Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Welcome back to another wonderful episode of soft Rep Radio. I am your host, rad and today I have a very special guest. But before I introduce you to I guess you know what time it is. It's time to talk about the merch store. And I have a merch store. It's on softwap dot com. Go check it out. It's got all sorts of different types of things branded with our logo on it, so you can support us. We can keep the fireplace on and we can keep the show going. We also have a book club. It's soft rep dot com Forward Slash book hyphen Club. If you're a new listener, go check that out. If you're a regular listener, I appreciate you for subscribing, and don't forget to hit all those notifications likes, common stand subscribe down below.
Speaker 2: Now, then we got that out of the way.
Speaker 3: I have a Navy seal, former twenty year veteran author of a book coming out called Leadership is Overrated.
Speaker 2: Kyle Bucket. Welcome to the show. Thank you so much for having me. It's a pleasure to be here. Yes, did I hit that Navy seal twenty year mark? Right? Yeah, twenty years in the military. I retired just over twenty years. It's like, you know, you do twenty years a month and a day essentially, right.
Speaker 3: So you're super young looking and super in shape looking and totally you know, good to go.
Speaker 2: It's funny. It's funny, you know. Like I grew up just north of New York City, across the river from West Point Military Academy, and so I was accustomed to, you know, being around the army until one day I'm like seventeen years old and my dad comes home from work and he's like, hey, Kyle, we you love you know, everything around the water. You love being around rivers, lakes, oceans, you name it. And this is the nineties, by the way, right, And there wasn't a lot of information out there, but there was a little book by Dick Mark Chinko that was in existence, but I had never heard of it because all I knew was Chuck Norris, and I wanted and I wanted to be Chuck Norris. That's what I wanted to do, and my dad comes home one night and gives me this book. I'm seventeen, and I stay up till five o'clock in the morning pounding through this book, and I was like, that's what I want to do. I want to be a Navy seal. So fast forward to your young comming. I appreciate it. By the way, I think you.
Speaker 3: Know you got you got the Disney going on. You can work a full day on set and still get away with looking young. You know, to say it, I appreciate it. Thanks brother, no child labor la. I received that. Well, anybody yes, their hair, it's the hair.
Speaker 2: What do you try to say? What are you trying to say about hair?
Speaker 3: I unfollically challenged. Unlike you think opposites a track, my friend, I'll take even so, so I'm you know, I'm seventeen. I fall in love with this concept of being a Navy seal. And so my parents, however, would not sign because you know, if you're seventeen, you need parental consent. So literally, fast forward a couple months later, I'm sitting on the doorstep of the Navy recruiter's office at seven fifty five am. Waiting for them. It's my eighteenth birthday and I'm waiting for them. I'm skipping school, waiting for them to open up the door. And I literally signed the dotted line that morning, my eighteen today, this is what I want to do and then let's go on in, let's go and so, uh, you know I and I never looked back. I mean, I was this is what I wanted to do. That's what I was going to go do, right. But my point is is I was eighteen when I joined. So you recommend do you recommend to somebody who's seventeen years old in the same shoes that you were?
Speaker 2: Thinking? What do I want to be?
Speaker 3: And they read Dick Martinko's book, Marcinko's book, you know, the Seal Teams, And you know, I think that's that's a good, you know, gateway to getting in.
Speaker 2: Well, oh now we're gonna get deep brother. Yeah. So yes and no, and know in the fact that you really and you know, I was an instructor. Later on in my career, I did a couple of hell weeks, as you know, a senior chief, and you know the difference between the guys that make it through and the guys that don't, I believe is the guys that make it through were never truly lying to themselves, right, So and only you know that, only you know if you're really really doing it and you're gonna give everything you've got to make it through, you're gonna put it all on the line and get everything you got, or you're lying to yourself and you're not right and you're gonna give up. So I mean, yes, if you're being honest with yourself, like, hey, I'm gonna do whatever it takes. Because here's the thing. You know, you've had multiple guests on the show, you know across all of the different agencies and groups within SOCOM, and you know all of the courses and what it takes to make it become a you know, within socom. If you're lying to yourself and you're not gonna give it everything it takes, you're gonna quit. And here's what I'm meant to say, is every single one of those guests, I'm sure if you were to ask them, myself included, at some point, something is going to go wrong with your body, right, Like something's going to go wrong with your body. No big conversation that we say right, Like nobody gets through unscathed, right, dude. I had cellulitis in my knee and my temp my body temperature was one hundred and two degrees going into Hell week. And I don't say that to be like, oh, I'm big, bad, tough guy. Oh you're hurt, You're hurt. You're hurt, and every single guy is going to get hurt. Like name the guy you've had on any of your shows that's like, oh, yeah, I've never been hurt.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, right, exactly like Major General Doug, Doug, you know, I like, yeah, no, everybody has got You give your body to the military through the Military Interesting Processor Center. MEPs go there as a recruit and they make you spread them, drop them, pein a cup. They watch you pein a cup, and they literally literally literally watch you pein a cup. Okay, and that dude's job, Okay, staring at you. Second of all, you got to go through that, and then you go into boot camp. And if you can get through boot camp without getting injured and unscathed, which happens all the time, you could get hurt there, right, And then you go from basic to your a T or your Advanced training or your next schooling injuries are all away.
Speaker 2: You can trip on.
Speaker 3: The curb and hit your head, it's not even like doing so, and that you can get hurt. And then you come home and you're like, why am I not the way I was when I went.
Speaker 2: In right right? And I'm not blasting the military. I just want to say that you know, no matter what, if you're lying to yourself and you're not going to push through that pain or that hurt or that moment of depression or anxiety or fear. Funny fact, this is actually pretty funny. I don't think I've ever said this on a pod before, but dude, when I grew up, I was terrified of heights. It's called acrophobia. Like I was terrified of heights. And so when I signed the dotted line that morning my eighteenth birthday, I come home and I was still not I wasn't over heights like I was still scared of heights. I was terrified. I come home and my mom and dad are like, after like the dust settled, and they kicked me out of the house for a couple of days, but we all come back and hug it out and love each other. Like my dad goes, hey, for real, for real, what are you going to do about this height thing? And I was like, what do you mean the thing? I ride all the rides of the roller coaster? What are you talking about? Hype thing? And he's like he's like, hey, remember when you were a young kid. We went down to the USS Intrepid down in New York City and he's like, I couldn't get you outside on the flight deck because you were terrified of heights.
Speaker 3: He's like, I'm that way on a pier. I get losing on a pier with the water around me. You know, it's like you feel like, I don't really I'm gonna get eaten in the water.
Speaker 2: Sorry, It's like I had a good eat get I had a good shark story. Actually we could talk about later, but dude, So my parents are like, what are you gonna do about this height thing? And it goes back to your question, right, like if you're lying to yourself, if I'm lying in myself in that moment, I'm never gonna get past that acrophobia. Like I ain't jumping, I ain't even gonna get past the acrophobia. On the obstacle course in basic you know, training to become a team guy, and so I'll never forget. I'm running the obstacle course for the very first time, and I'm looking up at that cargo net and I'm like, this is gonna suck. I am terrified right now, like this is gonna suck. And the whole time, I'm you know, white knuckle in the thing. My technique's just gone to out the wayside. It's hard save your life, self rescue the whole way up. And like, guys are the fast, guys are just like right past me, and I'm like just taking my time, taking my time. I just watch in my head, I start thinking like about the clock. Now, the clocks just like tick. My time's getting longer and long, and you have to you know, hit a time right sure, But at the end of the day, back to your question, I wasn't lying to myself like I was going to give it everything. I had to make it through. So yes, guys or gals should do that if they're not truly lying in themselves. And no, don't do it, don't waste your time, don't become another statistic. If you're lying to yourself or in need of the navy, that's.
Speaker 3: The statistic that you're talking about, because if you don't make it through your buds, you become if your contract is for you know, the buds recruit and you don't make it, you become pretty much in need of the Navy at that point, and then you're going to have to do the job of the Navy's but you didn't.
Speaker 2: Get to choose in the first place. Yeah, well, I'm forever grateful. On the flip side of that, though, I'm forever grateful for the Navy. I mean, we so quickly forget how our naval power is truly what sets us apart from the rest of the world, and so I'm forever grateful for all those servicemen and women and what they're doing.
Speaker 3: So, oh, torpedo starboard aft forty five degrees, flip the wheel, one beat down bubble. You know what I'm saying. All the Navy. My dad was Navy in Vietnam on a Morse code. He was the guy that had a.
Speaker 2: Marine with a bullet with his name on it where he would sit in the I think they were on a frigate, is what he had called it, a ship and the engine had gone sometime on a frigate myself, Yes.
Speaker 3: His engines died and they were in I think Chinese waters during noam, and they were just like sitting ducks and the Chinese were encroaching on them, and so they were just like drifting, burning everything in a boiler. He said, they were just throwing everything, burning it all because they thought they were going to get boarded and attacked, et cetera. And so the marine was on st to like put one in him because he's the radio guy and he got all of everything. So he told me that and then all of a sudden, whatever faith they had the engines started and it just pushed him into like international waters or something out of the Chinese waters or whatever was going on then and they got away from that situation. But you know, dang dude, just I mean the navy, the water, you know. I talked to another guest who said, rad think about a swim call. You're in the middle of the Mariana Trench. Yeah, and you're just like, okay, let's jump off, and he's like and this ten thousand feet down and he's like, but you're looking around and all you realize is it's just you and water and the ship, and little by little you're drifting from the ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You know they're not going to necessarily start the ship while everyone else is swimming in the water to come pick you up. Yeah, right, and so you kind of have to.
Speaker 3: It's going to maintain, right, I mean, it's right one thing diving in another thing.
Speaker 2: You'd be like, oh, now I'm in the drink, right right. So this is here's an incredible story. Yeah. The year's nineteen forty five. My grandfather, Victor Bucket, is on a ship called the USS Indianapolis and they deliver the atomic bomb to Tinian Island. After they're done, they're sailing back out in a zigzag pattern and they get shot by a Japanese torpedo and within a matter of minutes, the entire ship goes down in flames. I mean within minutes. My grandfather. It was so hot out there in the Indian Island that night that my grandfather decides to not sleep down below because it was so damn hot. So he goes up to near where the captain and the quarters master station is and he literally puts a sheet out on one of the desks and passes out. The ship gets hit. He gets rocked off of a desk comes to realizes what's happening, grabs, you know, and they and then the abandoned ship call goes out over the you know the intercom. Everyone's screaming abandoned ship. But they didn't get the Morse code out to US Navy, right, and so my grand nobody knows. So my grandfather and all the shipmates go running over the side, jumping into the water, grabbing what they could in terms of life preservers. And dude, they're in the water for five nights, six days in the worst US naval history a disaster ever. Ever, It's awful. I mean, hell, think about this. If my grandfather had slept down below, like I wouldn't be on this podcast, right.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: I usually say, you're your lineage. You owe your lineage who fought to fight you to be here, You owe them. And so to your point, you know, they're floating around in those depths, and he had shipmates getting you know, nudged by tiger sharks, eaten by tiger sharks over the It was nuts. It was not dehydration, craz intake from saltwater. They get rescued six days later and they're like, hey, they get they come out of the water and they're like, so, how's the war going, and the rescue crews like, guys, it's it's over. They're like, what are you talking about. Yeah, we dropped the bomb. We dropped that bomb. You guys delivered. It's over. And they're like, if you go back in history and time, literally the day after the cover of New York Times, the cover and the first eighteen pages are about you know, obviously the bomb, right, And on page eighteen in a little section about this, it says USS Indianapolis lost at sea, unknown location, so like no one knew about it for years until like the movie Jaws came out out. You remember the movie Jaws when they're in there that at night and he's talking about the USS Indianapolis, Like that kind of resurrected some notoriety to the whole story again.
Speaker 3: Brought it back to So Spielberg brought that into the movie, Yeah, because he had that affinity for World War two, right, like saying private rioting and you know he just loves that kind of thing. So interesting. Yeah, crazy, Well, that's that's a huge piece of story to be attached to. And then now Grandpa was navy m HM was dad Navy or are we actually let me see if I could do this real quick. This is kind of cool. Right there, I got.
Speaker 2: A let me see, I got a rack.
Speaker 4: But right there the victory metal, my Grandpa's purple Heart and then their eight Battlestar Asia Pacific operations, and then they have a presidential citation as well.
Speaker 2: And that is that a dollar bill or a two dollar bill up there? It's a two dollars bill that he had in his pocket for the entire week, bro in the ocean with him and everything the whole time. Yeah, two dollars if I want my two dollars pro So that'd be a tattoo still to this day. Like I'll usually I don't know if I've got one on me, but I've got one somewhere in and like I love throwing that down to the bar. From time to time. You can go to like a bank and like be like, hey, I want I want one hundred dollars and two dollars bills, and they'll be like, just come back on Thursday, Well have it ready for you. Exactly.
Speaker 3: I give kids change at my Airsoft store in two dollars bills. I'll be like, here you go. And they look at me. They're like, I'm like, like, what is this? What is this two dollars bill? You know, it's all one thing. It's two dollars. It's one bill, is it what? So it's fun to do that. And same with like fifty cent pieces, because growing up we had them all the time. So I was just like, here you go, nineteen seventy two, fifty cent piece, So like nineteen seventy two.
Speaker 2: I was born in two thousand and six, how many years is That's awesome? That's great.
Speaker 3: So a lot of what I hear is perseverance from your family's lineage, which you know, kind of puts you in that same exact spectrum of extreme athlete, decisive decisions at critical moments. You're an instructor for Hell Week, which is what everybody they made movies g I Jane other movies have had. It's all focused on Hell Week for the most of Navy seal's job. They don't talk about you know this, I don't know. It's just always Hell Week, you know, like the worst of it all, like Foho's going to carry the boats?
Speaker 2: Sure, full full disclosure. I did it as a guest instructor on my last year of service because I had never done it. I was actually running, so I was like the old guy in the back that the young guys didn't really want to see or hear or listen to, and.
Speaker 3: Wasn't having anybody like point them out, like you you, I'm talking to you.
Speaker 2: You're like, why why are you talking to me? Man? I'm Sandy and sandy and wet. That's what you want, right, You want me to use sandy and wet. Yeah, you told me to do this. Yeah, And I haven't seen you instructor, Senior Chief Bucket, whatever your name is ever before. So because I was actually running advanced training. So that's where we have the sniper course, the communication courses, our free fall course are and twenty two other or twenty two total courses where we run all of our advanced training. So I was down there, which is also under Center Naval, a special Warfare center. But so you can go and guest instruct from time to time. Why not during how we Yeah, which is pretty I mean you would not want to do that? Who wouldn't want to do that? You know?
Speaker 3: I mean like when I was a basic, I was like, I want to be an instructor one day, I want to put my knowledge into somebody, you know, and like that's awesome.
Speaker 2: They walk around, they're the boss who.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't want to fail that little bit of a power, you know. But the thing about a Navy seal that I've learned and I've talked with a lot of you guys, as you mentioned, and it didn't really dawn on me until you said, rad You've talked to all sorts of these different folks, right, and it's like, you know, just upgrade to downgrade, like learn to educate yourself, to upgrade yourself, be that sharp tool that you need to be and have all of your Swiss Army Knight functions available if you're going to be a multi tool of knowledge and just be ready to just move forward. I guess leadership is how, you know, growing your knowledge is so smart, right, There's so much physical that you can put your body through, but that mental toughness is really a big part of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well said, well said. And you know it's kind of interesting now, you know, now that I'm retired and I get asked a lot from you know, some of the companies that I work with or work for or invest in et cetera. Is this concept of, hey, I want my team to be elite like the Navy Seals. And to your point, I kind of joke like, hey, are you going to invest ten years of training into developing that Seals team to be an elite sales team or whatever, an engineering team, et cetera, et cetera, because you can't just throw that out there right like, we don't go out and go, hey, we're going to hire a Navy Seal. We grow them, and everyone's so quick to forget that. I mean it takes three years. I mean three years to really create if you include you know, me walking off the street or someone like a kid walking off the street signing up. And then they go to boot camp, Then they go to the you know, the in doc period. Then they go to buds, Then they go to qualification training. Then they go to their platoon at a team, and they get in the back of the train and they go through an entire workup period that lasts another six to nine months with a six month professional development cycle on it. Dude, you're at three years and then guess what happens is I'm sure all your guests have already said, you get overseas, you're that brand new guy and you don't really know anything. You're still learning. I mean, it takes time. It takes time to develop someone into you know, that fierce warrior, a tactician. It's you know, three years plus before you're on it's really like three years before you're really on your very first mission. That's a lot of time.
Speaker 3: And you're still like the FNG, right, because guys have already gone through what you're doing. They've already spun up on a hot you know, deployment on your time. Yeah, and now it's your you're coming in because Bill retired right right, and they all love Bill, and now you're Bill. You're the Bill's replacement and you're not Bill, so I'm Kyle.
Speaker 2: Right. They're like they're like, okay, hi, Kyle, come on in. What are we going to name the new guy? And then it starts You're spot on you Yeah, and uh, when did you think you know you're gonna was it when you were in the military you wanted to like maybe put knowledge to paper and write something or or or give those leadership thoughts, you know obviously, and also were you enlisted or officer. I was an e dog dirty dog. Enlisted.
Speaker 3: So let's listen to the leadership of an enlisted dirty dog. Okay, e dog, dirty dog. That's what I'm saying. Listen, right, tactical leader, sure, sure, yeah right? And your job on a team. So, for example, my father was an eighteen echo, which is a communications expert on a special forces routine. What would your job have been on the seal team?
Speaker 2: Kind of like a fox trot echo to a degree, it's a little different. But you know, my job early in my early career was a breacher, and then it turned into navigator, and then it turned into targeting and intelligence and collection, and then I mean, I was blessed. I had a wonderful career. And I haven't said that yet, but like, I was so blessed, man rad I had a wonderful career, and very early on, as I look back, very early on, I got placed in positions of leadership. I think I was at my trying to do the math right now my head, I think it was at like the seven I haven't really thought about. The thing was like at the seven year mark, seven year mark, where I first, you know, had a leading petty officer position and before that ran departments but you know seven years in six seven years in I'm in leadership roles, and then for the rest of my career, right, And so to answer you fast forward. You know, in two thousand and eleven, the Obama administration had tasked US with supporting operations in OEF Afghanistan with unconventional warfare, and so that's basically working buy through and with you know, the local population to establish democracy in the region. Right. And so I was a resident expert in the in the thought process because of my previous couple of years and what I was focused on in Afghanistan and in Southeast Asia. So anyway, I get tasked with this and I step into a platoon that two weeks prior before I come walking in the doors. Two weeks prior to this, they had lost Captain America fierce Warrior Brandon Looney, a rock star, a stud that everyone just revered and loved and looked up to. He was a phenomenal officer and leader that everyone just could not wait for him to have his shot at being, you know, a platoon commander and being in his platoon like the boys loved him, and rightfully, so he deserved all of it. And so he gets shot down two weeks before this what I'm telling you about in Afghanistan, right at the end of their deployment, right, so here comes So now fast forward a couple weeks later. The guys are still mourning their best buddy, their hero. They're rock Star and their fierce warriors, coming off of a very kinetic and dynamic deployment in Afghanistan. And then I walk, Hey, guys, nice to meet you all. So I know some of you a little bit. Uh, hey remember where you just were. Uh, We're gonna work buy through. We're gonna go back there the people that just killed your friend. We're gonna work buy through and with them. We're gonna help them develop infrastructure, maybe even some irrigation, wells, roads, you know, help a security force, a police force. We're gonna be eating with them, sleeping with them, trying to establish democracy in the region, you know, the people that just killed your best friend. And so in that moment, I'm like, you know, in the in the you know, months of time at leading up leading up into our getting ready to go, I'm thinking, like, how do I change this vibe, this culture of this dynamic to go and then change a culture a vibe, a dynamic in a foreign nation, right, Like, that's what we're going to try and do is impact and change and shift a thought process a culture. I was like, but first I got to just do that within our own group, Like how do I do this? Like? How do I do this? And you know, God shined on me, gave me incredible support, gave me an incredible team of self led leaders, and I just started pulling stuff off the shelves of libraries, like, hey, what can I do on organizational culture? Like there there wasn't a lot on the subject. It's become kind of a hot topic nowadays, but there wasn't a lot back then on like how do you change mold shift define a culture of an organization, a culture of a team into what you want it to be. And so back twenty eleven, twenty twelve, I got really fascinated with that idea and it kind of continued on till present day of paying attention to how groups do that, like how groups define what they want their culture to be, refine it, then implement it and build it, structure it out, and then most you know, once you've done all that, how do we sustain it? How do we scale it, and I got very fascinated with with that idea of like, hey, you can do this if you're intentional. If you're intentional, you can do this. So that was kind of, sorry, a long winded way of answering your question. It Yeah, no, I wanted that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's great, and I think that our listener also enjoys that long winded wrap around because you brought it home. And so the book that you have now, which is leadership, is overrated. You know, I do have a question. I just want to through act you do you think that leadership from the top down or you know, removing that leader from the top changes leadership and what they've already implemented into the to the subordinates. You know, so is it really just like can we just change a president, can we just change the CEO and change the culture from that person or does it take the whole team to realize the culture shift?
Speaker 2: Great question, great question, Yes and no, right, like, yes, we can do it if we're intentional, and it's going to fail because here's the thing, right, like, everyone's got a default culture no matter if you design and build it, improve it, sustain it, and it's great or it's bad and it's horrific. Like, no matter what, we've all have it, we have a default. So it's a matter of hey, what are you gonna do? How are you going to support and improve it? So to answer more specifically on the thought of a leader, yes, you have to have a leader. You have to have someone. And that's what we talk about in our book is giving that leader the principles to do what we're what we're saying like, hey, you can now create and empower and entrust your teams to go out and crush it. And here's another here's why. Right, And I think and I applaud the Seal teams. We do such a great job at what I'm about to say of the I wanted to name fun fact, fun little side fact. You'll appreciate this, right, I wanted to name the book kill the Leader. And then so we're going back. We're going back and forth with HarperCollins, who's our publisher. Well, they're like, well, I don't know, this might be aggressive. We get it, we get it, it might be aggressive, dude, no joke. We're going back. I literally have like an email thread somewhere and we're going back and January sixth, happens, Oh, and the capital gets stormed. They're like, and like immediately the very next day they're like, Kyle, we uh yeah, we're going with backup title. Oh yeah, we can't do that.
Speaker 3: It's too much, too close, too close, too too real, too real.
Speaker 2: Yes, but what I meant by kill the leader, and what we talk about in our book is the Navy Seals do an incredible training scenario. Right we're running out at a house or in a you know, an urbanized combat situation or training scenario, and we will walk up to the platoon leader, the troop chief, the platoon commander, et cetera, and we'll just whisper in his ear and like, hey, dude, you just took a gunshot round to the chest or to the head. You're down, you're out. You're not allowed to say anything, or sometimes you are allowed to say something, but you can communicate to your guys. And sometimes will be like, hey, you're completely down. And then he'll put his you know, he'll save his weapon, lay down, and then we'll tell, you know, the guy next to him, like hey, this is what just happened. He can't talk, so he can't talk back to you, and in that moment, something very unique happens. Right, the platoon gets to see as the next guy steps up into his place and takes over and assumes command or assumes tactical lead or whatever it might be. The whole platoon gets to see like, hey, does Johnny step up and take over? Does he rise to that occasion? Simultaneously, what's also very important is the tac leader. The commander gets to see, like, hey, how well, how good of a job have I been doing mentoring my number two? Have I been really encouraging and empowering him and mentoring him? Or have I been just running the show, not just keeping everything close hold Brice bowling everything and not allowing him to ever step up into a leadership role, never being self led it And then everyone else gets to see it, right, so the whole platoon sees it, and after later on having beers or whatever, we all tease each other. But at the same time, simultaneously you also get to see, Hey, this guy's ready, this individual is ready, or let's tweak some stuff, or he's ready. Okay, great now, if he's ready, we can worry on. We can start focusing on the number three guy and start bringing take him out, and.
Speaker 3: Let's see what number three can do without that guy. And what a great ladder system if you will, of like, you know, teaching how to lead. I completely agree. Even in my own personal business, I have a number two and there's a business partner, and then there's a Mitch.
Speaker 2: He runs the shop. Mitch shout out to Mitch.
Speaker 3: I have to and I'm giving him credit because he has a credit card for us.
Speaker 2: You know, we gave him that card. It's like you have to let go of some of the rains, you know, so that you can grow and continue to grow your business. Because I can't do everything. I can't keep.
Speaker 3: Getting concessions at Costco because I have to go do something else at the bank, you know. So so Mitch helps out, and so Mitch can take off that. But the trust comes. Here's the here's the card, here's the card. You are the operations manager. And he hits me up and he talks to me maybe how I sometimes should.
Speaker 2: Hear it right right, you know, like.
Speaker 3: Like a platoon sergeant coming up to you, like, hey, you know, the men think that maybe pizza would be good on Friday.
Speaker 2: On Friday, why don't you just tell me just tell me. You know.
Speaker 3: But we have a very good open relationship at our company. Everybody feels like they are I call them all managers. You're like all your own managers here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know.
Speaker 3: If someone call that says where's Rad? Say what can I do for you? I'm like, really, Rad here, what's up? And they're like, oh, I just wanted to find out about this item. Well, how can I help you?
Speaker 2: Take the call? Yeah that's great, man, I love it. And so to the email. Just get it done, close the deal, come to an agreement with whoever. Right, right, you're empowering and and trusting them to be self flet which is what we what we hammer on in the book is like, hey, you've been given this opportunity of leadership. We're I mean you and I. We live in America, right, we were born I was born here. I think you were right, Like.
Speaker 3: We're yeah, I am, I am, Yes, we're blessed to be born in America as American.
Speaker 2: I don't have to go through a citizenship test. I would probably fail it. Right, we're so blessed. Right, we're so blessed. I just get to have this title.
Speaker 3: Okay, And some people coming over here are dying to get here, literally don't and they just die on our shorelines or they make it here and then they have to go through testing and are you do you know everything about being an American? And it's like, man, ask somebody else what the fourteenth Amendment is or the seventh Amendment that you know, totes of the American shirt flag?
Speaker 2: You know, what is it? What's the third Ement? What? Right? Right? You know? Right? I mean, we're so blessed and to have that ability to lead just you know, and then not empower and entrust those that you've been given the gift of leadership. It's just like, come on.
Speaker 3: I also tell my team I don't want to lose them as staff, but I tell them, you know, I hope I'm a stepping platform for your success to your future, and if that's with me, so be it. But if you go off and become some awesome editor on a movie or whatever your dream is at NASA, you know you can always look back and say, rag, got us pizza on Fridays. I'm gonna do that for my team. Awesome, you know that kind of thing. Feed your troops the full belly, the fight, dude, fight, fight, some energy, get them some protein.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I even get them some of the name brand chicken stuff that's out there. It may not just be pizza. My team knows what's up. Nice. I'm in Texas. I've been here for a little over two years. And one of the first things that I did once we moved here was me and my brother split a cow. I didn't grow up really in an ag war, right right, you know, just north of Manhattan. You know, you're not really just growing up just north of Manhattan. You're not like splitting cows with your friends growing up, So like it was always on my bucket list. And then you know, living in you know, San Diego, you know at the seal teams, it's not like you're really doing that. So it was once I got to Texas, I was like, one of the first things I do, and I did, and man, I'll tell you what that protein is insane in Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Fun side fact, no, I've seen I've seen those big steer. I did security at a show in Colorado called the Michael Martin Murphy Stravaganza. He's a country singer and he had these old guys riders in the sky playing and all these different So I was security and the first day is a three day event, and my boss goes, hey, rad, I need to go guard this cow over here with this vendor because you know, we want to make sure no one gets close to it. And the show's going on way over there. But I'm over here, stuck in no man's land guarding a steer, and all the people would walk by and be like, what's up with the steer? And I'm like, oh, these people are selling it if you want to buy it, or it's brother and have it made into this hamburger that they're feeding me. So like, hey, you're gonna be doing security here, We're gonna feed you.
Speaker 2: And I was like, oh my gosh, dude.
Speaker 3: And I mean like seriously, I'm sitting there eating this burger in front of the cow, in front of this longhorn. I was like, so, was this your brother or your sister? Today I've stared away from red meat. I just want to be clear. That was a while ago, twenty and one, nineteen ninety nine. These days, I haven't eaten any mammals.
Speaker 2: I just want to be open about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I'm a mammalarian, so interesting, Yeah, I kind of moved away.
Speaker 2: So what year did you transition?
Speaker 3: Oh ninety nine, two thousand. So I got out of the Air Force with a I met from red meat. Oh red meat fourteen fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Wow? Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: So my dad started to like really go downhill on his health and his heart. And he was eating all sorts of like pastrami and like you know, hamburger and pastrami, and it was just like cholesterol and just I just was and then he died. But he was a Green Beret and he never smoked or drank and did all these exercises and marathons.
Speaker 2: But just ate not healthily.
Speaker 3: I just drank tons of like poisoned water, which is what I call soda. You know, this is this is water in here. Anybody that drinks and you can drink it, but it's like how much sugar you're drinking. That's all I'm saying that, Honey, you hear that?
Speaker 2: Mom? Yeah, I give everyone so much gruff about you know, diet coke and coke.
Speaker 3: Oh I think it killed my dad. Yeah, saying come at me, die coke. Go ahead, don't just shut this podcast.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you. I think taequila is healthier good. Yeah, I made based tequila is healthier than coke comes.
Speaker 3: From the earth at least, I mean coke is like the stuff we're talking about. These diet fad drinks that are out there are just addiction fuel for I don't know, it's not good for you. When my dad was put into a home facility where they were watching him at this nice place, he had to open our surgery and they closed him up and they said we're gonna put him in here for three or four weeks. He went from not drinking any soda to like it was on tap. They're like, do you want another, you know, metered thirty two ounce mug of diet coke from the fountain jack, And he's like, yeah, I do. As a matter of fact, I'm in the hospital and you're giving me this right. He just sucking it down, and just I was like, man, you know, he tried to do a lot of the healthy stuff. So when I transitioned from you know, eating red meat and animal to so I still eat eggs and I still eat non mammals.
Speaker 2: So I don't want to eat you. I don't want to eat a pig. I don't want to eat a cow. I don't want to eat a bear or a polar bear, but if I had to, I probably would. Right.
Speaker 3: So, if I'm in the middle of Alaska and the lifestyle is of the land, then I'm okay with it because I'm going to treat it the same way that they would treat it, which is I would leave the remnants where I hunted it to move.
Speaker 2: On its journey. Yeah. Fair, fair, fair, you know, but.
Speaker 3: I'd still eat it. So that elk is probably gonna be really good. But I still up here want to say, why do I have to eat what is in the grocery store forced to me? Like, you know, I've been to shot show in Las Vegas where they do all the gun industries, and I've seen how deals are made there. I can only imagine there's a food industry, and I can only imagine it's in Vegas, and I can imagine how the deals are done there. So I take those two things, put them together, and I say, why am I buying this specific product right here.
Speaker 2: In front of me?
Speaker 3: You know, when I could have like lettuce and tomatoes and other food other food.
Speaker 2: Processed foods.
Speaker 3: I've really got on this boxing healthy kick lately, and so I've been dedicated to that and just trying to be a better eater of food.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's no. I mean, especially if you're feeling it. I'm assuming you're probably feeling it in your body too, right, Like you're feeling that difference. I know me, I know, I know me. Like when I remove grains, like when I remove you know, grains and pastas and breads from my diet. And I'm heavy protein, minimal nuts or lagoons or even vegetables for the most part, Like I just feel leaner and lighter on my feet, So I get it. Yeah, everyone's kind of different. You know. I had to give up. Here's a different one. I had to give up. Right around my late thirties. I noticed beer. If I had a beer after like four pm, it would rock my world. Just you know Ed.
Speaker 3: Shearon, the great artist of our time. Ed Shearon said. He said, you know, I have lost this weight recently, and it's because I just did one thing and I kicked out the SuDS. So he just he lost thirty five pounds just stopping beer.
Speaker 2: I believe it. He just stopped it, you know.
Speaker 3: And I do like to have a cold beer, you know, especially in nice Utah was ipa shout out. But listen, I drink it and then I go to the gym in the morning and I'm like, I'm just working off that beer I had last.
Speaker 2: Night, right right. So it's like, you know, throwing gloves.
Speaker 3: It's just like, okay, well, I'm trying to get my physique to be more tactical Viking style.
Speaker 2: That's my yeah, that's my goal. Yeah. That's why it's funny, you know, because while you're on deployment, especially in senthcom you know Iraq, Afghanistan specifically, you know, non alcohol policy, no alcohol policy. So I mean it's it's amazing. Everyone's like, oh, we're working out, we'll crushing. Yeah, but you're also not drinking and not consuming alcohol. Will just drop the pounds right off, right, yeah, right away.
Speaker 3: I had a friend who tours in a rock band and he was just always fed everything he ever needs. You know, He's got a piece of paper with like this is what I demanded every show, and it's always in there, and it's all this food, it's all this stuff. And he finally had to change his writer to say, you know, don't put any more beer on my tour for me. He didn't want it, good for it, and then it started drinking like the more clear style stuff, thinking it was less calories, you know, and trying not to drink and trying to like still have that same vibe and hang out like a rock star, but he's working.
Speaker 2: Out at the same time, trying to stay on the road.
Speaker 3: It's like, right at the end of the day, it's just really alcohol is It's a mother brother, Especially when you come from families that do have in your family and you've been around it and it's in you now, it's like, how do you kick it? You can stroke from kicking alcohol. Yeah, yeah, you know, it's such an addiction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get it. There's a lot of cool apps out there. I've been kind of paying attention to these days. There's some really neat resources and apps out there. There's this one that I just came across, so I'll give him a shot out. It's called Sunnyside. No affiliation whatsoever. But it's kind of interesting where you basically have a person a Jane Doe texting you every day saying like, hey, hey, rad, how are you doing. How many drinks have you had? And you're and they'll keep pinging you until you respond and then it'll then at the end of the week, it'll give you like a report, like, hey, here's your report. Like let's set a base. Let's set a base for next week. Let's not try and just go cold turkey, but next week, let's just try and drop it by like two right across the entire day. Yeah, yeah, you know, like try to just you know, it's pretty interesting. So some good resources out there, but you know, yeah, it's a big diet. Diet, baby, it is.
Speaker 3: And now that I'm forty five years old and I've been paying attention to it for like the last few years, my wife's really good at it. We've got some friends that are like dietitians, registered dieting and she's worked for like UCLA and all these other colleges, and she's like, you know, tofu, let me tell you about tofu. She's like straight up protein. She's like, and you just look, put it right down you It'll slip right down your throat. If you're just looking for a.
Speaker 2: Fast protein, you're gonna have to have doctor, do you know. Paul Saladino is no tell me you're gonna have to ever talk to him. He'll go down a die tribe on how tofu is the exact opposite. Oh is that right? Yeah? Yeah, yeah yeah, oh wow. See everybody's just got you know, like, what do you do? I know, I know, I got vaccinated. That's all I can tell you. Kay, I don't care. I'm not gonna go back and forth. No more. I got it.
Speaker 3: I took it right down below. Tell me how I'm dumb, Go ahead, go tell me I'm cool. Look at look at my new Legends boxing shirt. Bro totally Mike Tyson, I remember, I remember what was it?
Speaker 2: What was it? Like? At what point did the Green guy come out?
Speaker 3: So Piston Honda in the game? Number three or four in the line. Yeah yeah, that's like Sandman dude.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: That's maybe I should be in that game now. Bam bam bam. Is there another book coming out? I know you got this one. Are you working on something that's going to be part two to Leadership?
Speaker 2: Well, we got two main efforts that I'm really focused on right now. So our book is just like one or product, one of our products or service or offerings from our group called Culture Force. Culture Force is a consultancy group. I'm not saying we're a Deloitte and two sure a KPMG or an E and Y. But one day we hope to be where we're really focused on helping organizations that have between seventy five and seven hundred and fifty employees really scale and build and refine and improve their culture and then help them, you know, scale it as they scale their services, offerings and products, and so Culture Force right now is got a. It's pretty interesting. It's pretty interesting kind of the indus stretes that have been kind of gravitating towards US. You know, construction is one manufacturing global supply chain and logistics, not a lot of high tech. Although before this call, I just had a conversation with the CEO founder of an AI company and they want to bring us in and help them scale. They have forty five employees right now. They're about to do a Series B you know, bring in eighty million dollars so they can grow and scale their team. So yeah, yeah, so it's pretty interesting. We're kind of all over industries, but you know, those are the main kind of industries we're really helping and working with and helping them grow and scale.
Speaker 3: So it's a lot of fun. So somebody listening right now. And they're a CEO of an organization and we do have them listening all the time. How would they get in contact with your organization to see if you guys were a fit. They could go to Leadership is Overrated dot com, which is also the title of our book UH and you can learn about all of our services, my partner and our offerings. My partners Chris and Tom shout out to you boys. Chris was the head of marketing, the CMO for Dave Ramsey Solutions. He also did Henry Cloud who is the author of Boundaries and John Acuff, amongst others. And then Tom Tom was the president of Colgate Palm Olive when they moved into Europe and established their entire Colgate Palm All's entire European presence. You know the the Baltics as well as you know Eastern Bloc. So so we got a we got a good team, a great wheelhouse as well as Olive has branded me. My whole childhood is like always putting your fingernails in the dish.
Speaker 2: Of the Paul Malive. They're so good. And she's from that team that movie White Christmas.
Speaker 3: She's one of the right she's one of the sisters in White Christmas, and she would all the Paul mall of commercials.
Speaker 2: God, why do I this is in my brain? God, that was one. I'll tell you. My mom was very musical. My mom was very musical, obviously, like you knew this seven eight years old watching White Christmas. Danny K. He's one of my favorite actors. I love Danny K.
Speaker 3: I love that movie actually, because same thing, dude, that was my internet here, let's watch White Christmas four or five times.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever had a conversation with someone in this wheelhouse in your arena, and we've reminisced on Danny K. Danny K my favorite, he really is. I love him in all of his movies, and I've seen like all of his movies. Oh man, that's a blasting past.
Speaker 3: I'm such a great dancer too. I just have to say, you know, yeah, just too. Yeah, we'll get along just fine. You can sleep over. Mom said, it's cool. Yeah, yeah, that's right, just come to the basement.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: It is, it is, it is I and I know that I'm hitting everybody that's listening in the fields because you all seen you know, now you know who Danny k is. And there was a movie called Walter Mitty and Danny k was the original Walter Middy who had the imagination and was always like doing these different like spy things in his life. And that turned into Ben Stiller. And Ben Stiller now does the Walter Midty. He he took over that character where he's like, I think a bunch of pro skaters portrayed well.
Speaker 2: Uh Zoolander. What's his name again? Who was Zulander name? Ben Stiller? Thank you, Ben Stiller? Tangent man, you got me nerding out now, I'm like, oh man, he was, I'm looking at like he did Pinocchio.
Speaker 3: Hans Christian Anderson, bro they were in. He was in Hans Christian Anderson. He did all the different stories of like making the kid and the pie.
Speaker 2: I forgot. I'm gonna have to I'm gonna have to turn I forgot about these because now Hans Christian Anderson, I remember that one too, on the Riviera. That's right. I'm gonna have to watch some of these around the holidays with my kids.
Speaker 3: Danny k now now, whoever's editing this at the end of the day on SOFTWAREP I need to mention of Danny k the great actor in this on the down below when you write everything out. If that's Mark or Anton, I'm giving a shout out to you guys, come on now or Chris, if it's one of you. Three awesome Secret Life Walter Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Now listen. I love talking with you. I think you're a great dude, and I think we could talk a lot more about extreme athlete, mental toughness, leadership in the workplace. We've mentioned how to get a hold of you. We've introduced you to the soft rep community and Kyle, you're awesome and you should pursue acting and just throw that to.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll leave that to the guys. You know you got a.
Speaker 3: Good skull for some face paint, bro. You know, like you know, I'll leave it to Chris Pratt. I think he does a job.
Speaker 2: Bro. I'll tell you what so I'll trust listen and we love you, We appreciate you. Oh Jack, and shout out to Jack car Jack. Just keep writing, man. He's supposed to be on the show. Jack's supposed to be on the show pretty soon. We had him schedule for May, but he had a book tour sure, and so you know he's a busy dude. Lives right here in Salt Lake Park City, right up the street for me. Really, if you will want, Jack get on here. Yeah, really, Jack, what's up?
Speaker 3: Everybody go out there and tag Jack car and say Rat says, what's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me to come the soft Rep now, man, thanks for having me on here. To everyone listening, thanks for listening. If you're still with us, we appreciate you, guys and gals and all that you're doing and all that you probably I'm assuming do for this country. So thank you for the bum my heart that's right and on.
Speaker 3: Behalf of me and our United States Recruiting Command who doesn't pay me anything. If you feel like you want to go and do it, go go and do it.
Speaker 2: Go see what it's like. Go try it. You might just one.
Speaker 3: Foot after the other after the other after the other, and just see what happens on behalf of me and everybody here at soft Rep and a grateful nation. Thank you for your service, Kyle, and to your friends and much success in your business.
Speaker 2: And this is Brad say in peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Self Rep Radio