Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three oh six, episode one of Yeah, this is so Presion. I heart radio. It's podcast you can deep dive in American share consciousness. And it's our Monday trending episode Trending September twenty fifth, Trending. Gleason, is that lion? That's someone right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah? Oh great actor, great actor and the Sun actor. His son's getting in the game too. Now our son's getting in the game. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which one is? Which one's the son? Is this Sun called like Donegal?
Speaker 1: Donegal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's not dominal dom doinal h Sun dominal Damn.
Speaker 1: That was the son.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's Brendan Gleason. Baby wow, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I'm Jack. That's Miles.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast where you hear old people learn things that you people that you knew a decade ago.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, wow, I'm famously not Irish, but how do you pronounce that name?
Speaker 1: Domino Domino, Domin Dominel Anyway?
Speaker 2: I know, I know we got Irish gang. Can you all tell me please put me on too.
Speaker 1: I feel like it will just be like a kind of a like kind of mixed.
Speaker 2: It's probably Donal. Yeah, yeah, going to like a lot of the names that I hear, like what like Irish names, like oh, you're just ignoring a lot of the other letters, and you get this other one like Chavon, Like chavon always fucked me up. Yeah, yeah, man, I used to say, I said once and people were like, what I didn't know? I know, not.
Speaker 1: Raised on the internet. It's all right, how are you today? Good? There.
Speaker 2: I'm a little under the weather, I must admit, uh, not like COVID related. I'm just exhausted and I have my allergies cause like I get a cough because I'm just creating all kinds of liquids in my sinus areas. But yeah, other than that, I.
Speaker 1: Feel over the weather in my PJ bro So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like me, okay, okay, all right, all right, you got the pool hair too, man, I.
Speaker 1: Just talking a mile. I have like eraser head hair right now, dude, the body you're getting on that ship. I yeah. So I've been swimming a lot by my uncomfortable thing to kick off the morning. Uh that that I've been doing to just like it pop in the pool. You know, the pool is in the sixties right now in La It's cold. Do some do some laps.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's disgusting, but most I would it would be like a cold plunge and get the fuck on, like, Okay, that was stupid.
Speaker 1: Well but her warms you up. The laps warm you up. But it has done something to my hair where it is, uh yeah, I can't. I can't think of an example of like somebody who has had this quite hair going on. But it's it's.
Speaker 2: Like Michael Richards and I'd hate to bring up the disgraced racism.
Speaker 1: It's what I'm going for, but I just feel like I haven't quite gotten it there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So anyways, that's what's going on in my life. Okay, how about you? What what was your weekend? Like we missed was.
Speaker 2: For a wedding shout out the happy couple. It was beautiful, very like non traditional wedding, Like there was no efficient It was like a lot of just like offerings of like love and shit, very hippy, very crunchy, very crunchy. But it was dope because I've never really been to a wedding that like goes that far away from the typical sort of trappings of a wedding, and it was beautiful. Because in a way like this really distills like the love of the two people down into this very potent form and you're like, no, man, like basking the love of these two people, Like don't worry about if there's a ain't no DJ, but the Spotify playlist is licked. Don't worry if there's no one presiding over it, because it was all like music and yeah, it was great, it's great.
Speaker 1: How are the how are the parents of the married folks dealing with great? They did good?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, what do you mean? Like what what what?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I'm just curious if they if the like very new fangled politicians know.
Speaker 2: They they are of like these are the parents of those people? Okay?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah yeah, like it makes sense, like, yeah, it's great. It was just crunchy love all around crunchy love. Yeah. How about you not just pulling it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just pulling it, man, just hanging out my pool?
Speaker 2: And what kind of you moisturize? And what kind of what's you? What do you do afterwards? Like are you just rinsing your hair off? You?
Speaker 1: Are you adding sometimes? And sometimes I'm forget, like I don't have time to take a shower after all, and I think that's what's going on up here. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. But anybody, any wifeguards, let me know what if you have any suggestions. It has gotten It's given me a whole new look.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I.
Speaker 1: Could fool some facial recognition stuff with what I got going on right now.
Speaker 2: You got that just like the closer to like, the higher the hair, the closer to God mentality going on right now?
Speaker 1: That's right. Ben Schwartz, I think also had hair like this. Yeah, at certain points in his career. Anyways, Miles, should we tell them some things we think are overrated and under it? Yeah, you want to kick us off?
Speaker 2: What do we do first? Under over? Let's under it. I felt terrible writing this because it felt so cliched for this show, But Taco Bell is underrated, not because I'm about to be like it's good.
Speaker 1: Therefore, like house some Taco Bell. This weekend, it was so good.
Speaker 2: I was at this wedding right fucking with the such a diverse cost of people, and like a lot of us were sharing a house and a lot of these people like I know pretty well, and we're talking like people across the entire spectrum from like occupations like working for the federal government, like autism and ADHD, like PhD researchers, fucking English teachers, people that work in tech identities across like the gender spectruck everything, like every everybody was in there, okay yea, And at the end of the wedding night we were fucking you know what they can get the post wedding you're like, damn, I can eat again, Like I really could eat again, And there was this so like we were all trying to figure out what to eat. We everybody clocked that there was a taco bell nearby the house that we were staying at, but nobody mentioned that they clocked the taco bell.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And then like slowly we're like, shit, what's open this late? Blah blah blah. And then like one per I was like there's a taco bell and theother was like, oh yeah, I saw that up the street. Then it caused a chain reaction and then like everyone's kind of like mumbling on non commital first like I don't know, maybe like we could get taco bell, And then there was unanimous agreement across the yes, like the great people were like I wanted to say that but I wasn't sure. We bought so many motherfuckers, so many party packs, Like it was wild to like the celebration people that was your order.
Speaker 1: They're like, oh, I knew it.
Speaker 2: And the way we ate this fucking taco it was alarming, Like Her Majesty's like my in laws were also there and like and like another group of parents of like friends I know were there and they watched it like you guys are just waiting for the taco bell to get here, like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And then when they saw no, they were not they were not aware. They were not aware of the of the bell. They did not they lived menos, they did not live mas okay. And when they when like afterwards, when they saw the amount of food, they're like, you guys are gonna eat all this? We're like, yeah watch this shit. Ye yeah, like you never seen one hundred and fifty dollars worth of taco bell wow, buckle up, and yeah we killed it. So shout out everybody in the house and also just the uniting power and everyone just had stories. Like one woman I know, she was saying she she owns taco bells or like young brand stock because like ever since she was a child, she's been obsessed with Taco Bell, and like in the school econ project, like in like high school, they had to buy like a couple dollars worth of stock in the stock market when people diversified. She bought all Taco Bell and she's still holding onto that a little bit of stock. She's like, but yeah, I got my shares.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: And you know, people all had different stories like that, So shout out to fast food completely destroying our brains.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right, My underrated is the model of human psychology in the movie Elemental.
Speaker 2: Oh so you go a low brow with yours. I do a little high brow, you do a little low brow. Okay, okay, yeah, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I'm not I'm not on the Taco Bell level. I'm on the children's movie psychology. The new Pixar movie is finally on Disney Plus. It's fine, but they have this thing in there that like I've thought about a lot, and like as I've gotten older, and I think is like truer and truer of me, which is so the main character keeps losing her temper on that. So she's like set to inherit her father's shop, she keeps losing her temper on the customers, and it's treated like a thing for her to overcome. But then her love interest, who is water, she's fire, is like, when I lose my temper, it's usually just like something to the effect of like my inner self telling me something I'm not ready to hear, and she doesn't like unlock it right then, but she keeps like fighting against this belief that she should in, you know, or fighting to like sustain this belief. And I don't like this idea of human psychology, whether it be like your temper or like self sabotage. Like people talk a lot about self sabotage, and when people talk about self sabotaging, they always side with the person who's being sabotaged. But the saboteur is trying to tell you something.
Speaker 2: In my experience, like most I'm sorry, when you're people, you mean, people side with the person themselves rather than their instinct to sabotage themselves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And like I feel like in my life, like the saboteur is trying to tell me, like, at various times, Oh, this career that you're trying to force your way down is actually not the right one, or you know that relationship doesn't work for you, or you know, like I was experiencing a lot of social anxiety around like certain people, and I would, you know, try and figure out, like how do I not experience as much social anxiety? And like for a long time it was like, well, I just drink to get around it. But you know, ultimately, as I've gotten older and like been in therapy for a while, I feel like the thing that was just my my social anxiety was not like a bug. It was like trying to tell me like maybe these aren't the people that you fuck with, you know, like maybe this is just like you don't feel great around these people because there's like something about them that you're like not super into that we're not vibing with. Like sure that statement of like there's that cliche like we contain multitudes, right, I think that that's truer and truer, But like we only have access to like a small number of them with our conscious mind, and so they will act out on us through you know, things we seem seemingly do by accident or things like that come out through a temper or just like gut feelings or something like that you know what I mean. So I don't know, I'm realizing I need to unlearn like some concepts and just like listen to myself, you know.
Speaker 2: Right right right, because yeah, some that's sort of like the last ditch effort of your subconscious being like, fuck you do, I need to fuck this up for you for us to move on, versus like, yeah, having that level of self awareness to say, like have I I felt this way a lot too, where I had such a singular focus that I was like I need to be on SNL and like that's the only thing I could do, and that led me to a lot of fucking bad places, like just more like emotionally and how like I had such a rigid sort of concept of what my future could be or should be, that it was at the expense of recognizing all these other things that I liked to do. And yeah, like I know that. Yeah, it took a moment. It never manifested to be sabotaging anything necessarily, but there was a lot of like it just felt like it was a slog to do certain things. I felt like, I'm like, this isn't fucking flowing right, But part of my mind was like it's because you don't want it hard enough, right, And I was like, wait, I might not actually just want this. I think it's because I was Since I was a child, I was told I was funny over and over and in the nineties people were like, you're going to be on a Living Color? Do you want to be on that CNL? And then you take that shit with you and then you have you completely sort of abandon any other possibility for yourself. So I definitely see that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah like that. Sometimes I personally need to listen to get on sn I could get on easily. Yeah, It's super easy and only has to do with how funny you are and nothing to do with love or who you know, whether you're like a second generation like literally like your dad was a writer on SNL.
Speaker 2: Dad's Tim Hurley.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but sometimes I do feel like I just like need to listen to what my own actions are telling me what I want instead of like what I want to want.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm I realized all of this because.
Speaker 2: Of Elemental Shout Out Elemental No.
Speaker 1: I it just like it was kind of like a deep point and like it's a pretty mediocre Pixar movie, like compared to other Pixar movies.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I thought it was a pretty interesting idea, like psychological concept that was kind of buried in there.
Speaker 2: So good And what did your kids have the same takeaway too?
Speaker 1: Where they had to they were like interesting, this says some interesting things about self sabotage.
Speaker 2: Know yourself, embrace yourself.
Speaker 1: What's what something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: A couple of things. First off is the fucking obsession with Taylor Swift dating dating this Elsie guy Kelse whatever. Yeah. Uh, I just it's like I was fucking inundated with coverage about it online last night and this morning they walked away holding hands. He's got this outfit he wore is now named after tailor. They drove off in a convertible. There are so many fucking she's with his mom in the box. But remember she also met Tom Hiddleston's mom and we know where that went. And fucking it was just it was just too much. I you know, shout out to her. Be happy. I hope y'all are happy. Like it's because has nothing to It's not like Taylor's out there be like y'all need to report on this. It's just that our culture, like having this focus on it, it just felt so I don't know. At a certain point, I'm like, this is corny, Like this feels like an early nineties rom com about like the superstar who's secretly dating the football player. And then like the third act climax is her like finally being at the gamer was like act and so like to me, I was like, this is just so boring.
Speaker 1: But I mean, it's also interesting to think about in the context of like the stuff we've said with regards to her being a religious figure and like these artists and religious figures like when a religiou Like if suddenly people were like, oh, the Virgin Mary is dating Grunk, They're like, oh, They're like, yo Jesus for her.
Speaker 2: HEYESU Cristo out here, ca noodling with Mary Magna doodle out here? Whoa wow, good y'all. So anyway, like just it nothing like again, I always want people to be happy, get what you get what you want. But the coverage of it just like I just couldn't believe how many Hey, Bill Belichick, what do you think? And I was like, this is so fucking annoying, Like I'm sure, and he was even like it's good the best catch of his career right there. No, yes, dude, Belichick said that some ship like that was the headline. Didn't even bother because I was like, I can't be leave. Everyone is trying to make find an angle in with this, like whether it's about the car or the restaurant or Bill Belichick or whatever.
Speaker 1: Belichick would be the funniest person I can imagine to like do try to try to conduct a like right turn, like at this late stage of his career into like TMZ cultural commentators. He's like on the panel shows where he's like, that's a great catch all football meta.
Speaker 2: Apparently Belichick is a swiftye himself. Wow, so y'all, don't you can get touched out here? Okay, that's just that's the key, and so the other thing I also, so aside from that, the other thing I want to say was I just read that Alicia Keys is starting a fucking herbal te line called Alicia Teas. This is so stupid to me. This is I can't I don't why just because it rhymes, I don't think. I don't like this doesn't seem like a thing where you're like, oh yeah, okay, interesting, interesting, and I just again like celebrities are trying to be like branding themselves, like I'm gonna sell fucking tea.
Speaker 1: Alicia, Come on, Alicia T questions Alicia T.
Speaker 2: It sounds like a joke we would say off on this show, like a bad one.
Speaker 1: That would be like Brian cut that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually cut that out. Yeah yeah, no, no, don't. I don't want anybody thinking that I actually think that shit.
Speaker 1: I love Yeah, my overrated. So I guess I have a question, But do you do you? Was the movie big for you? Important to you?
Speaker 2: What was his name? Josh Baskin?
Speaker 1: Josh Baskin. Josh Baskin has a problem.
Speaker 2: Dude, I fucked that movie fucking exploded my head.
Speaker 1: Yeah. As a kid, yeah, I love We had it on VHS. I probably watched it like three hundred times from the ages of eight to ten, and then like hadn't watched it again until I just watched it this weekend with my kids.
Speaker 2: Isn't isn't I haven't seen it in maybe ten or fifteen years. But isn't the the relationships a little bit weird? Isn't it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What you mean? The one where he's a child in an adult's body and he has a romantic relationship with a grown woman. Yeah yeah that one.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah that part. I was like I remember seeing it like ten or fifteen years ago and being like that's actually kind of weird ye aka problematic, but anyway, yeah, go on.
Speaker 1: So you're watching it, so I can't believe how much I remember, like everything from like editing, Like I was like, Oh, here's the part coming up where like this guy's about to hit the hammer on the strength test and you're going to hear the bell, but they're gonna cut away from the bell before you hear it, and they're cutting away to the roller coaster at the car like I remembered. Yeah, everything, like just little details of character performance like it was crazy. It was like being out.
Speaker 2: Like the food they were like they were eating takeout from.
Speaker 1: Yes, like he got paid one hundred and eighty seven dollars, one hundred and eighty seven dollars, Like his read of that line is like, it's not that it was like, oh I remember this. It was like, oh, this was always in my mind, just under the surface. The one thing that I hadn't remembered is Elizabeth Perkins, the love interest in that movie was dating a what is she like? What is he like? Twelve year old in an adult body? She's twenty eight in that movie.
Speaker 2: Mm okay she and like it just made me ure's twenty eight.
Speaker 1: I don't know if the character's twenty eight, that's how old she is.
Speaker 2: Oh, and she's given.
Speaker 1: Real performance of like an aspiring society lady. And it just made me realize like there was weird things happening with age in the eighties, like where everybody wanted to look older, like everybody wanted to like be an adult. Like that was right. The movie's really about, like I think I overrated how much it was a kid's movie, right, It's it's really a movie like about observations about adult life and how weird adults.
Speaker 2: Are, right right, right, But you have someone we got to just embrace that inner child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but I don't know, it's crazy, like what if kid was an adult is Also that's also the premise of Pee Wee's Big Adventure, which was a movie night movie like a couple of weeks ago. And yeah, there was something going on in like the late eighties where everyone was like kid adult like they were just having a real tough time with the concept of growth.
Speaker 2: They're just like, yeah, it's either it's just a binary. It's like you're you're a child and then you become forty five years old.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: There's no we don't know what an in between is unless it's some freaky machine fortune telling machine that did that to you. The thing was, I remember the fucking way I begged my fucking parents to take me to Fao Schwartz to hop on that gigantic piano. Yeah, and I remember there was one in San Francisco and like they fucking had it roped off, like you couldn't even do shit on it. And I remember that became like the thing that every Fao Schwartz on earth had to have the big ass piano from Big in it that you could play chopsticks on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just like it was like dark and covered in sneaker tread.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some were used. Others were like, don't even fucking think about desecrating the sacred monument. Yeah, but anyway, Yeah, that movie lives forever.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I don't know. I guess my overrated is how how much that movie is a kid's movie? How old everyone I think I was overrating everyone's age in the eighties prior to this, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in my mind, she was like in her late thirties. Yeah, like the energy was someone who's like I've done it all, like now I'm just trying to focus on like my job and my career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my parents were like in their mid thirties. Anyways, all right, those are some things we think is overrated, underrated. Yeah, we're going to take a quick break and we're going to come back and tell you about some news, a lot of it. And we're back, and the WGA has come to a tentative agreement with studios that appears to give writers what they were asking for all along, all the stuff that the studios and streamers were like, non starter, that's impossible. This is coming at the worst time for us, you know.
Speaker 2: The worst time, record profits, record profits.
Speaker 1: We can't afford to give you the basic protections and requests that your earnings go up with the you know, record skyrocketing revenue. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the way it was announced, I feel hopeful that this I hope that it is a group of actual good deal for the writers because like the way they're saying, like what we have won in this is This is a direct quote from the WJA. Well, we have won in this contract. Most particularly, everything we have gained since May second is due to the willingness of this membership to exercise its power, to demonstrate its solidarity, to walk side by side, to endure the pain and uncertainty of the past. Out of forty six days, it is the leverage generated by your strike, in concert with the extraordinary support of our union siblings, that finally brought the companies back to the table to make a deal. We can say with great pride that this deal is exceptional, with meaningful gains and protections for writers in every sector of the membership. I mean, I you know a lot of times when you see these back and forth, you get this, and then you see the deal and then there's I mean, it's nothing's ever going to be perfect, but sure the language and it helped makes me pretty hopeful that they did make a great deal, especially now like I felt like last week with Ted Sarandos what is his name, Sarandon's Sarandos, Yeah, Sirandos from Netflix and Bob Iger now like literally coming to the table to fucking figure this shit out. I was like, oh, yeah, yeah, this is serious now. But yeah, good for them. And also they said they until they're still going to be you know, they're still not working, and I think that they're still pickting until you know, the rank and file membership ratifies the agreement and votes on it. But they also said they will not go back to work until SAG after it also gets theirs too, so the solidarity continues. Wow, yeah, which is great to see. And hey, turns out striking works.
Speaker 1: Almost like striking works, and unions actually get you the thing that you need to protect a job from. Yeah, going away for love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love a bit of worker power. Love to see it. And also, like I know in California there was a bill that the state Senate pass that basically would extend unemployment benefits to striking workers. Yeah. So that's also a huge tool, uh for workers to you know, exercise their power because they don't have to rely on like or have the you know, the whole thing of like what do I do money wise if I'm striking for my own rights?
Speaker 1: Don't we think Friends would have been better if it was written by people who were part time gig economy workers, Like that's the question you know, Yeah, I think we can all agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, and I could get I could get being Ai Chat to give me a synopsis of an episode of that, which I will tell you after the break.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But when companies like tell us they absolutely need every penny that they hold out on, it turns out their line they can always they can always make it work if you force them to. And the only way that I've seen that seems to work forcing companies to cut the bullshit is collective power. So shout out to them. Yeah, all right, there's a there's a new poll that finds Trump winning by ten points and it's I don't.
Speaker 2: Know so that.
Speaker 1: This is a ABC Washington Post poll. It says Trump is the head of Biden by ten points fifty two percent forty two percent. Obviously that's going to make people panic. It is starkly different than other poles which placed them Brinkley Neck and Brinkley Neck. We just got an NBC poll that found them both tied at forty six percent. And some outlets are calling the post ABC poll a shock, which is weird because the same poll, like they use the same collection methods, found back in May Trump at forty nine and Biden at forty two, and at that time everyone was like yees. So it's just like a weird outlier. It doesn't doesn't mean shit. But now we're getting closer, I think people are more willing to panic a little bit. You know, there's been more Biden to old stories. So and I'm panicking just a little bit because Trump doesn't tend to underperform his polling. He actually tends to intellectual politics. Like in presidential elections. Up to this point he has overperformed his polling. So I don't know. It's granted, like we haven't seen him run since the Republicans, you know, attacked human rights and appealed Roe v. Wade, but he has been willing to soften his stance on that we've seen before that Trump, Yeah, I don't know. I just makes me nervous. It's a it's a deep dark abyss that we stand on the precipice of the possibility of him running and winning. But and the outlier polls are like Trump's up by ten. Are there outlier poles that are like Biden is up by ten? No, we're just not seeing Yeah, I haven't seen that.
Speaker 2: I've heard it the most the normal or like the majority of them that I've seen, it's like he has like a slight it's basically an advantage within the margin of error. Yeah, but I don't know. I mean part of me like when I you know, just watching the EBB and flow of articles like going from like Biden's too old, I felt like there was then this push from the establishment where I saw a lot of articles that were just like like Trump is going, like it's we cannot fucking lose to Trump, okay, and if he, if he wins, it's over for this group. If he wins, it's over for this And I believe that, you know, Trump is going to just make things absolutely worse. But then I'm like, we always talk about how Trump has been like this gift to the Democrats because they don't have to advance their policy agentical anyway. They can just go they can just rely on this guy can't fucking wine, and that's the best thing for the status quo. If the election is merely about this guy can't win, and it's not about a housing crisis, it's not about like income inequality and worker rights and shit like that, and it just becomes this guy can't win it's like a gift to the establishment, so pardon me. Also too, is like this also also helps further an argument against trying to find someone else to run and they can just rely on well, I mean, Biden's done it before. He's done it before, and he may not be perfect, but he's done it before. It. As we just said earlier, Trump cannot win. And I know there are other things going on, but Trump cannot win, and I think centering that, yeah, again, it just makes it just sort of helps the chances for Biden to just for everyone just be like fuck.
Speaker 1: Like dig in on the current course because they're too scared. They're like, well, wha you know.
Speaker 2: I can't. I couldn't imagine, like and I know, like there you hear hear more and more people saying like, oh, I mean, like you got to consider what these polls say when even Democrats are like, we'd prefer someone else to run. Yeah, I don't know, it's just it's it's but I just can't, like, I feel like if there was a real appetite to find to find a different candidate to run, that would have happened a long time ago, right, And so I just feel like the advantage is to the establ for the establishment is Biden runs again because he's not going to rock the boat and they can just rely on this like Trump is so dangerous narrative to sort of ignore all the other really big issues that we have aside from the major fucking catastrophe threat, et cetera that looms over another Trump administration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's let's talk Senator Bob Menendez. Oh yeah, it's been indicted over a bribery scheme.
Speaker 2: This is this has been simmering for a while about what was going to happen with Senator Bob Andendez and he was indicted. Okay, double LP world excited, as we say here in this influenced scheme where the Senator was going to you know, used his power and you know, a fucking reputation to make some businessmen very rich while also helping the Egyptian government. And you know, the senator also apparently allegedly got some gifts too. They say. This is from the report from NBC. Quote. The charges include conspiracy to commit bribery, conspiracy to commit honest services fraud, and conspiracy to commit extortion under color of official right. What a fancy term Wow. The bribes the couple received. This is Bob Menendez and his spouse included cash, gold bars, pavements toward a home, mortgage, compensation for a low or no show job, a luxury vehicle, and other items of value. When they did when they like you know, did a search or you know, searched his home last year, they found over four hundred and eighty thousand dollars in cash for him. Wow. And then his wife had like seventy grand in cash like in a fucking like a safe deposit box, but.
Speaker 1: Like the envelopes and hidden in clothing closet and a.
Speaker 2: Safe Yeah yeah, yeah, I mean Jack, those are details that I feel like just make Bob Menendez look more guilty. And I want to be like the other big demo old school democrats who have just been like what do you think this is bad? Hon, They're like, oh, he, Bob's gonna have to really think hard about the cloud this is gonna put over his service.
Speaker 1: Should he resign?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think it's too early to say something like that, right. John Fetterman is the only senator that has called for his resignation. Alexandria Kazo Cortez also and a few others in the House have. But otherwise there's a lot of fucking mumbling going on on the Democrat side. Just half. I mean again, if true, but it seems like this is I don't know, if there's just mistaken gold bars that he received for some other shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fucking he's dirty. A couple of gold bars laying around your house. Come on, I.
Speaker 2: Wish I had a fucking couple of gold bars laying around and then maybe maybe I should be a fucking senator so I could know the feeling of holding gold ingots uh in my fucking crusty little hands. But I mean, like, it's just well, Menendez himself so far. I know he's giving a press conference later today. He said I'm going nowhere, okay, wow, And but he did. He got he did get a show of support from another upstanding member of Congress, George Santos. It was like, we got to just let process play out, happen, the presumption of innocence here.
Speaker 1: Wow, you know, are we just going to write who you want?
Speaker 2: Right? Yeah? So I'm like, I thought being bad. I thought getting indicted is bad Democrats because when it was Trump, y'all were like, fuck terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, reminds me of the fact that Lauren Bobert and the guy she was given the overpants hand job too, we're both like bar owners and like he you know, he was a Democrat and she was a Republican. But like, the solidarity is with your fellow you know what, whatever, the like the people who have the same career and income level as you, like, not with their political beliefs. Yeah, that stuff's all flexible.
Speaker 2: It'd be like that that meme from a predator, you know, you son of a bitch. And they do like the two sides'es like Democrats Republicans, and the hand coming together is their horniness as we saw there. But apparently they've been dating for months and she's trying to be like this looks like I need to just look at the political beliefs of the people I date on dating apps. So we will watch, we'll watch along as the Democrats continue to, you know, also exercise these baffling amounts of hypocrisy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take one more break and we'll come back. And we're back. And the expend for blespend spendables expended expend four balls foibles. Uh, so it hit theaters with critics hailing it as the opposite of a must see and an embarrassment for all involved. That's the most fucked so mean.
Speaker 2: It's not even like scathing artsy ship, just like it's the opposite of a m an embarrassment for all involved. Is so fucked up so much. I love but yeah, go off, go off critics.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So uh. Shockingly, it did not do well at the box office. It made just eight point three million dollars over the weekend with a budget of one hundred around one hundred million dollars. So and this was the worst weekend at the box office so far this year. I wonder if that had anything to do with suddenly the studios being like, we got to get a deal here, folks, this is looking bleak. But I feel like all I needed to know about how this movie was going to be received was like you you can go to the Expendables character Wikipedia page and it has a chart with like who is in each film and you got your Jason Statham slashed alone, Dolph Lunggren, Randy Coutour are all are in all four that right. Jet Lee got off the bus after three. Terry Cruz got off the bus after three. Arnold Schwarzenegger got off the bus after three was then the first three and he bailed, uh for expendables. Three they brought in like Wesley Snipes, They brought in you know, Ronda Rowsey, Antonio Banderaz, you know, they were they were covering all the all the quadrants for that one. This time to replace Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jetly in a movie about like iconic action heroes. Yeah, they brought in fifty cent and Megan Fox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they did. Yeah. Yeah, I'll give Tony Jaws cool with Tony Jaw's back of Martial Arts ship, but wow, fifty and Megan Fox.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I heard also that Sylvester Stallone is barely in this one, and he's like the reason this shit even happened, Like he's the co creator of this city. He directed the first one. Yeah, and like wrote I think the first three or co wrote, right and and writing in him and then this one apparently he was like not don't want to do the for the one, so an embarrassment. Everybody don't know that rights.
Speaker 1: I don't know Dolphine projects, like dolph was was driving the bus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, but I mean, I guess it'll make its money outside of the US. It's like where they mostly they've been making a lot.
Speaker 1: Of They made eighty percent of its money outside of North America last time around, so they're hoping for a similar turn of events here. But it does it seems to be kind of pretty pretty soggy everywhere.
Speaker 2: I just feel like, yeah, it's also just such a bad time for us to be celebrating elderly people with too much power. Yeah right, it's just like what a weird mad thematically, We're we're not really feeling this right now. Yeah, so I can. I also see that aspect of like I'll give a fuck about Dolph Lungren and fucking so Jason stuff.
Speaker 1: Fuck no, Yeah, it's like Space Cowboys if it was an action movie like that. That that's the premise is like old people like have rights too, and they can still do stuff as like old people are about to like drive the country over the edge of a cliff.
Speaker 2: Right, and it's all like all old white guys mostly too. Dude, Please please fucking did you see that one with like what was the one about the women who were like all into Tom Brady with like Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda and shit for Brady. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I felt like but I mean, like, was that like Hollywood's best? Like was that then? Being like what if we did the Expendables but with women? Yeah, I think probably yeah, And we're gonna do this really fucking narrow read on like I don't know, it's like fucking heteronormative thing, like but they all fuck with Tom Brady. That's their fucking mutual. They're there, their unifying call. But yeah, I don't know. Space Cowboys was pretty bad and also way too long. I remember that shit was over two hours.
Speaker 1: I didn't I never saw a Space Cowboys. I was never never into the idea of like being told a story about people who are like too old for this ship. I was. I was good at lethal weapon like that. That was plenty.
Speaker 2: I loved him man Big James Gardner fan, Big Jim Gardner fan, Big Tommy Lee Jones fan.
Speaker 1: I do love Tommy Lee Jones.
Speaker 2: I think have the same birthday as Tommy Lee Jones, which is why I think I watched it. That's the kind of one dimensional loyalty I have to people.
Speaker 1: You have the same birthday as Tommy Lee Jones. Yeah, you had Harry and.
Speaker 2: We're all exact same day, September fifteenth, nineteen forty six. Wow, and we look great doing it, That's right.
Speaker 1: And finally we have a new Clarence Thomas scandal, this one involving the Koch brothers and Ken Burns.
Speaker 2: Dude, that picture is so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't know it.
Speaker 2: Was Ken Burns at first. I was like, who the fuck is this? Like, wanna be Luke Skywalker? Bowl cut looking dude?
Speaker 1: His haircut is truly wild and like always dark and like he's a he's always dying it and it's always just it. If he doesn't have a wig. It is the most wig looking hair dude that I've ever seen on a human head.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, yeah it is. It has wigswag for sure. Yeah, but yeah, I just love how it's suddenly. I remember one of the first articles I saw it didn't name him in the photo, and I was like, what the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then I then I then I saw another one that was like it's Ken Burns, and I'm like, this is freaking so stupid.
Speaker 1: But he's like I don't know them in that picture that I didn't even know the picture. I was just walking by and my arms got stuck on their backs somehow.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a you know, this is a pro PUBLICA report. Uh, and it detailed Thomas's particulars. Yeah, so exactly. They've got an axe to grind, That's all I'm saying. But it details Clarence Thomas's close relationship with the Koch brothers, which included speaking at their donor events, none of which was disclosed. So that's an obvious violation of federal FLA. But the images for the article has Thomas David Coke and then in between them, you know, like you said, no, I feel like ken Burns is not a household face. He's a household name. Yeah, and maybe a household hair do if you've ever seen him, because you can't forget his hair. But yeah, so ken Burns started trending on social media and he was forced to issue a statement distancing himself as much as humanly possible from Thomas and Coke. And he claimed that he only met Thomas when taking that photo and only knew Coke because he was a supporter of public television.
Speaker 2: Which what an interesting fucking description.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just a guy just loves public TV.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, he does other stuff. What? Oh, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: I've never heard of the other shop.
Speaker 2: I just know him as a great patron of the arts.
Speaker 1: I was too busy researching baseball and jazz, so did.
Speaker 2: His name all come up to be fair?
Speaker 1: So, but that support for public television does not extend to documentaries about the Koch brothers. They allegedly killed a deal between Public Television backers and the documentary Citizen Coke back in twenty thirteen. Yeah, the documentary showed at the Wisconsin Film Festival in April, and then immediately it was announced that Public Television Backers were pulling their funding because who knows why. It's impossible to say, but just a great example of the sort of MPR neoliberalism and the problems inherent in it that they expect capitalism to fix. The problems of capitalism.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I like you did a little bit of cockney there, a bit the problems inherent in it, in it I've been watching toomuch, top boy. It's just again we have a fucking sitting Supreme Court justice who is the like fundraiser headliner for these fucking fucking goblin people and the Koch brothers. Yeah, and then they're the ones seeing fucking over like they're presiding over the cases that directly relate to these people. It's just I don't yeah, I don't know. But Trump can't win.
Speaker 1: But that's the important thing.
Speaker 2: Focused on that, guys. That's it. It's one issue and it's Trump can't win. Let's not we'll fucking we'll get to the other stuff once he's out of the way. Yeah, and we I wouldn't be surprised if the Democrats invested in technology to keep Trump alive forever, just like you know, he's running in twenty twenty eight. You already know twenty thirty two, twenty thirty six.
Speaker 1: But we are at the you know, in the midst. Maybe I shouldn't say at the end, but we're in the midst of the longest run of very positive legislation and Supreme Court findings for the extremely wealthy. Yeah, you wouldn't know it because of like astroturfed bullshit, like you know, the Tea Party and you know Libertarians and you know people like that. But they have had the they've paid the least taxes that they've ever paid because of shit like this, just like very strategic relationships with the people who are ultimately making the decisions, and then you know, those decisions have ripple effects where they make it harder to regulate the billionaires, and then the billionaires use the lack of legislation and regulation to then influence more decisions until we have this out of control crazy system that we have right now.
Speaker 2: We need ethics reform, folks. We got to really sort out the Supreme Court. But I don't know, it's like the way Alido talks, He's like, yeah, come for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this idea that like you can have, like you're the strategy for the left side can be Well, if we just get this big donation from the Koch brothers, we can continue doing journalism that is broadly critical of the system that gives the Koch brothers immense power, and it just ends up just being liberal at a surface level without you know, and the ability to even can't even have the courage of your convictions to put out a documentary that is critical of like the Nazi oil billionacres.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, they're allowing us to do really great stuff about baseball, you know, so we got to you gotta take the good with the bad. You gotta take a good the bad.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, those are some of the things that happened over the weekend. We are back tomorrow with a whole last episode of the show to tell you what is trending Tomorrow it will be a bangor a bangor remain.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bangors and Matt.
Speaker 1: Until then, be kind to each other, be kind to yourselves, get the vaccine, don't do nothing about white Supreme se no, and we will talk to you all tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye bye, h