Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to Software Radio, Special Operations, Military Nails. I'm straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 3: This is rad with another episode of soft Rep Radio, and today I have a very legendary guest. But first I have to mention we have a merch store that helps to keep that fireplace going and to keep me on the screen. If you go to soft rep dot com, check out the merchandise that we have available for you to purchase that's branded with our logo, things that you guys already love. Go check it out, Help support us, Click on something, send it to a gift, somebody just get something from the merch store.
Speaker 2: Also, we have a book club.
Speaker 3: Books are awesome, right, like this book right here, Call Me Hunter by Jim Shockey. Okay, and that is our guest today, Call me Hunter. Welcome to the show, Jim Shockey.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for having me. I'm excited.
Speaker 3: So the reason why you're so notoriously popular in your community is you like to like am I right?
Speaker 2: Black rifle? Hunt?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Excuse me, yes, black.
Speaker 4: Like Davy Crockett. You it's only a little bit modernized. That's how I made my name in our industry. But I use archery just as much a bow and arrow or rifle as well.
Speaker 3: Right, what do you enjoy really, you know, moving through the bush with you? Do you enjoy a compound bow? Do you enjoy the rifle muzzle style movement? What's your what do you like to there?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Gets snack?
Speaker 4: The ultimate ultimate hunters is archery. But when you're we've got a stick and a string and a and a point to errow, I mean you have to be close. So and as a hunter, if we're talking about hunting, that's what you want to do is get as close as possible to get that primal feeling of there's your quarry and you you know, I'll use this probably often touch your ancestral soul by being able to get that close to the animals. So, so archery is is is my You know that that's the ultimate in hunting, But it's also very difficult. Takes time.
Speaker 3: You feel like you're one with the animals that you're stocking and about to partake of and share. I'm sure you share the food with others, right of course.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we are all part of nature regardless of whether we live in downtown New York City up in a pentose. You know, if we think we're not we don't have an environmental footprint because we're vegan, and give me a break, right, of course, we're all part of nature. So so yeah, when you're in the wild winds, you you're as close as you can beat. You know, what we were hopefully what we will be in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly to that point. You know someone who myself.
Speaker 3: I really don't eat a lot of red meat at all, and I'll take some chicken here and there, But I would say that hunting it the way that you and others like that go out there the Cameron Hanes, yourselves of the world that go out and stalk these and then butcher it.
Speaker 2: You know a lot of self butcher.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you sell butcher or you know have of course, you know, I just feel that there's a little bit difference of what's in the supermarket versus what you're putting on your plate, Like why do I have to eat what's there? Why is somebody forcing me to eat that wrapped up food, you know, versus not? And I think a vegan is trying to do something right, and I think that the person hunting the animal that is doing something right. So everybody's going to leave a footprint. It's just at least somebody's trying to do something right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I agree, and they're standing for something right. I've got lots of friends that are vegans, and I think it's wonderful, but they also recognize that their soybean fields are monocultures that take away habitat for wadlers. The reality is there's eight billion of us in this world and there's you know, there's not enough in the way of resources, So we have to have industrial farming to feed the people live in the cities. Not everybody can go and do what I do, and it's not possible. Once we turned into an agrarian culture back ten thousand years ago, whatever anybody believes in jungle, then it's you know, we just started multiplying, and so we have to have cows and sheep and goats and pigs, and there has to be industrial farming, regardless of how people may or may not agree with the methods of raising those animals. But the reality is not everybody can be a vegan. Not everybody can be a hunter and hunter gatherer, right boot. So that's why we have the wrapped up pack. He doesn't thank goodness for the ranchers out there and the farmers. Otherwise, you know, those people in the city wouldn't have anything deep. You know.
Speaker 3: I just had a conversation with a Frank Kyle Bucket yesterday. He's a former Navy seal and I had him on the show and we were talking about that, and he was saying, you know, he just moved to Texas and for the first time he just like have to steer with his buddy out there. So he comes from the city where it's never like an option to have your fridge.
Speaker 2: Full of just your own food right there.
Speaker 3: He gets to Texas and it's like, hey, you want to half this with me, and it's like your food here it is, Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, sort of aside to that, I came from the other side of the spectrum where I grew up. I grew up in a trailer park out in Saskatchewan. Same and my dad didn't get his moose every fall. We didn't eat meat in the winter, so it was macaroni for us. And I didn't realize you could buy half the cow until I was in high school, and that's what I found out. Some of the other people, did you know when they didn't? You mean, if your dad doesn't get a moushie, just go buy meat. It just but but you know, so I come from the exact officeit spectrum, but just as incredulous that you could you could have.
Speaker 3: By your dad, like I'm not taking a knee. I'm getting that moose. I am not taking a knee.
Speaker 2: No, you won't.
Speaker 3: I've never taken a knee and you won't either. But getting something like that, you know, there's there's a I want to say, A holistic way of approach to the animal becoming your food is okay, right if you're doing it out of that respect.
Speaker 4: You know, it's okay for everybody. I tolerate, you know, for me, I think tolerance is the most important word going forward in this world. With eight billion of this week agree, we're going to have to understand that right and wrong as a cultural perspective, we all know what is right and what is wrong. We know that. I mean, you just you know that inside you. Cultural perspective is what I live this way. I live this way. You've got to agree with me and I don't. You know, I disagree with you, and you know I'm tolerant, but I don't agree with you. It's we have to actually be tolerant. So so I don't have a problem with how people eat from and what they believe in. And I think it's great. You know, we're going to have to start getting a long here at some point.
Speaker 3: Nowhere else to go, No, because that book right here, the call Me Hunter book, it prays on your psyche of you being out on these hunts and creating these thoughts. I have to feel like you know that have are coming into this book? Is am I kind of hitting on that, Like you're out there and you you know things, it's just you and no Internet, and you're like coming up with these ideas. Is that how this came to pass?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean honestly, I spent you when you're sitting on a mountain, yeah Kyrgustan somewhere, and you're waiting for hours and hours, you're you have time to center your focus, I guess, and I wanted to tell the story. It started when I was ten years old. There's a lot of this book is autobiographical, so that's in a way what you're asking is did some of these things happen or did you make them up? Or were they you know, did they just come out of thin air? Up? And the yeah, no, they I spent the time on those mountains figuring out a way to tell this story in a novel format. Autobiographical writing is pretty easy. It's just to me, it's not challenging. But but in a novel form that's challenging. So I spent a lot of time out in the mountains and the situations I was in, experiences that is all incorporated into this book. That's uh, this novel. That's why I wrote it, was to make it to blur the lines of reality and fiction. What what is real? Google it? Google? Go go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you say that, you say it says challenging.
Speaker 4: Right, you'll figure out what's what's real. And one I defy anybody to find things in there that aren't true. I mean they're good.
Speaker 2: Look, let me read this real quick.
Speaker 3: It says here on the back of your book that I got, I'm going to read this little blurb about you says Jim Shockey is a Canadian writer. Just serve my audience understands what you're a little bit your batackground his Canadian writer, worldwide adventurer, wilderness outfitter, television producer and host. I mean, you got a whole Swiss army knife of weaponry. You know where's the toothpick? It's right here here you go. You probably got one in that hat band or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I've lived one hundred miles an hour since I was I left home at seventeen and I've been on the road ever since.
Speaker 2: We're having at seventeen.
Speaker 4: Where'd you go?
Speaker 2: At seventeen?
Speaker 4: I went to university. I grew up in Saskatchewan and I had a little falling out with my mother. So I went to my dad and I said, look, either mom goes or I'm leaving you. And that was kind of he made the decision for me in a lot of ways. So I left the three hundred dollars in my pocket. I was a good athlete, so I actually called up the university, the coach of the swim team, and said, hey, I'm thinking about coming out there. The new entrance exams. No, I mean literally school was starting in about three days, and he said, I'll get you on the team with a scholarship. So I went out there with my three hundred dollars and applied for every bursary and scholarship I could. I was an IBM scholarship winner for the first two years.
Speaker 3: IBM, Yeah, IBM, I made fruit. I made this fruit, this fruit company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was. It was that port. I had no idea computer language drag got the IBM scholarship as well as my my sports scholarship to help pay my way. I just figured out a way to live. You know, all those different things. When you're saying, am I going, It's probably because I was unemployable. That's why I had to do so many different things in my life and figured out. But I also, you know, harkening back to my childhood, I had to listen to my mom and dad talk every dinner about whether Dad would get laid off, but we'd have the money when we finally did buy a house, whether we could afford the mortgage, or you would lose the house. I mean, this is as a tenueal I'm listening to this stuff, and I said, never ever will I live like that. You get one like and live my life on my urta. It's not with someone else standing over me dictating, you know, my happiness my joy. You know, it's one life. Everybody gets one life. And that's also what call me hunters. Is you get one life, So live it, live it because there's no reasons, as far as.
Speaker 3: We know, no Live it to the fullest. Get yourself on, get yourself on the cover. What is that outdoor life.
Speaker 2: Over your shoulder?
Speaker 4: Right there?
Speaker 2: Is that what I see?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right over there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, get yourself an author deal and call me hunter. And you know, I like to watch Arnold Schwarzenegger's documentary lately that he put out and he says, you know, I wanted to be on the cover of Hercules, and so I just focused on how to be him, the guy that was Hercules on the cover of Hercules the movie when he was sixteen years old in Austria.
Speaker 2: And he's like, what does he do? How do I get on the cover?
Speaker 3: And then he just focused and focused and focused and focused and just lifted and lifted it. Never was happy with himself, even though we were happy with him.
Speaker 4: You know, that was an interesting documentary. I love the guy I loved I do. He just was a guy who lived his life. He truly lived his life, and he set goals for himself and he's still setting goals. And Governor of California, who in a million years would have thought that, he thought it because he set it as a goal. And you know, I'm sitting here right now in our Hand of Man Museum on Vancouver Island. It's a seventeen thousand square foot facility that I envisioned when I was ten years old. I was going to write a novel and I was going to do this museum, this of Man museum, and that's a goal that has come to fruition. But it took me another fifty five years, so more than half a century of focusing on that goal to make it, to realize it. And Arnold's fortunately I'm not comparing him with me other than I think at one point I got my paths to be half as big as That's It's the funny two story was I was caught in a cabin you got lizarded out in North British Columbia. And in that cabin it was like an old trappers cabin. There was one magazine and we were trapped there for almost two weeks and it was a muscle magazine. I don't know why the trapper had a muscle magazine. But they also they had all the measurements in that magazine of all these you know bodybuilders, and the only one that I beat on any measurement. I'm a little guy who like six ' three and way two twenty. The only measurement that I beat any of those muscle people on was my calves. I beat the one woman bodybuilder and that was it. Those guys are freaks. So it's uh, you know, like I said, I'm not I will never compare myself Donal, but I do really respect the way he said his life, that goals for himself and attain those goals if you don't put another way through. People come in our museum and they see, you know, there's some of my history on the walls. It's not about me at all, but there's pictures, and you know, they think, wow, you've lived this amazing life and you've done this. And I say, well, you know, if you drive in one direction for half a century and don't take any side roads, you end up somewhere. And this is where I ended up because I did the same thing. You know, different goals in armor, obviously you can tell them.
Speaker 3: But up here, though, you could have it up here you can tell me have mental toughness.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, and there's things that are you know, I have choices in my life all the way along those side side roadside.
Speaker 2: Oh, so many side roads.
Speaker 4: You want to have a hundred million dollars, million dollars. Yeah, that's just you have to take this room. Well it's there. That's not my goal, you know. I mean we did well. It was never my goal to waste my life.
Speaker 3: Have living your life is your goal. Live experience, Yeah, same, same. That's why I get to do this, this this gig. I get to have a great conversation with you and from another country and show my lif that it's okay to have just a great conversation and tolerance with one another on any of the subjects that may be. Just tolerance. Like you said, we need to pass that out there to people.
Speaker 4: You know. I love that this this world today, we're so so divisive out there, and when you actually look at it to say, well, I'm tolerant and you're just you know, you're not agreed with my point of view, but I'm the tolerant. Wait a minute. If you think they're not agreeing with your point of view, it means you're intolerance, and that's everybody looking at it each way. You know, we just have to say okay, I get it, you know.
Speaker 3: And then everybody just gets a label put on them if they just think one thing against the other person. It's like, oh, you're this whole thing, You're this whole side. It's like, no, I just have a difference of opinion on something, but we can, you know, rationally have a conversation. They used to say, don't talk about two things at the dinner table here, and that's politics and religion. And it's like, wamn, let's just do the opposite.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, my sisters is the same family, total opposites. I mean, you know, she she was a librarian, says I have a big footprint, blah blah blah. And you know, there was a lot of years, it was probably twenty years where we just didn't talk. I mean I didn't think it was me, and she probably didn't think it was her. It wasn't until I wrote this book, called me Hunter, because she's librarian she respects of course, that suddenly it was, you know, suddenly I did something that she could understand and and wrap her head around and have respect for. And that was the catalyst that allowed her and I to start talking again and civilized, you know. And she has her point of view on politics.
Speaker 2: Well your siblings too, and so there's that, you know, of course, and.
Speaker 4: We're diametrically opposed in that. You know, my dad was of the same you know, political leanings as she was and she is, and you know, him and I would talk and it would always end up with this same same conversation. And that's his part in comment, well, you're just stupid and that you know, of course, because yeah, but I mean, I was just trying to point out a way and here's a tiny little flaw when you're thinking here, like, you know, we need business because without business, you know, you can't just give your give because who gives if there's nobody employeede, if there's nobody, nobody making money on the business side.
Speaker 3: I mean, but if there's people making money on the business side, they should give.
Speaker 2: Give, give a little bit. I'm just saying, okay, gives that a little you know what.
Speaker 4: But really, you know what's funny about that is Carl Marx said, he said, from those according to their ability to those according to their need. So you bring that same conversation. And you know, Karl Marx, are you kidding your quoting Carl Marx in a conservative business meeting. But the reality is he's right about that. If you can, you should. And you know, our museum here's seventeen thousand square feet and it's filled with I couldn't even value with tens of millions of dollars with the stuff, and we're my wife and I are giving it all the way to a foundation. And down look, the cover expenses for the next forty years right now, donation only because I grew up in a trailer park and I could not have come in for a one dollar cover charge, but for donation, I could have brought it in a grasshopper. And you know, so this will never have a cover charge, so that somebody out there that doesn't have money, that can't afford to come in and still enjoy it. A little boy came in the other day with a moose tooth that involved and that was his donation, and he was, you know, this little boy who knows what he'll do in the next fifty years. This museum may have inspired him. So this we're making sure that this museum will be around for the next forty years and you know, all expenses covered, so it will always be donation. And it's it's because we can't you know what am I going to do? Have a giant grass sale or yeah?
Speaker 2: No, just keep it all together. Yeah, just keep it going.
Speaker 4: Yeah, keep it going and give it away. And that's you know, I think, are you know the business side of things. I my sister's things. I see and I agree with some of the points, you know, but I think the business also has to open up their mind and say, okay, yeah, we you know, we have billions. What are you going to do with billions of dollars? Make a legacy that you know, ourself play forever. It means give it away, you know, give it away. And yeah, I think I'm hoping some of these very wealthy people will recognize that. And you know, taxes aren't necessarily the way to do it. They should just do it. And you know there's probably a billionaire O they're sitting ABU my EXAC DAYNOL for.
Speaker 3: Me too, right, the taxes. I felt like we're a ton this year for my business. I don't want them to go to a Patriot missile that gets its wires ripped out Okay, that's not where I want my tax dollars to go. I want my tax dollars to go hopefully to those that are on the programs that are using the tax dollars. Right, that's if that's the case. Like my fellow neighbor not to ripped out wires in a Patriot missile, bro I don't want that. That's a waste of tax dollars.
Speaker 4: All of us. I don't think there's any of us has a problem with paying taxes up here in Canada where I'm you know, where I'm reaching out to you from. You know, I just see it's so sad what they use the money for. And it's to create jobs. Well, they create jobs that aren't really productive jobs. They're just you know, paying each other to do, you know, shuffle paper. I shuffled over here. What your job is to divide it up into stacks, and your job is now to number the stacks. And your job is to now put the stacks back in another file. And what was produced And this is this is a bit of a problem. This is where I'm leaning towards the business side. Well, they productive, let's produce something whatever that happens to be, whether it's just picking up garbage along the side of the road or fixing a scream so the salmon can come up. I don't care. But moving papers around just for the sake of creating employment is not. And that's what bother.
Speaker 3: And it could be condensed to like maybe one person. You know, you have all these different offshoots. They could be doing other things that are more productive.
Speaker 4: You could probably condense it to a quarter of a person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and do that and three other a thumbtape, one person, yeah, trusting.
Speaker 4: Don't get me started on that. Because we're in the production business up here in Canada and it's it's just astounding. I mean, it's socialized, so we can't produce like I can for the States, you know, where it's based on what I can produce as good as I can. And if I can save money on something and do it and do it better production and do it this way, great, do it. If I can do it with four people, great. So here we have to hire this person, this person, this, and it's mandated by the government who we have to do it, so you don't make money, Well, what's the motivation that they're creating them? Good?
Speaker 2: So like here in Utah.
Speaker 3: We have like if you bring the crew here SAG or whoever it is, you know, SAG Union style, et cetera, you have to hire seventy five percent Utah Utah's for the crew or in cast, right, and then you can bring in the outside ours. Is that kind of what you're touching on is having these types of rules over your production company that are yeah like.
Speaker 4: That, I mean, I you know, and this is this is the other side of the flip side of it. I get it. You know. I don't want someone from California coming in with ten semi trailers, all California Los Angeles people and walking out of my wilderness to take videos on the beautiful mountains. You know, why would you have people that are local? So I get that side of it too, you know. So, but there's some kind of a common sense balance and there. You know, it shouldn't be forced to hire so many people that you can't make a living at it, because then you don't do it. You know, it should be government money that's that allowing you to do it that way, which is what happens up here. But I do get that. I mean, you know, if we're we're in the first nations we call them up here, you guys call Native Americans. Okay, So if we're in there, you know, territories and their land, why not hire them too, Exactly, if they're living there, let's let's bring the money into the community. I'm all fortant. I've seen that work all over the world, which is part of the reason I'm a proponent for hunting as a conservation tool around. Think what the dollars do you know? New schools, teachers, doctors that can come in, they build roads, they actually get a vehicle, they can hire someone to you know, watch over the wild to manage it. These are all these are all good things for the community. It comes about because money comes in from the outside. So so I'm like I said, there's a common sense on all this that we need to somewhere, you know, find common ground in Again, it takes tolerance, listening to somebody's point of view exactly.
Speaker 3: And here in Utah, the hunt for just regular deer. You know, your buck and your do deer. Actually it's probably just buck during the fall seasons coming up. You know, you have to get tagged for that. You have to get a permit. Like so we do you get a deer hunting license. Right, you go through all those safety requirements to get your hunter's head, hunters safety et cetera. You apply for your permit, but it's only in certain areas. Back in the day, when my dad used to go out and hunt for deer and I'd go with them on his side, it was like, let's.
Speaker 2: Just go we're going to go out, we're going to drive out.
Speaker 3: We're just going to get out of the car and hike into the mountains and see what we find.
Speaker 2: But now it's like more structured.
Speaker 3: You have to go to this piece of the puzzle and your permit's only good for this area. What do you think about that? Do you think as conservation of a hunter? Do you think you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course, of course I do.
Speaker 2: That's just checking.
Speaker 4: The you know. Again, it goes back to that there's eight billion of us in this world, and about forty years ago there was less people. True, you know, there is more availability for the wildlife resource, but if you're going to have wildlife surviving into the future, you've got to manage it. Anyone that thinks that there's any larger species of animal in this world that isn't managed right now by science is just out to lunch. Every single name, whales right right down to rabbits. It's all managed. So when you have so many people and the supply is so limited nowadays, then you have to manage it. And that's that's why they have these various rules and regulations. I mean, on top of the fact that I think it was a good thing. You know it was. It was pretty wild West back when I grew up, when you know, when I went out with my dad sixty years ago and it was really wild West. It was a bang bang bang, And you know, I mean I knew a few people that have been shot, you know, accidentally, you know, accidental discharges. You know, that kind of thing needed to be regulated and people need to be educated that go here in the fire arm. You know, you better know how to use that thing, and you better be able to identify the animals. Dad's day, you know, they just shot whatever they saw. They didn't worry about that rules and regulations.
Speaker 2: You know that that was it was food.
Speaker 4: It was food. It was a hamburger running across the field. You know, that can't be that's not sustainable into the future. It's got to be. You know, there's got to be a spiritual relationship with the animal for the people that actually hunt them. In my opinion, I think the food is a big part of it, or eight part, but certainly there has to be you know, different higher level respectful an animal than maybe what my dad had.
Speaker 3: For you know, I like to say, at the end of the day, we're all living on this earth, we would be a triatarian.
Speaker 2: A triatarian means I would try.
Speaker 3: To do anything and eat anything to live, right, if there's nothing around, you're gonna do what you have to do. Because a hungry person is a hungry person, and they're like, all of a sudden, you go from oh I just eat lettuce to like, hmm, that squirrel.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like I'm hungry. My tummy and my head tell me to get that squirrel. Both my brains are telling me to eat that thing.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: It's just you know, I feel that if I was to hunt it in Alaska, per se, Right, let's just go with that thought process. I would shoot the elk, do all of it's you know, butchering to the elk, and then leave the rest of it there to let it go on to its journey. I feel like that's how I would want to be as that hunter. You know, have some kind of that connection. That's why I was saying, do you feel like you have a connection when you take the animal?
Speaker 2: You know, it's like you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: You percent do it, and you're also when you're part of nature. That that's the balance. I mean, the wolves have to eat, the grizzly bears, you know, they're scavengers, any teat the bowls any but you know, any any of the wolverines, the smaller creatures, they all need to eat as well, so they you know, no part of an animal is wasted, even if you know it doesn't have to go through a human gut, it's still it's going to be used in the in the wildlands. And then when you're partaking of that, when you're embracing that part of nature, then it just becomes honestly natural. You know, bits and pieces you leave. Now, you know, back to your point in the Triataran, which I love, I may borrow that down. Yeah, if you were truly starving, I mean those other creatures become food too, and I mean that gut pile becomes bait to bring those other creatures in. I mean, you're and whatever is the bait, there's probably the smell that's left because you're going to eat everything that, you know, the testine is aligning the tripe or whatever you're going to eat at the call fat, I eat that anyway. The liver, chidney's all out of you already nos tongue. I mean, that's those are delicacies.
Speaker 3: Let alone being super hungry and just looking at it and saying I'm gonna eat it.
Speaker 2: You're like, hey, I already eat that.
Speaker 3: But when you're hungry and the only thing you have left is just yeah.
Speaker 4: A gain to your point, if you travel much and you're in places like West Africa, China, there's no you around the people. There's no there's no animals, there's no birds. Why well, because they've been eating because people are hungry, and that that is that's our biggest issue we're going to have to face at some point on the road.
Speaker 2: You just opened my mind just now.
Speaker 3: Literally, I didn't even think that the reason why it would be scarce is because they're just eating it all right. It's like there's a there's a lake out here that was man made in one of the communities and they opened it to fishing, and everybody comes around, has fished it all out to take it home.
Speaker 2: And eat all the fish, you know, like it's like what do you expect?
Speaker 3: And then the people that live there, like, where's all the fish?
Speaker 4: And you know what, that's just the fish that we consider to be edible game fish. You know, there's the trash fish. They're probably still there, but I'll guarantee you that there'll be people that are catching those right now and eating those as well. Correct. I eat gar I think they're excellent. And if you go to these four foreign countries where people are truly hungry, their nets are designed to catch fish down to one inch, a little tiny little like crustacean shrimp that are they're so tiny we wouldn't even consider. But they get a little handful of them that goes in their suit. That's protein when you're hungry. That's the absolute truth. You'll eat anything, and all the rest is ideology to go by the wayside when the time comes, you know, and I there's going to be a spiritual relationship with the animal. That's a luxury, you know, it's it's a luxury until you know you really truly believe that this animal is is you need it to survive, then you're going to have a relationship with it where you're going to put it on a pedestal and deify it. So it's yeah, it's uh, it'll be an interesting world in the future when depending on what happens, you know, they may come a day and my wife doesn't hunt, she will fly out the door. I mean, we're total office. This lady trapped beauty beasts. She had never heard of a flee but she says, why would she hunt? You know, I bring the food home, so there's no need for her. She said, if her family was hungry, she would kill. She would go to eat. And anybody with like I say, the ideologies they say, I would, I'll start to that, you know, right, I mean, I'm not saying there isn't people that you know that won't like themselves on fire to show their faith in something or to protest. There are, but they are the extreme outer you know, tiny, tiny, tiny minority the rest, but are going to do exactly what you say. That's that thing's moving, that thing's protein. I'm hungry, I tell me, he says, I'm hungry. My brain says, if I don't need it. We're going to kill it and need it. And I mean you don't have to go very far back in history, and probably happening right now today somewhere where someone's in a place where they're starving and their buddy right next to them, they're starting to look pretty tasty.
Speaker 3: Well, we have that big thing back in the day called the daughter party here that Americans always talk about in school, the Daughter Party. They couldn't get over the past, and they wound up eating each other.
Speaker 4: This is Franklin. You know that this is the expedition up on the Arctic, that this is over and over Greenley. They just name them, name them.
Speaker 3: They even probably had some guys that ate themselves.
Speaker 4: Okay, Shot, Shot is the one guy that I mean, he's the best of the best. Me. He brought his men through that, I mean, just anybody so I and you know they didn't be great down into the Lord of the flies where you know we're gonna kill Piggy or whatever the name is it. Yeah, that's it. He was. He ruled and I mean that's shockledon me. Was one of the greatest leaders that this world has ever seen.
Speaker 2: Explore hunter Gatherer, the whole nine yards.
Speaker 4: And you know, yes, he was part of the British Empire, so there. You know, they were calmnists and they did a lot of things that nowadays we look back, but we weren't living in those days.
Speaker 3: You know what I tell folks when I come into that conversation. I have a friend, a Native American down here, and I said, you know, I'm sorry for what happened. I didn't do any of that. I don't know how to atone for that, but I'll be a good steward of what I have today for the future. And he's like, that's cool, bro, that's what's up, you know, because I was like, I don't know how to tell you or make amends or tell you I'm sorry for that.
Speaker 2: That's not me. I'm today.
Speaker 3: So if I have land here, I'm gonna take care of it in that namesake because I can't help it.
Speaker 4: No, And you what you end up with is a virtue signaling by by people that are trying to look like they're but they're not going to give up their land either, you know they you know they'll and I'm talking about white people that are there.
Speaker 2: You know that's me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't I'm in that category, right, all right, it is what it is.
Speaker 4: It is what it is, and it's happened all over the world, all through history, all the continents except Antarctica that we know. You know, it's just it's what happens. And and I'm sure that all through Ganghis Khan probably sat there and you know, felt terrible of what he did.
Speaker 3: I don't know, maybe he did a trillionaire. Genghis Khan his empire had a trillion dollars. He had so much money back then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he makes ales under the great look like a kindergarten student.
Speaker 3: I mean trillion. You know, it's like I can't. I don't know that money is just that's just an I will. I learned the.
Speaker 4: Word back in the day. You know, that's eight hundred years ago. So I I mean, it's, uh, the world's going to be an interesting place going forward. As I said, we better start thinking about it in common sense terms, not in ideological terms, because we're going to be facebook it at some point, and I think i'd rather be prepared. And I'm not a preppy guy, but but but to think that it's going to continue, it's just it's just not I mean, it's just not it's we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna have ordage in the sand, like the head and the sand and the asses out to be shot.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like here's your target, but I don't see it coming. Oh, submarine down, one bubble, go ahead.
Speaker 4: I have to keep this on. My wife's not well. This last year and ten months has been pretty rough for her obviously and for our family. So I have my phone on for that was the hospital, and I just have to be I have no matter what I'm doing, the world ends at that moment. It's you know about Louisa. I have to deal with that so well.
Speaker 3: I love to you and your family right now for whatever on your mind. Just so you know that thanks for being the facing your company and pushing forward for your museum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we're all we're all going to face. Mortality is something that's been able to avoid yet there's been what eight or nine billion of us have gone through it already, and there's eight billion of us on this sort of right now that are going to go through it. And again the ostrich's in the sand. You stick your head in the sand and think that's not going to happen. You know it is going to happen. I mean, it's every single one of us is going to have to deal with us at some level. You know. Jordan Peterson, I think, said that, you know every person that you know is going through or is going through great sorrow, and you know that's stuff. To deal with it, you just do your best and you you start to realize and every day is precious and don't squander a single day. It's it's you know, there's no reasons, so don't don't waste it. And that's what we've tried to do through this whole time. And they gave her three months to live a year and ten months ago. So I was with her minutes before I raced the podcast of Headwick back Home and and you know what, it's it's a beautiful day. It's a beautiful day. We sat and had coffee and looked out over and land and you know, watch the hawk take a round it in front of us. And I mean, it's just don't let tomorrow steal today, and we're not letting that happen. So but what it does, it's caused me to get phone calls in the middle of Hope podcast Possible, So again.
Speaker 2: I have no, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 3: I think that's actually wholesome and I'm glad that you opened up a little bit about that and you said at the beginning of the show, You're like, hey, rad I'm here to talk to you and get to know you too, and thanks for just being real about it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We like there's a band called Alison Chains. You may have heard of it, and they have a quote in their song that says we're born into the grave, and so you know, there's a thing about that, so we all know it. It's just you got to own it and you got to move forward with it. You can't dwell on it. You just got to live today because today is what you have in front of you right now.
Speaker 4: Comes back to having a goal. You're going to do that, you know, then set a goal for yourself. Don't waste the time that we have unless that's your goal. I mean, Ferdinand the bullets out there and sniff flowers all day long. And if someone wants to go sniff flowers for the whole life.
Speaker 3: That flowers, just foresee it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I love sniffing flowers that bring for my wife every single day and always have, no matter where I've been around the world. We've been married thirty nine years. Soulmates. I was hit over heels and love to day. On our first date, I knew he was going to marry her. And I'm even warm love now, and I all around the world. I picked flowers for no matter where, I don't know. I get my cameraman or do a selfie holding the flowers and making a little heart sign, and you know, I can't get them back to her because I knew I was doing this forty years ago, thirty years ago, twenty years You couldn't just send the text message with the flower. But when I got home, I could give her all these flower pictures, and you know, so, yeah, I think there's something to be said for that too. It's just I'm not gonna spend my life in them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, right right.
Speaker 3: Now, being out in the field seeing some flowers, and then all of a sudden you see the beast you're tracking right, You're like, oh, hey, these flowers remind me of my wife. Wait, what's that? Oh there it is, I'm hunting that. And then you're out of the flowers and you're right in to focus on it, right, And so you got your archery. You got your compound bow. Are you using a are you using a release? Are you using a trigger release system? Is that how you roll?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean I'm old enough that when I started it was it was fingertab fingers. Yeah. I was originally long bows. I mean, reakers were just started. I mean they've been aroun a long time. But my first bow was a long bow. And but I you know, nowadays, just for the accuracy, you know, I don't use a thumb release. I use a finger trigger release. Yeah, you know, I I embraced the modern But I'm no techie guy. There's guys that you know. I couldn't even set up my own bowl properly. I have someone that's an expert do that for me. I can site it in and I can shoot it, you know, but I can't. I'm not a techie guy.
Speaker 3: On a pounding what pound are you pulling on your on your bow for like say an elk?
Speaker 4: You know nowadays I shoot sixty sixty yeah, but in the older days it would be seventy eight. But teventy two was about where I sat most of the time. But you know, nowadays they've got the science down with the cams, so it's an art. So they they know sixty pound bow now is the same as a ninety pound bowl back in the day in terms of energy. So you know, just the arrows. Everything is better technology there.
Speaker 3: Just more dynamic, it's less. Less muscle happened to pull that back? I remember my dad got a compound bow. He was so excited. My dad was a former Green Beret, and so he always wanted to go out and do a little hunting. And he'd go do this pond in Kaysville, Utah here and four or five in the morning, he'd be out there and he'd just be throwing darts at carps and they'd have the prongs that popped out and it would reel on his compound bow. But it was a seventy five pound bow. He's like, all right, little Aaron, my son, go ahead and pull that back. I'm like, I just trying so hard. And then he would just do it and the ease back right back, and I was just like, oh, Dad, you're the man. Seventy five pounds is what he was pulling on that.
Speaker 4: There's technique involved to a mini user. Here's your big muscles. So most people trying and pull up their arm.
Speaker 3: You can't you go, You got to really pull it back.
Speaker 4: They open your chest up. But you know nowadays for archery for fish, I mean I was shooting a hundred pound guard elegator guard now on the Mississippi River a couple of years, five years ago, count five years ago that you use twenty eight pounds because you don't want to blow the harpoon point right through the fish. You wanted to get into the skin and then be able to reel it back in. So yeah, twenty eight pounds, And that's something for anybody that's interesting. Archery is is one of the fastest growing parts or components of our hunting gathering world is archery for fish. I don't know what they call it. Fish bowl deep covering is the greatest archer that I've met in the world. And Steve has designed a new fishing archery bowl. That's his big thing. I was going all over trying to get these crazy species of fish, you know, which most of them are considered trash fish by you know, the game for they wouldn't but yeah, it's it's a Your dad was way way ahead of his time doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was eight Yeah, eighty eight. I think he got that compound bow from a pawn shop. He just saw it and said, I'll take that. He knew Rambo was huge in the theaters. Come on, he's a Green Beret. He's gonna be getting a compound bow.
Speaker 4: I just watched I just watched First Blood the other day. After all these years, it's still a great movie.
Speaker 2: Great movie.
Speaker 4: So left salone. So he was great. Yeah, he's he was great then and he's still great. He's he's a cool guy.
Speaker 3: They drew First Blood, not me. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, growing up on that, I remember seeing it in a beta it was like a red Oh that was red Don. Red Don was a red VHS tape. Now I'm getting all stuck in the eighties here on my movies. But yeah, Rambo dude. First Blood, First Blood, Part two, First Blood, Part three, First Blood, Part four, Last Blood.
Speaker 4: I think in the Arnold documentary they had they had Sylvester on there talking about how you know he had to kill more people and you know that will kill more than the idiot. Yeah, those are the eighties were.
Speaker 3: What I need to kill one hundred and fifty people in this movie because he killed one hundreds and forty nine is the last one, and so I need to kill a least one hundreds and fifty he says, you know, it's a terminator.
Speaker 4: I don't think that they'd be competing, but I guess, you know, it's competition at the level a game setting goals. I want to be the best in the world. Well, if that means.
Speaker 3: Doing movies and killing people, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kill lots of people. But in the in the eighties, it didn't really seem like that to me. The violence I see nowadays on TV there's one hundred times worse than that. Stuff that was kind of cartooning almost. I mean they look cartoon.
Speaker 3: Because we've become jaded to this kind of barbarianism of you know, the UFC. You know, used to be a video that you had a rent in a video store that was behind the curtain. You'd be twenty one to get this movie that had all these different types of acts going on it.
Speaker 2: And that was where UFC was.
Speaker 3: And I'm not blaming everything on that, but we get so jaded seeing these violent acts. Now we see where one hundred and fifty guys get killed in an old Rambo movie, Today's violent acts are far worse than that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so. See you know in the video games, I mean that's one hundred and fifty, it's like you better do that in the first twenty seconds or.
Speaker 2: You're level it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's yeah, yeah, we're in your to that. We've compartmentalized it and think about it that. Well, that's a light and I don't know, maybe it's.
Speaker 3: Well if you look at these, you know, combat sports that are out there, kids never really look to play combat sports. They played baseball, football, soccer. But the generation today that are the nine and twelve year olds are saying, I want a career in that UFC. The guys that were in UFC didn't come from that. They came from like bull riding or like boxing and martial arts, you know, kickboxing, bloodsport.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so underground, you know, I mean that by year that was just how you survived in school. You didn't want to get beat up. Well, you better fight back. You know, it's they're gonna it's gonna happen at some point. It was, but things have changed. I mean, you can't you know that what we did back in those days, you'd be kicked out of school forever. You know, never allowed back in. So you know, times change. I don't know way talk to me in a thousand years or ten thousand years old right where we do this podcast. Well, remember we said that, boy would be I'm saying that, but boy will we pressing when we said that, you.
Speaker 2: Know exactly, Darry Arnold swasive.
Speaker 3: You listen to me today, play me on your VCA tomorrow, but listen to me at some point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and all those things we're talking about right and wrong, talk to me in a million years. We can't even fathom that. Like, our brains don't compute that. We can look back, you know, maybe fifty years and so oh, and then we forget about what happened beyond that. Even most people someone us look a hundred some of historians look back on ten thousands. We talked about Inkers Khan. Our brains don't fathom a million years. And that's why we're not a cosmic event. We'll figure this out one way. It will be figured out for us. You know, we can't continue to have eight billion and we're gonna have sixteen billion thirty two eight. I mean, that's naive to think that's going to happen. So so you know, we'll revisit all this, and.
Speaker 3: It's easy to make it seem like it's an infestation of the space rock that we're just this bacteria that's just going to like like eat it away and turn it into Mars.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it won't happen because nature is such a powerful, powerful force, you know, on this earth. I mean nature will it. We're an experiment wins. Yes, yeah, I mean yes. And you know, people of faith, there's a reasonaly of faith, because you got to believe there's something out there for sure there is. You can't deny it.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, look just look up right all the all of our ancestors and all of those folks that came from like the Mayans, and all of the different you know, from all across the different areas of the world right where they find these different symbols that people looking up or trying to find something greater from different cultures, but they're like the same designs.
Speaker 4: You know. It's like, sure we are, we're products of the creative force that, you know, God, whatever it is. I'm not you know, my own beliefs or my beliefs. I'm not judging other people for their beliefs. But but you sit them in nature, in that cathedral, it is nature in the wildlands. You can't help but get with the flow and understand that this is there's a greater, bigger picture here that we're that you know, we think we're important. But again, talk in ten thousand years.
Speaker 3: Oh, I stood on the edge of a waterfall at Yellowstone, you know, not too close, don't come at me, close enough to know that that's the earth churning to know that if I fell in there, I'm done.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I stood on the on the lip of the crater of the volcano on Red Bull that you know, it blew up in the nineties, and it just blew up recently again. You know, when I looked down into that and this wasn't a bubbly, pretty law and pretty orange. This was like a power I can't even describe. It's indescribable to look down and this the power of this earth. You are insignificant. I mean, there's I just I was at that point. You just realized how truly nothing we are and what this earth wants. And I mean it was shooting up boulders and size the bolkswagons up into their moom Hoom and the Balkans were on a on another mountain about twenty miles away, and you know, we want over then first, and they gave us instruments because they wouldn't go up. They said, this thing is going to go at some point and we're not going out there. But if you wouldn't mind taking these instruments.
Speaker 2: Up, yeah, just get a little dip in there.
Speaker 4: Would you think it was? It was down below us. I got to the rim. There's there's video, you know, like I'm I screamed that, you know, because I you know, I will not feel fear. And that's what this The power of that was. To me an upfront, it was trying to make me feel fear. Insignificant, fine, but never never fear. I don't care how powerful something is or how dangerous or how much trouble, and I'm not going to feel fear. But I mean, it was every ounce of my body just will not. I was screaming it back in this noise. I mean, we're lucky it didn't it didn't explode. Then it did a few months later and we were been vaporized. My wife because I had her son there as a videographer.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're pulling everyone. It's like, come with me.
Speaker 4: But it was you realize the power of the earth when you're truly on that edge. And that's that was a literal and figurative edge. This Earth is not it will always be here. The energy of this Earth may change in form dinosaurs. You know, the biomounts is still here. The energy is still here, it's just a different form, and we release that amount of this energy. I mean again, this is the science. Well, you start getting deep into philosophical talk here. And I spent a lot of time on the mouth, so I had a lot of time.
Speaker 3: You said, I like that I snowboard. My snowboards are just right here behind me, right there, my wife and mine right above the pink bunny on the table right there. And so we're always in the mountains, always in the snow, always writing, always seeing crystals of snow just glittering in our faces as we're just in this snow globe. I'm sure you've been in a snow globe while you're out there in the middle of nowhere and it's just snowing, and you're just like, this is a really pristine environment, and you know, it's just mesmerizing. Not only are you out there doing your hunt, but you're just you're just connecting. I hate to say it like that, but you are, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: And again, I was just in Toronto here a couple of days ago. I had to put down for a five minute interview, and as I was heading back to the airport, I videoed the high rise after high rise after high rise after high rise, and there were artment buildings. I mean, it's just people living twenty thirty stories on top of each other, you know, four or five or eight to the level I don't even know. And I actually I don't say I felt sorry, but I felt melancholy because those people when when will they ever feel that, you know that you're talking about on the mountain of snow. You know they'll see it going by the window on the thirtieth floor, but they to actually again, get in touch with your ancestral soul. How do you do that in a major city. I guess maybe you go on a holiday.
Speaker 3: You know, to try to go on an expedition. You pay somebody to take you out and hope that they can give you that solace of mental stability that I get from being out in the mountains.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course it isn't and it's centering. Yeah, but it sure makes sense why things are so divisive nowadays, because there's people like you, people like me that live our lives out there and get it. You know, at least we think we get it. I think I get it, And you know, there's people live in the city and they look at us like you guys are freaks, Like you know, what restaurant did you last night? We get to go to this fanciest club that's so hard to get into, and we got in. You know, that's their reality and that's where they find their solace. I guess. You know.
Speaker 2: I've been in that fancy club. You know, I've been to it.
Speaker 3: I've been like, hey, come here, let me show you something that you have to have this secret pass on your phone to show this guy. Then you have to have another secretass on the show this guy. And then this is what they want to show you. And it's a it's a concrete jungle. Yeah, that's their jungle.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And again I don't know, I've done both. Yeah, both restaurants where you're supposed to wait. The chef is a hunter, you know, so you get in there. And it's great, you know, it's wonderful. But would I stand in line from eight in the morning to hopefully get in for a bunch maybe at one in the afternoon because it's the place to eat at. I mean, however, people are sitting on it. I saw thirty six days last year, every day from dawn till noon, got off stand for two hours, and then went back one stand until dark, thirty six days in a row. Because I was after one particular white tailed deer, saw lots of other deer, saw rabbit, squirrels, saw you know, kayak, saw incredible moose. Flok finally said, that's my beautiful reality. And you know, thirty six days, what a waste of time if you're in the city looking at my world, you know, in my life and saying that's what did you accomplish? What did you do? You know, there's nothing. What was your job?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean to them, it's got to look just as as weird as you know, living on top of the other stack mile a mile of just high rises. So so again that that's I can see why there's divisiveness in this world nowadays, because how can they possibly relate to what you know what I can relate to and how am I supposed to relate to make me live? I would you to me, it's a prison, and it would be a tomb, especially when you you know, when you know someday we are going to get a natural pandemic, and you know, that's a tomb. It's just what level of the tomb you're going to be.
Speaker 3: So we just kind of live through that, you know, and uh, you know, we got to prepare ourselves for just living our life today.
Speaker 2: Because now we're back to society.
Speaker 3: People can go out and explore and be a little more freer than it was. And so I mean we should take advantage of that and just go get outside.
Speaker 2: You know, my buddy, he's.
Speaker 3: A rock star and he travels all over and when he's home for longer than like thirty days, it's nothing personal. It's just that he has to be back on the road. He just has to be going. It's not personal to anybody. He's not here to not see me or see anybody. He's just like I'll see him at a show. Hey what's up, bro. He's like, Hey, what's up.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: It's like I don't even have to go to his house, he just has to go. And he's one guy that'll say I've been everywhere, but nowhere. At the same time, he's like, I get to go all these places, these big, huge arenas, but I don't get to like really go explore and see the Appalachian Mountains or go into anywhere past the Toronto Arena, you know what I mean. So it's like kind of stuck in this nine to five of that, but has to always be going. And it seems like you are too. And are you saying that you're seventy years old? Is that what you're telling me when you said sixty years ago? Yea, sixty five, sixty five, So you've been doing this, You've been staying the course in your life for sixty five years. So I just want to let my listener know that there's advice to be taken from him because he is sixty five years old. Okay, So he has lived his life through trees, through storms, through scaling cliff sides from hunting and gathering, and you know, having executive producers tell him what lighting he needs.
Speaker 4: Okay. Yeah, I was always my own executive producer, so so I was on the point. Was they said a lot earlier in this podcast. So I had never had a boss telling me that I have to do this or you know, I made sure I did it the way I wanted to do it, and it's yeah. I mean, at ten years of age, I knew what I would do, but I wanted to accomplish my life, what goals I wanted to achieve, and I kept focused on those the entire time. But one was the novel Call Me Hunt Roy.
Speaker 2: It's exactly right.
Speaker 4: I started that. I started my first novel when I was ten years old. I wrote, you know, I got a book ten pages in and said, I haven't lived a life yet. You know, I can barely write. I couldn't even read before that. The game it's all and call me Hunter because it's fairly autobiographical. The uh yeah I had, I had you'll you'll find it there. I had to live life first, and that I penned the first words have called Me Hunter back in ninety two, ninety three, you know, as your Bago was dead, I hunted them down and I killed them and I started writing, and I, you know, realize still I had not lived enough life, even though I lived another thirty years from when I first started forty years. You know, I need to get out there and keep going until I had a story to tell. And that's that, you know, that's what that that novel is is. You know you said I'm sixty five. Yeah, I'm sixty five because I it literally took me that long to live the life I needed to live to be able to have a story to tell that would be interest anybody. And I didn't want to make it up out of the blue, which is a game. Why I said, go ahead. You know there's there's lines in there that I know people are gonna say, Okay, that's bullshit, not both that's true.
Speaker 2: Check it out.
Speaker 3: It's call me Hunter, all right and Jim Shocky, Jim, this book's gonna be out. Everybody's gonna be checking it out. I have to give a shout out to my local sporting goods store here because I went in and I was talking to him about some archery stuff before I interview, so I knew about triggers.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I said, yeah, They're like, who are you going to interview?
Speaker 4: Rad?
Speaker 3: I said, have you ever heard of Jim Shocky? And they just stopped and they just looked at me. I have to say it's at my local Shields right over here, because the guy's at the archery counter.
Speaker 2: Okay, at Shields in Sandy, Utah.
Speaker 3: You boys over there, thank you for dropping what you're doing to show me all the different techniques of the triggers and everything over there, so that I could talk to Jim and have a little more understanding, because Jim, I come from a You're gonna wake up Saturday morning. You're gonna go to the park, and I've got this guy lined up and he's gonna teach you to do archery by my father. And my dad would wake me up seven in the morning, get up sunrise, You're going up to the park and I would sit there and do recurve and learn how to put recurve on and learn how to shoot recurve. So all through boy scouts and all through growing up of archery, and I was really excited to talk to you about you know, everything that we have had on this conversation. So I just want to say thank you for just being awesome and loving to your wife and your family and the museum.
Speaker 2: And where's that museum at.
Speaker 4: It's Vancouver Island. So it's a little place called Duncan Maple Bay. It's about one hour north of Victoria on Vancouver Island and Victoria's capital of British Columbia. It's the school that our kids went to school in Maple Vale Elementary. Actually they built in sixty one and decommissioned in the year two thousand and we bought it in near twenty fifteen. You know, squatters lived in here. I took four forty foot containers of personal garbage out of this place. We bought it and there was no furnaces, all stolen, copper wiring, copper plumbing all stolen. It was a daryland building. My coore wife, she broke down a tear. She said, it's a white hell fhant I said, I said, no I have. It's my vision.
Speaker 3: Oh look, yeah, vision, I see it.
Speaker 4: You know, we had over twenty six thousand visitors last year. We'll have over over thirty thousand this year. Donation only anybody can walk in the door and it's the hand of Man. Anybody can google that hand of Man. Museum of Natural History, Cultural Arts and Conservation and call me hunter. Is is based on a game. It's all part of this, part of this whole journey. The story of a life lived beyond the panis and that's the museum is a big part of that, the collecting the art world because there's a lot of cultural arts in here that That's what the premise of the story called Me Hunter is all about, is that underground of the we're collecting becomes an obsession. You know, it becomes pathological for some people. And the more money you have, you know, just the worth of more, the further you'll go to gather whatever it is, steal it whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's your passion.
Speaker 4: Then it becomes mutated into something beyond that. And you know, there's a healthy level of collecting. I might be just past that level when you walk in here, you'll see that thousands of pieces, but you know there's a level where it gets to where it's mutated into something that's evil. And that that's what Calming Hunters that comes to the story is that it's based in the art world and collecting people that have an innate ability to recognize beauty. You don't see it, you know you feel it and you know it allever that sense is triggered. So so that's that's what it's about, is is that that lifetime of collecting for this museum.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're out there listening and you're in the area, you should go check out the museum. And if you're not in the area and you're going to go visit the area, you should go check out the museum. Or you can probably just visit something down below that we're going to have typed out that might have like a donat to keep the museum also donated. If there's some type of a link, we'll ask for that later and my guys will put that in the back back end on the website for you.
Speaker 2: So there's just an extra link.
Speaker 3: If somebody wants to click it and send you like a moose knuckle, don't do that.
Speaker 4: Please, don't do that.
Speaker 2: Tell me, no, don't do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 3: Only if you're a little billy and you're in the area.
Speaker 4: Anybody you can Google call me a Google handed Man Museum and it'll come up.
Speaker 2: I mean, they're just yeah, we'll have that, we'll have that posted up there for you.
Speaker 4: Jim. Sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well listen, I've had you, I've had you for over an hour. You're great, and I now want to get you back to the love of your life, which is not me okay, and so I love the look.
Speaker 4: Not quite my touch. Remember I said you feel beauty. Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 3: I've got some hands though, I can get your shoulders. So I gave a shout out to the boys over my arch recounter. I love talking to you, and I think that you're a wonderful guest and you're a welcome addition to our soft Rep mafia family that we have ever growing in the special operations community. You're just as special operations as special operations, all right.
Speaker 2: So that's how we're gonna look at it.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go ahead and sign off with us saying thank you Jim Shockey for being a part of our lives. Call Me Hunter is going to be out in all the bookstores if you can find it in a local mom and pop. Please support local mom and pop bookstores. They are doing a good favor for us all. I also want to mention our book club for Soft Rep. Please check that out, and again the merch store, and a big salute to Jim. Thank you for being on the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been a pleasure, lots of fun. I'm looking forward to being on a gate someday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, can I get a thumbs up from your hand. Is he there? Can we get a thumbs up from you? Yeah? Yeah, bring him over there.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 2: Well you have a wonderful day. And this is Brad say in peace.
Speaker 1: Use been listening to self Red Radio