Speaker 1: Ridiculous History is a production of iHeartRadio. Welcome back to the show Ridiculous Historians. Thank you, as always so much for tuning in, and shout out to our super producer Max Adenda Williams Sele. This is speaking of selector. These are some selects for us your nol I am Ben. Yeah, we are doing something different. It's our first quote unquote clip show of Matrosh goadl of Segues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're kind of like uh cure, We're like DJs on the BBC, you know, like playlist or something.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. Yeah. And this is this is funny big because backstage this brief explanation, Max Noel and I talked about the different things that get left out of episodes because you know, it is when you're deep in research, you're a sponge. You gather all this stuff and sometimes it doesn't make it in because of time or because it's an interesting fact that may not fit the story. So we're doing something kind of like, as Max pointed out, kind of like Morty's mind blowers from the show Rick and Morty or interdimensional Cable now that I think about it.
Speaker 2: So speaking of the kind of stuff you see in that Rick and Morty episode. Ben, I love the idea of sponge gathering things. I'm just picturing a sort of anthropomorphic sponge with weird long arms. It's just kind of gathering things up in baskets.
Speaker 1: Love it. Yes, so we are. That's what we are doing. That's who we are today. We have a lot of tangents and trivia and we just wanted to explore some of these interesting ones that we couldn't let go of. They didn't make it in the show. Although we are that we have a fourth person here. We do. We have our special guest, Alex Circa Alex, thank you for coming on the show. Thanks for having me nice on air. Yeah, it's like we're being observed. We guess one will go.
Speaker 2: We've got the observation windows on the outside. Here people lookie lose, and then we've got these lookie loose over here.
Speaker 1: We've got the cameras. We've got a big television screen time. We should just put someone on the screen, just like a still image, very awkwardly stare at random person. I would go, Christopher, They're just like nodding their head. They like it. Or boring cam feed of all time. Put on c Span put on the crazy compilation clips of Sea Span anyway speaking and clips Uh no, maybe we open with this one. A while back. We looked at nuclear test sites. We looked at broken Arrows. Very interesting and surprisingly terrifying. Well it's not surprising, it's a regular terrify. Losing nukes is crazy. We wanted to explore nuclear test sites. We didn't get a chance to do this in the episode. Folks, It turns out there are some nuclear test sites you can visit today.
Speaker 2: Cool bring your own Geiger counter or maybe they even issue them. I love the sound those things make, those little click click clicks. I feel bad. I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet. I did see the Barbie movie though, and it was delightful. But yeah, Trinity, of course back where it all began in Sikoro, New Mexico is obviously a very important location in the film Oppenheimer about the creation of the atomic bomb. On July sixteenth, nineteen forty five, in New Mexico, Deep Deep, New Mexico, the age of atom was birthed.
Speaker 1: And this is weird, Okay, there are some caveats with exploring this test site. The US military detonated a third team pound klutonium contraption. It just annihilated things. It was almost it was like biblical, a six hundred foot wide fireball. Sand is turning into glass windows one hundred and twenty miles away. They're just popping. And people didn't know about the test. They were like, I should have bought I shouldn't have gone cheap on the windows.
Speaker 2: Exactly is this this You mentioned it as a contraption. Was this the one that was referred to as the Gadgets?
Speaker 1: Yes? Yeah, that was uh go go Gadget Apocalypse? Am I right?
Speaker 2: They didn't have a lot of time to work on the name. They were focused on other stuff. But I thingy yeah, yeah, the watch Man call it the do Dad. Here's the deal. And I have a good friend who lives in Atlanta, are Pal Steve Dixie. He has visited this site and he had to plan ahead because here's the big caveat the site of the Trinity detonation is open to the public, but only one day out of the year, really, the first Saturday of April. That's why else and apparently it's worth the trip. Okay, what happens to the rest of the Saturdays and other days?
Speaker 1: I don't know. You know, like blocked off.
Speaker 2: Or they're like, you know, shooters on towers to keep you away.
Speaker 1: Like what are we talking here? Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 1: Why all the hush hush. It's super super exclusive. I guess you know what, if we if what we have learned about the US government is correct, it might just be a budget thing. Maybe, so maybe they got like they they made the budget for visitors and they didn't remember to carry a digit, and so now they only have the one day. Let's pause one moment. There's a quick addendum here. It turns out that the Trinity Site is actually open not just one day a year, but two days per year, so you can go on the first Saturday in April or the third Saturday in October, which is coming up soon.
Speaker 2: Well, another spot you can visit if you want to see some nuclear craters is the Marshall Islands, where you can visit some nuclear crater concrete domes. The US has a long history that we've discussed multiple times, of using remote island areas in order to blow things up and to test weaponry, you know, because it's fine, it's out of the way.
Speaker 1: It was good in any to worry about the aftermath, right, sure, yeah, you know what, it's so chill. We probably don't even have to ask the people who live there. Yeah, they'll be fine. They'll be fine with it. And if you want to learn more, checkout stuff they once you know, as episode on nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands. The Marshall Islands were only one example. Islands and atolls in the South Pacific were used in like over one hundred times for nuclear test and there wasn't a real effort to clean this up until the nineteen seventies. Tale as old as time. It's always that lag.
Speaker 2: It's like we just talked about with Nator and like traffic safety, you know, people have been driving cars for practically one hundred years of four people thought maybe we should make sure people don't die as a result of the things that we've let out into the world for money and or you know, global supremacy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, nuclear Yeah, And there's there's a weird story with that one too, because this crater that we're talking about, the crater was created in a nuclear test code named Cactus. And I feel like that's just very bad security because if people are spying on you, right, they're gonna ask why are you talking about a cactus in the South Pacific.
Speaker 2: Right, you think it would be like palm tree or something. Yeah, yeah, perhaps.
Speaker 1: Raft or maybe maybe just the mango. Maybe the phrase nothing sketchy. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like Operation Mango. I feel like there should be an Operation Mango. I'm sure there is that probably is? Yeah, or is that? What is that what we just call it when we hang out with our pale mangesh Operation Mango. I'm gonna start saying that.
Speaker 1: I love that. So three years.
Speaker 2: Later, and after expend in the neighborhood of a quarter of a billion dollars, they just.
Speaker 1: Built a dome over it. Oh nice, a big, giant concrete dome. So it's kind of it's the geopolitical version of throwing all your stuff in the closet when company comes over. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it takes a little more planning and effort than that I would argue, but essentially you're not far off. We are talking about a foot and a half thick concrete dome measuring around one hundred thousand square feet built over the nuclear crater with signage, of course, trying to ward people off, but it is possible to get to there. You can actually land. I think on run It Island and then head over to the old Cactus Dome, the nuclear Sarcophagus. It's also called yeah, which I think is a is a more appropriate name than just concrete dome.
Speaker 1: Also to jump in.
Speaker 3: There are some eight videos out there of people actually going to the concrete doun, like you know, reporters and stuff. It's it's pretty terrifying and it really makes you hate what the United States have done here.
Speaker 1: So question, I mean, were they building this like so people wouldn't fall in or is there actually still like you know, radioactivity.
Speaker 3: Oh, there is full blown radio Ka's and the concept of it is to keep all that in there. They basically because they blew up like Bikini Island and stuff like that, they took all that dirt and they dumped into this like crater and they built concrete around it and they did a really bad job.
Speaker 1: Let's the same yeah. Yeah, And this was also part of something called Operation Ivy or it's a consequence. It's a great band. Yeah, it is a great band. That's what we're bringing them up. And also, oh, we forgot, we forgot because we have company over. We've got to do the max with the fact sound.
Speaker 2: Cue yeah, but she won't be able to hear it in real time. Okay, Alex, you're just gonna is really good.
Speaker 1: I can get in real time. Did you sign it to a button like a real disc jockey here? He had to take off his headphones. I can hear you. No, it's it's just gonna take a second. I gotta find it in dropbox. Is that sneaking in the phone and he's fallen? Know it's just for you? Right? It makes my heart saying that's our palm Matt Frederick, Alex, what do you think? I mean? That was amazing.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good. We can claim no credit for it. That's why we're able to really give it. Give it props. No, did you hear the one I made for Lauren? No?
Speaker 1: No, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Who's that guess hosting the show?
Speaker 1: Lauren? And she's on this podcast? Hey Lauren? Sorry, that was what got me instead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll send it to you later. We played on the show once before. I think that's one too many times already.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's a little more of a beat poet vibe. I love that. Yeah, I mean I gave it my best shot.
Speaker 2: Well, your efforts were much appreciated. And you know, speaking of like covering stuff up, that's that is bad that people should not venture near, you know. I think I mentioned before in the past, in a previous life, I covered some nuclear waste dumping sites, you know that are very hilariously referred to as superfund sites. I originally thought that they were saying super fun sites, you know, but that's not what they're They're not that much fun at all. But in Augusta, where I did some work for public radio and that was kind of my little area.
Speaker 1: Uh, there's a place called the Savannah.
Speaker 2: River Site that is actually a storage site for nuclear waste from nuclear weapons and for like decommissioned nuclear weapons. And they monitor that area by like tagging wildlife and like kind of catching and really them and then measuring them with Geiger counters. And a lot of these these sites are literally just pits in the ground or they dumped a lot of this waste.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's unfortunately not surprising. And when we when we look at the South Pacific, when we look at places like Enawa, tak and Bikini both A toolls, what we see is that they had to be evacuated. There were dozens and dozens and dozens of tests, nuclear tests that absolutely rock these islands. The consequences continue today, even though these atolls have been partially resettled. From nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty, the US had a two hundred million dollar nuclear cleanup and rehab program for Enawa Talk in particular, and people had to live in exile for thirty three years before they could move back to their land. And again they didn't get any say so on this nuclear testing, and likely, you know, if anything, symbolic compensation, certainly not adequate compensation. You know. Again, for more details, check out our stuff. They want you a new episode on nuclear testing the Marshall Islands. Let's travel to a couple of places before we come back home to the US. Let's go to the Soviet Union. Let's go to Kazakhstan. Do you ever feel that way? Do you ever just wake up and you're like, let's go to kasaicstr just s pop over to Kazakhstan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, this of course is putting us in the shoes of the other major nuclear power during the Cold War, the Soviet Union. And this a place called semi Politensk was the Soviet Union's main test site, the Polygon, which is what it was referred to, which is located in the former Soviet Union. It was a closed city near Semipalatensk.
Speaker 1: I think I'm saying that right.
Speaker 2: I believe today they refer to just as Semi, which I fully stand by.
Speaker 1: I wish I had said it that way from the start. You know, you're probably not alone in that, including the people who live there. We are, of course not native Russian speakers.
Speaker 2: Right, forgive us of any transgressions in the pronunciation department.
Speaker 1: What we need to know about this place is that between nineteen forty nine and nineteen eighty nine, over forty years, there were more than four hundred and fifty nuclear tests just in this place. Three hundred and forty were underground. There were one hundred and sixteen explosions in the atmosphere. The equivalent of this, if you add it all up, this is like blowing up two thousand, five hundred Hiroshima bombs. So there are a lot of craters in the area. It's like a lunar surface the moon man. Yeah, and you know another.
Speaker 2: Thing that the Soviet Union former Civiet Union has a reputation for is not being too transparent with their communication to their citizenry. You know, as we know in the Chernobyl crisis, the nuclear meltdown, information was contained, you know, to an alarming degree, even when it became clear that there would be nuclear fallout that could affect surrounding areas.
Speaker 1: Same deal here, absolutely. Yeah, we know that, we know that they were We know that the Soviet Union was aware of what it was doing. But it's the Cold War, so they were saying they were making the greater good argument. And as a result of this greater good, eighteen thousand square kilometers, well more than eighteen thousand square kilometers are heavily contaminated. Over a million people have some serious health problems as a result of this. And it's kind of like that town where they just mine as bestos. Yeah, it's called asbestos, right. People just live in the Polygon area in this former test site.
Speaker 2: And as we've talked about it, I think we talked about it with Jake Hanrahan on stuff that I want you to know a lot of the scientists that work, you know that are members of this society.
Speaker 1: They are kind of.
Speaker 2: Under the thumb in many ways of the government in terms of like what they say, is allowable levels of this kind of contamination. And as we know, even here in the States, where scientists are arguably a little more free to speak their minds, yeah, arguably, it's still kind of hard to tie health issues specifically to something even as alarming as this level of contamination, right, causality and all.
Speaker 1: That good stuff in christ Yeah, And just like the Ralph Nader consumer movement thing, it's a real David and Goliath situation. There's another there's a returning guest from stuff they don't want you to know that shows up in our next example, also Soviet Union. This one is in Novaya Zemla, Russia. It's the biggest bomb ever exploded, the sar Bumba. That's a great name for a big bomb. That's a great name for like a Davashka Beirut type bad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or it could be like an LCD sound system type in like a cool kind of dance punk type in I'm down with that sar bomba. I'm putting that in my back pocket for my next disco project. But yeah, this is the bde bomb. And just to quote a fabulous article from Atlas Oscura, exiety is thinking they do is such a good job at turning a phrase here, who's the who's the author been?
Speaker 1: There's not an author in this one.
Speaker 2: That's jack because sometimes they just do to editorial. At first glance, the barren landscape of Navoya Zemlia Russian for new Land might not seem like the sort of place where anything interesting has ever happened. Wow, but I know re hatless obscure. It needs some coffee, hot take. But it's remote location and small population meant that it was designated as a nuclear test site in nineteen fifty four, and over the next thirty five years is the location of two hundred and twenty four nuclear detonations, including the world's large nuclear explosion.
Speaker 1: Zar Bomba Bombo Bombo Boombo. The bomba is also like a dance right like.
Speaker 2: Dropped by the Soviet Union in nineteen sixty one over at Navoya Zemlia Island. Most of the island still remains a military based this day, although cruise ships often frequent the southern part of the archipelago, which is a fun word to say, archipelago, not cruise ship.
Speaker 1: I love I love an archipelago, man, I like saying archapella.
Speaker 2: Oh see, I only do arch but I think maybe that's wrong, but that's just the way my mouth says it.
Speaker 1: I like that word because it feels like you're juggling with your mouth.
Speaker 3: So what you guys are saying is Ben is an architect, while Noel you're an arch villain.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, archie nemesis. Uh oh, Jonathan's going to be mad. No, we don't. We don't have two nemeses in the budget.
Speaker 2: I also have fallen arches, which is why I'm excluded from military service, and bone spurs likely story but ansariasis yeah, and malays, Yeah, totally general malays.
Speaker 1: Let's not forget that one. I wonder birds well, who go to war with birds? Oh? God? If that ever happens, I'm out. I want to do. I do want to do, dude, I do want to do a episode in the future on obscure historical maladies. I love reading things like that when they say, unfortunately, young Winnifred felled to the brain fevers. Yes, indeed, speaking.
Speaker 2: Of bird wars, though by the way, there what there was? Did we just mean on the EMU wars in Australia? Yeah, yeah, I think we did. EMUs are terrifying man, they're dinosaur clause could disemboweu you like a raptor in two point five. You'd be holding your guts like Dennis Nedrie in the book version h. Cassawries as well.
Speaker 1: Those are the worst ones. Those are even worse. I don't know why. I know they're more dangerous, but shoe bills freak me out. Have you ever heard the sound they make? I know that they're horrible, horrible nightmare faces and beaks. They look like they're always scheming. It's awful. They're always like really narrowed eyes. Yeah, they're rough man, not cool. That's what the cashuarty though, really does disembowel its prey. It will one hundred percent. Yeah, it is a swoop. It is an f around and foul out f o w L. So anyway, Atomic Survival Town, that's the name of real place we're gonna end this one here? Is this like an amusement park? Ya?
Speaker 2: Can I go here and they issue you like a cool like you know, like a gas mask or like whatever, like.
Speaker 1: A fallout suit. Yeah, yeah, has bad suit or something that sounds like fun. I want to go to Atomic Survival Town. It sounds like ghost town.
Speaker 2: In the sky or like one of those like you know, kind of front Frontier type, you know, attractions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is probably one of the better known sits on our list. Going back to Atlas Obscura in nineteen fifty five, there were fourteen different test explosions at Yuko Flat and this was part of something called Operation Tea Cup, which sounds so dainty. I yeah, pinky up. You know, I always want decorum. I always wanted the job of being the person gets to pick those names. I feel like craation mango for me all day. Yeah, we had some good ones.
Speaker 3: We had Operation Cottage, Operation land Crab what was that two weeks ago?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yeah, yeah, yeah, And so you should be in charge of naming more of these top secret government operations. We'll write the email.
Speaker 2: Later, Operation Ground and find Out or f Around and foul Out, the Cassaway deployment.
Speaker 1: So yes. So the most memorable parts of these tests were the reasons called Atomic Survival Town is because they built a dummy town. Cool sort of like when the Allies built that fake Paris. Just so yeah, which is an episode that's sort of like what is it the Mandala effect. We're like we swear we did this episode or did we just hang out and talk about it. I think we had a brief for this and we in our minds totally did it, but we obviously didn't do it, or it's been lost to time and or are publishing apparatus.
Speaker 2: Because we're saving it for our pal, Casey Pegrick. That's right, because he's our resident Francophone. Yes, franc Fi very much is francopheliac. No, that makes it sound weird, So yeah, he is. He is definitely our francophone friend. And for folks who have asked, I want to take a quick aside here, Casey is still very much a big part of the show. We are all friends, we hang out. Casey is just a very busy guy. He makes a lot of other shows, but he says hello, and we're going to have him on one day for the Paris episode that we can't remember recording.
Speaker 1: But to get back to the topic it hand.
Speaker 2: Here Atomic Survival Town in Nevada a series of fourteen nuclear test sites that were a part of Operation Teacup. As he said, the most memorable part of this operation was a purpose built town with homes and other townly structures built at varying distances from the blast to just see f around and find out see how these structures would be affected. This, one could argue, is a thoughtful operation that does take the human collateral into.
Speaker 1: And that's the creepiest part. You're right, it is a better plan than many of the other ones. It's also very Twilight Zone because they didn't just make fake buildings and a fake town. They populated it with fake people. Oh, realistic looking mannequin families, departly dressed, No doubt. I don't like being around mannequins. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's also like anytime there's a creepy basement or a creepy addict, there's a mannequin. There's always a mannequin with no arms.
Speaker 1: Just hanging out. Where did they come from? I feel like they're judging I.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm taking of the ones with no head and no arms, you know, like a dressmaker's dummy or whatever. But I think it's just every horror house had someone that was trying needle work, you know, or making their own clothes and then just kind of gave up and then the thing goes in the attic.
Speaker 1: I mean once it's such a sunk cost fallacy. Once you have a mannequin, what are you gonna do? Throw it away? Weird? Yeah, you put it in the weirdest room in your house. You guys know, My grandfather when it was alive, was a sculptor, and so he had mannequins and they were in the part of the garage that people didn't go to.
Speaker 2: That way, when the Scooby Doo gang comes a call and you give them a good fright.
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, and then give them, you know, a constellation mannequin. He didn't solve the murder, but here's here's a body. Yeah. Anyway, So this survivement Caboostia, yeah yeah, again the needlework. This survival town also sometimes called Doomtown, that had these folks also good band name, yeah yeah, also had these folks going about their day to day routines, you know, And they did some research. They said, where would these people be at this point, at this time of day when this bomb detonates. What happens when a bomb explodes over a real town. So this was definitely worthwhile research. But folks, look up the pictures if you if you can't tell how creeped out we are by talking about this. Just go ahead and ruin your afternoon. Total Spooksville one hundred percent spooky Town, and you know what happened just now, Noel, Max, Alex, Hey, thanks for hanging out. I think we're gonna have to make this just the nuclear Bits episode. I know it's a little bit short, but we have this long list of lost bits. We might have to go like category by category. This one is deemed.
Speaker 2: It felt that way, it felt right and natural. Also, we got a holiday coming up, so you know, we'll just give us a break, y'all.
Speaker 1: Come on, come on. We're people to It's Labor Day. Podcasters are people to It's Labor Day, and you can celebrate it even if you're not currently pregnant. Is that right? Is that the one where you're not supposed to wear white after it or you do wear white after it? Or it's one don't you don't why? I don't understand. And that's a tail for another day. Yeah, we should also get into the history of the Labor Day movement, right since we just did a Nator episode representing consumers, and I think when we do that, when we can, maybe we can save the wearing white reveal. What can I just do it? Now I've already got it up on the screen. It's just I think we should this obviously shouldn't be a thing. This is correct.
Speaker 2: The holiday, originally in the eighteen eighties, was the official end of the summer and the start of the fall. The quote unquote rule you cannot wear white after Labor Day spans back to the late nineteenth century and was reportedly invented by an elite group to use fashion to separate those with and without money. Booo, not in the spirit of the labor movement at all.
Speaker 1: I like wear white. I like the idea. Well. As a color blind person, I'm kind of restricted to great white. You got your white? Oh nice, that's gonna last at least a couple of weeks. Fight the system. Also, whenever I think of wearing white after Labor Day, I am reminded of one very amazing film, Serial Mom. Do you guys remember Serial Mom.
Speaker 2: I know she murdered people based on them not having you know, white manners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she killed people. She killed someone for wearing white shoes after Labor Day. That's right, that's the that's funny. And I think that's a John Waters movie. That's yeah.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't realize that, oh that tracks tracks Yeah, and it holds up. It's it's pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I haven't seen in years.
Speaker 2: I just remember thinking it was probably it felt like his more accessible John Waters movie, considering that some of his early stuff involves like eating poop and stuff like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, corporate, that's right? Is that the word? So good? With these words?
Speaker 3: A guys to jump in here, because you know, since we're you know, just gonna talk about nukes today, I got one more I wanted to throw in there. This is not in the sheet secret careful. We're talking about Bikini Atoll, which is also part of uh of the Marshall Islands. This is the one they basically blew up. But funny enough, this is the origin story for Godzilla.
Speaker 1: That's right, that's right, Yeah, there was.
Speaker 3: There were some people who were safely evacuated. I'm doing strong air quotes across the glass to y'all. I don't know if you'll see them, but they just saw this giant explosion. And then there was this conspiracy theory that the explosion and all, you know, all the dirt everything rising up was a monster coming from the sea, which is where the creation myth of Godzilla came from what all actual do they just blew up an island in a country in the middle of the ocean. I think we talked about this many times that yet just have this, you know, this weird kind of fed up kink of just going to the ocean and just blowing up these beautiful islands.
Speaker 1: They called it manifest destinies.
Speaker 2: And Godzilla is almost this this this personification of like retribution for trying to play god Sure, you know, like it comes for your cities.
Speaker 1: You know, your your modern uh you.
Speaker 2: Know, meccas or whatever, and and Godzilla doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Let's do the orgins of Godzilla too.
Speaker 2: There's so much symbolism we're talking about that kind of stuff and that kind of genre. And I'm sure, Ben, I'm pretty positive you've seen this. There is a film by Bung June Ho called The Host, which is a very cool modern kind of Godzilla. It's not a giant creature, which I like, which I think, if you know, if you want a modern giant creature film, I still think Cloverfield, the original one is quite quite good. But The Host is it doesn't even bother with the backstory too much. It just basically starts with a bunch of scientists messing with chemicals, and then there's a monster and then that's the movie.
Speaker 1: And it's it's Korean Korean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's it's it's very much a character study, and all of these characters kind of end up being these archetypes. And there's like one who's like an Olympic archer, and of course some archery comes into play, but the c G I really holds up. There's the first kind of monster attack scene is like on a lake side kind of and it is really really good.
Speaker 1: Also, I was curious about this. I know, I'm always proposing adventures and you guys aren't always into them. Are you talking about not doing that? Not doing that? That's that? That was a bait. That wasn't fair, you know, I just don't. I've got a heights thing, man.
Speaker 2: You can visit here's who talk about. Yeah, no, did an entire episode about this. You don't get to know what is life if not to be lived?
Speaker 1: I bet I like I want my life to be longer. Hot air balloons are just death traps. So you're saying, especially some mob might come hollo think of them as freedom traps. Yeah, or or or how about this, because you want to fly like a bird man I am. How about this, guys, you don't have to go in the hot air balloon. You know. I'm working on giving my pilot license for a real playing no offense to hot air balloon nuts balloonis but uh, but we can once the war ends, and we all hope the war ends, there's a week war. We could travel to Chernobyl. The war with Eurasia. We've always been a war with East Asian I.
Speaker 3: Have a better idea.
Speaker 1: What do you think of hot air balloons? I can confirm I've been on one before.
Speaker 2: Cool, you're the bravest one amongst us, and yeah, good, good job.
Speaker 1: I would do like.
Speaker 2: I also am not a huge fan of open air high roller coasters. They freak like the Goliath flags.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I go through these periods where I'll get over a fear and do it for a while, and then the fear returns and then I'll no longer do it.
Speaker 1: That's not my claustrophobia? Is it? Waxes in Waynes? All right? Yeah? Well, how is your what would the word be radiophobia? Your fear of radiation? Chernobyl has some amazing wildlife. When the war in Ukraine ends, I think it would be really cool to go there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's like become sort of this weird wildlife refuge like them.
Speaker 1: That's right. Remind me what Gorky Park is been.
Speaker 2: There's a song by the Scorpions called the Winds of Change, and there was an excellent podcast about how that was, like theoretically was meant to be, Like it was like a sleeper kind of like government implant to like create this sense of like you know, Russia, Russian kind of unity or something like that.
Speaker 1: There's a there's a park in Moscow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there's park, but the lyric is like something like down in Gorky Park and it's you know, the winds of Change.
Speaker 1: Ah. Yes, So they're probably there is funding from the FBI historically that goes into those sorts of hearts and minds, war of entertainment. So it might be something like that.
Speaker 2: That they never prove it unequivocally I believe in the podcast, but it is something that the lyric is. I follow the Muskva down to Gorky Park listening to the wind of Change an August summer night. Soldiers passing by listening to the Winds of Change. It's weird because the Scorpions were a German band, and it's just it's a really interesting podcast.
Speaker 1: What year was that song? This song came out in nineteen ninety Okay, that tracks for me, you know why because the Berlin Wall fell in nineteen eighty nine. That's right.
Speaker 2: So there's an article in the Guardian Winds of Change. Did the CIA write the Cold War's biggest anthem, Scorpions power ballad was the sound of the Iron curtains fall? But a new podcast explores rumors that it was propaganda.
Speaker 1: Nice and we're going to call it a day there. We can't wait to explore more of the things we thought we lost. Congratulations Max, Noel, Alex, it's our first clip show. Thank you guys for hanging out. Thanks our research associate, Max Williams, H Noel, thank you to you. Thank you to the quist, our own Cold War nemesis, H and Alex Williams.
Speaker 2: Who can goose maeah this bang and bop that you're hearing right betwixt your very hate right the CIA guys.
Speaker 1: Question question, question for you.
Speaker 3: So if the biggest Russian nuke was called the tsar Bamba.
Speaker 1: What would Strickland's name be if he was a nuke? It was Tarbalda. Ouch. Oh that's so mean. I mean, isn't that what we were going for? But he said he doesn't like called chrome dome and things like that. Yeahar Balda is a little more innocuous. Tom. He was on that episode, wasn't he He was on that episode. Well, that one's for you, Stric. Hope you are well. I can't wait for you to join us again soon on air. Pal Jonathan does have a lot of cool things he is cooking up, and maybe maybe if we can have a bit of an amnesty on air, he'll tell us about them. I'm sure we can do an armistice. We'll see you next time, folks.
Speaker 2: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.