Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin An iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Podcast, Welcome to you, and that's what you really miss podcast. I got my blood drawn this morning and I've only had one meal so far, and my brain is at half masked. Welcome Jenna.
Speaker 2: At half speed is better than my full speed, so.
Speaker 1: I've met a quarter speed. But hello everybody, and welcome. It is a very special, not very special episode, but it's an extra long episode that we watched yesterday.
Speaker 2: This is the longest episode in Glee her history.
Speaker 1: This is born this way and this is exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, iconic, some might say, I guess, so you know what's such. So one of our producers, Samantha, was talking about because we got asked in an Ama about what episode would we show Aliens, and she was saying she would show this episode because it has everything that glees about.
Speaker 1: Which is interesting because I feel like you and I were texting last night while we were watching this episode, thinking wow, this really I don't know that this moves the plot forward in any way. There's a lot happening, but it's very it's a very focused episode. It's on a standalone there's a lot in it in my memory, I liked it more, but I same. I appreciate this episode for everything I think. I and my expectation was high for this episode for some reason, and it's it didn't quite live up to it. But I understand the the excellence of this episode of what it does.
Speaker 2: It really is like a potpourri of Glee hits. You get musical theater, you get the most current pop songs. You know an affirming anthem. You have crazy storylines, you have new friendships, you have a great mashup there is.
Speaker 1: You have like representation. We talk about loving ourselves, we talk about being true to who we are. It is very Glee centric. I understand that. Let's just let's get into it, okay, So let's chat about it.
Speaker 2: So Season two, episode eighteen, Born this Way originally aired April twenty six, twenty eleven. In real life, we were actually in New York filming the season two finale, if.
Speaker 1: You want to call it filming. I think we worked about five minutes of that entire trip. It was really a wonderful trip I had. I can't actually talk about it. I know, I know. It was two days before mine and Harry's birthday in New York City before the royal wedding Cayton, Kate and Harry william I was like, what, where's my brain right now? Kate?
Speaker 2: There's two of us, so we make.
Speaker 1: Solid seventy five? Cool? Okay? So the number one song new number one song sn M by Rihana featuring Britney Spoo.
Speaker 2: Do you remember chrisp being asked an interview what song he wanted to do on Glee and he answered S and M by rihann And I'm sad that anything's possible. Yeah, I wish he had done that.
Speaker 1: Wow? What? Okay? Movie was Rio for a second week in the in a row?
Speaker 2: Have you watched it yet? Jenna?
Speaker 1: Who has time to watch a movie right now?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I'm watching mander Pump Rules right now. Okay. Yeah, So we'll get to New York when we're almost there, so we'll talk about all of our experiences. There's a lot of pup photos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we met the mayor, Mike Bloomberg and took a picture outside of Wicked with him. I don't even know why we did that.
Speaker 1: See, I don't remember being there for that.
Speaker 2: I do, Were you not there?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know there's no photoproof of it, so.
Speaker 2: We all look, we're all wearing random things. I don't know what.
Speaker 1: I think we were working. I think we came off set and we were and I think I went to see.
Speaker 2: We got a tour of the stage. I do remember that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've been on that Wicked stage so many times that I don't think I got a tour that night. I don't think I was there. I think I saw American idiot that night. Oh fair, But I could be wrong. This could be all wrong. Anyway, we'll get there. So Boring This Way is a ninety minute episode. It is directed by Alfonso Gomez Rejo and he is the best Fonsi's here. He has the coolest shots in this episode.
Speaker 2: I'm actually I can't believe like Alfonso had the longest. It probably makes sense, Alfonso, I think shoots more like a film. Yes, and this was a ninety minute episode, and so he could really just dig in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you know why you know it was ninety minutes?
Speaker 2: No? I do you?
Speaker 1: Ian Brennan could not remember. I will say that he did not remember. No, I don't know. Let's google this. Why was born this way? Clean?
Speaker 2: Ninety why you google that. I'm going to tell you some fun facts about this episode real quick, Okay. It's the only duet between Quinn and Rachel, the only duet we ever need.
Speaker 1: From Quinn and Rachel. That's so good.
Speaker 2: This is the second eighteenth episode of a season. Last season was laryngitis that portrays Rachel suffering from a physical condition or injury that may affect your voice. Approved, Glease you said born this Way before the song was even released, and that goes back to Gaga's team, probably when they showed Brad, Ryan and Ian her new music before it ever came out, which is wild. They're very smart. After the episode, Gaga tweeted, I really loved Glease Borne this Way episode. I admired the show for being brave and fighting for such modern social message never back down. Had you become friends with her yet, Jenna? No, but it was during this I had not because you were in married the night, right.
Speaker 1: That's right? So it say was very shortly after this that, yes, yes, it was shortly after. It was either twenty eleven or twenty twelve. It was somewhere in between. It. I think it was a little later than when this album came out, so I think Born this Way had to live its life. And then I and then I.
Speaker 2: Because I remember you telling you a story that when you went out with her, she was playing this album in the car. She was which respect because it's a flawless album.
Speaker 1: It's really suck.
Speaker 2: I also loved this. We were asked what we would put on our own T shirts like we do in the episode, and Diana said she would put nerd. Corey said dork, Chris said high pitched, Nia said loud, Mark said saw Jenna, You said shy, Amber said talked too much? And Leah said makes weird faces when she sings.
Speaker 1: Kevin? Where was yours?
Speaker 2: I don't know?
Speaker 1: Okay, what what would it be?
Speaker 2: Back then?
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I had lots of insecurities.
Speaker 1: Mmm, closet.
Speaker 2: Oh that's probably just gay now, probably like body dysmorphia. What would yours be now?
Speaker 1: Now? Oh my gosh, I think you know. Honestly, if you hadn't shown me that, I would have said introvert.
Speaker 2: But I mean I have never seen you be shy or like, I don't know what that looks like on you. Well, because you're obviously not like that with me, right, and then before I settings were around our friends, or if we're in a professional setting, you're not shy because you're working.
Speaker 1: Right, But if you put me in the middle of a Hollywood party, now, I hate small talk. Yeah, and I get socially anxiety, and I probably would have turned around in my car and gone before I got there, So I would have just avoided it before I got to that point. But fair, Okay, do you talk about the songs in this episode? Yeah, this is exciting. There has some really good songs in this episode.
Speaker 2: I get a longer version because we were filing some time time.
Speaker 1: That's right, I feel Pretty, I'm Pretty. It's a one to hands down one of my favorite matchups of the series.
Speaker 2: And I also think fans agree that seems to be a universally.
Speaker 1: Love loved number. This is on I play this regularly in the car, like Pretty Pretty, I've Got to Be Me That's in performs somewhere.
Speaker 2: Only we know which is top but two most streamed Glease songs on Spotify.
Speaker 1: I believe really on this album and this song is one of my favorites, and also the original.
Speaker 2: Is one of my favorite I'm a massive fan of Keen and that lead singer's voice is one of the best toys.
Speaker 1: As if we never say goodbye Born this Way and barboustreysand which such a weird memory of that song.
Speaker 2: You and I were talking last night and I was saying, I don't remember any of this episode. Well, I did, but it's one of the things where I was there were three minutes left in the episode, and I was like, Jenna, I don't speak in a ninety minute episode. I have not seen it. Like a word here I am. And then I say two words.
Speaker 1: What were your two words?
Speaker 2: I believe they were where's Santana? I was expensive that episode.
Speaker 1: There those two words. Damn yeah, I had a few more words this episode, you did?
Speaker 2: You had some crazy it's weird thing. Okay, let's talk. So a little summary of this episode will teach u the bak clup a valuable lesson about self acceptance and embracing what makes you unique. Meanwhile, Emma confronts her obsessive issues, Rachel struggle struggles with life altering decisions. Lauren and Quinn go toch Too for the promo. Queen Crown in Santana has something up her sleeve that could permanently alter the lee club dynamic and that's the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's enough for the series. Yes, okay, wow.
Speaker 2: I all the episode starts off with this whole thing about you know, there's this we're gonna we're having like booty camp where we're dancing to Brad at the piano and Finn is such a bad dancer injures Rachel and then she has to go to the doctor her nose is broken, and the doctor pitches like, hey, this could be a good time for you to get a little cosmetic work on your nose because it's not going to affect your voice. And then she goes back to the Glee club and was openly talking about this, and then Santana goes on one of the craziest rants I think in glee history, and you're watching it and it's so effortless for Nyam and at some point I just I turned to Austin, who's watching with me, was like, how does she not one of those lines is a normal thing anyone would say, and yet she probably did not mess up her lines once. No, And that is a long scene and it's going back and forth with her and other people chiming in yep, and she goes between saying some funny things to wildly offensive things. Her line to you was crazy.
Speaker 1: I mean, they're all crazy crazy, just say it's they're crazy.
Speaker 2: Did you ever wear colored contacts before after that in the show.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Only for this episode. This was a one off. I did wear a blue eye contacts and I thought it was so weird. But I guess they needed something. We could use something else. But it's okay.
Speaker 2: Tina has this whole moral arc that we don't see.
Speaker 1: We just hear about it. We just hear it. Yeah, but yeah, yes, you're right. Naya's monologue is inappropriate yet seamless, and she really gives it to everybody. And I remember when we were shooting this, we were all kind of like like, because there's some truth to it, there's not truth to it, but it's calling us out on things that I don't know. It's very strange. But all to say will is like wait, wait, wait all you guys, especially Rachel who's thinking about getting a nose job. You know, the thing you want to change about yourself is the most interesting part about you that's hard to digest sometimes.
Speaker 2: Still, it was also at it this point in the episode, I was like, wait, born this way about Rachel getting a nose job. I was like, this whole song represents it's not a nose job, right, you know, right. But when you have a show that is so I think queer friendly and forward, that you have to go to these other storylines to make Bourne the Sway work, I was like, that's pretty impressive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, definitely, but you do.
Speaker 2: Have an LGBT storyline in here with's crossing Santana, but we do. You don't even have to really address the Kurt Blaine stuff because they're one of the most popular, hands down couples and characters on the show and in TV history.
Speaker 1: So meanwhile, Will is telling the kids that due to their their need to change themselves or whatever they find and their insecurities, that we're going to have an assignment this week that's all about acceptance and that he wants us to sing songs about accepting ourselves. He's also helping Emma deal with her quote unquote OCD that she does not quite announce or accept yet as well. And Emma comes in and she she brings her shirt as the example, and she she says ginger and we're all like Will, Will's is pretty disappointed, but we get one of the best Emma lines of the series. I claim my gingerhood before you today. I was born in this way. Hooray, hooray, hooray.
Speaker 2: That hooray gave me Joey the comeback style or Michael Scott level of anxiety and uncomfortableness. Because it's so slow and everyone's like.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Is so good?
Speaker 1: I'm trying not to laugh.
Speaker 2: I also love that once again Schuster doesn't really have a lesson plan, and then when he's talking to him in her office, She's like, I wasn't born this way.
Speaker 1: He's like, or there it is on the day we see the realization happen every week. Yeah, and then we break into so Rachel brings Quinn to the doctor with her because she wants the doctor to show her what her nose could look like after the surgery if she were to get it, and Mike just it's gonna be Quintin's right. I'm just alarmed at the doctor pushing this surgery on her so offensively.
Speaker 2: I think that common yea, because I feel like, if you're I mean maybe now, but I feel like back then or slightly before, you would see I would see hear stories like this all the time because it's their job. They want people to do it, and people are coming in to get these smaller noses, and so they're probably very desensitized to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it's offensive still, but they they sing I feel pretty, I'm pretty. It just makes me feel so good. I mean, I just love this song so much.
Speaker 2: It's like catnip, like it just needs to just put it on loop. Yes, I will listen to it all day today. They sound so good together this mash It fits both of their They have completely different voices, and it fits both their voices in different ways like compliments their abilities and not. Yeah, and it's also just a great mashup you hear on this show when some mashups, some songs don't organically fit together as well as these.
Speaker 1: Two should, and these two they really do. It's just a perfect I think it's a perfect mashup. I'm thinking, oh, why don't we have more Rachel and Quinn duets? But this is perfect, Like, don't mess with the with the perfection of this duet.
Speaker 2: Which is surprising because I feel like when you're doing when you're doing twenty episodes a year, you got to keep thinking of things to fill up the time and entertain people. When you do something that is so wildly successful.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you do more?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But they didn't and they just left it and it's sort of beautiful. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, well, Finn doesn't like that Quinn is helping Rachel. He feels like this is the opposite of the week's last And in the Glee Club and that really cool shot of or seeing of Finn and Quinn in the lockers that again is like the quintessential Fonsie director shots that you don't normally see on the show. But you're like, that was cool. And then Finn performs I've Got to Be Me in the in the Glee Club and it is just the cutest, sweetest muffin dancing or attempting to dance number that you could ever see.
Speaker 2: Has anyone ever been more charming?
Speaker 1: Nope? Nope And and with Harry too another just charmer. It's just the sweetest number. I really, it makes me so happy. Yeah, the more I talk.
Speaker 2: About this episode, you know what I think it was so I think the extendedness of it mm hmm is the thing that, like the pacing was different than normal Glee episode. Normally things happen very very quickly, and because things could breathe, you could add in the second verse of a song. It felt almost slow to me, And so I think for me, had this been condensed to a sixty minute episode, it probably would have been fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, I hear you, that makes sense. I agree with you. Yeah, okay, But.
Speaker 2: That's not to say it's not great because you do get no more of everyone. I think we're just it happens.
Speaker 1: It just a lot happens, I think, and if you isolate them, you're like, oh, it's really great. Yeah, there's a lot of It's.
Speaker 2: Sort of like a little Glee movie, Like this is sort of what you would.
Speaker 1: Be like if there were a movie Clee three D not that movie, right, and sweet fin asking if he's getting better dancing. Okay, So Rachel comes in and she's showing everybody the compositions of what she'd look like. But it's essentially I mean, it's not essentially. It is a photoshop of Diana and Diana's nose and LEAs how weird.
Speaker 2: It's so weird, and I felt about that.
Speaker 1: I know, I think they all were like, this is weird. This is just weird, and this is where we find Tina's very short arc of saying that her her self Rachel's self hatred has inspired her to love herself and become the change that she wants to see and very good. Yeah, well done for Tina. Okay, there are some works that I'm proud of. There are some works that I'm not proud of, the latter being the majority. But I this is just something that I was like, I think I had a lot to do in this episode, but it didn't really make sense to me.
Speaker 2: You were an important and vital part of the storyline, Jenna, Thank you so much. I do love the Puck storms into the girl's bathroom like it's nothing and then tries to talk Rachel out of it.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's cute. You just don't see Puck trying to fix things often and to just do kind of the opposite of what he's you know, woman eyes.
Speaker 2: And I don't think it necessarily realize this when we were filming all this, but Puck's transformation since being with and around laurences ICs is really sort of a magical thing. The last episode he was had like a shady and grin on his face. The entire time because he's happy. And I don't know if that was written that way or Mark has decided to do that, but I think it's working very well.
Speaker 1: It is working, and it just makes him less one dimensional as a character, you know, kind of this like punk you know, I appreciated it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it sort of makes me feel like it's sort of the punk reprieve where probably outside of that classroom, though we're not seeing it, he may be acting the same, and then everybody in that classroom is different because they're comfortable and safe with each other, which is obviously the point of the show. Profound Kevin Profound, just realizing that in episode eighteen two, after being.
Speaker 3: On my show Smart twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: Okay, so okay, Kurt does this Barbera vention and saying that he would it would you would be doing a disservice to Barbara if you get if Rachel gets a nose job, So we do Barbra streisand by Duck Sauce in the is it du Sauce?
Speaker 2: Yes, and where we talked about if something works, you do it again.
Speaker 1: It literally looks like safety Dance without Safety Dance. Yes, I was just confused. I also, what did we do in them all that day? Did we do anything?
Speaker 2: I don't know? Was I in this yes?
Speaker 1: Kevin, Oh my god, the same question because I fast forwarded this numb. I did not love. I do not love this song. So it just it wasn't something for me that I wanted to.
Speaker 2: I don't hate this one. I would have preferred it if like they were singing it and a lot of singing. But even.
Speaker 1: I will say a lot of a lot of our cast members looked like they were having a really fun time. Yeah, it's because we had zero to do, zero responsibility. When there's zero responsibility, you can just fus around and probably get in trouble for it. But it was fun.
Speaker 2: I think because of that, that's when we went and rated Target.
Speaker 1: That's what I was saying. Maybe it was this one. I think there was this one because there wasn't a lot to do, so you just kind of sit your trailer and they had like a whole scene before and so we were in then, and so lots of time. Anyway, Uh, well, can we talk about this Emma's therapy session?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I okay, I have lots of thoughts about the MMA storyline in general.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I Will say that I really enjoyed the scene because we got to see Jama acting zone.
Speaker 2: And it's great scene.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a really well written scene. I thought the message was clear. I thought it was really well done, and I feel like it was a really it is the what's the word I'm looking for. It's not the pinnacle, but it is the central theme of the episode is in this scene.
Speaker 2: It's that thing that we point out where as crazy and silly as everything can be in a Glee episode, you usually do have one scene where the serious subtext of the episode comes out and sort of grounds the show. And Yeah, that's absolutely this scene. It's like, Oh, the adults are in the room and we're talking about adult things and the adults.
Speaker 1: Are acting right right, people are acting.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it was phenomenal because I think my sort of like is this okay? Was sort of how Will was talking to and about her Emma and her OCD, where I get he was getting frustrated with her, but the way he was sort of just flippantly talking about it and giving her shit for something that is really out of her control made me, in twenty twenty three angry. Yeah, it's just uncomfortable, Like that's not how you speak to people, especially if you're trying to help them.
Speaker 1: Well. In truth though, let's get real for a minute. In truth though, don't you think that people who are going through things like Emma was going through in this episode, people probably do talk to people that way?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they probably do better.
Speaker 1: Right, And now it's like it's not will that we you know, obviously hold her to a higher card, but like it's it's definitely something that I'm sure people deal with. It's like just oh, just get over it or like, you know, you're not you're not facing your you know, issues, Like it's not that easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right. And I also think he's probably the one who can say that, say in that way and she won't completely write him off and will hear him right, Like he should choose tough love stuff.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: How good was Jaymon that scene?
Speaker 1: I was floored. I feel like I didn't I didn't. I don't remember that scene. I didn't see it coming.
Speaker 2: And it was really well tough because this up of it too, it starts with like, oh, this is the normal sort of Jama deflecting, Emma deflecting. There's some comedy you know, it's like, oh, you've spent the entire hour disaffecting the chair, ha ha ha, and then very quickly that the ship turns and you're like, oh, oh man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Emma then does reveal that she comes. She's wearing her O C D shirt. She's started taking these meds and it's it's she's really taking steps to help her heal right, uh, and Will is super provagally club. We all have our shirts on, already has four eyes, Brittany's with I'm with Stupid with the word zero, Finn can't dance, Kurt likes boys, Lauren bad attitude, Mercedes no weave, Mike can't sing, Puck, I'm with Stupid Downward and Lucy Kaboozi for Quinn, trotty mouth for Sam, bitch lebonese for Santana, brown eyes for Tina Os Emma nose for Rachel who decides that she's not going to get a nose job hooray, and Will with butt chin and then we sing Boring this Way, which we also do on tour. This choreo was really fun.
Speaker 2: It looked very complicated.
Speaker 1: It did look complicated, it was not, but it was looked complicated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the words were more complicated than the choreography in this number. I also thought it was one of those times where it's like, oh, we're not the cleanest dancers, are we.
Speaker 1: I think they have accepted it at this point that we're that we're not supposed to be the cleanest dancers.
Speaker 2: So one I don't think that's happening in this episode is Santana has like a two pronged approach to getting what she wants. She comes up with a plan to win Brittany and become prom Queen and get Kurt back, all at the same time with this weird plan that involves Korofsky, which was hilarious and weird and uncomfortable total. I was like, what is happening? So she realizes that if she can win prom Queen, she can win Brittany's love because she'll just tell her it's the lot of the land and they have to be together and she'll believe it. And she realizes she needs a jock to get boats and Sam doesn't have enough heat, but Kofski does. Sam does this. You know, Core does the Sean Connery impression in the hallway, which is great. I love when they start sprinkling all these in because he's just a beast.
Speaker 1: Except when he when they sprinkle in ones that he says, but he like, didn't master yet, and then he's like, I can't just do that.
Speaker 2: But he does. Yes, he does have the self doubt that should be on his T shirt. So Santana catches Kofski in the hallway checking out Sam's but we all have yeah been there, and Santana says, holy crap, I'm a closet lesbian and a judgmental bitch, which means one thing, I have awesome Gatar. And so Satana, Mercedes, and Tina get coffee with Kurt and Blaine, who say that Kurt they wish Kirk would go back to McKinley if it weren't for a Koski, And that's when Santana's like, oh, let's just make this a four to four for one. I'm gonna get Kurt back here. This scene between I mean Nya and Max is also one of my favorite scenes of this entire episode MM because she calls him out. He's the only person who could put who has ever put him in his place? Is Santana. Now for a couple episodes running and like you can't verbally keep up with her. No one's going to outdo her because one what she's saying is true, and two she's already eight steps ahead of you. And it's not a bad plan for them to be beards for each other.
Speaker 1: It's not. So Krafsky is like basically back into a corner because otherwise he's outed, and and that's the end of it. So he he comes in and he apologizes cilcly club, saying that he's sorry for how he treated kurtin how he slushied all of us when that very funny slushy flashback montage.
Speaker 2: Do you remember filming that scene? No, I just do you. So the thing is like, I don't know if people I don't even think about this, But when you have characters come into the room, the choir room, especially that aren't normally there, m it feels like it's scripted, like it feels how it does in the script where it feels weird, like why is Kurowski here? It feels very much like this is weird? Why is this character? Like Max is in the choir room and figgins yes and like leading a talk where Shoe normally stands or Rachel says some crazy shit. It does feel weird in real life too, right, right, It's like anytime Jane would come in, you're like.
Speaker 1: She's that's right, just as so tall Yes, and so Santana's mouthing the speech.
Speaker 2: I do love them together. It's really funny.
Speaker 1: I think it's really funny.
Speaker 2: Santana pulling the strings is always really good.
Speaker 1: Yes, and she announces them. Then obviously they've created this this new group called the Bully Whips. But then something happened, something crazy love. Uh. That scene is really great. I don't remember shooting it, but.
Speaker 2: I just remember I think we were all a bit we were laughing and uncomfortable because it's so it's how it actually felt. One of those times we don't have to really act.
Speaker 1: Right and and people are still we're still upset about it. But Burt and Kurt are back at McKinley and they're talking with Krofsky and his dad with Figgins, and I guess Will has to be there, and Bert's angry and and Kurt basically asked to speak to Krofsky alone because he knows something's going on. He's like, what what's happening here? And so Krofsky tells him about Santana and Santana and he's like, well, I'm he's impressed by Santana's is it, Lady macbeth It was some some play on Lady Lady mcbethian, I think you're he's repulsed and impressed.
Speaker 2: Let's buy it.
Speaker 1: And so Kurt says that he can come to back to McKinley, or he can tell everyone about Krofsky, and so they they decide to come back. He's back at McKinley and Bert tells Finn to watch out for his brother.
Speaker 2: Cute.
Speaker 1: Cute.
Speaker 2: I also love that Kurt. You know, part of the conditions of him coming back was that Krowsky and he had to start a chapter of P Flag and then had to which is also like shout out to p Flag. They put this in the episode that borne this way episode like it was very smart and yeah, great and it's now another secret Kowski and Kurt Cher, which I also find interesting where yeah, you're right, the person that can threaten you, the person you've been like hating on the most, is also the person that's in control of what happens to your secret. I didn't think that went through. No you did not. So Kurt's back.
Speaker 1: Kurt's back, and the new directions help the Warblers. The Warblers say goodbye to Kurt, but going back for one second. Okay, we found it. Santa told us. Kurt says in that scene, I'm both repulsed and impressed by her. Lady Macbethy and ways hmm a Latina Eve Harrington and Kowsky looks confused, and then Kurt says, if you're going to be gay, you gotta know, you gotta know this. It's funny, so quick, so good. Okay, So we Blaine is going to perform with the war Blur's going to perform someone or somewhere only we know in the courtyard. I remember doing this number in the courtyard, and I don't remember them doing this. I don't remember them. This was in the in the shoot or in their script. And so I see like the work for the next day, and I'm like, oh my god, we're doing some somewhere only we know. And I was just so excited. Sometimes like things slipped my We were doing a lot. This is a big episode, but I was very excited by it. And we are in the courtyard.
Speaker 2: I do you texted me and you go. Chris crying in the courtyard is why he has his golden globe.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just so simple, and yet he's acting zone and everybody saying goodbye. I got emotional. I thought it was really sweet. I really I really like this number.
Speaker 2: Selfishly, I was just glad Chris is back with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure, for sure he back, he back and and yes, and that's and then Chris Colferd takes the MVP because of it. Brittany makes Santana a custom shirt that she thinks is lesbian but it's Lebanese, and Santana and her have this crazy scene where she's like, I'm not wearing this and I'm not coming out and also I'm not wearing this shirt because I said I loved you and you didn't say you love me back, and.
Speaker 2: Brittany says she's bite curious. Mm hmm, that's right.
Speaker 1: And uh again, we have another Britanna scene that's like, it's just oh, they're always so powerful, even when they're like yeah, two or four lines, it's like, yeah, get together, y'all, just get together. So Santana sits out of the board this way performer, she's not there.
Speaker 2: We passed. The Bechdel test is that he pronounced it. The Bechdel what. It's a test that they do for movies where if there's two female characters speaking to one another and it's not about a man. Mmmmm, yes, I'm sure there's so we passed that with Flying Colors few. There's a video on TikTok also going around where it's like Harry Potter doesn't pass it the entire series.
Speaker 1: Well, it is about Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Harry Potter hits women.
Speaker 1: So wow.
Speaker 2: So the other great crazy storyline of this is Lauren decides she wants to be prom queen and needs to take Quinn down in order to do it, and Quinn is obviously not happy about it. She's not furious about it. But what happens is Lauren in the hallway calls Quinn Lucy and stops her dead in her tracks and they have this, oh, such a good scene, amazing scene where you know, after Quinn has been encouraging Rachel to get a nose job and change what she wants about herself, Quinn reveals this whole storyline that we did not know about.
Speaker 1: She was Lucy Kabousie. She changed her name. Her name was Her real name is Lucy q for Bray, which Zic's found that there was no record of a Quinn for Bray because it was Lucy cute and she was a bit overweight, she had a different nose, glasses, maybe braces. Can't remember. But she's also really cute in this spot, it.
Speaker 2: Was so cute. Did you remind you of the Friends?
Speaker 1: Yes, totally totally Monica, but she's so cute in this foot in sic things. Sic thinks that this is gonna take her down and actually a backfires and Quinn people are seeing are rooting for Lusika Busy. They're onboard. She's up in the poles. But the sweet that scene was just so sweet. Diana acting zone, Lauren acting zone so funny and they're good to go.
Speaker 2: Actually being part of the Glee Club has really been a nice switch up edition and like she brings something completely different her acting style, character, it's really nice. And every time she's on screen and it has more to say, I get really excited.
Speaker 1: And her facial expressions are so funny.
Speaker 2: Yes, the comical, and I do think one of the requirements for being ugly is being able to seamlessly switch between comedy and drama within a couple of lines, and Ashley does that in every single scene. You're like, is this insane or is this sincere? I don't know, but it's great and I buy it regardless, totally. I mean, and that is sort of I mean, that's not just it, that's it. That's the episode. There is a lot happening, a lot happening.
Speaker 1: But overall, yeah, I think they all tie into one another in this central theme of you know, loving yourself and accepting yourself for who you are and all the parts. And yes, I know I said this episode I was a little disappointed, but I think it was just my expectation was different. It wasn't even high, it was different. I don't think I remembered this episode completely.
Speaker 2: I completely agree with you. Yeah, I think the only thing ingrained in my head because we did it on tour, which is a recurrent theme with us, and so that's what I imagine. The whole episode was like that performance. Yes, me too, which makes no sense. It's because we did the tour. That's why we did the t shirts and everything, and that's why this is so fun for us, because like we can go back and actually watch these things and reframe instead of our memory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, exactly. Should we do some tardy takes.
Speaker 2: Let's Jenna, do you have any cringe moments?
Speaker 1: You know? The Santana monologue in the beginning is seamless as naimate it. It's quite inappropriate. Yeah, yeah, what about you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that whole, the whole, like racist Asian stuff that was happening during that made me really uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: And then also, no, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, best dance move.
Speaker 1: I mean I think it. I think it's Corey.
Speaker 2: Also Born this way was great.
Speaker 1: You're right, and you're right. I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: It could be a tie. They're very different, ok Best song pretty un pretty? Yeah, pretty unpretty for sure.
Speaker 1: Performance my prop, my blue context.
Speaker 2: And the T shirts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the best line. I think I've got a gay. I got a gay.
Speaker 2: Go it's very good.
Speaker 1: I like gasped when I watched it. Yeah, performance, MVP, I gotta say, I think it's I don't know what about What are you gonna say?
Speaker 2: Oh? I just for the therapy scene alone. Yeah, it's Jaima and shout out to Kathleen Quinlan, who plays doctor Shane because those two together all stars.
Speaker 3: Chris also gave me an yeah yeah, I mean everyone's really showing up truly except Artie and Tina.
Speaker 2: You know what I think, I I think I do really like this episode.
Speaker 1: You know me too.
Speaker 2: We've just spent forty five I've been it's talking ourselves into it, con.
Speaker 1: Ourselves of this opposite. No no, no, okay.
Speaker 2: Well done Brad, Ryan and Ian.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, very good, very very good.
Speaker 2: So shit we found on TikTok this week is one of my favorites. It's raining men. Raina on TikTok posted this incredible. It's a wild chart that I saw last week week before of political identities of twelfth grade boys from nineteen seventy five to present day and in two thousand and ten ish there's this spike in liberalism. And she goes sound to say it's because she's like a lot of people think it's because of Obama was in office. But that's been Glee premiered, and I don't want to fact check it. I'm not interested in seeing if it's right. I'm just going to accept it as fact and believe it. It is hilarious. Go watch it. It's twenty eight seconds, and.
Speaker 1: I love that. I'll take it. I'm gonna believe it is Glee.
Speaker 2: Right, it's a wonderful, wonderful little TikTok. Thank you for making that and tagging us in it. Yes, I mean it's two of my favorite things, political commentary and Glee combined. Give me more of these. Yes, some of these comments are also great.
Speaker 1: I don't read the comments.
Speaker 2: Someone said, I love statistics, but I'm willing to unlearn it to believe this correlation is the new causation. To be honest, I'm so glad to have this info. See some of these comments. I always read the comments on other people's videos. Okay, it helps you give context because sometimes I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Fair enough. Well, thanks for joining us listening to our riveting recap of born Sway.
Speaker 2: Jenna, do you know what's next week?
Speaker 1: What is next week?
Speaker 2: Rumors? Oh crap, Christian Channa, it's Fleetwood Mac. It's all happening.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the Fleetwood Mac tribute episode. It happened so quickly after doing Landslide. I don't feel like I remember.
Speaker 2: That because he probably inspired them, you know, Stevie's for the right. Yeah, exactly go for it. Oh, thank you for joining us on this extra long episode of Glee. See you next week, and that's what Julia they missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.