Speaker 1: But all right, job.
Speaker 2: All across the USC Compton, Watts Bay to LA. Come on to California day from Rowley the Valley. We represent that Keller County. So if you're keeping it real on your side of your town, you tune into Gainst the Chronicles Chronic Goals.
Speaker 1: We gonna tell you how are we goals?
Speaker 3: If I lie my nose will girl like Pinocchio. We're gonna tell you the truth and nothing but the truth. Gangs the Chronic Goals. This is not your average shows.
Speaker 2: You're now tuned into the rail mc ain't, Big Change and big steels the streets.
Speaker 3: Hello, Welcome to the Gangst the Chronicles podcast, the production of iHeart Radio and Black Effect Podcast Network. Make sure you download the iHeart app and subscribe to Against the Chronicles. For my Apple users, hit the purple Michael on your front screen. Subscribed to Against the Chronicles, leave a start rating the comment. We like to welcome you to another episode of the Gangster Chronicles podcast. Unfortunately, my guy MC eight is out this week. He's sick right now and I told him to keep his ass at home. But he'll be back with us next week. But I do have a very special guest with us tonight. One of the most authentic journalists around. When you know, in regards to hip hop, I would say, and he's a white guy, I am, you know, very obviously. You know he's you know, he's a published author. He actually published a very good book called The History of Gangster Rap From school. He d to Kendrick Lamar The Rise of a Great American art Form, published Goochie Man self help book, God the Greatness. But where I recognize him from? When? Where I I guess we formed our relationship. That was when he was writing for The Source magazine. He was the main editor. Also written for The New York Times, La Times, Double Xayal, the Chicago Tribune. This guy is like a real, real live hip hop journalist, he said, the Source when it comes to the art form of hip hop. My man, Sore and Baker. That was a long introduction, man, Thank you still appreciate it. Long ass introduction, bro, long ass introduction.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Thank you So.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 3: You and A have kind of been talking over the last few weeks about getting this list together. You know, commemorating fifty years of hip hop. Fifty years is a long time. I remember when this shit wasn't even around, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, by the time I found out about it, Uh, it was around, but it wasn't that it wasn't nearly what it is today.
Speaker 1: So it felt like it wasn't around that much.
Speaker 3: Oh for sure. Man, I've definitely had the pleasure of seeing this thing go from an underground phenomena to just like now, it's like a part of the culture. It is a part of It is culture, you know, it's culture itself.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, it stands on its own.
Speaker 3: You know. And I'm definitely I would say, man, I definitely would say I'm one of those guys that hip hop is my culture. I lived a lifestyle. Yeah, you know, it's it's not you as well. You know. You know, we're living a lifestyle. So we're putting it together list the greatest fifty rap albums gainst the rap albums of all time. And when I tell you that, it's kind of hard to be objective doing something like this because you have some albums that just kind of hit you in the art right and you're like, damn, man, I really can't put that on it, though, because it's not better than this.
Speaker 4: That's the challenge with making lists, man, which is why I'm glad we got the three of us talking about it because you know, for me, one of the hardest things that I ever did was reviewing albums because when I would review them, especially in the LA Times and some of the magazines I wrote for, you got to like really look at it as a standalone thing. You can't look at it compared to other albums or what's going on. You just gotta look at it for what it is as its own entity and judging that in real time and then not being able to really sit with it.
Speaker 1: It's also hard to do.
Speaker 4: But that's something I did like hundreds of times, and I missed doing album reviews. But on the other hand, you know, it is what it is. It's a different error now, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. People are much more sensitive.
Speaker 1: That's an understatement.
Speaker 3: You know, they're very sensitive nowadays. You know, before we get into it is have you ever had someone mad.
Speaker 1: That you all the time? I used to have that on a regular basis.
Speaker 3: Especially with the Source because those stars were a big deal.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing with the Source, this didn't really happen often. It only happened literally less than a handful of times with a newspaper, but in a magazine. Man, there were several times where I would mainly I always review the album more favorably, and then the editor or however they did it would lower with the source, lower the MIC's or you know, lower stars and different publications or whatever it was, and then the publicist or the artists would be looking at me sideways. Sometimes I just have to tell them like, yeah, you know, they kept the words, but they changed rating, or sometimes they would change some of the words, and it's like that was bad for me, because as somebody that cares so much about what I do as a writer, I didn't want to give an album, say four mics, and then it turns up as a three and a half where they're added a paragraph or two dissonant or I gave it a three and a half and now it's a three and they cut out like half the good stuff I said, because I think one thing people really get confused is three out of five is above average. It's a good rating, three out of five, but because of a lot of different factors, people looked at it three like that was whack or something, and it's not. It's above average and its quality, which is why for me I always prefer the way I did it in the La Times, which was out of four.
Speaker 3: So I was like.
Speaker 4: Poor was one star, fair was two stars, three was good, and four was excellent. That to me is better because it's much more like there's less will room and we could only do half a star. So if it was between fair and good, you could give it a two and a half. But even that, like that's average.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people get mad, people get upset and hip hop for being average because hip hop is one of the genres to where it's so competitive. Yeah, if you're second place, you still pissed off. Like I'm pretty sure, especially with your background, Like I said, you're very respected. You know what I'm saying. You really are a part of the culture. So you know, a guy just sitting there here imitating, I could see someone being mad being in the bottom fifty. But like when you spoke earlier, just to make this list at all, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, you gotta remember, there's hundreds of gangster rap albums that have been released, if not thousands, I.
Speaker 3: Would say now man, probably close to thousands.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, and I have almost all of them. So the fact that getting on the top fifty list and some artists. I'm sure for you, me and eight are gonna have more than one. That just shows you we're dealing with the cream of the cream of the cream of the crew exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's hard to do, you know.
Speaker 4: I know we have some similarities, I'm sure, but I know there's gonna be some differences and that's what's gonna make it exciting to discuss.
Speaker 3: Well, that's part of the debate, you know, and it makes for good barbershop talk all across the country, really all across the world, probably, you know, guys, you know, people take rap very serious. I've seen people get in the fights like not you know, big bit, you know, smack down, drag out fist fights. But I've seen the people get real intense arguments man over hip hop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I've I've been in some of those too, and it's it's just because we all love it so much and it means a lot.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I fell in love with it when I was ten and I'm still in love with it.
Speaker 3: It definitely insights man passionate inside of people. So I guess since you'd have guessed this week and by the way song will be with us, I would say probably for the next six weeks. You know, we were talking about the fifty greatest gangster rap albums of all time. It's a task, hey man, It's very tedious, you know, because you know, for me to get to this final, you know number right here, I had to go through a lot of changes. Man. I would go take I got one who took a shower? When I was thinking my head, I said, no, man, I liked that album, but I can't keep this off of there. And I went and change it again. Man, So this is being changed like for me, man, and good because I had a head start of you guys, right, I had to hear start off you guys. So I think I did this man, probably over maybe fifteen twenty times easy.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, Okay, I didn't take that long, but it definitely some reorganizing. And then, you know, one of the things that I found that was the most difficult is like if an artist is quote unquote this gangster, but they're also players or pens or street or hustler or whatever, then I was like, well, this album isn't super gangster. So even though it's one of my favorite albums or a phenomenal album, I had to take it off this list because it's more player, or it's more drug dealing, or it's more whatever. If it's not you know, super gangster out then I was like, well, let me uh not include it.
Speaker 3: I feel you man. One of the things I kind of struggled with it's kind of like the same thing because what I had to do is really look at what gangster rap fields. In this essence, right, it's talking about criminal behavior, street shit. So my thing is this, I said, Okay, to be fair and objective. If you talk about selling dope, if you're talking about penpic and women, that's gangster shit.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: You know, it's you know, it's a criminal element, right, even though the culture didn't give that title to the genre. You know, in its essence truly yields is reality wrap street reporting. You know.
Speaker 1: You talk about that in my book, The History.
Speaker 3: The History of Gangster Rap yep. So that's what it is. Just a bunch of brothers talking about what they surveyed in their life and they you know, in their neighborhoods. I know that's you know, been a big debat and hip hop for the lungs. But this dude ain't really no gangster man. You know, he a nerd, he this and that. No, they don't have to be a gangster man. These guys are just as creative. You got to give him the same creative license that you give creative you know, Quentin Tarratino, Steven Spielberg and you know other great writer, visualizer, just creative people.
Speaker 4: I mean, to that point, that's what I wanted to do and illustrate with the History of Gangster Rap book that I have, which is really show like these dudes are geniuses as far as storytelling, as far as lyricism, as far as creating these atmosphere, these musical moments, this uh, brilliant material that we all know and love and that you know, if you look at the Titans of Gangster Rap, really the four pillars of it with Ice Tea, Ice Cube, Doctor Dre and Snoop Dogg, they're also for the biggest people in all of entertainment. So when you look at it from that perspective, not only is all four of the music transcended rap, but as people, as businessmen and as entertainers, they've also transcended rap and it all comes from gangster rap, and they all four are still doing it at a high level in their respective fields. And now I think that just shows the power gangster rap.
Speaker 3: You know, those four people you name, man, they've generated over a billion dollars in business easily, you know, and probably more like two.
Speaker 1: Big I was going to say closer to two.
Speaker 3: To know, definitely closer to two billion.
Speaker 4: So it's actually closer to three if you include all the movies, because right himself is more than a billion at the box office.
Speaker 1: You're right, man, And you know, or I think is more than a debt.
Speaker 3: Cube is probably the greatest gangster of all time, you know, top five easily.
Speaker 1: Cube is a bad man. That's an understatement.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a bad man. He's a bad man. It'll be on my list several times. Oh man, it's top fifty. Yeah, that's the thing we're letting you guys know. Now, there is definitely going to be multiple entries of certain artists, because, like they said, this is competition something, you know, and these guys they did it consistently. You know, some of these guys. I think ice Cube it wasn't a real, really long run because he really took off in the world of acting, but he wasn't a run man where pretty much. He controlled the game for a good seven eight years, man, and it was just like undeniably, Yeah, he was a bad man.
Speaker 4: The only people that would deny were some of the people in the media. But in reality, you know, that's starting with, of course his work with NWA, but then as a solo artist, I mean, Cube was dominant, prominent, selling out shows, selling lots of records, but more importantly driving what the music was going to be. It was his voice, his words, his style, his storytelling. All of that really changed the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah did, man. But with that being said, you know, you will probably wind up being one of those guys that gets his own episode as he should, you know. So let's get into your forty one through fifty man. I'm curious to see what you got.
Speaker 4: Cracking, all right, So we're doing one at a time.
Speaker 1: We're gonna talk about them or you.
Speaker 3: Just want to go talk about them too. See this list.
Speaker 1: Forty one through fifty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're doing something different. We're going to ask you. Let you guys see the whole process of us putting this list together. We're not gonna be like these other lanes and just throw a bunch of bullshit out there and put some bad shit on there on purpose, just to spark debait and get some clicks and lights. You know, we're doing this because we really care about this shit, so we're gonna buy you guys in the process.
Speaker 4: So what I'll do then is all go from forty one to fifty alrighty yeah, Project Pat Getty Green.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it a little bit.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: Project Pat's debut album, and you know, I got the book with Juicy J September fifth, Chronicles of the Juice Man. Of course, Juicy J DJ Paul produced the album together. And Project Pat I think is one literally one of the best rappers of all time.
Speaker 1: He's a phenomenal artist, very underrated.
Speaker 4: And the thing about Project Pat that he does and he starts on it with Geddy Green.
Speaker 1: He's got another album that's hired in this on my list.
Speaker 4: But Pat, I think it's such a brilliant artist because one, he's lived through all this stuff, so he's legitimate. Yeah, But beyond that, what makes Pat so great to me is that he really dissects like ice Tea was the first one I remember in Ice ice Cube, even schooy D did it and caris one, but they showed you the pitt and the downfall of the game, and Project pad on Geddy Green starts off with that you got Backstabbers, you got? I mean that just shows you right there. He's got a crucial conflict on there. But you know out there's a great song North Memphis Choices Choppers of course, ballers. But Pat has the humor, he's got the street tails, and he's got the super gangsterism, but then also showing you the pitfalls of the game and the way he does it his phraseology is terminology is just phenomenal.
Speaker 1: And I think Geddy Green is one of.
Speaker 4: Those albums that because there's so many great albums, I think now you know, it came out in ninety nine, and that was also the year, one of those years where rap exploded on the charts and all this stuff to a lot of the big records that came out also in ninety nine and ninety eight, so I think it kind of got lost a little bit, but not to me, you know, Geddy Green phenomenal.
Speaker 1: Project.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also had that on my list, but I'll let you continue, Okay.
Speaker 1: Then I got schooy D Smoked Some Kill.
Speaker 4: This is his third album, but it's his first album where his picture was actually on the cover and you got another poem, same white Bitch, Should we go again? Black Man Treacherous? And this album I think is so important because.
Speaker 1: Musically Schoolly de created gangster rap.
Speaker 4: You know, really, I'd say that he had done it before with Gangster Boogi in his earlier records, but of course, PSK, what does it mean to me is the beginning against the rap. You know, it influenced Iced Tea to make six in the Morning in the way that he did. But with Smoke Some Kill, Schoolly had changed from the schooly D album that came out in eighty five Saturday Night, the album which came out in eighty six when he gets to jive and puts out in eighty eight, Smoke Some Kill his production and he produced all of his music, so he was to me also really the first rapper producer, and Smoked Some Kill he evolved his sound. He changed and was still telling all these street stories, talking about drugs, talking about being on the corners and all this different stuff as he had done before, but he added he always sprinkled it in and I think on Smoke Some Kill he started doing it more and more the political commentary, the social commentary exactly. And we get a lot more that with his next album and I Black Enough for You, But that one I think toned down on the gangster asm a little mit. So I put Smoke Some Kill, which to me is more stream, more gangster. Then I'm gonna go with Ice Cubes the Predator when when they shoot it was a good day, who got the camera?
Speaker 3: All these songs, hold on, let me go back? So you got it was a good day in the bottom in the last team.
Speaker 1: Well for the whole album, for the whole album.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a big album. Man, I had that raty to look higher. Well that's a tough but I'm not mad at it though, because Cubes gonna have multiple entries do this thing. I'm pretty sure he is.
Speaker 4: And the other thing that I'll say about it is, to me, Smoke Some Kill. The production is just so amazing. And I'm only talking about a few songs.
Speaker 1: Here and there.
Speaker 4: And I think that The Predator coming off of America's or excuse me, coming off that certificate, I was just to me, that certificate is going to be way higher on the list. So we'll talk in detail about that later as is America's most wanted and I just thought The Predator, as amazing as it is, is a distinct It's not as good as those two albums.
Speaker 3: It's very different.
Speaker 4: It's a lot more, very different, very commercial, well sonically especially, it's it's very and even lyrically. There's a lot of different things going on on it that I think show again Cubes brilliant. But I also think it's a very different album in so many different ways. And again, to make in the.
Speaker 1: Top forties, that's pretty that's a tall, tall order.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. I believe it's fair. Yeah, that's a fair assessment. I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 4: And then we're gonna get to DJ Quick with Safe and Sound.
Speaker 3: That one.
Speaker 4: Quick's got multiple entries on here for me too, and I remember, obviously a super gang banging, but I remember, you know, he's got to get at me save a salad dollars and cents, of course. But I also remember, and I've talked to Quick about this many times over the years, and I've written about it with him. You know, this was during one of the he made this album during one of the darkest, most frustrating times of his life, and that's reflected in the music. It's very angry and it's not as bright as say Rhythmalism or even Quick as the name for that matter, And.
Speaker 3: The album's kind of melancholy and dark little it's very not kind of it's extremely it's a dark album. But that being said, it's still brilliant and amazing and shows that, you know, at this point when you're getting two three albums in like schooly D, like ice Cube and like DJ quickar to me, that's just showing their brilliance because at this point in the early and then with the Safe and Sound being ninety five, you're getting into the mid nineties. So gangster rap created in eighty five exploded in eighty eight eighty nine, So now we have a six seven years after its real explosion. And so yeah, next I got a DJ Quick Safe and Sound, you know, just coming into ninety four ninety five era.
Speaker 1: You know, at me Safe and Sound.
Speaker 4: Dollars and Cents or some of my favorite tracks on there, and I think that you know, this is getting into being quick third album. It was released during one of the more frustrating difficulty times in his life, as having talked to spent a lot of time Quick over the years. I know that he was going through a lot personally, you know, as he talked about and just like Compton, you know, a lot was going on in the road professionally, he was learning a lot about the game, but then he was dealing with a lot of personal strife. And that I think you can feel in Safe and Sound because it's a very angry, very melancholy, very frustrated album. And for me, you know, that definitely comes through musically, but I think that doesn't take away from.
Speaker 1: The power of the project.
Speaker 3: It was very dope aunt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and like Schoolyde, Quick produced himself, so I think that to me just shows his brilliance and likes schooly D like an ice tea, like an ice cube.
Speaker 1: Now that you're getting into the late and mid I.
Speaker 4: Mean really the mid nineteen nineties, to have three four or five albums like Quick, ice Cube and sque D Had a Nice Tea, even that's just showing you that what they're doing is working, it's resonating with the fans, and the power of the music is.
Speaker 1: Really really out there because.
Speaker 4: There these guys are the ones that are really putting in motion what's going on in a lot of the rest of the country and changing how people wrap. And I think Quick had that, you know, from his aesthetic, the way he dressed, his style and everything. He just he brought a different level of gangsterism to the game. Man.
Speaker 3: Well, DJ Quick as a superstar.
Speaker 1: That's that's an understable star.
Speaker 3: You know, just from the guys live performances. Yeah, I'm a big judge of live performances. I can't stand the dudes that get go on stage and just kind of just stand up there where they got five hundred people behind him. You know, Quick as a great performer, and he's one of the few people that produces just as good as he wrapped. He raps just as good as he produces. Well, he's a one producer and he's a one rapper.
Speaker 1: I think he is.
Speaker 4: I said this on his unsung if you haven't seen it, but I'm quoted on there because I said and I told him many times, but I think he is the best rapper producer ever.
Speaker 3: Oh, he is of all time because he writes his own, he pins his own wraps. He don't have no ghost right or no.
Speaker 1: I've been in the studio when he's read it and recorded it.
Speaker 3: So I've seen I've had the pleasure of being you know, with him in the studio and seeing him work. It's almost like seeing the heart surge. And this particular zeal is because he had bringing down everything on the SSL.
Speaker 1: Is this when you were with High Seeding?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is when I was. I see yep, when I was going the road with High seeing those guys, you know, that's those guys gain my breaking industry man, that whole camp.
Speaker 1: That's why I brought it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So, but just you know, having the opportunity to be in there with him and just see him spend hours on the snare to just really just be like an I've seen him make the most incredible beats and just say I don't like it and just throw the shit away, like like literally a racing and you'll be looking like, what the fuck? Man? That just sounded like some alien shit like just her man, this dude just erasing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, when you're a genius, I guess you can do that.
Speaker 3: He's definitely a genius.
Speaker 4: Okay, So my next album is gonna be iced Tea's freedom of speech. Just watch what you say lethal weapons on there? You played yourself is on there, and I think Iced Tea is one of the best rappers of all time.
Speaker 3: Or one of the greats for sure.
Speaker 4: I think he's criminally no pun intended, but criminally underrated. And I think that you know, you Play Yourself and he Iced Tea, I think is the master of showing the pitfalls of the game but also the highs.
Speaker 1: Of the game.
Speaker 4: And I think he was and remains the best of that. And I think the freedom of speech of album is coming where Rapp was under a lot of attack.
Speaker 1: This is eighty nine.
Speaker 4: You know, NWA had exploded, Easy had exploded, schooly D had been successful, Ice had been successful coming off the Power album is a I think best selling album all the time. And the reality is Ice was like, you know, just watch what you say. You can say whatever you want to say.
Speaker 3: We're in America.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, there's gonna be repercussions, There's gonna be things that are gonna happen to you. And I think this album really kind of got on that. And You Played Yourself is another one of those cautionary tales that Ice I think is one of the best at doing and really showing like Ice Cube did schooy d did so many people did that are the best, like the Might, the DJ Quicks of the world, the Project Pats of the world.
Speaker 1: They show you the downfall of the game.
Speaker 4: And you know, I also think that Ice ICE's creativity and his playerrism was on full effect on this album as well.
Speaker 1: And you know, we get to send the kid popping.
Speaker 4: Up a little bit, and it's just a great album.
Speaker 1: This one is a little hard for me to rank this low.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I want to go back to Ice teat real quick because I had the pleasure of meeting Darlene right here last week. Oh you know, you know, we took a picture and everything, and I was telling her about because you know, I thought it was so cool that he put his own woman on the album cover. And she said that Ice, he didn't want to do nothing. Everything had to be authentic. As a matter of fact, he said, I didn't know you could lie. So he said, you know, the idea of him having some chicken he didn't know on his album cover and wearing juryty wasn't he is? He said, Man, I got all that shit for real, I'm gonna wear it on an album. Can wear my shit?
Speaker 4: Well, Ice has told me many times that, you know, Russell Simmons had come to see him perform early in his career, and he didn't know that Ice that particular performance. Ice didn't know he was going to be performing, so he just went on wearing what he was wearing. And he told me that Russell Simmons told him that's your look because that's who you are. You don't need to dress like you're from New York or anything else. You're an LA street dude and you're a fly player like dude. That's that's your image. Don't change it.
Speaker 3: Ice T was very influential, man, because when you know, back in the day, they used to wear these silk suits out here man with the like silk shirt. I saw Ice T had that on. Man. The first thing I did when I hit California is I wanted to swap meet. Bought me two or threeoms those look I don't know if they was real silk, but I looked like him, and I got me to look chain with the Uzie on it. I had a baby first though. That motherfucker was the flyes dude. Whatever, man, but I'll let you continue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ice is by far one of the greatest rappers ever the next one. It's hard to put this a little bit low, but I think many of the albums that were discussing and gonna be throughout the series, the productionists held up so much, and I think this one parts of it haven't, which is why it's a little bit lower to me, which is criminal minded.
Speaker 1: By booking out productions.
Speaker 3: You got a lot of records I got ranked higher than the forties, and you got them in the bottom part. Your list would be a motherfucker.
Speaker 4: It is it is. But of course this is a brilliant album and Karis one to me is top five rappers of all time.
Speaker 1: But you know, this album really showed.
Speaker 4: Gangster rap from the East Coast perspective, especially through the title track. Nine Milimeter Goes Bang is another one, and that song in particular, being from Maryland and listening to a lot of Go Go growing up, that was a big song that they made into a go Go song, Nine Milimeter Goes Bang, So you know that had an extra layer and it just showed like this music from the South. Bronx is resonating all the way down in DC and being on an independent label be Boy Records and Karris, you know, they didn't have at least to my knowledge, they never have any videos for this or anything.
Speaker 1: It was just like pure word of mouth.
Speaker 3: It was just all word of mouth.
Speaker 4: And this album is a masterpiece. But then you get like Poetry and Elementary and all these other records that are not Gangster rep and karas One who have had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing and hanging out with the number of time over the years. You know, the harder Streeter stuff. Gangster stuff was more Scott LaRock and karas One was much more on the poetry to Elementary and that's what you see starting, you know, on the next album, which is why the rest of will get on productions. And then Karris Wan's music as a solo artist is so different because that wasn't what who karas One is or what he wanted to represent.
Speaker 1: He wanted to be the.
Speaker 4: Stop the violence guy, the self destruction guy, and you know, that's my philosophy guy. And that's why, you know, the subsequent albums sounds so different, but it's a masterpiece. It's just the production. I think then age as well, so I had to for me, at least when I'm looking at the totality of these projects. I'm trying to you know, I'm as objective as possible, and I just that's the one thing that dinged it down and got it a little lower than me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, His beach don't really didn't really hold it up over time compared to a lot of other stuff, you know, now, that one and I think you got to think about it. He was on one of the probably worst record labels at that time. They put out a lot of pivotal albums. But like I was, that's the same label. I believe EPMD was on the first Sleeping Bag Records.
Speaker 1: Right, No, they were on B Boy Records for Criminal Minded.
Speaker 4: Okay, so Sleeping Bag had just Ice at epm D, at Steezel at Manta. Right, you're right hugely, but B Boy Records mainly had Looking Out productions, JVC Force and Sparky D.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's Sparky D. What's funny about the album?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: I remember I think Carris One only made like five thousand dollars off the album.
Speaker 1: Man, it wasn't surprised me.
Speaker 3: You made like five g's off a classical album. It's crazy, all right, go ahead, So I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: So next, we're going to get into one of our personal favorites, and a great album is the Convicts album. Uh, Big Mic and three two just killing this. This for the convicts, the one nine hundred dollar Crook. It's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Penitentiary blues Man, Illegal Aliens. They put out a legal Aliens today, man, I'm doing.
Speaker 1: They wouldn't be able to put that song out today.
Speaker 3: They couldn't do it. Everybody is so sensitive now. But you know what, I'm not going to say I agreed with everything they said in that song necessarily, but the stance that they were coming from, they were all most on some real textas patriotic shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: It's like Texas is its own country. But I think this album, as you and I both know, it's a shame that the Convicts only did the one album because Big Mike, of course later with the Ghetto Boys and later as a solo artist, is a phenomenal talent. And then three to two, you know, unfortunately didn't didn't get to make as much music, but.
Speaker 3: He's very They almost wond up on different riggords, you know that.
Speaker 1: Right of course they were out here making the chronic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they almost wound up on different ricords. Man, I talked to Big Mike about it all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I did an interview with him and we talked about that on my Unique Access Entertainment channel on YouTube. But the reality is this album is amazing, and I think it just shows Peterman of course is on there too, but it just it's amazing. But I think it's it's a very well rounded album.
Speaker 3: And storytelling and everything on there. Big Mike showed his ass as was three.
Speaker 4: Two, yeah, and the next one, And this is one of those things I was mentioning earlier that UGK could and maybe arguably should have more entries. But I think Riding Dirty is the most gangster album because Dirty Money I love and has so many great songs, but I think that Riding Dirty is the one. You know, one day murdered Diamond Wood. That's why I carry like these these are straight super gangsterism type of songs, and it just shows, you know, one of the things that I love about rap is getting all these different perspectives. So like, if you're looking at the people I've been mentioning, like Project Pat, Memphis, schooly D, Philadelphia, Ice Cube, La, DJ Quick Compton, iced T South Central, We'll get out production South Bronx, and you got the Convicts from well Big Mike from New Orleans originally but then relocating to Houston, and then three two in Houston. But then we get to UGK with Port Arthur, PA. And that's the thing that I love in that just coincidentally my list really represents is that getting all these different voices, all these different street tails from all over the country and these are now in different errors. You know, some of my stuff is from the eighties, some of it's from the nineties, So it's just showing you know, rap growing, developing, rap, you know, evolving.
Speaker 1: And I think that.
Speaker 4: Bunby and PIMC, of course had phenomenal chemistry. Another self produced group largely done by PIMC, of course, But I just think that their storytelling and their perspective was very, very distinctive and really uh broke things down in a different way from a different perspective than we really had had. And it's hard for me to only put one, but like I said, I think Ryding Dirty is the most street gangster album that they had, So that's the one I think is the best.
Speaker 3: Match for sure. I hope y'all appreciate what we're doing right now, because what we're doing for as much as we're putting our list together in real time in front of you guys, because I'm over here writing things down, because we got some unanimous choices across the board. But me, I have multiple entries with UGK, that's one of my artists. I got multiple entries in What's Your Next one?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 4: The next one is hard because I look at two these albums similar, but I'm gonna go with the East Siders producer and trays.
Speaker 1: The old fashioned way.
Speaker 4: I had them higher because I think this album, oh Man, Trady, Godi Locan, of course, Snoop do such a phenomenal job.
Speaker 1: Nate Dogg is all on it, buta Toya Williams is on them multiple times.
Speaker 3: What's your favorite song on there?
Speaker 4: I mean, crip Hop Connected, East Side Riders. Those are probably three of my favorites, so it's hard to say my favorite song. I love it, of course, was a big single Doghouse in Your Mouth. I mean, it's just so many great songs on this album.
Speaker 3: I like Doghouse in your Mouth, sugar Free, Kiel.
Speaker 1: That shit, did he ever?
Speaker 3: Yeah, sugar Free destroyed that.
Speaker 4: So this album, I think Goldie Lok is great, and Trey D has continued to be such a phenomenal rapper and put out so much material. I know he's got new material out now. To tray D, I think is one of those artists. For whatever reason, I don't think the masses really understand and appreciate what a great artist trade.
Speaker 3: He is as lyrically, he's very visual with his lyrics extremely because I even listen to him on Glass. You got a song with Glasses where you say it what homicide, come align them bags up, and it was just like so I said, damn this motherfuckers really like the West Coast Crip version of rock Kim.
Speaker 1: No, he is phenomenal, you know.
Speaker 4: Actually it's funny you say that because on my Unique Access people should check it out. We did a Best Album's episode where I talked to him about his favorite album and he did Paid in Full, So Eric being rock Kim is Paid in Full is his favorite album? Talk about that in general. So it's funny you just bring up him about being a West Coast He.
Speaker 3: Gues cadence is kind of similar to rock Heems, you know, because he's a Margs and the Margan guy. You know, he just spitting man like when he said that shit, he said, I forget it, verbating what he said. He said, not he's scared to hang out. Niggas know we did. We screamed insane out, you know, like not he scared to hang out. And I was like, Damn, this is a bad motherfucker. He's very underrated man, severely underrated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think Trady is one of the most underrated rappers ever and I think he's an immense talent, giant in the game.
Speaker 3: He was man one of my favorite rappers for sure.
Speaker 4: And I think there was in Trey's old fashioned way. Ironically, the first album is self titled debut album, was more popular, sold more and all that other stuff. But I think this album is actually better. I think it's They're both have spectacular moments and they're both great.
Speaker 1: But I think and trade. I just I don't know, I just I.
Speaker 4: Really really think the production. So now number fifty, the last one on my list is a Snoop DOGG No Limit, Top Dog.
Speaker 3: No Limit, Top Dog. I had to hire.
Speaker 4: Too now this album. If you haven't hired and you know, bitch, please buck them. Down for my ends. Snoop of Fella. There's so many songs on here, but the most impressive thing to me about it is to me, Snoop as Glass as that I have talked about. I'm sure you and Glass have talked about. That's he thinks it's the best rapper as the best catalog, and I think No Limit Top Dog. You know, coming from dog Father and the first No Limited album, people were kind of like, eh, I don't know about Snoop as much. But then when he came back with No One Limit Top Dog, I had never lost faith in Snoop because I had been around him and I knew what was happening during this time. And then when I went I happened to go to his house and he played me to him and a little me talk dog. Uh this is when he used to stay in Claremont, and I was like, I couldn't believe it. Still, I was just like, this album is bananas, and you know Buckham being toward the front of the album sticky Fingers was you know, I knew he was rumored to be on Aftermath or was on Aftermath collaborating with Aftermath, but to hear how he and Snoop worked so well together, exhibited exploding on Bitch Please, super Flies on there, I mean, sugar Freeze on the album.
Speaker 1: It's just it's a.
Speaker 3: Real dope album. It's amazing, and it was Snoop kind of saying I'm still here.
Speaker 4: Not only that, but I'm as good as I've ever been.
Speaker 3: But was crazy about it. Man, dog Father took a lot of flack and I heard, you know, I remember hearing whispers through the enemy, you know, through the whole industry today was trying to get rid of Snoop and I was and that was really befuddled because of that, because that shit sold like two or three million albums.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was definitely.
Speaker 3: I didn't know what the problem was. I was like, why are they getting while trying to get rid of Snoop?
Speaker 4: Well know, but to this point with no of them at Top Dog coming out in nineteen ninety nine, you know, Snoop coming out with deep Cover, then being the start the Chronic and then Doggy Style, that's you know, ninety two to ninety nine, that's you know, seven years, but really eight years. And it's like, dude, to be to quote unquote to have people feel that you fell off, and then eight years later you're like, have the with Bitch Please. In particular, you got the biggest song in rap exact probably or one of the biggest songs at the time, and that's through the Reunite Reuniting with Dre. It's just so much going on on this album, and I was just like, people don't know, man.
Speaker 3: But him and Doctor Dre are definitely peanut buttering Shelley. Whenever I see them two get together, I don't care what time period of seeing I'm betting on them dudes, as you should, because they're going to come out with some shit that's just gonna ship the whole coach all the time.
Speaker 1: All right, So that's mine. What about you are?
Speaker 3: Still? Okay? We got a lot of the same ones, the stuff that you already had on your list that we went over. I'm not going to go on a you know, a long time about it or whatever, because we already talked about it. I'll be very brief. My number one is Big Mike and Lord three to the Convicts.
Speaker 1: All right, Oh for forty one, for forty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for forty one. That's my forty one right there. My next one is Schoolly de smokes and kill.
Speaker 1: All right, you know, I guess you know me, you that's the same.
Speaker 3: Actually, you know me, You and eight all voted than that one. Right. My number three album is Easy. Easy doesn't not my favorite one over here, but it's kind of just.
Speaker 1: The honest A lot higher with Easy, doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I'm pretty sure yours is higher. But I say that because Easy is almost like you know, schooly D is the godfather of gains the rep, but Easy is the godfather between him and ice T. I gotta give to ice T first, but I got an ice T way up higher too. He has multiple entries, by the way, but he is my forty three. My forty four is my man, Project Betpack Getty Green. You know, even though he got the pat the sketch the from my bay Ball, I think he perfected it. And he's severely underrated. Man. He's one of the greatest storytellers in hip hop. Pat is for sure, No Patty is man. Go out and check out Project Pat. Don't sleep on my guy. My forty five is the Dayton Family. You know, my Midwest cast. You know the Dayton shout out. You know what's on my mind. Number forty six for Me is Trick Daddy based on a true story, forty seven above the Low, Black Moth Your Life forty eight, Koogie Rap four five six. You know, I think this I could have rated this higher, but Koogie Rap is just one of the greatest lyricists of all time, one of the greatest rappers of all time. Doesn't necessarily make the greatest albums though.
Speaker 4: Well, I got Cooled You Wrap a different album higher, so he'll be on my list, but for a different project.
Speaker 3: But he's definitely one. He's definitely and I.
Speaker 4: Got The Black Mafia Life higher too, so we'll be seeing yeah.
Speaker 3: See so yeah, that's one of the ones that we got to write down that's in there, you know, Automatic Entry. I kind of struggled with this one because I love him. I love him as an artist, but he is not consistent at all. Was that mc ringing, Shock at the Hour?
Speaker 4: Shot at the Hours phenomenal? And I think Ruthless Villain and Ruthless for Life. Really those three albums I think are all excellent projects. And Shot at the Hour I just remember, you know, Bob Catechors did a lot of work on there too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was the staff producer at that time. You know, after Drede left, Easy got with him because he was doing a lot of stuff with Rhythm D and those guys. You know, he had continued doing a Rhythm D and there with Bob was kind of running the whole staff over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, Bobcat, as you and I have talked about many times over the years, to me, if not one of the most underrated producers, but he's a phenomenal producer. Some of his stuff's gonna show up elsewhere on my list.
Speaker 1: But oh for sure, I think that shot at the hour.
Speaker 4: I think Wren Again, it's hard for me to say he's underrated because he's in NWA and because kiss My Black Ass was a platinum EP, But I think mc wren is still underrated, and I think that, you know, I think it's just because when you come from basically the Beatles are rap and you got Ice Cube and Doctor Dre and Easy, that it's like you could be an All Star on the All Star team, but it's just tough.
Speaker 3: Well, you know the thing about it, he had to battle all those other guys, celebrity you know, Doctor Dre, who was like, who's been the best producer in hip hop, like at Forever, you know, Forever, you know, you got easy who's very polarizing, right, you know, he just had that risk and he was you know, he was interesting. You know because I first heard him, he thought it was a sixteen year old kid or something like that.
Speaker 1: You remember, he made the little things, he made a joke, and.
Speaker 3: I thought the motherfucker was really sixteen. For the bongs, I was like, who is this bad motherfucker man going on cussing everybody out? I just thought it was a trip man. But my last and final one, I wanted to put this higher. This is a group that has multiple entries in my list. I picked UGK super Tight.
Speaker 1: That was another one that.
Speaker 4: Was I was trying to figure out UGK and how to properly salute and uh present them. But super Tight is super tight, so I have no no problems there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know. So if you look at this, we pretty much almost our lists.
Speaker 4: Were identical, very very similar, very similar, even though.
Speaker 3: He had some steps through me off. But that's what these things do. I think everybody should speak from the hard on because it's not all about record sales all the time. Because as you know, being a you know, writer, you know, writing for hip hop as long as you have marketing plays a big part.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look like, for example, both of us have The Convicts and you got Dayton Family.
Speaker 4: I've interviewed Dayton Family, and you know I got Bootleg on Unique Access Entertainment. But the reality is Dayton Family put out a lot of great music and the Convicts both through Too and Big Mic. But then as the Convicts, that's a great project that definitely didn't sell a lot of units. It definitely wasn't known by most people. I would argue, but it's amazing fifty three or something like that, and the rap charts the Convicts autum on R and B.
Speaker 1: It wouldn't it wouldn't surprise me.
Speaker 3: So but problem that was almost from word of mouth.
Speaker 4: And that's why I'm glad we're framing it in the way of this is like purely about the art, and I think that to show that the Convicts their album is so amazing and really set the stage for especially Big Mic to really blow up as a solo artist and as a member of the Ghetto Boys. But it just shows you that this type of stuff, man, really, really it is all about the art. When we're talking about it because the convicts wouldn't be on here if we only cared about record sales or if that was such a big point of it.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad we're doing it this way.
Speaker 3: Well, it can't be just about record sales, man, because like I said, master Piece sold a lot of albums back then, a lot of albums. And I had master Pe ice cream Man initially in my bottom fifty and I made it ih oa because I just, you know, it's all about impact to me. Master P really when he came in the game and we just kind of give him a preview for what may see next week.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you have previewed the remixes, but I think.
Speaker 3: Master P man for with it. He pretty much usher in the era of the hustler, of the true hust the dude that says, you know what, motherfuckers might. He sounded like a real New Orld language dude, you know what I mean. He sounded like he was a dude really from down there for New Orleans, you know. He sounded like one of them more boys, you know, for real, right, And it was just a different sounds. So I dug it. He wasn't the most. You know, it's not like you know when you hear NOAs I didn't exactly listen to master p because you know, to get exercise and lyricism, no, you know, but it was just some good old fashioned hood shit.
Speaker 4: And that's the other thing I think that's important about this list and just discussing rap. Everything's not about always got to have these like supreme lyrics, you know, it's about the music, about the like I was saying, criminal Minded, like some of those, it's the vibe, and it's the production, it's the feel. And you know, I'm sure as we get going, we're all going to have more stuff with Doctor dre produced. But when you see that like that just shows you the power and the importance of production. And that's why, you know, a lot of these records as we get into the top, you know, get into the thirties and above, like, you know, you gotta have the great lyrics, you gotta have the great stories, you gotta have the great production, you gotta have all these elements that make it timeless music, which is why we're talking about it exactly.
Speaker 3: And as you see having half any ice ta in my bottom, you know, my final team because I haven't much higher.
Speaker 4: Well I got Iced Tea higher too, so they'll be multiple. And he's one of those artists that got several entries on the list for.
Speaker 3: Sure, as he should, you know, I can tell you right now, we haven't brought his name up yet for the group Scarface.
Speaker 1: He's on here a couple of times.
Speaker 3: He's right there next to Cube, and I told him that. And I'm going to be honest right now. I love Ice Cuban as a rapper, but I Scarface is my favorite rapper. But I told Scarface that. He said, man, he better stop that. Knock it off. He said that Cube is a bad motherfucker, of course, so it was kind of it was funny, you know, to hear him say that. I was telling him, like, dudes, you my favorite motherfucker. You and Q. Him and Cube are so.
Speaker 1: Similar in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: You know. They're just both really descriptive with their rhymes. And this is one thing I don't like and hip hop, the dudes that kind of do too much with the lyrical miracle, you know, all that stuff. To me, that's for me. Biggie Gray, Biggie Q, and Scarface all share the same characteristics. They say a lot by saying a little like Biggie, you know my rap rhymes, light, laying minds, one step to boom, black suits, field the room, ice, cute. God damn. I'm glad y'all said it. Though used to be hard. Now you just salt, you know. So it's just like they do. The most was saying a little and you understand what they're saying. I know a lot of incredible rappers. Man. The rass Cash to me is one of the baddest motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: They ever hold a microphone, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: As China wag sell, for sure, we're living in the real life idiocracy area era right.
Speaker 1: Now, no doubt about it, to where people.
Speaker 3: Don't want to think so. I enjoy their music, but there aren't that many intellectus. It's more idiots than.
Speaker 1: Those intellects, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: You know, not saying that people not dumb, but people just want it. Some people can't digest that type of stuff, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, and if the people don't understand what you're saying, man, usually you can lose somebody along the way.
Speaker 4: That happens, and that's why the razkaz is in the Chino excels of the world are more popular, but that doesn't take away from their talent at all.
Speaker 3: And those guys have been able to carve out a niche in the game for themselves where they've had some really long careers and who's to say, maybe if they win commercial they may not still be around. These guys are still actively touring, putting the albums in.
Speaker 4: They're still respected, absolutely absolutely, and I.
Speaker 3: Think that's what makes this thing hip hop's so interesting. The biggest parallel I give the gangster rap is almost like professional wrestling. You have all of these colorful people and everybody has their stick like, you know, you have Dusty Roads, you have you know, Dusty Rose kind of represented the common man. Rick Flair represented the Paul. You know, he came out with the woo and a little struck. He was just a bad motherfucker, right right. And I think that's when you look at the ice cubes, the scarfaces, a lot of people sleep on them. And this is the guy that got multiple entries in his list. I'm pretty sure you got him too. Short. These dudes have a swagger that's almost out of this world. When you meet short and I you know, I trip off sometimes that these dudes are actually my buddies now, right, you know, I actually, you know, talk to these guys and now I'm like, man, this is I'm talking too short right now. He's a bad motherfucker. He's been doing it for a long time. You got to give him as props, man. Yeah, anytime somebody could survive something. Man, what an average shelf life is two years? Dude, two and a half years for a rapper, And I'm talking about somebody had a push.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, if that, if that, and that's.
Speaker 3: Someone that had a push, that's someone that half they had a career. Right for these dudes to be around, fuck thirty forty years, they've short been doing it a motherfucker last ten years. Look at the run Cube. Is Steve rest Releivant his effort? Yep, he's just making movies. Yeah, you know at this point he's almost like Michael Jordan. He don't done so much in the game. What the fuck? What it else for him be for him to do in the game?
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I mean that's like I was saying. When you look at the.
Speaker 4: Ice Tea, the ice Cube, the Snoop Dogg and another one and the Doctor Dre those four that's that's really the pinnacle of everything. And they all other than Snoop, they all got started in the eighties and Snoop was right behind him in ninety two.
Speaker 3: So and they're still doing it. Man, And who would have ever thought that Snooper wound up the biggest thing man in Black America. Man, just straighten to come home. Man, he's just a phenomenal god. You know what I'm saying, It's like Snoop is all and I'll say this is nope, I'm not being disrespectful at all. But Snoop is almost like a cartoon character. He's like the McDonald's sign. He's like Mickey Mouse, which means he's just like an entity upon it.
Speaker 1: He's world famous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's world famous because I remember, I never will forget this man. Me and Big psychles thing out. Big Cycle was one of my good friends. Like we had formed a really good relationship and we were in Dubai. He actually had a show out there. So in this hotel we weren they had like a dry queens downstairs. So I took some shit you know when you got lucks going overseas, and just got these nice ass shirts that just got ruined. You're all wrinkled up and shit right. So I take them to the dry queens that I come back to. Lady says, oh you have daddy, nice material. Are you entertaining you know? I was like yeah, I said, yeah, I do this and that. She said, I don't know much. Rep. I know Snoop Doggy Dog. I like Snoop Doggie Dog. And we're talking about us probably at the time, a sixty seventy year old Hindu woman.
Speaker 4: Wow, she knew who.
Speaker 3: Snoop Dogg was. I could see it. Damn man, that motherfucker's.
Speaker 1: Popping, that's for sure, you know.
Speaker 3: So, man, we don't get together next week. Yep, we got our bottom ten and we're talking the phone about that. And you guys see the results in the next six weeks, next five to six weeks. So I will tell you I would give you a long drawn out oultro soon, but I'm gonna see your ass next week. Man.
Speaker 4: There it is he here next week.
Speaker 3: App here next week. I want to give you guys out there, man, a message. COVID is still out there. Make sure y'all washing, y'all hands, man, make sure I don't know if we need to go back to wearing a mask. I don't even want to get in all that, but take care of yourself though still out there and we out of here. Well. That concludes another episode of the Gainst the Chronicles podcast. Be sure to download the iHeart app and subscribe to The Gangster Chronicles podcast For Apple users, find a purple mica on the front of your screen, subscribe to the show, leave a comment and rating. Executive producers for The Gangster Chronicles podcasts of Norman Stealed Aaron M c a Tyler. Our visual media director is Brian Whatt, and the audio editors tell It Hayes. The Gangster Chronicles is a production of iHeartMedia Network and The Black Effect podcast Network. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app Apple podcasts wherever you're listening to your podcasts