Speaker 1: Hey, what's up everybody? Welcome to the God the Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always, and joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's upman? How are you doing tonight?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. We've got a lot of Chargers needs to get into.
Speaker 1: Let's do it, Yes, we do. We definitely have a lot to dive in today. Obviously, the Chargers have released their initial fifty three man roster, did a lot of cuts today, did a trade yesterday which we'll dive into. Lots to really break down here before we get started. Obviously, as always, Tyler and I are fans of the team, just like you guys. We are very fortunate to have this platform and very grateful for it. That being said, the opinions that we express on this show and every show are not always reflective of the Chargers organization. They are ours and ours alone. And yeah, let's dive into this Tyler. Before we get started, I do want to say, first of all, I think there's a lot of dehumanizing that goes on with these with this day in particular, you know, there was you know, this is a rough day for a lot of guys. You know, players are losing their jobs and potentially moving cities. And you know, a guy like Dustin Hopkins in particular, gets you know, traded from Los Angeles to Cleveland and has to uphurd his family and then got a kid on the way. So as people want to take the people who are leaving the Chargers organization, hopefully some of you are able to come back. But wish you nothing but the best wherever you end up, and hopefully you get back on your feet as so many players have done, you know, getting cut and coming back and having a great career. So hopefully all of you guys that are maybe a little dark today end up in a more positive light down the rope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's not the end all be all right. Adrian Phillips was cut what ten different times by the Chargers. They end up getting you know, Pro Bowl honors a few years in still with the Patriots going strong over there, so you know, hopefully these guys find other opportunities. It's tough you root for guys to win jobs, but if guys win jobs, someone's kind of losing that job, which is very unfortunate. So happy for the guys who made it, of course, who are sticking around, or at least for an hour sticking around. But I'll always keep the guys that are cut, that are traded, et cetera in my thoughts and prayers and hearts and all that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, percent, all right, we'll go position by position at some point, But a lot to dive into here, Tyler. What was your biggest takeaway, biggest surprise? What's kind of your your broad view of the Chargers roster from today as they cut it from ninety to fifty three.
Speaker 2: It was tough to see so many guys go in such a quick fashion. It's what's a thousand or six hundred something people or whatever it is that are suddenly just looking for a new team. So it was a lot to see so many guys just go so quickly, which I'm not used to. I'll start with the positive surprise, which is Elijah Dotson, a guy who you and I would have loved to in a parallel universe have put him on our initial you know, fifty three that we would have guessed for the Chargers' initial fifty three, But it just felt like okay for running backs? How do you justify that? How do you work that? But it's nothing because of you know, what he did in the preseason. He was outstanding of all the bubble guys, there's not a bubble guy who deserved to be on the roster more of those bubble guys because of how he performed Austin Eckler. I went back and looked Austin Eckler in twenty seventeen as a rookie his preseason one hundred and fifty nine total yards. Elijah Dotson very close with one fifty five. It was almost exact. I would have freaked out if it were exact. But he deserved to be out there. He looked fantastic as soon as they gave him the opportunity, and then the RB four spot, he took it and never let go. So to me, while that isn't the biggest surprise, it is certainly the most pleasant surprise, I think because he's awesome and charges fans have loved watching him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think everybody you know listening to this would have advocated for Elijah making the roster, and I think, like you mentioned, I think he deserved it. But rationally, it was hard for me to justify keeping a fourth running back on my prediction list, and people were like, oh, you got to keep dots, and I was like, I agree, but like, this is a prediction video that we did, and you know, obviously we were wrong in that regard and very happy to be wrong with Elijah Dotson because he has earned it, and you know, stories like his are kind of what the NFL is about. You know, this is a guy who had to transfer schools to seek out the best opportunity, and it was still a smaller school. You know, he comes undrafted. After the draft, he was quoted as saying that the Chargers were really the team that was most interested in him, and really almost the only team that was interested in him. And so he gets his chance with the Chargers, and initially it was kind of a slow opportunity. It really wasn't until that first preseason game that the Chargers were like, hey, like, let's get this guy a bigger shot, obviously moving on from Larry Rountree, who's on the Texans right now and probably looking for a practice squad spot with the Texans. So Dowson gets his chance and he rewards them. And you know, I said after the Saints game that I happened to like the Saints game more than the then the Rams game, because I thought it really showed off more of his arsenal as a running back. And so he's absolutely earned this chance, and we acknowledged as much that he was, like you mentioned, the best Bubble player in terms of the preseason performances, but just kind of doubted that the Chargers would actually keep it forth running back and turns out they are. So I think that's the right place to start with Elijah Dotson, who was definitely a fan favorite, you know, getting his opportunity to make the Charger fifty three man roster and hopefully he's around to state because I think he showed enough good signs in the preseason that I think if they had decided to cut him, I think he would have been claimed because he was one of the best running backs in the league in the preseason games. So very well deserved opportunity for him, and I'm excited to see how this turns out for mister Elijah Dotson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're looking at the rookie running backs, I believe he was third in rushing yards and first in yards per attempt, and I think by quite a bit. So even if you're not paying attention to the games themselves. If you're any GM or personnel manager who flips on the stat sheet, hello, you know, I'll take the rookie who led the NFL all rookies in rushing yards or yards per attempt, so totally get it. You know, some of these moves are also, you know, partially defensive as much as they are just you know, retaining the guy's shirt, but it's also kind of like a defensive thing. Hey, we want to make sure we get this guy, and then you know, when a lot of other stuff happens and rosters are more set, you know, maybe we move on different things. So we'll see, you know, how long he sticks on this four He could be sort of you know, we thought the sixth wide receiver that we had Keelan Doss making it was just kind of the placeholder until jillen Geiden came off the pup list. Elijah Dotson could be that placeholder. But for now he's got games. He's made the active roster or the initial roster. Excuse me, and good for him. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for me the biggest positive surprise because we'll get to some other surprises too. It has to be Aj Finley. I like he was the guy that you and I both really liked. You know, he was our top free agent in terms of the undrafted guys to to, you know, come to an agreement with the Chargers. We really liked his film at Ole Miss and I really liked his traits, and we had him making our initial pre training camp roster because we really felt strongly about what he would be able to do given the opportunity. But we didn't really hear much about him getting a real opportunity. You know. It was almost always Mark Webb who was released from Raheem Laine who did make the roster, who were working ahead of him on the depth chart, and even after you know, although he had a little bit of that injury, you know, AJ Finley didn't necessarily get a ton more opportunities. But he must have made quite an impression because he makes this roster. So I'm not necessarily surprised based off of the player making it, because I really like this player, but based off of the opportunity he was given, I don't think that he was really considered a favorite. I think for me, I looked at that tenth defensive backspot as Taiwan Mullen versus Mark Webb, maybe Cam Brown who had some moments, And turns out AJ Finley was just kind of quietly working in the background and winning a job opportunity. So job well done, mister Finley, very well deserved. And I'm excited to see what it comes to fruition because I really liked his college tape battle mess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, give Derek Ansley, Brenon Staley more dbs. But yeah, I was very surprised. This was the biggest surprise. I did not see this coming at all. And that's you know, we're only fans who can view things from the outside looking in, So what do we go off of, Like snaptotals who walks out there first? And that's kind of really all we have and maybe some tackles and passper Gibson and that's it. So you know, you see Mark Webb, the guy they drafted, he's out there. He plays thirty four preseason snaps, okay, like he's starting. He's even kind of starting over Raheem Lane, So he must be with the safety that they would like over Raheem Lane. And maybe that could technically still be true because Raheem Lane might be viewed more as a special teamer, which is fine. Yeah, I didn't see this coming, which is funny because you and I you talked about him, you were very high on him. I'm glad you brought him up the first time we did it on this channel talking about the undrafted free agents, and then on our initial predictions we had him on there before camp, and I would wouldn't have guessed this one. If anybody had a perfect bracket going into the last safety group, it was busted. I didn't see a single person. Yeah, talk about him making the roster. It really would have been just like Mark Webber. Like our discussion was Mark web or Raheem Lane or both. It really wasn't. That was kind of it. It really was no a J. Finley in there, But good for him. Clearly he's making an impression and maybe even more so than Elijah Dotson. This is a very much so a defensive move. Somebody out there, or a couple of people out there, especially ahead of the Chargers in waiver Priority, really likes AJ Finley. Who that is, I don't know, but clearly they felt like, look, I know, he didn't show a ton maybe like wasn't as flashy and splashy as Elijah Dotson. But this guy's gonna get scooped up immediately, so we got to hold on to him again kind of like Dotson. We'll see for how long. But good for him, Like his film College film is great. So if Annsley and all these guys can continue to develop him, you know, the other undrafted free agents, the other six seventh round dbi's and such, I'm all for it. So good for him. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mentioned playing defense here a little bit. Thor Nystrom, who is a great draft analyst. If you don't follow him, I definitely recommend doing so. After the draft happened, he sent out this compilation of like the highest ranked undrafted free agents, and I think there are other people who did this too. I'm pretty sure NFL never had one, but on his list. He did a a compilation of it, and GIROD. Clark was one of the highest remaining undrafted free agents ranking. The Chargers obviously had him, and AJ Finley was right up there with him. You know, A. J. Finley was very well thought after in draft circles. I know the Bootleg Football podcast guys were big fans of his as well. We both liked him, so there's definitely a lot to work with here. Again you mentioned this, you know, we'll see how long he ultimately does stay on the roster. But Brandon State that likes to have ten dbs and unless there's like a veteran that they really like out there, I think A J. Finley is gonna get a chance to be on this roster. Whether or not that's you know, active on gain days, we'll see. But I think of the placeholders which we can talk about, I think AJ Finley is probably one of the ones that I'm more confident in staying on the roster because I think this is Brandon State he wants. He's a self proclaimed defensive back factory. Like this is what the Chargers want to do. They want to develop defensive backs, and I think AJ Finley is their next in line. So I'm excited to see how it works out. I really like the blend of like coverage potential that you have with J. T. Woods and AJ Finley as your second team safeties so to speak. You know, Alohi and Durwin can do a lot of the physical dirty work stuff of the safety position, and then AJ Finley and J. T. Woods can kind of fill them blanks in that regard. So very happy with this that the safety room I think is a surprise based off of like snaps. But I'm very happy with this room right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as am I it's a really really okay. Do I hesitate and say solid room, I'll wait. I'll wait and say it's a solid room. But I even though it's an unproven room, I do very much so like the guys that are in the room. So I think you can feel, I don't know about confident, but really happy with who you have because I think you just there's a lot of potential within that room.
Speaker 1: I think that's fair. All right, let's go through a position by a position here and we'll give some thoughts as we go. One of the other bigger surprises potentially for some people quarterback. Only two on the roster this year, again subject to change, but the Chargers they decide to release Max Duggan and only keep Justin Herbert and Easton Stick on the roster. This is only the second time in the years that they've been in Los Angeles that the Chargers have kept just two quarterbacks on the roster, the other one being twenty eighteen when it was just Philip Rivers and Geno Smith. This year Justin Herbert and Eson Stick. What is your reaction to the decision to cut Max dug and Tyler.
Speaker 2: I thought this would be what either made or broke my bracket, and it turns out it was everything else we just talked about. But I thought it was risky because to predict that Dougan would not make the fifty three because they've kept three quarterbacks, and like we've talked about, there's a rule now that really kind of helps you, and like there's a kind of another reason to keep three quarterbacks, So why cut him this year after you just drafted him at the same time, Like we just talked about Elijah Dotson, there was just there were too many guys I think that played really gosh darn well that yes, they're undrafted free agents versus a seventh round pick, but those undrafted free agents played a really, really good preseason, and I thought it would come down to like Elijah Dawson, Gerard Clark who didn't make it, but you just felt like you had to get one of these other guys on there. So Max Duggan, I hope he develops and is great obviously the one him on the practice squad, and he's got tons of tools. I think he rebounded in that final game. It wasn't so hot to start, but to at least rebound, score a touchdown, run at least very well, that's great to see. So hopefully there is something there for them. But this I think it just came down to there's just enough other guys that we want to keep. And then, really, as we've talked about as well, if Herbert ever got hurt, they'd probably just sign another quarterback, whether that's ahead of Stick or behind him. I don't think we'd see Duggan this year, so I understand why they let him go. So it's not a surprise because we predicted it, but I wasn't so sure that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd be curious about the data of like fifth, sixth, seventh round draft picks in terms of quarterbacks that actually like play out the duration of their rookie career or rookie contract. Excuse me on the team that drafted them, because I think if, like you know, the optimistic view is that these guys who are drafted on late Day three, they're your long term backup types and you know, that's obviously why the Chargers kept Decent Stick around, because they were pretty optimistic about his development and wanted to again play defense and make sure that he wasn't scooped up by another team who might have thought pretty highly of him on the draft. And I think also just like it speaks to the strength of the Chargers' roster, Like I think the Chargers felt like they needed that extra spot on the fifty three as opposed to being able to have that extra spot on the forty eight because of the third quarterback rules. So you know, it's it's it's a shame that you know, Max Duggan didn't get more opportunity because this team was really invested in the development of East and Stick and I think rightfully so. But like you said, there were guys who really went out there and had some excellent, you know, chances to show what they had and showed out well. You know, there were guys who were cut today that you know, I think objectively should be on this roster, but you can only keep fifty three. You know, It's it's part of how you work this puzzle. And unfortunately for Max Duggan, you know, he's on the outside looking in you know, like you mentioned, I think there's some potential there to work with and hopefully you can come back on the practice squad. But we'll see what happens there. Maybe he decides to look for a better opportunity somewhere else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you have justin Herbert for the next bazillion years and hopefully until the day I die, which won't happen. But you know, I hope the quarterback forever. There's other position groups where you're not really so sure about who the next guy is gonna be, you know, running back from example, like you got a hold on the Dotson because as probably gone next year, and Kelly is a free agent next year. Technically you don't know what you have in Spiller and you cut Larry round. She's like, yeah, let's keep another guy or or tight end. What does tight end look like? Next year could be a completely different room, So let's make sure we have another roster spot to keep Stone Smart for example. So yes, they'd be looking for another quarterback two in the future potentially, but that's not as pressing, I think is trying to hold on to some of these other guys who really showed up and showed out at running back tight end, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's fair. So we talked a little bit about Elijah Dotson obviously making the roster. Any thoughts here about how this running back room shook out, and you know, we can talk about maybe kind of Spelly hello Spelly combined the two Spiller versus Kelly here, But any other final thoughts on the running back room.
Speaker 2: Here, not particularly, No, it was really just for me, are three art or three running backs? Are four? That's all it really came down to end off. It's four. It's clearly dots, and so no surprises in that regard if the fourth guy that was kept, you know, it was Dotson the whole way through and through, so makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the blend of roles here. And you know, we talked about heading into the preseason that Dotson might be the guy, that guy that we kind of liked because he has some receiving potential and you know, he's a little bit faster. So I do like the composition of this room. Although I understand some people wanting three running backs instead up four. We'll see how that goes. I think, you know, with the way that Kellen Moore wants to, you know, get after it on the ground. I think it makes sense to keep four running backs as well. Yeah, so obviously Chargers only keeping the one fullback, mister Xander Horvath, key special teams player. You know, not a surprise at all that he ended up making the roster because he's a core four special teams player for this Chargers special teams unit. So we'll move on to the wide receivers here, only keeping five on the initial active roster here with Keenan, Mike Williams, Quentin Johnson, Josh Palmer, and Darius Davis. I know there was a lot of initial buzz and hype around john High Tower unfortunately getting injured kind of derailing that. Keelan Dawson is just kind of a really steady presence in the preseason. We both had six on the active roster initially from Saturday Charges. You're going with five here, Tyler, what are your thoughts? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hi Tower unfortunately, great story for the first few weeks of camp and then just grinding halt and you feel bad because you see it's like, okay, yeah, this guy's gonna make it. Here's his opportunity doesn't happen. So that's unfortunate, had DAWs making it. I kind of thought that they would lean into like they did with defensive tackle. You know, let's switch it up, let's have sixty tackles. So I figured going into this year that they would carry six wide receivers. They still might, It's very much possible. Jalen Guiden on the pup list, so he's got four games, he's not going to play, so he's kind of a post by thing. So it seems like they're just going to go with we're just gonna have Keelan Dawson the practice squad. If he clears, elevate him, elevate him. Potentially after you do your elevations, you have to sign him. And maybe that's where dots and ends up being cut because they have to find a spot somewhere. So I would have liked to see them keep six. But it's okay. I think at least for the first two weeks they're gonna have six. In a way, it's just through elevations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, we might have misinterpreted like the need for a six receiver, and that's fine. You know, sometimes he missed these predictions. But Jalen Guidan is really that guy, you know, like you mentioned, he's gonna be on the pup list to start, you know, I would assume that once he's healthy, he's going to be on the active roster and we'll see when that is. But him stay on the pup list, I think is the right decision. Gives him, you know, another basically six weeks to you know, continue working on his recovery and maybe by that time he looks great and he's ready for an active roster spot, or maybe you keep him on longer. I don't know. We'll see what happens there. But you know, I think this receiver room is fantastic, Like I think the potential of this receiver room is so so good. I would have liked to have some more flexibility for sure, you know, And people will compare it like they kept five last year, but this is a very different five, Like this is a unit that you feel great about. Josh Palmer has taken another step forward. Quentin Johnson has been, as advertised, I would say, in training camp, really excited to see his rookie debut. Darius Davis, as we've seen, can give you some you know, gadget stuff while also being like a functional receiver from the slot from time to time. So this is a much deeper stable of wide receivers that this team can can use, and killing Moore can deploys as he sees fit. But I think eventually we will see six on the roster because Jalen Guiden is going to come back at some point and the roster is going to change when he's healthy and ready to contribute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to your point about the five being so different than last year, that's kind of where I think we did at our misstep, like, well, they need to keep six because they didn't last year, and they suffered because they didn't have six. They didn't have enough guys. And again, when guy comes back, it'll probably be six. But like you said, it's very different set of five. First of all, everybody's healthy, so that's a that's a good start. And then Darius Davis, Quentin Johnson, and Josh Palmer, all those guys finished the preseason training camp, et cetera. With stock ups. You feel nothing but great about the receiver room. So I understand why at least for now, it's five on the initial roster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hundred percent. All right, let's get to the tight ends. Here Chargers deciding to keep four again like they did last year, obviously being Jared Everett, Donald Parham, Tree, McKitty and Stone Smart. I think initially I was a little bit hesitant on stone Smart making it, but to his credit, he had a really really solid preseason, had some good moments in training camp, and particular I think shined in the Saints joint practices according to those who were there. So what's your reaction here to Stone Smart being one of the fifty three? Initially what a story.
Speaker 2: Because he started so hot last year in the spring, but then he got hurt so and for an undrafted free agent quarterback turn tight end from old dominion, it's like, well, that's that's it, you know, that's all you got. But they held on to him and they saw something in him, and then he started to play in some games, and now you've got a guy that you know for the next few years. We'll see if they cut him or whatever again, but you feel pretty good about his development, his trajectory. I think it's early to say this, but it's we can, I think sort of say this. It's potentially a Gerald Everett light kind of replacement. If ever it goes down. His skill set is just a little different than the other guys. It's a little bit different than Donnad Parham, than Trey mc kitty as a more pure receiver type. Is he gonna be your inline blocker? Not really, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 2: They can use him and he saw the forty nine ers game. They can use him creatively two block like they would have Oh, I don't know, like a Utah's Dalton Cancade for example. I don't know if you've heard of him, you know, I just had to throw that in there. But I'm happy for him. What a story because not often, he's not often. Do you a guy from a not a large school convert from quarterback to a different position and then get hurt and then make it and then continue to be on the roster and then make it again this year.
Speaker 1: Pretty impressive. Yeah, quarterback to tight end, that's a very unique transition. You know, there's a lot of quarterback to receiver, quarterback to running back, you know, receiver to tight end. Quarterback to quarterback to tight end is very very unique, and I think it just kind of speaks to the work that he's put in. And also, like you mentioned, he missed like basically the whole summer he was injured. He was on that little crutch with his leg in a boot last summer, so you know, credit to him, job well done. I really like the development he's shown, particularly as like a contested catch artist. Had some great moments in the preseason this year in that regard and just shows that, you know, the quarterbacks can trust him. As a blocker, I think more reminiscent of like a Stephen Anderson type, where's you got to get him on the move and get going. Like you mentioned our guy a Dalton Kincaid, very similar role in that regard, more of an h back than he is a true tight end as a blocker, but that Gerald Everett insurance, if you will. So as a receiving room, I really like this tight end room. I think with Donald Parham stretching the seams again yards after catchability, Gerald Everett, working crossers also can work vertically and soon and smart. You've got a lot of potential here as a receiving room. As a blocking unit, I'm still very concerned, and you know, I want everybody to do well, and I want everybody to reach all your potential. But with the way that this team wants to run, the wants to run the football, and make sure that they're able to run in an efficient play acting play action game. I'm concerned. This is a this is a unit that I think should be addressed. And again I don't I'm not going to call for anybody's job, but this is a unit that has to improve in the blocking department or the rushing attack is simply not going to reach its potential. So ideally that from the players that are on the team, and you don't have to make any moves. But I'm concerned, and I don't think anything that happened in the preseason showed otherwise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree there. Obviously we didn't get to see like a ton of Donald Parham blocking a ton of film and whatever. But yeah, we'll see It's a position group that we've been concerned with for that specific reason because it was so worrisome last year and there's just so much uncertainty, you know, Donald Parham, consistency with injuries, McKitty hopefully rebounding. We'll see Gerald Everett not known as an inline blocker, and Stone smart Again. We just talked about converted quarterback to tight end. I don't know what he weighs now, but he was two twenty six last time that they somebody weighed him, I guess and reported it. So it's not a great blocking unit. I'm very curious through the first four games what Kellen Moore does with that blocking unit. Does he rely on that extra tight end or do we just say, hey, we've got receivers, so we're gonna use receiver and our five linemen. That's all we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to your point, like Will Clap has two hundred and sixty snaps as a six offensive lineman registered as an inline tight end according to BFF in his history, I think Jordan McFadden could do very well in that regard to as a former offensive tackle. You know, this is an offensive coordinator that is not He's not hesitant to use extra offensive lineman. He had an infamous hulk package that he used in Dallas to get Connor McGovern on the field more often. And that is something that you can do one percent. You can use extra offensive linemen, you know, as much as you want, but at some point, like it just kind of limits your options because really tough to run play action with six offensive linemen on the field because that six one is probably not running routes. So yeah, again, ideally the unit improves on their own. I do think Donald parm is an underrated blocker, but they don't have a true like tone setter at tight end like they had with like Virgin Green or like Sean McGrath kind of guy, and I think they are missing that kind of presence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna have to start putting some Scott Matt Loocke or Jordan McFadden you know, faiths that's right, man. Well, yeah, yeah, we had to get some film out there of them catching some passes to keep the defenses honest, because yeah, that's what we're leaning on for the full back and extra blockers. Hey, gotta throw some past every once in a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah all right, let's uh, let's get to those offensive linemen. Chargers keeping nine this year I think a bit of a surprise, but starting unit obviously stays intact with Rashawn Slater, Zion Johnson, Corey Lindley. I almostaid Jordan mcfatten, not Jordan McFadden. Jamari Sawier is the starting right guard and then Trey Pipkins. Mister McFadden will clap Foster Surrell, and then Brennan Heimus another potential surprise here. I think for me, the way that I kind of interpreted this is that Will Clap has a ton of versatility in his background. He started his career at LSU as a guard all him and they ended up as a center. He started out his career in the NFL as a guard and ultimately has decided to go back to center for a variety of reasons. So he's a guy that can play all three spots on the interior. And I think this team watched what Brennan Hymas did at center, the improvement and that he displayed, just like the comfort level that he was expressing as a center, they decided to keep him around and see if that is a player that you can develop long term. And so I think you kind of pivot away from this idea that maybe Zach Bailey is your swing guard or maybe Jordan mcfatten is your swing guard, to hey, Will Clap is our swing into your player period and then if something else happens, we'll bring in Brennan Heeimis or Jordan mcfatten to kind of fill in the gap. So that's my interpretation of the decision to keep Brennan Hymas instead of Zach Bailey, I am, you know, not gonna lie a little disappointed. I thought Zach Bailey was their best backup on the team period. In the preseason. I thought that he what he displayed on tape was a true level of consistency, explosiveness, and he played three different positions in the preseason. So I really like Zach Bailey. I was pretty surprised that they decided not to keep him on the initial fifty three. But it is what it is. Like I mentioned, I think some of this is defense, with center being such a valuable position. You know, teams need centers all the time. We just saw former Charger center Dan Feenie get traded because the Bears needed a center, and maybe them looking at Brendan Hymis and saying, hey, like, we need to protect this guy for now, and let's keep working with him and maybe he's he can become something down the road and we'll clap can kind of fill in the gaps there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm very curious what this and I guess we'll never know. To me, I hear your argument, for you know, we'll club going to guard and this sort of thing. It kind of feels like Aukham's razor in this regard, where it's just like the simplest answer is potentially the right one, and that's that he was their draft pick, and I think that that is something that they're going to stick with. They did obviously we just talked about tight end with Trey mckittiy, like they're going to stick with it and work through it now. I do think, and I want to give him credit here. Brendan Himas finished the preseason really strong, and that final game was about a lot of guys like, Okay, here's your snaps, Let's see what you got, you know, even the edge rushers that aren't even going to make the practice squad, like Carlo Kemp going elsewhere, Tys She'll be going elsewhere potentially, They gave them a ton of run in that game to just see what do you got? What are you going to show us? And Brendon Himas had a really, really, really good game and looking at the preseason as a whole, like you're looking at not that it was just him. Zion and Jamari obviously contributed. Jordan mcfadt and Zach Bailey contributed. But the team rushed for six hundred one rushing yards, and I think they're going to look at Brendon hypisiness and say, like, yeah, he gets you. He should get a ton of credit for that. For at least in that regard, they performed very well. I think he performed very well. It really just comes down to, you know, before, really early on, before training camp, we talked about questions that we had that we needed answering in training camp, and one of the first ones I talked about, if not the first one, was Okay, when Rashawn Slater and Trey Pipugan throw off the field, who are the tackles? And I feel like I know less now than I did, because to me, with Zach Bailey, you felt like, Okay, Foster Carral's your swinging tackle. If a Shawn goes down, Foster Cerol goes over there. And if you have Zach Bailey on your team and something happens in right tackle, he looked great in the preseason, so there's your other tackle. Whatever. Now I'm not really so sure. Now, again, this is initial roster. Things might change. Everything we're talking about now by the time it airs tomorrow could be completely different. But for right now, I don't have that question answered yet of what is the plan at backup tackle, And as we've sort of gathered throughout the preseason in training camp, is that a good plan? We'll find out or hopefully we never do, but if we find out, if we have the opportunity to, we will eventually find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think like the way that I interpret this roster right now is that if anything happens on the interior, we'll Clap goes in at any three spot. If anything happens at offensive tackle, Foster Srell goes in. If anything else happens after that, then you have Brendan heeimis Jordan McFadden And did I say we'll clap and Brendan Heeimus excuse me to film in the gaps? After that? Had at little brain part there. That's okay. So I think this team trusts their ability to kind of workshop it and figure it out, and you know they've they've shown a good enough track record that I think we should have some trust in that. So again I thought Zacharly should enough to make the roster. I thought to me he was a lock, and I wish him well if he ends up on the practice squad again, great because I think that would be a fantastic depth option to have. So we'll see what happens there. All right, let's shift gears talk about the defense here as we're running out of time, Chargers keeping six defensive linemen Morgan Fox, Christopher Hinton, Austin Johnson, Sebastian Joseph Day, Scott Madlock, Scott Mattlock, and Nick Williams. To me, this is a Christopher Hinton positive story. I think this is a great opportunity for him. And you know, Sebastian Joseph Dy highlighted it today. He was a guy who, you know, maybe potentially left college a little bit earlier than some might of thought, goes undrafted, signs with the Falcons, gets cut, signs with the Giants, gets cut, gets signs with the Chargers, and play some key moments down the stretch of last season, and was getting first team run without Austin Johnson on the team this year. So, Tyler, what do you make of the decision to keep Christopher Hinton. I know a lot of fans out there wanted Gerrod Clark on this roster too. CJ. Koya sounds like he's going to be back on the practice squad. But what do you make of how this room got sorted out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I guess I'll start with Drawd Clark player, absolutely deserving to make it. I think based on his preseason play, wouldn't have been surprised. It wouldn't be surprised. It would be surprised to me if he was the fifty fourth guy, you know, just like I just just couldn't do it. Had to keep Dotson or Smart or whatever. So bummer there. But I get it. Christopher Hinton, great story. I did not see this coming. And then suddenly day went off camp. You're like, oh, I guess Chrishinton is making the roster. And then that was it, Like there was no really other debate discussion. He was out there with the first team with two guys hurt, and he looked good and he played well, and I was so surprised to see how he could function as a not just a run stopper, because that is ultimate well Dirod Clark will be, that's kind of a specialty. He had some pressures throughout the preseason, but he is a run stopper and maybe that is Chris Hinton more so too. But he saw some great, great pressures. I think a sack or two from him in the preseason. So give Jay Rodgers whatever he wants. Man, if you have a player who you feel really good about, who's been with you now in your second year, second season, not really two full seasons, I feel good about him, keep him and keep him in that rotation because you know, you really don't know a whole lot about some of these undrafted free agents and how they might respond to an NFL game. You don't know what's happening with Otito. We have honestly, I mean you might, but it seems like that's a mystery. You've seen Chris Hinton play, You've seen him in the NFL. You've seen him play. He works with coach Ed, he knows the guys he's lining up against. You know, again, if you have Sebastian just Up, Dave Morgan, Fox, and Chris Hinton out there, those are three guys that all train together. So I just think chemistry knowing about him more and just he played good football. It's a good move, and it was This six is not a surprise. It's a solid group that only get better when Otito returns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a group that I think is going to be underrated and nationally, I mean, how often do we see all the draft punnits wanting on a No's tackle in the first round this year? And I'm already seeing that it's happening again for next monk the next draft season. So a group that I think is underrated. But Christopher Hinton, I think, you know, him making the roster really comes down to versatility because I think that he can play all spots across the line. He can be a run defending nose tackle if you want him to. He can be a pass rushing three tech or a pass rushing five tech. I think he can play all across the line and do it well. And again, this is a guy who was a five star recruit, went to Michigan, shine at Michigan. Again, maybe came out of school a little bit too early, but this is what the NFL is about, you know, finding a guy like Christopher Hinton and turning him into a quality player and getting him in a right situation with Jay Rodgers and learning from behind guys like Sebastian, Joseph Day, Austin Johnson, Morgan Fox, and I think it's it's super cool to see it come to fruition. I wish to Rod clark well, I hope he's able to come back on the practice squad, because that's a guy who was like very clearly the top in the league in terms of run stop percentage among all defensive tackles who played in the preseason. There's a very defined role for him, though, and I think that just kind of limited his opportunities because I think Jay Rodgers, Brandon say they like these guys who can play all across the line. That is Christopher Hinton, that is Nick Williams, that is Scott Mattlock, that is Austin Johnson, it is Sebastian, Joseph Day, heck even Morgan Fox. So that's hey, I want to learn how to play against the center more often and fight double teams. So this is a good group. I feel really good about this group, especially that Austin Johnson is healthy. How healthy we'll see. But I like this group a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too. The last couple of years they've held onto another guy to make the initial fifty three was really good at stopping the run. Forest Merril nose tackle, Brandon Vogo no tackle. But ultimately when it came to the entire season outlook until injuries happened. They want a guys who could do more than one thing, and Christina can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, moving on here outside linebacker, slash edge rusher, whatever you want to call it, no surprises Joey Bosa, Klumack, Chris Frump and two Lee tweet Polo tu We've talked a lot about this unit on this channel, on our own channel. I think this is the best edge situation that the charges you've had in a few years here, But did you have any thoughts about this group before we move on?
Speaker 2: No, not about these four. I feel very confident about them. We've talked about them, and we'll see who the one EDG dresher is. Sounds like Andrew Farmer would be like the sort of priority there with you know, with Carlo Kemp, it seems like he's destined to go elsewhere and not make the practice squad. So Andrew Farmer showed a lot. I think he'll be the guy that ends up on the practice squad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Kemp was I think just a little timing here could have gone along way for him. I think if he had had this kind of preseason last year. I think you would have made the roster last year. But I think no real surprises with this four making the ultimate four or initial fit four. I guess all right, let's get to the linebackers. Inside linebackers again, no real surprises here, Dayon Hanley, Eric Kendrick, Kenneth Murray, Nickneman, and amon ogbang Lamiga. What are your thoughts here, Tyler?
Speaker 2: Honestly, if you asked me who was the defensive surprise to make the team, I would have said, Okay, like Michael Jones or Blake Lynch or something like that. So I figured maybe like this could be the area. Turns out it was Aj Finley for the safety group. Nope, feel good about this group. You have a good combination of you know, a veteran, a hopefully ascending Kenneth Murray, special teams guys, a rookie draft pick you feel really good about. So again, slightly unproven still, but you still feel good about about some of these guys.
Speaker 1: And I think it's a union that has a lot of potential but definitely needs to click together here. I think obviously Eric Canwicks is a big part of that. Dan Henley had a really fantastic preseason, very curious about what really is his role because you know, from a snap's perspective, it always felt like Amen and Nick Neeman were ahead of him on the depth chart. But we'll see how that changes throughout the course of the season. You mentioned Michael Jones. I thought he was really fantastic in the preseason games, especially against the Saints and the forty nine Ers. Really instinctive linebacker. I think he's a little bit limited in coverage duties, but he's a guy I definitely want to circle for a potential practice squad spot, and hopefully by the time you guys are all listening to his that has already come to fruition. So he's a guy that I definitely want to see them continue to work with going forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had we have so much. We have limited time right to do what we do and to look at these undrafted free agents, and when you have a bazillion of them, it's hard to keep track of all these guys. So I didn't prioritize linebacker one bit because you know, they were keeping the guys that they were keeping, right like that was and they did. But Jones, over the course of the last couple of games, And I'll be completely honest, I noticed him out of comedy, out of a funny bit because of the way that he helped Dan Henley secure the interception, and then he, you know.
Speaker 1: Played.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm like okay. And then I looked up him and the numbers and I'm like, okay, maybe I should pay attention to him more. And he looked great. So as the I don't know how many practice squad linebackers they usually keep, but I hope he's one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly. Could I agree more?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to the defensive backfield. We talked a little bit about AJ Finley. No real surprises otherwise in terms of the safety group and cornerback group. Obviously Michael Davis, J C. Jackson, and as Sante Samuel Jr. Along with Jasa Taylor and Dean Leonard make up the cornerback group, and then again the safeties being Derwin James, Alohi Gillman, Raheem Lane, and obviously AJ Finley. But regarding the cornerbacks, Tyler, are you at all surprised that maybe Timon Mullin or Cam Brown didn't make this roster? How do you feel about that? Group.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not surprised. I think you feel very confident in your five corners. We'll see what Jac's health, of course, how that all plays out. Honestly, even without J. C. Jackson, you feel pretty good about what you've seen from Assante Semler Jr. You know what you having. Michael Davis, Dean Leonard I argue has been one of the best guys of training camp in the preseason. Just a phenomenal improvement from him over the last year and a half or so. So he's been great. Joy they feel good about. So no surprises here. If Mullan made it cool, I get it. If Cam Brown made it cool, I get it. But no surprise they didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, time one. Mullen I think was a guy who grew on me a lot, you know, just seeing his physicality that he brought to the table in the preseason kind of redundant. Unfortunately with the Sante and you see Taylor on the roster, you know, Derwin's gonna play in the slot a lot. You know, we'll see what happens in terms of other slot defenders, but you know, it's tough to find a role at that star position. As Brandon Stateley likes to call it, so definitely just want to circle him and Cam Brown for the practice squad. But we'll see what happens there. To your point about Dean Leonard, I think one thing I do want to highlight here is that, like you can make a real real argument that the two most improved players on the team from last year to now are in this defensive backfield being Dean Leonard and J. T. Woods, And those are two spots that we really needed to see that improvement. And and so I think, you know, definite tip to those guys who have really come out, worked super hard and put it out on the practice field, took it to the preseason games, and hopefully we can see some of that improvement you know, come to shine in the regular season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been Harley. I've definitely been singing Derek Ansley's praises as the guy who was the DB's coach and now the defensive coordinator. You just feel great about him and the development of these guys in the charges. To continue with that, I mean j T. Woods, I know it's not really what we're talking about it in today, but he's improved tremendously and I think you just see that statistically on film, Etcjean Leonard looks. I mean again, the transformation, what he's done over the last year and a half or so since they drafted him last April is tremendous. So good for him, good for this group, you feel really good about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Last, but not least, the specialists on the team. Again, there was only one punter, only one long snapper, so JK Scott, Josh Harris, making it definitely not a surprise. We got to see an actual legitimate kicking battle, although Hopkins was injured for a little bit, but Cameron Dicker ultimately ends up winning the position battle beats out Dustin Hopkins, who gets traded to the Cleveland Browns. Again. We talked about this a little bit earlier. I want to Wishusin Hopkins very well man like. He saved the Chargers from a really tough spot in twenty twenty one, was fantastic for that team down the stretch and literally left every ounce of energy that he possibly had on that field against the Denver Broncos. One of the coolest moments to see him kick that game winning field goal basically on one leg. So Dustin Hopkins. I don't know if you're listening to this, but I do want to wish you well because you are one of the best kickers in Chargers' recent memory, so hopefully you experienced nothing but success in Cleveland. That being said, I'm very excited about Cameron Dicker. Man. I think Dicker has earned this opportunity. He was like ninety three percent all throughout the summer, and I think Charges fans should be really really excited to see Dicker and his potential be the Chargers kicker sho'ly so heading into twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, Yeah, feel great about it again. And Ryan Fick and we trust, and in Cameron Dicker and previously Dustin Hopkins, we trust. It has been a joy to know that I got married this year and I might actually make it a few more years because the Kickers have finally brought my stress levels down, like I am going to be able to start a family, I'm gonna have kids. I'll go on a honeymoon next year because these Kickers have stabilized the position. And everyone I talked to in the stands every single time we're up in the stands, and they would whoever it was you named the list of people over the last few years. They go out to kick and we just stood there, like, please, just anything close to within the uprights would be great. If you could hit seventy eight percent this year, that'd be awesome. And turns out Dustin Hopkins over ninety percent.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The Washington for whatever reason, decided to cut him, and we went thanks, and we never really looked back. He was awesome for the Chargers, watching him beat a division rival on primetime on one leg where after he kicks every kick he falls over because he can't land it after he kicks. For him to do that, and then not that he did this, but get himself traded for a draft pick, like, salute to you, Dustin Hopkins, man, I appreciate you. Cameron Dictor, you're here now. Jesus took the wheel and now you are the kicker for the Los Angeles Chargers for the foreseeable future. I think this is a guy that I'm hoping like a Justin Tucker, for example, although Dustin Tucker's a whole different story. I hope he's the kicker that they can land for years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years again, I'd like to start a family and have my blood pressure stay nice at a manageable level.
Speaker 1: So your hopes of starting the family are arresting on camera?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. His career, yeah pretty much. If he misses the first kick, check in on me. You know, we'll see how it goes. But yeah, if he misses the first kick against Miami, yeah, check in on me.
Speaker 1: I'm dead. I'm dead. It's amazing. Yes, obviously, hope Cameron Dicker experiences nothing but success. But the Chargers, you know, again, these stories that the Chargers have on the roster are crazy. He was he signed with the Rams as a punter. He was gonna punt for the Rams after his college career. And you know, he's the guy who did both at the University of Texas and ultimately decides to stick it, to stick to the kicking profession, and it's really worked out for him. So I'm excited about Cameron Dicker. I know that there's been some concern about his leg strength. He had a fifty eight yarder at Texas. He's looked good from very far out at training camp. You noted during the scrimmage he was kicking from like sixty yards out and not like one hundred percent accuracy, but definitely had the leg to get it there. So I'm excited about Cameron Dicker and hopefully we can, like you mentioned, have him around for the long haul.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't wait for the postseason game winning field goals.
Speaker 1: Yes, speaking into existence? All right, Tyler, any other thoughts about this roster before we head out of here tonight.
Speaker 2: Nope, let's play football. Well, you guys play football. I'll have to talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll talk about it. Yeah, that's gonna do it for us today. Hopefully guys enjoyed it. I know previously our shows have been releasing on Tuesdays. They're now going to be up on Wednesdays throughout the regular season. So hopefully you you know, set those notifications, subscribe to the channel, and maybe throw us a bone at our own channel as well. We always great greatly appreciate the support. Thanks to Tyler for joining me, thanks to Greg Kim for producing, especially thanks to the Charges of course for giving us this platform. That's gonna do it for us. We'll see you guys next time. As always, both top