Speaker 1: As a league.
Speaker 2: Fifteen to ten touchdown Chargers Everybody.
Speaker 3: We are back with another episode of Chargers Weekly. Week six, back from the Bye Cowboys Chargers on Monday Night, Football and Money. My takeaways from Week five. Obviously the Chargers headed off, but you look at this AFC doesn't scare me as much as it did maybe before the season started. I think there's three teams one the Chargers should have beat in Week one, the Dolphins to the Bills, who lost in London.
Speaker 4: They'll play in December.
Speaker 3: And obviously you got to slay the beasts of the Kansas City Chiefs, and they're gonna have that opportunity.
Speaker 4: But I look up and down the conference. The Chargers.
Speaker 3: You may not like how it started the first quarter of this season. They're two and two and it's up to them to flip the narrative of their season. And what a golden opportunity against the Cowboys followed by the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a tough stretch, you know. It's you don't only play the AFC. You got to play these NFC teams, and you got to play the Lions, and you got you know, this next stretches. Obviously, Cowboys Monday night, the Chiefs coming off a mini bi because they're playing tonight when we record this against the Broncos. Let's go Broncos. Can we root for Sean Payton and Russell and Russell Wilson here, you know? So they get a mini by the Chargers get a short week. So that's a tough back to back. You hate to be two and four coming out of that. You'd love to get at least a split. We know it's going to be tough in Kansas City. You know. The Chiefs play the Chargers well, the Chargers play the Chiefs well, and we've gone through this, you know. But but after that, you look and it's like, Okay, I can make a case that this is a good stretch for the Chargers to build some win equity. Bears at home at the Jets, Lions at home at the Packers, Ravens at home at the Patriots, Broncos at home at the Raiders. So just go through that stretch, and the one thing that jumps out at you is, Okay, there's winnable games. The Chargers will probably be favored. They get the Ravens at home, they get the Lions at home, but those are tough road trips. You know, you're talking about East Coast trips to New York Monday night primetime in the Big Apple, you know, to Green Bay, lambeau Field. You know, very heck of a home field advantage there for green Bay, all the way to freaking Foxborough, and we know it feels like you're taking a drive into the Salem Witch Trials when you roll into Foxborough. Just how creepy that place is so and the Raiders, you know, a place where they have struggled. You know that they have struggled to win a game in Las Vegas. So it looks good, but it's still a bit of an arduous stretch, you know. And as we saw, the Bills looked like a buzz saw two weeks ago, and you know, to some degree that's a tough one for them. You know, you have the Jaguars who've been there for a full week plus and have acclimated and have settled in, and you know they fly over there on Friday and have to figure out a way to to get after it. Not to mention in their two best defensive players now and back to back week. So what I'm getting that is, you know, it looks good, It looks like it's lining up, but there's still you can still make a case. Yeah, this is probably a little tougher than maybe it looks on paper when fans are trying to draw out their their wins and losses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's up to the Chargers. Frankly, I mean, this week is almost a reset. It sounds like, you know, we're taping this on a Thursday. The first injury report will come out today, but it sounds like everybody except for Joey Bosa was on the practice field earlier.
Speaker 4: This week.
Speaker 3: We're expecting Austin Eckler to return to the lineup. WHI should give that that running game some juice. You hope Joey's back and you pair him with Tully and Khalil and they can kind of build off that success derwin and a low he obviously in the secondary. And you know, you go up against the Cowboys team who frankly was just outclassed in every facet against the San Francisco forty nine ers forty two to ten, and that defense just buzz sold by Brock Purdy and company. And you know that Niners defense can make a lot of people look mortal. Dak Prescott, maybe one of the worst games of his career. I set that up for you to say, do you want to see Dallas coming off a huge loss like this, or Hey, they're struggling right now, maybe it's time to pounce.
Speaker 1: Well, I think what I'm hoping is that Brandon Staley does what he did last year. Remember Miami went to San Francisco and you know you kind of saw I think that's how it went. I feel like there was a team that gave him the blueprint for what he did against Miami. I should go and look at what them I that'd be good if I had done that homework before the before the pod here. But remember they had a great game against Miami when everybody thought they weren't going to play. Well, yes, that's exactly what it was. So I was right. Miami played San Francisco. San Francisco gives Brandon to some degree, the blueprint. Hey this this is a good idea of how to play this offense. And Brandon took it to the next level and played an even better game against Miami than the forty nine ers. Let's flip that. I hope they're watching, and I'm sure they are. What Kyle Shanahan did to that Dallas defense. I went back and watched every snap, in particular the Michah Parsons pass rush. Now number one. You know, the conversation with the best left tackle in the NFL starts with Trent Williams, and when he was one on one with Micah, he won, And I think that's kind of what we're thinking about with Rashaun Slater. We feel pretty good that if Slater's healthy and one on one with Michaeh Parsons, he's going to hold his own. When Micah wasn't one on one, it is incredible to watch all the different looks that they gave him, because the thing about Michael Parsons and why he is such a game wrecker is he's everywhere. He's lined up on the right tackle and before you know it, he's just he is a flash in through the a gap between the in the guard, and nobody knows who has him. They ran so much motion, They ran receivers into him, They stacked two tight ends and then all of a sudden moved both of them, and Micah thinks he's got a free pass rush, but they're flashing wide open a half a second after the snap for fifteen yards like they did so much basically centered around one player. What are we going to do to negate Micah Parsons And whether it was double teams or triple teams or running backs chipping, a lot of it was just the way they ran the offense and when they were running away from him, and when he thought he had one on ones when he didn't. The ball was already out by the time he got to brock Perry. I think he only had I think I only counted two pressures maybe three in that entire game, and you're talking about a guy who got thirty on the season. So to me, that's that's the benefit of getting the Cowboys off of that game is just go back watch the blueprint and look at how the forty nine ers, specifically, you know, try to negate the Micah Parsons problem.
Speaker 3: We'll get into Kellen Moore and Nuss facing their former team, but I just want to look at these Cowboys stats real quick. And so in their three wins money they've allowed a total of thirteen points and their two losses they've allowed a total of seventy points. So who's the real Cowboys defense Obviously, Layton vander esh is not gonna play in this game. Trayvon Diggs hurt earlier in the season, so down a couple of big dudes. The Cardinals were able to run wild on them two hundred and twenty two yards. San Francisco ran for a bucks seventy. So how do you attack this Cowboys defense knowing that they've kind of been jekyling hide this year? You know, when they're dominant, they're super dominant. And when they were exposed, boy were they exposed.
Speaker 1: So two things. I think it's so important when you have such a small sample to look at, you know, specifically, Okay, let's talk about the three wins. New England's offense has been an abject failure. We just saw a Saints team that's got a good defense, but their offense has start a mocking all season long. So shut them out, you know, So take that thirty eight to three and you recognize that they've had issues. And I went back and watched all those snaps as well with Mike and he just abused Trent round just I mean, he was all over that offensive line. Micah Parsons was and just wrecked the game. Arizona was interesting. Dobbs played a really good game. I mean he just hung in the pocket. I mean he took a lot of shots and was able to just kind of get what he wanted, waited for those routes to develop downfield and was getting those chunk plays which opened things up for the run game that you were talking about, Chris. The Giants, we know Evan Neil has been a major issue. The majority of those thirty pressures for Parsons came in that game. I bet at least ten of them were from that game, and it was all right tackle. So much of it was on Evan Neil. I'd say at least four of them were wide open runways to Daniel Jones. And then the Jets, we know that's the first game coming off the emotional high of Monday Night football on nine to eleven. You lose Aaron Rodgers and it exposed how bad their offensive line was. So what I'm getting at is it all comes down the old line and blocking, and I think if you can block up front, and that's why I think you know you heard. I think it was Coach Staley. I want to say it was Coach Staley that said it after practice. You know, he just said, this group's too good to have the pressures that we have. This offensive line group is too good. So and I agree with that. When you have Soler and Zionic guard, they've played well. You know, Pipkins has been a league average, if not better, right tackle, and Rashaun Slater is an elite left tackle. I know you don't have Corey Linsley, but as long as that group can block and at least not allow Micah Parsons to become a game wrecker and not allow Lawrence to feed off of all the attention you're giving Parsons, I think they can move the forward. I think they can do not maybe not what the forty nine ers were doing, because Kyle Shanahan's offense is just incredible, But I think they can do what what you know the forty nine ers did to some degree, and what the Cardinals were able to do, and that's block it up, scheme it up, and take advantage of a back end. Without Trevon Diggs, it's given up some big plays.
Speaker 4: So you alluded to it. Listen, just look at the quarterbacks that they face.
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones week one, Zach Wilson week two, Joshua Dobbs Week three, Mac Jones Week four, Brock Purty Wee five. Brock is in the probably the best situation in the NFL right now, but justin Herbert Isa's quarterback that they face to this point, and by the way, Kellen Moore is going to be calling the plays. Kellen Moore and Dan Quinn know each other very very well. Who has the edge in a in a game like this money, especially Kellen coming straight off the Cowboys coaching staff. I mean, it's not like this is two or three years from He knows this personnel like the back of his hand.
Speaker 1: I think what happens in those because you know, we have enough film now, you got five games to the Cowboys. The Cowboys have four games of the Chargers, so they kind of know what the offense looks like, what the defense looks like. If there's any advantage, it's tendencies. It's just being around that person and that coach and knowing, Okay, I kind of know where he likes to go in this situation. You know we're down, this is his gotta have it play on third down. That's the sort of stuff that having coached with somebody else will will produce, and so I don't think it's a because it's you know, even Kellen said it when he was hired. He said, look, we're gonna use a lot of the stuff that worked here and then I'll figure out what I want to add to it and how we'll adjust. So, if anything, maybe Kellen has a little bit of an advantage there because it's predominantly the exact same defensive roster that they had the last couple of years that Kellen Moore had practiced against, you know, day in day out all season long, kind of knowing what dan Quinn wants to do. So I guess if I were to give an edge, it'd be there. You know. The Chargers also, I think Chris I forgot to mention this is Austin Eckler's back, and we talked about some of the pass pro issues that josh Kelly and Isaiah Spiller have had this year, and specifically in that Miami game, those blitzes at the end of the game. You know, two of those were missed opportunities for Joshua to pick up the blitz and he chose wrong. You know, it's up to him to choose right, and he chose wrong. So we know Austin is one of the best pass pro backs in the league. That's going to help a lot. That's that I think is going to go a long way, specifically with the group that can get to the quarterback here. So, you know, for Kellen, I'm guessing I think he's still trying to account for the loss of Mike Williams. I think that's still something that he's going to have to figure out, you know, sort of beyond how do I take advantage of Dan kind of know what he likes to do. I think that's you know, riddle one. Real two is how do I get Austin Eckler back in here and use him as an ultimate weapon that I know he can be that creates just nightmares for defensive coordinators. I think those are probably his two. I would guess that's Priority one is solve Michael Parsons. Priority two is how do I get things to open up downfield so I can get this running game going? And three use Austin Eckler.
Speaker 3: Well, you're halfway there in slowing Michael Parsons with ra Shaun Slater, with Austin Eckler, getting that running game going. Knowing that the Cardinals and Niners ran for almost a combined four hundred yards.
Speaker 4: You saw it Austin did in Week one.
Speaker 3: Since Austin has been out of the lineup, I believe the Chargers are averaging like two point seven a carry. So getting Austin back and having a week to prepare for this Cowboys defense, how are you gonna use Austin? How are you gonna use Darius Davis? And you set up money? Just that riddle trying to figure out how you're gonna get the ball down the field without Mike Williams. Can Quintin Johnson step up? Who's going to kind of fill the void of Mike. We know Joshua Palmer had a big play a couple of weeks ago, but you know we're gonna have to see it at some point. I think this would be a nice spot for Quentin Johnson to be showcased a little bit if he can get open and Justin can trust them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think for the run game, you know, it's one thing not to run the ball against Minnesota. You know, Justin tore them apart because they chose to commit that many resources to the box and blitz on nearly every single snap. So just take advantage of it. If you can beat it, beat it. And he did, and they you know, picked him apart that way. The Raiders game is a little disconcerting just because you should have been able to run against the defense. The difference was they didn't see a light box. I mean, they really haven't seen light boxes, you know, outside of the Miami game. They're you know that they've been seven guys, eight guys they had. The Raiders had nine guys in the box repeatedly in that second half, so they got to open it. Uh. That's that's how you get the running game to work. You have got to force defenses to honor the deep ball. This is what happened last year, you know, when when Joe Lombardi just wouldn't push the ball or Justin I don't know, you know how you want to distribute sort of the responsibility of not being able to push the ball downfield. Now we know that's not the case this year. You know, Justin's averaging almost nine yards per attempt in air yards. That's you know, the highest of his career. So we know that that they're pushing the ball. A lot of that though, disappeared when Mike went down and they've got to be able to get it back, whether it's using tight ends and seams and pushing that, you know, or if it because you know, I'd like to see Gerald Everett get involved a little bit more just in the middle of the field. If you're going to commit that many resources the line of scrimmage, you should be able to find some soft spots and the centate. And I just want to see Justin take a few more shots. Just I feel like, even though the numbers say that yes, he is pushing the ball further down, there's a couple if you just go back through the film, there's a couple of slug gos in there that he just does allow them to develop. You know, he's already moved on and it's like, well, you know what the route is. You know, there was one Mike Williams one against Tennessee that jumps out at me. It's like, you know that he's running a slug So you got to wait for the slant to become a go and before you move off of that. And so I think that's something that we talked about repeatedly last year, right that Justin such a fast processor and can get through his reads so quickly that he just wants to find that first one that's open right away. And I think you have to sort of coach him into the let's breathe, you got a good offensive line, let's let the play develop, and let's see if we can get a couple of these that we dial up to pay off. So there was one for Josh as well, and he just missed the pass. Remember, and Palmer had talked about that after the Raider game. He's like, I'm so happy I got that second one because we missed the first one where he was open. So I think it's important for them to go back through all of those plays and say, hey, I know you picked up six here, but let's let's just hang here for a second, you know, or start there and then let's go here, you know, work your progressions in a different manner, so we can see if that if what we're dialing up for that shot play is paying off.
Speaker 3: I think that's the most intriguing part of Monday Night is seeing how this offense can kind of get back on track and in sync and find ways to get the ball down the field, especially looking at that second half against the Raiders where nothing was going so a couple of weeks to prepare for Dallas. Let's take a quick break. We'll touch on the Chargers defense. Hey Chargers fans, you want to eat? Uber Eats now available for in stadium pickup. Order all of your stadium favorites from your seat with the Uber Eats app. Just set your location to Sofi Stadium, select your favorites and you'll receive a notification.
Speaker 1: When your order is ready for pickup.
Speaker 3: There are many mouth watering options in Sofi Stadium. Let the stadium rumble, not your stomach. Go Chargers, and of course, a big thank you to our partner Microsoft Surface, the official sideline technology provider laptop of the NFL and the Los Angeles Chargers that provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both.
Speaker 4: On and off the field.
Speaker 3: Check out the powerful Surface Pro nine, combining the power of a laptop with the flexibility of a tablet at surface dot com. So money I mentioned this Dak Prescott perhaps one of the worst games of his career last Sunday night in San Francisco. San Francisco makes everybody look bad, but Dak, coming off a three interception performance, ceede Lamb's questions about him getting going, and you obviously Tony Pollard in the backfield. Where do you start in attacking this Cowboys offense? If your Brandon Staley.
Speaker 1: Well, I start with Terrence Steele because he has given up seventeen pressures, two sacks, six quarterback hits and pressure rate that sniffing ten percent, so much less we've talked about, yeah, against the Raiders with Illuminor who had very similar numbers. Start there. I think that's kind of attack the weak spot. And that's you know, whether that's tu Ley or Joey if he's healthy, or Khalil Mack. Let's start there, and let's see if you can take advantage of that and force Dak into some more you know, some more problems. It kind of goes back to what we said about the Raiders. You know, you had you get two things. You got to take care of Max Crosby and DeVante Adams, and if you can do that, you should win the game. You know, force them to beat you, you know, force them to beat you left handed, don't give him the right. So if the right is Ceedee Lamb and Micah Parsons, it starts there and you take away, you take away Micah obviously with hope, hoping that he rushes opposite Rashaan Slater and he can hold his own. Or you double, you get tight ends, you get multiple tight ends. You make sure Roustin Eckler is always on Micah Parson's side and has his eyes on him at all time if he's staying in you know, it's those things. In the case of dak you make sure cd Lamb that's where he wants to go. You make sure cd Is is taken care of. Tony Poller doesn't hasn't quite had that season that they had hoped, you know, once they moved on from Zeke and flipped him the keys. He's only got six explosives and of those, four of them are barely over ten yards. So that's that's something that they're trying. I would imagine that's what Mike McCarthy wants to get going against this team. Let's see if we can get our run game established, much like Josh McDaniel's try to do with Josh Jacobs, and they did a great job of holding it down, you know, And that's also happened in Tennessee with Derek Henry, right, and they did a great job of keeping it in check. So let's see if they can do that again. And I think very similar to what we saw in Minnesota, you know, where their run game did get going. Everyone's like, wow, how this team only has four, you know, rushes over five yards? Why is it going? Because they don't want Justin Jefferson to beat him and he was doubled the entire game. Now he did burn him, you know, for that fifty three yarder and ultimately ended up getting quite a few explosive plays, but that was their priority, was making sure that Justin Jefferson or at least trying to slow him down. Ultimately, it didn't work. He ended up with nearly one hundred and fifty yards in that touchdown, but for the most part, so much of that came on that one play. I think that's that's something to keep in mind, is I'm sure they're going to try to get Tony Pollard going. He is rushing for over four per carrie. He has just two rushing touchdowns the majority of his runs and every single, every single one of the explosives came in the airb gap. So he's going to try to run between the tackles which means it's an Austin Johnson Sebastian Joseph Day game and Eric Hendricks and Eric Hendricks and Kenneth Murray game as well. To make sure you're be a sound tackler. I feel comfortable with Tullian Khalil set in the edges, but that's not really what he does. He's he's trying to gash you. So that's I know, that's kind of a lot. I'm sort of ping ponging all over the place, but I think attack Terrence Steele. Make sure Ceedee Lamb does not beat you, because that's what Dak wants to do. And then you know that the interior of that line and the interior of the defense linebackers, defensive tackles just sound tackling. So Tony doesn't have an opportunity to have one of those Tony Pollard two hundred yard two touchdown games. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Pollard eight carries for twenty nine yards against the forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: Ceedee Lamb four for forty nine on just five targets. You saw the Raiders. The running game.
Speaker 3: Wasn't really going with Josh Shakers, but they got him going through the air. I think he had eighty one receiving yards in that game. So Tony Pollard a similar back who can get going in the passing game. But you know, the week before you mentioned, you know, the Patriots are just a mess right now. They won thirty eight to three over New England, and I'm looking at the Cowboy stats here, Tony Pollard just eleven for forty seven. Jake Ferguson was was your leading receiver, Michael Gallup. So it's not necessarily justin Jefferson and Jordan Addison and Devontae Adams that you're checking. It's an interesting offense because you know, you lose the tight Endalton Show to Houston. And I think Cavante Turpin got hurt in that game, if I'm not mistaken, the speedster from TCU that brought the charges in the preseason last year.
Speaker 4: So I think Pollard and Ceedee Lamb are.
Speaker 3: The two guys that you can't let get off in this game against the against the Cowboys, Bunny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you look at targets and you know it's it's pretty balanced. You know, Ceed's got thirty nine, which is the most for his twenty eight receptions. But remember Michael Gallup's kind of coming back off that injury. So he's been eased into it a little bit more slowly, but he's starting to become a big part. And he's got some speed. He's a good player, you know, and he's got twenty four targets. Like you met Brandon Cooks twenty We know what he can do with speed, those explosive plays, and I think that's that's something this team and you know they I don't remember how many they had. I think it was four. I think it was four explosive plays against the explosive passing plays against the Raiders, but two of those were Josh Jacobs. One just disaster of mistackling, you know, on that in nineteen that they allowed him to get twenty one. So you're hoping that And I brought this up last week and I'll mention it again today. You know, the defense has gradually gotten better. You know, they have been asked to win a game. You know, they have been tasked with you need to hold the lead here in the final two minutes, and they've done it with interceptions both times. And now we just saw Dak who's got four interceptions, three of them last week. On the season. You know, that's promising that Asante has, you know, become that player where you expect him to make. You know, we were used to that since his rookie year. He's a gambler. You know, he has some issues in coverage, but he's also exceptional at others and if he can face the quarterback, he's very good it kind of feeling out what's coming his way. He's got a very good mind that way. You know, where he struggles is if his back is to the quarterback and he's got a track and try to stick with a receiver step for step. That's where he struggles. But so I I'd love to see, you know, kind of more schemes that put him in that position where he is facing you know, the quarterback a little bit more zone. If you're now comfortable, J. C. Jackson is gone a lowie, Gilman is back, Derwin is back. Okay, Well now I'm a little more comfortable knowing if I want to play quarters and I want to play a too high shell, I'm comfortable that these guys know what their leverages are, they know what their assignments are, they know who's being passed off and who's running with who, and like that's that's I think something that I wouldn't mind seeing. You know, see if you can get into Dak's head and make it get an early interception, get an early turnover, and try to kind of get that clockwork and then speed it up, you know, for the remainder of the game. So that's you know, because of the health. I'm hopeful of that. You know, we saw we saw Dean Marlow. I thought excel. I thought he played a great game, a real solid game against the Raiders. So now if you can play that too high shell, you know, in a dime and Derwin's out there freelancing is almost a lot linebacker, you know, that's something that can really create some issues for the Cowboys. So there's and I got a lot of hope for now that everybody's healthy in the secondary, you're settled with your rotation, Let's see if you can, you know, kind of get Brandon Staley to do what he came here to do, and that's coordinate a defense that creates turnovers, that does not allow explosive plays. That's the whole idea of the Vic Fangio defense. You know, the quarters and the too high you're supposed to keep everything in front of you, So keep it in front of you and and force them to have these ten twelve, thirteen, seventeen play drives if they want to score a touchdown, and you hope you can create a mistake on one or two of them.
Speaker 3: It was encouraging to see the play of Marlow and Lane a couple of weeks ago in the absence of yeah, of Derwin and ALOHI you get those guys back, and you know, I saw an interesting quote from Michael Davis about just not really knowing who was going to start at the beginning of the year with him and JC, and I have to imagine I'd love to get your thoughts on just the fact that now that we know Jac's gone, Michael Davis can just maybe take a breath and say, hey, this is my starting job. Now I don't have to worry about anything but just playing ball. I think that debt provides a nice reset for the secondary getting these guys back, but also just kind of the comfort of knowing that, hey, this is my side of the football field and I'm not looking over my shoulder anymore.
Speaker 1: I think so much of it, Chris is just how how many rules there are in Brandon's defense. How many different things you have to follow and adjustments that you have to make. You know, he likes to confuse, you know, that's what he did against Aidan O'Connell against the Raiders. There is just a ton of pre snap movement and masking and trying to muddy the picture for him. So when you're when you're on it for a series and then you're not, and then you're back in and then oh, I've been sitting for the entire third quarter and now I'm coming in the fourth and what's my leverage here? What am I? You know, that's if you're out there the whole time. I feel like you can create that continuity. You know what the rules are, you know what your assignment is on any given play when it's called. And I think that's sort of to me, that's important. That's important if you're going to run this defense. You know, with Gus it was simple. It's like, I believe in you guys. This is what we do. We don't blitz. I rush for you guys. Are we're playing Cover one or Cover three and this is what we do. Let's go get it, you know, go make plays. That's not Brandon it's you know, it's cover six, it's quarters, it's passing guys off. Am I supposed to pass her, Am I supposed to run with him? You know, Like you think about that third and nineteen, Kenneth Murray just got stuck. He was in the wrong spot and that left middle flat was left wide open, and then you have two misstackles and that's how you gained twenty one yards on a third and nineteen. Because just there's so many rules you have to follow. So to me, that's what comes out of no JC is these guys can be out there together as long as they're healthy the whole time and know exactly what their assignment it's are and what they're supposed to do to execute a defensive play call, How do you.
Speaker 3: Deploy Derwin now that he's bag money.
Speaker 1: Look, I think he's best closer to the ball, you know. I think DJ said something on the air that rings so true. It's like, you know, he can do everything. He's that player. He's that good. He's capable of doing everything. But that doesn't mean that's the best way to use him. The best way to use him is to get him as close to the football is possible. It's it's blitzing, it's chipping the tight end, it's putting them in the slot over ceed lamb and using you know, his physicality and his strength to bust him up a little bit and to make make the day a little bit longer. So to me, that's that's the best way to use him. I'm not saying that he's a box exclusively a box safety. What I'm saying is he's just Derwin is exceptional. When he's close to the ball, that's where I want him. I don't want him fifteen yards deep, that second high safety with a lowie Gilman without the ability to impact the play on every single snap. So I'd love to see more blitz is he's so good at timing up his blitz you know that I would like to see more of that. So that's what I would do. You know, I don't know if I'm I don't know what Dean Marlow looks like in practice. If they have the confidence to put him up there, you know, and trust him, I would like to think they do. You know, I don't know how much stock they put into the aid and O'Connell quarterback raiders offense, you know, and all the pressure that they were getting on him. You know, when it comes to to Dak and a pretty darn good offensive line, save what Terrence Steele's kind of shown so far this season.
Speaker 4: Just look at the AFC.
Speaker 3: West Man like Jimmy g comes back inexplicably, Devonte Adams get is like four targets. Right, They're two and three. They play the Patriots next week. Raiders, I don't think are scaring anybody in the AFC. The Broncos are done right, They're ready to rebuild. I think Randy Gregory's out the door now. It sounds like a lot of guys could be on the market. So you know, you lose the Kansas City Thursday night, you best believe the more guys going to be out the door going around the AFC. The South, you lose to the Titans, but everybody's kind of middling in the South. The Bengals are kind of resurging at this point. I think some expect them to kind of regain their form of the last couple of years. Baltimore's up and down, Pittsburgh's offense is not great. Cleveland, you don't know what's gonna happen with Deshaun Watson their defense is good. The Jets are a mess offensively, even though they beat the Broncos. The Patriots are done, and then you got Miami in Buffalo. So you know, the first two weeks couldn't have gone worse for the Chargers. But you get to two and two A, you're by and it's almost like, okay, you have everything in front of you. It doesn't matter what anybody else is doing but money. These next seven days, from from Monday night to Sunday and arrow ahead, it's gonna tell us a lot about this team. You mentioned that there's some there's some hay to gain. I guess after Dallas and Kansas City, with games like Chicago and the Jets coming up, and you mentioned the Patriots and the Packers, teams you can you could definitely beat on the road. But at some point you're gonna have to take control of your season. You're gonna have to show people that hey, we can win against the best in the NFL.
Speaker 4: We can win convincingly.
Speaker 3: But we're still waiting for that that one victory that's a little bit more decisive than.
Speaker 4: What we're used to seeing here in recent games.
Speaker 3: So I just look at the next you know, two games against high quality, super Bowl caliber opponents and say, hey, if you can win these two games, people are gonna talk about you, and maybe that's the leaping off point you need.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't. It's not. You can't tank in the NFL like you can in the NBA. It's just too violent of a game. Guys will get hurt. It's not it's not something you can do. But what you can do is adjust your roster accordingly. So just pull up the Bronch You mentioned the Broncos, right, So I pull up their schedule. They got Kansas City twice in the next three weeks, right this short week on Thursday night at Arrowhead, and then they get him again on the twenty ninth at home before thereby, and that's right at the trade deadline. So like to me, I think about how, for whatever reason, no matter how good they've been and how bad the rest of the division has been, the Chargers just seem to split. You know, they have not been able to sweep the Broncos, to sweep the Raiders. So they're one in, you know, they're one and zero in the division. Now they beat the Raiders, and now they get a chance to beat that you like. To me, that's still the most important goal. You know, don't put yourself in play for a wild card you have no idea, Like you said, if the Bengals are going to catch fire, if the Jaguars are are ready to take that step, if the Colts are are gonna be a viable player, because they've got an NFC an AFC South schedule that's got some question marks. You never know what the Titans are. They're great one week, they're horrible the next. Can they find themselves a rhythm? So if you can take that out of play and take care of the division, to me, that's where that that game against the Chiefs, because they have not looked dominant yet. They just they just haven't they They they're wide receivers have left a lot to be figured out. You know, sky Moore was supposed to be the replacement for Tyreek Hill, this fast, explosive player that's gonna run those quick slants and get a ton of yard after catch, and it's clear that Mahomes is just not comfortable with him. You know. It feels like the most comfortable receiver is Justin Watson. That's his guy, you know. So it's like that's Marquez Valdez Scantlet's barely getting two targets per game. You know, Kelsey's banged up. Let's see what that looks like like. And we know how well Derwin tends to play him the last game against the Chiefs last season, notwithstanding you know when Kelsey put it on him. But we know that that tends to be a good matchup. So I think there's I feel like there's that opportunity is still there. At two and two. You can still sweep the Broncos, sweep the Raiders. That's four wins right there. You know, can you get a win against the Chiefs and put yourself back in play? You know, for they've done it, Go, let's go. The last two years, Chris, they have played the Chiefs with the division in the balance where they get that win. Last year, they get that win on that I don't remember if it was a Thursday or a Sunday night. I think it was a whatever it was. They get that win and now the division's in play, and that's something I think they just have to try to get over that hump. Win the division don't have to play three road games in order to get to the Super get that try to get that buy, you know, and you can do that by winning the division. And they're playing so many teams that are going to be in the city. That's what's great about it is it's there now. Like you said at the start of the pod, it's up to them to take advantage of it. But they play Buffalo, they play the Chiefs, they play the Ravens, like all of these teams that are going to be in play for their their division, they're going to play them. They're going to have an opportunity to win the head to head. You know, they already lost the one to the Titans, they lost the one to Miami. So this is where they got to start kind of, you know, sort of performing that calculus of how do we get that buy, how do we get that or at least get a home game in week one and maybe home games and you know, if we got to play the wild card home games in week one and week two, you know, that's that's still there, that is still available to them. And considering how close those games were against Miami had to lead with five minutes left in the game despite how poorly the defense had played throughout and Tennessee where you're up to touchdowns and you just let it get away from you, Like, so it's there. I'm just hoping they had a chance to figure it out through the by So.
Speaker 3: I recognize close doesn't count, but nobody plays the Chiefs closer than Justin Herbert. You know those two games, I think it was a Sunday nighter last year and a Thursday night or the year before.
Speaker 4: The Thursday night er.
Speaker 3: I specifically remember, like if they won that game, they were in the driver's seat for the AFC West because they had the Texans that was the COVID game and ended up losing that game. But you get so close against this team, This Chiefs team looks like the one that you could potentially dethrone because of all the points that you mentioned. That offense has been a little bit out of sync. Nobody really on the outside scares you that much. Travis Kelcey's been banged up, that defense is playing pretty good, and obviously Chris Jones is back in the mix. But this is one of those opportunities they're going to have to seize, and you know, Justin Herbert has to be seething at playing this team as close as they've played them and coming on the short end of the stick. And you know we're talking about Kansas City now it's two weeks away. Obviously, the Cowboys are the focus on Monday Night, but it's just this stretch money that I think really can.
Speaker 4: Flip the narrative nationally.
Speaker 3: Not that that really matters, but I think more so for that locker room to have a little bit of belief that hey, we're on the track. We're four and two after these games against the Cowboys and Chiefs, and now we can really make our hay and have the inside track for the ASC West, a division that the Chiefs have dominated I guess since twenty fifteen. Right, So at some point it's going to have to happen. The Chargers of the closest team to making that happen. We know the Broncos are Raiders, aren't going to get it done this year in the West.
Speaker 4: It's up to the Chargers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, you know, for like you said, you can't look past the Cowboys. To me, it's it's imperative for them to be three and three. I think at two and four that's when you start pressing, and you know, you get the Bears. I think it's because you know, you're alternating home and road. I just want to make sure I got it right. So I think it's Bears than at Jets.
Speaker 4: I think you're for the rest of the year, right, you're alternating.
Speaker 1: Right every So, if you're two and four, are you pressing against the Bears? Are you? Are you just a little too tight knowing? Okay, we lose this and the season very well could be over, you know, much like it was. Remember when they went to Tennessee lost that game on those Melvin Gordon fumbles at the goal line. They were two and five, and it just felt likeugh, man, that was the game. You know, that was the game. You had to be three and four and you don't want them to press press against the Jets, and then you got the Lions coming in. You know, if now you're four and four and you got the Lions come in, it's like, oh, are we're going to go in for five hundred again? And is this kind of what we are all season? So it's not the end of the season if you lose them both. To me, I would just hate to go that far below five hundred at that point of the season. You know, get to that, get through those two worst case at three and three, and then you feel a little bit better because you get that the schedule eases up. You know, you're not playing two teams that most people have in the top five in their power rankings. So you know, I'd love to see that split, especially coming off of bye with the Cowboys. And look, if you go back to last year and really kind of the last two years when it comes to San Francisco, teams struggle the next week because of how physical that forty nine Ers team is. You know, it tends to have a carryover effect. And we saw it last year with Miami with the Chargers where they were still beat up and Cowboys got beat up in that game. You know, they got beat up pretty good. So it's it's a very physical game that the forty nine Ers play and it can take its toll on you. So I think you take advantage that the Cowboys catch a break because they get the extra day of rest, which goes a long way. But you know, the Chargers are well rested, Cowboys are still going to be feeling that game a little bit, so you hope that they can take advantage, you know of that, And then like I said, for whatever reason, the schedule tends to favor the Chiefs in these matchups, you know, whether it's a Thursday night in Kansas City or coming off a mini by like they are this week playing tonight as we do this on a Thursday, and then you know, getting that extra three days of rest, while the Chargers only get six days of rest and have to put a travel day in there, so it's not ideal. I think what I'm getting at here in a very long circuitous path is feel like you gotta win this game on Monday night. This is this, This is a big one. This is a big one to be three and two instead of two and three going to Cincinnati and are we going to Kansas City in a short week.
Speaker 3: Our buddy James tweeted this to us the Niners coming off a game against the Niners, their opponents last year zero to fifteen. There you go zero to fifteenth this year. I think the Steelers got crushed in Week one, ended up winning their.
Speaker 4: Game in Week two.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what the record is this year, but it just goes to your point from last year. They beat teams up Dallas with a bit of an advantage with that extra day, and you know, the sky is falling in Frisco right now, so you know that they're going to come out with their hair on fire on National.
Speaker 4: TV Monday Night Football.
Speaker 3: And then we have the whole Taylor Swift thing. You know, is Tailor going to be at the game against the Chargers in ten days? You know, that's another element, a layer to this that. I don't think anybody who's expecting.
Speaker 1: Money no, no, I did not anticipate having to come up with a bit of analysis for that and whether or not the Chargers players are going to be distracted by the idea that arguably one of the most famous people on the planet Earth is going to be in the exact same stadium where they are playing, watching them.
Speaker 3: Money and DJ be distracted, you know, if the box is right next to the the radio booth.
Speaker 4: That's that's the question I have.
Speaker 1: I will not I I don't think I will be Yeah, I think if I you know, when you when you come into the presence of superstardom somebody that's that famous, you tend to feel it. You can feel their presence. So I think if maybe I bumped into her in the hallway, that would be a bit strange. You know, I think you would feel that.
Speaker 3: Would you put a picture? Do you put a picture up in the booth like you did with Yeah?
Speaker 1: Right the snow Man exactly quick quick I could. I could bring Jerry Reid with me, although that did not work in Tennessee, so I don't want it to you know, be zero in two. I did not bring it to Minnesota. Yeah, maybe we get a selfie, take a photo printer, print it out and put one up of us in Taylor. So she's in our booth and we got that juju with us, So yeah, I would imagine it. I don't think she's got anything else to do. I mean, her movie just came out, right, so she's she's unless she's out promoting that. My guess is she'll be there on that Sunday and we'll the pressure to perform in front of one of the world's greatest performers of our time and space.
Speaker 3: Right now, so you've been prepping all week for this one, Let's just get you out of here on this calling a primetime game has to be pretty special for you and DJ. What do you think is going to decide it?
Speaker 4: For the charges?
Speaker 3: We talked about everything, but if you had to kind of distill it down to one or two things.
Speaker 4: What would they be.
Speaker 1: Well, just looking at the two losses the Cowboys have this year, it was even though we don't think of the Cardinals offense as super effective, it was offenses that were able to maintain the ball, to possess the ball, to not allow the Cowboys to jump up early on them and let that pass rush pin their ears back, knowing that teams had to pass the ball in order to get back into the game, that they were too far back. So to me, it's and the Chargers we know, are very good at this, whether it's in a win or a loss, they will keep it close. So keeping it close, keeping their offense, you know, forcing their offense to to not be able to just take the air out of the ball and run it a bunch of times, but have to run you know, Dak Press got out there into danger trying to take advantage of that on your passer. So I know it's not the most you know, intricate plan, but I think have your offense be successful, put some points up on the board, get the Cowboys behind, you know, force them to chase points, you know, not sit on a lead so to me, that's a big part of it, a big part of why it got away from them in San Francisco. You know, it wasn't just how dominant the forty nine Ers defense was. It was that offense put up a ton of points quickly and they just could not recover. It was too hard for them to try to get back into it. I don't think very highly of Mike McCarthy as a play caller. I don't feel like you're you know is when you watch that game back and you just see the offense that Kyle Shanahan has run, and it's probably not fair to coach McCarthy, but because he's going against a dude that's just so freaking good at play calling. But just the difference is night and day that the gap was massive, and so you know, let's let's make this a Kellen Moore game. You know, they tried to. They made Kellen a scapegoat coming out of that forty nine Er game, you know, and that's what that's that's all that was. That was a complete scapegoat. Our offense couldn't get anything going against the forty nine Ers in this playoff game. We blame Kellen Moore I'm taking control of it. Our defense was good enough, the offense wasn't, So you know, get it for coach More. You know, go go out there and prove that that that play card is nothing more than a Denny's menu in McCarthy's hands, and get Kellen some some big plays and put some points on the board.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 3: I also agree with possessing the football is going to be important, and we want Kellen to air it out. But I think Austin Eka running the football and getting that running game going, keeping Dallas' defense on the field, and you know, keeping Justin her on the field because you know Dallas is going to try to establish the run and keep Justin in that offense off the field. So possessing the football is going to be big. And you know, the primetime matchup is going to be Parsons Slater, the guys who were drafted right next to each other a few years ago. And you know, again, Trent Williams, you're right best tackle in football. I think Rashawn is a close second. And that's gonna be a big part of what the Chargers offense needs to do. Because still Max Crosby wrecked that game a couple of weeks ago. You can't have Micah Parsons do it money because that's going to wreck your offense.
Speaker 1: And they didn't account for Max enough. I thought they could have devoted a lot more resources to help Trey out. You know. Now he did rush against Slater and had some success, but that goes back to what we talked about last week. I think Rashawn got hurt in that game. He got bent back on that sack from Max that came from the other side immediately because Pipkins had no help and they just met at the quarterback at the same time and he got bent back badly and he was not the same after that. So hoping the bye week has helped him out, and if in fact Micah wants to try it, that Slater's there to stone him. But if not, it's going to be super important for that old line to be schemed up to figure out. And again I think just go back and watch the San Francisco game with all the different ways they approached slowing him down. Just again, three tight end sets, pass pro from the backs, you know, leaking the full back out. Micah thinks that he's got a quick pathway to the quarterback, no use check has just blown by you on purpose, and now he's wide opening the flat for a touchdown. Like there were just so many different ways that they were able to keep the Cowboys on their heels. Do not let them play on their toes. They let Max Crosby play on his toes, and that's you can't do that. They're just these players are too good. Crosby's too good. Micah Parsons is too good to be playing moving forward. How to get them to think about moving backward with a like you said, quality run game. Establish that run forced them to defend all phases of your offense. Get some light boxes, take advantage of them.
Speaker 3: And money if Joey does come back, you got Joey, Khalil, and Tooley on the field together. The Raiders did not double team Khalil Mack as much as they said they they added bodies to to try to double them.
Speaker 4: They did not. Six sacks was the result. So can Khalil have.
Speaker 3: A repeat performance or at least get a couple of sacks? And and how does Joey react after being off for a couple of weeks? And obviously Tooley's just doing his thing. So I think that that Chargers pass rush getting after Dak. You mentioned the pressures that Steel has given up. That offensive line has been pretty banged up. I think this year, so an opportunity to get after Deck.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely. You know, if Joey's healthy, that's a huge boon. It's been fun to watch those three out there. At the same time, it's been real fun because that's you know Tooley's exceptional at free lance and we talked about that last week. You know, just how sometimes he's going off script and he's really good at it and he sees things out there, and you know when you've got to account for those three and those being three of the four and the ability and you know, especially they had it. They had him out there with Morgan Fox a couple of times, and I got four legitimate pass rushers on the defensive line and guys that can play interior defensive line, you know, defensive interior tackle or you know whatever. I'm stumbling all over my words, but yeah, that's that's a big boost. If you can get Joey back. I think the big question is, you know what's better is it? Is it getting Joey to one hundred percent against the Chiefs or is it getting him out there to ensure you do everything you possibly can to get this win. You know, that's something they'll have to figure out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll know more, You guys will know more because we're taping this on a Thursday morning, So check the injury report and we'll see what Joey's status is as we get closer to Monday night. That's going to do it for us. Always appreciate you guys listening, watching. You can watch us on YouTube on Friday mornings. The podcast posts audio on Thursday, and we'll keep it rolling. We'll get you ready for Kansas City next week. In the meantime, enjoy the game against the Cowboys for money.
Speaker 4: I'm Chris. This has been Chargers