Speaker 1: A late fifteen to ten touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody, welcome into a Week one edition of Chargers Weekly. Year seven of the podcasts, commencing here as always, joined by Matt Muddy Smith Buddy all the speculation, all to talk about the draft of Combine training camp, It's over. This is where the meat of the podcast really starts. Against the Miami Dolphins Week one. I know you're prepping, You're getting ready for this huge kickoff. Your initial thoughts, my man.
Speaker 1: I don't think we could ask for a better opponent in Week one. You know, you think as we record this, it's Thursday morning. You got a heck of a Thursday night er. Let's go Lions, you know, Lions Chiefs tonight. And this was I just think back to last year and remember this game was back to back with San Francisco and it was coming off they were just the Chargers were ravaged, ravaged by injury. And I remember walking the halls of Levi's Stadium. You know, there's just it's a giant press box at Levi's and everybody to an individual was talking about what a bloodbat this was going to be. This could end up being one of the worst Sunday night football games. The Chargers are absolutely decimated by injuries. The forty nine ers have been humming with Christian McCaffrey. You know, they look like an absolute buzzsaw that's going to make it to the super Bowl. And then, of course, you know the way it turned out. They got a lead at the half, they can't run the ball. Brilliant bit of defensive scheming by Brandon Staley. And unfortunately you lose three defensive linemen in that. You're down to three defensive linemen in that game, and ultimately attrition took its toll. They lose. Well, then that carried over to the Miami game. Let's not forget. Then we're walking the halls of so FI and everybody's saying the same thing. Oh, another primetime game, bloodbath Tyreek Hill and Jalen Waddle and it's gonna be humiliating. They don't have anyone, And again, brilliant bit of defensive scheming from Brandon Staley. Josh s Heir, Taylor comes up big, Herbert has a monster game, Tua has the worst game of his career, and the Chargers get out with a win. And I just I set that as the backdrop because I believe there is scar tissue there from these Dolphins, that this is a very important game for them, that you know, for Mike McDaniel, who's supposed to be and it is, I mean legitimately a great play caller, a great offensive coach, that there's some scar tissue there and they are going to come out, you know, with their hair on fire. And I have no doubt that the Chargers defense is like, hey, that wasn't a fluke. You know, we were all busted up last year and that's what our defense should have looked like weekend and we got and we're going to prove it and set the tone for the league the rest of the season. So I absolutely love that this is our opener where you have two teams that are coming out swinging haymakers because they want to prove a point and set the tone for the season in this first game, if.
Speaker 2: You guys remember, that was the game I think Keenan and Mike came back and that was really the catalysts forgetting to the postseason. The game plan by Brandon Saley and if you remember, I feel like that game could have gone another way had a Loohi Gilman not gotten his fingertips on a football on the first play from scrimmage. It was gonna be a short touchdown. Tyreek kilbambe alow, he's kind of set the tone with a big play from the beginning. I found it to be a curious game plan by the Miami Dolphins. I think they ran the ball maybe three times out of their first sixteen or seventeen plays. They were gung ho on throwing the ball with Tua. It did not work out, and of course he saw Keenan and Mike back with Justin. Justin threw for three hundred and seventy six yards, one of his best games of his career. But Brandon Staley said it, I believe on Wednesday Money that this is gonna be a completely different ballgame, completely different players. Yeah, you got Vic Fangio now running the defense. You have Ronaldo Hill who's over with Vic and in Miami, and you know we know that Ronaldo knows Brandon Stalley and and vice versa.
Speaker 3: So there's gonna be a chess match. Especially.
Speaker 2: I think at the beginning of this game, Brandon Saley made very clear that they're gonna have to adjust in game to what Vic does on defense and of course, Mike McDaniel company have a blueprint of what Brandon Stanley did last year. So it's a fascinating matchup because these are two teams that I think have high expectation Super Bowl expectations, and what a statement win it could be for either team to start one or zero against a team that you're probably gonna have to have a tie breaker against at some point once.
Speaker 1: We get to January's a great, great point and I think you're already talking about it because of how stacked the AFC is, how big this game is from a tie breaking standpoint. The Dolphins are in a division that has been dominated by the Bills the last couple seasons, right, and they look to have the best stacked you know, look, Miami top to bottom might be better in terms of entire roster construction, but when you got Josh Allen, that changes the calculus. So they're contending with the Bills for the division and might be thinking about that wildcard. Of course, the Chargers have got to figure out a way to knock off the Chiefs, who have dominated this division for five straight years and really what eight of the last ten years. So if you're talking about a Wildcard. This is a big one, a huge tiebreaker to have, especially, you know, because it's a home game for the Chargers. You know, it's tough to one on the road no matter who your opponent is. It's very hard to go on the road and win because, you know, all things being equal, teams are pretty good turns out in the NFL, no matter what you think their record's going to be. Games rarely are blowouts. So this is a big game from that standpoint. You brought up the run. That's why I think Coach Staley when he was asked about, you know what, can you just do what you did last year, He's like, look, this is going to look different because you said it. They barely ran the ball. This is a team. You know what was Mike McDaniels. You know what was he? He was the special sauce in the run game for Kyle Shanahan. It's why I never want to let him go and you know, turn him down for all those those OC and made him an OC so he wouldn't get snatched from him. So he comes out and I think they ran the ball what nineteen times in the entire game? You mentioned three times in the first three series. Now, look, Brandon Staley did a great job and the defense did a great job of shutting that run down when they tried to run it. They did not have a lot going until the second half. But I do believe they're they're going to test this Chargers run defense and say, hey, this this is a team that has been bad against the run the last two seasons. Let's see if they fixed it. Let's see if it's really health or are their issues are there because the personnel is the same for the most part, will there continue to be underlying issues. It didn't make sense that and we talked about this, I think it was either last week or the week before, right where every now and then you get a little bit of coaching hubris of oh no, we're gonna we're gonna make this about two and Herbert and we're going to see who out duels the other and we're going to prove a point. And it's like, just go in the game, and I think you're probably gonna see a lot of a lot of most Wilson's no longer on the team, he was the better runner of the two in that first game, So it'll be interesting to see if they adjust their attack and aren't so hell bent on proving that that two is every bit is good. You know, in primetime, the two is every bit as good as his quarterback ratings suggested and what he was putting together up to that point. And I'm thankful that they did because you know, coach Staley was ready for him, but the Charger defense was ready for him. And it's I just I do think it'll look different, and you know what that goes for the Chargers as well, Chris, you mentioned Keenan who had twelve receptions in the game. It was probably Mike's Mike Williams best game, right, It was the it was the most yards with a touchdown that he had. It was his highest yards per catch. I think it was nearly twenty yards per catch in that game. So when you had the two of them out there, you don't have Jalen Ramsey in this one, so you know that obviously is a benefit. And on top of that, you got you got Austin Eckler who had a touchdown, but I think he only rushed for about three and a half per clip, So I think that's going to be a different look as well. With Kellen Moore, You're going to see a lot more attention to the run. Rashaan Slay. I mean, we can go on forever. How much different this is going to look?
Speaker 2: So I think it starts with these coordinators. Right, you have Kellen Moore and Vic Fangio end of the picture. They weren't in the picture in week fourteen. What is this Kellen Moore offense going to look like?
Speaker 3: Money?
Speaker 2: I think fans want to believe that they're going to score thirty five points on Sunday and win thirty five to thirty one.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is. I think that we.
Speaker 2: Need to proceed with caution, especially early in the year. I remember last year that loaded Cowboys offense Week one, Sunday Night Football.
Speaker 3: I think they scored three points.
Speaker 2: Dak Prescott got hurt, and you know they got the train back on the tracks. But I don't know what to expect, honestly, Like I think we keep saying bombs away, bombs away. I do think you're gonna see a healthy dose of the running game. And I think like the deep X factors in this game are like those backup running backs like Spiller and Kelly and a Chain, these two Texas A and M Young running backs, like, how are they gonna.
Speaker 3: Play a role in this game? Potentially?
Speaker 2: But I think for all the bombs away in the in the offense, like are they gonna score a ton of points? I think we need to maybe pump the brakes because we have no idea what it's gonna look like and how long it's going to take to really gel.
Speaker 3: Because keep in mind, none of these starters play in the preseason.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, really, the only thing that we have to go off of is practice in a pair of joint practices against the New Orleans Saints. So how is that going to factor into Week one? Like how crisp are you really gonna be? How how crisp are you even possibly capable of being?
Speaker 1: I think the good news for the Chargers is they've been practicing every day against what we think is going to be one of the best offenses in the league. So even though those starters didn't play in the preseason against you know, for the most part, depth players on the opposing rosters. You know, we didn't see a lot of starters out there in either of the contest and any three of the contests, So you know, I saw it for one drive with the forty nine ers, So maybe you try to get the starters out there to get a look at that, but I don't think it would have made much of a difference. The key is that when you have when your team is balanced, it makes such a big difference. When you don't just have this explosive offense that's going to outscore teams and you're going to have to outscore them thirty five to twenty eight because your defense is lacking a little bit. That's where you've poured all your resources. Makes tough to practice and prepare for a dominant defense when you ultimately face one. Well, Chargers have domination on both sides of the ball. I mean, we talked about it, just the players they have on the defensive line with Eric Kendricks now at linebacker, and my goodness, you want to talk about name to captain, you listen to the other players, you know. We talked to Joey Bosa yesterday on the radio show Petros and Money, and like just listening to him talk about Eric Hendricks and how big of a difference he believes that's gonna make. He's like just the communication, the way he's got to set up. He's like the defense is so dependent upon each other, especially when you start to get to the back end. He's like, he goes, this is gonna be a big deal to have him back there, and how that feels. So I think to be able to practice against that as good in this Miami defense. I mean, especially if Jalen was out there instead of Eli Apple, you know, this is gonna be one of the best defenses they face all season. I truly believe that that Jalen Phillips has got a chance to be the defensive player of the year. I think he is that good. You look at when I was putting the when I was putting my boards together, I want to pull it up because I don't want to short change him. I went, you know, and obviously everybody pays attention to sacks. And last year he had seven sacks, which led the Dolphins. He had twenty five quarterbacks, which led the Dolphins. Guy had eighty four pressures. Eighty four pressures, and remember they only had seven or eight games with Bradley Chubb and in those eight games, Guy had thirty two pressures. So you're talking about those two guys on the edge, and on top of that, right in the middle of that line. You got Christian Wilkins, who's one of the most sound tackling just mess, an absolute nightmare to contend with on the defensive line. So that's, you know, that's what we're talking about. And to be able to practice against Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa, that's going to go a long way. When now you've got to contend with Bradley Chubb and Jalen Phillips, a few.
Speaker 2: Guys that were not in that game for the Chargers, for Sean Slater, you know, did to have a Shawn Slater back in the mix. When you have Chubb and Phillips coming at you every snap is a welcome site for Justin Herbert. Joey Bosa was not in that game. I mean, you and I have talked repeatedly about a big reason why the run defense was so leaky was because number ninety seven wasn't out there. Just his his presence in the running game. And I think perhaps maybe the biggest X factor and kind of question mark is J C. Jackson sounds like he's gonna play in this game money and and.
Speaker 3: How is he going up to him? He is right, and he's not on the injury report.
Speaker 2: I think if you look at the injury report, toront Armstad has like the injury report of someone like myself who wakes up has like three different injuries. I think he has got like an ankle, a knee, you know, but what's his name. Mike McDaniel said that he could potentially still play in the game.
Speaker 1: But j C.
Speaker 3: Jackson to me, let's just go.
Speaker 2: Let's go back to him, because we know how last year started, didn't have him for a majority of the year.
Speaker 3: I think we were pleasantly.
Speaker 2: Surprised to see him practicing right at the beginning of training camp after such a tough knee injury. He says he's gonna go, and I think Tyreek Hill and Jalen Wattle will probably test him early and we will see how it all shakes out.
Speaker 3: No doubt.
Speaker 1: And look, he's with with the way that they played this team last year. You know, JC, when healthy is one of the best press man corners in the league. So that's how Brandon Staley wants to play. He wants to disrupt the timing of this offense, and that's how they were able to take advantage of it and forced two into a ten of twenty eight evening in that contest. So if he's if he's full go and if he is one hundred percent, that is a huge, I mean, just a monster addition for this Chargers defense, because that's what this that's what this thing was everybody was so afraid of. You know, explosive plays from Tyreek Kill and Jalen Waddell, two of the fastest guys in the league. Two is an incredibly accurate quarterback. It's hitting them right and stride that They just wanted to keep the top on that defense and by doing so created all this space in the middle for those guys to catch and run. And now all of a sudden, you've got to make sure you're taking the right angle or they are off to the races. And that happened far too often when you have the ability and you have the physicality of corners like Mikey Davis. You know, I think people forget how big you know, Mikey is that you know you don't. It's that's the thing about football. It's not like it's not like basketball. It's not like baseball where you're naked to the world. You know, you've got pads on, you've got helmets on. You're you're around very large human beings. And you know when when Mikey's standing next to Joey Bosa or Austin Johnson and you're like, oh, yeah, he's not that bad, No, he's he's a legit, six foot two, two hundred pounds. He's big. And so to have him on one side and j C on the other and even Josser or Assante whoever's going to be out there, Oh, the physical guys, you know that can bust you up off the line of scrimmage. And now you don't have to worry about sacrificing one side of the field versus the other. Okay, do we want you know, where do we want to put ja Siir? Is he on waddle? Is he going to be you know, are we going to put Mikey in there or just j You may see jac in there, You very well may see that may be a little wrinkle that we see. And you put j C jack and in the slot on waddle or hill and have Asante on the outside with Mikey. That that's something that's possible if j C is healthy, and that's gonna help with those three by one formations that McDaniel likes to use so much. And on that inside of that three that three player side is Tyreek Hill running that quick slant and they're trying to get it popped. And that's where you get that that you know, that pressure to knock the timing off on that. So it's gonna be if JC can go, it's gonna be a lot of fun because I think there's a lot of things that Brandon Staley can then do with how he wants to move these pieces around, including Derwin. You very well may see Derwin right in there opposite Tyreek or you know, or Jalen, just to really give them a pop with with that size to see if they can recover from that and if too, you know, and by the time they do is two and now is his timing so far off that now there's Bosa, there's Morgan Fox, there's two Lee, you know, Khalil mack All in the backfield ready to make those sacks because I think, do you remember what it was with how many times Tua got sacked in that game. I can't quite remember it off the top of my head, but I feel like he got pressured a lot. I think he got sacked a couple times. So sacked twice twice for eighteen yards, but he was just under pressure the whole game.
Speaker 2: So what I love about week one is that you know, there's a wrinkles that we were not gonna talk about, that we're gonna see. I remember Week one against the Raiders, seeing Derwin and Mac lined up on the same side and just wreaking havoc against Derek Carr. We're gonna see things like that. And I think that the fact that there's not a lot of turnover on the defense save for Kendricks, and then adding a guy like tu Lee this defense, this unit is very comfortable with what they did last year, and I think they're gonna gel even nicer in twenty twenty three. Let's take a quick break, and I want to dig into justin a little bit as he kind of embarks on a new chapter of his career at Kelling Moore. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat? Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to SOFI Stadium, select your favorites, and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There's so many mouth watering options, and so FI let the stadium rumble, not your stomach.
Speaker 3: Go Chargers.
Speaker 2: So, Mandy, this offense with Kellen Moore a lot of the same personnel. One of the things I'm looking at early in the year especially, is Justin Herbert in his rushing ability and if they're going to use his legs in this offense. And I go back to the first two years of his career, he had eight total touchdowns on the ground. He averaged four point three yards to carry in year one, four point eight in year two. Last year, we know why he didn't run right, No touchdowns one hundred and forty seven yards of the ground, just two point seven yards per clip. That was part of the offense that they just couldn't use. And you know, we've talked about the Pittsburgh game a couple of years ago and how his legs were a big reason why they beat the Steelers. Justin as a threat to run, I think could be a very nice wrinkle in this offense. And I'm just wondering if they're gonna use it, if that's gonna be something that they actually intentionally do, and Justin is just smart about getting out of bounds and getting down when he needs to.
Speaker 1: I would expect him to remember last year in this game, it was one of his biggest runs of the season on that eight and a half minute game clinching drive with the field goal that put him up nine. Right, it was a third down and he took off and picked up those ten yards because they cleared it out. I think that's probably more likely what you'll see as opposed to design quarterback runs. Now, Kellen Moore, you know, feels like he's catching the defense sleeping and flat footed and recognizes something you know I could have met, like the way the way that I've interpreted this thing's gonna go. I think we brought this up last week. I don't mean to repeat myself, but is you're gonna have they want to play with tempo, you're gonna have four or five plays. You're gonna have a couple check with me and they won a roll. And so if if Justin's got that in that bundle of plays and it's you know, and we've said it, you know how SMARTI is. If he sees it, then you'll see that designed run and he'll take it. And get down because we saw that with Dak right, Dak, there was a lot of you know, quarterback run with Dak. And you know, one of the reasons why it was top five offense yearning year out, because you sleep on that. That's like, that's how you make it even, right, it's eleven versus eleven. Now you've got to count for the quarterback taken off and that makes a big difference in what you ask a defense to do to slow you down. You mentioned Josh Palmer. I think the thing about the defense, I should say the thing. The thing about the offense this year. It's not just getting Slater back, it's you know, whenever you talk to the offensive line coaches, they tell you it's five fingers on a glove, right, and they've all got to work together. That's what the offensive line is. If one of those fingers is gone, you know, it just kind of it eliminates what you're trying to accomplish. I you know, and this is me stealing from a little bit because he's the one that pointed it out to me. But man, I have not been able to take my eyes off Zion all preseason. It's going to be a big year for him, I mean a big year. And to me, that side and I again love Jamari and Trey. That's it's this has a chance to be the best offensive line in the league. I really believe that with that left with from Corey to Zion to Slater, I think that left side of the line is going to be able to do some incredible work and just serious damage. You're talking about protecting Justin's blind side while he's dropping back to wait for those downfield routes to develop, And that was something and I give him credit in the in the press or on Wednesday. He's not and he's not a jerk like I am. He's not taking shots at anybody on their way out the door. But he's say, you know, you got to remember, I those shot plays were there, but just circumstances and and how the offense was running and what we were doing. It's you know, that's that's the only reason why those perhaps didn't come together, but they were there. And so I think now now they're there, and you got the protection, and you've got a healthy receiving corps and you know, and and Austin Eckler is coming off of thirty eight touchdowns the last two seasons, so the defense is no doubt going to be spying him the whole time. And like it's it's all in week one. It's all there for the taken. Everybody's healthy, it is all there for the taking. And I mean we didn't even mention, you know, Q and what we might see from just those quick slants that he was so effective at at TCU getting the ball in his hands, you know, five yards, just a quick end and he's gone like that. That's that's another element that we have that we just don't have, or we didn't have on this offense in previous seasons. That guy that's you know, the Tyreek kill, the Jalen waddle, just quick cut and go, and that's I'm anxious to see how that gets worked into this whole thing.
Speaker 3: How about Gerald Effertt.
Speaker 2: I mean, aye, right, he's totally forgotten about because you know, the first four wide receivers that we mentioned is keen of Mike Palmer and Quintin. And how are they going to deploy Austin. You know, Austin had all these dump offfs last year because they had nobody that could get the ball down the field. How is Austin gonna look because we haven't seen him in a preseason game with Kellen Moore?
Speaker 3: Is he going to be more efficient with his touches?
Speaker 2: Are they gonna use Kelly Moore as a runner and Austin as kind of a joker all around the field. I mean, there's so many questions that we're gonna get some answers to on Sunday, and the test being this Dolphins defense that you mentioned. How do you think this Vic Fangio brand and Staley familiarity with each other is going to play out throughout the course of the game. I think it's all about adjustments. They know each other like the back of their hand. And you know, obviously Vic has different personnel, say for Bradley Chubb than he had in Denver, but a lot of really good players. You talk about Jalen Phllips maybe being the best.
Speaker 1: I think let's just go back to twenty twenty one, right, and do you have when you look at those Bronco games, you know that now the second one they smoked him right, thirty four thirteen, but they lost twenty eight thirteen. You go back to twenty twenty and you know, and you lose thirty one, Well, they score thirty in that one, but then they win nineteen to sixteen. The point I'm getting, like, to me, Vic Fangio does a really good job against against the Chargers, against just and you know who's again he got him a couple times. But and that's nothing against It's not Ding and Herbert at all. It's just vic is. Vic Fangio is a really good defensive coordinator. There's gonna be a it's a serious chess match. And I'm certainly happy that the guy taking snaps for the Chargers is one of the smartest quarterbacks in the league that just so happens to be the most physically gifted as well. Like that's that's the sort of thing you need to be able to overcome. Not only you know Vic Fangio coordinating it. But I don't want to make it a name salad. But as I said, Bradley Chubb, Jalen Phillips, Christian Wilkins, you know, Raekwon Davis is your nose tackle big three hundred and fifty pounds. Even Zach Seeler has been really good on the interior that line, getting push. Xavian Howard we know has led the league in interceptions before you know, Javon Holland, former teammate of Herbert's, one of the best young safeties in the league. This thing is, this is a really good roster defensively that Vic gets to work with. And we saw what he was able to do in Denver, just didn't have a quarterback to balance it out, and ultimately, you know, the defense would get worn out from being on the field too long. So now he's got an offense that can hum, he's got a defense that's super talented. It's gonna be a challenge, this is It's gonna be a really tough game to win. It's gonna be a really good competitive game. These are two of the most talented rosters in the league. And I would not suspect to see anything but a brawl, a freaking street fight between these two teams.
Speaker 2: I hate to be like prisoner of the moment here, but we have the ability to look ahead. These guys are focused on Miami, but you know, you look at the importance of this game. Next the next week, you got to go to Tennessee against Mike Vrabel, a Mike vrabel coach team on the road. The week after you got to go to Minnesota. It's never easy to beat the Minnesota Vikings in Minnesota, and last year then you come back for the Raiders, So you know, this is a This is a huge game. I'm not saying it's must win because it's Week one and you know anybody can say that, but the fact that it's against an opponent that you expect to be competing with for a playoff spot, uh, that's a big deal. It's at home, that's a big deal. You got to go on the road against Tennessee Titans. So I think everybody's kind of writing off because of what happened last year. They were decimated by injuries, like Malik Willis was in the game, uh for the Titans when they when the Chargers beat them at SOFI Stadium last year and they barely beat them. It took a Mike Williams Barracle catch to get them in field goal range to win it. So I just I don't want to be like, hey man, you have to win this game, but this is this is a big deal to start the year. Want to know there's gonna be you know, all in is I think drops today. We're taking this on a Thursday. They're going to have everything that happened at the end of last year at that Jacksonville game, and you can see on the faces of the players and coaches what that night meant to them and what this season means to them because of the experiences that they went.
Speaker 3: Through last year.
Speaker 2: So this is a this is definitely a bounce back opportunity right at the beginning of the year to show that, hey, you know, we're past what.
Speaker 3: Happened in Jacksonville.
Speaker 2: We're focused on twenty twenty three, and we're gonna beat a good opponent at home to show you.
Speaker 1: It's a great point because we know that it dogs them. They don't like hearing about it. It was, you know, almost it was eight months ago. They're sick of talking about twenty seven nothing. But it happened, and it's going to be talked about as it's being talked about on every single twenty twenty three preview show, no matter what channel you're watching it on. When the Chargers come up, the first thing that is discussed is they blew a twenty seven to nothing lead in the playoffs, and that's how their season ended. You know, that's the year before they lost to the Raiders in a week eighteen winner punches, they're taken into the playoffs and the Chargers there is no better way to stop that conversation than by, you know, beating a team that a lot of people are picking to make the playoffs. Many people are picking them to win the division. Some people are picking them to go to the super Bowl. They think it's that talented of a team. So you set the tone in Week one with a victory. I don't care if it's by one point or if it's by one hundred. You set the tone with a win, and that way, now people are talking about, well, this was a showdown between two teams that we could totally see contending for their division or winning the wildcard, and now the Chargers have the win and the tiebreaker against Miami that gives them a huge leg up the AFC. That's that's the quickest way to end the conversation. It's been. You know, we've been around Derwin long enough to know he's one of the best, one of the best interviews on the team. There's an energy, he loves talking. I don't know if you've noticed he's been different this preseason. He's been very short with his answers. Everything is very stock. We just got to get out there and play. We know what we got to do. It's been a completely different Derwin James. You can see just that pinpoint focus that he has got on this game because he doesn't I can tell like it's I'm not trying to play amateur psychologist here, but it's almost like he's uncomfortable puffing his chest out because of how it ended last year and how last season went. Like he is not his typical big swagger, you know. I'm like, he's different. It's just if you go and look at I wish I could pull it up or if we if we had the sound, I would I would share it with you. But like when you when you here, we go, I'll just kind of give you an idea. Here's the transcript. So here is uh Derwin I'm looking he has one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, forty fifteen. Sixteen questions were asked of him in this presser. One two of them are more than one sentence. Answers answers two out of sixteen questions, two of them, how do you feel healthy and ready to go preparing for Tyreek Killing Jalen Waddle hard to simulate the speed. Guys on our team be giving us great looks beginning of a new season, just looking to start it fresh. That was last season. I like, it's just on beating Miami last season. That was last season. They're ready to play this game. Like there, you can tell you can when you have someone that has that type of talent and you just see that, You're like, oh man, this dude. Not that he doesn't always come out ready to play, you know, one hundred percent, But I don't mean to keep repeating myself with the same point. I'm not used to seeing that from him. I'm used to seeing him smiling and having a great time with the media, and that has not been Drwin this preseason.
Speaker 2: I smiled because he sets the tone I think for the entire team. You know, you go around the league money and everyone has like eight nine ten captains. The captain's are on this team really, in my opinion, is Justin Herbert and Derwin James. Derwin James, I think kind of sets the tone for the entire fifty three. I think even with Brandon Staley, I think that he's been a little bit more matter of fact this year in some of his answers, because these guys are sick of talking about it, and I think, you know, a lot of it was media driven last.
Speaker 3: Year, you know, super Bowl or bust.
Speaker 2: Look at all these new additions Khalil Mack all all these different guys that they got that Brandon Staley had coached in the past that are going to help J. C. Jackson this year. It's more just all right, you know what, just show me, show me on the field. I don't want to talk about going to the playoffs. I don't want to talk about winning the division. I don't want to talk about going to the super Bowl. We have all the talent in the world. We have maybe the most talented roster in football, you know, if you're just looking at the starters, right, I mean, there's a handful of teams that I think can say that they have arguably one of the most talented rosters of football. The Chargers are one of them. They don't want to talk about it anymore, and I don't think fans want them to talk about it anymore. They want to see it. They want to see it starting week one, and I love the fact that Derwyn James is setting the tone in this way, you know, because frankly, I don't need to hear we don't need to hear any cliche answers, or we don't need to hear anything beyond let's just go win a football game. And I agree with you money, I've noticed that difference in Derwin.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good thing.
Speaker 2: And I think if Derwin is acting like that, you best believe that that's permeating through the locker room because he sets the tone for the entire organization.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, I no doubt there's You know, the Chargers have had it both ways right in the media, particularly in social media, which is what players tend to see because they're all on it. You know, they don't have to turn on they don't have to turn on ESPN, they have to turn on Fox Sports one. They have turned on you know, Channel two to watch you and Jim talking about it like that. That's a destination. It's already in front of them on social media because they're on it. It's a way for them to expand their their personalities and make money and expand their brand and do all of that. So they see it. And the Chargers have been both a social media darling and a social media punching bag. It's been both things, you know, and and I to me that, you know, one of the things about being anointed that team, and I felt like they were last season. Last season in the preseason, after they made the signings. You know what, Brandon Staley's got his pieces. Now here's j C. Jackson, they got Sebastian, Joseph Dan and Austin there's the middle of that line that they needed that wasn't there last year. And a lot of people picked them to win the Super Bowl and or to dethrone the Chiefs for the first time, and when it didn't happen, they get upset. People take that personally as though like somehow the Chargers did them wrong some way and now they have to pay it. So now of course they become the punching bag. And you know, the twenty seven nothing collapse in the postseason, those players have seen it. They can't get away from it. I would imagine anytime they post something, if they dare get in their mentions, there's hundreds of twenty seven nothing choker Charger like, that's what they have to see. So because you know, God knows, I see it you know. And I I'm a nobody, you know, but if I get into my mentions, that's all I get. If I post anything about the Chargers, I gotta wear that. And I'm I'm on a field. I'm just got the calls of games, you know, so I can only imagine what it's like for them. And I think that's why you're seeing this very like think about the stuff Joey's talking about, like he's again one of the and we, like I said, we talked to him yesterday and he was still his great, quick witted, lighthearted self, but it was a matter of factness to him. And you listen to the way he talks, I don't want, you know. And he brought this up with us yesterday and we've heard it throughout the preseason. It's my eighth year. You're young, and you think it's gonna be easy and you're gonna make five super Bowl. He goes, this is my eighth year. I gotta get to. I got to get to and win a Super Bowl. I got these guys around me that I believe, you know that we all believe in each other. We owe it to each other, you know, talked about bulking up how he needs to be better against the run, how he needs to set that edge. He's talking about playing the wide nine and just not quite being comfortable when it first started, and how he's adjusted, and how he needs to get you know, that hand in the dirt a little bit more as opposed to you know, being in a two point stance all the time. Like he's again, these these superstars, they just they sound different, They sound different. It feels different going into this season.
Speaker 2: The thing, too, money is that it's not just like one guy who can change this narrative, has to be everybody. And I think that's what Irwin is I think preaching is that, you know, if we're going to change the narrative, if we're going to erase what happened last year, we all have to do it together.
Speaker 3: It can't just be me. It can't just be justin. It can't just be Khalil.
Speaker 2: You know, you don't think Joey's a little upset how his season ended in Jacksonville last year, you know, everything that.
Speaker 3: Happened in the game, but also not being around.
Speaker 2: He's talked repeatedly about how he felt like, you know, he didn't want to let Khalil Mack down, and you know how important it is to him to pair up with Khalil and live up to the potential and the expectations that were set when Khalil was traded here. So there's a there's a chip on everybody's shoulder, and I think there's a collective one with how things ended. And I think you look at the personal and individual guys in their career. Joey talking about, Hey, you know what, it's time for me to win. Now, It's time for me to get to a super Bowl and win it.
Speaker 3: Derwin.
Speaker 2: He's been an All Pro, he's been a Pro Bowler, He's the best safety in football.
Speaker 3: We know that he needs more now.
Speaker 2: Brandon Staley, you win nine games your first year, ten your second.
Speaker 3: What now?
Speaker 2: Right time to go? Time to win a division, Time to get to a super Bowl. Justin Herbert, you just got a ton of money. You regard as a top five quarterback in the league. Time to win. Everybody has something. Austin Eckler, you didn't get the money you wanted. You deserved it. Go prove that you deserve it. For twenty twenty four, everybody's got a story. Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, I can go on and on guys who were injured, Rashaun Slater. You don't think Rashawn has something to prove this year. People forgot about him, like he wasn't the best left tackle in football because.
Speaker 3: He missed most of the last year.
Speaker 2: So everybody has their own personal thing that they are trying to achieve this year. But I think the collective and really the fan base money. I think the biggest thing that I get from the fans is they're second heard about it. They just want to see this team win and compete. And the fans are excited because they have a new offensive coordinator, They got a ton of personnel on offense that has the potential to be very explosive, and football is back. So I'm just I'm excited because the season's back. But also you see all the personal reasons while these guys are ticked off and ready to go in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and look, I think to get beyond the you know, attitude and the approach and get into the okay that's yeah, Yeah, everybody wants to win, right, All these teams want to win, and that you know, they're all going to come in feeling that way I think in terms of just the game and how they win. You know, one of the interesting things I want to make sure I give credit to the right. I feel like it was Popper that did the article on the Athletic about the defense the last couple of days, and if it wasn't, I apologize to whoever it might have been. But they talked to Sebastian Joseph Day and kind of about being in this this defense again, and he made a point that that I've been making and I sound like an apologist, and it's not. It's not me being an apologist. It's me pointing out the reason why this defense has not lived up to expectations is because of explosives. It's not that they get gashed playing and play out for six yards and eight yards and six yards and five yards against the run. That's not what it is. It's and I think it was Sebastian Joseph Day that mentioned it. It's those sixty yard run against Houston. It's those plays that would lead that led to this run defense being ranked where it was, And look, you can't have those plays. That's how you lose games. I mean, you're giving up touchdowns on sixty yard runs. I'm not saying that the run defense is better than advertised because you know, playing and play out, they're stopping the run and they are putting teams into some third and launch. Well, that wasn't happening last towards. You know, that wasn't happening as much last year because of the injuries, specifically to Joey, when teams just started running at Kyle van Ney relentlessly and he was being asked to play a position that he wasn't comfortable playing and it took him five, six, eight weeks to figure it out before he was able to set that edge to become a pass rusher. And we remember kind of that switch with Kyle and how much better he became when they went on that four game win streak toward the end of the season. So I think it's important to put everything in context, and I feel like that's that's what I'm most excited to watch, is we're going to look at a defensive line that is Mac Johnson, Joseph Dave Bosa. We're going to look at a linebacking duo that's Kendricks and Kenneth Murray, and we are going to look at hopefully j C. Jackson, Asante Samuel and Mikey Davis as your corners, and a Lowhi and Derwin is your safeties. That's what's going to be out there. That's what's supposed to be out there. Those are guys that have been this defense now long enough to be comfortable with, save Eric Kendricks, who, by all accounts listening as I said earlier in the pod to the defensive players, everybody's very excited about being the leader, you know, communication wise and getting it set up of this defense to make sure everybody is in their right spots. And I'm not going to say any names, but there were misd assignments last year. There were just there were misd assignments, and that's how you end up with explosives, bad angles forgetting Oh that's right, he's handing off to me. This is my job. There's a lot of that on the back end of this defense, and it just it would get away from him last year, or when Joey went down attacking that edge that wasn't Khalil Mack. And you know how much we hear how much better Kenneth Murray is this year, and how much more comfortable he is with Eric Kendricks next to him getting him set up. There was a lot of that in that run game, where you're you're not quite where you're supposed to be, and that's how these things get away. It's what you know. It's one of the things that Joseph they talked about in that article. It's like this everybody's he goes, here's the thing about this defense. It's everybody's got to be on the same page. And when they are, it's music. It's beautiful, but it's it's harder to do. But if you can do it, that's how you end up as the number one defense in the league, like they were with Brandon Staley coordinating the Rams, and that's what they're looking forward to proving they can do this year.
Speaker 3: Danny Markino sent this to me.
Speaker 2: Brandon Staley's three and zero in week one games as a head coach and a coordinator, so that bodes well. And uh right, there's a lot of a lot of great games. I think this is one of the mor key games. Money, Let's let's end it here. What do you think will decide this game? Not knowing anything?
Speaker 1: To me, it's defense. It's it's exactly what I just mentioned it's preventing explosive plays, which against this particular team with Jalen Waddle and Tyreek Hill is not easy to do.
Speaker 3: But I atoll did nothing in the game last year too.
Speaker 1: By the way, right two catches I think, right? Yeah, And Tyreek Hill of course had the fumble return. He then had a touchd on in the second half as well, but and he should have had one on the first play that to have missed or that to a mist him. But also, like you said, a lowie got his fingertips on it. I do think that that this will be a if the defense plays how we believe it can play, go in the game, I have full faith that the offense is going to be able to get something. That is, I think the offense is gonna hum. I really do believe that. To me, it's more of a and well, I see now I say that, and I forget about Vic Fangio and just how good he is. But yeah, I think I still think I give you know, I still I still have that faith in Justin to Justin Herbert and that offense to overcome. Even as good as Vic Fangio is and as talented as the players are that he's putting out there. I think the offense is going to score points. To me, it's it's defense. That's what it'll probably come down to.
Speaker 2: And I think it's going to be a you know, we talked about the myth of halftime adjustments, but just adjustments throughout the course of the game, especially in Week one, because you know, these both both teams have months to prepare for this, so you don't know how somebody's.
Speaker 3: Going to come out. I think adjustments.
Speaker 2: And then also, you know, we talked about this months ago, but some of the things that plagued the Chargers getting off to a fast start, the slow starts in the third quarter. I want to see how those things change in twenty twenty three with Chris, you know, because that was something that just really this team was behind the eight ball so many times in the first quarter and then so slow to start a second half. So you know, if you score, let's say you score seventeen points in the in the second quarter, can you sustain that in the second half and keep your foot on the gas. That was the thing that I think really plagued this team last year is just the inopportune slow starts in the second half, are allowing your opponent to get up ten to nothing.
Speaker 3: I remember Atlanta.
Speaker 2: You know they end up winning that game, but going down ten nothing, not really having the ball in the first quarter, kind of setting the tone and putting the game on your terms.
Speaker 1: It's a great point, and it's it's funny you chose that path right the Atlanta because I think I'm thinking the opposite. Like you're blowing out Houston and you let them get back into the game. You're up ten to nothing on Kansas City and you let them get back into the game. You are absolutely throttling the Dolphins, and yet you let them get back into the game. You got to make sure you're recovering on side kick and win the game by six, like they gotta They gotta have that killer instinct, foot on the throat. We're up twenty seven nothing on Jacksonville, and guess what at the end of this game, it's gonna be fifty to nothing. You know, it's not hang on, hang on, it's you know, continuing to just get after it and continuing to stay aggressive, not play the clock, play the opponent, and just keep doing what got you that lead in the first place, and have that that's a great one. That's win the third quarter. Win the third quarter, because we you know, that's just win. Win the third quarter because they've had way too many leads at the half that end up leading to losses. So go out there, win the third quarter. It's great, it's a great one.
Speaker 3: I think we've exhausted this thing.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I'm excited for this season. I'm always excited to doing this podcast with you. We'll have you covered next week recapping this game and looking forward to Tennessee. But in the meantime, I got a quick plug Chris before you before you lock it out, I forgot.
Speaker 1: So we're posting this on Thursday. Lorenzo O'Neil and I the great charger fullback that blew open all those holes for Ladanian Tomlinson. We will be on Bally's West. I believe moving forward, it's on tonight at Thursday night. That the time they move because a lot of it will depend on Angels baseball and live events and things like that that might be on Ballely, but I believe it's right around ten pm. We're going to do a half hour every week and it'll replay through the course of the weekend going into the game, but half hours believe Chargers with Lorenzo O'Neil This week, Brandon Staley gonna join us, so you get the head coach talking a little bit of ball on Valley's West there, so if you have time, be sure to check that out.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we get lo o' neil on this podcast throughout the course of the season.
Speaker 1: Hey, he mentioned he wanted to, so for sure be great to have him moving forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no doubt. All right, guys, for money, I'm Chris. This has been Chargers Weekly. Enjoyed the game on Sunday