Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 1: We begin in Washington, where Republican Congressman Matt Gates has officially moved to topple House Speaker Kevin McCarthy. He has filed what's known as a motion to vacate.
Speaker 3: The Gentleman will state the form of his resolution.
Speaker 4: Declaring the office of Speaker of the House of Representatives to be vacant. Resolved that the Office of Speaker of the House of Representatives is hereby declared to be vacant.
Speaker 1: Congressman Gates cited McCarthy's bipartisan deal to avertic government shut down for making this move. Just five ultra conservatives could oust McCarthy if every Democrat joins them. McCarthy has to call a vote on Gates's motion within two legislative days, though the Speaker or his allies could seek a vote as soon as today to try to block the maneuver.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan. At least one conservative Republican, Jim Jordan, tells us he does not support the move to get rid of the speaker.
Speaker 5: I do not support that. I think I think Kevin McCarthy's done a good job. I mean, we told the America people that we would pass legislation to get rid of the eighty seven thousand RS agents. We told the American people we'd pass the Printal Bill, rights we did that. We told the American people we would pass legislation to deal with the energy problem. We told the American people we would pass the toughest border security security immigration enforcement legislation in history, and we did that.
Speaker 2: Ohio Republic and Jim Jordan made the comments in an interview on Bloomberg's Balance of Power. Catch the show weekdays at five pm Eastern on Bloomberg Television and get the full conversation with Congressman Jordan on the Bloomberg Talks podcast feed.
Speaker 1: Staying in Washington, Karen, President Biden's re election campaign has launched a new ad.
Speaker 6: That peace of mind. He's determined to get it back because of where he's from and who he is.
Speaker 1: I'm Joe Biden, and I approved this message. The Biden campaign helps to reverse the president's poor marks on the economy the head of the twenty twenty four election. The minute long Spots highlights the president's efforts to lower consumer costs well.
Speaker 2: On the either side of the eye, Nathan Donald Trump's twenty twenty four campaign is colliding with his legal troubles now. The former president appeared in the New York City courtroom for opening statements in his civil fraud trial, and he wasted little time railing against it.
Speaker 6: There's no here, There's no victim.
Speaker 7: The banks aren't a victim.
Speaker 2: The insurance companies are a victim.
Speaker 5: Everybody gets paid.
Speaker 7: It's a terrible, terrible thing.
Speaker 2: This was for politics, and the former president said the judge in the case, Arthur and Goren, should be disbarred. Prosecutors say that Trump organization inflated his asset values to get better terms from banks and insurance companies and to get Trump higher on the Forbes Billionaire's List. New York Attorney General Letitia James says she wants to send a message, no.
Speaker 8: Matter how powerful you are, no matter how much money you think you may have, no one is above the law.
Speaker 2: The case from Letitia James is scheduled to last almost three months, and former President Trump is expected to testify late in the trial.
Speaker 1: On other high profile trial begins later today in New York. Karen former FTX CEO Sam Bankman Freed. He is accused of orchestrating a multi billion dollar fraud. We get more from Bloomberg's Kaylee Lines.
Speaker 8: Bankmin Freed is facing seven counts of fraud and money laundry. Prosecutors alleged that the collapse of his crypto exchange FTX was one of the biggest financial frauds in American history, and we'll argue the scheme allowed the thirty one year old to spend customer funds on real estate, high risk trading investments, and political donations. Bankman Freed has pleaded not guilty to all the charges and has said he never knowingly committed fraud. If convicted and given maximum sentences, he could spend the rest of his life in prison. The trial in federal court in Manhattan is expected to take up to six weeks. Kaylee Lines, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Kayley, thanks, We'll turning to the markets now. Stocks are under pressure once again. On hawkish FED Talk, several officials bolstered speculation that rates are going higher to counter inflation. And here's Cleveland A FED President Lorettamester.
Speaker 9: At this point, I suspect we may well need to raise the Fed Fund rate once more this year and then hold it there for some time, relate more information on economic developments, and assess the effects of the tightening at financial conditions that has already occurred.
Speaker 2: Cleveland Fed President Loretta Mester does not vote on monetary policy. This year, her colleague FMC hawk Michelle Bowman reiterated her call for multiple hikes.
Speaker 1: And it's not just Fed officials talking rate hikes Karen. Former Bank of England governor Mark Carney says he expects the FED to raise rates again before the end of this year.
Speaker 10: If I have to choose a camp, by being the camp of I expect that there will be a bit more tightening by the Fed, so probably an additional rate increase this year.
Speaker 1: Mark Carney made the comments on Bloomberg Television's David Rubinstein Show Peer to Peer Conversations. Carne now chairs Brookfield Asset Management. He's also been selected to service chair of Bloomberg LP's Board of directors.
Speaker 2: Let's turn to technology now, Nathan, because that's what Jamie Diamond's talking about. In an exclusive interview with Bloomberg, the JP Morgan Chase CEO said thousands of his employees are already using artificial intelligence. He says, AI will make your mad improvements and workers' quality of life. Even if it eliminates some.
Speaker 4: Jobs, technologies always replace jobs. Your children will live to one hundred and not have cancer because of technology, and literally they'll probably be working three and a half days a week. So technology has done unbelievable things from mankind. You know, planes crash, pharmacuies get misused. There are negatives. This one the biggest negative of my view, is AI being used by bad people to do bad things.
Speaker 2: And you can hear more of our conversation with JP Morgan Chase CEO Jamie Diamond on the Bloomberg Talks podcast feed. Download it wherever you get your podcasts. And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's John Tucker. John, Good morning, and.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Karen. The bill to avoid the weekend government shutdown left out six billion dollars in funding for Ukraine, and as Bloomberg's At Baxter tells us, President Biden now has some work to do with US allies.
Speaker 11: The President says he wants wants to assure the allies that the US support will continue. You cannot, under any circumstances allow America's support for Ukraine to be interrupted. Too many lives of stake, too many children, too many people. A call with Allies could happen as early as today, and the White House says it will announce an additional aid package for Ukraine soon. I'm at Baxter Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: A buying partisan group of US senators hopes to meet President Shijingping in China next week. Senate Majority Leader Jack Schumer and his Republican colleague, Senator Mike Crapo will raise the issue of Micron Technology's ability to do business in that country during their trip. The US company faces an ongoing probe by the Chinese government's Cybersecurity Administration. President Biden's son Hunter will be in a federal courtroom in Wilmington, Delaware, today to face charges that he violated federal gun laws in twenty eighteen. The President's son is expected to enter it not guilty plea to three felony accounts related to his twenty eighteen purchase of a handgun at a time he was admittedly addicted to drugs. The nine year old girl who disappeared during a family camping trip in upstate New York was found safe on Monday, New York Governor Kathy Hokel saying a fingerprint found on a ransom note that was left in a mailbox at the family home led authorities to the suspect.
Speaker 12: After some resistance, the suspect was taken into custody, and immediately the little girl was found in the cabinet cupboard well.
Speaker 3: The girl appeared physically unharmed when discovered. NBC Sunday Night Football drew an audience of twenty seven million viewers, up twenty two percent from a year ago. As the rumored relationship between Taylor Swift and Kansas City chiefs tightening, Travis Kelcey pulled in additional fans that included two million more women. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered by more than twenty seven hundred journalist and an analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries. I'm John Tucker, and this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: Karen all right, Johns. We bring you news throughout the day here on the Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com, plus apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update with John stash Hour John kre In.
Speaker 7: The night after there was Sunday Night football at MetLife Stay in New Jersey, there was Monday Night football, same stadium, Giants and Seahawks. Seattle had fourteen to three at halftime.
Speaker 3: We've bent.
Speaker 7: The Giants have been outscored in their four first halfs this season, seventy seven to nine. They did have a drive going third quarter down fourteen to three. They had a fourth and one deep in Seattle territory.
Speaker 2: Seattle looks like they want to rush four.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they do.
Speaker 6: Jones is going to throw throws near.
Speaker 13: Sid full Click up twittero cuts her time count the sideline. Joe Chase are gonna be touchback inside pichaf Walckers so By Chase, twinerspood part time twenty to see ten Son Pea in Holy Jeffish Winners Food win a five one half with the interception for a touchdown.
Speaker 7: Seahawks Radio. They wanted twenty four to three to go to three and one on the year. The Giants are one and three. Baseball postseason begins today four games, starting with Texas at Tampa Bay. Those were the two top two offensive teams in the American League this season, and then it's another American League game with Toronto in Minnesota. The Twins have lost their last eighteen postseason games. National League begins with Arizona in Milwaukee. It's Miami at Philadelphia, the Phillies, where a wildcard team last year ended up playing in the World Series. All of these series are best of three, and the team that is at home gets to stay at home throughout the series. John Stashiewa Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 6: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on SIRISXAM, the Bloomberg Business app, and Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager. Will it be better work through technology? Well, Jamie diamond says artificial intelligence is already being used by thousands of his employees, and it's likely to make dramatic improvements in workers' quality of life, even if it does eliminate some jobs. The CEO and chairman of JP Morgan Chasing Company spoke exclusively with Bloomberg's Emily Chang on the sidelines of the Tech Stars Leadership Forum in London, and diamond says AI is critical to JP Morgan's future success.
Speaker 4: People have to take a deep breath. Okay, technologies always replaced jobs. Your children will live to one hundred and not have cancer because of technology, and literally they'll probably be working three and a half days a week. So technology has done unbelievable things from mankind. But you know, planes crash, pharmaceutals get misused. There are negatives. This is one of the biggest negative of my view, is AI being used by bad people to do bad things. Think of cyber you know, Hemmy Kissinger talks about warfare, but you know the fact and I do think you know, eventually have legal guardrails around. It's kind of hard to do because it's new, but it will add a huge value. And you know, for JP Morgan, if it replaces jobs, and we hope to redeploy people like at First Republic. You know, we've offered jobs to like ninety percent of the people they accepted. But we also you know, we've told them as we some of those jobs are transitory. But we hire thirty thousand people a year, so we expect to be able to get them a job somewhere local and a different branch or a different function if we can do that. So, and we'll be doing that with any dislocation that takes place as a result.
Speaker 8: AI, I want the Jamie Dimon forecast on the broader economy.
Speaker 1: First it was hurricanes and then it was storm clouds in your annual letter, what's the weather now?
Speaker 4: Recept you guys have consistently got this wrong. Okay, I'm not giving a forecast. I'm trying to I blame myself.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: The US has been very strong for a while, no surprise. Five trillion dollars was pumped in fiscally, you know, three trillion or four trillion of QE and now that's being reversed. The consumer is still in good shape. There's still spending money. They's still have more money than pre COVID. It's spending down Home prize is gone for fifteen years. ASCID prize are gone for fifteen years, they're in pretty good shape. And then the people are talking about deterioration. Credit is not to tearing and credit card all time highs, not inflation adjusted or GDP adjusted or income adjusted, And yeah, it's deterrans We think there's normalizing and corporate credit has been quite good. So you have a strong economy. That's the here and now, and all the data is a little distorted because of COVID and things like that. When you ask the question about a forecast, and I don't make forecasts, I look out there and say, what are the range of outcomes.
Speaker 12: From hurricane to storm clouds?
Speaker 4: No, this is I put it several storm clouds, I said. When I said hurricane, I was correcting, said the st storm clouds dissipate. I said, no, that one may be a hurricane. We don't know what it is. Here's what they are. There are two of them that are different than other things. So we always have you know, I don't worry about the weather, and I honestly, I spend a lot of time guessing about the economy, and that to me is the sunnier rainier. I don't worry about that. We run the company to serve clients, through thick and thin. That's what we do to serve governments, to satisfy our regulators. And that's all weather. But there are two things which are extraordinary today which may have different outcomes. And think of them as storm clouds. We don't know if they're gonna hit, when they're gonna hit, what they're gonna do, Okay, So I'm not predicting that. I'll tell you what I worry about. So one is the fiscal money being spent is so big, largest in peacetime ever America and kind of around the world, with already very high deficits and QT we've never had, so I know some people think QT will be uneventful. I'm not so sure. At a minimum, I expect volatile market it's and then you've got and then all the long term fiscal things are kind of inflationary. You know, oil prices, certain commodity prices, the green economy, you know, the restruction of trade, you name it. I see it's ed interflation, not subtracting inflation. So I don't think inflationary will be that, you know, keep on coming down. It may not, and therefore rates may go higher. But the biggest dorm claus. Geopolitical, it's Ukraine, the humanitarian crisis. You know, it's a war not far from here. It's along six hundred miles, five hundred thousand people killed. It's nuclear blackmail. It's going to affect old global relationships in America and China trade alliances. We don't know how it's going to start either. So I just put those two things. Is I keep a close eye on. And then how it affects the economy is different. And what I've been talking about that is I just tell you be prepared for higher rates and slower seven percent?
Speaker 1: Are we really going there?
Speaker 4: And I don't know when I said five percent, they said are we going there? Yes, it's possible, you know, so I when I talk to my board, I say, yeah it can it go to seven percent? The answers, yes, are there factors that would drive it, you know, higher than you know where it is today? You know four four six or four s omptob about ten year bond? Now, Yes, is supply and demand could push I yes, I'm just saying be prepared for it. And then the worst case is stacklation. You know, higher rates because you have a booming economy and there's a lot of competition for capital is not the same thing as dack clation.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg day Break Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six a m. Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street Time on Bloomberg eleven three to oho in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa a Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg Daybreak