Speaker 1: Hey, what is up everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Guiltiest Charge Podcast, presented by the Chargers Podcast Network. My name is Stephen and I am the host as always and joining me Joining me is my guy Tyler. Tyler, what's on man doing tonight?
Speaker 3: Yippi k Melon Farmer? It is Cowboys week. I am excited. It was nice having a bye week, you know, he didn't have to cover anything really over back Monday night football is here. Steven. How are you doing.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great.
Speaker 2: I think I understand where the pop culture references to that one, so I missed the one from last week, So I'm doing great.
Speaker 1: Man. You know, it's been been a nice week.
Speaker 2: To recharge, you know, for our Chargers audience. I went back to Utah visits some family for my brother's wedding and you know, got away from the screen for a little bit and it was great. So we obviously did have to cover a trade last week, which we are going to dive into a little bit more today. We do have Brad Spielberger from Pro Football Focus joining us for about twenty minutes or so on on this episode, picked his brain a little bit about the financial side of things. After the JC Jackson trade and then just you know, had some great conversation about the Chargers and the rest of the season, and you know, it was a great time talking with Brad today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Brad's awesome. Sometimes listening to either Argent or Brad is like listening to my grandpa talk about military history, where they just rattle off information. Are you just sitting there like uh huh, yep, totally makes sense. You can just kind of nod your head. And Brad's one of the best, and for a reason. He knew everything right off the top of his head. He knew the Charger's red zone efficiency right off the top of his head. I mean, he's awesome and it's an honor to have him on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the preparation definitely stands out. I for like the financial stuff, Like I have to re listen to Argent and Brad like a few times and like all texts Argent throughout the week, okay, like what does this mean? Like okay, like what is this? Like where do they get this are from? And you know, I really respect guys who just like they're they're so tuned in and dialed into too stuff like that. So I had a great conversation with Brad, and we're excited to get get to that here in a minute. First and foremost, Tyler and I are fans of the team, just like you guys are. We've been granted this platform and are very grateful for it. But the opinions that we express on this show, on this platform are strictly our own. They are not the opinion of the Chargers organization themselves. This is our outlet for us to talk about charge of Football and we're and we're grateful for it, but the opinions are strictly our owned. So that being said, let's get to this interview with mister Brad spielbergerper thrilled to be joined by mister Brad Spielberger from Pro Football Focused. He is one of the best in the business when it comes to breaking down the cap, breaking down the economics side of the NFL, and we're super excited to have him on today. Well, we'll talk about some of the J. C. Jackson stuff, Like I said, some of the repercussions from that trade, and then we'll also get some of Brad's And now I'm just kind of the rest of the season. I know everybody's kind of talking about trades and who's good, who's bad, all this stuff, So we'll we'll pick Brad's brain a lot about all of that, and excited to have him on here.
Speaker 1: So Brad, thanks for joining us. Man. How you doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks much for having me doing well, Like you said, just getting ready for trade deadline season and all that madness. But yeah, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of fan here because we have you know Argent, of course, we know Argin. We all know Argent of work with Argin and he said nothing but great things. I'm kind of fan boying here because my reputation, you're the best. And anyone who's looked at cat projections or contract projections like if they're good, it's Brad. So I'm excited to have you on here.
Speaker 5: Well, very very kind. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've I've had the pleasure of interviewering Brad on our channel.
Speaker 2: This is Tyler's first time, you know, I usually do the interviews on my own on our channel. So excited to have Brad joined both of us today. So let's jump into this JC Jackson conversation. Obviously, you know the team has moved on from like a dialogue standpoint and Michael Davis was talking about it, but fans are asking us, so we're going to ask you just kind of the financial repercussions from this.
Speaker 1: I know that there was there's.
Speaker 2: Always a lot of you know, financial talk that gets tweeted out whenever these transactions happens, whenever a contract extension gets done.
Speaker 1: In terms of the.
Speaker 2: Short term impact of trading J. C. Jackson, what is the impact if any, for the Charters cap sheet.
Speaker 5: For twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: You do clear a little bit of money, the one point five to five million dollars in salary that traveled to New England. You know, basically what they did is they converted that all out, spread it over the cap and then traded him. That's how a lot of these deadline deals get done. I guess this isn't really a deadline deal, but you know is the inquiring team doesn't want to bring in that big salary, and a situation like this, obviously they're not going to bring in that big salary. So the inherent team, you know, converts it all that way, it stays on their books and then sends a smaller salary across the table. So, yeah, nine point six million dollar dead cap this year and then a twenty point eight million dollar dead cap pit next year. So we're talking over thirty million dollars in cap hit, you know, for for New England Patriots cornerback J C.
Speaker 5: Jackson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Explain to me again, why is it that they have twenty point eight million dollars in dead cap next year because of this trade? Like I see it, I sort of get it, but you can explain it better.
Speaker 5: Yeah, for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So before this trade it went down, you already had the signing bonus was pro rated over the five years of the deal, so there was already I want to say, fifteen million dollars, is that right? Twenty five million dollars signing bonus? Think that sounds right.
Speaker 5: So basically where it works is let's say that's what it is. I think it's what it was.
Speaker 4: If you give a guy a twenty five million dollars signing bonus on a five year deal, there's gonna be five million dollar cap hits in all five years of the deal. Those don't go away, they don't disappear. They're still there. So when you trade him in his second season, the five million dollars in the third through fifth year they would all hit the cap next year. And then also because of what I just talked about, because you converted you know, the lion's share of his remains salary, I want to say, over ten million dollars. You know, that also gets spread out, so some of that hits this year, and then the majority of it actually hits the last three years because you're spreading that over four remaining years in that situation, and three fourths of it will hit in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Gotch.
Speaker 2: So the relief from this, from getting off of this contract is more so a twenty twenty five thing than it would be a twenty twenty four thing.
Speaker 1: Is that is am I understanding that correctly?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean the relief really is just is just saving one point five million dollars in salary for this year because obviously, you know, in twenty twenty five, hypothetically he'd have no guaranteed salary remaining, you would still have the dead cap hits you know, of ten million dollars at that point. So yeah, I suppose so. But but really what's al's happening is all that is accelerating up into twenty twenty four, and it's kind of a zero sum game, because you then can't carry over that cap space into the following year. Right, you can carry over unused cap space from a certain season into the following year. So you either haven't twenty you either have the dead cap in twenty twenty five, or haven't twenty twenty four, but you have less you know, carryover cap. So it's kind of yeah, I mean the relief is just having him off the roster and just and just moving on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, difficult either way. There one thing that I wasn't sure how much you know of. I certainly don't. There's this sort of talk going around that the Chargers could potentially file like a grievance or something. I think they're mostly going to be past that. I think they've washed their hands and moved on. But just ask you, because you are here now. It is going off of a report. We don't know this one hundred percent to be sure, but it is Ian Rappaport and they did the work there to talk about how jac would refuse to go on the field Week four against the Raiders. So if it were a thing, and if the Chargers were to pursue this, what is that? What does that entail?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So Look, those guys don't say stuff like that by accident. You know, they often will put stuff out there that kind of helps build a case and build a potential narrative.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, the grievance would be refusing to.
Speaker 4: You know, provide some services, which is the player participating in football games on all these little kind of nitpicky and like wishy washy and stuff like that. It's very very hard to do. They could file agrievance, they'd probably be going after. Essentially, the teams can try to go after the signing bonus money that it look they already paid the signing bonus, but you're allowed to go after those proation amounts I just talked about. So you could say, all right, for the fifteen million dollars owed from twenty four to twenty six, we could try to recoup that. It's very very hard to accomplish. Like if you do get cash back from the player, which I've talked to teams in ages about this almost never happens, like they try, but good luck with that. If you do get that cash back, you would be able to get not only a cash relief but also a salary cap credit.
Speaker 5: But there's a whole long process.
Speaker 4: While you're during the grievance, there's a hold on your salary and you know, thirty percent or forty percent of your salary at the time. It's a whole convoluted process. My guess is they just kind of clean their hands.
Speaker 1: And move on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's certainly sounds that way too. And we'll get to some of the onfield stuff. I'm curious now because we've we've seen some other trades happening recently too, the like swapping of the seventh round and the sixth round pick. What does that really equate to if anything, from like a draft capital perspective.
Speaker 4: It's effectively a wash, really, right, I mean, once you get outside of the first I would say four rounds in my opinion, Not that those picks are not worth anything, they of course are. You're gonna find gems, You're gonna find good players in the later rounds. But like swapping a sixth for a seventh your board, you know, each team's board could have players that are one hundred picks or fifty picks apart. So like it kind of is it's really the NFL's version of a salary dump trade, right, Like we see it in the NBA, it's obviously, you know, a whole different construct and a good player and a first round pick maybe goes somewhere because he's not a great player and it's not worth this massive contract he's on. This is effectively the NFL's version. You're really just saying, we want to get some cash and cap relief, and we're just swapping picks as something of a formality. Obviously, you know, you move up around, which is nice. But yeah, I mean my trade chart probably has it as a net benefit of less than a draft pick, you know, because that because those late rounds are just so, you know, so kind of cheap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that makes sense. Let's let's continue with the theme of trades them while we're on this now. The Chargers obviously trading away a player. There was sort of a rumor circulating about them being interested in Chase Claypool. There are plenty of bad NFC teams right now, and some of them are looking for quarterbacks next year and a very good quarterback class. Do you see any of those teams being active? And I guess in particular, is there anybody in particular or a position in particular the Chargers could be looking at as you kind of assess the needs that they currently have heading to the rest of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think sticking with wide receiver, there's probably a couple of teams. You know, you're probably not going to engage with Denver just because you're in the division. But I think you look at Carolina like there are some talented players like Terras Marshall and Carolina played zero snaps this past week and at nine catches in Week four. Kind of a bizarre you know, that stuff kind of raises your sensors and it should have the antenna go up. Kind of wondering why.
Speaker 5: That is the case.
Speaker 4: So I think he's a good player too, a former second round pick and obviously has kind of an in and out of the lineup, but when he does play, he's fairly productive. So I think that's one answer there. Look, I think the draft class, like Tooley playing well probably eliminates the need to add a rotational pass rusher a third guy there. Obviously, Khalil Mack had a historic week the other weekend, so that's always good to see. And Joey Bosas dealing with the tow and whatever. But I think we'll get back in the mix there. But look, I mean this is one of the more expensive rosters in the NFL. I don't think they're making any sort of big time move. I think, yeah, like a terrorist Marshall at corner. I've been asked as a bunch like, it's hard to think of a name of a solid starting cornerback. The only name out with we're out there, and I guess he probably did. Now he missed Brandon Stale in Chicago. But Jalen Johnson with the Chicago Bears, I do think is the one name that I think is a would provide an upgrade to a lot of football teams as a good outside corner that I think is probably actually available.
Speaker 5: So maybe him as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're kind of you know, talking about this without talking about it, right for the Chargers and what they're looking for for a potential like trade target, right is somebody that's cheap, somebody that's young, somebody that's on an expiring deal. You know, there's a lot of requests out there that we get for these guys who are on you know, three year contracts and things like that. But you know, with all these ramifications from the JC trade and all the restructuring, Like it's the guys who are cheap or on expiring deals that really should be the focus for this team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, I mean, you want to make a push this year. You obviously have a lot of older players that might not be on the roster next year. I still, I know we'll get into it a little bit here. I still think they're they're fine. They're two and two. They could go into the buy at the perfect time. You know that they're alive and the thick of things. I mean, plenty of AFC teams have not really made the most of the early portion of the season, so you know it's not they're in their own company. But yes, no, if they're making a trade for me, it's a guy on a rookie contract, like you said, probably the fourth year of a rookie contract.
Speaker 5: That's the target.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about the rest of the team and the rest of the year. So we they're obviously at two and two. I think Steven had them going ten and seven, and the rest of the way I had them at nine and eight. I still can't get over the seventeen game thing. I can't do the math with that. I am slightly more pessimistic than Steven. But I guess the quote unquote good news is the rest of the AFC in front of them has not really been quite what we thought it was going to be, certainly not with Cincinnati, the Steelers, the Patriots of course, the Jets losing Aaron Rodgers. Where do you kind of see the Chargers filling in the rest of the way here, I think we all meeting Stephen having still making the playoffs, still being you know, solid in terms of record, but what do you see the rest of the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm right with you, guys, nine to ten wins. I mean, well, you probably have all four games against Las Vegas and Denver still left, so you know, we're not going to count w's. I'm on a Chargers podcast. I'm not about the count w's, but but that should be that should be four wins in theory at least three wins out of those four, so you know, you can find some easy wins in the schedule. But yeah, for me, they're a wild card team that maybe if they get out of the right time or they stay healthy. I mean, look, their offense is still you know, top five and e paper play top ten and success for eight off that side of the ball obviously is going to carry you you know, late in the season, and the defense can't really be all that much worse, and so maybe it does improve to enough of a degree where again they get hot at the right time and make a run. So yeah, tennant seven, nine and eight is right where I would have it as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's talk about that offense too, because I think like there was so much curiosity about what this Kellen Moore justin Herbert marriage would look like. If you will, from afar, what's been your kind of evaluation of what Kellen Moore has brought to the table so far as offensive coordinator And we'll dive into the matchup here specifically for the Cowboys, but Kelly Moore in general, what's been your thought process there?
Speaker 4: Was the biggest noticeable thing so far through you know, a month and four games is the red zone efficiency, which you know was not a strong suit last year and in Dallas they were a top three red zone team. And I want to say the Charges right now are fifth in conversion rate to touchdowns. Off the top of my head, they're definitely top ten. They're up in that conversation, and like from a schematic standpoint. From a stylistic standpoint, I think he's scheming up more free releases, more bunch formations and stacks and different things to kind of enable players to get.
Speaker 5: A little bit of room to operate.
Speaker 4: I mean also helps in Keenan Allen just running you know, butt naked wide open on twenty dropacks in our own.
Speaker 5: In a game that always helps too.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, I think it really is just and you saw it with Dallas against San Francisco. I mean, the guys are just blanketed the entire time. It's a static offense. You're not hitting the ball, You're not getting the ball to playmakers in space with a full head of steam. And I think that's the biggest thing, is like getting the ball to playmakers on the move. I think we've seen more of that. I know everyone you know talks about Lombardi last year and all the various things, and you know, look throwing short. I think we are getting into a conversation of maybe Justin Herbert also needs to just trust himself to uncork it downfield more like we can't solely blame Joe Lombardi.
Speaker 5: But the big thing for me is their office was so static.
Speaker 4: It was all comeback routes and stick and curl and hitch, and it was just like like like these guys can run like getting the ball with a head of steam.
Speaker 5: And I think we've seen a lot more of that this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a surprise. And Steve and I will talk about the Cowboys specifically after this, but watching with Brandon Cooks, for example, I think more than anybody else on that team, you expect with the trade, and you know you're gonna bring in this guy and he's gonna have the explosive plays, and he's been that guy throughout his entire career. And I think he's on pace for like two hundred and forty eight yards this season. This is a guy who has every year he's healthy a thousand yards of thousand yards of a thousand yards. It's just, yeah, it's been very different. It's been a surprise. I think Cowboys fans were certainly surprised and maybe regretting being so harsh on Kellen Moore last year.
Speaker 4: I was convinced I fell for the trap. I was like, Michael carth is gonna be fine, He's not gonna be terrible, and look, it's early, of course, and you know, outside of yesterday's game, they basically in Arizona, they've had these game scripts where there's no reason to push the ball down the field the first three weeks they played. But but yeah, it did not look good against San France at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, we'll dive into some of this too. But like the Kellen Moore returns for me, have been so much fun to watch because you know, there's a plan each and every week. It's a different plan here, it's a different plan there. You're playing to your strengths. And that was kind of like the theme of training camp is like, we're going to take these guys that we have and we're going to allow them to play to their strengths. You know, we're not going to try and make Joshua Kelly into an outside zone edge runner because he's better in the middle. You know, we're not gonna make Mike Williams only play on the outside because you can also play in the slot. Obviously Mike is injured now, but we'll see what happens there. You mentioned this the like the wide receiver thing. I'm curious to get your thoughts here about the the Joshua Palmer Quinton Johnson dynamic because I think a lot of fans might be a little frustrated at the lack of usage for for Quinton Johnston, you know, and maybe you know there's there's some doubts about Joshua Palmer. What do you make of those two players right now and how they're being used and what josh what Justin Herbert is able to get out of those two.
Speaker 4: I don't understand the frustration, But I thought Quentin Johnson was an extremely raw prospect, you know, like didn't really run a very complex route tree, even like his releases. I think he was just a better athlete than most players he played against in college. Obviously a gifted like you know, physical talents, but not a lot of nuance on his routes. You don't see him like selling things or faking inside and going out, like all the little details that don't matter at TCU and matter a whole lot when when you're playing in the NFL.
Speaker 5: So I get it.
Speaker 4: I know you want to see him more. I know you want to see more targets that aren't behind the line of scrimmage. You know, we saw the highlights of tc of him going up and make contest and catches stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Josh Palmer.
Speaker 4: Look, the ceiling is not super high. We know who he is, but I think he's a very high floor, solid football player. You do go back to the issue of not having a lot of explosiveness, which in theory was kind of why you know you'd want to Quentin Johnston. But but yeah, I mean, look, I think that's maybe why you do add a speedster or something of that nature.
Speaker 5: I mean, terrace.
Speaker 4: Marshall's a good downfield target last year had like a ninety grade on past his ten plus yards downfield at one drop on like twenty five targets, Like, he's good. He's good downfield. But yeah, I understand the frustration, but I don't know, I kind of get why he's being brought along slowly, although maybe that maybe that changes out of his buy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely could regarding Marshall, there could definitely be something there. The Charges have obviously done trade with Carolina with trade Turner before, and then they have some connection there with Frank Reix, so that's potentially something there. What do you weigh then, like, how do you weigh the investment in a first round pick when it's a receiver, like it's a first round pick. You have a very cost controlled player for we're assuming maybe five years here. How do you weigh like waiting for what seems to be now with Quinton Johnson, maybe an entire year to get him to really be the guy in twenty twenty four versus finding someone with maybe a lower ceiling, but he's playing right now.
Speaker 4: It's philosophy for the draft and less so in the first round maybe to a degree, and of course less so if the context of your roster, which is my opinion again the window is justin Herbert's career, but there is a window right now with a lot of these players that are currently on the roster. But you know, I think it was smart to take him because Mike Williams and again like the injury aside, obviously feel bad for him, but I didn't know if Mike Williams or Keenan Allen was gonna be on the roster in twenty twenty four. I think Keenan Allen's probably playing his way into that being the case now, but you know, I don't know. If he dealt with Hammis for ten weeks again this season, I could see that not being the case, so knock, I wouldn't trying how drink drinks the guy. But but yeah, so I get it. I'm cool that I like the idea because I'm always a fan of you draft for the future, you draft and develop, and you want to in the first round in particular, you want to hit high upside guys that that could turn into you know, force multipliers and true difference makers, not just like good football players, you know.
Speaker 5: But I also get the argument, know the other the other way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we'll get you out of here. A couple more questions here. There's a lot of MVP talk happening already. A certain quarterback in San Francisco is is kind of the hot topic right now. But we'll focus focus is in on Justin Herbert. What do you think his MVP case is this year and what would really have to happen.
Speaker 1: For him to make a strong case for that kind of MVP kind of push down the stretch of this season.
Speaker 4: They probably could be a case or a narrative around if he has to get all these shootouts and throw their way to victory because you know, the defense is not playing not playing well and obviously now Austin Eckler has missed time. Josh Kelly didn't really make the most of that opportunity, you know, so like that would be the narrative. It is like he has to score thirty points to win every game. I mean the Minnesota game. I thought he was exceptional a couple of the games this season, like look, and I also love him just because he avoids turnovers. He also has a good pressure to sack right always does, always one of our highest credit quarterbacks against pressure, which is supposed to be a super unstable stat, and yet he keeps showing up high in the metric year after year, you know, good against the blitz, like all those things. So I think the contextual components of just a what he has to do to keep his team in games, but then be you know, we'd like to see more exposiveness, more touchdown throws, all that, but limiting the negatives is so important for this team right now, and he's as good as anyone at avoiding turnover worthy plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, gotta do that this week. I think the next two weeks for sure are narrative changing kind of players or at least pushing those things. With the Cowboys and the Chiefs. Got to ask you before we get out of here, what is your prediction for the Chargers this Monday against the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be a shootout. I know the total is at forty eight at open. I hopped on the over it's already at fifty one, I think. So I'm not trying to brag about my closing line value. It's probably a little, but no, I really, I really do think it's gonna be a shootout. It's interesting Dallas now for me, with the loss of Layton vander esh they already lost to Marbion Overshown before the season. Their linebacker core right now is scary. And then they're talking about already Micah Parsons now playing more off ball, which I get that, Like you're thin there, but okay, you're gonna take your best pass rusher, a top five pass rusher in the NFL, out of the defensive line.
Speaker 5: That's great, that's great news. The Charger probably lovely that line. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I think you can attack the middle of the field against this team really well.
Speaker 5: Right now.
Speaker 4: Look, I like their safeties, but all three of them I think are good players. But I think attacking this second level. Keenan Allen just feasting. You know, Josh Palmer as well. Though, getting Austin Ekler, it seems like he'll be back in the fold. I think he can make their second leveld defenders miss in space and rack up a ton of yards after the catch against his team.
Speaker 5: So that's what I love.
Speaker 4: But then, yeah, on the defensive side, this Cowboys offensive line has been awesome. I mean, you have a you have a healthy unit now across the board. Tyler Smith is our highest rated guard in the NFL. Tyron Smith. Whenever he's healthy, he's awesome, you know, and so on and so forth. So I really do think both teams are gonna score and it's gonna be a classic. Whoever is the ball last probably wins the game, you know, another heart attack for Chargers fans, like every Sunday.
Speaker 3: I didn't hear a score prediction in there.
Speaker 4: Though, score prediction. I will give you thirty one to twenty seven Chargers.
Speaker 2: Okay, cool, there we go. Love to see it. I love to see it. Brad really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: One of the one of our favorite interviews to do. Glad you were able to.
Speaker 2: Join us on the Charters official channel. So can't think enough for your time, appreciate all the great work that you do, and we hope the chat soon down the road.
Speaker 5: Shit you guys a toll, Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Again, shout out to Brad, one of the best in the business. If you're not following him, I strongly encourage you to go do that. Does great articles. Whether you're a financial nerd, whether you're a draft nerd, or just want to talk about football. Brad's a great follow does some some great work in the Chicago area as well for Bears fans whoever you know, if you know a Bears fan, sending Brad's way, Tyler. Any final thoughts about our discussion with Brad this morning before we jump into our planned.
Speaker 1: To show for the rest of the episode.
Speaker 3: Mostly just I still feel like I need a bit more time to figure out why the whole twenty eight point eight million dollars next year happened and if that was really in the best interest for them to do that. But again, like we talked about, it was more about the player exiting the team and being somewhere else than necessarily being a cap thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's certainly part part of it. And we saw some of this last year with the Jerry Tillery conversation. Obviously, Jerry Tillery was not you know, on a long term deal, he was on his rookie contract. But we've talked a lot about like the hope for the secondary is that now without all of this situation kind of you know, hovering over them, that things can kind of settle down. The roles are more defined, and Michael Davis talked about that today at the Chargers practice, you know, just being unsettled a little bit with where he's at with the rotation, who's starting, who's playing here, who's matching up there. Now things are all calmed down. Everybody knows what their role is, everybody knows what the expectations are going forward. So hopefully this Chargers' cornerback room can start playing like they did at the end of last season, and the Chargers defense in general would really benefit from that group, you know, starting to perform in expectations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really think that this is definitely not the focus of the episode today, but I really am hopeful that that situation being resolved and just having the buy because it's like you're are three, go do what you did last year is go be great, and I really think that they will be I don't know how much better, but I think they will be better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's just gonna be exciting to see, you know, like they have some positive matchups coming up from a like a cornerback receiver standpoint, and you know, hopefully that this group can really start to round into form in the secondary.
Speaker 1: And you know, Derworn James should be back.
Speaker 2: This week against the Cowboys and Alohi Gillman should be back this week too, So reinforcements coming for the Chargers defense coming off of their best performance against the Raiders. So hopefully the arrow is pointing up for this unit. All right, the focus of our group. We don't get to talk a whole lot about like coaching matchups on our podcast feed. It's a lot about individual player matchups and key statistics and things like that. But we couldn't possibly not talk about Chargers and Cowboys and not talk about Kellen Moore versus Mike McCarthy and how these two kind of matchups as respective offensive minds and what we're really seeing from these two units. Obviously, the Cowboys coming off of a pretty embarrassing loss at the hands of the San Francisco forty nine ers. So I do expect them to be highly motivated to, you know, have a positive response against the Chargers on Monday Night. But Tyler, when you look at how like the dialogue happened about, like the Cowboys are moving on from Kella Moore, he's coming to the Chargers. What's kind of your evaluation of where do we stand now after five weeks of the NFL season regarding these two coaches and how they're kind of working their offenses out.
Speaker 3: Where we stand now is thank you. I really appreciate the offensive coordinator. I would. I'm happy to have them, I'll say that much. You know, I think that sometimes you always hope for a grasses greener.
Speaker 1: And I get it.
Speaker 3: You know last year that the Cowboys maybe they hope to be certainly not in the postseason, and so they wanted to just do something else, find something different. You go get Brandon Cooks, here comes the explosive offense or whatever. You know, Kellen Moore. We heard from Cowboys fans all offseason. No, it's just Joe Lombardi two point zero. Well, I think looking through Dallas Cowboys and their stats so far, they got the Joe Lombardi experience so far with Mike McCarthy literally today from Mike McCarthy, a little quote from him, This is a This team is about defense, make no bones about it. You know, of course we want to score as many points as everybody, but we played to our defense. That's the strength of our team. And by doing that, the time of possession, taking care of the football, those are two things that I thought we're improvement from past years, et cetera, et cetera. Basically this offense that the head coach is suggesting that they're a defensive driven team and they're basically just going to be not turning the football over and sort of being conservative without coming out and saying it. And that is certainly the case. I mean, if you look anywhere. I talked about it when we're interviewing Brad. But Brandon Cooks was the guy you brought in to have explosive plays, and they're not getting him the football. They're targeting him, but they're not getting into him. And if they are, he's not really doing what he's really been known to. I mean, Brandon Cooks is a player six seasons over one thousand yards. Someone who's averaged, you know, almost fourteen yards per perception his entire career. It's at eight now. Like it is not what you would expect for some of the Brandon Cooks. And for some context, if you look at Joe Lombardi and like Jalen Geiden for example, even Jalen Guiden was at fourteen and a half yards per reception. So that is just not working right now. It is Dak Prescott's lowest big time throw rate of his career. I believe it is also his lowest turnover where they play rate, which is good, of course, but it's a very conservative offense. It is not one that wants to, as we've discussed the offseason, run up the scoreboard and put up tons of points. I mean he literally just said as much that they're looking to maybe just compliment their defense, which I sort of understand because the defense was towered as being so great and they have a lot of great players. But I mean, this is a very, very very conservative offense. And we're even right down to fourth down play calling or going forward to not going for it. I might be off by this, but just a little bit. But Brandon Staley is I think first or second in the league right now in terms of going for it when he should. So he's first in the league. Mike McCarthy second worst in the league in terms of you know, going now. Is that a good decision or not necessarily? I don't know. I don't know the results of how the Cowboys have done, but when the math says go for it, Mike McCarthy has been more conservative, So Prescott way more conservative. The offensive, We're all more conservative. They're moving down the drive the field efficiently, but they're not scoring in the red zone. I mean, they've dropped off dramatically. Is where we can start talking about Kellen Moore. You know, the one thing I wanted out of Kellen Moore for this offense. The number one stat I wanted to see with Kellen Moore coming over, you know, wasn't necessarily rushing yards per attempt or number of deep passes or a dot. It was red zone touchdown efficiency. I mean I really wanted, like that was a stat I wanted that the Cowboys had last year, and they were number one in the league at like seventy one percent or whatever it was, and the Chargers were eighteenth at fifty four and a half percent. You know, Kellen. With Kellen Moore, the Chargers are are thirteen percent better at all, almost sixty nine percent. They are right behind the San Francisco forty nine ers. Anytime you're around the San Francisco forty nine ers and the Kansas City Chiefs, you're doing something well. So the Chargers being yeah, that's pretty good. So fifth in the NFL is so great. Conversely, the Dallas Cowboys now have dropped almost thirty five percent to twenty eight in the league in red zone touchdown percentage. And look, that offense is all there. I mean, you got the quarterback, you added a receiver, I like your tight end in Ferguson. Your offensive line hasn't been healthy all year, but it's healthy now. I mean, and they've dropped thirty five percent. The Chargers are at almost sixty nine percent, and the Cowboys have fallen to thirty six point eight four percent. So they're really missing him, Kellen Moore. And it's not that they're a bad offense. They're efficient, but they're not explosive and they're not scoring in the red zone like the Chargers have been. So I think right now, in terms of what we looked at before the season to now, I'd say Cowboys fans are probably wishing they had Kellen Moore back. Granted, look, I know that Justin Herbert is the quarterback, so that does change some things. But sure, I think the Chargers got the better end of the other so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've talked about Kellen Moore specifically and how much we've loved what we've seen from like a game plan perspective, from a usage standpoint. For the most part, there's definitely some things that you can nitpick here. But you know, Brad's point about it being not static versus static, I think is a great one man, And that's something that I noticed watching the Cowboys on tape this week. I really genuinely felt like I was watching the twenty twenty two Chargers offense on tape again. You know, Michael Gallup and Brandon Cooks, you're on this side, you're on that side. You're gonna stay on that side, and ceedee, Lamb's in the slot and for seventy five percent of his routes and there's no motion, there's no creativity. It's a quick step, drop balls out, try and get the guys in space. But there's just no real motion, there's no real you know, creativity about this offense right now, you know, and that can work against some bad defenses, which was the case for the most part outside of the Jets in the first four games. But then when you play a team like the forty nine Ers, who is very capable of jumping routes, being physical, disrupting the timing, you end up getting the performance that the Cowboys had on offense this past week. And you know, you look at Dak's average time to throw and for the most out, if you take out the forty nine Ers game, it's like two point three seconds, which is like insanely high. Like Tua against the Chargers was like two point four and two point three seconds. That's like literally like I take the snap, I take my drop balls out like there's no reading, there's no processing, there's no motion, there's nothing. Ball is out in a hurry. And that's a lot of what the Chargers were trying to do last year. Granted some of that is due to injury, as we've talked about on our show, but there's just no there's no twenty twenty three offense in the Cowboys right now. It's all this like West host basic concepts and you know, we'll talk about this, you know throughout the Reek, right. But for the Chargers, the game plan is pretty simple for me, like you have to be physical, you have to press, you have to disrupt timing, and that's how you get the Cowboys out of their rhythm, because that's what the Cowboys want. They want rhythm and just get five six yards every single play, stay ahead of the chains and not be in these long, long down distance things. But it was really funny, man, like watching I watched three Cowboys games last night, and I really felt like I was just watching the Joe Loombardi offense all over again. And not that I didn't expect there to be some of that, but Mike McCarthy had some time away from the league. He was the head coach without being the play caller. I was expecting some changes from what you know. The offense was at the town of his Green Bay, and you hear all the complaints from Aaron Rodgers at that time. There's no motion, there's no there's no creativity. And now it's the same kind of stuff again with Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: So it's an.
Speaker 2: Really interesting dynamic here because Kellen Moore is taking advantage of his guys. There's different plans every single week. There's creative touches for Darius Davis. There's none of that going on in Dallas right now from what I can see on tape after watching three games last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Mike McCarthy is a long time coding this league and it has been with the Cowboys for several years now. Kellen Moore just got here and he's dialing up different things like whether it works or not. There are certainly a place we can go ad it didn't work or that really worked great, But whatever it is, it's different. Every week has been different, or it adds on to something that they did. The previous week we saw with that Darius Davis fourth down play, you know, that was something different against the Titans. The next week they tried something different. It didn't work against the Vikings, but it was different, like there is something being added. There's layers to this. And I'm glad you said it because I felt the same way watching them as in particular against the forty nine ers. Watching the whole game, Yeah, it really felt like Jordan Bardy's offense and not that you know, air yards is everything, right I think right below or right above the Cowboys and intended air yards is the Chiefs. And I'm not going to tell the Chiefs that they have a bad offense, but it's just not what I thought they were going to go for this year, especially after getting Brandon Cooks. I'm very surprised. And even with Brandon cook you talk about that time to throw, you know, there was that kind of that one like snap hike and then just like chuck it really quickly out of the end zone to Cooks. But it's really feels like watching them try to get it to Cooks, it's either a slant which works, or they try to get it to them down the field pretty quickly and there's not even really a route development, and I feel like it's very much just so you're faster, go like catch go throw it. And it's not working. And it clearly not working because his target to catch percentage throughout his career is twenty percent higher than it is right now in Dallas, like they are trying to maybe get him the football, but it's twenty percent lower right now, like it is, it is not working with Brandon Cooks. And again on pace for you know, two hundred and forty eight year yards. I think he I could be wrong. I think he had eight thousand, six hundred something yards going into this season and he still has eight thousand, six hundred something yards right now. Because he only has seventy three yards in five games. It's not at all what they were hoping for, I'm sure, and I don't think what anybody was expecting keeping Cowboys fans in terms of the usage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was some very concerning comments you brought up to Mike McCarthy one. But you know, this summer we heard from Corey Lindsley and Rashaun Slater talk about just like the lack of identity from the Charges offense last year and like how important was going to be for Kellen Moore to come into this season and establish a real identity on the ground and through the air with justin like there needs to be like a clear like calling card and Ceedee Lamb was asked about this yesterday and he was like, I don't know, and he like paused for like a really long time like he would like he looked at the reporter and like trying to think, like how honest he wanted to be and he was like, I don't know, and the reporter asked him, like, how do you fix that? He's like, I don't know. And then Jerry Jones on his radio show is asked about like getting ceeddlamb the football more often, and Jerry's like, no, we want to spread the ball around. It's like, well, please continue to do that. So it's just like I'm like, it's like Chargers twenty twenty two all over again, when I'm hearing the talk about the Cowboys, watching the Cowboys, and you know, all that being said, Brandon State Ofy's defense should be very well prepared to go up against this Cowboys offense because they practice against it for two years, and you know, like it's it's jokes, right, but it's true like this, this defense should be very well prepared for what they're going up against, and we talked about some of the reinforcements that they get back. This should be a positive spot for the Chargers defense and hopefully be able to continue that kind of momentum going forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think this is going to be a big you know, truly gets ten pressures in klueback gets six sacks, sort of racket just seems like the Cowboys are operating kind of like the Dolphins word where we're just getting out really quick. But I do think this is a great, great knock on wood, a great rebound game for the Chargers secondary because one, there's a lot of recognition of what's in front of them, which has kind of been difficult for them over the last few weeks. And two because like they're now gelling as a unit. This just this just feels like the Michael Davis gets his interception game. This feels like a Santai Samuel Junior having you know, let's have another three interception sort of game. Again, it's very conservative, so Dak isn't turning the ball over, but if you're just if that's kind of all you're doing, eventually someone like a Sandei Samuel Junior is going to key in on that and get the interception, and I honestly think he would this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, we heard Nick Naeman after the Minnesota game say that they saw like this one concept and they were waiting for it and ready for it, and eventually they get The Vikings got to it and Nick Neman made a great play on the football and then obviously kenth Mury came down with the interception, Like that's the kind of vibes that the Chargers defense should have this week. You know, we're seeing these kind of key concepts over and over again, and these are the kind of things that we're looking for. This is the static formation that they're running this out of, and they should be able to be aggressive, be physical, go make these plays and disrupt the timing. And there's a real opportunity for the Chargers defense to you know, establish themselves and you know, build that momentum going forward. Like you said, the Chargers pass rush I think is going to be in for a little bit more of a struggle this week. The Cowboys offensive line is fantastic and with the quick trigger from Dak, it's gonna be a bit of a struggle to get home. I'm definitely not expecting six sacks from klue back again, but you've got to find a way to disrupt the timing of the routes, disrupt the you know, rhythm of Dak, and if you do, then you can get home. And that's obviously what the forty nine Ers did obviously, you know against uh against the Cowboys on Sunday night, That's what allowed Fred Warner, Nick Bosa, all these guys to get home. Is their secondary was just disruptive, like at a really high level. And obviously the Niners defense, not the Chargers defense and everything like that, right, But the concept the path to victory for the Chargers defense is pretty simple this week. Disrupt timing, get Dak off of his out of his rhythm, and you know, create some havoc from a cover standpoint, and create some havoc from a pastro standpoint, and the Chargers defense should be in a good spot. I'm not expecting like a shutout. I'm not expecting like ten points, but I am I do think that the charge defense can make some plays and make life really difficult, you know, from a ceiling standpoint for the Cowboys offense.
Speaker 3: And that's really what I think it is too. It's not that they're gonna shut them down, but it's from that ceiling perspective, can you just limit them and they're gonna limit themselves? It sounds like too. So I don't think these are two very different philosophies. But I do think we're headed towards closer to that Dolphins game from last year, not just because of design, but because they have the same guys out there, although to have to ruin James this time, and because you know what do the Dolphins do this year, Well, they use a lot of motion to get guys open, and to get Tyreek Kill open against his Chargers defense, they learned this Cowboys defense or this offense excuse me, is not adjusting, and so I think if they continue to just be like that and be static and have no identity, yeah, then I think that the Charges defense is in for a much improved day against very good pass catchers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully it's it's just one of those like confidence building games for the defense and the team as a whole. Right, But kind of getting back to the Kellen Moore side of things here, you know, it's gonna be very interesting to see how he attacks this because I think the Cowboys defensive line for me, is probably the best in the league from a pass rushing standpoint, but the linebackers are injured and can be had when they were healthy. Deron Bland potentially not out there for this team. Obviously Trevon Diggs is not out there, so again there's an opportunity for the Chargers to create some explosive plays here, you know, move the ball with Austin Eckler. What do you make of specifically how Kellen Moore can you know, take his philosophy and match up with Dan Quinn in this pass rush for this week, Tyler.
Speaker 3: Yeah, lead into the play action game and leading to the downhill run game. I think these linebackers, if Yton vander Rush is out and it seems like he's going to be out for a number of weeks, and if Michael Parsons is not playing edge anymore, and then moving him to the linebacker, We'll see how that goes. Yeah, I think the play action game drawing those linebackers in and running down hill I think could help. I'm very curious how they go about blocking Michael Parsons in general, not just necessarily on the outside as an edge rusher, but they have him do like what we've seen with Tuley where they line up over the guard or attacking between the center and the guard or whatever, and that has definitely worked. I turned on the Giant's game. What did I see? Like the fourth play of the game, he lines up there, gets a sack. Watch the forty nine Ers game, gets a tackle for loss, gets a pressure or whatever it was. So how do they do that? And I was listening to Brandon Thorne's breakdown of the forty nine Ers versus the Cowboys game, and it was a big Spencer Burford game. Like the Spencer Berford their the forty nine Ers right guard. He did have a really really big game, and he did because of stuff like that. I'm very curious now what the what the Cowboys will do without Layton vander Rush too, because they don't blitz a ton. But if they did blitz, it was Layton vander Rush. I think he had thirty one pass rushes over the last five games, and everyone else combined, I think was like nineteen. So do you have another guy that can do that after already losing another guy at linebacker, and do you trust your secondary to hold up in those instances? I don't know. So I think play action would be great having those linebackers, the newer guys, the guys that are out there, you know, biting a bit. I think that'd be great for the team. Hopefully they can run it. Well. There was a graph, you know, Herbert, what's the EPA versus play action versus non play action? Good news is He's great at both, so it didn't really matter if it was non play action or play action, so you're good with either. But I'd love to see the charge of lead into that this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from a like specific scheme standpoint, like I don't know how much stock I really put into like the Cardinals being the Cowboys, but like you know, as like a you know, over arching theme or anything like that. But the charge the Cardinals, excuse me. Their offensive game plan was really really smart against the Cowboys, and the key thing that they did was was invite the Cowboys rush to get upfield and then with misdirection runs, RPOs, things like that zone read, they were able to take advantage of the Cowboys aggression. So there's this pin and pole concept, which is like my favorite run concept because it invites people upfield. You get the guards you know, and the tackles you know, rolling out in space. Everything's kind of walled off and if you if you execute it properly, you give your running back like three different cutback angles because it just gives it opens up so much space there. And they did this awesome thing where they ran pin and pole scored in the red zone. They ran pin and poll and got James Connor for like a twenty five yard run, and then they were doing pin and pole run pass option concepts out of it. It was incredible to watch Petzy Drew pets and in Arizona is doing some incredible stuff down there. And from a schematic standpoint, all of that is already built into what the charters have done. You know, they've ran pin and poll a bunch of times throughout the season, and it's been something that they've gone to in key moments against the Dolphins, against the Titans, not as much against the Vikings because it wasn't really there, but against the Raiders they ran it a couple of times. So there's a real opportunity for Kellen Moore to invite the aggression and then you know, expose him over the top or expose him out on the edge. And I think that's something that Kellen Moore has been kind of building up here, is are these concepts that can take advantage of these aggressive defenses. And then the Cowboys are one of the most aggressive defensive lines in the league because they're always trying to hunt the quarterback.
Speaker 1: That's what they do best.
Speaker 2: And so you've got to say Hey, we're gonna we're gonna invite you up and then we're gonna gas you behind you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please blitz Herbert whatever you gotta do or be aggressive. It seems like not only do the does Kellen Moore have some of the answers for those moments, but of course Justin Herbert does as well. I really really hope Austin Eckler is out there and very healthy and ready to go. I am concerned if he's not out there a ton in terms of pass protection. I believe Isaiah Spiller and joshuac Kelly have allowed thirteen pressures through three games, and well, scuse me, three games without Austin Eckler, and I think Eckler has allowed twenty pressures his entire career. So it's been very very different missing one like Austin Eckler. So I hope he's out there to be able to make up for this very aggressive defense of the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like he is expecting to play. I think he said a ninety nine percent chance, and he even went as far to tell ESPN Chris Rim that if there was a game last week that he would have he felt comfortable enough to play last week, but Chargers obviously on by so good things there. But I'm excited, man, from a coaching from a coaching matchup. You know, Kellen Moore against the Cowboys, I think was probably my favorite like coaching matchup of the season. And you know, he have this one circle and you have Michael Parsons versus Rashaan Slader circle, Like, this is a fun, fun matchup. I'm so glad that it's a primetime game on Monday Night Football, and I can't wait to see how it pans out. Obviously hoping for the charters to win, but just from like a coaching standpoint, I think this is gonna be a really great game to dive into and I'm glad we were able to do some of that today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about the matchups we're most looking forward to heading into the season. This is the one that I was looking forward to because this is the heavyweight match. I wish Corey Lindsley were healthy so it could just be best on best. But this offensive line, that defensive line, that's a heck of a matchup. You know, Rashaun Slater, Michael Parsons. I forget what list it was, but they had, you know, who was the best player from that class. I think Parsons was one, and I feel like that's rightfully so at least that makes sense to me. But Slater was left off that list entirely.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I think that this is a game where I mean, Trent Williams, Trent Williams is Trent Williams and he'll be Trent Williams until he's not. But Rashawn Slater is that next guy in line, and I can't wait to see how those two go at it. Unless Michael Parsons is playing off ball linebacker, in which case never mind. But I can't wait to see that matchup. That is an awesome matchup. This whole game has so many storelines and matchups. I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be a ton of fun Charters home game hopefully you know there's a good turnout as well. You know, I'm not looking forward to all the Cowboys fan narratives and things like that, but on paperman on the field, this game is gonna be electric. I cannot wait to watch it. Appreciate Brad Spielberger for joining us today again.
Speaker 1: Follow him.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best in the business. Appreciate Tyler for joining me. As always, a special shout out to Greg Kim for producing That's gonna do it for us today. Guys, we genuinely appreciate all the support and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: As always, Bolt up.