Speaker 1: It has a late fifteen to ten touched up suck.
Speaker 2: Everybody will come into a week zero edition of a Charger's Weekly Money and I back on the virtual setup after a fun four or five weeks of camp money, getting to sit down with players and learn how their off season was.
Speaker 3: Checking on a training camp, and we're about a week away from a getting real.
Speaker 1: We are, you know, big day yesterday.
Speaker 4: Obviously you get to know a handful of these players, and they obviously have dreams and goals, and sadly you can't keep all ninety. It gets trend to fifty three. We're waiting, you know, as we record this right now, the practice squad has not been set, at least I don't think it has. I haven't seen anything. You know, players are still clearing waivers and all that. But you know, you're talking about instead of ninety when the practice squad has set sixty nine guys, and it's it's always a bummer because there's some that really flash and get excited about their potential. Now there's other great stories that I know we're going to get into when it comes to the fifty three, and those are wonderful, But yeah, it's always just kind of a.
Speaker 1: I don't want to say it's not a sad day.
Speaker 4: You know, there's still opportunities for these guys to continue to grow and get, you know, and realize and reach their goals. At the same time, there's some players that did not make the cut that you're like, man, that's that's close. Was that had to be super close and you're hopeful that they can latch on somewhere else. So I know that'll probably be the center of this conversation today on the pod. I know, we got a lot of questions to get to get to so even though it's an off week as we get ready for Miami on the tenth, I think there's still you know, a lot. It was an exciting training camp, it was an exciting preseason.
Speaker 3: It was a lot of questions, specifically about the roster. Obviously some Miami questions will sprinkle in. We'll really get into Miami next week. But this is like the human side of football here over the last two weeks, you know, the third preseason game, I think everybody wants it to just get over with as quickly as possible. No injuries. But you know, for like you said, money, the back half of the roster. That's their super Bowl. I mean, that's their last chance to make an oppression for either the Chargers or the thirty one other teams in the NFL. And a lot of these NFL dreams are over. Now you know, these guys and I can get picked up. You know, maybe they'll get picked up on a practice squad. There's obviously a number of guys who we thought were close who will be on the Chargers practice squad inevitably, but so many questions related to the fifty three. Let's just dive in. I thought that this was one of the main topics going into to cut down day. This is from Rico the sports Guy. Now, what is your guys thoughts on the Chargers going with five wide receivers and four running backs and what is the potential upside of Dotson on this roster. I'll go quickly and let you just pick it up money. I thought Dotson earned a spot with how he played in the first and third game. He gives you some special teams versatility as a kick return or maybe to spell Darius Davis or a backup for him, and I thought he earned the job. And when you see the one to four I think with Keenan, Mike, Joshua, and Quinton, knowing that Jalen Geiton will be back week five. I don't know if it made a ton of sense to bring on a six wide receiver, especially because, hey, you called that third game in San Francisco Santa Clara. They couldn't even get the ball down the field, so you couldn't even really evaluate Doss or High Tower. And my guess is, what are both of those guys would be on the practice squad?
Speaker 4: Sure, I think I would imagine they'd like both of them on the practice squad. And if I had to guess, it's possible that they just maybe didn't show enough that that DAWs Or High Tower did not show enough to make them a sixth receiver. A lot of it remembers also, you know, sort of projecting if we put Dawson High Tower on the practice squad, are they going to get claim? You know, if we put them on waivers, are the gonna get claim? But Dotson on waivers? Is he going to get claimed? And my guess is they probably came to the consensus if we put if we cut daw if we cut Dots, and he's getting picked up.
Speaker 1: So say goodbye to him. So I think that's part of it. One two.
Speaker 4: You know, even though last year wide receiver was a serious, you know, a position of serious attrition with Keenan and Mike barely planning, it was one one hundred and thirty eight snaps together all season long, with Jalen Geiten going down with the ACL. Certainly having Michael Bandy play in a wild card playoff game is not ideal. So let's just shove that aside and say, typically running back is a position.
Speaker 1: Of attrition, and it was last year.
Speaker 4: You know, it was you had Austin Eckler missed a couple games, you had Joshua Kelly miss pretty healthy chunk of games. Larry Roundtree was activated for a couple of days, for a couple of weeks, I should say. So they probably look at that, and so let's protect ourselves. The running game is super important to Kellen Moore, so let's make sure that we've got that position covered. We want to marry this running game to our passing game. We know we've got Keenan Allen and Mike Williams and Josh Palmer and now Quentin Johnson. You mentioned that, so let's just stack that running back room. And remember this is just the initial fifty three. It could change, but to me, it was if we keep two quarterbacks, we now have a luxury. We now have a number to play with it. Maybe we didn't think was going to be there, And you put it best, Chris Elijah earned that spot. He earned it with week one, He earned it in practice. He earned it by improving his special teams even the limited number of carries he had in San Francisco, you could see that juice. And I'm not saying that that Eckler and Joshua Kelly and Spiller don't have it, but it looks different. Dotson's juice looks different when he gets in that open field, when he finds that crease. There is something that's different about him, and I think that's why they chose to keep him on instead of DAWs or Hi Tar And look, that could change, could change by the time you listen to this podcast. It's possible that there's a wide receiver out there that fits exactly what they were looking for, somebody that can block, somebody that can be a special team's ace, maybe a gunner, and Dotson won't be on the roster. It'll be he'll be on the practice squad. So it's I just don't think Doss and High Tower provided Tom Telesco, Brandon Staley and their staffs with exactly what they were looking for in order to make them that sixth wide receiver agreed.
Speaker 3: Popper broke down the fifty three men roster. I think he spoke to Telesco yesterday and said that Dotson earned it. He can catch the wall out of the backfield, pass protection and the missing link to that offense other than just the personnel and the injuries. Last year, money was the running game. The running game is going to look different this year. I'm really excited to see whether it's Kelly, Spiller or Dotson spell Austin throughout the course of this season. Chew the clock when you have to. You know, Joshua's run, that's seventy five yard run. You know you've you've been on Joshua Kelly's bandwagon for a long time, and you know, so have I. When he's healthy. Joshua has really put himself in a nice position to be that that second running back to Austin, and I think Spiller is right behind him. And then the potential of dots and so.
Speaker 4: No doubt, I think, And that's ultimately that's what for people that we're trying to figure out the fifty three and who's going to make it and who isn't.
Speaker 1: Ideally why she.
Speaker 4: Is an active on game day, he's he is an insurance policy, like that's Keelands and or I should say kilnd Doss or John Hi Tower. Don't have any targets through fifteen weeks or seventeen, you know, maybe they have a couple they get activated for one week or something like. That's the thing to remember is we are talking about depth here. How do we feel about the depth of the running back room, the wide receiver room, the tight end room, the safety room, and on and on, And that's sort of what we're we're getting after with these slots forty eight through fifty three.
Speaker 3: Bottom line, Quentin Johnson, right now, your first round pick is your wide receiver four. Darius Davis, who was also on special teams and then showed you the jet sweep ability, the ability to give vertical he's your wide receiver five right now with Jalen Guiden on the pup. Hopefully Slater to come back week five, so that position looks good money. Let's keep on rolling. This is from Ahmed. Why did the Chargers not keep Clark? With how injured our d line has been. We've talked a lot. I think about Scott Matlock and his ability throughout preseason and training camp as a six round pick and earning his spot. Getting Austin Johnson back. Tito Ebonia is another guy that they expect to get back, hopefully Week five. So I think the defensive line rotation is pretty much set. I think we had a pretty good idea of what it was going to look like.
Speaker 1: So that's yeah. Look, I think that.
Speaker 4: And Nick Neeman, augmang Bamega and Neeman have solidified themselves as not just good, but exceptional special teamers. So you're carrying five linebackers, Am and Neeman, Henley, Murray Kendrick. So you've got to start working the math here. You've got all of that, and then when you look at the interior line, Morgan Fox, Sebastian, Joseph Day, Nick Williams, Austin Johnson, they're in Matt Locke like they're all in.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 4: So you're talking about one spot and Gerrod Clark and Christopher Hinton were probably the two guys that they were looking at for that one spot. And I think that's sort of what it probably came down to, which one And that's a coaches thing, which which one fits best with what you want to do, Which one fits with what you know we think we need. And this it's we said this last week. Every year, this happens every year, for whatever reason, there's an interior lineman that I get smitten with. And if it's Braydon Fojoko, if it's Forrest Merril, like, it just happens because it's an important position and their difference makers, and this team has struggled to stop the run. So when you see that flash in the preseason, you're like, Okay, well maybe this is a solution. Maybe this is what we're talking about. But it's important to remember preseason, you're going, for the most part, up against opponents twos and threes and even further down the depth chart. In practice. Every day they're going up against some really good players, and the coaches have an opportunity to evaluate practice, which we typically don't. And so that's sort of something to always keep in mind that we don't know how Hinton performed versus Clark in practice and all those reps that we didn't see, and also just how he fits in perhaps a little bit better than as I'm just kind of pulling up the the measurables. So he is six four three ten, He's a much longer, younger player than Clark is, so I think it's important to kind of remember that as well.
Speaker 3: Let's keep these rolling. This is from Steven Gillard. How do you guys feel about Stick being the only quarterback on the roster. Is there a quarterback that was cut you think would be a better fit as Herbert's backup? So no, Max Duggan. Max Duggan hopefully will get back to the practice squad. I you know, your mind kind of wanders a little bit when you see someone like Will Greer out there, who I think got picked up by the Bengals in their practice squad. The relationship with Kellen Moore and nuss Meyer, and I think Nusts had him in college too, if I'm not mistaken. So that was a name that I saw out there. I'm like, oh, that could make sense as somebody to add your quarterback room. You know's Easton's preseason I think was a little incomplete. Obviously started really well in that that first preseason game, had some trouble in Week two, and you know he's got the wheels. I don't know, what do you think about just having two guys in your quarterback room right now?
Speaker 4: It was a celebration for me. I have no interest in the Chargers carrying a third quarterback and not using that roster spot on a depth piece that may come into play. You get down to your third quarterback on this team and you're in real trouble. We know how important justin Herbert is to what this team wants to accomplish this year in any year, and that's win a Super Bowl. And if he's not out there, it's gonna be awfully hard to do that.
Speaker 1: So the most.
Speaker 4: Important role for me is not if Herbert goes down, can the Chargers still win the Super Bowl? I think we know the answer to that. It's gonna be damn near impossible. It's gonna be very hard to do that. So how does the second quarterback? How does the backup quarterback support the starter? That is priority number one, two, three, four, and five. And Easton is an incredibly smart individual. Incredibly he see things. He sees things like this. Just watch when Herbert goes to the sideline and you'll see he in Easton huddling and going over that Microsoft surface tablet. So that's number one too. I do think he showed enough. I think there's things that he can do as a backup with his athleticism, with his running ability, with Kellen Morre's creativity that it's not gonna look like it does with Herbert, but we can get by. We're gonna run a lot of RPOs, we're gonna run a lot of read option, and we're gonna try to lean on this exception what we hope is in exceptional defense, special teams, great running backs, and piece this thing together. Look, this is gonna come out the wrong way. But whatever, Like, to me, Chase Daniel was a waste. It was a complete waste. If Joe Lombardi's not good enough to be a coach and he needs a quarterback to somehow be an intermediary between he and Justin Herbert, and every time Chase gets on the field, you're like, what are we doing? Like to me, that's get it. It's something that that coach. Some coaches that's what they want. They want their backup quarterback to be an extension of them. And I got nothing against Chase. Guy made forty million bucks doing it. Good for him, that's fine. But to me, no, like we saw it in that one series, the Chase went in, it was an abject failure. Was a complete disaster when he had to go out there, you know, and I just assumed they were gonna run it into the center of the line a few times. Instead, Lombardi looked like you wanted to flex a little bit and be like, oh, you want to come at me for having Chase watch this? The guy damn near through two interceptions and it was just a disaster. So to me, yeah, Easton's I saw some people asking about McCoy and I'm like, you don't need a thirty seven year old guy out there in your quarterback room.
Speaker 1: Keep Easton. He's plenty good. He's plenty good. He knows this system.
Speaker 4: Herbert loves him, very similar to Philip with Kellen Clemens. Yeah, Phillip's gonna play. Phillip's gonna play every snap, and Kellen is a smart quarterback, a great backup, someone who Philip has in place trust in, and every time he comes to that sideline, he wants to hear what Kellen saw and maybe what he might have missed, and those two work together really well. And so that's what I feel like Herbert has with Easton Stick right now. And the bonus is I would be confident that he could go out there and win a quarter, that he could go out there and win a week. If need be anything more than that, you're fooling yourself.
Speaker 3: So the number one priority, like you said, is the relationship between QB one of the backup and Easton. Justin are super tight and Easton super smart. And keep in mind with the preseason performances, Easton is throwing to second, third, and fourth stringers as well. Put Easton Stick behind that offensive line right with Keenan and Mike on the outside and Austin in the backfield and Palmer and you know, Rashaun Slater blocking for you. It's gonna look different too. I think the second thing with a backup quarterback, You're right, if Justin has to miss like an extended period of time, we know what that is.
Speaker 1: But what are we doing?
Speaker 3: But Ken Easton Stick, when you a month, can he get you to two and two in a month? Can he keep you afloat? If need be, And I think the answer to that is yes, with Kellen Moore calling the plays and with this personnel. Just keep in mind, I think when we watch preseason and it looks ugly like it looked ugly in Week two and Week three. But also Easton didn't have Mike Williams or Keenan Allen or all these receivers in that offensive line blocking for the running game. So I do think that Easton deserves an opportunity. You know, you always look at like different connections. That's why I thought, hey, maybe Will Greer made sense to bring in if they wanted to keep three and perhaps let dug In go find something else. But I say, you go with it, and we just you ride with Justin Herbert and expect that he's gonna play every snap seventeen games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just want I'm sorry, Chris. I didn't mean to be distracted there, but I had to go back and watch those two throws against San Francisco from Jase Daniel and just say.
Speaker 1: What what are we doing? Like? What are we doing? So sorry?
Speaker 4: I just wanted to make sure not not because if I'm going to be a jerk and a little snarky like that I just wanted to make sure that my memory from last year served correct, And yes, I'm correct in my assessment there. So ultimately, like if you ask, if you ask a general manager, like you said, can they can he go to and two if he's got to play for a month, Basically what they want from a performance standpoint, from their backup is ultimately, can you win us a series? Like if something happens, if he bangs his thumb, if something weird, helmet comes off, he gets you know, they want to check him out. They want to you know, the independent you know, evaluator wants to check him out, concussion protocol kind of thing, and he's going to get cleared. We know he's five, Like can you can you win those snaps?
Speaker 1: For us?
Speaker 4: That's ultimately what they want and for them, the way they process it is worst case scenario is we need you for a week? Can you win a week? And that's and that's why carrying three has always just been weird to me. I've never agreed that it's something you should do when you have a stud quarterback. So, just to make a long answer longer, yeah, I'm totally fine with them keeping one and I am all about Easton Stick as Justin's backup.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep this rolling here, let's see David Thompson likelihood of AJ Finley actually being on the fifty three when the season starts. I don't know if this was a mild surprise to some people that AJ Finley made the fifty three. You brought up a good point about Hey, you know, Tom, in the department, they're always scouring the other thirty one teams to see who gets cut, who makes a practice squad. So as we tape this, you know, I think AJ Finley earned his spot, Tom said so via Poppers article. But you never know, like at the end of this week, there may be another safety or another defensive lineman or maybe an offensive lineman that they like and takes the spot of one of these guys who was on the bubble who made the fifty three.
Speaker 4: So the reason why it was surprising is it just appeared as though Mark Webb had outplayed him. And we know how much the coaching staff likes Mark Webb and his versatility, and that that if you were going to keep five safeties that he would end up being. We knew Raheem Lane was going to make it because his special teams has been so exceptional and he's actually played all right when preston to rotational duty. But so that's where I think the surprise element came in. So at the same time, if I had to guess, you know, Mark got hurt in the preseason again, you know, and that's just unfortunately for web been the story of his career is that he has really struggled to stay healthy. And maybe that's why he's better parked on the practice squad and you can use him for a week, and you can use him for maybe two weeks if you have to, but you don't have to put him on the fifty three and try to count on him for seventeen. I wonder how much of it has to do with low and whether or not a Loie Gilman's not quite fully one hundred percent, and they wanted to have a little bit more depth at that position. If if there's going to be an issue with those top you know, it's three safeties that we're really talking about, it's low it's J T.
Speaker 1: Woods and Darwin obviously.
Speaker 4: And so I wonder how much of that because of the way the training camp and preseason ended for Lowie Gilman comes into play and why they kept that extra position. But we all know Brandon Staley likes defensive backs for special teamers. They are his favorite special teamers. It's a big reason why they took Dean Leonard and why they took us here late in the draft last year. And he mentioned that. I just that always stuck with me when he when he his post draft presser, he talked about, we're always going to take swings on defensive backs toward the back end of the drafts or at some point because of how valuable they are on special teams.
Speaker 1: And we saw that last year.
Speaker 4: They won them a game in overtime, did the combo of Dean and Joss here against Denver. So to me, that's the other part of it is Finley's got a nose for the ball. We know that from his time at Ole Miss had some coverage issues, had a little bit of run support issues, but that's all stuff the coaches can work out. And you certainly is a heck of a high school football player and had those flashes at Ole Miss, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So you're betting on the upside.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit more of the ceiling versus the floor and Finley versus Web. But that's another one. I'd be really surprised that I don't anticipate him Dean on the fifty three for all seventeen or eighteen weeks, including the buy of the regular season.
Speaker 3: The quarter situation. I think it's a testament to how they drafted, with Jasir and Dean both making the team in their second year. It's one thing to draft a guy and then they contribute in the first year, But to have a six and seventh round pick make the team in their second year continuing to develop, I think it's a good thing. Really, no surprises from the quarnerback standpoint. Now money, this is from om run. What is the most important difference you noticed in Kellen Moore's offense. I felt it was the ability to adjust the game plan to the player and the opponent. What do you think, I'll just say the running game, because we haven't seen a Kellen Moore offense week one when it actually counts, but just the flashes of the running game. We talked to Isaiah Spiller about the downhill runs, runs that suit him best. We saw Joshua have success, dots that have success. That was basically I think the missing link to last year is not having a running game to rely upon in the second half of games outside Austin Eckler and I think that's going to change.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent agree. Running game looked much better. DJ and Dan Fouts said it in the game during the game, how surprised they were that everything was north south and then all of a sudden, here comes a stretch for seventeen yards. So sure enough, he's not pulling out everything. And to me, you haven't seen the biggest impact of Kellen Moore. Now what perhaps if you're if you're a weirdo and you consume everything, then you read the two articles, one from Peter King and one from Lindsay Theory about this whole pace in space and the meetings that they had with Steve Kerr and the idea that Justin Herbert is like Steph Curry and can we apply principles of what created a dynasty up in San Francisco and Oakland down here in Los Angeles. And much of that they talked about was tempo, and that's something that we've talked about. When Kellen was hired. That was always impressive about Dallas as you did not know when they were going to snap the ball, they did not always wait until three seconds on the play clock, or when the play clock was at zero. Sometimes they're snapping the ball at twenty two seconds. Sometimes they're running with crazy tempo. Sometimes they'll let it run all the way down to zero, so you can't time your get off. But I think with this roster, just the quotes, the way I interpret the quotes from Kellen Moore in those interviews and from Brandon Staley in those long form pieces from Peter and Lindsay, sounds like this thing is gonna move, like it's really gonna move, and they do not. They're gonna hit the gas and it's gonna stay there. And that that our PM line is gonna be on the red for stretches of games because they think everybody. They've got a roster full of very intelligent players and they can put a lot on them. And they're talking about justin with a couple of check with me's with maybe four or five plays, you don't have to huddle. You got you know, choice routes all over the place for Eckler, for Keenan, for Mike, they're all it is. We talk about the Patriots defense being an Amoba defense. To me, it's it's gonna be tempo, it's gonna be Amiba, it's gonna be constantly changing, and it's gonna keep That's the goal is to keep defenses on their heels and take advantage of arguably the most physically gifted quarterback in the league, combining with a guy that won the academic Heisman and can process as quickly as some of the best, and see if in fact this you know, Justin Herbert can end up being the best quarterback in the league by the time this season is over.
Speaker 3: He just look at the personnel entering a week well, and at the wide receiver position specifically, and just what an upgrade it is with Palmer a year wiser and Quintin Johnson and Darius Davis, and we know about Keenan to Mike. This next question is about the tight ends from Bull Moose. With the richest free agency tight end blocking class and tight end draft class in recent memory, the Chargers chose to do nothing to upgrade the position when it's really needed after last year? Why And it's the crying emoji Listen, Gerald Everett, I think went healthy and in the position that he's going to be in not having to be the top two or three target. That's gonna look different. I thought stone Smart was excellent during the preseason and he made the team because of his ability to came. He sprung a great block for Joshua Kelly after the offensive line just from all of the save defensive line. Uh. He also he also had a nice block for Easton in the in the week before Easton getting in the end zone. So I wouldn't be as concerned about the blocking tight end thing right now. I think that why there was so much concern last year money is because Rashaun Slater went out. So they're like, Okay, well we're gonna have to We're gonna have to protect Justin and and try to form some semblance of a running game without our all pro left tackle. Uh McKitty is gonna have to be that that blocking tight end. Hopefully stone Smart can contribute to that. But I think it may be a little overblown based on the personnel that's coming back healthy across the offensive line.
Speaker 4: So first, the name of the person that asked the question or the is what.
Speaker 3: Bull moose at four five two?
Speaker 1: Bull moose like b U L. L. Moose.
Speaker 4: Yep, So it reminds me I have to acknowledge this just in case. That's why his name is bull Moose. When I was in high school college, when I was twenty one, we used to play a game called bull Moose and you would hold your right hand up and they would say, hold your right hand up, make a fist, Say bull moose, Say bull moose. All right, now you're in. You can no longer drink with your right hand, and you had to drink with your left hand. And if anybody caught you taking a drink with your right hand, they would say bull moose and you'd have to finish whatever was in your cup. And it takes a while. It would take a couple parties to kind of settle in and you are just dusting glasses because you're right handed for the most part. And now to this day, here I am some thirty plus years later, and I still drink with my left hand exclusively from you know, when I was like fifteen, sixteen years old when I got initiated to the bull Moose clan.
Speaker 1: So thank you bull Moose forgiving me that beautiful money.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna ask Bull Moose to reply and confirm with that is why.
Speaker 1: You say is your name Bull Moose? Because of the drinking games.
Speaker 3: This is a Chargers Dieharden busking magician.
Speaker 4: So okay, let's find out as if Bull Moose is related to the drinking game. In terms of the tight end, I'll i'll disagree with you a little bit, Chris. I do think they need a blocking tight end. I am a little nervous about the blocking. I think we wanted to see more from Trey. I know we hear that Donald's getting better. I just haven't quite seen it. Gerald Everett's not. He's just not gonna block. That's not what he does. But he's exceptional at beating man coverage as a tight end.
Speaker 1: He just does.
Speaker 4: He wins, and that's so important on third downs. I don't think Gerald gets nearly the credit he deserves for what he's able to do at that position.
Speaker 1: He is so good.
Speaker 4: If if you guard him with a single if you're just man up single defender, he's gonna beat him. He's gonna be open, and I think that is so valuable. So let's not pretend like they don't have assets in that tight end room. I'll second and echo exactly what you said about Stone Smart. I knew he was gonna make the team. I had no doubt in my mind that he was gonna make the team. He is for someone that played Remember this is someone that played quarterback at Riverside City, won the MVP, won the championship, tried to play quarterback at an FCS, go just didn't happen. Converts to wide receiver, then all of a sudden becomes a tight end. This is someone that's played tight end for like two three years. He's just starting to figure it out, and you just see how quickly it's coming to him. He's an incredible athlete. He makes some ridiculous catches and the thing that jumped out you mentioned the blocks. The blocking was great in the San Francisco game. He had a couple key ones. But more than that, what I've seen and I think is important for his development is the contact. He absorbs crazy shots like that guy is getting blown up and that ball is not coming out. He holds on to it. And that's what's gonna happen. As a tight end. You're in the middle of the field, You're gonna take some shots. Can you secure the football? And pick up first down. So to me, Stone Smart, he's he's the number two to me like Everett's one. Stone Smart is. From what I've seen and just the development, I feel like he is the second best tight end on this roster and I'm looking forward to big things from him. If there was a big tight end out there that that would be a reliable tight end, not just a block, but someone that can catch a few passes as well, I'd be very surprised if the Chargers didn't put in a claim and maybe swap out one of those guys for that. They've got so many pass catching weapons, they're so stacked in pass catchers. I do think they need a little bit more of a thumper, someone that can really clean clean somebody out.
Speaker 1: Just the idea of putting a.
Speaker 4: Badass blocking tight end next to, you know, next to Slater who's got Zion on the inside, and Lindsley there and just those four bodies coming at you as a wall, like that's exciting to me. Or someone that's pulling and you know, right before the snap, here's some big old tight end in motion running towards Slater and now he's cleaning somebody out. That's trying to creep up on the line of scrimmage. I do think I think that that they're missing that, just plain and simple. It has not quite developed for any of you know, Donald Parhum, Trey McKitty, have not developed that skill at an NFL level.
Speaker 3: We go to one road game a year. We're going to Lambau in November. As a bucket list. Any tips. Did you have a bar? Did you have a bar for Chad?
Speaker 4: I wish I could remember the name of it. It's a giant bar though you can't miss it. It's got an outdoor patio. It's got an outdoor like area, not a patio, it's a gigantic it's it's encircled by kind of like one of those wooden plank fences, you.
Speaker 3: Know what stopped which He's bringing four little kids and a wife, so maybe maybe it's not the best place for Chad to take.
Speaker 1: The care we go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I stayed. I can't remember where I stayed. It was, you know, kind of one of those family friendly breakfast is free indoor pool, whole place smells like chlorine, kind of joint whatever it was. I can't remember the name of it now, But like I said, I called games in Green Bay probably five six times when I was doing national radio, and you can't beat it, just the people are the best. Get there early, walk around. I've talked about it. Watching people play Ultimate on the lawn of a funeral home and in an ACDC cover band on the front porch of a Catholic church. You just you can't beat that, like it's hilarious. And so get there early. Make sure and you know, by the way, make sure you get the Lambeau early because they obviously have the museum in there, so you want to make sure you get there and take advantage of that as well. You know, don't get there too close to the game. Get there a couple hours early so you can really a walk the whole neighborhoods, and b make sure you get into Lambeau and check out the museum and everything there.
Speaker 3: Which player are you each most upset about missing the initial fifty three money? What do you think?
Speaker 4: So let's see as I put together what I think is going to be the practice squad.
Speaker 3: So how about the Zach Bailey brendan heimis I.
Speaker 4: Was surprising to me that's I thought Bailey outplayed him in the in the preseason. I thought Bailey had some really good snaps. He's I can't imagine he doesn't get claimed offensive lineman or it's such a premium at the same time we say it, you know, you have Foster Surrel that made it as the tackle, and you've got positional versatility with McFadden Himus because he has the center flexibility, I guess to have a third string center out there, and he did play tackle at Nebraska, so I was surprised. But again, you're talking about the ninth offensive lineman, So hopefully it doesn't come to that. What I think, if I had to pick one, it would probably Yeah, it'd probably be it probably be Gerrod Clark. I just like I really thought, again, I thought he had a lot of those hockey assists, as.
Speaker 1: I like to call him.
Speaker 4: He's not getting the he's not getting credit necessarily for the tackle or for the sack, but it's it's his push and his collapsing the pocket that led to a Koye sack, that led to Henley's sack that led to toy Polotu sack. He was a big part of those and for him to be a rookie to have, you know, he's listed six three three thirty. I've joked about it. He's three sixty. He's three fifty three sixty, and to be able to move the way he does is impressive. So that's one that that I thought maybe had a shot to make it. I'm not upset about any of these guys not making it. I thought Keelan DAWs had a great training camp. He's got super sure hands, which you love to see. You know, guy's gonna catch it if you throw it in his direction. Terrell Bidam had a really nice camp. The receiver out of sc to me, the one name that I really wanted to make it and we made it was no secret here, but it was Elijah Dotson. I wanted to see him make it. I wanted to see him rewarded for what was a great camp. Not to mention it was somebody that we kind of had tabbed early on as being excited about so selfishly confirmation bias. Like to see him make it, But I thought he was the one wild card of all of them that really deserved it. So for me, I'm super stoked on how the fifty three turned out.
Speaker 3: Money two more This is from Karris Bowling. What are your thoughts on how the Chargers defense can limit the Dolphins. We're going to really dig into this next week, but I would say, just fire up Sunday Night football last year and that would be the blueprint.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be similar. Keep him in front of you. You know, you had Josh here in the slot on Wattle almost that whole game, and just jam him, disrupt the timing, don't allow don't you know they They certainly took Tua out of his comfort zone. And remember they did it without Joey Bosa. So in this game, you're gonna have Joey Bosa out there along with Khalil Mack. It's I think it will look very similar to what we saw last year, and that is you just can't let him get behind you. It'll be a you're gonna have to beat us with twelve play drives to score.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: The only it was a fluke play that Tyreek Hills scored on. Otherwise the offense had nothing going in that game. You know, it was the fumble that was like a fumble Rooski that he was able to just pull out of the pile when no one was paying attention and took all the way. But other than that, they did a great job of keeping their linebackers a little bit deeper and and just pressing guys on the line saying, we're gonna knock off your rhythm and here's our second wave of defense, and then we're gonna have another wave of defense behind that, you know, our two shells or our two our shell to safety, two shells safety high. You know, that keeps another level of security in front of him. And it worked exceptionally, worked to a t. So I think it'll be very similar. Now. The question will be does Mike McDaniel instead of trying to instead of taking the cheese, which the charge has been very fortunate in the past where you face teams that have exceptional running games and for the coordinators that can't help themselves, they just it's weird. They don't understand that you're going to get credit for just running the ball. They're going to say, hey, way to go. I think it was Marty morning Wegg in Baltimore, if I remember right, I think he was the OC when he you know, you had I can't remember if it was God. I think it was Gus Edwards at that point, and Lamar Jackson and he comes out throwing the football all over the place in that wild card game and it's like, is he really going to do this? And it held through like the whole game, and they just were trying to show that Lamar Jackson can throw the football and we're not just a running team. And that happened last year in Miami, like they were running the football really well. Mike McDaniel was like, no, we're gonna throw it all over the yard and thank you appreciate it.
Speaker 3: So I think it was a shocking part of that game. Money did did? Did they win? Run? Because the Chargers run defense was vulnerable too, and I thought that that would be a way to get going on the road, right, run the football.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think the I think the Miami offense will look different this year than it did last year. They're gonna try to attack with the run, but it's gonna just the Chargers run defense is gonna be so different because Joey's out there and because you do have depth now on that interior defensive line. It looks like Austin Johnson's gonna be ready to play. So you're gonna have your starting front four of Bash and Johnson and Bosa and Mack and behind him. Now you're gonna have Eric Hendricks, You're gonna have throwing up on that line up. So it's gonna be it's gonna look different, is what I should say that. I think Brandon Staley's scheme is the same, but Mike mc daniels probably gonna run the ball a lot more then.
Speaker 3: The other wrinkle to that is Vic Fangio is a defensive coordinator. What does he have for Justin and killing.
Speaker 4: He's always got something, always got something, So he's got something. Some of the best in the business.
Speaker 3: So you know, I think we'll end on this one. This is an appropriate question to end on money from a rich I think it's Rich Mollard. What do the Chargers need to accomplish to qualify it as a successful season. It's a good question.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've been asked this a lot and all the interviews I've been doing leading up to the season, and to me, look, Brandon Staley's not gonna want to hear it, Norrith Tom t LESCo. But just the way they work to their money this offseason, they expect to win the Super Bowl, or at least they expect to be incredibly competitive in the playoffs, the playoffs or a crapshoot, you just you gotta punch your ticket to the tournament. And once you get in, you don't want to be embarrassed. You want to play a tight game against a very good team, give it your best and hopefully you win. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. That's to me as a successful season. If you're in the tournament and if you're playing an exceptional whatever team you face is going to be really good, and if you you know, win or lose, you play your best football. And sometimes you just got to tip your cap to the other team because they had a better day than you. But the way the Spanos has moved money around and they didn't cut anybody when we thought they were gonna cut Keenan Allen, they might have to cut Khalil Mack that they might you know that Mike Williams might get traded. Like think of all the speculation we had prior to the summer because we knew Justin Herbert was going to be getting a quarter of a billion dollars and we're like, well, they're gonna have to remake this roster. There's gonna have to be some sacrifice. And it's probably gonna be Keenan Allen. No, they push that money to the next year, which signals we think we can win this year. We're willing to take one more crack at it. We've shoved all this Bosa, Mike Williams, Keenan Allen, tens of millions of dollars into next year when we'll have to pay that bill. But for this year, we're keeping them together and we're going to make a run at this. So it's it's the whole thing, is what they're thinking to me. I measure success by winning the division, or at least winning a bus bunch of games in a very competitive division that you end up maybe getting the number one wild card because you're playing in the toughest division or have one of the toughest teams in your division, that kind of thing, and then acquitting yourself exceptionally in the postseason, win or lose.
Speaker 3: I think a successful season would be to finally dethrone the Chiefs in the AFC West because you got all the guys to do it. You've been so close, and at least getting to the divisional round or the AFC Championship game. You look at this conference money, and we talk about all the franchise quarterbacks. I think the Pittsburgh Steelers in the New England Patriots going to make the playoffs this year and they don't have the quarterbacks that we're talking about. So do the math, you know, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson, Joe Burrow, Deshaun Watson, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Herbert. Did I say Aaron Rodgers TUA. You know that Dolphins team is expecting to make the puffs. It's been a lot of disappointed teams in the ANFC this year. Sean Payton and Russell Wilson think they're going to do it. You know who knows what the Raiders are with Jimmy Jimmy g wins games. I don't think the Raiders have a great roster right now compared to the rest of the AFC, But Jimmy g wins games.
Speaker 4: I'll say that, like I hear that a lot, And I say, Jimmy g wins games with the best supporting roster in the league. Like, let's not forget that roster without the quarterback is probably the best roster in the league. When you're talking about offensive line receivers, running backs, defensive line coach. So I know that Jimmy won with Kyle Shanahan, but so did Rock Party, mister irrelevant, And if you go back and watch the Rock Party film, it's okay, it's it's okay, it's it's not what everybody's making it out to be. So I don't have a lot of faith in the Raiders, right, It's like, yeah, I don't have it, but but I think everybody else, Yeah, everybody else.
Speaker 3: Ryan Tannehill, Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 4: You know, if it's a rough schedule, it's a rough Yeah, it's not going to be a really rough schedule.
Speaker 3: If you get to the divisional round in the AFC, I think that's a heck of an accomplishment and something to build on. Basically, you don't want to go backwards, right, nine and eight stalies first year, ten and seven, get to the playoffs a second. This needs to be an AFC West Crown and or get to the divisional round and make your presence felt in the AFC.
Speaker 4: So, Chris, here's I just opened up my Twitter because I just got peppered and I'm sure you saw it too, with a handful of these. So let's see if we can just clean them out real quick. Where's this one? What positional group do you think could take the next step and becoming elite? I'll answer these quickly. Linebacker. To me, it's it's no question Eric Hendrick is going to have an impact. I'm everything I hear from all the coaches is that Canine is ready to take a big step, and we know Dana Henley's going to be exceptional. So to me, it's it's not even close. Position group needs more depth. I think we talked about that already. You know, maybe a blocking tight end would be nice. What type of season is stay need to keep his job?
Speaker 1: Success?
Speaker 4: I thought I thought Brandon Staley's taken some incoming that I don't think is warranted considering the injuries from last year, in the fact they won ten games. Team was completely destroyed by injuries, and he was able to win ten games and be the number one Wild Cards. So the idea that that he's on this crazy gauntlet run in order to keep his job, I don't quite think is is accurate. When a playoff game or more blah blah blah. That's Zach Bailey. He was the best O line player this offseason. Eh, let's not forget Zion and Jamari were out there. So but at the same time, Handan I would say, again, you're talking about the ninth alignement. Hopefully you don't have to to see him at all. That's the idea is your backup you know you have you have Slyers your backup tackle, and then someone else comes in to play guard, which McFadden I thought played very well. I'm I have I have faith in McFadden as that player that can potentially come in. So I would say, you know that's that's that's all right by me. I want you want to freak out over Himus versus Bailey, whatever, that's do it. I thought Bailey was better too, but it's not going to freak out over it.
Speaker 3: And money, you know, things move quick. Schefter just tweeted this Chargers claim. Linebacker Tanner muse on waivers from the Steelers. This was a third round pick of the Raiders a few years back, played with the Seahawks Steelers for camp and now he's gonna be a Charger.
Speaker 4: So uh yeah, that's the Chargers put into claim, which means someone's out. You can't you can't make a claim and then put that player on your practice squad that's got to be on your active roster. And Muse comes in as far and Albert Brier just posted all the waiver claims and none of the Chargers players were claimed, which means good news for now. They they'll they'll get all those Zach Bailey'll make it to the practice squad. Going back to that conversation we just had a second ago. Both receivers, Keelan Dass, high Tower, all the things that you know, J Clark, the players that were asked about how could this guy not make it? Well, they all made it. They're they're gonna be on the practice squad and likely AJ Finley would be my guess we'll join them in place of Tanner Muse.
Speaker 3: So there you go. We went about an hour talking about the fifty three men roster getting ready for week one. I can't wait. Yeah, year seven of Chargers Weekly and it hasn't been better the last couple of years having money a part of this. So I can't wait for another season with you man Dolphins on deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking forward to it. Brother.
Speaker 3: All right, guys for money, I'm Chris. This has been Charges Weekly. We'll see you next week.