Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with an unusual and dangerous weather situation out west. Southern California is dealing with its first tropical storm in eighty four years. Tropical Storm Hillary came ashore last night with forty mile an hour winds and about a year's worth of rain for the region. Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass is warning of dangerous flash floods and mudslides.
Speaker 4: The worst of.
Speaker 5: The rains is potentially left to come, and our primary mission, of course is to protect the lives of Angelinos and their property.
Speaker 3: On top of the wind and the rain, a five point one magnitude earthquake struck about eighty miles northwest of Los Angeles yesterday. There were no reports of damage or injuries from that, but hundreds of flights have been canceled due to Hillary, and the nation's second largest school district in Los Angeles has closed all its campuses today.
Speaker 2: So how much more rain can California expect and when will it all? And we bring in Bloomberg meteorologist Rob Carolyn for the details.
Speaker 6: Rob Karin and Nathan Hillary a tropical storm now well northeast of the Los Angeles area, will continue to move in over the Central Valley of California become a remlant low today. Southern California has seen their heaviest rains. The rain has now in the process of tapering off. It's now a problem for the central and northern Valley of California, also western portions of Nevada, and then on up into eventually the Pacific Northwest. Many areas will see two to four inches of rain. They'll even be some snow and portions of the southern Sierra. I'm Rob, Carolyn Bloomberg, daybreak.
Speaker 3: Okay, Rob, thank you. Another disaster we're keeping our eye on this morning is those deadly wildfires in Hawaii. President Biden and First Lady Joe Biden head to Maui today. They'll meet with first responders and survivors. At least one hundred and fourteen people have died. Search teams are still combing through the rubble to recover victims.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Nathan return to politics now and the race for President. Donald Trump is confirming he will not participate in this week's Republican debate. The former president says he will skip the debates because he is ahead in the polls by a wide margin. Instead, he plans to do an interview with former FUNX News host Tucker Carlson.
Speaker 3: Turning the Markets, Karen, China is very much in focus again this week, and there's a surprise there. Chinese banks have made a smaller than expected cut to their benchmark lending rate. The move is the latest sign of Beijing's determination to steer clear of big stimulus even as deflationary risks grow. But not everyone's convinced. Christy Tan, investment strategist at Franklin Templeton, believes the government will be forced to ramp up support.
Speaker 8: There are now increasing calls that China may not actually be able to meet is five percent full your target? I think there will be more policy coordination that will be needed for that confidence to be restored, or at least reduce the pessimism in the investor's confidence.
Speaker 3: Christy Tan and Franklin Templeton notes a number of banks have downgraded their forecasts for China. JP Morgan, Barclays, and Morgan Stanley all now think the country will not hit its five percent growth target.
Speaker 2: Well back here in the US, Nathan the big event comes later this week in Wyoming, where central bankers meet for their annual gathering in Jackson Hole, and for where we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker, John and.
Speaker 5: Karen as fed Chier. Jpel prepares for the meeting the central bankers. He can boast low unemployment and economic growth it's slowing and make chief for soft landing, but it can't exactly declare victory over inflation just yet. And that's a sentiment to underscore by Bloomberg Markets Live Pulse survey. Seventy nine percent of respondency indust rates and inflation will remain higher for years to come. More than half also say when the Federal Reserve eventually starts cutting rates, the primier reason is going to be disorderly weakness in financial markets. When our ears are going to perk up Friday morning, and that's when the chair pal expected to speak at Jackson Hole, New York, John Tucker, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Okay, John, thank you and joining us for comprehensive live coverage from Jackson Hole this Friday. We'll have a special four hour edition of Bloomberg Surveillance starting at eight am Wall Street Time, plus US interviews with several FED officials at the event. Our podcast listeners can also download special coverage and prominent interviews on The Odd Lots podcast with Joe Wisenthal and Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: Well on Wall Street, Nathan, we're coming off a third straight week of losses for the S and P five hundred, and that may present a buying opportunity, according to Goldman's Sachs, the firm strategist led by David cost And say the drop inequities will be short lived if the US economy continues on its path to a soft landing. Coleman says most companies have emerged from blackout period, suggesting equity demand from buybacks could increase in the coming weeks.
Speaker 3: Well, Karen, Tesla has been hit hard over those past three weeks. The shares have fallen nearly twenty percent, and now we're learning more about Tesla's data breach from May. It's being blamed on insider wrongdoing that's affected roughly seventy five thousand people. Bloomberg Zed Baxter has the story.
Speaker 9: The data breach included employee related records appearing to be current or former employees of Tesla. Foreign media outlet and named Ha Mendelsblatt informed Tesla in May that it had obtained the confidential information. It says the two former Tesla employees misappropriated the information and violation of Tesla's IT security and data protection policies, and then shared it with the media outlet. Tesla has reportedly cooperated with law enforcement and external forensics experts and says it will continue to do so. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Daybreak, right.
Speaker 2: And thanks. And on the earnings front this week, there's one very big name on the schedule. This Wednesday, we get results from Nvidia, the ship maker has been at the center of the artificial intelligence craze this year. And it's five seven on Wall Street Time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris. Amy, Good morning, Good morning, Karen.
Speaker 10: Record setting temperatures in Dallas and all across Texas over the weekend. That scorching heat wave continues to bake huge wants of the US. Meteorologist Sarah Barnes is with the National Weather Service in Fort Worth, Dallas, and she says there's a persistent high pressure dome that's kept temperatures well above one hundred degrees for most of the summer.
Speaker 7: Seeing a lack of rainfall, ongoing and worsening drought conditions, and these are all combining to basically send our temperatures skyrocketing.
Speaker 10: Temperature has reached one hundred eight degrees in Dallas over the weekend, creating dangerous health conditions and increasing risk for wildfires. More than a thousand flights have been canceled just yesterday, more than five thousand more delayed because of a tropical Storm Hillary on the West coast. Hundreds more flights have been canceled for today, and another two hundred and fifty have been delayed. One of former President Trump's arguments regarding his handling of the classified documents is that he had the power to declassify those documents before he left office, but multiple sources are telling ABC Now that Trump's chief of staff Mark Meadows told investigators that he was never aware of any effort to do that, and now former Vice President Mike Pence is saying the same thing.
Speaker 4: There is a process that the White House goes through to declassify materials. I'm aware of that occurring on several occasions over the course of our four years bought. I don't have any knowledge of any broad based directive from the president. That doesn't mean it didn't occur, just it's not something that I ever heard about.
Speaker 10: Former Vice President Mike Pence says the declassification of those documents is something he would expect Meadows to have known about. One Republican senator believes former President Trump should just drop out of the presidential race for twenty twenty four. Bill Cassidy of Louisiana Tel CNN State of the Union. Americans will not vote for a candidate who's been convicted.
Speaker 1: We may have a candidate for president who has been convicted of a crime.
Speaker 4: I think Joe Biden needs to be replaced, but I don't think Americans will vote for someone who's been convicted.
Speaker 10: Cassidy called the charges against Trump related to the mishap billing of classified documents quote a slam dunk. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered buy more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries. I'm Maybe Morris, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Karen, all right, Amy, thank you. It is five h nine on Wall Street Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 11: Dan, Good Morning, Karen. Starting out in Major League Baseball, the Mariners, of the hottest team in the sport, winners of six in a row as they finish off a three game sweep of the Astros in Houston, winning game three seven to six. Elsewhere, is the Yankees doing something they have not done since nineteen ninety five, that is losing eight games in a row. Boston finishes off a sweep in the Bronx six to five, play homes blowing this one for New York. It was the Giants getting past the Braves in Atlanta four to three, and it was Dallas Kikeel nearly perfect.
Speaker 9: And then they are the right burring back coaching the way it is awful.
Speaker 5: There's the game gone, the no hitter gone, Brian Reynolds doubles off the wall and right and it brings the tying run to the.
Speaker 11: Play that's courtesy of MLB Network, Tikel perfect into that seventh inning before Brian Reynolds breaks up that perfect game, twins, they'll take it two to nothing. Elsewhere, Mets ball to the Cardinals seven to three. Orioles all over the A's in Oakland twelfth to one, the Nationals slipping past the Phillies four to three in the lill League Classic in Williamsport, Pennsylvania. NFL preseason action, the Saints improved to two to zero as a knockoff the Chargers twenty two to seventeen. Jamis Winston thirteen of twenty one, one hundred and sixty nine passing yards. It looks like Aaron Rodgers will be making his Jets debut on the field comes Saturday against the New York Giants in the preseason finale. The thirty nine year old has participated in every training camp practice so far that has yet to suit up in a game. Thatcher Bloomberg Sports Update on Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 12: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on Siriusxam the Bloomberg Business Appen Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 9: I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: We're headed into a new trading week with stocks on a three week losing streak, earning seasons winding down, Investor focus is very much likely to turn to Jackson Hole wyoming for the annual Central Bank meeting coming up at the end of the week, but ahead of that, we're joined this morning by Lori Calvacina, head of US Equity strategy at RBC Capital Markets. Laurie, how much of a focus is Jackson Hole for you? What are you going to be listening for from the chairman?
Speaker 7: Well, thanks for having me as always, and look, I think it has to be a focus this week. It's a pretty light data week otherwise, and as you mentioned, earnings are winding down now that we learned all that much from earnings to begin with, I think that our rate strategist had not anticipated the Jackson Hole commentary as being a big game changer. Nonetheless, it does feel like markets are worried heading into it. I think there's a concern that we might get some hawkish commentary, so I'm really going to be listening to see if we actually get that tone. I think that investors on the equity side at least really want Chairman Powell to address this idea of higher for longer, And the other concern that we've seen percolating in the equity community lately is just the idea that inflation you know, may come roaring back next year. I wouldn't say that there's any you know, sort of fantastic reasons why people are worried about it, but it is a concern. So I think people are going to be looking for anything that Chairman Powell might have to say in terms of have they won the battle on inflation yet and when they think that would want it.
Speaker 3: In our past conversations, you've talked about how stocks could be up for some choppiness heading into the rest of this year. Could the commentary we get from the central bankers play into that at all?
Speaker 7: I think it could. I mean I sort of scratching my head trying to figure out how we could have, you know, sort of a dubbish outcome. Maybe it won't be you know, sort of as hawkish as feared, and we've already sort of you know, been selling off heading into this week. I do think that, just in addition to the fact that we've had kind of this information vacuum really so to speak, on earnings in these sort of twenty twenty four fears starting to percolate, I do think that, you know, volumes have been pluggish in August, as is typically the case, and this has over the last five years really been sort of August, September, October. The markets do tend to trip up a bit, at least on the equity side. So you know, my view is really a little more worthy cutting into Friday than anything else. But you know, we have already been selling off.
Speaker 3: I think I heard you twice mentioned that we didn't learn much from earning season in the second quarter. Here, what were you expecting to learn from earnings? And how did this second quarter season set us up for the rest of the year.
Speaker 7: Now, it's you know, if my frustrations coming through. You know, it's been a long reporting season. My team, we try to read through as much as we can in the S and P. Five hundred commentary, and we just felt like we didn't learn all that much. And I'm not quite sure what we expected, but you know, we I think what we had been hoping for was maybe a hint of some of the new narratives that are going to dominate trading over the next say, maybe two to four quarters, because it does feel like all the old narratives in plation, pricing, all that stuff is starting to dwindle. But other than AI and inventory d stocking, there just hasn't been really a lot coming out that's been useful to us. Frankly, and I think, you know, I kind of think back in recent years, this is the time of year when investors always start to turn their attentions to twenty twenty four or the year ahead, and I guess we had been hoping we would get some of those breadcrumbs, and we just weren't really hearing a lot the outlook commentary on a longer term basis, Beyonce a quarter was just very very thin.
Speaker 3: On a shorter term basis, we have seen a few straight week crosses here for stocks. We've heard from strategists to Goldman Sachs saying that might present a buying opportunity. Do you see it that way at least in the short term, that we could see a little bit of movement back into stocks.
Speaker 7: So our target at year end is forty two fifty. Some of our models point to more upside than that. We have one that gets us as high as forty eight hundred being a justifiable number. I think that both, you know, kind of outcomes are valid here, but we have kept the target at forty two fifty because we've been very very concerned about what we've been starting to see on some of the sentiment indicators, which is, you know, if you look at the aai I met bullishness, it's been about one standard deviation above the mean in terms of, you know, being overly biased in favor of the bulls. So I think we've still got some work to do to get that indicator, you know, sort of farther away from worrisome territory. So I'm not sure I'm in a position where I feel like I should be pounding the table in the very short term. I feel like maybe this weakness is yet to fully play out. That being said, as I peer into next year, you know, we haven't put out a formal target yet, but we have started to look at what our models are saying about next year, and we're still seeing the cross asset models are cautious, but some of the other models are a little more constructive. So I'm certainly not in the big bad bear camp like some my.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak