Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: The drop in stocks comes on more disappointing economic news out of China, and industry survey shows China's services sector side its slowest growth this year in August. Meanwhile, China's Country Garden Holdings has averted default on its dollar debt by paying coupons on two bonds within their grace periods. We get more on the troubled developer from Bloomberg's China Credit editor Kevin Kingsbury in Hong Kong.
Speaker 4: Certainly it takes a worry off the table right now that they've made these twenty two point five million dollars worth of payments. Comes on top of extending a yuan bond by three years over the weekend and making a separate payment of about six hundred thousand dollars on a offshore bond as well. So it kind of shows that we're even talking about a payment of six hundred thousand dollars. It would sound like peanuts, but it just shows just how much worry there has been about Country Garden, that each and every payment has gotten some increased scrutiny as to whether or not this copany He's going to be able to survive and be able to get through this rough patch here without any defaults.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Kevin Kingsbury says the payments by country guard in time as it tries to sort through one hundred and eighty seven billion dollars of liabilities.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, Nathan Bloomberg Economics says China may never eclipse the US as the world's biggest economy. Therefore, cash shows China's GDP may briefly surpass that of America in twenty forty, but even then it will happen by only a small margin before falling back behind. Before the pandemic, the expectation was that China would be the leading economy by the start of the next decade.
Speaker 3: In Stink with the Economy, Karen, one major Wall Street firm thinks the US may avoid contraction. Let's get that story from Bloomberg's John Tucker.
Speaker 5: Good Morning John, and Nathan Goldman. Sachs has grow more confident the US ken Skirterer recession. They've lowered the odds to fifteen percent from twenty percent. So why the change? The firm's chief economist Yan Hansi says, among other things, solid job growth will boost wages. At the same time, he says cooling inflation may keep the Federal Reserve from raising industrates any further. Hatzi says a September rate hike by the Fed is off the table, and the hurdle for a November hike is significant. Goldvin's fifteen percent recession asked of it well below a Bloomberg consensus of sixty percent. The firm is also more optimistic than peers and US economic growth, predicting an average two percent pace through the end of next year.
Speaker 2: In New York.
Speaker 5: I'm John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, John, Thanks well. Another call out of Goldman this morning, this one on the equity side. Strategists led by Peter Oppenheimer say AI is not a bubble, saying the rally can continue. Goldman names eleven US stocks as near term beneficiaries of the AI revolution, including Nvidia, Microsoft, and Meta.
Speaker 3: Well, Karen A big paydays in store for bankers working in one of the year's most highly anticipated IPOs, sources tell Bloomberg Investment banks working on arm holdings initial public offering are set to share upwards of one hundred million dollars in fees from the chip designers listing. The soft bank owned ARM is poised to pay the banks two percent the five billion dollars that's seeking to raise in the IPO.
Speaker 2: Well, Nathan, we may have a takeover in the works. Bloomberg News has learned private equity firm Toma Bravo as in advanced talks to my health records software company next Gen Healthcare. Next Gen, which rose six percent on Friday, up another ten percent in early trading.
Speaker 3: Two stocks being added to the S and P five hundred are also on the move, Karen. Both Blackstone and Airbnb are up more than five percent. The two will replace Lincoln National and newer brands prior to the start of trading on September eighteenth.
Speaker 2: Well, let's turn to Washington now, Nathan, and some news on Jill Biden's health. The White House says the First Lady tested positive for COVID nineteen yesterday. The President was tested last night and came back negative. President Biden is set to attend the G twenty summit in India this weekend. The White House is not saying whether the First Lady's diagnosis will affect his travel plans well.
Speaker 3: Meantime, Karen Elon Musk is blaming the US Anti Defamation League for the slump in advertising revenue at his social platform x. We get that story from Bloomberg's at Backster.
Speaker 6: Ads sales are still down sixty percent, Musk posting, primarily due to pressure on advertisers mounted by ADL. He in a series of posts says it has been quote trying to kill the platform since he bought it, falsely accusing it and him of being antisemitic. Musk says it is a pro free speech platform, but against antisemitism of any kind. He says he is as well. He says legal action is an option in San Francisco. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All righted, thanks, So we now turn to labor unrest overseas. Chevron's liquefied natural gas workers in Australia are threatening two weeks of twenty four hour rolling outages at two major export plans. It's an escalation of a dispute that is threatening global fuel supply. Be caught up with Colin Parfitt, Chevron's vice president of Midstream, at the Gas Tech conference in Singapore.
Speaker 7: With committee find a solution there, and we want to find solution that's a win win winn. We want to find it.
Speaker 4: It's a win for chev On, a wind farm employees and a win for the gas markets.
Speaker 2: And Chevron's Colin Purfect says the company has not canceled or delayed any LNG shipments as a result of the strength threat. All right, Nathan, thanks in time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris Samy, Good morning.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Karen. Congress returns to Capitol Hill today after its summer recess, facing a possible government shutdown in just a few geeks. Paul Helke is a professor of practice at the O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs. He's also the founding director of the Civic Leaders Learning Center at Indiana University.
Speaker 9: In order to avoid a government shutdown, we need to have our elected representatives start thinking about the common good and majority rule and the importance of the budget rather than fighting out there their fringe partisan agendas.
Speaker 8: Professor Helmke says current partisan rancor in Washington makes it highly likely that there will be no continuing resolution, much less a full budget. A heat wave is expected to bring one hundred degree temperatures to tens of millions of Americans this week. It is likely to be between the lower and high nineties today in places like Philadelphia, Washington, d C, New York City, and Chicago. DC and Baltimore are under hot weather emergency declarations through Thursday, and a heat advisory is in place in New York City through Wednesday night. It's been about seventeen months since Republican governors from Texas and Arizona started sending thousands of migrants to d C, Los Angeles and New York City, along with other cities and protest of President Biden's border policies. The Washington Polish reports there are more questions now about short term shelter as those buses keep coming. SAMU First Response says DC has received about sixty bus loads of a islum seekers since May, raising the total number of buses sent to the district in the past year to two hundred and thirty nine. In New York, State Attorney General Letitia James is calling for coordination between federal, state, and city officials. New York Governor Kathy Hochel and New York City Mayor Eric Adams have been exchanging letters in recent weeks, but Letitia James says that doesn't help.
Speaker 10: The letters, the accusations, the recriminations don't serve anyone. And what we really need is someone to coordinate, and so I would urge everyone to get together in a room or on a zoom call to appoint a a migrant and czar.
Speaker 8: More than one hundred thousand migrants have arrived in New York City over the past year, with more than half of them overwhelming the city's shelter system. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries. I'm Amy Morris. This is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thank you. It's time now for the Bloomberg Sports some day. For that, we bring in John stash Hour, John Karen.
Speaker 11: Was a busy week one of college football, the entire preseason top twenty five playing over a five day span, mostly no upsets. There was a big one Saturday when Colorado won at TCU. There was also an upset last night.
Speaker 4: Leonard from the Shotgun takes a step, quick look to the leftoks to Ron straight ahead, trying to break a tackle.
Speaker 6: He does.
Speaker 4: He's got a first out.
Speaker 7: In More thirty twenty leader touchdown. Goodness, how the Blue Devils have.
Speaker 11: The lead their field sports the Call. Duke upset ninth Frank Clemson twenty eight to seven. It's the Blue Devils first win over a team ranked in top ten since nineteen eighty nine. US Open saw top seed Carlos Alcarez advanced to the quarterfinals of straight set victory. Alex Zaverev won his match over Yannick Sinner at one forty am New York Times. The match went four hours, forty one minutes. Two upset so the women's side third seed is Jess Pagoula, trounced by a fellow American, Madison t sixty one sixty three and as Javor lost to Jiang Qinaan two and four baseball saw Baltimore beat the Angels six to three. The Red Sox won seven to three at Tampa Bay. They had lost their last thirteen games at Tampa. The Giants were shout out by the Cubs five and up. In his cup, pitcher Justin Streitch Steel improved as sixteen and three eight innings loud only two hit struck apps twelve the A's loss at Toronto six to five in tenanings. Also, Minnesota won a Cleveland twenty to six. Just Dashawer Bloomberg sports.
Speaker 12: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Syrias XAM, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 3: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager, and we are heading into a holiday shortened trading week with losses for stocks pretty much across the board around the world. Yet more weak economic data out of China, this time in the services sector, is putting a damper on sentiment after a week that saw the S and P five hundred rise to and a half percent on encouraging economic data for the US. So let's get this trading week started. We're joined by laur Calvacina, head of US Equity strategy at RBC Capital Markets. Laurie, it's great to speak with you. As always. What does ongoing weakness in China mean for investments here in the US?
Speaker 7: Hit Well, thanks for having me as always, and look, I think there are two issues. Whenever we see you know, sort of weakness in China is one, what does that mean for US equity markets from a flow perspective. China was one of the hot trades to start the year. There was a lot of negative views on the US and we've really seen that reverse, you know, in recent months. Unfortunately, we're not getting those inplos and the US equity funds, especially on the large cash side right now, so we'll need to watch that. But secondly, what are the skill of our effects into the US economy? And right now the vote seems to be that they'll be minimal. On the US economic outlook seems to be improving if you look at some of the calls that are being made around the street today, while the view on China and even Europe frankly seems to be softening. So I think those are really the two you know, kind of cross currents that are somewhat conflicting that we have to keep an eye on.
Speaker 3: No, I would be curious to get your call your team at RBC are thinking with particularly now that we've gotten this call from Goldman Sachs that the chance for a recession in the US is now down to what fifteen percent? Are you that bullish?
Speaker 7: Well, you know, it's interesting we watch you know, we watched the Goldman call. They're certainly quite prolific and vocal, and I think they've had a you know, sort of a good sense of where things are headed in terms of broader sentiments. But we've also been watching very closely that consensus data point tracked by Bloomberg, which has been sort of stubbornly stuck at the sixty percent level and not moving even though the news flow around the economic discussion has been improving. So I'm not quite sure what's going on with that ladder data set. But I do think this call today is interesting. You know, I have the luxury of being the US equity strategist, not in as so I make calls on the market as opposed to that GDP forecast directly. But what I do tell clients is it feels to me. And you know, this is something we were saying early last year that this really smells more like twenty fifteen twenty sixteen, where the economic damage may not quite end up being a recession, maybe something you know, sort of a cousin to a recession. But regardless, you know, my job is to call the equity markets, and I think we've priced in a recession last October. Whether or not we get one still remains to be seen, but I think we've paid the price for one that we may not even end up getting.
Speaker 3: So where do you see the momentum for stocks at this point? With the with the way that the economic backdrop looks right now.
Speaker 7: So I think that stocks are at an interesting point. You know, we've noted, similar to some of my other competitors on the street, that sentiment has gotten a little bit stretched over the summer. That's something we haven't liked. The appeal of stocks relative to bonds has been worsening, and that has actually been showing up in the flows, which is a little bit of a concern to me. Actually heading into sort of a seasonally tough period of the year. The last five or six years, August through October has not been a friend to the US equity market. That being said, the economic narrative does seem to be improving a little bit at the margin. I think that the conference season that we're heading into now post Labor Day has historically proven very, very valuable to investors because we can get answers to some extent to questions on whether or not those spillover effects from China will end up influencing the US. We know from the last reporting season and really the one before it that whatever this is, economically, it is starting. We are starting to see pockets of weakness in certain parts of the consumer, certain parts of the corporate psyche. How bad that is really getting, I think is going to be a key topic in this conference season the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: And one aspect of the market that you watch pretty closely is the impact of politics. We do have the prospect of a government shutdown at the end of this month. Is that something that you're concerned about. Is that something that you're warning your clients about.
Speaker 7: You know, we've been talking a little bit more about the election than the government shutdown, and frankly, we've been getting more questions on the election next year than the government shutdown. But I do think, you know, we are starting to hear more rumblanks about this potential shutdown just over the last week or so, and in a context in which you know, you sort of enter into again this seasonally kind of tough period for markets. It's definitely something to keep an eye on. I do think that equity investors tend to think when these issues come up that it will go down to the wire, it will get resolved at the end. So you really, you know, probably won't see it take too much of a hit until you really get close, you know, to that particular you know, date of stress. But it is, you know, it is. It is definitely a concern.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am whilst Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven.
Speaker 1: Thirty plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app. Serious XM Channel one nineteen. The iHeartRadio app and on Bloomberg dot Com. I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 2: I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak