Speaker 1: Lute force. If it doesn't work, you're just not using enough. You're listening to soft Web Radio Special Operations, Military Nails and straight talk with the guys in the community.
Speaker 2: Hey, what's up everybody. Welcome back to soft rep Radio. On this episode, I have James Hassen, former Army, former Bronze Star recipient. He wrote a book and this book is a little bit of a title that I want to I just have to read it, okay, and correct me if I'm wrong, James, and then I'll get you. I'll get you to Welcome on the show. It's called Kaboul, The Untold Story of Biden's Fiasco and the American warriors who fought to die to the end. Is that correct or fought to the end? Fought to the end? Yes, that's yeah. Well, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks, Mat, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Man. Yeah, So you've been making the circuit. You've been getting around talking about your book coming up. Is that what's happening? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we released on the on the fifteenth, so people can find Kabble you know, Amazon or anywhere else. But you know, we've been trying just our best to get the word out because one of the reasons that we wrote Cobble, my co author Jerry Dunleavy, and I was that with twenty years of war, twenty years of experiences, twenty years of loss and for things to and the way they did, and then with you know, this explanation from the administration that this was somehow a quote success, that this was inevitable, that.
Speaker 2: You know, well, which part was a success, like just the overall Coble evacuation was success because they feel that the lives lost work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not more than just said the other day. And that's also what you know, the messaging from from the White House has been. But that you know that that didn't well because I, you know, I knew people who were in Cubble when that was happening, and yeah, I did it, like my tiny little part to try and get the interpreters I knew out and thank god they are. But it realized that there was there's a whole lot that that hadn't been told. And candidly, you know, when we started, I thought that I had a decent idea it was what everything you know was like or what happened at least, And while writing the book, we realized we didn't even know the third of it. So that's really you know, there has to be some accountability, and more more importantly, the guys in the ground and the families of the thirteen deserve to.
Speaker 2: Have, you know, the stories told, So more accountability than just going to the VA saying that your injuries that you sustained overseas deployed were attributed to that situation. More than that kind of accountability to you know, you want the Biden administration to, like what it's a great question, what's the accountability you know for the situation that was.
Speaker 3: Honestly, if you were to ask me, I think Secretary of Austin, Secretary of Blincoln should have resigned, the President should have asked for their resignations. And I can go, you know, into as granular detail as you want about what those failings were. But at the end of the day, I think also like accountability, you know, starts starts with the commander in chief, and that's that's a totally political matter.
Speaker 2: Let me say something real quick about that. Wouldn't that be going back to the commander in chief before him, who signed the papers in December saying to evacuate all US forces and to put that on Biden's play President Biden, the former Trump president, wouldn't that be his? And then want to go back to Reagan who actually wanted to go back to nineteen seventy nine, to the Soviets who invaded Afghanistan. The people, the beautiful people of Afghanistan, because we go back and look at Rambo three, the movie when he filmed Sylvester Stallone filmed that in Afghanistan, and in the credits and oh yeah, yeah, yeah, and the whole game that he's playing with the horses where they're tossing the goat into the goal, that's with the Afghani people, like the Northern Alliance, like the Mujahadeen. So when he's over there doing a movie in the eighties, and you know, Americans were able to go over there, have a whole film production brought over there. At the very end of the credits, it says thank you to the like wonderful beautiful people of Afghanistan at the very end, because they are a wonderful beautiful people.
Speaker 3: Would you agree, Honestly, it's one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. And there are plenty of people that are not hospitable to US at all. But there are plenty of very very decent people.
Speaker 2: Even here in America.
Speaker 3: People are people. They're trying to I.
Speaker 2: Said, even in America, our own Americans aren't kind to one another, let alone in Afghanistan.
Speaker 3: Right, well, yeah, I mean that, you know, people are people.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: You're gonna you're gonna you're gonna find ship heads everywhere. There were, that's right, you know, And we talked about a lot of them in Kabul. There were a lot of Afghans who served alongside the US at great risk and a great sacrifice, and we made this promise to them that if they did that, they would have a life here.
Speaker 2: With us in America.
Speaker 3: And not uh, you know, not fulfilling that promise, I think was you know, it's a stain on the nation. But to get back to your other point about you know, they're all of the failures that kind of led up to this, right, right, which is it's a very very valid point because if you want to tell the full story of everything that happened in Afghanistan, then yeah, you got to. You got to at the very least you have to start, you know, begetting two thousand and one, You have to you have to talk about the fact that, you know, we we deprioritized Afghanistan when when the Iraq War started, you have talked, you know, talk about the you know, kind of this whole nation building idea where we stopped focusing on, you know, doing what military does best, which is defeating our enemies in the field battle. And you have to you know, you and and more specifically, you know, when you kind of get to the latter stages, you absolutely have to talk about the dohagre which allowed, you know, which was kind of this conditional agreement for US forces to withdraw and to be frank, we have a whole chapter in the book about the Doha Agreement.
Speaker 2: Isn't that where the Taliban came to the White House with Trump?
Speaker 3: So I think, yeah, I think Trump had not liked it never actually happened.
Speaker 2: He didn't have them on the meeting with the Taliban.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so he had a I think he he floated the idea of bringing them to Camp David, and for obvious reasons, everyone said that's an absolutely terrible and it never happened. But yeah, just but again, the Doha Agreement was an absolutely flawed agreement. And I want to be. I want to be very clear, I don't care which administration and which political party was in power. We would have told the exact same story the exact same way, because those are the facts, and the facts speak for themselves. But but specifically to the Doha agreement, the agreement negotiated by al khali Zad, who is the Trump appointed you know, special envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan, was a very very flawed agreement, but it was a conditional agreement, and the conditions we said, will get out and again this is it. It is flawed, but we said we'll get out if you stop harboring al Qaida number one, if you stop attacking American troops number two, and if you agree to you know, engage in and of peace Bross diplomacy. And they never fulfilled any of those obligations. We were killing al Qaida in Afghanistan right before the agreement, right after the agreement, and they are you know, card caring members of al Kaieda who are in the Talabank government today and they continue to attack American forces. So this idea, we we focused on the withdrawal period itself because well, frankly, if you're going to right, twenty years of history in Afghanistan. You're gonna need about ten thousand pages. But also because no matter what you think about the previous mistakes or whether we should have gotten out or not, things didn't have to end the way that they did. And we make a I think a very very convincing case, backed up by evidence and first hand testimony that the way things ended was one hundred percent due to the decisions and the complete lack of planning from the current administration.
Speaker 2: Now the lack of planning from the other administration. Let me let me be devil's advocate here, right, what do you think I'm gonna ask you? You're smart?
Speaker 3: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: But are you an attorney too? Now? You go right to school? Aren't you an attorney? Also? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, you're smart. You're a juris doctorate. That means, you know, doctorate of los see my listener out there. If you didn't realize, is that a lawyer goes to school for at least six years. A doctor typically goes to school for about six years. They get a doctorate, and they call doctor Bob at the hospital.
Speaker 3: If you call me doctor, I'll hang up right now.
Speaker 2: Exactly exactly. But a lawyer is a juris doctorate correct, Yeah, technically yeah, so would that be like a doctor of law.
Speaker 3: That's technically what it means.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not calling it that.
Speaker 3: I'm in the world if you have an attorney that's going to call you doctor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, no no. I just want to explain that you know, as much as somebody can know about the spleen and the liver and the heart and all those valves, you are skilled in knowing what the comma means in like a sentence.
Speaker 3: You your trolling me here, But yeah, I mean I guess, but more and more, yeah, more to the point.
Speaker 2: Just so, so my question is when planning right, because we know we know what planning means. It's like, you know, when Afghanistan, when did you get when did we When did the fall of KBL happen? What was that date of twenty twenty one? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, August fifteen one was when the Taliban.
Speaker 2: Fully on to go base their there. We all saw the aircraft taking off and people trying to hold on to the SEAFI or the c you know C forty seven, uh Sea forty seven aircraft. You know a lot of that was put out there all the time too, right, A lot of that was shown like to show us consistently over and over again, like look what happened. And then there was the worst of the worst because everybody was crowding into the airport, so somebody took advantage of a situation to create more catastrophe and panic. Right now, I wasn't there. I have talked to many, many people who have been there and were even captured by the Taliban after they had already evacked out four hundred different people, and they were sas, right, special Air Service guys, and they were beat on their feet for like five weeks, captured, never finding out that they were sas, never finding out that they had moved four hundred people out because of what we're talking about, translators, families, people who helped you know that are just gonna be killed. Which over there, they have this very barb archaic you know, law of the land. Okay, they still are right now. I think Software just wrote an article recently talking about how the Taliban are just pissing Afghanistan away right now, like they're just putting it into you know, they have the option right now to come out and do something with it, show the world that they could be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a stone Age ideology and and you know, you get a stone Age society if that tho's the people who are.
Speaker 2: Running it, yeah, really quickly, you know.
Speaker 3: So I think the car like the original sin of this whole thing was given up Bogram and abandoning Bogram. And what I mean by that is, well, first of all, it's important to note that every single military general, every every military advisor who spoke with the White House just pleaded with them not to give up Bogram, and it you know, it's it's obvious why for a strategic reason, right, there's a lot of standoff this in it's very defensible. It was actually built by the Soviets. It also has a whole lot of runways, and so it's most in proximity to Kabble, which you know, if we kept kind of those assets available, it would have been we at least would have had somewhat of a protective radius around Kabble and then Bogram from which we could do an evacuation. But there's also another another point to giving up Bogram, and that is that the suicide bomber himself, who murdered thirteen Americans, that's correct, wounded forty five more, and killed two hundred Afghans. Was in prison at Parwan Prison adjacent to Bagram Mayfield or to Bogram, and he was released when the Taliban overran it on August fifteenth. He was captured in twenty seventeen by the CIA, and because he was trying to conduct a suicide bombing in India of all places, and it was a joint operation between Indian intelligence and the and CIA, CIA asked to have him in custody using inn Afghan We put him there and then we abandoned Bagram and he gets released by the Taliban and eleven days later he's standing outside of Abby Gate.
Speaker 2: And so that alone is good. Know that's wild man. You know know that you were in prison and you were staring at four walls or whatever your prison cell is, and all you want to do is get out to blow yourself up because you're so dedicated to your cause. Your whole time in the prison is like I must get out of here to just blow myself up.
Speaker 3: You know what do What's crazy is it's impossible to give you like a logical explanation for an illogical action. Yeah, but to your point. So we spoke with an American who was held hostage by the Taliban for sixty days and it is now free, thank god. But he was telling us about some of his time in captivity, and you know, he was talking to the Taliban guards, and of course anyone's been in Afghanistan. No, it was like the very first question that comes up and any of these conversations is like, do you have kids? You know, do you have sons specifically? And they you know, he asked that to the guard and the guard said, no, I'm not married, and then said I was in the lottery, but I never got picked. And the guy said the lottery, like, you know, what do you mean, thinking like some kind of you know, and he said, oh, to be a suicide bumber. And he did this this The Taliban guard felt almost disappointed that his name wasn't the one that got picked.
Speaker 2: Almost like a revelation from them, come and say it's your time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's again. It's impossible to it. It defies explanation.
Speaker 2: Well, I knew that in like I would use they would use individuals that had like Down syndrome, Yeah, and put.
Speaker 3: Them and they're they're I mean they you know.
Speaker 2: Truly, truly, truly just like you know, walking into this mark. And they just because they were cowards.
Speaker 3: Just because they're cowardly, and just because they're evil.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, evil, coward.
Speaker 3: And ready to describe it, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean, And I mean just to do that and just to cause that, you know, commotion. These people wanted to get out because you know, they wanted to leave the country. They thought they had to leave the country. They don't want to be there, they didn't want to They wanted to be able to go to school. The girls were smart, are smart still smart, should run the world, but here they are overpowered by these guys with aks and some of our blackhawks. Now interesting, Yeah, there.
Speaker 3: Were plenty of people that are outside the gates that had no connection to the US, but there were plenty and tens of thousands, and it's heartbreak and hear their stories who who could have gotten out and should have and didn't right and Americans and you know, well over one thousand Americans too, which is interesting because when you know. On August thirty, first Secretary Anthony B. Lincoln, Secretary of State, Lincoln said it's about close to one hundred people, one hundred Americans that are left behind, and that is patently false, and we lay out in Cobble exactly why that's false. And in fact, just the other day, Blinking ragged that we had evacuated nine hundred Americans since Cobble fell, and so so even by his own numbers, that.
Speaker 2: That disc is just a lie. Now for your book, you guys went and talked to folks who were like at the gate, right, almost like the Marines that were that They were mostly Marines, right, is that who? You guys?
Speaker 3: Cat Marines and a second airborne talked some some Air Force folks. You know a lot of a lot of those people are still serving. So we were very careful to try and make sure that we didn't, you know, put them in a really tough spot where all of a sudden, now you know, the brigade commanders calling down like, hey, why you guys like you know, talking to dudes write a book. But yeah, we talked to a lot, you know, more than count and what they did and what they dealt with, what they did was heroic. What they dealt with was horrific, and but they they literally it was it was the best of the American people kind of you know, on the individual level, and the American government at its worst.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow. So so let's just talk about a little bit. Let me go, let me just kind of rewind here from my listener. I just jumped right in with you. Usually I say go to my merch store and I say, you know, go check out our book club at software dot com. So I'm getting that in there. But you know, it's like you were in the army. All right, let's just kind of really speak on your background a little bit. You were airborne ranger, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I went, I went through to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you went into Afghanistan yourself. You've been there boots on the.
Speaker 3: Ground right the coast and Nangahar and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, and then what year was that?
Speaker 3: Do you think I was there twenty fourteen and twenty fifteen, twenty fourteen times, so it kind of as really the last you know, I think at twenty fifteen was when the the Pentagon said just it was kind of just right right before I left. It was when they said, okay, we're ending combat operation. Since then, now i'm you know, as you mentioned, I'm leading like a much more boring life as a lawyer, but but a lot of like you know, my my grandfather was a marine, and that's on my mom's side, and all of my mom's brothers, all three of them served.
Speaker 2: And then I have do you have lawyers? Do you have attorneys in your family? Also? Are you the first attorney?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, my my dad was.
Speaker 2: Also.
Speaker 3: It was funny because I was like, I was like, there's no way I'm gonna ever gonna be like a lawyer. That's right, that sounds stupid, you know, joining the army and uh you know I got out and I was like, okay, well it's combat arms. Like I'm not to break things, but I need like a skill set and uh yeah, right, go to go to law school. But yeah, yeah, like my I have two cousins right now who are in h arm special forces groups.
Speaker 2: And so there's that in your blood close.
Speaker 3: To like about ten across all four major brand well three really no, it's in the coastcar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You ever thought about re enlisting and going JAG now that you can be an officer with your attorney degree.
Speaker 3: My wife would kill me.
Speaker 2: You seem young, You seem like you're still young enough and I know the army's looking for a looking for that. It could be all you can be. Right now, I'm doing some free advertising right for them.
Speaker 3: They're definitely especially. I mean I remember being in law school and just being like, man, I miss you know, the purpose of the people and all that. But yeah, now now I'm happy. Yeah, I have a wife and a daughter and my You know, if I want to come home alive, I have to tell you, no, I've never thought about it.
Speaker 2: After this conversation. Yes, sir, Yes, ma'am. He loves you very much. He chooses your deployment. That's awesome. That's awesome. So what made you you just had to get this off here? You have to write this? Did you? Did you put your hands on the keyboard? Is this? Yeah? You wrote?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Jerry and I I wrote it together. His brother we've been friends, by the way, for almost a decade, and his brother did three deployments in Afghanistan is still still active duty, and so Afghanistan was something that we always talked about. Actually, his brother went through ranger school, I think just a few classes behind me, and but yeah, it was something we always talked about. And then when there was the Dough agreement, and then when President Biden gave his his speech on April April twenty twenty one saying that we're getting out. We both are longtime followers of the Long War Journal, which I'm sure you know plenty of some listeners might be as well. But you know, they were cataloging at just the granular level of all of the district's falling and the you know then that the provincial capital is falling, and we kind of looked at it and we said, oh my gosh, this is this could be a kind of disaster. And talking to folks that I knew who were who were there, you know, I knew that they saw the writing on the wall as well. And then really, you know, what it comes down to is that it didn't sit well with me at all that this is the way that ended, and and more specifically that there were a lot of mistakes that we detail in Kabble. One is you know, like I mentioned with Bogram, and we can get into some kind of during the evacuation itself that were really driven a lot by decisions made by leaders in d C and put that really put no meta women at incredible risk, and we abandoned the American citizens. It used to be that a blue passport, right, the blue American passport is the most valuable document in the world, because it meant if you're an American and you know, like Captain Phillips, right, and like that whole whole story. If if you know terrorists or pirates hijack you and have you floating on a boat, you know, off of Somalia, We're gonna come and we're gonna we're going to kill those people, and we're going to rescue you. And we actually we did that even you know, in late twenty twenty in Nigeria, when Americans were taken hostage by Islamic militant's affiliate with Bokohram and this was the first time in modern history that the American government knowingly abandoned not just American citizens, but thousands of American citizens. And one thing that we learned while writing Kabble was that on August twenty fourth, the military, we were Admiral vasile Is, the Navy Seal in particular, determined that it would be impossible to get every American out by August thirty first, and they communicated that to the White House. The White House knew, and yet the White House continued to say publicly. National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said, we're gonna, you know, we're going to get everybody out by the thirty first. The White House Press Secretary Jensaki actually lectured a journalist who said, well, what happens if we don't get people out? And she said, that's irresponsible. They're not stranded. But the White House knew at the time that that was not true, and so that that that just you know, it stuck in the crawl and we felt like somebody needed to tell the story, and we spent a year and a half doing it.
Speaker 2: So when you just said what you said, are you referring to Africa bocal karam a moment ago or are you referring to Doha kabble? When you said, Jensaki.
Speaker 3: The Attorney, I was speaking about Nigeria, and that just to say as examples of the you know how the US has always gone to rescue its citizens, and then in Afghanistan, we just ripped that precedent to shreds and we knew that we were abandoning citizens and that that's what I was saying with the Jensaki and Jake Sullivan, they knew what they were saying as.
Speaker 2: Falls I see, I see, now I don't. I don't know. I'm just going to let you say that and then someone can comment down below if they go find something else, whatever that case is. That's that's in the book. That's the comment section. I want to engage my listener. No, that's why I'm poking the bear here. Please, But yeah, I know it's it's great because I lived through all of this as well, you know, and I've and I can interpret what I've seen, and I think not being there is a huge thing that I can't talk to, you know, which I can only you know, talk from hearsay from those that have relayed information from themselves personally being there or like what you're saying, you have people who have heard those same things that have maybe sworn a testimony to you somehow, but they're not willing to give up that information because they're fearing reprisal or retribution in their ranks, because they're actively in the military mind.
Speaker 3: And some of them a lot of a lot of what we got were actually sworn statements submitted to the Pentagon that were published through Freedom of Information Act requests.
Speaker 2: So these would be like Pentagon papers that you guys went and got like THEO on and then put that to us.
Speaker 3: And there were all the interviews that the Pentagon abby Gate Report about everything that happened, kind of their like after action review contained all of the transcribed interviews with over one hundred service members. And then the second there was a second investigation into the drone strike in the ninth, the twenty ninth and Krabble that killed Afghan civilians. And there also there were a lot of you know, sworn statements submitted by individuals, and I'll add we're talking about individuals in the room. People were hot like one of them was the authorizing authority for fifty one different air strikes or unmanned you know, air strikes in Afghanistan from August eighth to August fifteenth. So you're talking about people who clearly are in the know, and we quote their words directly, and you know, some of their names were adacted. We were able to kind of figure out who some of them were. We have to actually get in contact with some of them. But you know, again, do.
Speaker 2: You think there was like behind the scenes stuff that you and I haven't heard about let's make up something. Let's be hype for hiper talking here real quick. Do you think that maybe we need the Taliban to fight the Chinese eventually? And so there has been some kind of chess move behind the world's back to actually give them all that equipment and let them have all of it. And they no, no, no, no no no, yeah, let's let's we will need them to defend against the Chinese. Let's again I said the Chinese, right, they border the China they bordered, yeah, right, and so they have all that stuff now to kind of you know, go to battle.
Speaker 3: What's interesting about it is actually China and Taliban have been co op ever since though we got out, and in fact, we spoke to the well now former I was.
Speaker 2: Trying to want to cooperate with them. They'd want their land, right, and so that's just another invader coming into Afghanistan, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they want the natural resources that are all on those mountains. They also Bogram is a very serviceable, large scale military airfield that is right in that region that allows them to just project all kinds of power. And you know, the Taliban hasn't given it to them yet, but it seems like, you know, China has some some designs on that. But but it's interesting you bring up China. They from the moment that this happened, they're propaganda mouthpieces, uh you, including their their their foreign minister labeled it the quote unquote cobble moment. That's that's how they described it. And they immediately started saying things like, hey, you know, Taiwan, if you stay with America, this is going to happen to you too, like don't you see and uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean China they call Taiwan. There's but Taiwan calls China there, so you know, it's West China to them, right, right or West Taiwan, right, they say east or East China.
Speaker 3: How do they call it what Taiwan says? But I know China thinks Taiwan belongs to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, yeah, China's wrong because they're democracy and they're Taiwan. They have their own their own people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they they but China used this as a propaganda tool. And you know, even just on the anniversary of the week and a half ago or two weeks ago now, on the fifteenth, you know, China again described it as the quote unquote Kable moment where they said, basically America's week and America won't stand up for its friends, and so they took it as kind of this this you know, they're emboldened. And to that matter, so was Russia. We may we have a whole chapter on that in Kable where if you look at the satellite photos, you look at the statements that that Russia was making, you look at even the ground troop movements they had. They started the military build up around Ukraine in September of twenty twenty one, right after that withdrawal, and we all know that they invaded, you know, in February twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: February twenty second. Yeah, that's like another nine to eleven for the world right there. There's been so many casualties and destructions in Ukraine. Yeah, I told my friend right now, we have to support that war over there. We have to support those people because are you ready for a hypersonic missile to blow up your smith's marketplace right now? That grocery store across the street. Are you ready to stand here while we're getting our oil change, Bobby, and you're ready to have that place blow up behind us? Are you ready? For your daughter to come screaming saying that her neighbor has been blown apart here in America? Or would you rather just keep the fight at bay, you know, and just put that, you know over there. That's that's that's the conversation that's going on in this neck of the woods of Utah. You know where I talk? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where in Utah?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: By the way?
Speaker 2: If Salt Lake City, Salic City, Park City, all the fanciest places, the ski resorts, they're all my house. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Utah, that's my house. Welcome yea, well you walk into.
Speaker 3: You got a nice fire back there.
Speaker 2: Man. I do, I do. Oh. I'm hardcore mountain guy. I'm up in the mountains. You know. We snowboard all day, you know, pretty much every day of the week. My wife and I, you know, we enjoy the snow so we don't have to complain about it. You know. It's like just embrace it and then yeah, because then you shred it and you're like, I just shredded this mountain.
Speaker 3: They say people are either like mountain people or beach people, and I'm definitely like more of a mountain Yeah. Like data week, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I like to say, is that as someone who's got mental health issues myself all right, that tries to stay alive every single day, is I just like to go outside and connect, whether I'm going and boxing at the gym and yeah, just working on my own self being or mental toughness. Yeah, dude, and just like snowboarding or surfing, go and play some badminton or pickleball or something. Go do something. Yeah, get out to pickleball. Yeah, you know it's true, right, stay healthy, you're a ranger.
Speaker 3: It's it's like, I think the more that everyone just sits behind their computer, which is funny because we're still about the computers right now, but true and kind of loses touch with that like the worst, uh the worst. It's for everyone's mental health, especially get on people dealt with a whole lot.
Speaker 2: See over my shoulder though, I keep my snowboard there to make sure that you know, on my wall my snow findings, yeah right there, just so you know. It's it's like, hi, I know it's still September, and yes, the fireplace is going it's about uh you know, eighty degrees maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I was gonna say, you know, that's not for warmth clearly, but I love it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, no, I do not need to. It's definitely for you. The fireplace is for you. I appreciate it, yes, and it's it's actual. And again, go to the merch store and buy stuff because every time you buy a branded softwarep shirt or coffee mug or pocket knife, the fireplace gets to stay lit, and so does mine.
Speaker 3: If you buy cobble by the way, I'm just gonna just gonna throw that out.
Speaker 2: I had bro we're gonna have a link in there, or we're gonna have it in the description for sure. And uh, you know it's probably on Amazon, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's Amazon and anywhere else you can find books.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if you go check your local Mom's publish or do you think this is do you uh? Do you think it's at the airport book lounge?
Speaker 3: Your lifts to God's Ears?
Speaker 2: Man? Hey, you know, well, next time you go through the airport and you want to have something to read, just go check and see if there's a book, or download it to your phone. Yeah, simple.
Speaker 3: As well.
Speaker 2: Oh did you do that or did you?
Speaker 3: Jerry the publisher chose somebody with a much sexier voice than mine to do it. But yeah, but no, but he does a great job, and it's he's.
Speaker 2: Like stuff on outside of our life. And then the six pack abs You're like, no, no, no, no, great voice, but no, oh that's great. So tell me a story about being a ranger. Can you tell me one thing that was super tough for you through going through RIP, which is ranger and doctor Nation or was that right? Rip? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Give me use if you're if you're going to go join the seventy fifth Regiment. So if you if you're an officer, you do Ranger school first to become ranger qualified, and then I do do your four years, then you can apply to go through RIP and become a platoon leader. I did not do that. I went through ranger school, graduated, I got out after Afghanistan. I had a lot of friends who applied and did get in. But I can tell you about yeah, range of school just in general.
Speaker 2: Man, Like, if somebody's looking to go right now, they're on the fence. Yeah, they're on the fence. They're like, hey, do I want to go in the army and become a ranger? You know, give them a piece of advice.
Speaker 3: I think what I would say is it is that was probably the most grueling subone months I've ever done. I lost thirty to forty pounds because you're you're sleeping a couple hours a day, You're you know, you're getting probably like one thousand and twelve hundred calories, and you're walking with like eighty pounds on your back the whole time, and you know, doing training and then doing you know, training mission where they evaluate you. I remember one time just walking on a trail and literally falling asleep and waking up. The trail turned. It was it was kind of a file formation, and the trail turned right, and I just they called droning. I just kept walking straight, just walked right right off the trailer in the woods. And I remember just waking up this all right, just like slapping me on the helmet, just like, what the hell are you doing?
Speaker 2: But you're trying to get some sleep.
Speaker 3: Man, I just I don't know, I don't know what I'm doing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But so so you got back in column right formation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got back and just just pretended it, you know, kept trying to keep an eye on the.
Speaker 2: How is land navigation did you work on land nav using like a compass and a protractor.
Speaker 3: Of course, they give you a bunch of points and it's all you know, like the trains all about, like you know, branches and vines like two inches in front of your face. The whole time you're trying to like you can't use anything that you know, and it's a night. But you know, I was able to like stumble into the right points, I guess, and uh, you know, but when I was actually in the army, my god, man, I relied on the n CEOs and whoever that point man was to be like, tell me where we need to go. Because not my greatest skill set, but there's good enough, I guess, just to pass school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you had to pass at school.
Speaker 3: But you know that there's always somebody's been doing it a lot longer than you have, and there's a lot better than you do.
Speaker 2: So yeah, so maybe get a lens static compass if you're thinking about doing it, and start messing around with that and learning about all the different functions of like a lens static compass. Did you have technology to find your land navigation or was it a lens static that lens static style?
Speaker 3: Yep, just the old school compass. And that's really all you need, you know, like GPS can failure. But but the compass some points in the north, you know, yep, But yeah, I mean back to to specifically to Afghanistan. I you know one thing that you know, you asked about stories and that that's actually what kind of just chogged my thought on that we had the absolute honor and privilege of hearing a lot of the you know, whether the eighty second guys, whether they were you know, the Marines from two to one or you know, even three ten ten mountain guys tell their stories of what they dealt with because they were placed in an impossible situation. On August fourteenth, we had six hundred troops in the country that was it in a tiny airstrip in a dense urban environment surrounded by you know, pallar buildings that have oversight over you know, yeah, basically run and we ended up flying five thousand people back into the country to help this, you know, to secure it and help the evacuation. But a lot of them landed without. It was so it was so quick and everything was so at hog that they landed without you know, some of them didn't they didn't have a map, they'd never been to h guy before you have the you know, the crew chief on that the C one thirty just pointing and saying, hey, north is that way, and you know, guiding him into into positions. Some of them were when if you remember that those scenes of you know, the crowds flooding the airfield and you know, the people falling off planes, and that was August.
Speaker 2: Fifteenth, Baby up to the Marines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, fallowing off the airplanes as they were taking off because they were trying to cling on for dear life. They were there. Some of the Marines from two to one were you know, they come from Jordan and they were in my memories. I believe tark Weight it's it's in the book. I'm just confusing the two air base names right now. But they were there and the last thing that they saw before they got on the flight was was that chaos. And in between when they took off and when they landed, we were able to clear the airfield with the help of the CIA's para paramilitary organization that did National strike units. But so they landed thinking we're about we're walking like we're in to land and there're gonna be people like twenty feet off the ramp and you know, we're gonna be kind of like wrestling hand to hand with people, the same way our buddies are. And but that at that point it was you know, it was clear year and that they got off, and you know, the NCO was like, hey, get up, you know, should add like it's it's you're fine. But the point of that is they had no idea what they were walking into. And then what they dealt with at the gates. You know that the crowds were desperate, so they before the first shift at Abby Gate for one of these platoons, and Abby Gate was was that's the gate obviously where the bombing happened. It's also it was one of the main entrance points for American says Afghan allies, but also just the crowds of people who didn't eat the criteria but wanted to get in. And but before that first shift, their chaplain, it was a Catholic priest, told them, you know, you're going to see things that no person should ever have to see. And one of the Marines we spoke to said, you know, I didn't know what he mean. I was like, okay, chaplin, and then he said, like, you know, several hours later, I got it because there was a dead baby just floating in the canal right in front of me, and they they went, you know, babies and women being trampled to death by the crowds. There were women throwing themselves on the razor wire to try and either hurt themselves enough that they got medical treatment and brought inside the airfield, or because they didn't want they wanted to they kill themselves because they didn't want to go back through the Taliban checkpoints that are just brutalized.
Speaker 2: And that's right, because they're yeah, because want to be free.
Speaker 3: They were allowed in the Taliban to provide security again because of that failure to plan. But then also, you know they watched, you know, the Afghan or the Taliban were beating Afghan allies. They're beating American citizens and in some cases executing.
Speaker 2: Where the hell were the Afghan army doing anything at all? I just want to say something real good. Where the hell were they? Why weren't they standing up? Why are they willing to be translators for the Green Berets, Why are they willing to go and risk their lives? And now is suddenly we got to pull them out. Why can't they just stay there and fight like we fought against the British. Why can't they just die for their country, you know, with arms like wor supposed to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great.
Speaker 2: Why is it our fault that they don't defend their country? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, No, I mean I think there's plenty. There's plenty of that to go around. And we talked about that a lot in Cobble. The people have talked about are kind of like the interpreters are served with US units, and when the US units they were left behind. But for the Afghan military, I remember, you know there's there was one air force, remember this Air Force Special Operations comming. I'm trying to be a discrete here, but he said, and we quote in the book, and you know there was there was basically a riot at the gates and a lot of them were young military age males who had no connection to the US and no connection to Afghan government even, who were pushing, shoving, punching, trying to get their way through. And he said he remembered thinking, man, if you guys just fought the Taliban is half as hard as you're fighting us right now, we wouldn't be in this situation. So there's there's and there are a lot of units that just melted away. As anyone in Afghanistan knows, allegiances changed very quickly, and you know, you can rent loyalty, but you can't buy it. But you know, but there a lot of those other people, those interpreters, Afghan contractors, they were loyal and they were there and and we we bandoned them, and that I think is just morally disgraceful.
Speaker 2: Well let's let's let's put into perspective then real quick. You know, James, if there was about six to nine hundred of our troops, soldiers, marines in country that were there, you know, under orders, you know, what are they going to do? Right? Right?
Speaker 3: I mean I think so said the airfield on the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to get out. You got to get out, right if we're getting out? And so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sorry to interrupt, Yeah, I mean that's well.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking like so, you know, when we had the height of the you know, looking for Bin Laden and going to our Bora caves, you know, Delta was going after him, getting stopped in Pakistan because they couldn't cross borders and all these different types of things that were going on, and then all of a sudden, you know, we're down to like eight hundred people. Six you know, there was a whole administration six hundred people and prior to that, for four years, Trump could have uped those numbers or whatever. Yeah, he could have done something, but no, he just pulls out and signs it under you know, direct that he's not the president anymore, and he's just putting that on Biden's plate. And I get that, but it should be the American's failure. It shouldn't just be attached to Biden. Well, so we voted for both of those guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let me let me be very clear. I think that that was what what you know, and even December of twenty twenty one or twenty twenty excuse me, twenty twenty after your action, you know, Trump, you know, proclaimed like we're just gonna get everyone out right now, which also would have been an absolute disaster, and he got talked out of it, and thank god that didn't happen. And we're also we're very very clear eyed about you know, Secretary Michael, let's.
Speaker 2: Talk about who talked him out of that, right, General Millie, Yeah, I believe so if that's the case.
Speaker 3: It was, it was it was the joint chiefs when he's a chairman, you know. But like again in twenty twenty in the summer, you know, Mike Pompeia was was also saying things that you know about the Taliban's ability to in at the Taliban breaking with al Qaeda, that just we're not true and we know we're not true. And as we point that out in the book. So you know, we speak about Biden because he is the commander in chief and he was the one that made the decision when the military asked to keep twenty two hundred people there in the whole bog at least in terms of while also even if you're conducting an evacuation, let's keep at least you know, whole bogram while we do it. They said that thirty five hundred was the ideal, but there were there were twenty five one hundred people still in the country when Biden and they.
Speaker 2: Asked for.
Speaker 3: And so there were twenty five hundred still in the country and they didn't have orders to leave, yet those orders came from it. That's why you know what we focused on that point in time, because no matter where you come down in the first nineteen years. It was the decisions that were made to abandon Bogram, but then also to ignore all of the warnings coming from the military and even from the embassy officials, including the regional security officer, who's that the head State Department security guy stand warrying that, you know, Cobble was going to collapse, the Taliban were going to take over, and we're gonna have a disaster, and they ignored that. And so that that's why, you know, if you see in the subtitle of the book, it references Biden, but we're very very clear about the failures.
Speaker 2: That led up to it.
Speaker 3: But at the end of the day, he's a commander in chief. The buckstops there, and he made the decisions that he made independently, and in fact, he stated that he would have withdrawn. He said this in his I believe in his April speech announcing with draw for twenty twenty one, he said, Doha, no, Doha, I would have gotten out. And it's funny because they thought this was a great idea, and they thought that this was this is going to be kind of a win for them, and so throughout the spring and summer they were actually taking a lot of credit for making a decision. And it wasn't until everything fell apart that all of a sudden you hear this, Oh, our hands were tied. We were forced to do this again. The Dough agreement was conditions based. The Taliban didn't meet the conditions, we didn't have to get out, and those twenty five hundred were still there and didn't have redeployment orders before prison Biden commit.
Speaker 2: So if I pick up kind of, you know, the gist of what just you just said, and I interpret it through my specialism as in special led through school, so I have to interpret it that way, is that, you know, the administration of Biden was hoping that something could you know, transpire that was more successful than what had happened. Pulling out of a war is going to be difficult no matter who's in charge when you're pulling out. Okay, whether it's the previous guy or the previous guy or the next guy, so or gal let's be open here, okay, guy or gal okay, because it could have been anybody's name in that title, I imagine was what you're kind of saying to me right now. Yeah, And so as long as they're in command at the time that that all happened. Respect on that.
Speaker 3: You know, it could have been anybody who made those decisions, because I don't want to say passively as in command, because he actively made those decisions.
Speaker 2: And the thing is is that, you know, I think the hope was that they would defend their country. That these Green Berets and these Special Operation Teams and these CIA teams that you mentioned, these National teams and all these things have been working with the Afghan people for these years. They've been working with them all in different areas, in different villages and you know, tribal areas. Yeah, it's like, you know what are we like?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, I mean I'm a sympathetic.
Speaker 2: Are you damned if you do or damned if you don't?
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, well I'm a sympathetic to the next guy as wanting to you know, to get out. That's actually kind of where my sympathies were. Like, you know, so I'm not speaking to the eventual decision to withdraw troops specifically, were speaking to all of the decisions that were made then, but to your point about the Afghans or the decisions that are made along the way to do it in such a foolhardy and you know, frankly politically motivated decision that ultimately led to the loss of thirteen lives, thousands of Americans abandoned, and thousands, tens of thousands of Afghan allies abandoned. But to your point about the Afghan military, I think that this is something that we point out in Kabble.
Speaker 2: We you know in your book that we have whole story went out in.
Speaker 3: Our book Kabble, which you can find in Amazon that the so the administration continued to push this talking point that the Afghan military was three hundred thousand strong, and even General Millie pushed this talking point in you know, while testifying to Congress, and that that was simply and it was known inside the Pentagon that that that number was inflated and besides being inflated, inaccurate. And there's two reasons for that. First, when they were doing that, they were counting Afghan local police, Afghan border police in the figures of you know, the strength of their military, which yeah, they're they're they're armed, but you wouldn't say, like police in Peoria, Illinois, you wouldn't add those account of the US strength of our military.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But then Also, and more problematic, there was this issue of they're called ghost units and they existed entirely on paper with names, you know, of supposed soldiers in this battalion, but they didn't actually exist, and they were just a way for corrupt Afghan military officials to pocket all of the salaries that they were getting for you know, having those people supposedly there. And on top of that, they continued repeating that figure even through spring and summer when the Taliban onslaught was happening and Afghan soldiers being killed by the thousands, others getting you know, others deserting or falling apart, So that that was simply a you know, if you want to make the case to the American people, hey we're going to do this, but also the Afghan military is going to fall apart, the country's going to fall apart, go ahead and make that case. But what they did is they pretended that this was somehow going to be a viable option where the Afghan mility terry just stands up on its own and there's something important I want to get to that led from that and real, real, sure like actual handible harm from that. But just to underscore what I'm saying, we spoke with CIA. Individuals are relatively high places of the CIA, and we quote this in our book Cobble. The agency's assessment was without American contractor support or military support, the Afghan military would collapse between thirty days and ninety days. Ninety days being the most optimistic. And so you know, by and this is what I alluded to. That's what I said when I wanted to get to something, by creating this rosy narrative for the American people that this wasn't you know, this isn't going to happen, and also failing to plan for when it did happen. What it did is it created this false sense of security for a lot of Americans who were in Afghanistan working as aid workers for NGOs, for the World Bank, that you know, they don't need to get out now because everything's okay. And you know, at one point even Secretary Blincoln said, Afghanistan is not going to fall between a Friday and a Monday, and lo and behold, it actually literally fell kind of Friday Monday.
Speaker 2: They even said it fell faster than they wanted it to fall.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it literally fell exactly over a weekend the way way, you know, said yeah, and what is going to happen? And when that happened, right those Americans right behind the Taliban with a Taliban between them and safety.
Speaker 2: Oh. I outfitted guys that were going over there from Utah to bring their friends out. They I have a combats. They were looking, well, I do war games and so I have all the equipment that you wear. And he came in. He's like, I need eight plate carriers. And I was like, I know what you're doing. You're not playing Airsoft, but you want Airsoft gear because it's readily available. You know, the market was crazy during COVID. And if you have there is nothing on.
Speaker 3: The BA Ballistic Black Carrier, then all right.
Speaker 2: But here's my Airsoft store and it's got all sorts of gear inside of it. That's just everything we do for war games. And I've got these guys rolling in and I'm like, where do you play? That's what I say. I'm like, what what team are you on? He's like, I'm doing other things. I was like, oh, okay, full price peace out.
Speaker 3: You got contract stories of some of those groups who went you know, who went back, and yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I'm happy for them. I'm happy they went back and they tried.
Speaker 3: To do the right but oh yeah, but you know, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Some friends of mine went also to Ukraine to get friends out of Ukraine. You know, they're friends, like they don't want to go to war, bro they don't want to be in war.
Speaker 3: But they but they also have a deep sets of justice and also, yeah, you know, it's kind of there was this idea of you know, if not me, then who went when it came to stranded Americans stranded Afghans because the government wasn't doing it. And to this day, the people who have evacuated the most American citizens from Afghanistan have been these private groups and in some days, in some ways they've done that despite administration, you know, the State Department interference and at times the interpreter. At times the administration has actually claimed credit for their successes. And one specific example of that is interpreter's last names Khalilie, who was the guy who helped rescue Joe Biden in two thousand and seven when he was a senator and he was visiting Afghanistan as part of you know, congressional visit, and this helicopter got forced down and this interpreter in a snowstorm, and this interpreter went, you know, kind of out in the middle of nowhere and was there and helped facilitate his rescue. And then he you know, his story became known when everything collapsed and he was left behind, and he publicly pleaded in the Wall Street Journal, you know, don't leave me behind, almost essentially return the favor. And the Biden administration said on August thirty first, after we pulled out, that they were going to do everything they could to make sure that he escaped, and he was rescued by a group of veteran and former intelligence community officials who got him out of the country. They drove him out of the country, taking a thirteen hour route to avoid Talben checkpoints. They got him to a safe house in Pakistan, and it was only then that the administration learned that he was out of the country. And when they found out where he was because this group was trying to arrange safe passage to Kosovo, the State Department left capital of Pakistan and drove out to where the safe house was and completely exposed the location of AT Number one. Picked this guy up and his family up. Very deserving but they picked them up, left all of the other evacuees in that safe house behind, and then flew him back to the United States or out of Pakistan, excuse me, and publicly took credit for keeping their promise. And they even have the goal to think the quote groups who helped along the way, and I think that's uh, you number one, you.
Speaker 2: Don't think that was all tied in at all. There's no you don't think there's any backdoor channel that we're not.
Speaker 3: We spoke to people, we spoke to. We spoke to the individuals responsible for that evacuation, and they told us that story. We didn't know about it. They told it to us because we were trying to just learn more about what they create, what they were doing to, you know, rescue people. And I asked, you know, as as the government, but helpful and this individuals said. There are multiple individuals who spoke to and one of them said, no, in fact, you know, in some cases, they put all of our lives at risk by you know, exposing that safehouse just to claim credit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're expendable. And fortunately that's the that's that covert world, right. You never hear we never heard us. You never saw this. None of this ever happened, and if it did happen, we don't know nothing about it. And it's like all Lord of War.
Speaker 3: And that's why some of these stories are very important to tell and we try to tell them in the book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Capture, And I'm happy that to meet you, and I'm glad that you put this on paper and you've put it into a book, and you know I would and we didn't want to give spoilers. You guys have all watched it if you've watched the actions of Coble, but this has more insights from people who were there that James went and talked with and got all that insight in. And so this book I'm going to read it again. It's called Cobble, The Untold Story of Biden's Fiasco and the American warriors who fought to the end. All right, so go check that out. It should be dropping at all your favorite places, Amazon, etc. We've already mentioned that real quick. I do want to mention that I do have that merch store, and you know, go check it out at soft rep dot com and get some branded goods. And we really love that you send us some tag us on Instagram and stuff, so keep doing that and on behalf of James. I just want to say thank you so much, James.
Speaker 3: Thanks man. This was awesome. There was a it was a lot more fun than you know, a center conversation with anyone else.
Speaker 2: A little different, huh, A little different, bro. Thanks Ranger. I appreciate you. Appreciate your attorney juris doctorate. Dude, I wish you know. I'm young enough. I could still get one. Okay, still can do it. I still can actually graduate f I can finish college. My lawyer friends tell me you know your problem. Rad I'm all, what, You're not a lawyer. I'm like you, dick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they tell me you know your problem.
Speaker 2: You're a lawyer, so you're a lawyer. Well, mister attorney, mister Ranger, mister American bleeds red blood just like me. I want my listener to know that you can have a random conversation with a stranger and still come out of it saying it was nice talking to you one hundred percent, and thank you to my listener. First soft rep. Thanks to all the special operation forces out there that go and do things that I just sleep through. So all right, Well, with that said, I just want to say thanks again. Go buy that book, check it out, and likely subscribe. Comment down below is right saying peace.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to self red lydia h.