Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dream listeners, if you like this podcast, you're gonna love the book. Yeah. I wrote a book. It's called Selling the Dream, and it's coming out March twelfth, twenty twenty four, on Atria. It's about all of your favorite characters from MLMs and some that you've never even heard of. I hope check it out. Previously on the Dream, I got.
Speaker 3: To the level where you were in the Mercedes and then very quickly was sucked through the pipeline of an MLM coaching cult. Obviously, the love bombing began right away. Oh my gosh, you're in social work. Oh you have two kids. I have two kids too. You're so much fun, You're a great speaker, you love to help people. All these little things that really felt good.
Speaker 2: So maybe you're wondering what's been going on with me and my coach Jesse, not Jesse Lee Ward, the other Jesse, and I'm here to say it's going boringly, which is great. She came into the studio when we first got started, and she basically interviewed me about all my problems, everything I wanted to change, or at the very least complain about how's.
Speaker 4: Your sleep bad.
Speaker 2: It's really bad, great start. I'll spare you the talk about my bowel movements and all that jazz. But Jesse comes at this from both a wellness angle and a spiritual angle, and she finds connections between the two all over the place.
Speaker 4: No pain or stiffness when you're waking up in the morning.
Speaker 2: I have pain at night in my back, in my lower back.
Speaker 4: That's because you're having problems with you, dude. Okay, okay, that's all all right. Sorry, good to know. Please, if you're listening, don't quote me on that. It's just the metaphysical stuff, you know. I mean, you already told me you're not very spiritual and stuff like that, but you don't do any spiritual practices go to church. But you are eager to find some higher power. Yeah, okay, I am.
Speaker 2: I'm eager to like not have existential dread that goes unanswered all the time, you know. So either get rid of my panic about like floating around in space all by myself for all of eternity, or you know, I don't know, I just don't want.
Speaker 4: To think to reincarnate, dude. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't need to I don't need to know. I just needed to not sound terrible and I need to kind of feel a little more.
Speaker 4: Purpose. There we go, and that's the thing. You need to eat a little bit better, you need I mean all of this kind of things, like you have no idea. Once you start changing a little bit of the way you eat, and just little by little things are going to start changing. Okay, You'll feel good about coming to work, you feel good about leaving your house because what you're doing has purpose. And let me just tell you that what you do and the people that you are touching, it's godly. You have no idea. What you're doing is so beautiful and you just have to believe it. And that's what I'm here for. I want to tell you that you're beautiful. I want to tell you that you're full of love. That you will find perpose be paying you. It doesn't I know, but still, I mean that's worth because I'm working. But we won't be together for a long time because everything has a kind of expiration. This is what my thing is. Okay, I'm going to teach you everything and then I'm going to leave you alone and I'm going to check in on you and be like are you doing this? And are you doing that? Maybe now we need to see each other instead of three times a week or two times a week, that we're going to start seeing each other. Then we're going to say I'm going to take a break. And this usually takes I'm going to be completely honest. Nothing is going to change overnight. I like to give three months to six months, one year, eighteen months, okay, Like this is how long I think this can take after we do all of the above. Okay, let's just let's stick to Let's stick for a year. I mean, we don't have to write a contract. If things don't work out, they don't work out. Let's stick to a year. And after that year, I'm going to check in on you once every two weeks, okay, and we can just go for a hike and talk. If you're not working out, If you're not this, guess what I am going to come back to you because you do need me. My goal. This is what I want.
Speaker 2: I wanted somebody to like hold like, yeah, of course my goal.
Speaker 4: I'm going to work out with you. I'm going to cry with you. Is it you only going to sit in church instead? Like, I mean, come on, Like, what do you want to do because everyone is different. Maybe you just need to stretch today. You need to be physically moving. You need to eat foods that are real foods, good energy. That's what you need. You have more purpose than just being this wonderful mother and this girlfriend and a friend. You owe it to yourself, babe. You owe it to yourself to understand how special you are.
Speaker 2: You have so much truth for me to listen too.
Speaker 4: It's not hard. You're just hearing it and you know it's true. You know it's true, and you're You're just someone that your body is telling you, like yo, get it together. Come on, and I'm going to send a woman to you that is just going to make you just in an easy way, just by showing you love and being your friend, and we're going to have a great friendship after. Okay, I just want you to know I'm excited. I am too, Honestly, honestly, I'm.
Speaker 2: Very do I sound like too much of a massmar Okay, okay, sound like me. So we decided we'd meet up twice a week but text whenever we felt like it, which is a lot. And so far it's going great. Now let's check back in on another very different coaching experience. Last we heard from Jennifer, she was getting coached by this guy called Ray Higden. At first, she was just spending twenty dollars a month to watch his videos read some business pointers. But then she was asked to join his inner circle and get more direct coaching, and that would cost her five thousand dollars. But Jennifer thought it had to be worth it. Otherwise why would this guy even be in business? So she paid five thousand dollars to be the most coached you could be in the organization. And then they asked her one more thing, did she want to become a coach herself, you know, join them at the top.
Speaker 3: I say yes to becoming a coach for Ray Higden's one hundred k inner circle because I think deep down, every single person in multi level marketing on some level doesn't matter if you're at the top or the bottom of the bottom. You know that it's unsustainable. I mean unless you like got in in nineteen ninety two, like your number one or number two, and also like the company can go under it any time. It's not actually your own business. And you see that, but like you're not willing to see it. But I think on some level, deep down, you know that. So I said yes to coaching, thinking this is going to be more sustainable, like long term. Initially I thought that it would just be alongside of Arbond also your coach. Like the average millionaire has seven streams of income, so if nothing else, this just felt like another income stream that would be coming in.
Speaker 4: So I'd have my.
Speaker 3: Arbonn business, which could fluctuate, but I'd have this coaching business. And even though it was it began as twenty two dollars a session, which was nothing compared to what he was making off of it, it felt like, well maybe, I think in the back of my mind, I thought maybe one day I could be a coach like him. Because what happens is then the goal instead of just getting to the top of your pyramid. You see all these people at the tops of the pyramids then become coaches, life coaches, business coaches, relationship coaches. Because they have all this power and influence. Why not exploit, like make exploit my followers and my downline and make even more money by selling them courses and books and coaching sessions, so that slowly you become indoctrinated, especially as you move up the ranks to want that too, Like your wants and dreams aren't even your own. Really, Like you're you're like made to think this is what you should want. You should want to be rich. Why wouldn't you want to be rich? Why wouldn't you want to live in a seven million dollar home like Rey he lives in a seven million dollar home, Like he bought a boat during the Panda This is exactly the mindset that you begin to believe you need to have. And it's a mindset of privilege and of self righteousness that if I just believe I'm better than everybody else, so shall I be bestowed all the wealth and knowledge of the world. And that's not I was a social worker for Christ's sake.
Speaker 5: Like.
Speaker 3: That's not ever something that I aspire to be, Like I just wanted to help people. But as a coach, you're like, I am helping people, I'm just helping them in a different way. And what's wrong with wanting to live comfortably? Because there isn't anything wrong with that, like inherently, until you become so obsessed, like you begin to believe that money makes you a good person.
Speaker 2: But you are living like this is a lovely house. It's like three times the size of my house. You have an entire corner a lot, you live near lakes and other things. Mushrooms that I want to tell the audience about, like really cool wild mushrooms.
Speaker 3: And I have like a beautiful marriage, and I have beautiful children, healthy children, and but but not even that. It's like I have, I have a family, I live like, I have support, I have like but it's it's all like a mind fuck of like because if you begin to believe that money makes somebody a good person. Every time Ray says, oh, my house was seven million dollars, Oh I spent this much on a coach his you believe he's a good person and he would never scam you, he would never lie to you.
Speaker 4: And so it.
Speaker 3: Becomes easier to invest in his programs in his books because look at what good he is doing. You begin to believe that, like if Ray said, we gave this money to this charity, I started to give to it. Like for example, at one of his events, he heavily promoted Operation Underground Railroad, and I gave like five hundred dollars to that at one of his events because because I just thought Ray is promoting this. It's where it gets to this point where you're not you know, you're not thinking for yourself. If it's like Monkey, see Monkey do he does it? I want to be successful like him, So I'm going to do it too. Say you became Ray Hagden, what did you want your life to look like? If I'm being honest, it was like, I need to live in a mansion, I need to drive a fancy car. I need to take exotic vacations and brag about it all, just like Ray does. I mean I never said those exact words to myself, but like looking back at like when I envisioned myself driving a Mercedes, it was more for like the Mercedes part of it, not I want a reliable car as much as like I convinced myself because like your morality, you're in a constant battle with your own morality. So you convince yourself that I want to drive this Mercedes because it's a reliable car and it's an SUV and I need a bigger car because I have three kids. As much as you try to remain practical, you're just soft that you're like, no, this is about the Mercedes, and I deserve it. It's a sense of entitlement to more in your life, and why shouldn't you deserve that? So I become this coach and people pay five thousand dollars to join Inner Circle. I'm getting paid twenty two dollars a session to have a half an hour to an hour phone call with these people.
Speaker 4: And what it was.
Speaker 3: Is like, tell me your goal, which they already know their goals. What now they're just telling them to me. Okay, so when do you want to make this amount of money by or when do you want to recruit this many people by the end.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 3: So then it's like, okay, well, if you're doing this by the end of the year, it's like this strategy that isn't really a strategy because it depends on your ability to manipulate people how like probably attractive, funny, smart, like who do you know? Like, but because you feel like you've cracked the code on this business, you like I have knowledge, like I've figured it out. I am worthy of teaching other people how to do the same thing. There's also no regulation in the coaching industry. You see these coaches selling today only it's one and eleven dollars regularly valued at five nine and ninety seven dollars. I've literally seen coaches on on Instagram be on vacation in their feed, doing a Facebook live saying, we are planning on staying here another week, So for today only, I'm offering my coaching services for nine to ninety seven. Like when you really think about that, they need to pay for their family vacation to stay another week, and they are just trying to sell you more coaching packages.
Speaker 2: But Jennifer wasn't yet allowed to set her own prices. She spent about a year making that twenty two dollars an hour as a coach in training, along with going to conferences and even getting up on stage with Ray Jennifer take it away.
Speaker 6: Hello, all right, I want to share with you the power of affirmations and how you can use them to overcome your fear of success in leadership. If that's you, I can relate, and I'm going to give you a tip that'll help you think differently about it. It's not that you have a fear of success, it's that you have a fear.
Speaker 4: Of struggling, and.
Speaker 7: You've equated success to having to struggle.
Speaker 6: And if you think that success means struggle, then of course you would have resistance to it.
Speaker 2: But like she said, she was having this fight with herself the whole time. Was she a good guy or a bad guy? Was she actually helping people? Was this the right thing for her and her family.
Speaker 3: I was pouring everything into Inner Circle coaching and my clients, and I actually started to grind my teeth like really badly from like stress and anxiety. And I went to the dentist and they were like, you need to have dental surgery. Like your grinding of your teeth is like pushing this for it. I like was starting to get a gap in my teeth that I didn't have before.
Speaker 4: It's very cute, thank you. But they they.
Speaker 3: Suggested that I get this gum surgery in the back because it was like tearing from grind. I don't know, well it was due to stress, and so I took that time off. So then I have this dental surgery. I schedule it in December. I arrange ahead of time. I move all of my coaching clients and calls because I am now up to like forty clients at this point, Like I'm I had coaching calls like every day, and so I did. I worked overtime. I got all of them out of the way just so I could have this dental surgery. And I'm in pain. I can't speak. I'm hopped up on like I have pain medication, antibiotics. And I get a call from like our boss who's not Ray but and he's like, hey, you know, hey, Jennifer, what are you doing because we have this difficult client. And I was so good at my job, like I was good at speaking with difficult people because of my social work background and having crucial conversations with people and dealing with sensitive subjects and like just all of these things and that was used, like it was exploited to their benefit, like right. So he calls me and he says, we have this difficult client that wants to quit her coaching. And I'm like, I can barely talk. I just had surgery, Like didn't you see I took the days off. And he was like, well, if you can save this client, meaning like get her to not quit and have them not refund her money, then we'll throw in a bonus for you. And I remember the look on Derek, my husband's face. He's like like, are you really going to say yes to this, and I'm like, yeah, he goes, you don't even have to talk. Don't worry about it, you don't even have to talk. Just listen to her. She just really needs someone to listen to. I don't know why somebody else couldn't have done it, but I do. Yeah, well why why just because they wanted to test you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you're at your weakest moment.
Speaker 3: It's true, probably was a test in loyalty or something.
Speaker 2: Let's see how committed you are in your lowest point.
Speaker 3: You're so right, And they probably knew I was questioning things. They probably could tell because I had backed away because I had been like this gung ho, like all in person, I've never thought about that before. So I'm like, yeah, put her on the phone. I'll talk to her. And I did for almost two hours. I could barely talk, and I told her like I could barely talk, and I just listened to her, and she was difficult, but like she had valid concerns. And because I was questioning it actually was very helpful for me to be like, she's not the only one thinking this. And so because I wasn't on that, I was not in the defense. And Ray Higden in rank maker's mode. I really did do feel like that's how I saved her, because she felt like we were on the same level. Well, when she signed back up, I never got that bonus. She I was then told, well, she let's see if she renews, if she sticks it out for the six months, you know, we'll make it even will make it even better for you. Right, it's always this dangling carrot that you're chasing. And I just was so exhausted, I like didn't care. So a friend of mine, who was like very influential in Ray's group, just I mean she was amazing on video. Ray like always recognized her for things she had left earlier that year because she created a course for him that he bundled up and sold and never paid her a dime for. So I had been talking to her a little bit, but I still it's like that cog native dissonance would like shut down my brain. Like I could only like speak to her a little bit because it's like I still felt like I needed to be in two places. But at this point, because I'm I'm so pissed off, and I'm actually allowing myself to be pissed off for like the first time in probably eight years. I'm I'm that's not an exaggeration, and I have this moment like, oh my god, I'm in a cult. Like it was just like everything she was talking about, like with behavior control and information control and emotional control and manipulation, and and I'm like wait what, And so I'm like googling. I'm like starting to do all this on my own. And so I'm I message her and I say, I'm working on my exit strategy, like I see it, but I still didn't know how to leave.
Speaker 2: Jennifer didn't really have time to figure out that exit strategy before her next meeting with Ray.
Speaker 3: We had a monthly meeting with Ray as coaches where basically we went to him with questions and I'm going to shut my camera off. I don't even know if I can look at him. I don't know what to do. But I never felt like I was going to say something like I still felt so confused and alone. I wasn't quite sure. And one of my colleagues who had expressed that she was concerned about some of the things we were doing as coaches.
Speaker 2: She asks Ray Ray, I'll interrupt Jennifer right here, because this meeting of a handful of folks, the chosen ones who were working as coaches for Ray. It happened over zoom, and all of these meetings were recorded so people can return to.
Speaker 8: Them right.
Speaker 4: Oh for it.
Speaker 8: Who's got something?
Speaker 2: We have those recordings, and we don't want to use the voices of anyone but Ray and Jennifer, So I'll paraphrase the actual question this other coach asked him. She said, Ray, I have a coaching client who's been having a bit of a hard time, a bit of a downward spiral. We uncovered like where that came from. She was holding a lot of blame for something that happened in her childhood. I don't know if the awareness is enough to change things. And I'm curious if you have any other suggestions.
Speaker 3: He took it upon himself to just pitch his new book.
Speaker 8: I would really embrace. It's really one of the reasons that our next book, which sounds like is going to get picked up soon. But our next book is called defiance, and I think that help them embrace the concept of defiance of you know, when you're not feeling like doing it anytime you do it, whatever that is, when you don't feel like doing it, you're building that you're building your self worth, you're building your self esteem, you're building that defiance muscle, so you get stronger. And so that's what I would embrace with her. And you may even set some defiant goals of Okay, how about this week we go for five defiants. I want you to locate the things you know you should do that you're not doing, and I want you to do them. Be defiant to your emotion and feeling, because you're the master of your emotions. If you choose to be and do that thing, and the more that you do that thing, then the more self belief you're going to have and the more you're going to be able to easily do the things you know you should be doing.
Speaker 3: And he said the word defiance like thirty seven times. That's not even exaggeration, and I recognized it as neural and linguistic programming through all the stuff I was reading. And then he started to use all of these tactics like information control, behavior control, emotional control. He started like telling us what emotions were acceptable and one's what we're not, and like my brain was like firing on all cylinders, Like I'm like I could. I was just like checking off everything that I was reading about. He is emotionally manipulating us right now, he is controlling us. So then normally I was the person in the meeting who was like like writing, taking all these notes, raising my hand, like smiling, like being so happy. And I think he noticed it on my face that there was a change, and he wanted to, like what every leader of a high control environment wants to do is they want to make sure that they check your disobedience. So I think he saw it as like, like, what's with the look on Jennifer's face?
Speaker 2: And so he's like, Riola, what's going on, lady in rad.
Speaker 1: Nothing? What's going on with you?
Speaker 8: Such a but an endearing tone, Does anyone happen?
Speaker 1: I don't really agree with the advice. I feel like it's teaching people to deny their intuition.
Speaker 8: Okay, so what would you advise in that situation?
Speaker 1: So I always think when people have like feelings that come up, I don't think they're emotional addictions. I think, especially for women, like their feelings that come up are valid and that's almost like how women move through things. And I think like continuing to tell people like just distract from your emotions and activity that will get people to success, but they end up burned out. I mean I hear people all the time who are like, you.
Speaker 9: Know, there's so much activity, there's so many trainings, like we just had the Reals Challenge and the Influencer Brand Secrets, and now there's this one Ke challenge, and it's like all a huge distraction from what they really need to be doing with their business. And then what happens is we come to you with this information and you say, oh, it's something wrong with their mindset, and so I just think, for lack of a better word, it's all bullshit.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 8: I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Because if we just keep perpetuating this idea that these people don't know themselves, then they're always going to feel like they're not enough, and they're always going to.
Speaker 1: Be like, I need to invest in this course, in this program, in this training, and they're.
Speaker 7: Always going to be like chasing this ideal of like.
Speaker 1: Time, money, freedom, cool. And if people are coming into this program to get results in their network marketing business, I get that there are a lot of people that are sold this program that have no business being here, that have deep emotional issues, not even at the point of taking any action. And yet they're sold the program and we're supposed to pick up the slack for that. We are like glorified counselors. And so then then I would suggest that at the sales level, are you just selling the program to sell the program? Are you actually selling it to the people that need it?
Speaker 2: And I don't think that that is consistent. Some of the other women on the call jumped in to defend Ray, not Jennifer. Here's another paraphrased quote from the woman who originally got the conversation started after hearing what Jennifer had to say. Sometimes they don't have the information, and it's like showing them where the information is and then helping them apply it. Like there's all these trainings and I now set them up in advance and say, hey, just so you know, there's a ton of information here. It's like a reference library. You wouldn't go into a reference library and try to read everything all at once. I feel like that's my responsibility to direct them to the right information and the right tasks.
Speaker 8: If they're saying, hey, I would like to work on the emotional stuff, then we need to help them and as best as we can get into some kind of action.
Speaker 1: Well, last time this was brought up, your answer was to sell them more coaching. And so that's the kind of stuff that I feel like, is this really about helping people?
Speaker 8: What do you mean about last time this was brought up, it was to sell them more coaching? What does that mean?
Speaker 1: The last time we had a meeting with you and it was brought up like people not getting results, whether they weren't taking action or not, people not getting results, your answer was to sell them more coaching, get them in the program, sell them more coaching. If they get to our event, if they sign up for another round. We know that we can help them, but we're not helping them. So it's not fair to the client to just sell them more coaching. That doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Then another attendee jumps in. Sometimes they're perfectly line stuck for a little while, and that's where they need to be. So I don't know. I'm not sure why the energy of this today feels the way it does.
Speaker 1: The energy is a s way is because I've just been thinking this for a long time and I'm finally brave enough to say it. I'm finally not jumping on this call like fawning at Ray's feet. And I'm allowed to speak out because some of them are coming to us with I need like I'm struggling mentally, and I feel like we're coached to tell them, well, what happened in your childhood to make you feel that way? And it's like it's just like shame and bringing up like trauma when we're not licensed therapists to do so.
Speaker 8: So one you know, we we create options as a coach. If they're asking you, hey, should I do this? If you don't think they should, then don't sell it to them, right, It's not that big of a deal. I think the incongruence of if you've hated this for so long, like I don't, I don't know why you've stuck around. If you you hate, you know what we're doing here and you hate, you think that I'm never you're a guy or whatever.
Speaker 1: I never said hate.
Speaker 8: I just see the it's it's a strong emotion and I and I appreciate it. But I never said I wouldn't stay in an arena. Can you hear me felt this way?
Speaker 1: Can you hear me?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: I never said hate.
Speaker 2: That was the last time Ray and Jennifer ever spoke, her passwords were taken away. She lost a bunch of friends, and now she spends a lot of her time one loving on her children and her husband. Two hunting for morel mushrooms, which I taught her to do when I was there, but didn't record it because I was a little paranoid that one of you sleuths would hear something in the background, like a train perhaps or a certain bird call, and you'd be able to deduce the sweet spots full of morals that we found within like the first half hour of looking. So I know I didn't record that, but it did happen. I think we got like two dozen first outing seriously, and three she spending her time helping other people out of the situation she found herself in. Follow her on TikTok at. Jennifer spelled like j E nni fer dot. Riola spelled like r A ja la if you can believe it.
Speaker 3: For eight years, I poured my blood, sweat and tears into an MLM to create success.
Speaker 1: I became a VP within that company.
Speaker 9: Which is like the top two percent, and I was even.
Speaker 5: Recruited to become a coach within the industry across many companies, and I have no idea when it happened, but before I knew it, all of my time was consumed by the mission of these groups. I was coerced to constantly be losing and chasing time and money and calling it freedom. And so I'm using this page to tell my story about how I woke up from this cult behavior.
Speaker 3: I loved coaching others for a long time.
Speaker 5: I loved my company, I loved the products that they had, I loved my upline.
Speaker 3: So it's not what you think.
Speaker 5: I really just woke up and could no longer ignore all the bad vibes in an industry that preaches good vibes. Only again, I just want to make things right for myself and for those of hurt.
Speaker 3: I'm healing, and I no longer.
Speaker 5: Care about, you know, only seeing the positive and putting a positive spin on all this. I want to be honest so that it doesn't happen to you or someone that you love.
Speaker 2: Coming up on the dream. The one thing you need to know and be really good at to manipulate people change their mindsets and get them to pay you for it. Did you just hypnotize me in anyway not say necessarily say more.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm trying to condition you.
Speaker 2: What is neuro linguistic pro program? Well, neural linguistic program means neuro the mind body connection.
Speaker 4: But like I don't understand. What what do you say? Okay?
Speaker 2: So our world or map is made up of our five senses? Okay, Okay? Do I have to be doing this all the time?
Speaker 4: So what is the MLP?
Speaker 6: Sort?
Speaker 2: Jesus, because I just want you to give me.
Speaker 4: The let me give you a process.
Speaker 1: The Dream is.
Speaker 2: Written, hosted, and executive produced by me Jane Marie. Our producer is Mike Richter, with help from Nancy Golumbiski and Joy Sandford. Our editor is Peter Clowney. The Dream is a co production of Little Everywhere in Pushkin Industries. If you love this show, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus, offering bonus content, exclusive binge opportunities, and ad free listening across our network for just six ninety nine a month. Look for the Pushkin Plus channel on Apple Podcasts or at pushkin dot fm, and while you're there, please sign up for our newsletter. To find more Pushkin podcasts. Listen on the iHeartRadio app Apple podcasts or wherever you get your shows