Speaker 1: Mute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to SOFTWAB Radio Special Operations, Military Models on straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on? Welcome to another episode of soft Rep Radio. I am your host, rad and I have a very special guest with me. But first, as I must mention, we have a merch store soft rep dot com. Go check out the merch store. Go pick up some cool gadgets. We've got torches on there with two thousand lumens which is a flashlight. We've got like first aid kids, all sorts of shirts. Go check it out. And I also want to recommend our book club, which is soft rep dot Com Forward Slash Book hyphen Club. Go check that out, read a book, gain some mental knowledge, and then let's talk about it somewhere on the internet. Okay, but without further ado, I have Dean Stott former SBS, which is Special Boat Service, not to be confused with Special Air Service.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's all right, that is correct, Yeah, very correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also extreme athlete, father, husband, someone who misses his family when he has to deploy and has to write letters or thinks about them, you know, This is somebody who's living a life among us, probably teaches soccer to his kids and next to your kids. You know, these are folks that just go above and beyond the athletic spectrum, right, extreme athletes like Olympians and Dean you fall into that, I know, you know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, purely by accident. Yeah, but it was Yeah, it's true, Yeah, it is true. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean one of the things that I've investigated, you know, through getting ready to talk with you, is that you did a fourteen thousand mile trek all the way to Alaska from Timbuctoo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the bottom of argent then the southern tip of Argentina to northern Alaska's it's the world's longest road runs as you touched on fourteen thousand miles or twenty two thousand kilometers depending where your listeners come from. But yeah, it was a world record attempt, and I'd never cycled more than twenty miles before I applied for the world record, and so just sort of decided, no, I wanted to test myself. I always wanted to do a will record, and you know, as a young boys to read the Guinness Book of Records. But unfortunately had a parachute injury which shortened my career in the Special Boat Service.
Speaker 4: I did sixteen years and had to leave.
Speaker 3: And so the will Record had to be a challenge or had to be a sport that wasn't gonna be hampering my knee. And so yeah, my wife then found the world's longest road. I'd only cycled twenty miles I at the age of forty, I applied for the will Record and six weeks later Guinness said, yes, you've been successful on your on your application.
Speaker 2: Well here was that that you went through with that?
Speaker 3: So that was I applied for the will Record in twenty sixteen and I set off. It was first of February twenty eighteen, so only five years ago from now.
Speaker 2: So congratulations on getting that world record achievement. It's not like you're just stacking pennies in a minute, okay, like who could step the most pennies in a minute. You know, it's like you're putting your body. You're like you're saying, I just want to make sure I'm not going to hamper my knee, right, everything else seems to be good on you. You know. Funny you said you were jumping out of an airplane when that happened. Yeah, my dad being a former SF guy Green Beret, they dropped him on a night jump out here in Utah. But his whole team got hurt when they were above the mountain. But it was a night jump and they couldn't see the mountain below, but the elevation was at stacked. Yeah. Yeah, so I dropped them on the mountain in a Elvis's broken things. My dad got head injuries, you know, team just in training.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can imagine, Yeah, we did. I was very fortunate when I joined the SBS. It was a business time in UKSF history. You know, we were the SAS were in Iraq, the SPS. We're in Afghanistan, rescue hostages off the east coast of Africa. So we're doing a lot in a short period of time which guys before has had probably been waiting ten, fifteen, twenty years in their career to do. So I was fortunate to do the first ever operational jump for the SBS, and that was in Afghanistan.
Speaker 4: And so I can I can relate to what your father was saying.
Speaker 3: There is actually because of the high grounds, you know, the altitude, and there was a couple of occasions, Yeah, where you know, we had it slightly wrong and thought we had still two and a half three thousand footmen and next thing we've connected with the side of the hill. But yeah, it's part and parcel of Yeah, jumping at altitude, especially with a different attitude from.
Speaker 2: The DZ or at nighttime was just a night time time.
Speaker 3: Everything's at there. Everything we do is at nighttime, you know. Yeah, they call his green eyes.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, actually got your not you got night vision hunt, you got your.
Speaker 3: Night vision on. Yeah, and that's it. That all the all the Taliban knows as his green eyes because any time grazed at night. Yeah, that's actually could be actually picking up on their icon chat when you know that they're talking about is they're talking about green eyes the reference in.
Speaker 2: So they could pick it up there, they've got something that's picking up your green ice. They've got night vision, they're probably picking up night vision.
Speaker 3: Night vision not so much they had it, but you know they they can you know, close up, they see that's all they can see around the right here. Yeah, it's just around the base, you know. So we're kicking indoors. That's all their references to. So they don't references to specific units. They just say green eyes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the light from the night vision is on the skull sock of the ice sockets. Yeah, I got you. The same with thermals, they do the same thing. So we do war games here in Utah and we hunt guys that he's got. My guys got thermals, and I like to hunt him because when you get a predator like that, like you know, the thermal guy, Yeah, there's just something that you put in your the notch of your gun right there. It's like I'm going to notch that. Yeah, but he's still sucked into tunnel vision because he's still using that technology. You know. It's just like you know, obviously you forget some senses around you, but if you're not using it, you'll see that glowing eye socket. It is true.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, yeah, And technologies have banned so much over the years. I remember picking up my first firm limagure back in nineteen ninety nine in Egypt on an exercise, and this thing had a gaspot all the size of my chest, which we had to you know, twist on them, and you know, it almost had to start this thing up. It was making a noise, and now you get these handheld flirts and you know depth perception now on the mvgs. You know, it's so it's so different from when the first generation. I'm currently we'll probably share a bit later, but I can't go into too much detail. But I'm currently doing an episode documentary on the Special Forces with one of the biggest broadcasters in the world. Well, that's one thing that's really stood out to me as we've been visiting these units is the evolution of equipment and how equipment has changed so much. And when I was in you know, first generation plate carriers, which you know is probably the weight of this table, to like now these things I don't even know, like.
Speaker 2: A three D near nylon, it's like three hundred. It's not even five hundred. It's not even a thousand cordua. It's like, you know, these different weights because guys like you are carrying such a load then are moving through a lot of you know, terrain and having to get from point A to point B. The lighter the load, the better the movement on your body. So now it's like the laser cut Molly inside of all of the vests, taking off the webbing the West.
Speaker 3: Now, yeah, yeah, it's one last thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of the nations who went to I can't really go into detail, but.
Speaker 3: They had the old style jungle webin that I was used to on my selection, and then my two co hosts were there with all the modern stuff and I said, no, I'm using the old stuff again. Just just one one lasting Like.
Speaker 2: Alice Harness on your body, it moves with you, you know, it just does right am on this side, this side, it does, it really does. Well, that's awesome. And so you know, we talked so cordially, but you are super super famous for you know, doing your shows, right, you want to tell me a little bit about the shows that you're you can talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, actually I don't know whether I'm more famous to the shows. How I sort of came into becoming a public figure where it started as we touched on I had I had that parachuting accident after sixteen years, and so unfortunately I had to leave the Special Forces. I never I never really, I never had perception. I never had any aspirations of leaving the military at all. I was a lifer. I was going to go onto my twenty two I was going to get commissioned, and I was going to stay until I was until they kicked me out. Basically I didn't want to be a civilian. But unfortunately, the parachute accident, you know, changing the course and direction of your life, and so I ended up, you know, leaving the military of sixteen years or I'd never known from the age of seventeen to now thirty three, coming on thirty four, was that military environment as with you. My father was in the military, My grandparents were in the military. I grew up, as we call them, a pads brat or military brat. Yeah, we call them paths brat. And you know, because a pad is your home, your homes were called pads. So that's what I was, pads brat and so that's all I ever really, ever, really knew.
Speaker 4: And then you know, change of direction.
Speaker 3: Met my wife. My wife and I were together anyway, and she's very entrepreneur or entrepreneurial.
Speaker 2: And credit too, right I think.
Speaker 3: Yes, she's an awful now as well. Yeah, but she you know, when you're in the military, the military will protect you know, they provide the heat and the accommodation everything else. You know, they take all those distractions away from you so you can focus on the job that you need to be doing. And so I was worried about entering this alien environment, which was a civilian environment for me, but my wife, you know, took those distractions away from me and without sounding like leam Neiss. And people with our skill sets naturally go on to the private securities sector. And so my screen's frozen.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I see you just like to see me, okay, cool?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, So people with our skill sets and naturally go onto the security industry. And so within forty eight hours, I was out in Libya join the Arab Spring, helping set up the British embassy in Benghazi. But I soon identified that a lot of the big security companies were charging six seven figure sums for crisis management, evacuation plans, stuff that's not in place, and as we've seen more recently in Afghanistan, they still haven't sorted themselves out, but still selling the service. And so I bought thirty weapons on the black market and I buried them between Tunis and Egypt and designed my only evacuation plans and sold them to the audience. So I was starting to then get a reputation within the security industry. You know, I was learning in a short period of time the whole about the security sector. You know, when I tell people I'm in the secure industry, they think you're because of the way you look and that the build you are, you're a dormant from the local nightclub. You know. It's everything from surveillance, close protection, coaching, mentoring, you know, geopolitical analysis. There's so much in that arena, and I was learning a lot quickly. I just finished the London Olympics in twenty twelve. When you're American and I was in Benghazi the evening your American ambassador got killed and made a movie. Yeah, they made a movie thirteen hours. So I was in the city that evening and I single handedly got a German oil company from Benghazi back to TRIPLEI through safe houses that I had, so I'd proven the concept of my evacuation plan. And then two years later, I'm at the Brazil World Cup again, another big sporting event and joining you know, doing security, but and join the environment. And then I get a phone call from the Canadian embassy in Libya telling me that it's now the Tripoli War, which is a civil war between the militias and the government, and all the embassies had shut shop and gone, all the security companies and left and they were stuck behind. But they'd know that I had a reputation to help people in in these situation. So I went back in and I single handed and evacuated the Canadian MBC out of Libya on my own, eighteen military and four diplomats. Yeah, and so when I came back from that trip, that's when my wife highlighted to me that I'd only been home twenty one days in a three hundred and sixty five day period.
Speaker 4: And this is five years from my injury.
Speaker 3: And so I was trying to match adrenin rush I had when I was in the Special Forces without coming to terms with the fact that I had left. And so something needed to change. And so at this point I'm still very much under the radar, you know, people don't really know of me outside the SF community. It was then that I decided I was going to do the bike ride. But before that I had been approached by TV crews said, look, we've heard about you. You know, we're doing this show called Sas Who Dares Wins? Do you know we want you to be the chief instructor. But for me, I was always conscious of maintaining my reputation within the group.
Speaker 4: You know, I didn't you know, it was very new, this world and media.
Speaker 2: All of a suddenly it's just like you had a and said, you know, I don't mind telling my story because you go from.
Speaker 3: No so I in a different Yeah. So I turned down that opportunity. I actually one of my friends who just come out of prison was in the Special Forces. One of the other guys had postal out stress who couldn't work in the secure industry, so they were really struggling for work.
Speaker 4: And I said, well, look speak to these guys.
Speaker 3: You know, for me, I'm still smuggling people across borders, so it doesn't help when you're on TV or you're a public figure. They went on that show then became a huge hit in the UK. You know, my wife says, oh, why do you turn it down? But for me, it's about maintaining that reputation within. But that's when I decided. You know, when I came back after the Canadian empcy, my wife's like, you know, you're taking too.
Speaker 4: Many risks in these to change, And so that's.
Speaker 3: When we decided, you know, I would go work with her, but having her my backstory, I wasn't. She was a she was a property developer. So I would go join on these architects and planners meetings, and I just she could see I was just bored. I had no interest in what.
Speaker 2: These guys and choosing you know, door frames, h flipping houses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, stick in my eyes, you know what I mean, Just try to stay away. And then so she said, look, you need to do something to keep yourself physically mentally engage. And that's when we then decided to do the bike ride. And then because of the bike ride, you know, Prince Harry and I are good friends, been good friends fifteen years. Did the jay Tach course, Yeah, did the jay Tag course together, did a lot of charity work. You know, I rang him up, told him about this bike ride I was doing. You know, we did it for one of his charities. We set a target of a million pounds. The world record was one hundred and seventeen.
Speaker 2: Was brilliant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so you know, so really we didn't do it for you know, to expose ourselves. We did it so I wasn't taking risks and stuff. But also giving back to the community. But a year later, yeah, I wrote, I smashed the will record by seventeen days. I came the first man in history to do an under hundred days. But more impressively, my wife raised one point three million dollars. So that's when your profile and that's when you then became exposed. But where it sat well with the SF community is the fact that they knew I could have gone the quick option and done TV and done it that way, but they actually said, well, you're actually representing the community in a good light. You know. The one point three million dollars went to various mental health charities and stuff, and so we did it in a slower manner rather than trying to grab any sort of fame and stuff like that. We did it, you know, we actually we I didn't look beyond the bike ride. I didn't see a career in guest speaking, a book, doing other TV. I did it because you're focused. I needed that myself, like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Put one foot in front of the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. Yeah, And the bike ride was a perfect challenge and I'd never I could before. But you know, I've done a lot of stuff in the military area, done a lot in the private security sector.
Speaker 4: I literally took a military set of.
Speaker 3: Orders and put it on this challenge and just crossed out ammunition, you know, because the military great planet projects like this and so and for me the sort of character that I am, I can't just buy a bike and go join the local cycle club.
Speaker 2: It has to be your full send is what we call it in the snowboard world. Bro, It's like your full sand You just got to Yeah. It's like if you're going to do something, you're just not gonna half asset. You're just gonna go all in. It's like if I got a tattoo, what's the biggest It's not just like a little tattoo. I just got to go like all in. It's like, So that's that thought process or snowboarding for me, I'm just all in you Yeah, yeah, hard Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: So yeah, So that's how we ended up in this situation in becoming more of a public figure and doing other TV just purely by accident, thrue charity work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I had.
Speaker 2: A pushing the human experience, you know, you're pushing the human element to fourteen thousand miles on a bike, you know, and you're doing it in another seventeen days of the other traditional record and now you own the record. There's something to be said about that, you know, just where was the biggest struggle to get through? Like, was anybody like you can't cross this land, We're not going to let you, and you're like, you don't understand.
Speaker 3: So I spoke to the previous record holders. When I started doing the research on this. You know, I wasn't a cyclist. I started buying cycling magazines and I was learning a lot from them, but I wasn't getting the information I needed for the challenge. You know, the best people speak to those that have done it before you. You know, people who've been on the ground. So you know, one of the reasons like the UK Special for is one of the best in the world, it's not because of the caliber of the guides or the training. It's because we're always learning. You know, anyone, you know, you have to always be learning. You're never an expert at everything, you know. That's why one of our ethos is the unrelenting pursuit of excellents. We're always pursuing our excellence, never reach it. And so every time we used to come off the ground, whether it's on operations or training or whatever we do, and it's a great model or template for anyone in life or business. We had a thing called the hot debrief, and a hot debrief, you know, before we go clean our weapons, get showered and get fed, sit there with the ops officer. But it's still fresh in our minds, and you'd ask us free questions. You know, what worked, what didn't work, and if we were to do that again, that operation, what would we do differently? So we're always learning from it. So I asked those three questions to the previous record holders and they all started in Alaska, finished in Argentina. You can get a vehicle all the way from Alaska to Argentina if you cross the Daring Gap, which is between Panama and Columbia, but all the issues are in South and Central America, languages, spares for the bike bureaucracy. So being a military guy, I was like, well, why take a gamble with the second half of the challenge. Why would you not address those issues early and get them out of the way, and then once you're in America you're so that's why, you know. One of the things I was quite proud of just because everyone decided to go north south didn't mean it was the right way. And I went some south north and planned it the other way around. But you you know, you we we had all sorts of issues of strong winds that you know, I got food poison in Peru.
Speaker 2: I crashed food poison.
Speaker 3: Just yeah. Well, actually I met you guys when I was in Dubai. I know, I looked at where I was, where I was cycling. The Atta Kama Desert in Chile is like the driest, non popular desert in the world. It was forty seven degrees centigrade, like one twenty plus fahrenheit for a week with no shame. And so you know, I've been very fortunate in the military. I've been to the jungle, the desert, the Arctic, you know, but I haven't done it on a pushbike.
Speaker 4: So I wanted to.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to take a risk on the challenge and find that actually you struggle at cycling at heat or at altitude or in the snow, and so I replicated those circumstance, all those scenarios before I am went on the challenge. So I flew out to Dubai and did heat training out there. Yeah, satisfy myself. And I met to two gentlemen, they Axel and Andreas. They had the South America will Record as a pair, and they said, you will get food poisoning at some point, but know that you can still cycle with food poisoning. So I did. I got food poison in Peru. But fortunately for me going from south to north from a cycling perspective, it was a good decision. I had a tailwind all the way through Peru. That's two five hundre kilometers of tailwind. So although I had food poisoning, it wasn't as laborious. It wasn't as hard to cycling because I had that wind behind me. So I was still doing one hundred and fifty miles a day with food poisoning. You know, it's still it still wasn't pleasant. I like to call Peru who rather than that was my experience?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you were just like pushing through it just to get through the ailment. Because yeah, I mean, geez, how many days total was it? Ninety nine days is what you were on that track?
Speaker 4: It was ninety nine days.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I took ten days off to South America will Record, and then I got I got into I got into North America America Del Rio on day seventy and I was fourteen days ahead of the will record and I'm like perfect. You know, my wife's the campaign director.
Speaker 4: She was running.
Speaker 3: She got me to sponsorship, she fundraised, She took all those distractions away from me, so all I had to do was focus on the on the bike ride and she rang me up. Literally had five miss calls when I got into Texas. And I don't know what it was getting into Texas, but it was just like a huge, a huge relief, a huge weight off the shoulders. It was almost like being on escaping evasion and getting to the war RV. I don't know if it was because you know, the language, everyone spoke the same language, the culinary options, you know, the food was probably you know, more familiar with it, or the fact that having spoken.
Speaker 2: Was their supplies pretty much, even though there is no supplies in the world, we seem to have some still, yeah you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And I had a support team with me with bikes.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I respect, but I think it was the fact that having spoken, the previous record holders, all those issues well behind you, behind us, You're behind me, so we're on the We're on the home run. And so it was like a huge relief, but that that soon that soon changed. Within an hour, I had five misscalls off my wife and I'm like, oh, there's obviously something wrong with the children. And she ran me to tell me invited to Harry and Meghan's wedding. I said that's nice, and she goes, no, you don't understand. You need to now be finished day one hundred and two, and so going into the phone call, I was fourteen days ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm now ten minutes later.
Speaker 3: I'm now a day behind, and so I yeah, so all those efforts before me had to change.
Speaker 4: So that was probably one of the.
Speaker 2: Homies for me. You're a homie a holly right there. Yeah, You're like, all right, all right, you're like that, that's a homie. There's that's friendship, right, is it? I love that. I love that your friends with the Prince and or Harry with yeah and the fairy. Yeah yeah, you know, yeah awesome, how awesome? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So so yeah, so yeah, I had to change the way that I cycled. I got to love it. In Texas, we had sixty mile an hour winds and tornadoes, so I was. I was grounded now for another twenty four hours, so I was now two days behind. So there's a there's an app on your phone called Windy TV, and it gives you the strength and directions of the winds forecasted every hour for the next two weeks.
Speaker 4: And so I just changed the plan. I just put pen to paper.
Speaker 3: I had to cycle three hundred and forty miles in the next thirty six hours to miss the next weather window. And the majority of my cycling was done at night because that's when the winds had subsided.
Speaker 4: So I just played chess with mother Nature found not like it winds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and also use it to my advantage. I got to shy End oh wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of open space there.
Speaker 3: Picked up a beautiful yeah, I picked up a beautiful tail wind wind I covered. I did two hundred seventy miles and eleven hours with ten thousand feet of climbing. You know, so was also using it. So I had seventeen days planned for North America. Originally I cycled eleven and a half days. So you know, the success of this challenge was the fact that you know the start point in your object active, which is always the same. It was just being reactive to the situation changes on the ground as they happen. Other people may have struggled and been like, you know, been a bit overwhelming, but for me, I'm used to that. In the Special Forces, you get dropped into and security. You get dropped into these situations and you don't know what the infrastructure is like, you don't know what you're gonna expect, but you still have an objective and you do everything in your power to meet that objective.
Speaker 2: Completed. Its wonderful. So okay, let's just pick up what you meant. You brought it up. You brought up you know, the wedding, and so the day is now what and you've made it to Alaska.
Speaker 3: So made it to Alaska on day I did it sort of going back again slightly because there was another curve as well.
Speaker 4: I was a week outside and.
Speaker 3: I was in a town called white Horse, and I was eating as I was eating about.
Speaker 4: Big meals, you know, I mean, I was losing weight.
Speaker 3: I was losing weight from the day that I started to So I finished and my mate ranked the two gentlemen I met in Dubai told me about this guy who's he's a professional cyclist. He does.
Speaker 4: This is a living.
Speaker 3: He's got three Whill records, sponsored by all the big brands, red Ball. He's about twenty six years old, you know, he's in his prime. And he come out on social media and said that he was going to cycle the Pan American Highway and be the first man to do it under hundred days. And so for me, I was that, well, I can't. You know, I was well within my will record, and I thought, well if I if I don't push on even harder and try to get in on a one hundred days, you know, would I be able to live with myself.
Speaker 4: So I had to cycle for twenty.
Speaker 3: Two hours in the last thirty hours in minus eighteen in the snow in Prudeo Bay to come in under that one hundred day things. So again, even to the very last day, the plan was changing or the objective was changing. So it was a huge fee. Obviously achieved it under one hundred days, but more impressively, Alana raised one point three million dollars for charity as well, which was huge. So as you touched on, we then had to like my found my wife and kids. I think they're the only kids ever to be at prude Obaker as an oil rig as hotels up there, and so yeah, the I don't think you call them right, yeah, reflect on the Yeah, they were on the they were on the flight from Anchorage to prude Obey and wondering why there's like an eighteen month old baby and a you know, a five year old five year old sorry, six year old girl on it.
Speaker 2: The program and new generation.
Speaker 3: Yeah they haven't seen Yeah, they'd never seen kids before. So yeah, we left there, went via Anchorage and flew back to UK and I got back to the UK probably two days before the wedding, but as soon as I landed. The first day was fifteen TV and radio interviews. The next day was fifteen TV radio interviews, just prior to the wedding. And him and I saw each other briefly as he came out the castle one day to see the public. He ran over and saw that, you know, I saw that I was there. Lost my weight, Yeah, I lost about twenty five pounds in Weiters well from the challenge. But what was really frustrating, not frustrating, it's I didn't really get time to a get used to being around my family again, you know, and started rebuilding that bond with them and just spend time, and I really appreciate what we'd achieved as a family as well, me and Alana and his two a huge high, the world's biggest event that was going on, you know, the world's cameras, and so, I mean all the questions I had were how are you feeling about the wedding?
Speaker 4: And then post wedding was you know, what did you eat?
Speaker 3: What did you drink? And I'm like, really, I've just record to records the first man in history and raised one point three million dollars, but no one was interested. It was almost like the wedding had overshadowed what you'd done. So for me personally, been.
Speaker 2: So like what you eat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's like yeah, yeah, I would have loved to have had had that time to take on board what I'd done before. We hadn't had a huge high, you know, great for me in Alana, but again at the wedding, I was still coming to terms in fact what I've done and being around people again. And then all of a sudden You're immersed with the Beckhams and Clooneys, the you know of the world in the same little room.
Speaker 2: And you go from this again regimented lifestyle, right is when I so when I started working out in boxing. I've just been going every day now, and then when I miss a day, it's like I'm guilty of something. Yeah, right, I'm like I should be there, they're there, I'm not there. Why are they there? And I'm not there? But I have to take my kid to like back to school, so I had to step away take care of the family, right, because that's what's important. That's what even put me off today was going back to my son's first day of high school here and walking them through his classes to make sure he knows where he's going. And I'm just like, I'm so glad I'm done school on that level. But I'm always learning still, Dean. It's the same thing you say. You can't just stop. You can't just say, oh, I'm the teacher now, you have to always be the student. Like that's that's always learning, right, Just always what's up, what's down? And what would you do differently on the mission? And you know when I do my war games with my team here, we have those same things. We have a hot wash at the very end of every night game. We're like how'd everybody do? Give us one up and one down? Well, my weapon wasn't cleaned and I could have done better. Okay, what went up? Well, the team performed well for me, you know, et cetera. So what's the one up and one down? And I think if we just you know, you can do that in your daily life. You can one up and one down? What went good for me today? And what could I do differently? It's not just something that you know, guys with a whiteboard in their office. A lot of Special Forces guys have a long whiteboard and they sit there and they write on this whiteboard all the way out for like four or five years of their lives. I've seen it. My dad did it. I know other SF guys that still have it who are out of the military. But it's like somewhere there's a whiteboard and they're proper planning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's all about that, I mean, and then just yeah, proper planning and also not a bit on my bike ride, you know, planning was key.
Speaker 4: You know, when I do guest speaking, I contradict myself.
Speaker 3: Guys. I talk about the importance of the planning and the planning that went into the beginning, but then also not being too upset when the plan has to change. You know, that is a plan. It's good to have a plan, but there needs to be flexibility in that plan as well.
Speaker 2: Well. That's just like making a decisive decision in a situation where you're like what do I do and you're like, well, I got to go right or left? You're gonna deal with going left or you're going going right, whatever it is. You just got to make that decision.
Speaker 3: Stick with your decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then's fix it. We should lean right instead of left, lean.
Speaker 4: Don't go right, and then just keep looking left, right.
Speaker 2: Right, right, exactly, yeah, exactly. That's awesome, dude. And so you know as SBS, that's Special Boat Service. You came from the regiment though, right, is that the army regiment? Is that right? No?
Speaker 3: No, So I came. I came from the Army. I was in the engineers. I was I did. I was a commando reconnaissance so paratrooper and a commando. I was also a diver in the military. So I'd served since young around it was green berry, yeah, so save me the Royals, the coveted green Beret, and so I spent my time working with Rayal Marines. I was an instructordo course as well. And and but but as you touched on you to go SS, you chorries to go SBS. You had before I went was one hundredcent Raal Marines. The se S would take Marines, Army Force, et cetera. But actually the Marines were losing a lot of candidates to the S E S because they didn't like the diving, so they then decided to open up Try service. So unlike here in the US where you have Delta Force have their own selection process and dev grew six Yeah, their own one as is the same s S and SBS is exactly the same six month selection.
Speaker 4: People don't know that we don't have a separate one.
Speaker 3: So it's not as if like I'm going to SBS because it's it's harder or easier than the SS.
Speaker 2: It's the same. You know. I've actually got a funny story about I've stood on the spot where the SBS was created at Fort Cumberland, really inside the room. I had a spot of t just last year as matter of fact, and I got to go and check out a seventeenth century journal. Yeah, and I didn't realize what I was looking at first, you know, and the guy's like, oh, yea, it's a seventeenth century urinal and I said, oh, let me check this out. And I was like, yeah, that's where you piss, mate. And I was like, oh, you're all right, And so he turned his head lighter and his head torch on, and I'm in there and it's this seventeenth century stoned out piss at Fort Cumberland. Right, what a great And then I also got a picture in front with my buddy Big Phil, who took me to Fort Cumberland to go check this stuff out, in front of this Royal Marine statue that stands about thirty feet tall. It's out front of Yeah. Yeah, yeah a photo.
Speaker 4: Oh you're down down in Portsmouth. Yeah, that's down in ports.
Speaker 2: Hampton area, right Southampton?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's yeah, Yeah, that's right, that's it. Yeah and pool SBS Where to Portsmouth Southampton and then Pool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's all on the south.
Speaker 2: And then I learned that they used Fort Cumberland down there to trick the Lufwaffa during World War Two to set up the boats out on the harbor as city lights. So when the LUFWAFFA would fly back through bombing raids and they didn't want to indiscriminately just drop their ordinance. They're dropping in the sea.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And across the way is Normandy and Utah and yeah enough, yeah no. And I stood there on those shores and I looked over like as if Napoleon was coming at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, but yeah, so yeah, much disgusting my friends in the in the says. I went to the SBS and we started with two hundred, and then six months later eight pass and I was one of those. And now fifteen percent of the sps come from the army.
Speaker 2: So yeah, right right, so SBS, you're probably Ali, right, Ali Architon, Ali's SBS.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't, I didn't serve, and he was he was out when I when I went in. But him and I just did show together in Australia, Australia.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know, and all he did the rumble where he boxed against the Navy seal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I did. I didn't want. I don't know that much boxing coming from all.
Speaker 2: The guys that stepped in that ring are just good at my book.
Speaker 3: A good Yeah, cool, I did. I did someone to send me a picture? Yeah no, but yeah no OLLI but purely from post military. Yeah yeah, that's not the.
Speaker 2: Same show though. Now it's just a small world, small world. I'll get him on here, Yeah, I'll get him on here.
Speaker 3: Smoke community.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah. Hey. So you know you say there's a lot of family in your life, right, you're talking about the support system of your wife helping you transition from military to civilian to back to regrouping with the family and focusing on your you know, transition. So you know, big shout out to your wife. And doesn't she have a book that we can mention?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so my wife act she talked about road and we've just been in Scotland.
Speaker 4: My wife's just been honor the MBE from King Charles.
Speaker 3: So we're in Scotland a month ago.
Speaker 2: The bad the MBE. That's the bad Yeah yeah, the number one badge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I think well there's other ones is over right, yeah for Civillian Yeah, remember the most excellent Order the British Empire. It sounds very archaic.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So she she obviously did the fundraising the fight ride, but she works a lot in modern slavey and human trafficking. So there was her services to that, which was good because you know, everyone sort of sees me, but you know, I always talk quite highly of her and what she what she's done and achieved. So for me, that was great and the fact that you know, she's been recognized for that. But yeah, she has a book. She has two books. Actually one's a business book, how to Ask for Money. And so as a non cyclist, you can imagine trying to get sponsorship for a challenge that is she got me. She got me half a million pounds sponsorship as a non cyclist and then raised one point three million dollars. So so the book's great whether you're in nonprofit or we're in business. She has her own formula being able to how to ask.
Speaker 2: For it's just really the book is exactly what you want to do. How to ask for money sounds just like Yeah.
Speaker 3: She then started writing because we were chatting with someone we worked with wealth management, and they said, I don't like talking about money or asking for money. Well, this is your job and said, no, you know it's in most people's top ten years. Okay, she she's that I love asking for money. So she she put that down and did her own book, and then she has a.
Speaker 5: She has a hug, she who dares, Yeah, she who thees so tell us about her life story as well, and then with my book, you know, there's my side of the story.
Speaker 3: I mean that she'll be telling it from from a partner's perspective undred percent.
Speaker 2: You know, like I was talking to you a free show. You know, my mom and dad sit behind me on all these shows because they were the team, right. Dad was gone for six months. Mom was home doing a lot of what dad wanted to be doing. But when dad came home, Mom was still running the show. You see. Yeah, yeah, and you got to still like let mom and dad kind of like get back together.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's hard. You know a lot of people because being in the Special Voys is quite selfish. It's quite selfish because you you leave the family behind, expect them to carry on. You go do your stuff, and then you walk back through the door and expect to pick off where you left off. It doesn't work like that. You know, there's a you know, it's a lot of team where it's a lot of effitt and you know a lot of guys un fortunately when they do finish their end of the career realize actually them and their partners not they don't love each other, just can't live with each other. Yeah. Yeah, so there's yeah, no, it's hard, but yeah, you know, the wives are the unsung heroes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just want to give them a shout out. And that's exactly why I coiled her into my conversation with you, so you can smile just like that. Yeah, So thanks to her for kicking your ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and she she always challenges me, but she always you know, you know, it's quite funny. She goes, but if you can't do it, you can't do it. And it's like the red rag to the bull. Okay, so she pushed, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. What what do you mean? Yeah, exactly. I've been learning from a lot of Arnold Schwarzenegger lately. I've been watching his documentary. He's like, you know, I just wanted to be Hercules, And so I said, what do I have to do to be Hercules on this movie cover? And boo? He really did push himself, yeah, and manifest himself to be who he is and that same thing. Yeah, I'm like, I'm just kind of stealing some of that same mental toughness of like, you know, I want to be I'm forty five years old, almost forty six into boxing. Yeah, I'm boxing though, and I like it and I'm liking my shoulders and i like how I'm feeling and yeah, and I'm just you know, just focused on I just want to be a healthy person.
Speaker 3: Good. Yeah, no, no, brilliant. Yeah, yeah, I'm the same. I'm fory six and it's just staying fit and you know, being active a good inspiration for the advocate. Yeah, you know for me with the bike ride. With the bike ride, you know, when Harry and I chatted and we did a promo video together and then he introduced me to the Royal Foundation. They were like, you know, what is it you're trying to promote with his bike ride. So the money we raised went to eleven mental health charities, but not just veteran it was postnatal depression, young children, teenagers of the whole sector. And they said, you know what is it you're trying to promote and I said, well, I hadn't really thought about it, and I mean after I said, well, physical activity helps your mental state, and they originally they said you can't use that this is back in twenty sixteen, I said, well why not, I said, it's not being scientifically proven. I said, well, I don't need a scientist to tell me that I feel good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So ignored the many and carried on using it, and now it is recognized.
Speaker 2: Now, now it's totally recognized. You know, here in the US at the Veterans Administration, they're trying to use recreational therapy. But the patient has to ask for it. The veteran has to ask for it. It's not quite a brought up and they have to be like rated. You know, there's a certain up to one hundred percent rating for US military personnel. Okay, so if you're like a forty percent rated, you may not qualify. But I'm just saying that if you're listening to this right now and you're going to the VA and you're getting doctor's appointments for psychological they're trying to offer you benzos and pills, just ask them if there's recreational therapy available, which could be snowboying or mountain biking. It can be getting out surfing, you know, racketball if you ever played racquetball, like getting the ball, tennis, all those things are recreational therapy. Going for a hike, so you can try to get that through the va here. I just want to put that out there to my listener. Yeah, recreational therapy. Yeah yeah, that's that doctorate degree for about thirty more seconds before it expires. You know. If we're going to follow the internet, just yeah, go outside, go for a walk, you know, it feels good. We always always sit around watching folks like liked do the record breaker and be like, wow, what if I could do that? Well, what if? Why don't you go try? Yeah? You know, yeah, you don't chase it.
Speaker 3: I always say people, anticipation is worse some participation. People will tell you why they can't do it, or think about why they can't do but actually, when you do take that leap or decide to do it, you then look back and realize it actually wasn't that much.
Speaker 2: No, no. And a lot of folks will sit there and watch others like work out. They'll see these inspirational things on their scrolls and they'll sit there and say I need to, I need you, and then three years have gone by them, I need to.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, yeah, yeah true. And that's why I say with people speak to me about doing challenges and said, you know, have you got a date yet? Oh no, I've got a date. Put the dating and then when then it's real, tell people you're doing it, then it's real. Just keep moving to the right.
Speaker 2: No, it's serious, it is, It's totally serious. You just got to keep moving, stay focused, show up to yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah sure, yeah, yeah, because that's the hardest part. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, you know, and if you don't want to go somewhere and you feel people are going to stare at you or laugh at you, then you can just do it in the privacy of your own home. Just yeah, no burpies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you can do it. And that's a great thing one of the good things about COVID. There wasn't many, but that was one of the givings about COVID. People had to improvise. You know, you can go to gym, do it, do it at home, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I've got my COVID weights right here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I never laugh at anyone who's doing any sort of training. I see people all shapes and sizes. Well, at least they're doing it. I mean I'll never Yeah, at least that.
Speaker 2: You've been doing it since you're sixteen seventeen to be in your physical shape.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, well that's it. Yeah, and the ship the way I'm built, I've never used weights before. It's all body weight because when I was in the military, the you know, they test you and pull ups, dips, press up, how fast you can run you're climbing a rope. They don't test you on how how much can you press or curl and things like that, and so so for me, I would always train for what you were going to get tested on and did it that way and then managed to get quite big through that, but also finding the balance that you needed to be able to still perform or fulfill your role. You know, so whether you're climbing the side of a ship at night on a caving ladder, or whether you're climbing the rope on a helicopter to get out of the jungle.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I met some guys in Kosovo from one of the other nations and they were like Hollywood, you know, they looked like yeah, they looked the part actually with zero contribution to the team because they were too big. And so I was always conscious my training was geared around that body weight stuff.
Speaker 2: Being able to fulfill your role or do you mon if I ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm five to eleven.
Speaker 2: That hole when you join the military.
Speaker 3: No, actually no, my father actually told me the last two minutes when I told him I was going to join the military, he was I was five to seven and I weighed about sixty seven kilo. You know, I'm five eleven now in ninety one. So but yeah, I still hadn't really fully formed. You know. I joined at the age of seventeen and a half. Still four more inches, yeah, yeah, exactly. But within about eighteen months, I shot those four inches and I put on that on that weight. But I just grew physically, but more important, I grew mentally as well. The very first course I did, my base training, you know for the engineers, is like ten weeks. And then I got to the end of that and I was like okay. And then the next was the combat engineering, which is twelve weeks. And combat engineering there was a lot of bridge building, you know, a lot of heavy weights and stuff, so that that was naturally building me up. But then I was like okay. And then I did the Alarms Commander course and a minute so every time I then did a course, I was passing, and I was like, I wasn't just passing, I was either becoming a top student or up in the top five ten percent, And so that then started giving me confidence. Then see what what's next. I never had any aspirations of being Special Forces at all. It just went one step at a time, and literally I did every arduous course you did in the engineers and the only route, the only course left was tier one, specially.
Speaker 2: Because that's the next level to go to because you'd alread accomplished.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was already Special Forces, So it was like tier one or don't. But you know, there's some guys on my course who from a young age I'm talking six seven, all they ever wanted to be was s S or SBS and this was their moment and a lot of them crumbled under pressure. And the ways I went in with an attitude of I am good enough, but if I get in, I get in. If I don't, you know, it's not something that it's been a long life ambition, and I think that that helps you. Special Forces soldiers they tape things. They don't tate tape things two tiers.
Speaker 2: And a lot of folks don't realize that the green beret that you where it goes to the Green Berets over here. It wasn't that how it was given to you know, the s F Green Beret over here. How we have the Special Forces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that, I think, Yeah, I don't really know the history of it, but I do hear I've heard of a story of that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I mean it's the same with your Delta Force. You know, your an old Chuck Norris.
Speaker 6: Norris, he came over and spent two years with the SAS and then in nineteen seventy seven came back and set up Delt Force and did the selection process from US.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So there's a lot of origins that come.
Speaker 2: From the youth exactly.
Speaker 3: But the green Beret for us in the UK, it's the only coveted beret in the hold of the UK Special Forces. So if you're attached to the s E S you can get Sandy Berry. If you're attached to the Parachute Regiment, you'll get attached to the Free Commander Brigade. You only get the green Beret if you've done the Commander.
Speaker 2: So the green Beret does have that significance.
Speaker 3: It has that significance you can only it's the only coveted green beret. We have the intelligence cores who have a green beret, but it's more of like a snotty green than Yeah, and so what is in the SBS and the SBS is that coveted greens. So I, although I wasn't a raw Mariene, i'd done. The commander.
Speaker 2: Love that, you know, I love that. You know, I'm going to be just totally you know greenbery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why that's why we say, and that's why the Marines and the commandos are so proud of the buried back in the UK.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, me too, me too. I'm in your corner, Bro, I think you're fabulous and I'm brad we've had this opportunity to talk and just really, you know, the listener just wants to hear you talk like this, you know, and say, what's up?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 2: Now, what's your shirt? Say? It says Staccato.
Speaker 3: Staccato is American pistol brand. They do a lot of law enforcement based in Texas. Basically the Ferrari of.
Speaker 2: The I'm gonna get totally wrung out for saying their name wrong, probably being an American.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your listeners will know staccato. So yeah, I'm a I'm a brand ambassador for staccato Leopold.
Speaker 2: And okay, well yeah, let's get them put it into your you should say that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are you going to be going to Vegas in January.
Speaker 3: The Shot Show? Yeah, I've been the last two years as a guest. I did my I did my book signing at the Shot Show last year.
Speaker 2: With you there on Range Day. I'll be there on range Day. We'll have to at least and get a proper photo.
Speaker 3: Definitely, I'll be I'll be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'll be there with Soft Rapp. Yeah, exactly, here we go. No, that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: I'd love to and.
Speaker 2: Say and say I have a spot of tea if you still do that, right of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't mind the tea now.
Speaker 2: And yeah I got to. I got to.
Speaker 3: Yeah you guys, you guys threw all the tea in the bay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But when I go over there, for some reason, everything still when I go over to England, I feel like I'm at home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, really really really.
Speaker 2: Because I mean I have that in my DNA. I have a lot of British in me that I didn't realize till I did this DNA stuff and then uh yeah scant and now Norwegian, so Norway, so I'm very wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah. Well we you know, we we live in California now and so we you know, we went back to UK. It was nice to go back. You know. We do love the American American dream. And we we actually moved over right in the middle of COVID October twenty me and my wife like that, right, yeah, well, the world was paused. We just came in.
Speaker 2: And because it's crazy right now with the housing markets and everything all, you know, you're over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's everything's unstable, but you know, you sort of he sees opportunity, you know, you know, yes, the world was a crisis going on, but we just saw that importunity and took a back.
Speaker 2: I just I stayed alive. My shops stayed open. We didn't, you know, I was waiting for someone to say you should close. I'm like, when do I get to go home for thirty days? When do I get off? No, They're like, no, your your store is stay open because they're gun store, air software, war game stores. So it's like essential. Wow, only in America.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, in America.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, listen, do you want to plug your book for me? You have a book, right, yeah, I have.
Speaker 3: I have a book called Relentless. We I had it. It was launched in the UK originally, and when I came over to America, I went on I went on Jocko Willings podcast. People magazine were doing interviews with me, and it's like, you know, the starts of arrived sort of thing. And my publishers were like, I'd sort of told him about these these marketing opportunities and they weren't really interesting because it had been eighteen months since the book had come out. So my wife be the entrepreneur and the philanthropists. You know, the book hadn't been launched in the US, so we bought the rights from our publisher for USA and Canada, and then we redesigned the book cover. You know, five to eleven did the book cover for US. But then we got influences that the American audience would recognize. So Jocko Admiral mccraven bear grills because the ones that we had in UK people weren't aware of. So we sort of gave it a liquor paint, as we would say, a new cover because the cover you have there with me holding the minime with all the I mean surround my neck. You know, you won't get away with that in the UK.
Speaker 2: You have to have a little bit of approach.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a bit more different. And I mean also people weren't buying the book. People weren't buying the book in the UK from the side. Community look like a Special Forces book. So we you know, so we had we watermarked the bike on the on the front cover of this one as well. Because there's a huge community there of cycles, it makes.
Speaker 2: Sense you can almost have like a reflecting cover where it's like one of them is you as a cycle, and when the sun hits it, it's like you with your gear and you're just like you can like depose it in the middle and get half of you on a bike with you.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the but Relentless is almost like three. There's three main phases as my childhood in the military. I do stop on selection, you know, I don't go into the Special Forces stuff just purely because trying to protect my brethren there. And then the private security stuff. You know, actually it was more I did more sensitive jobs as a private security guy than I did in the Special Forces. You know, we touched on someone on here, you know, single handedly evacuating embassies. But you know there's other stories in there which are great. And then the final third is the bike ride. Everything I'd learned from the first to into the bight.
Speaker 2: Rides, Well, Dean, I think that you're awesome and I think you're you're fabulous and all of those wonderful words that I could say. I'm happy that you guys wanted to come on the show and and talk about life and you know, in your book and just pushing forward and persevering. Uh. You know, we all have lived through COVID and we've all seen the world shut down, and it's time to just restart our engines and get going. Dad.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, exactly. And I look forward to seeing you all right.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a plan. And so I'm gonna let you go back to your busy day today. And I appreciate you for this last hour. And I just want to give a shout out again to Brandon Webb for having me as the ambassador for soft Rep and letting me do these podcasts. I really appreciated the opportunity to talk to guys like Dean and I really appreciate the sps and the sas and all the UK brotherre and over there that have that are our allies and all allies around the world. We thank you so from me and I'll be haalf of Dean. I'm saying peace and SOFTWAREP radio.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to self red Radio