Speaker 1: Good morning. I'm Abe Morris and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: We begin with developments on the fourth indictment of Donald Trump. Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis has proposed a trial date of March fourth and to whold arraignments for defendants the week of September fifth. A number of Republicans are withholding or deflecting criticism of the former president. Georgia Republican Representative Buddy Carter tells us he thinks the latest indictment is politically motivated.
Speaker 3: This latest indictment, I mean, this is ridiculous. Here We've got a former president indicted for the fourth time by justice system. There's weighed against it. This indictment in Georgia is not about justice, is about revenge. And you know, there are one hundred and fifty nine counties in the state of Georgia. If I had not known where this one was coming from, I would have guessed I would have said, hey, I bet as Fulton County, and it is Fulton County because Fulton County has long been a bastion for Democratic Shenanis in the state of Georgia.
Speaker 2: Georgia Representative Buddy Carter was a guest on Bloomberg's Balance of Power, speaking with Anne, Marie hor Dern, and Joe Matthew. You can catch that program weekdays at five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Television.
Speaker 1: Well, I may return from politics now to Hawaii. Officials still determining the lives lost and economic impact of the wildfires that rip through Maui. Harrowing stories from the disaster are also coming to light. This man jumped into the ocean to escape the flames.
Speaker 4: We had no warning, We had nowhere to go, no warning at all.
Speaker 5: You know, it was just complete chaos in the streets and people were burning alive.
Speaker 1: And the cause of the fire is still under investigation. But we're seeing continued pressure on the power company at the center of it all. Hawaiian Electric Industries, faces a new lawsuit blaming its equipment for starting the blazers. Witnesses say some of Hawaiian Electric's power polls blew over during an August eighth storm. They alleged that down power lines ignited grass fires that quickly mushroomed.
Speaker 2: And with Hawaiian the Electric losing half its market value in the wake of those fires, it is exposing a liability to an already vulnerable regional bank. Hawaiian Electric owns and operates American Savings Bank, which has been grappling with regional banking turmoil from earlier this year. The wildfire may force the bank to set aside more in provisions for bad loans. That's according to a Wells Fargo analyst.
Speaker 1: When we turn to the markets now, Amy and we got minutes from the July FED meeting yesterday, and it's fanning concerns that the central bank will continue to raise interest rates. The minutes show to FED officials see upside inflation risk that may merit more tightening. Steven Stanley is chief US economist at Santander US Capital Markets.
Speaker 6: I have one more hike coming in November, but I think we're getting close. I think that, you know, the big theme now is how long are they going to have to stay on hold at this point it you know, I think the markets are in a big hurry to transition from no move to easing, and I just don't think the FED is going to be that quick.
Speaker 1: And Stephen Stanley with Santander says the FED is staying more hawkish than markets had expected.
Speaker 2: Meantime, savings accounts for many Americans are dwindling, according to a study from the San Francisco FED, saying many US consumers have almost depleted those excess savings. Bloomberg's at Baxter brings us that story.
Speaker 7: These excesses built up during the pandemic, but the FED says they will probably be exhausted in the current quarter. This has been a key support for consumer spending that has boosted the US economy this year. Estimates are now showing household disposable income is lower now, while personal consumption is still higher than it was previously reported in the fourth quarter of last year. But the diminishing savings, it says, is consistent with a slow down in consumption on the horizon and increased price sensitivity in San Francisco. I'm at Baxter, Bloomberg Gay break all.
Speaker 1: Right and thanks so we could get more insight on the US consumer this morning when Walmart reports, are you get more from Bloomberg? Simone Foxman.
Speaker 8: Evercore Isi says they could see a beat and a raise here, even as shares near all time highs Walmart benefiting from a consumer that increasingly is trading down, especially on staples like food and other.
Speaker 1: Grocery items, and Bloomberg Simon Foxman says yesterday's results from Tjmax and Target show consumers are still spending, but they're also hunting for bargains.
Speaker 2: Shares of Cisco are hired this morning, up two percent in pre market after a solid earnings report. Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett with those details.
Speaker 9: Cisco is the largest maker of computer networking equipment. On a conference call with analysts, CEO Chuck Robbins pointed to a shift to more subscription based services, which are expected to be more reliable than Cisco's traditional business selling network hardware. The company also said it is committed to increasing share repurchases and buybacks, and Cisco says it is taking advantage of the surge in jail native artificial intelligence in New York. Charlie Pellett Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: All right, Charlie, Thanks, and geopolitics this week, Argentina finds itself at the center of turmoil. The country's leading presidential candidate says he plans to close the country's central bank if elected. In an exclusive interview with Bloomberg, Haavier Malay says he'll slash public spending if he wins, and made light of the role played by the Central Bank.
Speaker 7: Well, what you do with the building is a problem of what you decide to do with it.
Speaker 9: It's a metaphor.
Speaker 10: What I'm saying is that the institution doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 1: And that's Argentina presidential candidate Howvier Malay speaking through a translator, if elected, also says he would freeze relations which China. This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you Kieren. Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael bar Good morning, Michael.
Speaker 11: Good morning Amy. As we mentioned earlier, the search is ongoing in Maui, where at least one hundred and ten people are known dead. Bloomberg's Nancy Lyons has more on the government's latest update on the Hawaiian disaster.
Speaker 10: FEMA administrator Dan Chriswell says the images the world is seeing of the fire devastation in Mali cannot fully convey what the people of the island are going through.
Speaker 8: It's the level of devastation from this fire and the feeling of loss.
Speaker 1: From such a culturally rich community that was really palpable everywhere that I went.
Speaker 10: Chriswell is back in Washington after overseeing operations in Mali. She says about seven hundred federal personnel are still on the ground there helping search and rescue teams look for victims in Washington. On Nancy lyons Bloomberg Daybreak, a.
Speaker 11: Former campaign aide who unbattled New York Congressman George Santos is now facing federal charges. According to a new indictment, Samuel Meely of New York was a campaign fundraiser linked to the Republican representative. Mealy is accused of impersonating a staffer of House Speaker Kevin McCarthy while contacting donors for Santos. He's charged with fraud in the same federal courthouse in which Santos is charged with fraud. A Texas woman was arrested after allegedly sending a racist and threatening voicemail to federal Judge Tanya Chuckin, who is assigned to the Special Council Election conspiracy case against former President Trump. Abigail Joe Shriye also allegedly used racist slurs and threats against Democrats in Congress and the LGBTQ community. Attorneys for the Towey family, made famous in the movie The blind Side, fired back against delegations they exploited former NFL star Michael Orr for a financial game. The family disputes or His claim that he recently learned that he had been tricked into sunning a document making them his legal conservators after they took him in when he was a homeless teenage football player. The twoies say Or knew about the arrangement and even wrote about it in his own book years ago. The two He's attorney Randall Fishman, this was some by the trader as a son who has made public these allegations that are just latercross The two Wes say Or his claims are all about a shakedown. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalist and analysts over one hundred twenty countries. I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg Gamy.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Michael. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update. For that we bring in John stash Hoard.
Speaker 12: Thanks Jamy Yank, Good morning Amy. Quite a week for the Atlanta Braids. They dismantled the Mets and then did likewise against the Yankees at City Field. They took three or four and those three wins were by a combined score of thirty four to three, and then they went home and swept the Yankees by combined eighteen to three. They won two to nothing, their fourth shutout over those last seven games. Charlie Morton in the Atlanta bullpen team and on a four hitter with thirteen strikeouts, Eddie Nsario in early two on homer. The loss is the Yanks fifth in a row, and it drops them under five hundred first time this season, first time this point in the season since nineteen ninety five. They did make the playoffs that season. That is extremely unlikely to happen this year. But Aaron Boone, even in his Darke as times ever optimist.
Speaker 5: We got nothing. Put ourselves to fix it and get going, and that's what we're going to continue to try to do. We're going to continue to come to work and work our butts off and try and get it rolling and hopefully get a streak going and starting at home on Friday.
Speaker 12: Boone's been saying all those things for a while now Matts mean while bet the Pirates eighty three two runs for DJ Stewart Pete Alonzo with his thirty six of the year. Mets hit eight homers in the three game series. Dodgers won their tenth game in a row last night. In the current episode of HBO's Hard Knocks, Jets coach Rob Salas shown laying into poor play by the Jets offensive line yesterday in a joint practice with Tampa Bay. That line, which is without three starters, let Aaron Rodgers get sacked six times. Rogers called the line play a work in progress. A fight broke out in the workout. Jets assist and Tony Odin heard his knee trying to break it up. Sala called at friendly fire. Olden had to be carted off taking to the hospital. Johns Stshawer Bloomberg sport.
Speaker 4: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SIRIUSXAM, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 2: And Good Thursday Morning. I'm Amy Morris. Republicans have ramped up their campaigns in Iowa. This is ahead of next week's Republican presidential debate. Some though, are finding themselves on a political tight rope. That's thanks to, believe it or not, an unemployment rate that's below the national average in Iowa. We're joined now by Greg Valley, chief US policy strategist at AGF Investments. Greg, it is always a pleasure. Let's start with a problem that may not be unique to Iowa, and it's a different kind of problem to have. They need more workers. There's a labor shortage, which means immigration is going to be a tough topic for Republicans on the debate stage.
Speaker 13: What say you, well, good morning, Amy, you're singing my song. I've been saying for over a year that one of the big economic problems in the US is a lack of workers. We have an acute shortage in much of the country. Immigration reform would help that, but there's no immigration reform pending in Congress, so this will continue as a big problem.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump, meanwhile, has said he's going to be sitting this particular debate out. We've been hearing this for several weeks. Now, is this wise?
Speaker 13: Well, if you're headed by as much as he is, yeah, I'd say it's probably wise. You don't want any unforced errors. But I have a hunt, Amy's that on the debate night, Donald Trump will find some way to inject himself into the limelight. He'll have a speech, He'll make some outrageous comment. I don't think he'll let the debate go by without attracting some attention to him.
Speaker 2: Well, and to that end, there is speculation about time for Donald Trump that he might consider turning himself into Georgia in time to steal the thunder from his rival Republicans on the debate stage. Is there anything to that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that I'll bets you're off. He's a master showman, He's phenomenal at self promotion. And I don't think he'll let the day go by without getting in the limelight in one way or another. In what you suggest is possible.
Speaker 2: The prosecutor in Atlanta, meanwhile, we've been talking about that this morning has timeline arraignments the week of September fifth, the trial to begin by March fourth. First of all, is that realistic? Secondly, don't defense attorneys get an opportunity to have us say in that? And third why so fast?
Speaker 13: Well, I think they would like to keep this in the limelight. And the main point I would make about Atlanta about Georgia is that this will take way over a year. Here we are now in getting into late August. I think maybe the trial will have begun by then, but I think there almost certainly will be appeals. Another thing Trump is very good at is appealing legal decisions. It could be twenty twenty five before all four of these huge cases are resolved. And it's not out of the question. If Trump should win and he and Biden are about tide, Trump could serve as president in jail.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, So I don't want to shift gears on that note, but I think we have to. We need to look at the GOP and what you've been seeing it doesn't look very much like a recession. That's also something you've been talking about.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's another big development this summer. I would say that the story that I think has caught the markets by surprise is how strong the economy is. The Atlanta Fed GDP now is out this morning with a new forecast for this quarter of economic growth of five point eight percent. I don't think we'll get that high. I think they're unrealistic. But even if it's at four percent, this is an economy that is far exceeding expectations.
Speaker 2: Now let's talk a little bit about President Biden, who has been touting his Inflation Reduction Act, and this is one of the things that he says is a product of that. Is that accurate?
Speaker 13: I think he needs to get some He deserves some credit. But the public is still nervous about inflation with good reason. Gasoline prices are going back up again, and while the economy is red hot, I think it would be premature to declare victory on inflation, so that continues to hurt Biden's prospects.
Speaker 2: He's also going to be going to Hawaii on Monday. He faced a lot of criticism before making this announcement. Is that going to be enough?
Speaker 13: Well, it's important, I think for him to show some empathy for this horrible trag and I think it might help him a bit. But for him, it really boils down to the economy and inflation, and maybe to a certain extent, Hunter Biden, but I think most voters care far more about the economy.
Speaker 2: Got about thirty seconds here. Before he goes to Hawaii, He'll be at Camp David. He's got an international summit with Japan and South Korea. What are you watching for.
Speaker 13: I think there may be a statement at the end of this talking about more cooperation, but I don't see any bombshells. I don't see any big, huge development coming out of this summit.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 2: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Amy Morris and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 1: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak