Speaker 1: Hi. I'm Vanessa Mayor and this is my brother Jonah.
Speaker 2: We're two siblings who love to talk about our childhood in nostalgia and how shaped us into the people we are today.
Speaker 1: Who are pretty post if I do so so myself.
Speaker 3: Welcome to how did we get weird?
Speaker 1: So Jonah, I know we're both really excited about our guests today. And I think when I first met him a little while back, we actually went to his home.
Speaker 2: Well, I was hanging out at his house. I think he's nodding, so I think he remembers this. We were working on something. I think Chris Fern was also there, and maybe he'll remember the contest a little more. At some point, you were in the area or something and you wanted to come by, and you were basically like showed up and then we're like, can I take a nap at your house?
Speaker 4: And I was like yeah, sure, And then he went to sleep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I took a nap for a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then I went and picked up merch and then when I got back, you were gone, wow, and Chris and Laura were like, oh man. Vanessa told us all these cool stories about SNL, and I'm like, great, cool, cool, cool cool cool.
Speaker 1: Oh so I woke up and told stories before I left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, that's kind of the least you could do, Vanessa. Don't you feel like, I mean, you're showing up for someone just asking to take a nap.
Speaker 3: You gotta at least well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I didn't get the stories. Yeah, I got the Yeah. I went to Kinko's. I got like seven inch inserts or something.
Speaker 2: In case you haven't noticed from downloading this podcast seeing jess name or the photo of him promoting a.
Speaker 4: Guest name on the podcast, I know.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, we put the guest name and then we act like no one knows who it is.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just classic podcasts culture.
Speaker 3: That's cool, that's cool, it's cool. We'd like to keep the mystery alive.
Speaker 2: But our guest today is a musician you might know friends work, you know, bomb the music industry. He also does a lot of work as composer for cartoons, but you most likely just on miss Jeff Roads and Stock. He's a new album out called hell Mode that just came out. Let's welcome Jeff Rhoads and Stock. Hi, Jeff, Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Vanessa and Jonah, I'm stoked to be here and great and yeah, thanks, thank you so much, Thank you.
Speaker 3: Jeff.
Speaker 2: Do you remember the context of this, You're like, Vanessa's gonna nap. Yeah, I think Vanessa you sprang and we went.
Speaker 1: There with you, Jonah. But you're saying I was in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: I thought you came later. I guess it didn't matter.
Speaker 1: Maybe I did. I remember the room I slept in, like I sort of remember what it looked like, and I just remember getting some great sleep in there.
Speaker 4: Glad our mattress did did good. I remember you were like, is that weird? Like, no, go to you're tired?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember hearing you guys. Were you maybe doing a podcast while I was there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were probably doing because me and my friend Chris fair And have a lost podcast called to the Island, and Jonah has been a guest on a handful of episodes.
Speaker 1: You know what, I wonder if you were doing that, Jonah, you were being a guest on their podcast while I was taking a nap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's definitely possible.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like this story kind of like continues in a weird way in kind of like surprising things because I Jeff met your sister and we like became friends. And then she's a very funny television writer. Your sister Kim, and we had gotten coffee, We've gotten breakfast a bunch of times, never made the connection that our brothers were friends. And then she was telling me about the show and I realized her last name was Rosenstock, and that's not a last name you hear all the time. And she was sort of like, my brother's in the music scene. And I was like, so is my brother, Oh I think, I said, is your brother Jeff Rosenstock? And she said yes? And I was like, what the hell because I feel like Jonah talks about you so much and was like and I was like, oh my god, our brothers are friends. The fact that that happened after she and I had hung out several times, I think it's pretty crazy. And also she lives in La yeah, and I do now too, but at the time I think I was living in New York anyway.
Speaker 4: Pretty wild. Yeah, it's wild. Usually the connection with my sister does not pop up as much as you think it would do, being that we're both in entertainment fields or whatever. But like, yeah, that's funny, that's funny.
Speaker 2: See, yeah, Vanessa, did you ask to take a nap at Jeff's sister's place.
Speaker 1: Or no, I haven't yet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you gotta go Goldilock style with me and my sister and my brother. Sounds like I'm in the lead already, but yes.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure? And where does your brother live?
Speaker 4: He lives on the Panhandle of Florida, so that'll be harder than yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know the podcast flight that's rue. That's right, that's true. Jeff, I was like incredibly stressed out to talk to you. Not incredibly stressed out, but I was worried because I just read this dan Azzi Guardian interview about how busy you are, and I was like, is this like annoying for Jeff?
Speaker 3: Is Jeff feeling a bit?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: How what's your busy level right now? How are you feeling?
Speaker 4: So We're out in Long Island doing band practice before we go on tour for a couple of days. I had like a lull in between finishing my work on the Craig Score and I'm flying out here and the record coming out, and I got like sick enough that I tested for COVID negative. Nice, but like I was just like dead sick for like three days and like traveling and having band practice. It was a nightmare. But I've turned a corner. Yesterday, I'm feeling good. I'm drinking a coffee, we're chilling out. I would say, I'm not that busy right now. I don't know how do you answer that question? How do you quote what? Like? On a scale of one to thirty.
Speaker 1: Sure, I like that scale because it leaves room for nuance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty two eighteen around there in that range.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's pretty good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, compared to like twenty nine or thirty okay normally, yeah, because that's the highest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the highest is thirty.
Speaker 2: I found Dan's article to be really enjoyed reading it, and you know, him talking about your apartment in Green Point where Vanessa tic the nap and just I remember just like LP mailers, you know, everywhere, like we should write something, you know, you right, and it's like to me it was like not like dirty, but but it was it was It's okay. Well to me, it felt like a legitimate like punk. It was like legit punk, not like because you had like us rotten posters up or something, because you were like running this kind of DIY business and it was like so much your your life, and to me that was like that was really.
Speaker 4: Cool, thanks man, Yeah it was, I'll tell you. So we moved to LA and not have it to fucking carry records up three flights of stairs. It's better, Yeah, it's better to not have to carry thousands of records up and down those stairs.
Speaker 2: Yes, are you happy? Like, do you miss anything about New York Hereah? For like everything, Yeah, new York's about LA's Yeah cool.
Speaker 4: I love New York, though, I feel like every time I've come back to visit, I'm like, oh, yeah, this is where I'm from. Yeah, I don't know. I like me. I feel like I'm slowly assimilated to LA. Like I moved right before the pandemic, so it was like.
Speaker 1: I sort of did too. Yeah, well maybe a year before, but but it feels like right before.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, were you taken aback? Also, that things are just like closed at like nine, yes, at nine.
Speaker 1: That things are closed. Yes, it is crazy. Although I think the longer I've lived here, the more LA has become like New York in that you technically could order in food at really any time of night now, but you can't.
Speaker 4: Yes where you ordered food from?
Speaker 1: Okay, I would really love for them to sponsor us without having to give them an out. But like there's like a door dash of Postmates. In New York, we did Seamless, which I think.
Speaker 4: Here is seamless and grub Hub.
Speaker 1: Grub Hub became one yes, right, yes, right, but that stuff all exists. You can do it it just like in New York you could order from like any place that you like, even a really nice restaurant that you'd go to at like eight o'clock, you could order from it like one in the morning, whereas you can't do that here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well those food apps and stuff like I don't do it because I'm so used to the New York. Like, you know, you order Chinese food and like some guy brings it to you and it's like cool, here's your tip, but like there's like service fees and then app fees and then like a fake tip that they're like this is just for maybe we'll give it to the driver, and then it's like fifteen twenty dollars extra and then all of a sudden you're spending like thirty five dollars on pancakes, and I'm just like, yeah, I've got that kind of money spent up pancakes.
Speaker 1: I think I had rolled into it kind of and gotten used to it in New York, because in New York I would often just out of pure laziness, order like a bagel, and it would be like a three dollars bagel, and I'd pay either all these fees so I could get it delivered, or I would order a bagel and a huge cookie and all this stuff to meet the minimum. And I'd be like, well, I guess I'm meeting the minimum, so you know, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: I've definitely done that where it's like, yeah, I guess I'll get like this, I don't monkey bread. Sure, fine, is what's it eight dollars fifteen? Yet let's go yes exactly.
Speaker 1: I think New York was really good training for that because here those minimums, you know, depending on where you're ordering from, even if it's two in the morning, especially if it's two in the morning, those minimums are pretty high. So you have to you know, depending on where you're ordering from, order milk. Order you know.
Speaker 4: Milk, huh, yeah, you're ordering milk at two am.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes what I'll do is I'll go, okay, if I were grocery shopping. Now, like, let's think outside the box, if you will, Like, let's let's not just focus on two am, Vanessa, what do I want? Let's think about what am I going to want for this week?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 3: Sure smart.
Speaker 2: I live in a rural area in western Massachusetts, and here, like it's like the opposite. The restaurants are open like Tuesday through Thursday from like two to seven o'clock. Like everything's open, very weird hour. LA does that too, they do. It's Yeah, it's so colocated.
Speaker 1: I ordered seamless or door Dash for Jonah once when he was sick and I ordered him. I wanted to get him like soup. So I got him like one ton soup, and the options to deliver to him were like three places total.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we don't have Uber out here. We don't have a lot of that stuff. But you know, you make a sandwich.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but you know you can deliver to So I've delivered Corky and Lenny's to mom and Dad's place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, through one of those apps. Jeff, getting into your childhood a little bit, believe or not. We didn't come here to talk food apps with you. Although I know that is a passion of yours, it's certainly a passion of mine. I'm curious, like you grew up, and I don't want to say this wrong. I know this is kind of controversial. It's on Long Island.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't really know the answer to the question you're asking me.
Speaker 3: People say, in Long Island or on Long Island.
Speaker 4: I named a record to Leave or Die in Long Island, and I have a lot of people be like, isn't it on Long Island? Long Island? I was like, oh shit, I've never really thought about which one. I say, Okay, I don't know the answer question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know either. Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 4: I don't think it matters. Man, you know, just look at truth. You know, why are you hung up on this shit? It's fucked up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's true.
Speaker 2: Well, what was your kind of entry point into like punk, I guess, or music? Like were you listening? Was it your siblings or it was the kids at school or what was your.
Speaker 4: It was like a weird combo of like I had babysitters who would listen to like metal, Okay, and I got into like Anthrax and Guns and Roses and like some hair metal shit like Slaughter and White Lion and that kind of stuff. And then a friend of my brothers was into like death metal and I was like, oh, this is my shit. And it was like Death and Da Side and Cannibal Corpse and bands like that, and I was like a kid. I was like this, this is fast, but this is loud, and I like this. And there was also like just like hearing rap a lot too, and I was like, oh, like Public Enemy and keras One. I was like, oh, oh, I like this too. And then I think through all that, finding like Faith No More and then finding mister Bungle through that and then being like what is this music happening with the Horns? And also Fishbone around the time was kind of metal yeah, and I was like, what is this music happening with the horns? And then also kind of like Nirvana and grunge bands were happening. And then when green Day kind of happened and there were like and when like green Day and Offspring were happening, like it all just kind of like made sense, this like fast, loud music, like I was also listening to like Biohazard, Like it was mostly those of like metal and hardcore bands and stuff, and then slowly, like I slowly got into like Green Day and the Offspring. I really liked the Offspring because they were fast. And then I saw that Green Day Woodstock performance. I was like, oh shit. And then I heard the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I was like, Oh, this guy screams. I was like, oh, this sounds like that mister bungle Fishbone stuff. And then I was like so I was like, yeah, that's SKA and I was like, oh okay, And then like I kind of just quickly like went down like the Epitaph W Records, rabbit Hole and like getting like two or three dollars comps and also that and like punk was just like blowing up so much that like you could just find every zine have like a sampler, and I was just like oh yeah listening to all that stuff. And then I had a zine and I would write to like small labels like Fearless at the time, which was a small label, and they'd send me like ten CDs of like ten like random ass California punk bands that I'd be like fourteen. It'd just be like this is all great, this is the best. I love this. You know, that's kind of the path I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had a kind of a similar I was.
Speaker 1: Gonna say, it sounds so similar to you, Johnna.
Speaker 3: I was really I mean White Line, you know when the children cry.
Speaker 2: They had some some classic shitay, But I was really into a lot of that Lamb stuff as well, and then got into like Operation Ivying, the Misfits and that kind of stuff, but also was into Faith No More and like Megadeth and all that kuff. Yeah, yes, yes, yes, Oh my gosh, Megadeth, Rust and Peace still rocks. Somebody stole that CD from my car.
Speaker 4: I'm sad. It was really rusted PCD. Someone broke into my car in front of my house. Couldn't like steal the car, but just took my CD book.
Speaker 1: That's that stinks.
Speaker 3: That's not cool.
Speaker 4: What are you gonna do with that?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: I was playing guitar around this time, and I feel like I learned like the first fifteen seconds of all those songs and then like gave up. But I can still play like the first, like the very beginning. I was like, I can't remember all this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're good at guitar. Those metal bands are good at guitar.
Speaker 3: They were really good. They were good.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a question for both of you? This is something that Kim, your sister Jeff, pointed out to me once, which is we were talking about our brothers and saying that they're both very sweet. You're both very sweet guys. And Kim was saying, I think part of the reason my brother is so sweet or something, or she noticed she was she said, he's he gets like any kind of aggression or any kind of frustration, I guess out when he's playing his music. He plays this really sort of like intense music and it allows him to just you know, obviously there's other factors too. You're probably genuinely just a very nice person, but like both of you, but that, like she was like, he has this outlet sort of for any kind of like frustration or whatever to sort of get it out with his music, and so he plays this music that I'll speak more to Jonah like I would say that Jonah's music sometimes I'm like, WHOA, this is scary and sounds like it's coming from maniacs in a positive way, but like, do you both feel that way that it allows you to be kind of more grounded and kind of sweet in your general lives that you play this music that is like, you know, this is my impresident of Jonah's bands, Like you know, they go we go to the park and it's all the all day, the park will be there, you know, like and then you go, yes, hey, can I get does anyone need a coffee? That's not exactly it, but I'm generalizing here, but this is a real question.
Speaker 3: I have, Uh, Jeff take it away.
Speaker 4: So I just finished. The answer is I don't know. I haven't thought about that until like a week ago. I don't know if do you know Noel Wells? She she was on mass You No No well So Noel plays Kelsey on Craig of the Creek and we were recording the last song that we're going to record for the show, and we were talking about stuff and she's like, yeah, this is fun. This is like rage therapy. People say you should do rage therapy. And I was like, oh, yeah, I guess that's just kind of like being in a band. She's like, yeah, I guess that's kind of what you do.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 4: And I was like, huh. I never really considered it interesting. I guess, so I think with like lyrics and stuff like, that's the obvious one where like, yeah, I feel that I feel cathartic about it or whatever. But like, I don't know if that lends to my personality. I don't know if I would. I don't because truthfully, like I don't know, I'm a grumpy guy sometimes and I'm impatient pretty frequently, and like I try to be nice and kind to people, but like, I don't know, like anybody, my worst impulses get the best of me. Sometimes I try to be nice. But uh, yeah, I don't know. I think it probably helps. The test would be I need to ask people if during twenty twenty if I was like a real piece of shit because I wasn't doing it, you know what I mean. It does definitely feel good to play in a band, and when I'm done, I'm like, who that was fun? I feel good, you know what I mean? So, yeah, I don't know. Maybe that is rage therapy, right, Jonah.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You know, this is something I kind of think about a lot, you know, because I work in the mental health field now also, and I do a lot of work around the intersection music and mental health. So I do think there is like a cathartic energy to playing aggressive music, Like I do think when you get up there, it is you know, and there's the energy of the audience. And I feel like my parts, like especially in you Our Nations, are kind of slow, like there's a lot of blast beats happening, and then I notice like my parts are kind of more like slow almost like this meditative feeling.
Speaker 3: So I do think so.
Speaker 2: But I think the other thing that you're hitting up and ess is like I think some of the people that might be intimidating looking to people a lot, like outside of the genre, like people with a lot of tattoos and piercings tend to be like the nicest people like you, you know what I mean. And I think maybe people they get judged in some ways because they don't present as like super you know, normative or whatever. But I think those people tend to be like so nice, Like even in like the you know, in the metal community, all these people like you talk to them and they're like, oh, hey, what's up, you know, So yeah.
Speaker 1: I wonder if that has to do with like they're so comfortable expressing themselves that whether it be through like you know, getting a bunch of tattoos and piercings and stuff like that, or you know, Joe in this case in high school putting like peanut butter in their hair to have dreadlocks or whatever the thing.
Speaker 3: Is, peanut butter. Yeah, you got to work with what you got.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But like because they're because they're like you know, people that are really expressing themselves through any means, whether it be through music or their appearance or whatever. It's like, then they don't feel like the frustration of like I gotta express you know, I'm feeling like I'm holding in all of this self expression or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. I mean also like I feel like I've slowly like been become okay, like being a sweet person. Like I think when you're growing up as a guy, you're conditioned to like be competitive and be aggressive and have this certain kind of like macho bullshit to you. And it took me a really long time to realize like I don't need to do that. And I don't know if that's connected with being in a band. I think that was just connected with being older and being like, oh I can actually be myself and I don't have to like do that shit, you know what I mean? Yeah, Yeah, So I don't know if it's being in a band or if it's just getting older and being like, man, fuck, I think all that shit is stupid, and I'm not gonna I don't want to. I want to be like the person that I would like to be, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I think that's true, and I think, you know, the culture has changed, but I also think being in a band forces you to really like learn how to hopefully learn how to like communicate with people, and like, you know, you.
Speaker 4: Certainly haven't met like eighty five percent of people in bands.
Speaker 2: No, I know, I know, And like, as I'm saying this, I'm like, but in an ideal world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the idea, you know, it forces you.
Speaker 2: The bands that we're friends with, yes, yes, all the bands that we know amazing and communication, Yes, they always on the same page.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, But yeah, I think I think there's something to all.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, you're right, Jeff, like getting older and sort of realizing the things that maybe like people you thought were important or that society said you were important. Like, you get older and sometimes you just like care about stuff least you're like, I don't need to act a certain way, like I can just do my thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And also I think as much as like the needle has like shifted towards like scary like right wing times in a lot of ways, Like I think younger people are more like open to expressing themselves however you want to express yourself. Yeah, I think that's fucking tight. I think like the future is moving in the right direction, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, I guess this is a great time for us to take a commercial break.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we should listen to it at.
Speaker 1: And we'll be and we'll be back with both of these little sweeties. If you ask their sisters, they've been not just as an adult, they've been sweeties for their whole lives. We'll be right back with Jeff Rosenstock, you know. And Jonah was who I was referencing right after the break.
Speaker 2: And we're back. So, Jeff, you sent a bunch of amazing topics over for us today.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The one we landed on, you know, is the price is right Obviously, Bob Barker sadly passed away recently, and you know what.
Speaker 4: Not the judgment nights soundtrack Hunt.
Speaker 6: Well, I also do want to talk about the judgment that soundtrack familiar with this, but yeah it's not. Jeff, why did that topic kind of come to mind for you? Is that show you watched a lot as of kid?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I watched it a ton when I was a kid, And like, honestly, Bob Barker's passing didn't really even factor into it. Just like when I was a kid, Like I was just obsessed with game shows and Price Right is the game show, you know, And yeah, I like my first thought when I was a kids, like I want to be a game show host, Like like a I'd like an action figure that was called mister Game Show, I think, and like wow, you'd press a button on it and be like come on down or something like that. Like I was was like obsessed and stuff, and I would watch it whenever I could, you know, whenever I stayed home sick, I'd be like, just watch Prices Right Today.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Love Plinko, Planko, love Planko, love Matterhorn And uh, even though this is a nostalgia base, I think we have to admit that Drew Carry does a pretty good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not as familiar with it. I haven't watched as much as Drew. What do you think you think he's he's doing Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I see it in hotels like I see it in hotels sometimes. Yeah yeah, And I'm like, you know what, I didn't. I couldn't possibly picture someone else in that role as good as you could do. Yeah, he does good. He's fun. Yeah, very off the cuff, very much like, eh, what is this thing? Okay, all right, let's go. It's kind of a it's a different vibe. It's cool.
Speaker 2: Jew carries from Cleveland, our hometown, and yeah, hell ye. All I know about him is like people would be like I think I knew someone in the service indoor something is like Drew carry ordered a drink and then just like left a hundred dollar bill, and I was like, Okay, this guy seems pretty cool.
Speaker 1: He's very generous. You know, he's doing a thing now. At this point, the writers strike has been going on, you know, for over three months, maybe over close to four months, and there's two restaurants. There's Bob's Big Boy and a Swingers, and he writers can people in the Writers Guild can go eat there for free at any time, and.
Speaker 3: He just have to do. He pays for it.
Speaker 1: He pays for it.
Speaker 3: He has Wow.
Speaker 1: So like, if you're in the Writer's Guild and you show your card at either of those places in La he your food is free. It's paid for by Drew Carrick.
Speaker 4: How does that work with the door dash situation?
Speaker 3: Really, Vanessa? Can you order?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 3: I haven't tried.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is a really good I may have.
Speaker 3: To end this.
Speaker 4: Did I just ruin this for all the writers? That's awesome? What a nice guy?
Speaker 1: So nice.
Speaker 4: Damn. That's what if you're if you become like ridiculous, like you're the fucking host of prices, right, like, yeah, that kind of money, that's what you should do, help people out. So nice, it's so nice, nice guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you would do that, Jeff, if you were the host of I.
Speaker 4: Would do that. Yeah. It's like the I mean this is like basically like the crux of the writers strike is the way that the money gets divided makes no fucking sense. It's completely unbalanced, and it's just like it's nice when someone who gets the other end of the imbalance is like, Okay, I'm going to try and shift some over here. Because the powers that be are not going to do that, you know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's amazing. So so yeah plinko. What were there any other games that were like matterhorn?
Speaker 4: I like the game with the car where you had like the five numbers, Yeah, and you had to like flip them around to make it the price of the car and then you won the car. That was always fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, I.
Speaker 4: Always wanted to spin the wheel. Yeah, okay, you were saying in the intro you went, and does do they let everyone in the audience just spin the wheel one time? Like on the road.
Speaker 2: Here's what happened. Yeah, we were talking before the podcast. I was on the I wasn't a contestant, but I went. I did a semester.
Speaker 4: We're in the crowd.
Speaker 2: I was in the crowd, but my roommate I was in college. So I did a semester college in LA in like two thousand and two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: Somehow we went.
Speaker 2: My whole class, like the whole group of the LA program for my college went is maybe like ten maybe like fifteen kids matching shirts and we went. I don't think we had matching shirts, but a lot of people had. Like I went to Ithaca College. A lot of people had like itthic couldn't merch on, and we were basically like to really show you were in college. Yeah, we're basically where like the odds are one of us is going to get picked.
Speaker 3: And then it turned out.
Speaker 1: Because because why jon't just I think.
Speaker 3: When you go with a big group, they tend to maybe pick one person, and.
Speaker 1: When you're from a specific group, I think like it's like we're all coming from this one college. Like it's like, oh great, let's take one of these college kids. That's like a fun thing.
Speaker 4: And they want people at Ithaca to keep watching the prices, right, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, Well here's here's what happened.
Speaker 2: Actually, the guy picking who gets on the show went was an ethical college person.
Speaker 1: The guy who gets on, Yes, So basically you get tickets.
Speaker 2: Or something and you're in line and this guy comes through and basically kind of interviews people as you're waiting, and he's a guy I guess picking who gets on. And my roommate Jay knew this guy because I think he was only like a few years older than us or something.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Somehow Jay knew him, and I was like total nemo baby yes, So so we do this interview. We're sitting there and you know, we have the name tags, like the big yellow name tags that look like the tickets and everything, and I don't know, at some point they call my roommate's name, and so we had a VHS of it. I'm in it because I'm sitting next to him. He runs down there, gets on bids on this projection TV. Do you remember those rear projection TVs. Sure, they were like huge, giant, giant backs. Yes, So he bids. He wins this projection TV. Gets to play a game and it's like almost like a mini golf putting game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't remember the name, but I know the game you were talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a putting game or something. He's up for some kind of trip to Japan. Maybe it wasn't a putting I don't remember the game, but he's up for a trip to Japan. He loses, then he goes over on the wheel, but he gets a TV. Okay, so we get back to Ithaca and you can either keep the prize or you can forfeit it because you have to pay tax on it.
Speaker 4: When you forfeited, do you get the money or no.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's just like if you can't pay the tax on it, because probably if you get a car or something, you have to pay like thousands of dollars for it.
Speaker 3: Still, but they so sad the truth. I know.
Speaker 1: I know, peek behind the curtain and it's a bummer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, damn dog, Why you got to fuck us up with them?
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 3: But they paid for the shipping for free, and this TV must have cost so much to ship. So he paid a couple hundred bucks for the tax. And we had this really really gross apartment with this like four thousand dollars Riar protection TV in it, and I lived at for a couple of years, and every time we moved we had to like load this TV into like a flatbed truck. It took like three people to lift it.
Speaker 4: It was like, did you have to move it downstairs and stuff?
Speaker 2: No, luckily we were on the first floor. But it was like this TV was so big and heavy. Yeah, but he also got a signed Bob Barker picture cool and you know and all that stuff. But yeah, that was my experience. We got the TV and we had this like really nice TV for years and now for probably one hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: You can get away better TV that you can carry yourself.
Speaker 4: That's raight. Yeah, that's fun. Yeah, how like I feel like I've thought about going. I'll go at some point in my life. I really want to go. I want to go. See you should go, But like that like contestant interview beforehand seems really kind of terrifying to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think luckily I was only like twenty, so I like wasn't I was just like, oh whatever, you know, Like, but now as an adult I would be much more strategic.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think there was like there was a documentary about the prices right that came out a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Did you do either of you see that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I gotta see it.
Speaker 2: No, there's a guy who was like had figured out the price of everything and would like go to the show. Yeah, I'd shout step out and he would always be right and like it was Yeah it's kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's incredible. Yeah, Jeff, were there any other shows that you were into? Other game shows?
Speaker 4: I really liked Press Your Luck? Oh yeah, loved the Whammie.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What was it about those that as a kid was so appealing because it was a cartoon or I think so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for like just thinking about even me right now, like cartoon flashing lights pretty chaotic, doesn't really seem to follow any sort of rules. Also, it felt it feels kind of like live television in a way where it's just like you get the impression that they don't reshoot anything on those things. They're just like blasting through like ten as fast as they can, and there's some chaos in that, which is really which maybe that's what I was drawn to when I was a kid, even if I didn't know it at the time, you know what I mean. So, like that show card Sharks, I was really into. Those are the ones I could I could remember specifically off the top of my head. And then when I got older, I was really into lingo, and I was really good at lingo. I could always get it before the contestants did. And then I was going to go and try and be a contestant, but I didn't do it, and then wordle happened, and I'm terrible at wordles, so I guess I lost lots of fire. Lost the fire.
Speaker 1: You know. We did a sketch on SNL once where we did a game show and it was sort.
Speaker 3: Of seeing happened kind of a lot, Vanessa, Huh, I guess we did.
Speaker 1: Game shows a lot. Okay, to be fair, we did game shows a lot, and I was often one of the people behind, like the little like one of the contestants. But one time we did this sketch where Maya Rudolph was the guest and it was Kristen and Maya Rudolph. They were playing like the prices, right women who like show off the prizes that people could potentially win, and Bill was the host and somehow I was like his assistant or something, or I don't or I guess no, I was the contestant. Either way, everybody broke in it because because Kristin and Maya got into this golf car little golf cart thing and they were like running through the set and stuff, and it like went so it would always go off the rails and rehearsals, but it went so off the rails live that everybody started laughing except for me, and Lauren told me that the only reason that sketch I've worked and didn't turn into complete garbage was because I didn't start laughing like everybody else. It was like one of those sketches where like truly everybody loses it and I was losing it too, but I was conscious of when the camera was on me, and to be fair, I had like the least to do in this sketch, so I was like sort of more safe than they were. But it was so fun And it was so funny because Kristin and Maya were just like like flasting through the set and stuff, and they were playing those like sort of prices right girls, and they were just couldn't like say anything, and Bill couldn't say anything like they just it was so funny. But I guess I saved the day. I guess is why I told that story.
Speaker 2: But it sounds like by being stoic, by being stowic, Well, Vanessa, you're pretty good at at not laughing.
Speaker 3: I mean that seems like that would be very difficult at times.
Speaker 1: I was on the show for seven seasons. I didn't break, and that's what we would call it. I didn't start laughing during a sketch until the last episode of my sixth season.
Speaker 4: Wow, damn, that's a good track record. Do you get in trouble if you break? Or are they just like that?
Speaker 1: The thing is don't you don't get in trouble but you are told not to. And I'm such a rule follower, and so I was always scared of starting to laugh. And also when I would watch the show as a kid, like, I think it's so funny when people would start laughing, but it's like, I feel like it's always the most funny if it feels like really genuine. So I was like, I can't. It has to be a situation where I literally can't help myself. And that's what ended up happening because Fred Armison was doing this really funny character and I didn't know the camera was going to be on me next. I had forgotten because I was so amused by him, and then I had a really long line and I couldn't get it together.
Speaker 4: That's got to be a crazy thing, because yeah, as a fan, when you watch SNL, like those moments are that, like they're fun, that's that's like my favorite shit when that happens. But if it happens all the time.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, then he sort of feels less genuine, I know. And that was always my fears. I was like, I don't want to be like laughing all the time. And be there, and also I don't want to get in trouble, you know, Like so I didn't do it for such a long time. I lasted. I wonder if that I wonder if that's a record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was wondering do they have is that the record that seems six years seems like a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, Yeah, I think it's a record.
Speaker 1: I think it's a record. It was well for it show. Yeah, thank you, You're welcome, thank.
Speaker 3: You so much. But yeah.
Speaker 2: The other thing that's so memorable to me when I think about the prices, right, is Bob Barker's cameo and Happy Gilmore.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Great, all time great cameo, all.
Speaker 3: Time great cameo. Oh my gosh, what a cool guy that he would do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've been I talked about this recently a vest I've been watching a lot of early two thousands Adam Sandler movies recently, and there are some interesting There's a I don't know if you've ever seen the film Anger Management, Jeff.
Speaker 4: No, dude, should I This is like an area of Adam Sandler movies. I'm like, Okay, I don't know if I I don't know if I'm in here.
Speaker 3: That's how I was.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's kind of a weird scene, but there's there's like a Rudy Juliani cameo in Anger Management when he's like a hero. It's like mister Julia and it's there at a game and now you're watching, you're just like, oh man, what was with.
Speaker 4: Like comedy in the nineties and two thousands where we were like, hey, let's get Rudy Giuliani in face like he's such a like obvious piece of shit he was then he is now like what's he doing on seinfilm?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so crazy. Well, also, people really loved him. I mean like remember after nine to eleven not to when they did when they came back and did SNL. He was in the opening credits. They had like this choir sing and then they did like this really beautiful opening and then it's like such a great opening. Lauren says something to him like can we make people laugh again? Or something like that, and Rudy Giuliani says, why start now? And it's so funny because it's like, you know, classic burn. But it's also just like I feel like people thought he was so great and he has fallen so far in such a you know, we're not from New York, so I don't know how he was. Yeah, I guess not. I guess the reason I knew about him was because of unfortunately, because of nine to eleven, Like that's when New York, look, you know, politicians became more.
Speaker 4: Nationally fucking mayor, he wasn't the mayor anymore. So like the undercurrent of that is that a guy who was not the mayor was on TV being like, hey, I'm still the mayor kind of right, and he was using like a fucking giant tragedy to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's he's a piece of shit. I thought he was mayor when all of that happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's crazy, right, he was kind of like, I'm still kind of the mayor. You're gonna kind of need me, right, Everybody in New York's like, we don't need any of you Bloomberg, Giuliani fuck yeah yeah, or I say everybody every other nineteen year old in New York.
Speaker 3: But it's true, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It also was like to that time in comedy movies, I felt like you had to have some kind of like cameo from someone like a straight guy yeah, someone famous, but not like super like some kind of weird area where it's like this, Yeah, I don't know all those films.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they still do it like Eminem and uh this is forty Oh yeah that's a weird cameo. Yep, yep, it's fun though.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He's one of the people I was the most starstruck by on SNL was Eminem.
Speaker 4: I believe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't you think.
Speaker 1: You'd be so? I was so And one time I was walking off the stage and he helped me off the stage, like he put his hand out and he was like, here you go, sweetheart, and I was like, oh my god, I guess I'm in love. Like he was so and I really I wanted to do all these stupid sketches with him and the producers just like he's not doing sketches this week. And I was like when he was just like the musical guest. But yeah, he was so cool and I was so starstruck by him. And yet when I was like a teenager and I would hear his music, I'd be like, ugh, I'd changed the channel too violent, you know, like.
Speaker 4: I didn't like his you didn't like his raps about abusing yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't like his REPSI yeah, but yet meeting him as an adult, I was like, oh my god, I can barely speak, so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he's an icon. Whatever you think about his music, he's an icon. I just remembered I went to SNL when I was kid. I went to a rehearsal one, not when I was a kid, when I was in college and Eminem was a musical guest. Wow it was. It was the Norm MacDonald eminem one. Wow, my god, where Norm McDonald did this? Did the speech where he was like, so I got fired from the show because I'm not funny enough, and now I'm hosting the show, So it is it because I got funnier. No, it's because the show's really bad now. And I was just like amazed. And I remember seeing Eminem like in that hallway to get to the studio, yes, writing piggyback on some cast member, and I.
Speaker 2: Was just like, my god, Wow, New York City, Oh my god, Wow.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: That what an incredible show you were at. That's so cool.
Speaker 3: Did you win the tickets in the lottery or was that the.
Speaker 4: My girlfriend at the times family member did something for someone. I really it's fucked up. I can't remember who got me those tickets. And if you're listening to this, you know you have a right to be mad at me.
Speaker 3: Well, Jeff, it sounds like you might be a bit of a nepo baby yourself.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, and it comes full sir.
Speaker 4: Yes, we all have nepo baby in us.
Speaker 1: I believe a little bit, just a little bit.
Speaker 4: A little little tiny nepo baby ache it to get up.
Speaker 1: The other thing that just to bring it back really quickly to price is right. I think we would be remiss if we didn't mention the fact that Bob Barker at the end of every episode would say remember to spay and neuter you're yeah pets. And I always found that to be incredibly jarring, and I would always be like, what the hell. But now being an adult and having researched it, it's just because he was an animal lover and he didn't he you know, wanted people to responsibly. I don't know. I just remember hearing that at the end of the episode and being like, what the fuck is a kid?
Speaker 4: There was this cartoon I liked when I was a kid called two Stupid Dogs. I don't know if either if you remember this. No, the theme song is really good went two Stupid Dogs, Two Stupid Dogs, Two Stupid Dogs, and that was it, and there is hell yeah Olivia Olivia. Yeah. But I remember there being an episode where they were watching the Prices, right and him saying to get your pets, Spade and Dooter, and then be like no, and and that forming an opinion for me that like you shouldn't spay and pats that, you know, getting older, and be like, oh, yeah, he's just trying to help. Yeah, he's simply using his platform to try to help.
Speaker 3: It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I mean it's like he has his platform and he's able to kind of shoehorn this like message that like he advocates for in the end, Like you don't really see that very much on like a show like that.
Speaker 4: It's pretty cool. No, No, I wonder if he had to fight for them.
Speaker 3: I bet you did. I bet you did.
Speaker 2: And then probably he became so integral a show they're like, Okay, we have to this is just part of the deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what if Pat say Jack at the end of at the end of Wheel Fortune was like, remember to you know, recycle, Yeah, remember to reuse, recycle, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you think he was bummed he didn't have a helpful sign off.
Speaker 1: He was just you know, I I wonder if he was like, I should say something at the end of Wheel Fortune, like what's and then he was like, oh, then people are going to think I'm copying Bob Barker, and they're gonna be like Pat Stage as just a Bob Barker wanted to be, you know, like I wonder if that was his internal monologue.
Speaker 2: He's still hosting it, yes, I think he's just announced recently he's retiring. Yes, oh shit, but yeah, he's hosted it for so and Vanna is still on it.
Speaker 4: Vanna looks insane for like, it's crazy, it's crazy, it's cool.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that she used to be a part of an infomercial for some kind of tooth whitening or toothpaste. I say all this to say I think it has to do with she has great oral hygiene, and I think she takes really good care of her I mean, you're right, it's incredible, But I do think I like.
Speaker 4: Her causes teeth Bob Barker.
Speaker 1: I do think that that's like a really important you know, people got to take care of their teeth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think Kat's a Jack was probably like, what kind of sports car am I going to buy this week?
Speaker 3: Or something?
Speaker 1: Do not please?
Speaker 4: He does, he's got the he's got the look. Huh. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's probably like, Bob Barker, you can take care of animals all you want, I'm gonna leave you in the dust in this Porsche car, this prior testerosa. Yeah, he's like, oh, the contestant didn't win this car. I guess I'll just drive it off the lot because I'm pats a Jack is.
Speaker 4: That's how it works. The host gets the prices.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, but I think he gets I don't think he gets the prizes, but I think he gets like millions of dollars for every episode. So he's like, if I want these prizes, I'll buy him myself.
Speaker 4: They might offer him a choice.
Speaker 1: Do you want your paycheck this week?
Speaker 4: What happens to the fucking prizes?
Speaker 3: That's actually really good question.
Speaker 4: It's not like the car is on the next day. Like the car, it's always a new car.
Speaker 3: That's a really good point. Maybe they return, That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 1: Do you think they like get the they have like an agreement with all these different car This is actually a fascinating thing to look up, but like they have these agreements with these car companies that they're like, we want to borrow the car for the show, and then we'll give it back if the person doesn't win. If the person does win, we'll pay for it.
Speaker 4: And that's just the cost of the advertisement. So it's like a risk they take they might lose a car or advertising this show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well that's true. Like it's free advertisement for the car kind of because they talk about how great the car is. So maybe they get the car every episode. Like the car is something that the show gets for free because they're advertising it. And if the contestn't doesn't win it, then somebody in the staff goes like, you know, like whose turn is it this week to get the car?
Speaker 2: Yeah, packets Dibbs, and then he says yes or no, and if he doesn't want it, then it probably goes down the ladder.
Speaker 3: It goes to Vanna, yeah, Vanna next, Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: Then eventually some intern is like, I can't pay taxes on this car.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Pat's like sorry, and he goes away in his Ferrari Testarosa and like drives to a pet breeding site or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: He drives past the set of the Price is Right, and he goes fuck you, throws.
Speaker 4: A bunch of dogs in heat onto the set of Prices Right, trying spades.
Speaker 1: And Bob yells at him from the set. Nothing feels as good as being a good person, and Pat speed speeds off so angry.
Speaker 4: God, you got me again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's an incredible place to take a commercial break.
Speaker 4: I'd love to listen to another ad. Can we ken? We please?
Speaker 3: One more AD? One more ad? Only one more? Jeff please?
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with more Jeff rods and stuff. All right, Jeff, Yeah, we're back. Now we're gonna play a quick game called Yes Stalgia Nostalgia, where we bring up a nostalgic products show, etc. That's making a comeback. If you're into them, you can give it a nostalgia yahstaal ja, And if you're not, you can give it a no stall no.
Speaker 4: No no no no no no no no nostalgia.
Speaker 2: So the first one, this one is close to my heart is Green Day is celebrating their thirtieth anniversary of the nineteen ninety four album Dukie with this massive deluxe edition.
Speaker 3: Have you heard about this?
Speaker 4: I've heard about it, I haven't heard anything from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's a six LP four CD box set which has the original album, ten previously unreleased Dukie four track demos, seven Doukie cassette demos, a collection of six Dukie outtakes, as well as their live a woodstock set, and there Live in Barcelona set from ninety four, and I believe there's a colored vinyl version. It comes with like a Doukie doggie bag and some others kind of small kind of trinkets. But Jeff, what are your thoughts on the thirtieth anniversary box set?
Speaker 4: Okay? I need to? Can I ask two questions you might not be able to answer, sure? What's the cost of the box set? And what are the tracks that are previously unreleased?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I know the cost because I've put it in my cart and then not checked out about fifteen times. So if you buy it, it's one hundred and seventy five dollars for the.
Speaker 4: Vinyl okay, Okay, okay.
Speaker 2: But I found it as cheap as like one forty one fifty if you can find it on like a promo or find it on sale somewhere. Okay, I don't know the exact track listing. I do know that like they released the dookie demos, you can listen to those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know. I'm curious of the new song if the songs, because they did the Nimrod re release right and had bonus songs, and those songs not that great, and I love Nimrods maybe my favorite green Day record at times. Nimrod is my like green Day record. Yeah, it kicks ass, but it's got like nineteen songs on it, so it's no surprise that like they're like, hey, we we found these other songs, Like, oh, I wonder why they didn't make it onto your nineteen song record where you let every song onto this record. I'm saying, Yesstalgia for one, I think one hundred and seventy five dollars for that box set sounds surprisingly reasonable for a band like Green Day. I would have expected somewhere above two hundred bucks. I'm like, Okay, I don't know if I'm spending that money. Sure, But also a cool thing about box sets coming out in twenty twenty three is that they're all on streaming services for free anyway, Right, so you don't really have to get the box set and I'll get to listen to the Dukie demos. That's cool. Yes, I'm excited about that stuff.
Speaker 3: You're excited. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It comes with a roll of Dukie doggie bags, a five button set, an air freshener, postcard, bumper sticker, magnet sheet paper, airplane, black and white coloring page, and a poster with alternate cover art.
Speaker 4: That's sick. What are those bonus tracks? It's gotta say it on.
Speaker 3: There, right, it's gotta say it on here?
Speaker 2: Oh wait here it is, Yes, bonus tracks, his demos, cassette demo. I don't know if there's actual live sets, and then it's there's outtakes, cassette demos, four track demos, no new songs. I don't know if there's any new songs nostalgia. I think it's more demos, outtakes and live stuff. It's the woodstock set and the live in Barcelona said.
Speaker 4: How many versions of it could you listen to in a row? Like, what do you do with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: What do you do with that?
Speaker 3: Here's the other question.
Speaker 2: Who's buying the four CD set like that to me, you're either going to stream it for me or buy the ops.
Speaker 4: Someone with the car with a CD player. Yeah, whose CD book got stolen? Maybe yeah, maybe maybe someone. Maybe someone buys it for that person as a gift. I don't know. Maybe maybe for being on a podcast. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: You have a CD player currently in your car? Hell, yeah you do.
Speaker 4: I got a car when I moved to LA and it's twenty sixteen, I think before because that's the last car I could get with a CD player.
Speaker 3: In Okay, So that was important.
Speaker 4: I think CDs are good. I think CDs are good, and also as a person selling music, CDs are making a mild come back at the time.
Speaker 1: Oh interesting.
Speaker 2: I have an issue because I have like three thousand CDs in my parents' basement and I don't know what to do with them because they take up a lot of space.
Speaker 3: But I don't want to get rid of them.
Speaker 4: Put them in like a catalog, put them in like books. Put them in books that'll shrink that down. Yeah, maybe you can recycle the plastic. Yeah, I don't know. Then you're still stuck with CDs, but it's better and you get to alphabetize. Who doesn't like doing that?
Speaker 2: No, I know, because before everyone's like, you should just get rid of them, they're worthless, And now it feels like now people are like, no, you should, CDs are actually good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, biggest mistake that's a stretch, but a big mistake I made in my life is that when I moved to LA I was like, we've had this DVD collection. We have only been watching things that I've torrented on my plex or that I am streaming for the entire time the nine years we've lived in Green Point. Yeah, let's fucking get rid of these DVDs. We don't need to move them out there. And I regret that all the time. Why do you regret it? Getting rid of physical media is a mistake. I think that like this shit was streaming because it's built on very shaky foundation, and holding onto your physical media is a very good idea because it's at least something you have, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think when I took a nap in your room there were a lot of DVDs in there.
Speaker 4: I'm sure that's why we got rid of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, it's it's tough, right, Yeah, because I think you're right about that.
Speaker 3: But it's also like.
Speaker 4: There's probably a stack of like uncased DVDs. Yeah, maybe several stacks just sitting there. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Jeff's pro. I'm pro this also. I mean I saw a green Day on this tour. No, I'm no, I'm no, You're no, You're no because there's no bonus track.
Speaker 4: Give me one new song from the era.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, okay, yeah, I'm yes because, like I said, it's it's just reminds me of going that.
Speaker 3: This is a very formative tour for me.
Speaker 2: A show I saw them in Cleveland, Sam Am opened a Blossom Music Center ninety four. That's awesome, and it was. Yeah, it was a great I took I talked about in the podcast. I took a limo there with friends. Our parents all rented us a limo because weren't old enough to drive. I don't know how this happened now I sound like another baby.
Speaker 1: Mom and dad to help pay for almas.
Speaker 2: I think it was like twenty or thirty bucks a person, and it was like five of my friends and they were like, there was a limo who drove us there, then parked, waited the whole show. Then we came out and I remember us like moshing in the limo to greet Dan the driver being like.
Speaker 1: Wait, do you guys have to stop? Do you remember which one of your friends spearheaded this?
Speaker 3: I believe it was.
Speaker 2: I believe it was, uh Lee Rollins, Maybe maybe Lee's mom, Okay, but yeah, so anyways, I'm with it. I agree with Jeff. The bonus stuff would be nice. I do feel like you're probably listening to like just seventeen versions of the same song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also maybe maybe I am with it. I don't know. It's on six different LPs. You don't have to listen to them all in the row. I am curious about that Woodstock ninety four, like what their mix sounds like, because I had a bootleg of that when I was a kid that I would listen to just all the fucking time.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So so maybe Jeff's coming around on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it is on colored vinyl. They're all like different shades of brown vinyl that were there leaning into the So I'm pro and uh, you know, this would be a great birthday gift for me. Birthday's coming up later this month.
Speaker 4: I'm already trying to get it as a gift, So this is rude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry, Thank you, Vanessa. What are your thoughts on the Green Day Dookie box set?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm kind of pro it now that I know what you get for Hanukah.
Speaker 4: Yes, one LP for each night and then two nights of nothing.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I think this is cool. I like that it has you know, to me, I like that it has so much like merch that comes with it. I think that's really cool that there's so many merch elements. Also, I wonder if they you know that. I think the thing that really I was a big fan of the Dukie album. I think I used to borrow it from you, Jonah, and you probably couldn't pay you for it. What is this, Jonah? I don't know if we've talked about this on here. Jonah let me like sometimes I would have to like buy stuff from Jonah. Not not really. The only time I can remember it, but it's related to this is Jonah had a disc man and he let me buy it from him for forty five dollars, which is a lot, and then he like took it back from like it would always be like in his room and I'd be like Jonah, I bought this from you. But anyway, the thing I think I had the Dukie CD or else I borrowed it from Jonah at a price. But remember how there was the hidden song at the end of the album about I was all by myself? That song, like, I wonder if there's some kind of amped up version of that or that was to me always so cool when there were those hidden songs at the end, and a similar one on uh never Mind the Elanus Morris at Oh never Mind. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's that's the one I was talking about. Is there one of the more seconds, Yeah, oh there is. I didn't even know about that one. It was sort of similar to the one on Dukie. It was like about coming to someone's room. It was like I came to your room, looked at your CDs, oh somewhat you know what I'm talking.
Speaker 4: I remember this song, do you remember?
Speaker 1: And it was like, and I should be here something I usually sing more confidently on this podcast, but I just I don't have quite the memory recall it. But it was like there was It was really actually oddly similar to the bonus song on Dookie. But I wonder if they would kind of expand on that bonus Dookie song and I really love that album too, and I'm so I'm for it. It's a nostalgia for me.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay, great, what's the next one, Vanessa?
Speaker 1: The next one is Wendy's Strawberry Frosty is back in time for summer. Originally launched in twenty twenty two, Wendy's pulled the flavor from their menu after a limited run. Sure, we got the peppermint frosty during the holiday season and that was festive, But the warmer months, a lighter, fruity frosty will hit the spot.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, Jeff, So Yeah, So it's replacing the vanilla frosty our dad has. If you've listened to the podcast with Our Dad, he has a special Frosty card where he gets a free frosty.
Speaker 1: I wonder how he feels about that.
Speaker 3: I don't know, Jeff, what are your thoughts on a strawberry frosty.
Speaker 4: Well, my thoughts on strawberry ice cream is that it is one of the most underrated ice cream flavors. Yeah, it's a very good flavor.
Speaker 1: Guys are so similar.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know that I've ever had a strawberry Frosty, though, Yeah, I will say I don't understand why it has to displace another Frosty. True, Wendy's has the money get another machine in there for a seasonal flavor. Yeah, that's what I think. Dave Thomas trying to keep it all for himself instead of give the people three flavors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a regular Frostle's chocolate? Is that like the standard Frosty flavor?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: I always just thought about Frosty as like its own thing that wasn't even a flavor. It was just this is what it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a very light chocolate.
Speaker 2: I feel like, Yeah, And so I think there's something kind of nice about like sometimes I feel there's just like too many options with stuff now. It's like sometimes it's nice to not have too many. But I also agree with you, Jeff, I do think.
Speaker 4: Three is three too many.
Speaker 3: Three is not too many. I guess.
Speaker 2: I just feel like you go buy a bag of chips and it's like ten thousand bags of chips and you're like, I don't know, I don't know. Sometimes it feels like like too much for me. But I do agree strawberry underrated as a flavor. The other flavor I feel underrated is coffee ice cream.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but coffee ice cream house caffeine, and it does it.
Speaker 2: It's made of coffee, I know, but like is it real? Maybe these decaf or something coffee ice cream? Oh?
Speaker 4: I wish they made fuck a decaf coffee ice cream. Then I could eat it at night time and feel like a bat boy.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so so yeah, I'm for a strawberry frosty. I've never had one. I don't think. I think it would probably be very sweet.
Speaker 4: So I feel like with the frosty, at least, what I would do is I would dip my fries in the frosty.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's a classic move.
Speaker 4: And how would that go with strawberry? I don't know. I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 1: I think the answer is not. Well, oh no, oh no, that's just my opinion.
Speaker 4: Do you not like strawberry ice cream?
Speaker 1: Well, we'll get to me last I can tell you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Vanessa, let's let's get into it now. Look.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I want to take this opportunity to say to our many listeners who got excited about our when our dad was the guest on our podcast and talked about how he got this Frosty card that allows you to pay two dollars for charity and then you get a free Mini Frosty with every purchase. I have friends who went to Wendy's to get that card, and oddly that deal you could only get that card in the month of February. Really wow, So our dad thought that, like he got you get it for the year. So I think he was thinking, like, oh, I should have gone in January and then I would have gotten one more month of free Mini Frosty's. Come to find out, February was the only month they were offering that, so hopefully they'll offer it again when February rolls around again. But I really apologize for anybody who went to Wendy's to get that Frosty's Mini card and be real charitable like our dad and give two dollars for it. So anyways, but I will say this, Jonah's always been way more into a strawberry ice cream than me. I like chocolate and I like vanilla. I like chocolate more, but there's just no I'm never looking for a fruity ice cream. Are really dessert in general? Sure, there's sometimes I like them if they're forced on me. But I generally, you know, if I'm getting a frosty, I'm getting chocolate.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can you de frize in it? Yeah? Can you? Is it delicious? Yeah? Like why mess? I think the chocolate frosty I've never even I didn't even know vanilla frosty's existed. Now I'll come to hear they're being replaced by strawberry frosts for a limited time. I'm going, what plant an eye on? But at the same time, I'd say this is a nostalgia for me. Jonah, what would you.
Speaker 3: Say nostalgia for me? Yeah, I've talked about it. I like Starberry.
Speaker 4: I'll say, I'll say yestalgia. I don't remember the past version of it, but but I'm excited for the present version of it.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet that you're both like sweeties who play punk music and then would want strawberry Frosty's.
Speaker 4: I feel like my ultimate cold treat dessert is like rainbow Sherbert or like an Italian ice or something too. So it's all very like, Ooh, that's fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's incredible. I'm like, give me double chocolate ice cream brownie cookie too.
Speaker 2: Thick too much. It's too much, not for me, all right. The last one. Jeff is Fender has announced the long arrayed return of the time Delaune Stratocaster and this is I guess it's making a comeback in time for Blinks reunion tour and their latest album. It's got a Seymour dunky.
Speaker 4: I gotta look up this thing, hold on, yeah, look it up.
Speaker 1: This is celebrating the Blink one eighty two guitarist and singer's iconic career and sound.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's got a c neeck jumbo friends sound yeap vintage tuners, It's got original artwork on the neck plate and yeah, it's if you look it up.
Speaker 4: It comes in like so selling fast underneath the price tag of thirteen one hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Selling fast for thirteen hundred. It comes in these kind of like pasteli colors. Is like a blue green, yellow rosewood. So, so, Jeff, what do you think about this guitar? Is this something you think you would play?
Speaker 3: Not really? What are your thoughts? You?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think I would want a guitar that only has a bridge pick up on it.
Speaker 3: And yeah that's tough.
Speaker 4: I don't think I would want to pay thirteen hundred dollars to sound like Tom DeLong.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Fair.
Speaker 4: I do like the colors though, the colors that colors are good.
Speaker 3: It is weird.
Speaker 2: Just having a bridge pickup does feel that is kind of a weird move.
Speaker 4: I mean it works for a lot of people like there.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: When I was in high school and early college, I worked at a recording studio in Long Island and they would always tell all the bands they had to put their guitars on the bridge pickup or else the guitars would sound bad. And then a band came in to record and they're like, well, we like the neck pickups. And I was like, well, they told me you're supposed to only put on the bridge and they were like, but this is how we like it. I was like, Okay, fuck it, let's do it. And then I got fired.
Speaker 3: Wow that is some serious tone policing.
Speaker 4: There was some tone policing. Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I've always been, you know, like Les Paul into the Orange or Marshall, just like very traditional.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I like that.
Speaker 2: It's also probably why I have bad posture because I played like the world's heaviest guitars and I'm like hunched over with them. But yeah, this would be tough for me. I do think the colors are cool. I saw guns and roses the other night and Duff McKagan to me was like the one of the coolest looking people ever. And I've been researching his signature Fender base, the one without the pickard, and I kind of want that. I do like the idea sometimes of signature instruments.
Speaker 4: That's interesting because I was thinking, like, I don't know about a signature instrument, like if you're in a band or you're like, hey and look I'm doing the tom a long thing, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, right right, right, Well, I think it's weird, Like I mean, I think it's tough. Mkagan bass is sick, though the deaf mcagan bassis is sick. I mean also ANESSO great present for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's only fifteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know Jack Antonov, I remember who We did a podcast with him and he was playing like a Frank Yaro signature guitar just because he liked the guitar, and to me, that was really cool. I think it it can work if it's not too on the nose. If you're in a band that sounds like blink, I feel like you can't just get the timed long guitar. But if you're in a different kind of band and you're like this guitar actually, like I like the neck, I think then it's it's okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you For a while you would see a lot of people playing that j Mascus guitar like it's like a white jazz master with a gold pickguard, and it was just.
Speaker 3: Because it was cheap and good, right right.
Speaker 4: I think the cheapness is like like the price having a low price on like a signature thing. That's the move because you're like trying to look at fans who are likely young and don't have a lot of money and trying to get them into playing music and stuff, which I think is cool. But I think charge a thirteen hundred dollars for a tommed long guitar. As much as I like Fender, as much as I appreciate their instruments.
Speaker 2: Yes, has I would ever come and said we're interested in doing a Jeff Rosenstock Sender sure guitar.
Speaker 4: No, we we I have a Fender rep. But I've been like, hey, should do a signature guitar and I don't get a reply to that email.
Speaker 2: It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. It's gonna happen. What would your signature?
Speaker 4: What would it be?
Speaker 3: What would it be?
Speaker 4: It would there are a few things. The tuning heads would have to be able to stay in tune. It would have to be like rustproof, so if you sweat a lot like I do, it just like smart. It would just like whatever it could be that it's cheap and doesn't break. I don't care about the body shape. I don't care about like the rest of it, as long as it's cheap, stays in tune, doesn't break, has a wambi bar, everything else they could decide fair enough.
Speaker 5: Don't know.
Speaker 1: What would your signature guitar be?
Speaker 2: Yet?
Speaker 3: Light? Lightweight?
Speaker 2: You know after your last fall? Yeah, the opposite, I like, I like the shape less. Yeah, just light, I'd like, Yeah, stays in tune. I'd want a couple of humbuckers on it, and uh yeah, just simple, just simple, simple and light.
Speaker 4: Vanessa, what would your signature guitar? Yeah, Vanessa, what.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna just have a bridge pick up, That's right. Okay, if you think that's all, I'll do then and charge searteen hundred dollars for a bridge pickup. I go, what about picking up the other kind of roads and cars and things on the street. I'm going, no, thank you to the get Okay, but no, that would be It would probably be pretty flashy looking and.
Speaker 3: Maybe some sparkles or something.
Speaker 1: Always some sparkles, and you know, be it would stay in tune as well. That's why I would want that.
Speaker 3: Too, right, So basically just what Jeff said.
Speaker 4: But yeah, well no, actually I would want what Vanessa said too, to be honest with you, I'd like some sparkles on those guitars. So yeah, co signature guitar. Yeah, okay, maybe that'll get better luck of getting one if I get, you know, some more people on it.
Speaker 2: That would be so incredible. If it was like Fender announces the jeffro.
Speaker 4: Vanessa beer guitar. Yeah, come on, Fender, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Let's do it, Fender.
Speaker 1: It's like sparkly flowers all over it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hold on, this is a guitar I've been trying to get for a while. It's like just rainbow, lightning bolt, like spider veins and stuff on it. This is what the guitar I would want it to look like. I'm dropping it in the chat right now.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah that's awesome.
Speaker 4: That'd be sick, right.
Speaker 1: It's like leopard print, yes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but also like barbed wire.
Speaker 1: That's really cool.
Speaker 2: I think the marketing for this Jeff ros and Stack pens a Berkato could be like, whether you're like a very accomplished guitar player or have never really picked up a guitar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a perfect guitar for you.
Speaker 4: Which one of us is the very accomplished guitar player?
Speaker 3: That Jeff? That's you?
Speaker 4: Come on, where's my guitar? Huh?
Speaker 1: That's right?
Speaker 3: Hm?
Speaker 1: Where is it?
Speaker 4: Oh it's on my mantle.
Speaker 3: So Vanessa, what are you saying to the Tom Delawn guitar.
Speaker 1: Well, based on my limited knowledge of this kind of stuff, but in the bridge pickup things, I say no because it feels like it doesn't it feels Jonah, was your what do you say?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I think it's I think it'd be cool to have around the house. Yeah, but yeah, yeah, so I'll say I'll give you nostalgia to it.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: But but I understand the pick up the pickup issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm going to give it actually, like a right down the middle nostalgia. Okay, because I don't feel strongly about it, but I hear what you're both saying, and I think you both have really good points.
Speaker 4: I'm going with the with a strong yes. So whatever's left of my Fender.
Speaker 5: Deal after everyone's saying yes, we're saying yes, we're saying yes, yes, yes, and give us all this rainbow guitar.
Speaker 3: Yes, please, come on.
Speaker 1: I would love that. I would love them to be a sponsor. But if at the very least to give us this rainbow guitar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we can all share one, all right.
Speaker 2: So I think we're on the same page. That's a nostalgia and a shout out to Fender and so Jeff, Yeah, where can people find out more about you? About your tour, dase helmode, all that stuff. What's the best way to do that?
Speaker 4: You could go to Hellmoe dot biz. You could go to Jeff rosenstock dot com. I have a digital record label where all the music is free. Or you could donate money to the artists or in our case to a charity. Hellode's up on there right now. With all the money from my thing, which is got to be clear, not that much money is going to the Entertainment Community Fund to support people who are on strike now to try and like you know, get your fucking money because Harry want to take it all. And like, you know, I'm not very articulate when speaking about it, but like it's really ridiculous that terms have not been met yet and it's just people trying to to bleed their workers dry and it's fucked up. So anyway, all that money's going there. But if you go to quote unquote records, you can download a whole bunch of stuff and you could type in my name and find me on social media and I will be there screaming shit into the void. Incredible, you say, regrettable?
Speaker 1: No, I said incredible, Oh, no, incredible, incredible, but regrettably. This podcast is over, and we'd like to thank Jeff so much for joining us, and to everyone for listening. If you enjoyed this episode, please subscribe to the podcast and keep an eye up for next this episode of How Did We Get Weird? We will discuss more stories from our childhood and cultural touchstones like the Price is Right.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, Jeff Hey, thanks so much for having us.
Speaker 4: This is a really nice time.
Speaker 5: They don't believe to before
Speaker 6: That, for Hallowenson,