Speaker 1: From UFOs to psychic powers and government conspiracies. History is riddled with unexplained events. You can turn back now or learn this stuff they don't want you to know. A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome back to the show. My name is Matt, my name is Noah.
Speaker 3: They call me Ben. We're joined as always with our super producer, Paul Mission Control Decant. Most importantly, you are you. You are here, and that makes this the stuff they don't want you to know. We're finally doing it. This is our episode about chips, and thank goodness because we talked about Yeah, we talked about chips a lot off air. We were talking about on Instagram ad that some of us have been getting for very very strange potato chips, really.
Speaker 4: Strange and exotic potato.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think both you and I Ben have received one for a Lais Shabu shaboo hot pot flavor, which seems delightful. And of course you know you and I, I think all four of us frequent Asian supermarkets quite a lot like the super h marts of the world, and there you'll see this insane variety of chips that you just don't get in your you know, Humble, Kroger or Publics or whatever. But we're not really talking about those kind of chips today, though, are we.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Unfortunately, I guess we should rip off the band aid now. The chips are amazing, potato chips in particular. But there's another kind of chip that we're going to explore tonight. It is the kind of chip that makes civilization as we know it possible in the first place. These chips are often referred to as semiconductors. Think of them as the silent servants of the digital age. Depending upon whom you ask, they may just trigger the next World war. Here are the facts before we get any further. What is a semiconductor? This is the land of no dumb questions.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of that, let's let's just do a little upfront information here for everybody listening. Your boy Matt is a dumb dumb and did all of his research on LK ninety nine superconductor stuff that was going on in the news. I literally I don't know where I crossed my my semiconductors, guys, But I totally like, I have no idea what's going on in this episode. So I'm gonna be just completely I've lost.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Surely that knowledge will come in handy somewhere down there.
Speaker 2: I don't think it will. I don't think it will.
Speaker 3: I think it will. But like, okay, before we get into semiconductors, Ben tell us a little bit about the LK ninety nine because that news sort of rocked rocked the digital world a few weeks back.
Speaker 2: Sure, well, today the news came out that officially, people who've been trying to replicate this super this room temperature superconductor technology, it came back and they said, no, it's not actually a superconductor. It does have really cool things going on about it, but it's not a room temperature superconductor, which would would have changed the game for everything, including and especially chips and semiconductors. So anyway, let's get into the episode and talk about semiconductors. I apologize, guys.
Speaker 4: I guess that begs the question. We're talking about, first and foremost the idea of conductivity, you know, and what does it mean?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: I mean not not to you know, state the obvious, but you know, conducting materials are able to allow electricity to pass through them and can be used for all things like wiring and you know, it's you know, there are materials that are conductive where it's not a good thing. You know, you could it could be dangerous, you know, and you have to be very careful about, you know, having electricity around pools, like you know, don't don't blow dry your hair in the bathtub and keep the toaster far far away, because that's the recipe for disaster. But the idea of like something that conducts better or less better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't live on the electric fence of conductors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, does urine and conduct electricity. It's got electrolytes in it, right, would you would you if you really whizzed on the electric fence, would you get zapped?
Speaker 6: I mean, it's not a good idea, probably not, because we know water can conduct electricity, and urine is you know, urines like laqua it's water with a little something extra.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Luquah wants us to portray them that way. But on the other end of the spectrum, there's the insulators, right, like glass is an insulator. Uh yeah, yeah, electricity doesn't really vibe with those. So when it was funny we're talking off air just before we recorded about semi conductor, why would you want something that is in this goldilocks zone between insulation and super conductivity. Well, it's because it allows you to control the flow. It lets you put some lets you put some if VENs, some ones and zeros into the mix. And as you're listening to tonight's show, there are billions of little semiconductor ones and zeros making this possible. Even if it doesn't sound like a bunch of ones and zeros, everything you do electronically is that.
Speaker 4: I sort of made the comment off Mike that the name semiconductor almost sounds kind of like a bit of a self phone where it's like, I'm not that good at conducting electrocity. I'm only semi good at it. But that matters because we want to be able to, as you said, Ben, kind of stem the flow of electricity in ways that are conducive to certain technological processes, you know. And those those billions of switches, I guess the ones and zeros. If then's that's what's so important. And all of that's contained within this tiny little piece of real estate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, and that tiny real estate. And then let's go back to what Ben, you were saying about conductors and insulators and semiconductors. The problem with metal like copper, or even when you get into things like silicon, when you pump electrons through there, let's say, in copper, electrons are just going willy nilly everywhere throughout that those atoms of that copper, the electrons you go in, it goes everywhere. That's why you get resistance. That's why you get heat in anything. Right, Like we were just talking about my computers being so hot. I've been having these recording problems. It's because this thing is generating a ton of heat, which is just the resistance the electricity lost basically due to the materials used in the creation of this machine. And that's why.
Speaker 4: And over time it's gotten less efficient I guess, or the battery has lost some of its original oomph and now it's sort of like generating way more of that than it should and which is why it's time to put that thing out to pasture.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also because the semiconductors that were manufactured back in twenty twelve, twenty thirteen, you know, were of a certain grade and they degrade over time, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 3: So the question is of course coming from a culture where bigger, better, faster is always superior. It might seem counterintuitive to have something less conductive, but having a semiconductor material because of the way resistance works, it allows humans to make amplifiers. It allows humans to make switches. And shout out to professor of electrical engineering at Arizona State University, Trevor Thornton has a great explainer on this with the good folks at the conversation, and Thornton puts it this way. He breaks down the chips in a very understandable way. He says, these chips are typically made from thin slices of silicon, and they have complex components laid out in specific patterns. These patterns control the flow of current using those switches we're talking about transistors, and Thornton says, it's pretty much the same way you control the electrical current in your home. The light switch is a literal switch right turned off or on the flow of the electricity. But the difference between the switches in our houses and the switches in a semiconductor is that those semiconductor switches are first off, very very tiny, and they're entirely electrical. They need no mechanical components to flip, and there are billions of switches, tens of billions in the sophisticated chips. And this is an area not much bigger than your thumbnail, not even know your thumbnail is probably your best fingernail, not much bigger than your pinky nail.
Speaker 4: And that's the part where I just my mind just kind of glazes over where I'm like, this is, for all intents and purposes, might as well be alien tech to me. Like I understand a circuit and the basics of electronics, you know, and like the if then of like a basic printed circuit board, like in a piece of musical equipment, for example, and oftentimes those will incorporate switches, you know, to turn a thing on or off, whether it be blocking a signal path you know, or like whatever, or turning on a certain filter or whatever it might be. But this whole billions of switches in an area not much larger than the size of a fingernail is just I can't wrap my head around it.
Speaker 3: It makes me think, you know, at some point, well, at some point, there will be a physical limit to how many switches can be put onto a single chip. When you get to the when you get down to a single atom size. Right now, you can't. You can't go much smaller. But if we could, eventually you could, You might be able to make so many switches that you can make a simulation of the entire observable universe. I am not high, by the way.
Speaker 4: Well I'm not you there yet, but I have to say too, Like, I mean, this is the amount of these switches, the number or whatever that has to do with how many processes a chip can do at one time. So we're talking about evolution of chips over time. These things I think they're called threads or whatever, like within a computer processor. The higher power chips, the higher power processors can do more of this can contain more of these switches. I'm just again, I'm conjecturing. I'm pretty sure that's right, though.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent. For a long time, people were following something called Moore's law. And Moore's law is this stunning observation that the number of switches or transistors in an integrated circuit doubles or has doubled every two years. It's a stunning and precipitous of a lie. Not all of these chips are the same. We can think of rough categories. Memory chips they store data and software as binary code. Digital chips they manipulate the data based on instructions from software, and then wireless chips receive data from high frequency radio transmitters, convert those into electrical signals, and then it's back to the chips. This is all run by the language of software. All software does, even the very events stuff. It just coordinates the ways in which these different chips work together.
Speaker 4: Would that include things like RF you know, using your phone to tap on a thing to you know, pay, or like the way you're receiving or transmitting short distance kind of data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it's it's pretty much. It's actually, it's weird. It's almost easier at this point, I think to try and name electronics without these sorts of chips, because they're in everything your phone, your car, your TV remote, medical applications, military applications. Back in the day, semiconductor chip evolution moved with the cycles of PCs. So the more personal computers improved, the more sophisticated they became, the more sophisticated chips became, and then iPhones hit. iPhones were a big game changer. At this point, I think we should shout out our pal Jonathan Strickland, aka the Quister from tech Stuff. He's had one of the longest running tech podcasts in the game, and he explains this stuff in depth if you want a less conspiratorial primer.
Speaker 2: But here the smart device that means there's one some of this stuff in them, and that's literally smart anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, your.
Speaker 2: Thermostat, your washer and drfrigerator, yeah, everything, your massage chair.
Speaker 4: So the wireless chip is also again I'm sorry to be beating this in the ground, but like that's what allows you to Wi Fi, so, like you know, and so many of these smart devices have to be on a network and don't have an Ethernet port on them. So that's the kind of chip we're talking about here, probably in addition to the digital chip. Maybe not memory chip, I don't know. Memory chip is more like RAM on a computer for temporary storage of data that's actually being used in the moment.
Speaker 3: They all work together, and that's right. What's nuts about it too, is if you think about, let's blow the dust off our old taco bell analogy, from these basic ingredients, you can make a panopoly of things that appear to be very different items on the menu, right, Taco Bell is like famous for having what four to five ingredients and they'll sell you thirty things. That's kind of how chips work.
Speaker 2: But in the end, isn't it weird? And I'm not high to think that all of this, all of the information, it's just an electrical current getting taken in different directions and hitting different things at different at times. In it all micro level, it becomes out of voices in your ears. Yeah, it becomes your favorite television show on Max or whatever, like.
Speaker 3: Uh, well, the human brain is that too.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at a very simple piece of electronics right next to me. That's a monophonic synthesizer that is just signal flowing electricity that is filtered and boosted and the different things that happened to it, and it makes a sound. And that is literally a sound that we hear that is just vibrations carried on the air, you know, I mean, yes, sorry, Matt, it is mind blowing.
Speaker 3: Also, I gotta say on a soft folks, fellow conspiracy realist, and also Paul, because Paul, you're listening to along here, it might sound a little weird that we all three took a moment to say we're not high as individuals. But that's just because this stuff is so my blowing when you think about it, it's ubiquitous, it's everywhere, it's it breaks your head, right, So we know this evolution is nuts. If you are a fellow nerd of a certain generation, your first experience with semiconductors may have come in the form of pocket calculators. Remember those old Texas instruments things we all had to buy. What a monopoly, that was a grift t I.
Speaker 4: Didn't learn until pretty recently how important Texas Instruments was in the whole personal computer race. You know, there's a really great show called Halt and Catch Fire that's sort of like a fictionalized version of like the race for like the PC and the laptop and stuff, and parts of it are real. And one part of it that's real is the whole inclusion of Texas instruments. And they called it the Silicon Prairie, that area of Texas that was really big in this stuff, really really fascinating. Even before like you know, Silicon Valley became a thing, Texas was kind of like the grounds zero for a lot of this this this research and development.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we've already clocked the substance silicon coming up again and again really important. We're going somewhere with this, folks. Those those pocket calculators like you mentioned that, like the t I eighty fives and so on, eighty three fours.
Speaker 4: Eighty three on Snake, drug Wars, Drug Wars, Drug Wars. It was just a text based like choose your own adventure game, that's all it was. And you got to be a drug kingpin. And I remember it was the first time I saw the word ludes and I was like, what is what are lads? I don't know what this.
Speaker 3: I also remember the old eight eight five trick, you know it was it was boobs take that straight spare. So those things only had a few thousand transistors per chips, still very impressive for us. But now the largest ones are going to have more than fifty billion transistors pushing to the A. Jemore's laws and you know, naturally. Okay, So this is one of the most important technologies in modern civilization. Who makes them? Uh, this is where it gets interesting. They're made at these compounds called foundaries. Back in two thousand, about twenty three years ago, there was something like twenty three companies that were doing this to some degree. As of twenty twenty one, there were only three major players in the game. As as the free market dictates, they ate their own right, and there were fewer and fewer competitors. The three big the three big boys, the three chunkers in the field are Intel, you who go US, Samsung Yeah, out of Korea, and then something called Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company or TSMC. This is the Kobe Bryant of the game.
Speaker 4: By fun interesting, Yeah, but that one sort of seems to be I don't know, we'll get there if it's changed names bad. I don't know that as a household name like I do Intel. I do think it's funny too or interesting that the term foundry, like that's a really old term for like a place where you would pour metal molten steel and things and like, you know, make goods out of liquid metal, a foundry like picture where the terminator gets lowered into the lava at the end of T two spoiler alert for a twenty five year old movie.
Speaker 2: Well, Well, let's let's stays up. Let's talk about that one and the Taiwan sent me to conductor Manufacturing company. It's in Taiwan and they make what is it, it's over half of all the chips manufactured in the world, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, yeah, round about fifty four percent currently. And additionally, out of all the chips they make, and out of all the chips in the world, TSMC makes the best ones, the most sophisticated ones. When we're talking about the new ones with fifty billion switches or transistors, those are coming from Taiwan. And there are other players in the game. But at present, if this one company goes under or its operations are disrupted for any amount of time for any reason, the world as you know it, folks, is going to run into a lot of problems very very quickly. So okay, you know, diversification is good in any field, but sometimes you can't have it right. Sometimes you have to live with a reality. And if Taiwan is indeed the holy Grail or the holy font for this technology, then I guess humans have to take care of Taiwan. But that's kind of complicated because it turns out Taiwan is a little bit more than a dope archipelago of sci fi technology.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's also a very let's say important and strategic geopolitical location. How about we call it that? And I mean really think about that. We're not joking when we say most things now that you can purchase that are above bargain basement, like the lowest level version of a product, have a chip in it just as a standard. And they are making fifty four percent of those chips that go in all of the things. It's not an Internet of things. It's a world of internet things.
Speaker 3: And if you ask any geopolitics wonk, any economist, any warhawk. You know, even if you get the buttoned up alphabet boys about three drinks in and you ask them what will lead to World War three, They're going to have a short list of things, and it's going to be stuff like climate refugees. It's gonna be stuff like nuclear accountability, potable water, and Taiwan. Because if things go if things go just a little bit wrong, Taiwan is going to be a huge problem. What do we mean, We'll tell you after a word from our sponsors. Here's where it gets crazy. A war for chips. Could World War three break out over Taiwat? The answer, unfortunately is yeah, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's like a devil's bargain, right, you know, you you make all this progress, you know, surrounding this miraculous material that has a shelf life. I guess there's a finite amount of the stuff and it's not just available anywhere, and you know, you basically hang your entire existence on this substance, on this material, and then there becomes it becomes the most talking about chips. It's a bargaining chip. It becomes the most outrageous bargaining chip you could possibly imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's in. The scary part is even if you don't hear about it often, if you're not in the tech sector or the war sector, there is already a war going on. It's a cold war for now as we record, the West is throwing economic sanctions, China's throwing economic sanctions. A lot of people are making big speeches, imposturing. They're doing trade freezes that are specifically targeting the supply chain of semiconductors. Stuff that's so specific it would sound weird, like why is the US terrified that China is clamping down on things like gallium? When's the last time you were walking down the street and you thought, I wonder how Gallium's doing or Germanium and.
Speaker 4: Ben I made the comment earlier that TSMC wasn't like a household name to me, you know, and I think that's true. But this still is This is the important, you know, component of this converse is that company and the fact that they're not a household name is interesting. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: They're selling. Yeah, you're not gonna you're not going to buy their high end chips as an individual. You're going to buy stuff from companies like Apple that have bought chips from that company. They supply other businesses and governments and militaries. I mean it sounds alarmist, right, but in recent years, the idea of a chip war has become a big, big concern in the US, Like people stay awake at night worried about this because the PRC has a really fraught, cartoonishly tense relationship with Taiwan and they are super duper sensitive about it. Like even on this little podcast, this whole free podcast, if if you're not diplomatic when you talk about Taiwan, it can spell problems for you in customs in MAINSTREAMCHI, like to the point where they might let you in, like getting out becomes a conversation that you don't want to have. It's tough. I mean, like, Okay, a war could break out at any given moment over any given thing. That's just the reality. Human civilization is a house of cards. But this thing, these chips, because the world is so dependent upon them, they may be the proverbial feather on the camel's back. The war might go hot because of this resource. Dude, Like, I had no idea speaking of TSMC, I had no idea just how important they are to the nation of Taiwan. The street name for TSMC is Sacred Mountain. And it's such a big deal that if you work for this company you can apply to be exempted from military training even if there's a war going on. You can say I work for the chip company though, and they're like, oh, crap man, what are you doing here? Get back to the foundry make more chips.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it makes sense. If you're a war you gotta make war stuff, and war stuff needs to be smart. And if you don't have the chips, then you don't got the war stuff.
Speaker 3: Right, which I think is the motto of t SMC. Right, that's there, yep, that's like they're Intel bump.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: So, I guess we need to talk a little bit about this situation between China and Taiwan. Why is it so tense? Why why is it so I think it's fair to say it can seem cartoonish to outsiders.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've always had a sort of vague grasp on this, so I'm super interested in getting a little more into the details of the history there.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I'll break down just what I think I know, and then Ben you swoop in.
Speaker 3: We'll three blind mice. Because we're not Taiwanese nor Chinese and oh oh sorry, we are not Chinese, is what we should say, yep.
Speaker 2: Because the country of China, the People's Republic of China, has for a long time considered Taiwan just to be China, and with the One China policy, everything that is China is China, and that is it, end of sentence. So Taiwan is China. It is a part of China's apps, right except yeah, but the human beings that actually run Taiwan disagree with that sentiment. Is that roughly what Kina?
Speaker 3: Yeah, now that that's and that's the right way to put it. So you'll hear you'll hear it called Taiwan China, Taiwan Province of China, or Taipei China. It dates back to nineteen forty nine. There were there were two political entities with the name China. They both laid claim to the entirety of the land. The one uh the PRC, the People's Republic of China. That's usually what folks in the West mean when they say China. It's mainland China. And then on Taiwan there was the Republic of China or ROC, which is a very bad thing to say, don't you know. Don't bring that up in Beijing, even if you think you're chilling and everyone's cool at the karaoke spot. Because of that split, the PRC, like like you got, Like you said, the PRC considers Taiwan one hundred percent part of its country, the way that the US considers Hawaii one hundred percent part of the US. And like you said, a lot of people in Taiwan do not agree with that. And if if this was not a pot of real possible cause for World War III, it would be hilarious. The whole like Vonnegut Joseph Heller esque Catch twenty two ness of it every single country on the planet pretty much avoids talking about this issue. Sometimes a Western politician will show their ass a little bit and then they immediately step it back because China does not play with this. You can even see this is so weird to me. You can even see celebrities totally not politicians, totally not diplomats or anything, just celebrities, your favorite athletes and movie stars screwing up having a slight accidental misspeak and apologizing to the world for daring to refer to Taiwan as some sort of independent country or entity. We have a clip of John Cena doing it. We can play that, right, can.
Speaker 2: We play this? Is he speaking in Mandarin?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, let's play it. Who knew? Okay, we're playing at.
Speaker 5: The Clipina will be Shu shu Shanzaio will handul.
Speaker 3: So for anybody not speaking Mandarin, what John Cena is doing here, it actually not terrible. Mandarin is apologizing to the world, to the people in government of China uh for accidentally referring to Taiwan as a country. And this is not the only example of this. There are other celebrities who have done the same thing. And why is that important to play nice? With this government if you are a celebrity or public figure, well, it's because it's one of the biggest growing consumer markets on the planet. That's why your favorite film studios are jumping through their butts to get to get the Chinese government's permission to show their films. Right, that's why I like in Uh, I'm kind of alone in this, but I loved the Pacific Rim films. Remember Giant, Oh they're good giant robots. Yeah, thanks man, Yeah, I loved them. And you can really tell that they that the studios wanted the approval of the Chinese government in the second Pacific Rim film, because there's this whole thing about Charlie Day not being able to speak Mandarin but trying. There there's the insertion of this whole Chinese government subplot as like the good guys who actually saved the world. There's there's a lot of play here. And the main thing is, no matter how powerful you are as a government or as a company, or even as a billionaire, you just don't talk about the Taiwan thing. You just don't bring it up. It's like if you're at your friend's house and you see them yell at their kids. You just don't comment on it.
Speaker 2: Well, there's even been at least one UN resolution that like tried to set this in stone, or maybe China tried to set it in stone through the UN.
Speaker 3: Because they've got because China, as a result of World War Two being on the winning side, China is one of the few countries with a veto power, right, And the United Nations had this white paper that came out and they were the legal opinion that Taiwan is a province of China with absolutely no separate status, and China took that and ran with it. So our stage is set. One of the most important technologies, probably the most important technology in the modern world, is manufactured in a ticking time bomb of an island. Right, the situation in Taiwan is full stop, no caveats. It is unsustainable. It is double plus on good. It's like if all the world's important computers were made on a glacier and the glacier was melting.
Speaker 4: Ask my question though, is like, is it about their access to the material? Is it about their expertise and manufacturing the product? Like why do they have such a monopoly on it? Like why isn't it more diversified?
Speaker 3: The latter, it's it's their expertise in manufacturing the materials that are used to make this stuff that goes to Taiwan. But they don't. You're not going to see a bunch of like gallium, germanium and silicon mines on Taiwan, but they have.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's proprietary. Like so when we get advances in the chip, it's because they figured it out or what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just really really difficult to make things with that level of precision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and don't forget there are people at Intel and you know all these other places that do manufactu facture chips, just on a much smaller scale. They are also attempting to make innovations, right, both in materials and in I guess technique. Yeah, but this whole thing really does and we've talked about this before, but it really does give a perfect explanation for the country of China's practices of resource extraction, specifically in Africa, of like where the materials are coming from and where they are going.
Speaker 3: And credit where it's due. A lot of companies that are not in Taiwan, right, like companies in the Netherlands, in Japan and the US, they have the design know how. So the boffins over at Intel can design a new chip and they can have that conceptual breakthrough, but for it to be manufactured, it is overwhelmingly likely it will have to be manufactured in Taiwan. That's the choke point, and it's a choke point. It comes in a bad time. The US and China are Oh, they're not friends. They're not friends. There are two people in a crowded restaurant who are increasingly side eyeing each other, and they're making these little moves that they can't really get in trouble for yet. It's a huge technological arms race, and US companies have a big, big dilemma. They need China, they need it.
Speaker 4: But China needs the companies too. I mean, we're a big client. You know, the money is coming from these companies using their products. So it is it's you're right, it's like this kind of like mannered sort of Cold War, you know, where everyone's just sort of like, let's not rock the boat too much. We don't have to like each other, but we also have to figure out how to keep doing business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well said, it's.
Speaker 2: Kind of weird. Okay, So when I think about it, and I may be way off here. I don't have stats or anything, but it feels as though the US companies like your apples and well, I guess Samsung is not a US company, but your apples and the US markets for products being produced by those companies is has been huge historically, right, lots of that. But it's not as though it's a growing market, right, because the US has a certain number of people who are going to buy let's say, a cell phone at a certain rate, you know, every couple of years or something. You've got you know, computers and cars and all these other things, like major things, even appliances that use these chips. There's you've got to set rate pretty much with a population that is mildly growing but not enough that it's you know, gonna change the world of the number of chips you need to manufacture for them. But if you've got a well again, correct me if I'm wrong here, But it feels like the country of China with a population it has, country of like India and the population it has, and as the number of people buying new products increases in those countries, that was that's probably one of the biggest places that they're concerned about when it comes to new manufacturing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, very well. Put Matt, I would agree with that, because if you want to make money from the Western perspective, you need to be selling things in India and in China. You know, they've got this exploding middle class. There's more money to burn than there was historically, and they will they will have that jump in consumption. The US and a lot of other countries in a similar boat. Their populations are undergoing a graying out right, even with immigration, things are leveling off. The most apparent example would, of course, be the nation of Japan, right, which is going to have a lot of problems on the way. China may encounter some of those same demographic challenges as the bill of the one child policy comes due in future generations and all the femicide it led to infanticide of women. But right now China does need the US. The question is for how long will they need the US as their own domestic market grows. They have increasingly of the PRC has increasingly put in strict rules about how foreign companies can operate in their territory, and this leads to sky high rates of industrial espionage. At least if you listen to every government except for the government of China.
Speaker 4: And this isn't new, Like I may have mentioned this before, but like there's a synthesizer that I have that's made by a Japanese company called Roland, and the chips on it that are like they're notorious for going bad and you have to prepare them replace them. But the reason they go bad is because they have this kind of like coating on the top of them, like surrounding them, covering the chip part where you can actually see, you know, the shapes we're talking about, or those you know whatever, like the path or whatever. They are manufactured with those on it. Then it have to in order to repair them, you have to soak them in acetone for like a day and then it dissolves it. But the reason for that is to prevent industrial espionage, because if you have someone yeah, looking at them coming down the line, they can't take a picture of what the circuit looks like because it's covered in this kind of plasticy material. But then that also causes it to trap moisture, and over time, these chips burn out, so they're like a notoriously faulty part. And now there are companies that make kind of clone versions of them, because you know, once you have it, you can take it off and do it. But when this was a new product, they didn't want anybody to steal it from.
Speaker 3: Them, right. And I would to say before you get to this next part, I would to say the following, not just because because I want things to go smoothly and mainland customs, but because it is true, China is a font of innovation. China makes a ton of chips domestically on their own. They're just not the sophisticated chips right. Mainland China makes them. Taiwan, of course, makes the world's best chips. So there is innovation happening in China. There's scads and scats of it. But the US government in US companies in particular, feel they have uncovered a pattern, a modus operandi. They what they see is that they want to do Like let's say you're a car company and you want to start a factory in China, right because it's cheaper to manufacture some parts there. You will be required to partner with Chinese firms, will be required to hire Chinese nationals in certain key positions. And according to these critics the entire time these other companies were partnered with and these employees, they are scooping up all the secret sauce, the manufacturing techniques, the proprietary strategies, all that junk, and then when they have extracted that intellectual resource, there we go. Then done. You know, you're an empty juice box. So boom, boom, drink your milkshake, right, they drink your milkshake.
Speaker 4: Yes, So, so I'm trying to understand fully the relationship between China and Taiwan. So does China have unilateral control over Taiwan? You say that Taiwan disagrees, but is China still basically top dog or is there a dispute even in that And is that the tipping point that's on the edge of that particular dispute.
Speaker 3: It's funny, it's funny. I'm looking at Matt's face because he's going, I could read your mind a little bit, Matt. Matt's like, how are we going to handle this one? It's a great question, It's a really good question.
Speaker 2: It's just difficult to answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because if you it depends upon whom you ask, Right, if you ask some politicians in Taiwan then they will say they'll give you probably one of three answers, depending on their ideology. They'll say either one, Yes, Taiwan is one hundred percent part of China, the way Alabama is one hundred percent part of the US. Two they'll say we're going for a kind of one country or one party two systems kind of approach. So similar to how Macau and Hong Kong have cultural differences, but there's still everybody admits they're part of China. Hong Kong was British into like nineteen ninety nine, but now it's officially Chinese. Or the third one, the hot one, the one that gets those Paul Titians in trouble. They will say, we are fighting for Taiwanese independence, and the government of China looks at that like as those words, yeah, as though somebody in the government of Alabama was going, well, the Kingdom of Alabama has always been.
Speaker 4: Like secessionism basically yes, right, but to the outside perspective, especially since China isn't exactly forthcoming with this kind of information, it's sort of a black box, right, like uh yeah, yeah, okay, so I'm not alone in this confusion.
Speaker 3: Making sure dude, No, you're not alone. You are you are with We are together on this, as is the majority of the world. There's some awkward conversations at the United Nations, you know what I mean. It's on the level of trying to solve for stability in the Middle East. That's how sensitive this is. That's what I was thinking. Yeah, you're absolutely right, dude. So there was something came out recently that I think everybody should check out. It was a CNBC documentary called China's Corporate Spy War, and it's an investigation into these US allegations. I keep saying us because there are main rivals in this exploration, but making a mistake. A lot of European countries feel the same way. And of course Korea and Japan and China will never get along unless like Aliens Land, they are not going to be friends. So in China's Corporate Spywarp, this is about an FBI sting operation. Do you hear about this one? This surprised me.
Speaker 2: I don't know anything about this, but we can give you, I guess a quote on a write up of this. Ben I think that's what we're looking at right. This is CNBC talking about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's about a Chinese Ministry of State Security officer named Shu yan Jun who turned out to be a spy. And he wasn't spying on the US government. He was spying on US companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and important companies with important technology like ge, Boeing and Honeywell, here.
Speaker 4: Comes the quote. In twenty seventeen, Shoe yan Jun pursued an engineer at GE Aviation who had valuable knowledge of the company's jet engine composite fan blade technology. Closing as an academic official and using a fake name, Shoe was introduced to the GE engineer, who was visiting Nanjing, China, to give a speech at a prestigious university. Shue began a pressure campaign to get the engineer, who had family in China, to reveal more and more information about the engine tech the Chinese government had targeted.
Speaker 3: Hey, it's me, your friend Johnny last named blue jeans.
Speaker 4: Hello, fellow kids, it is I tell me of your skateboard tricks.
Speaker 3: Really tell you about the engine technology. That's a shame, because I can tell you your grandmother's home address.
Speaker 4: That's right, be a shame if something happened to me me.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a snoozefecter. You're talking about like composite fan blades, technology and all this stuff, But it harkens back to one of my favorite songs. Do you guys remember down roaddeo from Rage Against the Machine? Yes, well, yeah, I guess we'll give you a small quote from one of the verses here if I'm gonna quote it correctly, let's see. Let's okay, I found it here. It's a thousand years they had the tools, we should be taking them. F the g ride. I want the machines that are making them right. So that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 4: That lyric that's good, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But that's exactly what we're talking about. But China is attempting to get the sees, the means of production right, the keys to production up.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and I love I love a good, I love a good Rage Against the Machine.
Speaker 4: That is one of the bands of that era. I guess that you would call rap rock or whatever that actually holds up because they were truly hip hop, like truly you know, Zach de la Rocha, incredible lyricist, Tom Morello, absolutely fabulous guitarist, and so many of those other bands that kind of came after them boo. But Rage holds up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Rage holds up. They gotta they've got a great joint with Run the Jewels. Zach Del is on that. Anyway, they're not gonna send us camping like they did my Man for Hampton. Oh, Rage is so good anyway, Yes, that and that's that's such astute point, Matt. That's a beautiful point, because the idea is about empowerment. Right. Well, let's let's get to the Chinese perspective in just a second. In the case of this documentary, here's what the FBI did. The FBI alerted General Electric and they said, you know, you're compromised. There's a fox in the henhouse, right, there's a fly in the ointment. And so they had this really weird meeting and I think it was Cincinnati with the engineer and they confronted him and they offered him the age old classic choice. They said, you can face the legal consequences of breaking numerous laws, or you can keep doing what you're doing and just work for.
Speaker 2: Us, which I guess just needs a choice. Alert the FBI of what information you're sharing and what instructions you're getting, like that's literally it.
Speaker 3: And then the and then in turn, the FBI will The way that you nail that, the way this stuff works is you will report upon your activities, so you give visibility right into what the enemy forces are asking for, what they're prioritizing, compositive fan blades, et cetera. And then as it gets a little more complicated, as you get a little more switch in your chips of subterfuge, then you'll start feeding them fake information. And the FBI, I'll give you, will give you either, they'll give you. Okay, I don't want to go too deep into this, but this is kind of interesting. It's similar to how Hollywood studios will control for script leaks. They'll they'll give crew and cast different copies of a script with maybe certain lines tweaked or changed, certain watermarking things Marvel does this, or the mouse does this, and so they'll keep a record of that, and then if any of it pops up in the wild, they'll know exactly how to trace sort of the chain of custody, very very smart.
Speaker 2: Then they'll waterboard those jokers.
Speaker 4: We know you leaked the script.
Speaker 3: Tell us what you know.
Speaker 2: Take the water.
Speaker 3: Perfect perfect and if you get that reference right in, because it'll make our it'll make our evening.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 3: No, surely not. They're bigger, mister Fry if we look at the Chinese perspective. Just to be fair, the government of China has replied to this in various ways, specifically to this case we mentioned from twenty seventeen and to the idea of intellectual espionage in general, and they say it's pretty much cenophobic bullet. Their embassy said quote, the Chinese government has never participated in or supported anyone in any form in stealing commercial secrets. Some people and institutions in the US have been making false accusations. We asked the US side to handle the case without bias and in accordance with the law and protect the lawful rights and interests of Chinese citizens. Okay, totally sounds good, sounds like real disclosure.
Speaker 4: I did not know the words cenophobic until.
Speaker 3: Just now, not xenophobic, which.
Speaker 4: Is a cenophobic.
Speaker 2: Yeah is new.
Speaker 4: This is new to me. Yes, means obviously anti Chinese sentiments or but more bigger than that, like you know, on some kind of level of racism, right, Like I mean, it's the idea of like being anti Semitic Chinese.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the right idea.
Speaker 2: All right, guys, let's take a quick break here, word from our sponsor and come back with I guess more of the US perspective on this whole situation.
Speaker 3: USA, USA broud to be all right. So the US perspective is this, Washington has two big concerns. First, they are terrified that the Chinese government will catch up to the US military or surpass it in key aspects, and thanks to what's called asymmetrical warfare, that is a valid concern. And secondly, they're very worried about some insult to injury. They think that they think that China may leverage US technology to do that. So crib the secrets, steal the research, and then you're starting on third base for the next innovation. Right, you can do what's called technological leap frogging. And that's because President Jijinping said, look, China needs to be a world class military by twenty forty nine. They're well on the way. A big part of that push involves the whoop. Sorry, I've got a lamp on a really JANKI hotel lamp. I've got lamps on lamps. Keep that part in all right, Sorry, we're on the road. But okay, so a big part of them push involves developing a ton of miss weapons, hypersonic missiles, using machine learning or you know, quote unquote AI for all sorts of stuff, including cyber warfare and so on. For those of us playing along at home to Matt's earlier point, de Noel's earlier point, what do all of those things need? Chip chips, delicious chips, the chips. They need the chips, and China can't make the most advanced ones. Yet outside of Taiwan, no one can really make these super advanced semiconductors. So China has to play the international trade game. The US has to play the international trade game, and they have to make nice. It's part of the reason they don't talk too much trash about Taiwan and China, because if they do, and if China decides to shut down the flow of the semiconductor's spice milange, then it is just it's going to be a storm. I know I'm cursing a lot in this one, but we can't overemphasize that. And the US wants to block all the other stuff. China needs to make a pitchiffan yes, perfect when the chip hits the fan. The Biden administration, current US President Joe Biden. In October of last year, they put in they ratcheted up the trade war, and they said, look, we're not going to allow you to buy stuff with US origins. If you are a US based business, if you want to do business in the US, then you can't sell China certain things. And they went to the Netherlands, they went to Japan. Both countries have some pretty pretty mission critical like manufacturing processes that are part of the semiconductor supply chain. And they got Japan and the Netherlands to agree. China is pretty pissed. They're pretty pissed about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. President she in particular as accused the United States of waging a Cold War style series of containment strategies, right, And he's not wrong, you know, But that's also that it's one of the tools in the in the tool belt, right. I mean, something has to be done, wouldn't he say, Ben, I mean, this isn't an outright aggressive move. This is something that's like thinking ahead and trying to keep things from just ballooning out of control with this relationship, right, sort of like drawing a line in the sand. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, it's so weird to me because it's coming on the tales of news you've probably read about specifically about the US if you're in the US, about specific Chinese companies. We're not allowed to do business with any anymore. We're not allowed to have their software on our hardware, talk to anyone. We're not allowed to use their hardware to access you know, any networks. I mean, it's again, these are like but it's almost like soft rules that are coming forward or bands. And it's very strange because the same thing is happening on the other side, right, m hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's an escalating tit for tat. People are increasing or sorry, these governments are increasingly trying to shut down points of access for everything you need to make chips and earlier this year, in response to US actions, China said, look, Raitheon, lockeed Martin, they're US companies, so TUPAC style, they said, you and anyone who rides with you, so right.
Speaker 4: Doesn't if Raitheons sound like a Star Wars monster, I mean it really always.
Speaker 3: Hey, we talked about it too, like defense industries, those companies have a weird habit of picking kind of agro names.
Speaker 4: I know it's true, wouldn't you say that at this point, like our governments, you know, between China and America and in the US, are like pretty openly distrustful and suspicious of one another. I mean, it's it's it's gotten to the point where they're barely even trying to hide it anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well also, I mean that's why it's important to understand both perspectives, because they're raising valid points, even though they're both intensely nationalistic. It's their job. If you're a politician for a country, you need you're trying to rep your country's interest if you're doing if you're doing your job correctly. However, one of the issues is that China as a culture has a very long memory the West has committed atrocities in China. The Opium Wars were entirely to force the people of China into becoming a nation of drug addicts. That's something that you know, if you if you're in the Chinese government, you're not going to forget that, and you should not. So, of course they don't trust each other. For a lot of these folks, the Cold War never ended. It's very much a zero sum game. And the Chinese Ministry of Commerce to that point about resource extraction. They just clamped down on gallium and germanium, these two elements that you need to make computer chips, fiber optics, solar cells, et cetera. Right now, both sides are still having diplomatic talks. Janet Yellen went over there. As a matter of fact, Henry Kissinger went over to China in a surprise visit and he kind of punked US politician John Kerry when he did it.
Speaker 4: Janet's always yelling she needs a pipe down, and just joking. That was a dad joke. That was a dad joke. I liked it. That's cringing with his hand in his head and just like shaking it.
Speaker 3: Matt's hoping his computer doesn't explodecerned. So here's why this is such a big, big problem. When push comes to shove, as diplomatic avenues get exhausted, two of the world's most powerful militaries make no mistake, they will go hot for these chips if it's seen as a necessity, and they do have the capability to rain fire. It's not a good situation. And that's why war nerds on either side are already mapping it out. We don't have to get it. We're running a little long. We don't have to get into this war game. But if you have time, and if you're interested, check out check out some work by a US think tank called Center for New American Security. There's a great New York Times article about it from last year. And they imagined this. They said, Okay, what if three Taiwanese semiconductor foundries, not all of them, three of them, What if they just failed? What would happen? How would the world react? First, everything would go sideways. Secondly, the West would assume that there was some kind of cyber warfare, possibly from China. This would ramp up tensions and there would be an international crisis as both countries attempt to secure their continued supply of chips and get control over over Taiwan, real physical control. And what they found. Don't let game fool you. These are world class experts. What they found was outside of straight up military intervention, the US couldn't do much on its own. It's years away from making chips anywhere near the level of Taiwan. To your point, nol earlier, it might be impossible for them to catch up at this juncture. And one line that really stuck out to us about this is, again, these are the world experts on this whole proper. They said, the US is more dependent on semiconductors now than it was on oil from the Middle East during the height of the fossil fuel glory days.
Speaker 4: And you know, given what we were talking about too earlier, in terms of how quickly this you know, on the time, on a timeline, compared to oil, our reliance on this stuff is very is a blip, right, So that's why it's just not being talked about in the same way we all understand about our dependence on oil. Everybody understands that's its own thing, because it's historically just a longer timeline, and this has been an issue. It feels to me like your average person on the street has no idea.
Speaker 3: What's brewing here. Mm agreed. I mean, and before you know, you can we can dismiss this as alarmist, right, we can say, oh, people are doing performative political theater because they want more money for their think tank or their research or what have you. But before we dismiss this as talk, let's all collectively remember what Uncle Sam did the last time people threatened oil supplies. This is no different. It's just a little bit more of a complicated supply chain and hopefully that'll change right now. You know, you can logically ask at the end of this why hasn't Taiwan been the subject of an incursion, right of a real hot war invasion takeover? Look at me, I own the foundry now kind of situation. It's because of what's called the silicon shield theory. This industry is so important to Chinese manufacturers and so important to US consumers that no one wants to tip the boat just yet. Like imagine being stuck in an elevator. It's your only way out of the building and you're there with someone you absolutely hate.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is kind of a non sequitor, but I'm just thinking about this episode overall. We love when I'm looking at the structure, like what we just talked about. Do you guys remember the Immortal Technique song Peruvian Cocaine?
Speaker 3: Yes, great posse track.
Speaker 4: Okay, so I don't know his work very well.
Speaker 2: Well, No, it is an amazing track that literally tracks where cocaine originates in like in this case in Peru, and then how it travels on its way to the United States, what entities. Yeah, but it tells that story with different characters who are in that supply chain as it makes its way through, and it culminates with you know, somebody on the street who's selling it and who ends up, you know, getting a long prison sentence for selling cocaine on.
Speaker 3: The streets, probably scared, not prepared to do years like Javier Yeah yeah, yeah, Okay, So we need.
Speaker 2: What does a call out directly to you, Immortal or Felipe. We need more of that style song like explainers of things like that for just everything. What we need. It's like, let's start printing proving Cocaine as a as a song type on different topics like this one.
Speaker 3: And sugar and chocolate everything. Yeah, yeah, yeah, everything. That's that's a great idea. And now, of course immortal technique may not be for everyone. But even if you don't consider yourself a fan of hip hop, even if you consider yourself even if you have some differences ideologically from that artist is a very very talented, very very smart individual, and Proving Cocaine in particular is a song that is worth your time. It just slaps.
Speaker 4: You might also know Jack White you know, the singer for the White Stripes, and he owns a record company, he owns record pressing plants, and he named his solo tour the supply Chain Tour because it took place kind of like when there was all these issues with record pressing plants being overwhelmed because of like artists like Adele that were, you know, basically using up all of their bandwidth to print their you know, massive, you know, huge selling records. Because vinyl has become a really popular medium now much much. I think it's the highest selling physical medium of any anything. CDs are basically non existent anymore. But that's a supply chain too, And it used to be that, like the plants that made vinyl records were all these old legacy plants, and only just now have we started having smaller companies build new record pressing plants, and that's sort of helping to take the pressure off of these legacy ones. But even still they can't build them fast enough. And I'm I'm only using this as a as a parallel to a much less you know, critical with If we don't get our viral records, that's sad. I would make me sad, but it's not going to cause a war. But these things, the supply chain things are are very.
Speaker 2: Real, similar things happening with helium. If we were going to talk about superconductors today, which we deny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the helium shortage, though, is very real thing. You should think about that every time you go in a grocery store and you see those birthday balloons. One day they might be something you talk about and later generations say, you're full of it. Why Why would someone waste helium in a recreational balloon? The issue is with the semiconductor shortages. The issue is also it's very, very very expensive to try to build new foundries, not even the top notch ones, just foundries that can make you know, pocket calculator chips. It's incredible, prohibitively expensive. It may lead to a war. We'll have to see how long the silicon shield theory holds. We'll have to hope that the US and China can navigate a peaceful way out of this conundrum.
Speaker 2: And of course.
Speaker 3: War and instability. Statistically speaking, at this point they are on the horizon. It's due to a number of factors. Destabilizing governments, rise of fascism and inequality, climate refugees, food crisis, water crisis. But semiconductor chips, those tiny, tiny things may well be the spark that sets the whole sets the whole party going. We can only hope that's not the case. We want to hear your thoughts. Going to try to bring up the intonation at the end to sound a little more positive. Big big thanks to Semiconductors for making this show possible, and big big thanks to you for tuning in. Yeah, folks, would what do you think? Do you think this conflict would ever go hot? It seems like it be super terrible for the majority of the world. But as the old quote goes, when elephants wage war, it is the grass that suffers. We can't wait to hear from you. We try to be easy to find online as long as our little transistors keep transisting.
Speaker 4: Ah, the little transistor that could. You can find us in a myriad of places on the social network platform formerly known as Twitter, on YouTube and on Facebook at the handle Conspiracy Stuff, on TikTok and Instagram where Conspiracy Stuff show Hey.
Speaker 2: You can also call us. Our number is one eight to three three st d WYTK. It's a voicemail system. You give yourself a cool nickname. You say whatever you want for three minutes. Just do include if we can use your name and voice on one of our listener mail episodes. If you've got or net Yeah.
Speaker 3: That quick energe. Actually though, I think some of our fellow listeners might enjoy this.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: We're big fans of the phone line and I can't wait to hear the special voicemail voicemail edition that you you annulted. Also confession sometimes I call the phone line myself.
Speaker 2: Really all right, I'm gonna sift through. I've got more to do today on that. Oh man, Ben, it's just brought. Why did that bring? I was listening to way too much moral technique? So it was Revolutionary volume two and it's Point of No Return that has some of the most just the best lyrics I've ever heard in my life, Like so so good. And for a conspiracy show that we make, like those lyrics, you're just like, oh wait, what did they find underneath the table of Solomon?
Speaker 5: Wait?
Speaker 3: What what? Alexa? The name is doucle Wincident.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly, Oh yeah, okay, anyway, yes, I'm gonna check for you on the phone lines as well as everybody else. And uh yeah. If you don't want to do that stuff, why not instead send us a good old fashioned email. We read everything that we receive.
Speaker 3: We are conspiracy at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff they don't want you to know. Is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.