Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm John Tucker and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: Karen, this may be the most anticipated earnings report of the season. Later today, we're going to find out how Nvidia fared in as second quarter. Mustock has been the poster child for excitement or artificial intelligence. It's at more than two hundred percent so far this year, and let's get more from Bloomberg Intelligence senior technology analyst Man Deep Sing.
Speaker 4: They've built a business that could generate almost fifty billion dollars in revenue by twenty twenty five. This is huge, I mean in terms of creating a new category and you know, getting that kind of lift. The bigger question to me is it was a monster beat last quarter. The expectations have gone up a lot since then, and right now we're talking about a fifty billion dollars run rate for data center by twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: What can they do more?
Speaker 4: Because when you're training at this rich valuation, the expectation is if you're in line, that's.
Speaker 3: Not enough, Man Deep Singloomberg Intelligence is nearly ninety percent of analyst tracked by Bloomberg recommend buying in Vidia.
Speaker 2: Well Well, Wall Street Awaits and Vidia Earnings. John Banks are also in focus. This time, mid sized lenders are under the microscope. The FDIC is set to propose new regulations for those banks, and we get the details from Bloomberg's Doug Krosner.
Speaker 6: The plan will be unveiled next week and would require banks with as little as one hundred billion dollars in assets to issue enough long term debt to cover capital losses if those lenders ever failed. The FDIC will also unveil a plan to make those same banks fortify their hypothetical wind down plans. It's the latest response to the collapse of three regional banks back in March. The issue of who should shoulder cost for bank failures became contentious when the FDIC had to cover all deposits of Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank, including those that were unsecured in New York. I'm Doug Prisner, Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Thanks Doug. There's also news this morning on the post to get workers back to the office Now Goldwyn SA dialing up pressure to get employees back five days a week. That story from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 1: The Wall Street Giant is embarking on a fresh effort to enforce its policy of working from the office five days a week. Though revenue producing employees have mostly returned full time, senior managers have grown frustrated by the reluctance of staff in other groups, constituting a significant chunk of its workforce. Goldman has been one of Wall Street's most ardent return to office champions in New York. Charlie Pellette, Bloomberg Day Break.
Speaker 2: All right, Charlie, thank you, what we have some news on the labor front this morning. Ups employees have a new contract. Union workers ratified a new five year labor agreement. It delivers substantial wage increases and the intense period of negotiating that threaten to strike and.
Speaker 3: Shears of Nike phil another one point three percent yesterday, So that brings the stocks losing streak to nine days, the longest since the company's initial public offering back in nineteen eighty. Nike shares have dropped seven percent in that period. The latest slump appears tied to weak earnings from Dick's Sporting Goods is also concerned about softening demand in China.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 2: Speaking of China, John It looks like a global Investors have been shedding blue chip stocks in the country, accounting for the longest stretch of outflows on record. Overseas funds have been fleeing China's mainline market, off floating the equivalent of ten point seven billion dollars in a thirteen day run of withdrawals. That's the longest since Bloomberg began shracking the data in twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: And turning to politics now, Karen Tonight, he's the first US Republican presidential debate. The GOP front runner Donald Trump will be notably absent from the event. Let's get more from Bloomberg political contruder Jeanie Sheen Zino.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump is running like an incumbent president. You know, he is somebody who never said that he lost the twenty twenty election. In his mind, he is president, and president's incumbent. Presidents running for reelection don't participate in these kinds of things. You know, he is playing it like that, and you know, I think it's interesting. We keep talking about how he's not going to be there physically, and he will not, but he will be overarching this entire debate and it's going to be really hard for these other eight people to get out from under his shadow.
Speaker 3: The Bloomberg contributor Jeanie Sheanzano says the debate could be overshadowed by Trump tomorrow, when the former president then heads to Georgia to be booked on criminal charges.
Speaker 2: Well, now to the latest, John and those devastating wildfires in Hawaii. Officials on Maui are saying there are an estimated eight hundred people that are still missing, and now the search methods in the area are shifting. Bloomberg's Ed Baxter has that story.
Speaker 8: Governor Josh Green says, now the pains taking task of going through some of the half standing buildings. Those buildings are very fragile and they have to use some additional equipment to.
Speaker 9: Peel back some of the the levels of floors.
Speaker 8: That collapsed and warrens of many more tragic fines.
Speaker 10: We do expect to see a lot more loss of life.
Speaker 11: It's going to be tragic. I want to brace everyone for.
Speaker 1: That, he says.
Speaker 8: The president has granted his monetary requests. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Daybreak, all right, Ed, thank you, and coming up on Bloomberg Daybreak, we'll have more global headlines, plus a check of sports, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks Karen, and it tuned out for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris.
Speaker 12: Amy, good morning, Good morning, John, and you had mentioned that former President Trump is to be booked as early as tomorrow in Georgia. Well, defendants are slowly showing up at the Fulton County Jail to be processed in the Georgia election fraud case all this week. Bloomberg's at Nancy Lyons has that update.
Speaker 13: There are nineteen defendants, including former President Trump, and they have until midday Friday to surrender. Attorney John Eastman was one of the first to show up for processing.
Speaker 6: I am confident and the law is faithfully applied in this proceeding all of my co defendants, and I will be fully vindicated.
Speaker 13: Former President Trump has said he'll surrender to authorities Thursday, but his former chief of staff Mark Meadows is asking a federal judge to block state authorities from arresting him if he does not surrender. Nancy Lyons Bloomberg Daybreak, and.
Speaker 12: Now we're getting reports, Former Trump attorney and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani will surrender today. ABC News is reporting Giuliani will head to Atlanta with former New York City Police Commissioner Bernard Carrick, who will help him through that process. Juliani's lawyers are reportedly working with the DA on a blond package. And we've been telling you about the GOP presidential primary set for tonight. Some candidates are crying foul after they didn't qualify for tonight's debate. Former Congressman Will Hurd tells ABC he has no intention of dropping out.
Speaker 10: I've always said my goal is not to peak on August twenty three. My goal is not to peak next week. The goal is to peak later in the winter, before the first election, before voting begins.
Speaker 12: Eight candidates are expected to be on the stage tonight in Milwaukee. Several who did not make the cut accuse the Republican National Committee of cherry picking the polls we've told you. Dick's Sporting Goods has seen a whopping twenty three percent drop in profits. The retailer, blaming what it describes as an increasingly serious theft problem, tells the Advisory Group Senior managing Director Joe Feldman says Dix is on a growing list of companies, including Target and Home Depot, sounding that alarm.
Speaker 5: A lot of the.
Speaker 6: Stolen merchandise just ends up being resold on the third party marketplace online.
Speaker 12: The National Retail Federation organized retail crime accounted for more than ninety four billion dollars in losses in twenty twenty one. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries. I'm Amy Morris, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 3: John H Right, Davy. Thank you very much, and that brings us to five to ten on dwell Street. That's time for our Bloomberg Sports Update, and for that, let's bring in Bloomberg's Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 5: Good morning, John. Let's start out in Major League Baseball, where the Mariners remain red hot.
Speaker 14: I drive right field, give me up, bad go Josh Rojas two.
Speaker 5: Room, homer, four one Mariners. That's courtesy of MLB Network. The Mariners are now winners of eighth trade in, just one game out of first place in their division after knocking off the White Sox in Chicago six to three. Elsewhere, the Athletics sneaking past the Royals five to four, Raves getting past the Mets in Atlanta three to two, Red Sox falling to the Astros on the road in Houston seven to three. The Yankees are now losers of nine straight. They fall at home to the Nationals two to one. It's their longest losing streak since nineteen eighty two, while in ten innings, the Blue Jays lose at the Oriel six to three and the Giants fall to the Phillies in Philadelphia four to three. Major League Baseball has placed Tampa Bay Ray shortstop one Franco on an administrative leave amid multiple investigations into possible relationships in the Dominican Republic with underage girls. The twenty two year old has not played the past week after Tampa placed him on the restricted list. The All Star is in the second year of an eleven year, one hundred and eighty two million dollars contract in the NFL. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers naming Baker Mayfield as your starting quarterback over twenty twenty one second round draft pick Kyle Trask. Mayfield was the first overall pick of the Browns back in twenty eighteen, before being traded to the Panthers a year ago. The twenty eight year old was released by Carolina after Week twelve, before finishing up the season with the Rams. That's your Bloomberg Sports update. I'm Dan Schwartzman.
Speaker 14: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SYRIASXAM, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: And good morning. I'm John Tucker.
Speaker 2: Will.
Speaker 3: At the heart of this year's hype around artificial intelligence sits in Vidia, the chip maker, opening it's books after the close of regular trading in New York today and with the preview. I'm happy to say we're joined by Bloomberg Technology reporter Alex Webb. Alex, thanks for being here. Appreciate it. If they don't meet their forecasts, Alex, I'm thinking that there's going to be bloody in the streets. Give us a preview.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's certainly a company that has been bid up significantly in the past few months. Although interestingly, if you look at the multiple of which it's trading it's currently at forty four times it's forward earnings. Now that is a premium to the Philadelphia stock at Shane Semkinductor Indix, which is trading at twenty four times it's forward earnings.
Speaker 11: But it has come down quite a lot.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 9: Of course, you know that Ford earnings Malta is partly because analyst ratings have been you know, they're anticipating higher revenue for the rest of the year, so any indication of a wobble on that front is likely to be punished. You know, this is the case. There were an any of the big tech companies right now. They're all been trading at very generous multiples and there's a lot of enthusiasm around them, but any hint of a wobble has broad implications potentially for the market itself, given the concentration of growth in those stocks.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what have they guided at this point and can they meet those expectations or at least you know, in terms of what the analysts are saying.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so they I mean, the reason for this huge surge is that they predicted this quarter they would do eleven billion dollars in revenue. That would be up from seven billion dollars the previous calendar quarter, and was about fifty percent higher than analysts at that time had been expecting. Now the consensus is very much in line with that fact is ever so slightly high. Eleven point zero four billion is what analysts are anticipating. The focus there will really be on the fiscal third quarter, which ends in at the end of October. Analysts are looking for twelve and a half billion in revenue in that quarter, and so that will be it's likely to be the real decider in how the market reacts.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The fascinating thing to me about this is that in Vidia seems to have been able to play both sides of the artificial intelligence story, the hype and the actual business associated with that. I wonder if you have any thoughts on that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's probably true. Look, if anything, they have, they've responded to the hype. You know, they weren't saying a year ago we are going to be delivering in this quarter eleven billion dollars of revenue.
Speaker 11: This came after Chat GPT.
Speaker 9: Right, the Chat GPT comes along, there's a huge amount of enthusiasm. Then the cloud computing giants, the likes of Google, Amazon, and Microsoft. They recognize that there is huge demand for this AI stuff, or at least expect there to be a huge demand for generative AI. So they start kitting out their data centers. And if you're going to kit out the data centers, well then you need the chips to do it. And that's why they turn to in videos. So in video is very much riding the wave of that rather than necessarily, you know, being a generator of hype and hype alone.
Speaker 3: Well, let's talk about the competition companies like Microsoft are there Are they frenemies to in VideA.
Speaker 11: No, I mean, in VideA is very much a supplier for Microsoft.
Speaker 14: There.
Speaker 9: Look, what we're starting to see is that some of these big tech companies are generating their own chips to power AI, but they're a little bit behind perhaps where in VideA is right now. And there's also a question of capacity because you know, they need a foundry to make this. A company like TSMC Taiwan Semi Conductor Manufacturing Corporation, they will they make this stuff under license from Nvidia, as they do for the other companies, for Microsoft, for Google, Apple and others. In video is the one that has a huge amount of capacity. Right now they are they have the product, it is available. That might change in the months years ahead, but in the short term in videos in a very good place.
Speaker 3: Okay, what next from me?
Speaker 4: In video?
Speaker 3: What have they done for me lately?
Speaker 9: It's really interesting seeing their CEO talking at various conferences where you know, he does show off the capabilities of their tech and the applications of their tech. And excuse me, at the moment, we're seeing pretty you know, rudimentary generative AI stuff, largely text based or sometimes image based. In future, we're going to be seeing it used in gaming. For instance, there was a fascinating video that CEO showed in Taiwan a few months ago where.
Speaker 11: You know, you're playing video game.
Speaker 9: Often in the example he gave, you go into a bar and you start interacting with the the the animated character there. Now, historically animated character will have three or four program responses. Perhaps in this version you can literally talk to them through your headset and they will react and give you completely new responses. They generation you time, but with a goal in mind to send you on to the next phase of the game. That is really the next sort of thing We're going to be seeing more sophisticated, more advanced stuff, but those games are being developed sort of right now and won't come to market for the law yet.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Bloomberg Daybreak today, your morning brief. The story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one O six one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 3: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 11: I'm John Tyler and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak