Speaker 1: Deeralana has released weekly and brought to you absolutely free. But if you want to binge the whole season right now, subscribe to tenderfoot Plus at tenderfootplus dot com or on Apple Podcasts. You also get exclusive bonus episodes throughout the season. For more information, check out the show notes. Enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: The following episode contains references to suicide. If you or someone you know is in need of help, please contact the Suicide in Crisis Lifeline by dialing nine eight eight. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 3: What's time, Judy, do?
Speaker 4: Look around? Shine?
Speaker 1: I grew up around girls. I have a sister, Margaret, and my closest friends were my female cousins, Sharon and Vivian. We chase each other around the house, shrieking, playing Nintendo incessantly, and as you heard re enact The Little Mermaid. I was obsessed with this movie. I'm like six or seven. It's the first film I've ever seen in theaters, and I'm riveted by this redheaded mermaid. And I also know that that's not something I should be proud of, not because anyone sits me down to tell me that. But I just pick up that like most other boys my age are not singing to the Little Mermaid. They're outside playing baseball, soccer, hockey. I grew up in Toronto in the eighties and nineties, and as a Chinese immigrant family, we didn't have access to, say hockey, it's a really expensive sport, so at recess, I have no idea how to play what the boys are playing, and I play with the girls. After a while, that just created more bullying from the boys. They kick balls at me and would laugh when I ducked out of the way. One of my earliest memories is me on the schoolyard during recess. It's winter. My recess activity in frigid Canada is cracking the ice puddles, waiting desperately for the bell to ring. I'm feeling so so lonely. Everyone else is off playing together, skipping rope or playing ball hockey, and it seems like the only friend I can talk to as I'm poking the ice with my boot is God. God is the only one who understands me, the only one who cares, who sticks around. And this is such a deep memory because it's cemented in me who God was and helped me survive from tenderfoot TV. I'm Simon kent Fung. This is Dear Alana Part two. Father, Oh my god, I can't understand. I'm with Joyce, Alana's mother, who has so many unanswered questions about Alana's suicide.
Speaker 5: It was a thirteen that she started suffering. Did you help that.
Speaker 6: I was severely depressed and had suicidal ideation probably at the age of nine.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: You thought that because of thinking you were.
Speaker 6: No, it was because I was. I was bullied a lot. Oh, and I never felt like I belonged, and yeah, I think I just remember even we moved to a new neighborhood and a new school, and I started a new school, and you know this was like in third grade, the first day they make you do an all about me thing. I remember, even at that age I must have been what eight years old? My all about me was like, what are people that I think about me? What is the most acceptable hobby? Because anything that would have liked I would have been I had fun of, you know. So I remember writing like baseball and like me really it wasn't Yeah, and I like I really like watching didn't like things like this and likes are so mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So do you think Is that how you found God?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I remember being really depressed. My parents didn't know this, but I would. I would sleep a lot. That's how I experienced it initially. And then I remember finding quotes from Bible and really just there was one passage from Saint Paul when he talks about.
Speaker 1: When I'm weak, then I am.
Speaker 6: Strong, and when I'm small and I'm big, And I remember just feeling like God is the only like in my life. Yeah that understands and will care.
Speaker 5: And so Richie found on your olympause.
Speaker 1: Alana got really into church on her own too, but I'm still not sure why she was drawn to it at such an early age. I don't get the sense that she was bullied like me as a kid. In fact, Joyce tells me that Alana had many friends, and it doesn't take long until she introduces me to Joy. Not Joyce, but Joy, one of Alana's oldest friends.
Speaker 8: So Alana and I met on the first day of kindergarten. We went to Fireside Elementary. So yeah, I've known her my whole life.
Speaker 1: It feels like it's windy on this bright fall day, and Joy is dressed in layers with her blonde hair in a bun. We meet at Davidson Mesa, one of their favorite places to hike. I can see the appeal. It's a huge open area with wide views of the rocky mountains, a paved looped trail. It's a great place to clear your head or have a conversation with a friend.
Speaker 8: We would go at night a lot, or at sunset. She shared a lot of different We shared a lot of different things with each other on those walks. So Alana had this big tattoo on her ribcage of Jesus on the cross, and like when we were walking here was the first time she showed it to me, and she like hadn't told her parents.
Speaker 1: I asked her what her earliest memories of Alana were.
Speaker 8: She was so much fun, so playful and curious and kind. We loved to like have sleepovers and we made all these videos of ourselves giggling and like jumping on the trampoline. She had, you know, sisters, so I only had brothers. They had all these clothes in their house, all these girls clothes. We would dress up, and Carissa will dress us up and do our makeup. She made me look like Shirley Temple one.
Speaker 1: Time, Alana Enjoy have a scrap book that they created, and they had this tradition of passing the book back and forth on big occasions like birthdays, and taking turns writing a new entry, adding a new picture or memory to the ages. Joy brought the book with her and she opens up the front cover.
Speaker 8: She says, well, I don't actually remember the day we met, so bye, just kidding, but seriously, I don't remember, but it happened probably the first day of kindergarten. It must have been fate that we met that day. Since we're still friends today, I guess this doesn't count as a memory, but it was still a very important date and I'm glad it happened.
Speaker 1: She turns the page, passed a photo of a maybe six year old Halna looking wistfully next to Joy, who's mugging to the camera.
Speaker 8: This is a classic story. She tried to comfort me and then I gave her the flu.
Speaker 1: And she's drawing these little school drawing friender hat each one.
Speaker 8: Yes, so there's a stistic figure on this. One says cough, and then hers says, don't worry, you'll get better. There was a day I told her my crush.
Speaker 1: The scrap book is thick, and we see Alana and Joy through the years becoming teenagers.
Speaker 8: When someone would have a breakup, she would, you know, be all in on. We played game called we called it that He's a loser game and everyone would just say things about this X and then we'd say he's a loser. It's really mature, nonproductive, but you know she wasn't above any of it.
Speaker 1: We turned the page to a picture of Alana in a sports uniform.
Speaker 8: So a big part of high school, I think is frisbee.
Speaker 1: She's referring to ultimate frisbee, a high intensity sport where players have to get a frisbee to an end zone while trying not to get intercepted along the way. The high school ultimate frisbee team becomes one of Alana's core group of friends. This is Nie, the frisbee team captain.
Speaker 9: For me, ultimate has always been a space where like people can do whatever they want, they can really be themselves.
Speaker 1: It was Knee's passion for ultimate frisbee that recruited Alana and many others from their high school, and one song in particular really sums up their team.
Speaker 9: Pedal is a popular radio song from like the mid two thousands. I would say, for some reason, someone on our team wanted to turn that song into ass paddle. You know, we would form a circle as we would like a huddle, and someone outside of the circle would have a frisbee in their hand, and we would we would bend forward with our you know, our behind sticking out, and someone would go around and just like hit all of our butts. Everyone in the middle would be like screaming ass paddle, like really loud. That was one of the ones that made Alana feel super uncomfortable, So like she ended up with a nickname that year was Alana I Don't Participate ten, which was really funny. Like there's like pictures and like other footage of her just like standing as still as possible during one of the cheers that made her uncomfortable, and like that was like one of the defining moments of a lon I'm.
Speaker 1: Kind of jealous of Alana's friend group. I always wished I had a group of friends to joke around and do sleepovers with. Instead. My loneliness continued throughout high school, where I put all my energy into getting good grades. Alana seems to have it all. A best friend sports community around this time. If you remember, Alana was fresh from her Catholic summer camp experience, the one that really made an impression on her. I asked me if she remembers if Alana's newfound religious devotion stood out.
Speaker 9: I first started to pick up on how religious Alana was when we went to travel tournaments. That was senior year of high school, so that was the first time our team was able to start traveling to tournaments to compete. And I had noticed this because she would, you know, wake up super early on like Sundays of a tournament and find a way to get to a church in the morning. And she might have been doing that with one other teammate, but for the most part, it just felt like she was doing that on her own because she chose to do it.
Speaker 1: Most kids and adults have to be forced to go to church, but Alana is choosing to go on her own by herself. I wonder what she's finding there that she isn't getting from her friends or her family.
Speaker 8: So Alana was like sneaking out to go to church. I think at one point she asked my mom to driver, and my mom was like, wait, why, you know, like she kind of caught on too, of like, I don't want to be sneaky here, but at the same time, it was like, but she's going to church, so it's probably not a big deal.
Speaker 1: It would happen like this every day after school. Alana would tell her parents she was going to Joys to study, and then either have Joy's mom drive her or take the thirty minute bus ride to Saint Thomas Aquinas Church. Saint Thom's the Catholic parish that sits in the middle of the University of Colorado Boulder campus. Not a small trek. It's funny to imagine a young girl sneaking out to go to church, but I can totally relate. I also went to daily Mass on the down low, and for me, it started after I met someone at church. Gosh, I haven't thought about him in a long time. His name was Father William, and he introduced me to a more serious practice of Catholicism. In my late teens, I met Father William when he came to say Mass at my college Catholic Center. He was short and trim, head, silver hair, a twinkle in his eye, and perfect teeth. He walked around campus in his tailored black cassock and white collar, like someone out of a nineteen forties Hollywood set. But the most striking thing about him was the way he said mass. He was betrayed and entered willingly into his passion. Father William would say each word deliberately, Take this, all of you, bow and raise his arms with careful precision, for this is my body which will be given up, and pause with dramatic flair as he held up the bread.
Speaker 6: He took bread, and, giving thanks, broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying take this.
Speaker 1: I was riveted. Compared to the priests I saw every Sunday growing up, Father William was not going through the motions. He meant every word of every prayer. One day, Father William came up to me and asked me if I'd ever considered the priesthood, that is, if I'd ever thought of becoming a priest. The thought had crossed my mind, as it does for many pious Catholic boys. But something about the way he asked me, the way he looked me in the eye, made me feel special chosen. I shyly said yeah, and he told me that if I was interested, we could meet to talk about that. I said, I'd think about it, and for the next few weeks I returned to Mass, excited to see Father William and hoping that he'd come and talk to me again. He did, and that year he became my spiritual father and spiritual director, meeting regularly with me to talk about what it would take to become a priest. For Alana, all this sneaking out to church was beginning to get to her. Joyce tells me about one morning when Alana came into her room and woke her up. She was in tears and wanted to talk.
Speaker 5: So and it was she came in a room I was half asleep, so it was early morning, and I remember I was like, well, and first my first thought was she was gonna tell me something bad, like what I did when I was teenagers drinking at fourteen.
Speaker 1: But Alana had something else to confess.
Speaker 5: She came in my room crying that she'd been lying to me. That she'd been taking the bus, saying she was a joys but every night about five o'clock, so it was a five point thirty Mass, but she was taking the bus to Saint Thom's which is on the hill, which is like college students partying. Some bad stuff happens there.
Speaker 1: She's glad that at least Ilana hadn't been sneaking out to party.
Speaker 5: Part of me was relieved, but then I said, wait, that's not good for you to go. It's dangerous, and you know, she was like, no, I'm sorry. I just I really want to go to Mass every day. And I was like why, like every day. I don't understand this, like and she was like, no, I just love it and I want to go to Mass every day. And then she said, I really want you to know. I really want you to watch this show that they showed us Oprah Went into a Convent.
Speaker 1: Oprah Went into a Convent. I don't remember seeing this episode when it aired, but the video is pure Oprah production value.
Speaker 6: Today, twenty two young women will begin their journey toward becoming a nun.
Speaker 5: I graduated from high school back in June.
Speaker 8: I guess I knew ever since I was really little, like, I never had any doubts that God was calling me. I've definitely thought about it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's it's crossed my mind a lot, being with Jesus the whole time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe twenty four to seven, I mean went better husband.
Speaker 1: Coprah cuts the shots of young nuns in their white habits, playing ball, hockey, riding bikes on the gorgeous green Convent acreage, and she interviews this beaming woman who's left behind a great career to become a nun. Where were you in your life when you realized you wanted to be married to Jesus Christ.
Speaker 10: I was sitting on my couch in my house and an apartment on the lake, and I was in front of my TV, and I had just finished decorating. And I looked at the stereo and I looked at the like my whole entertainment center. And I thought, and I said it out loud. I I usually don't talk to myself out loud. I said, I could give it up all tomorrow and it wouldn't mean a hill of beans.
Speaker 7: Really.
Speaker 10: I came to a point where I said, Okay, this is it, and if I know this is it, then I have to do it.
Speaker 5: And so she showed me the video. I'm half asleep. They were playing frisbee in their habits, and like she said, Mom, some of them were nurses and doctors and then now they're nuns and they're Look how happy they are and I just remember going no, no, no, Like inside, I was like m m no. And she was so young, so I was pretty shocked, you know. And then I just said I think I said, you can't take the bus anymore. If you want, I'll go. I don't think you need to go every day, you know. And she was upset with me. She was upset with me right away about my lack of enthusiasm and my judgment about the convent.
Speaker 1: As funny as nuns playing frisbee might sound, it's actually a powerful juxtaposition. Growing up, I tended to think of priests and nuns as these alien creatures who took on restrictive spiritual practices in order to be close to God. But discovering that they were real people who had regular jobs and played sports in their free time, made their callings suddenly a lot more accessible, Like maybe I could do that too. Alana's desire to be a nun would be the source of many fights with her mom. Over church.
Speaker 5: I ran into Joy's mom and she said, oh my god, you must be so happy Eleanna wants to be a nun. And I was like what. I was like, what are you talking about? And I'm not happy? What you're telling me, And I'm like, Debbie, she's thirteen, she's fourteen, what are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: Like, her friend Joy remembers when this happened, how Alana was really mad at her mom for not letting her go to church by herself.
Speaker 8: You know, it's kind of this adolescent like parents don't get it, and it was just so confusing for all of us because the limits that they were setting were around church and for us it was like curfew, you know, like spending time with boys. And I just think we didn't get that, you know.
Speaker 1: Even still, Joe reflects on how much she looked up to Alana.
Speaker 8: For better or for worse. Alana was always my moral compass. You know, if I made a joke at someone's expense, I would just think like, Elana wouldn't do that. She was so kind of rooted in her values and thoughtful. Like, looking back, it's actually kind of you know, I work with kids and teenagers now, and knowing what I know about child adolescent development, it's like remarkable.
Speaker 1: It sounds like Alana was a kind of role model for a lot of her friends. I ask Joy if Alana would ever talk about her own struggles.
Speaker 8: We would talk about difficult things in her life. And I don't know if that's because she asked or because I would ask. You know, obviously I'm a therapist now and I had I think some of those bends back then. And maybe Alana and I did a little bit of that together of like we're going to be stayle and supportive for other people and not as much for ourselves. So maybe we influenced each other in that way. But we did certainly talk about stuff going on with her family, So.
Speaker 1: What was going on with her family? The fact is, even before Alana was born, things between Mike and Joyce weren't going well. I'm with Joyce and she's cleaning up after making me that sandwich.
Speaker 5: When Sammy was little, I wound up in the safe house within ten month old for a month, and then I got all kinds of services and then a legal separation.
Speaker 1: After a period of separation, Joyce moved back in with Mike.
Speaker 5: Then I moved. I wound up going in the house with him.
Speaker 6: Oh right, yeah.
Speaker 5: Right after that I had we had another incident.
Speaker 6: She just was like this for thirty let's kickers two years.
Speaker 1: As their family grew, things stabilized relatively speaking. I reached out to Mike, but he didn't answer my calls. I'm sure I don't have the complete picture of their troubles, but needless to say, their marriage was rocky. It strikes me how open Joyce is.
Speaker 5: They had like five marriage counselors.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've known each other for now almost two years and just recently in person, but she doesn't hold anything back. She speaks with this kind of earnest energy, like she wants me to know everything about her life so that I can better understand Ala. Joyce reflects on how her marriage might have impacted Alana.
Speaker 5: She wrote, it's in her journal, and she was always scared I was leaving. I know. I mean I think that's why sometimes I'm so guilty, because there's so many things that.
Speaker 6: Her spirit soul was. It was scared.
Speaker 1: I talked to Alana's younger sister, Sophia. She remembers this time well, when they were young girls and Alana wanted to be a nun.
Speaker 11: We definitely were very shocked. I just remember I was like, it's my sister. I love her and I'm going to support her, but it was still oddic. I remember they were in my mother's room once in their arguing, that conversation was getting pretty heated and my sister was getting upset, so I stepped in. And I often felt like a big sister to her sometimes because not because I was more mature, because I wasn't, but I was a lot more vocal, and I remember telling my mom. I was like, if this is what she wants to do, this is what she wants to do.
Speaker 1: And Sofia begins to notice changes in Alana's appearance.
Speaker 11: As she got more involved in the church. She started dealing down her wardrobe, really conservative skirts, no makeup, really long sleeves, everything was covered.
Speaker 1: She even stopped wearing bathing suits and would go into the water with a T shirt on. This new image was in stark contrast to her earlier style of neon pink tops, red shoes, and Barett's in her hair. I've shared how I got interested in becoming a priest, but I wonder how Alana first got the idea to become a nun, as it lily didn't come from her upbringing. Was it just the Oprah video? Did the desire come from God himself? A mysterious calling, as we learned in Sunday School. I figured she must have confided in somebody at church at that time, so I reached out to Judy, her middle school youth group leader at Saint Thom's.
Speaker 3: Alana always had that It's hard to explain just that light of Christ in my mind. She just lit up, just this radiant being and that I just I remember from that point on, I just thought she is so lucky. You know, she knows God at such a young age. I mean, I don't know very many girls that want to be a nun.
Speaker 5: That was unusual.
Speaker 1: It was unusual, but as her youth group leader, Judy was secretly rooting for.
Speaker 3: It, and she said her mother didn't want her to be in I'm kind of in the middle here going I love it. I kind of want you to be a nun, but I've got to respect Joyce. I remember I wanted to be a nun, so maybe that was part of my heart. You know. Saint Therez was like what fourteen when she entered the convent, and you know, I just thought, if that's where your heart is, follow it, don't let anyone tell you no, you can't do that, because God's the most important. The other side of me said, you know, God's not going to let go if she really has it. So I said, you don't just keep praying and walking that way, and your mom will understand eventually if this is what you really want to do.
Speaker 1: Back at the apartment, Joyce shows me the earliest journal she can find.
Speaker 5: She left all were in that bin.
Speaker 1: It opens with a sort of list of instructions that Alana wrote to herself.
Speaker 5: You tape, never glue stick this notebook. Do not waste space.
Speaker 1: Keep in mind dates altas dense and neat. Writing packs every line of the spiral ring notebook true to form. She doesn't waste any inch of space.
Speaker 5: The notebook marks a new beginning. Today is May first, twenty thirteen. This is the month devoted to the blessed Virgin Mary. This notebook and all its contents, thoughts, less pictures, prayers, are devoted to Mama Mary to be handed over completely to Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: We turn the page to find a sort of spiritual recap.
Speaker 5: I saw a girl who loved Jesus as if he were her husband. I wanted that love. I decided I would follow Jesus from that moment. Until then, I did not know Nuns still existed. I had many questions, what do they do? What is their purpose? Why doesn't every girl become a nun? How do I know?
Speaker 1: I'm called all very good questions, and then I find my answer.
Speaker 5: That very week, I was at Mass and our new parish priest pulled me aside and asked if I was discerning a religious vocation. He said the Holy Spirit inspired him to offer me spiritual direction. Eventually I accepted the offer.
Speaker 1: It was a new priest in town.
Speaker 5: He taught me to pray the Rosary. He taught me a method of mental prayer, and to go to confession more often. My parents thought it was weird that all of a sudden I was becoming more religious. When my mom found out that I wanted to be a nun, she was so mad and scared. I told this to my spiritual director, and I began volunteering twice a week at the MC Sisters in Denver. Father Dave, my spiritual director, helped me to find a lot of time to pray during the school year. Jesus told me to be patient and vigilant that year.
Speaker 1: From the news articles, I remember reading about a priest who had counseled Ilana throughout her teens, but this is the first mention I've seen of him by Ilana herself, and she takes him as a kind of sign from God. The same week she asked to be shown if she's called to be a nun. This priest, Father Dave Nix, appears and asks her exactly that it reminds me of my father William again Judy, Alana's youth group leader.
Speaker 3: And looking back on it, I just apologized to Joyce one hundred times. But her relationship with Father Nix, because she was so excited, she goes, he's my spiritual director, Nichael. What you know, teenager has a spiritual director, you know, and you know he would call her and talk to where you'd be with her, and he's trying to help her sort out whether or not she could. She really wanted to be a sister at that point, but I had it was so much There was so much more going.
Speaker 5: On that I was aware of.
Speaker 1: I'm starting to get a picture of what Alana might have found at church. It was probably a quiet place for her after a rowdy frisbee game and a refuge from her home when her parents were fighting. And it makes more sense now why her conviction to become a nun was so strong. Alana was being guided and coached by her spiritual father father Dave Nix. But what else was going on that Judy wasn't aware of? In an instant, I see how important Alana's own words and perspective are going to be if I'm going to find out what happened to her, I can't just rely on her family's observations or a few excerpts. Her journals are the primary sources of her inner life, and she's got nearly two dozen of them. I fly back to San Francisco. On the plane, I think about Alana and Joyce, joy and the frisbee team. What Alana went through in her early years, her sneaking out to go to church, and what she might have found there. I wonder if she would have related to God the same way I did. As a friend. I wish that I could talk to her. It's great to hear stories from her friends, and I can learn a lot from them. But I realize is that Alana's own journals are the closest thing to Alana that I'm going to get her thoughts in her own words. I called Joyce to talk to her about it. She's very protective of Alana's journals and has often said that they contain a lot of private details. She says she doesn't want to let them out of her sight.
Speaker 6: I get that.
Speaker 1: I decide I'm going to be direct, so I ask her if I can go through the journals page by page, maybe even photograph them, so that I can cross reference names and dates. I tell her that I need to know what's in those journals, because we need the truth as Alana saw it, to guide us.
Speaker 7: I wait.
Speaker 1: Their silence. Joyce asks me if i'll be careful with them, if I can do this at her apartment, of course, I say. She's quiet, and then she replies, Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 7: I will follow you, follow you wherever you might go.
Speaker 1: Next time, on Dear Alana.
Speaker 5: You're in here with my daughter, a minor. I imagine the door was shut. I don't know. I have no knowledge of this. I didn't give any consent. She's fourteen.
Speaker 1: Alana is asked to keep a secret that will tear her apart.
Speaker 7: I will follow her ever since you touched my head.
Speaker 1: Dear Alana was created, hosted, and written by me Simon kentfang And is a production of tenderfoot TV in association with a slapt Audio in the Center for Independent Documentary. It was produced by Laurie Puliski, who also composed the music. Executive producers are myself, Donald Albright, and Payne Lindsay. Our supervising producer is Tracy leeds Kaplan. Additional music by Makeup and Vanity, Set sales and distribution by iHeartMedia. Our credit song, I Will Follow You is by to Loose. Show notes and resources can be found on our website Dearlana dot com. If you enjoyed this episode, please take time to follow the show, rate and review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
Speaker 7: The notion to d Monson so highlove Me, Keep Me Away, Away from Long.
Speaker 1: Dear Alana is an eight part series released weekly. If you can't wait until next week, subscribe to tenderfoot Plus so you can binge the entire series right now. Add free head to Apple Podcasts or tenorfoot plus dot com to subscribe now.