Speaker 1: All right, guys, what is up?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast pres anybody the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always, and have a very special episode planned for you today. It is week one. We have real football to talk about in a preview and this is gonna be a really nerdy, coach heavy episode. So we thought who better to come back on the show than mister Sean Said, who joined us to talk about Kellen Moore earlier in the off season. Sean, thanks so much for taking the time again, man, How you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing awesome.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it so much once again, and wow, we don't have to look at training camp clips. We don't have to, you know, see who's in the best shape of our life. We don't have to break down any more preseason film. We have made it and it feels it feels absolutely incredible.
Speaker 5: It does feel absolutely incredible.
Speaker 2: I cannot wait for I mean, we're two days away from an NFL game being played, and a few short days after that for the Chargers and the Dolphins game being played as well. Joining us as always is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's up man? How you doing? Great man.
Speaker 6: Our first episode on this Chargers channel was before the draft, and everything's.
Speaker 5: Really awesome in the draft and yay.
Speaker 6: Then it was just summer and we had eighteen episodes of just like stuff in the middle of summer. And again you're like, everyone's in the best shape of their lives. It's amazing how good in shape. All these guys are the best shape of their lives. But now we'll see what kind of shape they're in. Football is here. I'll be there on Sunday.
Speaker 5: I'm stoked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I cannot wait for this game. It's a game where I think if you study film and you are into schematics and you are into data, this is kind of your super Bowl and it's in. It's happening in week one and I cannot wait to dive into it with Tyler and Sean before we get started. As always, Tyler and I are fans of the team first and foremost, just like you guys are are very fortunate to have this platform, but the opinions that we express on this show and every week on this show are not always reflective of.
Speaker 1: The Charters organization.
Speaker 2: Like I said, very grateful to be here and happy to kick off week one with Sean before we really dive in here with Sean, I think it's important to really kind of set the stage of why this coaching battle is so important heading into week one and the kind of tone that it can set for the rest of the season. You know, if you look at the kind of metas that are around the NFL these days, it's a lot of vic Vangio disciples, and it's a lot of Kyle Shanahan disciples, and these two coaches, Brandon Staey and Mike McDaniel, have really kind of taken their own twists off of their background. So Sean, I want to start with you, how have you seen Brandon skate Brandon stay take the vic Vangio defense and maybe molded into his own vision over the past few seasons as the Rams defense of coordinator and of course the Chargers head coach.
Speaker 4: I think I just think Brandon Staley is an exceptional, exceptional defensive game planner.
Speaker 3: I really really do.
Speaker 4: I like his philosophies of defense, particularly the way that he approaches pass coverage, and I think some of his blitz designs are really really good. I like the way that he's gotten the Chargers DBS to match routes. I think they have a really deep thir downbag, and they forced quarterbacks to play after the snap. In today's NFL, you can't. You cannot just sit back in one coverage alignment all day. Quarterbacks have gotten way too good at processing board before the snap, and offensive coordinators they just understand how to break the rules of coverage better than ever. And Staley's pass defense, right, they end up in the top ten last year. I think that's for a reason, and I think that's certainly had at least designed to thank in part. But I do know that a lot of Chargers fans, you know, there is criticism for Brandon Staley's defense, particularly in the run game. I think that's it's a difficult problem for all defenses, right. I think defense as a whole is an allocation problem.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You could line up eleven players in the box and say, you know what, we're going to stop every single run.
Speaker 3: But then the team's just going to pass the ball.
Speaker 4: And Staley's made it clear on the field that his emas is designed to stop that explosive pass. But the problem comes up when instead of those plays, you're seeing explosive runs. And I don't think that's something that Staley shies away from. You know, he said it in press conferences that they need to do a better job. And the question is going to be this year obviously, you know, how are the Chargers going to be able to do that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, everyone's like, well, you know, stop stopping these or stop letting the explosive runs happen. Of course, like Brendessili does not want those to happen. He invites to run more so than the pass, of course, but he doesn't want them to run. He wants them to run for zero yards or negative yards if possible. This Dolphins game, and you and tedj talked about this on I believe it's stats and what is it stats in film? What's it called stats in scheme?
Speaker 1: There?
Speaker 6: Does that that that particular episode pretty.
Speaker 3: Much that's in film? Yeah, pretty close.
Speaker 6: Excellent And you call this like the highest watchability game of Week one.
Speaker 5: There's so much going on here.
Speaker 6: You watched last year's game and this was like the game that a lot of guys, different guys point to. Ted Winn had an article come out before the playoff game against the Jaguars, like Brandon Staley is an elite schemer, he's an elite defensive play caller. It's a fantastic scheme and he's elite. He's he's a genius nuts sort of thing. How do you get the Chargers? And I guess this is the million dollar question. How does Brandon Staley get the Chargers in this defense to consistently do this? There are some defenses or teams across years, across years, or even it's the entire season where you just know, oh man, we're going to struggle against this team because their defense is just historically or has been for several years.
Speaker 5: A really really good defense.
Speaker 6: Brandon Staley in this defense has shown again in this Dolphins game the previous Dolphins game that they're so good at doing so many things and can execute at such a high level. How do you get them to do that across an entire season? What is the next step Brandon Staley might have.
Speaker 5: To take this year?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, on a year to year basis, defense it's so much more fragile than offense, right, I think if you track it out, you know, I don't pretend to the stats guy first, but if you look at it from year to year, your offense is more likely to have kind of a similar high end result if they did the previous year, and the kind of opposite. And on the defense event, right, coverage is a fragile thing where you know it's really just inches or the typical ball that can lead to an interception, which is such a huge swing. And I really think defenses they are helped by being you know, you're in the same system year after year.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I think there were early hiccups with the Chargers in that first year and the defense system, it's not the easiest to learn, right. Part of it is that we need to get you know, Staley's personnel in there. That is a really big thing where it's a safety that you have to learn how to watch, how routes express it in a bit of a different way. And seems like every year, right, Chargers get a little bit of bad luck with injuries, but you know, coming in this year, let's keep all those edge guys healthy. I think that is such a big difference in the run game, whether it's something you have your kind of random TfL that you weren't expecting because mosta just beats it gam I think that's something that's so possible against the Dolphins and it's hopefully possible a week tweak. I think figuring out that nickel spot right, whether it's weeked on a week to week basis, you know, we want someone who's more active in the run fit, someone who can really attack that the ball in the backfield and make those sorts of plays, or maybe it's you know, certain downs we're going to get more of a pass coverage player. I spent a lot of time just watching the explosive runs that the Chargers let up last season to see.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, how do you troubleshoot this?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I think that a lot of times people at the start where at least in good positions, right, because one thing would be awful. That's the starting point. Are we just like lined up totally awful?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: I think later in the season there was just better intier defensive line play, and I think run defense, unfortunately, it's a really cascading effect where if your interior guys are getting beat a little bit, it makes the linebacker's life harder because then the offensive lineman can climb the linebackers. Now a linebacker has to fight off a person, and there were a lot of runs where it just ended up with an incredibly athletic running back in space with full steam at a defensive back. But towards the back half of the season, I do think, you know, especially and Joseph Day, I think he played a lot better that interior defensive line they had Steely as creative and that, like you said, Stealely doesn't want to let up these runs, right, He's not asking and telling the offense, Hey.
Speaker 3: You guys, just run all over as much as you can.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So against the forty nine ers, against the Titans, they had different fronts where they have two defensive linemen really clogging the kind of the a gaps both sides of the center, and that makes the center's life harder. It they have the ability just to blitz into different fronts. So even if you don't have a certain type of personnel, Britton Staley has shown just a cool ability to say, look, we don't have you know, Vince wolferk in at the nose, but we can you know, send a linebacker there and mess with the offensive line in different ways. So, you know, consistency is going to be the question. And it may just be that I like to see the good new people, but I think Stalely has so much good to him, and I hope that they can build off that back half of last year going into this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioning the defensive tack room. I think that's a super important point that we have tried to emphasize on our show across a few episodes, whether it was you know, the draft conversations where certain draft analysts wanted the Chargers to draft Siaka Ika in the first round or like Mazzie Smith and their first and it's like, no, no, no, Like, defensive tackle is not the problem you guys, Like the defensive line was was solid last year. Of course I would love to have a young guy like a Quinn Williams or Chris Jones or whatever, but the Chargers have solid pieces up front and where they got into trouble last year was that edge rusher spot opposite of Khalil Mack.
Speaker 1: And then you mentioned the secondary pieces as well.
Speaker 2: So you know, we'll we'll tackle this from a personnel standpoint on our own channel later this week. But Sean, in your opinion, like, how do how does Brandon Staley maybe overcompensate for some you know, subpar personnel that you've seen in the last couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well the Dolphins game was I think one of the best examples where he I think he really really got his players bought in on a game plan, right. So the Dolphins example, I just keep I keep that one in mind. I feel like over so many whether it's a flaw or whether it's a bad result for the Chargers in any sort of way. And I think that he can simplify things when he needs to, where his system of figuring out Okay, well the second receiver is releasing a certain way after this many steps, Now I need to pass my guy off of somewhere else. Against Miami, he made that a lot simpler, right by playing heavy man coverage in different ways. So I do think that really has a good ability to figure out all right.
Speaker 3: Well these are the pieces I have left.
Speaker 4: And you know, defense, it's not always about what you want to do a lot of times it's about what you have to do. So I'm hoping the injury bug doesn't hit you guys the same way that it always has because obviously you have Derwin James. Hopefully he's healthier for a full season. And you know, we talk a lot about positional versatility on the defensive ends. Sometimes it helps when that person is really good at one thing. But Derwin James is good at a lot of things, and hopefully he can help erase some things up front. And I'm happy to see Eric Hendricks and I watched him a lot with the Vikings last year. I think he still has juice left in him. So the ability to bring in guys, you know, continue the system again another year, just get that by in again and again and again. And it seems like, you know, people emerge for the charges, right, you got new cornerbacks coming in year after year that you just hopefully see more success from them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Really curious, and we'll dive into in various scene. Really curious if Brandon Steely has for this offense against the Dolphins. I think he cranked up his stunt rate by about five percent compared to the rest of the games throughout that season. So we'll see what he's got. Does he have to do that this game? I don't know, because now he's got all his guys back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, like Tyler said, let's let's dive into this matchup into the nitty gritty of these coaching schematics. Obviously, I feel like most people were kind of surprised that the Dolphins hired Mike McDaniel. You know what, he hadn't been with you know, an elevated you know title.
Speaker 1: In San Francisco for very long.
Speaker 2: Of course, he had followed Kyle Shanahan for quite some time and was kind of known around the NFL as this run game guru that was working with Kyle Shanahan. And then he gets to Miami and they're not really running the football a whole lot. Sean, what did you kind of see from his first step as a play caller as a head coach down there in Miami last week?
Speaker 4: The Dolphins were just one of the most exciting offenses to watch last year, especially when they're full of healthy under Mike McDaniel. And as you said, you know, he comes from that Shanahan tree. He did a great job of taking the roots of that offense, which you know, a lot of it is a credit in the run game. And like you said, you know, I think he had a really high pass rate over expectation because he just super charged the whole entire thing with Tyreek Hill and Jayleen Wattle while forming it around his quarterback strength. So same way, I think that Staley has a good job defensive game planning. I think mcdaniell understands these are the pieces that I have, and this is how I make the most of him. And he did that by making it attract me for teams, right, they used that kind of fast motion at the snap to get into stacks at full speed. It scared defensive backs off, it opened up space underneath, and they were even able to get to some of the more classic Shanahan play action concept from shotgun instead of under center, which has been really really hard for teams. When Tua played in rhythm, he played really really well. Teams backed off Hill and Waddle as they probably should, right, I wouldn't want Tyreek Hill running full speed at me. I think that the Dolphins were happy to take advantage of that underneath space. But the problem that defense is that presented to a lot of offenses where you stay in those two high shells and you wait as long as possible to get out of that and show your rotation. The Dolphins solved that with speed and aggression their creative motion. It forced teams to back out of the press or, it made them show their rotation a lot earlier, and it put the Dolphins into a place where they could play pre snap where two a good point and shoot a lot of times where he'd go to his first read and didn't have to worry as much about processing after the snat.
Speaker 6: I feel bad for Tua because there's this he comes into the league and he's not Herbert and he's not Burrough, so automatically that's very tough for him in the comparisons. And then there's a situation where that maybe the team doesn't want him, so he has a couple of rough seasons. Then finally he has a really good season. Mike McDowall comes in and he puts up great numbers, the numbers that you'd want from your franchise quarterback when he was healthy, and all think is labeled is now is like, well, it was the system. It was the scheme that did it for him. So it's more like you can't win either way.
Speaker 5: What did you see?
Speaker 6: I don't know how much Dolphins you've watched the last few years, but like, what have you seen has to himself legitimately improved how he plays from let's say the previous year to last year or is it really just the scheme did everything for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that question is so tough because it's so hard to pull apart, right, how can we pull apart the scheme? How can we pull apart the quarterback? And just thinking well, how many quarterbacks would succeed in the system. It maybe that a lot would. But also you know the way that Tua takes a snap and gun and snaps his head one way and is able to get the ball out with such anticipation so quickly. There are a lot of strength that Tua has. Now, of course, you know I would agree and that you said that, yeah, Tua is not justin Herbert, because a lot of quarterbacks aren't justin Herbert. He is incredibly unique and you guys are incredibly lucky to be rooting for him every single week. So I do think that Mike McDaniel understood. Okay, you know, maybe Tua does have some limitations, but Tua still was more than happy to drive the ball down the field.
Speaker 3: He just did it in rhythm.
Speaker 4: He did a little bit quicker than I think some other people would do.
Speaker 3: So I like Tua. I think this is really the.
Speaker 4: Year where we can maybe decide defenses have seen a little bit more from them. The Chargers put out sort of a blueprint, but just a fantastically played game, and you know, Ken twas start to hit some of those outbreakers or can you start to play to his second and third read in different ways where I'm optimistic for TUA because particularly because I think so highly of Mike McDaniel, But I'm sure Chargers fans are gonna want to see something different on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, just hearkening back to that matchup last season and also to the forty nine Ers game that they had where the forty nine Ers really crushed them. Obviously a little different. You have Fred Warner, you have Nick Bosa. The Chargers didn't have those guys healthy. Again the Chargers, Bosa was already out injured. You know, the defensive line was pretty banged up at that point. So you look at how the forty nine Ers went about that game, and everybody leading up to the theme was like, well the Chargers don't have Fred Warner, Like how are they going to do this? So revisiting that game, you know what, what did you really see from how the Chargers approached blitzing that that passing attack and kind of staying away from the track meet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that the game plan versus the Dolphins was just so fantastic, and I'm glad that you bought off the forty nine Ers game because it was so different than that game where you make a great point Fred Warner is he's just one of one, right, Not every team has that kind of player. The forty nine Ers were able to erase that intermediate middle of the field with linebacker death, and that's something that's hard to do because has said not everyone has Fred Warner. But Staley wanted to avoid that track meat. Instead of backing off soft zones, he pressed the Dolphins, which it's easy to say now, oh yeah, like they pressed him, But that was really revolutionary at the time because I don't think anyone really thought of that. I don't think it made sense on a chalkboard to say we are going to press this incredibly fast receiver where there can be results like that one long touchdown that there was just on that vertical ball, but you know, not surprised to pay sometimes. I think the Chargers did a great job of getting the Dolphins into third and long and they just had a deep, deep, third and long package. Whether it's different coverages while you have different guys dropping out. You know, they did a great shot with those safeties robbing down, taking away that intermediate middle of the field. But the disruption aspect of it was so so cool to see, whether it's pressing on the backside of a route so to a can't just snap his head around in play action and get that throw. But then also as much as I love to talk about scheme and x's and o's, you know, those players played out of their minds. Some of the DV players were awesome. I think how many times snap after snap you're covering wattle and hill at full speed is so difficult getting your hands on balls that I think other teams weren't able to do. So a beautiful combination of game plan execution, let's disrupt this and it is absolutely something that I'm sure Mike McDaniel and tour you know, they're watching over and over and seeing how did they do this to us?
Speaker 3: What do we do to get better against?
Speaker 6: Yeah, just going back to it the game and just the numbers. I was looking at the third downs that they faced and I was surprised that, you know, nine out of eleven of the third downs they faced were third and long and that's really a credit to what they were able to do, yes against the past, but also against the run. Now that they stop for the run, I think they still ran for four yards to carry, but they were able to limit what the Dolphins could do on early downs to get into those third and long situations. The Dolphins didn't face a third and shorts like a minute and a half left in the fourth quarter. So it'll be interesting to see what the Chargers can do this game, because, like you said, scheme drawed up whatever you want.
Speaker 5: The players just flat out executed. I mean they were undermanned. It should have been worse.
Speaker 6: I think Steven and I both predicted a loss that game because of the injuries. But these guys play played out of their minds. So I really hope those guys can do that again this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think my biggest curiosity for you know, outside of the scheme, is how does a Sante Samuel Junior in the slot kind of factor in how this game unfolds, because if you go back and watch that game, it was a lot of Michael Davis on Tyreek Hill and it was a lot of kind of you know, shadowing the middle of Drew Trank one, Well, just hear Taylor on Jayson Wattle and Asante just kind of roamed a little bit and was able to make plays in the coverage area. Now, theoretically like he's going to be the one matching up with Jalen Wattle and maybe a J. C. Jackson. We'll see what his status unfolds like this week. But Sean, what would you kind of estimate You know, we'll talk about adjustments here in a second, but like the idea of a Santee in the slot, how do you think that manifest manifests itself this week?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's going to depend on what Miami comes out with, right. I think that if you have someone who's more of a past defender, where I think Asana Samuel is very good in coverage. If the Dolphins say, hey, we bought in Braxton Barrios, maybe we want to get into more eleven personnel where it's just one running back and one tight end and three receivers instead of how they usually had it with two running backs, a tight end and then just those two receivers. So it's going to depend a little bit on does Miami see their solution as hey, we need to get the ball out quick or we need to get these checkdowns and kind of run those over and over. Do we need to get into our kind of our RPO game in different ways where we have a run going one way and maybe a bubble going the other way. So I think it's something that Stale. He's gonna have to be pretty fluid with it, whether it's Samuel is doing a great job in the run game, he's not doing a great job in the run game. Because I do think the first answer that the Dolphins should toward move towards is finding different ways to run the ball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that is the one I really want to get into in just a sec. Because you mentioned right after the Chargers game and from that Bill's game on the Dolphins just figured out how to run the football, and I was curious, Okay, did they actually improve, you know, is there any kind of adjustment there?
Speaker 5: And I don't know what happened.
Speaker 6: I'll let you speak on that, but the Dolphins went from like twenty second and epa pri play rushing the football to fifth just in after the Chargers game, like they figured something out. And I'm really curious how they test the Chargers this game, because you know, we talked about Michael Davis and Tiger Kill and Jill and Waddle and all that, but the Dolphins theoretically could just go out and test the Chargers run game. Okay, Sante Samuel Junior is now your starter in the slot. Yeah, I think that that's a smart way to do it. And it felt really interesting.
Speaker 4: You know, you turn the bills film on that literal next game first clip outside Zone Lee, Right, So it's not to me. Maybe it's more that McDaniel said, Hey, I have these absolute studs in Hill and Waddle. We can run them downfield all day and I imagine know if you have those shiny toys, sometimes it's annoying to put them down and you know, play with something else. So to get back into that run game where that is I think something that McDaniel is so so good at. So he just has an embarrassment of riches between this really incredibly incredibly designed, an incredibly executed passing game and a run game that I do think that we'll talk about gap scheme in a little bit and the different ways I think they will use it this year. But it wasn't that they Yeah, they didn't change things overnight. I would say against the Bills, for example, but it's more of a commitment to things that were already in their system that McDaniel.
Speaker 3: Is so used to.
Speaker 4: It's just I think offensive play callers probably are by nature a little bit impatient, right, I would want to throw a touchdown first down every single time. I think McDaniel's sometimes had that approach, and where we always know that passing is going to be more efficient than running, sometimes taking that easy run is the right decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you mentioned the efficiency. It's it's gonna be really curious. Seth Waller talked about this on Menachims podcast that early down passing efficiency was like the lowest it's been in like eight to ten years. I can't remember the exact stat there, but passing efficiency is starting to come down on early downs. It's still more efficient than running the football according to EPA for play, But you know, both of these offenses have talked so much about running the football and being able to marry the run game in the pass game. It's been the theme of the offseason for both of these teams. From like a schematic standpoint, to me, like the key to the Dolphins rushing attack is probably Alec Ingold like, I think what he's able to do for them is pretty similar to what the forty nine ers have in uscheck. I don't think Ingold is nearly the receiver that you check is.
Speaker 1: But when the.
Speaker 2: Chart, when the Dolphins get into that twenty one personnel alec Ingle gives them a ton of options. I'm curious to see how that you know expresses itself this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think having a fullback that ken block is a rarity in the NFL now, and it opens up your run game in so many different ways. I think a lot of the outside run outside zone runs are able to be successful because if the defense adds a player to the box, the offense can put that fullback there and they're using their angles in different sorts of ways. It's more of we can solve the problems of the defense presents us in different ways. So we can have our maybe our right tackle working at a different angle, or a wide receiver on the outside kind of crack blocking instead of sending our guard to kind of climb to that person. So having a fullback is such a thrilled it.
Speaker 3: Is so fun to watch. I think we need to be more into.
Speaker 4: The run game and I'm gonna, you know, pound my fist on the table all year for gap scheme runs, particularly because it makes life so hard on defense. And when defenses continue to as daily does, and I think rightfully does, devote more resources to stopping the pass, you've got to be able to get them off balance right balance. In the NFL, it's not about passing the ball fifty percent of the time and running the ball fifty percent of the time, but it's if the defense is giving us a favorable look, are we able to take advantage of that.
Speaker 1: It is very.
Speaker 6: Difficult to find a full block. The Chargers just cut theirs there is now on the Steelers practice squad, so it's very difficult to find a really, really good blocking one. Talk about that gap scheme, man, because I know you've been excited to talk to talk about it on stats end scheme. I got at this time you talked about how it's not that everyone's shifting all the way back towards gap right and from this outside zone and whatnot. But there is kind of a retooling or remolding I guess, of how the run game might go for some coordinator. So talk about how the Dolphins might bring that to this game and then why that would be so effective, maybe in particular against the Chargers.
Speaker 4: When we talk about gap schemer runs, we have power, counter, trap and wham. You know, there's a lot of the run that we'll see from the Lions, for example on Thursday on opening Day, they can feel a little bit more I think aggressive than a zone run. It's more downhill, it's kind of more at you where for example the Chargers, I think they'll be running more duo, which that's also a more of a vertical attacking play, and a lot of defenses now they're i think designed and defensive lineman. They're playing their technique in a way to shut down zone runs and zone run.
Speaker 3: The NFL is a zone running leak.
Speaker 4: It's maybe not always, but I think for the next few years it has for the last while where inside zone and outside zone those are the most common runs and defenses. They are happier to play with lighter boxes, you know, they have those two high coverages and they want to kind of maybe string that ball out. They want to get it to kind of it's called rolling off the table where you can have a safety coming down and clean that up. But that's a lot harder when you have you know, your left tackle or Trent Williams with the Niners does a great job. They're washing down the whole entire front of the line. You have that fullback kicking out the edge, and then the running back is just able to get vertical. It's a different skill set for a running back where when you're running it's really hard. You're reading one gap at a time. It's it's fuel based, it's timing based. You're not always right. It's difficult, and in gap scheme, it's a lot of times it's take the ball and run this to the gap that we've assigned and get downhill right. It's a more aggressive style of run that if your linebackers are kind of rocking back or they're playing off the defensive tackles, a lot of that doesn't matter when the defensive line is are the offensive line is able to push the d line vertical with those doubles, they don't have to finesse in the same sort of way. And then there's a question of are you going to load the box then on defense, and now you've put the defense into such a bind where we're not sure if we can play the run with our light box, but they're running over us for five yards to carry, So now we have to get into something else that's gonna change.
Speaker 2: Getting to that point about gap schemes, I think we're seeing that come to fruition with the Chargers here in Los Angeles too, where you know Killen Moore. If you go back a couple of years ago to the Cowboys, they were one of the league leaders in outside zone. But with the Chargers, it's been a lot of aggressive downhill concepts, a lot of duo, a lot of counter, a lot of trap. And we talked to Joshua Kelly about this a few weeks ago, and the running backs are so excited about the changes because it just makes things so much easier for them. So I think you're going to watch the film of this game after Sunday, Sean and be really really happy about the amount of gap concepts that you're seeing.
Speaker 1: I think on both sides for these teams.
Speaker 4: That's really exciting to hear. I think that that is exciting for the Chargers offensive line particularly. I think that that offensive line unit is going to be so so good. And I know maybe we're talking about the Dolphins offense, but have to take a second to think about those guys getting healthy, getting together, being aggressive in how they attack defensive fronts, and it's going to be so fun because the Dolphins defensive front is really, really, really good, and being spoiled in Week one is just it's just it's almost too rich. Right. We're not even used to watching these full play games back to back to back and thinking, oh, man, I want to watch the Dolphins offense. I want to watch the Chargers offense. Just just be incredibly excited for Sunday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm excited, man, I'll be there. Hopefully there's a win.
Speaker 6: I'd love to drive home after a win and go to work after a win. You've talked a couple of times so far about these outbreaking routes and how the Dolphins might lean into those more and how two maybe needs to be better at those. Talk about why they would lean into that more and how that takes advantage of how the Chargers DB's played last time.
Speaker 4: So the way that DB's were playing were on a lot of the times when there was a stack release and it was kind of a switch where receivers would kind of cross each other. They would stay playing low so closer to the line of scrimmage and then inside closer to the ball. And McDaniel I think he noticed that because they did run those outbreaking concepts at least two times. I think where you see on film there was one example where two ended up scrambling and had a really nice scramble. But that route is open, and it is open because the defense cannot take away everything, right, No defense is able to take away every single angle. A lot of times in Pascar, for example, you know you're playing leverage.
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 4: You're playing leverage hopefully to help in some sort of way. Right, So a lot of times you'll play outside leverage because you know you have and you're funneling them inside. But Staley had the DB's do a really good job of saying to a beat us on these outbreaking routes. And I don't think the Dolphins were comfortable taking that, they were comfortable calling it. But it is I think to his benefit that he got to watch that tape last year, he got to go through it, he got to think about it for that long. So now coming back here on Sunday, I'm absolutely gonna anticipate them at least calling those deep outbreaking routes once, It'll be interesting to see are the Chargers going to say, you know what, if you can beat us with that, after we've taken care of all these different things, you know, hats off to you, right, We'll try and disguise you in a different way. We'll play at around with leverages. But those outbreaking routes, especially at the deeper level, where you're being threatened with hill and waddles, verticality in so many different ways, that's what was open base, just how the defense was playing them. So I'm sure Staley knows that, right, he understood that, and he said beat us this way and they didn't. So maybe that, you know, if the Dolphins can manage getting themselves into third and four way more often, this isn't an issue in any sort of way. But for the Dolphins during the year, I'm sure, I'm sure, I'm sure teams across the league were one studying the Dolphins because what can we steal from them? What can we learn from them? But then also, well, are you able to hit that sort of concept, those kinds of routes where you know, it looked like maybe you weren't as comfortable doing it, And two has arm strength to make those throws he really does for those specific throws he does. So it's just a question of are they Charges going to present that same sort of look, are we going to force you to make the same sort of throw, and can you make it right at the end of the day, can you execute on what is being designed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think this is just the cat and mouse of this coaching matchup is so interesting to me because of what you've kind of outlined today for us. So you think that the Dolphins are going to be countering one way, Maybe they're going to be doing the same kind of thing. I don't know, but what we know about the Chargers is that they're gonna be healthier this time around than they were against the Dolphins previously. So taking into consideration what you think the Dolphins might be changing, what you yourself might need to change, how do you balance that if you're Brandon Staley of hey, let's do what we know and what we trust versus let's maybe be a little bit proactive against the Dolphins on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 4: I think that Staley is gonna have to continue to be really flexible with his run fronts, and I'm glad that they got games in against the Titans last year. They got a game in last year versus forty nine ers, and I wanted to make sure I watch those because the question to me was, well, is Staley just sitting back in one thing? You know, is he inviting the defense to run constantly into the same exact looks?
Speaker 3: And he wasn't.
Speaker 4: Right, So he's more than comfortable getting heavier in the box against certain teams and against certain looks. I think it's gonna be. It's sometimes tough just to line up against the Dolphins because if they're in their two running back one time end and then Hill and Waddle, if they're in that personnel and can get to all of these different things, that makes life so hard. But I do think whether it's blitzing into different fronts where you're kind of you're building a different front instead of lining up in it, that's one way to do it. I think that having those hard, hard edges with bos End Mac is going to make a difference in the run game. And then you know, I'm hoping for a lot from Eric Hendricks, right. I know he's he's happy to be back in his hometown in La So it's gonna be a combination of we need to be versatile on the defensive front, and that might mean hey, we have to play man coverage again. But you know, the charges showed they were comfortable doing that. So then it's you know, it's football so beautiful because it's counter counter, counter, counter, counter counter. We're just throwing punches back and forth. Whether if the defense is comfortable, you know, now we have to get into heavier boxes. Now the offense says, well, that's going to open up more space for the receivers. So I do want to focus on think of those early downs. Are the Charges getting in different fronts against the Dolphins run game? Are the Dolphins saying, you know what, well, three chances of getting ten yards through the air and seeing you know that back and forth and push and pull. I think Mike McDaniel does a good job at the start of the second half. You know, they'll have their sometimes they'll just repeat plays or they'll have kind of scripted their home openers, so we'll see what those adjustments are in that in that short twelve minute halftime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 6: I'm very curious to see what they do here and how they adjust or change or don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I totally get even why you wouldn't.
Speaker 6: I feel like Brandon Staley could go find a Sofi stadium hot dog and sit in the seats with us because he's got his all pro back and then his other all pro back and the guy who paid eight million dollars to play on the D line for and the other guy who paid ten million dollars to play on the D line four. Like, there was so much missing that last game that I feel like Staley could just run the same thing again and they'd be Okay.
Speaker 5: What are the interesting.
Speaker 6: Changes though, and we'll see how much it does change things. Is that Joey Buzza has talked about gaining I think it was like twenty something pounds or whatever it was over the offseason. Morgan Fox last year talked about how over the course of the season, when he had more of a defined role, he naturally kind of look ut the holidays, he said, gained weight. So like with Joey Bosa gaining twenty something pounds or whatever, like, how does that help? I know it's like to play the run, of course, but in your eyes, why would that be able to help them this game or really any game? Throughout the season.
Speaker 4: My hope with Joey Bosa is that he is able to return to a top level as a pass rusher, because that's where you know, if you're a defensive end and you bring real, real pass rushing juice that Bosa has in and that is the top end of it, and that's that kind of tail end that you're hopefully buying. I do think if you're stouter there, it makes it easier to deal with those big tackles.
Speaker 3: And you know, we see TJ.
Speaker 4: Watt a lot of times he'll just throw a tight end away and it feels like for the top end defensive ends, it I think that they're insulted when the offense kind of just has a tight end on them. And I'm hoping to see we see it more often this year where Bosa is just just dumping people and able to get into the backfield and stop him for zero or minus one. He absolutely has that ability. He's shown it for sure. I think that I hope that weight, you know, whether it helps him keep them healthy, whether it's something that you know that solidifies him in his core area. But I do think, you know, being able to knock back those tackles a little bit because he has so much lower body strength. So I think that all of it combined, it's just is it hopefully better, right Mike. I hope he doesn't lose any speed off the edge. I don't think he will. I think just being able to be healthy and being able to get into his full routine is going to be able to just let him jolt off the edge. And you know, if it's sometimes where he flies up the field so far that the running game gets in there, hopefully that's balanced out by any sort of sacks. Because you know, we can make predictions, we can think about it. What if the Charges defensive line just washes the defensive the Dolphins offensive line, the game's just over at that point. It almost it doesn't matter how much scheme we want to talk about, or how much, you know, how much high love Mike McDaniel and what he puts out. If you can't block those guys, you cannot get to what you want to get to, and you're going to have a really long day. So I know you guys are really hoping for that, and throughout the season, I think that's something that certainly we hope to see from Bosa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think, yeah, you know, Tyler and I did our NFL prediction show this past Saturday on our own channel, and my big thing with the Dolphins is, like, all of this is great. I do think that Mike McDaniel is an above average play caller, but I don't know how much I trust what they have along the offensive line. Toront Armstet is already injured and he's potentially inactive in this game. We'll see how that one kind of progresses through this week. But to me, like this, this is really going to come down to that matchup of how the Chargers are able to get after Toua, get him off of his spots, and I think that's really going to be how the Chargers potentially win this game. Is a big day from Joey Boson, Morgan Fox, Khalil Mack, Sebastian Joseph Day against the run, because I think that's their big advantage in this matchup, is the defensive line versus the Dolphins offensive line.
Speaker 4: And you obviously hope you know you have a supernova quarterback, right the Chargers, it seems like they're built to play with the lead and to close that lead. Right, I think they're great in pass coverage. I think the numbers show it out and the film shows it out just beautifully with how dbs take care of routes, So you know, whether it's something getting an early lead, you know, I hope Kellen Moore's foot is on the gas pedal the whole game, but particularly early right. I think that Chargers fans have seen it that when you have a quarterback like that, it can just blow the ceiling off of defenses. And obviously you're hoping the new weapons on the offensive side allow that pass rush to get more into it. Whether it's hey, the Dolphins have to take more pass snaps, We're going to get more chances with both end mac with their hands in the ground.
Speaker 3: That's going to hopefully lead to more sacks for the Chargers.
Speaker 6: So how did the Dolphins manage to be a good and consistent offense last year? Because the offensive line has not been good When two has been the quarterback, it's been a bit rough, and last year I wouldn't say they were great either, and leading into this year, the offensive line is.
Speaker 5: Almost the same as it was last year. So how did the Dolphins?
Speaker 6: How did Mike McDaniel manage to get a good offense, if not almost offense out of what they had given their offensive line woes.
Speaker 4: I think that the Dolphins did a good job manipulating defenses in different ways. Whether it's that motion coming across the field where the defensive end is unblocked, so in that situation, you know, that is obviously dangerous for TUA. But when you have that kind of quick inbreaker, they would run it where they have someone running too the flat, they'd have someone running a kind of a post, but it would be like a glance kind of a short in breaking a slant and a wheel behind it where defenders would be unblocked. So you know, if you can't block them, just don't sometimes, right, I think Dolphins did a really really good job of that. But they also were not bailed out. But they were able to rely on Hill and Waddle in so many different ways, and McDaniel had creative waste again to play action. I really thought it was so cool the way they got into their play action game from the gun. I think it made their offensive lines life a little easier. They whether a lot of times things. You know, we think of Tom Brady where our guard's pulling in play action they had. They did a good job where on the back side of a concept where if we think about the goals versus the Niners that I think it was maybe Hassan Redick where he's on a tie end, he can just dump him in play action where the Dolphins, they'll have a guy on the backside peel instead, so it'll be that backside guard kind of hinging and turning. So now we have a guard on that player instead. So Mike mc daniel is is incredible, and he is very very smart, and he's very good at this. So and part of that is shown as you said, you know, how did they figure this out?
Speaker 3: They were able to.
Speaker 4: So whether it's through players, you know, stepping up a little bit, but a lot of times, you know, the assignments were made easier because I think McDaniel understood, well, we maybe have a shortcoming here or shortcoming there, so we need to make sure we're playing on time, we're playing in rhythm. We can get to our first read fairly quick, take advantage of that speed. And Staley saw that and said, no, thank you and change it up for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love to hear that.
Speaker 2: So again, like I said earlier, this coaching matchup to me is so so exciting and not just this you know matchup, right, you got Vic van Jie versus Kellen Moore on the opposite side, which time and I dive into a lot on our show on Thursday, Sean, this has been great man.
Speaker 1: We really appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: We'll get you out of here with one more thing and that is a final score prediction Chargers Dolphins.
Speaker 1: What you got for us? All right?
Speaker 4: So I don't love making predictions, but you know how much I care about you guys, So I am you know I come on this podcast.
Speaker 3: You guys are so nice to me.
Speaker 4: The Chargers are always great to me, and I'm going to predict the Dolphins win. I got twenty eight to twenty four. I think that McDaniel gets to punch back. I just know that they have been in their dark room watching over and over showing to a Hey, we need to be able to hit these sorts of concepts. I think they bought in new threats.
Speaker 3: On offense.
Speaker 4: They have Devin h and they're going to be more than happy to attack running the ball, and it's going to be on the Charges to adjust that. At the same time, the Chargers obviously have. They have so many paths to victory here. Right, the offensive line is going to come back strong. We're gonna hopefully see Herbert continue to take that next, next next step. Steve, I know you like the defensive line from what you saw camp. The defensive line they can just overmatch the Dolphins, right and again, if Posa and Mac are just getting after it, it does not matter what the counter punches are, because you know, everyone has a plan until you get punch in the mouth, and the charge of defensive line can do that to you.
Speaker 3: They can overwhelm you.
Speaker 4: But with all that said, I think that Mike McDaniel gets to punch back on this one. I have them twenty eight twenty four. But I am more than happy to be wrong. I am more than happy to get get added in the in the replies and the comments or whatever. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, and obviously hopefully everyone goes out to sofa and has a good time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, negative engagement is still engagement, So I appreciate all the extra comments you just got for our video. I don't know who's still watching forty minutes in, but I'm sure they have something to say, we will still invite you back at some point, but if you know, if you're right, then I guess we can invite you back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I said, this has been awesome. Hopefully you guys listening have learned a ton from this episode. I know I certainly have. Please go check out Sean on his podcast over at Summer Sports with Taje Stats and Schemes. It's a fantastic podcast, So go check them out. We really appreciate it, Sean Man. Any final thoughts on this matchup before we head out.
Speaker 3: Just cannot believe this is week one.
Speaker 4: This is like I can't overstate how big that the Sales defensive game plan like shocked the whole entire film world last year and it was so exciting, And you know, I would have loved for this to be like Week twelve, whether it's both, these teams just get so many reps and reps and reps to figure these things out. But we are truly spoiled and it's gonna be a pleasure.
Speaker 3: I hope that. I just hope it's a great game more than anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one, like I said, appreciate your time today. Cannot wait for this matchup. Chargers fans, as always, make sure and subscribe to this channel like comment, let us know what you thought about this particular episode and if you're man at Sean, take it easy on and we know how great he is with his time. We really appreciate him and that's going to do it for us today. We'll see you guys next time. As always at
Speaker 5: H