Speaker 1: Pushkin.
Speaker 2: Hey, dream listeners, if you like this podcast, you're gonna love the book.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I wrote a book. It's called Selling the Dream and it's coming out March twelfth, twenty twenty four, on Atria. It's about all of your favorite characters from MLMs and some that you've never even heard of. I hope check it out. He's a hypnotherapist.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: He does NLP neural linguistic programming, which I don't think is a real thing. I mean it's a real thing and that people like claim that they know that they're educated in it, but it's a pseudoscience, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, isn't it normally associated with cult in manipulation. Yeah, that's how it's going to Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: I recognized it as neural linguistic programming. And then he started to use all of these tactics like in control, behavior control, emotional control. He started like telling us what emotions were acceptable and one's what we're not, And like my brain was like firing on all cylinders, like I'm like I could. I was just like checking off everything that I was reading about. He is emotionally manipulating us right now. He is controlling us.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get back into that whole mindset thing. But all life coaches rely.
Speaker 5: On when you tell your mind what's important to you. There is extraordinary science that proves that your mind has a live and ever changing filter, a live network that changes how it views the world, what it lets in, what it blocks out. And if you program your mind correctly, and if you're clear about what you want to create, your mind will help you get what you want.
Speaker 1: Why don't they watch your language? Are our words shape the way we think and how we feel, and how we feel determines what we do, and what we do determines whether they get results or not. I'm talking about being aware that there are certain words that you use, everyone individually uses that puts you your energy up and some that put it down. Certain words and phrases start to limit you. Certain words and phrases free you. By transforming the words you use regularly, you literally change your biochemistry, your emotions, your thinking, and your actions.
Speaker 6: Let's say you decide to make some chocolate chip cookies. You get out a bowl, You add the milk, you add the flour, the brown sugar, the egg. But what have I told you that the cookies changed the way they tasted based on the bowl you picked. That's what language is. Language does not just communicate emotion, It shapes what we're feeling.
Speaker 2: That was mel Robin's Tony Robins and Burnet Brown who forgot to add chocolate chips to that chocolate chip cookie recipe. That was a weird metaphor for something. What all this sounds like to me is manifesting or envisioning or whatever. But the keywords they're using are brain and language and programming. The combination of those three things, the way you think, the words you use, and the stuff you've been programmed to believe. It has a name all the experts know, neuro linguistic programming, or NLP. Tony Robbins is an outright proponent and expert in NLP, and it has seeped into almost every corner of the coaching world. But the scientific world says it's complete huey, which made it really hard to find someone reputable to talk about it. Academics simply don't take it seriously. The first sentence on Wikipedia's page about NLP reads neuro linguistic programming. NLP is a pseudoscientific approach to communication, personal development, and psychotherapy. So the Tony Robbins, the expensive workshops, the pseudoscience. I mean, NLP is not great at being taken seriously, at least by me, just like weed, but there's no ignoring its impact on coaching. Finally I found someone who said they would for free help me understand this thing, John James Santangelo.
Speaker 3: Before we get started, I listened to a couple of your episodes. Huh, you're you're You're like you're tough. Oh, I'm like, you're gonna ask hard questions. I'm giving it back to you.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: John has written a book called Discovering NLP. Introduction to the Basic Principles of NLP, and if I were his copy editor, I wouldn't have let him put NLP in the title twice. But anyway, luckily John lives nearby enough to be here with me in person. Perhaps that was my first mistake.
Speaker 3: I started out, probably like most people, looking for answers, and I started my psychology degree and going that direction. I'm like, no, don't want to do that. I can't sit in the room for eight hours with people and just listen to people complain. I'm not that kind of person. I'm the kind of person. If we communicate and you tell me what the problem is and I have a solution, I'm going to kick you in the ass to tell you how to do it. I found NLP, after I found Tony Robbins, and I got certified. Then I went on to different instructors around the country and then finished my degree. Just finished my PhD in clinical hypnosis. I started doing that and I don't need that. I just wanted the PhD. After my name looks good on the book.
Speaker 2: Doctor John James Santangelo, PhD. Is not a huge fan of traditional talk therapy, especially the Freudian kind. Neither were the men who invented neuro linguistic programming.
Speaker 3: When we come to the conclusion that we don't know what we're doing and we go to seek help outside of ourselves, we usually go to a therapist, and up until the forties, fifties and sixties, that's all there was. There was no other type of tradition therapy. So these two gentlemen the University of Santa Cruz. One was a mathematician, is a genius.
Speaker 2: So there were these two guys that you see Santa Cruz in the seventies. These two guys Their names are John Grinder and Richard Bandler. Bandler was studying psychology and Grinder was a linguistics professor. And I don't know if you know what you see Santa Cruz in the seventies as shorthand for, but it's like hippie tippy thinking, and a lot of it was great. Together, they decided to cook up a new method of essentially helping people feel better and do better and like achieve their dreams and stuff without dwelling on the past. They wanted action steps, they wanted forward thinking, they wanted formulas, they wanted cheat codes to happiness and success. But back to our discussion, I just want to warn you this was one of the most frustrating, overwhelming, yet utterly mesmerizing interviews I've ever done. What is neuro linguistic.
Speaker 3: Prog Well, neural linguistic program means neuro the mind body connection, because we know they're connected and we can't work on one without the other. Then the linguistic part is language, the language that we talk to ourselves, like you're doing right now, you're asking questions or making comments in your head, and how you communicate with the language with others outside of yourself, and then the programming. It is a process. There processes, but the programming comes from like a computer, a computer is a blank hard drive until we install software, which is we are programming the computer the same way that we program our children. Children come into the world. We all do with blank hard drives. We're surrounded by our primary care takers. That's usually your parents are one parent, could be your grandparents that brought you up if you are brought up in a foster care, right, those become your primary care caretakers. Then they download their software, their beliefs, their behaviors, their modalities, how they function, how they communicate onto our hard drive.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're thinking of the brain as we're all born with a blank hard drive. And then tell me where the linguistic programming comes at, Like where does it get okay, good programmed incorrectly.
Speaker 3: Or well, who decides that what's correct? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well I'm a mom, so I.
Speaker 3: Do you as the individual decides if they did it right or they did it exactly. But when and how Usually when you run into a block wall or you run into a problem, so we don't really figure out until sometime later on in life. Usually it's probably in your twenties. After you get out of school or college, you start having to live your life, get a job, maybe you're in a committed relation, whatever that is, and you figure out this is not working for me. So when we get to that stage of figuring out this is not working, what do most people do.
Speaker 2: Go to therapy?
Speaker 1: Some?
Speaker 2: Well most, oh, you asked, most, I don't know.
Speaker 3: So when we come to the conclusion of things aren't working in our life, we try to fix things ourselves, and a lot of the times, how could you know what to do when all you know is the way that you've been doing it. If you only have one way of making a cake and it completely turns out bad every time, and somebody says your cake sucks, it tastes bad, and you go back in too make another cake, but you only know one way to make it, how are you expecting to produce something different? So that's when most people go to traditional therapy. The co creators with NLP decided, if the problem was bad the first time, talking about it over and over and over again isn't going to make it better. So we look at problems like that and go, how can I solve that? And you solve it what we call a transderrivational search. We go what trans derivational search?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is another term those guys made up at UC Santa Cruz, which is a fancy way of saying remembering something a transer.
Speaker 3: We go back into a past. We pull up that video of how we did it before. We bring it in front of us and go, ah, that's how I do it, and you do it again and then you don't get the result. Your brain goes, well, let me go back into the past, see if I can try something else. But everything you've tried doesn't work. You're still looking at the same problem with the solution that you've been dealing with the entire time. Okay, Now, hopefully if a good therapist will come along, we'll allow you to come up with the solution. But most people don't. That's why they keep going back to the same therapists year after you have after year.
Speaker 2: How does it work?
Speaker 1: Like? What is?
Speaker 3: Okay? I give you here? It is so we study what's called modeling, because NLP is about modeling success. And then there's a strategy or recipe or a program that they implemented themselves, and usually they don't even know what it is. But we in NLP can model their success by their beliefs, their internal language, and the physiological processes they went through. If I can map those out, then I can take that model now that I have and teach it to somebody else.
Speaker 2: But like I don't understand, what do you use?
Speaker 3: Okay? So our world or map is made up of our five senses, okay, okay, there are two million bits of information coming into our brain every second. Things you're not even aware of, the way your feet feeling your shoe, the way your fingers it's touching your eye, your your headphone, the taste in your mouth, the things that you're saying. Your internal processes. You're not aware of those until I bring them up. So those two million bits come in, but the brain chunks them down to seven plus or minus two.
Speaker 2: How do you know that?
Speaker 3: Because their studies done. Miller Glant on nineteen fifty seven did a study and he said that we can only process seven bits of information at a time, the length of a phone number. Coincidence, No, so.
Speaker 2: This information they didn't as they weren't always I know.
Speaker 3: I know, but it's funny. How coincidence?
Speaker 2: That's what I said I'm going to jump in here and correct John. It was actually a nineteen fifty six paper, not nineteen fifty seven. It came out of Harvard, and there's been some recent scholarship about how beautifully written it was, entertaining and well received. It begins, My problem is that I've been persecuted by an integer for seven years. This number has followed me around, has intruded my most private data, and has assaulted me from the pages of our most public journals. This number assumes a variety of disguises, being sometimes a little larger and sometimes a little smaller than usual, but never changing so much as to be unrecognizable. The persistence with which this number plagues me is far more than a random accident. There is, to quote a famous senator, a design behind it, some pattern governing its appearances. Either there really is something unusual about the number, or else I am suffering from delusions of persecution. The author, George Miller, was so delightful in his approach that his conclusion, based on dozens of real studies he references in the paper, might have haltered further progress of study into that area for quite some time. In twenty fifteen, Nelson Cohen, a professor at the University of Missouri, wrote a paper called George Miller's Magical Number of Immediate Memory in retros Observations on the faltering progression of science. Can't you tell us what you really think? Nelson? Well, he does quote. It was oddly followed by rather little research on the numerical limit of capacity in working memory. Given that the article was written in a humorous tone and it was framed around a tongue in cheek premise, I argued that it may have inadvertently stymied progress on these topics as researchers attempted to avoid ridicule. Great, moving on anyway.
Speaker 3: Okay, so all this information is coming in. You're outside, you're driving your car, whatever it is, talking to your daughter. All this information is coming in. We distill it down to seven pieces, but we have to filter it first, and it's filtered through our beliefs, our decisions, our past, our attitudes, our values, and our memories. Yeah, what shows up on the other side of that is what we call an internal representation. Now I'm gonna give you an exactly understand. I'm going to give you a word, which is you don't know the word. Yet it is outside of you. It is gonna be one of those pieces of information coming in. You're gonna make meaning of it by distilling it and filtering it through all your stuff. Okay, and then when I point to you, I want you to say the first thing that comes to mind. Okay, the word is dog gross gross. Okay, that's funny because not that it doesn't matter about Okay. So this event comes in, we filter it, we make some internal representation of what it is. It changes our state, our state of mind. I'll give an example.
Speaker 2: Now I'm thinking about how gross dogs are.
Speaker 3: Yes, so that changes your internal state. Now I'm gonna give you a more complex word love hate. Who Now, I look at what's funny, audience. I just saw this look on her face and it was an emotional response to hate. No, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: If you could describe you, all of.
Speaker 3: A sudden, everything got sucked out of you. It just went like that, like you just did it again. So we have this emotional response, which you did it again. So the event comes in, you filter it, you get an emotion. It changes. Yeah, you go stand up, stand up, say deep breath, think of your daughter. What you're wearing today. Good to sit down there, you go. I just change your state. Okay, So the emotion comes in, it changed our state, changed our physiology, and we behave through that physiology like you just did. You went, that's a behavior. This is going on every nanosecond of our experience in life. As I communicate lights coming in, you're hearing other things, you're talking to yourself. This is all events into your mind filtered through those responses that you had in the past. You get an emotional feeling from it. It changes your physiology and we behave. That is how we do things.
Speaker 2: So okay, So had you not had me stand up and think about what the stupid output my kid picked out, had you not had me do that, you.
Speaker 3: Would have been stuck in that negative state. Really yeah, and you can't impy yet, No, not grumpy, you were just like ugh. I watched you loop through it three times. Now, here's what I meant by the state and physiology. You're interchangeable. When you feel an emotion, it changes your body. But also when you change your body, it changes your emotion.
Speaker 2: Okay, tell me examples of that.
Speaker 3: What I just had you do, I said, stand up, think of your daughter and you still all of a sudden started smiling. You threw your shoulders back, your chin like you took a deep breath, and all of a sudden everything went ah and you got this enlightened feeling.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So one of the things Tony Robbins talks about is when you're in a negative state, and there's plenty of words that can represent that negative state. Don't sit in it, don't dwell in it, get up and move. That's how easy it is. Do you understand, here's the problem with life. This is the problem. We're not taught how to put ourselves in a good mood. We know how to put ourselves in a bad mood. Just think of something that we don't like, or that happened in a past, or something that's coming up that's going to give us anxiety. All of a sudden, bam, we get the emotion, our physiology changes, and we behave It's sad. It's sad that we're not taught that if you change your body, you can change your state.
Speaker 2: Do I have to be doing this all the time? So what is the lpet Jesus? Because I just want you to.
Speaker 3: Let me give you a process. One of the most powerful ways to change your world is to change your internal dialogue. Now, I'm only going to give you three examples here, Oh my god, thousands all right, because they're just all words, right, because every word holds power. Right. So here's one of the things I teach my students. The first three words, which are very easy because we use them all the time, especially in America. One is called the negation. It's the word but, okay, And I'll give you an example of a negation. A negation is like don't, shouldn't, can't, instead of using the word but, God, Jane, I am having so much fun here. But it doesn't matter what comes after that, because your mind only heard the negation, and that's how we normally talk to ourselves. So here's the challenge. We are ag a nation of negations. And you're going to find, now that I said it, if you're aware and you truly want to make a change in your life, how many times you use the word butt in your life. It's horribly bad. It's horribly bad, and it's a negation. God, I just I want to spend so much time with you and I love you so much, But it doesn't matter what's said after that, And that's how we communicate. So use a causal linkage. It's called a causal linkage, the word and it presupposes a connection to and of I really want to spend time. I love you so much. And now you're waiting for the next thing because it's going to support, because it's going to support what I just said, rather than negate. Does that make sense? Okay, So change the word butt, use the word and instead next word the word try. Now here's the here's the example. So Jane, try to take the pin.
Speaker 2: John picks up my pen and holds it in his open palm right in front of my face. So I grab it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you're not listening. I didn't say take the pen. I said try and take the pen. So go ahead, try to take the pin. No no, no, you're not taking the pen. I didn't say not take the pen. I said try and take the pin. And that's what people do. This think like this, back and forth, back and forth. But you're still not taking the pins. That makes sense. You're either taking the pen or you're not taking the pin. There's no try to take the pin, yoda.
Speaker 2: We're all thinking it. What John's saying here is basically that words matter and have an impact in the physical world, So don't use words that limit what you're capable of doing. Helping people get rid of words without clear meanings, words that won't lead directly to the outcome they're seeking, is central to his coaching practice. I think, okay, so what do.
Speaker 3: I do so when we communicate to ourselves and other people? Oh yeah, Jane, I'm ah man, I'm really going to try to make your party on Saturday night. You know you're not you know they're not right. So but use the word and try. I will or won't or I can or I cannot be definitive. And the third word the word problem. Boy, this one's a tough one too. People want to just experience their world as one big problem. And when you when your unconscious mind is processing that word, it seems insurmountable. Okay, change the word to challenge. That was the very first one that my instructor said to me, goes, I'm going to challenge you to use the word challenge from now on instead of problem. I'm like, this sucks. I went back the next week because it's six weekend course. I'm like, that's hard. He goes, yeah, because you're fighting your unconscious mind, you're programming. Yes.
Speaker 2: John works with business leaders people who want to better communicate with their teams or colleagues or prospects. And he's also a life coach with individuals who want to improve their mindset, get ahead in life, stop getting in their own way. It's been really hard not to call his methods and NLP in general, how to get what you want by manipulating yourself and everyone around you. But I really like John, so don't tell him I said that. Did you just hypnotize me in anyway?
Speaker 3: Not necessarily.
Speaker 2: Say more?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm trying to condition you. Whenever we're in a positive, emotional, wonderful state, do we ever look outside of ourselves and go, boy, I wish this was even bigger and brighter. No, the answer is no, probably because we're inside and we're enjoying it. Yeah, we just we want to bathe ourselves in those emotions. They're so wonderful. That's what life is about. That is all that life is about.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Wait, here's a question. Yes, when I'm in the most positive, happy thing, I literally the first and tell me why I do this and what's wrong with me.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with you.
Speaker 2: I think kill me now.
Speaker 3: I guess that's what You're in a positive state and you say kill me now like dine out. Oh yeah, because that's what you want to end up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just want to be done, like I don't I'm gonna choke.
Speaker 3: You don't use those words. Your unconscious mind is always listening, and it takes everything literally and personally. Oh you know I'm kill myself.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't want to kill myself, but like when I'm gonna really use I think like kill me now, Like.
Speaker 3: No, don't say those Okay. Would you tell your daughter to say that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, then why would you tell yourself and your unconscious mind to say that to yourself?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I come myself an idiot thirty times a day.
Speaker 3: I do. Your unconscious mind is always listening.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: It takes everything literally and personally.
Speaker 2: Before you left, John James Santangelo, who used to be a professional magician, had one last thing to show me.
Speaker 3: Watch this. Some people actually think this is real, like you, I'll be picked this up the pen.
Speaker 2: Yeah oh yeah. Now we're sitting at a table about three feet away from each other, longer than arm's length. On his side, there's a bottle of water on a coaster. On my side, there's a bottle of water on a coaster. And I have my pen and notepad right in front of me because I was using them. He stood up a bit, reached over and grabbed my pen.
Speaker 3: Now you think it's real?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 3: No, it's not what because if I take it right and I say, it's not real because if it was real, I couldn't do this, or I couldn't do this, and I couldn't do this. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So then now the pen was in his hands and then it disappeared.
Speaker 3: If I said it's not there, it's under here, you'd be like wow.
Speaker 2: And then it reappeared under the notebook. I was using my pen, my notebook.
Speaker 3: But that's what life is about. Impossibility.
Speaker 2: That was creepy.
Speaker 3: Thanks good word, not entertained. That was creepy.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: When this interview was over and John left, we in the office were in a complete daze. You know, like when you go see a matinee starring Dwayne the Rock Johnson and afterwards you walk out of the theater and into the peaceful daylight and you're totally disoriented. It felt itchy and confusing and intense. And maybe that's the whole point. I wonder how much that feeling, the feeling that something not sure what, but something happened, gets confused with NLP quote working, you know what I mean, maybe a little placebo effect's going on. I felt fired up and discombobulated, and I'm sure in that state if John were like, hey, want to sign up for another session, if he was my life coach, I would just be like, Yeah, let's get to the bottom of this, dude coming up. We talked to some folks who couldn't disagree with John Moore. After all, there are certain things, say being a woman, or impoverished, or gay, or a person of color, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. You know, systemic bullshit that no amount of programming or willpower or effort can in our current society be made easier by an individual changing their mindset. Believe me, I've tried. That's next time on the dream.
Speaker 3: Meditating isn't going to help you deal with the fact in order to feed your children means you have to do two or three jobs or take nightshift jobs. It's like she put on a Blazer and she's an expert. They have been sold the American Dream. A lot of us have been sold the American Dream.
Speaker 2: The Dream is written, hosted, and executive produced by me Jane Marie. Our producer is Mike Richter, with help from Nancy Golumbiski and Joy Sandford. Our editor is Peter Klown. The Dream is a co production of Little Everywhere in Pushkin Industries. If you love this show, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus, offering bonus content, exclusive binge opportunities, and add free listening across our network for just six ninety nine a month. Look for the Pushkin Plus channel on Apple Podcasts or at pushkin dot fm, and while you're there, please sign up for our newsletter. To find more Pushkin podcasts, listen on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your shows.