Speaker 1: Hi, Cawie, wear, are your hands so purplely?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: That's purple?
Speaker 2: Faate, I just vanished the new picture.
Speaker 4: Can I see it?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Hey? So dry and hear this? I call it fancy flying alphabets.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Wow, it's kind of weird weird.
Speaker 5: Welcome to Storytime Bi Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning.
Speaker 4: Join us as we learn about how it feels.
Speaker 5: When someone criticizes your artwork or anything that is important to you. Is it possible to be honest and kind at the same time.
Speaker 4: Join us to find out. In today's episode.
Speaker 2: Lisa, why'd you call my picture weird?
Speaker 1: You will because it is weird? Elements don't fly, Cowie mind? And also why are they purple? Every elephant I've ever seen is gray.
Speaker 2: I like purple. It's my favorite color. Hi cowy Ooh, nice picture. Those ants are so cute ants all yet they are not ants. They're elephants.
Speaker 4: Huh, that's weird. They look like ants to me.
Speaker 2: Ants.
Speaker 3: Jumping Billy says you should add more ants and some airplanes.
Speaker 1: And don't say that to me. None of you understand my art Cowie.
Speaker 5: It sounds like you're feeling upset about the way your friends are talking about your art.
Speaker 1: I am they're being mean. Hey, I'm not being mean. I'm being honest.
Speaker 4: Lisa. It is good to be honest and tell the truth.
Speaker 5: But I think you hurt Collie's feelings when you criticized her artwork.
Speaker 1: Oh but I didn't mean to.
Speaker 4: I don't even know what critter size means.
Speaker 5: Criticize means to say what is wrong with something or someone.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Kelly, I didn't mean to criticize.
Speaker 1: I like your art. I just thought it was an art.
Speaker 2: Thanks Elliott. I guess if I squish up my eyes, they do look a little like ants.
Speaker 5: Billie says he thinks it's fine without the airplanes. He just got excited.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not sorry. Collie asked me what I thought, and I told her, Am, I supposed to lie.
Speaker 5: I don't think you have to lie. Not everyone likes the same kind of art, and that's okay. It's more about the way you say it. Lingo, kids, listeners, can you think of some tips to help Lisa to talk about Cowie's art in a gentle way. You can say one thing you like about it, great idea, like what well.
Speaker 2: I really like the way the elephant trunks tool around the page, Thanks Elliott.
Speaker 5: Billy says, you can ask questions like if you're confused, you're curious about something.
Speaker 1: I guess I could do that.
Speaker 5: And sometimes if you take a breath before you say anything, it gives you a little extra time to think about how it will sound to the person.
Speaker 4: Who made it. Do you want to try again? Lisa?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Callie. Why did you choose to make the elephants purple?
Speaker 2: Well, I just had a feeling in my heart and purple is my favorite color. And also it makes the elephants feel fancy.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's cool.
Speaker 4: Now, I get it.
Speaker 1: Fancy flying elephants cool, But.
Speaker 4: I never thought you could paint them in purple.
Speaker 2: That's what I like about art. I can make it however I want.
Speaker 5: Billy says it would be boring if everyone painted elephants the same way.
Speaker 4: I guess that would be boring.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I would make my elephants and rowboats wearing baseball hats so they don't get souburn of course.
Speaker 1: I love that idea, Elliott. Elephants don't get sunburns.
Speaker 2: Lisa, Oh, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Might actually like to see that picture, Elliott, It sounds.
Speaker 5: Funny, Billy says. Famous artists make things how they want to their imaginations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you're an artist, everyone loves your art work. Artists are all super famous.
Speaker 4: Well that's not exactly true.
Speaker 5: Most artists are not very popular at the beginning, and they don't make a lot of money. They have to really believe in themselves, even if other people don't get it. In fact, some famous artists only became famous.
Speaker 4: After they die, really like ohoh.
Speaker 5: Freeda Callo is a Mexican artist who is now very famous, But when she was alive, she only had one solo show.
Speaker 4: Of her artwork. Now her paintings are in museums all around the world.
Speaker 2: Ali get so mad if no one wanted to see my artwork?
Speaker 1: Yeah, why did she even keep painting?
Speaker 5: Freeda Callo painted because she loved to paint, and because it helped her feel better. She said, I am happy to be alive as long as I can paint.
Speaker 1: Painting makes me happy too. Wow, it's hard to be an artist, it can be. But is it ever okay to say if you.
Speaker 4: Don't like something? Yes?
Speaker 5: I think if someone is asking for your opinion. It's okay to share what you think, but it's important to be gentle in the way you share it, especially if it's something important to that person.
Speaker 4: Maybe we can practice.
Speaker 5: That's a great idea, Billy says, we can practice with his latest creation.
Speaker 4: What is it, Billy?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Oh, it seems to be uh macaroni and cheese sculpture.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's what it is. Billy wants to know if you like it.
Speaker 1: It's very unusual. No, it's discuss hoops.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Hold on, I'm.
Speaker 1: Going to ask a question. How did you decide on that material?
Speaker 4: Bill? He chose macaroni and cheese because he is hungry, like Tommy is rumbling.
Speaker 5: And Billy says, the best part about his sculpture is that you can eat it well. Lingo kids listeners, we talked about something tricky today, the difference between criticizing and giving opinions in a friendly way. We learned that we all like different things, but the way we say it to each other matters. Join us next episode to continue play learning together.