Speaker 1: As a league fifteen to ten touchdown Chargers.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 2: Welcome into a week four edition of Chargers Weekly.
Speaker 4: We're powered by Microsoft Surface as always, joined by Matt Muney Smith. The first podcast of the twenty twenty three season. After a win, Chargers get it done in Minnesota, a game they had to have twenty eight, twenty four. Buddy, I have like twenty things written down about that game and pushing.
Speaker 3: Them forward to the Raiders.
Speaker 4: So much to get into. I want to start with justin forty of forty seven, four hundred and five yards, three touchdowns through his one hundredth touchdown pass in the NFL. Save for maybe a couple of throws and maybe some decisions, I thought it was the best game he played as a Charger, given the circumstances, what was necessary, what was required to get a win, to avoid going to zero and three.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was his best game.
Speaker 5: I don't you know, he's had really obviously, he's had incredible games, but this one, like you said, it's, you know, his first four hundred yard passing game. He's blitzed on eighty percent of his dropbacks. It's Brian Flores. We know what that looked like the last time he faced the Dolphins with Flores, and.
Speaker 3: This is so much different. He had much different, much different.
Speaker 5: You know, you go through when you when I was watching it back and I watched every one of his dropbacks. Flores has got seven minimum sometimes eight guys on the line of scrimmage. You know, you don't know which ones are dropping out. So credit the offensive line, Credit Isaiah Spiller, Joshua Kelly for picking up those blitzes. And he's not just bringing five on so many of those drops, he's bringing six on a handful, he's bringing seven. And Herbert and Justin was just calm. That's That's the one thing that I really took away is those first two weeks when he experienced pressure, it seemed like he was just Okay, get rid of the ball, let's get to the next play. It's not gonna happen here. Pressure came. We didn't pick it up. I got to in this game. He just held the ball and he's like, I'll figure it out. I'll find a lane. And he moved in the pocket, you know, very the Tom Brady esque. Five feet this way, three feet this way. There's my little bit of space. Now I can deliver, got rid of the ball quickly, had a hot you know, he was just spot on his hot reads and you know he was calling out the protections. He knows where to go with the hot read. Who's going to be the guy that's wide open and ready for a pass in under two seconds. And then there were just some ridiculous throws in there as well. It's not you know, it's forty seven attempts for forty completions in four hundred five yards. But there's some big old chunk plays in there, you know. And the left sideline throw to Joshua Palmer was incredible. The first touchdown to Donald parum that little side arm that he I mean, and that thing is just a bang bang play. It's ball is snapped, pressure is in his face and he just almost underhands that thing to Parum for that first touchdown. The fourth down to Parum Man talk about hands. First of all, param snatched that first touchdown down by his knees. The guy six foot nine second touchdown is a laser at his face that probably would have got stuck in his face mask if he didn't catch the thing. He ends up snatching that. But there so those the one throw and DJ said it in the moment, and I didn't quite recognize it until I went back and watched it. And Daniel's just so good at this stuff. You know, it's seeing things, you know in the moment they happen. And he said, he's like, man, that is that is one of the great that's going in the archives. Is one of the great justin Herbert throws. And when you go back and watch it, it's a third. It's a third and seventeen I think. And this is when they're down twenty four to twenty one and it's a third in seventeen in the fourth quarter and he is rolling to his left under pressure, and man, he throws that thing on a rope. It is a rope to the right from outside the numbers left to outside the hash right to Keenan Allen. You know, I don't know what the total yardage was on the play. I don't, I don't. I don't have the play by play in front of me, but air yards. That's probably a thirty five yard throw and it got there and what felt like a quarter second really quick.
Speaker 2: How many quarterbacks do you think in the NFL can make that throw?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen one hand.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I though probably those probably those two. Yeah, I think there's three guys in the NFL that can make that throw.
Speaker 3: And it's and.
Speaker 5: It's those two and and Justin and I think it's also in terms of Alan, you know, his accuracy gets a little wobbly there. This thing is between the numbers, you know, rolling to your left, throwing to your right, under pressure, thirty five air yards and it gets there like that, like it's it was. I almost want to just pull it up. And I know people can't see, and I'm not doing you guys any favors, but I just want to make sure I got it right.
Speaker 4: It's all over. It's all over Twitter, guys. Just is it justin Herbert Third and seventeen.
Speaker 2: You'll find it. You'll find it.
Speaker 4: He's going, he's rolling left, He's thrown across his body to Keenan, I think in the middle of the field.
Speaker 2: And I think it was a first down. I thought he picked up the first Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: No, so here it is.
Speaker 5: It's third and seventeen. I'm looking at it now, and they snap the ball at the exactly at the fifty just before the fifties. So from the Charger forty nine left, Hash snaps the ball. He's rolling to his left. He's outside the numbers, so he is outside the numbers left side, behind the forty. He lets this thing go at the thirty nine and Keenan is he's open. He's found the soft spot. But there's two defenders that are responsible for him, and they are closing in on that completion and he catches it at the thirty at the I'll call it the thirty one yard line, so you're talking about twenty nine yards of distance, actually thirty I'll go thirty yards of distance, and then you go outside of the numbers to the right. Hash that's another ten yards, maybe seven to ten yards, talking about thirty seven to forty air yards and it gets there in the blink of an eye.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, crazy, crazy, and the guy on the receiving end of it money. First of all, Justin Herbert Chargers fans, I think knew early and often when Brian Flores.
Speaker 2: Was blitzing him the way he was, and Justin was.
Speaker 4: Just he was on a heater in the middle of the game for I don't know how many straight completions he had. You may know off the top of your head, I don't remember, but you know, to go forty to forty seven.
Speaker 2: Obviously he had a stretch where he was.
Speaker 3: Just consistraining them together.
Speaker 2: Since Man, it was crazy.
Speaker 4: I think Chargers fans realized early in that game Justin was gonna put the team on his shoulders and try to get that win by any means.
Speaker 2: Necessarily, you're only going to be in a game with him.
Speaker 4: But the guy on the receiving end Money twenty thirteen, the longest tenured Charger. We talked about it all training camp, how he was having the best training camp I think I've seen him have.
Speaker 3: I mean, he was.
Speaker 4: He was incredible in the summer, put together the best performance we've seen from a Chargers receiver. Eighteen catches, two hundred and fifteen yards and a forty nine yard touchdown pass to boot.
Speaker 2: Keenan.
Speaker 4: Allen Man, I don't know what you can say. He outplayed Justin Jefferson on that football field. We remember the toss that Justin Jefferson gave him on the sideline a couple of years ago. Keenan returned the favor and then some those two. Man, that was the best game Keenan has ever played best game, Justin's ever played best game, Keenan's ever played.
Speaker 5: I'm sure in in Minnesota they're, you know, asking a lot of the same questions we were asking after week one, you know, with Tyreek Hill, like you can't, you can't do better than that, you can't. And that was just Brian Flores approach. And it's very you know, what worked before just didn't work again, and he refused to believe that it wasn't going to work, and he just kept blitzing relentlessly, and there were single coverage on Keenan and we know he's you know, he's in the conversation. It's the best route runner in the league. And he just he made a fool of Byron Murphy. And and I mean the idea that the fact that he decided to get lippy with him after that offensive pass interference. I think Keenan already piled up like fourteen catches for one hundred and seventy yards.
Speaker 3: What you taught?
Speaker 5: What are you barking about? It's the and just Flores just kept with it. He's like, yeah, go on back out there, give it, give it another go. And Keenan just ate him alive. And you know, one thing I do want to say about the touchdown pass, and we've talked about I think we've talked about this on one of the you know, on the previous two following the the Tennessee or of the Miami game. Just so impressive about Kellen Moore when you go back and watch it, and we kind of felt it in the moment too. But you think about all those blitzes and all those screens, the tunnel screens, the quick throws into the flat, you know, Josh Palmer going into that touchdown pass, the double pass to Mike Williams. Keenan had caught a couple of those, two to three, he might have had three. You may have even had four of those, just quick screens, tunnel screens, blockers in front. Let's go get five six yards. You're blitzing all good. We got hat on hat. Keenan can make it hat. You know, did it with Josh Palmer, got one with Mike Williams, you know, had it with Joshua Kelly, had it with Gerald Everett. And then all of a sudden he's like, okay, okay, I think I got you. Here comes another one. What happens. Safety's like, crap, here's another screen. I got to go up and support and tackle, and there goes Mike Williams and you just knew that Kellen Moore was setting them up for it the whole game, and he took is shot. Keenan delivered, and that's There's a lot that goes into that. You know, one is is Herbert making all those completions. You know, the receivers getting all that yak on those screens and fighting for yards, the receivers and the tight ends on the outside blocking to allow those plays to be successful. That are completions behind the line of scrimmage. And then obviously Keenan and Mike connecting. Keenan with a perfect pass to Mike to get the touchdown. But man, it was a it was a thing of beauty, and it was just an entire team effort to put that thing together and it was it was pretty cool to see it work out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Keenan having an all Pro season through the first three weeks. We'll get into the Mike Williams injury obviously crushing for the offense, and we'll talk about the two guys who were going to have to replace that production, but you flip it to the defense money and I thought ALOHI Gilman set the tone right from the beginning forcing the turnover got completely robbed on the other turnover that did they culture progress? It's almost like ridiculous, but I thought, uh low, I mean Hockinson's forward progress was stopped more than Madison's in that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like that. That's what was crazy about it. It's like I thought they were gonna I thought that that they were going to because that's and that's what it's why it was very weird. And and you know, credit our producer Justin who brought this up. He showed me a little clip. I didn't I was not aware of this. I didn't think you could challenge forward progress. And that's what Kevin O'Connell was complaining about because when Hockinson, when Aloe ripped that ball out of Hockinson's hands, you know, O'Connor wanted to throw the challenge flag, claiming his forward progress was stopped. So referee says, no, you can't challenge that so fast forward yeah, ripped out of the hands of Alexander and and they're like, uh yeah, we're gonna challenge it. And I've said you can't challenge that, but they let them. And apparently there's some weird rule where there are there is there are certain cases of forward progress you can challenge, and there are those that you cannot. I don't know exactly what the nuances are of it. I should probably brush up on it before the Raider game to make sure I've got it all squared away. But I'm with you, like it was, this is beyond the point. The point is that Aloe played a very physical game. Ye a great game on that final drive. Obviously we're gonna focus on Niemen and Kenneth Murray and the play they made to get the win. But you know, earlier in that final drive you had a great pass breakup of Hockinson by a Lowie, just again with a He's just such a physical player, you know, And I think that's when you combine he and Kenneth Murray back there and derwin, you you know your head's on a swivel. You know you're gonna get thumped and there's gonna be there's gonna be some serious contact and some serious violence in the tackles if if you're not aware of where it's coming from between those three guys, and yeah, I'm with you. It was an impressive performance by by a Lowe, a very physical, very tone setting performance that he and Kenneth Murray were able to put out there that day.
Speaker 4: But before we get into the other two levels of the defense, just staying in the secondary, obviously, Justin Jefferson did get loose one hundred and fifty yards and j C Jackson a healthy scratch.
Speaker 2: What did you make of that?
Speaker 4: I think that was a surprise that everybody that JC was just a healthy scratch straight up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Look, it's not great. It's it's not great. It's eighty two million dollars. There's nothing you can do about it this season or next season. It's I mean you could. It's just a monster hit to take. It's hard to know how much of it is injury, how much of it you know. Look, it's it's very hard to project success on Patriots players when they leave New England, you know, especially secondary players. I mean, j C had an exceptional career, you know with the Patriots. Just I totally get hes, you know, I'm sure a ton of teams wanted them, but it just hasn't worked out. And to the detriment of what Brandon Staley wants to do on defense. He desperately wants that pressman corner to take one half of the field so we can play quarters on the other half, and that's what he wants to do, and JC has just not been up to it. The thing I do like about it is, okay, if it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: We spent the money. It stinks.
Speaker 5: You don't like look in your owner in the eye and say hey, sorry about that eighty two million bucks, and you just try to keep making it happen, hoping that sooner or later it is. But after watching what happened to him against Miami, hearing you know Michael Davis's issues with not being able to find a rhythm, Like, I don't know what we're doing. It's hard for me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I credit the coaching staff and Tom and his for saying, okay, you know what, just just make him a healthy scratch and let's go with the guys we think are going to win the game. And you know, I appreciate that takes That's that's a very brave, courageous move to make on a football team. When you ask somebody to scratch to check that big and and acknowledging that it's not working out, but let's go get some wins and we'll move forward and try to make it work with our younger guys that are on these rookie contracts, and that's how it balances out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's a message to the team too, that we don't care how much money you make, we don't care where you were drafted.
Speaker 2: The best players are going to play.
Speaker 4: And that was the best group in Brandon Staley's eyes last Sunday. We'll see if that changes in any way this Sunday. You talk about Eric Kendrick's not being in that game, the way Nick Neman played, the way Kenneth Murray has played the last couple of weeks. Man, Kenneth has really flipped the switch in a positive way. And then I'd be remiss if if I don't mention Toully to it below too again.
Speaker 2: Man nine pressures. He was incredible. Man, he's been.
Speaker 4: I think you know, you talk about Jalen Carter and all these other guys in the first round for defensive Rookie of the Year and early candidates Tooley's up there with all of them.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent.
Speaker 5: He's so like Pro foot All Focus does this thing where they they'll and I love it. It's such an awesome tool. Like I cannot give them enough credit for what they've put together over there. It's like it's just awesome. Everybody subscribed. You know, they don't pay me, they don't give me anything. I'm just telling you it's awesome. But they do sacks and then they do NFL sacks. So Tooley's got two NFL sacks on his ledger. Pro Football Focus has him with five, as do I, And the idea behind that is it's not necessarily the hockey assist, but it's sort of like, Okay, this sack happened. Why did it happen? Like Joey sack in that game, and that's why, you know, it's funny to see that video of him hugging Tooley and he's all into it. It's all Touley, I mean, it is all Tooley, and they ran just it was such a great I think he was on Ingram, Joey was on O'Neill the right tackle, and they were going to run a stunt. But Tuley just I want to say that might have been the one where he had a spin. I think he bull rushed him, spun off of him, and then just shoved him with his left hand out of the picture, like he flies out of the frame. He's on Cousins, who has to climb the pocket into the arms of Joey for the sack. That was just one like man, he's just so strong. There's another one where he's on the outside rushing up against O'Neill. She puts him on skates. I mean this heils a good he is a good tackle, not great tackle. He's a good tackle, though. She puts him on skates, picks him up, runs them right into the hands of Cousins, who you know, gets caught off guard and has to flush the pocket. I think that was the Morgan Fox sack. Trully's great uh and he's he look, it's crazy to say he's best pass rusher on the Chargers right now, like and Joey's having a great year, no doubt about it. And it's hard to say that. And I don't know if anyone would agree with me, but I think down in, down, out what he's done against the run. He's had some huge run stops, had a couple in Tennessee. That helped keep Derreck Henry to seventy yards and under four per carry. Saw a couple more in this game. Like he's playing the best out of any edge player right now. And plus he's so versatile, you know, like there were a handful of snaps where you're seeing him, you know, Bosa outside two Lee in between Joey and Morgan Fox. Then you're seeing him whip to the outside. Now Joey's inside and Tuley's outside, or he's stacking with Khalil Mack and it's yeah, it's it's gonna be fun, man, because he is just scratching the surface. It's a lot of strength. Like I said, there was one spin move in there. But I know, being able to work with with Joey and Khalil and just learn and understand the nuances of pass rushing all that that he's gonna get. My goodness. The second thing you mentioned Kenneth, I'll just say this real quick. It's gonna be interesting because you know, when they first drafted Kenneth, they moved him. You know, they're playing him a middle linebacker and we were like, eh, I don't know if that's really you know, it wasn't working. It's like, maybe just you know, put him outside, give him an assignment. You're pass rushing, you're attacking here. This is the player response before me. That'll be better for Kenneth. And now he's playing the middle, he's playing better, you know, he's just these last two games have been the two best games of his career. So it'll be interesting when Eric Hendricks get healthy because he can't play outside, he's got to play middle. So I don't I'm anxious to see what they do because it's just a there's a difference there, you know, there's a difference in setting a tone in violence that that occurs when Kenneth is in that position. So I'm anxious to see, you know, what they decide.
Speaker 3: To do.
Speaker 5: When when Kendricks gets healthy. But you know, Nick Deamon's played great as well. He's just played really really he's such a solid player, solid player, you know, and he's the one that obviously called out the He knew it was coming, he studied it on tap, he knew it was coming. He alerted JT. Woods, gave him a little little wave, broke up the pass, and there's the end of the game. You know, those three guys.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kenneth with the game saving interception again back to back, incredible weeks for him wearing the green dot too, and he said, hey, I've been wearing the green dot at practice and I'm comfortable with it.
Speaker 2: And he sure has shown that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before we push it forward to the Raiders and take a quick break, Money got to ask you about the fourth down. It has been a hot topic of conversation. There's old school football heads on TV that couldn't believe it. The analytics community said absolutely, that was the right decision fourth and one game on the line up for what did you think in What were you and DJ thinking in the moment?
Speaker 3: So we disagreed. I put DJ on the spot.
Speaker 5: I was like, hey, you know, I said before they even did it, I said, hey, there's Herbert, see him holding up the four.
Speaker 3: He wants it.
Speaker 5: He's like, oh, man, no way, He's like that, You're you're up four. You know they've got to score a touchdown. Just get one of those big JK. Scott boots and flip the field and force them to go you know, eighty yards or something. And I said, I like it, it's two feet. It's not even a full yard. You know, I think if it's outside of one, if it's fourth and one plus, I don't think they go for it. But it was inside, you know, one yard. It was that the ball was, you know, on the opposite if I'm looking at it and they're moving left to right, the ball was on the right of the twenty four yard hash mark, you know, the twenty four yard line hash mark. They had to gain the twenty five exactly. It was two thirds of a yard. It's two feet. And I said, I've watched a thirty six yard touchdown pass on fourth and sixth. I watched a fifty three yard touchdown pass because JT took a terrible angle on Justin Jefferson. I've watched seven explosive plays already out here. It's a team that's given up the most explosives in the NFL. I'm not interested in giving them eighty yards of grass. I want to get the two feet. So I was all for it. Yeah, I was not happy with the plague. That's that's you know, and that was my issue. And I think, you know, and that's that's what the analytics committee is. That's what the analytics crew is saying, Like love the call, and that's what I said in the moment. I was like, man, I love the call, I just hate the play. And Kellen and Brandon are taking a lot of incoming for that. But and they'll never say it, and I don't even know it. I'm just assuming that's a Justin decision. You know, for whatever reason, what he saw up front he did not like for a quarterback sneak. It just he didn't, you know, he just didn't.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe he didn't think they would get it based on what their alignment was. But that's up to Justin. He's got three you know, he's got three plays.
Speaker 3: He can run.
Speaker 5: He can run the sneak. He can hand to Josh Kelly on the full back, or he can pitch to Darius. A week ago against Tennessee, he pitched the Darius. They got twelve yards out of it on a fourth and two. You know, this week he decides to hand to Josh Kelly. Now instead of being two feet, it's four yards that you got to pick up because he handed it to him at the twenty one yard line. If that's Lorenzo O'Neil, fine, I still don't like it, but you have to sneak that you're twenty five of twenty seven on third or fourth and one or less than one. I would rather have the six foot six, two hundred and fifty pound guy two feet away with the two hundred and five pound running back pushing behind him, than the two hundred and five pound second string running back playing full back running a full back dive. I know it was successful earlier in the year. I think it was against Miami that they ran it that he ended up getting like ten yards off of it, Josh did.
Speaker 3: But this is the game. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: To me, it's like, you could this play will win the game. They're out of timeouts. You get two feet, the game is over. You are not zero and three. Your your season is still alive. So that's just kind of where I I came out on it.
Speaker 4: There's still ay, there's still one and two. It worked out in the end, Kenneth Murray.
Speaker 5: But I think moving forward, Chris, like, that's it is. I know, I'm relentless with it. I say it every week to me. They they've got to figure it out. Like I don't know what's going on in practice or what's they need that play. The play is unstoppable, you know, and and I think it's a you know, Petros brought this up on the show yesterday and it was a great point.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I mentioned Jalen Hurts and how effective he is. I was like, and he's thirty pounds lighter than than Herbert, you know, and and he and he said, he's a running back. And he's like, Matt, you're talking about someone who's a running back, like Jalen Hurts was a dual threat quarterback who was probably more comfortable running than throwing. He's like, so he knows, like he's that's a situation that he's comfortable in. You know, there is a mentality to it. And then you know, my pushback to that was, well, the greatest player in the history of football was the best at it in Tom Brady. Nobody better he So if who was six foot six, who is not as sturdy as Trustin Robert, not a running back, there was no there's there's been nobody that's been better at it than Tom Brady.
Speaker 3: So like, I would.
Speaker 5: Assume that the justice of the stature that he can reach out to Tom and just say, hey, man, you're a tall drink of water. I know, it's probably not fun getting bent backwards when you're that tall and you're trying to get low. It's not easy. But what, like, what can you pass along to me? Like, what is it that I need to know so I am comfortable in those situations. I'm not making it out like it's easy. You talk to people and they tell you, man, it's nasty in there. It is rough. It is it is not clean sled, and it's so I get it. All I'm saying is I'd like to see them figure it out in the bye week, say hey, we need this, like this is something that we've got to have, because that was a got to have it, that was a got to have play, and they did not run the They did not run the play with the highest percentage of possible success, and that needs to be addressed. You know, when you're talking about ninety three percent for justin on third or fourth and one or less than one ninety three percent, we gotta run that play. So to me, that's something that'll be work done. You know, I'm assuming this week and also in the bye week.
Speaker 2: It's simple for me.
Speaker 4: The ball should not be out of ten's hands in those situations, not at all.
Speaker 2: He's either throwing the football. He's forty or forty seven in the game.
Speaker 4: All Right, I realized, if if you have a couple of feet to go, probably not the best idea to throw the football. But the quarterback sneak has got to be in play. I don't take the ball out of Ten's hands. I remember Week eighteen, two years ago, money, I think it was a third quarter. They went for it on fourth and one. Austin Eckler up the middle, did not get it. Vegas kick the field goal. And you know those are those are I think plays that you have to learn from and say, you know what, we need a better solution. We have a top five quarterback in the NFL. Uh ten should not be handled the ball off to anybody on fourth and whatever.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 5: So and that's and you know what Chris like for me? What I then do if I'm Kellen Moore, is you call the sneak. It's not a three way play, it's I formation, and it's hey, you want to go for it. Here's the play. You do not audible out of it, you do not check out of it. This is the play. This is what we're doing. Tell the offensive line it's on you guys. You could you will determine whether or not we win this game. You can go win the game right now for us, it is in your hands. Go get it. If you're not comfortable and you don't think you guys are getting the push that you need against this front, tell me right now, and I'm up on it away. But that's what we're doing. I think that's just something that has to be ingrained into this team. And it's an identity thing, you know, I think it. You know, when I talked to Lorenzo and I you know, tonight they'll they'll do the thing on Balley's Sports West. You know, he brought it out. He's like, look, I was six for six. He's like, I know what my stats are. He goes, because that's you know, that's what that play is. That play is all about want. It is all about commitment, it is. And you know, he's like, that's just that's what that play is. That is not you're out scheming them. It's not oh we're gonna we're gonna move, Oh we're gonna hike it and we're gonna dive into this hole. He's like, no, he goes, that is a play where you know, this ain't gonna be fun, but I'm gonna go get it. And you know, you just keep your legs moving and you go get it and I'll figure it out, you know, like you said, Hey, it worked out. It worked out, and I to answer your question, I was fine with it. I actually liked it. I loved the call. I was like, perfect, go win it. And that's I know I'm talking a lot about it here, but because I think a lot of people are still talking about this play. Like to me in his first season, it's what we loved about Brandon Staley.
Speaker 3: It's like, this is great. Be aggressive.
Speaker 5: You've got Justin Herbert, you got Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Austin Eckler. That's better than what they probably have on the other side of the football.
Speaker 3: So go take it.
Speaker 5: You've got the advantage. And that's one of the things he said when you know, when it was working, when he was nine for nine on fourth down and everybody's selling celebrating Brandon Staley as this you know, new age thinker as a head coach. We love this guy, and and that did him no favors because all the traditional folks were like, no, we don't love this guy. This isn't right. We don't like what he's doing. It's different, and we're not comfortable with different, and change isn't good. And it's going to get him. It's gonna bite him eventually. And they were rooting for him to fail. But to me, that's his identity. It's something that he believes in. He said it in the first eight games of that season, and I wish he hadn't got away from it because of all the incoming he took. You know, I hope he presses forward because he went Look, he went forward on fourth down instead of kicking the field goal to Donald Parum and got a touchdown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, got an extra four points out of it.
Speaker 2: But the week before, so if you're all right, but the week.
Speaker 4: Before punting it on fourth down in your own hated it, you right, So it's it's like.
Speaker 5: Hated it from the Tennessee forty one. It's like, don't be punting that. It's fourth and two. You got justin Herbert, go get it. Yeah, one hundred percent. And that's the other thing too, Chris. Before we move on from this game, the one play I did not lie, though I did not like him not accepting the holding call on third and six would have made it third and sixteen, would have put them all the way back at the forty six yard line. Instead, they're at the thirty six yard line, which Greg Joseph's got a sixty one yarder on his He could have kicked the field goal, but they end up going forward. It's the kJ Osbourne thirty six yard touchdown. In the moment as the game's being played, DJ and I are looking at each other. I'm like, why is he not accepting this penalty? Push him back to the forty six's That was a call I disagreed with. His reasoning for people that didn't see it was he didn't want to give Justin Jefferson two plays. He was hoping they could defend him in one and get a turnover. Undowns He's like, I figured out I gave him third and sixteen. They're on the plus side of the field. They're probably going to go forward on fourth down anyway. Why not just give them one crack at it instead of two? And my answer, so now I'm paying ponging it. My answer to that is because they're probably not going to go forward if it's fourth and twelve. They're not going to go forward. If it's fourth and sixteen, They're not going to go forward if it's fourth and nine. You know, fourth and six. Yeah, that's you got a lot of options in there.
Speaker 4: So anyway, well, you brought up a good point too about the amount of grass that Kirk would have if they did punt and keeping my Darwin James was not that football game. On the other side, we're gonna get to all the injuries. The list is long on a Wednesday. I know it's going to change.
Speaker 2: As we get through the rest of the week, but let's take a quick break. We'll talk about the Raiders.
Speaker 4: Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat. Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with.
Speaker 2: The Uber Eats app.
Speaker 4: Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites and you'll receive a notification when your order is ready for pickup. There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach. Go Chargers, And of course, a big thank you to our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the LA Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed.
Speaker 2: Both on and off the field.
Speaker 4: Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet. Surface dot com So want to hear we go the Raiders come to town on Sunday. Opportunity for the Chargers to even up their record before the bye week and kind of hit the reset button as they get into a couple of tough games coming out of the by against Dallas and Kansas City. This Raiders team has not been very good. They have not forced a turnover through three weeks.
Speaker 2: They have given up.
Speaker 4: The ball seven times minus seven turnover differential. Justin Herbert, I think the only quarterback in football who has not turned the football over through the first three weeks. I think that that's a nice starting point against a hated rival that you absolutely have to beat. You can't go one in three.
Speaker 5: No, and look, we brought this up on an earlier podcast about Jimmy Garoppolo, and Jimmy was great with the greatest play caller in the NFL. Jimmy was great with a defense that had the best front in the NFL and would stake him to Leeds. Jimmy was great with a guy that had incredible run design, that had receivers that were all about run after catch and physical and George Kittle and Deebo Samuel and Brandon Ayuk and then Christian McCaffrey. But even before that, Raheem most are all like Jimmy was great in that situation. Well, now Jimmy comes to a team with a below average offensive line with Josh Jacobs who right now is averaging two point four yards per carry and just cannot get it going, has zero tds. This was your rushing leader last year. DeVante Adams is pissed. Darren Waller is gone, Like you're now asking Jimmy Garoppolo to play, like Justin Herbert, like, Hey, we're gonna put the team on your back and you're gonna carry us. And that I'm looking at it right now. You know what that looks like. Five touchdowns, six interceptions, That's what that looks like. So in less than two hundred and fifty yard about two hundred and twenty yards per game. So that's and I don't even know if he's gonna play. You know, he didn't he did not practice yesterday, have not. You know, there's no injury report yet as we're as we're recording this.
Speaker 3: So Daniel, whether or not.
Speaker 4: Daniels made it seem to think that he would be okay. I think Jeremy Feller ESPN thinks that that he'll be okay. But the Chargers preparing for all three quarterbacks. For you, yes, Ryan Hohr is the backup. But I think Raider Nation was to see aide O'Connell.
Speaker 5: If they want O'Connell in the worst way, they want him in the worst way, to which I would say, look, you know me, I love Purdue players, huge fan of Purdue players. But I would say, you know, how many quarterbacks have looked great in the preseason. Zach Wilson looked great in the preseason, you know, like that's it's the preseason.
Speaker 3: But it just goes to show.
Speaker 5: You how they are not on board with the you know, Garoppolo, the Jacobe Myers instead of Darren Waller, like all of these these things. It's a problem. Like it's a big problem in Las Vegas right now. The fact that Josh McDaniels is trying to recreate what he had in New England. They draft Hyree Wilson. He's the worst pass rusher in the NFL right now. I mean they take him with a top ten pick. He's got what did we just say about Tully had.
Speaker 3: What nine pressures or ten pressures in the.
Speaker 5: Last game I think it was last week. Yeah, nine pressures against the Vikings. Wilson's got won this year and he's rushing opposite Max Crosby. Think about the resources you have to devote to Max Crosby, the best pass rusher in the NFL. He's opposite him. He's got one pressure.
Speaker 2: I think it at some point, like a zero percent pass rush.
Speaker 3: Win Race benched him last week.
Speaker 4: He was sick last week and played like fifteen snaps. So you'll probably see a little bit more of him this upcoming week.
Speaker 3: But they don't.
Speaker 4: They can't generate a turnover, and you know, sometimes you think that the script's going to be flipped. You're like, all right, you know what, Minnesota's going to take care.
Speaker 2: Of the football.
Speaker 4: They've been off for ten days, concerted effort, take care of the football.
Speaker 2: You know what. Kirk gave it up at the end, turnover right off the top.
Speaker 4: Should have had a third one that although he force from Madison, So sometimes that turnover luck is just you are.
Speaker 3: What you are.
Speaker 4: And right now the Raiders are mistake prone and they can't take the football away. That gives you a built advantage right off the top. Now, money, I need to read off this injury list, and keep in mind we're taping this Thursday morning. This is gonna change. But you know Bosa d n P. He hasn't practiced on Wednesdays the last couple of weeks. Eckler limited. I would be surprised that.
Speaker 3: That's good news there. Limited is good news.
Speaker 2: It's good news.
Speaker 4: And Eckler said himself, he said, the bye week has no bearing on whether or not I play Sunday.
Speaker 2: If I'm one hundred percent, I'm one hundred percent. If I'm not, I'm not.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: Gerald Everett d m P Illness, Alohi Gilman d n P, heel Derwin James uh this could be concerning because of the rap that we saw on his hamstring during the game. Hamstrings dmp Kendricks hamstring limited. That's good news. Corey Linsley illness dmp Khalil Mack rest Uh So he's been getting that rest growing for Kenneth Murray and then uh Rashaun Slater ankle limited. The two players that you cannot let beat you on Sunday is one Davonte Adams and two Josh Jacobs. Now Minnesota entered Week three with the worst rushing attack in football. Didn't have a ten yard rush all season. They had multiple against the Chargers in that game. Josh Jacobs, you set a money two point four yards of rush. I think he had a minus zero point two in one game. It may have been a Week two against the Bills.
Speaker 3: He's first week. I think, right, was the first week or was it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: No, you're right it was against the Bills were had negative two yards rushing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, megas, whatever it is, two point four yards of rush clearly needed training camp. You don't want Josh Jacobs to get going against you, so it can only go up for him. Davonta Adams. What scares me about that? If there's no Derwin James. You talk about the angles that safeties take. With DeVonta Adams, he can get you going sideways. I don't care who if you or me're throwing him the football, he'll probably get one.
Speaker 2: Hundred and sixty.
Speaker 3: So if I were thrown him the football, it would never make it to him hit the grass.
Speaker 2: You could do one of those those to his shovels to him, though I.
Speaker 3: Let him do his work.
Speaker 5: He better be five feet he better be within five feet of me. If I'm going to complete a pass film, that's for sure, because as soon as I get that snap, I am throwing away. I want nothing to do with a pass rush.
Speaker 4: But buddy, the second, I don't care who's throwing him the football. The secondary right now, in flux with J. C. Jackson's situation, both are starting safety's stemp's on Wednesday and giving a big plays throughout the first three weeks. That's the one thing that gives me a little worried this Chacobe Myers DeVante Adams tandem regardless of who's throwing the football.
Speaker 5: So I would say, you know, just I'm not even playing Devil's advocate. Like what I would say is the most important name on that list is Rashaun Slater as long as you can have because you know, if the defense, I am accepting that the defense is probably not you know, I think the ceiling for this defense as we've watched thus far as probably mid pack like that would be huge. If they can get to the middle of the pack. I think the Chargers can win a lot of games. I don't have any designs, and I don't say it to be snarky or me and I just think what we've seen thus far shows there are some limitations with this defense in the secondary. Injuries are not helping them.
Speaker 3: The J. C.
Speaker 5: Jackson thing is a huge blow. So if they can just get to average, this offense can score thirty points. They can score you know, we've seen kind of the way this thing is played out. They're averaging thirty points a game. They can score thirty points a game. I don't think the Raiders can keep up with that offensively, I don't think they have the ability to put up those kind of numbers. Like now, Mike Williams is down. That's a huge hit. I mean a monster hit for this team. He attracts so much attention because of the damage he can do downfield with those fifty to fifty balls. It's really hard to put him one on one and not have some safety help because he's going to crush in those balls push downfield. That's gone, which means Keenan's not Keenan is going to get a lot more attention, a lot more. I think Josh Palmer can excel. I believe he can. He can be a eighty two one hundred yard receiving yards per game player. I really believe that he is incredibly He is wildly underrated. So I think Slater, being healthy, you can leave him on an island. Max wants to rush him. I'm totally fine with that battle Slater versus Max Crosby the other side, Tray, you can give him all the help you want. You know, put your back over there to help him, put your tight end over there to help him, because we're not concerned about anybody else except for that one guy. And as long as you can neutralize him, you can put points on the board.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 5: So that's sort of the I think DeVante's going to have a good game. He always has a good game against the Chargers. You know, he pretty much always has a good game against anybody. He's averaging one hundred and ten yards per game and a touchdowne hundred and ten and a tug per game is what he's averaging. He's probably going to get that. I think the situation with you know, the rush attack last week, and the vikings is it's what they gave them. You know, those safeties were twenty yards off the line of scrimmage. They were playing in a two high shell almost the entire game, so they were willing to give up the rush yards to try to put a top on it to prevent those explosive plays.
Speaker 3: Didn't really work.
Speaker 5: They still got quite a few of them, but it did work enough where they're like, that's fine, you want to rush. That first drive is a perfect example. We're gonna make you methodically make your way downfield and here comes a lowie Gilman ripping the ball out of the hands of t J. Hawkinson for a turnover. You know, so like that's the sort of thing I think that led to those rushing yards being higher than they had been at all in previous games. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the opposite this week. If it's you are you are not going to get Josh Jacobs going. We're going to commit resources to the line of scrimmage and we're going to force Jimmy to beat us with a pass because we think we can get home by the time he's ready.
Speaker 3: To get rid of it.
Speaker 5: So smart. Yeah, that's that's kind of the way I see this thing going.
Speaker 4: The offense is going to change. Let's just say, for the sake of this conversation here, Austin doesn't play. Uh no, Mike, No Austin. This is a huge spot for Quinton and josh And josh obviously had that touchdown. I think it was the one maybe the one mistake that Justin made that that ball shouldn't have been intercepted. But we've seen Joshua last week last year when Mike and Keenan were out for big stretches. I remember Atlanta vividly and he was such an integral part of the reason they won that game. He has been in a spot where he has been relied upon to be the wide receiver one, wide receiver two. So this is nothing new to him. For Quinton, though, this is a big spot. What do you think we're going to see from him? And how do you think the offense changes? Knowing that you may not have Austin and then you're down big.
Speaker 5: Mike, He's going to get a lot of snaps and you know time, it's time for him to grow up. In a hurry, you know, they were they were slow playing it. They were talking about you know, this is coach Daley had said it to us, and you know, we talked about it last week. So I asked him before the game, why why isn't quitting out there more?
Speaker 3: You know, and and he.
Speaker 5: Was, I don't want to say defensive, but he just said, look at the wide receiver room. You know, we've got three Pro Bowl level receivers, and you know that's we're not putting four receivers out there. So it's he's in a rotational situation. Well that's that's no longer the case. I'm trying to find the trying to find the offensive alignment because they're in eleven almost all the time.
Speaker 3: Like they are.
Speaker 5: They basically Kellen Moore wants to line eleven, meaning one running back, one tight end, which means there's three receivers out there for people that don't.
Speaker 3: I didn't mean to do that.
Speaker 5: So they're constantly in three receiver sets. So, okay, who's the third receiver? If if Josh Josh is obviously now the two Keenan's the one is the third receiver. Darius Davis is the third receiver. Quinton Johnston is the third receiver. Semi Fojoko is the third receiver. John Hiite like, are we digging into the practice squad now? Like who who ends up getting that third receiver? I think the one thing with Quinton is and I get it. You've got Keenan Ana Kallen, Keenan Allen out there. Look, Gerald Everett's targets are going to go up.
Speaker 3: I don't. I have no doubt in my mind about that.
Speaker 5: Justin trust Gerald. I think there's a I think there's a trust thing there. I don't think Herbert is comfortable throwing to Quinton yet, because they're have plays where he's had an opportunity where Johnston has the leverage, he's broken off his route, he's created separation. And I can watch it back on film. I can see that Justin's going through his progressions and he's looking there and I think he's just like, Hm, I'll throw it to Mike. Yeah, I'll throw it to Keenan. And now he's going to be forced to throw those passes, and when he does, it's up to Quinton to catch him. You know, there were a couple there's two plays that I'd like to have erased from my memory, and one was in the end zone against Tennessee. And one was this last week on a third down one yard past the sticks, and Justin's trying to tea you know, is treating Quinton like he treats Mike. Where he's throwing that ball up there where only a guy who's six foot four can go get it. And for whatever reason, Quinton's jumping with one hand like he's on both the plays he leaps and he's only has one hand extended, and I'm like, what is that? Like, that's you can't catch the ball that way. You've got to have both hands up ready to secure the ball and win the fifty to fifty. So those are the things that I'm sure he and he and Justin are going to go through. And look, it's it's on him, man, He's he is going to be pressed. He's going to go from it's been like fifteen snaps a game to probably forty fifty.
Speaker 4: Like I say, good, you know what this is the this is the opponent to money to to start against. Okay, and we'll know a lot a lot about Quentin's development after Sunday's game, where he is right now, how much trust Justin has in him. But we've done this so many times. As you go back to Justin's rookie year. He's trusting Jalen, Geidon and t Billy. If you get open, Justin's gonna find you and and Quentin's gonna have a lot of opportunities.
Speaker 2: To be found in this offense.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The other TCU receiver though, Darius Davis.
Speaker 4: I think Brandon Stilly mentioned Darius specifically about guys.
Speaker 2: That may have to step up.
Speaker 4: You know, maybe we see more of Darius Davis's speed on the field, whether it's jet sweeps or these quick little screens or maybe just going vertical right, because you know, during the preseason we saw Darius Davis do some things on offense in addition to his special teams powers. And you know they clearly trust Parham in the red zone.
Speaker 2: Another big target.
Speaker 3: He's been great, He's.
Speaker 4: Been fantastic and just like everybody has a specific role, right and Parham has excelled in that role in the red zone. Gerald Everett, I think you're right that trust there that Justin has in him. You're going to see en up ticking targets there. So I still think that they're more than capable.
Speaker 3: And he, by the way, real quick, Chris.
Speaker 5: He had a great game. He had a great game against Minnesota, fought for a first down. Like I'm looking at his numbers now, twelve targets, eleven catches, one hundred yards. You know it's gonna get you ten yards. You throwing the ball, he's gonna catch it twelve And that was an issue you remember early last year he kind of had to acclimate I think to Herbert where he had some drops early twelve targets, eleven catches. Like the thing about Quentin, I said fifteen, he's not even at fifteen. He's at like twelve. Twelve receiving snaps per game is what Quentin's at. So that's gonna that is going to jump. To put that in perspective, Mike Williams is averaging just just receiving snaps one hundred and thirteen, So like Keenan's at one hundred and thirty six, he's at basically forty five. I mean, that's what you're talking about the kind of jump that he's going to take in terms of receiving snaps. Obviously you're out there for the run place as well, but that's kind of what I'm getting at.
Speaker 3: When you're in the pattern.
Speaker 4: So you know, Muddy, I hate to do this in like fantasy football terms, but like you, if you play fantasy football, you probably do if you watch this. The tight end position has been an absolute nightmare this year. It's been like Kelsey and everybody else, like Samuel Porta, a guy you probably didn't draft, is balling out. So you know, Gerald's one of those guys that, hey, if if you have like a Dallas Goddard and he hasn't done anything, maybe you look at Gerald Everett after this bike injury and say, hey, he may see an uptick in targets.
Speaker 5: You know, I agree, Yeah, Everett Parham, you know we're probably going to see a little look if Austin's out there, he's going to start getting some balls as well. Clearly just not quite as comfortable throwing the ball to Joshua Kelly like he is Austin Eckler. You know, I'd like to see more Spiller. Spiller had a really nice run in that game. Nobody could run the ball, and he had one for about six seven yards where he got hit at the line of scrimmage should have been like a one yard loss. He shook the guy off with all that strength and turned it into a six yard game. Did a really good job in blitz pick up, I thought. So I'm hoping we can see a little bit more of him. I'd like to see him get involved in the past game because we know from his time at A and M he can catch the ball, So maybe we'll see an uptick in his snaps as well.
Speaker 2: The Rashaun Slater element to this. He was limited Wednesday.
Speaker 4: You hope that that's just precautionary and he's going to be good to go on Sunday. The offensive line has played well, they've protected Justin Herbert. What are the things that they cannot absolutely do to to explosive plays this game?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, explosive plays, you know, just like we saw what are your touchdowns thirty six yards to kJ Osbourne, fifty five, fifty three yards to Justin Jefferson. Seven explosives out there in that game. You know, they lost the Tennessee game because of explosive plays seventy yards to Trailing Burke's, you know, forty nine yards to Chris Moore, Like that's they still have an issue with that. You know, you play great defense, you get teams behind the sticks first in twenties, third and eighteens, you know, second in twenties, and like teams convert, and they've got to stop with the bonehead penalties on third down, just like the raheem lane one. Come on, man, you cannot draw you know better than that. You cannot drop your head like you just can't do it. It's you know, Derwin had another one like that's just inexcusable. Those are self inflicted wounds where you can get off the field or force a field goal and you're given the team.
Speaker 2: Points defense man weeks.
Speaker 5: Now, yeah, all third they're all third downs, like it's it's brutal. So that's got to get cleaned up. And explosive plays have to get cleaned up, you know, and they do that, this team's going to be really good. I mean it's this team's got a chance to be really good if they can clean that up. But we've been saying that for three years now, you know, clean up the explosive plays, and they keep biting them. So we'll see, you know, right now, Devonte Adams has a season long of thirty two yards. Can't let him cannot let him erase that and put a new number there. His season high is a thirty two yard reception. You cannot let him put a new number there.
Speaker 4: Same with Josh Jacobs. That two point four yards of pop needst around that territory.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, before we get out of here, I want to ask you about the bye week. And normally, you know you hate the early buy but I almost feel like, given the injuries, given the way that the season has started, if you can get out of this two and two and take a breath and get ready for Dallas, I almost feel like it's come at the right time for this team to maybe end this first quarter of the season on a high note, figure out what the heck is going on in some of the breakdowns, and then kind of retool and get ready for two huge games against Dallas and Kansas City.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hate that the league did them so dirty. You know, you get a bye and the Cowboys get extra rest. You know, you go from a buye into a Monday night football game. I wish it were reversed. I wish it was bye week Kansas City and then the Monday nighter.
Speaker 3: That would be a short week going to Kansas City too.
Speaker 5: Exactly, so you get a short week instead. You're coming off a buy and you get the Monday nighter, the extra rest, and then you have to go to Kansas City on a short week.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: After that is where So that's two very tough games. Go into those two and two, and if you come out of those two to one and one, not the end of the world three and three after six weeks, because after that is where they got to make their bones. They have got to make their bones in that stretch. Bears at home at Jets, Monday night, Detroit, at home at Green Bay, Baltimore, at home at New England, Denver, at home at Vegas. I mean, that is the stretch that will dictate their season because after that, Buffalo and Kansas City in two of the final three weeks of the season.
Speaker 3: So it's still there. Looks it was a huge win.
Speaker 5: Even at zero and three, I would have been like, eh, probably still there for him. Not ideal going into the by at one and three if you beat the Raiders and then having the Cowboys and the Chiefs, and you might be looking at two and four, you know, but go in at two and two, get out of those two at three and three, and then you can really start to make your march and it's very similar to what they did last year, you know at the end of the year, when they when they packaged all those wins together at the four game win streak, you know, right before Week eighteen, at the end of the year, to punch their ticket in at ten. So the other good news is and it never fails. It just got to make we got to stop making stupid proclamations prior to the season about oh, the AFC and all these quarterbacks, and it's a you're gonna have teams. You better win eleven games if you want to win, if you want to make it in the the playoffs.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: Now, it turns out Baltimore, you know, the brilliant Shane Steichen forces Lamar to throw the ball outside the numbers can't do it, and the Colts go in there with Gardner Minshew and get a victory. And you know, and now, and obviously the Jets do not have Aaron Rodgers. The I'm going through it all. Now, let me just go through the conference as we go down. Yeah, there's one three and zero team. Are you afraid of? The Steelers at two and one second year of Kenny Pickett. Kind of a reminder the defense looks great, but you know you've got obviously. The Chiefs look fantastic. The Colts are two in one, the Browns have an incredible defense, don't quite know what the offense is yet. Patriots are talking about moving on from Mac Jones. The Jaguars are a complete disaster after getting humiliated by by the Texans. Trevor Lawrence looks lost. The Bengals are one and two, and Joe Burrow looks like he's got a calf injury that's going to be dogging them all year. Sean Payton is a laughing stock.
Speaker 2: Can I get your thoughts on seventy twenty real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You earned it, dude, You know you earned it. That's what you get. So it's just there was no Look. I don't know Sean Payton personally, but you know I know enough people that have been around him to kind of know what his personality is, his disposition is, and that's hubris and it bit him in the ass. You know, you want to run your mouth about the worst coaching job. Hey, at least the defense was good last year for Denver. It's one of the best defenses in the NFL. Now you've shown up, You broke the defense and the offense sucks. Can I as a first and a second rounder?
Speaker 2: Can I ask you this?
Speaker 4: I think VIC probably had some mixed emotions in that game, like, you know what, we just beat my former team by fifty, but I had that defense humming and yeah, and it's it's a shame to see what they've become in just a couple of years since my departure, right like it's I mean even last year money with with with ever, like they were a good defense.
Speaker 2: They were they would get after you.
Speaker 3: In the league.
Speaker 4: Justin Simmons wasn't in the game, didn't matter, wouldn't have mattered anyway. Maybe they don't give up seventy, but Jalen Wattle wasn't even in that game.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 5: By the way, you know they don't have their second round pick this year. Very well can end up being you know, like the Bears traded their second rounder for Chase Claypool. They traded it for Sean Payton along with the the Miami first rounder that went to New Orleans. If i'm if I'm Tom Telesco, We'll give you our second for Justin Simmons. You want you want to replace your second with our second, we'll give it to you right now, you know, like I would, What do you want for certain? We'll give you our one. We'll give you our one for certain right now?
Speaker 2: You think they afc West trade there?
Speaker 5: I mean, I the wheels are going to come off that thing they're playing. They're playing the Bears this week, I think, aren't they if they lose to the.
Speaker 4: Bears everything, That's what I mean, Judy Simmons, everybody is on the way.
Speaker 3: Lose to the Bears.
Speaker 5: You might as well start playing for Caleb Williams because you can't get rid of Russell's contract. You know, that's that thing stuck on the books for at least another year. And if you do cut them, I think it's like a forty million dollar hit of dead money this year and then you're clear, you know, thirty five to forty million. So if you have a rookie quarterback, you can account for that, right if you If you draft Drake may or Caleb Williams or you or is one of those high picks six, that's fine. Yeah, so I think that that will become a serious conversation. And yeah, you know you mentioned it. Mike Williams is down all right, I don't know what the Courtland Sutton contract looks like, but you know, get that outside receiver, that big, physical outside receiver to come in the you know, if they're going to go into a full rebuild, they don't care. They don't care. If you know they're they're given an AFC West team, you know, a player. It just's like whatever, we're we're going to be two years away anyway, So let's let's just freaking recoup and get some picks. And I don't think they'd give up Cirtan. He's too good. But some team will give him a one. I don't think there's any question about it. They'll give him one for certain, maybe even they'll give him a one plus. But I'd give him a I just think about you know, we talk about the physicality of a lowis and and what you'd be able to do if you could have a free like a legit free read the field, take the right angles, put a lid on it like that man, that'd be a huge addition for this team, a huge addition.
Speaker 4: Certaan's father was on Twitter on Sunday, and he was none too pleased with the situation that his son is in either so.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you know the son was in the conversation. Is the best corner in football last year, the best corner in all of football, and now he's on a defense that allowed seventy points to a team like disaster, And you know what couldn't happen to a better guy?
Speaker 2: AFC. You said it, and it's the same. It's the usual suspects.
Speaker 4: Man, it's Kansas City, it's Buffalo, and now it's Miami, and now it's Miami.
Speaker 2: It's those it's those three teams.
Speaker 4: And if the Chargers can do what they're supposed to do and beat the Raiders and beat the Cowboys and maybe beat the Chiefs or split that, like you said, make some hay in that soft part of the schedule, they may be in a position.
Speaker 2: Right historically they have not.
Speaker 4: Done what the Rams did in terms of getting guys like Jalen Ramsey, Ron Miller or Odell Beckham. But if they're in a position where they're making hey and Mike Evans is available or Justin Simmons is available.
Speaker 3: Mike Evans a great call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe this is a year you do go for it because you haven't done it in the past.
Speaker 4: You do have the draft capital to do it and it's not gonna kill you. And you know, you look at the cap number of a lot of these guys, Joey Khalil, Keenan, Mike. Some of those guys are not going to be here next year. So if you can make some hey, maybe that's something that we talk about here in the next four or five weeks. I purposely did not do the mail bag this week because we have a bye week next week, and we'll.
Speaker 3: Do it next week. There's just too much talk weeks. Exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: All right, that's gonna do it, Uh, buddy, I will be there on Sunday. Look forward to seeing you, man.
Speaker 4: It's for telling you guys, Uh, Chargers Raiders Sunday, they're going to go one zero in the AFCU West for money on Chris. This has been Chargers Weekly, presented by Microsoft Service
Speaker 3: Strip