Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft web Radio Special Operations Military mails. I'm straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on. This is rad I am the excited host of soft Rep Radio and I have a very special guest today. But before I introduce to you, Dwayne Worrel, I slipped it. But hold on, before I introduce you any further, I want to mention that we have a mert shop. We have branded equipment in there, we have branded shirts, we have you know, stuff that you might want to wear and support us. If you like what we do and the message that we put out there of be cool to one another, then go check out the merch store. And also the book club. We like books. Read all the books. Read any book you want to read. Just read a book. At the end of the day, join our book club which is soft rep dot com hyphen book Club. Okay, so come find that and then without further ado, I do have a book here. It's called Androne right here, and it's written by Dwayne Warrell, who is the author, director, writer, filmmaker living in Hollywood. Dwayne, Welcome to soft Rep Radio.
Speaker 3: It's great to be here, man. I appreciate you having me.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, Dwayne, I just want to read a little bit about your book. First of all, let's read a little bit about Dwayne. Okay, let me just tell you what they want me to tell you about Dwayne. All right, here we go. So Dwayne Worrel is a filmmaker, traveler, a novelist, a Caribbean native who resettled in the US in the nineties. Dwayne currently resides in LA where he works as a film and television writer and producer. His writing credits include Marvel's Ironfist, CBS's Fire Country, Amazon Studios, The Wall, and the Disney play series National Treasure, among others. So that's who we're talking to today. Where you're talking to Dwayne. He loves to use his imagination, he likes to put it on paper. And I want to hear more about how Andron and the Special Operation community come together. So welcome, Welcome, Dwayne.
Speaker 3: Thank you man again. I really appreciate you having me. It's great to be here, great to talk to you guys. And yeah, Andron was something that, you know, a film. It started as in my mind, something that I wanted to produce on film and have be a movie. I love science fiction, I love military stories. So I sort of took the tooth and I put them together, and I wanted to create this story about a near future world where drones aren't just operated in the sky, they're operated on the water, underwater, on land, bipedal, quadrupedal, four legs to legs, whatever type of service they can provide, we create them. So we have all these different types of drones. And the story is about a drone pilot and drone pilot and andrones are bipedal, built in our image, machines about seven to eight feet tall, powerful human like tanks. And it's about drone pilot who pilots these machines and he discovers something, which is a spoiler, so I won't say what he discovers.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, No, there's so many, but he.
Speaker 3: Discovers something and it changes everything about his goals in the military, his personal life, everything changes when he discovers this. It was just a really interesting story I wanted to tell. So in Hollywood, when you're trying to tell certain stories, they say, no, we want to do superhero movies. So I figured, you know, it's going to be very challenging to get it done as a film, so I decided to write it as a book. And now it's in your hands and hopefully everyone else's hands.
Speaker 2: Very soon exactly, it will be out on bookshelves and everywhere that you can check out this book androne once it's released, it'll probably be at the airport if you're going through Lax or Burbank or Provo Airport here in Salt Lake City. You can just you never know. These authors, they travel and do these junkets and these book shows. You just never know if the book you're looking at is signed by the author who just sneaks in there and says, you know, I'm going to sign this.
Speaker 3: Further might be right behind you as you pick up the book at the airport.
Speaker 2: You're just like looking over the shoulder with a cannapringles for the flight, like is he picking up my book? Please pick up my book? Yes?
Speaker 3: I'll probably make a comment or two like, no, I've read that one. That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Oh, you know that's good. I won't give you these spoilers, but chapter seven, let me tell you I do like, let me tell you about Androl So I'm six foot five and I just got down to two hundred and seventy six pounds from two ninety three, so I'm a big dude. Yeah, is there an Andron for me? You know, because I'm reading it and I'm not trying to give away any spoilers, bro, but you know, I mean he's got sice twelve feet. I can say that, right, Okay, we know he's got sized. I got sice fifteen. What if Sequille O'Neil needed to get in one?
Speaker 3: What about Ra's true?
Speaker 2: How do we get into this? What's our position?
Speaker 3: And I don't think this is the spoilers. I could tell a little bit about this. There are different types of Andromes for different things. So the military they named the andromes after Great Military war machines because they considered the Andron of war machine. So they decided to name them after the Spartan series, the SPQRS series, the Apache series, the Mongol series, the Zulu series. There's the Kingsmand series after the British Empire, and of course there's an Americana, which is the most modern Androme. So each of these androids are differ sizes and built for different uses. For what you described to say about six y five who got some Matthew. I think you would like the Mungo series, is I would. This is a heavily armored, powerful, strong Yeah. So you get it and you uh a egg egg shaped sort of circular carpet. You get inside and you operate this machine that is maybe in Iraq, maybe in Afghanistan, maybe Siria, you don't know where it is. But you're out there and you're you're controlling this machine. And I think you would enjoy controlling the mules.
Speaker 2: I really would, I really And I love that you're keeping So you know, I can't talk about the book, but I want to talk about the book, right because like you're the author of the book, and I read a lot of your book and I want to say things that are in the book. But you already said the egg. And I was going to say what came first, the chicken or the egg, and so you already got the egg, right, And then I just like how you put the cables on. You know, in my mind, my mind really just wanders with your book. So I'm thinking of different components and I want to put it out there. Like when my dad read the movie or the read the book Hunt for October by Tom Clancy back in the day. It's about a sub mariner. Yes, and then he went and saw it. He was kind of like, it's not the same in my head because he has all the specs you see, but in the movie maybe you couldn't get all the specs right, but you can get the gist of the synergy of the book adapted to the film. Okay, because it takes a lot for a submarine film, I can imagine, you know, it's going to be super difficult to be one hundred percent accurate on such a futuristic movie. I bet you did your best, though, right or for for the book? Excuse me, I did.
Speaker 3: I spoke to my brothers in the military. My brother's in the intelligence field, and I can't I don't want to talk too much about, you know, what he does, but he does work on aircraft and other things like that. And I just spoke to a friend, another friend who's also in the military. I'm worry about putting names out there because I don't know that they they want to be associated with the book, you know, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I spoke to.
Speaker 3: Them, and then I did my own independent research, not just on drones, but I think when you're writing, you've got to get into the characters' heads. And what is the mindset of a person who is sitting a million miles away and murdering some or killing someone, I should say in comparison to And this is one thing that that struck me as I was writing the book. And I thought a lot about as I was writing the book. Is my emotional state different if I'm in the trenches, climbing through the mud, scratches the mosquito bites all over me and I have a gun aimed at someone, or I'm sitting in an air conditioned office and I'm at the controls and I have a gun aimed at someone. What is the different mind set of a human being when they're in those two separate states. And that's sort of something that that was in my.
Speaker 2: Mind as I well today you're just saying, you know, give them a value packer downloadable content and they'll go to war for you, dude. It's like they'll drink their big gulp and sit there and play with their thumbs and they'll be desensitized to that situation. It's just like, and that's it.
Speaker 3: That's the desensitization of it is. It's an istion because some people might think, oh, if I'm in the air conditioned office, I may not shoot him because you know, you know, but there's that desensitized state that they're in when they're in the air conditioned cockpit, while if I'm sitting there on the trenches, maybe there's a little more empathy that I have if I have the scratches and the bruises and everything on me with that person. And I can't say that, you know, I can't say what I would do. I've never been in that situation, but it does make me, you know, I did put a lot of thought into the differences between those two situations.
Speaker 2: Well, when you look at like World War II trench warfare, and it was like Christmas time, and they had like a like just like a quiet the almost like we're singing hymns to each other across the battlefield of Christmas time, you know, celebrating, you know, like you couldn't do that in a machine per se. You couldn't have that moment of like I don't want to kill you anymore, you don't want to kill me anymore, because machines like John Connor and Terminator loosely quote, it says they're only as good as the people that programmed.
Speaker 3: Them, right, right, right exactly?
Speaker 2: You know, you know, and so have you seen. I usually reference this movie called snow Piercer who has a Captain America in it, Chris Evans. I thinks his name, yes, I guess, And so, not to give away everything, it just talks about the human element has to be involved for anything to consider moving in this earth, right, It can't just be nobody's brain helping like you're talking about. These things could go off do it themselves, but it takes the human element to be involved in these androns right.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's it's so integral to the story. And when you see the cover you may think, oh, this is a Terminator movie where it's AI and the machine killing people. You see the machine, but there's a human being controlling that machine, and that is the most important element to this story. It's so I can't give that part away, but maybe I can't let me think it's interesting.
Speaker 2: Thing is, it's not given away. It's it's there because we know he's there. Okay, that's all.
Speaker 3: Well, he makes an empathetic decision in that machine, and the person on the opposite side of that machine does not know for a very long time that there's a human being inside it. There, right, So there's and this happens a little further into the story. But and I'm not giving away the twist. The twist is still still hidden. But the person out side of that machine does not know there's a human being inside. They believe it's Ai. They believe it's the machine is autonomous, and over time a relationship grows between him inside that machine and the person outside of it. And one thing to keep in mind, that person that does not speak English, and he cannot speak, they cannot communicate. So there is a relationship within this story between a human machine and another person, and there is no linguistic communication. So there's there's there's more to the story a little furthermore.
Speaker 2: I can just see it in my head. It's like he's trying to like, can you hear me? Okay, and it's like looking at him and like I'm not killing you exactly exactly? Yes, Wow, yeah, no, cool. I'd love to see it. I know that right now. You know, as we talk, there's a strike going on in Hollywood. And around the world with the direct Director's Guild of America, the Writer's Guild of America, the Screen Actors Guild, the Theatrical After is involved with that all the unions, and I have stepped up for equal pay. I'd like to maybe touch base with that with you a little bit and just say, hey, you know, ask someone who's SAG eligible and worked in you know, different projects. Myself, I understand what that union and what the health insurance does for those who are making the minimum to be in the union, right, because you're lucky if you have a million dollar roll come your way. You're lucky if you have these things there, you have an agent working behind the scenes for you. But if you can get into a project, as you know, you go out for a featured extra role and all of a sudden, like you know what, we might just like you for the driver who has two dialogue lines, and next thing you know, you know, you just got into the sage right, and so that and now you're like, oh, I want more of this. So there's that person who's at the very bottom of the spectrum, right, let's call them me. And then you have and then you have the tom Cruisers who have put so much equity of their money into the funds for these insurances and for these programs. Millions of dollars from their their checks go into that versus the lower paying actor, because it's all scaled exactly. If I'm wrong, say you're wrong, you know.
Speaker 3: You got it, You're on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just think that there should be fairness across the level. You know, you see these Brian Cranston's and you see these other you know, noted well off actors standing there saying we want equal rights. And I don't think other people are understanding who they're trying to fight for because they were that. I need a place to stay on your couch. I just have an audition in the morning. Can I give me a right on the way of your work. I won't be any more in your way except for tomorrow. I'm gonna sleep on your couch again.
Speaker 3: You're exactly exactly right. What some people may not understand is that this strip isn't really affecting Tom Cruise at all. Tom Cruise will still make twenty five million a movie and still get back in afterwards. So it's not about Tom Cruise. It's about the people, like you said, who are not earning a lot of money. Who For example, one thing that studios want to do is they want to for background actors who get paid very very little already. They want to take basically a three dimensional picture of their face and use it forever in the background, so you get paid for that one time, and then the studios can just use you forever, So it eliminates the need for background actors. It eliminates the need for extras though, those people who come in and just do one day's work. And Brad Pitt used to be an extra. All the actors I would say, ah, but many of the actors same. I've done that work as well, and not that I'm an actor, but I've done it from time to time. And it's a good way to earn a paycheck. You can get in and it gives you the set experience. But it's also a path that mini actors take. Mini actors start there and then slowly but surely find the latter. So it's green men, they're they're they're very much trying to take away everything, not everything, but a lot of the healthcare, a lot of the fonts from a lot of the lower level actors and writers and that's the side that I've been on on the strike and a lot of the things they're trying to do with AI and having AI write the films is sort of it's it's very sad to see and a lot of people are are struggling.
Speaker 2: You know, I've heard it about podcasts. You know, we've talked about it within our house of soft reap. AI is here. We understand, you know, all these chat GPTs, all these different mechanisms that are out there. But if all you do is start using that, all you're going to have is that watching it, and all you're going to have is AI watching AI.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, I think that AI does. They're not there yet. AI can't write screenplay the same way that person can write screenplay. But what this is maybe a little insight into what writers deal with in Hollywood, is studios are very very much hands on when it comes to the writing of screenplays. A lot of people think a writer will write a story and they will make the words that they say into a movie. That's usually not how it works. Usually a studio will come to a writer and say, hey, we want to make a movie about ABC, and we want this moment, that moment that moment, that moment. So the writer will then go, Okay, you're paying me, so I will write this moment the way you want it. I will write that moment the way you want it, and I will create a story in your image. I will create a story in the way you want it to be written. And then they will look at the screenplay and then give us notes and say, we want this change, we want this change, we want this change. So the writer in the system is actually, we don't have as much power as people think. We are really writers for hire. We make the work the way the studios want it, especially on the big budget films. If you see an indie film, maybe the writer had more influence there, But in the big Marvel hop, you know, big big films, we have less influence than love.
Speaker 2: Right. So something like a franchise, like a Marvel universe that's going to be specifically like we want this, this, and this out of it. You're going to write this, this, and this. We've already got this talent for these scenes. It's all storyboarded and foreseen through their crystal ball at the studio exactly whereas like an old indie film like say, you know, like Clerks, right, okay, right, probably nothing to do with the studio writing in that.
Speaker 3: Exactly exactly right, you're exactly right. Yes, the smaller films, the indie films, those are we call them spec screenplays. And The Wall, which I wrote, that would spec mostly.
Speaker 2: For Amazon, right for Amazon, right, yes.
Speaker 3: But a lot of bigger films we write what they want to write, and if we don't write it to those specifications, they will fire, not fire, still, let us go, and they'll bring in another writer and that writer will will do the job. So that's sort of how the system works and how we.
Speaker 2: Play it, right, And I guess with the writers guild, you know, you guys like an actor, you got the gig you're in, you're writing. You know, it's like, oh, I'm actually hey mom, hey, dad, friends, I'm doing it. I'm writing for Hollywood, right, Hey, I got into Stephen King movie. I'm doing acting. I'm you know, next step, next step, And it's like you don't want to like lose that, And so they know that we as the talent, walk on eggshells, try to be in these projects so that I don't want to offend anyone on set. I don't I don't want to bump into the caterer and say this sucks because he's going to be the director one day.
Speaker 3: You're exactly exactly right. You get in there, you get, oh my god, I'm writing a Marvel movie. Whatever you say, I'll do it. And I'm writing a you know, a Pixar not usually not Pixar, but maybe a Disney Plus film or a Disney Plus show or a CBS show or ABC. You just want to you want to make the studio happy, you want to make your employ it happy. So you do what they tell you and you put out the product to their liking. So that's that's that's.
Speaker 2: What That's kind of where this whole situations you know, coming about in LA and then the Guild and the strikes, is that you know, you have these big conglomerates that are able to dictate what they want. Now they're moving into more of a reality based programming where they say, oh, there's no writer involved. But hey, listen, Dwayne, what I want you to do in this scene is I'm not telling you what to do, but I want you to do what you want to do in the scene. But I'd like you to like maybe rub your head in the scene. But that's up to you if you do it right. And so then Dwayne's like, oh damn, I just got some direction from rad to maybe rub my head. Okay, so maybe the right around here, And I'm like, okay, cut, Yeah, I mean, how's that not writing? You know, how's that not giving? So what happens is the actor is in this world of non sag project and they have k so you feel like it's a sack project, right right.
Speaker 3: Right right? No, And we see that a lot of reality too. And I don't I don't know that much about reality TV. I've never been involved in real TV, but I do know that I do know people. I've heard a lot about reality TV and that it is almost to a degree scripted too, you know, to get that best. But they don't they don't pay. From what I've heard, the reality TV stars don't get paid in the same way. They don't get residuals at the shows.
Speaker 2: Nope, none, they're out yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I mean I was I was offered a reality show and they wanted like all sorts of perpetuity contracts signed and off offshoot camera. I mean, a lawyer on my side here watching everything I was doing for me on my side. And that's what I have to say, is they came with all these papers like hey, Rod, just sign this and don't want a ten percent of my business for light and perpetuity, and like they just want to know how do I tick? What makes me rock? And this is a reality network coming at me. They pitched it in DC at the Speak Huge event and all these different companies were like, yeah, well, and then it was all about war games and so at the time of twenty twelve, there's a lot of like active shootings going on, I see, and it doesn't go well. So it was put away, right, So that was then, And I'm kind of glad I never went through to fruition with that because I'm happy I'm not out there splattered on the back of a pack of poker cards exactly.
Speaker 3: And I know what you mean yet, because they will market you however they want to market you. They'll put you on the side of a bus or on the side, like you said, in a pack of cards. So that's yeah, that's not You have no control at that point. And the thing about real is my cut exactly exactly. And the thing about reality TV is people, even though it may not be real. People see it as real. People see movies, they know, you know, Chris Evans is not Captain America. They know that's a movie. When they see reality TV, they do believe that that's who they those people really are. And sometimes it's not. Sometimes it is, you know, it's a bit of a bit of a show based on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I guess I'm just standing up with all of those folks out there that are standing on the line, just saying, you know, it's a fight to fight. And here in Utah it's different. We're a non union state, so the production companies that come here get a certain investment in their production. So if you hire seventy five percent Utah's you get all these incentives to come film in Utah, including all of the locations that are like used in every Mars movie, you know, or in like what was that with Jen a Forrest Gump when he's running, you know, out in the middle of the desert. You know, Utah it's beautiful, right, We have all sorts of locations, real locations where you don't have to film cgi for a Cowboys scene, actually have a long stretch of scenery into the sunset right right.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, and you have a lot of great festivals as well up there. I've never been to Utah. I really like to visit. But you say it's a non union state, so a lot of the stuff, you guys, Shoot, there's no unions protecting you. Guys.
Speaker 2: No, they come in as a SAG production, but at SAG non union, so they come in with SAG guidelines and SAG rules. And if you get on a project here, you can actually earn your SAG eligibility. So it's a lot easier for someone to earn their SAG eligibility here than to swim with sharks as a little goldfish in that big ocean in La So if you want to be kind of a bigger fish in a smaller pond.
Speaker 3: Right right, right, that makes a lot of sense. That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: See, so I'm always swimming around here. They're like, oh, there's Ratti's right over. I see his dorsal fin. We know he's here. We can always call him into an audition, you know.
Speaker 3: Is there a lot of production in Utah? Is theres a lot of stuff going on? Is it's pretty active as far as filming goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much. A lot of Disney happens here. So I was in the Luck of the Irish in the early two thousands for Disney Channels Luck of the Irish, and then we did there was like High School Musical was filmed here, Double Teamed was filmed here. You know. John Carpenter's Mars was filmed here. Those are just like from the early two thousands all the way to Costner has been filming Yellowstone here, you know, and then I think something just he just left his production. Something was going on with the production. But they are here the whole time for Yellowstone. And then I think the Roughnecks for filming, which is another Costner oil rig style thing going on. There's a lot of projects going on. I just went out for a bunch of this year. I got a couple of callbacks, one with Harrison Ford. I didn't go further. I was hoping it would have been cool. But a callback, you know how, that's.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a callback. Yeah, it's I do not say why. I did not envy the actor in many ways because it's it's so hard and I know actors here in LA you'll get that callback and you do the auditions and you go in and and then sometimes it doesn't, you know, come to fruition and it's always like it's that constant heartbreak. Sometimes I kind of know who the actor is, but I know a lot of coming actors who love the craft, and it's it's tough, it is challenging, it is challenging.
Speaker 2: Through that, I do love it and I do pursue it. And that's that is another reason why I thought we'd have a great conversation is because I do like that side of acting and being rejected and accepted. It's nothing, there's nothing like success, right you get the part. So I've been taught there's no small roles, there's just small actors. Okay, So I will never say I went out for this small role. I just went out for this role as the driver. And the director is like, we want you as the father, and I was like, deal, that's cool. It was one line in the audition. I was like, the building's over there, it's one line. But I went in there was so much like Okay, Yeah, it's called fire Starter by Stephen King and it was made for Sci Fi Channel and I play Andy McGhee, which is the father to the fire Starter, and so I have like kinetic energy powers to make you do what I say, and so it's kind of a yeah, you know, I feel like a lot of these popular streaming shows kind of steal some thunder from Stephen King's Kids with you know, fire. But anyways, yeah, I'm in fire Starter. So that was picked up in so I was in the pilot series. I was picked up as the reoccurring father. We were excited. We were like, okay, We're going to film the whole pilot in Utah, and then we wound up going. Nine to eleven happened after and that just shut everything down. And since there was a lot of explosions because she uses fire for her attitude, they were like, we can't, we can't put this out. So they even put the show back two years before it was released because they wanted to let society settle down, because you got to remember, after nine to eleven, the number one movie was Zoolander in October. So September eleventh happened and everybody was like, what just happened to America and the world. And then Zoolander was coming into theaters in October, which is kind of what everyone needed, and it was like a huge hit because everybody laughed and for a moment, we just wanted, you know, frozen Frappe Makachinos with a gasoline fight. Right, I don't know what to say about that, you know, Zoolander, Right, that's kind of how society adapts, you know, the again control of the theaters, they said, pause everything, only put out something happy, a cartoon of Bambi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, no, no, that's that's yeah, And that's sad that that happened at that time. It was it was a difficult full time. I'm sorry because you mentioned nine to eleven and I really I just sort of reeled back to that time. I was like, where was I was like, like, I just sort of went back there. But yeah, nine to eleven was. It was a horrible, horrible time.
Speaker 2: Well, and I never really like to date my episode so that it can seem timeless. But we're right around revisiting nine to eleven because it's August with me and you you know, this yearbook's coming out and this will be out in appropriately time, but you know, nine to eleven will have either hit us at the same time this comes out or right after. And you know, we're twenty two years now from that situation. Yeah, and we had a long Afghanistan Iraq war with a lot of our friends and family. We all know somebody who has been involved in the conflict in one way or another. Chasing down you know, terrorism, and it's no different than than Andron how your guy, you know, Paxton, Right, he's the guy it's up. It's his twelve feet, twelve sized feet. You know, his shoes. You got to fill that, you know the weight of that, and he has to go and try to I don't know, let's just say save humanity possibly, you know, like there be this greater existential threat out there that maybe it is up to you listening that has never joined the military, maybe you will go join. Maybe you are that guy that will change or that gal that will change the situation. Yeah, you just never know if you're the one, and if if you're on the fence about thinking about joining, you know, and I don't really get paid to advertise, you know, recruitment, but I tell people, if you're on the fence, you're like a six or seven of joining the military, what makes it not a ten? You know, if you're like, oh, six, seven, eight, I might well just go and try it. See if the next step that you walk in takes you to the right place. Right, that's it, you're yourself.
Speaker 3: There's somebody advantage.
Speaker 2: Lets people know go try.
Speaker 3: It advantages too. When when I got out of high school, I could be because I didn't know what I was going to do that I ended up traveling. I ended up going overseas. But one of my thought about being a police officer, and I thought about joining the military. Those are sort of two of the options that were sort of laid out in part of me when I graduated high school. So yeah, I think, to damn good option and one that a lot of a lot of people we need.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, we need you. We need you to keep us to be free because we've some of us have done that, some of us have thought about doing that. At the end of the day. We need people that can just you know, stand up to that call. And you know, dang, I'm forty five. I'll still help. You know, if if it comes to my house, I don't want it to come to our shores. Yes, you know, That's why I'm a big proponent for keeping it at bay where it's at, and you know, putting effort into the situation where the war is at and and you know, it's already there, so let's fight it there. And yeah, I talked to this guy they day. He was kind of yeah, and I know that our podcast isn't it's not it's totally about your book, Andro, and I'm gonna say it, but you know, with Ukraine going on, we can't help but be humans, right, yes. And so I was talking to this guy the other day and I was just getting my oil change done and and he was like, oh, yeah, you know, And I said, if we don't help supply the people in Crane, are you ready for a supersonic missile to blow up our store next door right now while we're sitting here having an oil change? Bro? And he looked at me. I said, are you ready? Are you really ready with your mentality like what you're telling me? Are you ready for a supersonic missile, a supersonic missile man to fly in in our airspace and blow up that store right there right And he looked at me. I said, are you raise your daughter? Are you ready to go see your daughter if that happens, because that's what's happening over there.
Speaker 3: And the thing about hypersonic missiles is Russia and China sort of have an edge in that area over US. Like hypersonic missiles isn't something that the US and we are now catching up to them a little bit, but that's that's a technology that they had the first step on and we were sort of playing a little bit of catch up in that area.
Speaker 2: And look what they've done to like all of like adults and all these regions in the Ukraine that I never even no fence, I didn't even know about, and now I know about these names and these these areas, and you know Crimea and the bridge in Crimea so much, we know so much.
Speaker 3: And Ukraine is holding the floods. They're fighting for Europe because I feel very strongly that after Russia took Ukraine, they were going to take to name of the country right west, just directly west of Ukraine is a very small country, a small nation state that the name slips my mind at this point, but I think Putin wants to sort of reclaim at least part of that Soviet era right exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: I just was thinking West, yeah, and I.
Speaker 3: You know, just in listening to his speeches, he wants to reclaim some of that old Soviet glory. And take back part of a good chunk of eastern Europe. There is no way that's good for the United States. That's no, there's no way that's that's good for for us at all. So it's it's an important fight to be one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed. Otherwise, if he wants to go back to Peter the Great, they just give it back to Genghis Khan. Right, you know, like how far back you want to go? You know, it's like, what are you crying over? You want the empire back? Well, I'm sure Mexico would like Utah back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, exactly right.
Speaker 2: What's to stop Mexico from saying, hey, you know Utah California?
Speaker 3: Right? You know, well I think yeah, I think that.
Speaker 2: So I understand that.
Speaker 3: If he takes back you know, more Viero he has. If he takes Ukraine, for example, Ukraine, Moldova, a few other states, he has more oil, more land, more more of the sea black Sea. Russia becomes a more powerful country. Russia becomes a wealthier country. There's a lot of smaller, little details that people don't know. Just let him take it. No, you can't allow that to happen. You need to score. You cra need to. You can't allow that ideology to become more powerful.
Speaker 2: Communism and fascism exactly exactly. You got something to say about what I'm saying, comment down below. I don't care. Go ahead, you know, because if you like communism, kiss my ass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: That's it. And I know the internets forever. Yeah. I was raised with Red Dawn, so let's not forget that. Okay. I was a warsaw you know, child of a Green Beret who sat in my dad's office looking at all sorts of nineteen eighties, you know, propaganda that the Green Berets were training on against Warsaw countries. That was their whole theaters of like they were studying. I would study all these RPGs and tanks and all these different things. Ak's that might these these these flash cards that were just in my dad's office. It's like, oh, ak, oh RPG seven, Oh RPG seven eight, this you know, oh T seventeen. Oh, That's that's how I feel. Man. So I'm forty five, right that I'm not. I don't think I'm very old really in the grand scheme of things. So we're the same age, man, We're the same age.
Speaker 3: We're the same age. And this is a war of ideology. It's a war of ideology. It's war free thought capitalism with all its flaws, but capitalism. And then on the other side there's communism and there's control and there's no freedoms, and if we want to, we'll just roll into another country and take over. And that's that's not that's not right. There's countries near to us that we could take over if we wanted to, right, we don't. That that's not and it's not. Again, I'm not saying the United States is perfect. We there, We definitely aren't. We've done many things that are wrong, but you know, we're we're not rolling into weaker nation states on our borders and physically taking over. And I think right, for all the flaws of capitalism, for all the flaws of the United States and our military, sometimes the fight for Ukraine is one of the right things that we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. And I know that their February twenty second or twenty fourth of twenty twenty two is kind of, you know, overshadowed, but it's it's a nine to eleven type moment where you know, the destruction that has happened and occurred over there since the beginning of that attack is just it's it's huge, right, they just went after him, and you know we need some andrones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's get some andros on the battlefield and and give them to Ukraine and world be over in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 2: So, speaking of like Tom Cruise real quick, have you seen his movie Edge of Tomorrow at all?
Speaker 3: I love Edge of Tomorrow. Edge of Tomorrow is one of my is it might it might be my favorite Tom Cruise movie. I love that movie. I think it's brilliant. Again, I'm a huge kind of science fiction. I'm a huge of military stories. So there's again a great combination of military sci fi. I love that film.
Speaker 2: But sorry, go ahead, No, it's just talks about it. It's along the same lines, you know, the and and he doesn't realize what's up. He's like, wait, what I'm wait now I'm in this machine and he's like, how do I even shoot it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No? And that's uh. You bring up such a great film. And I think as you read andrew On a little more, you'll see a few more similarities in the way the stories are told. But yes, I love that film, love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too. And I like that Mary Poppins is in it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, she did.
Speaker 2: Great.
Speaker 3: What's most interesting about that? Emily Blunt?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: That one takes place in Europe and it is about it is in some ways the Battle for Verdune, and you know, all the stuff from world sort of World War two a little bit, a little bit of thematic elements sort of played into the uh to that that story, that narrative.
Speaker 2: But great, you know. And the newest blockbuster out there that everybody's been talking about with Barbie okay and Space Odyssey two thousand and one. Have you seen those two comparisons, Janley Kubrick and Greta Gerwick.
Speaker 3: I haven't, no, no, I have you seen them?
Speaker 2: Have you seen both of them?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen Barbie, but I have seen two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Okay, So when you go see Barbie, and I advise everyone should go see Barbie. It's a good movie. It's funny, Okay, I like it. I don't know what everybody's turning around the world. It's it's Barbie. Okay. Second, it's supposed to be Barbie with Malibu, Barbie and the Jeep and everything. So yeah, i'd say you should watch it and then come back and hit me up in a DM and say rad because or or maybe you can google it. They've put us side by side of two thousand and one Space Odyssey and Barbie side by side. Seemed to see to scene, to see the scene of certain elements and how they all come to fruition, and how Greta pays homage to Stanley Kubrick.
Speaker 3: I think I think I know what you're talking about, though. I think I've seen that scene from the movie in some sort of preview or something. Yeah, I won't ruin it, but yeah.
Speaker 2: No, no I don't. I don't want to. But yeah, So it's funny how you know it's okay. I feel like for a movie to kind of parallel or like kind of have some of the same thing from another movie, it's like yeah, yeah, And then when you watch it at my age, I'm like, why does this scene seem so emotional to me?
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting though, is that you say there's a lot of fooppla, and I just you know, I don't go to the theaters as often as I should. I haven't seen Barbie. I haven't seen Afenheimer. I haven't seen the only movie. The last movie I saw was Mission Impossible and Dead Reckoning. But it is interesting that you say there is this hoopla. I do hear a lot of old Barbie is anti man and stuff like that. You you did see any of that when you watched it. That's good, that's good.
Speaker 2: You know what I saw. A man being man is what I saw, okay. And if man has a problem with the way man is, the man should fix himself.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Okay. So if you read like I said, in a movie, you'll have that veteran who's just gonna stare at every single ribbon on that dude's chest and make sure that it was more proper than the scene. Yeah, it's like you know, you know, uh so it's like you should watch the scene and and and get I get it that one guy's gonna stare at that and say, oh, the ribbon should be over here. Okay, But the whole scene is what we're trying to show you here, which is you know, whatever that is. I find Barbie to be. I think there's a lot of people trying to like polarize it, but I don't know what there is to polarize because it's Barbie.
Speaker 3: And it's a fun film, right right, And.
Speaker 2: You're like, oh, and you see the background, You're like, oh, that's that's that's the beach. No One. Yeah, Barbie goes to the beach ends at the each We all know Barbie Malibu, Barbie Skipper, Barbie ken Ken hangs out with Barbie. I mean, have you not grown up? Are we not forty five? You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that a lot of people try to loie things that aren't supposed to be ple in size and try to create divides in the country where sometimes there doesn't need to be, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's well, we're gollible. That's where we are. We're gollible. We're like, oh, that guy wrote the song about us, and he's like, no, I wrote the song about me, and or you know, we're gollible. You know, that's what we are. It's like, hey, here you go. Yeah, I think this way. That's why I love my show so much, because I get the freedom to talk with you and have conversations like this. You're a wonderful writer. I've loved reading your book. It's very quick chapters, and I've read chapters that are long, and then all of a sudden, it's like, how many more's left in this pitch? Okay? I got fifteen more pages in this chapter? Now, man one two three, I'm like, oh, I got another chapter. Okay, let's keep going and then keep going and then keep going, and then my imagination starts to take off, and I'm like, how am I going to get in this movie? How am I going to fit? I'm six ' five. I'm like talking to the guy who can make me a suit? Kind of like Samuel Jackson talked to George Lucas and said, what about a purple light saver? He's like, purple, you mean a beard? You need a beard? A beard? A beard.
Speaker 3: I've heard about those conversations. Yeah, no, man, I really I really want people to, uh to check out the book and and you know what, read it and and enjoy the story. And if they take something away from it because of what happens to us the end, if they take something out of it, then that's that's really good. But again, I appreciate you. You you talk to me about the book, it's uh, you know, giving me this platform to sort of put the book out there.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate that well, that's exactly what we are. And as you notice at the beginning of the show, I mentioned our soft rep dot com forward slash book hyphen club. Let me just plug that, agib. But it's a thing. It's a book club. And as much as we're scrolling all the time and constantly, you know, digitally staring at something and blue light reading a book, there's nothing like. Honestly, I swear to god, there's nothing like a page. Okay. I have looked at these kindles and these other iPads. It's just not the same. I know. They try to have reading style and make it look like paper. They want it to look like this, but there's nothing like, Oh, let me doggy ear my page, or let me flip back real quick.
Speaker 3: One thing I want to say about that is like people are looking for good content, or good stories, or good movies or good shows. A lot of times, if you want to find it, it's in a book. There's so many stories that are told on the page that you're looking. I would love to find a great science fiction television show. There aren't many out there. The ones that are out there, most of them are kind of cheese. The great science fiction stories you're looking for or in a book. If you're looking for a great military show that is in there on television or in the arm film, it's probably on the books in a book. So but there's far more variety of far more niches within the book community than there are on film and television. So definitely, like you said, forward slash Book and I forgot the uh page with plug it again.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, softwarep dot com Ford slash Book, High Food Club and yeah, you never know, we might even have Dwayne's book in our book club. You know. I love to just put it out there. If there's an option for us to have your book in rotation, the more the merrier, you know, it's a book club. It's like, hey, here's your book. I want to touch base on another movie that has Rambo. Right, did you ever see any of the Rambos?
Speaker 3: I've seen the first one, but interestingly enough, it's been so long it's so bigue in my mind now I haven't I didn't rewatch it. I watched it back in the early nineties and are in mid nineties.
Speaker 2: And camera, well, they say that that first book, the first movie is good to the book, like him walking through the town like that kind of like plays off on it. It's the second one that he wrote where there's some of that the veteran c flaws right right, But in the first one it's more like, yeah, he's just like a vet. He's got his hands in his field jacket. He's just walking through town with his knapsack, and then he just gets chased all over you know what I'm saying, Like, you can't. That's they put that together. But then the second one is like, Okay, he's got to go into a pow camp. Now he's got to have helicopters blown out him and he's got to blow up the helicopter. He's got to save the POW's but not kill them, but shoot an RPG at while they're behind him in the helicopter. It's like all these different little things like this real quick.
Speaker 3: And it's related. It may not sound related, but it is related. Sometimes I watch I read articles or I watch podcasts and our critics on Rotten Tomatoes and they will talk about the writers and the writing and it's not about me specifically, but it's about other writers films and they're like, the writing was bad, And I know for a fact that that scene was not the writer's fault that that scene was a studio executive saying this movie is too slow. We need an explosion, and so we're gonna we're gonna put in the middle of the script, We're gonna shove in a helicopter chase sequence with an explosion. And sometimes you can't blame the writer. Sometimes you can't blame the writer. But as the writer, I got to stand up for my other writers and say some of that. A lot of that stuff you see in movies, it's not on us, man, it's it's an executive saying we need an explosion or we need a car chase, and we need something that isn't true to what the writer wanted to put in the script. So that second film, I don't know who who was responsible. Maybe he was in the writing of it. Yeah, those things that weren't accurate to the to the to what the writer, to what the book had. Oh yeah, may have been a little bit of aization of that.
Speaker 2: And there has to because Hollywood. Yeah, yeah, you know, it's supposed to take you out of your commuter daily seatbelt life where you go office to office. Yeah, sitting in traffic, and now you can eat some popcorn I love that about Tom Cruise. He loves popcorn and I love popcorn in a movie fan, and we get to sit there and be taken away.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed the last Mission Impossible movie, Dead Reckoning. It was I thought it was one of the best, if not the best, of the Mission Impossible movies. And it didn't do well. It didn't do that well. Unfortunately, only made about one fifty or one sixty domestic off of the budget of two hundred million plus, so it's unfortunate. But that was a really good film. And sometimes yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the days of DVDs have gone away, you know, like having that resis vigual, like Okay, hey, we're gonna have one launch and that's gonna be box Office the theatrical one fifty, and then we're going to relaunch the DVDs and that's going to probably bring in the other fifty to one hundred. But now they're not doing that that DVD life.
Speaker 3: There's so much competition of it. I mean, these massive studios are competing with thirteen year olds doing TikTok online, so they have to compete for time with all these different platforms from video games to YouTube and TikTok, and you really it's a lot more challenging to make money strictly on films nowadays, So the film industry has to evolve, it has to adapt and has to climb a different way.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm always going to chase my oscar. I'm always gonna give my auditions the best I can give, And when I'm on set, i's gonna be that plumber that comes in and has all the tools and just leaves your receipt and says I'm out.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm actually now curious as to what you're doing next, what you're working on, and I'd love to hear more even after we get off on the stuff you're doing.
Speaker 2: Sure, I'm on the film side always. I just am staying focused. I just you want to know what I do. I pursue what I love. That's what life's about, and I make that what it's about.
Speaker 3: Well, that you have one life. You know that you have one life, You have a certain amount of years and you've got to do it. If you don't do it, that's that's sort of it. You know, unless you believe you're incarnations and you do have another chance.
Speaker 2: But maybe an animal, maybe I'll be an orca. I wouldn't mind being an orca, do it. That'd be cool, that'd be cool.
Speaker 3: They are very intelligent. Now you get the intelligence, you get the underwater life.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I'm a mammal.
Speaker 3: Mammal, You're still a mammal. You're still in that mammal faith.
Speaker 2: That's right, warm blooded, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah. But no, man, it's like, yeah, it's you got to do what you love, and whether that's film, whether it's you know, military and again my love with military films. There was this period during the early two thousands, I would say, mid to late two thousands where military films were the thing and there were a lot of them, and they aren't as many anymore, and I it's stopped, man, it's stopped. I've written another, I've written another one, and you know, trying to find someone to make it. And it's it's really challenging. A lot of films want to be you.
Speaker 2: I watched like the last war movie I saw was like nineteen eighteen. That was a good one World War two, that was.
Speaker 3: One shot, like they were trying to do the entire thing in one shot. I really enjoyed that film.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh you know what else? Was good. Dead Presidents. You ever see Dead Presidents.
Speaker 3: The old film from like the nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, like cleon you better get it head, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 3: That's another classic. That's another classic. Yes, well you went back to that one.
Speaker 2: I love the firefight scenes bro in that like that the whole the sound of the grease gun that the lieutenant had, the sound of all their firearms everything going off in there. That was really like you know that ambush scene and everything when they're fighting.
Speaker 3: No, that's that's another another great film. That film. Those type of films are very rarely made anymore, unfortunately in this era. But I believe that after this strike, things in LA things in Hollywood are going to change. I really do, I really really do.
Speaker 2: Well. I stand with all of you out there, all my fellow actors, writers, directors, everybody out there that's fighting the good fight against you know, n Goliath out there. You know it takes a village, all right, I'll just say that. So I just want to let me wind this down. I've stolen you for an hour of your time, and that's I love that. I don't want to ever abuse our life interacting with one another. So Dwayne World, he wrote Andron, it's going to be out in all of the bookstores. Go support your local mama pops who will be carrying this. Check the local airport and see if there's a sign one. Just buy it, bye, Yeah, just buy it. Hit him up on Instagram say hey about your book. Check it out. He might share you in a story.
Speaker 3: Oh I will. I definitely will look for in Throw when it comes out September first Amazon, on Amazon or any online bookstore, you will find it. And yeah, give me a shout out and I will shot you out too. Instagram, Twitter. You can find me at Dwayne warrel on in Twitter and Instagram or at my website Dwayne warrel dot com.
Speaker 2: Perfect well, Dwayne, that was a great way to close out this segment. And I your host rad have had a pleasure of interviewing you, talking to you, getting to know you. And I want to say thanks to my listener out there, thanks for always tuning in giving me a chance to talk with some guests that have great stories and things to tell us. And again, go check out that Mert shop on softwarep dot com. And I got to say a big shout out to Brandon Webb, also an author. He has the whole Blind, Fear, Hold, Fear, Steal, Fear series out now, so please go check out those books as well. And I'm the voice of Finn, so if you want to hear more of me, audio bullet. So with that said, on behalf of my guest Dwayne, I'm gonna say it please, you've
Speaker 1: Been listening to self red Radio