Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to software radio, special Operations, Military nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's going on? Welcome back to soft Rep Radio. I am your host, Brad and today I have Curvin a Coin today and he is someone who has worked in the military for fifteen years. He has transitioned into doing what he loves and that's running a podcast called This Week Explained. And it's found everywhere that podcasts are at, including like soft Rep Radio. So if you go check out This Week Explain Now. It's a geopolitical podcast. He touches on a wide range of everything going on in the world as well as you know I do as well, which is why he wrote in and said, Hey, rad I'd love to be on your esteemed show. And that word esteemed. I stared at it. I was like, oh, that's a nice word, you know. So I just want to say to you, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks lot, thanks for having me on. I'm super excited about this. And I always say I'm a very genuine person and when I say words, words mean things to me. And when I say words, it is because that's exactly how I feel. So to say that soft Rep Radio is an esteemed podcast, esteemed show, it really is. It tackles everything that is near and dear to my heart. And so I just really appreciate what you guys do.
Speaker 2: You know, it's an honor to be in this position to be able to host the show, and you know it's out there forever I go away. You know, twenty years later they'll be finding these digital archives on the intranet and you're going to be there. Bro. So what I want to man as any good subscriber YouTuber radio host, I have merch and you have to go to soft rep dot com and you go to the merch store and there's like torch, flashlights, and canteens and the whole nine yards. We got a little bit of everything in there thanks to the guys at soft Rep with Brandon Webb and all of his connections to bring these products to you. Our members go check it out. It helps keep the fireplace going. I really appreciate the merch support. And then also we have a book club and that soft rep dot com forward slash book hyphen Club. I just got to get that out there right now. I want you to go check out the books that we have coming through there and please use it like a library and tell them ratsent you. First of all, so to talk just straight up about Russia invading Ukraine, Okay, which is a very aggressive act that was around February twenty second of twenty twenty two, is what we are knowing that as these days. But it really went back all the way to twenty twelve, twenty fourteen, when Obama was in office President Obama respectively, and they started to attack CRIMEA and go after you know, civilian airliners and admitting Russia admitting that stay out of the airspace. Right, let's talk about that. Let's go there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's let's do it. Yeah, I think it does get lost. We're now a year over a year and a half now from this recent invasion, like you said in twenty twenty two, something that I know I was following on the podcast this week explained as we started early off in twenty twenty one, like the October time frame of twenty twenty one, kind of seeing well, first listening to what putin the president of Russia was saying about what he wants to do, and then verifying those words that he's saying with what he had done previously. So I'm glad you brought up twenty twelve twenty fourteen. The war really started in twenty fourteen with Crimea. Russia invaded Crimea under the same auspice that they did in twenty twenty two. That Crimea is the people of Crimea identify a Russian, they are Russian, and we are going to take back that land as Russian land. Now what was different about twenty twenty two? What I was trying to look into as an intel analyst is is the invasion of twenty two twenty two going to be different? Is it only going to be those eastern parts? Or is there greater aspirations from Putin? And before he did the invasion, he started to talk not even about the Ukrainian invasion, but even follow on points what he considered, you know, parts of the of the Soviet Union, and he wanted to return the Soviet Union back to its glory during the Cold War times. And in order to do that, that means Finland is in the cross hairs, Sweden is in the crossers. Those are huge countries to talk about, but you've also got Moldova and that has already got Transnistria, which is this disputed area of Moldova, that's that's Russian, and the Moldovans say that's ours. The Russians say that that's theirs. So it's kind of like that similar thing with Ukraine. So in identifying what he was saying there, it became clear to me and clear to the US government, I would say that or the Department of Defense, that this is not just this brief special military operation as Putin would call it. It was going to be a full on invasion. And the hopes the end goal of that invasion was to take Kiev, install a pro Russian institution, a pro Russian government into Ukraine, and then take that over to then follow on. And so the goal was always it never ended with just Ukraine. It was going to be a follow on from.
Speaker 2: That, right, And then do you feel that the election of twenty sixteen to twenty twenty disrupted that plan where at twenty twenty he wasn't getting the same buy off that was out there from President former President Trump, who was agreeing with Putin and like you know, sitting there basically just holding his hand along with a lot of other leaders that were agreeing to do this invasion.
Speaker 3: So that I mean, that's a very interesting question. And it's something that former President Trump brings up a lot right now because he's you know, he's in a campaign to be the Republican candidate and saying that, you know, on his watch, this this would have never happened. You have a lot of people on the left if you listen to my podcast, I do not get into politics at all. I just don't like the discussions. But here this won't even be political because it's facts. It's just facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So my thinking the whole time when the invasion was happening, if Trump was still in office, would Putin have invaded? I don't know that there's a clear answer to that question I can tell you in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 2: Or do you think Trump would have stopped the invasion? You know what I mean, like or he just let it. Here's the doors, let it happen. It's okay, because what I'm thinking is of the like you know, Michael Diadder, you know cartoons of maybe like you know, Putin and Kim Jong un missing Trump in their threesome of a car. Yeah, okay, And so what I'm saying here is that they don't have that. That's just those two guys now, and they're like, what do we do. Do we ride our green train all around and threaten the world or do we actually, you know, wait to see if he comes back or this new world order.
Speaker 3: I'd so let me answer the question of are they waiting, yes, or Trump to be back in office to do something. There is a lot of evidence in open source and this happens every election cycle. Russia is meddling in US elections. It's happening. They're meddling in Polish elections. Hey, also, guess what the US has been implicated in meddling in other people's elections to install US pro US people. Now, what I can say is that in twenty eighteen I was tabbed to go out to Poland for overt anti Russian aggression, and that was during the Trump administration. And what happened there was the Polish government asked for US help because they were sure that through Coliningrad, through Belarus, Russia was wanting to invade Poland and they were very worried about that. So they tabbed the US military of the US Air Force to come in and start doing an overt anti Russian aggression campaign that involved diosaur intel and just just being within Poland to prevent an attack like what happened in Ukraine. And so what I have looked at and what I have seen is because of that, because of that overt and the reason it was overt is to let Russia know that, hey, we know what you're doing. We are going to back our partners whenever they ask for it. So I do believe that halted some of Putin's plans.
Speaker 2: Like right now, like currently, right now, there was an agreement with a country that is helpset Russia and the US is going over doing that Operation Freedom Eagle. I don't know what the name of the Operation per Se is, and I want to say it's Armania, but I could be wrong. But they just agreed to like say, the US can protect us because they're watching Russia. Russia look for weapons, right and they're like, if you're supposed to cover US for ninety nine point nine percent of our security and you don't have weapons right now to supply your own wars, your own troops in a war that you're creating, how are you going to protect us? So they've decided to ally with the US. To say hey, you know, enough's enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that that Putin did make some missteps here. I don't think so it's like people like you. You talked about it with Armenians and in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, a lot of countries that said, hey, we will deal with Russia because they offer us in economic gains, they offer us different things, and they're now seeing, oh, hey, wait, we may be aligning with the wrong people here and so and so that's something that I mean, look, it's historical that Finland and Sweden asked to join NATO. Sweden is a neutral country. They've they have spent their whole history trying well current modern history, trying to be neutral in every aspect of war globally. And they said, well, this invasion of Ukraine is so significant and it's so close to home, we need that protection. Finland got that, Sweden still working for it, but it is that was definitely a miscalculation from Putin In saying hey, this was because NATO was on our doorstep and we want to try to push back against a nuclear NATO who is aggressive towards Russia. Well, now you've got Finland, who is as close as you can be to the Russian border. You've got Sweden gaining, You've got Moldova getting some talks about becoming a NATO country, and that's far off because of their economy and the size of their military. But it is a bunch of countries that are saying, hey, look we need protections and so there's an organization that can protect us. You say what you want about NATO, but they have been protecting their own. And then I think the same can be said if you want to talk if you want to cross over into the Indo Pacific and talk about China. I think a lot of countries right now are figuring out do we align with China, do we get that possible economic boost that China may give, or do we realize that China's only looking out for themselves and we kind of need to to become an ally with a country that would push back against an aggressive China. And that's in countries not just like Taiwan, not just the Philippines, but New Zealand, Australia. These are large economies, large countries that are rethinking their entire global standing and what they're going to do on a geopolitical level. It is what we're going through is historical.
Speaker 2: Of course it is, because we're going through it right. I don't disagree with you at all, and this conversation is good to have. I mean, I just want to let my listener know that you have spent about fifteen years in the Army and Intel and doing analytical, you know, doing analyst stuff, which we all know our favorite superheroes come from. I'm just an analyst, bro, I just have a keyboard. I just I'm a computer salesman, Jamie Lee Curtis, Ah, get down true lies. You know, I don't know. My husband's a computer salesman. So when you're doing UAV okay, so unmanned aerial vehicle. And then there's like i R S is that international search and is R is that International search and rescue? Where I saw that little tidbit, what is IR?
Speaker 3: So that is in the form of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance. So UAV is part of an ISR system, satellites are part of an ISR system. And sure it's just a combination of all of those things. So talk about what a UAV or you know, what's known I guess colloquially as a drone. How does that fit in the ISR. So a drone collects intelligence because it has a camera, it flies around, it can can pick up things that has other things that are classified that are attached to it that can also pick up intelligence. You have surveillance, well, it's got the camera. You can surveil, you can see what people are doing. I spent many many hours on a twelve hour shift just watching things and surveilling, observing, observing. And then you've got reconnaissance, and that is you know what we have is a route recon route reconnaissance. I did this a lot with Special Operations. Hey do a route recon immediately because we got we've got guys going out. And so that's that's where I fit in in the special operations. The soft community is a sport guy. I was an intel guy. I was that person. I could not have gone through the Q course or buds. I've always said that, and I had I had one one guy while I was in while I was in a RAT, and I talked to him about it, and he kind of he actually changed my perspective on it and probably led me on the trajectory that I am today in believing in myself and doing things that I think are difficult to do that I could never accomplish, And if you don't try it, you'll never know. And he said, you can get through anything, but you've already failed because in your head you told yourself you can't do it right.
Speaker 2: And I believe that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it isle stayed with me. That was about I would say, twelve years ago, and it's stuck with me through these twelve years. And so I try. Everything I try is harder and harder and harder. Podcasting is not maybe the most physically enduring thing to do. Sometimes it is if you're sitting down for four hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're getting one hundred million dollars for five years, you know, I mean, yeah, there's a big difference between programming and editing, and you know, rescheduling and after you have everything set up and then all of a sudden, a technical issue, like prior to the show today, someone I was having those technical issues and hear you. But we had to work through that and resolve it, you know, and we have to just keep pushing forward. If I didn't try to go boxing, or didn't try to do snowboarding, or didn't try I would never know that I would I love those things. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to say it is that you don't know you'll love it, right, It seems difficult, and then you get through it. Listen, when I started out in oh Man, I started in two thousand and one. October sixteen, two thousand and one is when I raised my right hand to join the army. And I never would have thought my future would be in the intel community. It was not something I thought was going to be a passion of mine. I loved following sports, and I loved writing about sports. I loved acting. I thought I was going to go to LA and be an actor. Just let me get through this little army thing and then I can go do it.
Speaker 2: And you can and now you can and you can and you can. I'm sag. I got you, dude. I stand with the writers, and I stand with everybody who strike right now. I don't want our faces just to be manipulated for time and eternity, even though they can be. It should be fair wages. You know, through all of time, my ancestors have been like entertainers or warriors. It's really weird. I have a grandfather I never knew owned a circus, I kind of do the same thing. So entertaining is a trade, it is a skill. We are doing this. You know, it's like it's only fair to have fair wages for fair trade.
Speaker 3: That is exactly right if you're putting the work in and that this is the talk to get into like AI and what is AI going to do and if allowed, if not regulated? And I'm not saying by the you know, the US government. Listen. I spent four hours in the Social Security Administration on Friday, two more hours today before I came on here. It's inefficient. There's a lot of inefficiencies within the government. Yeah, but AI, if not regulated correctly, will be used to make much cheaper labor. And we're seeing that. We're seeing a group of I would say forward thinking, the writers within SAD with the writers in Hollywood. They're forward thinking about it and they are seeing what production companies if First of all, and we do this in an intel right, So if you're going to make a predictive model, you first have to look to the past and how somebody has acted in the past. So if I'm following a high value target, I can go see places that that high value target has interacted with on a Monday at six pm, so I kind of get a feel for Hey, every Monday at this time, that's what they're going to do. So I believe the writers looked at the past of the production companies and said, they've siphoned off money from us for years. Every new thing that came up, they found a new way to take money away from us. So now we're going to strike so that they can't do that with AI. Because as good as AI is getting, and it's not there yet, but as good as it's getting with machine learning, to use the face and voice of a person without their explicit written consent should be illegal to create that face through AI, to create their words without their explicit and like I said, I use words that mean something. Every word to me means something, So to say explicit consent to do that, I don't think the production companies have a right now. I'm just a geopolitical analyst and an Intel guys, So.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you. I was doing some commercial work for someone here locally and they said, hey, rad, we need you to read some lines off camera. When you get a minute, can you go voice those over and then send them to us. Well, it was just kind of like a convoluted situation. I was just like, how do you want me to voice these except like, oh, you know what, I don't really you don't really have the time. I was like, yeah, I'm busy today, et cetera. So they went and said we got it take care of and they sent me the clip and it's like, hey, Mitch, I need you to go into the house and rescue the hostages. And he's like Roger that rad and I was like, that's my voice. I'm like, wait, wait, wait, let me listen to this. And I'm now I'm listening to myself and they've overlaid my voice into this you know scenario. And I'm not mad about it. I'm just it's been done to me. I didn't know the technology at the time was what they were doing. It was about ten months ago, maybe like a year ago. This has just been within a year, so it's out there. You know. I've been recorded and overlaid into the background of you know, like I'm on a walkie talkie. Okay, so it sounds like you hear the breaks and everything with the walkie and it's like rat or over over. So yeah, So ask someone who has had that happen as someone you know who's been in Stephen King movies and things like that. How do we, you know, as those actors, as these people out there try to prevent that likeness from being abused in perpetuity, which is what they put in contracts, perpetuity forever, right right. They want to do a reality sh on my Airsoft war games here in Utah, and we're looking at over all these contracts from these guys out of la and it just kept saying, in perpetuity, we get a percentage in perpetuity of your business in perpetuity. I was like, wait, are you telling me that all these other reality shows out there that have a product behind them that they they are cutting it to the producers and then the chat like they're getting a cut of that for life. Right, whether if they make a product and they're selling it through the show, that show is getting it because they learned with the chick that made vodka, the lady that made vodka on that reality show back in the day, and they didn't have her tied to any paperwork, and she went with like skinny Girl vodka and it became a huge, huge.
Speaker 3: Thing that's still still selling today, Yes, exactly one of the more popular popular vodkas.
Speaker 2: And it's true.
Speaker 3: So that's all because of what lawyers, right, I mean, the production companies have the money to spend on lawyers, and so when they make a mistake, they can go back and go, Okay, how do we you know, can we fix it? Can we adjust it? And they'll get they'll get lawyers who there are some ethical lawyers out there that will do the right thing. That's not who they're looking for. I would say, no, they're mostly looking for for those that would put in perpetuity in all that. But what we can't also do is say, oh, well, AI is becoming a thing, let's just not use it, not do anything and fight fight back against it, because it's already there, it's already being utilized, and if you're not using it, you are not being productive enough in the day. I will say, now, we started, when I started working for Special Operations as part of their IR program, we actually sent somebody to look at these AI models to help with our UAV program. And what they found was that at that point, this was ten years ago, they said, you know, at that point, we don't see that AI is going to be able to take over any analyst. That was a bit of a relief for me coming ten years ago first time really thinking about AI. And then I it was about four years after that, I'm sitting at a conference and AI is just blowing up. It's everywhere, you know. The one of the creators of Google came and did a keynote speech for this conference, and at that point AI got to the point where, yes, so now AI can't analyze these things for intelligence agents and for different agencies. The problem is you have to have a human element in there. What we found when you're what we would call bean counting, which is just counting things, whether it's people or tanks. The AI can count all of the tanks in an area, but two things happen. One it'll misidentify tanks because it's under you know, it's under cover, between trees, things of that nature. And two it'll miss or it'll over count the tank. So analysts so have to go back and verify all of that information. And so what I would say to the writers who are fighting back against this is start using AI to improve your craft. AI can maybe help think outside the box. Hey, I want to write something about this, give me a couple of ideas, and a very intelligent person could get two ideas and go, oh, this is brilliant, let's do it. It's not to the point where so for me, unless the AI can feel emotion, unless it's sentient, unless it understands all of this, it's not going to write a good it's not going to write a quality movie that you're going to want to see. It's not going to write a quality song that you're going to want to hear, and it's not going to do quality analysis that is going to help you understand information.
Speaker 2: See because in our lane as podcasters, you know, as hosts and television even you know, NBC, any of these other networks out there that have a host, you know, they all have to be wondering, like are they going to go into an AI platform for running a show? And I've we've talked about it in our house of softwa rep, you know, and like what's AI chat GPT. If we're not embracing something with it, we're gonna be missing out, which is exactly kind of what you're talking about, right. How do we bring that and embrace it versus just put on a robot per se that looks like somebody talking about something that you'll have just AI watching AI, artificial intelligence, just watching artificial intelligence, because the only thing going to be happening is there's nobody real. So chat GPT, everything written by a computer, then watched by a computer, then hosted by a computer. It's just gonna be talking to a computer. It's just gonna be all watching itself. And how can it grow? And then you have Terminator. Okay, the movie sky Start one hundred percent. You know, John Connor is like, you're only as good as the you know, they're only as good as the people who programmed them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you got some too, Yeah, And that's exactly right. The AI will only be as good as whoever's programming it if it becomes sentient, and we talk about Skynet and that, so that can be very worrisome. We're not there yet, that's not in the foreseeable future.
Speaker 2: What about something in this last little while, in the last year that we're talking here, there's been like they had to shut down the two AI robots that we're talking in their own language at Facebook because they start to like talk to themselves in their own language and do things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now think about it. So you do things with AI to be more efficient. You want more efficiency if AI understands that, if they get access to everything that allows us to be human and keeps us running, what is to stop AI from realizing that, Well, you know who's doing the most damage to this earth.
Speaker 2: You know who's.
Speaker 3: Actually an invasive species. It's Homo sapiens. It's the human race. So we may need to eradicate the human race in order to save the planet. That is stuff that I said it as AI. But you know, there are some people that probably believe that. You know, if you get into the environmentalist areas, they would very much agree that, yes, it's Homo sapiens that are invasive creatures that are ruining this world and probably need to go. They would probably also say, but not me, because I'm doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Because every group has their own hit list, right, every group has their own hit list. It's like, well, I just don't want to be on any of them. Yeah, just keep me, keep me out of it, keep my name out your mouth.
Speaker 3: So a regulation for AI should be to have that kill switch that says, hey, when you start thinking, you know, death and destruction to any living being, you turn off immediately. That'll probably be something that needs to be to be put into the algorithms.
Speaker 2: But then with.
Speaker 3: Machine clap offs, does the AI go find it and say, well, look at that, let's delete that script and keep going. You know, we can go down the rabbit hole and get very scary very quickly.
Speaker 2: Oh. I've seen the memes of the robot that they kick and punch and it's trying to shoot and they flip it around and it points at them and it doesn't shoot them, and it's like super you know, I've seen that, Like is it a a t X. They're an artificial company, maybe Boston Dynamics are out there, they're making stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Well, there was a an experiment in twenty fourteen or twenty fifteen, I can't now. I won't say years, but it was a few years back where they sent a robot through the length of Canada to see how far it can make us a hitchhiking robot.
Speaker 2: Why I know about this, yeah, I do. So through Canada.
Speaker 3: It was picked up and it was trying to get from one, you know, one end to the other end of Canada and it made it successfully. Because it's Canada, we all know Canadians for being very very kind, generous and helpful. And then it made it to the United States and it got to Philadelphia and by the time it got to Philadelphia was completely destroyed. It was just nothing. Nothing was there, and I believe it got it was lost. They couldn't find it, so it's positioning, its GPS was taken out, all of this kind of stuff. That's one story, just to show you how different the United States is from there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it gets down here and we graffeed it and put some chains on it and throw it next pile. You know, they need Mark Roper to make it. You know, are we.
Speaker 3: Are we ready for the uh the robot Overlord takeover? Well, Philadelphia, I'll tell you we're ready.
Speaker 2: We'll fight back. Yeah, they are, Rocky Marciano Philadelphia. What's up? They're ready? One two one, bro, that's what's up. Yeah, that skate park is brutal if you're not from there, right, it's yeah, that's the or in the nineties it had that, you know, like there was that whole show called Kids and it was about all you know, like that was my generation of kids that were doing those things, and we were like, let's go skate there, but they kind of showcase the brotherly love factor at Love Park there. So, but what's up Philadelphia? Taylor Swift blew out some records with some hotel rentals.
Speaker 3: She is single handily saving the US economy.
Speaker 2: And South America and wherever she's going to travel, and uh, we love Taylor Swift at software. What's up Taylor Swift? True story? I wouldn't. I would be a liar if I said any other words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we saw there that well, well there's people with a lot of disposable income and they all wanted to go see Taylor Swift.
Speaker 2: That thought.
Speaker 3: I think that was an incredible display of humanity.
Speaker 2: I got to go, and I took my whole family. Let's talk about disposable income. Tickets were about two fifty apiece for me. Okay, two hundred and fifty bucks. That's a lot considering I grew up in the nineties and the two thousands with tickets being like five twenty bucks. Okay, now, it's like all right, So we went and it was well worth it, all right, I mean, like core memory accomplished. But I got them through the whole debacle of the ticket Master crumble. So I was in line, I was in Q it crumbled. They sent me another code through Taylor Swift's organization, saying, hey, we're gonna send you another code. I was able to log that in and then at three pm I was able to get the tickets for the regular price twenty two rows up from the floor for two fifty apiece. You can't beat that. Yeah, they were going I could have sold them for like two or three apiece. Sure, yeah, but yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: There's a video of you being a nineties kid, right, There's there's this video of Kurt Cobain right from Nirvana talking about Madonna's concert and ninety one or ninety two, I believe, and they said, what do you think about Madonna selling her tickets for fifty dollars? Fifty dollars? And he was blown away.
Speaker 2: Fifty dollars.
Speaker 3: We're going to pay fifty dollars to go to a show?
Speaker 2: Didn't he ask? Who is that again? They're like, it's Madonna. He's like madonnadi dollars, you know, And honestly, let's put let's put Madonna in perspective. She has a huge production, she has the whole choreography and the dancing and everything, and so you know, and I know she wants to make some scrilla all right and some chetta okay. And you know, fifty dollars though in the nineties was a ton because shows again were like Fugazi was out there saying like five dollars. You know, there was labels called subpop and all these labels that were like, we don't want to sell tickets for more than the kids can afford. But you know, Metallica is like five hund.
Speaker 3: Do ticket, you know, yeah, Metallics doing And now I did I will say, I'm glad you brought that up about the production quality and how it can be worth it for your whole family if you're bringing your whole family. I did that with the with Lady Gaga. I'm not a big fan of Lady Gaga, but you know a lot of we listened to a lot of pop in the house, so that's one one name that's always out there. And like I said, I had caveated with I'm not a big fan of Lady Gaga's music, but it was such an incredible show entertain experience that we had was it was just awesome, So yeah, it can it can't be worth it. You just have to realize what you're spending your money on and then just go and have fun and and accept it and embrace it.
Speaker 2: Right, And it's and and and it was a thing where it's like, uh, it was like we only lived kind of once attitude. You know. We took on the mantra of like, hey, the kids, they're not getting younger, we're not getting younger. When I take travel destinations with my wife and after we get done there for a few days, we're like, hey, we're so glad we did this when we were sixty five. Yeah, you know, because how can we ever climb to the top of the cathedral's top spire, you know, with a cane? You know. And I'm not saying that you have to be old to have a can. I'm just saying, you know, ailments and like, you know, getting up and down every day. You know, it's like you got to live life today, right, You're living life, You're enjoying yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely, and you just don't know what tomorrow holds. Every religion is based off of that. Stow. I've been getting into Stoicism over the last few years. The Stoic's mantra is, don't put off to tomorrow what you need to accomplish today. Also, you know, Amnamor, I know that you will die one day. We are going not to get to morbid here, but we're all going to die at some point. Don't spend your whole life worrying about when that's going to be. Be in the moment, be in the day. I look back on my career in the military and dozens of deployments and being in austere locations where I was moments from possibly being hit by a rocket or shot or killed, and that would have been it, And what legacy would I have left, And so in thinking that, that's why I've started to do what I'm doing now with the podcast is to create that legacy. I saw a problem with too much misinformation being put out by even high standard media individuals, and I wanted to go against that, and I wanted to make a legacy for future independent creators to know that your logical, intelligence based thinking is correct. You're using facts and logic. Don't get bogged down by what everyone else is saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the machine, the machine can just keep pumping it out all day. You know, we lay down in bed with these phones that are just super computers that stare at our faces, you know, and you know what we're not. We're not super computers. And so here you are, it's reading you. It's you know, algorithm and your face and your nose and your feet, facial structure because you've given an app access to allow yeah, to your camera, you know, and it's like and then all of a sudden, you can't go to sleep and you're just staring at this blue led light or you think you have it on dark mode, but you're still scrolling, and it's just Fenian. I have so many friends that I love and cherish on these social media applications. I want to see their feeds, right, But then I have other people that I just see their feeds instead, I don't see and the other people are posting My friends are posting stuff, where's that at? You know, So it's still ciphering in what I'm they think I want to see, and I have to stop myself. The other day, I was talking about Beyonce with my wife. I was like, yeah, hey, she's beautiful. Next thing I know, man, Beyonce is in my feed. I'm like, I'm not what's going on here and now I'm gonna get it again. Are my daughter's laptop.
Speaker 3: We have a we've got a dog, a Jack Russell's fourteen years old, just getting old, and we constantly talk about, you know, the process of how that's gonna look. She's deteriorating and grows old. And just the other day of my wife said, Hey, my entire Instagram feed is just dogs memorials for dogs, so sad.
Speaker 2: Why is that?
Speaker 3: It's like we've been talking about it. Yeah, you know, every motion you make with your phone is captured by some data center and it is used within the algorithm. And I am sometimes I'm not aware. Sometimes I'll doom scroll and just scroll around. But then sometimes I'm I'm acutely aware of how long I stay on a post knowing, oh, that's in my algorithm.
Speaker 2: Now, So how we turn it into a business. You know, we turned into our justifying it because I work online.
Speaker 3: And so that is a lot of like content creators on Twitter and Instagram is trying to figure out the algorithm. So you're not getting genuine content. Well, we have you know, open Analytics has an Instagram page, and in researching how to start that, how to gain a following. It all about your content. It's not about what's in the content. It's about how long somebody stays on the content. So if it's a video, it should you know, don't lead with the solution. Make sure it's if it's a minute video, fifty seconds into that video, you've got the solution to keep the audience there for the whole minute, and then more of your content is going to be pulled from that and it's going to be into more people's feeds. People are making tons of money, like go on you can go on Twitter or x as it's called now. I still haven't gotten used to saying that, but it's so what they'll tell you if you want to be a content creator on Twitter. When Twitter was Twitter was a lot of threads, you want multiple posts about one thing because someone will click on it and then they will start to read the other threads, and so you keep them engaged in there. The longer they stay on your post, the more engagement you can receive. So there's so much in genuine like just non genuine people AI post yeah AI for you know, creating an AI that will post these it. I mean, it gets frustrating sometimes because you see people with just millions of followers, and they're just putting out content that is exactly cookie cutter. And I mean it would be like in Hollywood. I'm sure writers get frustrated when listen. I love The Avengers, I love superhero movies, but it's it's cookie cutter. And a lot of writers look at that and go, look, they just did a basic college story writing course and they created this movie. And I am actually creating something new and it expresses a new feeling and it makes people feel a certain way, and I can't get any engagement because it's not cookie cutter.
Speaker 2: You know. I think would like to get back to acting. I think President Zelensky of the Ukraine would like to be back in the act. Yeah, he you know, I think that dude right there, he's also an actor. You know, a lot of the presidents in my lifetime, Reagan, you know, they all seem like Trump. They're all like television actors. You know, they've all had some type of u Let's look at Arnold, right, he's governor of California. That's basically president of California, you know, and his claim to famous his acting, you know, really, I know he's muscular, and I know he has attention to detail, and he's got dedication and that that that takes commitment and you know, you know, the whole nine yards to be disciplined to work out every day and do all of that. So I'm not discrediting that from him.
Speaker 3: But again Arnold, I don't think anybody would sit and watch Arnold and say what a terrific actor he.
Speaker 2: Did. Well, you know, when he got that job and terminator, he was quoted as saying, like to James Cameron, you know, the terminator, he can't look at the gun when he puts it together. He just puts it together. He has to just like no, because he is the terminator. And he's like, well, how about you're the terminator because they were supposed to have a OJ Simpson and he was going to be the terminator.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they dodged a bullet for lack of a better term.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, and at the time OJ was huge, right, huge, huge, huge, huge, And so he went off to do airplane movies and other things and the rental car agencies. But he was and he was already like the terminator. And then Arnold had lunch with James Cameron and he's like, you know, the terminator needs to just like hold the shotgun like this and not even look and like go through the phone book and just touch the name, you know, like here it is, he's the terminator.
Speaker 3: That story is a great reflection of how you know, if you just put yourself out there and you just do it. You know how many people myself included, would be very intimidated to tell James Cameron, a director, a famed director right for a movie, that oh, you've got this wrong. You should change it. It should be something different. Yeah, And so so we go, oh, I think that's different. But I either I don't have the confidence to say that or I don't have the ability to tell them just put yourself out there. When we started the podcast, it was like, so what is this going to be? You know, where's it going to go? And it was like, so what if you fail? Well that I had to say, if I fail, it just means the next opportunity is going to open. You can gain success through failure. I will say almost every successful entrepreneur, almost every successful person you see, has gone through failure.
Speaker 2: It's true, one hundred percent. The gym is failure. You go to the gym, if you go to your craft's workout space. If you're an actor and you go to acting class and you fail there and you wanted to get better. You know, if you go to the gym and you push your muscle fatigue to failure, you know, so that you can rebuild your muscles and let them and go to bed and get some good sleep, because sleep rebuild your muscles. You know. A failure, I like to look at it like, you know, I get it. We're there to be successful in life, and I'm that's my goal, but I have to go through these failures. It's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, better we all do without failure, because without failure, you can't learn. You know, if you were successful your whole life. And look for me through my entire elementary school, through high school, through even I would say parts of training and my original intel course I skated through really bare bone, bare minimum. Just do enough to accomplish it, don't fail, just get through it. And what I especially getting into the soft community, the Special Operations Commune, what I found out is you have to fail.
Speaker 2: You cannot. You know.
Speaker 3: They basically said, you cannot come to us without having failed before, because if you fail with us, that's going to be a problem that's going to cause death, destruction, bad planning. So you know, I had to I had to do uncomfortable things in order to get up to that point and from so from that moment, once I was doing support for those guys, my life changed dramatically and I'm still to this day doing things that are failures. When I started all of this, I thought I was starting a company to do you know, travel safety reports for Fortune five hundred companies. That was the plan, that was the goal. And then that was April of twenty twenty, so everything shut down, So I have no business anymore. There's no one's traveling, So what am I going to do? I had to reframe my mind and through that year basically that we spent just at home doing work from home and watching Netflix and all that kind of stuff, and then seeing all of social media just you know, both sides of a disinformation, misinformation coming from all over the place, and people are just bickering and arguing, but they're not getting to the source of what's actually happening to understand the implications of it on a personal level. That's where it changed, and I said, hey, look, I'm identifying these things that are starting to happen. January sixth is one thing. In twenty twenty one, December of twenty twenty, I was already by doing open source identifying certain sects that we're planning something. The mayor of DC came out and said something is being planned. We don't think it's violent, but be on the lookout, and so I had sent We were in a group with just other Intel guys, and so I started talking about it. And then January sixth comes and there's the rallies and then they start the march to the US Capitol and enter the US Capitol. You know, if you had asked some unbiased Intel analysts, maybe they would have said, hey, maybe you should get some more security. It probably won't be violent. But what's the problem in actually, you know, being prepared, being prepared for it, take it. And so so that happened. I will say DC was not prepared for it. They didn't have enough capitol police there. Yeah, they probably should have taken the National Guard and posted them just to kind of have because sometimes when you talk about deterrence, that's what you want to do. You want to deter it. Sometimes showing might deters a lot of that, and then with with Ukraine in twenty twenty one or in twenty twenty two. There was when I was, you know, November, December or January off for that going. I was talking a lot about it, and I said, hey, Putin is going to do this, He's he's going to do it.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 3: I said it to the date because of what he was doing talking to Gi before the Winter Olympics, and that after the Winter Olympics he would have been given the go ahead to invade. I said, it's going to happen. And a lot of people said that I was being either a warmonger or crazy or not understanding the facts, and I had to keep going. I had to stay. You know, I was getting text messages saying I really don't think this is going to happen. That was the day before the invasion. So I really don't hope you're I hope you're wrong on this, which I said, I hope I'm wrong too, But be prepared, be prepared for that. And that is what I'm trying to get out into the ether. I guess to whoever would listen, is you've got to understand these geopolitical problems, these geopolitical situations because it is, it affects you, It is going to affect you. We talked about World War three a lot, and it hasn't happened yet. Are we on the cusp of it? I think every day we become closer to World War three just because of how our politics and the global sphere has become where we're just so angry with each other. But it's not there yet. And a good way to deter that is to show might. So you know, d od US military continue to expand and and spend on quality equipment and things that the war fighter needs as a deterrence. And for people with not in the military, just your every day Joe, it's going to affect you if something happened. So the war in Ukraine has affected your pocketbooks, The war in Ukraine has made it less has made some foods less accessible to you here in whether you're in Montana or La, it's affecting you. And so there's something So so Mike Baker does the he's now doing the Daily the President's Dately Brief, and in his intro he said something that really caught me that that is something that I understood, is that he who holds the best and most accurate information holds the key to success. So if you have good, accurate information, you have the ability to improve your life even when disasters happen. And that goes just across the board. Yeah, watch out for speed bumps along the way.
Speaker 2: You know there's gonna be there. There's going to be the off ramp that you're taking that you're supposed to stay on this path. Like I'll be working diligently at my job for my own company, and then all of a sudden, I'll get on my phone and I'm looking for emails and I get distracted and what I was going to do five minutes ago, now I'm scrolling. I'm like, you gotta watch Yeah, yes, watch out for that. You know I do too. I'm a victim of it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean we're addicted. Go back to the phone conversation. If if you don't think that you are addicted to your phone, there are some people who aren't. I'm very impressed by people who still have a dumb phone, the little flip phone. Yeah, but if you don't think you're addicted to your phone, have somebody take your phone away from you for twenty four hours and see what happens.
Speaker 2: Oh you will.
Speaker 3: You will begin to shake, as you know an addict I do with that. Without there, you will continue to look and try to check for your phone. I do this daily. You put my phone upstairs because we're going to watch a movie as a family. You got to be with the family. Be in the moment, right and and I will go and you'll see me tapping my legs because where's my phone? Where did I put my phone? I have to see it. I have to be I can't be in this moment because I have to be in this moment. And so how to I don't know how to solve that.
Speaker 2: Bro. There. I saw this guy the other day. I was driving my jeep and it's I have a five speed ninety three Wrangler, so I have to I can't do nothing except drive because I'm shifting right. Yeah. So I look over at this dune. He's like right next to me. Tops off, I'm cruising to work. I look over. I'm like, well, he's so close to my jeep. Bro. And I look over and he's literally leading over his steering wheel, both his hands on the fetching phone, tapping with his thumbs like driving with his knee trying to drive and I'm like, I honk my jeep horn met me, and I'm like, bro, like bro, bro.
Speaker 3: The majority of congestion here in the DC area, I guarantee is based off of I watch people sitting at a red light goat green, and they're on Facebook. They're posting a picture on who.
Speaker 2: And by the time they drive, and they've taken that three extra seconds to realize that to drive, you've caused traffic.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's incredibly frustrating.
Speaker 2: And I also saw that out here in Utah. They have like a semi truck that they I think they probably impounded from some kind of deal or something, you know, and the cops are driving it and so they roll up next to semi truck drivers and they look over at the same height and they see semi truck drivers big rigs hauling huge loads text driving texting dude, yeah, just like totally like everyone else, just like big load behind. Imagine trying to stop and break.
Speaker 3: Well, that's I mean, that's another thing. I mean, the most accidents are are created, if not by with these big rigs. And I mean we go back to the AI conversation. I am ready for at least those, and not to say anything to truckers, I think you should still be seated in the truck while these are self driving trucks. But there would be so much, so less congestion if the trucks are just doing the right thing, you know, not getting in the far left lane to pass up a truck. But you're only going one mile per hour faster than that truck, so it takes twenty minutes to pass it, and now you've got a row of cars behind you for miles, just because you decided I'm going to be selfish and I've got to get over because my day is more important than everyone else. That's what I always think about, and looking at that people do frustrating things on the road. You were saying your life is more important than mine is because you have to get to where you want to get to. That's one of the things in my stoicism journey that I have not dealt with. I could still get angry about on a Yeah, right, I have yet to be to d C. So one day I'll experience this. The turn it's like popular what's it called the turn belt or the.
Speaker 2: Beltway, the beltway, Capital beltway. Yeah, the Capitol Beltway.
Speaker 3: For the way was four ninety five Beltway, which goes just all around d C. It does a complete loop of DC. And if you think about it, now, DC has about seven hundred and thirty thousand people within its population. But when you take in the DMV, the DC, Maryland, Virginia sort of what we call the National Capital region where you got the Pentagon and that kind of stuff you're talking about, and you're putting in I want to say, two to three million people. So this small little area has seven hundred and fifty thousand, but within that you branch out just two to three miles and you're talking about three million people all going to the same place, going to work.
Speaker 2: Take on to one exit. Yeah, jeez. If everybody works with the Pentagon, they got to get to the Pentagon, so expect that delay, you know. And yeah, geez cheese, that's crazy. Yeah, I get that. A lot of people going in there. There's a lot going on every Basically, the Beltway is just your commute off wrap probably to all these different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, that's exactly what it is. You explained it exactly right. I got to go all the way around here because I had to take this exit which is going to go to you know whatever, Get me into DC, get me to the Pentagon, get me to Aberdeen, any of those places. And yeah, So it's just it's congestion. And it's something that I've been thinking about for a while that you know, intelligence analysis could try to solve this issue. I've written up the ladrafts of papers of how to do that because it is one of the things that you talk about. Things I'm passionate about. It's fixing traffic here in DC to make everyone's life.
Speaker 2: Just send that Pete Bootage's office. Yes, right away, Pete. If you're listening and you want to get on SOFTWAREP and talk about the traffic in DC, we'll three way it with curve it here. No problem, we'll talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let's just float some ideas. It doesn't hurt to float some ideas.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right, that's exactly right. It does not. No, hey, there's no wrong idea in a brainstorm session.
Speaker 3: There is whenever you're taking action. Now, Oh well, call those the good idea fairies.
Speaker 2: The good idea fairies. Huh jeez, Well, it was a good idea to have you on the show. How about that?
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for having me once again. Like I said, I'm just blessed to be here.
Speaker 2: Honestly, sure, same we both are, and I literally you wrote in I just want to let my listener know we've talked just like this. It's our first time having a conversation. And you can go out and have conversations with other people in this world and not getting each other's throats, right, So just try to be kind to one another and be the kindness you want to see in the world today. But upgrade yourself so she can always downgrade yourself.
Speaker 3: Hey, listen, we had we had the Trump conversation, and no one yelled, and no one was on one side or the other. So I think that that's good. That is uh, that's good for the future of this country.
Speaker 2: It's part of history. It's yes, you can't can't can't ban that book? Can you should? We should we ban that book? Huh that he existed in our lives or anybody else that as anybody has a problem with us ban that book. Nah. There's a lad lady down the street here, a nice old lady. She has a sign and it waves a flag in her little yard. It says read banned books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I definitely agree with that. If if a book makes you uncomfortable, read it and then figure out why that makes you uncomfortable. Maybe it's because it goes against your worldview, and maybe that worldview is wrong, or may be it was right, and you just don't know enough to express how your worldview is is right, and the books isn't. So educate that's I'm all about. Read a book, read a book, get educated that. I continue to do that. I'm thirty nine years old. Now that might not sound old to some people, but listen, I continue to read things every day and learn new things. And so that's what I that's what I love about today, the information age.
Speaker 2: Here's my bookshelf behind me. Now, okay, there's my bookshelf. There's a couple of books right there for you, just so you know, just right.
Speaker 3: The I guess it's not good because I've got the uh, the liquor cabinet back there.
Speaker 2: So, oh, Japanese it's is that Japanese whiskey? What is that is that?
Speaker 3: Ah? I've got some gin I've got I have old Bay vodkas, So now you know I'm in the DC area. Is probably the only place you can find Old Bay, DC. Well, listen, I really appreciate you of being on the show. I'm going to play your show right now. It's a geopolitical podcast. It's called This Week Explained. It's found everywhere. I typed it in it was Apple everywhere that's found.
Speaker 2: Curvin A. Coin is his name, And you know, thanks for your service in the military. Thanks for coming on and talking about the political world theater that we live in today.
Speaker 3: Hey, thank you. Thank you for continuing to support us as as veterans and current military people. Your show is amazing. It's awesome what you guys are doing and getting those conversations out, So thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for that. And to our listener, if you have something that you want to say or you want to write in, hit us up, go through the contact us on soft reap dot com. Check out our merch check out the book club. And this is rad Say in peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to self reg Radia