Speaker 1: This radio, mainstream media outlet of breakfast clubs. Break then come here when this day DJ Infy and Charlamagne the God.
Speaker 2: Being there next to all of you guys.
Speaker 3: It's really it's one.
Speaker 4: Of my favorite shows to do, just because y'all always keep it one honey, y'all keep it real.
Speaker 5: But what better place than than here?
Speaker 6: I think everybody should go on the breakfast club and start out.
Speaker 5: Y'all want to shake it up?
Speaker 7: Good morning Usa yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 5: Charlemagne the God, He's to the planet. Guess what day it is? Guess what day it is? That's right, it's Wednesday. Is home day is middle of the week.
Speaker 7: Now morning, another day to serve man, That is right? Come on, man, I feel blessed, black and highly favored. I feel a feel like I'm ready to be of service today.
Speaker 5: What's happening?
Speaker 8: Well, Jason Lee was supposed to join us today, but he had a scheduled conflict.
Speaker 5: I didn't know that what happened.
Speaker 8: I didn't know that to this morning yesterday. I guess his team, Uh scheduled something else and he couldn't make it. But you know, after the show yesterday said I'll be back tomorrow. But well he's a busy man, Yes he is.
Speaker 7: And you know that's why the breakfast Club a third seat is a rotating position at the moment, right, because you know, people be busy. I know that there's a lot of people that y'all like to see. He's sitting in the see. We always hear people say, you know, Jess Hilarius, just be busy. You hear people say, Claudia Jordan, Claudia's Claudiamen shooting something for a minute.
Speaker 5: I don't know what island somewhere right something? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: She says she's going to announce it soon, whatever it is, you know what I mean. But the fact that the matter is, folks be busy. They be busy, that's all, and tell they're not.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 7: This is our commitment from six am to ten am, that is right. And soon it'll be somebody else's commitment from six am to ten am. Correct who that person will be?
Speaker 9: We don't know.
Speaker 5: You believe me when I'm lying, Yes, when you're lying, believing or what he's telling.
Speaker 7: The truth, but it means already, no, do you know, are you lying? I just told you believe me when I'm lying, I'm lying, You're lying. Listen, no ever listen to me most of the time, because I'll just be lying. Okay, okay, but you should be listening to me when i'm lying, because when i'm lying, I'm probably telling the truth.
Speaker 5: But when i'm telling the truth, I'm probablying. But you'll never know because I'm lying facts or maybe not facts, because you could be lying whatever you wanted to do. All right, all right, Well did you see it me and TI Awards last night?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, I didn't.
Speaker 7: I watched the Rap I watched I was trying to watch the Rap City documentary though. That's what I was really really interested in, but I kept getting pulled in different directions around that time. But I want to really really sit down and watch the Rap City documentary because that is Rap City Documentary looked incredible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't. I didn't get a chance to see the Rap City Documentary. I kind of lived it.
Speaker 8: I think I DJ like five six, seven, eight times down there in the base kind of was there. I was, you know, I got this chance to see it, and that was all I had at that time when I was a kid growing up was watching Rap City and I got a chance to DJ several times, So it was pretty good.
Speaker 7: City is a cultural institution, and that's why I love documentaries because sometimes not sometimes all the times, those documentaries put cultural institutions in perspective. So even just watching what I saw some of last night, you know what I mean, it bought back a lot of different feelings and emotions, even watching all of the different hosts, because you know, there might be people that think of a certain host. Yes, but we grew up in the era we saw them all. We saw Chris Thomas and Mayor, we saw Joe Claire, we saw yeah, you know, we saw Madlins. Yeah, I mean we saw the Madlis was last one, Q four to five. Madlinks was last one, right, the last two last year.
Speaker 5: I think Jay Nicks did it for a little while. I remember, I remember that whole run. It's it's interesting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I can't wait to get home and really get into that RAHP City documentary.
Speaker 8: All right, Well, off Set will be joining us today, has an album that comes out this Friday, So we're gonna be kicking it with off set in a little bit. And also today is Cardy B's birthday, So happy birthday, body B.
Speaker 5: Let's look at that.
Speaker 7: Look at this sanchronicity in that. So what synchronicity? I don't even know if I use that word, right, I don't know, y'all know what I mean. I know what you said, it's gonna be here today and this body's born day.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 7: That actually means nothing, you know what I mean, but it means everything. All right, Well, let's let's start to show off with some body.
Speaker 8: It's a birthday, dammit, and we got front page news testing figure out be joining us to the breakfast cloak of Morning Morning. Everybody's DJ n V charlemagnea God. We are the breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news. Good morning, tis.
Speaker 10: Good morning, DJ and V Charlemagne the God and the breakfast club family.
Speaker 8: Before we jump right into it, I just want to tell people that flag football is being considered for the twenty twenty eight Olympic Games in Los Angeles, So they're gonna make flag football.
Speaker 5: They're thinking about making it an official sport.
Speaker 8: So I just want to tell people that, all right now, let's start right after what's going on with the Republicans.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 10: House Republicans wrapped up their candidate forum Tuesday night, where lawmakers heard from two current options to become Speaker of the House. As we know, Kevin McCarthy was OUs as Speaker of the House. So right now, the two candidates our Representative Jim Jordan and Steve Calise. The two men had an opportunity to pitch themselves to their party members ahead of a secret ballot vote that's scheduled for today, in an attempt to convince the Congress that they can gather two hundred and seventeen votes needed to win the gavel. It looks like neither one of them were able to convince folks that they had I guess the muscle to do it. So we'll see how that works out today. Now, former Speaker McCarthy, who as I mentioned, was moved from Speaker of the House. He has asked them not to nominate him as a Speaker, but some folks that they still will be voting for him, despite him even saying literally, do not nominate me because I know I won't win. But I guess a few folks you don't have a point to prove with that because they're still upset about McCarthy losing that position. When they asked what are the chances that the House would select a new speaker by Wednesday, Representative Thomas Macy said, I.
Speaker 3: Would say two percent.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 10: Meanwhile, House of Democrats did finish up their candidate forum last night in less than an hour, nominating their leader Hakeem Jeffries.
Speaker 7: Is whoever they put in that position going to have actual power? They is going to be another puppet life McCarthy.
Speaker 3: Was, Yeah, it just we're going to see. That's a great question.
Speaker 10: Charlemagne Matt Gates, who was really against McCarthy and you know, set that deal up in the beginning to oust him. He did say that whoever goes in this position, he will not ousk them. But you know, we'll see, we'll see. It's still right now, they still don't have any type of consensus with that, So it just depends on what deal they make.
Speaker 7: I feel like McCarthy was on ninety day probation since the first time he got that gig. It's like he was like he was under a probationary period since he started that job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was set up to fail right out the gate.
Speaker 10: You know, that's why I took them over fifteen rounds, you know, just to nominate him. So we knew that was just a matter of time. A lot of folks say that surprise he lasts even this long. But you know again, right now no speaker of the House. They need to vote on things like, you know, sending resources to Israel. A lot of stuff that still needs having on table.
Speaker 3: Don't forget.
Speaker 10: We're still in the middle of a temporary government shut down, so that needs to have a new vote on.
Speaker 3: That needs to happen in November.
Speaker 10: So a lot of stuff that Congress needs to do, and Republics need to get it together since they are the majority.
Speaker 8: All right, well that is front page news. Thanky cheszl see in a couple of minutes. Everybody else, get it off your lines. Working this morning, they are don't drink five. Somebody paid the bill yesterday eight hundred five eight five one oh five one. Get it off your chest. You want to vent you got some things you want to get off your chest. Call us up right now. It's the breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Good morning.
Speaker 1: The breakfast Club is your time to get it off your chest. Whether you're mad or black.
Speaker 5: Time to get up and get something. Call up now eight hundred and five eight five one five one. We want to hear from you on the breakfast club. Hello.
Speaker 3: Who's this?
Speaker 12: This is Kilani.
Speaker 5: Hey, Kalana, get it off your chest, Mama.
Speaker 13: I'm just so irritated this morning yesterday, I'm going to work and I get into a car accident. I call this dude who I've been messing with, you know, for a little while, to come help me, and he basically breaks up with him through touch message in that moment that I needed him.
Speaker 7: Dangn wow, he's been wanting to break up with you. What did you ask him to do? Just come pick you up.
Speaker 13: I just called him and I was like, oh my god, her dictats to an accident. It's like seven thirty in the morning right at that point, because I'm going to work, like my mom, I answered, I need you, I know you at work, blah blah blah. And he's like, Okay, get all the information or call me back. I'm like, okay, off of the pops whatever whatever. And I texted him let him know I'm home.
Speaker 7: Are you gonna come over?
Speaker 13: And he's just like, I think I need time to myself.
Speaker 7: I think you should respect that because he realized in that moment that he didn't want to be your emergency contact.
Speaker 5: He don't want the responsibility. He thought about it.
Speaker 7: He was like, damn, she got into a bad accident, and the first person she called then when she couldn't get in touch with her mama was me, I don't want that responsibility.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's kind of foul, mom. I'm sorry. How bad was the accident?
Speaker 13: My car is like so messed up, So I'll be taking lift or uber for like another week.
Speaker 14: They want like two thousand dollars to.
Speaker 6: Fix the front of the car.
Speaker 8: Or maybe he feels like he don't want you to ask him for money, or he don't want to drive you to work every day too.
Speaker 13: But I never that's the thing. I never asked him for money. I never asked him for anything. Like we just have like a cool car. Started off as cool worsness, so we just have like a cool relationship like that.
Speaker 5: I think you should be happy they just grew into something more. You should be happy that you dodged just bullet, you know what I mean.
Speaker 7: He's clearly showing that, you know, he doesn't he's not ready for what you might be ready for right now, So go enjoy the holidays.
Speaker 13: Sorry, it's still it's still hurts, you know, But thanks you guys for answering.
Speaker 9: I've been listening to y'all forever.
Speaker 7: Thank you, and listen, the fall just started. You still got time to find you a little a little boot for the fall.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna try, Okay, yep, what's up?
Speaker 15: Try?
Speaker 1: I'm doing a good listening.
Speaker 9: I heard one of the girls yesterday, but I heard she did it.
Speaker 5: Oh, Jacon Lee, he asked about you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he did somewhere lad up with somebody husband eating up all these snacks in the house where you at?
Speaker 5: Jason? Oh the way, Jason Lee, I didn't know Jason wasn't coming this morning.
Speaker 9: That's crazy that I y'all. If y'all wanted to be the celebrity they come a host this league.
Speaker 5: Y'all could have called me, jesus, what with you with Jason?
Speaker 7: What happened?
Speaker 5: What's the smoke for?
Speaker 7: I don't like me?
Speaker 9: He called him?
Speaker 5: Where they do that? Man?
Speaker 9: My name is trapp ak a twin. Miss Lee is letting you.
Speaker 5: Know what is the problem? Trapped? Why you just calling it? I don't get it. Why you call it it just being sassy with Jason Lee.
Speaker 9: Because Jason Lee is being sassy yesterday.
Speaker 5: I don't remember I missed it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he was asking about me. He's like, well, where that gay do that?
Speaker 5: First of all, it's not my name in America, I know.
Speaker 9: But he said where they gave you trash yep?
Speaker 5: Okay? But anyway, Oho, Eli.
Speaker 9: I'm calling to stand up for him today because Charlamagne, I don't like how you shooting him last week by saying he was on drinky fusy.
Speaker 14: You know what, I'm on Cole's Pole.
Speaker 3: Eli.
Speaker 5: We are connected. It's fine.
Speaker 14: I stand with you.
Speaker 9: If you're gonna be a stand for your favorite artist, stand for your favorite artist.
Speaker 7: You you should release Cole's Poll and Eli needs to release Drizzy's Glizzy.
Speaker 5: You know it's crazy.
Speaker 7: I think that all of these negative reactions that people are having the Drake's album, even though I think that it's unfair. I think these negative reactions they've gotten to Eli. He ain't been here all week.
Speaker 9: I think it's actually in New York.
Speaker 16: And listen to the album.
Speaker 9: The whole ride up there and the whole ride back.
Speaker 5: It's not as bad as the internet is making no, no.
Speaker 9: Not making this seam.
Speaker 5: It's really nice. Nor all right, san.
Speaker 8: Get it off your chest, but get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eight five one five one. If you need to vin, hit us up now. It's the Breakfast Love, good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Right right, ray, Yo, Charla man, Nancy?
Speaker 17: What up are we lying?
Speaker 5: This is your time to get it off your chest. I got an indoor pool. We want to hear from you on the break club.
Speaker 2: Get on the phone right now.
Speaker 11: He'll tell you what it is.
Speaker 5: Hello. Who's this yo?
Speaker 11: Yo?
Speaker 9: This market from Tampa.
Speaker 5: Flood markus from Tampa, Florida. What get it off each other? Brother?
Speaker 9: Hey, real quick, Charlie Mayne, you gotta take it easy on Flood of my bad. You always coming to us, but you never talk about the Bronx. You say the craziest keep the person in Florida in the Bronx. But I haven't heard you say anything about the Bronx in a good little minute. The signats always dedicated to us. What's going on?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 7: That's because Florida always outshines everybody when it comes to having the craziest stories. Like right now, I haven't even looked at my donkeys yet, But automatically I'm looking at some headlines. Florida woman skips one hundred and sixty dollars Walmart bill claimed security guard tried to hoghl at her. Florida man punched his pitch on custom man wheelchair McDonald's after heated argument. Florida man fatally stabbed brothers pow after nobody shared weed with him.
Speaker 5: What you want me to do?
Speaker 11: Man?
Speaker 5: What you want me to do?
Speaker 15: You want to know the answer to that.
Speaker 9: But everybody moved, all these all these people coming from different carts for the reason. This is the retirement state. I mean, we got no taxes. The weather's grade, it's a twil traction. Everybody started to coming here.
Speaker 7: Most of these people ain't never committed a crime till they get to Florida and they drink some of that guy damn Florida water, and they turn and then they turn in the gun play the by Marcus Marcus.
Speaker 5: Hello, who's this yo? This is Chris, Chris, Get off your chest, Chris. Hey, what's up?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 14: I just want to say, charlamae.
Speaker 5: Eighty four three, what's happening?
Speaker 14: I'm right here, my brother, Hey, I want to tell you man, I'm disappointed in you.
Speaker 17: Man.
Speaker 14: You are really cut. I feel like I hear all this break talk this week, you know, shout out the Ovo Eli, no forty tub, all them guys. But what about rod Wave. Y'all ain't say nothing about rod Wave when he dropped. Rock Wave went number one. You know what I'm saying, rock Waves selling out or right by himself, he headlining. But I don't hear nothing about road Wave. You absolutely right right say, I ran on Billboard now he's the second artist behind Taylor Swift to get number one consecutively twenty twenty one, twenty two, and twenty three.
Speaker 5: But they talked about you're absolutely right, Luthor, rod Waves.
Speaker 14: We gotta change that now.
Speaker 5: We gotta change You're doing it right now?
Speaker 7: When you right, you right though, Sluthor, Roadwave and that nostalgia album, road Wave definitely doing this thing.
Speaker 14: Yeah, y'all, y'all gotta start playing. I know that y'all got the system. Y'all play with what what? Y'all gotta play this and that, But at least talk about rod Man rock from Florida on Florida rether than Florida Man at South.
Speaker 1: But Charlotte Mane.
Speaker 14: I I just depend the most from you from the South.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right.
Speaker 7: That's right, Blaby Charlotte, Rocky road Wave and Nick Grant dropped a real great project.
Speaker 5: We should be playing.
Speaker 7: Uh we should give fight to Feeling some spins on the radio that's off the Nostalgia album.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you that you're wrong. All right, Well, get it off your chest. Eight hundred five eighty five one on five one. If you need to vent, you can hit us up. We got your rumors.
Speaker 8: When we come back, we got to talk to b E T Awards to BT hip Hop Awards were on last night. If you missed it, well we'll fill you in. Who performed, who won, what and all that. So don't go anywhere. It's the Breakfast Club on be Et, the breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Morning everybody. It's TJ V. Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk to be Et hip Hop Awards of names or you've gossip? Is the rumor report?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: This is where the tea.
Speaker 8: Spells right right now, last night, of course, was the twenty twenty three b E T Hip Hop Awards, hosted by Fact Joe.
Speaker 5: Slew to Joe Crack dropping the Clues Box with Joe Kredak. Now.
Speaker 8: The show started off with the Baby. The Baby started off with a lot of energy. We actually seen that because we were there, and the baby killed it. We thought the rehearsals, well, I seen it because I was Remember I came out and actually seen it. Oh you stayed stay for a little bit. Yeah, oh okay, yeah, stay for a little bit. I actually seen the baby perform and and yeah, he killed it. He also bought brought out Sexy Red. He brought out Manny Fresh and Juve Now.
Speaker 7: So I can't wait until Sexy Red hits the stage and does uh does Rich Baby Daddy off that Drake album Rich Baby's song Hard, I don't care what y'all.
Speaker 8: I told you're gonna get that song now also, which was pretty dope. Jermaine Dupree. They celebrated the thirtieth anniversary of So So Deaf.
Speaker 11: So Uh.
Speaker 5: Jermaine dupre brought out a bunch of artists.
Speaker 7: Sure.
Speaker 8: He started with welcome to Atlanta, right, you know? He started off with Jump. So he actually produced Jump on the on the machine. No, no, he actually did it live. He did it live, and then he started off with Jump. He did the first verse and then he brought out Ludacris to Welcome to Atlanta.
Speaker 7: Okay, y'all be playing with j D? Did he gonna catch hell with JD? In he verses, I don't care what y'all say. Also, I ain't saying that JD will beat wash Diddy in any way shape before I'm Jermaine Dupree is some pushover, that's right, Okay.
Speaker 8: He also brought out Little John, he brought out Nelly, he brought out Chingy, and he brought out the Brat.
Speaker 5: The Brad has so much energy. She killed you know. She recently had a baby too. So that was dope.
Speaker 7: And that's just JD's hip hop bag, you know what I'm saying. The R and B bag is where it really gets spicy.
Speaker 8: He also brought out bow Wow, which was good to hear. It seems like they're not beefing because bow Wow came out.
Speaker 5: I rapped the bow Wow.
Speaker 7: I'm glad he's coming to his senses on that because the reality is, you know, bow Wow's legacy is forever tied to Jermaine because period, of course, what I'm.
Speaker 5: Saying is nothing bow Wow can do to shake that, you know what I mean. Jermaine Dupree is the.
Speaker 8: Reason that we know the bow Wow that we knew that's right, and I mean and like I said, bone Crusher came out, and also the franchise boys.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 8: And then also of course everybody always talks about the ciphers, So the ciphers.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: They split it into three different ciphers, one cipher with Timberland, one cipher with Swiss Beats.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: So let's just go through some of the ciphers.
Speaker 8: Simba was part of Swiss Beats cipher where Swiss Beats they wrapped over Swiss Beach produced records.
Speaker 7: Dropping the clue the bonds for Symbol super lyricists top tier MC. We don't just use that term m C lightly. You know, there's a lot of rappers out there, not too many mcs. Symbol is a super MC and a great human.
Speaker 8: Cassidy also was in the sighther on Swiss BEA's side, and he killed it as well. I also got to go to the o G. He was rapping on Timberland side the og bun b body.
Speaker 5: I need every single one of you young and to know, with the exception of symbol.
Speaker 7: Bun be bodied you all, clums with the og body, he bodied you all.
Speaker 8: We got two more clips. And also the Mexican Ot killed it as well.
Speaker 7: Okay, I forgot to add mexican Ot to that list of people who b didn't body. Okay, Mexicano T hard dropping the clues bombs for Mexicano T. I don't know the guy who just knows music, He's dope. And last, let's got the awards. Man ain't no awards giving out.
Speaker 5: He was talk about some of the performances.
Speaker 8: Last, and also we got to talk about Marlly more mally Moore, a legendary producer in DJ from Queens. He produced for everybody from Big Eie to UH. He did a Roundaway Girl for LL cool J. He got the IM Hip Hop Award.
Speaker 18: This started out as a dream in forty one seventeen, Vernon Boulevard, Long Island City, Queensbridge. My window faced Manhattan, so that's all I could look at and wonder what's happening in them lights over there? So I want to be there I had some people inspire me in my life. I mentioned them in the bridge. It was t Tom, Jappie Jack, Larry Lad and Gas. But they wasn't the ones that put me on when I got with mister Magic. Through mister Doctor, Bob Lee Shahin's father and my building brought me to mister Magic and we changed the world.
Speaker 5: Being the first rap show on the radio.
Speaker 18: Back in New York and w BLS, I was the first hip hop DJ to rock live on the radio. And then I brought sample into hip hop. That changed my world.
Speaker 5: Luth Molly Ma.
Speaker 7: We probably wouldn't be here without them, No, mister Magic, they laid the foundation for hip hop radio.
Speaker 5: That is a fact.
Speaker 8: And then for some of the award winners hip Hop Artists of the Year, congratulations to Kendrick Lamar he won that debate hip Hop Album of the Year. Drake and twenty one Savage won that.
Speaker 5: I don't really have any debate about that.
Speaker 8: Who's in the category, uh, Megan thee Stallion, Little Uzzi Vert, Jack Harlow, Metro Booming, Calick Coiler Ray.
Speaker 5: Oh Yeah, Drinking twenty one Little Uzzi Vert one Song of the Year.
Speaker 8: I want to rock yep. And Best hip Hop Platform Karrisha Please.
Speaker 7: We gotta stop sleuthor Karesha, love Young Miami to death, but come on now. Two years in a row, yes, but last year she tied with Drink Champs. I got mad love for Karesha, But you got platforms that come out daily, and you got platforms that come out weekly, you know, like the million dollars work for Games and the Drink Champs. You know, Joe Budden like, come on now, come on, I love Karesha please, but was that sponsored by Daily On?
Speaker 5: I don't know what Daily On the sponsor of the BT hip Hop A watch I don't know. And also last Salt Spice, salute to you, Crease dropping the clues bombs, Creese, love her, love what she does, but two years in a row, come on now and salute to Ice Spice.
Speaker 8: This was the only award I've seen, Actually, she won our Best Breakthrough hip Hop Artist.
Speaker 7: That's the only award that I seen last night, and she wasn't there for it. But congratulations to Ice Spice and that if Kreesia Please did come out weekly, I wouldn't have no problem with it, you know what I'm saying, because it is that good when she drops, right, but I just don't see enough of it for her to win hip Hop Platform of the Year two years in a row. Last year she tied with drink Chin Right, so I asked again, what daily are the sponsor of the BT.
Speaker 5: Hip Hop Awards. When we come back, we got front page.
Speaker 7: Clearly it's not rigged because the Breakfast Club would have won on BT IS Right now, maybe Teslian figure out has front page dues when we come back and OFFSET will be joining us.
Speaker 19: It's the Breakfast local boarding the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same morning.
Speaker 8: Everybody's DJ NV, Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Now let's get in some front page news.
Speaker 17: What up tis going on?
Speaker 3: DJ and Charlemagne the God?
Speaker 8: He said, Now let's talk about the brother Hughes van Ellis, Uncle Red yep.
Speaker 10: Uncle Red, one of the last known survivors of the Tulsa Race massacre, has passed away.
Speaker 3: At one hundred and two. I know I live one hundred and two years.
Speaker 10: That's a blessing. His grand nephew, Ike Coward, said that he died waiting on justice. Now nineteen twenty one, Ellis was just a few months old when the Tulsa then thrived in Greenwood District known as Black Wall Street was destroyed by a white mob during a massacre that left an estimated three hundred black people dead and businesses.
Speaker 3: And homes burned to the ground.
Speaker 10: Ellis and his loved ones were forced to leave behind their home in a lifetime of opportunities. Mister Ellis said earlier this year that he lost one hundred and two years and he didn't want anybody else to lose that. Here's what he said on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 7: Uncle Red, do you have real hope and faith that the US government will ever compensate you for what happened?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Black was Street? Really, Yeah, you've been. You've been. You've been a lot way longer than me. So why do you believe in the white man? But I don't. I believe it's some good people and bad people.
Speaker 15: World War Two, he was in Burma also all Black Battalion, all shot down enemy aircraft. They were thought to be all killed, but most of his troops survived because they were fighting for their life. How many times are you bombed?
Speaker 5: Uncle Red?
Speaker 4: I bumbed Price Boom when I was five months old. Bomb when I was twenty something years old. I didn't think it ever happened in my life, but it did. I'm glad I survived all of that.
Speaker 7: I'm in a survival man salute to Uncle Reds lived a long, beautiful life. And it's a damn shame America never gave that brother any of the other social race massac and survivals justice. And it was a privilege and honor to have him in Queen by OLDA. Fletcher on Breakfast Club earlier this year. That was just a few months ago. Think you hear his brother still sitting here, still having faith in this government to do the right things right.
Speaker 5: So you know his uh, he said, his nephew, his grandchils, his nephew, his.
Speaker 7: Nephew is absolutely right, like you know, clearly he died, you know, still holding out for justice, that's right.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 10: And Miss Fletcher and Miss Randall are still alive. Miss Fletcher's one hundred and nine, Miss Randall's one o eight. Those are the last two known survivors of the nineteen twenty one Toasts of Race mask And again you know they have been like you mentioned, all three of them have been fighting for reparations.
Speaker 6: For destruction, and this is you know, in case that people always you know, you can't dispute.
Speaker 3: This because they literally were alive at the time.
Speaker 10: You know, when you have the conversation about reparations, say, oh, you know what, those people have passed away, they're no longer here. No, they literally are still alive at the time and still fighting for reparations.
Speaker 3: So yeah, certainly I have a theory and.
Speaker 5: This is just my dirt road country logic kicking in.
Speaker 7: When I have a theory that God let those three toasa race, those tults, a race mask and survivors Queen by Olda Fletcher and Leslie Rando and Uncle Red be here all of this time to continue to give America the chance to do this opportunity to do what's right, you know what, I mean, to fix some of the karma, the negative karma that they put out the end of the world.
Speaker 5: And they still haven't figured it out. They still haven't done it.
Speaker 7: These people have been here for almost one hundred and ten years, that's right, and they still ain't.
Speaker 5: Done right by them.
Speaker 7: And that's why no good gonna come to this country until they do right by people like the survivors of the Tulsa Race Mass.
Speaker 5: That's right, well, thank you Tis.
Speaker 7: Make sure you subscribe to Testling Figureos podcast this great shot, No chase of podcasts on the Black Effect. iHeart radio podcast network and follow at Testlin figure On on all social media platform.
Speaker 8: All right now when we come back, Offset will be joining us as new album comes out this Friday, So we're gonna kick it with off sets.
Speaker 5: It don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club owing everybody. It's DJ NV scholaminea god. We have a special guest in the building. This album comes out this Friday. Ladies and gentlemen, off set certain welcome back, bro. But how are you feeling, man? How's everything? I feel good man, blessed man. I'm in a good spirit and the good spirit it's up.
Speaker 8: So now the second album is a sophomore album. Set it off Why it takes so long? The first thing people would say, it's been it's been a while.
Speaker 20: Why too so long? A lot of things you know, lost with my brother. It's the main reason I was gonna drop last year. I think around March I got out of a creative space, like after that four minute I had to sit down for a minute and like help my mama and pray and get get get myself together. Also, I just wanted to prefer the craft. I didn't want to. I want to make sure that I that I that I dropped in it and it counted, especially like coming out of the group and stuff like that. I wanted to make sure everything was a line. I didn't want no record sounding the same. I didn't want me sounding the same, just being hard on myself, scheeking myself on the music.
Speaker 7: Now with your brother Kuavo And we've seen you guys before with deal Ward Show, right, what was that initial call like when when they called you guys and asked you guys to do it.
Speaker 5: I was in Paris doing fashion week and they called and I wasn't like.
Speaker 20: I was like, I wasn't sure at the time because it was like, you know, it's running away from the reality, you know what I'm saying, you know.
Speaker 5: And I had talked to for Real. We were sitting at the.
Speaker 20: Show and I was telling him like, man, I don't know if I should do it because it just ain't gonna be right, and I feel like I'm scared it's gonna put me back in that moment, and he was like, no, you gotta do that for the world and for him like in y'all lazy man, y'all in the biggest group ever in hip hop, and also like he would want there, bro, He was like, you need you need that energy, you and your brother rocking their stage again, even if it's for the last time or whatever, like and this is that words like even just for the last time whatever.
Speaker 21: He don't really know what was going on, but it's gonna be a cleanser for both of y'all.
Speaker 17: What was it was?
Speaker 5: I swear it was.
Speaker 11: It was?
Speaker 17: It was?
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 20: It felt like at first, before I did it, I was still like because it reminds, you know, it's a reminder, and but as we did it, I just felt like I did feel good about it, like closing chapter on the right way, like a big way unity and like giving to the people.
Speaker 5: Also, what was it like before that?
Speaker 7: Because I know that everybody talks about I guess y'all got into something backstage somewhere. It was a video where everybody heard Cardi yelling like y'all both wrong? So what was it like before that moment? H before what before before y'all got on stage like oh no, we were together.
Speaker 20: Man, like payd swallow, Like yeah, bro, missing all of that out the window. You know what I'm saying. It's like family of everything. Let's do this right more than anything, because when you go into something with the wrong energy, you ain't gonna do it right.
Speaker 21: You know what I'm saying. Went into it with the right energy. And that's my brother.
Speaker 5: So what's your relationship now with Quabo? That's my brother. At the end of the day, we're good, bro.
Speaker 20: Just with each other in Paris, we'd be talking because we'd be going through little emotions and it don't be for the public. That's the thing, Like, when it's like this, it don't be. Everything ain't for the public to be king and it's all love. At the end of the day, we lost a brother.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 7: They want to see y'all cry on Instagram, Yes that they want, you know, not gonna get it for me. You think y'all ever make music together, not even just as Migos, but just as set.
Speaker 5: In Qubo, I think so.
Speaker 8: I think a lot of fans were hoping that there was maybe lost Takeoff Versus or lost Migos records and that they would get that one More Migos album, But that doesn't seem like that's gonna happen.
Speaker 16: Nah.
Speaker 20: They ain't fair to put that pressure on us either after losing brother Man. Like maybe you know what I'm saying, the future right now, I.
Speaker 5: Just don't see it.
Speaker 21: It's like hard me hearing our songs sometimes in the club bro and people I might like, got to.
Speaker 20: Smile my face. Take verse come on, like text me every single time. So it's like, I don't see what's doing it now.
Speaker 7: I can imagine because to us it's just a verse. But to you, it's like you probably think about the moment.
Speaker 20: They put me in that bed every time. I was just in Starts the other night and they're playing Freak No More. His verse come on, I'm like throwing money his verse come on.
Speaker 5: It's just like slowed me up real quick. So now, what's the difference between this album? Set it off Your Father for.
Speaker 20: Okay, Father Foe was like I feel like I was getting more personal about who I was, my story of going to jail, having kids young, the story of my wife, my little to my wife. I'm just saying with this album, it's more like the music wise, it's like more fun.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I did all the new producers, so.
Speaker 20: I didn't really self a metroside side, I ain't really work with all the producers I work with on this.
Speaker 5: It's like new producers I never worked.
Speaker 20: With because I didn't want to create the same sign because I feel like artists now, like as an artist sometimes like you just get stuck in your ways. And I let a lot of I worked with a an artists time, like I know a lot of people in our game. But the g my an I was fired, so she was able to bring me different producers that I never heard of and different sounds and give me critiquing me on the music, like nah, number one, SOIGN may sound like number ten for me.
Speaker 5: I was happy because like usually I ain't going for that.
Speaker 20: You know, I ain't let nobody to tell me nothing, but I understand, like change the game, change the sound be changing, and you just gotta change with it or you're gonna get left.
Speaker 8: Is it difficult with you doing music right because you are a husband, your father five But yet you're still in the club, so you know what people want to hear.
Speaker 5: You know people in the club ain't married. You know, the people might not have some kids.
Speaker 8: So when you do your music, do you say, well, I gotta put myself in near situation and take myself out from the husband and take myself out being the father fire because you didn't on this out you don knocked off a lot of a lot of chicks on this app.
Speaker 5: I'm all these women and you're married, man, because I got a real wife like that.
Speaker 20: She understands like we and I gotta be relatable and especially like our age, like the average person ain't married and like people sometimes.
Speaker 5: People I can see it, like you let your wife dress like this, and you let her.
Speaker 20: I'm very secure by mind, so so we ain't in no controling, like don't do this or I'm not telling her don't do a feature with that. Da da da da, because it's just like this, this, this, they're interrupt to love. I feel like when you go to doing that, because then it's like, damn, I want.
Speaker 5: To be this person.
Speaker 20: I gotta talk to all these people, all these fans, and they gotta relate to me, but they can't relate to me if I'm standing in one lane.
Speaker 5: So I'm just blessed to have a good wife.
Speaker 7: What about the people who those same kids that love your personal life. They love you and Cardi together as a couple, and they follow y'all on social media and see all of that, and they like, damn, they might want to hear that reflected in the music, because I know people got really excited when they heard y'all doing the album together yeah or EP or whatever it was.
Speaker 20: They can't get mad at me because I'm not gonna tell her life. You can't say shaking yeah, or like you're having a good time. Girls want to feel that at them, bar she be saying.
Speaker 8: But I guess you know too when Cardy talks about that. I guess we all automatically assume when she says she's shaking ass, shaking asks for a husband, you know what I mean, it's like she's doing it for set. But you know what I mean, for you When I heard I knock it off them like, oh, he's putting his mind frame on somebody that's in the club, not himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I got to bro because it's like it's more up bros doing that.
Speaker 20: Then there's people that's man facts, These are facts, and these are facts. So I just still gotta be relatable to him. They gotta still feel like a shit ain't on the like shit I got man, we don't even understand him no more, and then it's the worst.
Speaker 5: Then it's no coming back from that. We got more with Offset. When we come back, don't move. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 8: Good morning Wanning everybody, It's DJ n V. Charlamage, the guy we are the Breakfast Club was too kicking it with Offset.
Speaker 5: His album is out this Friday. Charlamagne.
Speaker 7: For the first song on the album, you said you knew you was the one since you left the group? I think that was the other line.
Speaker 5: What did that line mean?
Speaker 4: You?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 5: How you know about that bar? Like you know, I went through some things I can't really speak on.
Speaker 20: I stepped out of the BOS and like I had to get my together on the business side of things, and like after that.
Speaker 21: The freedom and the being able to be in control of my creative and being able to.
Speaker 20: Do that was like now I can show you who I am if you notice, Like now people kind of see like I got a personality.
Speaker 5: I feel like it was kind of like.
Speaker 20: Bottled in when everything was always one because it wasn't really about me, it was about us.
Speaker 5: This album is about me. How important was hip hop rolling up to you because I know you got roots in New York.
Speaker 8: I know you got roots in the land. I know you got roots a little bit of everywhere. I'd be seeing set with people up be like, how do you know him?
Speaker 17: Man?
Speaker 8: Like, so you know, talk about your roots and what hip hop means to you, because you sample a lot of that on this album.
Speaker 20: Hip hop man mean to me, like man, growing up is like the super heroes. You know what I'm saying to me because I felt like it was so out of reach. And also I felt like they was like saying the world with the music and like, you know, seeing like cash Money master P. Because I'm from the South hundred to thought like like outcasts. You know, we from Atlanta, so we might not ain't listen to it. I might ain't get on jay Z Towns in high school. You fe what I'm saying, I might ain't knowing. I'm through middle school.
Speaker 5: I knew Gua.
Speaker 20: I knew Gucca and I knew Jzy, I knew the undred two thousand, A New Future. It's like our neighborhood heroes. And like me, I feel like in general, with music, you gotta know your roots and pay respect to it too, Like I watched the James Browns. I'd be watching like how they would dress or how they stay set would be. Or sometimes I go watch a rock and roll like Martley coul or something, I go watch them stay stay set to get it like a like a like an idea even on stage and like cause I.
Speaker 5: Feel like you, it always rotate, but you could just do it better in a better way.
Speaker 7: But one of the things you say throughout the album is you keep referencing blame it on set. That's a dope record too, by the way, to blame it on set record. What are some of the things you think folks blames you.
Speaker 20: No, it's not like the people blame me for It's like it's like it's like me talking to myself almost, like everything you went through is because of you. It's like taking responsibility of everything you went through.
Speaker 5: It's because of you.
Speaker 21: Like anytime anything happens, it's on you.
Speaker 5: That's all it was.
Speaker 21: It wasn't like a specific like y'all blaming me.
Speaker 5: No, it was just like being a man, being a man.
Speaker 21: Yeah, accountability, like accountability for all actions.
Speaker 8: People were mad at you a couple of weeks ago because you did that interview what's the name, Bobby?
Speaker 5: I felt like there was.
Speaker 8: That you even gave her an opportunity to interview you, you know what I mean. You know people were saying, well, why would you give that girl an opportunity and not somebody from the culture reached out. I did my research and I was like, I'm over to do it because you know, I don't like doing interviews at all. I was like, I'm over to doing it. I'm on the way, and I feel like it was kind of comical, like it's kind of funny. It's kind of funny to me. It wasn't like I wasn't taking that offensive. Just got to be on your toes when you don't on it. You know, she needed to be ye, yeah, she was.
Speaker 5: She needed that, you know what I'm saying. And also like, I'm doing this for the brothers.
Speaker 20: You ain't gonna catch me slipping on this show and be down talk to me and you like you're just coming up off to the top.
Speaker 5: It's all love though, but she she cool.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 5: I feel like a lot of people did take a lot of comedy out of it. It was it was supposed to be funny. Man. You told her she needed some season.
Speaker 21: Yeah, you do's a little good season.
Speaker 20: But it's cool though. Man, it ain't no issues or nothing. But I feel like a lot of people's matter her like but that's how she did the interviews. I think I brought it to our world more. It's like a lot of people like, why does she It was kind of taking it as like she was being disproved, but she wasn't. She just just I think that's the way she got on.
Speaker 5: You know, I hear I hear you channel a lot in this out. Might hear a lot of Project Pack? Yeah? Were you? Were you listening to a lot of Pack three shid some Project Pack? Yeah? Man, they That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 20: It's like the underground music and to come to and then they went underground and went big shot of juicy j Man here a player, good producer.
Speaker 5: He ain't text me on the record at oh he did production on it. You get certain you gotta talk to you today by the production sir.
Speaker 17: Oh.
Speaker 5: So when you're just using that, you gotta think the South on jealousy is juice to Jay? Yes, absolutely, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 20: Yeah, So, and then it's the South music man It's just always something about the South music to me, even.
Speaker 21: Growing up, just always felt like we was just relatable to my neighborhood.
Speaker 7: Frown absolutely we had we had Cardio up here and we were talking about, uh, your marriage and everything, and she was like, sometimes it's difficult not to keep things off social right, like the one time y'all always argue on social media.
Speaker 5: I never just say, you know what, let's I'm gonna put the phone down and call her. She's crazy. Man, you crazy too?
Speaker 7: You knew what you married a woman from the Bronx. The craziest people in America come from the Bronx and all the Flora said, you got to know that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've learned it. I learned it.
Speaker 20: So it's just like, man, I hate fan based man sometimes be like trying to like kill it. So then sometimes you gotta like I feel like I gotta protect her. You know what I'm saying. I made mistakes, you know what I'm saying. So those mistakes make me continue to have to protect her. I said, Man, they don't just go away, So like I just hate that because it's like we'll be good, bro, living a life like Scholden.
Speaker 21: We got beautiful kids. We don't bother nobody, but you know how I be whack.
Speaker 5: Though, But what about when you when you posted that your wife cheated, called the turmoil in the house. I was calming her ass down. I don't play with me. But then the next day they hold my hands together. It was everybody know. It was kind of man.
Speaker 11: She was like that.
Speaker 5: She was like he was playing.
Speaker 20: He was lying sometimes go in too much on me, man like, and it makes so we I didn't want people to think like people thinking it it's real.
Speaker 5: So it was just a little on a reverse on no car. She said you said if you don't stop you on line and said you cheated.
Speaker 20: Yeah, because that's the thing she gotta make. She got like she's still somebody too. So like when they be doing that, like it'd be like making her seem like she would suck us.
Speaker 5: And then she got her.
Speaker 20: But then this time she did she kind of a life. I'm like, oh slowed her down town baby, Oh no, like to blow up the whole.
Speaker 5: We're all going we are going down fire folks, real, but we.
Speaker 7: Turn that in the front though, is strong man crassious? Why didn't play Boy CARDI clear the song for them? That's the room online.
Speaker 5: Is that true? Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 20: Shout out to my boy man, because I don't get into it with my music and sometimes people be going through they on you know what I'm saying. Shout out of the bro though, man, he should have cleared up smashed though. I ain't okay, but we like that. I don't get mad at folks for like that because sometimes people going through their only or they might not.
Speaker 5: I don't know. It's all loved us, my little brother. All right, we got more with Offset when we come back. Don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning. Everybody is the j n V.
Speaker 8: Charlamage, the guy we are the Breakfast Club was still kicking it with Offset.
Speaker 5: His album is out this Friday, Charlomagne.
Speaker 7: Now, did authorities contact you after Nicki Minaj has been made those stretch against you?
Speaker 20: That was another room man, Hell no, okay, ain't never calling me. Okay, I ain't got knowing for you.
Speaker 5: They were saying they reached out to see if you wanted the pressure. Man, Please, I never do no lame as like that. Keep it on the screen.
Speaker 20: All this joke grown a man. I don't even bring it up. I don't want people like but I just laughing. I got real money. I'm having real business. I'm on the way to the coach, prime man on the on the on the jet. Like I'm thirty years old, bro, Like I'm grown to sell and I'm just too old participated like a little DM you had seen was because I'm a grown man. Also like I'm saying it's a respect thing, brother, But you thurning my wife. Bro, I'm not playing those games. I hate with men say anything about my wife, cause it's like, but you a man, don't speak on my wife. Bro, I don't care how people think, like, oh, why you white white man, this is my wife, mother of my kids. Man me and disrespecting wife. I see you ain't playing by yours. Yeah you want you want to box the mouth, I'm gonna get on your Yeah.
Speaker 5: We're gonna make yeah, box your mouth.
Speaker 20: All that planing, the twitter, all the trying to cause your toes and kick your feet or all that.
Speaker 5: Yeah that was.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 5: We had Cardia up here.
Speaker 8: She you know, she talked about how much she supports you and was you know, riding for you, loving your music, and now let me ask you a question. No, we're gonna get a CARDI get second Cardio album many times soon, man, she said.
Speaker 5: I thought that's all I'm announcing reasonly. No, she ain't nothing. She said, the first quarter had twenty twenty four. Is it done? We almost there were almost there. But there's there's rumors that y'all was working on the joint album together too.
Speaker 17: Though.
Speaker 7: Yeah, after hers, you think that would be that would be the album. Like the way you just expressed love for your wife and you know why you decided to be with her. You think we'll get that in music on that project for sure. Okay, then the tour, then the tour. Oh, y'all definitely having another baby after the tour. That's definitely happening, she said.
Speaker 5: She said she wanted more, right, she said, she was saying, or say that up here, man, you don't want no more? Father six? Let me be up college? Expensive?
Speaker 10: What I know?
Speaker 5: Father six? Next album? I mean you got six?
Speaker 7: I'm done, done, done, I got fullble, I'm done. I'm done, done, done. I got two in college right now?
Speaker 5: College expensive college waxing that ass. That's right.
Speaker 7: Pause, let's get to I do want to ask one what else you learned from Tagoff's passing.
Speaker 20: I'm still learning. I don't even know what to say. The lessons just pain like it ain't really really you're trying to run from there?
Speaker 5: Have you done anything to deal with that grief?
Speaker 20: Sat down with somebody like I be feeling like sitting down with people like, maybe I ain't found the right person, but I don't feel like sometimes people like can't relate.
Speaker 7: That's why culturally competent therapists and psychiatrists and grief counsels are very important.
Speaker 5: You got to you gotta have somebody who from it to understand it.
Speaker 21: I feel like sometime in them jobs, basically they're not giving people who.
Speaker 20: Maybe have a record of those two people you need to have in the office because they gonna they've been through they can really relate to black people. I like, I feel like the therapy thing don't really beef black folks a lot of times because.
Speaker 5: Every person I ever seen it like, they ain't they like took the right way.
Speaker 20: Everything was good on paper, everything it's good the college d it ain't like like a while, Yeah who lived in the street, who sell them dope right now with their gun, but listen to him way before they listen to somebody that looked like them.
Speaker 5: But this can't trying to tell them how to do it. I can't relate.
Speaker 20: See, I asked questions back. I said that was somebody. I'm gonna asking you a questions back, like so have you ever d? And if it ain't, it's waste time.
Speaker 5: But we appreciate you. The album comes out this Friday. Set it off. You want to you want to play? What was what was your favorite song? What did you feel like?
Speaker 8: I like saying my grace. I like worth it because I just I'm from that era. So I like you kind of catching the bus to flow, which was different, like blame it on set. I like the one where you had set the project path flow. The first song on the album Hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's when you said, I'm gon, Yeah that's hard.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I can look to it again.
Speaker 20: I wanted to bring rap, like rapping on the song, but I feel like it's a lot of auto tune, a lot of like I got melodies on here, of course, but like.
Speaker 7: Your voice don't need it. You got to get to the rapping, but your voice so distinct you don't need the auto tune. The joint with Travis said alright, right, Yeah, that's hard.
Speaker 5: It's hard. We got the video we shot that tire line to y'all. Can't wit to y'all see that art? What does success look like for all?
Speaker 20: Stuh the music connected to the people, Like I'm not you know how we came in the game. Like I hate how everything is clocked now, like the number first dad, because then it gives people of pins already immediately they ain't even chatting to us. So me, I'm just trying to connect musically with these people. Like you said identify offset. It sounds like like I didn't reflair. That was like, oh bro, got that, Like it's proven like and showing my creativity like see my album cover falling from the sky outside down. But I'm still on top. It's like being able to express the art. It's not numbers for me because I come from see my My number one record was number sixty and forty twenty and ten ten number one, So I know like working the record. I feel like people don't be working records no more. The festivals in the big places, they checking your numbers, they checking you with your song that don't be able.
Speaker 5: I learned that at Like I think I learned that.
Speaker 21: At twenty sixteen, I forgot who the artist was. They was going after us, and I'm like, I know we.
Speaker 5: Out of than that I noticed. But the streaming numbers, it was like a radio show too.
Speaker 21: I'm saying, boy, they on good boy, they on top fifteen, y'all like number forty right now.
Speaker 20: And then they made me understand the significant point of it. So it's some people that still watch. And I just feel like artists ain't roppers, ain't putting on no show. Bro, You're just get in the bag and like people try to pay in the bad like that, just like you gotta put on a show.
Speaker 5: You're gonna dance and everything. Yeah, you think it's like not cool cool. People like to be entertainment than anything, right, all right, what you want to hear of that? What you wanna play? But it worth it, man, Let's get it that bag Man.
Speaker 8: Featuring Don Tolliver and we appreciate you joining us. The albums out this Friday. Set it off, mister Breakfast Morning Morning. Everybody is DJ NV Charlomagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. There's been a lot going on. Charlamagne, like what I don't say, Like what man, there's been a million and one accusations that I was involved with scamming people.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, No, I'm being serious. So so let me explain some things.
Speaker 8: I'm not My attorneys don't want me to speak, but I think there's things that I need to clear up a little bit.
Speaker 5: I think you should listen to your attorneys. Why don't like? Can people like to listen? If your attorneys told you, don't think nothing, why you're talking? Listen?
Speaker 8: So, Caesar and myself did seminars. Now, the reason I did these seminars is because I wanted to uplift my community. I wanted to teach my community about real estate things that I didn't know when I was first buying my first home. I wanted to teach our community about investing in generational wealth. So I did these seminars and brought industry professionals to all these seminars, whether it was real estate agents from different markets, contractors, conventional lenders, hard money lenders. I even brought auction dot Com to actually show people how to purchase houses online.
Speaker 5: That's what I wanted to do for my people.
Speaker 11: That was it.
Speaker 8: Now, Caesar, if he took money, I wasn't privy to it, nor did I even know. But I do understand how people feel if they did give him money, because I gave him a lot of money. Jesus that I didn't see a dollar of return. I didn't see a quarter, a nickel, nothing. I didn't see any return, And I know how that feels. But for anybody to say I was involved, that's totally not true. I would never. I've been on this radio close. I've been on radio close to thirty years, and never in my thirty years time did I do nothing but try to uplift people and show people a different way through the business mind. And I would never take a dollar from somebody.
Speaker 7: I could be wrong, but I didn't see nobody accusing you of taking money. I just saw them say that they met Caesar because they heard you talking about Caesar.
Speaker 5: If they basically said I was privy to it, and that wasn't true.
Speaker 7: From what I read in actual court papers, I didn't see that they said that. All these people are saying that they met Caesar because of you, right, and they're saying that somebody accusing you of taking no money.
Speaker 8: To the point where, if you read the court documents, Caesar wrote affidavit that says DJ mvy Rashaan Casey had no knowledge of the investing people's money. He wasn't there, he wasn't part of those conversations. He wasn't even nowhere in those meetings. And those are documents.
Speaker 5: That's out there. So if we're going to talk about truth, let's talk about the truth. And those are the documents out there.
Speaker 7: And I know I can't talk about the truth yet because your lawyers don't want you talking at all. So the smart thing to do is, I understand you want to say something to the listeners and I and I'm sure the listeners appreciate it. Well, man, just wait until all the dust settles, and when all the dust settles, then we can get on this radio and have a real conversation. Until then, I just I don't, you know, I don't think you should be saying any of this, but you know that's just me.
Speaker 5: Look at you. You can't even help yourself. What else you want to say?
Speaker 17: Nothing?
Speaker 5: Nothing? Okay, nothing, all right?
Speaker 7: But when it doest settles, you can have a real conversation with It's difficult because the stuff that you're hearing, it's like that's totally not true like it's not true, like that's fake news stories.
Speaker 5: That should be enough. You know what the truth is. If you know what the truth is, don't worry about it because the truth don't need no defense. It just needs the truth. Don't need no defense, just witnesses. That's it, all right, all right?
Speaker 7: Well, Hope, And by the way, you look very suspicious because you don't have your just formnting right now, so it's like the grades are coming in right here in the back and you need a little headcut. So it just makes you look like.
Speaker 8: I just want to say this on cloth, I've never stole anything from anybody, and I'll just leave it at that.
Speaker 5: What you know what rhymes with what what? But and from what I was told, you sused to steal a lot of butt back in, I can't. I'm trying to be serious here and you're playing.
Speaker 8: Around, good old big old queen from Queens. When we come back, we got you your room and report. That's so that's why I can't. You know what is the breakfast slogo?
Speaker 17: Morning?
Speaker 8: All right, morning everybody. It's dj n V Charlemagne de God. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk Mary J. Blige, call out of name or you gossip. This is the rumor report.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast club.
Speaker 5: This is where the T spells right right now, we got a salute to Mary J. Blige. He's doing something very special.
Speaker 8: She's offering a thirty thousand dollars scholarship to one lucky student at Hampton University. Now, this is part of her Strength of a Woman's Scholarship. It's an initiative for eligible students. They must self identify as a female, be a current college sophomore undergraduate with a minimum of a two point five gpa, and also be pursuing a degree in business administration, marketing, arts, finance, or creative design.
Speaker 5: So salute to Mary J. Blige. And I think it's dope that the school that she's picking is Hampton University. Dropping the clues bobs for Mary J. Blige. Anytime something is done for age BCUs, I'm all for now.
Speaker 8: The deadline if you want to apply is October sixteenth, y three p m.
Speaker 7: All right.
Speaker 5: All applicants will be notified in December.
Speaker 8: So again, congratulations and good luck to anybody that's trying to get that scholarship. Now, Cameron and Mace, they have a great show. I love this show. It's called it Is What It Is. And during It Is What It Is, sometimes they ask each other questions, and somebody emailed they wanted to ask Mask a question about where was he when Biggie was murdered?
Speaker 5: And what was his first thought?
Speaker 11: And what did he want to do the night that Biggie Small died? Where were you and what did you do in the aftermath? Right after Biggie Small died?
Speaker 5: What people here?
Speaker 16: That sounded like a ked question. I was actually in a hotel with a young lady.
Speaker 5: And when you heard this information, what was your next actions?
Speaker 16: I actually was trapped in the hotel.
Speaker 5: Now, I don't want to ask the question, what do you mean trapped?
Speaker 16: It was about seventy or sol bloods in the hallway. I couldn't even leave my room.
Speaker 11: Why would it be so many bloods in your hallway after Biggie's Small stock.
Speaker 16: After Big I killed, They was probably looking for more bad boy artists. And I couldn't even lay the room to Jane Deale, the one at the officer had to come get me. I was lefting in la and that and from that day. I always said, you know, I'm out of here.
Speaker 7: Damn, that's the story you never heard. You heard so many stories from that night. I never heard that one.
Speaker 5: There, No, never at all. Now.
Speaker 8: Also they talk about the song old Boy, which was a camera record. Now a fun fact, when I was doing my album back then, we got offered that record. It's a true story. When I was signed the Desert Storm. Yeah, and the money that Cameron wanted for me to purchase the record in the production at the time. Of course we didn't have huge budgets, so we couldn't take it. But I always thought the record was a hit, and it turned out to be a hit. But this is him talking about the record and why just Blaze and Jay we're mad about it.
Speaker 11: Just give you a great example of Marshawn Lynch and Russell Wilson and me and just Blade's relationship. I think it's to say the Old Boy beat is sitting on in the studio for two months, nobody uses it. Juels convinced me to steal the song. We do the song.
Speaker 5: After we put it out, he comes up to me.
Speaker 11: It's like, Cam, We're gonna absolutely get killed on the publisher and we didn't get there the sample before we put it out.
Speaker 5: And I'm like a whatever man. We have been sitting there for two months.
Speaker 11: By the way, Jay was mad at me behind that because he didn't understand why I gave you that beat and I didn't give him the beat.
Speaker 5: I say, Yo, just it is a hit. I get that. Cam.
Speaker 11: But if we would have did things correctly and then went back and double back, we could a card troopered what we really were gonna make.
Speaker 5: Now we're not gonna I said, just do you want to be a hit producer? He said not. Actually, my dream is Wall Street and have restaurants.
Speaker 7: Facebook that that was the story of Old Boy and just blaze all right, and that is your room or reports that Charlamageho, you give me your donkey to man man for after the hour, I need this library in Huntsville, Alabama to come to the front of the congregation and it's a good opportunity to just express.
Speaker 5: My love for books.
Speaker 8: We'll discuss all right, and then after that we have somebody that's actually just wrote a book. It's called Fashion Killer. It's out today. Sonya is the lady's name, young lady's name, and she has a book talking about fashion in the industry, talking about everything on the West Coast from khakis and and converts to Cameron's clothes to the pink fur and all that. And we're gonna talk to her next hour. Right, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 3: Damn he Hogg.
Speaker 21: It's time for.
Speaker 5: Donkey, I mean trying to be donkey today.
Speaker 11: No more.
Speaker 5: They should be embarrassed by what they already did.
Speaker 2: I'm not making the called donkey of the day and it really caught me off guard. D sela man who got the donkey out of day today.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 7: Jeess Hilarian's Donkey Today for Wednesday, October eleventh goes to the Huntsville Madison County Public Library in Huntsville, Alabama.
Speaker 5: Salute to everybody who listens to us in Alabama.
Speaker 7: We're on one O four to one to beat in Birmingham, hot one O seven five in Montgomery, and one O seven three to beaten mobile mobile, mobile, mobile, drop on the clues bombs for Alabama.
Speaker 5: Now y'all know I love reading.
Speaker 7: Thank you to my mother who is an English teacher in South Carolina, and for the Bookkeet Program for fueling my hunger to read. My mother would always tell me to read things that don't pertain to me, and the Bookkeet program was a game changer for a teenage mutant Ninja Turtle like myself. I'm fully aware that I look like I could be casting a live remaker of the Ninja Turtles myself Jeezy Jadakiss neo teenage mutant Nigga Turtle.
Speaker 5: See when you.
Speaker 7: Love pizza, hot pizza, and you love to read, and your mom tells you to read things that don't pertain to you, and you have to read four books to get a free pizza, Reading things that don't pertain to you makes that easy.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: That's why I love you Bloom and all her works. Okay, that's why I love Julie Bloom and all her works the way that I do. Okay, I'm saying all that to say I love reading. I love books. I'm a New York Times bestselling offer. I have two books out, Black Privilege and Shook one.
Speaker 5: Can you see him? Can you see them on the camera? Nick should grab you?
Speaker 11: Got here?
Speaker 5: Black Privilege? You come back to the microphone. Yes, Black Privilege is right here. Shook one is right here.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, I have a book in print, Black Privilege Publishing with Shaman the Shoes to feel free to purchase to meet a Mallory state of emergency.
Speaker 5: And they need to copax Shallow Waters. Oh we got throws again. I got a book too. I got a book to hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on, come back to the microphone.
Speaker 7: See to meet a Mallory stave emergency, I need a Kopex Shallow Waters book. Look, those are the first. If you got a book, real life, real love. Okay, suit to Doug Melville. In Visible General's out November seven, if you can pre order that.
Speaker 11: Now.
Speaker 7: I'm saying all that to let you know how much I love books. Okay, this is what I'm let me share what I'm reading right now. Hold on you see Don Miguel Ruiz's new book.
Speaker 5: Okay, just finished this, Rich Paul, Lucky me. I'm never not reading. I love reading.
Speaker 7: My wife loves reading and it's infectious. My kids love reading. I have three bookshelves in my house. I'm telling you all this to paint the picture of how much I love books, because I want you to know how it pains me to see all these books and authors being banned all around the country. I'm from South Carolina, Okay, where the first anti literacy laws were passed. It was prohibited to teach slaves to read and write. So when you see me having the love for books that I do, when you see me so deep in the book business, understand it's personal. So stories like what's happening at the Huntsfield Madison County Public Library really grind my gear. See, they bann in books. They have a list of potentially inappropriate titles. Now, I've never agreed with this kind of censorship because everything is subjective. Do you know that Judy Bloom is one of the most banned authors of the twentieth century? Judy Bloom?
Speaker 5: Are you there? Goddess me? Margaret blubba Iggy's House.
Speaker 7: Banned because some culturally clueless fool labeled her potentially dangerous. I don't get it, don't understand it, just like I don't understand what the Huntsville Madison County Public Library is doing. See they added a children's picture book titled Read Me a Story Stella to a list of potentially inappropriate titles. Now, what could be in this picture book that's potentially dangerous. Is it humans writing on a penis shaped horse? De writing derby?
Speaker 5: If you will?
Speaker 7: Is it a little sexy red riding hood taking big bad wolves to pound Town? Did Jack and Jill go up to hill to fetch Somley and purpose? That's what could be in this children's book that is potentially dangerous. Let's go to the news report.
Speaker 12: Read Me a Story Stella, a children's book by author Marie Louise Gay, appeared in a public library keyword search list of potentially inappropriate material. It's because of the author's last name Gay. This prompted a backlash against the library, which insists it was a mistake and an exclusive Arkan McCoy's book with executive director Cindy Hewitt.
Speaker 17: Read Me a Story Stella, which seems to be what everybody's focused on, was a book that was just on a keyword search list. It has never been banned, moved or touch in the library. Is still sitting where it's supposed to do. So. We were examining our collection to see if our materials were in age appropriate categories. The communication was done at the managerial level, was passed down through staff and in that conversation for managers to staff is where communication broke down and the intent and the purpose was misrepresented.
Speaker 5: That was Fox fifty four, by the way.
Speaker 7: So the answer to watching the book that is potentially dangerous is nothing. The book is about the past siblings reading together and building a dog out. The reason the book was lifted potentially dangerous was because of.
Speaker 5: The author's last name, Marie Louise Gay.
Speaker 7: Yes, it was added to the list of potentially dangerous books because the author's last.
Speaker 5: Name was Gay. Okay, that's it, nothing more, nothing less.
Speaker 7: Can we unpack this if the author's last name being gay is considered potentially dangerous? And I know this library on carried the memoir of Dick Buckets. Okay, this former New England patriot Dick felt have a memoir. I know that would be considered potentially dangerous.
Speaker 5: What about a man the love? A man the love will never have a book in this library? Okay. Banning books is never acceptable.
Speaker 7: We need more conversations now, We need folks reading about different ideologies that individuals have. Stephen Schuboski says banning books gives us silence when we need speech. It closes our ears when we need to listen. It makes us blind when we need sight, and I agree not to mention. If a public school were to remove every book that contains one word deemed objectional objectionable to some random person, then there would be.
Speaker 5: No books at all in our public libraries if you ask me.
Speaker 7: They didn't ban this book because the word gay is considered sexually inappropriate. They banned this book because this woman is an author. Her last name is Gay. And I believe every single public library in a red state probably has all of the great Roxanne Gay's work band dropping the cloth bombs for Roxanne Gay.
Speaker 5: All right, this isn't.
Speaker 7: About sexuality as much as it's about banning one of the greatest authors, professors social comment as we got on this third Rock from the Sun. Don't say gay takes on a whole other meaning in public libraries, all right. They don't want you reading bad feminists in Roxanne Gay's other works. Okay, look, man, read all the band books you can. All right, Let your children read all the band books you can. My daddy used to say, if you want to hide something from a black person, put it in a book. We've bend deified that stereotype that black people don't read, and now that they know we actually read, they just want to hide the books. So go read all the band books you can. And remember this quote from Oscar Wilde. The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. The books that tell the truth of America, that hold Emerata America and shows America.
Speaker 5: What it needs to be embarrassed about.
Speaker 7: Please give this Huntsville Madison County Public Library in Huntsville, Alabama.
Speaker 5: The biggest e huh.
Speaker 8: M, all right, well, thank you for that donkey today, sir. Yes, Indeed, when we come back on peace B E T B T, we see you later. Everybody else. Uh, Sonya will be joining us. She has a new book called Fashion Killer. Do you know Sonya's last name? I don't want to mess with Christa Murphy. Huh, Sonia Christiana Murphy, Christna Murphy.
Speaker 5: Yes, joined us and.
Speaker 7: Sonya used to host the TV show together back in the day on MTV called Hip Hop POV. It was me, Sonya, Boo Acon's brother Boo, Amanda Seals, Debbie Brown. I think that's it. That's it, oh me, Yeah, it was five of us. I know, I think like it was five of us. Who was the fifth person me Doug.
Speaker 8: Yes, well, she has a new book out today called Fashion Killer, and we're going to talk to her when we come back, so don't move. It's to Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Good morning, the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 11: Morning.
Speaker 8: Everybody is DJ n V Charlamagne to God. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guest in the.
Speaker 7: Building, Sonia Christiana Murphy sow me a Christian Murphy didn't want you to attend.
Speaker 8: I've been practicing that. I've been practicing for the last five minutes. I was gonna get it right.
Speaker 6: I wasn't sure was going to do it right. But both of you in Unison today, thank you.
Speaker 5: You have a book out right now called Fashion Killer.
Speaker 7: And before we get to the book, you know Sonya is a world renowned hip hop journalist.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, and Fashion Killa is my first book. Wowrat, so order it everywhere. This is the first anthology about hip hop and high fashion, and obviously it comes out on Hip Hop fifty.
Speaker 5: Why a book about fashion?
Speaker 6: It's so interesting. The genesis was it started as an article in Double XL and as I was doing the research, I saw that there are no books about this and one thing about the lit space and you know the shars that a lot of times hip hop stories just aren't elevated in the same way other genres are rock music, pop music. Right, it's still sort of seen as either knee or some kind of underground to be honest with you. So to me, knowing hip hop fifty was coming up, this is such a great opportunity to write really that definitive story, that fifty year retrospective. And I'm one of those people. If I don't see it in the marketplace, well I might as well just do it myself.
Speaker 5: That was going to ask, you know what do you break down in the book?
Speaker 8: Because you know when you go sometimes you go to Vegas and you go to Planet Hollywood, right, you see all these rock and roll idols on the wall and you see their guitar and you see their shirt and you see there whatever, or you see some pop stars. I don't really see that that much for hip hop, which is concerned and we do have a lot of things that is pretty big, but you know, whether we're talking about uh, you know, but that's starch of the run.
Speaker 6: Dmc adidas imagine.
Speaker 8: Like Cameron's Jacksody in blue or Cameron's pink fur.
Speaker 5: You know things like that that really step outside.
Speaker 6: Of the Smithsonian, right, the Cameron pink fur. But I think Envy you make such a good point. It is still this idea. Although hip hop is fifty, it's still not viewed kind of through that prestige lens, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean you have the Smithsonian, you have these like little moments here and there, but this idea that it should be elevated and really treated with the gravitas that deserves. I think those are the opportunities. And for me, that's I just didn't see that in the.
Speaker 7: Lit space because it's not I don't think hip hop has looked at through the lens of art, and it should be like everyone Salm Remy was up here and he had these big paintings of like you know, some of our favorite hip hop artists. When you see it as a painting, you're like, oh, you look at it different on when they do the book of Whole exhibit in Brooklyn, you're like, oh, like, we're not looking at it through the.
Speaker 5: Lens of art.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And you know for me, just having a hardcover book out, you open it and yeah, of course there's like forty great photos of like Biggie and Cam and Cardi B and all these people. But there's also history, their sociology, their's psychology. It's so much more layer than just a rapper war dope outfit. And I think a lot of times people see it through that cursory lens, and it's much more nuanced than that.
Speaker 7: Break down This coverle because I hit you when I told you this cover is fantastic fire, but not with it like break down that coverle.
Speaker 6: So it's so funny. That cover was a little bit there were some back and forth, a little arguments with some people. So basically fashion Killa is obviously a nod to the Asap Rocky song where he named checks like twenty seven brands, right, he was saying brands that nobody had heard of, and I wanted something that really made it stand out in the marketplace with the cover. If you look at again, a lot of hip hop books, it's like a guy with a big chain, something very sort of stereotypical or kind of looks cheap if I'm going to be honest, and for me, I wanted it to look lux I want to look sexy. Even if you don't read one page, it's gonna look good on your coffee table, it looks great and selfies. So I wanted this to be a book. It's very much a nod to McQueen, obviously with the skull, but again to differentiate it, to show that this is something different, it's special, and almost treat it like a luxury product, right. I manags like walking down the street having a really sexy book. That's kind of an accessory, right. And it's also a great conversation starter too.
Speaker 5: You break down how, especially in hip hop, how we make some of these fashion brands cool.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, you know, it's funny. One of the chapters is called nineteen ninety one and a lot of people don't realize car Looger did a whole hip hop themed runway show back in ninety one, and it was, you know, big chains and name plates and baseball cap to the side. Now, of course rappers and hip hop weren't given homage, right, But the idea that someone like Carl lager fell for Chanelle was doing it all the way back then. The influence has always been there. Now, the thing is the relationship. I think very much starred as the outsider, so hip hop not being accepted but also not being able to afford it. You got to think back to someone like Dapper Dan, He's like, the only people who could afford my stuff were drug dealers and athletes. Only then when Ell and Eric b rock him, people like that Caine, when they were able to afford it, then they become the consumer. We go into the nineties, which is my personal favorite era, where we start to see Sean John and Rock Aware and all of these rapper led brands, right, and then now I think we're in an age of collaboration. So you have Pharrell over at Louis Vuitton. You see artists like Asap, Rocky or Travis Scott very much being partners with these brands. But you know, as we saw with Dapper Dan, I mean his sort of full circle moment with Gucci happened after they bit his style, right, and only after Twitter came and really rallied around him was he able to have this incredible comeback. I would hope it doesn't take outrage and those kind of scandals for hip hop to truly have a seat at the table, whether it be decision making, design or just being represented in fashion.
Speaker 7: Why do you think it's so difficult for black brands to succeed and have longevity.
Speaker 6: It's hard. I think when we talk about rapper led brands, first, a lot of it is tied to the artists. So when the artist isn't hot, you don't want to wear their clothes no more. Right, and so many of those brands. I mean, are you wearing Marshall Mathers clothing right now?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 6: I mean I'm from Michigan, so maybe we always wear it. You know, there was woo wear. Remember Busta had a line dmxattle. There was the time everyone had a line and it was get a record deal, have one hit record, to have one right. A few of them, Sean John Rock aware they kind of elevated where they were making hundreds of millions of dollars. But I think a lot of it is you can't tie something to something as seasonal as an artist trend, because when you're not the flavor of the moment, it happens to everyone. No one wants to wear your clothes. I think the other part is just for brands, it's really expensive. A lot of people ask me, why don't think sven grappers want to have their own brands? Now, do you want to spend your own money to have, you know, focus on manufacturing and supply and all of these things distribution. It's a similar to the music business. There's a reason everyone's still signs to the majors. It's better to spend someone else's money.
Speaker 8: I we got more with Sonya Christia Murthy. When we come back, it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Good morning everybody. It's j Envy Charlamagne the guy we ought to Breakfast Club. We're still kicking in with Sonya Christna Murthy. She is the author of Fashion Killer, a book that's pretty much based on the fashion of the hip hop indushy what.
Speaker 5: Came first for you to love a fashion and love a hip hop?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 6: Love hip hop? But so I grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan, which outside of Derek Jeter, nobody else knows where that's from because that's where he's from. And you got to remember, we didn't have hip hop radio, we didn't have you know, concerts coming through like that. So so much of my relationship was through things like music videos, magazines like Vibe and The Sores and Blaze. So the music and the visuals really went hand in hand. At a very early age.
Speaker 7: For me, what about Little Kim because you broke down her fascist Why do you guess such a fashion?
Speaker 6: I come, I mean little Kim from day one? Who can forget that famous poster of hardcore. I don't know if you guys remember, but I think a lot of boys became men that you and they saw that the wall. Yeah, it's actually currently on his wall.
Speaker 5: The story. I got a homeboy who was high off hash and.
Speaker 6: He said, this is in South Carolina, Yes, okay.
Speaker 5: And he said that Little Kim climbed off out of that post.
Speaker 6: And this isn't a magic guy. What was he trying to see?
Speaker 5: Like the But why do you think? She said? A fashion?
Speaker 6: But yeah, so Little Kim very early on, she was very fearless. And this was a woman who embraced her sexuality, her body at a time that it still wasn't acceptable. I mean, if I was looking a lot of archival footage, she's sitting here on daytime TV, grown men and women wagging their finger and you're the downfall of America. But she stayed true to herself, and early on she worked with people like Dona Tella Versaci and Mark Jacobs. She became amused to them, because in fashion, what's more exciting than a gorgeous woman who sits very proudly in her skin. But Kim, like a lot of artists, specially female artists, they never got their flowers. If you remember, Carti b was the first female rapper on the cover of American Vogue. Wasn't Kim, wasn't Fox, wasn't Missy Elliott, wasn't Eve all great contenders, by the way. So now a lot of people in the fashion world are talking about maybe she should get a Lifetime Achievement award or something, because not only did she birth a generation of female artists, but so many designers have taken just her elements, from the wig, the makeup, the diy creations that she wore. She definitely represents somebody who was fearless.
Speaker 7: What was it about Virgil that made hip hop artists currently celebrate him the way that they do, because you know, you don't really see that with designers, like why Virgil.
Speaker 6: Well, Virgil came from hip hop And there's a great picture in my book of Virgil Kanye Fonsworth, Bentley and a few other guys at Paris Fashion with I remember that, Yeah, they used to kill that picture. But looking now, they all came dressed and they were peacocking. They were looking for the camera because and I interviewed Fonsworth for the book and he's like, we want to show we arrived. This was important that we are here as young black stylish men in Paris, and you will take our photo. So Virgil came up with Kanye, was very close to him as a creative director. They were both interns together at Fendi. Look, I interned at Bad Boy, and I'm pretty sure that they got to do more fun intern things at Fendy Kanye and Virgil. But I love the fact that they wanted to earn their stripes, like no, no, no, we need to go to the source, and we don't want to just be the cool guys jumping in. We want to be respected. One thing Virgil I think did very well was he's a great dot connector he will take someone from hip hop, someone from art, someone from this, you know, sports world. He was a DJ, so he had this interesting sensibility that he was able to touch with. And you know, I think for a lot of people, myself included, we were just so shocked when he passed, so Virgil and also Andre Herrel sadly passed during the writing of this book, so I couldn't get to speak to them. But I think for a lot of people, that's like a hole that hasn't been filled, just this idea of this like nice, good guy who had so many interesting, cool friends and vision, and when he had that job at Louis Vuitton, it really felt like someone from hip hop made it like it wasn't just wearing Louis. You have a job there, you know, you're actually sitting at those tables with those decision makers. So he'll absolutely be messed.
Speaker 8: What male artists do you feel revolutionized hip hop as far as fashion is for the culture, if you.
Speaker 6: Could think, I mean we're talking about high fashion. We got to go back to the beginning and go to who's wearing Dapper Dan? Who can ever forget Eric B and rock him and those like Dapper Dan Jackets. I think later on, someone like Puffy was so instrumental where he could do anything because he came from that Andre Herral lineage of ghetto fabulous. He was the guy making Mary J. Blige where like the baseball shirt and the cap and the knee pads and that whole thing Jodosy and then of course that goes to Biggie, right. I don't think without Puff, Biggie would look the way that he looked. I think Puff as he said, And I think there's a great quote in the book I want to say from one of the track masters where Puff is like, no, my man is sexy, and they're like really, He's like no, No, That's why we need to one more chance, because he's sexy and women like him and he needs to look sexy. So someone like Puff. Absolutely. Of course Kanye, Kanye ever forget this man continues to revolutionize fashion. When I go out, I see so many little Kanye clones to this day, right, like you just look like you walked out out of Calabasas. Farrell probably the streetwear who popularizing Babe to then launching BBC, and he worked with people like Lagerfell, Mark Jacob's early before Louis Vatan. One fun story because you know there's a big conversation hip hop who made bait popular. Soldier Boy thinks it's him. Then there's you know, little Wayne and said it was him. This launched a whole the clips. Mister me too, right that was a whole thing. I have a great picture of Biggie wearing it in ninety seven before he came wearing Babe. There's an incredible story that's one of my favorite pictures. And there's an awesome picture of Tupac in Milan. So right before he passed, he was invited by Versace to walk in the Runway show in Milan. It was Tupac Kadata Jones, who was his then girlfriend, and his bodyguards and they walked the show and then he performed I Believe California Love Wow. Yeah, and apparently Jiohnny was a big fan of his and Johnny VERSACEI was smart about collecting celebrities and really having whether it be Madonna or Mike Tyson. He just likes celebrities and he was that designer that now we see celebs front row. It wasn't like that before. It was fashion editors, fashion buyers, like people who need to be in the industry. But Johnny just saw the vision and he just fell in love with Pac And yeah, so that right before he passed.
Speaker 5: What do you hope fashion goes into the next fifty years?
Speaker 7: We know what the last fifty years of hip hop fashion looked like, what about the next fifties.
Speaker 6: I think the next fifty I would love to see a rapper brand become an American heritage brand, the way that we wear Polo and Tommy Hill Figure and Calvin Klein and those things. Maybe it's Sean John. Maybe it's easy. Maybe it's easy. I think he falls or is I think he was? He was on his Okay, So here's the question. Can you make a comeback?
Speaker 7: No, can make a company. I think he can make a comeback. Absolutely not. If you're trying to trademark youth at a time like this, that.
Speaker 6: Would be interesting. But what I love about this book is it starts in nineteen seventy three ends in twenty twenty three, but the culture is living, so it's constantly shaping and changing. So reading this book you get this great historical perspective, but I think it also makes you excited for the future.
Speaker 5: Well, the book is out right now.
Speaker 7: Appreciate you for joining the pot revolution out of high Fashion.
Speaker 5: It's in stores right now. Go pick it up. Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Let's do it again.
Speaker 5: O Ye, ladies and gentlemen, to Breakfast Club. Good morning, the breakfast club.
Speaker 7: That damn Justin bieberfore I the BIBA No, he can make an R and B record when you want to cany while we not playing.
Speaker 5: Moments from the Love album, the Justin Bieber record from the video. It's a good question. This is a no record.
Speaker 8: You just throw that on every now and then morning everybody, we are to breakfast club.
Speaker 5: Let's get to the roomors, let's talk Kerry Washington or you gossip? Is the rumor report?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess were on the breakfast club?
Speaker 5: This is were the tea spells right right now.
Speaker 8: Kerry Washington was on Bravo on Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen and she was asked, who's the most famous person to slide in your d MS?
Speaker 5: Who is the most famous person to slide into your d MS wanting to connect as a friend or otherwise.
Speaker 12: Shack Shaquille, he's a big Scandal fan and he's like, I'll do anything for command.
Speaker 5: That's Shack Man. Everybody's DMS. You noticed that who else?
Speaker 7: Is always a story about Shack being and somebody DMS sending support in love, propingnaclues mom for that seven foot three regular Nigga's.
Speaker 5: Good to see It's good to see he's still got that new again him. He's definitely from the brick now.
Speaker 8: Jada Pinkett Smith reveals that she and Will Smith have been separated since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 22: There are so many surprising things in the book. But the thing that surprised me the most that I actually had to reread it because I said, is this true? Was that in twenty sixteen you and Will decided that you were going to live completely separate lives. It was not a divorce on paper, but it was a divorce. So from the year twenty sixteen, which is seven years ago.
Speaker 5: Now, yes, y'all have been a part. Yeah, I mean, think about this. I haven't read the book yet. I am a pinket went free, and I forgot what I am. I'm so flustered. I'm a pink Smith. Winfrey knows Carter.
Speaker 8: So since twenty sixteen, it's twenty twenty three, so close to twenty years, right, So I really want to know how Will feels when we say close to ten years. I really want to know how Will Smith truly truly feels.
Speaker 7: Now what he says to the public, now, what he says on social media when he's with his therapist or when he's just a loane in his thoughts, How does he feel about this? Because it feels like it feels like there's only one side, there's only one part of the relationship always being spoken about, and it's always coming from miss Jada, and it never seems like it puts Will in a good light.
Speaker 17: Ever.
Speaker 5: Am I bugging with this? Yeah, it's just me. No, it's not just you.
Speaker 8: But if they were separated since twenty sixteen, right it's twenty twenty three, that.
Speaker 5: Don't mean I get what you what you're trying to, what you're saying, tell me what you're saying.
Speaker 8: That means you know, when she was allegedly with oh, I don't want to talk about it, to do it, that means that that was fine because it was separate.
Speaker 5: I was thinking about something else.
Speaker 7: I'll think about when he him and Chris Rock got into their little because I know people will probably say, well, they were separated. He probably did that for no reason, But that don't mean that's still the mother of your children.
Speaker 5: This is it doesn't matter. But that was just to say it.
Speaker 8: So no matter what she does on the side or what he does on the side, they were separated and you can't tell what their relationship is. Right, whatever makes them happy makes them happy, nobody else's business.
Speaker 5: Correct.
Speaker 7: But I'm sure they know that. That's why it's their house. That's probably why they don't trip away the general public be tripping. See, the general public don't know nothing, and they never do. All we do is assume things and we see things, and being that we don't know how things actually are, we jump to conclusions. But you can't jump to conclusions when you don't have no information.
Speaker 8: No, But the problem is, didn't they do a whole interview about it and everything? And during that interview when they were talking about their their lives and their marriage, they never one time said they were separated.
Speaker 5: I don't know about nothing, none of that. Man. I don't like talking about people situations like that.
Speaker 18: I like.
Speaker 5: I like figuring out my own home. Damnit.
Speaker 7: Okay, you know what I'm saying. I got my own home going on, keep keeping entanglements out my house. I don't want my house to being the tangled.
Speaker 5: Yeah. But also if they talk about it and you write it in a book, you want people to know.
Speaker 7: Right, Well, DC, that's my point, and that's why I said it always seems to only be coming from one side.
Speaker 5: I read Will's book, he didn't mention it. I mean, I ain't read Jayda's book yet. I want to know why is why.
Speaker 7: I want to know how Will feels about this situation and Will's being forced to have to speak about it because she is right and we're curious now.
Speaker 5: Correct, you know, yeah, m m m mmmmmm. All right, that is your room.
Speaker 7: Remember when Bigge said, problems with my wife, don't discuss them. Yeah, I think everybody needs to get back to that. Problems with my wife, don't discuss them. Problems with my husband, don't discuss.
Speaker 8: But I will say that when when people do, maybe not that problem, but when they discuss certain problems, it's it's it's a better situation. Because sometimes people feel like when they're dealing with situations in the house that it's just them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Only I'm going to go to a therapist, go to a counselor go do some people don't like counselors. Whatever it is.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm seeing everybody's spill. They got to be a social media you know. Sometimes I think it's good because I think people can understand and say hey, this is what I went through, this is what I've been through. People don't understand because they don't care. To have a understanding, you have to care. Let me tell you something. None of these people actually care about these people. Nobody that reading Jada Pinker's book or likes will Swift. They don't actually care about them.
Speaker 5: How could they?
Speaker 7: How could they actually care about them as people? We don't know them as people. You know them for what you see on television, you know, for what you're reading books, You know what I mean, you know what you hearing the music. You don't actually know these people, So you don't have that level of empathy and that level of care that you would if you actually knew some person. So it's like yo, when they give us things like this, were not thinking anything except for gossip, rumors, things to chat about on social media, to talk about at work, Like we don't.
Speaker 5: Know these people? All right? Well at all? Is your room? What's the point of giving it to report? All right? When we come back, we got the people's choice mixed. Let's go.
Speaker 19: It's the breakfast Club. Goo morning, the breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 8: Mourning everybody is DJ nv Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Now we got a salute off Set for joining us this morning.
Speaker 5: Salute to the good brother Offset Man.
Speaker 7: Set It Off will be in stores Friday that as offset second album, sophomore album.
Speaker 8: And also salute to Sonia. Her new book, Fashion Killer is out right now.
Speaker 7: That's right, Sonya Christina Murphy, that's the homie. Her book fashion Killer is out right now. And the reason I like that book is because you know, when we don't got no fashion, I don't have no fashion. But when we've been talking about fifty years of hip hop, you know, it's all about the music, but you know, hip hop is a culture, so it's not just music.
Speaker 5: You know, fashion plays a big role in that. So I'm glad that there is a piece of art that.
Speaker 7: Is documenting the last fifty years of fashion and hip hop, and that is indeed Samia Christiana Murphy's new book, Fashion Killer. So make sure you go pick that up. And Rich Paul Lucky Me is out there. Man, go to the bookstore. Those are two good reasons to go to the bookstore this week. And Michael Harriet black af that's another good reason to go to the bookstore that came out a couple of weeks ago, Great Reads.
Speaker 5: All right, when we come back. We got the positive notice to Breakfast Club.
Speaker 8: Good morning Morning. Everybody is dj n V Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. Now I'm Charloman. You got a positive note. I do man in the positive note simply this.
Speaker 7: When you're transitioning from being a people pleaser into someone with more boundaries, it can feel so weird. It's hard to tell if you're being mean or if you're actually just respecting your own feelings because you're so used to putting other people's feelings first. But I'm telling you right now, you gotta put your feelings first.
Speaker 5: Okay, Breakfast Club, bitch is you don't feeish or y'all done