Speaker 1: The Around the NFL Podcast believes in your franchise quarterback. Well maybe not that guy.
Speaker 2: From the Chris Westling podcast studio. It is Around the NFL Bonus episode. He and Alf Dan Hans is here, Greg Rosenthal, Mark Sessler. Boys, this is something that we've been wanting to do. We were just looking for the right window to do it. And at the quarter pole ish, it feels like a good time to check in with the QB Index, which is a column for NFL dot com that has been in very good hands through the years. In fact, on today's program, I'm the only one that hasn't written the QB Index writing it next year, Yeah, well, over my dead body. But I've done power rankings. But it was a Chris Westling joint rip, it was a Greg Rosenthal, It then was a Mark Sessler joint, and then this offseason he handed the reins to a man we're gonna welcome in right now. He needs no introduction actually, because you see him every Sunday night on the Flagship program. He just got in a pump and he's a busy man. He's getting work to depth. We're gonna talk to Eli about that. By the way, in the newsroom.
Speaker 3: Nick Shook.
Speaker 2: He is the man, the myth, the writer of the NFL QB Index.
Speaker 4: Hi buddey, Hello, fellas, how are we doing today?
Speaker 5: I was very damaged seck of you. Hello fellas.
Speaker 6: I love that we got you at the quarter pole, because that was the week when I would do the QB Index year after year that I would officially like, I would put it in the notes that you take away any previous thoughts of like how good this quarterback is and it's just about twenty twenty three alone, and it's a lot. It's a big enough sample size that it's like, Okay, now I don't feel so bad like this year, for instance, totally burying Joe Burrow behind him, nobody's you got a just evaluate it on this year and this year it's not pretty.
Speaker 2: A little shot below the knees, right, It shook before you could say a word.
Speaker 4: Now this is you're to see a ton of that this week. I felt the same way. I look back and I was like, you know what, Look, it's been a month. They haven't done anything offensively with Joe Burrow. It's time to bury him. So I'm glad that you.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I would have even MARB. But we'll get to that writer.
Speaker 3: So shook.
Speaker 2: The assignment itself, by the way, before we get into the top ten. Yeah, with power rankings, the criticism could be withering from outside. Dude, and quarterbacks people are very very It's a very personal subject a quarterback for a sports fan and their favorite team, So I would imagine it gets pretty personal in your timeline. People don't take kindly, like maybe Bengals fans of a guy that's a Browns writer of the QB index burying one of the generational players at QB.
Speaker 3: At this stage of the season, you get a lot of heat for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's too bad that I don't have a better professional picture of me actually doing my job other than when I was with the Browns and our great photographer there it's dark. He shout out to him, because that's my banner foot all on my Twitter page. And I can't tell you how many times people get to mentions you go, look at this guy, he's a Browns fan.
Speaker 5: You gotta change it. I got to change you.
Speaker 7: Do you have to change?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Instead you're doing a pump and you'll get a lot less.
Speaker 3: Don't.
Speaker 2: Don't because everybody wants to now pretend that they're not fans.
Speaker 3: I like that you're a fan, not a shot at you. Mark.
Speaker 7: I'm not pretending anything, but I would say, Shook. The other problem you have is proud. She's also five years old.
Speaker 5: That guy.
Speaker 7: You got to update it when you're burying it, like someone like.
Speaker 3: Who me check? I think I gotta update mine as well.
Speaker 7: It's time go ahead, Mark, I wasna say when you have Burrow like way down there, it's like people don't read the intro to these articles or any context around what's happening. They just didn't think that you're out of an outer space, dropping like an all pro level quarterback in the middle of nowhere, and it's like it is based on what's happened in these recent weeks my friends. Yeah, it's a rough existence.
Speaker 4: I considered writing an intro about Kirk Cousins a couple of weeks ago, but I just to fold it into his little blurb because I was getting a lot of hate for not including Kirk Cousins in the top ten when he was near the top of the league. And statistically, I've had people in my Instagram mentions or my dms calling me ignorant, telling me, I should be fired going to length's beyond that for my opinions on this thing. But look, guys, most of you aren't watching every game. You're watching your favorite teams game. I'm watched every game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of there's a lot of got to bite your tongue because so many of the so much of the criticism comes from dumb naive.
Speaker 6: Again, but we have been watching all the games, and we're gonna come at you with flamethrowers.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Yes, this will be honest, honest criticism, but with respect for the man that does the work, watches the game and then compiles the list thoughtfully. Let's start with the top ten and we'll work our way downward. Let's take a look at it right here, Josh Allen. Yes, that shouldn't be a surprise, because who's playing better than this man in the last three weeks.
Speaker 3: Week one, a oberration.
Speaker 2: Here you go, Number two, Tua, number three, Pat Mahomes even after a clunker on Sunday night, Lamar Jackson four, Jalen Hurts five, Justin Herbert six, down two spots, Brock Purdy at seven, dak At eight, Matthew Stafford at nine and look at that.
Speaker 3: Isn't that funny? Why don't we start there?
Speaker 2: Jared Goff and Matt Stafford back to back in twenty twenty three in the QB Index. Mark, I'd be curious your thoughts about this because you were writing this when GoF had kind of his reinvention with the Lions. GoF is an easy guy to put in the top ten because who's been more consistent than him this year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think Goff last year when he started to really statistically rise up and like was a different version than you had to like separate everything you kind of think about Jared Goff into what you're actually seeing, and like in that offense he fits so well and I think he cracked my top ten by the end of the season. But it was one where you're just like, you're gonna get flamed no matter what you do with the Jared Goff, someone's gonna dis disagree with these Nick.
Speaker 4: I think so much of this is, at least the perception of it, is built on reputation, which is actually oddly enough, how the first month usually looks until you get to this point. But Jared Goff has consistently outperformed his reputation. I mean, even going back to Week one, I was surprised to see so many people I mentioned saying I can't believe the Lions won despite how Jared Goff played. He didn't lose them the game. In fact, he put them in multiple positions to win the game. That's what he's done for the majority of this year. The only big mistake he made was turning the ball over in that overtime loss to the Seahawks. Otherwise he's operating this offense. He's probably playing some of the best football of his career. Yeah, it's not spectacular Josh Allen level stuff, but it's consistent, it's reliable, and they're winning football games because of it. So I feel pretty good about him being in the top ten.
Speaker 6: It's clean. I think he's played better this year. Unbalanced because I think he's been more consistent to your point than he did a year ago. But I would have him in Stafford still quite separate when I looked at the ranks, because I've initially I just looked at it last week and you had Stafford in the middle of the pack, and now now you've you've bumped him up to nine. He's someone and I know you're not doing enough stats because his stats aren't great, like touchdown interception. It's why I never like passer rating. Touchdown interceptions just not great. I mean, it's it's a it's a bullet point to pay attention to. But if you're watching Stafford week after week as you are, I'm just so impressed with the quality of throws and I and it's so hard in this exercise to divorce him from the situation. But I think in just terms of high level quarterbacking what he's doing, he's a top five quarterback to me so far this year, even before last week. I know he had the okay, too bad Bengals game, but in three out of four weeks, I think you can look the way he's played, and in that week he is up there with the Josh Allens and the Mahomes for me right now, where so I'd push him up even a little bit higher.
Speaker 5: But I'm glad. You'm glad you got him into the top ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the funny thing, greg Is. I don't even disagree with you. It's just that he came from the middle of the pack. Yeah, and if he hadn't had that bad Week three game, he'd be up there right now. And you know it's funny because you say you try to divorce them from the situation, but you have to consider the situation which he's operating right and look at his receivers. It's pukinnakua and it's two two at well, he's got Ronnie Rivers taking handoffs in the back of the Kyram Williams is their lead back and a remade offensive line that's playing better than I anticipated that they would. And most importantly, he's healthy. He looks really good. He looks like old Matt Stafford. He's pushing them to victories right now's.
Speaker 6: Just better, maybe in some ways better Like I I think he's like kind of taken the things he's learned over the years, and physically he's still great right now.
Speaker 5: At least we'll see about the hit.
Speaker 6: But uh, like, I think he's playing as well as he did in the twenty twenty one playoffs.
Speaker 2: Put it that way, Mark throwout in this top ten. Someone whose placement surprises you, well, you've mentioned the Matthew Stafford.
Speaker 7: I can I actually give you credit for brock party because I feel like other people would take brock Party and just because of the offense that he's in the environment like that, we all get it. It may inflate the Jimmy Garoppolos of the world and other quarterbacks like Rock Purty. I don't know what else he needs to do. He may not be as physically impressive as the person above him, justin Herbert, But what more at this level do you need to do to produce? He was twenty for twenty one a week ago. He distributes the ball all over the place like he's I think to be a seventh round pick and to be what he's done since week fourteen last year. This is like a pristine performance by a quarterback. No one expected it at number seven. I think other people just sort of drop him out of the top ten because of the I guess certain things that you just assume coming in, like brock Party deserves seven.
Speaker 2: And to kind of dovetail off that show. It kind of is in terms of what you do. It's interesting to me, how do you factor in when you make this list. You know, the setup around him, the environment, like you obviously aren't digging Brock for it to have him in the top ten. I'd probably have him outside the top ten because of that reason, but I wouldn't have him buried either because he's still playing at a high level.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know what matters to me so much, and I think this is extremely applicable with Brock Purdy is are you hurting your team? That's the first thing I need to check off the list. If you're not hurting your team, all right, then you're we're in the positive territory. Are you helping your team win games?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: That's the next positive, you know area. That's that's are you executing the offense? Are you winning games for your team? Those are the three different levels that I kind of consider these guys. And that's the thing is that they're not but you can help push your team to a victory with your performance. What he's doing right now is executing this offense exactly as it's intended. I think that if he was in some other situations, he wouldn't be as good, but you could say that about most anybody. And more than anything, he's playing clean football. It's kind of like Jared Goff in a sense, except that it's much more effortless, even than the Lions offense. That the forty nine ers is. I mean, yeah, he's got a lot of talent around him, of course, but he's calling. He's cool, he's collected, He's somebody I enjoy watching because the confidence in that pocket right now, sometimes to a fault occasionally, it's just so remarkable for a guy who's so young, he plays it like he's a ten year veteran. He's not hurting them. He's throwing the ball downfield to Brandon Ayyuk, he's dumping an off on time to Christian McCaffrey. It's just a well oiled machine, and a lot of that has to do with a guy who executes it perfectly, and it makes a lot of sense why they committed to him in the off season.
Speaker 6: It's so funny, though, because we just went through this five year debate about Jimmy G in the exact same offense, and it's like an ab test because I think you can see pretty clearly he's better than Jimmy G. I think he is, and he has a higher ceiling than Jimmy G. Now, Jimmy G just by wins losses by EPA per play, was a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: I mean, just by those stats. I mean by if he was healthy.
Speaker 6: But like in terms of like the EPA per play, he was top four every year, touchdown, interception wins, losses, top five.
Speaker 3: Every uncomfortable even putting upload and Hall of Fame in the right.
Speaker 5: No, no, and I'm not so that's why.
Speaker 6: And I think you can look at Purty and I think you can see him a little better. And I was like, Dan I saw that, I'm like, oh, that's too high for Purtty because I don't because to me, I think you look at Stafford, you look at Hurts.
Speaker 5: I would even throw Cousins. I would actually throw Gino in there.
Speaker 6: This is where it gets murky and stroud, and you think, is he making the guys around him better? Is he elevating the offensive? Is he doing high level quarterback stuff? But then I decided to be fair to you actually make my own list, and in the end it's like, actually, no, I still would have him at a dock and a head of golf, and I have him around eleven or twelve. It's not that big of a difference from eight or nine. Like a few spots. It does hurt me, so to see him below Stafford, it hurts me.
Speaker 2: We got twelve minutes into the show until Greg sai, we're gonna work off his list now so we can say goodbye and thank you again, see you Sunday night.
Speaker 5: I mean, you gotta make the list.
Speaker 6: It's like people who say, oh, that's a snub, you snubbed them from the Pro Bowl, Well, then tell me what you would have put it in.
Speaker 5: So I had to make my own rinks. And then I realized, you know.
Speaker 2: What, it's not that all right, that's that's a good theory in a way to do it. Before we move into the middle tier and anybody else jump in, I want to give you a shout out here for Jalen Hurts, and he has not moved from next week. You had him number five last week, number five this week. Some of the it almost felt like the Salem Witch trials, the hysteria around the passing game of the Eagles and all that stuff, like that's fine, this is a top five quarterback. They're figuring things out. You saw that against Washington. The passing game with AJ Brown was unstoppable. Devanta Smith had a huge play. Like I'm feeling very good about Hurts, and that's respect for Mahomes obviously, keeping him in the top three despite him not being a top three producer through four weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. This is the first time that I had Mahomes out of the top two, and it felt justified because of the game that he had in New York and but the body of work overall. You know, he's had a spectacular game against the Bears, kind of middling stuff otherwise a tough one even though they won that game against the Jets, So I mean, he's still that guy's great week.
Speaker 6: Run though I thought, like that's the thing. I to me, he would have stayed in the top two. You're right, the Jets game was bad. I mean, yeah, last week was bad. But before that, like I know, the numbers, I guess weren't there. But who was out playing him? Maybe Allen maybe too, So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: You said one big I just mean from numbers statistically, one big game, and he's been okay as a producer. But that's not just what this list is about. And I like that mark anything else before we move on? No, I want to move on, all right, I got something in the next tier. That's all right, We'll start you off. Then let's check out this second tier here. Number eleven, down two spots. Kirk Cousins, Gino Smith at twelve, down six.
Speaker 3: Oh, Greggy's sharping his fangs.
Speaker 5: No, I'm impressed yet, Gino at six going into week four.
Speaker 3: So I love you for that same.
Speaker 2: How about this, Texans fans, you got a new world because CJ. Stroud is up seven spots to thirteen. Sam Howell up eleven. He washes that four pick game out of his mouth and moves up to fourteen. Baker fifteen and shook the Browns fan and is feeling good about that. Russell Wilson down two to sixteen. Anthony Richardson, hmm, I don't like that. We'll talk about it at seventeen. Trevor Lawrence down seven to eighteen. Woof, Justin Fields and Jordan Love down five spots to twenty. I should mention Justin Field's up twelve spots to nineteen, So do the math. He was buried at the bottom of this list before week four.
Speaker 3: Mark. What are you seeing?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 7: I do we should talk about Anthony Richardson. That's a tough's that's a tough one in this exercise, and like you're gonna it's that this is gonna be interesting season to see where he goes on this list. Trevor Lawrence to me, I just think that, like, I don't see a quarterback that's lesser than last season, but I do see a lot of I think he like he's got top some of the top drops in the league in terms of like not being helped by his wideouts. He said, some tough situations in the red zone, in the ed zone. I think like Trevor Lawrence to me, I would comfortably put him above like the Sam Howell, the Baker Mayfield, the Russell Wilson of the world, above Gino. Frankly, I just and part of me. And this is why I struggle with his exercise a little bit, is I couldn't separate like who I truly believe Trevor Lawrence is from maybe some up and down performance of the offense, and like I'd move these guys all around during the exercise of it. But Lawrence, to me, he just stands out. I think he's PFF's number two quarterback. That's a different metric. Let them do their thing, but wow, that's a little showy by PFF.
Speaker 3: It's a little showy. But I think that.
Speaker 7: Trevor Lawrence like, has just not been that different from the guy that I came into the season loving personally. So Nick, I wonder what brought you to the point of putting them down at eighteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think he goes back to Greg's point that after a month of football, you kind of reorganize based on what they've done this year. Because I agree with you wholeheartedly. That was one of the more difficult ones. And it's why, as you know, producer Eric copied and pasted my spreadsheet that I made. Do you guys like my color coordinations?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Right, you were much more organized than.
Speaker 3: Wow, look at that. Whoa you have the team color? That was you?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I thought that was No, that was me, And so I cautioned putting the move week by week in there. It's really for my own tracking than anything, But I thought, he why not send it over because it looks drastic with some guys like Lawrence didn't have a seven spot drop worthy performance last week. It's just that after a month where he started where I've kind of kept him based on a mix of Rick tation performance and then now just looking at this season, I just feel like they're not quite there yet, and it's really not his fault. Mark's completely right. There were some near misses, there were some drops, there were some issues. The offense has just really not gotten completely going. But at the same time, I know who he is and I know that eventually they're going to get there. They just haven't put together complete performances as an offense with Lawrence so far, and that's not entirely his fault. But that's just where he stands.
Speaker 6: I'd push back, though, because I can get why PFF has I'm surprised hees too seems high, but they're grading on.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, by the way, right, But that's THEFF holmost like, look at us. We now he's here's the second best quarterback in football this year.
Speaker 5: Andy Dalton too, And I used to try to do this too.
Speaker 6: I had my own little system to it that I didn't think was scientific, but it was my system of you grade each player, you grade positive negatives. And they're looking at Lawrence and I kind of know which quarterbacks end up doing well in their system. It's quarterbacks who don't make bad throws. He doesn't do that that on a play to play basis. If you just grade him, isn't having many negatives and is going to have a lot of positives.
Speaker 5: And I still see that with him this year. Now two is a step too far for me.
Speaker 6: But I think he's running the offense they're asking and occasionally maybe he's getting rid of the ball too quickly, not holding on for that extra beat and looking for something downfield. It's almost like he's anticipating that he's got a bad offensive line, and they do have a bad offensive line. So I would have him lower, but I would have him in the top ten because I think he's playing at quite a high level. To me, he would be in the golf Gino area, and i'd put him maybe a little higher than that, right at the back end of the top ten, even just on this season, because I think it's more the offense and what's been around him that's hurting his numbers.
Speaker 4: And you know, the other product this is too, because that's essentially where he was prior to this week. It's the re shuffling of the other guys that just knocks some guys down, you know, moving Stafford up, moving hal backup, who's been the most voluable player in this entire group so far. Eventually, guys just kind of slide down and then you look at it your reorder a little bit more and you think, okay, after a month, that's kind of where they are. Even though I know Trevor's a better player than that ranking.
Speaker 2: Right now, I think this, I think he did a really good job here with what you call the middle class to the upper middle class. I would maybe personally have Richardson a little higher because I think he's shown himself to be a playmaker, but durability is part of the gig as well.
Speaker 5: I thought you were going to say you wanted Richardson lower.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, like this is Dan Scoyem, Yeah, I mean I mean up around Cousins and Gino's okay, I think he should be just I just think he's done a lot in a little amount of time. But the playing time is in part because he's been hurt, and that's a problem as well.
Speaker 6: I love Howell Mayfield Russ back to back to back because they're all comps for each other, right right. They all remind me of each other and it's interesting to look at them. That is your Dalton line right now. That is kind of the middle, at least of the NFL right now. Shook, you nailed it, Howell, Mayfield Wilson and how about c J.
Speaker 5: Starta.
Speaker 6: I know, I don't think anyone's arguing I'm not that that seems perfect for his spot.
Speaker 7: But what a I'd put him above Gino even so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what a money out of him?
Speaker 3: I'm too low and Kirk similar I think put him right on the end doorstep at the top ten. That's glorious.
Speaker 5: It's funny.
Speaker 6: Those three actually remind me of each other a little bit stylistically too, just in terms of how they win, what they do well. Tell us what you've just seen in CJ. Stroud, Just what you liked about him?
Speaker 4: Accuracy, poise, confidence in an offense that suits him perfectly. He's throwing guys open. He looks like he's been in the league for five years. They're winning because of him. He looks way better than even I anticipated. And the Texans are a fun watch because he's playing quarterback right now. And you know that was a big jump to move him up there, but I felt he completely earned it. And the only difference really, like you kind of get a Stroud and Richardson sandwich here with those three guys that are similar comps in between, and the only reason is is because Richardson hasn't been in every game and you know the durability thing. That's it. That's the only reason otherwise CJ Stroud right now, like we've talked about, you know, this week leading candidate for Offensive Rookie the Year, and I think Richardson's going to make a strong play for that. If if Richardson continues to play like this, they're gonna be neck and neck in these rankings throughout the year.
Speaker 2: The only one I'm seeing here that maybe I'm bumping up against a little bit before we move on, Jordan Love, you have at twenty, I would imagine for you he's been a kind of a tough evaluation because he's shown really exciting moments and moments of leadership and playmaking, but also he's had a lot of his core missing and there have been some dry spots. Thursday night against the Lines last week was not great shakes. Has he been a little tough for you to play so far?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just hasn't played a complete game yet. You know, there's been flashes where he's gone out there and led them back to victory against the Saints and done some really good things, some exciting things, but watching him is kind of an unhinged experience because he doesn't quite have everything together underneath him, and he'll try to make the superhero play a little bit too often, and then he kind of settles down shorter passes, gets into a rhythm, and then suddenly that offense is unlocked and you find success just not complete and consistent over a four game stretch so far. But I like what I see from him. I think he's got a bright future.
Speaker 2: And I'll just make a quick note before we move to the back end that we'reding this ahead of TNF kickoff week five, So don't get fired up about fields and Howell's placement if they do something marvelous or terrible on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Very possible with those two quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Yes, so this is.
Speaker 2: All through week four, and now let's move to the bottom of Now, bottom of the barrel is not fair, but this is the bottom third of the QB index. Ryan Tannehill up eight spots, so he was buried, but he moves up to twenty one. Derek Carr drops one spot to twenty two. Joe Burrow, that's the conversation that we hinted at it early on and we should get back into it. Down eleven to twenty three. Eight In O'Connell the Raiders rookie twenty four.
Speaker 3: Look at Joe Burrow just ahead of Ader O'Connell. What a world.
Speaker 2: Josh Dobbs twenty five, up three spots. Zach Wilson, after showing signs of life on Sunday Night Football, up six to twenty six. Bryce Young the first overall pick at twenty seven, down one spot. Mac Jones takes a nosedive after the Cowboys debacle, Down nine spots to twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Can he pick it?
Speaker 2: Down seven spots after a rough one against Houston to twenty nine.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones another.
Speaker 2: Dirt nap, down seven to number thirty after a wipeout on Monday Night Football. Desmond Ritter more or less stays where he is at number thirty one, rightfully so and yeah, Dorian Thompson Robinson shook. He watched that game yesterday and that was that was a tough debut for dtr Get well soon. Deshaun Watson. Where's Deshaun Watson? So he's off the list because he so?
Speaker 7: Can I like I don't shook? Or they hope they're helping you out here more last year, like when Jalen Hurts went out for this week and Minshew came in two weeks, you have to like you act like Jalen Hurts doesn't exist, and suddenly Gardner Minshew comes into the lineup. And I'm sure they've corrected this because I had to. It would cause me a four or five days of utter havoc. But you know, Jalen Hurts was hanging out at one or two and then he goes out, and it's like they put out Mark Sessler's top ten QB list and Jalen Hurts isn't even in the time ten and there isn't like an asterisk that says like injured players not shown. And just like suddenly everyone east of the Mississippi is like taking out like a verbal machine gun to take me out. So I hope for your saying that's not happening.
Speaker 2: I just say, and I'm sure it is happening. Shook still, but I mean a little how the sausage gets made. But I would say maybe a conversation with Ali Bompuri.
Speaker 3: No, he he met these guys into the list.
Speaker 7: He was very receptive. So this isn't like me a year later trying.
Speaker 3: To I'm saying, let's get the shot just because he missed the week.
Speaker 6: But you know, so you can blame me because that was you know, I started, and this was my policy. But you could change the policy because I wanted to write about who has played.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 6: You want to like if a rookie you waited till the week after, but if you have a rookie play in his first game, you want to write about how he looked, and so you would.
Speaker 7: And when you're writing about these guys like eighteen nineteen weeks in a row getting a fresh rice and there is not that that was part writing twenty twos about Derek Carr. You I'm ready to like jump off a cliff at some point. This is definitely an offline converse.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, no, no, yeah, guys, you're what you're doing is I'm taking a lot of bullets every week with this, and he shouldn't be part of the job. But you just gave me like a handful of smokernades, incredible cover. I'm moving from one bunker to the next right now. Thank you, you guys.
Speaker 6: I couldn't believe how low Josh Dobbs was this is where I think, if you're getting to week five, maybe more than any player on this list, you're just valuing how he's played on a week to week basis.
Speaker 5: He's taught.
Speaker 6: I think he's number two in the NFL espn QBR in terms of rushing value. He's like middle of the pack overall, but rushing value isn't that crazy. He's been a great runner, great decision maker, I would say, been accurate. You know, he doesn't have all the pop in his arm and all that, and the production has been good, not great. To me, he's up there in the hot maybe a head even of the Dalton line in terms of how he's.
Speaker 3: On your lengths, on your rankings just then.
Speaker 7: But he reminds me i'd like to see he's like this year's Jacoby Brissette, who like people were like, no, I'm not believing what I'm seeing.
Speaker 6: Right, it's not as high as maybe I'm making it sound. I had him seventeen, so a little higher, seventeen sixteen, right near russen Baks.
Speaker 3: You have him at twenty five.
Speaker 5: So to me, he's he's right in that group where man, he's playing some good ball.
Speaker 4: He would have sat there if he hadn't had accuracy issues in the first half in Week four. That was the biggest drawback to me, was that he missed a number of open guys over the middle early in that game as they fell behind. He was he was erratic and and in the win over the Cowboys, he did his job well. The rushing value really showed in that game, but it wasn't necessarily a game where he had to go throw them to victory. As much as he did his job, did it well. So I think that if he were to put together a type of game that he had in the second half against the forty nine ers in a full game in the week ahead, you'll see him rise back up. He's the one guy where I want to keep nudging him. I just just come out.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's no way Joe Burrow's played better than him this year for instance, No or car or Tannehill.
Speaker 5: That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's a tough assignment though it is.
Speaker 5: No, No, it's not. He knows it's not personal.
Speaker 3: How about so Bryce Young?
Speaker 2: I feel like this is shaping up as a tricky one triggering for Panthers fans, For Bryce young. You're probably feeling a lot of frustration because there are quarterbacks in your class who are thriving that were taken right behind you. Not only can you, are you dealing with injury issues. The surrounding talent is not at a high level. Is he a difficult evaluation again because of the injuries and the supporting cast? Like, what are you seeing from him as a quarterback so far?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Its situation does matter. I also think this is an uninspired offense under Frank Reich and his staff so far. They're not doing him a lot of favors. But he's also not doing himself a lot of favors. You know, he's playing too much superhero ball, trusting his physical attributes that found success at Alabama that are not going to create the same positive plays in the NFL. I mean, I think about that stripsack that he gave up, you know that basically swung the game on Sunday against the Vikings. It was a play where you just take the sack. You know, you see the rush in your face, you take the sack. He tried to get rid of the ball, tried to evade the tackler, He fumbled his return for a touchdown. Those are the types of mistakes where he just thinks he can do everything and he can't quite do everything, hasn't learned it yet. And then the situation also matters as well. Doesn't have the best supporting cast. So I think that he has a positive, bright future. It's just that, you know, you gotta understand, you got to play a little bit more within yourself.
Speaker 7: At this point, I look at the bottom and I forget dtr here, but Bryce Young, Mac Jones, Canny Pickett, Daniel Jones, Desmond Rider. I wish I could come at you with something, but I don't have a huge problem with that at all. This is where these guys belong right now.
Speaker 4: Well, A couple of those guys have bad offensive lines and poor schemes, Kenny Pickett being one of those. It's a combination of the two. In Pittsburgh, it feels like every third down they face is third and twelve or longer. I think he's starting to see ghosts because he doesn't trust his offensive line. Daniel Jones was mauled on Monday night. I felt bad for him because you do see glimpses of him, but overall he has not lived up the expectation. And then Mac Jones, another guy who tries to do a little bit too much, throwing a pass across the field, getting picked off, throwing an ugly interception, later getting stripsack from behind trying to evade. It was a really rough game for him. It wasn't as ugly as I thought it was going to be statistically speaking, But then I look back and I was like, ah, man, this is not a good trend for him right now. He has not settled in at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's circle back to Burrow because I think, again, being a veteran at listicles here at NFL dot com, it's kind of a good one for you because that's the headline. Burrow drops into the bottom tier or whatever in the nether world, and you can back it up statistically, you can back it up with the eye test. And before people can, you know, get on you, including Bengals fans, you say, listen, you're seeing it. This is not Joe Burrow. I mean, his name is Joe Burrow. He still looks like a full grown Macaulay Culkin like. He still looks like Joe Burrow. But the player robbed of his athleticism is not the same player, and you could even argue Shook, you could argue you could put him lower because of how stilted and really doa this offense is with this type of quarterback right now, I've been vocal about you he should be out of the lineup until he gets a little bit better or a lot better. But they see I determined to have him play through this tough one.
Speaker 4: We are bordering on gross negligence in the part of the Bengals right now with Joe Burrow because he is not physically capable of being the player that he wants to be that he's gotten to this point in his career by being He can't move. He's a statue in the pocket. He's like Tom Brady in the pocket, except he doesn't have tom Brady's priestnappabilities and cannot deliver the same way tom Brady did without getting out and running. It's not that Joe Burrow is a mobile quarterback per se, but his ability to extend plays, navigate the pocket, and then pick up rushing you know, positive gains when he needs to is part of what makes him great. And instead he's stuck behind an offensive line. That's okay, that's not great, but is okay is not doing him any favors. Neither is the fact that the Bengals for some reason don't want to run the football with Joe Mixon other than on the first drive of the game. Their play calling has done him no favorites. They're asking him to do way too much right now, and that's why you're getting the stagnant offense where Joe Burrow looks rather mortal instead of some superhuman deserving of the highest contract in the NFL.
Speaker 7: Backing up where he puts him, I like it.
Speaker 6: That was very I don't know if you happen to hear the a flea like baseline or something that was in the background there, but shook Us went through it like.
Speaker 3: That was flee. We actually paid him four hundred dollars to lay that down.
Speaker 4: Underneath that was a phone vibrating on the table.
Speaker 5: That's what that was.
Speaker 3: Suck. It's about the illusion, my friend. Yeah, show, I.
Speaker 6: Thought it was great. That was It was like C. J. Stroud ignoring the pressure in the pocket. I just want to say a shout out.
Speaker 5: I'm with you on where you put Tannehill.
Speaker 2: But just by the way, that was Nick Westling calling you angry about Joe Burrow.
Speaker 5: And also seeing I was right about Stroud.
Speaker 6: The Westlings were high on high on Stroud, but they're high on every Ohio state.
Speaker 4: Can we talk Tannehill real quick?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I'm gonna call him now from now on Diet Kirk Cousins, because you know he's not as delicious as a classic Coca Cola. You know, he's more he just gets the job done. When you want the taste of coke, but you don't want the calories, they're all the sugar. That's Diet Kirk Cousins. Ryan Tannehill, who's been very up and down this year. When he has time to throw and they're able to build out of the run, you know, play action, he's good. Yeah, never gonna be great. When he doesn't have time to throw, he's a nightmare. It's a disaster so far.
Speaker 5: Like that Browns game.
Speaker 6: I actually when I rewatched, I was like, I don't put much of this on Tannehill. I actually think he played like okay in that game. He was a bit of a disaster week one, but he's been strong since. And I have a soft spot in my heart because QB in Decks started it was my first year at the NFL.
Speaker 5: I was still living in New York.
Speaker 6: Qban Decks started as a project to watch the great quarterback class of twenty twelve. Coaches film every week and rank them and just go through their games every week. So it was RG three, it was Luck, it was Russ who's still on this list. It was Tannehill, it was Brandon Whedon and then Nick Fole snuck in there with a couple starts in the mix too, and Tannehill. I really love him because I think he's really developed so much as a quarterback. Back then he was just sort of a guy who threw the ball straight in, a big, strong athlete and a barely played the position. And now here we are, how many seasons later, fourteen to twelve seasons later, and he's still kicking on this list. Russ is still kicking the columns, still kicking in much different form with a much bigger, stronger writer behind the helm is doing.
Speaker 5: Great job, good job shooking.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, I appreciate you. That was real nice.
Speaker 3: Any other thoughts, gentlemen, Well, I think.
Speaker 7: Part of this exercise, because you're just people are just gonna look at the list that's it. They get all upset, they run around their farmstead or wherever they live. But like the actual it's thirty two like boiled down thick graphs on each player that come from a lot of film study. It take a lot of work goes behind it. You got to prove your point like you just did on Burrow, but you got to add a little spice to the writing. We got to know who Nick Shook is versus the last writer or the writer previous, or who cover comes next? And Shook I've read, I've read each one of these and I just want to say the writing and your like whimsical nature with some of the entries is part of the delight. So don't just look at the list, read the whole thing.
Speaker 3: Good reader, Well.
Speaker 4: Sad, that's a good sales pitch. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Well, so got it. He's just a kid from Akron. Don't change your Twitter photo.
Speaker 6: I mean, but at some point it's false advertising. You don't want to be one of those guys that's you know, got the like five year old picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but look at look at his buy and look at anybody on the on the left sleeve.
Speaker 2: So he's interviewing who's the player he's interviewing there, it's Larryjobi okay Ogum Joey three teams ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Larry, you're interviewing a guy named Larry.
Speaker 2: And look on the left arm, the way the sleeve hugs the buy in the try. Now, do we want to if we want to get some people off your back, do you want to photoshop the browns helmet off, off the off the breastplate there. Sure you can do that, but I would not get away from the photo because it really checks a lot of boxes.
Speaker 3: Otherwise, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: I have a backpack that I got from the Browns when I still work for the team, and I've thought about sewing an NFL patch over it on multiple occasions.
Speaker 3: For this very reason, Shook never changed.
Speaker 2: Thank you for this, and we really did want to highlight the brain work you're doing and and the NFL QB indexicus who doesn't love chopping up the quarterbacks? And uh check out Shook on on Twitter at the Nick Shook. Uh hell check out his Twitch handle the Knick Shook.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and nim.
Speaker 6: Check him out in a big spot. While we're in London bringing that Sunday Night weeks six Recap Home with Patrick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm glad that we can add more work to your plate. It sounds like you're not doing enough fixed, So good job.
Speaker 4: Thank you for giving me a platform to defend myself before they come out. It's the game day graphic. By the way, the NFL Game be account say, that's the one. That's the I'm still getting notifications on.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 2: And last but not least, check out Nick Shook every Sunday night on the Flagship podcast, where he does a great job helping us out with the game coverage.
Speaker 3: See you later, but all right, guys, see you all right, there goes Nick Shook again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, NFL dot com slash qb index read it every week and that is a bonus app of around the NFL, no cost.
Speaker 6: And a nice little part of ATN history here atn when it was a blog for a news thing, and we used to have a lot of QBNX arguments right here on this podcast.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a dynasty and it's in Shook's hands until next time.
Speaker 3: Hey, a call