Speaker 1: Thanks morning. Everybody is Steve j n V.
Speaker 2: Charlamagne the guy. We are to Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in.
Speaker 3: The building, to living legend himself.
Speaker 4: Juicy j Yo, Yo, what's good man?
Speaker 1: What's what's with the mess?
Speaker 3: You're promoting a book, your memoir, Juicy j I got a horror movie. I know, I know you love horror movies, but.
Speaker 4: Dan, hey man, I'm an advocate of mental health awareness. So I just worked as a master, you know, to show people like, you know, hey man, it's a it's a different side. You don't have to do nothing crazy or harm yourself or harm other people. You can always get some help called nine eight eight, any kind of hot line or reach out to an organization to you know, uh, take care of your mental health.
Speaker 5: And with the straight straight jackets, you're not mad at I'm a big mental health advocate too, So if you're doing that to raise mental mental health awareness, I ain't mad at it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna need my assistant. She can take my mask off. That's cool.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's hard to talk to this, Juicy Jason. Halloween came early, you know what I mean? There, there you go, There you go. Come on showing you ain't agent Juicy J.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: There you go, tresh line up, you know me haadline in tact, still thirty years old man saying still thirty years old.
Speaker 4: There we go.
Speaker 5: Thank you has an amazing book out right now called Chronicles of the Juice Man, a memoir.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 5: I got this book a couple of weeks ago, and I was like, I don't even know Juicy J had a book coming out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And from the first from the prologue, it's exciting.
Speaker 4: Thank you man.
Speaker 3: So many questions about the book, but I never knew.
Speaker 5: First things, first that they had flavored cocaine.
Speaker 3: Hey, watermelon cotton cans.
Speaker 1: You want to jump in that before we get watermelon flavor, cocaine with.
Speaker 3: Water would flavor with cocaine. I didn't know they had that.
Speaker 4: It was crazy. When I said, I was just just like, y'all was like, what the fucky put the flavors in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not gonna try it.
Speaker 4: But you know what I'm saying, what made you write the book?
Speaker 1: Let's start there.
Speaker 4: I always want to write a book, you know what I'm saying. I've been doing this for a long time you'll been seeing me. I'm been knowing how happy motherfuckers when y'all was interns and shit. So you know, so it's it's just it's just that time, you know. And it was very difficult when it was doing the book, me and Soorren Baker, he wrote it with me. My mom was she got diagnosed with cancer the time I was writing this book. So it was just like it was. It was very, very very I had a very hard time trying to finish it. But we you know, we broke through. We finished it. You know what I'm saying, Rest in peace and here we are. So I always want to do this, you know, that'd.
Speaker 3: Be the most interesting thing about memoirs.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 5: You know your your life in the industry was great, but it's the stories before the industry. Yeah, that made that made the juicy j that even even more interesting.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, ye what made you?
Speaker 5: What made you want to name you a memoir after the first solo album?
Speaker 4: I mean it talks about it. I mean, it's chronicles, it's my life, you know what I'm saying, telling everything about what's going on. So I mean I just used it. It was perfect, you know what I'm saying, and it matches everything you know from my story and everything, so it's perfect fit. That's I looked at it.
Speaker 2: Was there anything that you had to take out? You know we've been reading, you know a lot of our OG's in this game. I've been writing books from Gez to fat Jo or the recent ones. Was anything that you had to take out because you were so brutally honest in this book?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a few things. Man, it's I'm not gonna say no names, but it was some some you know, I had some people coming to me about killing themself in the book. It's more than likely like three or four people I had put in the book, and then when they read it, it was like, you know, like the lawyers and stuff like, man, you can't put all this stuff in it. And then I talked to some of the people and they didn't want me to do that, so I took it out.
Speaker 5: And you never tried cocaine, No, contrary to popular belief. You know, you never tried cocaine. But you talk about why in the book. Can you touch on that a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was when I was like a kid, I was watching TV and I've seen this basketball player named Lynn Byats that's right. And they said, oh, Lint Bias, he died on cocaine. And I was like, looking at you, like cocaine. I just you know, I didn't know what it was. I was like cocaine. I was like, I ain't never doing cocaine. Like when I seen that, that's stuck in my head. I said, if I feel I just felt like if I did it, I die. And then like soon as right after that, I you know, I would think I could have been I don't know, I could have been thirteen fourteen, And this is the older I got, you know, I started getting approached and myth. It's like I would see people in the street. They'd be like, hey, may want some coke, want this one that? And I was like, first thing came to my mind, like that's that stuff that Lin Bias took. I said, hell no, I ain't taking that ship no matter what ware coming. Yeah, fuck that.
Speaker 5: And you always seem to have like a sense of self awareness about yourself that other people around you didn't seem to have.
Speaker 3: How is that self awareness helped are hurt you in life?
Speaker 4: Uh? You said, help all hurt?
Speaker 3: Yeah, helped all hurt I don't really.
Speaker 4: Think it hurt me. It may I think it kept me to survive. I survived off that I would have. It's weird. I would have these two voices in my head. I had one voice be like, hey, hey, hey do this do that smashed that without the rubb or whatever. And then I have another voice be like, man, no, like you know what I'm saying. You know what happened easy, you know. I'm like I had like real shit. I had these voices in my head telling me like one one is telling me to go, one is telling me, nah, you might don't want to do that because you know this girl might be this, you might get it pregnant then and child support and all, you know, just all kind of crazy shit even just whatever, not just saying just with females, just with it in the street stuff. You know. It's times I you know, I talk about it in the book. I had to strap about to blow somebody ass. Then like one minute, something's telling me the gold and something's like, nah, I man, you might don't want to do that because this person, you know, he might snitch on you. Can you trust this nigga you with? You know what I'm saying, so stuff like that, man, And it's good that that happened like that because I'm here today.
Speaker 5: Because the reason I say the self awareness hurt is because sometimes you might be too critical on yourself.
Speaker 3: I see that throughout the book, like yeah, whether it's about.
Speaker 5: Oh three six music is whack, And I'm like, I don't remember that time, like you know what I mean, like just stuff like that, like you might have been a little too hard on yourself.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm very hard on myself, you know, right, I'm very hard on myself. I didn't say it was whack. I don't think. I think I said that it didn't sound right at the time when we was in LA because we was lost in it, you know, we was lost in the sauce. We didn't. I mean, I felt like when I was in LA for so long, I just you know, I lost my taste of sound and music and what the what the wave was and everything. You know what I'm saying. I'm usually on top of that and never never fell off of that. But when I was in La party and kicking and drinking so much and popping peels, I lost it all. You know, I'm doing music that was I was stuck you know what I mean. You know, like some people move forward. I was I was stuck in like two thousand and five somewhere are two thousand and three. You know what I'm saying. I was stuck in that era. And then when it was two thousand and eight, music was totally different.
Speaker 1: What got you what you got? What you got you out of that that slump.
Speaker 4: I got the hell out of LA and I moved back to Mives, you know what I'm saying. Like immediately I sold my house like I wasna getting fuck out of everybody like you leaving, man, I'm gone, bro, Like, if I stay here, man, I'm gonna be fucked up. I'm gonna kill myself because I was doing so much drugs and Viking and uh shit, after all all kind of shit, bro. Had I had a medicine cabinet full of shit, Like you could have came. I could have prescribed you some shit, bro, because I had so many people, you know, doctors, Like you know what I'm saying. I never get my shit up the street, and I never fuck with that street shit. I always get my shit straight from the doctors, you know what I'm saying. So I had these colored wacky doctors. You know what I'm saying. They would give me all kind of shit. You know what I'm saying, Whatever I want to give me a hundred, two hundred dollars, they'd be like, what you want?
Speaker 5: The funniest part of that story, I mean there's always humor and everything, right, Yeah, so you talk about how the girl you told your girlfriend at the time to come pick you up, yeah, because you might kill yourself. Yeah, and then it's like two sentences later, so I broke up with that girl and I moved.
Speaker 3: Yeah she came to your age.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, for real, she did. You know what I'm saying, I appreciate it, you know, thank you. You know what I'm saying. But I just I was to the point where I just needed I needed to get out. So, you know, I had a lot of stress and a lot of pressure. I was just pressured. But I was stuck, you know what I mean, Like I'm so used to making great music with the group and everything was moving forward and everything was falling apart. So I was like, you know, I was I was really depressed, but I was drinking, crying. It was just like it was I was just hurt. Man you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: People think that because you was having the most success. You know, y'all, I just won the Oscar, Yeah, the MTV show.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, nobody would think you would just depressed. Yeah.
Speaker 4: People when they would see me, they would see me drinking. But I was drinking to escape, you know what I'm saying. I was really trying to get away from the pain I had that was going on with me. You know what I'm saying. Even y'all, y'all probably seen me during that time or you know, just around because we was partying. I mean, I was running everybody. Yeah, I was smiling, drinking, but like, deep down, I was not feeling too good. Man. I was really fucked up, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And I refuse to believe man, that you ever wore two rubbers. I don't know why people be telling that, goddamn like.
Speaker 4: I did. You can't put on two rubbers, but she can't as I did. I don't believe I did.
Speaker 3: I don't believe you. I did believe that. Well, man, that's when did you stop? Then?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: When did you stop?
Speaker 4: I mean when I when I settled down, you know what I'm saying, you know, I said, all right, you know the rubbers. You know, when I settle down with you know one girl. You know what I'm saying. Yeah, I was, I was, I was. I was going crazy, bro, I was two three girls a night. You know what I'm saying. I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But you did this in high school. You wrote this record in high school?
Speaker 4: What was the record of slave? Before sla was another one, Don't be Yeah, Yeah, Don't be Scared put the rub on the head. You know what after Don't Be Well, I had a situation, you know what I'm saying. I was with this chick. Yeah, and then I got you know, sizzled, And then I had wrote this song called Don't Be Scared with the rub on the head for rubber, you know, like safe sex. But it was a hit in the hood because it was walking around in the club. I can say club because I wasn't really going in the clubs like that, but I would see niggas in the street and like people like playing it in their cars. Don't be scared put a rubber on their head. It was just a chance.
Speaker 2: So you would never even scared to talk about the STDs in this book either.
Speaker 1: Nah, fuck it.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, It's real. A lot of motherfuckers. I he didn't get burnt before DJ.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I ain't never fither promise to God, never had grace of God. Now I want you said you been back to Memphis, right? What the Memphis mean to you? You know, recently I did a call show Memphis and I see how much Memphis supports Memphis to talk about why you left Memphis and then why you thought you had to come back because a lot of people say they have to leave Memphis because a lot of times the hood takes them out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had to come back to get my mind right. You know what I'm saying. I just wentn't grounded. I had been in l A too long, you know what I'm saying. It took me over the music. My music would sound different. I was moving different. I was doing a lot of crazy drugs. And so I went straight back to Memphis and I just went back to the hood, out with my niggas and chilled, and you know, I got my vibes back. I understood what you know, My grounds were my roots, you know what I'm saying. And then I was like, all right, We'll cool. I can go anywhere in the world. I never lose my sound again.
Speaker 5: I didn't know you and Project Pat was actually brothers, and I didn't know Paul was Lord infamous uncle.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Does it make it harder easier working with family?
Speaker 4: No? No, No, that's cool. It's everything. You know what I'm saying. I'm glad I worked with my family, man, because my brother is one of the persons that that brought me out of this shit. You know what I'm saying. I was in La. He would come in there, I'd be laid out on some lean. He'd be like, what the fuck y'all doing? Y'all niggas ain't hot. No mold people tell me that. You'll be like, what nigga, what you're saying? You here what I said, y'all ain't hot. I'm in the clubs, nigga. You niggas outre in La high and shit. You know what I'm saying, ain't playing though three six Mafia in the clubs. No more that shit done. It's new niggas out here. Man, y'all be said. May y'all beats on you sound the same? May ain't got no y'all put that hand base on, y'all be said, Man, listen, y'all listen to this bass. Listen, y'all bass. You know he's playing. I think he was playing some drummer boy stuff. You listen to this nigga based Listen to y'all base y'all base eighted. And I was like, you're right. I mean he told the truth. Man, that's what you need. I mean like, I don't need no yes man. I don't like yes man around me. I like niggas tell me if I'm doing something crazy. I would always tell people in the group. Man, look if I one time picked up Lord Defamus, right, I took him to the try to take him to the rehab. He didn't want to do it. We were riding around the neighborhood for almost out and half. I'm trying to get this nigga, bro, you need some help. You need some help. He's like, no, man, I'm cool. And we're talking and I told him, I said, we look, man, look, I'm just looking at you for as a as a friend. Brother. I love you. I don't want nothing to happen to you. And I said, and if you see something I'm doing, please tell me, don't yes man, me, my, nigga, you know what I'm saying. I'm be like, yeah, used to go. You see me doing anything crazy, drugs or with the wrong crazy bitch and you think I'm with a with a you know, some skizer or something. I'm about to get robbed or whatever. You feel that that ain't right? Please tell me. You know what I'm saying. I tell Paul, anybody in my group or anybody around me, like don't don't yes, man me, man, you know what I'm saying. You know, check me, nigga. You see me doing something crazy because I want to live. I want to go to jail or do some stupid shit, you know for this, I maan, I am what's.
Speaker 5: Taught you more about life being in the industry or the life you lived before the injury?
Speaker 4: I said the life I lived before the industry because if I if I didn't go through all the stuff, you know what I'm saying in North Memphis, I wouldn't be where I am today. No facts I was gonna ask.
Speaker 2: You know, there was one time they used to say that that the music that you guys put out was the.
Speaker 1: Monic and that was like that the thing. How bad did that affect y'all.
Speaker 4: Man to me the musical, I mean, I'm a church nigga, man, So I mean I looked at the ship like, you know, like, y'all nigga ain't no devilation. You ain't nobody fucking you know what I'm saying, worship no devil touching a Weiji board or whatever fuck y'all think it is. Nah, I just looked at it like, hey, man, it is what it is. But we I felt like we had to clean the name up. So we changed the name of three six of My Feet because I felt like it just because it was everybody was scared. REGULATED was like, I don't know, man, I don't know. We might want to say, we might don't. So it was, you know what, him man, We changed the name up, and then things started coming together, you know.
Speaker 5: Even saying the book, you know that the three six Mafia thing, the devil worst but thing was was kind of a gimmick.
Speaker 4: That's what I felt, you know what I'm saying. I didn't see nobody works with the devil. So I just looked at it like a gimmick, you know. I didn't look at it like it was really worshman. The devil, you know what I'm saying. But I mean, like, Memphis was a dark city, so it was a dark time. So you know, Triple six MAFI was perfect for that at the time, you know what I'm saying, because mephis is still dark. But it was like just it's crazy and not and back then, but you know that's what I'm saying. I was coming from that, so it was cool. But then like later on, we started making you know, more music, and you know, a couple more I don't think we brought this out. I'll called the end. We had changed everything went from Triple six to three six and it was better, you know, our sound had we stepped that game up on the sound. We had a couple of records on there that was a little bit more radio friendly. Nobody wanted to play I should on radio, so we had a couple of records on that radio friendly. So yeah, man, you know, it's just about growth. You know, I was going to.
Speaker 2: Ask how difficult was that coming up? You know, because the sound was different, it was a sound that we haven't heard before. How difficult was it breaking into different markets outside of Memphis?
Speaker 4: And we didn't give a fuck. We just did what we did. You know, people caught on you know what I'm saying. We we you know, we just experimented with a lot of things. Man. We me and Paul was one of the most greatest producers of all times. I mean, man, we would experiment. I can't. I don't want to give all my formula away, you know what I'm saying. You gotta you know, read the book and uh, you know, pay for that. But but we we experiment with a lot of different things. Man, we we We are a real artist, you know what I'm saying. We just niggas is walking in there and just make a beat. We we put it bringing, We bring the pain. You know, you might walk in our study. You might see a whole fucking orchestra in that motherfucker, you know what I'm saying. And like we just had our minds. Was was just bigger than just making a couple of beats and that was it. Like I had to ask you to one hundred. I would make beats on that, but then I would add extra shit to it. Like I can't tell you how I did it, but you know it's a secret how how we made our music.
Speaker 3: Well, the formula to me was Memphis.
Speaker 4: It was myth.
Speaker 5: But that's what I love about the book too. How you detail Memphis music history?
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, everything, everything, everything, I sound everything came from the city, you know what I'm saying. But just the way we made our beats, we had like a certain kind of formula. We made our beats like you know, some people make they beat certain ways, some people make you know what I'm saying. We had our way. We made our beats because they're like, I ytata make y'all bease sile like this, I ytta make y'all kicks out like I gotta make y'all you know what I'm saying, snare sounding like that. So we was very We made our own We created our own snares, We created our own kicks. You see what I'm saying. We didn't get our kicked from somebody else. We created it.
Speaker 2: Now, you talk about the drug use in the book, and you know you just mentioned it. Now, what got you to slow down on.
Speaker 1: The drug use?
Speaker 2: Was it the birth of your kids? Was it mom Duke's Was it not in the zone? What got you out of that?
Speaker 3: God called that time out?
Speaker 4: Yeah it was it was. It was getting crazy. I remember I was at a show in Atlanta, and I was coming from Atlanta. I was doing a lot of niggs. I was drinking at Bombay. Man. I was just like really really fucked up, man, you know what I'm saying, Like slumped over in the car and my body God was like hit me like this, hey man, you take it. He just whished out of my ear.
Speaker 1: Take it.
Speaker 4: He's on the drugs. Man, You're looking bad man, you know. And I was on the the ride home, I just had tears in my eyes. I was just thinking about three six miles here, how can we get this group back together and we could figure shit out, you know what I'm saying. And so you know, that was just one incident. And then I did a show in New York and I had left my xen X in the room, and boy, see I didn't I didn't know the power. For the power of xen X, you got to take them jumps every day, if you like, miss a couple of days, and you started getting these body these crazy body aches talking like this shit is like, man, I was like scratching, I was like tweaking. I was like, man, I said, I don't feel right telling Ray. I was like man, I don't feel good. Man. I didn't take my Zans and shit, I left him in the room and we did the show and I was sweating on stage, and man, it was just like crucial. So then I remember we went to Atlanta kind of just kind of moving forward, cause we were flying all over the places when we went to Atlanta. Because when I got back to the room, I took the Zaan, so I was cool. I was like Jesus fu. So then I went we went to Atlanta and I made a mistake when left the Zans in the room again and we did to do the show. I just made it. At that day, man, I was really feeling really down. Bro. I was like just like slumped over and I was like, man, I'm not feeling good man. And I was outside the club and I was telling Mike will I was like, man, I left my Zans in the fucking room hotel room. He said, oh, man, I know you. I know you're going through it. And after that, I was like, man, I can't do this shit no more. And my manager, my cousin took me to a doctor and a doctor told me how to get off the X.
Speaker 1: Did you have to go to rehab or was it something that.
Speaker 4: He gave you. Oh? No, Well, he just told me I was taking a whole one. He said, take a half of it. He said, take a half and you'll gradually just get off of it. That's all really. So I just started taking half and I just gradually just half a quarter tenth and yeah, and I got off of it, you know what I'm saying. And right today, I mean I'm cool. And it don't get me wrong. It's times I've been on the plane. I might take ax I'm on an airplane, but I'm not. I'm not addicted like that. You know what I'm saying. I actually really need them, they prescribed to me. I actually I really really need them. But I don't take them like I used to take them. I used to be like just taking them, taking them drinking. I can ah, fuck it, sip some lean fugget, you know what I'm saying. I remember I was in fucking Toronto. I was sipping lean, taking x X, and I just felt like my body was just slowing down. I was like, oh, and then like that voice hit me in the head, like put that damn leane out. And then one boy said, ma, you're gonna put that lane. That's a lot of lane, that's a good lane. Then the other voice like, now put a leane out and not to pull the shit out, and said, fuck it, I want to leave.
Speaker 2: Man, and your peers can't come up to you and talk to you about it, because I mean, in the industry, there's so many people that that have been on it, got off of it, have been on it. We've seen lose so many people.
Speaker 1: Let any of your.
Speaker 2: Pairts say, let me talk to you juice and my parents, your peers, anybody else in the industry.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, nobody And nobody said anything to me but my family, the people that was close to me, like my manager and uh my bodyguards and stuff. People from Memphis.
Speaker 5: Well, you had a lot of people close to you that didn't get the opportunity to you know, shake shake it like you did. You know, you think of that mac Miller's and you know the gangster boze, God blessed it dead. Do you think there was a point you wish you could have, like I don't know, intervened with them or you couldn't help them because you couldn'tven help yourself at the time.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, back in the day when three since my we first started, I wasn't really doing a lot of drugs like everybody else. You know what I'm saying. I might little lean here, smoke a little taste of weed there. You know, I was a heavy drinker, but I didn't do drugs like they did drugs. They was really going hard with the cocaine. And you know, Lord was on a little hair on here and there. You know what I'm saying. It was very, very very serious. So my situation was I was trying to get everybody off not so much. I was trying to get everybody off of the I didn't really I really didn't give a fuck about the syrup and the peels because I feel like that really wasn't the problem. The problem I saw was was a cocaine Because when they do cocaine, when they come up those withdrawals, they go crazy. You know what I'm saying. It makes you mad, makes you like you're a tough guy, you know what I'm saying. Nigga would hit their cocaine board. They would fucking tear shit up. Paul, I'm going to club. They're the club up from you know what, I'm saying, motherfucker would throw man, I've seen Paul throw a chat the bather bucker shoot a strap. You know what I'm saying, Like, motherfucker go crazy. You know what I'm saying. Niggas was just turned up like that. And I was only, you know, like half sober nigga. I mean half sober, like I might have coll a couple of drinks or something. But I'm still saying, so I'm like holding Paul back lord Coop, you know what I'm saying. Coop was like a Coop was crazy as hell, man like rest in peace, but he would do anything like Coops. The nigga was just like if you just say, man, let's just blow up a building, he would. He'd be like all foy. He was crazy like that, you know. And Crunchy Black. Same what Crunchy Black was. Every week he was going to jail. He just fight shootouts, all kind of shit. You know what I'm saying, real shit. So I was just trying to I was not. I wasn't not. I wasn't as high as them. I was just trying to get that cocaine out the way because I just every time that cocaine was in the in the in the building, the ship would go down if the pills was cool. You know what I'm saying, I don't. I didn't see nothing going drastic with the pills, but the cocaine was crazy. Then when I seen Lord on the heron, I was like, oh, this is getting a little different. Now, it's getting extra serious. And that's when he just kind of listened. He pretty much left the group on his own.
Speaker 3: Almost the misreading the book. I thought there was one point Lord didn't do drugs.
Speaker 4: Right, and at a point he didn't, you know what I'm saying. At the point he didn't, he just smoked a little weed and then he just, you know, things start going up, you know what I'm saying. The more money was start getting excuse me, things started going up, and I was just trying the man. I was the main dude, just trying to hold you know, everybody back from doing that. I called the White Devil, you know what I'm saying, because it was really fucking shit up, and it was it was destroying the group, you know what I'm saying. And then you know, things advanced. We won an Oscar and then that was it. You know, we went Hollywood, and.
Speaker 2: Shit, how difficult was it to talk back to the members during that time when everybody went their own ways and everybody was having their own success. How difficult was it to say, you know what, let's put the group in front of everything else.
Speaker 4: It was very difficult, man, because they didn't listen to me. They just laugh at me that I was talking.
Speaker 1: Shit, who's the most difficult to talk to?
Speaker 3: Lord?
Speaker 4: That us man rest in peace. He was a cold motherfucker man, like he was the man man he was. It was hard to deal with. My member was in the car and the nigga had like we got pulled over, right, they didn't find nothing in the car. And then I looked into his part and I said, nigga, I said, man, you better be glad they didn't check your motherfucker pocket because his pocket, this nigga had some xen x. He had a lot of shit in his part, like it's like it's little like a little button down, you know, had like the side pocket, his side pocket. He had so much. He said, oh shit, I forgot all about that. I forgot to hide that. I was like, oh after that day, that was the day I said I can't ride with you niggas. I would have got my own transportation. I would to get this band we was riding in like the same bands. Me and Paul used to drive the bands and then we start hiring drivers. But that day when he said he forgot to hide that drug, the heron and the coke and whatever else he had in that little side pocket, I was like, fuck this, I said. Then I started trying to I had to separate myself because I was like, man, I can't make no money in jail. Bro, I ain't trying to go to motherfucking jail. My nigga, Like, we're making money, we having success. Why the fuck I want to get pulled over for some you know, some cocaine or some shit that that wouldn't even mine and go to jail for it. I said, it's not smart. I said, he didn't. He didn't listen to me at I'll crutch it with listen sometimes very coops the nigga no but uh and gainst the boot. She would listen to me, though she would. I had to calm her down a lot. A lot of times she hit some coke. She go crazy. Gamest the boot was thanks to real game. You know what I'm saying she'll fight an whatever she cuts the nigga ass out. But anyway, I had to she listened to me a lot. But it was difficult with Lord of the Man.
Speaker 5: When you was writing the dedications because I feel like the dedications are every everybody that you lost, right, Yeah, when you write that, How did that feel the just to have to write that dedication?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's bad, man, It's crazy, bro, Like I should have teared every other day. Man, think about that shit.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, It's been a It's been a great painful journey. You know what I mean, great painful journey.
Speaker 5: Your mother, Lord, Infamous, coupstera Gangster, Boo Clinton, Nigga Creep, Brady and Cardi k rock Burn.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: I always always when I ask when I heard stories about, you know, drug use like that, like, do you remember who introduced you to it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Because as a kid or growing up, I remember who introduced me to my favorite car, my favorite sports team, my favorite rapper, my favorite musician. Do you remember the time that somebody introduced you to that drug? And what what made you say? You know what, I'm gonna try it.
Speaker 4: Trying to think the XENX who introduced me. I mean, you know, like at at the end of the day, like lord lord and uh, punching them. They did a lot of xanaxy stuff, so you know, it.
Speaker 1: Was around already.
Speaker 4: And I used to when I used to was flying a lot, and I was talking to this doctor met in Hollywood. I was like, man, flying and ship, I probably need something to calm myself down. Or somebody said I got some funny and he just gave me the xen X, you know what I'm saying. So it kind of went from a little conversation. I was like, Okay, I know, you know, crunching them take xan x, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So it went from there, you.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm saying. I never I never really seen them go crazy like off the chain on some some pills or even some lean you know what I'm saying. It was kind of sleepy, kind of you know, slum or whatever. But even that was like the cocaine. I wouldn't do no because I felt like the cocaine was more like the raised drug. So I was like, I I ain't never had to tell these niggas to slow down on the lean of stuff. Like that, So I guess this might be cool to you know, Papa Zana or something. And then it just gradually, you know, definitely me. She feel good. So it gradually just kind of slowly but surely took me over, you know what I'm saying. And then Alanine already knew bou Lane. I mean I sip Lane had sip Ling before, so you know I had you know, I had the hook on the act. I had so much act man. They I was the act man man, I was acting. I still got something.
Speaker 3: Yes, what is ACT activists? Oh ship, Yeah, but then they just continued it do something?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they haady banned. I still got something.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what is ACT activists?
Speaker 1: Google it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, google it now.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 5: I love the book, you know, don't try. I love how in the book you pay homed to Memphis music. But you talk a lot about Stax Records. Yes, talk about how you were influenced by that, by the story of sa.
Speaker 4: Al Bail Jim Stewart, you know what I'm saying. Uh, he had a sister too that was involved in Stacks. I can't remember her name. She was her last name of Stewart too. Man, I was just influenced by that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, Isaac Hayes, Rufus Thomas, Man, you damn man. They had the ten Pre's and it was it was the biggest record Labelhen it's out and you know when I was coming up, you know, it was over with. But they had tore down the building. I remember it was on the news in the newspaper. They tore down the Stacks building. I was like, why the fuck would they do that? You know what I'm saying, I just start with some racist shit. I was like many folks on as shit out here. Man. They just told the motherfucking building down, like that's a historic place, and they tore it down and they eventually built it back up. But I was like, man, we're gonna we're gonna be like Stacks, and I'm a following the footsteps of Albil al Bell was like he was running Stacks the black dude, And I got the book. I read like I read that book like back and forth and back and forth because I was so interested how to hide this nigga from you know, he was actually from he was from d c our Bell was from DC and I was just he moved to Mimpus and he started running stacks. So I was just so interested that, like how this man run a whole record label. So I was just reading about what he did, and I took I talked about my book everything that he did. I did a lot of stuff, you know, in my life, my career to follow him his footsteps in their work, you know what I'm saying. So that's that was the big influence that I had.
Speaker 5: I don't want to get was too much away from the book, But like when I read about the issues you had with your father, right and and and some of your upbringing, and then you know, now you got two children. Yeah, do you feel like you're you've done a good job of breaking some of those generational curses?
Speaker 4: I think I wouldn't. I wouldn't call it a curse. I just called it. I just learned something from it, you know what I'm saying. I learned a lot from it. I think I think I'm I'm good man. I'm good with my kids. Man, Like if the one cause my mom and my dad, I wouldn't probably probably be some mad man, you know what I mean? Just being real. They took care of me. I love them. They took care of me. Man, they made sure we was straight regardless of I love small. I call it small family issues because it wasn't nothing like big, big, big, you know what I'm saying. I never was like if my family nothing like that. I mean, I've been there for them day one. I'm still there for them, like you might talk about in my book. Like every time they called me, I don't care what I was doing. I was in the strip club having sex with the phone ring is my mom is something like, hey, stop to stop the music. I picked the phone up all the time because mymphis was so bad, and you know, I didn't know it was it. They just called me to check on me and saying I'm doing or it could have been like an emergency. I mean one time, one time my dad called me. I was high as a mother, you know what I'm saying. It was kind of weird too, you know what I'm saying. I thought I was smoking some weed and I thought they'd put some cocaine in it. Man, bro, I was so high, I was like laughing and SHIP couldn't stand up straight. I was feeling like I was about to pass out. He just called me. I know, he was like, what you're doing. I was like chilling, you know what I'm saying. He's like, oh, okay, I'm just checking. I just thought about you, and I was just this must have been a sign from God. Let me get out of this. I was at somebody house and let me get the hell out of here. Man at the time, you know, so I left. But yeah, they all they took care of me.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: They made me who I am today.
Speaker 3: You your granddad had, do you have? It was two families that all had the same names.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah. He had had one family Lymphis and I think the other one the other one was like in Mississippi, and so he had named him the same names.
Speaker 1: So that's wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he couldn't you remember? He remember the names? You know what I'm saying. Like, my mom name was Shirley, so he named his other daughter he had somewhere else Shirley. So he can remember the names.
Speaker 1: When did y'all find that out? Uh?
Speaker 4: My mom told me and my aunts told me. They told me a lot of a lot of stuff about him. I mean, he was he passed away before I was born, But they told me a lot of stuff about him, and I just felt like, like going back to mental mental health. You know my mom, you know what I'm saying. For her to come from that kind of situation, you know, I could tell, like you know, she had been damaged by that. You know what I'm saying. I could tell doing her movements and things she did. She was upset about that. You know, she told me her dad never told her he loved her. You know what I'm saying. So that's bad, man, you know what I'm saying. So like I said, man, mental health starts with in the beginning of your life, and it can affect you later. It does affect you later on in your life.
Speaker 2: You ever think about while our parents never said I love you, like, why was it so difficult for our parents to be like, I love you? Because when you hear the story all the time about our generation saying their parents never said I love you ever, because that's my daughter, I say it all the time, I said overly.
Speaker 3: But you know, I think we take for granted.
Speaker 5: And like the way you're talking about mental health, the way I talked about mental health, we're the first generation that has the luxury of healing. The generation before they were scratching and surviving, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like they weren't thinking about that kind of stuff. They weren't thinking about emotions.
Speaker 4: And all that. My mom, my mom told me, she told me she loved me, though did too.
Speaker 3: My dad didn't.
Speaker 1: My dad didn't. But now later on, later on in life, Yeah, they get it to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we need that though. You know, the kids need that love. Man, you know what I'm saying. Absolutely, you know what I'm saying. And like I said, and that affects us later on our life. You know, you're thinking about Like my mom talked about that, and I was like, damn, I felt like she was really she was really messed up about that, like like he never told me he loved me, you know what I'm saying. She was saying, and she would have tears in her eyes. So yeah, it's terrible, man, you know what I'm saying. She had to go through that, and she really never talked to any about it. It was all she was always quiet about a lot of different things. And that's why I said, a lot of times, we just need to be needing to have somebody to talk to, you know, like a therapist. I have a therapist. You know what I'm saying. Her, You talk about therapists like I got one. I've had a couple of, you know what I'm saying, and uh, we need that man. You know what I'm saying. You know we we definitely need to pray and pray to God most definitely, that's number one. And if we need to have somebody to talk to, we need to have somebody to talk to to try to help get over that. Because I feel like if she maybe would have had if she would have talked to talk to somebody about that and somebody maybe like could understand her and listen to her things that maybe had been different. My mom was closed off. She didn't really she had she really had like a lot of friends. She was kind of just closed off, you know what I'm saying, and it just affected you know, all that stuff affected her.
Speaker 3: Man. But what got you on your healing journey.
Speaker 4: Just you know, talking to talking with my therapist. My therapist. The first thing he told me, he said, man, let's start with the beginning. You know what I'm saying, how you know, how were you raised? Weren't you you know, how was your mom? And then that would put me I was like, oh, okay, that's why I'm like I am today because I went through this and you know what I'm saying, Okay, okay, now started realizing helped me really like my issues I had, like my paranoia, always looking over my shoulder.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, I might overdo it. I might have like more guns on me than the average gun I post to post. You know, maybe it's like, hey, man, going to a small function, bring one gun. I might have two, three. I mean, just bring one security. I might have four. You know what I'm saying. Coming up in Memphis, it's like Nigga, Man, it was crazy out there. You know what I'm saying. I was like, just Nigga was talking about robbing me, doing this and doing that. So I'm like, shit, I'm being on point. Motherfucker, pull up, I'm gonna shoot him in the face. You know, That's just how it was. You had to you know, coming up in members you gotta be like that. They make you like that. Even you try to be like, I'm gonna be cool, I ain't gonna do nothing.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Nigga steal your bike. Nigga stole my bike. You know what I'm saying, nigga shot my cock one day. I'm like, all right, you know what I'm saying. It's like that, Okay, I'm a mask up on your motherfucking ass, nigga. You know what I'm saying. So you know I was, I I start sinking into that environment. So and then it did. But still even still, you know you missed a tough guy. Whatever. Still you have to look over your shoulder cause you don't know if your best friend or somebody next year, you're gonna blow your ass off, you know what I'm saying, Like real shit, niggas a snake out that nigga pull some moves. I didn't have. Niggas set me up and all kind of shit.
Speaker 3: So so you just had a bunch of unhealed trauma. You need a unpack there you go, right, So.
Speaker 4: I'm like, just right here. So then even when I come there, like I go anywhere, I'm on the same type of time. You know what I'm saying, I ain't never like I'm just chilling. I'm in a different city, so like its chill. Hell no, we got more guns. We got a vests. I just to sleep with a bulletproof vests. On in Memphis. You know what I'm saying. When I was in my house, you know, it was just so bad like that, I would sleep with the best so then I would I would try to train myself to wake up to grab a gun at a certain time. I hear, I hear a noise and ours I'm I'm fucking jumping up with the strap. You know what I'm saying, Like, at least.
Speaker 3: Told you to get a better gun. One time, though, Yeah, yeah, I got pulled over.
Speaker 4: He seen my gun. I had this little thirty eight. He said, it's piece of shit, took the bullets out and threw the gun back at me. Dangn I man, get you a better gun, man, and they drove off.
Speaker 3: Would you how would you define Memphis now versus when you were growing up?
Speaker 4: It's worse now, really? Oh shit, this man, it's so bad now. Man. They jacking every day. Bro, you know what I'm saying, You know what I mean, Like it was bad then, but now it's like they didn't they didn't boost it up.
Speaker 5: I feel like, you know, and we always say that things are worse now. The thing I think is missing is there's no like it's just crazy. It's not there's no spiritual foundation, like these kids ain't got no morals, no values, like no respect. You know, there was a respect among There was an honor among thieves and crooks back I know that sounds crazy when you think about it, but it was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was a real street code back then. You know, it was You're right, it was honored. You know what I'm saying. It was like, all right, we're doing this, we're doing that, but we're not doing you know, we're not you know, no kids involved. You know, stuff like that in street business. But now it's like fuck it. You know what I'm saying. Anything goes nigga, you walk through the door. Anybody wouldn't kill them all. You know, they just think like that. People think like that. Now it's fucked up. That's why I mean, like, you know, when I'm done with this rap shit, man, when you know the older, when I get closest sixty, you know what I'm saying, pushing seventy shit, I'm running for an office or some down there Memphis. Man, I want to change the city. I want to get people better jobs because they don't have job opportunities down there. Many like the hope is down there is like there's no hope. So people are just going crazy down there. You know what I'm saying. I think if they had better jobs and opportunities down at Myphis and definitely some you know, somebody talking to these niggas, you know what I'm saying, and talking about mental health and talking about situations in life and how can we try to fix this. I think things could be better. It's because take time.
Speaker 1: But also I think there's more. I think there need more things to do.
Speaker 2: Yes, like anything comes to the city, and like, like I said, when I did the call show out there, it was so many families and even even the police and the sheriff they were happening. It was like, we need more events like this, Yeah, for kids to keet them out the streets, let them come in in and see things and be inspired. And I was like a lot of cities need stuff like that. And the amount of people that came out in Memphis it was just amazing. But then when it was time to do after Port, I was.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know, I'm gonna come do afterpart. I heard three people got shot last night, you know, I mean, so it was that type of thing as well, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's bad man, yep, I feel you. I know y'all had like hello polies with job workers.
Speaker 2: Now, I was gonna aquit busy out there. When you talk about somebody setting you up? How do you trust people again after you say somebody on your team set you up? Like, how do you develop that trust again?
Speaker 4: Because that gotta be I canna fuck with them no more, but besides them, how to developed the trust?
Speaker 2: I like other people on your team because you always got to be looking over your shoulder. You always got to be scared, you know, man, you know it? Just I just say, man, or do you not trust anybody anymore?
Speaker 4: Really? I really pretty much? Don't you know what I'm saying. I trust to folks on with you know what I'm saying. I mean, look at the end of the day three sis mighty, I trusted a lot of people in three sis Mabi. You know we was a real it was you know, we was a but it was like a lot of outside niggas that was coming in. And I didn't trust you know what I'm saying, and and and and the group didn't trust you know what I'm saying, stuff like situation like that. But as far as before three, like, not even talking about three sets might be me just coming up in North members. No, I can't trust nobody, man, Noah, I had this chick set me up. I was at this chick crib running one day and uh, I mean I've slept. Like when I woke up, I was like, Damn, I never slept that that loan you you know what I'm saying. I woke up. All my money in my pockets was gone. Damn my car was on flat. All all four tires was on flat.
Speaker 3: See you should have said no the rachet pus, you.
Speaker 4: Know, right, And she was like, what happened.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what happened?
Speaker 4: You told me? She's like, no, I didn't just I hadn't do ship. So I went out to my car. I'm like, man, what my tires on flat? And like the nigga didn't cut my tires, he just left the roup my tires. So I got somebody to come by and put the air in the tires and I left. And then she called me like a day or two She's like, I didn't set you up. I didn't do anything. But you white, you know you don't call me. I must want you to know I didn't do that. I said, bitch, don't call him. I was on the phone in her face. You know what I'm saying. I just used as a lesson. Learned man, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: She was telling the truth though you just knew you up, that was it I spot.
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I mean like it was like a mom house and may she had a couple of brothers in there. You know, she tried to blame on her brothers, but may come on, brother, Damn, come on, I was in her room.
Speaker 3: That would have been the end of ratchet pussy for me. Juicy.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I just hit to you's like to pointing ot where you can know the raget busy. I mean, I'm married now, you know what I'm saying. That's done. But you know, after that, I start getting hotelroo because I didn't get hotel rooms at first. I was just like, you know, at a chick's house or whatever, I might have a strap or some something and I'm good. No, I wasn't good. After that, I start getting hotel rooms and ship so you know, like I would pull up and get like, uh, you know they have these hotels and myths you can pull up like a drive through, get like two three hours, smash and dash. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Book, you gotta get the book.
Speaker 4: All in the book.
Speaker 5: I want to say, good morning America. They wouldn't let you wear this grat jacket and the hannibal like the mask.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: No, it was a little scary, you know what I'm saying. But it's all good. They're good man. I had a great time over there. Man. They good people. I understood. That's what I brought extra outfits too. So what they do?
Speaker 3: They just came here and said, hey, man, did you tell them what it was for? You say, I'm trying to raise up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we had we had that in place, but they weren't really trying to hear that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, damn damn. Are you executive producing making the Stallions new album?
Speaker 4: No? No, I wish I was, But I'm I'm executive producing Tar Dog Signs album, Dog Signs Album, and then I'm I'm producing a lot of stuff makes I'm doing a lot of production for it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I heard y'all got a lot of records together.
Speaker 4: Man, we got a lot of hard ship man.
Speaker 3: So why Yeah, I personally when I heard that I'm like, damn U c j ep and making the Stallion. That's sound.
Speaker 4: That's son album is real. It sounded like a ninety two two thousands, Uh, you know, mid two thousand and three, six month albums hard singing over us, singing and singing over that ship shit crazy.
Speaker 3: Is that what he wanted? He wanted that vibe?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he asked me to executive produce the project.
Speaker 5: What's Meg's vibe like? Because you know that's some It's a big album for her after everything she went through. Like, this's a big project, big project. I can't tell you that, but it's hard. The motherfucker. She she she energized. Man, she going in killing everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, well the book is out right now. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, one more question, one more question. What does song one O seven one mean to you?
Speaker 4: Song one O seven one which with Psalm one some oh this one on the back, Yeah, let's read it.
Speaker 3: Oh gift thanks him to the Lord for he is good for his mercy and doing or forever.
Speaker 4: First I thought you said soon, Yeah, this is something I chose. You know, every every album, always put a Bible scripture on my album to notice that. So I felt like this right, here. Oh, give thanks unto the Lord. He is for he is good, for his mercy, and do it forever like his mersey everything. You know, he has mercy on you. You know what I'm saying. Like in other words, you can change your life around. He gonna forgive you all your sins and your wrongdoing. So this is very inspirational for me. It's just I feel like this. This is a part of my life right now. You know what I'm saying, Trusting in the Lord man, because he gonna he forgives you. And you can always start over and be a new person. You know what I'm saying. You can go from bad to good. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I love it man, Juicy talking about spirituality, mental health. Come on, man, come on man, pick up the books of the Juice Man.
Speaker 4: Appreciate you can get it right now.
Speaker 5: The Sore and Baker too so. And you did a phenomenal job. I don't know you, but you did a phenomenal job.
Speaker 4: A great job. Yep. Three is my DJ Paul Crunchy Black, Rest in Peace, Lord Infamous, Rest in Peace, Gangstablue and Coops, the Nigga and everybody. Uh shout out to the whole hypnotized camp posse. Man, you know what I'm saying, Hopefully one day we can all get together and do a crazy tour.
Speaker 3: I had an idea.
Speaker 4: I thought, you know, since I heard b G got out, you know, shout out to BEG like man, be dope with cash money and hypnotize, did a whole tour.
Speaker 1: That'd be dope. We said that earlier.
Speaker 5: With that, with that, could could you be able to do that without the gangsta bulls and you know everybody else?
Speaker 4: Yeah? We could. We figured out we'll do it. Maybe bring like a hologram or something, you know what I'm saying, something special with the special effects. Yeah, I think that'll be dope.
Speaker 3: You're still dealing with that? Do you ever get over that?
Speaker 4: It's getting over the passing of them? Never. I think about all of them all the time. I cried here and there, you know, real ship, like that's that ship tore me up? Man? Still like still crazy?
Speaker 1: M h All right, well it's the Breakfast Club is juicy j Sir sho