Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hey, Dream listeners, if you like this podcast, you're gonna love the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I wrote a book. It's called Selling the Dream and it's coming out March twelfth, twenty twenty four, on Atria. It's about all of your favorite characters from MLMs and some that you've never even heard of. I hope check it out previously on the Dream so that you can see this training seven steps to becoming a recruiting machine.
Speaker 3: But it doesn't actually.
Speaker 1: Tell you how to recruit people.
Speaker 3: So this is funny because it's like step one, like make a decision.
Speaker 1: Step doesn't even say make a decision. It says one, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Step one decisions, Step two, mindset, step three, collect friends, Like it's just what.
Speaker 1: There are about a million different origin stories for our current obsession with maximizing our potential in America, and my favorite one of those stories kind of explains everything you need to know about the coaching hustle today, only it starts back around the first time the machines started to take over. I'm talking Industrial Revolution era, the latter half of the eighteen hundreds, not this like new chat GPT stuff. Back then, humans were looking inward, like what makes me a human individually special and irreplaceable, and a bunch of their ideas were like, Hey, I have a mind and a body and a soul, Look what I can do. Spiritual movements like new Thought and the law of attraction, you know how your attitude and thoughts affect stuff in the physical world, became super popular right around then, so did hypnosis. Some folks took all this stuff a little too far, in my opinion, and started doing a thing called mentalism mind reading and watch me bend this for without touching it. Magic stuff like that. Others took the idea to church and came up with beliefs like Christian science, which focused on healing the body with the mind, often through prayer. And of course there were a bunch of Charlatans in on the game. There was money to be made on seances. Everyone wanted a Ouiji board and all that other creepy Victorian stuff. Supposedly, this all became really popular after the Civil War because so many people died and there weren't proper funerals. Folks wanted to connect with lost loved ones again in you know, like in their minds. And then along came a man named Napoleon Hill, and he said, what if this new way of thinking was applied solely to making money? After all, if you can conjure the dead and bend spoons with your mind, you should be able to like manifest a pile of gold bricks, you know, think and grow rich. So back in the thirties he wrote a book called Think and Grow Rich. His inspiration, he said, was a meeting with Andrew Carnegie. And this is Andrew Carnegie, the steel magnate, not Dale Carnegie, the author of another self help classic, How to Win Friends and Influence People. That guy, Dale Carnegie, no religion. Changed the spelling of his last name to match Andrews the year Andrew Carnegie died. Not really a coincidence. So we're talking about the og Carnegie Andrew Anyway, Napoleon Hill meets og Andrew Carnegie, and well, let's let him tell it.
Speaker 4: Mister Carnegie delivered a lecture that I shall never forget.
Speaker 5: Let me call your.
Speaker 4: Attention to a great power which is under your controls at mister Carnegie, Hi, power which is greater than poverty, greater than the lack of education, greater than all of your fears and superstitions, combined, it is the power to take the station of your own mind and direct it to whatever ends you may desire. When you speak of your poverty and lack of education, mister Carnegie explained, you are simply directing your mind to attract these undesirable circumstances, because it is true that whatever your mind feeds upon, your mind attracts to you. Now you see why it is important that you recognize that all succeists begins with definitess of purpose, with a clear picture in your mind of precisely what you want from life.
Speaker 1: This is from a nineteen twenty eight filmed presentation Hill gave on his first book, The Law of Success. So on the supposed advice from Andrew Carnegie, Napoleon Hill says he set about speaking to as many successful and wealthy people as he possibly could, and eventually he wrote this book, Think and Grow Rich that has sold one hundred million copies since then. If you haven't heard of this book, I would like the address of the rock you've been living under, because I am tired of having to know stuff.
Speaker 4: Know what you want and believe that you can and we'll get it. Give expressions of gratitude. Many times daily for having received that which you want, even before you actually get us go pstation up. Persation starts first in the mind. Please remember this when over digging by defeat, as you may be many times, remember that man's faith is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. And except Jordan's there's nothing more than a challenge to keep on try.
Speaker 1: Think and Grow Rich came out in nineteen thirty nine, and to this day, people are devoted to the book and to Hill's teachings, and not just motivational speakers like Tony Robbins and all the other robins is this book is a part of popular culture, or just regular culture, or even unpopular culture. Everyone loves it, including the man who created the Fubu fashion line, Damon John my second favorite shark on Shark Tank.
Speaker 2: Now many of you have heard me credit the book that I read, and that I have read several times ever since I was a kid, Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, and it helped me start FOOGL. And today I want to share with you the top five lessons I learned from that book that helped me get to where I am today.
Speaker 6: And Lana del Right, I actually read this book called Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill, which.
Speaker 1: Isn't Yeah you did, It's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's amazing because it's not really about money, right, it's just more I'll just always remember this line where he talks about burning every bridge except the one bridge to the thing that makes your heart the most on fire, and I was like, that's definitely singing, But how am I going to get there?
Speaker 1: There was even a film made about Napoleon's book and the story of his life, starring professional perpetual teenager Rob Dirdak. Of all those shows twelve year old boys love to watch on MTV.
Speaker 7: The hardest thing to actually masters faith when that doubt and fear that's ultimately a self protection mechanism that stops you. The only way to get through that is faith in your plan. And your plan only matters if you really believe anything, because faith is the piece that's going to give you the ability to continue through the highs and lows. And when you get to that level, you really believe that you are creating your entire existence, you feel like you're manipulating reality.
Speaker 1: But that film part interviews with famouses who loved Napoleon Hill and part reenactments from his life. It was never released, and I think we might know why. None of his story is true, starting with the fact that after a string of run ins with the law, he decided to go by his middle name instead of his first.
Speaker 5: Napoleon Hill was born Oliver Napoleon Hill.
Speaker 1: Wait, his name isn't even Napoleon.
Speaker 5: Right, his name is Oliver or nap This.
Speaker 1: Is Matt Novak. A few years ago, his partner came to him and she asked him if he'd ever heard of this guy Napoleon Hill, because she just read something about him.
Speaker 5: And that was nothing but a gut reaction on her part that something was fishy and set me off on this course. But she came up to me and said, there's this guy named Napoleon Hill and he needed to bunk him. And that's exactly what I set out to do, because it was pretty clear that this was a guy with a lot to sell and not much substance behind it.
Speaker 1: And careful what you wish for if you have a partner who respects your ideas. Because he did exactly what she suggested and spent the next two years working nights and weekends writing a twenty thousand word piece about Napoleon Hill, and that first discovery that his name wasn't really Napoleon was crucial to his research because if you just look up Napoleon Hill in historical records, it's all about the book. You can't really find anything on Napoleon Hill from before then. Honestly, using your middle name was a great trick in the olden days.
Speaker 5: But if you search Oliver Hill or Oliver Napoleon Hill, you get a bunch of scams that he was running, buying lumber on credit and then selling it at pennies on the dollar to other people. And you know, various companies were scammed in this way, and he was pursued by the authorities.
Speaker 1: And what does that, I'm sorry, when he's buying the lumber on credit and then selling it for really cheap and then not paying back the credit yep, okay okay.
Speaker 5: With no intention to ever pay back the people who he got it on credit for. It seems he changed his name when he was trying to flee the South. It seems a lot of his earliest scams with lumber were in the South, and then he headed off to Washington, d C. To start a car business. After the lumber scams, he flees to washing in d c where he starts a school for auto mechanics. But it turns out that that school is actually a scam where the quote unquote students are basically performing unpaid labor constructing cars.
Speaker 1: So their tuition is going toward their own work.
Speaker 5: Well, they're paying to basically work for free, which was quite a scam.
Speaker 1: But you know, I was going to ask if he had any experience building cars.
Speaker 5: You know, cars were this was the early nineteen tens and it's still a pretty new environment for cars, so it was you know, I don't know how he got involved in cars specifically, but they were the hot new technology at the time. But yeah, that fell through and he moved on to a candy company. There's so many different companies that he started that you know, were dissolved or disappeared from the records a year or two later. I don't know what the candy company scam was, but that was another one that he had. He bought something called the Martha Washington Candy Company and changed the name to the Betsy Ross Candy Company. I mean, weird little things like that where I don't know what the scam was with this candy company, but there's records, public records of him starting this and then changing the name, and then it disappears a year.
Speaker 1: Later as a fan of piling on to prove a point. There are a few more scans I want you to hear about. But remember the reason I need to drill this into your brain is because this guy is thought of as only a force for good, only a business and life expert, only a person who wanted to help other people have better lives through the way they thought about themselves and the power that they had to change the world around them with their minds. But this is how his mind actually worked, who he actually was, how he actually thought and grew rich. Though even that turns out to be a lie. We'll get to that in a minute.
Speaker 5: I also found in the late nineteen tens, and this would have been right around the First World War, he shows up to the newspaper archives threatening to sue public transit company because the reading because his eyes were strained because the lights in the cars weren't good enough so he got bad vision, like just the most frivolous, like the kind of you know, there's frivolous lawsuits today, But imagine one hundred years ago someone talking about how I'm going to sue this the public transit company because I can't read as well on the bus. It's like I have. You know. By the early twenties, he had a scam where he would go town to town again very music man or you know, north Haverbrooks Simpson style monorail guy. He'd go down to town and would say that he was collecting money for a special correspondence school in the nation's prisons. So he joins up with some check forger who is He gets him bailed out of prison and says, oh, we're starting this company, a charity that will it's called the inter Wall Correspondence School, and we're gonna collect all this money for inmates so they can have a better life and get an education inside, and then when they come out it'll be all this great stuff. Well again, I found newspaper articles where these towns would say the local chaplain would say the money never got there, we never saw a cent of it. Napoleon Hill, of course, have the goal to say that it was the clergy that we're lying about never getting the money. So I don't know how successful that one was, but he was raising apparently significant sums, you know, one thousand dollars here and there, which adjusted for inflation from one hundred years ago, is you know, we're talking tens of thousands of dollars. So that was essentially the scam in the early twenties, oh the ties. So I found this this photo online of Thomas Edison with Napoleon Hill. And this is significant because throughout his entire life, Napoleon Hill swears that Andrew Carnegie told him to go interview all these famous people. He provided supposedly letters of introduction to interview successful businessmen from around the country. And there's absolutely no evidence that a he met with Carnegie to begin with, and b there's no evidence that he actually met any famous person that he claims to have except for Thomas Edison.
Speaker 1: Yes, Napoleon or Oliver or whatever you want to call him, perhaps the ear life coach, if you will, did put his mind to meeting Thomas Edison. But it wasn't based on gumption or having the right attitude or any of the tenants he espoused in his famous tome. It was because he was absolutely fine with making shit up. He wrote to Thomas Edison and said he had an award to give him. He did not have an award to give him, but he said he had an award to give him, and that was all made up and it wasn't a real award. And then he went to Thomas Edison and then got a picture taken with Thomas Edison handing him a fake award, and then he published the photo of him and Thomas Edison in order to look like he knew Thomas Edison, which he didn't. He just like again, made up a whole thing. Creepy. I think you go to jail for that these days, wouldn't you.
Speaker 5: One of my favorite things about Napoleon Hill's claims is he claimed to be advisor to two presidents, President Woodrow Wilson, the Democrat, and Napoleon Hill would later claim that he was in the room when the negotiations were happening with Germany about the end to World War One.
Speaker 1: Mmm mmmmmmm that makes sense, Yeah, which makes perfect sense.
Speaker 5: He also claimed to be an advisor to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and took credit at one point for coining we have nothing to fear but fear itself. What yes? Napoleon Hill claimed that he came up with we have nothing to fear but fear itself. And it makes total sense that Napoleon Hill would be an advisor to FDR because Napoleon Hill is an ant was an anti union arch conservative, and FDR apparently wanted his advice.
Speaker 1: Matt's being facetious obviously, I mean.
Speaker 5: At the time that I was writing this, this was I published this in December twenty sixteen, so just after the twenty sixteen election. So now some of these things may seem plausible, more plausible, at least somewhat more plausible if you've got sort of a Jared Kushner character in the middle of this, or you've got Kid Rock advising on North Korea policy.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Kanye's in the room, and yeah, right, yes, does he ever get married or anything?
Speaker 5: Oh, he's married five times. Yes, he is married five times, according to the official biography, and there was a popular biography published in the nineties about him. I believe they only have three of his five marriages, and I discovered a couple more, one being his first marriage when he was a teenager was with fellow teenager and got her pregnant, and it seemed like a shotgun weddings sort of situation, and then she supposedly recanted and said it wasn't his, so I think that marriage was annulled.
Speaker 1: She got to know him for like two weeks.
Speaker 5: Just right, either his second or third marriage, and I forget now. I found a lengthy public record from that one where he is visiting broth you know, the allegations against him from friends and colleagues, or that he was visiting brothels, and detailed accounts of his infidelity as well as his abuse. You know, there's something in there about him throwing a baby on the ground. Not good stuff, so really unfortunate stuff there. I'd say the most fascinating marriage was to Rosa Lee Beelund. And Rosa was in her twenties when Napoleon Hill and she meet in the mid thirties, and this was seemed to be a marriage of convenience for some reason, that they had schemed together to take over the world. And it looks like she should take a lot of credit for the book Thinking grow Rich, his most popular work. She was at the very lead, heavily involved editor. But I think would probably today be considered a co author of that work.
Speaker 1: Would you look at that Napoleon Hill was no Matt Novak. I'll tell you that. Much as you've heard in previous seasons of our show, you'll know it's not uncommon for men like Napoleon to brashly build their empires by taking credit for the work of women. I'm thinking Avon Topperware Christianity, you.
Speaker 5: Know, because he was not a strong writer. Even his biographies admitted that some of his work was not great. So the success of Thing Grow Rich, his biggest work, is almost certainly a product of their marriage, which lasted just a few years.
Speaker 1: What do we know about her? Do we know anything about her?
Speaker 5: Well? So she The most interesting thing I think about her is that she convinced Napoleon to sign up pre Up that basically handed her all the publishing rights to his books. Wow and which Yes. The idea here being that if anyone came to sue him or tried to get claw money back for any number of his scams, that they wouldn't be able to touch him. That was the idea. But obviously that did not work out for him, because she divorced him and married the divorce attorney.
Speaker 1: No yes for each other.
Speaker 5: Yes, So we're in the late thirties and he shows up at at this a social experiment, let's use the term social experiment being conducted on Long Island. There is a guy named James Schaeffe who has started a cult called the Master Metaphysicians.
Speaker 1: Sounds legit, let mean.
Speaker 5: Double check, Royal Fraternity of the Master Metaphysicians. Say that again, the Royal Fraternity of the Master Metaphysicians.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, and they do what so.
Speaker 5: They are sort of regarded based on you know, I talked with a Long Island historian about this. They're basically seeing in the late thirties as this sort of kookie alternative community that's pretty harmless, but they have some rather unorthodox views. They buy up this this huge mansion in Long Island and a bunch of people come to live there, and you know, there's the innocuous stuff, which is the vegetarianism, but then there's the more they want to raise an immortal baby, so.
Speaker 1: They doesn't that sounds totally reasonable to me. Moving on, so.
Speaker 5: They adopt, and I use that term loosely, a five month old girl. Our mom was a waitress. I'm going to guess unmarried, and in the end it all turns out okay because the babies are turned. But you know, they attract some attention for wanting to. They believe that through their life philosophies they can they can make a person immortal, and so by starting from scratch with this baby, they think that they can, you know, get her to live forever.
Speaker 1: After all, if anything's possible using the power of the mind, why not at least try something truly impossible. Thinking and growing into whatever you decide you want to be. That's what it's about, right, creating a life that operates without restriction. It's about transcending, being extraordinary.
Speaker 5: In fact, the head of the cult, James Schaeffer, tried to get the people who were doing right around the same time. Nineteen thirty nine, New York World's Fair had this huge times capsule that's sealed for five thousand years, and they wanted to include some documents about her so she'd be the only person still alive at the time when this time capsule was.
Speaker 1: I thought you were going to say they wanted to include her. No, five thousand years from now, we open it up and she's like, Hi, I did it. They did it right? When did they give her back? Do you know, like, how long did they wait? Were they like terrible too, He's gotta go didn't work?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was after the press died down. It wasn't. It wasn't more than a couple of years. I know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she was an awful toddler and then they were sure right.
Speaker 5: But Napoleon Hill, oddly enough, was the baby's godfather.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 5: Yeah? No, he because he was hanging out at this place, you know, he was. He was buddies with Shaeffer and the cult leader, and they had all kinds of scams together. A couple of years later, Shaeffer would go to jail for one wealthy woman who felt like she was getting scammed, said hey, you took all my money. And Shaeffer wrote about how it was all Napoleon Hill's idea. But Napoleon I don't know how Napoleon Hill gets out of trouble in all these situations. As far as I know, he didn't. He was arrested a few times, but never served any considerable amount of time in prison as far as I can tell.
Speaker 1: What do you personally think about the type of person Napoleon Hill?
Speaker 7: Once?
Speaker 1: First of all, again, his name was Oliver Napoleon Hill.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I get the feeling that he carried this baggage of not having great ideas about self worth, and I think that he he was. I think that in some ways he really did believe in the idea that thoughts can affect material reality. I think that there's a kernel of truth to that that you first have to sort of visualize what you want to see in the world. But I think that he was using those ideas that were percolating at the time into an incredibly cynical scheme, an entire life devoted to trying to swindle money. Almost everything he did was dishonest in some way. And you know, the most honest buck he earned was in in the book that he's remembered for. But at the end of the day, it was probably the labor put in by his wife at the time was worth more than anything he'd ever accomplished.
Speaker 1: But Napoleon's Napoleonic impact is not only felt by people looking for guidance and business.
Speaker 5: You know, Okay, so the prosperity Gospel, the guys like Joel Austin are drawing much more from Napoleon Hill than they are from the Bible. I'd argue, you know, these people who want you, who are insistent upon the idea that God wants you to be rich and that you deserve it because God wants you to have all this wealth. Despite Jesus being pretty clear, it seems on the whole camel through the eye of a needle thing.
Speaker 1: The camel through the eye of a needle is often attributed to Jesus. It's also found in a bunch of other old religious texts. But here's how it is quoted. In the New Testament. Jesus says it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God.
Speaker 5: Seems to make it clear that rich people can and get into Heaven. So the prosperity gospel people today would be I think the best example of Napoleon Hill.
Speaker 1: Can you talk more about the time that he and his wife were writing this book, what was going on in America or around the world.
Speaker 5: Sure, well, you know in I believe unemployment peaked in nineteen thirty two or thirty three at around twenty five percent, so massive unemployment, the Great Depression of the nineteen thirties was incredibly difficult time for a lot of people, and a book like this coming in thirty seven or thirty eight was, you know, something that people could latch onto as Oh, I can think my way out of my material conditions. I can think my way out of being poor and not having a job and being on breadlines. And that's a powerful idea even in the best of times, but especially when people are struggling with the fact. And I think I mentioned this at the piece. You know, one of my favorite movies is Solvent's Travels, which is president Sturgist movie from forty one. I want to say that where the lesson is that people don't want to be reminded of difficult times when they're living through them. And when you're living through a difficult time, you savor And I think that, you know, not that they're completely analogous, but I think that people don't necessarily want a lot of stories right now about the pandemic because I think that was a tough time for everyone, and they want escapism, They want other forms of entertainment and education that have nothing to do with the pandemic because it was just such a tough period for a lot of people. Walk into a big bookstore like Barnes and Noble, and you're going to see Napoleon Hills books, especially Think and Grow Rich. His books get passed around at like real estate conferences and all sorts of different environments where people are big into sales. You know, he was essentially a salesman speaking to salesmen, and it makes a lot of sense that he came around at that time. There's a lot in his work that you know, there's the get rich quick angle, but there's also the believing in yourself angle. He has a lot of different ideas about how to improve your mind and body, things that would become mainstream and self help literature later on. But he definitely was selling people on the idea that to be a success you had to first think like a success, and we see that pop up in all of his writings.
Speaker 1: Here's the bottom line, though it worked. We are talking about him today. I'm talking about him right now. Napoleon Hill wanted to be a success, and he sold us on the idea that we could do the same thing. What he left out of his message was his obvious feeling that it was okay to get there by any means necessary. Sometimes it feels like we've collectively decided not to say that part out loud, to venerate the wealthy, successful, famous people and not look too hard at how they got there. Maybe we want someone to tell us how to do life, to absolve us of the responsibility of doing life in a moral way, because to have it all is inherently a moral Next time, our hero Jennifer does her best Napoleon Hill impression and does not like what it does to her.
Speaker 3: And when you first join, you're told like it's you get this free white Mercedes, or you earn ARBON will pay for a bonus, will pay a car bonus towards a white Mercedes, if you just could get yourself to regional vice president. What it actually means is you go to the Mercedes dealership, you get a three at least a three year lease in your name with your credit score, you sign up, so you're locked in. And now I see it clear as day. It's a way to keep you locked in for the next three years, because how are you going to pay for it? And you put it in your name and ARBON gets all the credit for it.
Speaker 1: Was there reimbursement enough to actually cover the lease and insurance? No The Dream is written, hosted, and executive produced by me Jane Marie. Our producer is Mike Richter, with help from Nancy Golumbiski and Joy Sandford. Our editor is Peter Clowney. The Dream is a co production of Little Everywhere in Pushkin Industries. If you love this show, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus, offering bonus content, exclusive binge opportunities, and add free listening across our network for just six ninety nine a month. Look for the Pushkin Plus channel on Apple Podcasts or at pushkin dot fm, and while you're there, please sign up for our newsletter. To find more Pushkin podcasts, listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your shows.