Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 2: Breakfast Club morning.
Speaker 3: Everybody is d j en Vy Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the buildings, indeed, the brother Kirk. Frankly, welcome brother, welcome.
Speaker 1: Back, Good morning. King.
Speaker 4: Now, woll I'm not taller than you.
Speaker 1: That's impossible.
Speaker 2: That's that's everybody is.
Speaker 1: Don't never happen.
Speaker 5: God, God does some amazing things in life, works for miracles, but that ain't never happened.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about I'm talking about them, talking about the charity.
Speaker 2: He's so sensitive.
Speaker 4: But you know the moment, No, no, no, no, no, here the same height.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a damn lie.
Speaker 1: That's not true either.
Speaker 2: On brother, come on now, tower No, you're not towering.
Speaker 3: No, you're not towering. Lam Charlam got you by like an inch. Charlam agnt got you by inch like towers.
Speaker 4: Contest with anyone?
Speaker 1: How you feeling, my brother, man?
Speaker 4: A lot of feelings, yes, a lot of feelings. And you know, I thank y'all for letting me come. I mean, this is my first week of having conversations you know, about all of this, and so, you know, just trying to learn how to be able to articulate it in ways that I've never had to have this level of communication about. You know, I'm very open and transparent guy, you know, but some of this recent stuff has kind of, you know, hit me for a little because it's so fresh, it's so new. It's only like, you know, twelve weeks old. So I'm trying to learn how to do it in this way. So yeah, but I'm willing to try for.
Speaker 2: People that don't know. He's documentary father, the time that you met your father for the first time in fifty three years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, and just the nuances of it, the fact that I hated a man for fifty three years that I thought was my father and he died knowing that I hated him.
Speaker 1: That was powerful. In the Doctor you said you went to go me peace with him.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was wondering, like, how did you feel knowing you made peace with a person that you know, you really you really had no problem problem with having a problem.
Speaker 4: With Well, I still would have had the brokenness centate because he wasn't in my life and I hated him because he wasn't in my life and showed up when my career started to take off and that broke me, you know, being adopted and not having a mother and father in my life, but still knowing well, I met him when I was six, saw him again when I was thirteen, and then he started showing up when my career took off. And so for somebody that already had a lot of trauma being adopted and having a lot of abandonment, his shoes and acceptance is shoes, you know, it it it It was a very painful process to live that way, knowing that you wouldn't wanted, and just all the mistakes that a young black man can make, not having the type of mentorship because I didn't have uncles that stepped in. I didn't have those type of things. And even in the church, you know, the church majority, it's always made up of women, you know, unfortunately, and so you try to navigate and you make a lot of mistakes, and then religion and dogma can also become a little duplicitous and can make the journey even more problematic. Is because you're living in fear, you know, but because a lot of times in religion is God's going to get you, and God's going to get you, and God's going to get you more than this. God loves you. And even one of my mentors, now that a molder told me about twenty years ago, it's hard to know God's love as a father when you've never had one.
Speaker 1: Namn O fire right, Oh hell yeah?
Speaker 2: What made you want to meet him?
Speaker 4: This guy? Well, you know just how it happened. You know, I was in the military's I wasn't even looking for him.
Speaker 2: They said, this guy. Is that how you refer to him as this guy?
Speaker 4: Well? You know, and I know that language is necessary, right, and it's very important, and language speaks really the the the tennis of the heart, right. But you know, for me, this this this term father is something that I'm still just grapping with. And it's not his fault. I mean, he's he's been a man who's lived his life. He's a sixty nine year old man that has lived his life not thinking about that he has a son there was ten minutes away from him, his entire life ten minutes away. And so right now I call him mister Ricks. I call him mister Rick right now as I'm trying to navigate because you know, he has a daughter, and you know, and she's an incredible young lady. She's trying to navigate because she's been the apple of his eye all of her life. And U you know, you know, and it's like all of a sudden, now they've got me, and and and he's been very loving but very welcoming. And but at the same time, my biological mother, who I haven't ever really had, I had a strong relationship with, it's still denying that he's my father after two DNA tests.
Speaker 5: Why is that? I mean, I don't understand that. In the documentary, like the DNA test was ninety nine point nine nine nine positive. That was I'm not gonna lie you. You're a funny person. You don't be meaning to be funny. They when they gave you to w was like nint nine percent.
Speaker 4: Of what Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. It's because I haven't been in that position before in my life.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: It's like I don't get a lot of calls that I got kids by different people, so you know, so I don't know, yeah, and and and then you know, you have a lot of anxiety because you don't really understand.
Speaker 2: But uh uh, why won't she accept it?
Speaker 4: I don't know. And I would have loved for her to give me that but it's obvious that she can't, and so I have the responsibility of still honoring black women and talking and in a way that still gives a light that I never want to uh attack her publicly. And I don't know her as my mother, you know, the woman that adopted me was the woman that I knew as my mother. I would see my biological mother maybe once or twice a year in my life, which makes even the trauma even more painful, because in marginalized communities, when it comes to legal adoption, sometimes they don't always work the same. A lot of times, people outside of our race and Hue, they are adopted in systems where they don't really know their biological parents, and so they may know that they were given up, but at least they find people that want them and love them, so at least it's a wound that heals. But when you have people that come in and out of your life every now and then, and sometimes and our communities, you know, you can be related to somebody that lives right down the street and you don't even know it. And I think that that's what has made the story even a little bit more painful and even more broadest that the amount of people that have come out that look like us, that have this story, and that in itself is daunted to know that the Black American experience has caused this. This this this a fractured understanding of what family is because we were so displaced and separated and so many nuances to why we don't.
Speaker 1: Know who we are?
Speaker 3: Now, let me ask you. You did say that, Uh, what's the name, mister Rich? I don't want to call it mister Rick. So you said, mister Rick has a daughter and.
Speaker 1: That's the apple of his eye.
Speaker 2: How did that make you feel?
Speaker 3: When you look at mister Rick and you see how much he loves his daughter and raised his door and put the time and energy into his daughter, And then you might look and reflect back on yourself and say, damn, why wasn't I the same way? Why wasn't I the apple of his eye? Why wasn't I his son? And why wasn't I Like why did did you ever look at that and get a little jealous and make you feel away? And how did you overcome that?
Speaker 4: Because I've never been the apple of anyone's eye. It was just my normal. I've never been an apple of anyone, even the woman that adopted me because of her.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Is one thing that I do share with my brother Charlemagne is that I am a huge advocate of therapy and counseling. I've been a counseling since i was eighteen years old. I even the therapist I have right now, I'm his longest I'm his longest patient that he's ever seen, you know. And we kind of make jokes about it because he says that every new experience in my life, it triggers a new trauma. And so I believe in Jesus, I believe in prayer, and I believe in therapy, and so I've needed all of that just to try to get by. So him her being the apple of his eye didn't affect men anyway, because that's all I've ever known, not being that. So that's my normal. That's been my normal.
Speaker 5: You said something the doctor hit me so hard, man. You said, you don't even know who you truly are. I'm paraphrase, and you don't even know who you truly are because you only know the broken version of yourself.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir God, yes.
Speaker 4: Sir, And and you know and and and I don't want to, you know, even post myself as as as a victim. I really tried to want to maneuver and And what was very interesting because I was working on this album, and this album was just going to be an album. I was working on Bros. And and for the first time I had a little budget where I could hire a videographer. This is my guy out here to you to your right and left and Chris, and Chris was just with me, just capturing the process of working on my album. And in the middle of this album, one a young lady that sings with me. At her father's church, there was a funeral. And at that funeral, it was a funeral for a woman that is my biological aunt. I didn't go because I knew my mother would be there. I and see my mother in over twenty three years, because there was something that she did to me and my biological well and my half sister that I thought was very painful. My half sister just got out of prison and nobody was at a helper but me. I was thirty one years old, thirty two years old, and I'd have, you know, the knowledge to know i'd handle somebody getting out of prison and what to do because she still was dealing with drugs and different things, and so something painful happened over twenty three years ago that made me go, I'm not going to deal with you again. And so I didn't go to the funeral. But at the funeral there was a man there. There was friends of the family of the church that the funeral was. Head name was Rick. He saw Debora at the funeral and said, oh, I didn't know that Deborah and this young lady that past were related. I used to mess around with Deborah and that was the beginning. And so my man was with me. I'm in a studio working on music, and so I was able to hide behind the camera if they If that makes any sense, the camera gave me courage. When mister Rick heard the rumors, it gave me the courage to after I got the test results, to go see him, go see her, go see other people, so I wouldn't have to do it by myself.
Speaker 5: I wonder, is, Kirk Franklin, is there is there a version in your mind and yourself that you can see that's whole and healed because you say what your you know, your therapist said to you, how every new trauma.
Speaker 4: Every every every new experience.
Speaker 5: Experience calls this trauma, and it feels like that even now, like you know, you know who your biological father is.
Speaker 1: But does that make you feel more whole or does it make you just feel even more broken?
Speaker 4: Beautiful question, beautiful question. And it's funny because when you hear this new you know, you know, and you guys know how it is. Man, you know it because you've written books, you've you youth, you are creative, You are creative. You know how art imitates life. And so when you're in the middle of hell, in the middle of something, it's gonna come out and whatever it is that you're you know, you know you're writing or you're doing music. And so even even in the new record that comes out Friday, Man, it's just I am trying to figure that out. I'm trying to figure it out lyrically. Is because I find myself, I almost find myself afraid of knowing what even well looks like. Is because brokenness becomes almost like a blanket, and that's warped. That's not healthy. And so that's why I know I've got to continue to keep doing the work. It is because I know that it affects everything and everybody around me. You know, it affects your understanding of love, and so your wife feels it, your children feel it. You know, all the people aren't feeling it. And at the same time, Bros, you see how God uses it in this mysterious way. Because there are so many broken people, you're able to communicate to them from a space that you can say to them, me too. And I think that sometimes even in the kind of music that I do, it can make you feel like, Okay, well, Goswin's gonna be so happy and so up in. It's like, you know, it ain't really speaking to my you know, ish right. And but the music that I've been able to do because I heal as I reveal, I really try to communicate my my fragility in the music so that people can be able to see, Okay, he don't have it all together because I don't. And there's a lot about life, a lot about God, a lot about struggles that I don't understand, and I'm still trying to figure it out, and so I'm trying to do my best to to just walk it out.
Speaker 1: And aren't you just trauma bonding what you're listening is, then.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's a strong question. That's a very strong question. I pray that I give them balance, as I pray that in the lyrical content, in the music, that as I go through the journey, even like someone I can imagine me, you know, imagine me loving what I see. And then at the end of the so even though I talk about the beginning of that, I talk about how it's gone, you know, so, and I think that that's important. I think that David the Psalm is David right, you know. And I'm quite sure that you've read, you know, the Psalms before, you know. It sounds a little about polar right, you know what I'm saying. You know, one day he's afraid and questioning, one day he's down, and one day he's rejoicing. And I think that that duality is necessary. It's because the complexity of life requires an honest approach of how rain and sunshine they coexist in our journey.
Speaker 3: But I think it also allows people to know that they're not alone with their journey.
Speaker 4: That That's what I've always tried to do, you know. But what Charlemage just said is something that I definitely want to ponder on this book. I think it's such a strong statement. And I think that it's very important that as you try to give medicine and try to wrap it in candy, that you are at least trying to give the solution. And so I appreciate you saying that to me so that I can, you know, fight still try to be accountable because I'm still learning.
Speaker 1: I think that's the biggest thing. Like you know, we're all just still learning, right like you.
Speaker 5: We're not experts. We're just sharing our experiences. Yeah, And I think that's what you're doing. You're just sharing your experience. One thing I love in the doctor, man, I love I love seeing folks doing inner child work. And that's what you're doing. You're doing your in a child work. You're trying to hear your in a child. How important is that to you?
Speaker 1: Man? I got to keep it together, bro, good brother, we have man people.
Speaker 4: Together once again. It's my first week you know doing it. Yeah, you know, it's amazing because I haven't been around my mother in decades and the fact that she won't give me what I'm asking slight. Just let me know that you didn't know, and you even say you don't know, but to be so adamant about he isn't your father. It's because her not giving me that takes away my ability to be able to even try to embrace it, because she still has power over the little boy, right, And I hadn't seen her in decades, Like in that amazing and that amazing that you can see the cause of the beginning of your reckless life and hadn't seen them in almost three decades, and they still have power over the soul of the little baby.
Speaker 3: You know, first of all, I could never imagine myself in that predicament or position. But I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes. Right, And here's a lady that you call your biological mom, and you haven't seen her in three decades.
Speaker 4: Well, twenty three years, twenty three.
Speaker 3: Years, almost three decades, twenty three years. And I guess the question I would want to know is why, right? And the reason I say why is in this situation, it's like, you know, you have kids, I have kids, and it's like I think I would feel like, damn, you don't want me. And even even even though that you know I was adopted, and it's like you would feel like, well, I'm successful now, I'm Kirk Franklin, and you still don't want nothing to do with me, You still don't want to be to make up for lost time and to try that that that never affected you.
Speaker 2: Because it's just how I feel. I'm about to start crying because I feel them. Because I feel them.
Speaker 4: You are a few amazed. Well, first of all, thank you for the comedy break, and I thank you for the comedy.
Speaker 2: Break because I feel because I'm about to start tearing because.
Speaker 1: I feel away you are.
Speaker 4: And I love how y'all got that brotherhood fired like that, you know, and it's funny because don't like them, But even that is beautiful to me because I was raised with none of that, you know, you know, being raised by yourself. That's traumatic. I was the kid, I'm embarrassed and said, but I was a kid on the Leicester school. I would cry because I was going back to a house with an older lady who it was. It was just empty and I didn't want to leave these kids because I had no family to go home.
Speaker 5: Oh man, see before see this is why therapy and stuff is so important. Because before the conversation started, before you even turn on the mics, you were telling to keep having kids because you don't want to have an empty nests and you were like, an empty nexs is a motherfucker.
Speaker 1: You didn't curse, but you might have.
Speaker 5: Curse, not this time, not this time, but you said, and so now that that's the same thing, right.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah yeah yeah, yeah yeah yeah. And so you fill your life with noise, fill your life with noise, and so uh and then when you talk about what I'm Kirk Franklin, now you still don't want me. I'm gonna tell you whatever. That Kirk Franklin thing is a lot of times makes it worse. It's because success can be traumatizing. And I learned that in therapy. It's because now you've got to deal with how do I maneuver? How do I like? I was so traumatized by success is that when the first album goes platinum, you think a million people like you, and then if the next album goes gold, your work behind things that half of me and people don't like you no more. And so I'm honest enough to say it, I'm crushing. I'm not the only one that goes through that. And so when you don't, when those beginning stages of life, when you don't have people to inform you of who you are. It says the trajectory of how you process everything in life. Everything in life has through that same filter. I want to be liked, I want to be accepted. Am I okay? Am I good enough? And you can be fifty three years old still asking how'd I do?
Speaker 1: How'd I do?
Speaker 4: How'd I do? I'm doing interviews all week and you know, and I'll still pull the publicist to the side. Okay, how was that? Was that good?
Speaker 1: You know? Was that? You know?
Speaker 4: And and it's it's because you just still trying to figure out and so all of this just opens up the new wounds. And so that's why I needed this album. I needed this music. I needed to Man. Can you imagine if all this was going on and I was just at the crib having none to do, Bro, I needed to be working on music. Does that makes sense? Bro? I couldn't be still. I had to be doing something because I was going to go crazy.
Speaker 5: But isn't that a response to traumatal staying busy? They always say, staying busy is a trauma response?
Speaker 1: Can be?
Speaker 4: It can be, And I don't know if all of it is terrible? Is because there are other results that you could take. They could even be more detrimental, you know, drugs, drinkings. You know. I think that the most important thing that I do want anyone listening to understand is because again, it's not just Kirk's story. This is a lot of people's story, and a lot of people live in these spaces, which which is mind blowing. All of the responses I've gotten from this is that I just want people to know that you can't wait to get fixed before you get up and win. So what you got to do is you gotta win.
Speaker 1: Wounded?
Speaker 2: Did this help your relationship?
Speaker 1: Kids? Are you gotta win? Wounded? You gotta all of us? Right, You gotta win.
Speaker 4: You can't wait for them sorry, you can't wait till the person wants to fix it. You can't wait for the apology. And what they did was wrong. What God allows at times feels so wrong. But we got to be able to trust his heart when we don't understand his hand. And so you gotta win. I need you with my camera, queens and kings, no matter what has been brought in your life by the winds and ways of life. I need for you to get up. I need for you to limp across the finish line, limp, limp, bleeding, cuss and crying, but I need for you to win wounded.
Speaker 3: Now has that strengthen a relationship with your kids? Has it changed anything with your kids here?
Speaker 4: You know, it's been very interesting man, because you know, my kids have loved me through all of my deficiencies.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: My youngest, who is brilliant, he's he's he's he's a thinker. And he said to me that, he said that this has given him another level of grace for me, he said, because you have done the best you knew how to do. He said, Man, you you, he said, he said, because I don't know not having a life without yo. He says, so man, you know, and again I don't want him to say his daddy as a victim. You know, but the kindness that they've shown me has really been humbling, you know, the patience, because can you imagine being married to this? You know, you know somebody that does fully understand what love is. I've always because once again, just because you're introduced to love don't mean you're not to receive it, you know, if it hasn't been engrafted in you. And so my family They've been very kind because I know that I've been a lot.
Speaker 1: And did that the end of the doc, right.
Speaker 4: My firstborn, my first I was just talking about my youngest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you well, when you let mister Rick know the father, why was that important to do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: First of all, it was a great opportunity to have a reconnection with him. I thought that it would be a a a a moment of healing that could open up an opportunity for us to heal ah. And so I was very grateful that, uh, that it was something that he was was was was moved by and and and and and and to have this reconnection point with him.
Speaker 5: He had a visceral reaction though, just like mister Rick had a visceral reaction, like immediately like tears.
Speaker 4: My son is a beautiful soul man. He that's my first born. That's my first born. It's my first namesake. And and you know, I you know, carry On has been the homie since you said, I mean since he was six he had the passport, you know, I mean, I mean my son and my kids that traveled the world with me, and and and to be able to see him again and to hold him close to me, and to just touch his face like I hadn't been that close to him in over a decade. And and and to just to just embrace him, you know, man, because I've missed my son. I've missed my son. And I love my son because my son grew me up. You know, the church killed me when I got a kid pregnant back and when when when I got my pregnant back in eighty eight, in the eighties, and I was a church musician. Man, the ridicule, but that was my home, that was that was the homie.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: I took him to all the choir rehearsals and you know what I'm saying when I was working on music, and you know, and so to be able to hold my first born again and to embrace him, it was a very loving moment for me.
Speaker 1: How important is it to here I apologize, oh.
Speaker 4: Oh oh man, because I would love to hear now, you know. And so to be able to hear that, it's very healing. I would believe it is because it would heal me, you know. And so I it was very important that he heard that from me. It was very important for him to be able to know, man, I'm sorry, I'm sorry for stuff I mayn't even know. I'm sorry, but I just need you to know it. I need you to be able to hear I'm sorry because I know the healing that exists in those words, and I just wanted him to know, for the for the for the things I knew, for the things I didn't know, for the things I'm trying to figure out, for the things, for whatever, for whatever. You need to put this in the bucket that starts you on your journey and another black man, I need for you to hear your daddy say I'm sorry, and you can apply wherever you need it. I don't care. I don't care. This ain't about winning. All I want to win is you. All I want to win is you.
Speaker 5: It was another part of the doc Man where you you couldn't call your your aunt aunt. You called her by her first name, and she wouldn't reply to you until you said aunt.
Speaker 1: Why was that so hard call her aunt?
Speaker 4: Well? These are people that I would that I wasn't that I wasn't raised around my entire life. You know, I didn't have that family dynamic, so I don't have the habit of calling people uncle and uh, you know that's not that that that that was not part of my construct and so it's not natural for me to do it. So it's I didn't make any offense. It's just these are not people that have been in my ecosystem, my entire life. And so that's why, you know, and and and and I want to make it inextricably clear that I'm not here to bash my mother. I'm not here to bash my un because he's are black woman. And it is very important for me to make sure that I still, as a black man, carry the role of covering the the the the the most powerful, the most precious treasure that we have to this earth, and that's the black woman. So I'm not here to do that, and I refuse to do it.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, I think it's the only right that we get into the single.
Speaker 1: Off I got one.
Speaker 5: I got one final question. What's that very important? Being that you've gone through all of this, when are you gonna Letplies get his DNA?
Speaker 2: Shut up? Man, Let's get into it.
Speaker 4: You know that that is the real reason why I'm here. You know, where's my camera?
Speaker 1: This one right there.
Speaker 4: Applies. I love you, come home.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness, Let's get into a single off the album. The album Father's Day is out this week.
Speaker 2: What you want to play? These guys are crazy?
Speaker 3: Just have a nice sentimental interview and you gotta end with this.
Speaker 1: This guy's crazy, he's so dumb.
Speaker 2: I rocked with the sentimental interview.
Speaker 3: We're all about to tear and he ends with that, what do you want to can we get the.
Speaker 4: New album comes out?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: I'm so excited excited about the new tour. I'm on tour right now. Man, I'm on touring now with Ty Tribban, the Clark Sisters, King and.
Speaker 1: They're killing it.
Speaker 4: They killing it every night, bro, The Clark Sisters, Tammela Man, take me to the King, David Man singers, the whole band. I mean, you know we we're at the Prudential Center on coming up in a couple of weeks and the new album called Father's Day. Uh, it comes out this Friday. And I needed this album and I hope that it can help heal people like it helped heal me, or that it's trying to heal me. I'm still not there, but I'm excited. What do you want heal them? You know what, let's do needs.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you for joining us. We love you, we are grateful, grateful, and ladies and gentlemen, it's Kirk Franklin. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Breakfast Club.