Speaker 1: Good morning. I'm Abe Morris and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Financial turmoil in Asia has been the focus all week long. Against that backdrop, we have a high profile meeting with Asian leaders at Camp David. Today, President Biden meets the heads of state from Japan and South Korea for a summit on global tensions. Bloomberg Daybreak Asia anchor Ed Bexter has that story.
Speaker 3: It is the Camp David Trilateral Summit, President Joe Biden hosting Prime Minister Fumio Kushia and President yunsuk Yuole Brigadier General Patrick Ryder speaking for the White House as very important event.
Speaker 4: What we expect to see to be significant outcomes that will cement our trilateral cooperation going forward. The deliverables that you'll see coming out of that will take that relationship to a new level.
Speaker 3: North Korea was a centerpiece of yesterday's UN Security Council meeting regarding human rights. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: All right, and thanks, And we have a politic we'll note this morning involving in Donald Trump. The former president has canceled a news conference plan for Monday, he had wanted to use the event to promote unfounded claims that the twenty twenty election was stolen. Trump says his lawyers urged him not to do so. Instead, the former president says he will make his case in legal filings.
Speaker 2: Moving overseas now, two China economic concerns in that country are still weighing on markets. China's state owned property developers this morning warning of widespread losses. Eighteen out of thirty eight builders listed in Hong Kong and China reported preliminary losses in the first half, and this morning, China's Evergrand Group filed for Chapter fifteen bankruptcy protection in New York. Dan Moss is a Bloomberg opinion columnist based in Singapore.
Speaker 5: We know the property sector is in trouble. If we're getting some quantifiable numbers from these private sector filings, then that's good because in otherwise China is closing off access to economic data. You'll recall early this Weekday said they would suspend publication of youth unemployment data. Just so happens that that data showed most recently a very high level of youth unemployment. Would they have suspended it if it was showing a very low level.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg opinion columnist Dan Moss says China's flattering or faltering, rather faltering economic growth and housing crisis are fueling concerns of contagion.
Speaker 1: And in the week of those concerns, Amy, China's central Bank is stepping of support for the yuan. The PBOC said it's daily reference rate for the currency at the strongest level ever. That's compared to estimates in a Bloomberg survey. We're also told Chinese authorities or telling state banks to ramp up intervention in the currency market.
Speaker 2: Staying in Asia now, we got fresh inflation data from Japan over night and for the first time in thirty years, price growth in services hit two percent in July. The acceleration is a long awaited development for the Bank of Japan as it looks for sustainable inflation before normalizing policy.
Speaker 1: Also happening in Japan today amy visit from the world's richest man, Elon Musk is in the country for his first known visit in nine years. The CEO of Teslas SpaceX and X formerly Twitter, arrived yesterday. It's his second trip to Asia this year. He was in China earlier, where he met with government officials and visited Tesla's Shanghai factory.
Speaker 2: And we have company news back here in the US, Goldman Sachs appears to be under pressure from the Federal Reserve. That's according to sources who say the regulatory scrutiny has Goldman going on a hiring spree. Bloomberg's Doug Krisner has those details.
Speaker 6: We're told Goldman is enlisting several hundred new staffers to help address concerns from US banking regulators, although it's unclear what deficiencies the pharma seeking to address. Last year, Goldman's effort to build out a new consumer bank was said to have set off questions from the FED, but the plan has largely been abandoned. Some managers blamed the failure for inviting regulatory attention, but to be fair, regulators routinely question large financial firms. Goldman executives privately described pressure from the FED over the past year.
Speaker 7: In New York.
Speaker 6: I'm Doug Krisner, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 1: All right, Doug, thanks. Severe weather also in focus this morning. We're seeing a powerful hurricane headed toward the southwestern US, and torrential rain could hit starting as soon as today, Bloomberg meteorologist Rob Carolyn has the latest on the storm that's building in the Pacific Ocean.
Speaker 8: Rob, Karen and Amy. Hurricane Hillary continues to intensify off the southwestern side of Baja California. The system is going to be moving northward along the western coast of Baja California. It will continue to intensify over the next twenty four hours, then as it gets over cooler water, it will weaken. Each track is going to bring gusty winds and some extremely heavy rain to portions of the southwestern California. Many areas in California as far north as Utah are under flesh flood watches and these will persist into the weekend. It looks like the rain continues to spread northward through the West early next week. I'm Rob Carolyn, Bloomberg daybreak, All.
Speaker 9: Right, Rob, thank you.
Speaker 2: Elsewhere in the South, we are seeing more spikes in Texas power prices. Spottalick tricity prices sarched six thousand percent as the state grid faces some of the tightest conditions so far this summer. Real time prices on the grid jumped to nearly five thousand dollars in megawatt hour, up from roughly seventy five dollars the day before. The Electric Reliability Council of Texas or ERCOT, is currently asking consumers to cut usage. If reserves stay narrow, it could trigger a so called Level one emergency that allows ARKOTT to call on more backup supplies.
Speaker 8: Thank you, Karen.
Speaker 2: Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that were joined by Bloomberg's Michael bar Good morning, Michael.
Speaker 7: Good morning. Amy, the head of the Mali Emergency Management Agency has resigned after facing criticism for not activating disaster sirens during last week's deadly wildfires that killed at least one hundred eleven people. The County of Maui announced that Herman and Daya cited unspecified health reasons for leaving his post on Wednesday, and day I defended the decision not to sound sirens, saying officials were afraid it would have prompted people to flee toward the mountains or inland, or into the flames. Meanwhile, FEMA spokesman John mills and Malvey says that the agency is taking a very somber and respectful approach to the tragedy.
Speaker 10: One of our Urban Search and Rescue Task Force leaders said this was the worst disaster he's ever seen, and that's coming from someone and the team that was involved in nine to eleven.
Speaker 7: Mills also said that FEMA is coordinating federal support with the state and is in no way taking over. The Justice Department is seeking thirty three years in prison for Enrique Tarrio, the former Proud Boys leader convicted of seditious conspiracy in the January sixth attack on the US Capitol. Tario and three lieutenants were convicted by a Washington jury in May of conspiring to block the transfer of presidential power in the twenty twenty election. A Mississippi judge has cited police errors in declaring a mis trial for two white men accused of chasing and shooting at a black FedEx employee who was making a delivery. Brandon Case and his father, Gregory Case, are charged with attempted first degree murder, conspiracy, and shooting into the vehicle driven by de Monterio Gibson. In January of twenty twenty two, Judge David Strong said he made the decision because of errors by a Brook Haven Police Department detective Parents are being urged to put childhood vaccinations on their back to school checklist. New York City Health Commissioner doctor Ashun Vassen says that he has focused on disease prevention among asylum seekers children entering schools.
Speaker 11: We're screening everyone and offering vaccination to everyone. The Department of Homeland Security and the CDC are offering COVID are giving COVID vaccinations at the southern border in New York.
Speaker 7: All childhood of vaccines, including shots from measles, polio, and chicken pot are required by state law. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than the twenty seven hundred journalist and analysts over one hundred twenty countries. Him Michael Barr, this is Bloomberg Gaming.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Michael. It's five ten on Wall Street time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John's Dash Hour.
Speaker 9: Thanks Amy. A year ago, the Yankees finished in first place.
Speaker 7: The Red Sox.
Speaker 9: Finished last, twenty one games behind. Different story. Now Yanks are in the cellar, three games behind Boston. The two arch rivals start a weekend series at the stadium Yanks, losers of their last five. They're under five hundred and they list their starting pitcher tonight as undecided. Mets at Jose Kintona on the Mount in Saint Louis, he got his first win as a Met four to two over the Cardinals, who liked the Mets a playoff team a year ago, but having a very rough twenty twenty three Dodgers playoff team every year. Last night, they got a home run from Austin Barnes, eighth in in his first form of the season. They topped Milwaukee won the nupping. The Dodgers have won eleven games in a row. Preseason football in Philadelphia, Eagles fans booed their new backup quarterback Marcus Mariota, who struggled in the game with Cleveland that ended with the unusual final score of eighteen to eighteen. Two games at MetLife this weekend Giants and Panthers Tonight, Daniel Jones might play. If he doesn't, Giants coach Brian Dabole says he definitely will next week against the Jets, who will again not play. Aaron Rodgers tomorrow against Tampa Bay Rodgers as a new teammate that earned running back Dalvin Cook who used to go against Rogers twice a year while with Minnesota being.
Speaker 12: On the other side of that for the last six years. You know, I couldn't be another side no more. So it was it like ben I got the chance to go join them and you know they'll help him win win again. You know that was that was a big thing to come come out here.
Speaker 9: Another running back, the Bengals, Joe Mixon found not guilty in a road rage case. Eating back to January, BMW Golf Damn Day outside Chicago co leaders after the opening round, Rory McElroy and the recent British Open champ Brian Harmer in built.
Speaker 7: Shot sixty five.
Speaker 9: John Stashower Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 13: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on sirisxam, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 7: This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Thank good Friday morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Amy mor As. We continue to follow the economic developments in China as state owned property developers are warning of widespread losses, the PBOC stepping up at support for the yuon. We are joined now by Bloomberg macro strategist Mark Kudmore, who's going to sort it all out for us. Mark, Thanks for taking the time. What is the risk or is there a risk of contagion?
Speaker 14: Good morning, Amy. Absolutely there is some risk of contagent, but very important to understand exactly what mess that contagion is going to come. So the economic impact of China's deceleration is really important for the rest of the world. We've got to remember it is the world's largest trading partner that is not the US, so that is really important for the growth story in many other countries. However, the financial market impact is much less. Not only are Chinese financial markets already been trading a structurally broken story for some time, but foreign money foreign participation is extremely low already. People who wanted to get out of the China story have long got out over the last couple of years, and so therefore the direct transmission from financial market pain isn't as direct. So it'll continge way and sentiment because the economic story, but that's more of a slow moving one and harder to interpret, rather than we're going to get sudden capitulation losses in other markets because of China's equity selling off.
Speaker 2: But it seems like there's some aggression here from the PBOC stepping into support the currency wild cutting interest rates that well, I know what I think, But what would you make of those latest moves?
Speaker 14: Actually? Look, I know it sounds very counterintuitive to both be kind of easing monetary policy on the right side and yet be defending the currency when you think that a lower currency is what the country needs. However, it does kind of make sense because while they want a weaker uan, it's all about managing the pace of that. What they cannot afford in a market where there are no animal spirits left, where the dissentiment from both companies spending and consumers is completely broken, is they can't afford a panic of capital oute flows like they had seven or eight years ago when they let kind of yuan deppreciate too quickly. So therefore they want to manage it. And actually, what's been really interesting is over the last few weeks the yuan has been one of the world's stronger currencies because it's during a massive dollar squeeze higher and because the PBOC has managed it against the dollar. In fact, the yuan has out before many other currencies. So if you see the yuan against the Sea FET's basket, for example, it has generally gone higher for most last week's actually gone quite sharply higher for last week's until the last couple of days where it fell back you get a bit again. So what they'll probably do is that when the dollar turns softer again, they just won't let the uan appreciate as great rate. So actually what you see if the yuan depreciates on a trade weighted basis much more when the dollar is falling, even though you don't see that in the dollar, you on exchange rate.
Speaker 2: Let's just focus then, specifically on shine and not so much contagion. But are they at risk of losing their standing as one of the strongest GDPs in the world, I mean, are they Are they slipping?
Speaker 14: No, they're not, none of us. I mean it's the world's second largest economy and it's going to say the world's secd largest economy for a long time to come. And they're so far clearly ahead of the other opposition. And we've got to remember that. You know, even though they're going to disappoint on growth this year, we're talking about growth of like maybe four to four and a half percent. It's growth that most developed markets would dream about, you know. Any In fact, while people are talking about the official level being down to just below five percent, even the unofficial levels that people think might be actually lower, you know, three and a half four percent. Again, they'll actually be closing the gap on the US on an economic basis over the coming years. The difference is that the currency evaluation has changed in that so China's share of global GDP webs the US did shrink last year, but that was much more due to the currency impact because we're in a stronger dollar environment. However, most of the world SAMs to the consensus that we've now had a strong dollar for many of years, and we've seem to be at the start of a new longer term dollar down wave, and that will probably actually help China regain share. So no, China's place the second largest economy is not in the threat at all now.
Speaker 2: Investors are clearly focused on what's going on with China and the economic situation there. I'm curious is that where we should be focusing What are you focusing on?
Speaker 14: Yeah, look, it's a good question. Look, I think the China story is massive and I'm based in Singapore and I'm based in the region, and so we can't get beyond it every day. But I do still think that the bigger story and the thing that's trading off this month, we've got to remember that there's been a couple of dynamics this month, and one is the higher yield story that's into the stronger dollar story and the China you know, negativity, and they're the things we kind of come in day after day in August. But in fact, Chinese markets aren't doing any worse than most global markets over this month.
Speaker 13: Right.
Speaker 14: We're generally seeing equities elsewhere so oft from particular in the US, and that is much more about the US yield story. And the backdrop here is that I think people are coming to the terms of the fact that hey, maybe the inflation story isn't kind of one as easily, and maybe that yes, we've we've we've contain inflation to some extent, but at a way too high level, that the labor markets toil still too strong, inflation is going to prove too sticky, and that there we are starting to kind of come around to the idea that we might really be in a new higher rates world so, and I think that's an interesting backdrop, especially with Jackson Hole next week. I am personally very much in the camp that we have not seen the peak in the yields. Like I've been long term kind of bond bear, and I remain a long term structural bond bear, even despite the yield rise we've seen over the last couple of years. What I will say is in the very short term, I kind of think we're already priced for relatively hawkers Jackson Hole. So I'm less excited in the short term dynamics of bond selling off much further from here in the short term, but I do think structurally yields are going higher.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg nine sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station, is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, Sirius XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Amy Morris.
Speaker 1: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybrey