Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's dj n V. Charlamagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. You got a special guest in the building.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed, Mail Hill, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Hey. You know I always love to sit with y'all enjoying the conversations.
Speaker 4: That's right, And the paperback is out right now it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my baby is growed up a little bit. It's now a toddler. I guess. So a year ago the hardcover of my memoir Uphill came out and now the paperback.
Speaker 5: How was the response to putting out a memoir, because you know, in memoirs you put out so much information, You reveal things you probably never told anybody. Well, response, not just from the general public, but from like your family and stuff.
Speaker 3: The response was generally good. It was mostly positive. There was somebody in my family who took issue with it, and that created some tension and attention is still there, unfortunately, and so you know, I'm still processing that part.
Speaker 4: They did not have a conversation before, No, I.
Speaker 3: Mean it was I was. I didn't think we did have a conversation before, but I just didn't think. I didn't think how they reacted to it would be the way they reacted, and they took it to Facebook as opposed to taking it to me. Yeah, and then they aired our stuff that was not even in the book, and it was like why.
Speaker 1: You why and probably stuff that wasn't true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of it was definitely I looked at very skeptically, and it wasn't about me. It was it was about my mom, to be candid, and so I was not. I was not happy that that that was the course of action that they chose, and so it caused a fracture in our relationship.
Speaker 5: Of my first book was the same thing and family. Oh, I can't write a book, but I can go to Facebook.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, you know. And especially it's not like this person couldn't have called me like they could have and we could have had a conversation about it. And I guess the surprising part they didn't take issue with what was written as in terms of like it not being true. The issue was when we finally did have that discussion, was that they weren't in it.
Speaker 4: Enough so that really so they wanted to decide out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, they just felt like they should have been you know, that their role in my life should have been more highlighted or more and I thought I did a pretty good job of it as it was, but apparently it was not on part with this person. And so yeah, with they roll in your life as big as they actually thought it was, well, I mean, I guess if you want me to say what it is, because I see you're getting to But it was my father who had an issue. Oh yeah, that was my father had an issue with some of the things that were in the book, not necessarily because they were untrue, but he felt like he should have been more prominently featured in the book. That was what I got from it. And so I didn't you know that didn't It wasn't. It was a very difficult conversation to have, and so those conversations have been somewhat ongoing, and I told him I needed to kind of press pause because I need to process what you said to me, because I didn't. I took a lot of issue with it.
Speaker 1: So no rerights for the paperback, no rewrights.
Speaker 3: For the paperback. So no, I was like, I took issue with it, but it's all good because everybody's not gonna love you, know what you're right? Like and It is funny we're having this conversation because obviously in the news is Jada Pinkett Smith her Oh my God, her memoirs coming out. And Jada and I when I did I did Red Table Talk this time last year, and I was telling her and share my experience. She was writing it then, and I was like, you know, I don't know what the reaction is going to be. It just kind of is what it is. And so to see a year later how people are responding to some of the things that she has decided to share. It's like she's, you know, this is her story. She's allowed to tell what that is.
Speaker 1: I agree with that.
Speaker 5: But I was saying this this morning on the radio, what is the point of constantly sharing this with us? Because it always looks like you're beating up on Will?
Speaker 3: Why does Why does everybody think Will is the victim? That's what I want to know.
Speaker 1: Because Will isn't saying anything well just.
Speaker 3: Because he's saying like I think, because it was funny reading the reaction, because I don't know what's happening to beside their marriage, right, none of us do. None of us know, Okay, but at least from because when I did Red Table Talk last year. Will pop he popped up and talked to him. He was great, and it's clear that they still have Just because they're separated doesn't mean there's not affection there. That doesn't mean that there's not respect there, there's not love there. Like I think that was kind of obvious in the interview clips that I've seen so far, is that this is the path that they have chosen. But I think it's a path they mutually chose. And so I guess the narrative that I reject, even though again I don't know the inside of their marriage, is this idea that Will is a hostage in this, And I'm like, I don't think he's a hostage. I think he's okay with where they are, right And maybe to your point, Char's like, maybe we shouldn't know this publicly, but if he's but think about the reason we do know it publicly. It's like the whole entangled entanglement thing he had because somebody else was talking, August told okay, and I have this chronology right, They responded to something else that was told. So it's not like she came out of nowhere. It was like, hey, by the way, guys, there was something that happened between me and August, else saying that that man said what it was.
Speaker 1: I love August, August. Yeah, August.
Speaker 5: What August did with Angelie with nowhere near as big as the red.
Speaker 3: Table talk, No it's not. She was responding, but she was responding.
Speaker 4: But listen, but this is the thing too, like and this is what we said yesterday.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes we look at celebrities relationships and everybody thinks everybody's relationship is perfect, right, so I think it's great sometimes when you say, hey, my relationship ain't perfect, Like, just because you see this doesn't mean we don't have the same problems that you do, the same disagreements, the same argument. So when you see a little bit of that, I'm sure there's somebody in a life just like them to be like, Damn, me and my husband is separated, or me and my wife's been separated for this amount of time and we're dealing with it, and we thought it was odd. We never wanted to share, we never wanted to tell somebody. But if it looks quote unquote normal, whatever normal is, it gives me the ability to talk.
Speaker 3: Because you and your wife have been very candid about some of the ups and downs you faced in your relationship, because people, you know, people need to know sometimes that like what you see on Instagram is not this what this is is And so I don't think it was at a point where maybe this is some information she didn't feel like should stay buried, because look, she's part of her brand now. Is that is divulging these uncomfortable truths and talking about them. It is her story. She has the right to say it. So I just I guess I'm just really surprised that people sort of characterize this that that Will is somehow in this marriage against his will, and Jada's the villain and she's the one that is making him do all this stuff. And I was like, that man is grown.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, I don't disagree with that, just that when you hear like I never wanted to marry Will. I cried at the wedding. Now it's we've been separating. Sound crazy, Jada? Why are you why you got the man.
Speaker 1: Sitting at the red table talking talking about the en table. You can clear he don't.
Speaker 4: Want to be like why is this at that time?
Speaker 5: And I love a Pinkett smith winf you nose Carter. I'm just sitting back, like, why is this happening? Like that's all I want to know.
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I will say crazy with every I know that people look at it. It's like her honesty is maybe hurting him and making this worse than it is. It's like, Okay, she's being so honest to the point where you wonder, like, all right, did you have to pour it on that thing? But I think it just feels like that this is sort of the ebb and flow of their relationship and we're kind of witnessing it and maybe it's not what we picture because they have been held in such high esteem. They have been relationship goals for so many people for so long. But I'm like, y'all don't know what's happening behind closed door. Y'all do not know these people, all right? And I just I don't think Will is being victimized. And I understand why some people take issue with her level of honesty, saying like does all this need to be said? But I don't think Will is like some kind of victimic.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Will knew it was coming out before. I'm sure they had to have a conversation. I'm sure the first thing he seen it was on red Table Talk and she was like, I cried before I married. I'm sure they had these conversations because they had to work on their relationship, right.
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I mean, I don't know. That's my point. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I can't even say, will bleak if you need to come.
Speaker 3: Out like it's okay.
Speaker 1: I don't think of that.
Speaker 5: Just like I said, I just don't think the general public needs to know everything now.
Speaker 1: I think that's what I do miss about celebrity.
Speaker 3: I want people to be go back to being mysterious. Yeah, I know, That's why I love like she. We don't know if this woman is real or not. She could be a hologram.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 3: But she just pop up about fifteen years, might have an album, might not? She do the same two stage And I love this woman like I don't even know what she sounds like anymore.
Speaker 1: And by the way, we don't even care. No, she never gave nobody in.
Speaker 3: Her business none at all. She live in her best life somewhere. Shout out to shade.
Speaker 1: Now, what do you think? What do you think? A second Jamel Hill book would be about well, there.
Speaker 3: Will be another Jamail Hill book, and it is much like this memoir of something I didn't expect to write. But the second book will be a children's book. Oh yeah, So I'm writing a children's book, and it will cover some parts of Uphill, like just kind of you know, how I was able to overcome some adversity, and you know, some of the the more positive career stuff like, some of that will be part of it. But generally speaking, it will be sort of like my love letter to a lot of the women whose stories haven't been told, a lot of the women who I've admired, and so it'll I'm really looking forward to. I've never written for a children's audience before, so this will be quite a challenge. It'll be the opposite almost from a memoir because you're pouring everything into this book, and you know, it's like two hundred and fifty three hundred pages, and a children's book, you have to be quite concise, and you have to make sure that they understand the general themes that you're trying to put about. Yet, yeah, I mean, it'll be a combination of my story and the stories of women whose stories need to be told. And you know women I've admired, so yeah, some of them famous, some of them not as famous as others. I mean, I'm trying to like really unearthed and tell the stories of some women who probably didn't get the flowers that they deserved.
Speaker 4: Gotcha.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we just had an off set up here and you had some words about his and if you would hype talk off the podcaster and you said, you feel like this is a racing real hip hop journalism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I mean, listen, I admit I'm spoiled. It's like when when hip hop was really coming into his own and growing, you know, that's when you had Vibe, You had Kevin Powell and Dream Hampton and Danielle Smith, and there was like a real hip hop journalism sort of movement there that covered the culture, that covered theists. Artists tried to tell the full three sixty dimensions of their stories. And as you know, you know, mainstream media wasn't messing with hip hop like that. They weren't telling these stories. And so now it's just interesting to me the platforms they wind up on, Like look at Sexy Red, Like why was she on that podcast? But what you know, like that. Does that seem like the type of podcast that you would expect Sexy Red to be on. Probably not.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Beca interesting mark on the one day one time and he was talking. He was talking about how sexy I was. That's what Charlamage Care's about.
Speaker 4: That's all.
Speaker 1: It was like a whole five not bleushing, but I.
Speaker 5: Think you were a beautiful man. He was like, I'm like living, I'm blushing. That compliment is a compliment I was.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, not Bleshing's so silly to take him on the date lady features, I promise you that's.
Speaker 1: What he would say.
Speaker 4: He remembers every.
Speaker 2: Live I do.
Speaker 1: I do, but I don't. I don't know what the old angle is what.
Speaker 3: I'm I mean, he's had an eclectic group of guests, so I guess maybe from that standpoint, you could say that she fits. But it's just I when I watched that interaction and I get it. I know what her stick is a lot of it. As many people say, like she clearly borrowed some of this from funny Marco, who actually think does it pretty well? Yeah, like he he has he's got a good thing going and her I guess looking at her rise, it was kind of curious to me, like her podcast has not been existed to that for that long. I think the way the story was told, he was like, Drake saw her on TikTok. I think, yeah, on TikTok, but she was with Funny Marco. I think that's the interview that he saw. That's at least that's sort of what's been reported and out there. And then he just up and decided, you know, hey, I'm gonna just go on this random podcast, which he has every right to do. But when I look about who are the caretakers of hip hop, the caretakers of how this culture is covered, it's us, you know, for the most part. That's not to say the OFFSET can't do interviews with people outside the culture, but I notice how those interviews are received, and for that matter, how they're treated on those interviews, and it makes me concerned overall. And yeah, you know, honestly, I know a lot, a ton of black journalists who could go, who could use that kind of boost. And to me, especially given we see the danger of when our stories aren't told and they're trying to erase our stories in real time, it just I would like to see artists like him, artists like Drake, other black artists in general, be more intentional about the type of media that they try to do, right, Like, that's why Breakfast Club has the the status and the stature that it does, because this is a place that has been established for the culture. And it would be nice if some of these artists understood that there's something larger at play than just going viral.
Speaker 4: Now I agree.
Speaker 2: I agree with you because I feel like, you know, if you think about an artist like Drake or I was, I would never come or Yati or any of these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean have a choice, right, Like why would I go in here and deal with that on a round?
Speaker 2: Maybe not you, but I agree, But you give somebody an opportunity that is not from the culture, that probably does not care about the culture. And there's a lot of black journalists that are coming from all these different spaces that would die for interview like that that you could really make their career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So you as to see Drake with Funny Marko. If he was going to do an interview like that, you had to see him do it with Funny Well, and.
Speaker 3: Especially because it was kind of funny Marko's thing, right, and so that would have made you know, kind of more sense. And even if you look at you know, I know he's a friend of the show Roland Martin, Like Roland Martin has one of the few black owned media platforms there are, like they're they're practically non existent. So that to me should be a platform that black celebrities and entertainers and musicians intentionally try to go on understanding what the landscape looks like. I mean, did they look at Rolling in that way? I know Roland has had a lot of entertainers like on his show before, and I know I get it from a political ram just using him as an example, but like when you look at how black media voices, you know, the dearth of them that are out there. Thankfully there's this you know, you of course you have like you know, other shows where Angie Angela Yee like there there there are other platforms, but I feel like that they should be very intentional about the places that they go because what what happens is the situations that you you see with Sexy Red, That's what happens.
Speaker 5: Like Brown Sugar, because you know, it's like we know, we know what hip hop is what we want it to be. But when it gets so big, like we're going to have to share our artists with other people.
Speaker 1: So yes, I think they can do both.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they can do both. I guess sometimes what does bother me is that knowing some of the teams behind some of them, and like you said, like if you're Drake, why would you come on Breakfast Club? Because you know, he knows that you've had critical questions that you've asked about him and critical conversations, and their team they don't ever want them to face any challenges in terms of interviewing, and I think that is why a lot of celebrities now think their interviews should be softball interviews, and they think that the people that are sitting across from them should try to promote them or be part of their brand. You know, like Deon Sanders after he won the first game and he was like, do you buy in? Well, it's not the media's job to buy in. It's the job to cover what we see and to like ask critical questions of like what's happening here, And a lot of publicity teams they do not want their artists in the possible position to where they have to actually answer a real question. It doesn't have to be combative, but there are things that they should be made to answer. That's part of their responsibility to the culture.
Speaker 2: Recently, Colin Kaepernick wrote the letters to Jets you in support of that talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yep. So, as you guys know, there's like so many false narratives out there about him. One. You know, people whenever his name comes up, they start running away with these things that they've supposedly heard or supposedly have been reported that haven't been He's never been not offered any money. He's never been offered a contract by another team since he left the forty nine ers. So this idea that Colinwood is asking for all kinds of money, or that he said he only wants to be a starter, that he never wants to be a backup, like, none of that was ever true. And I think the one benefit to people seeing that letter is knowing how earnest and committed that he is. He just asked to run a practice squad, he said in the letter. I know you're trying to prepare Zach Wilson to be the starter this season. I'm fine with that I'm here to support that. I'll just run a practice squad and anybody, and for those of you who don't know about the practice squad, every NFL team has won, and these are fringe NFL players, Like he could run a practice squad and admit it. I mean it's frankly, given his skill level and where he was in a game, it's something that would probably be beneath him in terms of skill set. But he is willing to do that just to show how much he wants to still keep his NFL dream alive. So I was glad that the letter came out so people could see what his true intentions are, and frankly always happened.
Speaker 1: I didn't like it for exactly what you just said.
Speaker 3: Why is that it's beneath him, like.
Speaker 5: He's Colin Kaepernick, Like you have grown to be this this figure that people look to with reverence.
Speaker 1: You know, we love what you stood for or neiled for, you know.
Speaker 5: And it's just like, I don't want to see you writing a letter begging these people for a job on the practice.
Speaker 3: But here's the thing, though, Charlemagne, is that what he doesn't want to do is leave them with an excuse like, they can't say, oh, he was unwilling to be on a practice squad, and he was unwilling to do you know, something that would be considered like very entry level work. They can't say that because that those are narratives that the NFL has, you know, secretly tried to float out there to try to undermine his credibility. It's like, oh, well, if he really loved playing professional football, then he would lower himself and take this entry level job. And he's like, yeah, yeah, I would, so not what's your excuse? You said I couldn't throw. You said I was washed up? Okay, the Raiders said I had a great workout. What's your excuse? So this shifts it back to them, So what is your excuse?
Speaker 1: I don't think anybody believes that, though, I think we know why Colin Kaper niggas not an I think they're well.
Speaker 5: I say that he kneeled for police brutal I mean against police brutality.
Speaker 1: And he got black ball. Yeah, like nobody ever thought that always because teams didn't.
Speaker 4: Want to go.
Speaker 3: But you'd be surprised. There's still a lot of people and granted, I'll limit these are probably people who were never down with his protest to begin with, Who really want to believe that the only reason he's not in the league is just simply because he's not good enough? Even though we've seen these backups, right, Native Peterman Steel got a job, right, we see what's happening, right, And they still are clinging to this idea that sports is a meritocracy and if he were really that good, then he would be out there. But they changed, They always changed the art argument. Sort of mid conversation, it goes from, yes, it's a football decision, Well, no team wants to deal with that. Well, either it's a football decision or it's not right. Is it gonna make your team better or not? That's really all it boils down to. So I was happy he wrote the letters so people could really see, you know, kind of where his true intentions are.
Speaker 5: I feel like you you you never really said anything disparaging about it, Yes.
Speaker 3: Really, I mean not really. I mean I'm not saying.
Speaker 1: Them a plantation.
Speaker 5: No, You've never accused of anybody over there being racist a little bit.
Speaker 3: But I know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: That said you, I know Jamel Hill ain't going back to ESPN.
Speaker 3: But the thing is there's other places I could go, but you wouldn't go back to Yes.
Speaker 4: Men, Well, I mean changes if ownership changes.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: Things change the TV all the time. So I mean technically, I mean ESPN is paying me right now because I'm executive producing Colin Kaepernick's documentary which is airing on esp IN and directed by Spike Lee. So technically, yeah, I mean I I there's a you know, there's a check that comes via them, so to speak. You know, So, but I know what you're saying. The thing is the NFL is one to one, right, It's like, if things didn't work out of ESPN, I go to FS one or I can go to CNN or other places, like if it doesn't work out in the NFL, and that's the highest professional level, that's it. So and that's what he that's where he already was. It's not like he was aspiring and hadn't made it. No, he went to a Super Bowl, so he's already been to that pinnacle. So in that regard, because I know people are like, why would he still try to be a part of the same league that he sued and yeah, and called racists and and and we know how the NFL works, but a lot of us, especially when we choose to pursue a passion that we love, are in situations and working for corporations that make questionable decisions and questionable hires. We all are caught up in this game. I mean, I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but he feels like, and I understand this wholeheartedly, He's owed this, he worked for this. This is not something they gave him. And that is why he is insistent, like, oh no, y'all gonna give me the opportunity that I fully earned. And we've seen other black athletes do it before, like the black athletes that have been ostracized. You know, even when Mack mood abdul Rolf was ostracized, he wanted to be part of the NBA right. And so because they feel like I did all this blood and sweat to get here, you think I'm not gonna take this opportunity. I earned this. My blood is on this.
Speaker 5: What do you think sometimes when God puts you in a different position, like when God exalts you in your position, because that's what I feel like happened with Kap. Don't you feel like sometimes you have to let go of things to really embrace the blessing of what is.
Speaker 3: I think he's been able to do both. He'll never let it go. Somebody asked you, you'll never let it go. I don't blame him, like I don't like I would probably be on that too. I don't know if I would be able to stand as strong as he has stood with it, but like I would be on that too, like, oh no, you just just on some pride and pet I would never find my retirement papers if I were him.
Speaker 2: But I do understand because, like I tell Charlaman, you know a kid that plays football. I got two boys that played football like they did it since age four, five five days a week in the rain, sleet, snow, four hours a day, then a game on Sunday. You give so much of your life, you miss half your summer with it.
Speaker 4: So that's all you know, right, So I do understand.
Speaker 2: I can never get that feeling because it was like it's kind of like radio or me talking like it's something that I would want to do all the time, and like you said, that's the only place to do it, Like you can't do XFL, you can't do practice team. But I also feel like because it's not the same it's not the same level of competition. It's not the same level of competition. But I but my question is if you knew that's what you wanted, right, and you knew that when you stood stood up for against violence against against us, right at that point when you were about to lose it, why didn't you say.
Speaker 4: You know what, the game is more important than this.
Speaker 3: Oh but then.
Speaker 4: Because he could have because he couldn't could have.
Speaker 3: And he didn't.
Speaker 4: Because but you can't be mad at everybody's.
Speaker 3: Well we know you can, though, because is that really what should cost you your job? It shouldn't, right, because on like the NFL is wrong. It's like standing up for what is a humanitarian issue, correct, right should not be the thing that cost you your entire career. So it is about principal and like had he but had he chosen the game, I don't know. I don't think he would could live with himself for doing that to say, like, oh, I stopped kneeling because the NFL told me they didn't like it. You can't really live with that. I mean, I know there has been professional stands that you both have probably taken, many of which we don't even know about right. And when you take these stands, you decide right there, like, hey, if this goes in a in a in a negative direction, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 4: I feel that I knew it was going back and going back.
Speaker 3: No, he wants to go back. But he wants to go back because he's old that because as you said, like you brought up your boys, he's done the same thing. Then to go through college, then to every step that he's been, he's never he's made He's made this point before every step that he's been, he's never been the number one guy. He's always had the fight to be the number one guy. So he's used to this fight. So no, he's like, I worked hard to be here. I deserve this opportunity and I'm not gonna let you. I'm not gonna let you make it seem as if I'm the one that has created this that I'm not ready. And I think the NFL needs to be reminded that this is going to be a very black mark on their history.
Speaker 1: Well we know that though.
Speaker 5: Once again, we know that he got black ball, and we understand the sacrifice that he made. That's why people hold him in the high regard. I just don't want his step back to become his identity.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it's like that. I don't think it's like that. But I do think that he feels a responsibility. That's why he's in you know, I've told people this before, you know, haven't been able to spend you know, a lot of time with him. Is like, physically he looks better than he did when he was last playing quarterback for the forty nine ers. I mean, he's been injury free, I assume paying free for years now, taking any hits. Still is on a football schedule, you know, waking up working out at five am every day, still going through the same training regiment that he did when he was playing, because he again, he doesn't want to give them the excuse. We all heard it as kids. You have to work twice as hard, and one of the things a lot of our parents drilled into us is that when the opportunity comes, it's our responsibility to be ready. And he feels like he would be doing a disservice to everything that he stood for if that call ever came and he's like, oh, I'm out of shape. I can't like they're not gonna catch him slippings. So that's why I don't ever expect this man to retire from the league.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nobody would have an issue if he didn't say they were racist a plantation, and if people around him, because you know, he doesn't speak for himself, but if people around him hadn't bashed other.
Speaker 1: Folks who wanting to be in business with the NFL.
Speaker 5: So like Rock Nation, Malcolm Jenkins, they call all of these people sellouts for wanting to do the same league that you're trying to get back into.
Speaker 3: Because I do think it does matter you're dynamic with the league. And I think his issue and I I do again, I understand this. His issue was that we're much better and have more power standing in solidarity as opposed to I mean, we already know, like the NFL Super Bowl halftime show was on life support, like nobody was messing with this at all, and we gave and it goes beyond Colin and we willingly gave them access to our culture. And they definitely did not deserve it, right they don't, we know, based off their history, the history of this country. They don't deserve a lot of things that black people do. We know this. This is our existence. This is part of it is that that's part of the struggle, and the tension point is that we're constantly fighting to be validated and in these systems that were never meant for us. That is the black existence in America for the most part, right, And so I think this struggle is no different because it's more meaningful for him if he ever is able to get back on the field. What that will mean, meaning that like, you can't kill somebody's career for this. Yes, you may not have liked the criticism towards this country. You may have liked the criticism toward this league. By the way, criticism that's not wrong. I mean the NFL was race normy up until a few years ago, okay, where they actively had policy that stated that black brains and black bodies were not worth as much as white bodies. That was literally policy. Okay, So what he said about the league is true. So race norming, this is one of the things that they use when it came to settling some of the had trauma lawsuits. They basically what was part of this, what was part of the NFL practice is that they pretty much said that black players and everybody can look it up. You can go to Google. Just look up NFL and race Norman. This is all there is one of the more undercover stories about them that they pretty much said they came up with a calculation where the head trauma that black athletes suffered in the league because they said there were certain cognitive abilities that were not there inherently. Race norming, like race storming, has been used in a lot of different medical fields, frankly to justify medical racism on us, and the NFL was using the same practice. So if y'all look it up, you will see and they stopped doing it, I believe in either twenty fifteen or twenty sixteen. It's why some of the black players didn't receive as much money from the concussion lawsuit as some of the white players did, because they had race normy as part of the formula to figure out who deserve what that is the NFL. So, again, like I said, he was telling the truth. And unfortunately a lot of the systems that we are a part of have practiced in something something distasteful, dishonorable, something that excluded us. And part of our fight is that because we built this country and because We're gonna make America live up to that brochure. They all told us a no, oh god, no, I'm not gonna say that. You know, I'm not gonna say that, Nah, But I mean black people frankly. I mean this is something that cole Hanna Jones has talked about a lot. It's like we are the ones holding this damn democracy together because we are believing in the president, because we actually believe in it, and we're gonna make you do it. And so I think with Colin is a similar fight. Oh no, no, you said this, I'm gonna make you believe it. I'm gonna make you actually do what you said you were gonna do.
Speaker 2: I would I would love to see And I understand Colin happening. I understand, like I said, I understand it's in his blood right, that's what he knows. But I also would love to see him. When you talk about legacy, I would love to see him do something like go to HBC or your coach because.
Speaker 4: The amount bring there, the amount.
Speaker 2: Of kids that he can actually teach, I think it would be more impactful.
Speaker 4: Man if he made the league. If he made the league, okay cool, But if he.
Speaker 2: Takes a school like a hour to Hampton, a Morgan stage, Alam, whatever, and he coached that and got them to that level.
Speaker 4: I think it would show everybody like that would be even a bigger f you.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's interesting, And next time I see him, I'm be like, hey, you ever thought about coaching?
Speaker 1: Does he talk in his documentary?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, swears he don't talk.
Speaker 1: You don't really talk for himself. Yeah, and I don't like that either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I seen, I've already seen some your comments and I've got you know, I got the video back and everything I have to give the notes. No, I think what people will hear from in this doc I mean he he is unloading, and I don't mean it like in an angry way, but he is. This was as you know, like he hasn't spoken very much, and so when people accuse him of like, oh, he just wanted the attention in this, like really, I mean, if he wanted this attention, this is a bad way of showing it because he rarely does interviews and he's just kind of tried to let his work speak for himself. But yes, in this documentary, you get a lot of Colin telling his own story, and so I think a lot of the people who were detractors, they will be embarrassed after they watch some of them.
Speaker 2: The sad thing about Colin is is I feel like sometimes when he speaks, people be like he's mad, but he's just giving his side whatever he.
Speaker 4: Says anything, they'd be like, he's mad, he's upset, he's this. Yeah, I just feel like.
Speaker 3: And he's not mad in this.
Speaker 1: Exactly the fair? Is it a fair doctor? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I think so. I mean I think everybody has been able to create their own narrative about Colin. Is only fair that he finally gets a chance to share what is his perspective, share his opinions, like everybody else is at the mic. It's time that he will. And you know, I think we definitely did a fair job. You know, as you know how much fairness and journalism means to me. I was certainly that was a big part of my responsibility is making sure that this was fair. This is not just something where we're trying to make Colin look good or anything like that. Like Colin's story is his story, and we're telling that truthfully and accurately and from his perspective.
Speaker 1: What did that drop.
Speaker 3: It will be in twenty twenty four. Okay, that's that's That's as succinct as a timeline as I can give you. But I'm really impressed with where things are. I love, you know, just the energy and just the passion. You know, Spike, He's been incredible to work with, just smart, knowledgeable, all those things like legendary filmmaker you all know. But I've learned a lot doing this.
Speaker 5: Spike was there when that mine behind, very very behind, behind the see movement. But I do miss your sports takes, Jail. I talk about this all the time.
Speaker 3: You know. Let me tell you this, Charlotte made I think you deserve You should give me credit because it took a lot for me to resist texting you the day my forty nine ers just put just beat the breaks off, y'all, because because I knew this was I would see him in person, and I never said told.
Speaker 4: Me if I had your number, I would have called you. I would have put you in just for five minutes, like do you have something to say?
Speaker 1: Wash them like a black quarter. Happy to see that, Jamil.
Speaker 3: It ain't talk about like what he I was just like, yeah, we are problem, but we are a problem for most of them. We knew that, we knew that, but we are a problem for Dallas specifically, you know. And so when I when that, when I saw the final score, because I missed most of the game because I had to some other things to do, but I knew we were gonna win. I just didn't think it was gonna be like that was. I said, you know what I'm gonna I'm gonna give Charlamade some some privacy, you know, some talughts and prayers, and then when I see him in person, I be like, your boys, No, that was.
Speaker 5: The moral the first week. I'm like, yo, were going to the super Bowl? You know I say that every year. Yeah, you know, you went the low of the cars. That's nothing right going to super Bowl. But now against New England going to Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: What was weak?
Speaker 2: I'm like, Daddy texted them and said, charlam mane were really going to the super Bowl?
Speaker 4: Buy your tickets.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just the belief is so hard.
Speaker 1: It's just that's been a different conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The thing that was interesting is that everybody's like, Okay, this is the game that showed how far away the Cowboys are from the farting forty nine ers, But like, it's not just about the forty nine ers. Is where does the Dallas rake in the pantheon of teams that are supposed to be close to a super Bowl and they're a lot further behind? Jesus are Like, can you say definitively the Cowboys are as good as the Lions? I don't think so. I don't think you can. So it's not just about where they are with San Francisco, it's like where do they fit as being a team? Period? Yes, Like they're not better than any of those Lions, not better than any of those Yeah, it's no just disrespect, I mean and just much like most situations like that gets a lot of the blame and probably when it goes by maybe too much credit. But at some point you know they're going to have to make a decision about him. It's like is this the guy? Because it does some of it does feel like Tony Romo all over again, where they wasted Tony Romo's talent, wasted it on just historically bad defenses, like was though, Yeah, I think Romo is a is a better quarterback, but I think you can win with that, Like I think you can win a super Bowl with that, Like you can go to a super Bowl with that. I mean, no disrespect, No disrespect's coming. But like forty nine ers, they went to Super Bowl with Jimmy Garoppolo and we're really a bad quarter away from winning it. So like I think Dak is better than Jimmy Garoppolo.
Speaker 2: The problem is with Romo, right they You know, when when Romo got injured and Dak came in, they were all loving Dak, and now Rome was better than Dak, better.
Speaker 4: Than they loved that. He came with Dak's jackstrap on.
Speaker 1: Old and hurt, and we knew it was over for Romo. Like that, that's not nowhere near is good. A quarterback is wrong.
Speaker 5: So what do you think you think they should get rid of that? I think they should get rid of the coaching staff first. I think they need to bring in a new coaching staff before they tried. Before they think about getting rid of.
Speaker 3: That new coaching staff.
Speaker 5: Mike McCarthy's offense is so predictable. It's just like he's prehistorically right.
Speaker 1: But I want it and it will never happen.
Speaker 5: I want Eric Bellamy to be the coach that Eric hit me, I'm sorry to be coaching now up. The fact that he went from the Chiefs to the Redskins another offensive coordinator is mind boggling to me.
Speaker 3: But I sort of get it because he wanted he needed to be from up under the Andy Reid shadow. Because even though Andy Reid would say like, no, Eric b enemy does call the plays and this is his offense, people still gave Eddie Reid all the credit. You come to the commanders. Uh, it's less of that, you know, frankly, and so people are able to see in real time like, oh, okay, this is this is what his offense looks like without him having Patrick Mahomes and yeah, so I think he just he did it because he had to get from up under a shadow. The other problem, too, is that you fire Mike McCarthy and then the same person, same brain trust, is in charge of finding your new coach mercy. I mean, a coaching a coach opening can be good and bad. In Dallas's case, I think it's bad.
Speaker 1: You think Jerry should pass away? Is what you said.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter because it's going through the family. Yes, because you got Steven, you got his daughter, Like it's still gonna be a Jones run.
Speaker 1: Team and were basically saying we won't be good.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't know if it's if it's all strictly on ownership, because the one thing I will say about Jerry Jones is like he will he will spin them money to win. So it's not that it's just he won't let his own ego linquage control, relinquish control. Yeah, and he certainly won't hire another coach that could possibly be credited more than him. So like everybody's like, oh, Sean Payton, he'll never get a Shampagne Like, I don't see it. Like he'll never get the type of coach much like he had with Jimmy Johnson who will ultimately get the credit for getting the team to the super Bowl. He wants all the credit. So he needs a coach that is a little a little bit lesser than like in terms of personality profile. He he can't take anybody that can compete with his profile. That's why Deon Sanders would never do it. Like some of the Cowboy fans like, we should hire me out. I was like, that would never happen. You think Jarry Jones, don't less somebody come in there. And take all the credit and all the shine. No, it's not happening.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is the pressing. Let's go back to one one of the topics.
Speaker 5: Okay, THEO Vaughn and Sexy read all right talking talk about a couple of times. What about that interview. It's so upsetting. And the reason I say that is because I'm like Sexy Red salute to her. Yeah, political take.
Speaker 1: I know a lot of people.
Speaker 5: I do know a lot of people in the hood who think that way, and I actually understand why they think that way.
Speaker 1: But I think that when you don't say why they think that way.
Speaker 5: I get it because it's simple things, right or the first step fact, let people out of jail.
Speaker 3: They give Trump credit, no follow up on what happened with that.
Speaker 1: The stimulus checks.
Speaker 5: People got fourteen hundred dollars checks in the mail with Donald Trump's name on it.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 5: When you have a government that you feel like has never done anything for you and you see.
Speaker 1: Them do a little something, it looks like a lot a lot, you know what I mean. So it's like and then when.
Speaker 5: I see all of these people who I know are politically astute beating up on her, I'm like just educate her, like, just educate the people that think that way, Like there's no need to beat up on her.
Speaker 1: It's sexy red.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't think that anybody was rushing to hear, you know, what her political texts were. But the problem is that it does it does unintentional, untold damage still and you know, like you said, that's not her fault, like she's a she's it is and it isn't because like you have a platform now, and I know that she's going to learn this in real time and it's learning this. Unfortunately, some very tough lessons in the last couple of weeks about the things that she's gone viral for is that there's going to be an inherent responsibility people listen to you. So when they hear you saying things like that and you're saying them whimsically and not very seriously, it can do a lot of damage. Like everybody doesn't have to be a Colin Kaepernick or have to be a Malcolm X or Martin Luther King. It's a reason why there was only one of these, like one of these a generation, like the reason why they don't come along a lot. But you can't undermine it right. It's like, you know, so what I had a problem with is like the misinformation. It wasn't that she gave her political take. She's allowed to give her political tape. She could have said I supported Trump and listed off the reasons that actually made a little bit more sense. Yeah, she could have said that, because it's her right to have that opinion. But it's the misinformation that that is what I see is to be more when you have that kind of platform, because like it or not, people aren't going to listen to her. And even though you know she's talked about they love Trump in the hood. I was like, well, the poles don't really show that, but that's okay, go ahead, go off. And so I took the opportunity. To your point, I saw it as a teachable moment because, as you said, there are some people who do say the same things. So let's deal with what's being said. Even though Donald Trump's name were on that stimulus check, he did not the money did not come from it me. It didn't come right out of his bank account. It was passed by Congress people. And that's part of the general collective ignorance that we have a lot of us don't know how government works. There's no shame in that because it is a complicated system. But we have to understand how legislation has passed, how policies are made, knowing the right person to be mad at, because a lot of the things that people are mad at, you know, inflation, other things. I was like, the president doesn't have a whole lot to do with that, and we're in a huge age of corporate greed like we've never seen before. And I wish that we had a better hand on who to blame because then that would help us better strategize.
Speaker 1: But you know what, I tell the tell the hood.
Speaker 5: I'll just be like, Biden gave our Stemmys two.
Speaker 3: But that was brilliant though. I was like, I mean, no president in the history has ever done that.
Speaker 4: He's like, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: The tecks get held up because he was like, no, no, I'm gonna need that. Donald J.
Speaker 5: Trump on it because he knew, he knew the lasting impact that would have. But technically, you're right, Biden Trump signed signed it in twice, Yeah, signed it in once.
Speaker 1: Biden gave out Stemmys two.
Speaker 5: It is that's the hook, Yeah, right, That's how you get the sexy reds and all.
Speaker 3: It isn't. And unfortunately the other part of it is that the amount of media machinery behind the right wing there's no democratic equivalent, Like there's no democratic equivalent to Fox News. So when people are like, oh, democrats have a messaging problem, like, they don't actually have a messaging problem. They're just up against a force that they cannot duplicate, Like they can't duplicate having an own a NEWSMAC channels who twenty for seven. This is all they do is tell them the same ten lies over and over again. And they just don't have that because as liberal as you may think MSNBC is or CNN, they're still gonna mostly call it down the middle. Down the middle is not the same as democratic messaging. That's constantly being like we're doing this, we're doing this, we're doing this. So they're up against something that frankly, I'm not sure that they can overcome it. And it doesn't help when you have really popular people with a platform who continue to pay it the same misinformation as some of these other channels. So I hope somebody in her camp or somebody period pulled her aside and said, hey, here are the issues. If you're gonna speak about these, and if you're gonna take a pro Trump position, at least if you're gonna take one, take one that is a little more informative than the one that, oh, your facts, know your.
Speaker 1: Facts, and people just like to be entertained. Nowadays. Two, they do tru be very entertaining. That's why you see these do it.
Speaker 5: By the way, I would bet that most of these people who have Donald Trump chains and stuff they not ready to vote.
Speaker 1: But that's the other thing, why are you even care? Serious? Like, why do you even care?
Speaker 3: I don't know the people at the rallies, man, I think those.
Speaker 4: People that they read, I think you're talking.
Speaker 5: About, Like, yeah, but I know that. I'm like, I bet you didn't not resister the vote. Yeah, I bet you said you're not restable.
Speaker 3: I mean, that would have been like a great follow up to be like, oh, so are you registered to vote? Are do you playing the vote for him in the next election. That would have been something to bring up with her, But I guarantee that might be the last political question she for quite some time. So in Spotify with Spotify, I did, I did, and you know, listen, I was there. I got there in twenty nineteen, and you know, Spotify was undergoing quite a change in the sense that like they really wanted to be the most prominent brand in the podcast game, and so a lot of the things, a lot of the ups and downs and figuring stuff out. Sometimes when you become a part of something that's I wouldn't call them necessarily new, but a part of something that's like in a deep evolution period, you can, you know, you can wind up, you can wind up experiencing some of their growing prains, which are not necessarily out of malice, but nevertheless they impact your business. And so I think Spotify was overall a great partner. We had a good relationship, but for the things that I wanted to do, they just weren't a fit. And you know it was it was not an easy parting because again we were able to produce a lot of good things together. The podcast is self Jamail Hills Unbothered. You know on multiple NAACP Image Awards, one Webby Awards, like it was a very highly regarded podcast, but that in the podcast network that I created for black women, I just think ultimately weren't a fit for them. And so One thing the experience that ESPN taught me is that when I see certain things and see certain I guess for lack of better way to put in red flags, then I know, like, I probably am better off Before this gets to a point where it is contentious, where you don't like each other as much, it's probably best that I move on. Yeah, so, because I just I guess I'm really extraordinarily sensitive to those things following the ESPN experience, and so when I saw some of the same decisions being made in the same dynamics, I was like, yeah, this is probably a good time.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like Pittsburgh, the Steelers, they used to be known for this is in fact, they were good at cutting players too early rather than too late.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Right, And so I felt like we should probably cut the relationship now as opposed to later on with this would be bad for both of us.
Speaker 1: One more question, do you still think they get Hilly's racist a reason for it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know why you said.
Speaker 1: That you thought she was racist for not wanting Vice President Harry.
Speaker 3: No, so it's not that because again, like in politics, you're not gonna agree with who needs to be the leader. It's not the general disagreement that I think people took it that way. But I know what she's doing, and I know in general what the Conservatives do when it comes to Kamala Harris is you know, I know vice presidents have other vice presidents have been scrutinized. You know, certainly Dick Cheney was Biden. I don't think so much. I mean, to be honest, like nobody really did Mike Pence. Okay, you know, so all of a sudden, this's infatuation with what the vice president does. It's just funny that certain types of criticisms that have been made about Kamala Harris are criticisms that are very unique to her being a black woman in that position. And so I feel like one of the bullhorns, one of the dog whistles they use is by throwing out, oh, you know, she could be president. Is because what they're really trying to say is like, you know, this black woman could be president if you reelect Joe Biden. And that's why all of it not all of a sudden, but that's why his age, even though Trump is like what Trump is like about the same four years ago. They vote old. Okay, they're both old. But the focus and the attention and the level of scrutiny on Joe Biden's age and health are in part due because of who is the vice president. Because the message they're really trying to see is like, oh, by showing him, you know, because as he's told people before, like he struggles with suttering, right, So he's not the most I don't think effective public speaker because of that struggle. He's probably very conscious of it, but they are constantly running these clips of him sort of looking out of it, because what they're really trying to communicate is like, oh, but you know he's behind him. Do y'all really want a black woman to be president? And I feel like Nikki Haley uses that. So one of the reasons, like when Don Lemon said that about when he criticized her, and all he was saying was she needs to be careful lobbing the whole ageism thing, because there are people out there who feel like women are aged out or they're past their prime at a certain point. Like if you say that about a woman, people are gonna have problems. So why are you saying this about your political opponents? Because if somebody comes at you that way, You're gonna be mad, That's all he was saying. Right, And she constantly is talking about Biden's age, and She's talked about Trump's age before, I believe, And so my whole thing with her is like, by constantly drumming up a level of criticism for Kamala Harris, we know what you're doing. We know the dog whistle that you're trying to blow. And given her history, I mean, what her father taught at HBCU, you know, the fact is she's a person of color in this country. And to see some of her opinions about affirmative action and about just in general the conditions of people of color and black people specifically in this country. I mean, it took a horrible shooting at Charleston for her to understand why the Confederate flag is not appropriate. So there's a lot of things on her record to check her about. So I'm not calling her a flat out racist, but what I will say is that she's very comfortable using racist dog whistles to further and advance her political position.
Speaker 5: I feel like the biggest opposition Vice President Harris is going to face is going to come from in her own party.
Speaker 1: Yes, I agree.
Speaker 5: I think that there's people in her party right now who don't want her to be vice president.
Speaker 3: I did in time, and it's the hit pieces that are done on her. It's just I don't I mean, I get it, but I don't get it.
Speaker 1: I had to go Google and see, well what did she do? Like I was like, I'm not of nowhere long.
Speaker 3: As I mean, and even some of us who are just like, well, what is she doing? Where's she being? Like she literally speaks every day guys like I don't know what to tell y'all, Like you're like, where is she? I'm like, uh, because I'm on the mailing list. I get our schedule practically every day. Like she's always doing a lot of things, like I know right now, she's on the college tour to to you know, not only just promote what they're doing in terms of alleviating some of these student loans, but also to just encourage people again to pursue their academic pursuits, because somehow in this country we got to a point where now degrees are bad, Now going to college is bad. But no that like, she's been subjected to a lot of hip pieces, and you could tell their hip pieces because of some of the things they say about her.
Speaker 1: You can tell that from within, and.
Speaker 3: They can tell that from within. It's like because I think in that is this. This is the article that mentioned how much time she spends on her hair. On her hair, Like are you serious? Like that's what we're doing? Like on her air, Like she's a black woman. I bet she is going to spend some time on her air because the moment she doesn't look presentable, guess what the conversation is going to be about the vice president. So it's like she's damned damned if she doesn't. She's caught in a really type position. And I feel like it is really it's really neutering what I think makes her such a strong politician. And like it or not, Joe Biden would not have gotten elected without her, He would not have She was the strongest, I think, person for him to run with. It was her.
Speaker 5: The general election polls that you see that shows Trump beating Biden or scaring people in the Democratic Party and they're looking for somebody to blame, correct, and it's her. And I think that there is some type of groundswell happening in that party to get her out of the picture and put somebody else there.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're going to do that because I think they know that that would be politically way worse. Because even with the conversations that have been had about Vice President Harrison our community and there being some mixed feelings in our community about her, even with all that being said, if they take her off the ticket, that will not play well with us because Black black people overwhelmingly support her, right, and this is we're the people you need to bring to the voting party you cannot win. Overwhelmingly support her. And look, I know people, I know people are gonna watch this, and I know they'll comment, you know, and say, like, overwhelmingly support Kamala Harris. Look at who's voting, and they're in our community. Look who vote? Older people vote? Right? You think older people, older black people don't love Kamala heirs. They love Kamala hairs. I think so absolutely, a thousand percent, dude, like black people.
Speaker 5: Like they will always going to show black people, always show democratic black people. I hear a lot of older black people's men and women, they don't really they don't vote for I don't know.
Speaker 3: Look, I think the majority of Black people support Kamala Hairs. I do again. I'm not saying that there have not been criticisms in our community that people have brought to the surface, like we sure about this or not majority support. Kamla Harris, all right, I mean, look, listen, do you feel like that there's another viable VP that.
Speaker 1: Will get No. I don't think that exactly. I don't think the Democrats have no bitch period.
Speaker 3: No, it's then it's then like when you look at who could have run bench.
Speaker 4: Just Claire, he said, bench, bench, No, bench.
Speaker 2: Clearly she heard bitch and I heard bitch.
Speaker 1: That's what I said. Bitch. That's all beyond you from South Carolina. Now you understand me.
Speaker 4: You heard.
Speaker 2: Said, let me clear bench, he said, bench. Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: A lot of times when people think that you've said something on air that you haven't said, I was like, look at the person next to him. If the person next to him doesn't respond, but that means they probably didn't say it.
Speaker 4: I heard it, but I was like, you didn't respond, but I looked over your shoulders.
Speaker 3: She was like, actually said that. You would be like, hey man, bitch, very clearly bitch South Carolina.
Speaker 4: Bitch.
Speaker 5: You made me question, was like that you said about.
Speaker 1: But it sounded like you said, just now say bitch, bitch.
Speaker 5: I said, they don't have no bench, right.
Speaker 2: No bitch, no bitch.
Speaker 3: All right, I mean this, This wouldn't even make sense like the Democrats. I got no bitch like that.
Speaker 2: You just talked about. Kamala Harrison. He said they ain't got no other bitch. Bitch, he's got no other bitch. Oh my god, I'm glad they'd be like God's crazy.
Speaker 3: That'd be crazy like charlamademla airs d.
Speaker 1: Somebody still might say that we live in that era.
Speaker 3: Somebody still solutely did not say that.
Speaker 1: Jesus people, he didn't say it.
Speaker 3: Bitch, my god, Oh my good.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, Pill Memoir, the paperbacks. All right now, I appreciate you for joining us. And it's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, Wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 3: M hm.