Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Podcast, Welcome to you, and that's what really missed podcast for a very special episode Achievement.
Speaker 2: Achievement. Hey Jenna, Today we have the one and only Rod, just Rod at Rod on TikTok. He got that. That's his name, no one else's name.
Speaker 1: He actually got that.
Speaker 2: He's the only one that's a that's a good gut he is. I feel like the resident nostalgia millennial king of the Internet. And it's just so nice, so funny and talented and really just I think if you are a fan of his, and if you're not, you're going to learn just like how open and honest and check gantic gleek he is.
Speaker 1: He's a really wonderful conversation And I really am honestly I say this in the podcast like interview, but I'm like grateful for these awesome TikTokers that we've been able to interview who are luckily Glee fans so we can get them on the show, who are advocates of mental health and are so vulnerable and open, and I think we need.
Speaker 2: More of it. So and I do think there's a really good perspective from someone who's our age, who didn't grow up with social media in the way that gen Z and jen Alpha are doing now and like to hear his respective of it is very enlightening. Yeah, So, without further ado, here's Rod.
Speaker 1: Hello, welcome, nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: It's nice to Jenna jenneral.
Speaker 1: Nice to Meeji. Thanks for coming on. This is very exciting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very excited.
Speaker 2: This is one of my Internet friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mutuals, like we say in the industry.
Speaker 2: Is that what you say? So one of our mutuals.
Speaker 3: I think it's like just a social media.
Speaker 1: I guess I don't have Internet friends.
Speaker 3: I say friends. People are like, yeah, do you know them? I'm like yeah, I mean I see a lot of their lives on the Internet.
Speaker 2: I feel like yeah. And also because of how, like I've said before, when things are like algorithmically tailored to you and you like you know what you guys like, we know each other's interests in our sense of humors, and like that's the best way to connect. I feel like exactly, we automatically get along, we have shared interests.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's crazy that an algorithm like gives us content that we want to see yeah, or that we need to see. Sometimes sometimes I'll be on TikTok and it's like I did not need to see this, but I did.
Speaker 2: I was trying to explain I've kept my brother off a TikTok. He's forty two and a professor, and I feel like he would love it, but I've kept him off of it because like, you don't, you're not going to understand how to talk to people, first of all, and second of all, you're never going to get off of it because it is going to perfectly sum up all of your weird interests. It's going to go from like evolutionary biology to all these obscure comedians he and I talked about and he' said, what it's like, It's incredible.
Speaker 3: It's wild. It's wild, but uh, it's the world we're living in. It's crazy too. You can see the generational difference and like, because like I've been part of social media or I don't want to cut an interview time, but I've been part of social media from Zinga Zenga to today. I don't know if you guys had got Zenga was like free my space. It was like right from my space, had a short stint. It was like the vining of its era, like a year of popularity. It was like MySpace without like brending.
Speaker 2: And all of that.
Speaker 1: Okay, I did not know Zinga, but it's.
Speaker 3: Like a blog basically. But you I've seen it all, and I feel like it's crazy to see the generational differences, like because we grew up in a time where like interacting wasn't part of like wasn't for an algorithm. It was just like we liked content. But now I feel like gen Z generation after knows that, like the creators that they love and want to support, they know they have to interact with the content in order for it to go anywhere. And of course my content's all millennials, so they're like, that's funny, and then they just keep scrolling. Then lately my content hasn't been going anywhere because it's like millennials like cool anyway, I follow them already, so fair they don't understand like the interaction. I did the most millennial thing when I downloaded TikTok because I was obsessed with Vine too, and then I got on TikTok expecting it to be Vine like twenty nineteen, like late twenty nineteen, and that's when it was like the cliche like dancing app, and they started to like incorporate more comedy content and promote comedy con creators. And then I got soberwhelmed. Though I deleted the app after I'd made one video when I went viral, and then four months later I started making videos again, and then that's when I started growing. Like I would have stuck with it, that would have been crazy, but I got soberwhelmed with just an app. I'm like, ah no, thinks. Then I deleted it because I didn't want to be seen or perceived fair.
Speaker 2: I mean also, yeah, the public's view also of people on it, becoming known from that app has completely shifted. I mean in all forms of entertainment. It's like, yeah, you might have we might have looked down at that traditionally, right, and now that wouldn't even cross my mind. Yeah, from TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you guys have seen it, probably more than me. But even just like people thinking that just because I show like a little part of my life on the internet, they need to know everything you know, and it's just it's it's wild to be prepared. And there was even a moment where I felt like I needed to do that, and then I'm like I don't though, you know, like I talk about like working and I talk about growing up in the nineties two thousands, So I'm like, that's the content I share and I'm just going to keep shying.
Speaker 1: That that's that's who. Yeah, on the on the gram or on the tick the top, I'm really showing my age.
Speaker 2: I know nothing.
Speaker 1: I'm a cool mam. But that is interesting though, because because you are an advocate for mental health, you know, like it's that fine balance of social media versus real life, versus what you're sharing versus people feeling like they know you. So what is it like now because you have so many followers, so many views, Like people seeing you on the street, did they come up to you and they does it feel like they really like you're their best friend?
Speaker 3: It's like polar opposite. It's either like TikTok guy, I'll just have someone just point at me to a TikTok guy and I'm like.
Speaker 4: Cool, like that that's funny.
Speaker 3: Or there would be like I was out with one of my friends who's a therapist, and someone stopped me on the street and it was like, oh, my God, Like you saved my life in the pandemic, which millennials. I talked to my therapists fat this week and like we just like exaggerate and catastrophize so much. That's like extremes. It's like you saved my life, not like your videos were funny and made my day. But my friend, because she knows I'm insecure, you know, and she knows that I'm going through and so she like grabbed my face and she's it's four and she's like five three, So she like grabbed my face down and she's like, I want you to hear what that woman just said to you. It's okay, you saved her life, Like I really don't think I did.
Speaker 2: Millennials, don't discount what you're contributing to say exactly.
Speaker 3: But no, it is cool to see. It's like I never thought it was funny. I like always was a consumer of content on the internet. Didn't expect any of this to go anywhere, and then here we are now talking to people from one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that, that's right, we'll get to that. Yeah, But when you started on the talk, what was the I remember you? You talked you mentioned it earlier, but like, what was the impetus like or the intent one you were starting on the talk why you didn't think you were funny?
Speaker 3: I just kind of like a I did on Instagram before or like Facebook, even throwing it back was just like for people that I was friends with, because like I had a couple of coworkers and the friends we followed each other because we would send each other kiktok strictlan on there rather than like texting them to each other. And then I just like started making the videos and then a ton of them didn't really take off. But then once I made one that really leaned into like using a throwback song, I used like a cascata every time we touch I'm sure you all know that song machic Yeah, Magic Ethereal sends me the space every time I used that song one my videos. And then I just kept going with that nostalgic collab of like working from home content just you know, kept doing that. And again, it was like October twenty twenty is when I started doing that, and then it wasn't until like I started re entering the world in twenty twenty one where I'm like, oh, those like that number of like one point two million, which was my following at the time, are real people, because people came up and like started recognizing me and like, no, I'm like, I just like make silly little videos, you know. And then you know, I started to embrace the fact that, like, my videos are reaching a ton of people.
Speaker 2: It is a crazy thing, though, because when you do have somebody literally in the palm of your hand watching them every day and we are everyone was stuck at home, and you do feel like you've become friends with them, like immediately starting talking to you, let's say, like on Instagram or something like. I feel like there was a comfortability factor. So I can't even imagine, but I know having been on like a certain side of it to an extent of like, well, we don't actually know each other. I don't want to be like creepy and weird and assume like I know anything really about but I respect their talent and humility and all that, and so like going out into the public after that had to be like a real awakening of oh, a year ago, this was not my life, and now all of a sudden everything has changed.
Speaker 3: Everything, everything has changed. But yeah, it's funny you mentioned that too, because I feel like it's what I realized to when you like meet people from social media or even like when people come up to me, I feel like that first layer is broken at least of like getting to know you, because it's like what do you do for work and all that stuff, because like you already have that, or like it's almost like social media is the mutual friend. Meeting people off social media?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it is. I mean, I'm going to steal that because my least favorite thing about sort of small talk meeting people catching up with old friends is so like what do you do? What are you up to? That whole thing? And you're right, it does completely just negate having to even go there, right.
Speaker 3: And I feel like if if I do like a Q and A on Instagram or something and just like random advice that I'm not qualified to give, absolutely not, but I'll still do it just to do something fun on Instagram, I get a lot of comments and like how do I make friends as an adult? Or how do I make new friends as an adult? And it put into perspective for me too. It's like just like what feels natural because I feel like there was this time in my life where I felt I was forcing so many friendships and I was like so surfaced with so many of them. And now I feel like I'm at a point where like the people that are in my life are like in it and they've helped me through some some really hard times, and I feel I was I'm like I don't want new friends in the sense of like I don't feel like making a new like circle of friends. Yeah, like I'm totally for like broadening the circle of friends I have now, like through other mutuals and stuff and something organic captain's for sure, But I'm not like actively searching out new friendships because I just don't have the bandwidth there right now. Corporate word.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it takes so much time and energy to develop like meaningful and lasting friendship. So to sort of it's like dating. If you've been in the long term relationship and all the something happens and you break up. I have to do this again. I have to like go through all this getting to know you and.
Speaker 1: Also around the surface ones, they're like the ones you have the least amount of time for. You're like, why is why am I even doing this?
Speaker 4: Serving me?
Speaker 1: Is you know, does it serve me.
Speaker 3: You have to, Like I noticed to, it's harder to break up with a friend sometimes than it is depending how long you've been dating the person that it is just for like a relationship totally, because it's like you feel like an obligation because you've been there for each other through all this stuff. But at a certain points, if it's creating more stress for both of you, what's the point it doesn't serve you.
Speaker 1: I haven't had to break up with a friend in a really long time. I don't either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, Kevin, Good. I think I just good people around you.
Speaker 1: That's why the same good people around you most I do.
Speaker 2: See I have. I've had the same circle, and I slowly broadened it over time. Yeah yeah, every now and but but I have started to recognize just because I'm a round someone frequently like new people frequently, doesn't mean I want to be or have to be. That's happened a lot time. I'm like, oh, like we're peripherally like in the same circle, right like and like, oh, but actually I don't. This is taking up some time and energy that I don't want. I'd rather give it to Jenna, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, it's like where you feel safe. Like I did residential therapy in May for a month where I like lived at a center basically just because I was at a like a low I guess you would call it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the first question that they ask when you're like discharging or like re entering the world is like, what right down ten people who are your safe space? And so I've been working with my therapists and transition a lot too, and just like who is safe? That's really the friendships that matter, you know, And I feel like once you lose that safety too, where you have to learn to trust someone new if you canting someone news, it was really difficult to gauge, right.
Speaker 1: Whoa deep stuff this is I think we've ever gone on.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: When you started on all of this. A lot of your stuff was like about you know, work, right, complaining about work or complaining about work? What does your work think about it?
Speaker 3: Oh my god? I was really nervous because the complaints I was making about work we're former companies, because I like worked for some toxic workplaces that if I mentioned them, everyone know. But it was just like startups or fitness companies. And one of my I was in sales too, so it's like sales is like the grind right m And one of my like my former companies, we had to work till like midnight the last four days of every month just to like make more sales, were signing up people for a gym. So at the time when I was making these tiktoks, I was working for a really healthy company that treated me well. So that's what you can see that at the beginning, I talk more about my experience and like how I feel rather than like how the company's treating me. But there was a moment where I got a counter invite just said you're tiktoks. And again, this is like at that early stage where I didn't think those people were real that were like watching my videos, Like I knew they were real, but it was just like, you know, I couldn't feel a connection. And I got on that meeting and it was with my boss's boss, so I was terrified. I'm like, this is it. I'm getting fired. I don't like I looked through my contract that I signed to see if there's any social media clause, which I don't think there was at the time, and he it was a guy and again in sales, it can be a lot of toxic masculinity. So he was like really stern, and I was really nervous for him to slatd into me. And he goes talk about your videos. I relate to a lot of them, and I was like, oh my god. I thought I was like getting fired. I thought this was this was done. And he's like, I think that about our CEO all the time. And it was just like a way. It was like really funny because like we related to each other and that's was like the content was for everyone, even though it's marketed towards the specific someone. Wow. Yeah, I wish I had a better story that I got in trouble or something.
Speaker 2: But no.
Speaker 3: There were a couple of videos where I had a manager send it to me to like be careful or like you're going a line here.
Speaker 2: Whenever I'm building a brand in a business, don't worry about me.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that must have felt good though, you know, just completely off taken off guard in the best way possible.
Speaker 2: Right, Wow, Okay, now I'm getting a promotion. For sure.
Speaker 3: There was a hard balance, so like because there was moments where I felt like I had to make a video like every hour or like every three times a day, because that's what I was doing when I was first growing. And now there's like two weeks, right, don't make a video, And that's fine with me, because again, talking about mental health is just like you know, it was a very like traumatic experience going from like zero to one hundred, while my personal life at the time was kind of crumbling. So it's like very hard to balance it all. Just taking time for myself to it, which would have done that more early on, to a focus more on my job.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's hard. It's like anybody. Everybody's looking for success in some way and something right, and it's like, all of a sudden you find this random success in something and you know that it does on average take like three videos a day to maintain that to build some sort of following, and you're like, well, sure, I'll let everything else all apart a little bit because it's like a professional weird thing is happening for me.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: If I didn't have a video go viral, I would like stay up like until like nine on the app, which is like trying to make something just lost my life doing that.
Speaker 2: It's like trying to get like your fix of right, Like, you know how.
Speaker 3: Viral video is just crazy.
Speaker 1: So how do you how do you now balance that for your mental health? It sounds like you've obviously taken that as the priority versus the social media or the you know, the the views, So like, how how long did it take you to get there and what did you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it was that moment of realizing that I looked at my profile and I was like, wait, there's one point six million people here who follow me who can't engage my content. That's like your brain has the capacity of knowing a thousand people, you know. So that was wild to me that that many people followed me. And then I'm like, why the reason I kept posting? Posting because I wanted to grow. I wanted to grow because I thought it would stop. And then once I realized that I didn't need any more than that, because I didn't even need a thousand. If my content reached five pep, that's all that mattered. I had that moment of introspective where I realized that I am making this just for the community, and if I'm not well, if I'm like not living by what I'm trying to say, even just like as a joke, then what's the point of doing it. So just like if I think of something funny, I'll post it. And you know, I do have to be methodical a little bit if I don't want my whole feed to be like branded content, and I do you know, need to have branded content to earn money to do with whatever, and so I do have to regularly post for that, but just not as much pressure like I would even research like the best time to post on TikTok and like, that's so weird that I was like living by.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm pretty sure I've done that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's admirable because I think a lot of people do feel like like a slave to the to you know, social media in a way, especially when you're making money off of it and it's part of your livelihood, so it can be really hard to balance it. But yeah, great, good on you. I mean, really very admorable, truly. Okay, let's talk about me a little bit, because you know podcast tell us about when you first saw Glee and and kind of your journey with the show, because I know you've watched a few times now.
Speaker 3: Yes, I vividly remember I went to like I went to a religious college where it was like very strict and even like there, it wasn't I wasn't not allowed to watch Glee, but I remember if I was there, definitely would have been some judgment because you like, you know, you guys were posting about things that like oh yeah, like you were like the episodes are going live about like against what I was being.
Speaker 2: Totally yeah Ryan every single week.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, you used to it, but I remember I was in my dorm room my roommate with my roommate got swine flu. I don't know if you remember swine flu. Yeah, And the show premiered my first year at this college, so I actually had like the whole dorm to myself basically the entire semester. So I like locked the door and I remember like scheduling it to watch it live and then yeah I watched it opening day.
Speaker 2: Wow, yeah, day one crazy? What made you want to watch it?
Speaker 3: Like? Man, I was a theater kid. I was in Yeah, I was in musicals even throughout college, and that really caught my eye. My school didn't have show choir, but I remember I had some friends from my youth group that were in show choir, so to go watch them in show choir. And so I was just love music and found it fascinating. So I was caught from day one.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like the music was the thing that kind of kept you right.
Speaker 3: The music, but then the writing just kept me going to Like I still you know how people like watch fine compilations, your TikTok compilations. I watch gleek compilations when I need a lot or just something for background noise, just actually see.
Speaker 2: It's like me watching the America's Got Talent compilations.
Speaker 3: Like the like the Golden buzzer.
Speaker 2: Yes, just before we got that's what I was doing. I've been crying.
Speaker 3: My eyes.
Speaker 2: I looked a mess. My eyes were bloodshot before I got on here, Like I have to go get my life together before I see someone.
Speaker 3: There's nothing better too than when someone gets the golden buzzer and they just look underwhelmed, and like, do you not really You're more excited than they are.
Speaker 2: There is golden confetti. Heidi Klum loves you.
Speaker 3: How do you clume hit that buzzer for you? Yeah, the cannon's right there.
Speaker 2: I don't believe you. You used to go watch show choir, like your friend was in show, Like, I have no knowledge that show choir existed pre being on the show. Yeah, that was something.
Speaker 3: The suburb I grew up in had a really intense school, Like the choir performed at the Grammys, Like it was very very musical school, very much like Audio Adrenaline, but it was it was uh yeah, so I would go and see the perform It's really good. But yeah, very knowledgeable in the show choir world.
Speaker 2: Is it true that you're on your fifth rewatch?
Speaker 3: It could be One thing about me is I I will never watch a new show. I have two types of shows that I watch. I have shows that I've seen multiple times it's really Happy Endings, not sure if familiar with that show and a New Girl. And then I watch shows that ended way too early, like shows that have one season even and I just feel like this is the worst, like happy Endings. I just watched Reboot. That is a new show I watched and that ended after one season, Like why do I get hooked on and I don't even know? I like, look like one season, I look when season two happening, it's like it ended.
Speaker 2: I'm like, great, it's because you have good taste. Those are like all the great sort of obscure comedies that we're very good and absolutely disa to have more.
Speaker 3: Amazing writing, just like we ahead of their time, ahead of their time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a couple of favorites, and I don't know if you can give us off the top of your head, but no pressure. Okay, what was your favorite.
Speaker 2: Season?
Speaker 1: Season threeh my god, we just started season three. I don't remember anything from it, so I'm really.
Speaker 2: Use that's what people keep.
Speaker 3: Saying this rewatch. I started on season three, the first two but and I you know, I think that transition starting in season four was like beautifully done. And obviously you know less of some cast members than others, but you know, that's what I look forward.
Speaker 2: To when I do my rewatch. Wow, what about season three is the one for you? Is it because some of them are graduating? It is that like gross thing?
Speaker 3: Or yeah, it's like the final you know, it's like that. It is really nostalgic for me because it brings me back to high school truly, and I think, you know, after watching it, you know what happens at the end of it. But just like the road to Nationals is always inspiring to watch give me chills.
Speaker 1: It feels like season six.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the season with My Cup, right.
Speaker 2: My cup with season two?
Speaker 3: Was that really? Yes?
Speaker 2: We were surprised as well.
Speaker 3: That is one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: I said you had good taste, right classic good.
Speaker 3: Season three?
Speaker 2: Right? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and that's one okay cool.
Speaker 2: When we do my cup is when we're trying to write I.
Speaker 1: Remember that, ye, mister, like you guys write it. You guys, go ahead it right, no plan, good luck? Okay, next one? And what is your favorite if you had to pick a favorite episode and and mash up? Do you have a favorite mash up?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, My favorite mashup is when the walking on Sunshine Halo this vitamin. That's the vitamin the episode right, yes, which is probably one of my favorite episodes too, just because it's such like an out there concept really, but I love every Brittany episode too, you know, just like growing up with Britney Spears and then doing all the cover songs, and then the Michael episode is always good, like Naya doing Smith Criminal Smooth Criminal.
Speaker 2: Wasn't saying it was going to be one of my favorites. Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is in your opinion is the most unhinged story line.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, so many to choose from there are I think everything was Sue, but I think Quinn in a wheelchair, well, yeah, I'm sorry seeing that a wheelchair, and I think it's just there's a line that Sue says, either in season five or season six, about like how easily it is for the grade just to come back. She's like, I don't know how you're funding your teleportation back here, But that's always a crazy storyline to me. The graduates just like show up, I don't know, nowhere. Remember when I was freshman supper year of college, I could barely fly home on a forty five minute flight from mine Chicago, you know, like, how are you coming back from New York so easily?
Speaker 2: Everyone's just next door, you know, New York and Ohio? Yeah, very close, close, Yeah right.
Speaker 3: I think growing up in the Midwest maybe appreciate Lee because my dad's from Ohio, so I've been in Ohio many times, but just very you know, similar to the suburbs schools that I grew up.
Speaker 2: Grew up. Did the show feel like the Midwest to you?
Speaker 3: It did?
Speaker 2: It did?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Because I knew I didn't know anything about the industry even until I started making content. So it's just like I thought you all filmed in Ohio, you know, like that's how naive was to this whole. Yeah, for most of it, and then you know, obviously learning more about the industry, learn that sets exist. But it did feel very Midwest.
Speaker 2: From Chicago, Okay, what's up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan Murphy also not from Chicago, but from the Midwest. Yeah, and then in Chicago, so yeah, that's a little bit more glamorous season four or five.
Speaker 3: Right, right, I did. I actually did like the second round of casts two, like yeah, Unique and Marley Rose doing blow Me for the Grease Audition is one of my favorite performances too. We love but yeah, they're good, kitty and like watching and I forgot how upset I was that, like we didn't get a closure to them. Yeah, in the final season.
Speaker 2: Totally was a bummer for me.
Speaker 1: Totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love how this You appreciate them, Oh, you know, unsign heroes, they're all great. Yeah, but we was very formative for me.
Speaker 1: All right, so we leave, We ask everybody at the end of the episode, what is the feeling that Lee leaves you with? As somebody who's potentially watched the show five times. What what is the feeling that Glee leaves you with?
Speaker 3: It does leave me with nostalgia, I think. I I've been talking a lot with my therapist too, because its creating nostalgic content, Like why is nostalgia so important? It's I could transport you, transport you back to a time, even if it was a stressful time, like I did not have great years, you know, in college, but it's not the time that you're in now. And I've been going through some stressful stuff now, so it's like been nice to have that nostalgia and the music and you know, kind of calculate it encapsulates, like my high school experience. So watching that replay through through your characters is always a nostalgic feeling for me.
Speaker 1: You are nostalgia. You are my nostalgia on your step. You are nostalgia. Please do, please do.
Speaker 3: And you're inspiring trampoline too. I want you to know I listen. I don't think I can do the weight limit for the one I could have in my apartment.
Speaker 1: You can't, and you can't nobody.
Speaker 2: Jenna, Jenna, You're an inspiration.
Speaker 1: I did it I do it.
Speaker 2: If you do it, I can't. I am terrified do it.
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, he doesn't want to do it.
Speaker 2: The way you can kick your own face with your shin. I don't. I can't even toes. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: You did sit in the chair for years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, I have that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've always been pretty flexible, So it's it's not something that I, you know, had to work hard at.
Speaker 2: Maybe she's born with it.
Speaker 3: Maybe she's born with it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Rod.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for being here, and obviously I would open up the floor if you have any questions aboutly, We're happy to answer them.
Speaker 3: I did have one. I think, okay, go for it for one moment. Also for Rachel sending Sunshine to the crack house while we send me, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it's just so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think so. One thing I noticed too at the beginning is, you know, with Naya and Heather, the pilot obviously pilots changed to once they get picked up, but like they're just seeing like background characters. It was so interesting to see them become like main characters of the show like you two were. So was that the plan all along, like from episode of one, Yeah, because it was singing.
Speaker 1: And exactly say a little crayer, how there was a dancer. I was hired as a dancer by Zach and so Zach actually was the one who pushed Ryan to see her for another Greek Club member. And then Brittany Espierce was born from Heather essentially and Ryan of course.
Speaker 2: It was sort of like n I started to get any line or song and she was behind the scenes such so funny. Yeah that Ryan was just like, Okay, we need more of that. And I think just because they're both amazingly talented, they just started writing for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think like The Boy Is Mine was like one of the first kind of births of Santana and especially her and Mercedes because Ryan saw them like we were at our cast chairs and they were doing the impressions and so he put it in and you're like, oh and then they like show up you know what I mean on screen as well.
Speaker 3: So it was I think when she did when she had her solo and the Gods, which one it was that's like the first time you wrote bad Romance. Yeah, it was the first time, like you heard her voice solo. I think right or one of them, and I was just like, damn.
Speaker 2: Got it. We were sort of like the guinea pigs. I think for the wider audience, it's like if we liked it and then Ryan liked it, then he'd put it in and then like the public sort of responded to it just how we were, like this needs to happen, she's so good, put this in, or like Heather is hilarious, listen to this, like bitch, she has right, and then it just you know, people responded with it just like we did. So maybe we were the taste makers.
Speaker 3: Ye, that's a whole coin, I think. Besides you, like, the only other show that's done that with like making like growing the cast and like creating background characters throughout the series is The Office. But it's like such a big cast, but everyone's so notable, you know, totally.
Speaker 2: Very I think when everyone is so specific and everyone comes to the table with like their unique abilities, how can you can't It's unavoidable because you're filling out this really beautiful ensemble where there wasn't sure the were leads of both shows, but it was very much a team effort.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Yeah, that's awesome to know that's my question.
Speaker 1: Well, we're grateful you came on, and we're grateful that for what you share on your on your social channels, and you know all the good, good things you're doing and saving people's lives. So thank you so much for really nice to meet you.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you too. You want to get my trampoline?
Speaker 2: Please do those are the new videos.
Speaker 1: Please do it.
Speaker 2: When we're in the same town, you and I can take a trampoline class together.
Speaker 3: We'll just go to like those bounce houses.
Speaker 2: You're the best. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you What a sweet sweet lad man. Yes, really great.
Speaker 2: Very calm, very calm.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed his energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel very tranquil now, Like I just want to sit and hear him talk all day. I gotta say, Rod, thank you for being so just honest and open about your journey, your mental health journey, your journey through TikTok and social media in general. I also think that's the sort of the key to his success, isn't it is that he there is no sort of false pretense or made up shtick. He is just who he is and it is relatable and you're drawn in by him. You just want to hear from.
Speaker 1: Him absolutely, and it's like his integrity and like intention behind posting for not to be famous, not to get jobs from it, but to like really just reach people. You can really feel that it's very honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's refreshing, and I do feel like there is absolutely space for that and space to be successful at that. And it's nice to see that that's happening for him in that way. And also what thoughtful well considerations about Glee, you know, he like we all have that show, like you and one of my best friends justin like watch Friends or west Wing every single night to fall asleep or like it's their comfort show. And to meet people who like Glee is sort of their comfort show or they've watched it that many times and know it Like you can't even put a number to how many times rewatched it because you're just always sort of running in the background or watching compilations or something. That's wild to like be on a show that is that for people. That sort of breaks my brain a bit. People.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, no, for sure, agreed. Agreed, Well, thanks for joining us. Hope you guys enjoyed the episode and join us next feed.
Speaker 2: And that's what you really missed. Thanks for listening, and follow us on Instagram at and that's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.