Speaker 1: Mute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to SOFTWAB Radio Special Operations, Military Models. I'm straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on. Welcome to another episode of soft Rep Radio. I am your host rad Before I introduced my next guest who took us two days to get together. See today's the thirty first of July and for him it's the first of August. But I'll get into that just in the second. We have a book club at soft Rep and at soft rep dot com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. Go check it out. We have a lot of authors, a lot of people who've written books that we have in that collection and we want to share that with you. So check out the book club and also the merch store. If I didn't say it, I would be doing myself at the service. The gas fireplace stays on because of the merch store. You hear me say it all the time. So thank you for buying those little trinkets and things of us. We appreciate it. And thanks to Brandon Webb. As always, go check out Cold Fear. Blind Fear just came out from Brandon Webb. So make sure you go check out that from John David Mann and Brandon Webb Blind Fear, brand new out on the bookshelves at your favorite local bookstore. Now, without any further ado, today's guest is none other than Damian Porter, former SAS Special Air Service I believe out of New Zealand. He's gonna correct me, and I'm going to guess he's D Squadron, but I'm not gonna say twenty two. What are you welcome?
Speaker 3: Hey man, Red, thank you so much here, dude, New Zealand. So yes, at the time, it was first New Zealand Special Ada Service Group. I was a commando and Dace Gordon at the time. Actually unit was formed in two thousand and five. It was cool to town count a Terrorists Technical Assault Group, and then it moved on to being renamed as commandos. And we can talk about the distinction there between SAS Spash Green Roll operators and commando operators, two different sort of things. Now D Squadron and yeah, man, all the way from New Zealand, and you know, our heritage literally goes back with two two, back to their random embassy siege and all the black role stuff. My role was.
Speaker 2: Just just like with the no Gloves right, No gloves right? Is that the no gloves right? The Iran siege and the no Gloves right? What's his name? Hold on? I know it. I try to get him on the show. But I do have a friend from twenty two, but he's out of England. Is that as you guys work together? If you guys were twenty did you know Phil Campion?
Speaker 3: So I've been trying to get Phill on the show. Nice guy, Oh, no kid, Yeah, straight up. He's got such an amazing story. So New Zealand, Australia and British especially a service you know literally what Delta was based on. On Towo too. We all collaborate. We had a guy from two to come over and some training sides with us for about two or three months, and he went on to the A squad and at the time the badjesas operators. Yeah, it's great to collaborate. The things he told me, I can't tell him. There's still there's still a secret for the listeners will call it confidential, but the classic that actual briefing was secret. But the things he told us about how you take done jumbo jets, which I don't even know if they're inn operation anymore. Was brilliant those guys, the leaders in hostage rescue.
Speaker 2: Absolutely phenomenal counter terrorist hostage rescue going after it. Oh man boy, yeah says right, just that right there, that special Air Service. And not only that, it's not just like in the UK and in England, it's in New Zealand and Australia. They're commonwealths right exactly.
Speaker 3: You know where we still call ourselves the Queen's Killers now as the King's Killers. And I've been out for a long time. If I left the unit in two thousand and nine, but you know, I was just reading. I was reading a book, Eric Miari's sent me a Killer Elite and it's the only book written on his unit. And the prefaces on the Delta. In the raining Tehran hostage rescue debacle, Charlie Beckworth went to TO two on exchange and then come back from that created Delta Force concurrently sas a two to sas officer and sergeant went to America and they schooled those guys in hostage rescue and they are the world leaders that they're phenomenal, and you know, we the poor cousins, but we do the best recount what we got. Where we are in New Zealand is well known for making doing making things pretty good.
Speaker 2: What colors your beret? What color do you wear?
Speaker 3: Is it to So we were the Sandy barre or tan if you'd call it in America Sandy biret. My my squadron unit was formed, not the unit. So the squadron was formed in two thousand and five and we were a Trinity badge or gently made by my good friend Handsome Rob.
Speaker 2: He invented that. It's the silver ferns.
Speaker 3: I'm wearing the all black silver fern now, but two silver ferns and that's got the commando dagger and also a crossed tai Hars which are a Maldi indigenous population in New Zealand, a Maldi wooden spear. And it's called the tri Service emblem because it's Air Force, Navy Army, which of course we recruit from in New Zealand, especially a service, and we had to had to make a badge. We resort of invented ourselves as we were formed in two thousand and five. Our squadron was formed red because around that time all the top operators in the world as well as New Zealand SS were leaving and going and making all the gold in Iraq. They're making all the money private contracting that man went down so much they started to lose enough people to man the team and those people that are military minded. For software here, you've got to have a certain amount of number on the team for account of terrace and hostage rescue role. They had to form us and they trained us on black role only. We did that. So with the guys in Blake coming the helicopter's blowing the charges on the door and doing their.
Speaker 2: Job, the guy's in black. Yeah. There's a video game specifically my friend Matt Hellier, he's also former SAS out of England. Matt Hellier. I sitting there having lunch with him in England one day and I was like, you know, my favorite character in the video game counter Strike is the counter terrorist in the full SAS load out with the gas mask and the n P five And he's like he sits down, We're sitting there having something to eat and he scrolls on his phone. He's like like this and he shows me this picture and it's him. I was like, oh, you're my favorite. Oh that's my favorite, you know. So it's really cool to know that you guys are the guys, the good guys in black are coming in. I'm glad you're on my side.
Speaker 3: Dude, I got to tell you, Okay, quick story. My boy here, I got a old boy he was playing out. He got the NERF guns out. He loaded them all up the other day. And the rule is you's got to wear goggles. He's got NERF goggles. And he said, I said, do you want a battle? He goes, oh, you go giving up NERF goggles. So I went and got my s mask. We're playing new fedtles through the house. That's like what we do here. We do airsoft war games of the same sort. We have these airsoft replica guns that shoot plastic Bbie projectiles on semi or full auto. Everything you can think of, MP five, P five k, MP five A five, everything railed out, any HK M four, M sixteen. They all make that replica of it, right, and that's something very cool. There's very many loadouts that are based off of sas. There's British DPM that has been you know, the load out of airsofters.
Speaker 2: Worldwide, right, worldwide. People want to look like SAS. Why because you're bad ass? Bro?
Speaker 3: They started it. Man. You know, I'm literally I got out a car from school drop off and I'm listening to an audio book and it's by Damien Lewis, a very famous author for special forces, specially British special Forces called Rogue. Forgotten the exact name, but it's the book that the series Rogue Heroes is based on. And it's the start of special Forces in this modern world. And there was the start of the British SAS and the Long Range Desert Group. Yeah, you've got to look at the history.
Speaker 2: The rats, desert Rats, maybe the desert Rat.
Speaker 3: His name, the desert Rat was a nickname for Petty Maine for one one operator Petty Maine. Now Petty is a slang nickname for an irishman, but his name is blear. Petty. Wayne went on to become a captain or posse major eventually, but he was one of the originators of the s S and he was called the Desert Rat, and that's where the Desert Rats sort of nickname came from.
Speaker 2: Off of his branches. He's he's the culprit of the desert Rat, exactly right. I love that. I love it. We'll give him a shout out here and handsome rob. Of course we're creating an awesome you know flash for your ball. Yeah, which is different than the big fills. I think Big Phil has like wings with an arrow yep, so not like.
Speaker 3: A the wing the winged dagger, and that was what David Stirling, the creative the British SS invented. He he wrote, he drew that up and that's yeah, it's a different badge. So that's our parent unit was New Zealand ESAs Group which has the wing to dag it and both British and New Zealand have the same coloring. Australian SAS has a gold one. There's some reasoning behind that. I won't go into that too much in case I make a mistake. But because we weren't SAS operators which are the full long range reconnaissance DAS, directection missions all those things. Because we only did that specialized role, we had our own role and we had our own own badge that we all operators from.
Speaker 2: The weird that. Now. Now you said you got out of the military right quote unquote in two thousand and nine, but you still look like you got some guns on your arms there and if I didn't mention it before, you're the how not to Die guy? Okay, so you know it's Demian Porter, the How not to Die guy seems to still be alive with advice on how not to die. So we sh listen to him because he's done probably a lot of fast ropes, a lot of fast missions, a lot of things where he could have tripped and fell, let alone get shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really named it, man, you knowed it? And gosh, gosh, read you've just reminded me. I was over here in Perth in two thousand and eighteen. I read that one of our operators, coming out of a duel mission with US Special Forces, fast rapping onto our simulation building. He fell off the top three stories up and died. Like see, that's this is a dangerous world. Now, I'll digress slightly. For most people in the world, driving their car is the most dangerous thing they will ever do. And I don't say that lightly. It is a dangerous thing. As a firefighter. I'm a firefighter now, I go to a lot of crashes, but that's probably the most dangerous thing you ever do. I interviewed Greg pup Johnson, a New Zealand sas operator worked along, worked in the same unit with him, and everything we do, every choice we make day to day training is life or death. Do I pull the trigger?
Speaker 2: Yes? No?
Speaker 3: Do I hang on to this a certain way. It's all life and death questions and answers that you ask of yourself. And I went on to become how not a diegode because, like GBRS group says, I love doing that knowledge transfer. I love passing on my knowledge and experience, my special forces and policing which I went into to allow other people to not go through that. You know, if I can teach a housewife to lock her car door and look around a little bit when she's parked at a red light and she doesn't get carjacked, brilliant. I don't want her to have to go hands on and chop throats and garge eys. I want people not to get hurt from using my knowledge and experience and helping them out. And so many of us out there are doing that. I think paying it forward, and it's something that we should do.
Speaker 2: No it is, and it's driving is dangerous here in Utah on our freeway system here, people going eighty five miles an hour. The kilometers escape me. It's probably like up to two hundred kilometers, right, it's super one hundred and sixty kilometers. You know it's up. They're just swerving it out. And then you got the guys on the bullet bikes. And I know everybody loves the motorcycle. Are good, fast, crotch rocket, But where's your helmet? You know what I'm saying, like, what do you think? And you know you did you read the man?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, before you drove it? Did you get the license before you bought it? Did you just get on it out of pure adrenaline and excitement? And you know now you're nineteen years old and you're just driving it so fast.
Speaker 3: Now it's their bullets. You know they're dangerous things, and gosh, you've got to be clever. I mean, I love what Pet Max is, Pet McNamara a delta force, going to earn a friend? Now, you know you're the be your own executive prediction and then be executive protection for the people in your car. You know that driving is a responsibility for me. Locking the hat of a night is a responsibility for me for the people I love, and that I take care of and even more importantly for yourself. But a lot of us really don't look after ourselves, which I try and give that nice information in what I do you know, lock your door, here's how to use your phone, here's how to look around all these little safe, simple things that are not scary, and to look after yourself, a little situational awareness of our own selves.
Speaker 2: You know, protecting ourselves helps protect those around us. Right, so absolutely out of it. Now, let me ask you some Okay, let's say you got somebody who knows some skills and they are just writing home on a subway, and somebody's on that subway and that person knows his skill set and he probably shouldn't even get involved in anything, right, just keep to himself. But somebody gets involved and maybe goes into like a real naked chokehol oh wow that they were taught and then yeah, yeah, so this this is kind of like a story that happened here in New York recently where former military person who had skills, some dude somebody who was freaking out on the train want somebody eat and screaming and bantering. When do you not get involved? When do you get involved? What's your thoughts. I've always been tight. Just get off the ax. You know, if there's a situation, can you get away from it?
Speaker 3: Yep. I did a video on this because of the Oh. Actually, I'm writing the article for Softwap off the back of the video for the Auckland active shooter last week, and I was stunned at there. So look, and I said a joke in that video black him. A joke. There's a famous story about two guys in the African savannah and then a line pops out and he starts running them down. And the first guy reaches down and starts to tire his running shoes up really tight, and the other guy looks down at him says, what are you doing. You can't outrun that tiger. And the guy I said the line, and the guy says, mate, I don't have to run the line, I just have to outrun you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, yes, you should get off the X. You should just run out of building. You should just get away from that guy in the subway that the guy's freaking out and mentally ill and or on drugs. That's protecting yourself. Yes, however, and this is the issue rad anybody that's been in the military of any kind. We were brainwashed to turn towards danger and not to run away. And I say brainwashed, and I use it in an aggressive way. I suggest, because that's so different than everybody else. Anybody else will run away, turn their back. We turned towards danger. So we have trained in US and some people had it before they went into the military. We have an obligation to help others. The sergeant major the Army of the New Zealand Army, sorry, I'm Widim Moffatt, who I interviewed, and it was actually my assault sergeant in New Zealand sees his job is to help others. It's a quote from him and I couldn't believe it. I thought, that's such a great thing to say the top soldier in the army. So going back to your executive example, do we get off the X year. Absolutely, if you can live with that afterwards. If you've got some skills and you walk away, sure thing. However, when you do decide to use those skills, you have to be able to upgrade and downgrade. So he may be choking him and then he pulls out a knife and you may break his neck. That's upgrading you may be choking him and he's compliant, and you may actually roll him over into it something else. I don't know these things. I'm not a jiu jitsu guy. I'm a close combat guy. Teach. I teach World War two combatives modernized. But you may have to upgrade and downgrade these things. And this is the issue that marine I believe he was. He held him for about ten minutes. He wasn't choking him, held him for a long time. He had him in took control and restraint, perhaps like a police officer did. Because a New Zealand soldier's role is to kill or capture the enemy, that's their role. A police officer's job is to protect life and property. That's a West Australian police officer. I can't even speak from my experience that sounds right. When we're in a situation as police, you're either going to protect yourself so self defense, protect others, or you're just trying to put the guy in cuffs, which is not trying to kill them. So you've got to be able to upgrade and downgrade what you're doing depending on the situation. And unfortunately read those situations change like that. I'll give you one example of upgrading downgrading. And I believe a Special Forces operator or a SWAT operator can downgrade easy because upgrading you can't. You only fall back.
Speaker 2: To some of that brainwash that you used a little bit as in you there to upgrade down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know you fall back to live your level of training. If you've never up if you never upgraded in training, you can't do that. So I give it. I'll give you one example, a personal example. I don't think I've ever said it on video. I was at my house which is kind of surrounded by fences and a gate. It's just the layout, and nine o'clock at night, I'm watching TV with my partner at the time, and I hear this crash. I quickly go and put my boots on and get my war belt. Now we're not armed over here. We don't come and carry pistols and things. There's a couple of things there. I had cuffs, and I had a torch and something else.
Speaker 2: Which is a flashlight. A flashlight is a torch for those of you that are listening, it's not an actual torch. I just want to be clear, to be clear, I think I'm interpreting much.
Speaker 3: I love that. Yes, So I get my boots because he can't fight without footwear, and I got my I got my cuffs, so I got my own belt. He's got a few things, and I rush out and I see this guy scrambling up over a fence to get out of our area, and I put two and two together and I just yelled at him. I gave him some orders and he stopped where he was. He had the shock of capture. I went to go put hands on him, and I realized he was a sixteen year old. And by the words you're saying, he said to the words of their feet, Hey, I'm freaking out on DHT or some drug hallocino jack freaking out. So immediately I went to from I've got to go and control with strain a bad guy, to hey, it's okay. I calmed him down and we started to call an ambulance for him. So I went from I'm going to go smash a guy who knows what it is to have to now actually get medical aid, and this is now a sixteen year old, not an adult. I've got to look after this guy. And we turned out getting the ambulance, getting the police, getting his mum, you've got to be able to upgrade downgrade. And he of course he never got cuffed. So there's one real word example read of maybe answering a question in a different way. I would suggest that Marine could have got some people to hold down his legs and hold down his arms and set him up safely and talk to him in a different way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe just have a different approach than just probably straight blindside. I wasn't there, I wasn't in the subway, but I can imagine just like quick. It was real quick, and he was not going to have any more of it. And it's now within the systems of the United States courts and all that kind of stuff. I just think that it's it's like, you know, Brandon, our friend Brandon Webb runs the Saite Navy seal. He I'm gonna speak from one of his experiences that he talked about was that JFK airport and there was all of a sudden he gets off the plane and he's waiting to get out and go to his luggage, and all of a sudden there's this shot spire. Yeah, so it's yelling it, they're screaming it, and cops are running around with their guns out, and he says he got flagged by the police like two three different times, you know, just them alone, and he was like, I do not want to be in here. This is not for me. And I think somebody on the internet one time said to him, well, if you had a concealed carry, you could have took care of it, because you're an even steal sniper. He said, if I had a gun on me and I had pulled it out to do anything, I would have been shot by the police because they were so like not upgraded.
Speaker 3: They were just like, huh, thank you, that's so important. He said that there's an example here, and I gave this example on the French playground stabbing female police officer. So she's fully trained, an actual operational police officer. Har and a partner rolled up to a domestic incident. The mail of the domestic incident started fighting with her male partner rolling around on the verge the grass lawn outside the house. She ran to her police car and locked herself inside and left her partner to get smashed in by this guy. That's not her fault, that's a training issue. She had never seen a real fight with actual violence, and so she ran away from it. She hadn't upgraded to that, and that was exposure and those cops were not put in life threatening situations with having guns. Again, I don't blame them. I blame them the people who trained them. It's a training issue and that's what Again, it goes back to ten minutes ago. I would want people to, you know, the housewife, to learn from my experiences and my exposure of them to that it's self defense.
Speaker 2: It's everything from how you carry your keys right like, you know, getting in and out of the car. We've probably seen it or heard it or seen it on your social media scrolls like some self defense thing, but it's real. You can put your keys in your face exactly to have them sticking through. Like my pencil is right there. If you had a pencil that that thing in the nearest vampot is John Wick action, isn't it? Yeah? Right there? You know there's a there's a funny thing. I did a movie called Firestarter Rekindled and it has this guy named Malcolm McDowell in it, and he was in a movie called Clockwork Orange and uh, he's the main guy in Clockwork Orange and he's from the UK, but he was filming in Utah and I was playing the dad to the fire starter for the Stephen King mable for Sci Fi Channel, and he has to shove one of these in my ear. Oh oh yeah, yeah yeah, And I'll tell you behind the scenes spoiler alert. It's a shunt. It's a shunt. So what it is is it's supposed to collapse, so it looks full size. Yeah, and inside of it is a blood pellet. And so he's supposed to shove it into my ear as if he kills me and I'm strapped into the chair. He actually shoves it into my arm, and the blood that comes out of my ear is my blood. So yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't know why that the pencil, the John Wick thing. You know, there's some PTSD filming a movie. Look, you know funny. I also have another I have a New Zealand connection with a movie I'm in. Yeah, do you know the Motorcyclist Burt Monroe?
Speaker 3: I do. I love that movie. Actually, I watched that movie The Wills Foster Indian in the middle of my training.
Speaker 2: That's right, I am. I had. I had a small, little like featured extra role in that. But I'm on the salt Flats as an official with the white and blue shirt and the whole time with Tony Hopkins and you know as he's playing Burt Monroe and the director. Oh my gosh, I just want to blank. He's like the largest landowner in New Zealand. Roger donalds. Oh wow, Yeah, he's like one of the largest landowners over there.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Just buying it up all the time, all the time. He made a few good No, he made no way out with Kevin Clost. Yeah. I don't know if you ever saw that where he was like this the Russian spy in the military. Wow, tell me something. Now, do you do film or television? Have you ever?
Speaker 3: There was a documentary made on nine New Zealand says, and they followed us around for years and filmed that. I haven't done any film or television. I don't think I was in and an advertisement once a little extras role would but no, nothing nothing like you have my friend.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, it's all fun and games. You know. I mean, you look like you got some guns that would show up like Arnold on the on the screen. You know what I'm saying. Bro, like that whole like Dylan and Dutch in Predator where they're grabbing arms together. Know, so how do you how do you maintain that?
Speaker 3: Thanks for asking?
Speaker 2: How do you maintain your physique? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Look, I just turned fifty years old. All I can say is just keep doing something. You know, when I was young, I was a bodybuilding champion natural, I was only young, and in little Okay, I was a Pan Pacific so international bodybuilding champion.
Speaker 2: And I just kept going, how tall are you? Just tell tell my listener how tall you are. They might relate.
Speaker 3: So I'm old, So I saying feet and inches, I'm five foot eight and I'm six foot five.
Speaker 2: Holy cow, just to give us, just to give our listener a little bit. Yeah, like if you're out there and you're five foot five, five foot eight, five foot nine, this dude here is doing everything that you might want to be going to do too. Yeah. Look, you're just saying you're.
Speaker 3: You've got to stay in shape. And I was at the I've got my garage Jim out the back and sometimes I go to a little gym on the beach. I've got a membership there because I'm rehabbing an injury. And this guy said to me, what sport do you play? And I'd actually taken my little boy there. He was sitting there reading and playing lego while I was exercising in the corner. And I looked over my boy and said, actually, I trained for him, and I trained for my boy that I can pack him up and save him when I need to. And it's nice. There's a saying one of my guests say, I'm not vain, but I'm not vain. It's nice to look good. But the way I look is a side effect of my training, which I'll answer your question on, not that I'm training for how I look. So I lift about four times a week, five times a week. It's main the upper body because I had a broken ankle for some time. I'll train tabata bike and I'll train the ski urg and row and put circus together. But thirty to sixty minutes every day, I'd say, I do, and that's not that long. It's important to do that. And I eat right as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you are watching what you eat right. Health and wellness is a big part of you, is that correct?
Speaker 3: Yeah, toiled it for many years, Thank you, and I love passing on that knowledge. But it's not rocket science. We all know what to eat really, we don't need a doctor tail us or some crazy diet.
Speaker 2: Book and what to drink water? Rightyeah, yeah, exactly. Water is good for you, keeping as simple, like funny. Just before you, just before I got on with you today, I was watching somebody talk about how many seventy seven grams of sugar equals and sugar cubes or how many tea spoons in a cup, you know, in a glass, and it was for you know, we have mountain dew over all, which is I don't know if it's allowed. I don't know if that's allowed over in Australia because it's got yellow number five, right, So there's a lot of things that aren't allowed over there, but coca cola, you know, is coca cola good or his diet coke better? And so the guy was doing he's a diabetic and he's going over both. And one's got aspertained and doesn't spike his blood sugar as much. Still probably not good for you. The other thing was coke, which had like twenty two sugar cubes per serving, per serving, twenty two sugar cues. He put them in a glass. He's like, this is basically what you're drinking twenty two sugar cues. He say, forget that, just drink water. But he's on the you know, one of those scrolls that I see, and I myself has started boxing. I've been boxing Big Phil, my friend Big Phil from Sas. Yep, he's constantly boxing. I saw his fights.
Speaker 3: I saw the sty Sas versus America fights the other day.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, I hosted that.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, that's amazing. Yeah, and I love that. That would draw a lot of them.
Speaker 2: You know, dude, some of got the one dude he got his nose shattered, okay, and he's staying at our flat that night. I don't know how many of the guys wanted to keep going out. We were like east Side London and like, hey, it's three in the morning, now let's go out. And is like I think I should go to the doctor. And I was like, we're in a foreign country. We're American veterans that are beat up. Why in a hospital? This is not our war today. You got to suck this up on the plane ride tomorrow. So, you know, it does scramble you a little bit. These guys are hard, and you know, dudes that the essays guys were bigger than the Navy Seal guys. Yeah, we had a Delta Force guy, Travis Kraus was there. And then boy, all their names Delgado. Now he's a big dude for Marine Recon. And when those two were fighting, that's right, Jason Delgatta, that's right to give him a positive shout out, right, he's a he's a stud. And then there was like Eric Davis, all these guys just.
Speaker 3: Hey, Eric Davis. From that I.
Speaker 2: Interviewed, Yes, you must have interviewed Eric. Yeah, former snipers for Yeah, he fought. Yeah, he fought, dude. Oh yeah, Eric fought. I sat right with him talking to him, and we were having a beer. And actually here's how it went down. We were meeting for the team fight in London. Everybody's rallying up at this restaurant. It's by twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen, right around twenty sixteen, and everybody's meeting for the first time to know everybody. And I'm at the end of it, at the end of the table, and Brandon's at the other end, and I'm over by Eric. Eric's at the head, Brandon's at the other end, So I'm sitting right next to Eric and the waitress comes over. She's like, do you want to drink? And I was like, y'all have a beer. And we were talking and he's like, wait, didn't you say you were a Mormon rat. I was like yeah. He's like, I'll have a beer too, and I was like what. He's like, yeah, I'm Mormon too. But you know, when there's two of us together, it's like is one of them drinking the other one? So not to say anything bad, but that's how I got to know Eric, all right, And then after that I've just become friends with him. And he's a you know, I mean, anybody that can push Chris Kyle into the ground and try to make him quit seal sniper Corse, that's the guy. It's him, you know. And so many famed people that he in the military community, that he oversaw, people who didn't even get notoriety, right, Yeah, no one talks about right like, there's no movie, not ever going to be a movie. It didn't happen, This wasn't here. You don't know about this. There's a thing in your brain that blows up if you talk about it. You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Eric's a great guy. In honor to have him on the show. I was just love talking to them in front of knowledge. But there's two things that comes out of our conversation there. One is self defense and the other sports. Neither of those are related to winning a violent confrontation. Self defense, there's no such thing. Self defense is illegal. This is for the listeners. It's a legal defense in court. That's what that is. If you're going to a self defense school, it's a marketing term. I don't teach self defense. I teach Europe. I teach world or two combatives. I teach my special forces training experience and a police experience. Self defense. If you're defensive, you just been a little ball. You have to win. There's no such thing. And the other was sports. You know, boxing is a great sport, but one guy broke his nose and then the other had to draw. That's not going to work. So there's a huge difference between sports. And all the people in this world that are of any caliber speak to it. Michael don Vito speaks to it, Tony Blauer, all those sort of people. You know, sport is great, but there's no rules. So when the bad guy says, hey, give me a wallet or I'll kill you, and you give me the wallet and then he stabs you. You can't go. Oh, you didn't play by the rules. It's a criminal.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't believe the bad guy. And if you're going to go into a fist fight with someone, which I don't know why you would, and the other guy pulls out a knife and stabs you, and you think that's unfear, you really need to take a good look at your surroundings. Bad guys don't play by the rules, and sport is not a real fight.
Speaker 2: You know. It's funny you said that. I talked you a little bit about my dad being former Green Beret, etc. He taught me when I was a little kid. He said, if you're ever in a fight, you just grab the balls or whatever is there because there's no rules in a fight. There is no fair fight. He said, there is no fair fight. And the fact that you're saying that right now just reiterates what dad said. There is no fair fight. There might be a pencil on the ground out of your school books flying. I'm not saying anything, but I'm just saying if you're yeah, I don't want to get into any type of a fisticuffs altercation with anyone want to I want to have a discussion.
Speaker 3: We're having a nice discussion that could turn into an angry discussion, which people might call an argument. But if you want to fight, someone's going to end up in hospital or dead because why would why would we go to hands on? Now, especially females as an ambush attack, it's hands on straight away. But if you're if you let your ego get involved and you go to to then put hands on someone or they put hands on you, you've just lost it straight You lost the game straight away, and you and you might not go home that night to your family. You know. It's there's just no such thing as a fair fight. There's a quote you can put out, but I want to teach people, hey, walk away or protect yourself immediately and eliminate that threat. And I don't want people to.
Speaker 2: Have to be there.
Speaker 3: If we can use as you said sort of twenty minutes ago, situation awareness, we see things a little bit more. Let's pass the knowledge onto those people who haven't been trained like us.
Speaker 2: Read that's right now, just knowing a little bit more head on us. Just looking to your right, looking to your left. At every stop light before I go through it, even if it turns green on me, I'm like, let me just take a quick look. I don't care about anybody behind me because it's in me. Yeah, you know, if they're like, I look, get going, I'm not texting. I promise, don't hank me for that, Okay. I'm just making sure it's clear to go through the intersection.
Speaker 3: And I saw that today on the way to school. We saw someone not give way at a give way sign and almost take out the maserati that we had the right away. I'll ask you a question, read how safety do you feel going out at night with all those Special Forces guys and the vibe they put out and seeing what they saw.
Speaker 2: I felt really safe, okay, because I learned it's not my war from Eric Davis. And that was because we were standing in front of a chips and fish and chip shop, fish and chips and some kebab shop or something on the east side, and all of a sudden, I was just eating my chips, right and this drunk lady comes over and she just looks at me and she's wasted and she just reaches in. I put vinegar on my stuff, and she came and I was watching this drunk chick just go to town on my chips. I was like, I don't even want them anymore. But I'm watching this and Eric and all those guys are like, who's she And I was like, she's wasted wanting to eat my chips, so she spits them out because she's got vinegar. Vinegar on your chips. I'm like, yeah, they're going on my fish toobe. Man, this's my fries. Out of nowhere, Out of nowhere. This dude goes running out of the corner of my eye up the street and just floors it into this dude's face out of nowhere. His face is spurting blood. Then he kicks him onto the curb and Eric date and I was like, oh, my first thing stinks are what? Oh shit? What just I should help? I should give care. Yeah, Davis hit me on the shoulder said not our war, let's move, and I was like walking away looking over my shoulder, like, not our war, you know, poor guy, not our war. He didn't call it. That guy jumped him, and all of a sudden, Mann, you know, you got the police, the peers coming through, and I was like, yeah, not our war. As soon as I saw those blue checkers. I was like, not us, non America. I can't talk back to those cops, not my war, not my passport to handover. You know what I'm saying, like, what are you doing in this violent thing with all these Navy seals? So, yeah, situational awareness, you know, and we were walking it was like three in the morning, and we're I would have not wanted to mess with that group. Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: They not only were aware of the situation, they comprehended the situation really really well at that time of the morning. And that's why I pose that question to you. You know, they're seeing stuff and they're calm to a degree that others may not be, and that makes you calm. It's just great to be a surrounded They're going to see those streets well before the other people do. And again, you're going to knowledge transfer. I want to transfer the knowledge to other people.
Speaker 2: Or like Eric Davis is upgraded, I might not have been as upgraded. And he looked and he already knew rat you're a nice guy, bro, but not our war, not today.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like, all right, and that's true. I hope he hears this. I'm attacking him in it at Eric Davis's tell us that now your podcast is the how Not to DIEG podcast? Right, No, No, And so.
Speaker 3: My instagram, my instagram is how not to dieg on my podcast that you know. We connected eventually through Brandon Webb. What an amazing guest he was, so I was so humbled to have him on as a straight talk mind and muscle podcast encompassing so many things. You know, I could have mined. I could have like a top psychologist on which I have one of the top psychicolists in the world. Muscle, I could have one of the All Blacks coaches on, or I could have mined with a Delta Force guy talking PTSD. Or I could have a muscle with say a Navy seal talking about seal prep. So it compasses a whole bunch of those things as well.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you, since you're one of the first, which many people prayed on, No, I think you're one of the first, like actual trainers out there that are right, one of the first personal trainers. Is that what I studied? Yah, that's correct.
Speaker 3: I was one of the first personal trainers in the world at Les Mills back in like nineteen ninety one.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, And so Arnold Schwarzenegger says, do you wake up and go to bed every day? And do you drink water? That's why I go to the gym. He's like, I go there because it's who I am and what I do. And someone's like, are you ever going to give up going to the gym? And he's like, do you give up sleeping and eating? It's like, so I want to bring that full forward because in about forty days since I started my boxing regiment, I've been going. I've gone about thirty out of the forty days to the gym, learning all my ones and twos and combos, and I've lost about six pounds of fat.
Speaker 3: Excellent.
Speaker 2: I like watching that melt on the floor between my feet, the drips and the sweat. Okay, I love to show that. And what do you think? You know, you're just saying do something, do something? Be active? Right? Someone might be listening to this. They could be driving the lorry or a truck driver that's what we call him over here. It might be a lorry driver. I've learned your language, and Bob's your uncle, right, is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well well done?
Speaker 2: But you know what's a good thing for someone who wants to join the military, who's thinking about going in who what should they be trying to think about, you know, the guy that wants to just get into basic training. And whether it's in New Zealand or the US, what's something that they should be focusing on. Is it running? Is it mental? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think that fitness brings mental toughness. That's my personal opinion based on what I did to past selection and anybody else that I know. Fitness is a base and then mental toughness is above that. But you can't have one without the other. It's going through hard things. What I think they should focus on is first just start walking. Start getting some longer walks in and the weekend go for a nice hike and enjoy the view. Enjoy the view when you out there. Don't just put some music on and be in pain. Enjoy the view you have a look around, and then progress that to running and between that kind of like Arnold said, you just do things. I suggest press ups and set ups and chin ups every day, every day, you know, just make it five five five five press ups, five chin ups, five setups, and then progress that me personally, I progress things each week. I couldn't walk reud. I was on crutches out of surgery, so I was below what a baby would be. I couldn't even crawl around and put any weight on my leg. Progression, progression is important, and give yourself that goal. But give yourself a starting point and give yourself an endpoint. If the endpoint is getting into basic training and they've got to run test and a press up test, you know what you've got to do. See where you're starting at, and then just progressively make it so. And if you want to lose weight, which you didn't ask directly, but yes, talk about that losing weight. You know that workout will burn a minimum amount of calories, even if you run your guts out for an hour.
Speaker 2: It's not a lot.
Speaker 3: I think it's six hundred calories. Seven hundred calories. I mean go to Starbucks and get a double chocolate chip fabuccino or a burger blow that. What really burns calories, and it is calories and carries out is what you do in the day. So again, me lying on the couch for six weeks recovering, I was burning no calories. I had to bring my food down. It was real and now when I can move more, you move more. Just get out and move more through the day. So you know, they say the simple thing like park your car further away, but from the interest of the store, just move more. And if the easiest way to measure that is get a five dollars pedometer and get twelve to fourteen thousand steps and that will make you lose weight more. It's easy to.
Speaker 2: Use your cell phone. You use your cell phone. Today's cell phones have it right there, So I bet you hang on. I'm not sure does that got to sneak on? It is that? It is? Oh? You still that's your phone?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I've got the social media, I've got the online stores and things. I make sure that when I'm out and about I can't excess those things. And I've got a phone here it's got snake. Yeah, it's not snake.
Speaker 2: I think that's like one hundred thousand dollars on eBay right now. You might just want to google that. I think the first generation iPhone just sold for one hundred and seventy thousand dollars from two thousand and seven. Wow, I'm not even joking with you. Wow, it's a little yea you might be like, well, how much it might Yeah, I actually looked through my drawers to see if I can find old AT and T and Nokia phones. Dude, that's so nice, you look.
Speaker 3: Just move more. Move more is the important thing, and just easy moving and the pedometer is the simplest way. And do some press ups, chin ups and setups or something like that. Something's going to help and you don't go to I've got my garage with chains and uh and weights, and I put brake discs on on the on the.
Speaker 2: I saw break discs, was that you Yeah? They blue? Is it on your blue? Blue?
Speaker 3: Is the blue is the old old weight? And then on the app. So I changed the brake roaches in my car. I mean all that I could use these. They might fit on the bar.
Speaker 2: That's on your Instagram, right, I swear I saw that. Yeah, the how not to dye guy Instagram. If you get one person to follow you from this, I hope they going like that picture because that's where I was like, it doesn't take much. And I also saw some young man in Africa in a village trying to train to become a professional basketball player in the rain, in the heat, and no matter what but what he's using is using old plastic water bottles as is his weights for his bench press. And he's got like old tires that he's like doing his stretches with and everything. But the dude is shredded. Yeah, he is shredded. He doesn't have some huge fitness gym that's around the corner that he's locked in two month over month and he doesn't even use. He's literally like, you know, what's up, I'm in the rain. I'm he made like a He took a piece of tin roof and folded it so it was like a U and he put it under the basket so when he shot the ball, it would roll back to him. No oh yeah, yeah, he's the things you see when you're scrolling.
Speaker 3: You know, I've got some I've got a y bell. It's it's kind of like a kidtlebell down bell butt. That's the other started story. They weigh twelve kilos and I need to lift more. So I tied with some string, tied a five kilo plate on either side to it, so I could have seventeen kilos yesterday.
Speaker 2: Right right, And I kept adapting to it. Yeah why not?
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: See, I just started doing so with this boxing, it's very cardio calisthetics, very aerobic. You know. I didn't realize how much I was getting into with boxing, right the techniques I thought I used to make fun of boxing. I don't make fun of boxing. I don't the Mike Tyson fights and stuff like, oh you can't last with Tyson, I understand, right, and so and so. I just learned how to do twenty complete burpies the other day, like complete kickout back, push up, you know, burpies. But I wasn't doing improper for about thirty days because I'm a big dude. I'm too eighty eight, but now I'm two eighty two and six foot five and dropping down and pushing back my legs is a chore. Yeah, And I see these other dudes in there, and I was like, man, I gotta do this. The other day, I went and got some good athletic shorts, not my normal cargo shorts. I got some stuff that will allow my junk to move freely and like have some spandex inside. Bro. I was doing burpies like. I was so proud of myself. Every time I drip drip sweat, I was just like, I'm changing my body.
Speaker 3: They say, sweet, sweetest fat, crying.
Speaker 2: Good good cry. I look in the mirror and I flip my stomach off all the time. I'm like, I'm coming for you. I'm like, the only thing in front of me is you, and it's my mirror. It's this me, me, I'm the only thing that's stopping me from doing anything better for me is me.
Speaker 3: Well read, you say that I interviewed two ladies. One was one hundred and ninety kilos, So that's close to two.
Speaker 2: Hundred two point three pounds of kilos. So you're talking about pounds, yeah, three hundred PUDs. Yeah, it's something about one thirty.
Speaker 3: I'm about of pounds and you know, five foot five. I interviewed here. So she ended up she didn't have any mirrors in her house because she didn't want to see herself. And she looked in her photo. Somebody took a photo of her and she went, oh my god, I'm three hundred pounds. She became a fitness bikini model.
Speaker 2: It just snapped her. YEP.
Speaker 3: So she made the decision and I interviewed her, and I asked her this one question, is the whole angle of the interview was? You know, is it mental or is it something else? He goes, it's a choice. I chose to get rid of all the mirrors in my house and never have a photograph so I didn't have to look at myself. She then saw the photo, she chose, it's my choice to do that. Another lady she weighed more. She weighed around about three hundred and eighty pounds, and now she's down to about one hundred and fifty and she's lost two people people, so people, she doubled her weight in pregnancy after pregnancy, sorry, and she goes so fat. She had to go grocery shopping at two am in the morning so she wouldn't be embarrassed, and she used a motorized scooter. She made a decision. And I love what you said. It's a decision because you said, the only thing stopping you is you. If someone decides to make the decision to go for a selection, to join the military, to lose six pounds, to stop boxing, to do fourteen thousand steps, all these things are decisions, and if it's to be, it's up to me. Is a very simple quote that I think is relevant here.
Speaker 2: You know, and when you said you're not really training for like this physique or this style. You're just training for your son or for your family and the loved ones around you. I have that same vibe. I know that results will come. I can already start seeing it in like my arms and whatnot and my shoulders. I know that those results would come because I want to look like a boxer. I know what a boxer looks like. And even if it's butterbean, bro come at me, man, Okay, go ahead, He's solid, dude. I wouldn't fight butterbeans like Okay, but Cardio still big dude. He's like huge dude. But again, when I go over and see Big Phil or Rob Paxman or all these guys that were boxing. You know, Rob's my size six five, you know, big dude, and he's up there boxing maybe Delgado who's like maybe six foot Wow. You know. I mean there's a big, a big size difference between the US guys and the SAS guys. I'll tell you that. Yeah, like Jim, you know these guys I'm repping that. I'm saying off the top.
Speaker 3: Of your Yes, Jason Dogada, I cand of remember seeing names, and then so I remember do got on linked with Jason when I have seen it written down and Paxton.
Speaker 2: Is I think also former twenty two maybe sas or he might be regiment.
Speaker 3: The other guy. There's another a says guy there. He he was on the TV shows fod his wins. But he's a skulla all now there's all the acts. He's a bridge Jason.
Speaker 2: Okay, he did. I did find them four. I've done three of them. I've gone over to England three times with the US team to host it, and it's been it's been Alie Chinton, it's been or Ali, and it's been Jim. But Jim's last names. I only think of a Instagram it's like one seven seven to two. It's like twenty two D Squadron. It's you know, and uh Rob Patton and then Matt Hell You're fought and Cray is the name I'm thinking of. Oh Callin. Yeah, there was another guy that was supposed to fight for the US, but he couldn't make it. He does deadly skills. Oh, Clint Emerson was supposed to fight on that card.
Speaker 3: Clint is a great guy headed on the show. Yeah, really cool dude. Look his stuff that he teaches, you know. So I actually referenced Clinton the article that's coming up for the Auckland shooting. His skills of you know, you're on the other side of a door, get take off your belt and wrap it around the automatic door closer. He just saves your life with an idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's like, carry a zebra pen. You know, a zebra pen is metal, It can go an He demonstrates with a piece of plywood. He goes yep, right through the plywood with it, and he's like, and no one's going to take it from you at the security checkpoint because it's a zebra pen looks like a pen. So, I mean the little things that are in his little Deadly Skills book, you know, to keep you from daying like what you're look at.
Speaker 3: They're not little things. I mean, I said, with that guy that turned out to be a drug user, the first thing I went and did was get my boots. So I teach people less and I'm going to do a video beside my bid I have my boots. You can't fight and be your feet. How many times you see people break their hands or break their their feet and you have see so many times all the time. You're not going to break your feet in the boots. You can run out naked, but you got some boots on. That's what that's my first weapon before I'm going and getting and I wouldn't do it here because in Australia, before you getting body armor and a gun, I'm putting the boots on, so then I can then start to work up.
Speaker 2: Right, that's like your first line, your boots, Like, hey, yeah, boots, just like the dude tail in his shoes. He's like, I'm not worried about the lion because you got to run from the line and you wilps.
Speaker 3: Just from the military, I don't think you would it on in the Air Force, but in the military general military, when we air our feet out, you'd only ear one one foot out at a time. So you take one boot off foot powder on, ear it out because you've been in the wet in New Zealand, and then you do the other one. So you got a boot on the ground at all times, like a foot on the ground when you're moving forward. You got one one team or one person creating a firm base, moving moving, moving, and then the other one. So these simple things and you know the one hundred deadly skills with Clint and people say the little things, but those things that pin, that zebra pin might save your.
Speaker 2: Life one hundred percent. And you know, I've got a friend in the army who carries a zebra pin because of Clint and his advice, and we've had his books and all that kind of stuff through. You know. It's funny how it's a small world. That's all I have to say, all right, because here we are talking in two different time dimensions, two different days, about people that we both talk about and have. Yeah, these interactions, no wonder. Brandon's like rad get Demian on the show and I was like, you know, no, no, kidd, you know. And yesterday I was like, let's do it now, let's go now, and You're like, ye, in two hours, let's get because we're both awake. You know, it's like, what time is it if he's a weak now, I'm like and I'm a week Now, what time does it have to work for us? And I was like, am, because it's about what ten am in your times on right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so we're coming up to ten am, and you're so right the small world. I was telling someone that I did a podcast and a radio show the other day and I listed some of the guests, and she's like, how do you get these people? I was like, well, it just sort of it's organic. You know, I'm talking to you. Phill End up coming on in a couple of months, and it's because we share that same love of helping others. I believe without being an egotistical and we get it. You know. Brandon was again, I go back to what I said half an hour ago. Brandon owns one hundred million dollar media company, plus soft Rep. I'd read about him for like three or four years. I'd read his book, I read Eric and Eric's book on that as well, and then I just fished out to him. Yeah, look, I just reached out to him and he said, yeah, I'll come on the show. And he made time during Thanksgiving and I was stunned. And because he knows that I can share his story to good people. And you know, if we can share one thing that one person, sorry, one thing that helps one person on the show, then I've done my job and that's what I'm here to do.
Speaker 2: Now. Do you, foresee, do you have a book, do you have anything that is going to be coming up? Do you think you'll sit down and write a memoir.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question. I have actually partnered with I'm just gonna leave it. If they're going to say British, I won't say what he does. I was just say a British operator. And we are going to be creating an audiobook first, and then that's going to transcribe into a written book and that'll be over the.
Speaker 2: Next year or two or I look forward to getting a copy or listening to it. You know, it's such a cool thing to have these audiobooks these days, where you know you can listen like they're listening to us or watching us right now. There's nothing like reading a good book. But you know, the audio is very popular these days, so I wish you most success with that. And I know I've had your time for about an hour and it doesn't even seem like that. It just flies by so quick, and I know our listener knows. I'm trying to wind it down because you've got things to get on with your day and continue to stay. You know, you're firefighter. Thanks for your service firefighting by the way over there. I'm sure everybody that you help really appreciate you being on site when you show up, you know, first it's a great world, It really is.
Speaker 3: I haven't been. I haven't been on the job for six months with my broken ankle. It is a long term injury. But look popped in the station and now and then and look at it's an amazing job. That one and again that's people running towards danger. Good people doing that. Male and female. We have one standard over here.
Speaker 2: It's great. Look shout out. Is there a station number like over in the US. You got a number for your station?
Speaker 3: Hey, that's funny because I had been to Orlando. I've been to Orange County the fire station there. But my fire station here in Western Australia is Clearmont fire Station. Oh yeah, it's a great bunch of guys, small station. It's a real home. And yeah, of course, thank you for the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Who's the best? Who's the best cook? You got it? Let's get let's let's start some wars. Who's the best cook there? Who's the best? The best? Is it? You? Who is it?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll throw it out there for my buddy Sean pulled away from bondsay in England. He's an import, luck I am, and yeah he can he can do a main pool belly that boy.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. There's a shout out. So if you want to be a firefighter, go join his his squad and get some pork belly. Well, listen, I'm gonna wind down and just remind you that we have a merch store. It's got Softwap goods in it. You can go check out Brandon Webb's new book Blind Fear, which has just released this month. Go check it out, get it for Christmas, for your father, for your mother, go check out the audio books. I'm the voice of the character Finn and Cold Fear and Steel Fear, so I'm very thrilled to have that opportunity and I'm really pleased and thank you Brandon for introducing Damian Porter to me today and having you become part of my life. So welcome to my family and soft Rep Mafia. I'm happy to be a partner with you here, So thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you Ried. I'm actually honored, I really and thank you so much for up chain. It's been great to check to you. I love you to know a pission from the other side of the world in an interview in such a organic way, and it's just been a pleasure. Thank you for your interview skills and get the information out to you.
Speaker 2: Every Body, you're welcome. And again, if anybody wants to go check out Damien's instagram, it is how Not to Die Guy, and I have to look at the ceiling because I have to say how Not to Die Guy. So go check out how Not to Die Guy on Instagram, Friend him and h and follow along and see if you can get some coaching tips. I bet you could reach out and ask him some questions too. So I just want to say thank you on behalf of soft Rep Brandon Webb and the whole cast and crew, Anton who does my producing. Another shout out for you, Bro. I know you're going to hear it, So thank you to Chris and Mark and everybody else and my wife. This is Rat saying peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Silk rep Radia