Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin in the nation's capital. Steve Scalise has pulled out of the race for House Speaker. Bloomberg's Amy Morris has the latest from Washington.
Speaker 4: Representative Scalise simply didn't have the votes.
Speaker 5: I withdrawing my name as a candidate for the.
Speaker 4: Speaker does a need struggle only deepened divisions within the party, prolonging the houses in ability to address an approaching fiscal deadline and respond to the war in the Middle East.
Speaker 6: It's much bigger than me, and it's much bigger than anybody else.
Speaker 7: And nobody's going to use me as an excuse.
Speaker 5: To hold back our ability to get the House opened again.
Speaker 8: We still need to get a speaker.
Speaker 4: It is not clear where Republicans go from here. They are going to meet again later this morning to discuss what to do next in Washington. I'm Amy Morris, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thank you. Now let's turn to the latest and the war between Israel and Hamas. More than twenty eight hundred people have been killed on both sides.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: Israel has called for an unprecedented evacuation of all civilians from Gaza City ahead of a likely ground invasion. This is Israeli Defense Forces spokesman Jonathan Conricus out of.
Speaker 5: An understanding that there are civilians here whom are not our enemy, as we do not want to target them. We are asking them to evacuate so that we will be able to continue to strike military targets belonging to Hamas in the Gaza strip.
Speaker 2: IDF spokesman Jonathan Conriquez says the United Nations has twenty four hours to move its staff. The UN says the order is impossible. It's urging Israel to reverse its decision. Israel's military says it struck seven hundred and fifty military targets in northern Gaza overnight. Hama says the Israeli bombardments killed thirteen of its hostages. The militant group kidnapped at least ninety seven people during last Saturday's attack.
Speaker 3: Well Karen, Secretary of State Antony Blincoln is traveling now to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and other allied countries in the Middle East as part of US effort to keep the conflict from spreading further.
Speaker 1: Blinken spoke in Tel Aviv yesterday.
Speaker 7: The message that I bring to Israel is this, you may be strong enough on your own to defend yourself, but as long as America exists, you will never ever have to.
Speaker 1: We will always be there by your side.
Speaker 3: Man Secretary Blincoln's trip to Israel comms as the US reaches an informal understanding with Katar to hold off on distributing six billion dollars in oil revenue that Iran was allowed to access under a prisoner exchange deal.
Speaker 2: Well Nathan, Iran's Foreign minister, is warning that militant groups back by Tehran could open a new front against Israel if at tax on civilians continue. The Foreign Minister will meet today with the leader of the militant group, has Belah in Lebanon, and Hamas called for a day of rage across the Muslim world and mass protests against Israel today. In response, Israel's National Security Council and Foreign Ministry warned Israelis and Jews around the world to be vigilant and stay away from demonstrations.
Speaker 3: Let's turn back to markets now, Karen, Big banks will be in focus as we close out this trading week. JP Morgan, Chase, City Group, and Wells Fargo report earnings this morning, and we get a preview from Bloomberg's Charlie Pellett.
Speaker 10: Those banks are poised to write off more bad loans since the early days of the pandemic, as lenders contend with consumers struggling to keep up with rising interest rates and a commercial real estate industry that is grappling with work from home and its fallout. Bank stocks are hovering near the lowest level of the year, a market back in May following First Republic banks collapse. Among the other challenges are new regulatory proposals that would impose higher capital requirements on banks in New York. Charlie Pellett, Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Radio, all right, Charlie, thank you.
Speaker 2: We have an update on two perposed takeovers. First, the state of California is preparing a lawsuit to blank Kroeger's twenty four point six billion dollar acquisition of Albertson's. The FDC has been conducting its own review of the merger, which would combine the two biggest traditional supermarket chains in the US.
Speaker 3: On the flip side, Karen Microsoft's sixty nine billion dollar acquisition of Activision Blizzard's got an approval from the UK's competition watch dog, removing the final major global regulatory hurdle that stood in the way of the biggest gaming deal ever. This morning, the Competition in Market's Authority said Microsoft's restructured offer to sell some gaming rights to Ubersoft satisfied any competition concerns.
Speaker 2: It had and Nathan we continue to follow the trial of Sam benk Ben freed. His former girlfriend and former CEO of Alimtor Research, Caroline Ellison, wrapped up her testimony in the front trial, and Bloomberg's Tony Erren says the most exciting part of Ellison's appearance came at the very end.
Speaker 9: Both the prosecutors and the defense asked Caroline Ellison about a November twenty twenty two meeting with Alameda employees where she laid out the truth of what was going on. SBF Lawyer's got her to admit that she told the employees that she admitted that there was wrongdoing.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg's Tony Erin says that trial continues today with testimony from Zach Prince, the CEO of Block five, a company bailed out by FTX.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the latest on the autoworkers strike. Karen Ford says its offer of a twenty three percent raise to the union is the best it can do and that going any higher would hurt the company. The United Auto Workers escalated their nearly month old strike by walking out of Ford's largest plant this week when the automaker failed to sweeten its economic proposal.
Speaker 2: And Nathan Jeff Bezos is adding to a sprawling real estate empire. Sources say the Amazon founder has agreed to pay seventy nine million dollars for a seven bedroom a mansion in Indian Creek, a man made barrier island in the Miami area. It appears the world's third richest person got a discount. He paid about seven percent less than the listing price in May.
Speaker 10: And this is Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris. Amy, good morning, Thank you, Karen, Good morning.
Speaker 4: The US government will launch charter flights starting to date for any US citizens and their families who want to leave Israel. Bloomberg's at Nancy Lyons reports.
Speaker 11: The administration says it does not have an estimate of how many Americans want to leave, but National Security spokesman John Kirby says flights will be made available.
Speaker 12: United States government will arrange charter flights to provide transportation from Israel two sites in Europe.
Speaker 5: They're still working through some of the details of that.
Speaker 11: Most commercial airlines ceased flying into Israel following Saturday's attack. Kirby says they're also looking at evacuations by land and sea, though no concrete missions have been announced. In Washington, Nancy lyons Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 4: More than one hundred and fifty House lawmakers from both parties came together last night to hold a candlelight vigil at the US capital steps for the victims of the Hamas attack in Israel. Republican Representative And Wagner of Missouri.
Speaker 3: The civili slaughter of women, children, families is beyond.
Speaker 1: Belief. We will not stand for this in Congress.
Speaker 4: Representative Wagner says they stand with Israel and the eradication of Hamas. And we told you that Hamas is calling for a day of rage and mass protests today. Well, that's also prompted warnings for Israelis and Jews around the world to be vigilant, and as a result, the Striking Actors Union has canceled all pickets for today in Los Angeles and New York, as President Biden prepares to visit Philadelphia today to discuss his economic agenda. Shooting in a parking garage at the city's International Airport last night killed one police officer and injured another. Interim Commissioner John Stanford, there are multiple.
Speaker 9: Suspects that were involved in this situation, so I'm still trying to get some of the additional information on those other individuals that were involved, so we can get that information out a quickly as.
Speaker 1: We possibly can.
Speaker 4: Fully say, someone matching a suspects description was also transported to a local hospital and pronounced dead. Still not clear if that person is connected to the shooting. Former President Donald Trump is planning to return to his civil fraud trial in New York to watch Michael Cohen testify. Trump is currently in the middle of a two hundred and fifty million dollars civil fraud case. His former lawyer is expected to give two days of testimony next week. Global News twenty four hours a day, powered buy more than twenty seven hundred journalists and analysts in more than one hundred twenty countries. I Amy Morris, this is Bloomberg all.
Speaker 2: Right, Amy, thank you. While we bring you news throughout the day here on Bloomberg Radio. But now you can get the latest news on demand whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus apples, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Time now for the Bloomberg Sports Update. Here's John stash Hour, John.
Speaker 12: Darren Bray's and Phillies game four their NLDS in Philadelphia. There were four solo home runs hit in the game, and three of them by the field, So I'll not hitting.
Speaker 10: The airtep to left field pull our turns.
Speaker 13: That one is gonna be love good just under the Lycios Bakery side and left field. Trey Turner is three for three tonight. Eddie's given the Pills a two to one lead as the fireworks go up over the bill and right center field.
Speaker 12: Wn uIP Radio had the call that home run game fifth inning, the turner home run coming between two by Nick Castillanos. He had hit two in Game three Austin Reilly Homard for the Braves and the fourth inning, but Atlanta had only four other hits against six Philadelphia pitchers. The Phillies won the game three to one. They won the series three to one, and they're back in the National League Championship Series to play Arizona. The ALCS between Texas and Houston will get going on Sunday. Clayton Kershaw roughed up in Game one of the NLDS by Arizona and will the Dodgers Ace now retire?
Speaker 1: He's thirty five.
Speaker 12: Asked about it and he gave no comment. Had a great regular season with thirteen wins with two and a half ERA, but struggled in that postseason start Thursday Night Football, the Chiefs had to settle for four field goals, but they beat Denver nineteen to aid. Patrick mahomes thirty of forty three hundred yards, Travis Kelcey nine catches one hundred and twenty four yards. The Chiefs are five and one and the Broncos are one in five. John Staneshawer Bloomberg.
Speaker 7: Sports from coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, d C. Nationwide on Syrias exam the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager. The leadership vacuum on Capitol Hill just got more intense. Steve Scalise, who just barely won nomination from his Republican party, has now dropped his bid to be the next House Speaker. That leaves Congress unable to act not just on government spending, but on aid to Israel, as that country's war with Hamas appears now for a ground invasion of Gaza. For the latest on all this, we're joined by Bloomberg News Senior editor Bill Ferries.
Speaker 1: Bill, Good Morning.
Speaker 3: The frozen Congress really couldn't have come at a worse time, and now with Scalise out, it's tough to see a way out exactly.
Speaker 8: I mean.
Speaker 14: Steve Scalise's candidacy didn't last really more than twenty four hours. He's known as someone who can count votes, and I think he immediately saw after a few hours after he was picked that he didn't have the votes, and members were coming out, you had enough members saying that they would never vote for him. It's not clear that the Republican Party can get two hundred and seventeen votes for anybody at this point. Jim Jordan of course got I think ninety nine votes from his Republican colleagues, but I think he'll face some of the same challenges that Scalisee did, and that there will be at least four or five Republicans who will say no way. And that doesn't leave us with any clear Plan B or Plans SEE at this point.
Speaker 3: So it sounds as though if there were to be a Plan B or a Plan SEE, since it doesn't sound like there's enough Republican support for anyone that the Democrats might need to be the Plan B.
Speaker 1: Is that something that appears likely at this point.
Speaker 14: Well, it's it's an idea that two two top Republican chairmen who oversee foreign affairs issues, Mike Rogers, who's an Armed Services chairman, and Michael McCall, who runs the Foreign Affairs Committee, they've both proposed that that possibly they, you know, start talking to Democrats about what concessions they would need to make to get a leader approved on the floor. That's not something we've really seen in our you know, in our lifetimes.
Speaker 8: That kind of a negotiation.
Speaker 14: So it's not clear if the Democrats want to go down that path, but it shows, I think the kind of.
Speaker 8: Frustration that Republicans have at this point.
Speaker 14: I mean, it's it's total chaos and they don't see that's really a sign that they don't see anyone on their side of the party who could win unanimous support from the party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not to now.
Speaker 3: There was so much urgency behind an effort to get somebody to fill the speaker's chair, because not only do we have another government shutdown deadline coming up in the middle of next month, but now we have war between Israel and Hamas and this urgent effort to try to get more support to Israel. Is there any movement that can happen there without a speaker to move things along?
Speaker 14: Well, I mean there's a couple theoretical options which we might might move into the realm of reality before long. One is whether the House would vote to grant interim Speaker Patrick McHenry enough power to be able to pass a couple key bills or legislation, and I think Israel would be at the top of a lot of people's list now, both on the Publican side on the Democratic side. But you know, beyond that, it's getting very difficult to see how this kind of an aid package gets through. Some members for both parties have proposed up to two billion dollars in aid for Israel, but without a speaker, or without some sort of a key decision about the interim speaker mckenry, that's not going to go anywhere.
Speaker 3: And of course it does look as though we could be seeing a ground invasion in the Gaza Strip now, with Israel telling more than a million citizens in the northern Gaza Strip to evacuate. But I mean, this is one of the most heavily populated areas in the world, as you know, Bill, and we're hearing from the United Nations that this is impossible.
Speaker 1: So where does this go from here?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 14: So, the United Nations team in Gaza was told they had just before midnight, they were that they had twenty four hours to evacuate their staff, and they were told to help evacuate everyone who basically lives north of southern Gaza City that's one point one million people. The UN has said it's impossible to do that kind of an evacuation on such short notice, let alone, even if you had time, I think it would be very difficult. But it is the latest sign that the ground invasion is probably getting even closer.
Speaker 8: At this point. Egypt has said.
Speaker 14: That it would like to open a humanitarian corridor in the south on its border with Gaza, but it doesn't want to take have people crossing the border into Egypt. It wants to stend some aid in food aid, medical aid, water, things like that, but it doesn't want to become the recipient of a mass flood of refugees. So with the clock certainly appearing to be ticking in terms of where we are on this ground invasion, it's not clear that the situation on the ground is going to get any better anytime soon.
Speaker 6: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 6: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 6: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serious XM Channel one nineteen, the iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot com.
Speaker 1: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow.
Speaker 2: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak