Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year, the Supreme Court effectively struck down the Voting Rights Act, saying that it had been immensely successful at redressing racial discrimination. So basically saying, enough's enough, Okay, why ruin a good thing by continuing it?
Speaker 1: ASG.
Speaker 2: Manvey reports on how states have responded, the.
Speaker 3: Voting Rights Act of nineteen sixty five protected voters from racial discrimination until June, when the Supreme Court struck down a key provision saying it was no longer necessary, which red states celebrated by introducing brand new, now constitutional restrictive voting laws.
Speaker 4: These laws are just as races as they can be.
Speaker 3: Congressman John Lewis apparently doesn't like progress.
Speaker 4: In another time and another period, these divices was used to make it harder difficult for the average person of color to participate in the process.
Speaker 5: But I don't think any part of the laws racist.
Speaker 3: North Carolina Precinct chairman and GOP Executive Committee member Don Yelton thinks his state's new voting restrictions are just fine.
Speaker 5: What's going to happen to resettle of this law? The process is going to have more integrity Right here in Bulcome County. There's always one or two that voted twice a year.
Speaker 1: They don't know nine or two million people.
Speaker 5: No, one or two people.
Speaker 1: And that's one or two out of how many.
Speaker 5: That's just one or two out of sixty thousand.
Speaker 3: So statistically, there is enough voter fraud to sway zero elections.
Speaker 6: Hmmmm.
Speaker 5: That's not the point.
Speaker 3: The point is the voter fraud does just barely exist. While racism, according to the Supreme Court, is a thing of the past.
Speaker 4: The scars and stains of racism will steer deeply embedded in every corner of the American society.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you're just talking about racism, racism, racism as if it's like the nineteen sixties, and it's not the nineteen sixties these anymore. I think the men in this picture would be a shame that you're just throwing around the wood racism.
Speaker 4: So Cavaliley, I'm in that picture.
Speaker 1: I'm there. See.
Speaker 3: This is why this is why you people meet ideas because we can't tell you a part.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, civil rights leaders, we all look alike, but you know what you all have. You all have the same aura of hope.
Speaker 4: We never gave up. We never gave in, We never became bitter.
Speaker 1: Is the Denzel Washington, No, that's Roy Wilkin.
Speaker 4: He was ahead of the NACP.
Speaker 5: The bottom line is the law is not racist.
Speaker 1: Of course, the law's not racist, and you are not racist.
Speaker 5: Well, I've been called a bigot before. Let me tell you something. You don't look like me, but I think I've treated you the same as that would anybody else. As a matter of fact, one of my best friends is black.
Speaker 1: Some one of your best friends best friends, it's black. Yes. And there's more.
Speaker 5: When I was a young man, you didn't call a black or black, you called them a negro. I had a picture one time of Obama sitting on a stump as a witch doctor, and I posted that on Facebook. I was making fun of my white half of Obama, not the black half. And now you have a black person using the term this and that, and it's okay for them to do it.
Speaker 3: You know that we can hear you, right, yeah, okay, you know that you know that we can hear it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right. Then I found out the real reason for the law.
Speaker 5: The law is going to kick the Democrats in the butt.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: An executive GOP committee member just admitted that this law isn't designed to hurt black people. It's designed to hurt Democrats.
Speaker 5: If it hurts a bunch of college kids, it's too lazy to get up off their bow hunkers and go get a photo ID, So be it, right, right, If it hurts the whites, so be it. If it hurts a bunch of lazy blacks that was there the government give me everything, so be it.
Speaker 3: And it just so happens that a lot of those people vote Democrat.
Speaker 1: Gee, that's right.
Speaker 3: To supposedly prevent one or two cases of fraud, this law could suppress hundreds of thousands of actual voters.
Speaker 5: I can't believe we've got that many stupid people in North Carolina and people that don't know how to follow directions that go down there and get a photo ID for free at the DMV. Do you want those people picking your president?
Speaker 3: No, we certainly don't want stupid people picking our president or Democrats. Apparently racism is over, Yes, it's not there yet.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay.
Speaker 4: Everyone should have the same opportunity to vote.
Speaker 1: So the playing field should be level.
Speaker 4: Must be leveled, The playing field must be leveled.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 3: Six Republicans are trying to suppress Democratic votes.
Speaker 1: Perhaps the only fair way.
Speaker 3: To level the playing field is to try to suppress Republican votes.
Speaker 1: Do a lot of Republicans come in here? No, all right? Will it in?
Speaker 3: Move voting booths to black hair salons, and here add mandatory friend requirements. Tell Republicans to do what Jesus would do. And remember, most importantly.
Speaker 2: Vote, vote, vote because I voted, and now I'm gay.
Speaker 8: That's right, Republicans, voting makes you gay.
Speaker 2: It seems like there's been a lot of bad news recently, because there has been a lot of bad news recently, and just seem that way. But that's why it's all the more important to celebrate the good news.
Speaker 8: Your news, Miss America is.
Speaker 1: Miss new York.
Speaker 9: In New York, the missing New York. Make you feel big, lights, inspire you new ya put your hands on your head like you just don't get.
Speaker 3: That's how we do.
Speaker 2: I'm an increasingly old man.
Speaker 1: I'm just really proud.
Speaker 10: Last night, twenty four year old Nina dabul Louri was named Miss America for twenty fourteen. She is the first American of Indian descent ever to win the crown, and said she is happy the pageant organization has embraced diversity.
Speaker 11: Yes, the Miss America pageant has embraced diversity. It is a beautiful mosaic of women sized zero to nearly two. It is a cano penopoli, a myriad.
Speaker 2: But still great news for Miss Nina Doabuluria and the country. It was very fun for me report, just a simple story that was just just pleasant. It's a pleasant story. It's not steeped in any controversy. We'll be right back after this.
Speaker 4: It's a what.
Speaker 2: Know that?
Speaker 1: But no, that's the bad shock sound? How could that be bad?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 12: Wow?
Speaker 13: Unfortunately, there was.
Speaker 9: Some ugly backlash on Twitter, some people calling her a foreigner, an Arab, even a terrorist, another reading Miss America you mean Miss seven eleven and Miss New York is Indian with all due respect, this is America.
Speaker 4: Yes, this is America.
Speaker 1: And you know how we know that this is America. The way you know that is the word do is is misspelled. That's how you know this is America.
Speaker 3: Well, when Indian news.
Speaker 2: Stories fall to the fall through the cracks.
Speaker 11: Our own assive Mondy catches them for a segment, we.
Speaker 2: Call back in brown. Yeah, that's not First of all, that's not that's not actually a song osipt So I just want to mention that off the top of that. Listen, this miss America when it's got it's quite a milestone for the Indian community.
Speaker 3: Not a milestone, John, more like a beachhead.
Speaker 2: Beach head sounds like a military invasion.
Speaker 1: Damn right, it is.
Speaker 3: Wake up and smell the curry, John, Indians are taken over America.
Speaker 13: What you You.
Speaker 1: Won one competition.
Speaker 3: Clearly you have not been paying attention. This is only the most recent ass.
Speaker 6: Kicking Canadal German derived Yiddish.
Speaker 1: Kay n e i d e l Canado boom.
Speaker 3: That's right, he won with one of your words. My sure friend, tell me how my Turkish tastes.
Speaker 2: So you're you're dominating our spelling and swim work competition.
Speaker 1: We're not just smarter than you were.
Speaker 3: Also America's most scrumptious eye candy with the tiara to prove it.
Speaker 1: If you like it, then you should have erased marriage where there.
Speaker 3: If you like it, then you should have erased marriage.
Speaker 2: Stop and yet you dance like a white man Ausif you don't, you're not angry at all about the backlash on Twitter. The racial slurs about the seven elevels.
Speaker 1: Look, John, it is Twitter. It's like that movie Crash.
Speaker 3: You got one hundred and forty characters, and like one hundred and twenty of them are racist for no apparent reason.
Speaker 1: I mean, sure, some of us work.
Speaker 3: In convenience stores selling you the crap that gives you diabetes. But guess what the rest of us, including the new Miss America, are in medical school cashing in on that illness.
Speaker 1: Dougle chit chain, you.
Speaker 3: Got what we like to say, you got gup, dud. You spent all this time worrying about Mexicans coming over the fence when the real enemy was approaching from underneath to cup your balls and ask you to cost.
Speaker 1: So it's so, I guess it's so.
Speaker 4: It's over you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's over. You had a good run.
Speaker 3: He took this country away from the Indians, and now a different group of Indians is taking it back.
Speaker 11: I said, momdy, everybody, thank you very much for me right back.
Speaker 3: Idaho to some of America's most beautiful rivers. But according to conservationist Marv Hoit, there is a dark secret lurking in these waters.
Speaker 13: The fish are suffering massive deformities deformities you just don't see in nature, like what two heads?
Speaker 1: Two heads? Yes, oh that's a fish. Yeah those are heads? Yes, oh okay, put that away. Put that away. What is causing that?
Speaker 13: Well, that was the selenium in the water.
Speaker 1: And what is selenium?
Speaker 3: It turns out selenium is a toxic byproduct of phosphate mining, and in southeast Idaho, one company loves mining phosphate.
Speaker 13: That's the Simplot company that operates the Smoky Canyon mine.
Speaker 3: Have you shown some Plot these mutant fish pictures?
Speaker 13: So those pictures came from Simplot's own report that they commission in order to get around the current selenium standard.
Speaker 3: You see, with six of Simplot's six Idaho phosphate minds cited for grossly exceeding federal selenium limits, Simplot took action an issue to report, saying the federal limits needed to be higher. I went to Simplot to talk it over with a company spokesman. Can you tell me about this exciting two headed fish that you guys are developing.
Speaker 6: We'd really appreciate it if you leave the premises, Thank you very much.
Speaker 1: Who you call him?
Speaker 6: Hi, This is David at the Simplot headquarters. We have some pesky reporters here who won't leave, and I'd appreciate it if you'd send an officer who escort them out.
Speaker 3: Sure, Simplot can bully me, but wait until the EPA gets their hands on the report.
Speaker 13: All of the federal and state regulatory agencies reviewed the report.
Speaker 3: Wait wait wait wait wait, wait, you're saying the EPA saw this report.
Speaker 1: I bet they were pissed, right.
Speaker 13: No, they were not pissed. They failed to call out the fact that there were two headed fish deformities that we're in that report.
Speaker 1: That can't be right.
Speaker 3: But in fact, the EPA called the report outstanding and they may even use it to address national selenium standards. When interview requests to the EPA were ignored, I headed to their offices to see how they could overlook a two headed fish. Hi, I'd like to talk to somebody about the smoking Canyon mine. Where you guys from, I'm from a river up in No No what company we fund?
Speaker 1: I'm not with a company. I'm a two headed fish.
Speaker 13: I've called the police because I don't really appreciate the way you guys are coming in and getting in our face.
Speaker 1: I can't really make an appointment and I'm a two headed fish. I live in a river. You're You're not a fish, You're a person. Why would the EPA call Homeland Security?
Speaker 3: I needed answers, but everywhere I went, no one would talk.
Speaker 1: What is this? The simple run this whole state?
Speaker 3: Literally every single place I went in Idaho there was Simplo. So I looked him up and they're one of the largest privately held agribusiness companies in the world. The governor of Idaho worked at Simplo for thirty years and married JR. Simplott's daughter. Idaho Congressman Mike Simpson shares the subcommittee that sets the EPA's budget.
Speaker 13: What the.
Speaker 1: Is this an actual conspiracy?
Speaker 13: There's certainly a conspiracy of silence.
Speaker 1: This is really dangerous.
Speaker 13: Yeah what do you mean? Yeah, well, I've received threatening phone calls from people who have suggested that I don't work on this issue or come back to Cariboo County, Idaho again.
Speaker 1: Uh, okay, are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: Next time a fake reporter comes to ask you to do an interview about Simplot, you should.
Speaker 1: Lead with the stuff about the threats.
Speaker 3: If they were threatening this nobody, what the hell were they going to do to television's ossif MANVI. There was only one person who could help, Aaron Brockovich. I have uncovered a real corporate conspiracy.
Speaker 1: What do I do? You gotta expose it?
Speaker 13: Man, You've found out out information.
Speaker 3: It's going to be up to you to expose that information.
Speaker 1: Blow the whistle. I don't want to blow the whistle. I want to bury the whistle. Stop being a pussy. It's your responsibility to go out there and make it right.
Speaker 3: Aaron Brockovich had given me good advice. I had to make things right. Simplot a true American success story and a company that is definitely not polluting Idaho.
Speaker 1: What do you think about Simplot?
Speaker 8: Not very much?
Speaker 1: Okay? You love him? You love him? Love him? Love him? Can you just look at a camera and say thank you, Simplot? No, I won't come on, just say that.
Speaker 3: No, just still look at the camera.
Speaker 7: Those guys, well you heard it here, folks, fish and ready and Idaho love Simplots. There's nothing wrong with Zimplot, And there's nothing wrong with this water. Here we go, we're all good nows, Simplot.
Speaker 3: And there is no way water this clean could cause a two headed fish.
Speaker 9: I just want to go.
Speaker 3: Oh, I just said dream just to dreamy.
Speaker 1: Put better on TV fe sap blood.
Speaker 2: If you spend a lot of time looking at a food packaging, and I do, because you know, when you're high, you want to know what you're eating, you might think the three most terrifying letters in the English language are GMO, but y h, y asef monvi investigates potatoes.
Speaker 3: These starchy delights have been a staple of our food since the dawn of man, but now science is trying to change all that.
Speaker 8: The US Department of Agriculture has given the green light to a genetically modified potato.
Speaker 3: No potato Why and this deadly GMO tuber developed by evil agri corporations has men like Jeffrey Smith terrified.
Speaker 12: We believe that genetically engineered crops may be one of the most dangerous introductions of an additive in our food supply in our history.
Speaker 3: Smith, founder of the Institute for Responsible Technology and one of the leading antigmo voices in the world, explains exactly how GMO potatoes will kill us.
Speaker 12: The process itself is dangerous. They create a little piece of RNA and put it into the potato so that it silences some genes. If we eat the potato, it might regulate our own gene expression, causing serious problems, possibly death. Jesus, the technology itself is generically unsafe.
Speaker 1: Working Monsanto right, well, not in the.
Speaker 12: Case of this potato. This is Simplot Jr. Simplott, the big potato producer.
Speaker 1: Did you say Simplot?
Speaker 3: I did, no, ska way, Simplot.
Speaker 1: You may not remember them, but I do.
Speaker 3: A few years ago I went to Idaho and uncovered a conspiracy that involved Simplot pollution and EPA cover up a two headed fish, and I was almost arrested twice. It could have ruined my career.
Speaker 1: Not doing it. I'm not doing I'm not doing Simplot. Okay, done it? Done that? Been there? Almost no you could.
Speaker 14: You're gonna do it, Brennan, Fine, fine, Simplot.
Speaker 3: But strangely, according to Cornell's Potato molecular geneticist doctor Walter Unge, simplots devil Tator is actually an angel.
Speaker 8: Talk The potato produces lesser chroylamide when fried. Chroylamide is a neurotoxin, a possible carcinogen.
Speaker 3: Wait wait, wait, wait, so you're telling me the Simplot potato cuts down on possible carcinogens. Yes, but what about like when the RNA gets into my body and then changes my DNA, so.
Speaker 1: It's moving it around.
Speaker 8: Genetically modified crops don't alter.
Speaker 1: Human DNA, But what if they did.
Speaker 8: They don't. Our bodies have been slicing and dicing DNA for as long as we've been in.
Speaker 1: Existence, so there's no change to the DNA.
Speaker 8: There's no change to our DNA.
Speaker 1: It sounds like somebody who's working for simplot.
Speaker 8: I don't work for simplot.
Speaker 1: They pay for your research.
Speaker 8: They don't fund my research in any way, and then you go.
Speaker 1: To the parties and you hang out with them.
Speaker 8: No, I do not.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, all right, Just because he's not on the potato payroll doesn't mean other frank and veggies won't kill us.
Speaker 12: There's also corn that produces its own toxic insecticide that breaks open little holes in human cells as well.
Speaker 8: The BT protein that you're referring to does not create holes in our cells like.
Speaker 1: No, it like burns through the cell and creates a hole in your cell.
Speaker 8: What would make a hole in your cell?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, I heard that somewhere.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, so you're telling me that these potatoes are not dangerous.
Speaker 8: That potato is just as safe as conventionally developed potatoes.
Speaker 1: Potato potato. Really, that's not dangerous. That's not dangerous. That's not dangerous.
Speaker 8: Please stop doing it dangerous.
Speaker 1: It's not dangerous. Pretty dangerous to me.
Speaker 3: Turns out Walter's not alone. A recent pupil shows that eighty eight percent of scientists believe GMOs are safe, while only thirty seven percent of Americans believe them.
Speaker 1: But lucky for.
Speaker 12: Us, I'm not a scientist. I'm not a scientist.
Speaker 1: I work.
Speaker 12: I interview scientists and translate science into English so that everyone can understand.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've interviewed a lot of scientists too.
Speaker 12: Sometimes I purposely played dumb so that they explain it in a way that makes it really clear.
Speaker 1: I do that same thing.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 12: David Suzuki, a geneticist and TV personality, said, if any scientist tells you that GMOs are safe, they're either very stupid or lying.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 3: So scientists are all stupid liars, which I suppose is why none of the actual simplot potato scientists would talk to us.
Speaker 8: No, they're worried that their labs and fields will be targeted talking about gmfos.
Speaker 3: So the antigmo people are the assholes, and Simplot are the good guys.
Speaker 8: Uncharacteristic.
Speaker 3: But yes, okay, okay, but these agro businesses have a monopoly on our entire food supply and that is a horrifying fact that even scientists cannot argue.
Speaker 8: Right, Actually, the greatest damage done by the anti gmo lobby is the increased regulatory costs that anyone now developing a genetically engineered crop has to go through. Means that only the big companies with the deepest pockets can play, and it's leading to a handful of companies controlling seeds of all of our major crops.
Speaker 3: So you're saying that the antigmo lobby is actually resulting in a monopoly by companies like Simplot and Monsanto.
Speaker 8: It's an unintended consequence. Yes, that's.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 1: There you have it. In this story.
Speaker 3: It's not scientists or agro business messing with our food supply. It's people who have convinced the world that the Simplot potato will turn this into this.
Speaker 1: I love you, mister GM.
Speaker 5: I'm going to bomb.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching the Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 7: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Watch the Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Fairmount Plus. This has been a Comedy Central podcast