Speaker 1: Wake Up, Wake Up White. You guys really are like the hip hop early morning late night talk Hill.
Speaker 2: Breakless Club is the most powerful popular urban radio show.
Speaker 1: Maybe like from the Black Mothership in New York City.
Speaker 2: It's DJ YEMV and CHARLAMAGNEA God.
Speaker 1: It's different, you know what I'm saying, Like, y'all know what y'all talking about.
Speaker 3: Y'all be Blast five.
Speaker 1: I love y'all.
Speaker 3: Collectively known as Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: So I'm always nervous when I do the Breakfast Club because sometimes you say stuff and it's just gonna get you in trouble.
Speaker 1: Everybody, what good morning?
Speaker 5: Usc yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 1: Yo yo yo. Charlemagnea gud Pa stood up playing it.
Speaker 6: It's Friday, Yes, and we got our special guest host Laura la Rossa with us this morning.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 7: Laura, good morning, what's happening another day to serve man? Happy Friday?
Speaker 1: That is right. You get settled in here. I ain't light my candles, I see my prayers yet nothing now shout to everybody in Alabama.
Speaker 6: I'm in Alabama, you know, each and every year, I go on this HBCU tour where I try to touch different HBCUs and talk to different people, whether it's the band, whether it's the football team, whether it's teachers, professors, whoever it may be, just to try to put people on a HBCU experience they might have never seen. You know, coming from New York, there is no close HBCU in the Vicinity. The closest one, I think is you have to go to Cheney or Morgan State, which is three hours away. So we didn't get that experience. So I'm trying to show that experience to a lot of these younger students. So we're doing interviews and just trying to create awareness to these HBCUs. So this week and I'm at Alabama A and M so saluting them, drop a bomb for Alabama A and M dropping a.
Speaker 1: Cluse bombs for Alabama A and M. After Dominican who grew up in New York, what means you want to go to an HBCU.
Speaker 6: Actually it was a different world, watching the different world as a kid growing up, just seeing the college life was great. Untils I'm not Dominican, I'm black. My parents' dream was for me to go to an HBCU. They never got an opportunity need to go to college. They couldn't afford it. So for their child, they wanted me to go to an HBCU. So that was their dream for me to go to college, and not just any college, but an HBCU.
Speaker 8: And that's why I went to Hampton.
Speaker 1: Well that's good. See that shows the power of entertainment. Correct, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: College here?
Speaker 1: College?
Speaker 4: College? I mean that, Yeah, that'sgageration. But college Hell. I even was like, I need to go to the schools that they went to, and I didn't end up at those schools.
Speaker 1: But college has been around that long?
Speaker 4: Wow, what you mean?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Wow, you know what I'm saying. College Hill has been around a long long enough to impact somebody wanted to go to college.
Speaker 4: From thirty one thirty one, it's been around what we were like, Yeah, we were high school.
Speaker 1: That's I didn't realize college he was going on that long.
Speaker 4: I don't like that you keep saying that that long.
Speaker 1: He'd been stabbing you all week. Now, just got a stab. I really didn't think college Hell had been on for over a decade. Damn wow.
Speaker 4: Well dj nvy, I'm so happy you're doing that. Let's stay positive this and then you could go to HBC.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I didn't go to college at all. Okay, I graduated in night school two years behind schedule. I was supposed graduated in nineteen ninety six to graduate in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 4: Night schooling around that long, No for riding. The night school was around in like the ancient Roman nineteen hundred.
Speaker 1: He was around in the nineteen hundreds. And you know what's so funny, All my EPs is going to be here.
Speaker 8: This morning joining us this morning.
Speaker 7: He got his second book, Nubia The Reckoning is out, and he actually talks about that. He talks about the fact of entertainment and the influence and impact it can have on people in that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I posted a TS yesterday and I forgot that All my Epps actually came to my mother's house and was rapping. When he used to rap back in the days, he used to do a freestyle. And I was just thinking to myself, I had all these people come in my mama basement and they would be rapping from fabulous.
Speaker 4: I told you, we need the beginning of this week to JAMV what we need a series something from you, Like, there's a lot of history there.
Speaker 6: So they did the Rap City and Take. He used to talk about mama upstairs. That's how my basement really was. Like Mama was upstairs cooking, like mama was upstairs cleaning, Like that's how it really was.
Speaker 1: So if it's if anybody got any new candles in the back, you can bring them. They don't make candles like they used to. I feel like I feel like my grandma Naven had candles that lasted for years. These candles don't even last days.
Speaker 4: My grandmom and them then used to light candles. You it just sat in the room that you weren't allowed to sit in the room with the plastic in it.
Speaker 6: Lord have mercy, right, let's get the show crack and we got front page news. Next Testling figure O will be joining us. It's a Friday, and it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning, everybody. It's the dj NV Charlemagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got long the Road, sauce, special guest hosts in the building. And let's get into some front page news.
Speaker 9: What up, Tiars, what's going on? Dj m V Lauren and Charlemagne the God Good Morning, Breakfast Club Family.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 6: All right, well let's jump right into it. Let's talk about Congress down. They got three days to make a deal.
Speaker 9: Three day used to make a deal. Unfortunately, you have seen this repeat over and over and over, and they still do not have a plan. Now the government funds run out at twelve oh one Eastern Sunday. Now Democrats are presenting a night of front. But the problem is on the Republican side, there's some internal fighting. They're calling it a Republican civil war because some conservatives House Republicans are pushing for deep spending cuts, even threatening to Speaker Kevin McCarthy. You may remember, for those who follow this, in the very beginning, when speaking McCarthy was put in his seat, they had told him, you know, basically they would ask him if he got too cozy with Democrats. And so they are definitely making that threat again, saying that if he makes a deal, they will certainly be trying to remove him from his seat. He was asked how he felt about it. Take a listen to his response.
Speaker 4: How much of the fact that if you do cut a deal with Democrats there could be a vote to push you out.
Speaker 3: How much is that driving your decision making?
Speaker 1: Right? Nothing, he drives my decision. If that was driving my decision, when that driven my decision making fifteen times before?
Speaker 9: Mind, you could deal with Democrats and that could be the end of it.
Speaker 1: Did I cut a deal?
Speaker 10: Then?
Speaker 1: Did I cut a deal? Then when I went up? Fifteen round? I'm talking about right now, but let me let me explain them to you. I'm no different than I was then or before. My whole focus, what's in my mind, what drives me is the American people. Ye're right, worried if someone makes emotion. I'm not worried if somebody votes, know, it's it damn shame that these folks are willing to let the government shut down for political reasons. I don't believe they'll let it happen.
Speaker 7: But it's just just the fact they're willing to do a show that none of these people are really as America first as they claim to be claiming to be about the American people.
Speaker 9: Yeah, right, and he's lying talking about you know, I'm not going to do anything because I'm worried about the people. Because actually the impeachment hearing, I wish you'll talk about it in the second hour. Was absolutely done because they told him he needed to do it or he would lose his position. So uh, you know we always say this on the Republican side, they push a hard line. So yeah, there's just a few of them and they're really really holding the line to say you do this or else. So it's gonna be interesting to see. You know how I gonna move this weekend?
Speaker 1: All right? Well that is front page news.
Speaker 6: Now get it off your chest eight hundred five five one oh five one. If you need to vent, phone lines a wide open eight hundred five A five one oh five one.
Speaker 1: Get it off your chest. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, it's a new day. Is it your time to get it off your chest?
Speaker 2: Play got whether you're mad or blass, time to get up and get some.
Speaker 11: Call up now eight hundred five e five one oh five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Hello this yo.
Speaker 12: DJ Indy was good. It's Coach David Charlamagne and God like y'all are doing. And uh to the guests, good morning, your love, young lady.
Speaker 1: How you going?
Speaker 4: I'm doing good?
Speaker 1: What I'm coaching? Yo?
Speaker 12: I'm good. I'm good. Hey listen, man. You know, like I said, September is a lovely month. Not only did I celebrate my first day, but I had my wedding anniversary twenty one years and tomorrow is my son's twenty fifty first day. Man, you know, I wanted to shout my son, Amy and Davis, I love you boy. You know, I also wanted to talk about yesterday. I heard y'all this morning, you know, before y'all get on air about the body count. I really wasn't able to get do yesterday. And I want to say this, right when we when we deal with you know, sexual acts and things like that, that's a spirit true act, right, And to be engaged in such behavior from a spiritual emotions, you're dealing with a lot of trauma and things that go wrong with that. Because we're entering into each other. You understand, especially for men, when you're entering into a woman. And I say that because as my son, right, my son turned twenty five. One of the things, like Charlamagne said, you know, I impressed, and I really do. I impressed upon my son. Because you can doesn't mean that you have to you understand what I'm saying, when you're dating these young ladies, you know, if y'all have to have in mind that you're gonna smash and take her down, that's not the gold. You know. And I you know, I have a daughter as well. She's twenty. When she's twenty years old, so canvy. I understand you, brother, You know you look at things.
Speaker 10: Like I had.
Speaker 12: It's twenty. I had this conversation with my brother yesterday. Yo. I really sat back and I thought about in my fifteen years, whether my body count is what my personal body count is, and I'm gonna keep it a stack. No, I was not a Charlamagne. I'm gonna keep it a stack with you in my fifty years. I just say, maybe twenty females. I'm gonna keep it a fuck. Maybe twenty females in my fifty years. And I'm talking college. You understand what I'm saying. Now. I wasn't. I wasn't out there like that. Yeah. I got my experience, but I always felt, man, this is this thing is like you said, it's your body. It's a temple, you know, from a male and a few the standpoint. But I want to lead y'all with this last time I was talking to y'all, I was mentioning about the ABA and the Cody Allen thunder Well, I'm the general manager of that organization and we got a little quick shout out on the drink on the drink Champs when uh no, he was talking uh ms bleet and know you alluded to it, but prith bleet talking about the next But I wanna let y'all know, man on the twenty eighths, I will opening day. I would love to invite y'all two gentlemen out to come watch history being made in Cody Allen, Brooklyn and Kingsburg Community College. Y'all the thunder here and we're gonna take Brooklyn and New York by spell on man, and I want y'all to have a great day. Gentlemen. Thank y'all for allowing me to get and talk to y'all.
Speaker 1: Dollars for that commercial you just did.
Speaker 6: Okay, you stupid, but thanks for that invite, brother, and good luck for the season. Get it off your chest eight hundred and five. I want if you need to vent hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 11: This is your time to get it off your chest eight hundred five eight five one o five one. We want to hear from you on the breakfast club.
Speaker 2: Hello, Who's this is?
Speaker 13: Jay?
Speaker 1: What up?
Speaker 3: MV?
Speaker 12: What Charlot?
Speaker 3: And is god?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: I brother?
Speaker 1: Get it off your chest?
Speaker 10: No, I'm telling it your envy this for you, man. Please don't clean no fash this morning.
Speaker 12: Man, don't do it. Man.
Speaker 10: No more's punkin Spice, little avil or sexy bony Red whatever her name is.
Speaker 9: No more.
Speaker 12: Please we talk.
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know what I'm You're talking to Envy.
Speaker 1: I was like, why do you talk me pumpkin spice?
Speaker 10: And second I'm talking to v Charlo. Man, I'm talking you're talking.
Speaker 1: To vyund crazy.
Speaker 7: He's like, yo, Envy, Yo you sexy pumpkin Spicey. It sounded like you said, no, no, lord, no, no charlist the new girl.
Speaker 10: Man a way, can't rap him. Take off the beef, do me your favorite take off the beef right and just listening with his safe They can't thinking.
Speaker 4: Nothing rapping that ain't sexy raby to be about.
Speaker 10: I hear you what she be rapping about.
Speaker 4: I'm waiting sex and all of that stuff. But she be like I could take a beat away from Heart and was still listening.
Speaker 1: Kianna changed her dietary habits. I don't know if y'all saw that you talking about.
Speaker 10: That question, quick question, would you let would you let your listen to sexual red music?
Speaker 1: My daughter fifteen, she probably is listening to sexy red music. I walked in her room the other day. She had King Vaughan playing, Oh.
Speaker 12: Man, well anyway, have a good day.
Speaker 14: Man.
Speaker 1: Don't talk to me like I felt as a father or jay.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you know, but we don't pick the records up here, ja. I only pick my mix JA. So if you had something that you love or you don't like that, that's you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: And by the way, why do us old heads act like our generation was any better?
Speaker 1: Like knock it off? Nobody? Well, yeah, some people do.
Speaker 7: We acting like we acting like the little Kims of the world and the tree and the five o'clock round weren't as ratchet and sexual as them like to cut it out.
Speaker 4: What they always trying to do is is minimize it by saying, like he said, if you take the beatyway, what they can't rap? What are they even talking about? And it's like some of them girls who sexy rector really flow. I just think it gets overlooked because of what she's sucking roup.
Speaker 1: All right, but but I always felt like that about people like Kim. Kim can rap her ass off.
Speaker 4: People debated whether she could rap or not in your time, I've never heard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because I don't think debated whether she could rap. But I think that because of the content, people didn't pay attention to her talent as much as they shot I.
Speaker 4: Could, I can.
Speaker 1: That's what I think.
Speaker 14: Hello, who's this DJ Charlamagne? God Lord? Good morning?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 1: Oh Rob? You got some balls for ball time?
Speaker 12: Hoever?
Speaker 14: They know it's Friday, Man, it's ball time. Let's get right into it. Check it out. I said, Yo, ain't no means for the introduction.
Speaker 15: You feeling urged, just google me zone down a part of that triangle philosophy. I put him out for if one strike Mama men talent making believers shown. His dedication is now stop a profile visitor, shock value. When let it popped, we drink big executed for Frank White, Saint James, Mafia style weapon, the pen strikes, you know, the drill, Brooklyn bomb, calm. It's a takeover heavy shot intended to land leaving what's left over in due time. Can't be confined stuck in the hoods for long soon it's tall budget of manifesting the peerage for them who wants to smoke open The deathly strand that I'm rolling with can't be passed by any bill.
Speaker 14: Congress is coated with them.
Speaker 15: Soldier Bill ran through the street corners and projects, flipping capsules in the process.
Speaker 10: Watch the dialect.
Speaker 14: I'm one of one producing the spect power. It's a new day. The main saw some larger my stature. Check the professor. Play og.
Speaker 6: G o g row okay okay, okay o g I got some.
Speaker 1: Balls, I got some boss.
Speaker 6: Now let's get it all in perspective for all your enjoyment.
Speaker 1: A song you could step.
Speaker 6: With, yell employ to me to bring rap justice, But I ain't five Yo, Laurie Loressa.
Speaker 1: You know it's tom Yo Charlamagne. Stop grabbing my ass.
Speaker 6: You better pass because if you're dope, you're trash.
Speaker 1: Boo boo.
Speaker 7: All I do is spark colorism. All I do is spark colorism. No rapperture wrapped quite like I can. I take a beige man and put his head in the skin.
Speaker 4: No hold on, you wrote that.
Speaker 1: Or that's ll J cool J. That's what that was right there? No white like I can I take a beige man and put his head in the sand. Dark skin, my fiosa, a light skin? Make you boo all light skin? They want to be.
Speaker 7: Dark because all I do is spark colorism. All I do is spark colorism. Hey, nobody with me?
Speaker 1: Boom.
Speaker 6: So if you put a light skin, dude, his face in the sand and his asses up. That's what you're trying to say, his face down, ass up.
Speaker 1: This is disgusting.
Speaker 4: Are y'all shot at each other?
Speaker 1: This is disgusting. There was no need for that. Do you rob there this morning?
Speaker 4: Get room?
Speaker 14: Hey, hey, hey, listen, this is what we do. Man, y'all already do what it is.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 14: I appreciate y'all the time.
Speaker 1: Man, I love it. I love it.
Speaker 14: I love it.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 14: Have a good weekend, y'all be starting for you and the family.
Speaker 6: Keep them better to you, brother, all right, get it off your chest. Eight hundred and five A five one O five one. Now when we come back, we got your roomor report Laura Ross what we were talking about?
Speaker 4: Yes, we are talking about Genie, Mai and Jeez. They are living under the same roof still, according to reports, and it is very awkward.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, we'll get into that when we come back.
Speaker 8: Don't move.
Speaker 1: It's to Breakfast Club. Good Morning, the Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 6: Everybody is dj n V charlamagnea God. We are the Breakfast Club. Laura la Ross, our special guest host is here this morning. Yes, and let's get to the rumors.
Speaker 4: I've been here from.
Speaker 1: Doom of report.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people will recognize the boys from the.
Speaker 1: Name on the Breakfast Club came in.
Speaker 4: So GZ and Genie my are still living together even amid the divorce, and it is a very uncomfortable situation. So TMZ reported this story. All Gz and Genie are still living together in Georgia, but there's very little interaction going on between them. You guys know that they have a one year old daughter together, and sources are saying that, you know that right now is their main focus. They don't really interact as much, but they do cross paths when they go, you know, throughout the house, but that's about it now. They also note that the divorce came as a complete shock to Genie which have been reported prior to so. But because of that, there's a lot of like anxiety and tension in the home. And at one point Genie my was the center of cheating rumors. People thought that she had begun dating Access Hollywood hosts Mario Lopez, but a source close to Genie confirmed that that was not true.
Speaker 7: So who are the sources that are reporting and why do we think it's Jenny March's family.
Speaker 4: I don't know who the sources are that I've reported this, and if I knew, I couldn't tell you because as a journalist you never out your sources.
Speaker 6: Well, Leska, Well, I will say is the fact that they're still in the house together shows a lot, right because if they really, if they hated each other and really couldn't get along, they wouldn't be in the house with you.
Speaker 1: We don't know if they're in the house together. It's just sources, it's just rumors.
Speaker 4: I believe laurens La. It's I didn't wreak this story. I don't work at TMZ anymore, but I will say that, I mean, they wouldn't have ran with this if they didn't confirm it in some way. Right, and if it's not true, somebody's going to come out and say that is not true because it's a major story. Because we were trying to figure out what was going on. There were some photos though. I think it was like last week Gigi still had on the wedding ring and people were like, what's going on.
Speaker 7: So the worst thing about situations like this, there's no privacy because whoever you got in the house, it could be you know, nannies, it could be do.
Speaker 1: Your lawn, whatever it is.
Speaker 7: Whatever they see, they're going to report to outlets if there's a little change for it.
Speaker 4: Well as I mean, okay, so.
Speaker 1: You paid for those kind of stories, right, you do?
Speaker 9: Don't?
Speaker 4: They don't pay for information information.
Speaker 1: No, people just doing that the goodness of their heart.
Speaker 4: When you're good at your job. It's not the even goodness of the No.
Speaker 7: I'm talking about the people who like, oh, I mean, yeah, they got to get some money.
Speaker 4: When I was no, you don't. They don't pay for information. Why do people think that? Do you guys understand how? That's why we're asking, Like, I don't work there anymore, but I do want people to understand that they are really good at what they do at that time when I was there. No, there's no information being paid for at all. You just have people and things and you know, relationships and you develop you know, stories from that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just wonder what would be the benefit for somebody to tell that, you know what I mean? Right?
Speaker 4: I can't answer that because each person's benefit might be different. But you know, sometimes I think people just want to feel important maybe.
Speaker 6: But they never mentioned a name though, like if it's a cleaning person, if it's a nanny or the landscape, but they don't mention the name.
Speaker 8: So it's like, what do you get out of it? If it's not finan.
Speaker 7: Probably just get off here in the story, like knowing that I'm the person that.
Speaker 4: It could if you never know who this or whether it's who the source is though, so who depending on who the source is, the what I get from it changes, right, because if it is something like that, like a nanny, a makeup artist or whatever, maybe they're just wanting to be involved. Or if it's someone that like if you know, celebrities put stories out too, If it's like that where it's it's coming from someone's team, maybe they're trying to control a narrative. Like, there's so many different reasons.
Speaker 7: Yeah, some people don't need credit for the drama they stir up. They just like to, you know, stir it up, set things on fire, and walk away.
Speaker 4: And well, I think this situation was on fire from the minute that the voice papers were filed. Like, that's a huge story. So at this point, you already in the fire, you might as well, like, you know, extinguish what's around you.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't know where the story came from, but I will say I thought when I read this, I thought, like, is their hope then, because they're still in the same house, because why would they need to still be in the same house outside of their kid? But they can both afford to not be in the same house.
Speaker 1: It's just okay, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, so on to the next rumor speculation, This stuff can is real.
Speaker 1: Young You better not say that. You better say.
Speaker 4: Allegedly according to sources. Yes, So moving on to the next story. Ice Spice. Ice Spice sat down with a Variety magazine and she talked about the fact that, you know, as she's come up, you know, Ice Spice has been coined as like one of the princesses a rap and she's had like such a big debut that she says, behind the scenes, a lot of the rap girls are not nice. She says that people always want to come off as a girl's girl and that's like the trinity thing to do now, but it's not always like that. So she says it's a competition. At the end of the day, people want to be all, I'm a girl's girl, but then behind the scenes are being Can I say the word be bitches? Basically, we're here, the girls are doing amazing. I'm excited to see I feel like this.
Speaker 1: That word, that word.
Speaker 4: Who's going to be and who's gonna Sorry, I don't know what I can and can't say. Can I get the paper?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: You know what, you're right because you're right because it's not in front of you today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, person, and I normally asked for it, but okay, there you go, Thank you.
Speaker 12: Ray.
Speaker 4: She also added that she wanted to be transparent and she knows that it's a competition, but she knows that sometimes people are checking on her.
Speaker 1: Wait what basically, welcome to the industry, ice spice.
Speaker 4: Okay, She's all over the place with this. It's like she's saying people are being like not nice to her behind the scenes. But then she's like, but it's okay though, I get it this competition. I think it's okay to talk about it. It's like, which side are you?
Speaker 1: Like? I get?
Speaker 7: I get, I get exactly what she's saying, because she's saying that, you know, you got these people out here who act like they they down for you, and they down for the culture, and they down for women. When you meet them, you realize that's not really the shape.
Speaker 6: She's saying the industry is fake, which people have been saying since the beginning of the industry.
Speaker 1: The industry is fake, not just for women, for men too.
Speaker 6: I'm sure this guy's oh yeah, that's my guy, and then behind the scenes is I hate that.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: She said that too about the guys too. But I just feel like, well, if that's the case, like pick Asi, like, are you okay with that? Or are you not okay with it?
Speaker 8: I don't think you have a choice but to deal with it. That's just to understand it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 7: You're in this you're in this business, in this game, and that's just how people lost.
Speaker 1: And now you just got to move accordingly, very.
Speaker 4: Much so, because it gets a little especially when you're on top like her. She's huge right now, So moving on. Yrese Terrees is back in the room of report as well.
Speaker 1: So home Deeper, y'all, envy handles, just let me sit back and watch. Go ahead, Lauren and be you okay, I'm great.
Speaker 4: Why did you do that to him?
Speaker 1: Blessed?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Okay, So you guys, remember home tyres came out and said that Home Depot was racist, and he filed a one million dollar racial profiling and discrimination lawsuit. So Home Depot has now responded in legal docs, and Home Depot is saying that Tyrese made a series of false and misleading claims in that womanion dollar racial profiling and discrimination lawsuit that he felt that month. They're saying that the company has surveillance footage from the incident that contradicts a number of claims that Tyrese made. So the first claim is saying that the footage actually shows him at the counter he had, I guess, began to ring up his stuff. He then went back to shop for more stuff and then returned twenty five minutes later. So that's why all of his items were cleared from the checkout area, and they also said that the cashier avoided the items that were being presented because they wanted to help other customers in his absence. You know how that goes, Like when you're shopping for stuff, they can't like hold the line up for too long. They said that he was going for twenty five minutes, so they had to do that. They move on. They also say that this was that Tyrese was very misleading by this in his complaint that a computer glitch caused the transaction to the delay. So basically they're saying everything that he claimed was not true. So the computer glitch, why the items were clear from the front, the I guess the amount of time he took to leave and come back to the register.
Speaker 1: Basically home people say, you ain't getting this four hundred and fifty million dollars you're suing for. That's what they're trying to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but with stuff like this, I understand that you base it off a fact right when you're trying to signe in court. But if he felt that way, how do you tell him that, no, you can't feel that.
Speaker 7: I mean, that's why he's following the lossuit. Yeah, that's why you got it. They're saying they're signing court, so now you got to prove his side in court.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 4: But one of these people is going to win, right, And it doesn't sound like they're fighting back hard. So I don't know if it'll be him, but he still feels that way. You know, really, you ever walked in the store and felt like something happened to you and then you're like, did it or did it not?
Speaker 7: You got to make sure it's just not your feelings. But you know what, I want to see Tyree with four hundred and fifty million dollars. Wouldn't that be amazing? Tyrese Gibson with four hundred and fifty million dollars? Wouldn't y'all like to see that?
Speaker 4: Why are you smart? Like what you're getting at here?
Speaker 1: I'm not getting that nothing. Wouldn't it be amazing to see ty Ree's with four hundred and fifty million dollars? It's anything that would be Are.
Speaker 4: You stirring a pot right now?
Speaker 3: With pot?
Speaker 1: Are not stern any pot? I want to see ty Reese getting his money if he is deserving upset money.
Speaker 8: I think it'd be nice to see anybody with four hundred and fifty million that looked like us.
Speaker 1: Honestly, you don't look like you. You Dominican.
Speaker 8: I'm not Dominican. I'm I'm black, Sir, I'm black. I don't know over here.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well I will see. I'm sure his attorneys will be filing some responses.
Speaker 1: You got nothing else, No, God blessed her racing.
Speaker 8: You said it's sevailus. Cameras, you said.
Speaker 12: It.
Speaker 1: I just said, God bless. I just said God bless. Just ask the questions. We don't need nothing, cameras. I just said, God bless you.
Speaker 4: I can't wait till the shoe on the other foot.
Speaker 7: The shoes always on to the foot. Iin'tven got no shoes. Lord, the shoe, him the shoe exactly.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, Lord have mercy. Well that that's the rumors for right now. God, and we don't let him get to you. God bless things you're doing today.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying God bless. I can't say God blessed and leave it at that. Now, that's all. I go on front page news.
Speaker 8: That's right, front page news, and next I don't want to be joining us.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness. This is a great Friday's Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 2: Good morning everybody.
Speaker 1: It's dj NV, Charllemagne, the God.
Speaker 6: We are to Breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news now. Laura Roast is our special guest host this morning and test. TI Morning, Tess, Good.
Speaker 9: Morning, DJ VY, Good morning, Louren, Good morning, Charlemagne and the God.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 8: Let's jump right into it.
Speaker 6: On my NFL fans, the Trait Lions beat the Package last night, thirty four to twenty. All right, well, let's jump right into it. Let's talk about the first impeachment.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the first impeachment hearing was no information on President Joe Biden. They started this yesterday, the Star Witnesses test to find that they lacked proof that he committed an impeachable offense. Again, didn't bring any information about his conduct or any support for Republicans, accusations that he entered into corrupt overseas business deals, and Texas Representative Jasmine Crockett had a word about it.
Speaker 3: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 16: When we're talking about somebody that's committed high crimes, it's at least indictments. Let's say, thirty two counts related to unauthorized retention of national security secrets, seven counts related to obstructing the investigation, three false statements, one count of conspiracy to the fraud of the United States, falsifying business workers, conspiracy to the fraud of the United States, two counts related to efforts to obstruct the vote certification proceedings, one count of conspiracy to violate civil rights, twenty three counts related to forgery or false document statements, eight counts related to solictening. And I could go on, because he's got ninety one counts depended right now. But I will tell you what the president has been guilty of. He has unfortunately been guilty of loving his child unconditionally. And that is the only evidence that they have brought forward until they find some evidence. We need to get back to the people's work, which means keeping this government open so that people don't go hungry in the streets of the United States.
Speaker 1: And I will yield. Charlemagne. I guess you told them. Yeah, she sounds like, what the hell you're talking about.
Speaker 9: I like her, Well, she told him what time it was when she talks about you know, how we need to be focused on what is happening in this government shutdown. She is absolutely right where the focus should be. I'd have mentioned this last hour, but I wanted to just kind of throw that in so people can know the severity of what we're talking about the shutdown. FEMA is actually cutting disaster Aid right now, you know, as they're preparing for this shutdown, the cutting about eight billion dollars. So there's a disaster and folks need help, you know that emergency help. It's going to hit different when you don't have the money. We also talked about earlier in the week when I covered the story what actually happens with the shutdown. So we're talking about furloughing employees, employees not being paid, having to get paid on the back end, some will never get paid at all if they're not essential employees. And we're talking about jobs possibly being cut as well. So the shutdown is a real thing. It does affect the American people. That trickles down, especially when we're talking about removing a lot of those programs. So this is a real thing that people shouldn't paying attention to this weekend, and I will have an update on Monday.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean nothing about this government. Shutdow says, I care about people. You are not saying you care about the American people if you are willing to let this happen in any way, shape or form, especially.
Speaker 4: Doing right now when every inflation and all that stuff. And I have a friend. When we reported this earlier this week test we talked about it, one of my friends reached out to me and she was talking to me about what she's going through. She's preparing for and she is not going to be paid. She has a son, she has a home, like you know what I mean, And she's literally preparing to go without pay and will still have to work.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, And see that's that's the key.
Speaker 9: You'll want people to know, like that some of these people will not be paid but still have to work, you know. So imagine that. Yeah, imagine that, you know, just going in every week and still you know, having having to wait on your check.
Speaker 4: So that's that that doesn't feel good at all.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Well, now let's jump into Donald Trump. What's going on with Donald Trump?
Speaker 9: Yeah, just want to give a quick update on the Trump racketeering case in Georgia that we've been covering here on Front Page News. A decision was made after Mark Meadows, his former chief of staff, tried to get his case because remember it's several of them that are on trial or will be on trial. He tried to get his case more to the federal court. So once trump attorney seeing that that did not work, then now they said they're just going to go ahead and let it stay in the state court in Atlanta. A lot of people were shocked about this because he was really pushing for the federal uh, for this to be a federal case. You may wonder why it is because federal probably would have again just assumption, would have benefited him more once it would won. It would not have been televised. And two they believe he would have had a possibility for a better jury. But now they're saying, hey, we're going to keep it in state court and it will be televised unlike in federal court, which I think is a good thing. So maybe Trump's folks think is a good thing now as well. His attorney said the decision is based on his well founded confidence that the Honorable Court intends to fulfill and completely protect his constitutional right to a fair trial. So Fani Willis will be moving forward on that, and I look forward to covering that here right on Front page News.
Speaker 2: Keep Fani, you like call.
Speaker 8: The lot is front page News.
Speaker 9: Thank you to let me ask you this before we got uh and DJ Nvy and Lauren them televising it. You think that's gonna benefit who? Who saide he think is gonna benefit or you think Trump is using that, you know to get his people turned up, or.
Speaker 4: I think anything with television or any type of microphone whatsoever. Because he's the most entertaining they're.
Speaker 1: Gonna put on the show.
Speaker 7: I think y'all forget that Donald Trump is a celebrity. He was, He's always been a celebrity. He was the executive producer of Celebrity Apprentice. He loves the fact that there's gonna be cameras in the courtroom. Of course, it's gonna benefit him one hundred percent.
Speaker 9: The Democrats will love it because they said, let's lay it out and look at all the evidence to let the people decide, you know, if it's a good case or not.
Speaker 1: So because nobody cares about facts in this generation. They care about feelings.
Speaker 7: There's nothing you're going to say to change people's mind about Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: And Donald Trump knows that. He told us that years ago.
Speaker 7: Donald Trump, I can go out in the middle of the street shoot somebody in the hand and wouldn't lose any supporters or anything of that nature.
Speaker 1: He knows this.
Speaker 7: Nobody cares about the truth and the liars more entertaining, y'all putting cameras in that court room, y'all giving Donald Trump a chance to entertained.
Speaker 1: And god damnit, he gonna put on the show off.
Speaker 7: Y'all thought Nito Brown testimony was good at the end of New Jack City. Y'all wait till Donald Trump get in that court room. Okay, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that is Front Page News.
Speaker 8: Thank you, tans. You have a great weekend.
Speaker 9: YouTube as will thank you.
Speaker 7: Oh, and make sure you subscribe to Testling Figure's podcast just great shot, No chase of podcasts on the Black Effect. iHeartRadio podcast network and follow it to Teslin Figuro on all social media platforms.
Speaker 6: All right, now, when we come back, the legend Omar Epps will be joining us. We're gonna kick it with Omar EPs. He has a new book. It's called Nubia The Reckoning. Yep, We're gonna kick it with him next and don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning everybody. It's DJ n V Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: We have Lauren la rossa house guest host, and we got a special guest in the building, the legend Omar Epps.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Whatever. It's good to be back.
Speaker 7: Good to see you, my brothers. Nubia The Reckoning this sequel to Nubia Awakening. Yes did you did you always have in your mind to.
Speaker 1: Do a series?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Okay, absolutely from day one, which you know, the first the response to the first book was great and we had this in the tuck so just cooking up.
Speaker 1: Well, what is Nubia the Reckoning about Nubia the Recording, So basically Nubia the.
Speaker 2: Nubia series is about, you know, it's a dystopian futuristic sci fi that follows these three teenagers, these three newbiing teenagers and what's a New New York. It's one hundred years from now and basically their powers start to sprout and it's connected to their heritage, but they don't know that because they weren't told by their parents, so they you know, adolescence is an awkward It was an awkward age for all of us. You're trying to figure stuff out, and then you throw that on their table and then the reckoning they realize what their abilities are and then it's a discussion of what are they going to do with them? You know, are they going to use them for good or bad?
Speaker 6: Now for people that don't know you up here before talking about it, where did this idea even come from?
Speaker 2: It came from me. I had the idea for a long time, for about fifteen years. We live in such a tumultuous world. Man, it just seems just so chaotic. And one day I was just thinking to myself, like, what if love itself was illegal? Like what if it was illegal to love? And then what if love was reborn through this thirteen year old kid who doesn't know he's love. So that's sort of the essence of what I was trying to capture. And then as I started to think more about it and unearthed, you know, it became this cast of these three teenagers. You know, I was picturing We always think about these cataclysms in the world. It's changing, and I'm like, well, there's going to be life after that. There's some forms of what does that look like? Because for those kids in one hundred years from now, whatever's happening for that generation will be normal to them because that'll be the only world they know, right, so they're dealing with it accordingly. And Okay, so this technology is going to be like past what we can fathom. Now, what does that look like? And then I think there'll be a rudimentary element because the basic necessities of human life. It's like food, clothes, and shelter.
Speaker 1: That's never gonna go away.
Speaker 2: So there's always gonna be like, yeah, you're super high tech, but I'm over here analoging it and killing it. And so what happens when those worlds meet? And then what are the human themes that seem to transcend time? So though Nubia takes place in the future, a lot of the themes that we explore, if you go one hundred years prior to now and one hundred years before that, you still were dealing with classes and racism, sexist or all of them isms they and so what I'm trying to do, part of what I'm trying to do with the book is leave a breadcrumb trail for the now generation to say, hey, we did it for a long time a certain way, and we still keep getting the same results. So maybe you guys can flip that moving forward so that we can progress and get better.
Speaker 4: What isms like? You talk a lot about the isms. What is specifically in this book?
Speaker 2: Do you tackle classism? I mean we tackle even immigration to a point, definitely racism, sexism. Because the Nubians are displaced people. Their island nation was destroyed or so they think, stay tuned, and so they're in a new well, what I'm calling a new New York and they are sort of the have nots, and so the people who were here and the color has nothing to do with it. They're just sort of native New Yorkers. I guess, you know, they feel a way about, well, who are these new people? And then as the power starts the spout, they're like, who are these new kids? And why do they have a seated our table? You know, just how society seems to be, which is it's always been perplexing to me because I look at life like this. If a rock big enough hisses planet, it ain't gonna matter. If you got a million dollars or a dollar. Everybody gonna be in the same boat about that.
Speaker 1: When we're on planes.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: If you're in first class, first class though, sure, yeah, everybody regardless of a.
Speaker 4: Class, honestly, But there's a lot of parallels to real life. Like when I'm listening to you talk, I'm like, wow, I remember thinking that, like gentrification, for instance, right when people come into your neighborhood. You're like, yo, who are these people? And how did they just pull up with all this power? And like whatever, how did you know what from real life you wanted to put in this specific book.
Speaker 2: It's what felt natural to me. I didn't set out to write a afro futuristic young adult sci fi book.
Speaker 1: I just.
Speaker 2: That I didn't even know that was a genre. I'm creative, so I just had an idea and I just started digging and digging and writing and writing, and so once it was coming to be, you know, as I got do publisher and everything like that, they were like, oh, it's in this box, and I'm like, I didn't even know that was a thing. So to your to your question in term of why tackle certain themes, it's what felt natural to me. I remember vividly being twelve thirteen, fourteen fifteen, and the things that influenced me for better and for wards. I mean, I think when you're at that age, a lot of what you are is you're a product of your environment and programming. Right, So you're taught one thing at home, and then you in school for eight hours, and then you're in the world and you start to see the paradox of life, the contradictions of life, and then in those experiences you sort of discover who you are. So like for me, growing up, I was revolutionary like but those that remember to show good times. I was like Michael. I had a conviction on what I believe very young, so I wasn't easily persuaded or influenced by external forces other than what was at home. And the idea of being pride about who I am and what I come from meant something to me at a really young age, and that's why I threw out hopefully not just my life, but in my career. Being in a career feel that deals with fame and people see you. I was very acutely aware of how the images that I portray on screen can be ingested. You see what I'm saying, because when I was a kid, there was a difference between good times in the Cosby Show. Good Times was dope to me because their father was in the household and you're talking to a kid that was raised by his moms with no pops. So I saw that. But then it was always like, but he never gets the job. So it was always you left like on a down tick. When Cosby Show came along, I was like, they were up, like she's a lawyer, he's a doctor. They always got food on the tape. They always laughing, even when there's a lesson to be learned. If they find a fun weaight that. I was like, I wanted to do that when I started having kids, I want to that's the model. And this is nothing against anyone in my family or extended family, but seeing that imagery every Thursday meant something to me, absolutely, you know. And I didn't really realize it until I became a father and was building my own family how much influence that had on me. But but I knew a little nugget of you know what when I was young, and you know, the movies were coming like every other day. I was like, I was saying no more than I was saying yes.
Speaker 1: Just because of what the script was and you knew what it was exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's nothing against those other people who may have taken those roles or been involved in those projects. I get it. We're all trying to work at the end of the day. But I just took the long roll, you know, like, nah, I want to do things that I connect to that can hopefully transcend time. But that hit, you know, that stick. It might not be the big shiny thing when it comes out, but it's just gonna stick. Like you know, when you think about John Singleton and you think about what, you know, what we worked on together, it is. It's scary. How if you revisit that project, if you if you see how many issues he was talking about in it, it's really scary and how many things correlate to exactly now. And this was back then, so it was going way over a lot of people's heads, you know what I mean, you're talking about obviously you're talking about racism, but you're talking about mass shooting, you're talking about protecting women, you know, gender identity, like all of these things in that and gated today and we're still And that's that's why I say it's scary. It's scary, you know what I mean. Like and but art has that ability. You know a lot of people, you know, you always say does art imitate life? Or life imitate art? I think the saying sort of is oxymoron. It's it's it gives in take it's both. You know, sometimes life inspires art, and sometimes art definitely can inspire your life, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 2: That's why you can hear a song, or you can see a piece, or there's an art to food. You can eat a meal that will bring a tear to your eye because it brings you back to an immediate place now I was yesterday.
Speaker 4: Tells yes, there you go.
Speaker 6: All right, we got more with Omar Ebbs when we come back.
Speaker 7: Don't move.
Speaker 1: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning.
Speaker 6: Also, ebie K Williams will be joining us next hour and we're gonna be taking your calls eight hundred five five one oh five one. We had a discussion yesterday about some comments she made and let's have a discussion, all right, So we want you to call in.
Speaker 1: Ebonie K Williams will be joining us eight hundred.
Speaker 8: Five A five one oh five one.
Speaker 6: If you want to chop it up with her, if you want to talk to her, And then we got more Omar Epps.
Speaker 8: When we come back.
Speaker 6: It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning everybody. It's cej Envy, Charlamagne, the gud. We are the Breakfast Club. Laura La Ross is our special guest, and we have Omar Ebbs said, but also Ebonie K Williams will be joining us next hour, and we talked about some statements that she said, and Laura La Ross was talking about a lot of people were very passionate. So she's here to discuss. So if you want to talk to Ebonie K Williams, she's gonna be joining us. You could get on the phone lines right now eight hundred five eight five one oh five to one. But right now let's get back into our conversation with Omar Epps. All right, Charlomagne, you know, I love what.
Speaker 7: You just said about the movies because I think about it even with a series like this, because I saw you said you wish this book existed when you were a child. I don't know when the series is going to end, but endings are very important because I think a lot of times in this art. We talk about the problems, but we never talk about the solutions, and there never seems to be a happy ending.
Speaker 1: Whether it's Mine, It's a Society, Boys in the Hood, whatever it was, Juice, there's really no happy ending.
Speaker 2: Well I think maybe because they're trying to teach a certain lesson, a certain angle of the lesson, you know, and then that's making me think about certain songs where like, yeah, they're not showing the glamorous part. They showing the other part, like we used to seeing the rich and poles and all of them and all of that fly stuff, but they're not showing you the heartache that comes along. And so I think things are necessary with Nubia. I do have the ending, but it also is an entry way into film, television, animation, everything you could think of. I have story points that we want to hit. So it's essentially I've created my own universe that hopefully one day can be a kin to like Marvel.
Speaker 7: That's what pains me about the Nubia series though, because I love science fiction and I do feel like it needs to be a film or TV show. I don't know if Hollywood will ever make a real investment into sci fi led.
Speaker 1: By black people.
Speaker 2: I'm not waiting on Hollywood.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: If I was waiting on Hollywood, the book would have never been written. Absolutely, Son, We're gonna do what we do, which is find a way. You know, hey, we made a delicacy out of the scraps, meaning they threw us pig intestines and we made chilling.
Speaker 1: And we made them so good. Make me a plate.
Speaker 2: This is what we do, so hopefully it is in my lifetime. I mean, this is what I'm doing it for. But you know, there's when I say there's more of us, I'm not talking about a color. I mean like minded. They're more like minded people than what we see portrayed in the news and the blogs and stuff like that. So when people put their money where their mouth is and really support one another, then it enables us to go to those next levels to where we don't have to be fully dependent on other systems.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Now, the three main characters of the book, I don't want to say their names wrong, but Chi and ZUBERI thank you. So they are of this first generation to discover these powers. Yes, when I read about that part of it, it made me think about like just being first generation coming from certain like you know, like I'm first generation college student or whatever, and you realize that you really can be put in a dark room and find the light. Right. What is the message in this book to the first generation of anything, like the students, the kids, the you know, I'm first generation to go to college and first generation to buy a house?
Speaker 1: What message millionaires?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like I'm what do they take away from this from this book?
Speaker 2: I mean, there's a lot of things that it takes. I think the one of the main themes for me is the idea of unity. You know, cat suspend twenty five hundred dollars on a belt because it has a certain name on it. But if envy shirt kings or like food bing them back in the day, supreme in them back in the they they say, Yo, the belts five hundred dollars, we like from you brand, I'm gonna go spend triple over there.
Speaker 1: Same quality, right, And then you elevate and you be like, oh, they make all.
Speaker 2: Of these bags and stuff in the same factories, same material, same everything. But because we're blinded by a name which comes with a perception, we don't know how to stand for. I was like, no, we have the spending dollars, So we're gonna spend here where it really matters, and let as killing. Mike's loop always talks about keeping a dollar circulating amongst us first before it goes out right. So the theme of unity on every level. And the other thing I really want the young reader to take away is all the answers are already inside of you. I think we're born into this world in perfect harmony and in perfect balance. Like if we look at the creation, the world as we know it, everything that's alive is like an instrument, and it's this magnificent sense need, and everything plays apart, from an aunt to an elephant to a tree of everything plays apart. The only thing that seems to be playing out of tune is human beings. We're the ones playing out of tune, playing the wrong notes. So I say that to say that the answers are already inside right, They already are permeating through you physiologically and spiritually. Part of the conundrum of life is to then you sort of unlearn what is innately in you product of environment, schooling all of these things, and then you spend your latter life unlearning that. To get back to the source. So I imagine a world where right now college is a four year process. What if one day college is a year process? What could that person do with that other three years in terms of being productive? And if you put a bunch of those type of people together, I mean we're still modeling over I don't know, Twitter and Facebook. It's like I ain't caring cancer though, you know what I mean, what happened? What do we do in a world where like Thailand, on cancer, no matter what kind, just go to pharmacy.
Speaker 1: The spots ain't nothing.
Speaker 2: Imagine how much more productive we could be as a species, Like the fact that we're in two thy and twenty four and people are still hung up on skin color. And again I don't mean white black, this light skinned dolphin stuff.
Speaker 1: Oh that's some license stuff.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: Me and Molly did with that all the time. You call it baby, he'd be here.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But his fault and every time it happens, every time we give you are.
Speaker 1: That's the same thing.
Speaker 8: And I say his complexion.
Speaker 1: They attacked me, but he called me beige, rage beige, beige. Everything under the suns is because but if I.
Speaker 2: Say black anything to him, Yeah, you can't do it?
Speaker 12: S why?
Speaker 1: But I'm black, but what you are black exactly? So what's the problem.
Speaker 2: But this is what I'm talking about, the fact that even dominic.
Speaker 8: I'm not Dominican.
Speaker 1: Stop it. You better stop you claim stop it?
Speaker 2: Man, I got here. You look more than me.
Speaker 1: Thank you you end watching the Heights lady. What Omar said is so true.
Speaker 7: And it's amazing to me that most things that are man made take you out of alignment.
Speaker 2: Yep. And I don't understand that. I mean, it makes sense though, right, it does make sense. That's why when people get caught up in this AI, I'm like, it is.
Speaker 1: It's been made, so the flaws in it, we.
Speaker 2: Just can't see it.
Speaker 12: Yet.
Speaker 2: It ain't nothing to trip over, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And it's about being in tune with with who we are and who we're here to be and what is our purpose. And our purpose is to spread love and spread positive energy. And you get to a point where we all are we still have ambition, we still have drive, but we pushing. It's a hell of a thing to be pushing for yourself and then push for others. When you're pushing for others, now you're really serving your purpose, and it's a really it's a fulfillment that no dollar amount could fill. When just passing off the information or the knowledge to someone and then go and see them walk, run and then fly. It's just a feeling that to me, this is what life is about. One of the grand themes that life is about.
Speaker 7: Oh, I get the less I want. Here you go, you know, because the things that I actually want, money can't buy it or not superficially, you go away, shape or form.
Speaker 12: There you go.
Speaker 1: All right, we got more with Omar Ebbs when we come back, don't move.
Speaker 2: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: Good morning morning. Everybody is dj n V Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. We have Laura La Rosa here, our special guest host, still kicking with Omar Epps. But you having three kids, would you want your three kids to be in the industry acting or music? Would you want them seeing what you've seen? Because you've seen behind the scenes, you pull the curtain back, so would you want them to do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm human, so I think whatever whatever it is, I don't care if you race car drive them Mechannon must drought like we all want our kids to do something other than what be great, you know what I mean, be great at that thing. But underneath it all, I just want them to follow their passion, you know, whatever brings them joy. If it's you know, our young his daughter, she's a singer songwriter, that's her gift. But she's putting in the work for it. And that's the main thing is you know, nothing's gonna come to you easy. But if you're putting in the work for it and that's your passion, I'm behind it.
Speaker 1: See. It's good.
Speaker 6: It's good in a situations like that because mom and dad have been there, so you can guid where maybe you didn't have that guys, maybe your mom didn't know how to look at contracts and look know what to look for, you know. I mean, So it's good that you're there, but it's just, you know, it's it's a difficult thing because you're like, damn distressed that I went through dealing with this in the industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what what you're saying is right in that sense, but realistically it's a totally different world because this is a completely different universe from selling a physical record to a stream and the business in between that correct it's a whole different world. So it's like, yeah, your moms did that, but.
Speaker 4: Not like this is she like are you guys like managing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you at Mom's not right here.
Speaker 2: She's a heavy handed advisor.
Speaker 1: That's what's your favorite method of storytelling? Is it TV? Films or is it books?
Speaker 2: It depends on the story, you know, Like like when I was thinking of Nubia, I saw film, I sot television, I saw all these things, but I knew that's not the delivery system right now. You know what I'm saying, gonna have to crawl through this process, crawl and meaning a good thing. Like there's just so much story this that the depth of the story can only be done in book form in its initial phase. Once that's established to an audience and they're familiar with, oh yeah, that's the bay, then we can take it other places. And so we're still in this is phase one, if you will. But other other than that, I just love art, man. It doesn't matter. Like I said earlier, I think there's an art to cook, and there's an art to everything. There's art to business.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 2: It just depends on you know, what you connect to and what makes you happy, and for me, the prime goal is to is like, I realize the weight of everything that I'm a part of is gonna outlast me. So why am I really doing this? Who am I doing it with? It's not just a self fulfilling thing anymore, you know what I mean. Like, the greatest compliments to this day, the greatest compliments that I received was when people come up to me and say something that I was in, you know, helped them through or inspired them to I had a young doctor come up to me and was talking about a show that I was on medical shows on and they were just like the portrayal of that character helped them through a tough time while they were in med school ready to give up. And to me, I was like getting a million dollar check because I'm like, this is exactly what I do it for, you know what I mean? Like to be able to pass on what was passed on to me.
Speaker 7: I really didn't want to know how you wrap your mind around what's going on in twenty ninety eight.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's to me, it's simple. I think humans are going to human and then geographically, like again, whatever happens in the next twenty thirty years, there's going to be a world after that, So that's creative license. Well, it kind of looking at if we I mean, sadly, if we take a cue from what happened with Sandy, the lower part of the city will be underwater, and then same rules apply. Where's all the money at now uptown? All right, let's ramp that up a little bit. More humans are fused with technology. Let's you know, you get to take creative license. But the more things change, the more they stay the same. Man, you know what I'm saying. Like in the hood, everybody want to talk about new world or order. No, it's one world order. That's the actual term. And that's been for thousands of years. There's always going to be a group of few that try to control the many. It ain't nothing new. There's no conspiracy. It's right there, dead in front of your face. It's just how you perceive it, you know what I mean. But there's something to perceive as well, is that the victory has already won. And whether the listeners, whether you are believer or not, I'm not you know, putting my beliefs on anyone. I'm a believer, and the victory is already won. The table of victory with the most beneficent is already set. So there's a part of us that we're going through the motions. Choose your side, choose wisely, and live your life. And your character is determined by your actions period, you know what I mean. So you know, hopefully when it's my time, my actions will be met by the eternal glory.
Speaker 6: You play so many iconic roles, does it ever, Baldy with somebody calls you wanted the names from the iconic role like I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure you walk down hormes like you. I love it that.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that doesn't bother me at all. I'm when people call me like yo, Mac, I'm like, that's my man's and all that. But I know we look like they.
Speaker 1: Say real, but come on, Bron like Charlamagne yo Mike and like Mike, well.
Speaker 2: I'm like, come on yo, Like that's the.
Speaker 4: Like where is this happenings?
Speaker 2: Just random? Like sometimes I wonder if people are just It's like if someone saw you and they're like, oh.
Speaker 8: I know, Maurice, but nobody have heard marks.
Speaker 7: Chesner said that you know what the chess and I said, somebody called him Charlamage and jenniferchet So, he said, he gets mistaken for me.
Speaker 8: Said, God, damn, Lie, do you see.
Speaker 12: God?
Speaker 1: Why are you upset?
Speaker 4: You signed Dominican in him?
Speaker 2: Do you see it?
Speaker 1: Knock it off?
Speaker 12: Definitely?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta take him up to Washingtons.
Speaker 12: Gotta go.
Speaker 7: Now about who your favorite? Who the best character was? I think your best role with Jay Reed and Too Deep. I think that's a very slept on role. How about I haven't done it yet?
Speaker 1: Oh okay, well there you have it is Omar absolutely appreciate you for joining us.
Speaker 6: Brother books out right now, Nubia the it's the breakfast club the morning morning.
Speaker 1: Everybody is cj Envy, Charlomagne, the Goud. We are the breakfast club.
Speaker 6: Before we jump into the room, as long the roads, our special guest host is here. Evanie K Williams will be joining us next hour. Charlamagne is they're taking over Charlomagne's donkey.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I'm not gonna do donkey today because I told Lauren yesterday that one day she might have to be face to face with Ebanie K. Williams. Okay, and better, it's.
Speaker 4: Excited to do it, I said, I was excited to do it. And we was gonna talk through all the points I had.
Speaker 6: She want to talk to her, that's right. Ebidy K Williams will be joining us, and we're gonna be taking calls. So if you want to talk to Evani K Williams, you can get on the phone lines eight hundred and five A five one oh five to one. You know, something that she said went viral yesterday, people were talking about it was on all the blocks. We're gonna discuss that, and we're gonna allow you guys out there to talk to her as well.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 7: We're gonna allow everybody to talk to Avenue this morning, except for bus drivers because y'all might still hold up. Y'all might still be holding onto something and we're talking about something else.
Speaker 4: Y'all got security here though, because people be rolling up on you at the radio station.
Speaker 1: That's me. I got yeah, callsing problems.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do that shoe.
Speaker 6: You are the shoe, and we do have and we have security outside, so we're not concerned, all right, But let's get to the rooms.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people will recognize the voice to the name from the breakfast club. Lauren came in hot you know, now, Suki Hannah. You guys know Suki Hannah the rapper, she's been up here. That's my girl. And she says she's not sure what made her feel like it was okay to eat a man's boud salad.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't say the whole you can say that basically, she changed her diet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she doesn't want to talk to salad anymore. She Yeah, the dietary changed, salad lords.
Speaker 7: A lot of people are doing healthier dietary tips. You know what I mean, that's a good healthy dietary tip.
Speaker 4: The two pace might not have been getting through all of the after effects either, So maybe that's apparted.
Speaker 1: But it's not even about the act. It's about you don't just do that to anybody.
Speaker 4: She didn't, Suki always said when she was here, she said, when she's with the man, she's in love. So that's her, babe.
Speaker 1: He just wanted sweet one.
Speaker 5: Now, guy, it's no way, it's no way, it's no way. They would have like pink eye or something.
Speaker 1: This time she got to the milk, she said, we so that's a buffet? Was she stupid?
Speaker 4: I don't, y'all, not all you can eat?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, let me tell you something. I don't know the amount of people she was talking about, buffet, single plate, one serving or not. But then she followed up and said, I'm going to do it again. She's back, He's back in the game. That was a quick Yeah, she's back in the game.
Speaker 7: Just like it's like it's like not something you should do all at the time, Like a cheat mill. That's how you used to start treating it. Treat it like a cheatment.
Speaker 4: Some people treat their backsides very well, but days and all that, and now they cheap. It's a cheat mil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cheat me all the time.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right. Well, Britney Spears she recently had fans online very scared for her. She'd posts these videos where she's dancing in her house. Brittany be doing Brittany, Y'll call that dancing. I mean, look, she's right, yeah, that's what she does. I don't know, but she posted a video this time she was dancing, but she had knives in her hand, so fans freaked out. They ended up reaching out to police, who went to her home to do a wellness check just to make sure she was okay, and Britney Spears actually had to come out and speak on it. So she said, I know I spooked everyone with the last post, but these are fake knives that my team rented from the hand pop shop in LA. These are notives. No one needs to worry or call the police. I'm trying to imitate one of my favorite performers, Shakira, a performance I was inspired by. She's talking about Shakira's MTV VMA performance earlier this month.
Speaker 7: You know, I have it on good authority, sources told me, and you should believe me, even though that, even though I'm lying that Britney Spears watches Drink Champs and she loves the episode with Tony Yale, and she watched the episode over and over. And when Tony Aale was on Drink Champs and he talked about members of terror squad, you know, dancing with machetes, dancing with knives, it says that's what inspired the video that she posted.
Speaker 1: But you're telling the truth, but you're lying.
Speaker 7: No, I'm telling the truth, but I'm lying. But the point is this is she watches Drink Champs a lot. She loves that episode with Tony Yo. Britney knows she loves she wants fat Joe to go to her house and deliver her a pair of Terror Squad sneakers because she wants to be a member of Terror Squad.
Speaker 1: So that was her way of saying, hey, I can be down with ts tsbs. You know you're telling the truth, but you're lying.
Speaker 4: So my sources say, I don't want to see Brittany in a two piece and some Terror Squad air first ones in the video.
Speaker 1: I would love to see that, alright, crazy.
Speaker 4: I don't want to see it. Will go crazy. I'm good. I'm good on that. It'll probably metallic too, because she's really trying to up the sneak.
Speaker 7: A black two piece with the blackout Fat Joe Terror Squad sneakers dancing with knives would be incredible.
Speaker 1: That'd be more incredible than Bill Clinton wearing a Bill Clinton had him on.
Speaker 6: They did, all right, well that is your rumor report. Now when we come back, Charlemagne is not doing this donkey today. That's because Ebony K.
Speaker 8: Williams will be.
Speaker 1: Joining Judge Ebony K.
Speaker 6: Williams, and we're gonna discuss a lot today and we're gonna be taking your calls to eight hundred and five eight five one on five to one.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: Yesterday she made some statements that went viral, and we're gonna we're gonna talk about it. We're gonna discuss, So get on the phone lines right now. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same. Good morning, everybody, you steej Envy, Charlomagne, the God.
Speaker 1: We are the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 6: We have Laura Lea Rosa here, our special guest host, and we got a special guest with us today. We had a topic talking about some statements that she said. Ladies and gentlemen, Williams, don't nobody stir it up?
Speaker 3: What's up, Envy?
Speaker 12: What's up?
Speaker 4: Sharp?
Speaker 3: Good morning, NB. I was going to be very very pissed and disappointed if you weren't skyping in so why well, because I didn't know if I'd ever be back up here to be candide.
Speaker 1: Why it was?
Speaker 12: It was?
Speaker 3: It was tight last Yeah, but God is good. I came with my God leon you god lyon, We're good. It's really God is good.
Speaker 1: I would say this.
Speaker 6: You know, every time we have a conversation, we're always not going to agree, but you're always invited up here regardless. I mean, we're not going to agree on everything, but the best thing about it is just having a conversation. So never think that you can't come up here for something. You say, No, that's what these conversations and these platforms are about.
Speaker 3: I'm half playing, but it's a good point and it's it's worth saying out loud. So I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: And I love you, sister. I don't I don't want you to think I don't love you. I love you for real. I appreciate everything that you do.
Speaker 3: And it's just like anything else. You go hardest in the pain with your family.
Speaker 1: So in the paint and in the paint that's on your face. And shut up.
Speaker 4: I'm happy here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, I would love to have a conversation with you about the video.
Speaker 7: Now, what's the topic of conversation. I feel like this is a conversation that men shouldn't even be involved in. What is the gist of the conversation.
Speaker 3: It's not for you, Charlomagne. So I'm glad that you said that this is a conversation for ladies. And I texted my good friend Charlemagne. I said, it's a friend of the show. I heard the conversation yesterday. I appreciated the critique and the constructive nature of it, and I said, you know, said something down the street on the train. Let me pull up, and I want to hear from you, Lauren, about what you agree with and what you disagree with and have a lady's conversation about let's do it.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I think for me, I start with the what I disagree with?
Speaker 6: Well, Kim first, for people that don't know, you want to you want to play the clip of of what went viral.
Speaker 4: So people understand that clip to bring everybody up this rad.
Speaker 8: You got the clip, let's play the clip.
Speaker 12: Rad.
Speaker 3: The reality is that our marriage and partnership market value is depreciating with every passing year. No matter how good we look, no matter how fit we are. It are still seeing primarily our presumed dwindling fertility as a knock against us. So here's my advice. If you are a young black woman in college and you know in your heart and in your head that you want to prioritize family, I suggest that you simultaneously pursue that mrs degree right along with that BA or JD. Because a handful of black college age men that actually do desire to get married soon, and they do share that value system and family is a priority for them too.
Speaker 1: Y'all.
Speaker 3: That is an incredibly small pool, and it's shrinking as you get older, and by the time you reach my age forty, you will be faced with different choices relating to life, partnership, and motherhood.
Speaker 4: So I think, all right, so breaking it down into what I agree and what I disagree with. So the disagreeing for me came with the starting with the infertility and the market value they're appreciating. So with the infertility, I'm I said this yesterday. Some stuff is science, right, you can't get around that. But I feel like when you start with that and you lead with that, it then makes people get defensive and they don't even hear.
Speaker 3: The rest of it.
Speaker 4: I know, when I first listened to it, I was like, oh God, this is going to be another one of those conversations where like someone's telling me, as a woman, by the time you get this age, your life is over. And you know when you're when you're like trying to figure things out, and you're like, I'm thirty one years old, right, Like I'm recently out of a very long relationship you want to feel, not.
Speaker 3: Charla Jesus, but I feel there's life after go ahead.
Speaker 4: But that's my point. It's like for me, I made a very conscious decision with a lot of things in my life, going to college, being in the relationship that I was in, not being in that relationship. Even with my like recent you know, back and forth to East coast West coast, like, I've always had to be very conscious and cognizant of the fact that, like you know, as a woman, as a black one, right, especially working in the space that I work in, I might not get that that other chance, Like I gotta do it right the first time. And I think talk about professionally, professionally and personally, okay, and only because that's.
Speaker 3: What are your personal goals? Just so we're clear. Do you want marriage? I want married, and I want yes, family foundation, I want all of that.
Speaker 4: I don't even have a number of kids. Once we start, we start just yeah, but yes, I'm going to be an amazing mom. But I just feel like when you lead with the stuff that you lead with, it instantly turns the conversation negative. And for someone like me who is watching and learning and listening to you, it makes it where now I am defensive. I don't want to watch, listen and learn. I don't hear the rest of what you're saying. So now I'm not being taught, and I should feel like I can listen to you and learn from you and not feel like you're the op right. And that's how it starts off, when you instantly are telling me everything negative about what I already am facing every single day. And I think that that's a big part of it too. It's like when you put certain troops in front of people, it hurts, people don't want to hear it. But beyond that, you can't get around the infertility. The second thing was the market value. Right. I don't agree. Right. I don't know where you were at thirty one. But for me, I feel like I'm just now getting to the space where like the people that I'm able to or not even able to, but the people that I'm dating, the life experiences that I'm experiencing that are teaching me what I want, what I don't want. I'm right now in the best space that I've ever been in, and that wasn't me in college. I didn't know what I wanted. In college, I didn't know who I was in college. I see nothing, haven't done anything. I also, I didn't agree with that, but.
Speaker 3: Yea assist because you put two big ones out and let's break them down before we get ahead of ourselves. Okay, so you're thirty one years old, a college educated woman enjoying a very successful career in a high profile space. I'm going to put my hands together for all of that. Now when I say market value depreciating, Lauren, did you hear what I said before that? Did you hear the specificity of the particular marketplace I'm speaking about?
Speaker 4: No, which was that?
Speaker 3: Okay, so I want to just go back actually to your first point, Lauren, which I think you are conceding that you had a reaction to my commentary that was so visceral in nature that you actually shut down your listening comprehension skills.
Speaker 4: He said that.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So because of that, though, right, I'm not going to sit in a posture of ownership because you made a choice to be limited in the way in which you received, in process the information. Now, you are grown woman, and you have a toonomy over what you choose to consume and what you choose to not consume. So when I was giving the advice, the strategy the game, putting you know, certain people up on some game. I'm talking to a very limited pool of young black ladies, the ones that are currently in school or immediately following school or graduate school. And then the other caveat, I'll say, the other place this information is in real time relevant to are the mothers or even the fathers of those young women.
Speaker 4: That's who this is for. So you, this is actually not even applicable to you, Lauren. So so you know, let me finish waiting before you finish your thoughts. I also think to the reason why people also because not just me or the people, because even the people it's meant for, I'm sure some of them did the same exact thing as well. They're not right and some did not.
Speaker 3: Because I's not right because you read all the comments.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah I did. But I think what happens is with you and I saying this in the most respectful way. I think that the way that you approach things like even this conversation right now, it can make it does that it dilutes the whole point of like you, for you talking to me specifically, I agree with certain parts of it, but I think that the my whole point is what I'm saying, right, because right now I feel like you're taking what I didn't agree with, and the fact that I don't remember specific words or whatever.
Speaker 3: I'm not, Lauren, Really, I really think this would be better served and more productive if just like I, it's kind of like an opening statement in a court of law. I gave you a good amount of time to lay out two prongs of disagreement, and I respect and appreciate both of your positions. I'm not saying they are wrong, but I am saying that I don't know how productive it is to be the time manner and delivery police. Right. So when we talk about and also the nature of this work that we all do in this space of media and journalists, whatever we want to call it, right, it's very subjective in nature. So for everybody, Lauren that takes your position, which is very valid, it was visceral to me. I found it triggering. It felt hurtful, I felt attacked, I felt policed, I felt shut it.
Speaker 1: On whatever it is.
Speaker 3: There's also a whole nother contingency of black women that felt seen by that commentary, that felt heard. I had sores coming up to me. We had a fundraiser shout out to the pi Kapa Maga chapter of Alphakapa Offics already incorporated Ski. We had a fundraiser that very night that that commentary dropped, and I had sores coming up to me, who are more in my age group, right, because that's the first thing we need to acknowledge. Lauren and I are not the same age. There's a good ten years between me and this love of young lady. So I'm speaking from a purview of experience that looks a bit different, not vastly so, but a bit different. I agree, And my peers who are forty ing up are like I wish someone would have told me. And the fact that you are doing the labor Ebany, you are doing the service of letting young girls that are currently in position to put themselves in best practices because they are currently in school or graduate school or shortly thereafter matters. And it's good that somebody is rolling up their sleeves and doing the work and having the conversation publicly that quiet as kept many pockets of black elite culture are having with their children generationally every day.
Speaker 6: We got to take a break, so we'll come back, and we also want to take some calls. Eight hundred and five five one five one, And if you just join us, that's Laura la Rossi. She's our special guest host today and Ebony K. Williams is up here.
Speaker 1: And I think it's very important when we've come back, let's talk about what we agree with this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want correct to that too, because I don't want you to feel like because what yeah back.
Speaker 6: Okay, all right, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 6: Everybody is j env Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club on this Friday. We have laurenla Rosa, our special guest hosts that we have Ebanye K. Williams joining us this morning, and we're taking your calls as well. Eight hundred and five eight five one oh five one. Now we're discussing some comments that Ebid K Williams made that went viral yesterday. So now right before we left, I cut both of you guys off so we can pay some bills to get some music on.
Speaker 1: So I know, Ebany K Williams, you were talking.
Speaker 3: I was so I was acknowledging Lauren's right right to consume content that she enjoys and feels comfortable with and also reject that which she does that because her critique at this point, I understand is is a bit about my It's about my delivery as much as the substance of what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I think that the disagreement again comes in with how you say it, and we don't get that vulnerability right. So me sitting here with you right now is like, this is what I want to feel when I say the content. I might not always get that though, and maybe it's not like you said. It wasn't for me it was for the girls that's still in college, right, But at the same time it's placed on my timeline. So I get it and I feel it, and I stop and I listen either way.
Speaker 3: But I'm glad you do shout out to the team at the grill. Go ahead, but you But I was going to get to that.
Speaker 4: But what I did agree with was the fact, like when you started talking about the pool of men getting smaller, when it comes to those men who men who will be honest about what they want when it comes to the family a woman, they are actually worth the time, the energy. It's it's consistent you're getting the same energy that you're putting out. It does get smaller as you get older. And like, now that I'm out here in the dating world, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Oh, okay, keep in mind, you're only thirty thirty one, and it's like as you get to forty that that the pole the pool has struck further, fifty even more so.
Speaker 4: And I've dated, I'm having a man from fifty, I'm having a man.
Speaker 3: But listen, I'm not even I got I actually believe in the power of the talk. So I believe. So you speak, so you you have and you will desire. I do want to speak to the fertility park because it's very important.
Speaker 12: It is.
Speaker 3: As I sit here with y'all today, you know I'm literally on some fertility drugs. I am preparing for my embryo transfer in the next few weeks. Now, I am forty years old. Just turned forty a couple of weeks ago. Y'all know, I've been very transparent about my motherhood journey. I'm doing it solo by choice. Y'all know our froze eggs at thirty four years old. I'm doing this. I'm excited to be a mom. I'm scared as hell. I know it's gonna be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and yet I cannot wait to enter this mother era of my life. And also, Lauren, I don't think this is how most black women want to do it. I don't why solo by choice? Well, several reasons. Number one, I'm no longer willing to wait to activate my pursuit of motherhood. I'm no longer willing to wait. I've been married and divorced in my late twenties. I had also a long term relationship many years ago. I ended up engagement during the pandemic. I'm ready for my baby. I am ready to pour into someone other than me. Finally, it took me very long time to get here. But when she ready, she ready. Okay. Now, I don't think that most women, most black women, desire doing this journey alone.
Speaker 12: I don't.
Speaker 3: It's very important. And I know that you mentioned yesterday the egg freezing, So let's talk about that, yeah, because I think that that is marketed, not just you, Lauren, I think in general that is in a lot of these comments. Right, Well, girl, just freeze your eggs and don't worry about the rest that that's some bully, because I'm here to tell you because I'm living it. Right. I froze eggs at thirty four. I never thought in a million years I would need to use them, right because why I was in a loving, committed relationship. These were my spare Have you frozen eggs at this point, dude?
Speaker 4: No, I thought about doing it last year. I thought about starting the process.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let me just and this is not investigative, this is I'm just trying to see something here. Do you know how many eggs on average a woman should have on ice on reserve frozen for a probability of one live birth? No, I don't about twenty. Then if I say, say, okay, how many egg retrievals are required to get about twenty eggs and a woman that's say thirty five and up, the answer is at least two. What's the cost average of an egg retrieval? Amy probably knows this, but he knows it's between twelve and fifteen thousand dollars per retrieval cycle.
Speaker 1: Diverse insurances don't cover.
Speaker 3: Most insurances do not cover unless you're working at Google or Amazon. And by the way, you probably need to be married for them to cover it. Otherwise they consider it elective. They don't recognize it as infertility in the way that married couples that struggle to conceive has. So what I'm saying is the egg freezing route, the single motherhood by Choice route, the IVF route are amazing technological tools, Lauren, but they are wealthy women tools period. Let's be very clear. It's just more to it than just freezing it.
Speaker 4: I get you, I think with that part. For me, I was speaking from my own personal experience, and I think that like hearing you respond to it, I can understand your response to what I said, but I think maybe I should have been a little bit more clear because for me at that I have the money. At that time when I was thinking about doing it, it was because the insurance that I was getting through my employer supported that to a certain extent, where anything like, yes, it is expensive, but I would have been able to figure it out.
Speaker 3: So it was think you should still do it. I want that to I don't want that missed here. I'm still encouraging you to do I.
Speaker 4: Will say I got a little bit, I got like scared out of it, A little bit only be caused out of God, don't do that. But but more so because of what like MV shared with me, what you talked about, like going through all of that, and then I'll go with you to not work, right, I'll go with you. We can talk about I'm very serious. Really, So I'm saying two things here, and this is important this conversation, y'all. People have got I encourage people, I'll say, to hold space for more than one thing at one time.
Speaker 1: Now, I feel like whatever you just said now is very important.
Speaker 7: All Ebony is saying is this is an ideal and you don't want it's not it's not you don't want folks to have to necessarily go through that for me.
Speaker 3: Let me just reiterate that, because that's very important because this is this is these these stakes are very high Lorn. I'm fifty thousand dollars into IVF journey I myself, so I don't have a husband splitting that with me, which I which there's reasons why that's preferable for me. But I really need people to hear that. And I'm taking shots and I'm giving them to myself, and I'm doing all this to bring life into this world. And I don't take it lightly because it's a very serious thing. So I think when we were very cavalier, not not just you, right, but in general with old just I v for oh, just marry outside the race obviously been there, done that too. That that well, I heard some snow no king commentary.
Speaker 1: Holdo, guys, guys, we got to take some calls, and we gotta take some throws. We gotta take some calls.
Speaker 3: You watch if you listen.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's we gotta take some calls when we come back. And I just want to say this. I just want to say this.
Speaker 6: Most people don't know what what Ebony's going through right now with the with the viture fertility.
Speaker 1: Because you know, because most people haven't been through it, and the.
Speaker 12: Fact that.
Speaker 3: The people that listen to whole the court, they every day.
Speaker 6: The fact that she has to do it by herself is a lot, like she has to put them shots in her stomach and all that by herself. Than most people don't know it, Like I can't even imagine if my wife had to do it by herself, or a woman having to do it by herself.
Speaker 8: And goes through this doctor's appointment, so it.
Speaker 3: Is a room by yourself, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine it in a transcript. We'll we'll take some calls when we come back.
Speaker 4: Got to talk about this stuff that we agreed with too, because a lot of people agree with something.
Speaker 3: That you should have called upon to get to some of it.
Speaker 1: But you got all that much time, guys. Eight hundred five five one five one. Let's go.
Speaker 6: It's the Breakfast Lub the morning morning. Everybody is DJ Envy Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club on this Friday. We have Laurla Rosa our special guest host, and we have ebanie K Williams joining us this morning, and we're taking your.
Speaker 1: Calls as well. Eight hundred and five A five one oh five one.
Speaker 6: Now we're discussing some comments that ebide K Williams made that went viral yesterday. So now right before we left, I cut both of you guys off so we can pay some bills and get some music on.
Speaker 1: So I know, ebidy K Williams, you were talking.
Speaker 3: I was so I was acknowledging Lauren's right right to consume content that she enjoys and feels comfortable with and also reject that what she does that because her critique at this point, I understand is a bit about my It's about my delivery as much as the substance of what I'm saying. I think that the.
Speaker 4: Disagreement the game comes in with how you say it, and we don't get that vulnerability right. So me sitting here with you right now is like, this is what I want to feel when I see the content. I might not always get that though, and maybe it's not like you said. It wasn't for me, it was for the girls that's still in college, right, But at the same time, it's placed on my timeline. So I get it and I feel it, and I stop and I listen either way.
Speaker 3: But I'm glad you do shout out to the team at the griot.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, but you are.
Speaker 4: But I was going to get to that. But what I did agree with was the fact, like when you started talking about the pool of men getting smaller, when it comes to those men who men who will be honest about what they want when it comes to the family a woman, they are actually worth the time, the energy. It's consistent, you're getting the same energy that you're putting out. It does get smaller as you get older, and like now, that I'm out here in the dating world, I'm like, oh, okay, keep in mind, you're only thirty thirty one, So it's as you get to forty there that the pulp the pool has shrunk further fifty even more so.
Speaker 3: And I've dated.
Speaker 4: Listen, I'm not even I got.
Speaker 3: I actually believe in the power of the tongue.
Speaker 1: So I believe.
Speaker 3: So you speak, so you you have and you will desire. I do want to speak to the fertility park because it's very important. It is as I sit here with y'all today, uh you know, I'm literally on some fertility drugs. I am preparing for my embryo transfer in the next few weeks. Now. I am forty years old, just turned forty a couple of weeks ago. Y'all know, I've been very transparent about my motherhood journey. I'm doing it solo by choice. Y'all know our froze eggs at thirty four years old. I'm doing this. I'm excited to be a mom. I'm scared as hell. I know it's gonna be the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and yet I cannot wait to enter this, this this mother era of my life and also, Lauren, I don't think this is how most black.
Speaker 4: Women want to do it, right. I don't why solo by choice?
Speaker 3: Well, several reasons. Number one, I'm no longer willing to win eight to activate my pursuit of motherhood. I'm no longer willing to wait. I've been married and divorced in my late twenties. I had also a long term relationship many years ago. I ended up engagement during the pandemic. I'm ready for my baby. I am ready to pour into someone other than me. Finally. It took me a very long time to get here. But when she ready, she ready. Okay. Now, I don't think that most women, most black women, desire doing this journey alone.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 3: It's very important. And I know that you mentioned yesterday the egg freezing, So let's talk about that, yeah, because I think that that is marketed, not just you, Lauren, I think in general that is in a lot of these comments. Right, Well, girl, just freeze your eggs and don't worry about the rest. Now that's some bully, because I'm here to tell you because I'm living it. Right. I froze eggs at thirty four. I never thought in a million years, I would need to use them, right, because why I was in a loving, committed relationship. These were my spare Have you frozen eggs at this point, dude.
Speaker 4: No, I thought about doing it last I thought about starting the process.
Speaker 3: Okay, So let me just and this is not investigative, this is I'm just trying to see something here. Do you know how many eggs on average a woman should have on ice on reserve frozen for a probability of one live birth? No, I don't about twenty. Then if I say, okay, how many egg retrievals are required to get about twenty eggs and a woman that's say thirty five and up, the answer is at least two. What's the cost average of an egg retrieval? Amy probably knows this, but he knows it's between twelve and fifteen thousand dollars per retrieval cycle.
Speaker 1: Dimost insurances don't cover.
Speaker 3: Most insurances do not cover unless you're working at Google or Amazon. And by the way, you probably need to be married for them to cover it. Otherwise they consider it elective. They don't recognize it as infertility in the way that married couples that struggle to conceive half. So what I'm saying is the egg freezing route, the single motherhood by Choice route, the IVF route are amazing technological tools, but they are wealthy women tools. Period. Let's be very clear. It's just more to it than just freezing it.
Speaker 4: I get you, I think with that part. For me, I was speaking from my own personal experience, and I think that like hearing you respond to it, I can understand your response to what I said, but I think maybe I should have been a little bit more clear because for me at that the way I have the money at that time when I was thinking about doing it, it was because the insurance that I was getting through my employer supported that to a certain extent, where anything like, yes, it is expensive, but I would have been able to figure it out. So I would think you should still do it. I want that to I don't want that missed here. I'm still encouraging you to do I will say I got a little bit. I got like scared out of it a little bit only because of God, don't do that, but but more so because of what like MV shared with me, what you talked about, like going through all of that and then it I'll go with you to not work, right, I'll go with you. We can talk about I'm very serious, really, So I'm saying two things here, and this is important this conversation, y'all. People have got I encourage people, I'll say, to hold space for more than one thing in one time.
Speaker 7: Now, I feel like whatever you just said now is very important. All Ebony is saying is this is an ideal and you don't want it.
Speaker 12: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's not you don't want folks to have to necessarily go through.
Speaker 4: That for me.
Speaker 3: Let me just reiterate that, because that's very important, because this is this is these these takes are very high lorn. I'm fifty thousand dollars into IVF Journey by myself, so I don't have a husband splitting that with me, which I which there's reasons why that's preferable for me. But I really need people to hear that. And I'm taking shots and I'm giving them to myself, and I'm doing all this to bring life into this world. And I don't take it lightly because it's a very serious thing. So I think that when we were very cavalier, not not just you, right, but in general with oh, just IVF for oh, just marry outside the race. Obviously been there, done that too. That that well, I heard some snow no King commentary.
Speaker 1: You guys. We gotta take some calls. We gotta take some calls. We gotta take some calls.
Speaker 3: Because get this, you watch if you listen. Okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: We gotta take some calls when we come back. And I just want to say this, I just want to say this.
Speaker 6: Most people don't know what what Ebany's going through right now with the with the in vitro fertility. You know, because you know, because most people haven't been through it.
Speaker 1: And the fact that.
Speaker 3: People that listen to whole the court, they can know every day.
Speaker 1: But the fact that she has to do it by herself is a lot.
Speaker 6: Like she has to put them shots in her stomach and and all that by herself, thank you. Most people don't know it, Like I can't even imagine if my wife had to do it by herself, or a woman having to do it by herself.
Speaker 8: And goes to those doctor's appointment so a.
Speaker 3: Room by yourself, it's a lot.
Speaker 4: I can't imagine that.
Speaker 1: TRANSFER will take some calls when we come back.
Speaker 4: Got to talk about the stuff that we agreed with to because a lot of people agree with something that you should get to.
Speaker 9: Some of it.
Speaker 6: But got all that much time, guys, five five one five one, let's go. It's the Breakfast Club the morning morning. Everybody is the Envy Charlemagne.
Speaker 1: Thea Goud.
Speaker 6: We are the Breakfast Club. Our special guest host Laura la Rossa is here and Ebony K. Williams is still here. We're having a grown up disc USh this morning, and we're opening up the phone lines and gonna let h you guys out there get a chance to chop it up with Ebanie K.
Speaker 1: Williams.
Speaker 6: All right, eight hundred five A five one oh five to one, and we just want to say it's a respectful conversation.
Speaker 1: So as soon as the disrespect happens, we're banging on us right right now. Okay, let's rovigate has happened. We're on to something else. Now you stop it.
Speaker 4: Charlemagne.
Speaker 1: Hello, who's this Alicia?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 1: Alicia?
Speaker 8: Good morning?
Speaker 15: Hey?
Speaker 1: How are you good? Good? Good?
Speaker 2: Evan K.
Speaker 1: Williams to say, hey, you got you got a question comment?
Speaker 13: Oh well, I just kind of wanted to agree with her first of all, and she stated that if this is what you want and you're like, this is what I suggest. So she was not pushing that on anyone. But if we're being honest, that's what I counterpartsiach their girls so go to college and find a husband. The education is almost taking their especially white Silvern women. So I don't fee a problem with it.
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Thank you, sir? Absolutely is true. So you know, I went to UNC Chapel Hill, a very predominantly white institution in the South, as the good sister just mentioned, and that ring before Spring is serious for them what they're looking to do. Because our counterparts tend to view marriage primarily through a lens of economic stability. Let's be clear, and historically we know that is the nature of marriage, correct, It's a transaction of sorts. And I know, once again, you know, the tears are gonna roll when I say that out loud for some because because they they are not willing to really stand in the reality of the tenets of marriage in America today.
Speaker 4: Pay mortgage, right, So that's.
Speaker 3: That's the reality. And our counterparts do it all the time. The difference is they are not shamed when they do it. I think that when you see black girls and black young women going and making the space for marriage as as much of a priority as education. It flies in the face of a generation that told me and mine, go to school, stay focused, don't get pregnant. Boys are a distraction, right, They're gonna throw you off your game. Get your education, get your money, get your house, get your power, figure out who you are, stand in it, and then go partner and get married and live happily ever after. The challenge with that, because that's the model I took. I'm proud to have taken it. I had a little default starting marriage that was not for me, so I divorced him. Not a problem, great guy. Here's the thing. Here's the thing is most Black women do want the traditional marital, nuclear family model. And when you get to a certain level of income as black women, a certain level of power, a certain level of being able to travel the world on your own dime and be in the sky lounge without some dusty sun swipe, that's okay. The shrinking happens. And also, I'm gonna tell you what else you move, differences you move. You think your swag is on a thousand today and it's very high, and I love seeing it. Wait till you, wait till you're over that million dollar a year mark of income, Wait till it's like, wait till you own your your one point seven million dollar property in your own name and only your name is.
Speaker 1: On the deed based on a true story.
Speaker 3: That's it's saying, nobody's gonna be able to tell you unless they're coming all the way correct, period, and that's going to make that pool rather even smaller.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yes, who's this Sophia?
Speaker 8: Hey, Sophia, what's your question for k Williams?
Speaker 17: Not question? Well, that's a question. I have a few things, like how were you raised? I was seeing I've seen that you were forty I'm forty eight. I'm a black woman raised with black women. We were not raised to go look for a man. We weren't raised to just go look for a ring. Oh my god, I just have to have a man. We were raised to respect ourselves, to love God, and if God shaw fit for us to be married, our husband would find us. Like, it's like you put your failures or how that you seem like you failed because you didn't get a ring in college, but you putting it off on other women, especially black women. I don't know any other race. But that's not how I was raised.
Speaker 3: Okay response, Yeah, good morning, good sis. So listen, I was raised by god fearing, incredible black women named Gloria, who raised me to go to school, go to more school, get the bag, and stand in my truth and power. So that's the first answer to your question. As for failure, I don't have any in the space, dear. I actually was married. I had a beautiful cushion cut diamond on my finger until I decided to give it back because I no longer wanted to be married. So I don't have failure in the space. The only reason I'm not married is because I divorced my husband.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 3: As to putting this on black women, I'm doing no such thing. What I know for fact, because I have sorority sisters, I have good friends. I have a strong global sisterhood of black women who tell me. Some of them tell me that despite their success, despite their careers, and despite their money, they in their car to hearts still desire marriage. It is something that they want. And I think we got to get rid of shaming black women for wanting what they want. For the black women that that is already a desire of their heart to be married in a timely fashion. That's who this advice is for. If you don't want that, I want nothing but what you want for yourself.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people take the stance that she took because you literally like a lot of people don't know certain things, right, they don't listen. But I also think that say they part one more time, they don't know certain things that they don't listen. But another important point is I think a lot of people take you just as a personality and all that you have going on as like you look and speak down on people. And I think with black women's instantly triggering because we've had that happen so much, right, And that's why that happens where she's like, well, how were you raised? Like even the way that she came into that call was like you think that you're better or do you think that you're doing something that other people have not done?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 4: And I think that happens a lot with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a projection. Yeah, so I'm forty right, So none of that's new, Lauren. Just so you know, like when you walk through the world carrying yourself the way I do, having my aesthetic projections and presumptions about who I am and what my values are come with the territory.
Speaker 4: But that's also why I do the work I do. I got one hundred episodes of Holding Court. People can watch.
Speaker 3: I'm on every day here locally in New York Channel fifty five eleven thirty AM Equal Justice with Judge Ebanie. Yes, I'm judging you, and several other things. I got two books out ben.
Speaker 1: Back what you said, Annie, I saw Equal Justice in Vegas?
Speaker 3: You saw yeah, Yes, naturally syndicated. I'm in eighty five percent of American home. So there's lots of content to consume.
Speaker 8: Well, let's go to another call of Hello.
Speaker 12: Who's saying, ah right?
Speaker 13: My name is.
Speaker 1: Hey, Tish. What's your question for Abane King Williams.
Speaker 13: It's not a really good question.
Speaker 18: I'm just saying I'm well, first of all, good morning and everybody. I just want to say that I am team Ebane, and I don't see anything that she's saying is wrong. She's lessing her platform. Everyone who follows.
Speaker 17: Her knows that.
Speaker 18: As an old woman, I'm just giving you advice. I've been there, I've been through college, and this is my feelings based on my experiences, and I just feel like she should be respected for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, thank you for calling Mama.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Sys, Thank you so much.
Speaker 14: Have a good day.
Speaker 1: So let's put a button on this man, because I strapped this up.
Speaker 3: I appreciate listen. I appreciate the platform. I appreciate the conversation.
Speaker 2: I need to.
Speaker 3: I think that as black women in particular, we got to hold the space to have the difficult conversation.
Speaker 1: All right, well, we appreciate you joining us and holding court podcast.
Speaker 3: We're back with season three soon.
Speaker 4: I mean, did I keep the same energy?
Speaker 1: I don't know. Man, was shrunk a little bit for I asked you.
Speaker 6: I don't know why.
Speaker 1: You watch Equal Justice too?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you, take your local listings, sending bameback.
Speaker 6: Nyla will be joining us past the auks. It don't go anywhere. It's a Friday, Thank you, ladies. It's the breakfast club.
Speaker 3: Hilarious, the breakfast club.
Speaker 1: We are stuck in the bigotry of expectations.
Speaker 4: What did she say about me? Because I want to put that on the T shirt. Oh my goodness, the mediocrity.
Speaker 1: Morning, everybody. We are the breakfast club. Laura Le Ross is our special guest.
Speaker 2: Whole m. D. K.
Speaker 1: Williams just left. Good morning.
Speaker 8: Now it's time for past the Awks.
Speaker 2: It's time for past Yacht with J.
Speaker 1: Yeah, DJ, well, actually without young Man, Yeah without. NILA's not here, but we're gonna hold it down for her. Okay, So we're all gonna pick a song. You want to hear that?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, yep, yep. Okay, you want to start? Okay, Yeah, so.
Speaker 6: I will start a little Yachty featuring J Cole that released the new record it's called The Secret Recipe.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: I love J Cole hopping on everybody's record and giving them them features that they need.
Speaker 1: I want to hear how Yachty sound on that with J Cole. I want to hear if Yachty snapped him that it.
Speaker 4: Sounds good hit a record, he sound good. J Cole's versus the verse are like talking about though. He has a point in that verse where he says that he feels like the activist hope that we stay in oppression so they can keep getting rich. There's a lot in there people better.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna say all activists feel that way, but I do feel like there's some people who wouldn't know what to do if there was actual solutions. It's kind of like when Wiley Coyoi finally catches the roll Runner. You haven't seen that episode. He finally caught the role runner and he held him for one second and didn't.
Speaker 1: Know what to do with him. You've been chasing it for so long, chasing so long you even know what to do with it when you called him.
Speaker 4: Let them go, like the women that's out here trying to find the marriages that Ebony talking about. Once we get him talking about you, I'm talking about you, just throwing us.
Speaker 1: Well, let's get into another sow. Who get the next pick?
Speaker 12: Ahead?
Speaker 4: Lauren? So the next song? I actually got to preview this one yesterday. Shout out to U D d Air and say less c MG. The label dropped a compilation album and there's a song on there with money Back, My Money Back, I'm Sorry with Glover La and Fabio and it's called that Fire.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's hard, that's hard, And now what do you got, Charlomte? What's your pick? Oh man, somebody country music give me that call.
Speaker 7: Let me tell you something, man, I don't know if y'all know what's going on in these streets. Broke up, but in Sink just dropped the new record man and Sink dropped the new records from the Trolls Band Together soundtrack and Sink and Justin Timberlake.
Speaker 4: Bro, that's the first colapp in like decades, I'm telling.
Speaker 1: You, from the Trolls Band Together soundtrack. And baby, I'm confused. Isn't Justin Timberlake in InSync? Yeah?
Speaker 8: But feature Justin Timberlake.
Speaker 1: Why wouldn't they after all these years it should say that, you don't think so, come on now.
Speaker 4: I felt like it was a little shady, but maybe they did it for the search reasons.
Speaker 8: True, true, Justin Timberlake.
Speaker 4: Because it's always been said that Justin Timberlake never wanted to reunite with them because he likes to keep himself separate because he is the breakout star. And now y'all finally do a song together and it's the in sync and Justin Timberlake in sync was a part of Justin Timberlake.
Speaker 1: I think y'all focused on the wrong things.
Speaker 4: I mean, Sink, I mean Justin Timberlake was a part of ensync. That's like if Destiny child does a song with a song together and then it says destiny shout and Beyonce.
Speaker 7: Y'all would not have a problem with that. I will need to cut it out. I will exactly definitely period. Let that instinct fly one time for speak. Now you named all the members of Ensync? Who are the members?
Speaker 12: Name of them again?
Speaker 1: Justin? Timberlake, j C.
Speaker 7: Chavez, Lance Bass, Joey Futan and Chris Chris Uh, Chris Kilpatrick.
Speaker 1: Patrick, Chris Kirkpatrick.
Speaker 8: Yes, all right, I'm impressed you know the names.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 6: You better stop playing with me, okay, all right, Well that was Past the Awks all right. Now you can head up Nyla for more of her playlist and everything that she gots going on. I'm sure she's gonna do another Past the Aucs Live shortly and she will be up here next week.
Speaker 1: Alright.
Speaker 6: Well, now it's time to get into the mixing. People's Choice mixed and I got a shout out to Poor Patroller. Movie por Patrol comes out this weekend as well to my kids love it. My kids went to see it a couple of weeks ago and they love it. So if you get a chance to take your kids to go check it out and let's get to the People's choice mix. You throw back on a Friday's fist Club. Good Morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same morning, everybody. It's DJ env Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. Laura Larossa, our special guest host is here and Lauren, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Long day, Long day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a good day, though it was Omar Apps.
Speaker 8: Shout to m y K Williams for joining us. It's a great conversation.
Speaker 7: I enjoyed it, you know, And I think that the thing about these conversations, nobody's right, nobody's wrong.
Speaker 1: It's just all perspective.
Speaker 7: And I think, you know, when you can have conversations with people and listen with the intent to understand and not just reply because you're trying to represent for whatever team that may exist on social media.
Speaker 1: The conversations are more productive. And I think both of y'all did that today.
Speaker 4: And I think I think when you really get to hear a person like like I swear, when she started talking about the infertility stuff and the like the shots and all that stuff, that probably was the first time I ever looked at her as a human being.
Speaker 1: Well, she said that in the commentary. The commentary that got everybody robbed up.
Speaker 4: She literally said that, no, she didn't talk about her personal journey. I didn't know her personal journey. I'm not that tuned into her. I just see her clips and I know you know what I mean, I know who she is and I just see her clips. But when I literally have never humanized her. And I think when you regardless if you agree with somebody or you don't, because we're not always going to agree when you put a human in that situation. Now I hear her conversation a little bit differently because it's like she's really going through something where like this is coming from a place of love. It doesn't feel like that when you watch it. And that is my whole if I want nobody take anything else from this, It's like the how you do it and not what you do is important because you don't should the love through the content sometimes and I know that's purposely done too, because it's sharp, it hits, it'spirral.
Speaker 1: I just think that's how you really feel.
Speaker 6: But I will say this, that's what this platform is about, just to be able to discuss and have discussions that maybe we all don't agree, whether it's Ebany K. Williams or when Tyrese came up here, or when some of these politicians come up here.
Speaker 8: That's what it's based upon. We're not going to agree with everybody that comes in here.
Speaker 6: You're not gonna agree with everything Charlamagne says, or things that I say, or things that Laurence says. But we need to be able to have a conversation and try to get to a respectable place where we at least respect each other's opinions.
Speaker 1: We don't have to agree, but we just gotta respect it right.
Speaker 7: And I want I just want us all always even if you disagree, to still listen because you still can learn something, you know what I mean. I think a lot of times we just shut down and we don't want to hear what the other person is saying. We just automatically think, we write, we automatically think the people that agree with us are right, when the reality is like, oh shoot, like Lauren, did they Lauren.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, okay, I will say I had to.
Speaker 4: I think in the beginning of it, I was very defensive, but again it was because of how she came into the conversation, not what she was saying, but one side was like, you know what, this isn't going to get anywhere. If I am that way and I actually listen to her story, then we could even when I didn't disagree. I think that's when the conversation really started. So I agree with you're saying, but I also think that there has to be accountability on both sides about the approach. And if you don't care about the approach, that's fine too, Like she said, like, I'm forty years old, I've been doing this. I know people say, I know how they feel.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: I think, I'm responsible. I mean the approach.
Speaker 7: I get what you're saying about the approach, but if I don't like what you're saying, I'm gonna feel like your approach is off.
Speaker 4: But I didn't dislike she did when she was saying that much that.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 7: If I can come here nice as possible, I can come here nice as possible, I can say it sweet, But if you disagree, you're still not going to I.
Speaker 3: Don't believe that.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that because I didn't. I didn't disagree with the two points that I disagree with enough to feel a way to be like, I don't want to hear nothing. The only reason I disagreed because what she was saying again, I said, especially the infertility stuff. It's science, it's fact. You can't get around it. The why did it? Why did it have to be said? Or why do we have to keep tolding this when it comes to black women, Because even if you're not talking to me, when someone sees you saying it, they're gonna throw it on me when I need to have that conversation. You know what I mean, that's what I disagree with.
Speaker 6: But anyway it was, I will say this though too, you know uh, And this is with most attorneys. Ebidy K Williams is an attorney. She said that when we talk, so she's gonna talk and speak a different way because she's coming from a side of facts and everything that she delivers is going to be faction when and when she comes. She's assertive because when she's in court, she has to be assertive. For some people they feel like it's it's spicy's being aggressive. But if you have a talk to an attorney, most attorneys talk like that. They speak like that and for most it's offensive, but it's just it's just it's just the environment.
Speaker 8: That's they have to be, you know.
Speaker 4: I also learned too how to stand in my like power because people, you know, when you're a strong person like that, people do take it away and it can be especially like working in media, I get told all the time, like, you're so direct, and it started to make me feel like, well, should I figured out ho should I change it?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: But listening to her, when I brought up the point of like, yo, people think you boogie. That's why they don't really hear you. It's just like, I can't change that.
Speaker 1: But that's their fault though exactly their perception of you is their fault. Like you said, people think you're too direct.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, people think Even in the commentary, they'd be like, oh, she's cuse she from TMZ And it's like, no, I was like this before I got the TMZ. There's nothing wrong with it. But I think I'm speaking for myself as a black woman in the industry I've been working on. Working in we're always sometimes like you put into these boxes where like if you're not soft enough, the brands won't deal with you. If you are too if you're not direct enough, you're going to get ran over if you are too direct, you angry, you upset girl and you doing the most or it's too much sad, so you're boxing to this the black journalist box. So that's always been something that's been in the back of my mind.
Speaker 1: So if you try to be anything else, you won't be authentic exactly.
Speaker 4: So once I started leaning into that, it's like, everything is going well for me, but you do have those times where you're like, should I do that a little bit differently? But hearing her today, I was like, no, I mean, especially if it's working for me, like why would I? But more so because this is me? What else am I going to do?
Speaker 8: I agree?
Speaker 6: All right, Well, when we come back, we got the positive notice to Breakfast Club. Good morning morning. Everybody is j NV CHARLAMAGNEA gud We are the Breakfast Club. Laura la Rossa, our special guest host is here. And let me salute to everybody in Alabama right now. I'm in Alabama, Huntsville, Alabama, A and M.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: Every year I like to go on an HBCU tour and I just I enjoyed.
Speaker 6: I like to talk to the students, answer all the questions from communication majors or business and marketing mag It's just about what we do. And I try to encourage people to take a look at HBCUs when they're thinking and talking about schools and colleges. And this is at a time when we get a chance to go week by week to different schools and to just display what their schools are all about. And of course this week Alabama A and M is playing Tuskegee for the homecoming game, so I'll be out here for that and then Saturday night and in Dallas. So let me salute to everybody out in Alabama. And that went to Alabama A and M, all the alumni and everybody. I can't wait to see and talk for you guys some more. But Charlemagne, you got a positive note. I do, and it's simple. It comes from Gandhi. Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress. Y'all have a great day.
Speaker 1: Breakfast club, bitch
Speaker 2: Is you don'na finish or y'all done it