Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Morning everybody, it's the j n V. Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guests in the building. Hold on the legendary.
Speaker 3: I see he got his Morgan State.
Speaker 4: Really bro, really bro.
Speaker 1: You know, I just you know, want to put my helmet man. Good morning, good morning, good morning, good morning. How y'all doing? Explain this to me?
Speaker 5: I know the Hampton Howard rivalry, but state, so every every every HBCU thinks it's the greatest HBCU that has ever been HBCU guys.
Speaker 4: Correct, the only real one.
Speaker 1: Is Morgan State.
Speaker 6: But then the other ones still feel like they are a Morgan State. So you have that Howard Hampton thing on more House thinks it's Morgan State.
Speaker 1: You know, fam you thinks it's Morgan State.
Speaker 6: And know this, I love those institutions, great institutions who turn out incredible people.
Speaker 3: But then nines, watch your mouth.
Speaker 1: Morgan State.
Speaker 3: I was good to go to Morgan State because that's the first school that's on the tour.
Speaker 1: You know your argument.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, I was gonna go to Morgan I was gonna go to you know, we go to Morgan Howard vs U Virginia and then Hampton Hampton. Right when I went to Morgan State, I remember it like it was yesterday. The first thing we go on that on the campus, well what you want to call it a campus?
Speaker 6: Oh no, you didn't, just because y'all got that little river running behind y'all little school.
Speaker 3: Little campus.
Speaker 2: And then you know what I seen on my dad scene, y'all playing craps on the steps.
Speaker 3: Now, my dad was like, this is the same.
Speaker 1: Thing as Queens.
Speaker 3: Why are you gonna leave Queens to come to Baltimore.
Speaker 6: That's the school you want to play craps on the steps, that's what to So mine was the complete.
Speaker 4: Object as soon as I seen the crowd, like this is the place for pace.
Speaker 6: This is definitely the place for me to get a degree. It was perfect made five years. Then five years served me well, the five years and Baltimo can do it for No, I ain't do it in full me if I didn't five.
Speaker 1: No, I did.
Speaker 6: I did my five and I was an r a man. I did everything you could do at school. I was the mascot one semester. I needed a gym credit. I needed a gym credit. They was like, you wanna go lift weights or you want to be the mascot. I said, man, give me the bear outfits I was.
Speaker 4: I was the most DC bed he ate I had on my new ballance.
Speaker 6: Because it was a raggedy suit. Listen, Charlomade, it was a raggedy suit.
Speaker 1: At the time.
Speaker 6: We didn't have the funding to get a new mascot outfit. At that time, Mortgas State was going through something, so they gave me the old one that they used to have and thet the head was perfect, the suit, the feet garbage. So I used to rock whatever the bed would come out rocking fresh, new bus, new butter tims, beefing broccole is what you want.
Speaker 1: And everybody who was the bed he fresh. Whoever the bed the freshest man we ever had.
Speaker 5: Honestly, if you walk on the HBCU campus and rolling dice schedule, you might not need to go to an HBC.
Speaker 2: Was like, this is the same thing I seen in Queens and I don't want my kid to, you know, rolling craps.
Speaker 4: But that was so what it is.
Speaker 1: We wasn't rolling crafts. That was a probability study.
Speaker 4: You wasn't your father.
Speaker 1: It wasn't your pops wasn't here.
Speaker 6: That was just a probability study I got from some kids in the engineering department.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about what's going on in in Morgan right now, Morgan State. You know there was a shooting there recently. Uh, you guys have canceled the homecoming and there was a lot going on. So have you reached back out to the school. How how is everything happening now? Because I know you're big when it comes to giving back to that school.
Speaker 6: So I was supposed to actually host our homecoming gala, which is the biggest fundraiser of the year. I host the gaily Year's shirt you know, tuxedo out, and that got postponed to December the eighth. The game, you know, all of the let's say this, the official homecoming got canceled.
Speaker 1: But Black people homecoming went on as plans.
Speaker 6: Oh, they were still part and they called it because the homecoming got canceled. Brunch because the homegum we got canceled. Day party because of the So we you know, you have thousands of people who were looking forward to this weekend. So they came down and had a great time and showed solidarity. You even after the shooting, you had mothers. There was a group of mothers who got together who were not didn't have students, didn't have kids in school, who came up just to show support for kids who were far away from home, who.
Speaker 1: Needed a mom. If you need a hug, if you need to ask a mom question real quick, we're standing right here. Wow.
Speaker 6: And so while you know the tragedy happened, and you know our prayers are with those students and their families and everybody affected, there's also this gigantic push of.
Speaker 1: Solidarity, this gigantic push of unity.
Speaker 6: This is a new Morgan State, and we're gonna stand together to shake off some of the old reputation, that rolling craps reputation that we had and move in a new positive way. When things like this pop up, it throws a monkey rich into the we're a new Morgan thing.
Speaker 1: So we came out even stronger. That's why I've been I've been orange and blue since that day.
Speaker 6: You know, my kids are walking around with the hats and everything else, and I'm screaming it out as much as I possibly can. These institutions. You know, I don't have to come on here and preach to you what an HBO means for our community. So you know, at this time in my life, I'm happy to be able to be there for my school.
Speaker 1: Whatever they need.
Speaker 6: They call me for anything, if the students need anything, my frat brothers need anything.
Speaker 1: They hit me up and like, let's go do X, Y and Z. Do you think they should have canceled on coming.
Speaker 6: I think it was a good call by doctor Wilson is an incredible leader for that school and with uh, let's imagine if he didn't cancer this black Mama ain't canceling.
Speaker 1: It's a tragedy.
Speaker 6: So he did the smart thing. He did the thing that someone in academia should do. Let's cancel this. Everybody else though, we went and partied and everybody had a great time yecause it's.
Speaker 1: All the events around homecomer. Yeah none, no, yeah, no, you ain't. You ain't canceling rare essence.
Speaker 6: You ain't canceling the go go because you know, you're not even supposed to have a go go in Baltimore in the first place.
Speaker 1: So the fact that you got a go go in Baltimore or we coming, and you're not canceling that you can't go Baltimore. It's too old.
Speaker 6: It's two different cities. So Baltimore, most of the country doesn't rip, doesn't know that. There is a unspoken rivalry between the African American community and Baltimore. In the African American community in DC with thirty miles of forty fifty miles a half hour a part, forty minutes apart, and for us growing up, Baltimore is a whole nother country.
Speaker 1: We don't even know that Baltimore is there. And for Baltimore, growing up, DC is a whole nother stay south and they country. They think that we country. We think that their country.
Speaker 6: And you very it's a field trip when you're growing up. Baltimore is a field trip unless you have family there. Baltimore is a field trip. You get their TV stations maybe you know, if you live outside the city, you get some of the TV stations.
Speaker 1: They got their own language, they own and so we have two. We grew up with two different.
Speaker 6: Like you said, cultures, different accents, music, food, we did, way we dress and the like. So when I got to Baltimore, there was no go go whatsoever. You did not don't even don't even bring that up in Baltimore now because of I think because of the twenty thirty years that DC has been heavy going to Morgan State making alliances in the city. My wife is from the West Side. First, let me say that my wife is from the West side of Baltimore. And when I married a Baltimore woman, the DC women.
Speaker 4: Like, hold on out, now, that's not what we're doing.
Speaker 1: I was like, Oh, that's what we do.
Speaker 6: You you don't sleep for her, you haven't had some of that that old bait that she served. She's got a crab boy for your ass that you you don't know nothing about. And so I think that there's there's there's slowly, but surely there's there's an alliance that has been coming between Baltimore and DC, at least the the the hard line has been softened. I won't say it is an alliance, but the hard line has been softened so that you can have a go go in d C. DC still is hardcore. We won't accept like Baltimore night but I love Baltimore club music, house music, I love I look. It's such an incredible and rich city that I have. So I gained so much respect for by going to Morgan State and then by having friends who were from Baltimore, and eventually I met that woman and then that just deepened, you know.
Speaker 1: My appreciation for Baltimore.
Speaker 6: I actually just opened a business in Baltimore's substance abuse treatment facility in the city of Baltimore.
Speaker 1: My wife and I, you know, I have a degree in college in case.
Speaker 3: Okay, and.
Speaker 1: So we did that. So I had that's me and Baltimore.
Speaker 6: And and for most people, you there's a documentary uh oh god, I wish I could remember the name about Baltimore house music that goes into their culture. And then there's a there's tons of documentaries about go Go, you see our culture, but you never hear about this rivalry that we had that goes on.
Speaker 1: I think it's the stupidest thing ever.
Speaker 6: I think that the two communities, African American communities in those major cities. DC's a major city, Baltimore is a major city.
Speaker 1: I think we need to come. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Is there anything that brings you all together? I would think like comedy, right, because I think your comedy underrated. Comedy is an underrated comedy scene in Baltimore, DC. Because you got Dave, you got Donall, so here quick just hilarious.
Speaker 1: So here's how we feel about that. The same applies. So so it's like this growing up.
Speaker 6: Anything coming out of Baltimore you just automatically and if you in Baltimore, any thing coming out of DC, you just automatically acts, not eight you don't know them. I learned that from my bottom, my Baltimore goons.
Speaker 1: What's up with yid? I ain't saying no names.
Speaker 6: Let's up a child, but I know some straight goods and you know Baltimore, but people don't.
Speaker 4: You know, the wire was real.
Speaker 6: Let's let's let's keep let's keep it the buck. The wire was real, and the the climate in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: It's it's serious. It's very very serious.
Speaker 6: So there's gonna be it's gonna take thirty forty years for that alliance to pop off.
Speaker 1: Let's keep it rid? Can I keep it rid?
Speaker 6: You know how niggas is. If you're talking about black folks who are setting their ways, who have you know? We are slow to change. Black folks are very very slow to change. And unless you have a reason to change, a very straightforward reason to change, ain't.
Speaker 1: Ain't gonna be that much change.
Speaker 6: Big shout out to Baltimore, and I see that there's a there's a lot of people that I graduated from college with and people who are upperly mobile.
Speaker 1: They're doing incredible things.
Speaker 6: In Baltimore, and I'm watching my brothers and sisters in DC do the exact thing. So I'm like, it would be really cool if we had this cohesiveness because we're right there and we could.
Speaker 4: Be extremely powerful.
Speaker 1: But I'm a dreamer.
Speaker 6: I always look for the best in people and always, you know, I'm a no my state kind of guy. So you know, that's just that's just me talking here with you guys about how I feel about why we can't why you don't have a go go in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: When you say substance off you treatment? What is it for Heroina? For whatever you want?
Speaker 6: Whatever you on, codeine, whatever substance that you on right now, of course, everybody's the opioid crisis is the biggest thing that hit our country. So let me back up a bit more. Most I got a degree in psychology, but my first job was a social worker. I'm in social services.
Speaker 1: I come from.
Speaker 6: Helping brothers and sisters, right, That's what my parents instilled in me, and it you know, it just made sense to me. Comedy started paying the bills though, So comedy started paying the bills. I was like, boom, I gotta go do comedy, but always kept the philanthropic things moving. Then I watched my dad have a problem with substances back in the day. Then I watched my brother, who who is my biggest hero on the planet, come through recovery, like like he's the poster child.
Speaker 1: He was on meth.
Speaker 6: Don't nobody come off from me? You know he ain't coming back from meth right now. He got off meth and became a personal trainer. I'm sixty one years old.
Speaker 1: Wow bad? Can I let me lay this out for you. What most people don't know.
Speaker 6: My oldest brother came out the closet when I was eleven years old, So he started that persecution started with him early in his life, and.
Speaker 2: That was a different time coming out of the closset back heah, he body understood the way I say.
Speaker 3: It's more difficult the way I say it on stage.
Speaker 1: And the jokes is he the first gay person because it was we.
Speaker 4: Talking eighty one?
Speaker 1: You know, ain't I history month? Fact?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Brother person?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: He comes out and he stands on his truth, that this is who I am when nobody is staying with A eleven. I was eleven and he's seven years older than me, so he's eighteen. He's eighteen, and he stands on his truth and like, this is what it's gonna be. The hood already knew.
Speaker 1: I didn't know. You know, it's one of them things the hood knew.
Speaker 4: I was like, y'all heard my brother gay. And they was like, nigga, you heard your brother game. We been new your brother was gay. You just ain't no, because that's my older brother. How would I know?
Speaker 1: Anyway, he stood on his truth.
Speaker 6: By nineteen eighty eight, he was HIV positive. He came through that, then substance abuse, prostate cancer, all of this stuff, and then one day he just was like, I'm just gonna be the greatest nigga on the play and just took to recovery like Official Water, took to the gym like Official Water. He has I'm sure he has his bad days, he has his trials and tribulations. He's my biggest hero.
Speaker 1: Warn if he came through all of that, all.
Speaker 6: Of it and right, and he's six foot so he's six foot four. We have different dads. We have different dads. My dad raised him though. When my dad met my mom, my brother was two. His father was a ball player.
Speaker 1: And he's six foot full. Uh, he's sixty one, six.
Speaker 4: Foot full, gorgeous, just gorgeous black man cut walking.
Speaker 1: Around now sixty one. He ain't never do an athletic thing in his life.
Speaker 6: Right now, he's sixty one and cut, and it's like living like the best life he can ever have.
Speaker 1: And thank y'all for letting me talk about him on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: You know, the funny thing is that what you said is he was like, he's six foot four and then you look at you, old black We have different fam.
Speaker 6: We had differ day I saw myself in the the glass I can see me. I was like, nigga, you're not six foot nothing.
Speaker 1: He's like an HIV advocate to.
Speaker 6: He's a he's an advocate for being aware what he is an advocate for and this is how he put it down for me. He's an advocate for us knowing who we are, having safe practices and getting ahead in the world. As the younger brother, he never tried to talk to me about gay versus straight, this versus dad.
Speaker 1: What your opinion is.
Speaker 4: He never tried to make my opinion his opinion.
Speaker 1: Mind.
Speaker 6: He never tried to impose any of that ship on and for all the people who think, oh, you gave you go up around gay people, you're gonna be gave.
Speaker 1: Nah, man, it's not at all. You know how much do.
Speaker 6: You know how often my wife anyway? Is he never He never did any any of those things. And his thing was like, Hey, that's not y'all, that's me. That's what made me me. He never tried to push that out at gender. And neither, let me say this, neither did any of his friends. His friends came through our house Christmas, Thanksgiving. It was our house was the house to come to because my brother did have a supportive family. Those brothers who didn't have a supportive family, I would I ask.
Speaker 4: I was like, why are you over here every day?
Speaker 1: Every Christmas? He don't go see his mother and stuff.
Speaker 6: And then my brother's like his mother and father don't want to see him. He's been put out the house.
Speaker 1: I was like, what do you mean. I didn't know that that went on in the gay community because my parents didn't, you know, they this is my brother, this is my nigga, you crazy, so so your knowing wasn't the knowing for most.
Speaker 6: That's what I found exactly over time, I found out that what happened in our house was not the norm.
Speaker 5: How did that change your perspective on how you even just approach your allyship?
Speaker 1: I guess in the world, it just.
Speaker 6: Made me more of an ally when I need to be, I don't. I don't go out waving the rainbow flag for my brother. He was like, that's corny. If you're not living that every day, that's corny to go out and wave the flag.
Speaker 1: Do what you do? B are you?
Speaker 6: First of all? Are you a halfway decent person in the world. That's what his biggest thing was, like, before you can even support anybody. What kind of person are you in here? You might be a raggedy motherfucker in the first place. We don't need your support, you a funk. We don't even want you around us, you know. Or if it's a performative thing, please don't come around. So that was always what he pushed for me, And you can understand why I'm so passionate about.
Speaker 1: This is my big brother, this is my older brinces.
Speaker 6: What I learned everything from he taught me to fight, taught me I got an overhand right now, I.
Speaker 4: Tell your ass, you're a stupid.
Speaker 3: You're a stupid, You're a stupid.
Speaker 1: I'm a comedian.
Speaker 5: Envy you got in the comedy? Yes, okay, and the comedy to radio or TV first.
Speaker 1: Comedy comedy led to uh radio No, comedy led to TV first.
Speaker 5: I was watching rap I was watching the doc last night and it was so funny. I'm watching the Doctor. They're texting me saying, Yo, we got your clip for them. I'm like, oh shit, so I'm watching this, so.
Speaker 1: You ain't do this. I mean, I put it in motions. Okay. I told you. I saw you to be by you got to have you on. But I'm watching the doc and I saw that you called rap City every day.
Speaker 6: Listen, bro, I called rap City. I called BT once a week. I was watching the show every day like everybody else. Rap City, who is the most At the time, Dejo and Chris and Lez had just come on, Liz had just come on, and I'm watching every day now.
Speaker 1: I had Ricky Lake. I got on The Ricky Lake Show a year before.
Speaker 6: This was her second season, when she was still doing some Newsy Ship on the Ricky Lake Show.
Speaker 4: Can we cut?
Speaker 1: I can cut?
Speaker 6: Well, see, I'm sorry. I have another life now. I do the news in Washington, DC every day, so I have to watch my how I speak to.
Speaker 3: You in Okay, Well you can say whatever the fuck you want to say here.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much. So I'm fucking doing comedy anyway. So I'm doing comedy. I'm going up to the to the pay phone.
Speaker 6: I do the Ricky Lake Show, and I was like, if I can get on Ricky Lay, So here's this is what got me really on it. So I do the Ricky Lake Show and then I go to the club on Thursday. Ricky Lay came on Wednesday. I go to the club Thursday. Nigga, I'm blown up.
Speaker 1: Everybody saw you on Ricky Lake.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, hold up. You was on Ricky Lake yesterday?
Speaker 1: Why yes, I tell you, yeah, got it? And it was like you.
Speaker 6: I was just standing in here last week, in the same spot in this club, and you were standing right there and you look me in my face, lady, you ain't.
Speaker 1: I was nobody.
Speaker 4: I get on Ricky Lake. Oh lake Y like like drinks, You're.
Speaker 1: Gonna hang out with us after and I was like this how they treat you when you get on TV. I gotta get on there every day.
Speaker 6: I'm calling, right, So I was like, let me call BT bt is is I was living in. I was living on Capitol Hill at the time. BT is in Northeast, which is not too it was it wasn't too far from my house. I'm like, this is I'm close. I'm this close.
Speaker 1: So I started calling, like four war one and then can I have the director?
Speaker 6: And they finally give me Keith Patchell and I get his voicemail and when he didn't, I leave the message and he didn't call back.
Speaker 1: Let me call him again.
Speaker 6: You know, when you nineteen, you got that you don't have any clue how the industry works.
Speaker 1: Now you know that's the.
Speaker 4: Cornball and this this nigga keep calling my phone.
Speaker 1: He's never gonna get a job. But when you're young, you don't know that.
Speaker 6: So I just kept kept kept kept kept kept calling. Well, he never called me back. But a friend of mine, J Nice, who was in the episode last night. DJJ Nice was DJ and he's.
Speaker 1: Like, gonna be on Rap City tomorrow, said you gonna be on Rap City?
Speaker 6: Mo?
Speaker 4: Uh got rolle with you, like, yeah, sure, I said, where y'all shooting at?
Speaker 1: He said, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I said, tell him, they an shoot in my house. He's like, all right, cool, I'll tell him. He now, I hadn't told anybody. I was calling Rap City every week, look like goddamn food. So he called me back and said, Yo, we'll be at your house tomorrow.
Speaker 1: E Leven. I said, you're gonna be in my house tomorrow and he living to shoot Rap City.
Speaker 2: He said, yes, before you do that, I wasn't break it down because I thought, you know, when our dja Rap City.
Speaker 6: Of course, it was a lot of years later. There was a set, right, so before that there was it was no set. This is and in the dock there was a bunch. It's a dock, so they had to cut out a bunch of stuff, just like he got to edit this. Oh okay, cool, just push play. So so they come to my house and our Fonts, who was the producer at the time, our Fauns from the Color shows up. He got Chino x al with him. Wow, Chino x all. And at the time, this is before Eminem had dropped.
Speaker 7: And remember Gino x L was the King of the you know Marty shott Heimer, right, you know he was the king of of that type of shock uh.
Speaker 1: Metaphoric lyrics, battle rapperst lyricism. She don't was the king of that ship at the time. So he showed me.
Speaker 3: I was like, yo, you ain't have a set, just set they shot.
Speaker 1: In my living room. You had sign nothing. I ain't none of that ship. This is the early days of the BETS.
Speaker 6: I had my own men and my me and my roommate was living on Capitol Head in my line brother and the the the the thing was when he said would be there tomorrow. I got to back up a little bit. When he said we'll be at your house tomorrow, I said, cool, I.
Speaker 1: Hung up the phone. I go in my room. I was like a god. They said, you do stuff like this, like but for real? Th god like BT coming.
Speaker 6: To my house, Like hold up, you don't for real man? You do this for me, man, I'll do whatever you asked me to do.
Speaker 2: No for real And for people listening in that don't know. B e T used to be out of DC, right, They weren't in New York.
Speaker 1: They used to be DC. It was out, it was out of it was out of DC.
Speaker 6: So sure enough, they show up the next day and Chino XL Bompa wounded. So I'm like, oh man, I'm you know, I'm my mind blowing. I'm a hip hop head on my mind whatever y'all need. I got beer in the refrigera. But we had no We had no furniture. I had a bomb. It was exposed bricks, wall, spiral, staircase, fire plays, none, no furniture.
Speaker 1: It was perfect for a rap city shoot. Refrigerator full of beer. Perfect.
Speaker 6: Then it was like a Drake video. This is back when you remember Drad the video. I was fresh out of Connage. I want my ship to look like yeah. So, but I was drinking forty is a genuine draft.
Speaker 1: I wasn't doing oe y New York Shire anyway.
Speaker 4: The producer says, hey, man, you a comedian.
Speaker 1: I said yeah.
Speaker 6: He said, I saw you. You open for Paul Mooney. Now I had snuck in Paul Mooney showing beg for five minutes. Like I used to go to everybody. I don't give a fuck who was coming to town. I'm gonna go stage door. Can I get five minutes?
Speaker 1: This time? They always told me no.
Speaker 6: But this time when of the security knew me from the club, like, nah that nigga funny put him on, So I got on.
Speaker 1: They let me do that. Fast forward eight months later, Yo, you open for Paul Mooney And I was like, yay.
Speaker 6: He's like, man, you funny shit, but I didn't know your name. Blah blah blah blah blah. Hey we might be looking for ye. All he had to say is we might be looking I'm your guy.
Speaker 1: Whatever the fuck you looking for, I can do it. And he had me shoot a.
Speaker 6: Few things while I was standing there with Chino exling them, and then they gave me a couple of auditions and next thing you know, I was the I was co hosted with Big Legs.
Speaker 5: You know what I realized last night watching that doc man not realized it reminded me you and last had some of the greatest chemistry I've.
Speaker 1: Ever seen any duo have. Period. Did y'all know each other before that?
Speaker 6: Up?
Speaker 1: It goes back to my brother, how I was raised when you.
Speaker 6: First of all, I got a strong mother and I come from strong women. I got strong I had strong ass pops too, but I had strong, strong, strong women. Respecting women was just what you do at our house. There's no two ways about it. And it's a modern woman. You're not delegating them to any other thing, but as equal as they want to show up that day, that's who she is. I took that with me out in the world, so if you look, I always work with women, Me and lez Me and Takara. When I hosted Me and Men to car I had the game show, We had't take the Cake, Me and to Carra. Melissa fud came on Mad Sports. When I hosted a couple of times, it was great. I did more than radio Me and Sonny, me and poet me. Now I'm on the news every day and with Marina, I'm with Maureen. So I worked really well with women, specifically because of what I was taught about women, and then my brother taught me about respecting people period.
Speaker 1: The one of the narratives that's missed is it's a person in here.
Speaker 6: We like to think about the titties and the ass and how she's looking today, or the ladies like the lord he got, the chain, he got the or whatever's going to the physical attributes of a person, But it's a person in there. She got up this morning, had to do everything. She had to do to get out the door, to get to work, to be on time to shoot this show. She nervous too, She don't know everything, NIGGI. The last thing she need is me trying to throw her some dick.
Speaker 1: So what would you do if it was her brother? How you doing today? Good to see you, man. Let's get this in. And that's how I treat. That's how.
Speaker 6: That's what me and Liz were off the break and she, since she was already there, she knew more than I did, So I kind of gave her this big sister things sho show me this and show me that, and how does this work?
Speaker 1: And I don't know these hip hop guys? And oh who is that? Because you can you introduce me that type of ship? So it was never That's how that chemistry worked out. Now some of her friends, what's up with Joe? It was a different. Let me show you a little bro, dude. But it's crazy because y'all used to do radio, No, my brothers, not me. I like, for ch.
Speaker 5: Y'all did Rahap City radio. But I'm like, damn, nobody ever tapped Joe and Les to do a morning show.
Speaker 1: They that never happened. And I was doing on the radio. You know, I was doing radio. I worked with, I worked with.
Speaker 6: Shout out to Russ Paul, Shout out to Russ Paul, shout out to Frank Ski.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed.
Speaker 6: And then of course I had my own morning show for a good while. No nobody ever tapped us for a radio show.
Speaker 1: That's insane. Hold on, I feel like, you know you got all of these. You know, you got what you call it, the adult contemporary hip hop tea regular. This is we.
Speaker 5: We all twenty you know, we were all into twenty five to fifty four demo for sure. Like that's a no brainer to me. Yeah, hey, everybody's listening now.
Speaker 1: So why did you leave?
Speaker 3: What ended with Rahap City? Why did you leave rap City?
Speaker 1: So Stephen Hill came in, and you know this is Stephen Hill. All right, I'll tell you.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you both versions, the version from where I sit now in my fifties. Stephen Hill was a guy coming into bet who needed to make his thing work.
Speaker 1: He had been hired to make this thing work.
Speaker 6: That means people gonna get let go, sets are gonna get changed, systems are won't get tossed up. I was new to that though, I didn't know that that's how that worked. And we were a Beet family up until that point. Now from when it happened. Stephen Hill, me and Liz in his office and he says, so, uh, you know, we're gonna go in another direction.
Speaker 4: I was like, cool, what's the direction? Which which that way?
Speaker 1: That way? I'm go either way.
Speaker 4: You know I was raised, you know I got a gay brother.
Speaker 1: I'n go anywhere.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Way, I'm open, I'm open, I'm I'm in.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm an ally Which way you need us to go?
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 1: I had never heard that before.
Speaker 6: I had never heard were going in another direction for a time, I had never heard of that was right exactly. That was the first time I heard that, and that meant that you would be you, you would get in let go. From how I understood the industry at that time, I thought that was just the most fucked up move, Like he ain't shake my hand and like take us to lunch and be like, bro, we love you, but you know this is what it is.
Speaker 1: And then it was just a cold hat we're going in another direction. They don't show that in the doc either.
Speaker 5: They show we're moving to New York and then it's just like yeah, and you know, I decided Steven Hill was like I decided he needed to be one home host and I'm like, wait a minute, that can't be it. You just don't move big less and Joe like that to be more to the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: It was, you know, and and to his credit, man, each of us sitting here could imagine if we had to be in exec moving into a network a story, a very storied, successful network.
Speaker 1: You're gonna make it.
Speaker 6: You're gonna have to come in and do some things a certain way to make some ship pop off. You can imagine some people got to get fired, some people got to get let go. The way that y'all were doing things is cool, but you're not. That's gonna keep you playing at this level. If you want me to get you to this level, it's gonna be like that. So the Stevens credit man, he came in and did what he had to do, and look at where I where BT went from there. It became such an iconic brand for everybody.
Speaker 5: But I was wondering, and I was I was thinking about the dog watching this last night. Did you and Les even get a chance to audition? For one O six because that was the other thing that happened. They launched one O six and kind of didn't even that would make that was.
Speaker 1: The brain of the So so what happened is rap City kept going, but the shiny jewel no network rap City.
Speaker 6: Uh and and what you'll you'll see more on that tonight on the part three of the Rap City Dot last night. We saw it last night in the Rap City Dot. What I didn't even know about one O six in Park until I was I got tapped to do Mad Sports.
Speaker 1: I was living here in the Tri State. I was living in Jersey and in Hackensack. Shoutouf the Hackensack.
Speaker 6: I lived there, lived lived there, I was shout off the hacken Sack. And I was coming into the city all the time. And so uh they changed the New York New York's and New Hub and all this other stuff, and I started doing Mad Sports. I started hosting that show. So I had to come up to the b t off Is one day and I see AJ. But I had known AJ from Howard when he he was a party promoter and a kid, you know, a dude around town in d C from you know, college scene.
Speaker 1: We would bump heads a lot. So I was like, Oh, the fuck you doing here? He's like yo on the new show. I was like, what's the show? He's like one O six in Park.
Speaker 4: I was like boom back, like, let me know if you need anything.
Speaker 1: You know, my nigg is good going, good to see you. I'll catch you. I'm doing mass sports.
Speaker 6: And that was that's how I found out about one on sixth in Park. We there was no audition for us, but at the time Les was living in LA. She had left and gone back to the West Coast. She was she left New York, was living on the West Coast and I was living up here, and so that the DC thing had kind of it was a different story, but the corporate headquarters were still in DC. All of the paperwork and everything was getting done, all the money in D.
Speaker 5: It just baffles my mind because when you got too talented people like yourselves, you would think that y'all would always be top of the mind.
Speaker 1: For BT, it's the game, the game.
Speaker 6: Come on, you've seen that. You've seen both of us, all of us seen the game is. And let me say this for the people who are listening. When you get into this industry, any media, music, entertainment and all those other things. Remember that you chose this game because the games got rules that you did not set in place. You got to learn how to roll with them rules and keep getting getting ahead or become a bitter old used to be I could have been type of motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: I was like, I them is the rules, keep it moving.
Speaker 6: I still go out every weekend and go get a bag telling jokes, you know, so when they making all these changes and things are going up and down, Okay, I'll see y'all on Monday, cause I'm in Talliassey this weekend, or you catch me, you know, I'll be in La this week and telling joke.
Speaker 1: So for me, a lot of that, a lot of that got to roll off my back. And I'm remembering it's the game, man, And clearly they cut all this out the dot because I know you sat down and told loaders, I'm.
Speaker 6: Told whatever they asked. I'm sure, I'm sure I did. I did whatever they asked. It's the documentary to to take twenty years of a of a show to trunk cat it into three hours.
Speaker 1: They had a huge tak.
Speaker 3: And then they and then then they after you guys, was Tiger and.
Speaker 6: Then Tiger, So Ticker was on with us, Ticker started doing news and then he became like it's three hosts, so it was me, Lez and Tiger, and then Steven came and was like, Okay, why don't we just keep Ticker And that's how that worked. Now, Tigger and I go back to Sunday night hip hop show on WPGC, and and that's what we Me and Tigger used to.
Speaker 1: Flow every Sunday night.
Speaker 6: So so like we would rap, we would we would each writer written and then do a freestyle live on the radio every Sunday night in DC. Shout out to DJ Flex, he was our DJ at the time, and so that's how I knew Tiger from.
Speaker 1: That's where we you know, became friends. So when he became when he came on the show, it was a no brainer. It was it was, you know, go ahead, do your thing, kill him, knock him dead. And so that's how he got in.
Speaker 5: You was always nicer than Ticket too, by the way, that's gonna throw that out there as a rapper, the ticket, you know, Swooter Ticket, like cause I was reminded of that last night too. But even when I was I'm on the dock, right, thank you sir. Yes, there's raps. I remember, like I'm sitting there. I'm like, I remember Joe Klain sitting there with Ray Corn. And that was the free start I made and maybe be like, God, damn, Joe Click can really rap?
Speaker 1: So that that rhyme? So that rhyme? Can I talk about that for so I put that rhyme out there. Now I gotta back up. Uh.
Speaker 6: I always was I could always rap, but I didn't know I could be a rapper, right. I could always rap though, like since since the first day I heard rappers are like we get on the bus. I could always come up with a couple of lines, and then as I got older, I could rap.
Speaker 4: But in d C.
Speaker 1: Being a rapper is not a thing.
Speaker 6: In the years I'm growing up and being a deep No, you got a few rappers shout off the stinky things out out to you know, a scorpio black Indian rest in peace. You know there's a there's a bunch of a couple more than I could could name. But it's not a popular thing. It's not like it is today, And so I kind of kept it to myself. Comedy started paying the bills.
Speaker 1: So I had that.
Speaker 6: But now I'm on Rap City and I'm I and I can't not write like like this phone is full of rhymes.
Speaker 1: Now, I still producing. I still spit because I have to.
Speaker 6: We know when it came up to Hey, Joe such and such as gonna freestyle, you wanna get in cipher?
Speaker 4: You motherfucking right, I'm about to get in cipher.
Speaker 1: You got that right? And then the producers are like, nigg you really, like, yeah, what is the next?
Speaker 6: Uh? So I was always waiting this. I was always writing for that reaction. And I remember that I was writing for that reaction. While I am a comedian and I take hip hop very very seriously. I never tried to be on the show saying.
Speaker 1: I'm a rapper. Let me stay in my place, because this is.
Speaker 6: To highlight cats who have record deals, cats who are moving and shaking in this industry that we love so much.
Speaker 1: So let them shine.
Speaker 6: But if you're gonna put on a beat, nigga, you better at least be better than me.
Speaker 1: You better deal.
Speaker 6: Yes, Reggie O, say shout out peace, rest in peace to combat. Jack took me around a couple of times. Big shout out to DJ Ski Ski was Ski was ski beats. Ski was giving me, Ski was giving me beats. Kid taught me how to make beats. There's I guess y'all haven't heard the story.
Speaker 1: Man. Y'all ain't heard this story. Man, I had the hard knock Life beat.
Speaker 6: Man. When I was out shopping that deal, trying to get a deal, Mark the forty five king in his high house, gave me the hard knock Life beat. I went home made a record, and I was trying to get my bread together so I could buy the beat cause you know that track.
Speaker 1: I was like, he gonna at least need twenty thirty racks for this thing. But I wasn't as serious as.
Speaker 6: Most people who If I would have known what that track was, I would have did everything.
Speaker 1: To get that paper together to go in there and make that record.
Speaker 3: So the story was Kick Capri, I thought, was it your song or he was playing the instrumental?
Speaker 1: So Kid was I was on tour, So I'm on tour on the deaf comedy jam tool. Okay.
Speaker 6: So that's how me and Kid became close, and that's how he started showing me and his manager was my manager at the time. Shout out to Christy Clifford and so Kid was playing it in first, I was like.
Speaker 1: Yo, what the fuck is that?
Speaker 4: He's like, oh, that's my man Mark beat blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: And when he said my man Mark, I don't know he talking about.
Speaker 6: Forty five King, I'm like, oh, I know the fuck Mark the forty five King is.
Speaker 1: So he said, you know, let's go over Mark house and listen to some tracks. He said he got some tracks for you.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm going on.
Speaker 6: I'm still like a fan, so I'm like, I'm going over market he gave I was like, can I have that track too? He gave me a bunch of tracks, and he gave me that Hard Knocked Life.
Speaker 1: At his house.
Speaker 6: Me and Kid Kid took me over Mark's house and that's how I got my hands on it, went home.
Speaker 1: And wrote a hall knock Life song. My hard Knock Life.
Speaker 6: Song was about a kid growing up in a hood but he's he has disabilities and he's got he really got a hard knock life, and you know, from that perspective, coming from the social workshit and everything.
Speaker 1: And then I heard jay Z record.
Speaker 6: And I just deleted, Hey, Ski, can you can you lose those a that's make sure you lose those acts. Please, yes, lose all of those tapes that that's on, because we don't. Nobody never needs to hear that shit.
Speaker 1: But you're working on an album now, I heard.
Speaker 4: So we'll call it an album.
Speaker 6: I just continuously make music. I continue to make records and his his why. First of all, the movement is called new music for old niggas. Okay, period, this is our culture. And one of the things I hear people cry about is they always taking our culture.
Speaker 1: Oh, they always taking our culture? Well, why we keep giving it to them?
Speaker 6: If we are whatever the fuck age we are. If you are hip hop with then nigga, where's your record? I need to hear what you have to say at fifty? Can you tell us about credit?
Speaker 3: Nigga?
Speaker 1: Can you tell us about marriage?
Speaker 4: What about foreclosures?
Speaker 1: Can you put it in a round high cholesterol.
Speaker 4: High cholester route.
Speaker 6: But that's that's sort of the ideal, but not I'm not rhyming about no, right, I ain't rhyme about Colonna and shit like that. But there is a stance that we can take that is a bit more mature. The first record that I put out is a record called Gone g O n E. I saw this quote from that. There was a blog called a blog post, and it said that that black men are the white men of straight black men are the white men of the black community.
Speaker 1: Right. I was like, what.
Speaker 6: I know, proserable, let me go write this rhyme, let me go write this rhynd. So I wrote it from that perspective, and I'm coming from that perspective. I think that brothers should keep rapping, and brothers, it's cool to not have to rhyme about the block and your guns. You fifty, bro, and yeah, y'all, look, let me thank you.
Speaker 1: Let me say this. This is Joe Clais do I look at the This is Joe Claire saying it. Bro.
Speaker 6: You can spit your asshole, but you rhyming about them a k's and you got these grades in your bed. It's just doesn't it doesn't match up. It don't match up. If you're doing that much crime, my nigga, we you can't be a rapper fifty if you're doing that much crime. If you fifty and you got that ay all right here, you ain't got time to rap about shit you.
Speaker 1: Out, that's right. If you fifty or et forty for that thirty. For that matter, young guys who come out with all the gun talk makes sense stupid.
Speaker 3: I wanted to ask too.
Speaker 2: You know, back then, you know when we seen people on TV for some reason, we automatically thought they was rich, right, be thought they were getting bread they talk.
Speaker 3: You see them on television. Do you remember how much you were making back then?
Speaker 6: Did anybody see the documentary when deborly said we were on a shoe string budget.
Speaker 1: You know that little thing at the end of the shoe string.
Speaker 6: Yes, that's the budget we was not the little plastic that's the budget we had at Rap City. So that's why I kept a radio job and comedy on the weekend. I'm gonna tell jokes, the the comedy bag is more money than the radio on the TV put together on the weekend. So on the weekend, I'm gonna make this money up like it's no problem. So uh that Rap City. When I do Rap Citio, or do television, do radio, those things are just adding to I'm already getting.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't making. I wasn't becoming wealthy, but I did.
Speaker 6: But hold up, let me say this part for any young person who seeson I fucked off a lot of money. I was young, getting checks, boy or I was having a ball with it, and I didn't have the wherewithal that we all have now. We all gain it over time. And you know, if I would have been smarter, I started buying houses earlier, I would have you know, started doing you know, savings early and all those other things. But I was making I was making more money than uh regular job nig I was making more money than some regular job bosses, than some execs, you know, because I'm adding up to three and then I'm picking up speaking engagements here on, maybe a quick endorsement over here.
Speaker 1: Or some some things of that nature.
Speaker 5: So I was, you know, it's interesting if you looked at it from that ReSpectacle And I used to watch Draft.
Speaker 4: But not millions.
Speaker 1: Let's go and put that out, not millions, not millions.
Speaker 5: But when I used to look at it, I never thought about the money. I was just like, I just wanted to be good. I'm like everybody on that show is good. Joe Claire is good, good, Digg is good. I want to be good.
Speaker 1: But but now you know, you got to worry about the money. Yeah, yeah, the money comes when you're good.
Speaker 6: Money does come with you when you good, but the deal can be fucked up when you're good.
Speaker 2: So at a lot of times, you know, when you are good, that's usually when you get the issue deals right. And then sometimes before you can get with your worth, they let you go in and they find a new yet next young thing. And the reason I asked that is because you know, growing up the Queen's I would see at level all the time, and you would see ed Love.
Speaker 3: Driving the nice car and the nice chance.
Speaker 2: So you always like, wow, that's at level on television, even with Tigket like when I when I dj' in the basement, probably six seven times.
Speaker 3: But you know, back then a change.
Speaker 1: Was on MTV.
Speaker 3: Though was on MTV though I just a tiger, that one level, very level is on MTV. But even with Tigger, when I go to you would see his change changematically.
Speaker 1: You see the new fresh plans. He's getting it. He getting it.
Speaker 3: You know, always wanted to back then, but then it's getting it.
Speaker 1: But then I hurt.
Speaker 6: But then but then so then for me, I hit my I hit my twenties and then I realized them change don't mean ship nothing.
Speaker 1: This nigga could be at.
Speaker 6: Home broke as that might be all he got is the change. So I never if you see, this is the only jewelry I rot my wedding ring. My wife has taught me in to go replacing my Apple Watch with a watch watch like because as a realtor, I'm out as a realtor as well, I do real estate. When you show up sometimes it's how you show up parents appearances, you know, like the chain that change.
Speaker 4: So for grown people, you walking with that watch, like, oh.
Speaker 1: This guy's not fucking playing established. I prefer my Apple Watch.
Speaker 6: But because I'm in this meat, let me go in and put the to put this other brightling on or whatever the fuck she wants me to get and going in.
Speaker 1: And act like it's it's something else.
Speaker 6: I have a firm handshaking a nice watch, firm handshaking a nice watch, and then have your if you got your numbers together, you get you own the world.
Speaker 4: You own its real talking black people, black children need to know that.
Speaker 5: Another thing too, I was watching the doc Man, I've always loved the interview you did with Big.
Speaker 1: That's that's the iconic. And I knew that was Big. I couldn't. I knew that was Big last interview. It was his last television interview. I think I think I think swave might have been his last radio. Yeah, he was going, he went and did the radio. Now, did y'all shoot that in La? Shot in in La?
Speaker 3: That's what we was laying like in the park, right, So we really were on a sound stage.
Speaker 6: And what you can't see is the cameras are facing me and him is uh fences and everything behind us. We're on a lot of studio lot. Studio lots have is a lot is just a bunch of sound stage. When you hear people say I'm on a lot today, I'm on the paramount a lot of such and such slot we want in La has a bunch of lots and then the lots have sound stages. Sound stages have gates around them. And so we were on one stage on one lot and they were shooting the hypnotized video. The dance scenes were going on in there. So they took a break from that, sat us outside and uh, that's how that interview popped off the day before, but they didn't get to show in this documentary. The day before we were supposed to get that interview, we sat in the Santa Mona and Santa Monica in the bay. Uh not in the Marinadale ray in the in the in the bay, waiting to go out in a little dingy right, waiting to guard is chilly.
Speaker 1: Out there, you know, la get cold.
Speaker 6: It looks sunny, but niggas come we out there the boat where Biggie and Puffy all with the helicopters.
Speaker 1: This is you know.
Speaker 6: I could see it from the hypnotize video. From the hypnotized video, I could see it. We're supposed to go to the boat. But they got all these explosions and everything. So the director is like, too much power techniques.
Speaker 1: We can't do it. I don't feel safe doing an interview here. Can we do it another time? They say, okay, you'll do the interview tomorrow. So you do an interview on the boat. Was supposed to do the interview. I was supposed to sit on that yacht and do that interview. They say, no, we'll do the interview tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Say boom, no problem. I go to the comedy club. It's like cool, no problem. Take me to my hotel. Then I go to comedy club, Go tell jokes. Come back the next day.
Speaker 5: I always wondered were you concerned for your safety shooting out in LA at the time, because it was all the East coast, West coast beef and all of that just sit.
Speaker 6: Out the broad daylight with big I'm concerned for my safety every day.
Speaker 1: So my head is always from us on a swivel. You know, I'm from We made.
Speaker 6: It through the crack earth, So I'm always when I came in here, I was in y'all green room, opened the door.
Speaker 4: Who is that?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, they work here. So my head is always on a swivel.
Speaker 6: So I didn't feel any more, uh, concern, concern then I normally feel. When I go to l A, I just know, like doing rap City. The thing that I knew was when you go to somebody hood, when you go to a city, you abide by they rules. You shut your mouth, don't start, no ship, won't be no ship. You come to d C, you have just like you come to my city. Shut your mouth, come have a good goddamn time.
Speaker 1: We will have a ball.
Speaker 6: But if you come talking about my city this and my city that you oh, these niggas gonna let you know what, They're gonna leave you right where you was. So nah, I didn't have any extra concerns for my safety that day. We had plenty of security, an.
Speaker 2: I'm a Civilian's funny because I thought when you see the picture as a kid or you know, growing.
Speaker 3: Up, I always thought it was outside. I always wondered, like how it's outside. It's just it looked like a real park like they was in the hood.
Speaker 6: That's it's a it's a it's just a park some trees and stuff. But it's a sound stage like right there. And so then we do the interview.
Speaker 1: We we we bust. They stop down production for a second to do this rap city interview. What's my man's name? Was right there with me. Try to joe me out that day? Uh uh Latimer Chris, Yeah, Chris, Chris, Chris, what's up? Chris?
Speaker 3: Chris had some clothes a bit Chris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Chris. I need club Chris. African American College.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, I need that steak.
Speaker 5: Chris.
Speaker 4: Y'all be y'all be cruyning on my school. Chris.
Speaker 3: Send him some Chris.
Speaker 1: So, Chris, he was on set.
Speaker 6: He was on set that day advising and doing some other things. He was advising and doing some other stuff.
Speaker 1: And so I meet Chris. We dip up and Chris start.
Speaker 6: You know, some people when they find out you a comedian, they want to point out that they a better comedian than you.
Speaker 1: And so Chris starts that ship.
Speaker 6: I'm like, Chris, I gotta do the BIGGI end if you I'm trying to get my quest. He's like, I'll be with Joe Toy and them nigga and look at your shoes. And I was like, Chris, I don't have time for this. And then he kept going, and then Joe Claire.
Speaker 1: Came out and Chris was like, okay, go ahead. Joe stopped. I was like, no, don't funk that stop ship.
Speaker 6: No not hein, don't stop now here, come Ben, ain't gonna stop now. Nigga unloosing that belt. I could see, you know, I'm just going going. Then I sit and I do the interview. It's a great day because Chris is sitting there laughing with us. Our producers are having a great time. Seasoned Junior Mafia right behind us. The dancing girls are over there.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 6: You know when you see dancing like I'm a holler as Shawn. After this is over, you know you're having a great day.
Speaker 1: Then Biggie said, you want to smoke something? That day just got better.
Speaker 6: Yes, I want to smoke something. You Biggie smalls if you wanna smoke, And I said, if you gonna. I'm not a smoker, but if you're gonna smoke with somebody, you're gonna smoke with Biggie. Smoke a couple of smoke, a couple of Al's Boom boom boom. They showed that in the doc a little bit so because I had to and that since it since it got postponed, I had to catch a red eye that night because I was going out on the Deaf Comedy Jam tour.
Speaker 1: This was the first night.
Speaker 6: The first night was on that Friday, so I had to fly home Wednesday after getting an interview, pack my bags. I five red eye, go home, wash clothes, pack my bag, blah blah blah blah blah. Get on the tour buses coming from Kid and pre Little Jersey coming down to DC, pick me up and then we drive to Dallas. We do the show in Dallas. The next night we go to Houston. Do the show in Houston. Had a ball and three thirty four o'clock in the morning, Kid called my phone was like, Yo, they say biggie guy shot. You know, it's four o'clock in the morning, you've been out drinking and shit like whatever, niggas tripping, you know, it's just some more hip hop here say bullshit.
Speaker 1: Then my girl called me. My girlfriend at the time called me. She was like, they say bigger guys shot. I was like, oh the fuck, that's two people long on. Let me turn on headline News. Y'all.
Speaker 6: Remember headline News to every half hour first story, rapper Christopher Wallace has been gunned down.
Speaker 1: I was like, there's no fucking what.
Speaker 3: At this point, the interview wasn't out.
Speaker 6: The interviews now, I just it was this is Sunday morning. I just was dead Wednesday. This is Sunday morning at six in the morning. So nah, no interview out. They ain't get time to try. They still in La party.
Speaker 1: They ain't even get that, none of that.
Speaker 6: And just just those next couple of weeks with that days and weeks with Dad, it was just like a blur, just like a big blur.
Speaker 1: And I when I got to reflect on it, I realized.
Speaker 6: I was just numb to this ship because Tupac Hat just died and now Biggie got killed.
Speaker 1: I was like, we cannot be that dumb? Are we? Black folks were really not that stupid? Are we? Is this who we are? Tim has shown that Unfortunately, niggas going nigga niggas going, did you? Did you?
Speaker 6: I hate to say it, man, it's sad. It's sad and I and let me put this in context on y'all show. I'm a kid who had progressive parents. Both parents college educated, both parents have this beautiful ideal of what we can be as an African American community.
Speaker 1: What can happen. My pops was an attorney who worked for the Department of Education. My mother became a professor. She's a writer. Her books have gone all over the world and everything else. But my pops had another job at five o'clock. He was the weed man. That's a whole nother story. So he was an attorney, but they had this picture for who we could be.
Speaker 6: At that point, I was like, Nah, Pop, I don't think we're gonna make it in our lifetime. I don't think I'm gonna see it. I don't think you're gonna see it. We're gonna have to individually keep running towards the goal, but everybody coming together to run.
Speaker 1: Towards this goal.
Speaker 6: An nah that means the front runners is gonna have to stop, slow down and come back and get the niggas who who's not thinking about nothing and pull them along and how much time. You know how hard it is working in social services. I know how hard it is to pull somebody along. It's difficult. It is difficult to change your mindset, to change your heart, to change the way people see things.
Speaker 1: It's difficult. That shit, it hit me.
Speaker 6: It was one of those times Charlemagne and Envy where I really just I'm very us. I was like, man, I man A lot of that, so a lot of the like hanging out shit, I just did not want to do like it.
Speaker 1: It's watching us. Was a reflection of how bad we can get.
Speaker 6: I don't necessarily think you a bad guy, but I know that if this is in the air, this is our culture right now, Right now, our culture is two of our biggest have gotten killed, and homicides ain't slowing down.
Speaker 1: Every weekend. Shootings is still going on every weekend.
Speaker 6: As a matter of fact, the records are getting even more brazen and the gun talking everything else.
Speaker 4: After we these tragedies.
Speaker 6: So when I looked at my brothers, I was like, nah, we got to pull I got to hear what's coming out your mouth. I gotta watch your actions to actually feel like we back to this because I don't know what you're on. And then and I watched cats. I knew, you know, I watched man, I watched some of the most righteous dudes. Next thing I know, he he come with the chain and he gotta get his swag together.
Speaker 1: You you, you, you've been made since you was nineteen years and ten years old. You've been made. You've been a man. I know your family, I know what you staying on.
Speaker 6: You switching up because you think this is what the coach of dog fuck my head up and has colored how I see us.
Speaker 1: Since then to that nothing has changed your mind about it.
Speaker 6: I mean, so that those that happened and everybody can do their own narrative of how it impacted them, because I was sitting in the middle of it. And remember leading up to that, I sat in the middle of the East Coast West Coast thing. Every week, every day, every rapper's got something to say about the other coast. So I'm sitting there watching it I'm like, it was cool when the rappers were saying it, but then when the A and Ill saying it.
Speaker 1: And then when the other label guy saying it, and then when you know.
Speaker 6: It's popping up on the news, I was like, this is the corner is dumbest, this is fucking stupid. We first of all, we both fighting for our rights against the old presser in the first place, where you from ain't got shit to do it. But then to see the mindset, and that's that's how I understood how powerful.
Speaker 1: That's when the other part was how powerful media became for.
Speaker 6: Me at that time, because I was like watching grown motherfuckers that I knew changed their whole shit to be part of the shit.
Speaker 5: I was like, really, is that what made you start saying east coast, west coast, worldwide.
Speaker 1: I took it straight from the Lost Boys. Okay, shout out to mister Cheeks and everybody else, cause it took Yes, we need we we we we really need to we really need to do this.
Speaker 6: Big shout out to Mac Tin and Fat Joe because I don't know if you guys remember.
Speaker 1: They did a movie Thinking and water Up something like.
Speaker 6: That, and then and Fat Joe realized and fat Joe used to be coming up to this show like man funk that I'm keeping the flame going on this East Coast West Coast ship. After that, I see Joe and he's like, yeah, nah, I found out them some cool nigga tho. He he didn't say nigga to me. You know everybody about how Joe the word. I'm just I'm being a comedian and he was like, nah, they cool. And then as you used to see mac ten and mactin.
Speaker 1: Like nah they cool, They're super cool.
Speaker 6: And then you found out it was it really wasn't the East Coast versus It was the media making it and it was Park against Biggie and they used to be best friends and now we're looking at really this came down to two best friends.
Speaker 1: Fell out. Now they have other influences, and that just got bigger and bigger and bigger out of control.
Speaker 6: Because if you look at it now, you don't do you think twice when you go to l A right, you go, you you mind hold up?
Speaker 1: You mind the streets? You mean you mind the.
Speaker 4: Streets the street?
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course, but you don't feel like because you're an East Coast dude, it's on and popping on site.
Speaker 3: Now, right, I just see what happens in LA. That's the same way I feel want to go to Chicago.
Speaker 1: I lived.
Speaker 6: I lived in LA for a decade and you know, I never had I never had a problem in Los Angeles. I have great friends who are still there. And you know, and there's a difference. Let me put this out there.
Speaker 1: There's a difference between Hollywood and LA. And and my all my dudes was from LA.
Speaker 6: It was from and they started breaking down what hood they're from and where. Don't go over there, homie, Hey Joe Claire, look here, homie, you don't want to be.
Speaker 4: Over there after you get dark.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, okay, I ain't gonna be over there after get dark. And then and and I mind my business, you know what I'm saying. And I had I love LA. I had such a ball. I miss it so much. I miss it so much. But my wife was not having it. Trust me, you ain't even got to say no more. I understand. I overstand what you said.
Speaker 6: My wife was like, she couldn't do it west side of Baltimore to go to l A. She was like, I'm gonna kill everybody out this monment. I was like, Okay, baby, let's go home.
Speaker 5: You know, we have conversations on the Breakfast Club that have ended up confrontational.
Speaker 1: Did y'all have any of those on Rap City that y'all y'all? I never, not one time, had any problems with any rappers.
Speaker 6: The only person who ever, the only person who ever like like tried to sum me, he sum me one time. It was my first This is my first live taping. We were at the Ritz Nightclub. This was Mark Bonds's club. You know, y'all know my boss s Mark Bonds Club back in the day. I'm in there and I'm interviewing Pete Rock and cl Smooth, my heroes. My I know they album back to backward and forward.
Speaker 1: I know everything.
Speaker 6: I know every syllable of that motherfucker album. So it's like five four three two go. I'm like a Sprap City Joe Clay here.
Speaker 4: Blah blah blah blah blah blah BLAHH do.
Speaker 1: My thing, So what's up with you? Look with you in it?
Speaker 6: And then and then I don't get nothing from cl He's pretty So then the cameras cut off.
Speaker 1: He's like, yo, son, you mad extra I Sai said, what he's like, Yo? You mad extra? What you mean he's like yo over the top, he like mad extra, Yo. Bring it down a little bit five four three two.
Speaker 4: All ain't Charlee Joe Claire here on't rap city.
Speaker 1: I got bigger. I don't know you. I love c L stupid.
Speaker 4: I don't know you.
Speaker 1: Now you turned back into Craig on Calvin or whatever C stand for. And this is my city. Were back in my hometown. We're great friends. Now we end now.
Speaker 6: I for me, I took it as a vet somebody who was in the industry showing me what he thought I should be. No skin off my you know, that's what you think I should be already know Joe clar And if it's nothing, I know joke.
Speaker 1: I know what Joe Clint do. And I stayed extra for five years. I stayed extra five years and.
Speaker 6: Week now I saw him. I saw him maybe a year later. All of how's everything good to see? How's the show going? Everything's groovy?
Speaker 1: I saw him.
Speaker 6: I want to say about three years ago. He came through the station when I was at WPGC. It's number love, number love. But he was the one person out of all of them that just had that thing. After that, it was all super cool. And then I can't say who. The rappers and there's this, I can name about six or seven of them. I guess they knew I was a social worker before whatever. Man they would do, they come in here, tell y'all'all that they problem.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: It blew my mind when that shit started happening.
Speaker 6: I can't say who, but he's like, you know, when you get an image of him, he's hard core, straight hard core all day, every day, staying on it like a man.
Speaker 4: There's no nothing, there's no no fragility, no nothing over here, cameras cut off.
Speaker 6: Man, this nigga talk to me about problems with his wife. The you know, I all rest, I'm having some I.
Speaker 4: Need a mental day, Joe, And I was like, what the is going.
Speaker 6: For him?
Speaker 1: He's fine, he's fine. I see him all the time. He's fine, he's fine.
Speaker 4: But it was just like, wow that, you know.
Speaker 6: These these people that have these personas are real ass people who are going through a lot of ship in their life.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and that's that, you know.
Speaker 1: So thanks, so let me put that out there. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 3: This conversation.
Speaker 6: Oh man, and we just ship. Let me get there's a few things I like to get on my chest. Make sure you follow. Make sure you follow me at Joe Claire on all social media platforms.
Speaker 1: If you are in the d m V, watch.
Speaker 6: Me every day at three o'clock on Fox five. It's called the d m V Zone. I am on news every day and it's you'll see it when you tune in. And other than that, just follow your boy, man, oh it, catch me if I all right. A lot of people did not know I was a comedian first, So please if I come to your town, make sure you come see my show.
Speaker 1: Cause, nigga, I'm boy, I'm Alaric. When your next shows, shit, uh, let me see. We just so, we just finished the big comedy festival in the d n V.
Speaker 6: Myself, Donelle, your boy, me Doneille Rollins, Pierre, Tony Woods, Tommy Davison and Red Grant killed it with ivon Orgy as our host.
Speaker 1: She's from around the way as well.
Speaker 6: I do my own shows monthly at a place at a spot called Bowie in Bowie, Maryland. So I don't know if you guys know about Bowie, Maryland. Bowie Maryland is the so Prince George's County storied history as the best Black blessed place for black folks meeting and household income, and Bowie is the highest median household.
Speaker 1: Income in Prince George's county.
Speaker 6: So we do a comedy show in Bowie, very uh intelligent well to do black crap. So I love going in there. We got heavy hitters coming through in every month. So just you can just check the schedule there and then let me see. I'll be at the I'll be at Atlanta dot com.
Speaker 4: That just go thank you.
Speaker 6: I'm thank you there and then and then back in d C and Baltimore. I got shows coming up and two all the time. I just am not with the big Guys tour.
Speaker 1: I'm in this.
Speaker 6: I'm still on Chitlin circuit. I'm still on Hennessy and Chicken. Certainly you come see me. It's gonna be a smaller venue blah blah blah. And then every now and again you get to see me with the big guy on a bigger stage. Shout out to some more for put me on tour. This past he had some more put me on tour, and I got to go back on the big stages because I don't live in New York, I don't live in l A. I'm in DC operating by myself, so I go get it. But I'm out telling jokes every weekend.
Speaker 1: There you have it.
Speaker 3: Well, it's Joe Claar, ladies, and make sure you watch the Rap City Dot Ye. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, wake that ass up in the morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club