Speaker 1: Hey, this is Annie and Samantha and welcome to stuff I never told you protection of iHeartRadio, and.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another edition a feminist Movie Friday. And I think it is actually going to be released on Friday this time because I'm actually doing work this time.
Speaker 3: Annie, aren't you proud?
Speaker 1: I am very happy?
Speaker 2: But yes, so if you're listening as it's released, it'll be a Friday. If you waited to listen to on a Friday, Happy Friday. If not, it's just a feminist movie day.
Speaker 1: You're welcome any day, any day.
Speaker 3: It's a feminist movie day, as it should be.
Speaker 2: But we're back, and this time we're back with an oldie but a goodie.
Speaker 3: Uh. And it is.
Speaker 2: Something that we were talking about previously because it was one of those Annie, you've never watched this what conversations And we were talking about Friday Green Tomatoes or also called fried green Tomatoes at the whistle Stop Cafe. So other places are they do the full title And we're gonna go ahead and add some warnings to this one. This was released in nineteen ninety one and is based in Alabama slash Georgia in the nineteen thirties, so has a lot of offensive, outdated content. Outdated as in like it's not acceptable today, but was portrayed as it would have been in the nineteen thirties.
Speaker 3: So there's that.
Speaker 2: It depicts racism, white supremacy, murder, death, cannibalism, and abuse, So there's a lot. This is definitely one of those movies that like kind of borders on being Southern Gothic. It's definitely Southern Tales, I guess, and it's reminiscent to me of someone like Carson McCullers would have written. Actually, I read a fact that the Harper Lee fra who wrote To Kill Mocking Bart loved, loved, loved this book and really felt it was a great book. So I was like, Oh, if I was the author Fanny Flag, I would have taken that quote and framed it if harperly said that I wrote an amazing book.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: So about the movie.
Speaker 2: This was based on the nineteen eighty seven book by Fanny Flagg titled Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe, and she and Carol Sibiski wrote the screenplay for this movie. The movie was directed by John Avnett, who read the book in nineteen eighty seven, took it to producers, was like, oh, this needs to be a movie, and it was nominated for a couple of Academy Awards. It did not win, but it did win a glad Award, which is interesting. Yeah, because we're gonna talk about this, people already know. I know, y'all already know. For those of you who have seen Fried Green Tomatoes who like or love this movie or book, you already know why. But there's a lot of debate and we're going to jump into it. But first let's talk about the movie. So the characters include Kathy Bates as Evelyn Couch, Jessica Handy Rip she was a Real one for Real as Ninny thread Good, Mary Louise Parker as Ruth Jamison, Mary Masterson as Itchy thread Good or Imma Jean thread Good, Ciccily Tyson as Sipsy stan Shaw as Big George my childhood love, Chris o'donald as the short lived character of a Buddy thread Good. Yes, I mentioned him because I love him. I loved him from a circle of friends. Have you ever seen this movie? Annie?
Speaker 1: Oh no, but I'm so curious. I had a brief crush on him too. This is interesting.
Speaker 2: Love love love, so a circle of friends. I know we're not talking about. It is based on a book by Irish author May Benchi who I loved the book and I loved this movie. Minnie Driver became my favorite. I think she was my woman crush m M as a kid too, because she was so fantastic in this movie. They were that might be another movie. We have to visit, Annie because I loved it so much.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: It is based in Ireland in nineteen fifties, essay, I think, But that's why I first saw Chris O'donnald was like, yes, please.
Speaker 1: That's much less embarrassing mine, which is Batman and Robin Forever.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to ignore those days.
Speaker 1: And I had a crush on it. It's very, very embarrassing, but I'll share it.
Speaker 2: Oh. I mean, that's an iconic movie because you had all the characters, all the actors and all the characters at least a Silverstone as Batgirl.
Speaker 3: The one and only time that was featured.
Speaker 1: The puns, the puns. I even knew. I loved puns so much. I think it was like touching. It was resonating with something in my brain.
Speaker 2: This was the George Clooney version, right, I just remember Robin. I'm not gonna lie I can't even remember who the Batman was because in my head it was but like, yeah, it's definitely one of those infamous like.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, okay, oh the puns.
Speaker 3: We're talking about. It was so good and bad at the same time.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so there you go. We're now just talking about Chris O'Donnell. I loved him. I loved him.
Speaker 1: This was him, So this is great.
Speaker 3: Did you did you not realize that was him?
Speaker 1: I watched it, Yeah, so a lot of I just watched it this morning, okay, and a lot of the actors are just so much younger than things I've seen them, and that's true that I was like, I know I've seen you before, yeah, but I don't know where.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So my partner watched it with me, and when when Mary Louise Parker came on, he's like, that's the woman from wis, Like, yeah, this is one of her, not first roles, but like one of the beginnings of a role.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Mary Stuart Masterson were like the teen stars of the nineties. I was like, because he was like, is she in a lot of things? Mary Stuart Masterson. I was like, yeah, she was really big in the nineties. You just didn't know because you it's so much older than I'm still talking and it makes me sad anyway, and I'm reminiscing it's fine, but yes, So there's some of the characters. We're not mentioning all of them, but those are the main ones to remember, including remembering that Chris o'donnald Yes was indeed in there, and they all have really unfortunate accents, except for Jessica Tandy as well as uh Cicely Tyson, the only two. And the whole part to this to me was like every time we were watching that and that this love of trainings are like, whyhould they love training so much?
Speaker 3: It does not seem to be like.
Speaker 1: Go near her train.
Speaker 3: Inevitably someone's gonn get rid of number. But yeah, so let's jump into the flat.
Speaker 2: We were introduced to Evelyn, who's going with her husband to a nursing home to see his aunt, who obviously does not like either one of them. But they stop in a small town called whistle Stop, which has actually been run down and abandoned at this point. Apparently it's based out of Juliette Georgia. I don't know where that is twenty minutes outside of Macon and interesting, and there she meets Ninny Threadgood, who starts just telling her all these amazing stories. It's really fun to be because you do have those moments where people just start talking and you're like, what, what's happening, what's happening and it ends up being amazing. And here we see that happening. And she talks about her life in her hometown, whistle Stop, which she's like, have you ever been there? She's like, actually I have, And a beautiful friendship begins as Nini starts her tales of Igy and Ruth. So let's talk about Igy and Ruth, because we have a flash back and forth throughout this movie.
Speaker 3: So it begins with, yes, the death of Buddy, who is the love and of everyone's life.
Speaker 2: It sounds like, to be honest, we see him coming in and obviously a big wedding is about to happen. They introduce Iggy as a as a child, and she is obvious a tomboy character with scrapes on her knees. Her younger brother teases her, making her attack him, runs out the door. Dear buddy has to be the one to calm her down, and you can tell this is her favorite person in the whole wide world as they cling to each other. He is a handsome man again, teasing and flirting with everyone.
Speaker 3: But there's only one love and.
Speaker 2: It's Ruth who we see together. And we can tell that Agy loves Ruth too, So this is the perfect threesomes. They're going as they're enjoying their day, and I've I'm thinking several things about this. As they're enjoying their day. Her hat, Ruth's hat flies off and he goes to retrieve it and he gets stuck in the train and as he's trying to jump away, Oh, he dies once again.
Speaker 1: Yep, his shoe gets Okay, okay, can I preface this. I want to say something here. I have never seen this movie. I had an idea of what it was, and it was like older women having fun being older women. I don't know why I thought that, but that's what I thought. It what it was, And I'm going into this movie. The first like fifteen minutes, this guy gets his shoe stuck in the train track and it's all building of tension, building of tension and I'm like, oh, Shirley, Shirley, He'll get away, and then it shows him kind of like get out of the shoe and jump away, and I thought, oh, I made it. No, I did No. I was like, what movie is this?
Speaker 2: Well, a Symple article comes out with being a dark comedy, so like it's consideral times.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is sort of.
Speaker 2: A horror movie, right, think of it as this was at least two years after still Magnolia's and so it kind of along those same lines, a lot of like heart wrenching moments but funny too. So this is this was the nineties formula that they had, and this is like the wholesome but not wholesome like cannibalism. I'm like, what the hell I know I will be and everybody was laughing.
Speaker 3: Apparently.
Speaker 1: I was like, well, okay, okay, my stomach course churning.
Speaker 2: I said something at one point to my partner again who was watching with me, and he's like, don't do that to me. I was like, don't do what he does, and he will be fine.
Speaker 3: Just kidding out, y'all.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be on so many lists, but yeah, so does not take this well nobody does really, but really becomes more reclusive, saying and they say that the only person who can get close to her is Big George. And eventually she grows up and she has more rebellious hanging out the raw places, drinking and gambling, and there's some loose women, all these things, even yelling at the preacher, Oh my god. And so essentially Ruth comes back to try to help her her. The mama comes and calls Ruth to help her out. She's like, I can't do anything about it, but you can. And at this point a beautiful relationship starts and blossoms.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: I like to emphasize as a kid, when I was watching this, because I was old enough to watch, it's like it was one of those PG movies because PG thirteen hadn't happened yet. I think it's nineteen ninety one, so you tell me. But like it came out and you get the rentals, and I watched it.
Speaker 3: I did not catch any of the sexual overtones. I'm just like, oh, they really love each other as in friends and sisters.
Speaker 2: Like, as I'm watching it this time around, I was like, oh, there's a lot of lingering looks here, which we'll talk about a little more. But they purposely did this, we'll talk about that as well. They just really dialed it down a lot or almost try to make it like if people are offended by it, they can ignore it. So they wanted to make sure it was successful, and it was. But here we see their their relationship blossom and there get closed. They you know, Igy shows off her kind side as she donates food from the train, which she loves, and they're on and they're okay to jump out of it. I'm like, again, okay, whatever, y'all really like this train thing. As they do all those things and get closer at one point on this adventure, because Ruth does not give up, she goes to a swarm of like a bee hive, charms the bees and gets a jar of honey, which, by the way, Stuart Masterson did that herself. She actually did that because the stunt person quit when she found out she had to do that scene fair So Mary Stuart Masterson was like, yeah, I got it, and she did it, and it's a beautiful scene in which earns her the title or the nickname the bee Charmer or the bee Trauma.
Speaker 3: As I kept saying.
Speaker 1: The southern accents.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: It's hard, but well, yeah, So all this happens and then Ruth says she's getting married.
Speaker 3: Kind of sad moment.
Speaker 2: Ruth leaves and it she just does her thing. And there's an implication here because it you refused goes through the wedding as well, but again not a lot of like lingering, heartbreak or anything, just like, oh why are you doing that?
Speaker 1: Okay? Gone.
Speaker 2: We see Ruth going into the house with her new husband, and Ruth's mom comes with him as well. Itji goes to check up on her and finds that Ruth is not in a good situation as she's being abused, but she Ruth said, don't worry about it, go away, go away, So she goes away until she gets a letter from Ruth saying that come and get her. Essentially, it was code for please come and get me. I will go where you go, essentially, which is a biblical verse. And part of that is because she found out she was pregnant. Also, her mother had died, so she was alone and did not want to raise this child with him. It was severely violent, so Itgi goes to get her and fam so big George comes and her her brother had come to rescue her, but a big violent incident happens. I was like, damn, they went all in on the scene.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought she was gonna die. I was dead.
Speaker 2: And the fact that the men never do anything it was kind of interesting other than threatening them, because I'm like, why did like somebody go and at least punch them?
Speaker 3: But okay, that's fine.
Speaker 2: So but they get away and Ruth and Igy are happy starting their own cafe, Whistlestop Cafe with the infamous fried green tomatoes. I'm really hungry right now, I do and a shout out to my favorite restaurant not a sponsor, Heirloom Barbecue, who was run by a Korean woman and her white husband and has some of the best barbecue and the best fried green tomatoes. But it's only seasonal and you have to watch out on Instagram to see what they fry up.
Speaker 3: But I want some.
Speaker 2: Anyway anyway, Okay, back to of course, we come back in between these stories to see Evelyn's life. Evelyn, who we kept originated with, has been trying to navigate her unhappy life, trying to get her husband to pay attention to her her finding her confidence and figuring out how to navigate it. As like at one point there an article that talks about how feminism is coming into play, because we do see her going from both how to be sexually happy classes like how to satisfy your man, and we see the infamous saran rap scene. I say that's where it really began, because I know there's been jokes, but I want to say that's where it originated. Standing at the door waiting for your husband and only in saran raping heels.
Speaker 3: I think that's where it originated.
Speaker 1: My gosh, I wish I could captured my response to this whole movie. I didn't know any of this was gonna happen. I was like, whoa, I've never heard of that. I had a wild morning.
Speaker 3: They were like going through all the all the roller coasters here. I should have warned you. I thought you knew about it.
Speaker 1: No, I didn't know about this, man.
Speaker 3: I should have warned you that it is dark. Okay, my bad.
Speaker 2: On that one.
Speaker 3: I filled on hit this one.
Speaker 2: And then the other scene to that was like the feminist scene where they're able to look at their own vagina, and apparently Fanny flag was in that scene, like the author made a cameo and that's not her for time in a movie. So the facts you should know, facts you didn't know.
Speaker 3: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that in ofa scene which they're talking about looking at their own vaginas.
Speaker 3: I remember that scene going like.
Speaker 2: What very because like they all were removing their underwear and I was like, oh, oh as a group, Okay, that's that's the thing.
Speaker 3: But the whole idea of like feminism coming up.
Speaker 2: But she didn't feel like she could fit in that either, so she didn't know where she fit in anymore. And then but she's still visiting uh Nini throughout this time, and she's growing more confident hearing these inspiring, brave stories about ag and Ruth that she's really like, yeah, that's right. Even at one point again screaming Towanda as she got back at a couple of rude girls who had stole in her parking spot. You know, because the girls are like just face it, lady, or younger and pretty or younger and faster. So that's how because she they had stolen her parking spot that she'd patiently wait for, and yeah, that causes road rage people, so you know, and so her response was Towanda as she starts ramming it because the story is that Igy was screamed Towanda as she did something brave, and I'm still trying to figureut where t Towanda came from. So if someone knows, because that's not Iggy's name, who the hell is Towanda.
Speaker 1: I The vibe I got was it was sort of like, because it was frank, right, I asked her her name, yeah, and she clearly could pick up on this guy is a douchebag and was like, it's Towanda, and it was just sort of a I'm not going to give you my name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, maybe that's what it is. Because I was very confused.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I mean, it could still him, it could be anything, but that was what I picked up. I just like she was just giving clearly a fake.
Speaker 2: Name and did not care, which is quoted in different movies They'll scream Twanta. I believe Tyler Perry parodied that the six scene as well.
Speaker 1: Essentially, I had a thought about that within Spider Verse when Gwyn panics she gives the name Gwanda. So I don't know. I was just kind of like, oh, I wonder if that was an influence.
Speaker 2: It could have been, but yeah, so something like that. She runs into the car and then she lives with a face of girls, I'm older and have better insurance or more insurance, and then she walks away and I'm like, there you go. But yes, we see how her confidence coming back or coming round. So we go back to Ruth and Igy, Yes, and the return of bad husband Frank, who of course is in the KKK.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Immediately he comes back to pretty much find them. He tortures Big George later on tries to kidnap the baby, but Jark got smacked in the head and died and then served up as barbecue.
Speaker 1: To the like guy trying to figure out who did it.
Speaker 2: Veryantly, right, Yeah, so the GBA guy comes through to solve the murder, but enjoying that barbecue.
Speaker 3: Surege does like that barbecue. All the people did.
Speaker 2: And after some years of the car that he had driven Frank had driven is discovered because there's too much training and flooded out, and then they officially arrest Edgy as well as Big George for the murder of Frank, and a trial occurs but the reverend, who she's been teasing the entire time, gets on the stand, lies about where she was and giving her an alibi and getting out of trouble, and she and George are cleared. Turns out he had uh used moby Dick instead of the Bible to swear on, and that he had he had made a deal with Ruth that ich you would come to church.
Speaker 3: So there's that.
Speaker 2: We discovered later that it was actually it was actually Sipsy played by Cicily Tyson, who had accidentally killed Ed trying to defend everyone and get back the baby, and it was Igy's idea to make him into barbecue, which everybody again apparely loved because everyone's like, that sure does smell good.
Speaker 1: I this made me think about a lot of stuff, Samantha. I was like, how many revenge plots involved feeding the person to other people? But also like big Jories seemed to know how to.
Speaker 3: Short She was like, we need to boil the hog.
Speaker 1: Boil the hog, which I totally get, like the Southern Gothic like, don't ask him any questions, but I don't ask, but it was.
Speaker 2: Just happens and it gets handled.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what happens.
Speaker 2: And in between all this, Evelyn continues to grow in her confidence, even stands up to ed her husband, who was like really condescending and you want to smack.
Speaker 3: Him, but kind of the nineties version of a husband of the typical husband. So it wasn't too far off. I've seen this. I've seen this.
Speaker 2: And she's still visiting Ninny, who tells her the rest of the story. Ruth and Igy have been living a good life as soon Ruth was diagnosed with cancer and she dies very tragic of course.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Oh, and I've seen people talk about about the saddest death scene.
Speaker 1: Again, I was like, wait, what, I got to go record something.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, And that's kind of how the story ends. Apparently, like the town essentially shut down. She said that they made the statement that, you know, they really felt that the whist Stop Cafe was the heart of the town, and when it shut down, the little area of town shut down as well. And here we find that as Evelyn and Nannie come to the conclusion of the story, Nannie has left the nursing home after going through a lot of like did she die? I know, everybody loses it for a minute, but she doesn't. She ends up leaving because the person she was with had passed away, so she didn't need to be there. She went to her home and found that her home was demolished because it had been condemned, but no one had told her or she was waiting for it. But Evelyn goes and explains everything and then invites her to live with her and Ed, and we see the ending scene with ruth gravestone that has a jar of honey and a note from the beach armor. Again that inside joke, and then then we see Nannie and Evelyn look at each other like, oh, she's here, She's still alive. And then there's still insinuation that maybe Nannie was it gy again. We're gonna come back to this because that's a hot topic debate and I have thoughts. So, yeah, that's the movie. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you that it was a tragic comedy.
Speaker 1: That's okay, it was. It was a fun ride.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait, a good track comedy.
Speaker 1: Good train. We didn't even talk about this. There's a scene where you think Ruth's son, Yes, has died by train and he did lose an arm. But I'm sitting here like this train is gonna go, which it eventually does, but it's implied that the train leaves was also part of why it closed.
Speaker 2: Yes, which is actually something that really does happen. I know, like when the train stops going through areas to bring supplies or like it takes a lot of jobs away. It takes a lot of supplies away. It happened actually in my hometown. I don't know if I ever told you that my grandfather had invested in an area and bottle land and all these things in Lumber and a lumber area because there was train tracks and there were supposed to be a train that went through and then last minute it didn't and so he lost that business and everything failed because of that. But there's this train track that has never been used that goes through my hometown.
Speaker 1: Wow, I mean yeah, that's it was very sad at the end when Ninny was, you know, sitting on our suitcase and staring at this thing and this whole town is completely empty.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that it's true that does happen. There are real towns you can visit like that that are just completely abandoned, that were built around certain things that aren't there. Anymore, don't run anymore. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there is a Whistletown Cafe in Kennesau, Georgia, right across from one of the most racist places that you can go to, ran by a man who is a racist, and he proudly claims to be because he has all his confaberate flags with a no certain people who can enter his store. Oh a sign that says it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If people know Kennesau, they know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Uh Andy, He's been on the news media times.
Speaker 3: But yeah, but that exists.
Speaker 2: I know in Macon, I think there's a whistle Stop cafe as well, or Valdosta. It may be Valdosta because Valdosta has mentioned several times in the in the movie. And then the original Alabama place I think has a cafe like it that was based on that. This yeah, this cafe was based on So there you go. If you want to risk going to the South like that, look, go for it. I don't know anything about the businesses, so I can't that, but it's always.
Speaker 1: In my world.
Speaker 2: We're gonna talk about the themes a little bit. The first thing is family, because we start out with Buddy and in your chosen family, I think we were talking a lot, a little bit more about like friends and lovers essentially, But yeah, we see how AGI's connected her family, her mama. She doesn't get enough shout Outg's mama really was there for her, and in the book, her mama and her family are very supportive of IG's lifestyle, which we're going to get into in a minute, which is unusual and a lot of people said that it's not believable, especially if from the location and timing of when the book was based on. But yeah, I felt like that was really sweet. The Buddy Junior, the connection between Itgy and Buddy junr who she raised after Ruth dies. You know, you can see that same connection that Ruth had with Igy as she was growing up.
Speaker 1: That changed a little bit, though, I yues mm hmm, I think so U.
Speaker 2: And then that whole small town community phil that has each other's back, obviously the Reverend coming through saving them in the end, even though no one knew the truth.
Speaker 3: Except Sipsy Big George.
Speaker 2: We didn't really talk about Smokey, who was the alcoholic who they took care of a lot, and he had a crush and was in love with Ruth. Apparently so I was trying to defend well he would have he was a good guy anyway, but like was defending her.
Speaker 3: Those four of them were the.
Speaker 2: Only ones who knew what happened, and they never even told Ruth, and everybody suspected that it was Igy because she has a temper.
Speaker 1: And she had threatened to kill him in front of people. Oh yeah right. So the framing was also interesting because the way, like when you lay it out, oh okay, we know who did it, and when you're watching it, you don't find that till out till the end, so you're kind of like, oh, who could it be? But yeah, there. I think there's a really sweet beat too, between Buddy having all of these stories that he would tell, uh, he would tell Ruth, and he would tell Iggy, and then Igy later telling those two Buddy Junior, and then that being Ruth's like last request is please just tell me the story. I know it's a lie, but just tell me the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So that was a really I mean painful but like a good through line of you know, his influences, his influence, and that's what it started with, was like, we can't tell her story without talking about how important.
Speaker 2: He was right, and it's very Southern, this whole like Southern culture of passing down tall tales essentially, and that happens throughout well we're being a good storyteller. That there's something to be in a good storyteller in the South. I grew up with that, knowing that there are certain people you knew would entertain you with whatever story. I have so many family members who can do this that they want you to repeat that story repeatedly throughout the years because it's so funny because of the way you talk about it. And then Jessica Tandy's character Nini does that. So it's like a whole through line in general about the legacy of storytelling and like opening up people's eyes and like feeling involved and or changing moods or you know, like really influencing individuals. So yeah, for sure, that's a huge part of that, and it is a huge part of like Southern culture. And I'm sure it's bigger than that when we look into it, because we know that's how legacies are are taught. That's a native like indigenous people to do this, the Native first people, they have done this in order to keep their their traditions alive, so we know that's the thing for for all.
Speaker 3: Specific cultures like that. But the way that this happened with the Tall Tales.
Speaker 2: We see that as well as an influence in this movie. And then yeah, we'll come to the love friendship because again, like I said, I was like, uh, yoh oh. So obviously we have to talk about Ruth and Igy again. In the book they are openly in a relationship. Actually they are out together.
Speaker 3: Everybody knew it.
Speaker 2: Again in fact, I g is out as a lesbian since she was young. The family and community had supported her and was accepting her, even to the point when Ruth came involved. Uh and and they were I guess initially getting together.
Speaker 3: Her father.
Speaker 2: Igi's father was like, do you understand what is the responsibility of taking care of a child as if she was she was. In the article I read it said man to man talk face sexist but like trying to like uh. In besides, is that her role their relationship role of what she would be. The way she dresses in the movie was very indicative of her being more masculine than not. But in the book it is outright said that she is a lesbian. Again, in the movie they took that all out and we don't see that because to the point that you don't even know if they're actually sharing houses and who's sharing houses with whom because at one point, I know, like Igi was living with Sipsy so and then they were talking about when Ruth got six, she moved to a different house.
Speaker 3: I was like, so what house? Wait, what where'd she go?
Speaker 1: Where's she at?
Speaker 2: And then you also have Itgy having relationships with men, the implication that she was having a relationships and men, and in the book, Ig is having relationships with women, and I think not prostitute, but like the woman in town, I don't know, the loose woman, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And this is what the like as I was reading the differences what they said totally, but they said that she wasn't exactly a prostitute though, but something something to that implication I see.
Speaker 3: I don't know in.
Speaker 2: The book, and those who read the book can probably clarify for us, because I have not read this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well, I think this is an interesting perspective because I haven't read the book either, but I never seen the movie, but we did one of the reasons this came up was we did that episode on movies or entertainment that made you question, like if you're queer, and at the top we gave examples a lot of people listed, and one of them was Fried Green Tomatoes and I read an essay about it, and when I was watching it, so I guess I was coming in prime thinking, oh, they are because the essay was very much it brought up the book and it was very like, you know, see this is why and all this, and so I was watching it like you're giving me all the this is it's kind of sad. But I was like, I don't even see those modern movies. Look at how they are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they really like they really played it up. The river scene as well was one of I'm like, okay, now I see it, Like.
Speaker 3: When they were in the water together and they come out and they're like underclothes and it's they're they're not naked, they're fully dressed.
Speaker 2: It's just what it's like. But the way they're so they're like, oh there. It is the lingering look after she does the bee charming, the questions, the teasing that Itchy does with really it's like but again, the movie makers and producers made it safe enough that there was plausible deniability, which is sad, which is why I questioned the Glad Award. I get it, the queer people would definitely love this movie, but I wish it had been the one of those like they were outright saying it like it is now I think, but back then it wasn't. They were high, and they still got a Glad Award of like that hypocritical not from Glad but from the producers and the direction.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's definitely like having your cake and eating too right situation. And it's also sad given what we've talked about before, where it's unfortunate that we can't Like there's a scene early on where I'm like, okay, Ruth is into buddy, yeah, but then she takes Itgy's hand and I'm like, okay, right, but it should be. It's just it's sad we don't get enough depictions of platonic friendships, relationships of all all types that you know, it could have been, especially because they were trying to hide it, it could have been they were just good friends. And you know, right, that's fine, that's a great story. I'm all about female friendships exactly, but it does. It's kind of sad because I was like, oh no, I finally get to see this thing. But also I'm just it feels like erasing one thing for another thing. I don't know if I expecin right.
Speaker 2: Right right, there was this level like you want this to be both of those things, Like I grew up thinking it was about female friendship really gathering for each other, like the song.
Speaker 3: Are Almost Gotta Die.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I'm pretty sure it's based on like the Fried Green Tomatoes friendship, but it's a friendship that's a friendship like that that you would do whatever you have to for your friend. But like, yeah, it's like could we not have both where this is this? But because you do want that queer love story that is so sweet and so endearing, but then you also want that friendship where you don't need that as well. And I know that's something that you deal with with your sexuality in general, specifically Annie, because like both of those things can exist in that level. But I found it funny because I did think about the courtroom scene where she's expresses because in my mind, I was like, why doesn't she just say he was abusive, but in that timeframe that wasn't seen as abusive. It was just keeping a woman in line kind of conversation. So and she says, she says I love her. That was that moment of like, but then she says she's my best friend, and then you're like, wait, okay. So it was that back and forth that tug right there too. They're like they want to put that in just in case.
Speaker 3: That people assume, and.
Speaker 2: But it can be both, right, it can be that's that, but that's that's the play. That's again that that straddling the fence that they do.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's a difference here between that of like, oh, I don't want to outright say it because I'll lose money as a studio and it being you know, we have histories of like you know, Boston marriages or ways women would get married or live with each other because the time didn't allow it. But also sometimes a lot of times I would hope the person you love is your best friend, right, right, So it's it's it's complicated, like there's a lot to unpack with that, right.
Speaker 2: And again, this is ninety one. It was starting to become more open, but still very fresh, so so many things. Well, remember eighties had a lot of scare with HIV, which is a lot of fear mongering and a lot of going after the gay community. They purposely were demonizing gay communities with this. So it's this level like Okay, I see what you're doing. But at the same time, why did you take the glad Award?
Speaker 3: Like everything right?
Speaker 2: You know, like okay, okay, because the book was explicit, so you altered it if you If you altered it, you had.
Speaker 3: A reason too, right.
Speaker 2: But again, that's one of those things I go back and forth on as again, and I would not have been allowed to see that movie had they been a gay relationship, I will say that, And that's part of the reason.
Speaker 3: I'm sure why they did this.
Speaker 1: Yeah it is, but it was to me watching it from my standpoint and being like, wow, they.
Speaker 2: Are they love each other just kids already.
Speaker 1: They have a whole scene or they're like throwing food at each other face erotic.
Speaker 2: Those two scenes I'm telling you, and the other friendship because I can't go away from the fact that Nannie and Evelyn as they grow in their friendship is beautiful. Nani's hitting her so much as she's talking about confidence because I just say hit.
Speaker 3: At one point, she's like, I think she might have killed her husband. I think she's together. The story a little too hard.
Speaker 2: Someone check on her, please, Yeah, but it was I love the friendship Jessica Tandy. She was already thought of for this movie, that she was already going to be cast, and apparently she loved this role and everything about it. Maybe the first time I seen her Kathy Bass was in Misery. So Misery was nineteen ninety and then this was soon after, So those Kathy Bass era Yeah, obviously, and I love to see it. But yeah, apparently ninety was her was Misery and she did phenomenal, So this is a complete flip for her. Going from that to this and pulling both of this off is genius.
Speaker 3: I loved it. I love Kathy Baits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she did fantastic. I love that. It felt like a very feminist awakening for her, where she's hearing these stories and she's like questioning, why can't I even look at my own vagina? Why am I going to going to these like marriage classes when he could give like twos about it, like my husband And having all these questions and hearing these stories from Nini and getting inspired and kind of recognizing her own anger and what she wants. And I feel like there's a pretty powerful metaphor of There's one part where she Kathy Bates's character Evelyn, tear down a wall, doesn't ask her husband, just tears it down. It's like I want this light, I want this, I want this, and then she decides, no, I want you need to come back in and she rebuilds it. So it feels like she's tearing something down and she's becoming more confident and more aware of what she wants. And I also love her husband. Ed is like doing the frantic oh god, she might leave. Have some flowers. That is what I do.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry I didn't.
Speaker 1: Notice right right, which I find fascinating. I think that's an interesting part of how marriage in this patriarchal system can control women, as this idea like oh, he'll leave me. But then she's like, maybe I'll leave you, and he's suddenly panicking because she does do all this stuff for him. She like hook brits him, the food, she gets him the beer, She doesn't bother him, she lets him. I don't say, let's him, but he talks down to her, and she does and say anything about it, right, So it was kind of funny and kind of frustrating, and I was still sort of hoping that they break up at the end, but I'd like, you.
Speaker 3: Just wanted to be the two of them in the house.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, But you know what, as you talk about that, there is like feminism is definitely in this in this movie because we see the growth of Ruth as well, the subservient, quiet woman who doesn't want to you know, who comes in to try to tame Aji, but the opposite ends up happening, essentially, and it kind of brings out her other side, you know her. For a birthday, they took her to the Bad Spot. I don't know what else call it, because it's not a bar, it's just a yeah, get together place where she plays poker for the first time, she drinks for the first time, she gets into the water, and they have that moment, you know, and Ruth saying, this is the best birthday I've ever had, and like growing into it, and then like finding her footing and then being able to leave her very abusive husband and being able to stay up against him and being able to do her own business, you know, running her own business and doing well with her friend and not needing a man necessarily to take care and raise the child, like all of these things like this growth for both of them, Ruth and Evelyn in parallel stories and then becoming women in their own right and doing what the hell they want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was it was interesting too, the because unfortunately you still don't see that many roles for older women. So it was interesting to hear like Evelyn and nine talk together and then sort of see this, like especially when Evelyn like rams her car into this other car six times and have that conversation about age. Are like these younger women who are you know, maybe quote don't get it. It was just I don't know that I've seen too much of that of the like learning from the older generation. And maybe those two women who got their car wrecked in a couple of couple of years, they'll be like, wait, they'll be there.
Speaker 3: Also, they'll never try to steal someone's spot.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think they got the wrong one. Row. I also love that Evelyn's last name is Couch. She was always getting sad on because she keeps having these confrontations where she's like Why are you being so mean to me? I don't understand this right?
Speaker 2: And that was it it and then she just runs away, not this time, not to Wanda.
Speaker 3: No, that's gonna bother me.
Speaker 2: So another theme on this is of course racism, As with the most movies of that time and even recil though they do try to make a correct spin of addressing issues like racism and the disparities, they still get stuck with the stereotypical narratives in portraying the issues. Here's a good quote from ranker dot com. One pronounced shortcoming of Fried Green Tomatoes is how it portrays the lives of the African Americans in whistle Stop. The movie doesn't hold back in displaying Jim Crow Arab discrimination as well as the subservient roles African Americans were forced to accept. It does a better job than other films at the time of showcasing how systemic and tolerance destroys communities and ruins lives. The movie, however, makes the mistake of presenting characters like Big George and Sipsey played by stan Shaw and Cicily Tyson as stereotyped hired help with endless dedication to their employers. These characters are like depth or personal agency. While they are welcomed with open arms in Igy and chosen family, their stories only matter in relation to the white people around them. And again, this is that white savior thing that we see constantly. I know, I want to say the help I've never seen that, but that is the large criticism is like why do you have to center black people's trauma around a white person saving them essentially? And don't get me wrong again, as this quote says about the fact that they do a good job, they don't just do. They don't hold back and displaying the Jim Crow era discrimination and the roles that they have to accept during that time, especially in the South at that point in time, and like the influx of KKK members and the violence that was happening against the black community at the point, and honestly still but but they're still like as the portrayal, they really do lean hard in to be like, oh, but you know, these white people will save them because they're protecting them, and that's that's why they're okay. And also they're they're mild and cold. I will say, like the SIPs character, there's two big stereotypes in there. The Big George. The name Big George in itself is like an indication in Sipsy's character is an indication of like, yeah, this is almost like gone with.
Speaker 3: A wind level.
Speaker 2: Of betrayal but okay of the black community. But like Sipsy says at one point, she's like, I'm not your mama, don't don't come in here like that, Like she does, like stand firm and making sure she separates herself from them, like the white people she works with or works for at that point in time. And of course she handles her own because she's the one that took out Frank. But still her narrative is so quiet, you know, like it's still just very quiet, and she just meekly walks away and maybe that's again purposeful.
Speaker 3: And also, yeah, is Cicely Tyson. There's so much more she could do with.
Speaker 2: That character that she isn't a phenomenal actor and it felt like like a throwaway even though maybe.
Speaker 3: That's the way the production was.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but like, how dare you not use Cicely Tyson more? Because she is phenomenal? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I mean once again, I did not know this was gonna happen to me this morning when I was watching this, Oh my god. What. I think it's interesting that because this really started to hold conversation in my head about we've struggled with this too.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, when you portray something of the time, how to do that carefully, delicately, accurately, properly. And I do think a lot of that has to do with who's writing it, who's in it, who's centered in it, because it's something we can't and shouldn't ignore, but it also isn't something that should be romanticized by white people. So I think that's important in this whole conversation, and it it was it felt clumsy, Like I feel like a lot of things they did do better than a lot of stuff I've seen or even recent stuff, but it still felt kind of clumsy. And I'm going to assume that's because of who was involved.
Speaker 2: The main people that I see credited are not black or part of the black community, So I would say, you know, I don't know who they talked to.
Speaker 3: Maybe they did.
Speaker 2: I think when it comes to like those specific characters you have that you've seen, Big George and even that name like throughout the years and you know exactly what kind of character you're getting into and what they've become most of the caricature of black men in those times, and they do it purposefully. Of that gentle giant doesn't talk a lot, and so there's a lot of implications to that as well as the Sipsy character of being that, you know, the motherly, nanny ish type. But you know, you know, we're talking about in that level and taking care of or being the one that uh has to get the tough love to the white character because she's not she's too spoiled. But again, this like level of like this is where the stereotypes of when we see of black women and black men kind of come from. In that level, like you're trying to target people and minimize who they are as people and taking away the depth of the story that is there. Once again, we don't even know anything about where did where did Big George come from? We just know that he and uh Itchy are close, But why who is he?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 3: Just what?
Speaker 2: And then who is Sipsy? A part of this is what like what? So it's just kind of all those things that they purposely did this thing to make them a side character, not even of human, almost just further the plot. And that is again really problematic. And even though again this movie does better job than some, especially during that time, it stills like oh oh yeah uh. And then at any point, I'm gonna say this, if you're using derogatory terms and scenes of like a KKK scene with the black community at the time, and you don't have black people present to like monitor as well as dictate what's happening, I don't think it should happen. Maybe that's too harsh of a I don't know, I just don't think it should happen like that seems it feels real bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it also like made me because this was a long time ago. But occasionally I would get complaints before you Smantha, I would get complaints like you, how about trigger warnings?
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: You know, I went into this movie and not knowing any of this was gonna happen, and I was quite shocked at the language that was used, and I was just like, yeah, that should be a warn't that there should be at the front, like hey, And I then I was like, I guess movies really don't do well at doing that or a lot of other stuff, but like I rented it digitally and I got no warning. I was just but it is. It's true, like I think that that should be something that only people from the black community. Yeah, they should be there. They should make sure like okay, this is being handled correctly, but also there should be just a warning at the front. Okay, yeah, it's gonna be there.
Speaker 2: I there's needs to you ale revamping because of course we can't ignore that history. That's too ignorant and we don't want to downplay that. But again, this is that level of like, Okay, let's have a conversation about who should be able to dictate what's being said or done here and why it's important. And if you don't have black people on that as part of that voice behind the scenes, then you need to you should not have permission to use it like that's in the story and.
Speaker 1: It sucks because that's like such a traumatizing thing. That's one of the most.
Speaker 2: Yeah to work that in, but right, but you don't want them to do that labor. But at the same time, there's so much too this it's like, Okay, how do we go about this, because yeah, we already know what happens when white people take a hold of it or non black people.
Speaker 1: Right, We've had that conversation before about the pain of doing and being a historian our researcher when that's your expertise or that's what you're doing, and so it is, it is really painful. So I think that should also be recognized too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, like there's so much to this that's like, oh, by the way, I was wrong, was PG thirteen because that had started at nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: That was later, that was in the nineties.
Speaker 1: It was after Poltergeist.
Speaker 2: Yep, oh, that's right. We had that conversation, was PG. Thirteen at the very least. But still, like some of those things, you're like, who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm only laughing as a kid. I did not know what was gonna happen to be this morning.
Speaker 3: That's what this one's I guess we're even and this one's on me. I'm sorry, Yeah, I was sorry.
Speaker 1: It wasn't as traumatic as my my mistake, so it's okay.
Speaker 2: Still, yeah, in my head, I know you hadn't seen it, but I assumed you knew of it.
Speaker 1: Like of the things I thought it was older women living in a house together, eating fried green tomatoes. Oh, when we're in love, that's what I.
Speaker 3: Call well, you know.
Speaker 2: And then the final I guess the final theme is death and endings because we would talking about that, well, when things change and what happens and what looks like in dealing with that, because yes, we have a lot of.
Speaker 3: Death throughout this movie.
Speaker 2: At the very least, at least Nanni is still alive. And even though we're talking about themes, there's been a debate and most of the things that I've seen online assume that the movie Nini, who was played by Jessica Tandy, is actually Igy. So in the Wikipedia page they have Jessica Tandy playing Nini slash Igy thread Good. In me IMDb, it does not credit her such, so I don't think so people talk about whether or not she was Itgy in the end telling the story as a third person and then being Nanni. But in the book she's actually not Igy. She is Igi's sister in law because she married Igi's brother that we met, so that's this is how she knows the story. So, but there's a whole debate about it, and people are like, no, she'sa a g They changed it in the in the movie, I was like, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I So I told you I thought that was going to be the conclusion. I don't think so either. And I started to rewatch it because, as you know, once I rent something, I watched it like a million times. And I feel like this scene in the beginning where I mean, you probably know better than me, but where Iggy's coming down the stairs and in her dress and gets in a fight, wasn't that Ninny who's like, she's going to ruin my wedding?
Speaker 2: No, so, Ninni is the sister in law to Igy, the the brother that's teasing her, she marries him.
Speaker 1: I guess I had no idea who was getting married.
Speaker 3: That's the oldest sister that we never hear about. Again, it never comes into place.
Speaker 1: Well, and I can't help you at all, but I assume, yeah, I I thought it was going that way. For a minute, I thought it was gonna be one of or Iggy. Yeah, but I don't, nah, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: So profess you and I vote though, But like all of the things that I've read, they go back because like I just read through it, I was like, okay, cool, because I at the ending, I was like, that's not itchy because like the look between Evelyn and Nini and when they discover that there's a jar of honey, oh knowing, and that's the end. And then almost like when Evelyn goes.
Speaker 3: Like, maybe we'll run into her as before we leave.
Speaker 2: I think everybody insinuated that that was an insinuation that she was running into her right then or trying to play koy, but I was like, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it also kind of felt like for me that the it was more of a she is a a freaking wild spirit, I guess, like almost almost a force instead of a person, like not that she isn't, but almost like it's that taste of feminism you get through her, so it's like something that will live forever, right all right. I kind of got the vibe it was more like, oh, she's around, which she is I believe, yeah, but also on top of that, like the look would be more you know, and she's living within us, like and is still going and.
Speaker 3: Oh you got real deep on that one.
Speaker 1: I get real deep.
Speaker 2: That was That's that's not where I went, but okay, yeah, nice, I liked it.
Speaker 3: Oh good, I love this.
Speaker 1: I do this all the time. My friends will be like, I'm pretty sure it's just.
Speaker 3: All right. She's become mythical at this point. But oh yeah, fund it, itchy and you.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, yes that we need that on a pillow.
Speaker 3: He was too close to itchy.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's, you know, the itch of feminism. There you go.
Speaker 3: Sure I don't like that. Let's not do that.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll workshop it, Okay, Yes, honestly, like, there's so many things we could talk about. I love that they included Mary Kay. That really made me laugh. It made me have something.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's too much for my blood, my parents' blood.
Speaker 1: Oh people. But also just a lot of like, yeah nineties thoughts around women and.
Speaker 2: Yeah culture, Yeah, I didn't left the dining culture the whole level for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I love her friend who I never learned her name, but I love her friend who's like, well, just whisper something in her ear and it'll be like divorce. So was fun. I mean, I didn't know what I was getting into, but I apologies, I did enjoy it. But yes, this several listeners have recommended this one, so thank you. We do take your recommendations into account, So if you have any ideas for the next movies move you have already sent them. We have a list. I promise we are collating them, but if you have any ideas, you can send them to us at Stephanie mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at Steffon Never Told You. We have a tea public store and we have a book. You can pre order it Stuff. You should read books dot com. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive producer Maya, and our contributor Joey. Thank you and thanks to you for listening. Stefan Never Told You is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcast from my heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app. Have a podcast or where you listen to your favorite shows