Speaker 1: Hey, this is Anny and welcome to Stephane.
Speaker 2: Never told your production of iHeartRadio, and today we have a very special recording for you for a couple of reasons.
Speaker 1: First off, Samantha is away.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna talk about it more in a second, but she is on a birthday trip. She is better from COVID, but she's on a birthday trip. But that means that my good friend Lauren and coworker Lauren, who is on the Savorite podcast with me, is filling in on what is quite an interesting experience we're having right now. We'll talk about it in a second, but welcome Lauren to Spinty.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, yes, Hi, Hello. I am so glad to be here in this bizarre circumstance with you.
Speaker 2: You you stepped up because we got asked to go on this work trip to Las Vegas where we are recording live from the iHeart Podcast studio powered by Bows at the House of Music at the iHeartRadio Music Festival. And it's like a booth in the middle of a music festival.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and we have like this cool just just just plexiglass door, so it feels like an action figure box. It does can just kind of like stare at us and take pictures. Yeah, which makes me, as a podcaster who does this in my house with my cat, very comfortable.
Speaker 4: This is completely natural.
Speaker 1: Right, very natural.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, I'm looking at right now and trying not to think too much about it. But we are very excited to have you. Thank you so much for volunteering to talk about this.
Speaker 1: And we're gonna have fun. We're gonna have fun.
Speaker 3: Oh, we certainly are. If it had been any other topic, I might have been like, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Do that one by yourself.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so we're here for the iHeart Music Festival and we've had a good time. We've had a good time. Yeah, but it's been a whirlwind. And yeah, Samantha is away. Her birthday is September twenty sixth, which happens to be the last.
Speaker 1: Of us day. She always makes fun of me when I point that out.
Speaker 2: But that got me thinking, like, what could we talk about that would be in that kind of horror realm, all right, you know I don't need an excuse to talk about stuff like that, zero percent, right, But I was like, what could it be? And then I was thinking what could it be that would fit with you and it wouldn't be too much research. And then I realized the thirtieth anniversary of the X Files.
Speaker 3: Oh, which makes me feel very old, but in a really fun way.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I'm glad for that. And so I was just like, I feel the.
Speaker 2: X Files and we're going to talk about this has come up in so many of our episodes when that wasn't the topic, that wasn't the case that was really looking into, because.
Speaker 3: You've done a couple on purpose, like you did one about Scully like in general as like a fictional lady human, and then you did one with Bridget about yeah, the Scully effects and science effect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, and we will talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: But it just kept coming up, and I was so intrigued by that.
Speaker 2: I was so interested in why it is that I'm looking into the history of shipping and I'm learning about X Files, or I'm looking into the history of fan fiction and I'm learning about X file.
Speaker 3: And as your listeners probably know, you're not talking about like ground to air shipping, like you're talking about like fan fiction shipping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But hilariously enough, Samantha did think that's what we.
Speaker 1: Were talking about.
Speaker 2: The shipping so, Samantha, I love you.
Speaker 4: That's amazing, that's so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh geez. She was like, what are we talking about ground No, honey, No. So I thought it would just.
Speaker 2: Be fun when we're here in Las Vegas, we're in this very interesting setup if we could have a conversation about both how this show impacted the Internet, because, as I've said a million times I'll say it again, in this probably when we're talking about fan fiction, when we're talking about fans spaces, a lot of that is women, non binary people, yeah, queer people. So I think it is if anyone's like, why is this on a feminist show?
Speaker 1: I think that that is enough to be worth talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also the impact of Scully specifically.
Speaker 1: But I just think it.
Speaker 2: Would be fun for you and me, who liked the show but have different perspectives, to discuss.
Speaker 1: This thirtieth anniversary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fine, I'm fine with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I Also, Samantha made it very clear that we have a book that we're trying to sell. Oh yeah, the STUFFMA never told you book, And there is a bunch of stuff about Scully in there.
Speaker 1: So oh heck, yeah, okay, yeah, yes, yeah, okay, But all right.
Speaker 2: Let's just I feel like sometimes do you ever feel this way, Lauren, where you know something so well you feel like you don't have to explain it absolutely, but you're not sure or if maybe no one else knows what you're talking.
Speaker 3: I yes, I feel that exact way about the X Files. Okay, great, and so I kind of try to. I feel like I overcompensate by overexplaining it.
Speaker 4: Actually, yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am in the same boat. But so that being said, I am not going to give a big.
Speaker 1: Explainer of the X Files.
Speaker 2: That would take way too long and that's not really what this is about. But I will tell you a brief summary.
Speaker 3: Great, short, perfect, Yeah, let's ground ourselves in reality before we go completely bonkers.
Speaker 1: Love it. The truth is out there.
Speaker 2: The X Files is a sci fi paranormal television show that debuted in nineteen ninety three, and it follows the believer Fox Molder played by David Duchovney and the skeptic Danas Scully played by Jillian Anderson, their FBI agents that are assigned to the X Files, which is sort of a catch all for weird paranori one strange cases that pretty much know when else what Molder wants to work on.
Speaker 1: Would you add anything else to that description?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His nickname around uh the FBI campus is Spooky Fuss Spooky Molder, So that pretty much tells you what you need to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's like in a basement, like in the dark. Oh yeah, yeah, it like it like used to be the copy room.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh and yeah, and then Scully gets called a Dana. Scully gets called in to basically like tattle on him.
Speaker 1: Right, That's how it starts. She's supposed to be the one that's.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, and she is a skeptic.
Speaker 1: She is, she is.
Speaker 2: And again, if this was a different episode, we could talk about she has doesn't she have? She wears wears a cross? Yeah, and there's a whole arc examining absolutely her faith.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But when this came out, I read a lot of articles that were like, it was not set up to be successful.
Speaker 1: It was it was.
Speaker 2: Coming out of Friday Nights, I believe, which is sort of known as the Death Sway. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Even the creator, Chris Carter, definitely didn't think it was going to get more than one season. He was epically unprepared for that happening, and was kind of like scrambling. He was like, oh more, really, I wasn't this plot arc doesn't make any sense?
Speaker 2: Really, Okay, sure figure out.
Speaker 3: So if you've ever thought that the mythark, if you're a watcher of the X Files and you've ever thought that the mythark is very silly, that's maybe the reason why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean, what a fascinating mindset to be like, this is definitely gonna fail.
Speaker 1: Oh whoa, oh no, what do I do now?
Speaker 2: But one of the interesting things the Xiles came out during third wave feminism, and it was very there was a lot of stuff happening, yeah, in this sphere. And one of the interesting things about Scully, who we're going to talk about a lot in this, is that she was the skeptic. She was playing against kind of stereotypical gender type.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And according to Chris Carter, who was the creator of the series, he was like immediately he wanted to cast her, but the network was like.
Speaker 1: They want they wanted a bombshell and apparently they wanted Pamela Anderson.
Speaker 4: I love this. I love this alternate universe in which that happened.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I mean, okay, first of all, I am personally offended that anyone would say that Gillian Anderson is not a bombshell, right, she is a beautiful lady.
Speaker 4: There's that episode.
Speaker 3: There's an image that lives in my mind permanently, and thank thanks the universe for it for living. There is the moment in an episode of Hannibal season three.
Speaker 4: When she is swaning through.
Speaker 3: An Italian palazzo and she is just a divine creature, just absolutely hecking gorgeous, and I'm just like, so so a but b yeah, what a gift that the network was that wrong, and the Chris Carter fought back.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also Carter said he didn't want romance between Molder and Scully.
Speaker 1: We are going to be talking about that a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it didn't turn out that way, I guess, but uh no.
Speaker 2: And so this is one of the interesting things and we're about to get into this. I have seen all the X Files, if you've listened to the other episodes we've done of the X Files, though my memory is not great.
Speaker 1: Lauren is here to help me.
Speaker 4: A little bit yet.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, so I've I haven't watched past season six with any regularity. There there are there are what nine original seasons, and then they came back and did two shorter one ten eleven, like twenty years later. Yep, two movies, two movies. I saw the first movie. I don't think I ever bothered seeing the second one. So up through season like six, I have a near like photographic memory because I watched these episodes over and.
Speaker 1: Over and over and over and over again.
Speaker 3: In a way that only like an eleven year old with no job can do. There's nothing but like a VHS and nothing else going on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, interesting, did you record them?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes I did? Okay, yes, I hecking did.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm going to pick your brain about this in the second Okay, yes, I would love to talk about that. But yes, there was this whole idea of Scully being kind of the more lot skeptical one, which was near.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and and her being right like her being the scientist like Moulder is kind of the like impassioned creative ideas guy, and she's the one going like really, Molder, but yeah, like she's the one constantly having to to like check him and like be like could we bring logic to this conversation literally at all, and him usually going we know, but uh, but yeah, because like Molder is an absolute mess, like and this is known from like the first episodes, like he is just Zany is putting it kindly and like he definitely I think within the first uh season, he's like observed to have a little bit of a like poor an addiction of what yeah, yeah, he's wow. He's like calling sex lines like his yeah, like he is completely incapable of having a relationship with a real human woman. He's frequently through these episodes the damsel in distress that Scully has to come save. Uh and like Scully has her hack in life together like like she is, I mean until she meets Molder.
Speaker 4: And then she kind of gets drecked.
Speaker 1: Is Molder? Is Molder a manic pixie dream boy? Oh oh okay that that warn't some thought?
Speaker 2: Uh now something else you said? Because you when I gave you this assignment and you kindly stepped up. You have been rewatching some old episodes I have.
Speaker 3: I've been watching like all of my favorite like season one through season three episodes this week.
Speaker 4: And it's it's honestly holds up. It's okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Biased, Like I have no I have no way to be unbiased about this show because I loved it so hard and so much when I was a tiny child, or like it like a teenager, which is the same thing. No offense to any teenagers out there right now. I was certainly a tiny child during that time. But yeah, I feel like it holds up. I feel like it really Like the writing is sharp. David Deevney and Gillian Anderson are both doing a bang up job.
Speaker 4: All of the.
Speaker 3: Random side characters are doing interesting things, like they're making interesting choices and some of the like, yeah, like I was picking and choosing episodes very carefully. Okay, my favorite My favorite are four that were written by this one writer, Darren Morgan. He's the little brother of Glenn Morgan, who's one of the director producers of the series.
Speaker 4: And from the.
Speaker 3: Beginning, he was like, please let me write for this show. This seems so cool, it's right up my alley. And Glenn was like, nah, but if you want to get in this rubber Flukeman costumes and sit in a pool for ten hours to film the Flukeman.
Speaker 4: Episode, then you can do that. And he said yes.
Speaker 3: And then either later later in the first season or maybe at the beginning of the second season, he's got to start writing, and he wrote my four favorite episodes, uh huh, which are Humbug Hosehns from Outer Space, War of the kaffer Phages, and Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. Oh great titles, right, yeah, and they're like they're like the funny episodes, like they're they're definitely making fun of the tropes that X Files has already set up, right and like really playing with like how silly and funny these situations can be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that was another thing you pointed out, was that this is a if you haven't seen it, and I'm always interested when people discover things late or they're younger and they discover it after it's long been off the air, that it's a genre show where like you get all.
Speaker 1: Kinds of things in it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's like one is very scary, one is funny, one is a cops like sad time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's not I mean like right, like like there's usually some kind of supernatural, paranormal kind of kind of element to it, but other than that, they're really allowed to be either dramatic or funny, or rite or horrifying or horrifying in different ways, Like you might go body horror one episode and then have a totally different like jump scare kind of horror and another.
Speaker 4: One, and it's just like what they're up to. And I love the idea.
Speaker 3: Of that writer's room being so open and so free to be able to do that, and I think that's part of why it was such a good show.
Speaker 2: It was and it resonated with a lot of people, and we're going to talk about that, and it resonated with meeting Lauren. So I thought we would go into sort of our personal experiences here.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, yep, yep, ER's so yes.
Speaker 2: As I've discussed before several times, I have a very bad track record of not listening to my parents when they would tell me not to watch them, and then it turns out they were right.
Speaker 1: I probably shouldn't have watched something.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: They knew you. They were like, yeah, you just shouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: So I had been told I shouldn't watch it, I really wanted to watch it, and I snuck in and watched it, and I would like watch it. I would time it because it would come on there would be reruns on Sundays at like three am and I would like.
Speaker 1: Play it really low when I get close to the TV.
Speaker 2: And yeah, they found out because I started having nightmares and They're like, where is this coming from?
Speaker 1: And I was like like, oh no, They're.
Speaker 2: Like, how did you hear of Killer be I was like the news, terrible.
Speaker 1: Liar, I'm a terrible liar. Wow, there is a killer episode every Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was banned for a while, but eventually the band was lifted and I was allowed to watch again.
Speaker 1: And I would watch it with my friend of the phone.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, totally totally in the day of like corded phone ye, like yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: And we would cheat.
Speaker 2: Her satellite connection was a little bit better than mine. She I would hear her gasp and I'd be like what and then a secondard like oh well, it was so fun. Yeah. And this is also I've told the story a million times. I didn't have the language for it at the time, but this is when I realized probably gay, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that wasn't I didn't realize certainly at the time, right right, like I was eleven, it was nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 4: I didn't have the linguistics.
Speaker 1: For this yet.
Speaker 4: But uh.
Speaker 3: But in college when I realized I'm by, I was like, oh, Molder and Scully. Of course, why didn't I see this before? Yeah, it's like in retrospect, I'm like duh, like what like? But but that was like the one example that I would like people would be like what really like like what I had kind of like my coming out to my friends. I think this is actually the first time I've ever come out on a podcast. So welcome, welcome to welcome, thank you. Yeah yeah, but right, like like I like, people would be like, what are you talking about? And I would be like Molder and Scully, right, yeah, yeah, and it would be like really, I'm like, yeah, I don't know, man, how I feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was I just remember because I think I was in seventh grade when I realized and I was just watching it, and again I didn't have the language that I was just.
Speaker 1: Like, I have an interest here something.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way about these two characters.
Speaker 1: And we're not alone because that there is essays.
Speaker 2: There are essays you can find about how quote Jillian Anderson Danis Scully made me gay From the nineties, She's jaking jokingly referred to as the gateway lesbian of choice.
Speaker 4: She's a good one.
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and those pantsuits, let's go.
Speaker 1: I know she made them look very sharp. Oh she did.
Speaker 2: I have a whole theory about this, and we can't get into it, but I feel like it's sort of the when people are not conforming to their stereotypical genders, people are like like, wait a minute, interesting, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yes, but that was my experience, what about you, Laura?
Speaker 3: So right, So so this show started coming out when I was eleven, and I was immediately hooked. My dad didn't want my dad didn't like spooky things, so he never wanted to be watching it. Like I couldn't watch it with him in the room, but which is part of why I started videotaping it. But yeah, but I was. He was totally like, yeah, do whatever you want, kid, But no, I was.
Speaker 4: I was obsessed. I was very obsessed.
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 3: It it was sort of my whole personality for a while, like that level, and it was very intense. It was an intense love but like like to like to the point that I definitely I was. I was on the yearbook staff. If that wasn't already clear to anybody, uh, and because I was on the eearbook staff, we could have basically whatever we wanted printed on the front of the book instead of our name. And if my my my senior year yearbook definitely says Lauren to Coveney.
Speaker 1: On the cover. Wow, I'm so happy to have learned this.
Speaker 3: I am very embarrassed. But it's okay. It's just okay, it's okay, that's fine.
Speaker 2: You know about my first emails, Angel come on, so I loved Nea from the Matrix.
Speaker 1: It's all right.
Speaker 3: Also, Neo and Trinity come on.
Speaker 1: It's right there. Oh gosh, you're so right anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so's so right.
Speaker 3: So I kind of fell off watching around season six to seven. I think partially because like I went to school and I didn't have a TV access really anymore, but partially because like the show was going through these changes, like the first movie had come out between seasons five and six, and David Coveney had the show moved to la they had been previously filming in Vancouver, and just the whole palette of the show change, and like a lot of the crew was different, like I don't know, the feel was different. And then yeah, d Coveny took some time off and they had different characters in there, and I was like, I don't care about this, which is sad or I mean it certainly was at the time, like it kind of broke my heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you love something so much and then its just it either because you don't like this how it's going anymore, it's just move on.
Speaker 1: It's sad. I hear you. I watched all of it. I was definitely sad when David Ducopney left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I love Robert Patrick, who played agent Doggett, who stepped in as a skeptic to Scully's believer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, interestingly, Yes, Oh my gosh, I just want to pick your brain about some plot point stuff because oh gosh, Okay.
Speaker 2: Just a couple of specific things, because like I said, you you have been watching stuff, and I my memory, even though I've watched it all, I have very specific, clear memories of certain things and nothing else.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but one of the big things I do remember is the pregnancy arc with Scully, and I didn't you know there was like kind of a real life thing going on as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, so so what happened with this was in season five It's revealed that Scully had had a baby while she was Alien abducted back in season two during the episodes Duanne Barry and Ascension, which are two of the episodes that I just watched.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, research this is like extra nerdy for me.
Speaker 1: I love it. You're in a place.
Speaker 3: But but but right, the whole abduction thing was written in because Jillian Anderson was pregnant in real life and she had to go have a baby. And the episodes leading up to this, like her coats keep getting bigger, and like her costumes keep getting billowyer and like yeah, and then and then she had she she goes, she has the baby. She's off the show for like maybe like one episode, and then she comes back and you know, the plot of this is that she's coming back from being from having disappeared for a period of time, and she's like lying in a hospital and I swear to heck, they must have like built up her boobs to like hide the pregnancy stomach, like and because because she's a slight little lady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and those booms are huge. I mean it could be it could be her milk could come in.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there, but it definitely looked hilarious. Okay, anyway, uh yeah, so so so right, So they bring in this this this plotterarc in season five, it turns out that the baby had been adopted out, and then I think the child died shortly after that. Scully is at the time pronounced infertile, but then definitely has a baby in season eight, some kind of like miracle baby that I guess has psychic powers.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch that part.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess it's I guess it's Moulder's child. I thought it was, but then I thought it was an alien chap.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's all.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's both. Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Yeah, she has that.
Speaker 3: Smalls be the alien thing going on, so she could have weird DNA in there.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know her life. That's true.
Speaker 2: I actually am fascinated and I want to come back to at some point the depiction of pregnancy and horror.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, I love this.
Speaker 2: I love this.
Speaker 3: I will come back and talk about this literally anytime. I love so much that, like the one admittance that we get from dudes in Hollywood that being female might suck is all of these horror pregnancy tropes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, anyway, in every.
Speaker 2: Horror you're like, oh you're pregnant, Oh no, oh no.
Speaker 3: Or when like a dude is pregnant in whatever way, like an alien or something like that.
Speaker 4: How completely horrifying it.
Speaker 2: It's horrifying trade Yes, exactly, exactly. Well another day, Yeah, something else you mentioned that I uh didn't pick up on when I was watching this is how Scully is kind of depicted as a foil.
Speaker 1: There's other women that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so okay, So so like the principal cast of the show is really like Scully and a bunch of dudes. It's basically all dudes and Scully, but like like there's there's lady characters in like episode to episode, and and I remember them all being you know, if anyone has watched more of it more more recently than me, like check me if I'm wrong, but I remember them always being written as like people like imagine that.
Speaker 1: Like whoa I know, right?
Speaker 4: You know, like occasionally.
Speaker 3: Episodes would be centered around yeah, like like using speculative fiction to create metaphors around lady issues of one kind or another, which we're probably a little bit too on the nose.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but that's okay. Uh certainly.
Speaker 3: One one standout side random lady character for me is doctor Banby Barrenbaum, the name alone, who is an entomologist. Okay, I'm saying the right one. It's bugs, not words. Yeah, entomologist. Y's great and yeah she her parents were both naturalists. That's why she has the name Bamby. Oh okay, okay, but she is this lovely, kind of bucksome woman who Molder meets in one of my favorite episodes, Where Are the Copper Pages in season three, and he has he's he has a total crush on her. He's like, goofy, yeah, oh yeah, the whole thing, the whole thing, and she's talking about cockroaches and he hates bugs and like so it's very funny but like but like also, like Scully is like trying to get a hold of him while he's trying to get his game on, and at one point he just answers the phone and goes like not now and.
Speaker 1: Hangs it right back. Oh my good.
Speaker 3: So when Scully finally meets her, like Scully is very snippy, which which I didn't which I get was like funny, but I don't appreciate the writing if I hate the trope of like ladies hate other ladies, especially when there's a love interest possibly involved, right, especially because they were not even in a relationship at that point except in my mind.
Speaker 2: Right, oh my gosh, we're gonna talk about this in the shipping part.
Speaker 1: But I feel like that's yeah, that's what are you doing at that point? Right? Yeah, come on?
Speaker 3: But that was that was the thing, Like, like that I was certainly noticing going back through, Like they start acting like an old married couple pretty much immediately, and certainly when she gets abducted in season two, like it is clear that Mulder would kill or die for this lady, Like he is just completely it's sort of like a Zara fl In Crowley and uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah that's so again, Lauren.
Speaker 2: You I'm so glad you're here because you're bringing such knowledge to it, because I, like I said, I don't want listends will be hearing me and be like, well, she doesn't know anything about this. I didn't watch it all, but I think I was just too young, oh sure to pick up on a lot of it.
Speaker 1: But that is definitely interesting that they were already.
Speaker 2: Especially since Chris Carter, as we already said, was saying I didn't want a romantic relationship, and then it seems.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, it's also like it's so difficult to.
Speaker 3: You know, you have two attractive people together, and I think the the reaction is like, oh, they're in a relationship. Yeah, especially if it's if it's two people who are supposed who are like attracted to that sex, a person right for that gender, yeah, right, and so like so like, part of it is just that we have so few examples in media of people who aren't in relationships, So people who are just friends and who that is a sustained life, long term friendship, yes, which is worked. That is completely silly. That happens in real life so many times.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And I've been talking about this too, because since I'm not into romance, I identify as grace sexually a sexual. I don't know why I'm always looking for romance and stuff like why is this happening?
Speaker 1: I don't even like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it feels like we've made it into a more important relationship absolutely than a friendship, and that should be it shouldn't know, but oh my goodness, that we're almost getting to the shipping. Part of this we Are we Are we Are.
Speaker 3: One other lady that I wanted to point out from the show is starting in season four, there was a lady informant. We had previously had a deep Roat and mister X, and now this lady informant came in.
Speaker 4: By the name of Marita.
Speaker 3: Core core cor Corvit nikes, yes that's her name.
Speaker 1: It's Russian.
Speaker 3: But she was just like very ice cream stereotype and so and so. She was also in contrast with Scully being so much goofier and warmer and like, yeah, fans hated her, hated or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well this is I mean, going back to your point, is she's the only woman in the show. I feel like every other woman that comes on is going to be pitted against her totally, which is we've talked about that before. It shouldn't be the case that like there's one spot and then everyone everyone has an enemy of Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, Yeah, Like if your entire principal cast is white and then you necessarily only have room for black people to be villains, and it's just like that.
Speaker 2: Is so wrong. Why is this a thing?
Speaker 1: Yes, Supernatural and Buffy, what the heck were you doing? Anyway, Yes, anyway.
Speaker 2: One of the reasons I really wanted to talk about this is because since it's the thirtieth anniversary, there have been a lot of headlines about how the X Files shaped the Internet.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, and this is actually not a thing that I realized until you, until you brought it to my attention.
Speaker 1: Yes, and it's wild how much of an impact it had.
Speaker 2: And again, as I said, with fan fiction, this is a this is a space that has a lot of women, a lot of queer people, a lot of marginalized.
Speaker 1: People in it because.
Speaker 2: Perhaps they're not represented and the thing they're watching or the thing they're enjoying. So I wanted to go into a couple of those things and talk about our maybe experiences with that. But one of the big things is communities like fan communities online. And when the show came out in nineteen ninety three, that was when a lot of us in the United States were getting access to the Internet regularly for the first time.
Speaker 1: It might not have been good.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: That that was definitely during dialogs. Oh yeah, that that modem sound lives in my brain forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Oh my gosh, it's the sound of nightmares. Younger listeners. You don't know, you don't even know.
Speaker 2: But the interesting thing too, I was thinking about this is that kind of dovetails with how.
Speaker 1: I feel like the.
Speaker 2: Internet allowed a lot of these like here's this picture of bickfoot, here's this like oh shure. It kind of proliferated a lot of things that the X files was talking about.
Speaker 3: Oh absolutely, and I mean and right right, it really made possible because previous to that, like anyone who is who was talking about those kind of mysteries and real world lore and fringe theories like had do it by zine and in like mail and you know, and so you might you might write letters back and forth. But the Internet let people connect like that. It did, I mean not instantly, like you had to go make a cup of coffee while page loaded, but I would take a.
Speaker 1: Shower thirty minutes later. It might beloaded, who.
Speaker 2: Knows, but yeah, it really did. And that is part of what shaped our Internet as it is. So people who loved the x files called themselves x files p h I.
Speaker 3: L e yep, yep. That is a moniker that I self identified by.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yeah to hear about jeez.
Speaker 2: So here's the quote from CNN about this. Oh my gosh, Yes, NN wrote about it. The show's peak popularity in the mid to late nineties coincided with the prolifer use of the Internet, where fans self proclaimed X Files gathered to debate theories and behind the scenes gossip while posting fan fiction, fan art and more.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, this is from a twenty twenty three article. Yes, this is from like recently.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, I'm telling you, Lauren, there's no reason we're talking.
Speaker 4: About that's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and yeah, like like in addition to I really do think it it dovetailed with the Internet because the show lent itself to fandom so much, because it raised so many questions and did involve all of these mysteries and little pieces of lore and bits of conspiracy, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, like it was a little.
Speaker 3: Less niche and and sexier than other nerd dramas of the era, like like Star Trek. The next generation, like people who would not be caught dead watching Star Trek right, thought X Files was cool.
Speaker 2: Right, And I think part of that was maybe they'll get together.
Speaker 1: I mean, I mean, which.
Speaker 2: Leza's defand fiction. As you know, I love to talk about listeners.
Speaker 1: I am shocked.
Speaker 2: I never read X Files fan fiction. Really, Oh wow, you know what I started on? Oh god, wow, Wow you are younger than great. That's bonkers.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was probably like Sailor Moon and the X Files were two of my earliest Like, was.
Speaker 1: There some good X Files fans? No? But it filled me? It did?
Speaker 2: It?
Speaker 4: Did? I definitely.
Speaker 3: I don't think I ever wrote any particularly like I. I did write a class assignment like that featured Molder because you had to like describe someone in details, so and I was like, I can do that and it's not a real person.
Speaker 1: So I'm not gonna insult anybody. That's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, I wasn't into the writing.
Speaker 1: Part at that point.
Speaker 2: Okay, I should check it out because it's I'm sure still there.
Speaker 1: I'm positive it is and the community is still there.
Speaker 2: I wrote a lorther Rings fan fiction and I had a friend read it and she was like they kissed for four minutes.
Speaker 1: I was like, is that no normal? She's like no, And then I didn't post it.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sorry that you were discouraged, but I'm glad that it was for good reasons.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just love that she was like, no, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean but but like definitely, I yes, Like I it was clear to me and all of my friends that Moulder and Scully wanted.
Speaker 4: We're yeah, we're gonna get together. We're gonna get together.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was rooting for it for a very long time until it happened.
Speaker 1: Then I was mad, Oh, I can't wait to talk about it. Yes.
Speaker 2: So my friend who discouraged me from posting this fan fiction, she also was a huge She was the same one you've listened on the phone with.
Speaker 1: She was like, they're going to get together. She was giving me all.
Speaker 2: These clues and like see this look and all of these things.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, what, don't go.
Speaker 2: As I've said many times, the X Files was one of the first large fan fiction communities online, and it was so big that the Scotland Yard investigated because they thought that it was a cult and perhaps they should feed.
Speaker 3: Wow, yeah, I mean sort of a cult. They did not need to intervene.
Speaker 4: No one knows like.
Speaker 2: They looked intensely at each other, which brings us to shipping at last. Yes, you can see our episode for shipping we did recently for more about this, but shipping or Relationshipping is what it sounds like. It can look a million different ways.
Speaker 1: Anyway you can.
Speaker 2: Imagine, but it's essentially putting people or peoples into a relationship.
Speaker 1: Or not canonically.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, and even in real life people.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, that creeps me out.
Speaker 1: But yes, that does happen.
Speaker 2: And it involves often like fan works, fan fiction, music and art, fan videos. Sure like a community around like again, did you see this look or did you see this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And very right and especially with the internet, very immediate and very intense.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And they are also anti shippers. I I was gonna say, or no romos, but I actually think they're different. Okay, So anti shippers, I would say, are somebody who are like I don't want this ship to happen and I hate this ship.
Speaker 1: I would say, No, romos are more like I just.
Speaker 2: Don't want romance. Okay, all right, that's my experience again. You can listen to our shipping episode where we talked about how that went really wrong on Tumblr. But uh oh yeah, but the in either case, they can be just as passionate as shippers and like, I really don't want this to happen. And some of the earliest online no Romos felt like they lost when Molder and Scully their relationship became canon.
Speaker 1: They were like, oh this war, yeah, we have a.
Speaker 4: I have been defeated by their smooches. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. As it turns out, like I guess, I just wanted the unresolved sexual tension. Yes, that's what I does. That's what I enjoyed. I didn't actually want it to happen on the show.
Speaker 1: I liked.
Speaker 4: I liked the.
Speaker 2: Tension, right, So I talked about this in our shipping episode. Sometimes I think you can ship something, but by shipping it, you don't actually want it to ever happen, right, You kind of just.
Speaker 1: Like the idea of what it might be.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: And also there are plenty of examples of yes, when the ship becomes canon, it did not go how you it too?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Oh that too, that too?
Speaker 3: Absolutely like, which is one of the purposes of fan fiction is to you know, like create something that that that the way that you would do it. And once once you've done that, then you can be setting yourself up for failure in terms of like what actually comes next and what the creators choose to.
Speaker 1: Do, right exactly.
Speaker 2: And I would also say there are, and I would put myself in this category. They're multi shippers, like I could just ship like oh yeah, sure them, Yeah great, sounds nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, that's fun. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't have a particular attachment a lot of the time, right, in particular, especially in like a like a team up kind of thing, like like an Avengers Universe kind of thing like that, I'm like, yeah, sure, whatever, let's.
Speaker 1: See like in a relationship. Yeah cool, But I don't ever want it to happen. Usually, I'm just kind of like I'm interested.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, right, you could read it that way, you can read it this other way.
Speaker 4: Interesting. It's like a fun little science experiment, right, It's.
Speaker 1: Just like that's going to go. Yeah. But it is interesting with the show like X Files, where you do have like.
Speaker 2: In a very heteronormative sense, like this attractive woman attractive man, and it was like.
Speaker 4: Are they are they?
Speaker 3: Are they?
Speaker 1: When? When what happened? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And so right.
Speaker 3: I had literally no idea that the word shipping was invented with the X Files fandom.
Speaker 1: Yes it was.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that either, Like we have been doing it since we've been creating entertainment, But the term shipping Relationshipping was first used in nineteen ninety three in X Files fandom.
Speaker 1: And the fun part of this is it's all online.
Speaker 2: You can see all these old posts. They've been archived.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, that makes me suspect that probably some of my very embarrassing like thirteen year old like like like fan theories about stuff are out there somewhere.
Speaker 1: The truth posts are out there.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh they're great, like heck it is, I recommend looking it up. But yeah, interestingly to me. Because shipping has gone mainstream now people use it all the time, But at this point it was viewed as something strange. People did like what are you doing? You don't you don't think this show was perfect. You're trying to do your own thing. Oh you're not a real fans And there would be email attacks, they would get harassed, like it was very so some of the posts you'll see were like, hey, I'm doing my shipping thing, but I'm not bothering you, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, like like like you can feel however you want to about it.
Speaker 4: This is just how I feel.
Speaker 1: Exactly, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And even some of them said like I don't I don't even want it to become a romance show that's like like the last thing I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just am kind of exploring this sure aspect of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm just saying that they want a bone because you just want.
Speaker 1: To smush their faces.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're both attractive faces that it would look nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kind of exactly. I did read. I don't know if this is true.
Speaker 2: I haven't really looked into it, but I did read that ust resolve sexual tension, as you said, was also from X files. I also heard ms R Molder Scully romance.
Speaker 1: Was the whole term.
Speaker 4: Okay, I don't remember that one, but sure.
Speaker 2: And then I want to read this quote again from CNN. But there's no denying how much the online discourse revolved around the Molder and Scully pairing, whether it involved shippers and no Romo's good naturally good nature really, or in all seriousness flaming each other in online forums or Molder slash Scully fan fiction. Are fan videos set to schmaltzy love song Oh yeah, yes, oh yeah, oh dear fan videos man fan video.
Speaker 1: Oh. I would watch them when I was younger.
Speaker 2: I like the proof I needed, but I also forgot about flaming.
Speaker 1: Yep. Ye oh yes, all right, well, well we're going to get into the impact.
Speaker 2: But again, just so you know, if you're hearing anything around us, you are listening to stuff I've never told you.
Speaker 1: With Lauren Vogelbaum guest host.
Speaker 2: Thank You so Much, live at the iHeart Podcast Studio powered by Bows at the House of Music at iHeartRadio Music Festival. It's fun to be talking about the X Files with all of this going on outside. I wish we could showcase what's happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty wild. There's just people walking by and kind of kind of kind of waving or just sort of staring, being a little bit confused that Yeah, I'm just talking about my fanfic feels about Moldern Scully. It feels right, yeah, sure, why yeah we are.
Speaker 1: We are the in the nineties, the weirdos that are quarantined from people going to do other things. Oh heck, thank you, Wed.
Speaker 2: We did want to talk about the impact that this show had and Scully had.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, right, because like all right, like like when X Files really in general just paved the way for other genre fiction in television, like it did dovetail with the launch of the Sci Fi Channel in nineteen ninety two. But like without X Files, I don't think we would have had Lost or Buffy or certainly Fringe or Supernatural or like Rick and Morty or you know.
Speaker 1: On and on.
Speaker 3: It kind of created its own genre of what we were talking about earlier, of like long running TV series that have main recurring characters and like an overall plot arc ish, but are also allowed to play from episode to episode within the broader realm of what genre fiction is or what it can be. And yeah, like like even in the same episode, sometimes bouncing from horror to mystery to drama to comedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you haven't watched this listeners like some of the episode, they'll stay with you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, some of them are very hecking upsetting. I did not watch Home Ever again, Yes, that.
Speaker 1: One's well, yeah, we talked about that one. Did the Bridget episode?
Speaker 3: Right? I think I might have watched it like one other time. I was like maybe maybe, Nope, still very upsetting. Nope, still don't like that.
Speaker 4: Okay cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that was one of those episodes that was like, Eh, there's no supernatural part to this one.
Speaker 1: Really just people, just people. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that episode got banned from ever being aired again.
Speaker 1: Yep, sure did. Sure, but yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: Like some of the some of the images and some of the I still think of the There was one episode where Scully got a tattoo and started tripping out and like there was all of this bad stuff happening.
Speaker 1: And I still think about that one.
Speaker 2: I'm like, lol, yeah ah, and it has had. I was reading a list of like all of the instances The X Files has appeared in, like songs or other media, and it's just it's a huge list. Had this really big impact, and Scully did too. She people loved her, like, she was really critically acclaimed, and she's stuck around. She has a Barbie, which I love. She's always on these list of iconic heroines that have often inspired other iconic heroines in media, and she the legacy of her a lot of people write is she encouraged a whole generation of young women, of young girls to think about a career in stem, whether they pursued it or not, like yeah, just to think like, oh, oh yeah I want to do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah I can do that.
Speaker 3: She's doing that so well, she's so professional and good at this.
Speaker 4: Job, and maybe yeah maybe I could. Yeah, why not.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, and let us talk about that a minute. So we did do the episode with Bridget where she really broke this down really well, So check that out. But just just in case, since we're doing kind of a like round up of all X files news place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally one place.
Speaker 2: So the Scully effect is essentially something that has been studied by the Gina Davis.
Speaker 1: Institute, which I love.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, Yes.
Speaker 2: Two thousand women they surveyed, they found, quote, among the women who are familiar with the character, fifty percent say Scully increased their interest in STEM, and forty three percent say that they considered working in STEM because of her. Wow tint to one percent that knew of her said she was a good role model and it was great reading the stories people wrote, and they would talk about like just sitting around and watching the show with friends and being like inspired, like okay, love, maybe I want to go do that.
Speaker 1: Is so cool.
Speaker 4: It kind of had the opposite effect for me. I was like, I definitely.
Speaker 3: Couldn't do an autopsy. I could never do an autopsy in my life. I'm not going to go into that one. But appreciate still appreciate the role model of course.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I mean, that's also fair.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you got to recognize that I could do it, but it's not for me. Yeah, yes, and I do love When Jillian Anderson was asked about this, she said, we got a lot of letters all the time, and I was told quite frequently by girls who were going into the medical world or the science world, or the FBI world or other worlds that I reigned that they were pursuing those pursuits because of the character of Scully.
Speaker 1: And I said, Yeah, that's so sweet, isn't it. That's really cool. I love it so much.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, and that's the that's the importance of representation. Representation isn't everything, but it is important. Like if you're watching something as a kid at three am, your huddles in front of the TV and you're like, oh, I want to be like her. Oh I could do it, Yeah, she can do it. Like that's important.
Speaker 3: It is absolutely absoluecondently, more of that, more of that place.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, but this brings us to our final note. And I wanted to put this in here because I love it, but also because Samantha did threaten me if I don't talk about the book. We do mention Scully's pants suits in the Okay, okay, yes, so one thing people love about this character are her pant suits. Oh yeah, are tumblers just kind that's amazing.
Speaker 4: I'm so proud of the Internet for that. That's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, So okay, So if you're if you're unfamiliar with the show, she was always wearing or most of the time, like her professional business attire was these big suits, like these big puffy suit jackets and long trench coats and tapered pants and and that evolved over time as style evolved. But yeah, certainly in the beginning in nineteen ninety three, it was that very boxy concept of the early nineties. And then as third wave feminism really hit pop culture and we started getting you know, the the Buffy Summers and the share Horwitzes and the Spice girls of the world, then you know, like like outfits started changing, and business attire for women started becoming hyper feminine in some ways, and like certainly more sleek but less based on men's wear and less.
Speaker 1: Giant shoulder pads.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, right, And you can see her the profile we did on Danas Scully for more about that, because I do love talking about her pants. Suits, but they are very popularly. A lot of people call it competence core yea. And you can trace kind of what you were talking about, how her costuming changed, and there is an interesting narrative.
Speaker 1: Of like.
Speaker 2: Fitting into a male space by wearing more male clothes.
Speaker 1: And then more traditionally male clothes and.
Speaker 2: Then moving away from that and what does that mean? But it is fascinating. I'm a big let's talk about costuming person.
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And and and as a character too, you know, like like she's going through all of these changes and she's getting a lot more.
Speaker 4: She kind of rediscovers herself throughout the course of the show.
Speaker 3: And and what she wants that to be and what that can be.
Speaker 2: Right, I have the most epic shoulder pad.
Speaker 1: It's a dress suit. It's not a pants suit. Okay, I think it's my mom's, but it might be one of her sisters. Okay, but it's it's magenta, and it has.
Speaker 2: Roses like embroidered, and it is the most like feminine business power dress suit.
Speaker 1: Wow, you can imagine. And I still have it because you do love it.
Speaker 3: You should never let that go. That's that sounds beautiful and very intense at the.
Speaker 1: Same time word it adds like shower. Yeah, okay, for sure.
Speaker 3: So I graduated high school in the year two thousand and while this show was still very much a thing, and for sure, the like interview suit that I went out and bought was a double breasted pinstripe suit.
Speaker 1: Yes, with it's a Scully suit.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: That's just what coplay. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I've I've never I've never actually done a Skully like a full Scully cosplay, but the suit's right there.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know, and we talked about, well, I said I might cosplay as Scully, and then I just did it. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was so sad when I heard that.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm going to show up to this and then I was like, but my backpack is minutes from breaking, which it really is.
Speaker 3: But yeah maybe maybe someday. Yeah, and we can always just casual cosplay some Skully like men. We could just show up to the next like work meeting or whatever. It is, like it both in our.
Speaker 1: See if anyone realizes what it is. I love that game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're good at that game.
Speaker 1: I am good at that game. It's a strange sense of accomplishment when no one realizes it. Sure, then it's also like appreciation when someone does. It's a strange totally am well.
Speaker 2: Any closing thoughts on The Wildford.
Speaker 4: You know, uh, it gave us the gift of Jillian Anderson.
Speaker 3: She did write and direct an episode in one of the later seasons, I want to say season.
Speaker 1: Eight ish maybe, And.
Speaker 3: You know, like, I'm so glad that she's been able to have a lovely career, and because I enjoy watching her. It's so fun whenever she's in anything. Yeah, and her British accent is so on point. I think you guys talked about that too, and yeah, yeah, I like, what a what a weird thirty years ago? That's fine, that's great, that's great, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of things Jurassic Park as well. Oh wow, heck, which I also got troubled for watching.
Speaker 1: This was a risky year for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of groundings happened, I heard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think it's.
Speaker 2: It's fascinating to look back at the impact it's had, especially now, and we didn't know what the Internet was going to be. We know it was going to become this thing, and the creators didn't know. We didn't know The X Files was going to be such a big part of that, and how much it did impact fan communities who are largely women. And then like the Scully the Scully effect.
Speaker 1: Keully effect. That's amazing, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: That is that is the coolest thing about this weird genre television show from the nineteen nineties.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear from listeners if you haven't watched it.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, go and watch it and let us know what you think.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, let us let us know maybe maybe maybe do it in two parts, like, let us know what you think it's going to be based on this episode. If you've got all the way through this episode having no I have never watched it, yes, and then the after the after.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my gosh. If anyone wants to just like constantly update, it's like, what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry, I've just given you homework. But yeah, yeah, that that would be fabulous.
Speaker 1: It's great homework though very fun. It is good home well.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you so much, Lauren for guesting on this. This was so fun and what thank you so much for having me. Oh, of course in this wild environment. We're gonna try to get some pictures. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's pretty weird, yeah but lovely. Thanks so much to iHeart and de Vos for having us here.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 2: If you want to let us know about your X files watching, yes you can. You can email us at Stephanie mom Stuff at iHeartMedia dot com. You can find us on Twitter at mom Stuff podcast, or on Instagram and TikTok at stuff When Never Told You.
Speaker 1: We have a tea public.
Speaker 2: Store, and we do have a book, ohware, we talk about Dana Scully. You can get it at stuff you should read books dot com. Thanks as always to our super producer Christina, our executive pruser Maya, and our contributor Joey.
Speaker 1: And special thanks.
Speaker 2: To Paul who is here helping us out friend of the show at this event, and thanks to you for listening. Stuff I Never Told you'spection ByHeart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, you can check out the heart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or where you listen to your favorite shows.