Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: September Night two ten, Comedy Central's Worldviews headquarters in New York.
Speaker 3: This is The Daily Show with Johnstown. Welcome to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: My name is John Show.
Speaker 3: We got a good show for you tonight.
Speaker 1: Tonight's program hand crafted lovingly using only the finest tops in purest spring water. My guest tonight political pondit Megan McCain, daughter of the Senator of the same name, Megan McCain. Very few people know that about the senator. If the pattern holds true with the family, she will return to this program twelve more times and then never speak to me again. But speaking of that kind, speaking of politics, by the way, hit.
Speaker 3: Me, are you ready for the mean.
Speaker 1: Wow, worst Tank Williams Junior impression ever? Midterms are upon us once more. But before we discuss the midtim elections, I wanted to remind you guys of this person I once knew is idealistic, young politician with big dreams of how the world work.
Speaker 5: There is not a liberal America and a conservative America. There is the United States of America. We are going to do everything that we can to work with all of you, Democrat and Republican the step back for a moment, remind ourselves that we have things in common. Family, friends, laughter.
Speaker 1: H.
Speaker 3: Peristalsis.
Speaker 1: We're all astounded by water, fire, air, and dirt magnets. How do they work?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: Insane compasse fans? All right? Anyway, that nice young man went on to become President of the United States of America and finally had an opportunity to bridge the deep partisan divide that had paralyzed our nation's government. How'd that go for him?
Speaker 5: The easiest thing for the other side to do is to ride this fear and anger all the way to election day. Most of the Republicans in Congress have said no to just about every policy I propose as taking office. No to infrastructure. There were no new policies from mister Bainer. There were no new ideas. Politics pure and simple. I fail they win.
Speaker 1: That may be as close as any president in the United States has ever come to saying stall y'all.
Speaker 3: But hey, hey, but wait.
Speaker 1: At least at least we all still have laughter, as in, oh my god, remember that guy that believed that we would work with him? So the President out on the campaign trail making his case that you should vote for Democrats because A that'll keep that sweet sweet stimulus coming, and B it turns out the Republicans are kind of had to deal with. Clearly, this man is in mid season, midterm election form. Of course, he's just one man in a gymnasium in Ohio. It's not a matter of what he says as much as what we're told that he says. With the cable networks be able to shake off their summer of the killer mosque cobwebs and dive in Fox today, like the policies he's advocating looked like desperation.
Speaker 6: Bottom line, this was the president in campaign mode.
Speaker 1: He blamed Bush, he blamed the GOP, He blamed Bayner the president.
Speaker 3: It was a class warrior today, class wolf. It was back.
Speaker 5: It wasn't what I think Ohio wanted.
Speaker 7: Is the president's message too little too late?
Speaker 3: I think it was too much too early.
Speaker 1: You know, Bravo, bravo, you had me at He sucks. Clearly, MSNBC is gonna have their work cut out for them.
Speaker 4: Let's start with the President's speech and a hi today, what I humdinger at Wise.
Speaker 3: He wooked to use his phrase fired up.
Speaker 1: His rhetoric can be incredibly compelling.
Speaker 3: He understands how to draw the narrative.
Speaker 1: I think he got his voice back, speaking with passion and empathy.
Speaker 7: This was definitely the best speech of gotten from him since he's been in the White House.
Speaker 3: Ballock, I mean that was he was absolutely fun. I can only wait to see.
Speaker 1: What Jamie looked heard us, and the lead singer of Right said Fred blog about it on my website. I don't believe I'm even here. We're there. No, I don't know what accent. That was. Of course, praise to be expected from the liberal counterweight.
Speaker 3: But but but.
Speaker 7: But, as you know, one speech does not change the narrative.
Speaker 8: But that that that there is a gap between what the president says and does.
Speaker 3: That's a huge risk for him. What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Do you know nothing of your obligation to shape the news towards your desired electoral goal. There is no butt in journalism. Have you learned nothing from Fox? You pick your narrative and you stick with it. And if the news doesn't fit your narrative.
Speaker 3: Change your news.
Speaker 1: For God's sakes, people, you don't change your narrative.
Speaker 3: Watch how the masters do it now.
Speaker 1: The President did have a rare moment of honesty during his speech, and I hope voters around the country are watching this.
Speaker 5: Taxes are scheduled to go up substantially next year for everybody.
Speaker 4: All Right, that's right.
Speaker 1: I know the anointed One will make sure that that happens.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I can't believe the President of the United States would just blurt out everybody's taxes are going to go up substantially, probably because he wouldn't do that. Here's the slightly less abridged version.
Speaker 5: Under the tax plan passed by the last administration, taxes are scheduled to go up substantially next year for everybody. By the way, this was by design.
Speaker 1: Ce MSNBC amateurs starting clips later and cutting them off before the speaker can finish the thoughts. Full construction can be a useful tool in helping your audience understand what you want them to think. It's a fun and easy way to make people you disagree with say things that make them unelectable. Not that the Republicans need any help making themselves unelectable. This is MINARTI leader John Bayner announcing the Republican's new jobs plan in a moment of candor. We're gonna ship millions of American jobs overseas.
Speaker 3: What why would you? Why would you do that?
Speaker 1: You must really hate the working man. I bet if we play that clip out end with Bayner throwing monkey the American flag. By the way, that's speculation.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying it's a shame we don't have time to actually look at the full clip. So Fox, MSNBC, it's so difficult to watch coverage on these hyper parties and networks. Let's see what CNN's response to the speech was.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Rick Sanchez.
Speaker 2: Guess what moments ago, the Republican minority leader John Bayner sent me a tweet personally.
Speaker 1: Huh, dude, you're newsman, not a thirteen year old girl who just want to meet? Who just want to meet? Justin Bieber radio contest.
Speaker 3: See at Rick Sanchez.
Speaker 1: He sent it to us. Ooh to get that excited about tweets that go directly to you.
Speaker 3: Perhaps I could have.
Speaker 1: My audience send some Rick Sanchez tweets. Care of send a tweet a tweet. Oh that's not fair, Rick, I'm kidding. Obviously you're not just in total meathead.
Speaker 2: By the way, I said, the president was in Columbus. He was actually closer to Cleveland.
Speaker 7: Today.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking Columbus because I'm all fired up about that University of Miami Ohio state game that's coming up this Weeken Sanchez.
Speaker 3: Like football.
Speaker 1: Football always on Sanchez of mine sech As. Yesterday I referred to Hillary Clinton as Frank Tarkington hypogize. We'll be right back.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: We hear a lot of stories about discrimination in this country, but none more painful than the one Wyatts andac found right here in our own backyard.
Speaker 6: With Atlanta Kagan's recent confirmation, the highest court in the land is now lacking just one thing.
Speaker 1: Only the borough of Staten Island has failed to produce a Supreme Court justice.
Speaker 6: Yes, every other borough in New York City has provided a Supreme Court justice. Yet president after president continue to overlook Staten Island State Assemblyman Matthew tatone.
Speaker 8: We do get a little bit of mift that we are discounted. We happen to have a lot of great things going on here.
Speaker 6: Talk to me about some of those great things.
Speaker 8: Staten Island is immensely diverse. Staten Island often is thought of being an exclusively Italian American.
Speaker 1: Having the guidos.
Speaker 8: But we also have the largest Liberian population outside of Liberia.
Speaker 6: No offense, but it's Liberia.
Speaker 8: Well, clearly, people coming from a civil war torn country prefer to be on Staten Island than Liberia, kind of.
Speaker 6: Like saying, oh, do you want to get punched in the face with punching the balls? And there's no reason I couldn't find the next Supreme Court justice here. I just needed to follow a simple blueprint.
Speaker 5: An independent mind, a record of excellence and integrity, a fierce dedication to the rule of law.
Speaker 6: So I scoured the borough to find the most qualified candidates.
Speaker 1: As far as the laws are concerned. Here on Staten Island, we need them to be as hot assed as they possibly can.
Speaker 6: So it sounds like you're a constructionist when it comes to the Constitution.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't use maybe that word a.
Speaker 6: Hard ass when it comes to the Constitution, all right, an effective justice should have the wisdom of Oliver Wendell Holmes, the compassion of Harry Blackman, or the intangibles of part time DJ Charlie B.
Speaker 3: I think I would be a slamming judge because you know what I've been through so much. You know, you really need to have credibility.
Speaker 1: Before you could give a judgement.
Speaker 6: And of course the justice also needs the proper training to rule effectively. It seems like judging people is a part of your job.
Speaker 7: I mean, when you're working in the bar, you gotta keep an eye on everybody. You gotta see who's a few two men, who's rubbing up on the chicks? You know, stuff like that.
Speaker 6: You don't want to worry, right, No, I believe Justice Alito said the same thing in the case of Citizens United versus the FECI. The candidates had a lot of promise, but how would they do in real working conditions? We put them to the test in moot court, I mean moot court.
Speaker 1: Moot court and now arguments on the constitutionality of California's proposition aid outlawing gay marriage. The case is already in progress.
Speaker 6: We already learned that racial restrictions in marriage were outlawed with Loving verus Virginia in nineteen sixty seven. The same laws and rules apply today, your honors, Then they heard from the defense.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mister Chief Justice, may please the court. Marriage is fundamental to the existence and survival.
Speaker 6: Where did you get the accent from.
Speaker 4: This is the accurate way the words should sound.
Speaker 6: You're telling me how something should sound.
Speaker 4: Please try and find my accent less amusing and more authoritative. Now, basically, what I'm saying to the court is that Prop eight must stand and that same sex marriage must not be legalized. I thank the court.
Speaker 6: Our cameras were given an unprecedented glimpse into the normally closed judge's chamber.
Speaker 7: Makes your question, if your brother was gay and he kes you to be his best man, what would you say?
Speaker 1: No, I believe, I believe it, and I kick him in the year, still upset.
Speaker 6: There were hours of thoughtful discussion.
Speaker 7: This pizza has no pepperoni on it? Where's the protein content?
Speaker 6: And the thorough examination of legal precedents?
Speaker 1: Why don't we keep it like the Armed Services? What is it?
Speaker 3: Notel no ce no see, no talent tel There you go?
Speaker 6: Yes, Ago, if you were black and you wanted to marry a white you couldn't.
Speaker 1: That's a whole other issue. I don't think of white is the politically correct time? Listen, when the full Fathers made the Constitution. You think they know about the Internet, You think they think we'd be in space?
Speaker 3: We got to keep it moving man.
Speaker 6: These justices may be more reasonable than the Roberts led Supreme Court. Finally, it was time to hear their ruling.
Speaker 7: Beard Wig, let's go up. Of course, reached a decision. Dude wants to marry a dude. That's cool to chicks want to get it on.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 7: We ruled five to four that proposition eight is substantially unconstitutional.
Speaker 4: Oh come on, that's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Oh oh shut up?
Speaker 4: Whoa where did that come from?
Speaker 1: Came from his mouth? Jakov?
Speaker 6: Perhaps the next justice is here.
Speaker 4: You are liberal activists governing.
Speaker 7: From the bank right here, Liman, what's a journey?
Speaker 6: Rest assured aging justices? If you decide to retire, Staten Island's got your back, Why.
Speaker 1: At snach o'ver right back?
Speaker 3: Hold back my guest tonight.
Speaker 1: The daughter of Senator John McCain, has written a weekly column for The Daily Beast, and her new book is called Dirty Sexy Politics. Please welcome to the programs, Megan McCain.
Speaker 3: Nice to see you, Thank you, How are you? How are you?
Speaker 1: I'm very welcome you see in Times Squared enough?
Speaker 3: How's your has your dad is good? He's good?
Speaker 1: Did you ever did you ever mention me.
Speaker 8: He was very surprised you book me for the show?
Speaker 1: Can you can you give him this note? Would you? Would you give that to me? Joanna? I want to read it.
Speaker 9: I miss you so much, baby, Please, I promise things will be different John. I'll give it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: You want to smell it.
Speaker 3: It's ex body spray.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you smissing smissing so much.
Speaker 3: When was the last time he was on the show.
Speaker 1: It was like two thousand and seven, and then suddenly he got nominated for president and then he thought, I don't like John Stewart anymore. I don't know somewhere around there, but he chances are he wants to. It just hasn't been had to.
Speaker 3: Fit it in.
Speaker 9: I'll put in a good word.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: This is the book Dirty Sexy Politics. And that's you on an elephant.
Speaker 9: Yes, I actually did that too, elephant. It's not photoshopped. I spent a whole day riding an elephant, so it sounds a little weird.
Speaker 3: I don't think they would let you do that. Isn't that a somewhat dangerous?
Speaker 1: Elephants are notoriously unpredictable. That's chimps.
Speaker 8: That was great Pete's a little pissed.
Speaker 1: But whatever, Pete is angry about this. Yeah, apparently do they think the elephant should get to eat you? Like?
Speaker 3: Why is what?
Speaker 1: What are you doing to this elephant that is in any way would run a foul of a I don't know, but they really were.
Speaker 5: They're mad at a lot of times.
Speaker 1: And then afterwards it appears that you and the elephant have reconciled. The elephant the elephant. This is you know what's nice about this book because I did not know what to expect. You know, I've read your comms and such, and I know you're you're staking out kind of this idea of a more inclusive Republican party. But what I liked about this was it's a view of the campaign trail. That's that's very personal. There's almost I felt like I was reading someone's diary.
Speaker 9: I know, I basically wrote a very real book and it's very sad, and I talk about everything. It's called dirty Sexy politics, talk about sex and politics and everything in between, and what I think about Sarah Palin, which has gotten quite a bit of coverage.
Speaker 1: Not as much with the title I thought there would be more. Quite frankly, sex it.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of dirty not as much SEXI as I thought.
Speaker 9: There was a bit the whole time because I was like John McCain's daughter, and everyone was too scared to even talk to me a little on date meies.
Speaker 1: This is the interesting thing is you talk about becoming kind of a prop and how they made you go to a consultant, and you really forget that that individuals running for office are human beings with families, and you get these asks just ridiculing these people.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I was said to an image because.
Speaker 1: Just every day just relentless showing video clips of them and then saying really just arrogant, angry things. It's well, if I were you people, I'd never want to come on their show ever. Again. They're a little obsessed, No, but it does you know you're also your hard on yourself.
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 9: I was not on my best behavior the whole time. I wasn't always acting like I should. When you're sent to an image consultant and said that you look like a stripper and you talk bad and you're hurting the campaign when you know there's a pregnant team there, it does a little bit to your self esteem and I you know, I understand.
Speaker 1: It is interesting even Palin dominates the narrative, even telling your story and your father's story. She that, you know, the first couple of chapters are really even still about that you were not aware that she was the choice you had been hoping it was. It was Lieberman, Yes, I was.
Speaker 9: And I still love Joe Lieberman. And I found out an hour beforehand, and I literally was a crying and like on stage.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of crying in this book. There's a lot of.
Speaker 1: Crying, not so much crying anymore though you're you're not, oh no.
Speaker 9: And I went through a really you know period where I found myself and I found really what I believe the Republican Party can be.
Speaker 3: And yeah, good luck, I'm a believer.
Speaker 9: I just think that there's a lot of negativity dominating the media, and there's a lot of angry people, and you know, you know, the squeakiest wheel gets the most coverage, I guess. And I'm just trying to give people that feel like they have somehow been neglected by more extremists that you know, you have a home with me, and I'm fighting the good fight, and we.
Speaker 3: Have ten homes with you I think, Kelly, you see what you see?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 3: Right there? I know, God, that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about. I'm the kind of person that should not be allowed to be around you.
Speaker 3: I'm very glad that you wrote this.
Speaker 1: And I thought it was a really interesting way of approaching something that has been written about and overcovering all those things, and I hope it does very well for you.
Speaker 9: Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: And do you think Lieberman sounds like droopy dog when he talks about.
Speaker 3: No dirty sexy politics?
Speaker 1: It's on the books, that's not really You don't ever think he's.
Speaker 3: Megan McKay.
Speaker 6: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever.
Speaker 3: You get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus.
Speaker 3: This has been a Comedy Central podcastow