Speaker 1: Hey, it's fifty cent and I'm Charlie Webster. I know so many of you loved the first season of Surviving l Chapo, the twins who brought down a drug lord, and have been patiently waiting for season two.
Speaker 2: Don't worry, we got you. Season two starts next week. We got the Real Deal. This is the story of identical twins Jay and Peter Flores speaking to us publicly for the first time, and their wives Foul and Bed. The Floreest twins became the biggest drug draft beckers in North America at twenty three, but they wanted to break the cycle and give their children a better life, a chance they never had went away from crime. The only way out was to turn themselves into the US government and cooperate against the biggest drug lord of all time, a man who they saw is family the real Deal, Joaquin Guzman laretam El Chapo.
Speaker 1: The consequences of their decision start to unravel more than they ever could have imagined. Since we've been making this production for the last two years, this has played out in real time, as you'll soon start to find out in season two. Back in season one, right in the middle of recording in the safe house, the wives lawyers called with some devastating news. It was the call that changed everything once again for the Flores's family. Now Valenvieve find themselves heading to prison, fifteen years after their husbands first turned themselves in. In season two, we will bring you up to date with the story of the Flora's family from the moment they were brought in by US authorities, went face to face with El Chapo in the courtroom, all the way up to present day. Stay tuned to discover if the Flores's family still feels the Twins did the right thing, weather they feel it was all worth it. Season two begins exactly where we left off, So here's a short recap of everything that happened on the last season of Surviving l Chapo. The Twin two brought down a drug lord.
Speaker 3: Our introduction to the drug business started at a seven years old when dad came home from prison.
Speaker 4: How long was he in prison? Some news? It was an earning experience.
Speaker 3: I don't even think we thought marijuana was like a bad thing, right. It was like as soon as he got home and he was like.
Speaker 4: A back ay.
Speaker 3: Our own was raided by the Chicago Police Department my older brother took a blame the first time. The second time they came, they're the ones there to take the blame for him. When my dad wasn't the run, my other brother he would sell cocaine out the house.
Speaker 4: We started meeting our kinds of people.
Speaker 3: You know, in his business he sold like a lot two kilos an apartment and he was arrested by that DEA and that loft us in our situation that we depended on him, you know, he was our provider. Not too long after that when we first got approached by his connect as drug supplier with the opportunity to to get into business. I'm sixteen years old, some two years old, and you know there's ten thousand dollars worth of bills on the table. I mean, working in Walmart wasn't going to cover that.
Speaker 4: Three months into.
Speaker 3: Our drug checking career, we're making a million dollars.
Speaker 1: At seventeen, Jay and Pete had made a million dollars in cash. By twenty three, the twins were the biggest drug traffick is in North America.
Speaker 3: My brother that we probably easily pushed over one hundred and thirty one hundred and forty tons since nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 4: February ninety two, thousand and four, and here my phone started ringing, ringing, the ring.
Speaker 3: I remember answering my phone and there's my sibs and she's like, pee.
Speaker 4: They're in the houses.
Speaker 3: They're in everyone's house, defensident.
Speaker 4: They're looking for you, they're looking for don't go on.
Speaker 3: Is there everywhere?
Speaker 4: And I remember that panic hit. There's a word out for our rest. There's an a pendent in Dinatman out of Milwaukee. There's search wards. That's not good.
Speaker 3: Remember crossing the bording and just fiting some relea to have crossed that border.
Speaker 4: Get to Mexico. It's about Jay, my older brother and his wife. They can take me up.
Speaker 3: We're like, it's just so happy to see tell them like, okay, we made it out. You know.
Speaker 4: It's of mets.
Speaker 3: And little by little I was going to kind of fade out and stop doing that, like stopped selling drugs, and did the opposite.
Speaker 4: It happen. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The brothers fled to Mexico as fugitives with their wives Ball and Viv, and despite not being on the ground, their drug business just continued to boom. Pete's wife, Viv explains that things got more and more chaotic.
Speaker 5: It was just so much going on, so many different people coming in and out of the house, different cars, Jane with his one hundred phones, few with his I mean, it was just overwhelming.
Speaker 1: And then Pete was kidnapped in Mexico.
Speaker 4: My older brother club. He said, Bro, they just called. They said that they have Peter Kinner and they were them up.
Speaker 3: They walked me to a small room like a sun and there's no windows in there.
Speaker 4: They have a bed in there. I was just happy, still alive. So I get another con from somewhere else. He said, we're calling. We have your brother.
Speaker 3: You guys a chapel temperate eat.
Speaker 4: My best friend Tommy, I call him right away.
Speaker 3: When I told Tommy that chapel has Peter, He's like, let's go to Coli.
Speaker 4: We're gonna get your brother back. We arrived to this.
Speaker 3: Like farm, but there's planes, a bunch of small assessments.
Speaker 4: We start walking.
Speaker 3: There's the pilot's this holl skinny kid wearing flipflops. He has to be sixteen years old. And he like opens the door and I'm like, this is not right. And I sat there like, oh my god. And as we're kind of.
Speaker 4: On the plane.
Speaker 3: We're going to big peaks like the plane, I feel like something there's the tree are going to just like rub the belly of the plane.
Speaker 4: And it was this big mountain.
Speaker 3: Were king of heading towards end. And now I'm really really scared. I'm like, what the he lands, I'm kind of getting off. Everyone's just looking at me. We come up the stairs and realize it's a big old it's huge. There's tables. I see that there's like these picnic tables. There's a bunch of newspapers and if someone have to pull the face in the front of it. And I looked and I could see his hat and coming up so slowly. Then I see him.
Speaker 4: He looks at me and he.
Speaker 3: Couldn't gives a second take, reaches out his side and he like, kingman, I tell my name, are the real Florestan the florest.
Speaker 4: He's kind of stairs.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm kind of trying to give me back my hand a little bit, and and so how could I help you?
Speaker 4: And said, well, look, I'm here because they killed my brother.
Speaker 3: I don't owe that money, and I'm here to see if I could work something that's for my brother. Well, he said, I'm sorry to say, but that money's old to me and I'm not going to forgive that then. And he said, there's no money that's worth losing your brother. I just lost my and I would pay whatever it is to just get my brother back. And then when you come back, we could do business. You could come work for me. I could give you drugs. We could keep making money together. So I started collecting money, started making payments. The next day, I get a call early no morning. So he says, hey, listen, your brother's not well. And he said, and everything that.
Speaker 6: You know I had known of you, it seems like you're you're a man of your word, and that that says a lot. I don't give me your word that you're going to pay me back my money and.
Speaker 4: I'll let your gotta like I'm let me get up the truck and kiss. I was like, that was gonna die. And he was like, what happened? And I was like, I'm at chapel.
Speaker 1: The meeting with l Chapo to free Peete is ultimately what led to the twins becoming part of the Cineloa cartel family. This is what changed everything. As Jay's wife Val describes.
Speaker 7: Their life, changed drastically over night, and there was just so many new people around.
Speaker 3: Us, and who's going to protect us better than the biggest drug lords in the world. They welcomed us in with open arms, and the mecca of drug lords in present time, the drug lords that we know about it Chapel Mile. At that time, we were important to them. We had access to more drugs than anyone else because of who we were as in our personalities, how we carried ourselves.
Speaker 4: I think there was a turning point.
Speaker 3: We're at the table with the biggest drug lords and they love us, and.
Speaker 4: With that comes power and protect power.
Speaker 3: And protection and celebrations and a life that no one could have dreamed of.
Speaker 1: But the life at the top of the drug game isn't always cracked up to be.
Speaker 3: We were at the top right things are getting taken for me, not just that I was going through hardships, that was maturing. I was under starting to understand like the destruction and everything that was doing to me, to a family, and trying to understand that what we were doing wasn't the right thing to do. And we could sit there all the time and say, oh, yeah, well I don't hurt anyone. I don't kill anyone that didn't matter. I was watching thing this documentary came out about John Gotti in the mo film. It just said that, you know, Sammy the boy had received five years for nineteen murders first corporation against John Gotty, and I remember thinking to myself, Wow, you got five years recovering against John Gotty. In my head, I was like, who the fuck is John Gotti? The people we were dealing with. I felt like it was living John Gotti's whole life. Each day I woke up in the middle of the night and I do call it in epiphany.
Speaker 4: It was this moment of just charity. I could cooperate.
Speaker 3: I think we would have to do some prison time, but we'll have a chance to change your life. Sitting at home and thinking about it and thinking about really just wanting a way out, just one way, wanting a way to just be there for my family, kill him a different way of life.
Speaker 4: I wanted the life.
Speaker 1: The only way out was to cooperate against the man they now saw his family Joaquin Guzman Luera El Chapo. But first Jay had to convince his brother.
Speaker 4: Peter, who shows up him in vir shop.
Speaker 3: Hey, I said, come in the wash come in the bathroom, and at that time, we have a really huge shower. I was like a twelve people showers and we have all these jets and it's like, I don't know, sixteen shower heads. But when the shower heads were going, you couldn't hear anything. I turned on the shower. I said, listen, if we know, we could give them anyone they want, and if you know, saving a bullcot five years for nineteen murder thro a corporate turn got whooping a good situation. So I'm just thinking that worst case that we could get ten years. I don't think none of us want the life that's coming for us, and I think that this will be our chance for us to change our life into something different. But we're gonna have to sacrifice. I said, when we need to talk to our turney and how we're going to do that. And I was like, me and my brother Post looked.
Speaker 4: About the attorney.
Speaker 7: When I flew into Chicago, I went to his office to go see him, and I just sat down in his office and I'm like, listen, this is really important. You can't say anything to anyone, I said, Jay and Peter, they're thinking about cooperating with the US government, and we're gonna need your help.
Speaker 3: The first told me that he actually was able to reach out to an agent and he said, I'm gonna put you on the phone. His thing was Sam Chanelli, and that's gonna be the first age we ever talked to. He said, And I'm gonna talk to us a train's office. I gotta talk to people higher ups and see how we could do this. You guys are doing the right thing. You're coming on to the good site. Right before we hung up, he said, welcome to Tim, and say welcome to Tam and say.
Speaker 4: That hurt.
Speaker 3: I was like Team USA, and I kind of made me think like what team might have And I felt like that was the biggest moment where I felt like a trader, like right, they're just talking to them. And I said, look, man, I'm looking to make a deal, but I'm looking to make the that's still you ever made. He said, I got three people for you, and I told him again, I got chap of mine.
Speaker 4: I thought the tub he tells.
Speaker 3: Me, the only thing I can tell you is that, but it would be the most valuable thing you could do is start if you can documenting some of these conversations. So I went to radio shop and bought a bunch of recording device.
Speaker 4: I'm meeting the facts.
Speaker 3: We kind of get into the conversations. I remember the first thing that I talked to him about was like, look, I have I have a lot of information for you guys, but I need to be reassured.
Speaker 4: I need to know that I want.
Speaker 3: I wanna promise that that no harmon's gonna be come to my family, that you're gonna promise it keep them safe, and that then nobody in my family will be prosecuted for any of the crimes related to my drug trafficking. And it was like, do you think we would give a fuck about your family? What we need is a solid case and Chop it was my and we could get him with a recording that leads back to a drug seizure. And she got don't I promise you the best deal? You can imagine? Like, you get the best you know the government has ever given up?
Speaker 4: And I was like, that's it.
Speaker 3: I was so nervous now, of course, to me the recording, but what was to come?
Speaker 4: What did this mean for my life?
Speaker 3: Like it was an ugly feeling, you know, getting the recorder and the only thing offense had killed me like a ear piece with a microphone on. You know, when you put the phone into your ear, you can hear it and then they can record.
Speaker 4: I remember putting into my.
Speaker 3: Ear and like the secretary answered, I'm like, oh, it's the twin and I'm like, I don't even know what to say. I remember I'm saying Amigo, like carrying his voice again, kid casthology and did by to get over that. That was like a big moment, and I remember thinking that this is my ticket home. On two weeks after the trup of recording and we get a car to Sunday. Our attorney wants to talk to us. It's early, right, and he said you although us attorney.
Speaker 4: Wants to talk to you. He said, he wants you guys to turn yourselves in today. Really just hit us, huh what?
Speaker 3: I then it wanted to say goodbye to It was scary to think that, and I didn't like losing my family. And every day we tumped in the truck two agents. Did you guys mean the recorders?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: And we were emotion it's okay, guys, you they're doing the right thing. And they started driving towards the airport. Didn't he come for a flat.
Speaker 1: The twins were put on a private plane and escorted out of the country by the FEDS. The rest of the family were left to fend for themselves. Vall had to step up to get the family out of Mexico alive.
Speaker 8: When jamp left, he knew that there was just no plan for us. It looked like this whole lake entourage, and we had to drive two hours get to the border. You got to pass through all these towels. You look so fucking crazy, and it's the night, and we drove through the whole night when it stopped, and we drive up to the border and we get there and they asked us for our papers, and I'm giving them my passport, I'm giving them kids papers. I was like, the first one ticket there and they're like, hold on, hold on, everyone gotta wait.
Speaker 4: I was like, no, we can't wait. We gotta go in.
Speaker 8: And I'm like they're gonna kill us. They're gonna fucking kill us.
Speaker 9: I said, we have to get out of the country.
Speaker 4: We have to get.
Speaker 9: Back to the US or US citizens. And at that point I knew, I just knew this was our life. It didn't matter whatever. Champeded and co operated. I knew at that point that they were gonna always look at us like criminals.
Speaker 8: I knew it, and I just I felt like he needs such a huge mistake.
Speaker 3: They're right, took the last step and I just like stretching out my legs a little bit and my brother gets it's behind me and he's like okay, and they're like, all right, Turnron, it's excuse me, he said, Turnron put trying to wreck and it hit.
Speaker 10: Me and get put the heckus. That was where like my brother and I looked at us like this is this is our life? Ban no and cussed the shackles. Just keep telling ourselves that we're doing the right thing. We end up flying into small airport right out north of Chicago. I remember when the plane landed, we looking out the window and I just saw nothing but police slights and.
Speaker 4: Lots of.
Speaker 3: The taxi and when the door opens, it's cold. I remember stepping a foot outside of the airplane and standing there, I.
Speaker 4: Just see the sea of like blue jackets like the e.
Speaker 3: A US Marshalls, And when I saw the cards and like all the agents in marshals, just like staring at us.
Speaker 4: I think cause the first time I ever felt like Holy shit.
Speaker 2: Deep Vanierra. Season two starts once did a fourth.
Speaker 1: Or backtop, surviving El Chapo, The Twins Who Brought Down a Drug Lord. Season two is hosted by Curtis fifty cent Jackson and me Charlie Webster. Produced by myself and Jackson McLennan, Assistant producer and research support by Casey Hurtz, Edit and sound design by Nico Polella. Theme music and original score by Ryan Sorenson. It's executive produced by Curtis fifty cent Jackson and Me Charlie Webster. Curtis fifty cent Jackson presents a Lionsgate Sound and G Unit audio production exclusively for iHeart Podcasts.