Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Get the Charge podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Steven and I am the host, and joining me is my guy Tyler.
Speaker 1: Tyler, what's up man? How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing a fantastic first day of teaching and being paid for it. It was great, great first day with my kids. And listen, anytime you can walk into work after our Chargers victory, you're feeling pretty good. Sure it was just the preseason, but like it feels good to walk into work after our Chargers victory on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it certainly made the weekend more fun for sure.
Speaker 2: Obviously. You know, we both work in education. I'm at a year round school, though it was first day for you. My wife works in education. It was a first day back for her without kids. But so wishing all of my fellow educators some some good vibes. Sending it all to you guys as you you know, work towards a new school.
Speaker 1: Year, and I'm glad Tyler a great first day as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was awesome. Vibes out to all the people working in education. You deserve all the good things that happened this year.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: All right, So on today's show, we are going to dive into that preseason game. We've had some time to look at the data, look at the numbers, watch some film, and really be able to you know, kind of take a broader scope at really what happened on Saturday night in this Chargers preseason game, have some takes to fire away. We're also going to be doing a game ball segment every single week on this show. Again there's an instant reaction aspect of the game ball that's really tradition.
Speaker 1: Obviously CJ. A.
Speaker 2: Koy a great story, great moment, got it from the actual Chargers team. Tyler and I are kind of taking a step back this week and being able to, you know, really analyze who performed well. I felt like last or in twenty twenty one, I always would say on our show like I would retroactively change it to Rashaan and Slay. And so this year where we're doing in that, we're we're taking a step back and you know, we're choosing these guys after being able to watch some tape and look at the numbers. So we'll have that today as well to round out the show. As always, before we get started. Tyan and I are fans of the show. We are are not employees of the Charters organization, and as such, some opinions that we express on this show and every single week on the show are not reflected of the Charters organization. So we're very grateful for this platform and excited to dive back into this preseason game. We'll also have a little bit of a look ahead to next preseason game, some things that we're going to be looking for next week. So Tyler, what's up, man? You ready to dive in, dive back into this one, this one.
Speaker 4: Let's do it.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I love talking about wins.
Speaker 2: It's definitely way more fun to talk about wins. You know, when in preparation for this show, I was really kind of curious where we would start and who we wanted to highlight for their performances, And like I said, you know, there's a lot of great performances that I think we could talk about, but I think it's only right that we talk about Easton Stick and what he was able to do on Saturday Night because it was a performance that we have not really seen from any quarterback over the past few years. In the preseason and specifically I think we can look at certain things and how we might translate it to Justin Herbert so Tyler. Now that we have some time to reflect back of what Easton Stick was able to do on Saturday night, what stands out to you about what he was able to manage and perform and put out on tape from that performance against the Rams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was the best quarterback on the field that night and would have had an even bigger game if Quentin Johnston caught that one football, probably could have copped off a drive with a touchdown if Jamari Saler didn't have that holding penalty. You know the box score, it's like one hundred and nine yards or whatever it is. But it was a really, really solid performance and we've really started to see him take these apps in training camp then at the scrimmage and like, ah, there's always one penalty or something quite doesn't go right. And you know it wasn't perfect in the preseason game either, but you just saw him take so many steps forward in terms of managing an offense. The run game definitely helped him. We'll talk about that, but Eastern Stick, I think the one thing in particular that he did that we're not used to seeing is when there was pressure, it wasn't just abandon everything and run. It wasn't or it wasn't just I'm taking the sack here, or I'm going to scramble and oh I've lost seventeen yards.
Speaker 4: I run backwards.
Speaker 3: Eastern Stick's career in pressure to sack rate in the preseason has been like twenty one percent. It's not been great. When there's pressure, he goes down. Now, granted there's been some rough moments and that's sometimes on the offensive line, but someone like Justin Herbert, some of these great quarterbacks, what makes them great is a low pressure to sack percentage, and Eastern Stick faced five of those pressures on Saturday night. Pressure to sack rate was zero, and he threw zero turnover worthy plays.
Speaker 4: So there was no There really was.
Speaker 3: No negative play from Eastern Stick in that game, and that's something that we really haven't seen. So avoiding taking the sack, not making you know, a boneheaded throw and oh another interception. He really took care of himself and the football and the offense just looked so much better for it. And it's so great to see some of these guys, whether it's high Tower dos Stone, Smart, et cetera. These guys in training camp, the scrimmage and in the preseason they get something. Well, High Tower was hurt, but generally they've been getting work and shining on offense now and we're talking about so many different guys getting a roster spot because Easton Stick is putting it together. So I just I just Overhall and you can get into other specifics, but he's just been playing so much better and again protecting the football, protecting himself, letting other guys work. It's been quite a drastic turnaround for Easton Stick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know you mentioned just like the managing the game aspect was huge for him, and that's something that we've seen him take some little steps over the course of his career. Obviously, twenty twenty he didn't get to play in any preseason game because there were no preseason games. But if you just look at like how he's progressed throughout his career under pressure, Like you know, in twenty twenty one, his pressure to sack percentage was forty, which which you know, that was the first time he had played in a year, right, so it's understandable. Last year in twenty twenty two, it was thirteen. We'll see where it ends at this preseason, but it's at zero right now obviously, so that's a really positive step forward. You mentioned the turnover where he plays too, and so just like the game management aspect, I think he took such big strides in and that alone would be like awesome, this is great, like this is player development, this is this is a fantastic step for him. But we saw a very aggressive Eastern stick on Saturday night, And if you watched the great breakdown from Underdog Fantasy from Josh Norris and Colt McCoy, you know, they did a great breakdown on Kellen Moore and and Justin Herbert and how things could kind of translate, and you know, they highlighted that Kellen Moore's philosophy is to aggressively take what the defense gives you, and I love that phrasing, and I love how they illustrated how Dak did it, how Justin has done it in the past, and we saw some glimpses of that with Easton stick, and again I highlighted, you know, like that aspect of managing the game was great to see. His average depth of target on Saturday night was eight point nine yards. You know, that was up over two yards higher than what we have previously seen from East and Stick in the preseason. In twenty twenty one, his a dot was five point nine. In twenty twenty two it was seven point five. We're talking about a full two yards difference from what we've seen, you know, in eight point nine to a dot is a fantastic rate. Again, we'll see how that changes throughout the rest of the preseason. But he was taking shots. He was, you know, firing balls over the middle into these really tight windows. You mentioned that touchdown to Quentin Johnston. There was another pass that he threw to Donald Parham where he went his first route to the right was Quenton Johnston. Quenton wasn't open, and he came back over the middle on a third down and fired a missile over the middle to Donald Parham.
Speaker 1: For a third down conversion.
Speaker 2: And we just hadn't really seen that kind of aggressive mentality from easton Stick and that comfortability for him to say, Hey, like, I can fit this ball into that window, and I'm gonna trust my guy to go make it happen. And so I loved the way that, you know, I watched this video to hear that phrase of aggressive, aggressively taking what the defense gives you. And then Easton Stick went out and did it on Saturday night against the Rams, and it was just a fantastic performance by him all around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can hear all the time to take more deep shots and we're gonna do this, and then suddenly defense punches you in the mouth and you go, ah, never mind, maybe not this week. Well we'll try it against some other inferior defense. Look again, this wasn't like starters out there. Aaron Donald wasn't out there. But Easton Stick did take those shots. And I believe his big time throw rate tripled from his career. I think he has three big time throws in the preseason in three years with the Chargers, and then he added two just on Saturday. He just it looks different. And you know you asked about you talked about Justin Herbert a bit earlier, like, okay, how does this translate to him?
Speaker 4: Pretty comfortably?
Speaker 3: Because all respect to Easton Stick, Justin Herbert is a completely different tier in terms of throwing it down the field. So it's great to see that. And yes it is the preseason, it's vanilla. The defense isn't calling their greatest things, but you know, neither's the offense. It's great to see that what we've been seeing in practice is going to if they can translate to NFL games and in the regular season. And if you pair that with also this rushing attack that was really darn good too, which we will definitely get into today.
Speaker 4: Things are very exciting.
Speaker 3: Kellen Moore has done quite a bit and did a lot of a lot of talk to talk all the time. So far, it's been nothing but walk the walk.
Speaker 4: As soon as training camp hit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's one thing to do. And in practice, like you mentioned, where your quarterbacks are not getting hit, you know, of course they'll they'll have some sacks and team drills and things like that, but you know, you can still pull up and throw a deep shot to John high Tower, to Keenan, Allen Quintin, Johnson, Mike Williams, all these guys when you are in practice. But it's another thing to see it come to fruition in a game like this. And I thought Easton Stick was very calculated in how he took these shots. You know, there was none, there was not a ton of like pure designed deep shots. You know, we didn't see like a sprint rolled out to the right and I'm just gonna check it deep to Mike Williams, you know, fifty yards in the field on the opposite hash. There wasn't any of those plays. It was all Stick like reading the defense, taking shots, taking what the defense gave him. And I love the way that he played. You know, we saw Keeland Doss have a really nice corner route and Easton Stick was able to hold the safety with his eyes and it was a one to two progression and he took that shot to Keelan Doss. I thought that this week, we said this on our own show, you know, best performance of Easton Stick's career, and honestly like he looked like a completely different quarterback. And I think if that, if you take anything from that, you can take that kind of energy and mindset that Easton Stick had and realize who he's watching do it every single day in practice, which is Justin Herbert and the coaches that he's been around right now are pulling that out of him. And theoretically they're doing that same thing to Justin Herbert. And I think we've seen that and practiced thus far, so you know there was obviously a lot of what ifs about Kellen Moore's passing attack, and I loved what I saw on Saturday night with Eastan Stick at.
Speaker 3: The once again they we've now strung together, especially like you and I were talking to players or reading articles talking to Eric Smith. It's all about asking players to do something that maybe they were never asked.
Speaker 1: To do before.
Speaker 3: Maybe East and Stick would have been awful at those deep throws, maybe things wouldn't have been so great, but let's give it a shot. Let's see what he's got, Let's get our eyes up, push the ball downfield, and I would be really curious to see what wide receiver separation or nearest defender looks like in terms of analytics specific felt it felt like, yes, he was throwing down the field, but also felt like guys were open and by themselves with just one dB. It wasn't into a crowd, there weren't two other linebackers. It wasn't, you know, five feet from the line of scrimmage. It just felt different. So kudos to whoever it is, Kellen Moore, Brandon Staley overseeing everything, Doug mutt Nussmeyer, justin Herbert Easton Stick.
Speaker 4: Whatever.
Speaker 3: Kudos to them for resurrecting another twenty nineteen draft pick who I had written off. I say the same thing about Trey Pipkins last.
Speaker 4: Year wrought them off. Sorry after after.
Speaker 3: Three seasons and the way he looked in the preseason, it was like, okay, that's probably all we're getting. You know, some things don't work out, and Easton Stick this is the year five. Not many guys get that long, but it listen, they continue to have faith in him, and you know, in this brand and stay regime, guys are just developing way further. You know, sometimes maybe they get maybe you could say, even longer than they quote unquote deserve. Easton Stick is five years. That's a long time. But he did develop and they've continued to have faith in him.
Speaker 4: They've had the right coaches.
Speaker 3: It's been awesome to watch again Trey Pipkins last year. It's one game for Eastern Stick. I know, but we've been to training camp, practices, we've been to the scrimmage. You know, we see you know, read Daniel Popper's reports from the athletic like, it's just different with Easton Stick. But we're we're thirteen fourteen minutes into our conversation, we're talking about Eastern Stick's great performance, like this is really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just adds like a more entertaining aspect of the preseason, you know. And there's that, Yeah, the conservative nature of the offense in the past two years, like it just made it harder to really evaluate guys. And now Easton Stick is being aggressive. He's taken shots to guys like Keelan Doss. We'll see what happens when John Hightower comes back in practice. Who those who are are fighting for a roster spot and now you can really see what they can do because you have a quarterback taking chances like Easton Stick. So a ton of fun to watch and should be exciting to see the last two preseason games. All right, very on brand, I think we have to revisit the offensive line again because again we have the numbers, we have the film this into your offensive line put out an awesome performance and that's everybody. If you just look at the top six into your offensive line players who played against the Rams. Obviously you're talking about Zion Johnson, will clap, Jamary Sallier, the three starters, and then Jordan McFadden Brendan Himus and Zach Bailey, So those were your sick who played the majority of the game. Those those six players on Saturday night allowed four total pressures according to PFF. One of those from Jamari Sawiy I strongly disagree with I'm just gonna put that out there. It was off of a stunt, which to me was more just kind of a miscommunication between him and the right tackle. So really, you're talking about three pressures from this intier offensive line, and you want to talk about like projecting to the future, like you're gonna have Zion, Corey Lindsley, and Jamari Sawier just be able to set such a nice pocket for Justin Herbert throughout the season, and that's a huge aspect of why Easton Stick felt comfortable.
Speaker 1: Back there to take those shots.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't just those three, right Like we saw Jordan McFadden come in, we saw bren Heimis come in at center, Zach Bailey a right guard. Those three players combined for two pressures, Like those three players who are gonna be key depth pieces, well, you know, maybe not, but at least two of them will be key depth pieces going forward. And you want to see what those guys can do. And I was very, very encouraged from what that second unit did on Saturday night with Jordan mcfahn and Brendon Himus and Zach Bailey, and it was just a fantastic thing to watch. And we can talk about the Run Game too, but the three of them, excuse me, the six of them really set the tone in terms of pass protection in a way that we really had not seen in the previous years with those kind of players, So.
Speaker 1: Big kudos to them.
Speaker 2: I do want to talk about the Run game, but what did you make of those six into your players on Saturday night?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Man, it was awesome to see.
Speaker 3: And we will talk about the Run game because there's so much a part of that in the Run Game that they were obviously a part of naturally his offensive lineman, but I'm just so happy watching Zion Johnson play.
Speaker 1: Left guard and play it really, really well.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you had any rankings or tiers of who he thought maybe performed better or worse or whatever, but it's just great to see Zion out there. I don't know, it's such a small sample size, but it just looked like there was a comfort level there which was great to see. You know, Jamari's flipping back to right guard, saw him back to left guard. Things just look great, and honestly like it, Will Clap, it feels like it sometimes the butt of jokes because of a couple of games or a couple of moments.
Speaker 4: He's the backup center. You know, he's not Corey Linsley.
Speaker 3: There's a few guys that are in the same way that many guys are not Rashawn Slater, So any backup is just not going to be him. But Will Clap I thought had a really really solid game, has had a solid scrimmage, pretty decent training camp as is, like him getting into his second year with this team, I think he's.
Speaker 4: Doing really really well. I will then now.
Speaker 3: Mention the run game because it's an extension of what we saw at the scrimmage, where like towards, especially towards like the very last third, they decided to just enforce their will and things just looked better.
Speaker 4: Herbert looked more calm.
Speaker 3: The offense could move. Was it you know, big twenty yard runs. No, but it was like they were getting room, they were pushing, they were pushing, they were fighting. And so to see that now in the preseason game was awesome. And what's really cool is that Kellen Moore is doing this with the exact same pieces that they were there last year. Basically nothing has really changed. Some guys have flipped sides, you know, Brendanheimus is trying out center, but it's basically the same pieces and it's so good. And I'll kind of spoil what I said on our Chargers podcast Crossover that'll drop Wednesday, so tomorrow when you're when you're watching this. In three games in twenty twenty one and three games in twenty twenty two, the Chargers rushed for one hundred and seventy seven yards and one hundred and sixty six yards in three games.
Speaker 4: In each of those years.
Speaker 3: In just one Kellen Moore preseason game, their running backs rushed for one hundred and eighty six yards.
Speaker 4: Just the one game.
Speaker 3: And like you said, it wasn't just you know, Joshua Kelly came in and had you know, one hundred yards and great, of course he's like he's the number two running back of then Isaiah Spiler had eighty and that's it. No, it continued throughout the rest of the game, Like guys will continue to be successful because even the third rotation came in and looked really really good blocking pass protection, like you said, obviously in the run as well, and just to see the Chargers in particular, like the running up the middle is inefficient. Running up the middle is inefficient. It's more inefficient than running outside obviously, but the Chargers still, like Josh way Kelly is still averaged over eight yards per carry up the middle, as I spilled over five yards per carry up the middle. That's because of these these guys on the interior. So you know, we're seeing the Chargers invest in the interior offensive line pretty repeatedly in the brand and Stalely era, and it's paying off because their second rotation is really really strong. And I think that Brandon Staley is a really smart guy and understands, you know, even just watching Aaron Donald, the way things have progressed. Defensive tackles are becoming just as valuable as edge rushers if you can rush the passer. So the CounterPunch to that is not just getting Rashaun's SLA, but it's getting Jamar, it's getting Zion, it's getting McFadden, getting Himus. You know, Corey Linsley, who they signed, it's continued to invest in that interior because it's just as important to protect that as much as it is.
Speaker 4: Just the tackles.
Speaker 3: So good for the regime for the last three seasons for investing in these guys. It's paying off and they have the right coordinator pushing the right buttons.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I loved watching those first two drives and the way that they were calling those run games. You know, there was a statistic mentioned on the Athletic Football Show that Austin Eckler was like the fourth most efficient running back on duo, which is an inside run, you know, and the Chargers really like to do it out of twelve personnel, which is two tight ends. And that was what we saw a lot of on Saturday night. We saw a lot of duo, We saw a lot of inside zone, and we saw some trap plays featuring Zion specifically as a polar. There was one play that was nullified from holding penalty, which there were two penalties that nolified like really explosive runs. Both unfortunately were runs that Isaiah Spiller carried the football. So poor guy got I think like at least eighty yards taken off of his total on Saturday night, because of some holding penalties. But I just love the intentionality of getting these guys into situations where they feel comfortable. And Zion talked about it today, you know, Isaiah Spiller talked about it on Chargers Weekly about how much everybody is really excited about running the ball and how the downhill approach is featuring these guys well, and you brought up Will Clap, and I thought Will Clap had an outstanding performance on Saturday Night.
Speaker 1: And I know that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, there's a drop off in terms of like pass protection plan and the ability to communicate when you go from Corey Lindsay to Will Clap, Like that's just the nature of the business. But individually, I thought Will Clap was really solid last year, and I think you should feel really comfortable about him being your backup center. I think he's a solid backup center and I think he showed that on Saturday Night. And the guy that I really want to highlight here is Zach Bailey, the right guard who came in for Jamari Sawier. We've heard from Brandon Staley at press conferences. We heard from Brandon NuGen in his you know interview with Eric Smith that the Chargers are really high on Zach Bailey. And this is a guy who they claimed off of waivers from the Washington Commanders, where he had mostly played tackle. That's what he did last preseason, and so to hear how highly they viewed him as a potential guard coming into this preseason, I was kind of confused.
Speaker 1: Honestly.
Speaker 2: I was like, Okay, like, he's a he's mostly played tackle for you. Now you're switching in positions and you really are are you know, thrilled with this guy? So just like I wanted to see what he looked like in a game. And we've heard some some good things about practice, but it just looks different in a game, right, And so he comes out in his first preseason game at right guard, he only allows one pressure. And if you look at the rushing statistics, the Chargers went to the right side, which you know, definitely features some Jamari, definitely features some Zion polling like I mentioned, but that was a lot of Zach Bailey. And so if you look at their rushes to the right side, they went twelve carries seventy two yards for an average is six yards per carry, and that's featuring Zach Bailey. That's what they did last year was Zion with Zion after Rashaan Slater went down, as they featured that right side more and they looked at Zach Bailey and said, let's feature him. You know, he's gonna be the focal point of our rushing attack. And he rewarded them with some great blocks. Like I loved watching that unit perform, you know, specifically with Will Clapp and Zach Bailey. And I thought Bailey was outside of easton Stick. I think Bailey was the best player on the offense on Saturday night.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, the best player outside of East and Stick on offense.
Speaker 4: That's listen. You love your offensive line.
Speaker 2: Zion played seven snaps, I will say. I will say Zion played seven snaps.
Speaker 1: You know great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I certainly didn't hone in on Zach Bailey, but I'll take your word for it.
Speaker 4: I'll have to go back and watch him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just really like you have a ton of confidence, and you know, this was the first game for Jordan mcfahnen and a guard as well. There were definitely some learning moments for him. You know, I thought his penalty on Isaiah Spiller was just unfortunate timing. But you know he's switching positions, the timings different, the communication is different, and I think you come away from that performance very very encouraged, and you have this backup trio of into your offensive linemen that I feel really comfortable with. You know, I think we highlighted the offensive tackle depth last week and our concerns there. I feel great about the interior offensive line depth, which like is pretty crazy to say considering the team that we love watching and their history with backup into your offensive lineman. But all three of these guys I thought played really well. They've all had good camps, and I think that this group is going to really be, you know, the focal of the rest of the preseason. I don't know how much more we're gonna see Zion and Jamari play, but Jordan mcfahn and Will clap in Zach Bay that I think you feel great about as a backup into your offensive line trio.
Speaker 3: Do you feel any differently, I'm guessing better about the chances of then Jamari being the other actual swing tackle, Like we've sort of talked about it, but they haven't moved him. But the more you see from this offensive line's interior, like if you you said, Zach Bailly was amazing. If you're seeing that, you're seeing McFadden developed, granted as a left guard, you've seen this interior improve.
Speaker 4: And look really good.
Speaker 3: Are you more like kind of stock up on the idea that Sawyer could actually be that that sort.
Speaker 4: Of swing tackle or.
Speaker 2: I I mean I would love to, Like if he's your swing tackle, I think you feel great about that, but I think that they would still kind of prefer to keep him there and maybe maybe bring in somebody else at tackle before you move him. Like, if there's two injuries at offensive tackle, then I think you put Jamari back out there. But the double edged short here is like, yes, Jamari's proven that he can be a quality offensive tackle, but it's like, ideally you want him to find a long term home and I think that his best position is on at right guard, you know, and and so ideally he doesn't come to that point and Jamori gets to stick at right guard. Obviously you don't want any injuries, right but you know, for Jamari's sake, I think his long term best position is at right guard, and hopefully he's able to stick it out there.
Speaker 3: Not to be this guy, but you did focus on the offensive line, and we've sort of left out a name here, so I am a little curious how you felt Foster Ceryl fared in his sort of debut.
Speaker 4: I guess of the preseason.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was it did not live up to what I was hoping for. Foster's a young player, you know, he was an undrafted free agent, and he's definitely more comfortable in his own skin. I think you can see that. But there were some some tough moments in the second half, and the second sack against Max Duggan was was not great. I thought that both he and Austin Pleasants had some tough moments. They had some good moments too. There was a there was one rep against Byron Young I think his name is number zero for the Rams where Foster was able to trap him and get him to the ground, and we hadn't really seen him do that. So there was definitely some growth. But I thought both of the tackles had some tough moments as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just curious.
Speaker 4: I hate to bring that up, but you know there's tackle depth to talk.
Speaker 2: You gotta talk about it, you have to for sure. So yeah, that's offensive line talk. Satisfying my personal quota, which we always have to get on the show because I'm a big offensive line guy. Tyler, who did you want to highlight next after Saturday Saturday Night's performance?
Speaker 3: Oh goodness, anybody on the defensive line, to be completely honest, but let's go with Let's go with Chris Rumf. I think that look I understand And people even made the comments while this was happening.
Speaker 4: Chris Ruff has.
Speaker 3: Been great in the preseason, maybe kind of shies away and goes away during the regular season doesn't quite live up to what the preseason looks like. But there was just a display of stringing either pass rush moves together or just power that Chris Rump had that You're really starting to see what looks like a complete pass rusher out there. And you know, I don't know how strong the Rams feel about their tackles. It seems like the whole thing is in flux. But he went out there and looked like they're best defender and then just got to sit down. Like the way he was rushing the passer and the ferocity that he has, He's improved so much. Like this was a guy at Duke who was like playing sort of like Tully, but he was smaller and like playing a lot of linebackery stuff and going out in college. The transformation to what he is now, both in body type, play style, and even just where he plays is tremendous. Like Brandon Saley has really taken this player, given him, you know, enough reps now sometimes he just had to because of injuries, but they really built this player, Chris Romp to improve and I think that while it was very limited action, there was so much to like about what he could do. Then you pivot to the twenty year old in Tuley, and this is really I guess, both of them together, it's the best edge three edge four situation they've had in the Telesco era, and I almost think that's by far. I could argue they've had maybe a better edge three that being a Chenna and Wosu at the time, but they haven't had they haven't had an edge four, like whether it's whether it's Chris Romp or it's Tuley, they have not had a situation like this in quite some time.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I went and looked back at the.
Speaker 3: Chiefs game in twenty twenty, in Herbert's debut, and that trio Ingram Bosa and Wosu had nineteen pressures, a sack, multiple run stops, et cetera. They could do whatever, and it allows like Jerry Tillery to have six pressures in Asako whatever.
Speaker 4: We ended up having that game.
Speaker 3: You know, we've I've talked about, We've talked about Morgan Fox is another step forward, breakout candidate. The defensive line is coached by Jade Rodgers, and that group looks awesome. You've got both, You've got Mac and I've got two lead. Now you've got Chris rum looking even better. It's just tough to not get excited for this rotation. I think that Edge three and Edge four, both those guys in like the twelve snaps they had or whatever it was, it's all I needed to see.
Speaker 1: They looked great.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you decided to go with Chris rump here because, like I understand, last year, he had some really good moments in the preseason. But for me, like looking back at that, it was a lot of just like sheer effort and get off because he does have a great get off and he has ridiculously high motor, but his arsenal has really come a long way and his power has come a long way. That was something that Derek Ansley talked about today that you know, he didn't put on a ton of weight, I don't think, like he's definitely stronger, and you see that explosiveness on display went from his sack. You know, he did a long arm stab on this backup offensive tackle and the tackle like had to jump back like he like you visibly see him move this offensive tackle off of his spot, and then he had a great finish on the quarterback. We just didn't see that kind of stuff last year. And yeah, it's a preseason game, but again, like progress is progress. You see that display of violence and physicality that we hadn't really seen much of his pressure where him and aim in Ogbong Wmiga, who I wanted to talk about as well today as well, Chris Rumf had a cross shot move which I had never seen him do, and he was able to flatten and bend and get to the quarterback and was like inches away from getting a strip sack on Brett Rippian. So yeah, like he played well in the preseason last year, but like you really see some big strides from him just in terms of his physicality, in terms of his technicality, as well, and I think we've seen that in practice too, so it's not like this was just a one off performance where yeah, like maybe he just like beat somebody to the spot and maybe he just chased somebody down. Like he's actually showing that he's a legitimate pass rush option now. And you know, there's been a lot of talk about like Tully being like clear age three Chris rumpfmind has somebody to say about it, man, And I think both of these guys are ultimately gonna end up playing some big roles for this team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't expect the newfound power that Chris has had because that's kind of what I felt like with Tuley. Although Tuley says he's more of a technician than a power guy, which I thought was interesting, which, hey, great, I'm cool with that because he's really powerful, so if he also wants to be a technician.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 3: But I didn't really expect Chris to then continue with that and get that strength that you know, maybe he hasn't really had really more in particular against.
Speaker 4: The run, so he can do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's really an edge three ab situation more than a three and a four here and.
Speaker 4: We've talked about how Chris is so.
Speaker 3: Vile to this pass rush and has been on stunts, how successful they were. I don't see any reason to take him off the field.
Speaker 2: That's it's pretty reminiscent to the receiver situation right now with Palmer and Quinton Johnston. So I'm really excited to see this come to fruition. You know, like the pass pass rush depth last year was such an issue and we got to see Brandon Statey really crank up that Brits that blitz rate. This year, he might not have to do that, you know, and it's going to be very interesting to see the ramifications there. I mentioned Amen, I wanted to highlight him because I thought that he played a fantastic game as well. He wore the green dot for the I believe the whole first half, so he was calling plays, communicating and just felt so much more comfortable back there as he was able to sift through traffic and diagnose plays. There was, you know, that play at the goal line that I tweeted out.
Speaker 1: It was kind of about j T.
Speaker 2: Woods, but it was also about Amin Agwong with me of the play after the unsportul conduct penalty where at that point the rams are at the two and a half yard line two yard line on first and so you really have to like set the tone on that first down and play in a goal to go situation and augment. Amen was able to shed the block of the guard and come out and be able to get the running back down and then J. T. Woods came up and clean up the rest of the play, which speaks highly of what J. T. Woods and his development too. But Amen was the one who started that Aiman I mentioned his pressure against the where Chris Rumf almost got the strips sack. Amen was was up against the running back and just blew this running back off of his feet, like.
Speaker 1: It was a great Bowl rush that we saw.
Speaker 2: There was another play where Amen was kind of over the left guard, but like behind the left guard to start, and the the rams of motion to the right, so he ended up kind of flowing to the opposite side and then he cut back underneath and got a tackle for loss. Like it was a great play from Amen. And I think that, you know, there's been a lot of rush to see what this linebacker unit can look like, and I think Amen has been incredibly consistent throughout training camp. And on Saturday night he just looked calm, collected, very similar to how we felt about East and sixth performance. And then he was able to take shots, shoot gaps, get tackles for losses. Average has to tackle on Saturday night was two yards, which is a really, really good number. And I think you feel great about this linebacker depth if Aiming can really be a consistent and reliable force, if he needs to step in for Eric Kendricks, and I think he's on track to do that. I want to see some more steps, but I thought that he was one of the best players on defense.
Speaker 1: If not Chris Rump, I think Amin would probably be my choice there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a sneaky story I guess to follow throughout the season. Not Aman necessarily, but just what is both being in Brandon's daily system for many years now, but also the effect of Eric Kendricks and the effect of Jeff Howard having on these linebackers, because you know, we've seen it from Kenneth Murray of course, and his development and getting closer to the line of scrimmage, making places behind the line of scrimmage. But yeah, someone like Amin agbanglamiganaw who.
Speaker 4: It's one preseason game.
Speaker 3: I totally get that, but he was affecting at the line of scrimmage, two pressures I think, four tackles, two run stops or whatever it was. He's making plays closer to the line of scrimmage. It just seems like whoever you want to give credit to him, even Derek Ansley for communication, Jeff Howard Daley, things are just moving slower for these linebackers, and they're diagnosing so much better.
Speaker 4: And I think maybe that's also.
Speaker 3: Partially just due to the defensive line playing so well, like Jay Rodgers just unleashing anybody you can find. They're getting plays. But these linebackers are looking so good, and Amen is starting to be one of those guys, a player that had potential undrafted free agent, but they did draft Nick Neeman, and I always kind of wondered, why are you not playing more of Nick Neeman? Maybe I still kind of wonder that, But there's some way that a men can play where he is a guy who can affect near the line of scrimmage, who can rush the passer. But there was never really like that diagnosing that was going on in the same way like it was on Saturday.
Speaker 4: So I'm glad you pointed him out.
Speaker 3: I think it was so it's so quick to look at the guys on the other side of him, right the two starters in front of him, or Dayan Henley behind him who's currently not starting overplaying in the next group over him. It's easy to overlook Amen. But he's been good and they have a lot of faith in him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think stylistically like he's he's probably the closest one they have to to Kendricks. You know, there's a lot of space and chase linebackers in the NFL, and there's just kind of that element of physicality that you need to play in the middle as the green doc caller that Eric Kendricks.
Speaker 1: Has and I think that Aimen has as well.
Speaker 2: All right, Tyler, your final takeaway for maybe from a player performance, who do you want to highlight last?
Speaker 4: Give me?
Speaker 3: He won't be my game ball because he already got one. I do want to talk about c J o'coy real quick, Yeah, because I mean I was talking to Emily Words, who covers you know, the NFL internationally and works with the international players and player relations.
Speaker 4: She's known him for a.
Speaker 3: While and you know they met at NFL Africa camp in Ghana last year and he was playing offensive line. He's like, hey, I don't like getting hit. I want to just I want to hit people.
Speaker 4: That's what I would like to do.
Speaker 3: So he switches to defense and OCEU Minia you know, identifies him. He attends the International Player Pathway Combine or whatever it was, gets to join the Chargers, plays in the first organized football game of his career and gets a sack and es fears something ever played football or an organized fashion like this in a game and he gets a sack and it's kind of you know, an assist sack. You know, I think it would have gone to I believe Gerard Clark if you could have finished that play. But okay, you got a sack man, And that is one of the coolest stories. And the sideline just went ballistic, you know, Brandon Steley gave him the game ball. One of the best stories of the year. Could be almost a movie at this point. Yeah, it was awesome to see.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was one play.
Speaker 3: I think it's the only play he even showed up in the stat sheet. But it's one of the coolest plays I've seen, because what a story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the.
Speaker 2: Scale of difficulty of that sack I think should not go unnoticed either because he it was a stunt play and he would looped all the way around to the other side. You know, he basically come off of came off of the left side and Yadjerward Clark certainly kind of started the play, but he had to chase down Stetson Bennett, and Stetson Bennett.
Speaker 1: Is a fast quarterback.
Speaker 2: Like It's not like he chased down you know, Davis Mills or one of these others Jared Goff or guys who are not are a little bit on the slower side like sets of Bennett's is a pretty above average athlete.
Speaker 1: You at the position. We've seen.
Speaker 2: We saw him light up college football with his legs, and so, you know, the scale of difficulty should not go unnoticed there. I thought it was a great play overall, and just like the moment of seeing the team come together, the celebration on the sideline, like every player on the team like went over and said something to him and felt like there was clips of Quinton Johnson going up to him. There's clips of other guys going up to him on the offensive side of the ball. You know, it just was such a cool moment, and then obviously the game ball after the game. You know, today he's getting love on Good Morning Football. You know, obviously Chris Harry did a feature on him for CBS leading up to the game. It's just like, I think what the NFL is all about, and you know a lot of times we see these international pathways guys come in and it's just kind of like it's just it's just a struggle for them, you know, making that kind of jump. And not to say that it hasn't been for CJ, but to have this kind of moment, it was truly incredible.
Speaker 1: And I think, you know, there's this man looked.
Speaker 2: There's some really intriguing physical traits here, Like he's the guy is six seven, he's massive, Like he's a big dude, and so we'll see what happens there. But you know, he got to have his moment in his first NFL game. Like I think that's another thing too, Like this was his first organized football game. You know, this isn't some guy who had been playing in Germany for like four years or something like that, Like this was his first real football game playing and getting a snack which is just, you know, such a rarity, and it was, like I said, it was a great moment to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't wait to see where it goes from here. I don't recall exactly how it works roster wise, but I mean you get to learn from Jay Rodgers and some very very good players. You talk about Morgan Fox being a mentor for a long long time, you know, for whether it's just the year or however long it is.
Speaker 4: It's it's an awesome story.
Speaker 3: It was really really cool to see that, and the sideline celebrations for everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, great, great call there to uh to celebrate CJ. All right, Tyler, who is your game ball going to be? I'm very curious to see where you end up going with this, uh this decision here.
Speaker 3: So just to clarify, are we doing offense and defense or just one game ball?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Let's just do one for today? Okay?
Speaker 3: Then I will go with Darius Davis, who we have not mentioned really I don't think so so far, and I actually want to talk about I believe it was the two minute drill where he caught a short pass and blue passed the defender, turned the corner and got a first down in that two minute drill.
Speaker 1: That was awesome.
Speaker 3: But okay, the play of the day was the punt return for a touchdown, and boy, he is bad as confident as anybody could look returning his first real punt in the NFL and just going for a touchdown. I couldn't believe that. He just started to jog after he caught the ball. It looked very like he was very like John Snow, you know, at the Battle of the word I can't say on the show, drawing the sword and just ready to chart.
Speaker 4: He was just very confident.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm doing this and then boom he takes off and goes for a touchdown. Like there is just something different I saw day one in practice nopads, some guys just are faster than others, and Darius Davis is really fast. And you know, rarely do I get to see and do the math in my head where I can see about where he is relative to the other players and go, oh, yeah, he's gone, you know, and he's got forty yards left, but you know he's gone.
Speaker 4: Because he's that fast, and he was. It was awesome to see.
Speaker 3: I'll give him a game ball for contributing both on and then really just finally showing why they drafted him, because it's been a long time coming. We've had to be really patient through the off season with Darius Davis because he's been like wide receiver maybe eight in terms of like production on the team. Some guys like buying them dos obviously high tower, more productive than him. But you drafted him for really one reason, and that was to be a returner and lo and behold touchdown And.
Speaker 4: If that's what we're getting this season to go with the run game we just.
Speaker 3: Talked about and the development at the quarterback and the offensive coordinator, I mean, come on, man, it's good stuff.
Speaker 2: It is it's it is great stuff. I'm glad you brought up the key conversion too. It's just the speed level is really really exciting there. I'm excited to see how that continues to develop. I forget which account I was, but I think it was twenty one point eight miles per hour officially on the on the punt return. And for that to be for him jogging, it's pretty crazy. I would love to see what foll speed looks like there sometimes soon mister Darius Davis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, alright, who's your game?
Speaker 1: Ball for the game all.
Speaker 2: Right, So we talked about a lot of guys today. You know, I mentioned how I thought that Zach Bailey played. I think that could be a choice here, but I do want to give this game ball to Andrew Farmer, the pass rusher. I thought that he was really a pleasant surprise for me. Like we've seen a couple moments here and there, but not a ton of reps. And so for him to come into this game and have the three pressures, get the sack, get a run stoff, get a tackle for loss, and it's not just like he had some splash plays. His pass rush win rate on PFF was twenty five percent, which is like number tenth in the league in terms of edge rushers. Had at least ten pass rush naps in Week one of the preseason, so he was highly effective on a down to down basis. He had the splash plays. You know, this is another guy who has really come a long way out of an HBCU. You know, the Charger spotted him at the HBCU combine, and you know that's an area where the NFL I think could do a really better job of finding talent, and they took a chance on Andrew Farmer as an undrafted free agent, and he played incredibly well in his first game in the NFL too. So I want to give a shout out to Andrew Farmer and give him the game ball tonight.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't recall there being any discussion about Andrew Farmer really prior to training camp, and really threw out a lot of it and understandably so, nobody had any film on him.
Speaker 4: We were very lucky to get the games that we did, and you could just see that maybe.
Speaker 3: Like he wasn't obviously that he was undrafted, right, and there's kind of a reason for it. Part of it is also competition that he faces, but you could see there was something there. Whether it's you loved it more as a pass rusher. I liked it more as a run defender.
Speaker 4: He did both.
Speaker 1: So good for him.
Speaker 4: He looks really really good.
Speaker 1: The motor looked great.
Speaker 4: Will he make the team.
Speaker 3: I don't so because I think they're just gonna stick with four and it almost wouldn't have mattered what anybody else did, but Andrew Farmer. You know, HPCU player rarely discussed player if at all. For him to go out in his debut, and look that good is awesome, and you could have gone with several different head rushers or defensive linemen. But if I didn't go with Darius Davis, I would have gone with Andrew Farmer. So we're right on the same page with that one.
Speaker 2: There we go, all right, to wrap up this conversation today, you know, during the season, we'll have a bit more of a balance between like what happened previously and looking ahead to the game. So we'll briefly talk about the preseason game that's coming up against the Saints. Obviously they have joint practices, so with the Saints, I'm excited to see what Matt and Chris's takeaways are from being up there, up close and personal on Thursday morning. But Tiler, what's one thing maybe lingering question or one thing that you want settled after the Saints game?
Speaker 3: Depends on participation. But is John high Tower taking that next step?
Speaker 1: Is that for real?
Speaker 3: I believe he returned to practice today, did not practice fully all the way through, So we'll see how things go. But I would imagine if he's getting close and knowing he's only got one more game after that, I would imagine he's trying to get out there, and I really want to see if what we've been seeing in practice translates. He's got the quarterback to do it now, so we feel really good about that. Can John high Tower go in and be the guy to push and secure almost that wide receiver six spot that is sort of vacant right now because of Jalen Kitan's injury, So I would love to see what he can do in some legit action because we haven't really seen that just yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, High Towers a great call. You know, this.
Speaker 2: Is kind of turning into more of a battle than I think people are letting on because Keilan Dass has really kind of been a pretty steady presence for East and Stick and that second unit had some great catches on Saturday night as well. So how does that position battle kind of come to Fruition is certainly a key point for the next two weeks. You and I have talked about previously. They're the Chargers really like to keep ten defensive backs, whether that's six corners, four safeties, five corners, five safeties. I think they can be flexible with that, but right now that that tenth spot is is really up for grabs.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 2: You know, we've seen Mark Webb come on recently. He started in the preseason game. Obviously we know Raheem Lane is a great special teams player, just brings kind of a different element of physicality. But Cam Brown had himself a really solid performance on Saturday night too, and he got to go up against some some starting caliber receivers. Puka Naku is going to play a key role for the Rams, so he had he forced two incompletions on Saturday night. He only allowed nineteen total yards as as a cornerback on six targets, so he had a really solid day. So this this tenth spot, I think is is really up for grabs. You know, Taiwan Mullen was having himself a really good day I felt like as well before the injury, which I think is not super serious, but we having got an update there, So that tenth defensive back spot, Like, if Cam Brown really starts to build some momentum, maybe he kind of makes him self essential. Maybe Mark Webb is able to really put it together get a turnover next week. So that tenth defensive back spot I think is a key point to focus on next week and the next week after that as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great call.
Speaker 3: I didn't consider Cam Brown. There's a point of the roster where you start like, Okay, who's that guy again? But he was making his presence really no and yeah against the past, but also like tackling, and I think that's something.
Speaker 4: I think he ended up with three or four tackles and a run stop or something was really strong there. So I'd love to see his development. I feel like, if you had to pick, then is it redundant to have Mark Webb also on the roster.
Speaker 3: With Raheem Lane Maybe, but they love him, so yeah, that's a good call. I didn't even consider the tenth dB spot there, and yeah, could be a good one.
Speaker 1: I think with.
Speaker 2: Maybe potentially wanting more bodies to play the slot this year, I think that might be away from Mark Webb and Raheem Lane to both earn a spot this year. Lane's definitely more established on special teams. I feel like at this point, Lane's I believe, a starter on three of the four core special teams units, so Bryan Pickin really values his performance there. I don't believe Mark Webb is I think he's a starter on punt return. I'm not sure what else, but so that's obviously a key battle there, and then like I said, maybe Cam Brown forces his way in there, Tomlin mullen. So we'll see how it goes on that end. So, Tyler, any final thoughts before we head out tonight and get out here.
Speaker 3: Hoping for another win man and hopefully everyone gets through practice okay, healthy, safe and all that. Hopefully nobody starts any fights. Can't think of anyone in particular who would do that. Everything goes well.
Speaker 2: Yes, very excited to see the content come out of the joint practices. Obviously not a lot of starters playing in the preseason, so you know, we'll get to see Rareshaun Slater versus Cameron.
Speaker 1: Jordan in practice.
Speaker 2: You know, we'll get to see you know, Sante and jac Ego up against Chris o'lobby and Michael Davis of course, and Michael Thomas and so just gonna be a great couple practices. I hope, you know, we get to see some really cool moments there. But yeah, excited to see how this next preseason game turns out as well. Special thanks to Greg Kim for producing tonight's episode. Can't think the Chargers enough for continuing to give us this platform. Hopefully all of you guys have enjoyed this episode. Please do us a favor and leave us a rating on this platform. If you do, if you mind to take the couple of moments there and subscribe to this channel as well as our own The Guiltiest Charge podcast, that's gonna do for us tonight. We'll see you guys next time, and as always, both up