Speaker 1: Hey guys, what is up?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guiltyest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Steven and I am the host as always, and joining me today is my guy Tyler.
Speaker 1: Tyler, what some man? How are you doing this evening?
Speaker 3: I'm doing it fantastic. And I just realized today that I am seeing Metallica at Sofi Stadium this weekend. A bucket list item for me. So even if the game's not great, the concert is gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Metallica.
Speaker 2: Our guy Argin went to see them in New York a couple of weeks ago. I'm very jealous. I would love to go see Metallica. You know, Metallica was super big when my oldest brother was growing up. I think I've said this before, but my first CD was a Green Day CD. My second one was a Metallica CD my brother got me or my birthday. And you know, the the return of Metallica courtesy of Stranger Things has been really really strong, I think, and it's been fun to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been awesome. It's a bucket list thing for me. I wanted to do the one hundred thousand people in Germany sort of concert, but SOFI Studio not bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not bad at all.
Speaker 2: All right, So we have a busy show playing for you guys, of course, as we always do. We're gonna have some final takeaways from the Chargers preseason game against the Saints, and then we're gonna kind of look ahead to this upcoming weekend against the forty nine Ers that'll be happening on Friday night. So we kind of wanted to make some adjustments from our show last week, where last week was really heavy on the takeaways from the previous game. Today we're gonna do a little bit more stuff on the future, you know, upcoming matchup with the forty nine ers in terms of things we want to see change, things we want to see improve, and some other stuff like that. So I'm excited to dive in today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, going to be all and hopefully the game's good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Friday night at seven o'clock. Don't love that, but you know, it is what it is. That being said before we get started. Of course, Tyler and I are fans of the team, just like you guys listening. We're very fortunate to have this platform and we're very grateful for it. But the opinions that we express on this show and every show that we do for the Chargers Channel are not always reflective of the opinions of the Chargers organization themselves. At the end of the day, we are independent content creators and we're very happy to be here and express these opinions that we have on tonight's show. All right, Tyler, let's dive in here again. We'll do kind of one big takeaway each of us. We'll do hand out some game balls like we did last week to Darius Davis and Andrew Farmers. So I'm curious to see who the choices are this week. But you know, we've had some time to reflect, look at the data, look at the film, Tyler, what is your biggest takeaway from the Chargers in Saints preseason game?
Speaker 3: It was very different to find a true takeaway for that game because there wasn't a side of the ball that was, you know, particularly dominant or particularly bad, And there wasn't a player that had an overwhelmingly positive or overwhelmingly negative day. And even the players that you might think you know didn't have such a great day, they had a great game the previous game. So is it really a takeaway to pick apart their game after just having a really good game, and yes I'm kind of talking about East and Stick there. What stood out to me then after watching everything all the way through and I kind of quote unquote blame Jordan McFadden here on this one. What stood out was the resilience of young first and second year players on this team, whether that's between last game to this game or within the game itself. And I'll start with Jordan McFadden, who you know. I don't think he had a bad debut by any means against the Rams, but it wasn't a great game from him. After watching things back through and watching the film in the All twenty two, Jordan McFadden had a really really solid outing. I was pleasantly surprised. I can't tell from the broadcast angle, but you'll be able to watch him again and kind of focus on him and some of the interior play. He had a really really good game. So his bounce back from first game to this game was fantastic. Quentin Johnston did not have a great first debut, but then they put him back in the game and they gave him that last shot, great touchdown, and there was bounce back just within that game, and what do you see. What would the difference have been if they didn't let him do that at the end of that first game. I don't know. Maybe he wouldn't be very confident in this game. You can't quantify this, and he had thirty something yards or whatever, but you could tell there was just more confidence in the way he was playing, attacking the football. Obviously he caught every pass. The resilience that he showed was fantastic. Darius Davis muffs a punt early in this game after having a great first week, but then Ah muffs a punt this game. That's very defeating and it could get to him instead. On their final scoring drive, he has three catches, two of them on third down, and they were not easy. They were very clutch third down catches on that final drive and they scored partially because of him. Dayon Henley J. T. Woods could have had a better start to the game. I think there's some plays that they would like to have back, but they performed so well after that that we're not talking about the mistakes that they had made. We're talking about good games from these guys. You know, whether it's tackles, passes, broken up sacks, etc. Stops. Both those guys recovered from maybe not a great start to the game, but they really started to find themselves and rebound. And so to me, there was no amazing standout play or player or whatever from the game, but I really appreciated the way that each of these guys battled as very young players, and it just shows that, look, these guys are going to have to play at some point. A lot of these guys are going to have to play, but most of them are our depth guys or the second guy or the third guy or whatever. They're going to have to play. And to see that they went out there and had some mistakes, took their lumps, whatever, but fought back. I think that's really the takeaway for me is the resilience of these very very young players. They're going to have to play. You know, maybe they won't play a ton to start, but guys get hurt, they're going to have to play. And seeing these guys rebound from the last game to this game or within this game was fantastic. And there were many first and second year players who had like just have been great. Zion Johnson is awesome, but he's just he's just been really, really, really good in these last couple of games. I love seeing these guys bounce back and really speak to their character and I love their resilience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the way that you put that. And you know, Jordan mcfannan to me, was definitely a standout after watching the tape, and like you mentioned, you can kind of get a sense for the run game and you can always tell when like the pocket is not super firm upfront, but it's really difficult to gauge how a guard or a center is really playing without being able to watch that end zone view. And Jordan mcfannon I thought was outstanding. I mean he allowed zero pressures on Pro Football Focus, which sometimes can be misleading. You know, there's yes, there's sometimes where PFF pressure or not pressure can kind of go the other way. And you know, they do have their statistic which is like, even if you don't give up zero pressures, like, it doesn't mean you're always winning your reps. But I thought Jordan mcfaannen won a lot of his reps and there were several times where he got isolated against Brian Brazi, who was a you know borderline first round pick for the Saints, very talented pass rusher, you know, defensive tackle type. Malcolm Roach is a quality defensive tackle who's going to play a lot for them. He got isolated against him. There were some really high level cutoff blocks in the run game that I saw from Jordan McFadden. I was very, very pleased with the way that he played last week. You know, they're obviously the two holding penalties, just some things that I think needed to be cleaned up with his hand technique. But I thought the way that he responded this week was fantastic. And you know, I still think that his best long term position is at guard. We'll see what happens in terms of some future flexibility down the road of his.
Speaker 1: Or Jamari Saliers or something like that.
Speaker 2: But for the Chargers to have him rounding into shape heading into the season, and we talked about Zach Bailey last week, you know, this team has two really quality backup guards that they can kind of have confidence in heading into the season. And that's with two great starters like you mentioned, Zion Johnson, Jamuriy Slier, Zion Man. He's he's just kind of on a different planet in the preseason, like it is what you expect, right for a guy of his pedigree and the way that he played last season. He's been dominant in his snaps. It's only been I think twenty seven is the total number something like that through two preseason games, but super clean. Just like dominant in the run game. We're seeing him them use him more as a polar in the run game and it's just fantastic to watch. So I had a similar thought process of how to approach this show because I wanted to highlight some of the twenty twenty two draft class outside of Zion and Jamari, who were starters last year, were heavy contributors. But we've really seen Isaiah Spiller take very positive steps in this preseason.
Speaker 1: You know, he had the one big run which.
Speaker 2: Really showed off the kind of balance and patience that we saw at Texas A and M.
Speaker 1: He's really coming into his own right now. JT.
Speaker 2: Woods, who you just mentioned, has had some really good moments in the preseason, you know, outside of the penalty, I think he's been pretty solid so far. And then Dean Leonard I think has been fantastic. He's really taken a pretty sizable step forward in his development this summer in general. He had a pass breakup that was really like high level stuff today or not today, excuse me, on Sunday. And it's a play that we've seen a Sante Samuel Junior do quite a bit where he's kind of in that border line flat, you know, deep whole shot kind of area, and Dean Leonard just booked it and ran and leaped and got his hand on a football and had a really nice pass breakup. He had a couple of run stops. He's really active in that regard. I really appreciate the way that he's playing the run right now. So you mentioning the twenty twenty one class and some of these other guys, like I think the twenty twenty two class is really starting to take shape right now in a very positive way for the Chargers. I'm so glad you brought up Dean Leonard. He was so close to being the game ball guy for me.
Speaker 3: I almost feel like I could give him like an off season ball because of how he's performed throughout the entire offseason. It hasn't been like one specific game where he has like, oh five pass breakers or something like he did in training camp. That one day. But he's been so good and just seeing him play the run, play the pass, pass breakups, great on special teams. I said at the last time we talked about this game, I think Dean Leonard is the player. I've been the most wrong about the about face that he's done. Now. He hasn't played meaningful regular season snaps. It's not like he's out there and he's going against Justin Jefferson in Week two or whatever or week three. Excuse me, it's not like that's happened yet. But what he's done with almost no experience in college actually playing legitimate college football to basically like four days into camp last year where he was knocking everything down. What they've done, Derek Ansley, Brandon Stalely, all these guys, what they've done with him is incredible. His development's awesome. I can't wait to see where he goes from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: I think my biggest takeaway from this performance, though, which I'll dive into here, is the way that tu Lee twe Polow two played against mostly Trevor Penning.
Speaker 1: I don't think I saw him flip sides very much at all.
Speaker 2: Trevor Penning, a first round pick, pedigree kind of guy who didn't play a ton as a rookie but got to play, you know, down the back half of their season.
Speaker 1: And played well.
Speaker 2: And Thorn, who's one of the biggest offensive line gurus in the in on social media, is pretty high on Trevor Penning. Obviously, he's another duke and Manny Weather guy. So Trevor Penning has some legitimate like chops Tom and there was there was a really great battle between those two in their limited action. I would have loved to see some extended drives happen, just to see that matchup really come to fruition.
Speaker 1: But you know, two Ley got him on.
Speaker 2: The run stuff on the run stuff obviously, which was a fantastic rep Tooley had another pressure as well, and there was another time where Trevor got him on the ground on a.
Speaker 1: Kind of a too.
Speaker 2: He tried to turn the corner on him. But overall, like the early returns on two Lee, twee p below to have been so positive and I was pretty high on him. I felt like heading into this, heading into training camp, but he's really exceeded my expectations and I think the way that he can defend the run is really going to elevate his floor and give the charters an edge three situation that we haven't really seen so far under Brandon Stay. And I think just the effort and the motor that he always plays with is such a great standout. But I think it's more than just like he's playing hard, like he's really setting the edge at the proper times. He's being aggressive after tackles for loss at the proper times. He got Trevor Penning on a cross chop this week, So it's just like the refinement is really coming along at at a higher pace than I would have thought. And I think he can be a really disruptive factor for the Chargers this year. And I'm really excited to see what Brandon Stay can do with you know, kind of like the NASCAR packages with Morgan Fox, Truley, Joey Bosa and Klue Mac and I think you can really just pin their ears back and cause havoc and so, like I mentioned, the early returns for Tully have exceeding my expectations, and I think like the comfort level right now with him being an instant impact factor, have really grown throughout the preseason and trained camp, and I think that you know his ability is is just going to continue to get better and better. And he talked about this after the game with Eric Smith, where he's just always trying to learn. You know, he'll come off to the sideline and ask Joey Bosa Khalil Mack like, hey, like, what did you see from this? What did you see from that? What do you see from the offensive tackle? Like it just he's absorbing so much knowledge from the edge room and he gets to go up against Rashawn Slater and practice every day like and Trey Pipkins for sure. Yeah, And it's just like a wealth of knowledge that he can absorb. And I've been so happy with how he played. And you know, if you hadn't taken your takeaway the way that you did that, you know, the twenty twenty two draft class would have been my thing. But had to bring up Tuley in the way that he played after here in your takeaway there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been awesome. I jockey between him and Quinton Johnson as the best rookie performer so far. One guy gets a lot more views and hype, and that's easier to see what he can do. But seeing to a play really from like a couple of practices to the scrimmage and now again we keep singing his praises. He's way more developed. And you never really know, like you never really know where these guys are going to go, like someone like I'm just throwing this out, like Gregory Russo, these guys have a lot of talent. These guys can do maybe a lot of things, and you see, maybe they could do these things, but can you refine them into doing like a couple of things well enough where they can contribute early on? And I'm sorry, I don't know what Greg Russo stats were his rookie year, but truly they came out and said, I figure it was if there was Tom Tolesco or Brandon Staley. They said, we didn't take any projects. We took guys that are gonna are gonna play right now and they're going to contribute meaningfully. Doesn't mean they have to start, but they're going to contribute. But with Tuley, again, we just didn't know. We saw him do so many things at USC and he's twenty freaking years He's still twenty years old. We've been talking about him for months. He's still twenty. It's not even September yet he's gonna turn twenty one in September. I believe they said no projects and so, but we weren't really sure. And he's on everything. He's done more than any of us would have guessed. I think you very much so liked him watching him. I didn't wat him till after the draft. After watching him, all the potential was there, but what does it turned into in the NFL? And based on the way he battled against Trevor Penning, it can't help but feel really, really good. And there are so many moments where you can tell, like in a year when he starts to develop a bit more and learn a bit more and work with these guys and play in the NFL, the almost will turn into legit plays that he's making like he's very very close on a few plays. Yes, Trevor Penning would recover very well. He's got a year on him. He's very athletic, obviously, works with Duke many Weather. You get two in another year of just working against guys like that and again against Shawn Slater, Trey Pipkins. He's going to be something. He's honestly going to be fantastic. I'm very excited about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's, you know, the age thing.
Speaker 2: I'm sure some people are tired of hearing about it, but you know, most most pass rushers in the league, like unless you're like a legit like top ten guy, most pass rushers peak at like twenty five. And for the way that Tuley is playing right now as a twenty year old, Like, really, this guy is the limit for him. You know, again, he's in such a great situation. He doesn't have to be the edge one, Like he's not gonna be required to be a three down player right now. Like he gets to learn from two of the best edge rushers in the game right now.
Speaker 1: He's got a great position coach, and gif Smith.
Speaker 2: Likes there's no pressure on Tuley for him to like be an instant impact player. But I think that's the case. Like, I think he's truly going to be one for this team this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the ripple effect is you know, Joey buss A klil Mack. I think they played like almost ninety percent of the snaps the first two games last year. They didn't really have an official edge three that they really felt like they could rely on. And sure, like maybe there's some unproven nature, to Tuley and to Chris Rump, even heading to Chris Rum's year three, But like, how much better do you feel as Joey, as Khalil, as Brandon Staley knowing you can help these guys and keep them healthy and keep the rotation going and the longevity might be there now For Joey Bosa, who's like, he's not gone next year unless they trade him. The contract really indicates that he's going to be here, and what he's struggled with, and even you know, Brandon Thorn, I read his recent breakdown of Joey. You know, these offensive tackles consistently list him as a top five guy, but he just can't stay out there all the time because by the time the season ends, he's just very worn down. Now you can put Tully out there, now, you can put Chris Rum out there, and you don't have to play these guys ninety percent of the snaps. I'd love if they did. They're awesome, they're all pro guys, but you don't have to. And so I think Joey Khalil, Brandon Seale, these guy's got to be feeling so good seeing this twenty year old and Chris Rum for that matter, develop and take steps in training camp this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's very very well said. Wrapping up that conversation, All right, Tyler, let's get to our game ball segment here. Who do you want to highlight as the game ball of the week for you?
Speaker 3: I am going to give it to Gerrod Clark, who now leads all into your defensive lineman for the NFL, not just rookies, all into your defensive linemen in run stops and he's fourth in run stop rate at twenty five percent. He also had another two pressures this game too, And I always feel like he's close to getting a sack and always the guy that helps the other guy get the play. Sometimes when it's a sack, but he doesn't make the play, He's always helping other guys make plays. He's a guy who's exceeded my expectations even though he was our number one undrafted free agent most likely to make the team. Part of that was because of the circumstances related to the position group and the injuries. We didn't know with Austin Johnson, with Otito Agbonia, how these guys would hold up, you know, would they get any better? We didn't know, but I think JIROD Clark over the last two weeks and really this game as well, has shown that he belongs on the roster. Will that happen, we'll see. There's so many guys jocking for different spots, but at the very least he's earned the right to be there. And whereas the Chargers have kind of always had a nose tackle who could be very good against the run, but maybe not offer you much beyond on that, And we'll see what Jerad Clark. There's a lot more games to be played, or one more game do you play, but a lot of football in his career to be played. The two pressures in this game are very very strong indicators that there is something else there for Jerrod Clark beyond just being the run stopping guy, Like they do need some guys who can rush the passer too. You can't just make the team necessarily on just the one thing you do really well and maybe that's it. You got to do at least one more thing. And Jerrod Clark having these pressures is fantastic. So not who I would have expected after this game. I certainly could have gone with a couple of players, particularly on defense. But I think Girod Clark was awesome in this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned just his overall disruption. I think has really improved over the last really since we saw the scrimmage. You know, I thought he had a really good scrimmage. He was pretty solid last week. He was really good this pass Sunday. I think as well. In my opinion, there were just a couple of times where he truly was like a line of scrimmage setter, and that's something that obviously braindon Vojoko did really well for this team last year, and of like the guys who are really playing in the preseason, he's really the only one that can truly be a line of scrimmage setter. That's his role obviously, and I think he executes that well. But the pass rush has been a very pleasant surprise. So I'm glad you highlighted him. I don't know how his chances are of making the roster at this point. Austin Johnson obviously coming back off the pup list has made that a little bit more difficult. But you know, we really haven't gotten any updates on Otito, and so there's really no true like backup nose tackle behind Sebastian, Joseph Day, and Gerard is that guy, so still kind of up in the air, but the Austin Johnson thing does kind.
Speaker 1: Of change things there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely does. All right, who's your game ball of the day?
Speaker 2: My game ball again kind of a surprise based off of what kind of our expectations were for him.
Speaker 1: But I'm gonna go with J. T. Woods for this one.
Speaker 2: I think that you know, there was the bad angle on the screen, but outside of that, I thought he was really really solid. We saw him have two pass breakups or at least two, like, you know, two times where he got his hands on the football. Obviously, he saved a big play over the middle to the tight end Kroll, I think his name is where he really like timed that ball perfectly. And you know, Dan Founce was highlighting on the broadcast that so many of these dbs were just like right in the right spot at the right.
Speaker 1: Time when it came to their hand usage.
Speaker 2: That really does feel like an emphasis that Derek Ansley has brought to the team this year, and I think we're seeing that come to fruition with J. T.
Speaker 1: Woods.
Speaker 2: I think that I would love, like we've said before. I would love to see him get some like deep center field targets just to see what his range can do. But his athleticism really shows up in a lot of key moments. You know, his two tackles that I thought were legit run stops, I think you see that speed and that burst you know, off the line really flash. And you know a lot of people have these learned about him as a tackler, and you know his miss tackle.
Speaker 1: Ray was pretty high in college, but you.
Speaker 2: Know, you and I always felt like it wasn't an issue of like instincts, It wasn't an issue of recognition. It was just kind of like tackling technique. And I think we've seen him really improve in that regard. You know, he's really wrapping up and closing at a really high level right now. So just for the improvements that we've seen from him from last year to now, I think J. T. Woods is deserving candidate here. And I thought he played pretty well on Sunday, and he did against the Rams as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great call there. We've watched it, you know, from the stands on the sideline at the scrimmage. These games, he was kind of safety three by default right heading into this season, and there was really no battle there. By default, he was safety three. But at this point, now having watched almost the entire offseason and almost through the entire preseason, he's earned the right to be And I feel significantly better about him now than I did at the end of last season, where he had thirty defensive snaps or whatever it was. Yes, plenty of things to improve upon. Yes he has to play in an actual NFL regular season game and play multiple games, but I feel so much better about him. And there was that particular play, I think it was the drive ender on third down, kind of in the red zone where it wasn't like a whole lot to it. You know, he read the play, but he runs into the receiver who's trying to block him, recovers, gets past him, and then chases the ball carrier down whoever it was, to the sideline and gets him out of bounds. And maybe another player would have gotten there too, But you're seeing like the instincts and the physicality and the will and the drive, and of course after that he takes off his helmet. He's like, yeah, he's super pumped, you know. After the pass breakup I didn't see this live, but rewatching the game, you know, he breaks up that pass over the middle and then just like spikes the ball into the ground, which you know, watch out for the penalties, watch out for the penalties, but like let him have it, let him do that. During the preseason, Yeah, he's feeling confident. He's feeling really good. He's starting to, you understand the game a bit better. He's everything's kind of slowing down for him. He's feeling confident against the run, against the pass, against screens, he's in on plays, he's playing with physicality. He looks good and he's he's acting very confident and it's showing. It's just translating from practice to preseason. Things are looking really good for him. Is it perfect? No, But the steps he's taken are tremendous. So again twenty twenty two class, twenty twenty three class, a lot of guys were really excited about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: The comfort level for him is is definitely increasing. You know, I think the physicality he's played with in the preseason has been a surprise, not just like from a tackling standpoint, but you mentioned like that going up against that receiver who's trying to block him. You know, he took out some He took on a pulling guard one time, I think as well. So the physicality has been a really nice, pleasant surprise to watch. All right, let's get to this forty nine Ers preview a little bit for me. I'm gonna say, like, the one thing I want to see change differently is the way that Kellen Moore gets the offense into a rhythm early on in the game. I felt like watching that game back, there was just kind of a and understandably there was a lot going on outside of the game that day, but just like the way that the offense came out, I wasn't in love with the way that the game was called to start out. And again this is preseason. I'm definitely not knocking Kellen Moore by any means, sorry as I hit my computer there, but I think, just like the way that the offense came out, I would really want to see that improved. And I think against the Rams there was just such an intentionality with the way that they ran the football, with the way that they got east and stick in a rhythm, and we really didn't see that against the Saints. It felt like they were trying to do too much at certain times. It felt like they were trying to kind of experiment with other calls that they didn't run last week. And not to say that you don't want to like practice these new things, but I just would like to see Killen Moore come out, be more intentional with the run game, be more intentional, give Easton Stick some easy looks, get him in a rhythm to you know, allow them to really kind of workshop things throughout the rest of the game. It just it just felt like there was not a great plan hending into this game, and I would like to see that rectified heading into the forty nine ers game this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you and I are almost on the same wavelength there because I felt the same way. I'm just specifically talking about the way that they use their tight ends, and partially is just because you need to get Easton Stick or Max Dugan if he plays comfortable and working early. And it always it always feels like what do you do with every rookie, right, every rookie quarterback, every young quarterback, You get the tight ends involved.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Tight ends are the quarterback's best friend unless you're keening out. And then of course you're their best friend. But for the most part, you know you want those tight ends involved. And it really over the last two games, we haven't seen them, particularly the Trey mcckitty and Donald Parham get involved in not necessarily intentionally. Now, there was a play that could have been a touchdown, so I guess there was some involvement and that opportunity was missed. But still I feel like you could go back to these guys I do. I don't know if the Chargers need to answer this question. It's more just for me and for us. I am very curious what kind of the plan is for these guys. What can they do because Gerald Everett is at minimum probably gone next year, and maybe he misses a couple of games this season. Whatever, you're gonna have to rely on these guys at some point, and we just really haven't seen them do much with the tight ends so far. And after watching Easton stick like first game looked fantastic, second game, things are a bit of a mess and we'll see how long he plays this game. But to get him maybe a bit more calm down but in a rhythm, how do you involve these tight ends in the passing game and then another extension of that, can these tight ends in the run game or blocking in the passing game? I guess, can they perform a bit better than they have particularly in the run game. Now, this isn't necessarily all on the tight ends. Obviously, you have two tackles, like your interior is better because you have your actual two of your starters there, and your tackles are not your starters. There's no Zion Johnson prospect playing left tackle right tackle right now. But they should not be more efficient running up the middle. And yet throughout the preseason so far, granted hasn't been a ton. When Josh mckelly and Isaiah Spiller run up the middle, they have thirteen carries for seventy eight yards, so six yards per carry. Rushing outside, it's just eleven carries for thirty nine yards. You should not be twice as effective running in the middle then you are outside. Now again, I get it, you have Zion Johnson tomorrow Sallier will collapse a good backup better, and I get that, but you have to find some efficiency there. And it's not all the tight ends, but I do need to see the tight ends do a bit more to help that outside those outside runs work because they felt very downhill and kind of up the middle of the first game. But they tried to go more outside this game and it was not pretty. So if you're going to try that, hopefully the Titans can contribute more. Or or because what we've heard from Joshua Kelly and Kellen Moore's press conferences and the coaches, or do you just stick with what you're good at and like they've been saying, we're going to do things that we're good at and not the things we're not so good at. And granted that changes with Shawn and Trey, but in the preseason do they then just go back to a different rushing game. So I'm kind of on the same wavelength with you, like, how do they start this game? How do they get east and stick? And this offense kind of just going and flowing throughout the game?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I think, you know, calling plays in the preseason is is such a different bag than calling plays for Justin Herbert, Likecker that's very simple, right, but you know with Justin Herbert you're able to call a lot of different things and he doesn't need to like come out and get into a rhythm and give him some gimmeis and and you know, establish his confidence. You know, Keenan Allen doesn't need that, Mike Williams doesn't need that. But like, this offense is a very young offense that we're seeing in the preseason, and you know, I don't think we'll see Zion and Jamari play this this game. You know, the third preseason game last year was even less you know, starting caliber players in the previous two. So that's kind of how Brandon Staty is operated. So this is gonna be the full backup offensive line. You know, we'll see about Quenton Johnson. I still think he probably plays. But it's not like Easton sick Is is going to come in with a bunch of starters and just have like all this confidence. Like I think just the rhythm aspect and the confidence aspect just needs to be addressed heading into this this matchup, Like I give him some easy throws, give the guys some yards after catch opportunities, because the skill sets are all there. You know, John high Towers good after the catch, when the Johnson's obviously good after the catch, Donald Param's good after the catch. You know, the running backs are good after contact at this point which you know, Isaiah Spiller's improvement from week one to week two of the preseason I think should be noted well as well. But I think just like be more intentional to get the offense into a rhythm, and then as the confidence improves, then you can start trying these other kind of concepts and calls that that you are hoping to work on for kind of like the first team in the future. So I just three three and outs to start the game. Was pretty disappointing to watch on film because it's like you're trying to get these very valuable reps in these games, and I just didn't love the intentionality that they came out with last week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm also curious, we'll see how much he plays. But I'm curious what they'll do with Quinton Johnson because it felt like rewatching this like the first game, he was very clearly the focal point, and not just in targets, but like, okay, here's a screen, here's a shallow crosser, like we're gonna let you do what you do, see what you got, and of course he worked vertically this game. It felt like, yes, he did get the targets, but they kind of just used it more as the true X receiver type, and they tried to also find ways to just and I understand why free like John high Tower a couple of times, and it felt like maybe it was a bit more forced to those guys. So I'm very curious if they lean in to Quentin Johnson a bit more and really get him ready for week one, Like, Okay, we tried some things out. Let's get easton stick back on track or Max dug and if he starts or whatever happens and gets you involved early in a way that we did in week one. That granted, the results weren't so good for Quentin Johnston necessarily, but you could tell there was a different way they were getting involved that game versus this past one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Tyler, What kind of changes are you looking for from a defensive perspective against the forty nine ers?
Speaker 3: Ooh, good question. What changes am I looking forward to? Is Derek Ansley still able to call plays? Is he still out there as the guy who's I don't know what the situation there is.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's been very involved. I can see him on the sidelines doing stuff. I don't know if he's calling him plays, though, I would.
Speaker 3: Love to see a shake up in the defensive line rotation and just to see what some of these guys know. They've kind of done this, but I want to see what. I feel like we know what we have from some of these edg rushers and from some of the I think Chris Centen is making it. I think they've have made that clear at this point based on the snaps that he's had throughout training camp, that he's making it. So i'd love to see some of these edge rushers, some of these dtackles get a bit more involved that way. I don't know how much I'd have to check. I'd have to bug like Argent for this for example, like how many stunts they're running and whatnot. Doesn't feel like as much as maybe they'd love to in the regular season, but of course that's it's the preseason. So maybe the way that they utilize these guys and just changing up the rotation just a little bit, and I think they will by default because it's Game three.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think Chris Hinton is really the only guy who didn't play as much in the second half. I think he still played a little bit, but second half was pretty pretty clearly like GIROD Clark, cjcoy.
Speaker 1: Let's get them some snaps.
Speaker 2: Let's rotate in David Moa and Chris Hinton when when necessary. But you know, I would like to see Terrence Lane get involved a little bit more. We haven't heard from him in a little bit. He's kind of like that practice squad pass rushing defensive tackle. I think we haven't really seen much from him, So I think that's an interesting one. The Chargers did sign Tae Crowder today, a linebacker previously of the Giants, and somebody else the Steelers.
Speaker 1: There we go.
Speaker 2: Had to think of that real quick. So the linebacker rotation I think is going to be curious this week. Amen, and Nick Neeman, we're both back of practice today, I believe, so they should be healthy. So I'm curious to see how that one goes as well, and just like how the the lolling backer rotation can kind of work out this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Amen, They said Nick was just held out because he was held out, but Amon was the guy that was held up because of a bit of a precaution there with injury.
Speaker 2: Well, I think Nick was like planned to be like I think he was injured like he didn't practice against the Saints, and so that was kind of that whole thing. Aimon must have had something pop up, like between the second practice and the actual game, and so they just rolled with Dyon and Blake Lynch and.
Speaker 1: Mckel michael.
Speaker 2: I can't remember how you say it, but yeah, Jones the kid from Syracuse, and then Lynch obviously got injured. So now they have to take Crowder. So we'll see kind of what happens in the linebacker spot. I thought Daane played really well on saturd on Sunday against the Saints too, for what it's worth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was. He was almost my game ball day on It was fantastic. I forget exactly where he ended up. I think it was like six tackles and five of them were stops. Great game from him. Let's see it again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Tyler, anything else that you want to see change this week change.
Speaker 3: Not necessarily, It's more just questions that would need answering, which is just some of the guys that are fighting for that last spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think if you specifically on offense, if you want to highlight this, like I think you're talking about one spot for Keeland Oss, John hight Tower, Stone Smart, and Elijah Dotson, and I think there's different arguments for each of them to make that spot.
Speaker 1: What do you make of that group heading into the last preseason game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the four I was thinking of. It's it's going to just take one of them to force the hand of the team. I think they've done whatever they've done in practice. I think high Tower and Doss are probably in terms of production in practice, probably your two leads there. But Doss has made it quite a battle, So as far as this team goes, I still think that High Tower would make it over Dos. So I'm really just looking for, really specifically Elijah Dotson and whether he can force their hand, because they very clearly indicated there's a spot open for you if you force it. We do not have Larry Roundtree in front of you anymore. Tyler Husman has been hurt, so there's no competitionally behind you. That spot is yours, like there's a vacant spot there. Now, it might go to a tight end, it might go to a receiver, but it is yours, and he's done a lot so far to earn that spot, so I still think it goes to a receiver, especially with Jaillen Guiten's injury, and I think that kind of breaks the tie if there's any ties right now that I think it go to a receiver. But I think Dowson can really force his team's hand by having you know, I think Austin Eckler kind of had it wrapped up the first couple of games for him, but it was really that final game that he played many many years ago that made the team go Okay, we have to keep him. And I think Elijahdawson's going to need that game, whether it's receiving, rushing, catching the football, returning some kickoff returns, whatever, He's going to have to have that kind of game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like I said on our show, I really liked the way that he ran the football on Sunday night. I thought that he was aggressive and physical. Obviously he didn't get to get kind of any really big explosive runs, but you know, those two catches that he dropped, unfortunately, would have been some some nice games for that offense. But you know, it's a learning process for sure.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Like I think if you had asked me this question like two weeks ago, I would have said it's not even a question as John high Tower. You know, he was so explosive and productive over the first few weeks of training camp. Then he had his injury and you know, we didn't hear a ton of him against the Saints in the practice, and then you know, I thought he was open a few times, you know, watching the film back, but it wasn't like he was, you know, super consistent against the Saints. You know, had the two fallse star penalties. There were a couple of times where I thought that he ran the rout, ran the wrong route. So maybe that was just his his first game back, jitter's kind of thing. But kilan Asso has just been a really steady presence for this team and specifically for East and Stick, Like I think he's kind of stick security blanket in a way, in a similar fashion of how Keenan is for Justin. But Keilan is just always in the right spot, I feel like, and he's having some really good moments.
Speaker 1: He's working as a gunner on.
Speaker 2: The Punk team as well, So it's just kind of a matter of like pick your flavor right, Like, I think you can make an argument for Stone Smart being like this really intriguing tight end prospect who's only played the position really for two years, you know, being a former college quarterback. But can you really justify keeping four tight ends? You know, Elijah dottson the same kind of thing, like intriguing prospect, But do you really want four running backs again, you know?
Speaker 1: Or do you want six receivers? Which receiver do you want?
Speaker 2: Maybe the guy who's more explosive versus the guy who's maybe been more consistent.
Speaker 1: So I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think somebody one of these four needs to have like a breakout performance and that's how they're going to earn a spot, because right now I think it's just way too muddy of a picture between this group.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I even think there's a point where they could just find another defender to add to this team and not keep a sixth receiver or a fourth height end or a fourth running back. Maybe that's Mullen on special teams. Maybe they need to find a spot from Mark Web because he has been performing well, he's just been hurt. Maybe it's another linebacker who knows like I think, or Drug Clark, let's keep him, Let's keep seventy tackles because we can't or Cjakoye. You know, like these, I do think the defenders have maybe earned it a bit more. I think they've been more consistent, have been awesome in camp, so I think they could also just see all four guys and go, yeah, I'd rather give Jay Rodgers c j Okoye for another few years than you know, force myself to have to hold on to Elijah Dowson.
Speaker 1: Man seven defensive tackles, though I don't I don't know about that one.
Speaker 3: Let Jay Rodgers have it. He's, you know, let him have it, let him have it.
Speaker 2: He's he's officially in Ryan Ficken territory where he can just have whatever he wants.
Speaker 3: Then absolutely, and you know, maybe he'll play one of the wings that kick off return too, like Brandon did that one.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: You know you mentioned Tailan Mull and a light and Mark Web I think that room needs to be sorted out a little bit as well. I think we know there's the five corners that we feel good about, obviously J C. Michael Davis, Assanti Simon Junior, Jesseer Taylor, and Dean Leonard.
Speaker 1: We know that there's at.
Speaker 2: Least four safeties that are gonna make it you know, depending on how Mark Webb's injury is, he's.
Speaker 1: Probably that fifth guy. But that that's kind of still up in the air.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You mentioned Taiwan mull Cam Brown's had some good moments, the undrafted free agent from Ohio State. So that's that's a group that needs to be sorted out as well heading into the last preseason game. And you know, obviously special teams is going to be really crucial there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, whatever happens, it'll happen. I hope everyone does well, and we will react to it next week.
Speaker 1: Yes, that is right, That is right.
Speaker 2: So next week at this time, we'll be officially reacting to the Chargers and roster cuts. As a reminder, it is an initial fifty three. You know, there's always some movement that happens after cutdown day. Hoping anybody who does get cut ends up, you know, on their feet and lands in a good situation. If it's with the Chargers practice squad, obviously great. If it's elsewhere, we wishid nothing but the best in those other spots as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Soon we're almost there.
Speaker 1: Soon, almost there, almost to the regular season. You guys.
Speaker 2: We have college football back on Saturday. You know, and we have one final preseason game and then it's almost too Week one and can't wait.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be there too, but we'll talk about that. I can't wait, Like when Sharli comes back on, We're talking about Staley versus McDaniel. That's gonna be awesome. I'm excited we're so close to the regular season. Yeah, this week one matchup is fantastic. I think the schedule makers did a great job giving the Chargers a really nice home opener, So I'm.
Speaker 1: Excited to get to that point.
Speaker 2: All right, that's gonna do it for us today, guys, as always, make sure and subscribe to this channel of course, don't want to miss any of the great content that the Charges are pumping out, including the Hot Ones episode from today.
Speaker 1: Please give us a.
Speaker 2: Subscription over on our channel, the Guilty of Charge podcast channel as well, where we'll have some other great content, including our roster prediction on Saturday after the preseason game against the forty nine Ers. So appreciate Tyler, I appreciate Greg Came for producing, and as always, we're super grateful for this platform that the Chargers have given us, and I hope you guys enjoyed.
Speaker 1: The show that's going to do it for us. As always, both up