Speaker 1: Today versus All Right, we're doing it again. We are going to be quizzing Alexis today to see how much she know. It's really about eighties and nineties pop culture.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know the stuff that I lived, the stuff I feel like I need to start studying for this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you missed last week's gen Z Versus Classic movie, you can go see it right now. She reviewed Billy Madison, and I think Alexis could go back to school.
Speaker 2: That's for sure. Yeah, I'm not going to see you wrong. I don't fight clubs. Yeah, I don't think she can handle a whole class. All right, here we go. First question, Alexis, are you ready? Yes? All right?
Speaker 1: Thirty years ago Asa Base wowed the world with this earworm.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you know a song.
Speaker 2: Do you remember when this came out? I don't ready. Yes, I know every word of the song, and I didn't try to It was literally nineteen ninety three. Oh really, thirty years yeah, crazy everywhere. And it wasn't their only hit that year.
Speaker 1: Okay, they had a second hit, another song called All That She Wants.
Speaker 2: That's right, remember that song? Okay, that was going to be the question.
Speaker 1: No, Alexis, can you tell me what she actually wanted in the song?
Speaker 2: Was it a I know it now a beach vacation?
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 2: Was it be another baby?
Speaker 1: Or see a shot at tequila?
Speaker 2: Wow? Not the baby? Have you ever heard the song? All that?
Speaker 3: She I'd have to like once we play the clip, I'll probably hear, but off the top of my head, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Like, you can't sing it to yourself right now.
Speaker 2: She wants, and then it continues, I can't. I'm thinking that one. It's like I want to, I want to, I want to.
Speaker 3: Know what I want to.
Speaker 2: Balance, But this is nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 3: I mean, a shot at tequila just seems simple. You could sing so many reasons why you want another shot at tequila.
Speaker 2: There's a things in life that would push me. I mean not really, not even push me.
Speaker 3: I get one now, but like.
Speaker 2: To a whole song about why you need tequila? The baby. I don't know. That's just I can't imagine people all singing along.
Speaker 3: About everywhere or like at the club, that they want another baby.
Speaker 2: Beach vacation. Yea beach vacation. I like it, but I like tequila morrise, I'm going that.
Speaker 5: Way, so sorry, play the song.
Speaker 4: To Honestly, she's referring to baby as in like her man her baby.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's like another bo.
Speaker 2: Exactly. That makes way? What is this song?
Speaker 3: Alight?
Speaker 1: Not one right yet, But we're on to the next question. The show Rose starring Roseanne Barr and John Goodman.
Speaker 2: Huge hit in the early nineties. I mean, we watched it every week, watched it.
Speaker 1: I mean that crocheted blanket on the back of the couch is iconic, right, But one of the most controversial of the entire two hundred and twenty two episodes was hands down, all because of something Roseanne's character did.
Speaker 2: I mean, ABC threatened not to air it, right.
Speaker 1: Reports were coming out that the network was gonna lose a million dollars in AD revenue. Wow, And it had been done on TV before. Can you tell me what Roseanne did in the show? I'm gonna give you multiple choice again, perfect Yes. Was it a kiss another woman? Was it b smoke marijuana?
Speaker 2: Oh wow? Or was it c participate in a protest to free the nipple?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Can't see the girl. I feel like I could see people like drowing a fit about that back then, you know, because we I think yeah.
Speaker 2: But then also, wasn't there that seventy show back then? Is that ninety? Oh that was two thousands, So I'm like that's.
Speaker 3: Like, oh wow, I mean you're basically high at all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's what the seventies were.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean Days and Confused was out, like movies were out, but it wasn't. Network television vision was different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like enough that it would lose you that much money to smoke weed. I mean maybe I'm I'm gonna stick with kiss a girl, Kiss the girl, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is right. In the episode. We can actually even play the audio just kissing sounds.
Speaker 1: Ye, Rosie and her friend Sharon go to a gay bar and then this happens.
Speaker 2: Got to hang out more off.
Speaker 5: I was thinking that too, But next time, let's save.
Speaker 6: The wives at home read my mind and over.
Speaker 2: And that's it.
Speaker 6: That's it.
Speaker 1: Was actually the only the third lesbian kiss on network television.
Speaker 2: The first one was in nineteen ninety one on La Law, which I didn't know. I had to look it up.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's interesting. I like that there was like no text to that, though you could have said it was for the nipple.
Speaker 5: Still play that at the table.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good point anyway.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that was all right.
Speaker 2: The last question, you got one right, one wrong.
Speaker 1: Fifty three movies in the history of film have made one billion dollars or more. Wow, fifty three and of course recently that's Barbie right. But we're going to go back to one film that made over a billion dollars, and that is Jurassic Park, the original, also from nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 2: Okay, good year. It was solid year movies and when it came out everyone was like amaze.
Speaker 1: Ethographics, the technology, the animatronics, like Spielberg, like blue people's mind.
Speaker 2: I remember seeing this in the movie theater and being like.
Speaker 1: Really, so alexis, please make your best t Rex roar sound effect?
Speaker 2: Oh god, Okay, that's the question.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: I just think a noise. Okay, let me think. Okay, I'm just kidding. That's not the question. That's not the question.
Speaker 1: Okay, Your question is what sounds did the sound designers combine to create the infamous t Rex roar. And I'm even gonna let you hear the audio. Okay, so listen to the audio here it is. Okay, what was it? A A vacuum cleaner, A bear and a frog. Was it b a baby elephant, a tiger, and an alligator, or was it see a car crash, a hairdryer and a baby screaming?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 1: I'll pass the uh pass the options over to you so you can see them, and let's hear that one more time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the first time I heard it, I thought it was a baby when you first played it.
Speaker 2: But this feels like such a radio game to play.
Speaker 3: I guess the sound, yeah, alligator, I don't know if I hear an alligator.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I hear that, but the elephant. Yes, Oh gosh, car crash. I mean, how many times would you have to do that to make the sound?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It seems like you're the one in this room that you know what it sounds like that.
Speaker 3: It does give me PTSD and I was not triggered during this class. I count that one out.
Speaker 2: The frog just like a little like, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not gonna do more animal noises in the mind, and I'm like, I can't do that. I'm gonna go vacuum cleaner, bear, frog.
Speaker 2: And that is that is actually slowed down a baby elephant, a tiger, and an alligator.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And then as I'm looking this stuff up, you know, they always have other facts. Apparently palaeontologists don't even think t rexes roar that they just make chirps and warbles.
Speaker 5: Let's t rex again, all right, that is today versus back in the day.
Speaker 2: Thanks for spending your weekend with us. We so appreciate it. Please, if you have time, you can subscribe. That'd be read the option subscribe now.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's Brock and Jeffrey in the morning.