Speaker 1: But yes, so the Breakfast Club is old.
Speaker 2: Wait yta the Breakfast Club, Envy and Charlemagne, the voice of the culture.
Speaker 3: You think I'm gonna come in when this thing.
Speaker 4: See y'all different, y'all the culture it's different. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like y'all know what y'all talking about.
Speaker 4: This is probably becoming the most prominent form for Hill.
Speaker 1: Probably be here next to all of you guys.
Speaker 6: It's really this.
Speaker 1: Put it in perspective to the Breakfast Club. Bitches.
Speaker 4: Wake up, good morning Usa yo.
Speaker 7: Yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo yo.
Speaker 4: Yo yo yo Charlamagne to God, thanks to the planet.
Speaker 8: It is Friday.
Speaker 4: It's Friday.
Speaker 9: Good morning, yeah, man, Friday the thirteenth. Yes, gona be honest with you. Trying to get out of New York City as soon as possible today, man, oh protest, I guess And they said it's something called the New York City is preparing for the or the salute to everybody else that's listening to us all over the country. But yes, our headquarters, the Breakfast Club Black Mothership is here. In New York City, but it says they're preparing for a mosque global g hot day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know what the hell that means, but you know the FBI is on high alert.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 5: What I was told.
Speaker 9: Every police officer in New York City got to be on duty today, Yes, every single one, every single one like those days off twelve hour shift.
Speaker 4: They want everybody to come in today, My god, even if you're not in certain because you know, some police officers do detective work. Some do you know, they look for pedophile, some do you know, drugs whatever, But they want everybody on duty I guess to do parole and then make sure everything is safe and clear today.
Speaker 9: Yeah, because I guess the moss is urgent mask global demonstrations. Yes, man, Lord have mercy. But yeah, so when I say a piece of the planet, I mean it for real, for real. This morning absolutely is christ What the hell is going on?
Speaker 4: Well, comedian Joe Claire will be joining us this morning.
Speaker 5: Legendary Joe Claire.
Speaker 9: If you've been watching the Welcome the Rap City documentary on e T, then you've seen a lot of Joe Claire story. Yes, you know, Joe Claire was one. If you grew up in the nineteen hundreds like we did, then you you ran home every day to watch Draft City.
Speaker 5: Joe Claire Big Glass yep, you know Big Tigger.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 9: Chris Thomas, the mayor, like you know, but our errow was really Tigger and Tiger. Joe Claire Big Last, Big Lass, Yeah, absolutely, yeah, that was yep.
Speaker 5: Well, he'll be here to discuss with us this morning. That's right.
Speaker 4: Did you watch the game of the last night, the football game?
Speaker 9: No, I didn't watch no TV last night. I didn't even get to catch up on Loki season two. I saw the first episode of Loki. I didn't see episode two last night. We got another guess joined yesterday tour.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Vlad, okay, shout the Flad, you know, Vlad DJ Blad Blad TV. He'll be joining us as well, so we'll kick them with Lad as well.
Speaker 9: Blad needs to win a Peabody because Blad helped solve the murder of TUPACX. You call that's right, okay. Blad made Jada Pinkett Smith a very happy woman. All right, Okay, Yes.
Speaker 4: We'll talk about that in rooms.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: She just just I just want to read the book at this point. Yeah, me too. I just what is the come back?
Speaker 5: But I just want to read the book. I I just need to read the book.
Speaker 9: What's a lot hey after Pinket Smith Winfrey Nold it was called Jada. Whatever you out here doing on your press release, it's worked. I need to read the book. Yes, okay, I want to read. There you're giving away this kind of stuff in interviews. There must be some really really good stuff in this book.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ. All right, all right, well, let's get the show crack and we got front page dues coming up, so don't move.
Speaker 5: It's to Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Good morning morning everybody. It's j n V. Charlomagne the God. We are the Breakfast Club. Let's get in some front page news.
Speaker 11: Good morning tears, Good morning DJ and Charlottne the God and Breakfast Club family.
Speaker 4: All right now, last night, Kansas City Chiefs beat Denver nineteen to eight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Denver Bronco season is over.
Speaker 4: It's officially a rap okay now. Also in baseball, Philadelphia Phillies beat Atlanta Braids to move on to the National League Championship Series against the Arizona Diamondbacks.
Speaker 5: What you think Russell wasn't going on vacation.
Speaker 1: Turkey kickos N.
Speaker 4: I did that a few times. Right, Well, let's jump right into the news. What were talking about? What we're starting with this morning?
Speaker 11: Two years Yeah, a fifty three year old Jank Yuger, founder and al spokenhost of the progressive Young Turks TV show, said, Joe Biden is not going to win for president and he is the break glass in case of emergency candidate. Let's listen to why he believes he should be running for president of the United States.
Speaker 1: Let's change the course.
Speaker 12: Right now, Joe Biden is down twenty four points in the economy, nineteen points on jobs when he actually did better on jobs than Trump did. He's out thirteen points from where he was in twenty twenty. He is not going to win. I am running, Yes, I am a break glass in case of emergency candidate. It should not have been me, It should have been someone else, but unfortunately it was not anyone else. And now there's only four months left, we must change course. He has at best a ten percent chance of winning. Donald Trump is an actual fascist. So I am running as a proxy. I'm running to win, but I'm also running as a proxy for any other candidate. We have got to get Biden out of the race. Thank you for winning in twenty twenty, but if he loses this time around, it's not just his problem, it's all of our problems. I actually think democracy is on the line, and so if it takes me running, then that's what I'm gonna do, and we're all gonna do it together.
Speaker 9: He's not saying nothing that I haven't been saying. Donald Trump is indeed a fascist. Democracy is on the line, and twenty twenty four, twenty twenty four, Yeah, and Biden loses, I think democracy as we know it will never be the same again.
Speaker 4: But what did they say in sports? You still got to play the game.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, even it looks like the team might don't have a chance to win, and you still got to play the game.
Speaker 5: I just wish you had some better players on both sides.
Speaker 11: So as it stands, Mary and Wilson who obviously Mitt Williamson, I'm sorry. It's also still running up to be the Democrat nominee against Joe. Biden had her on the show as well. We also had doctor Cornell West on the show. We can go back and listen to that interview, he dropped his Green Party ticket. So when we had him on the Breakfast c he was running as a Green Party ticket and he has now dropped it as an independent. And so has Robertie Kennedy Junior, who was also running up for the Democratic nomination when we had him on the show, and now he is running as an independent as well, which I recorded that earlier this week. So folks are moving over to the independent category. And just you know, being very honest, like Jane said, I'm running to be a proxy. I know I'm a long shot candidate, I know, you know, but I'm running to disrupt. I appreciate his honesty at least, you know, with that, but not a lot of people like it. They feel, you know, it's a spoiler. Feel look it hurt Joe Biden. But there's also people that believe Joe Biden can hurt Joe Biden. So we'll just see.
Speaker 4: All right, Well that is front page news. Now get it off your chest, as we'll see you in a couple of minutes. Eight Hundrenk five eight five one oh five one. If you need to vent phone lines to wide open again, eight Undrink five eight five one oh five one, Get it off your chests, whatever you're thinking, whatever you're going through, call us up right now. It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Well, this is your time to get it off your chest. Eight hundred five five one five one. We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 10: Hello.
Speaker 1: Who's this?
Speaker 4: Good morning?
Speaker 13: DJ Iffy, what's us?
Speaker 4: Good morning? What's your name?
Speaker 13: My name is Nori. I'm calling from San Antonio, Texas.
Speaker 9: Are you named after Noriega is a rapper the host of drink Champs.
Speaker 13: No, I'm actually named after Lorille Products. My name is Nori Yelle, but I go by Nori.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, Oh.
Speaker 9: I love niggas. I mean, I'm sorry. I love black people. We so amazing all we don't we just we just make up stuff?
Speaker 4: We is?
Speaker 13: Is it anybody up there with y'all?
Speaker 4: Nobody today? I would have right now.
Speaker 13: I wanted to call it talk to my favorite radio host of the whole wide world. Today is my birthday, and I'm just hoping that y'all will wish to be a happy birthday.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday day, Noriel.
Speaker 4: What you're going to be a birthday?
Speaker 13: I don't know. My husband has a bunch of stuff set up for me today. So I'm gonna see what I step on and what I get today.
Speaker 5: What are y'all gonna name yall kids? Ninty?
Speaker 13: Now we named our kids. We named our kids something normal.
Speaker 4: This time, okay, because that'd be cool.
Speaker 13: I read your books, though, and can I please get maybe a signed copy of Black Privilege and and be of your book you and his book as well.
Speaker 9: Sure, I'll send you a whole package for your birthday. I'll send you Tamika Mallory state of Emergency. I'll send you and need a cold pack, shallow waters. I'll send a whole pack out for your whole Black Privilege Publishing Packie.
Speaker 4: Listen it out, I'll tell our producer.
Speaker 5: Put them on hold. Make sure you get our address.
Speaker 4: We'll send it out to day and I'll send you a black effect hat. I'm gonna put it. I'm gonna put you on hold. Okay, thank you, all right?
Speaker 10: Mama?
Speaker 3: Hold on hello?
Speaker 1: Who's this? Hey?
Speaker 4: How old are you?
Speaker 14: I am?
Speaker 15: Ten years old?
Speaker 4: Ten years old? Okay? Well, wow, get it off your chest? Can your parents let you listen to this show?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 9: Somebody coaching you is your mom with you. Yes, okay, tell your mom good morning.
Speaker 4: We can hear a whisper and you're a terrible whisperer.
Speaker 16: Mom, good morning.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 1: Compree to talk to us?
Speaker 14: So, how do you feel about the world changing?
Speaker 9: The world's changing, but I don't think it's changing for the better. I would feel much better if the world was changing for the good. It feels like the world is changing for the worst right now.
Speaker 4: Jesus, how do you feel about the world changing?
Speaker 14: Not really good about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, me neither.
Speaker 9: From the mouth of baby, I think we need to listen to the kids. What would you do to change the world?
Speaker 17: Change?
Speaker 3: Global warming?
Speaker 9: Global woman is very important, very important important. You heard about all of the perma frosts. What is it called the perma frost effect where all the like old prehistoric diseases are starting to come out because the glaciers and melting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, that's horrible.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: What are you learning in school? Oh, I've been learning about the ice age? Yep, wow, yep, yep.
Speaker 9: You think there's gonna be another ice age or you think it's going to be heat? What you think is going to take us all out?
Speaker 10: Heat?
Speaker 18: Heat?
Speaker 4: Right? Yeah? Complete? Do you believe in aliens? Yes, have you ever seen one?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 5: You think you'll see one in your lifetime?
Speaker 17: Probably later in life.
Speaker 9: Yes, yeah, we'll be gone by then. So how much time you think we got left for free?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: Maybe like forty years. Wow, I'll be eighty five, you'll only be fifty. So what do we gotta change this?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 9: We got to change this. Now, we need a little bit more time. We need a little more time.
Speaker 4: So, Capria, if you could tell everybody right now that's listening, what would you tell them? How can we change the world? How can we make the world a better place? Tell him right now, Capri, go, we could.
Speaker 19: Probably keep recycling to keep this word clean.
Speaker 4: Recycle, Yeah, okay, a good deal. And where are you from, Capri? What city?
Speaker 5: What state?
Speaker 19: I am from Texas?
Speaker 5: Right, okay, Capri.
Speaker 4: Well, we appreciate you for checking in, and thank you so much, Caprice.
Speaker 9: And tell your mom don't don't throw that can in the trash to put it in the recycling.
Speaker 4: Bit that's right, okay, Bye, have a great day in school, you too, have a blessed y too.
Speaker 9: I heard what the kids said. The kids said that y'all need to stop it.
Speaker 5: Okay, Global woman is real.
Speaker 9: Climate change is real, you bastards to tell y'all right, we got forty years left according to Capri right.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred five eight five one five one, Get it off your chance. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. It's a new day.
Speaker 10: Is it your time to get it off your chest? Way, whether you're.
Speaker 1: Man or black, something to get up and get something. Call up man.
Speaker 3: Eight hundred and five eighty five one oh five one.
Speaker 1: We want to hear from you on the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 4: Hello, who's this morning?
Speaker 14: As Alice?
Speaker 4: Alex?
Speaker 10: What up? Man?
Speaker 4: Get it off your chest?
Speaker 14: Alex was man, y'all. So I just want to put out a positive message on you know, I lost my my brother this year about a week after my birthday. You passed away, My mom just recently passed away, and my grandfather just passed.
Speaker 15: Away, you know.
Speaker 14: And I'm barely making that met you know, driving an hour and a half each way to work every day, and stuff. But yo, man, I'm off and I'm smiling.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 14: You know if I'm still doing this, man, you know, man, anybody can do this.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 14: You know, I've done lost seventeen friends in my life. I ain't got nobody but me and my son and my daughter. Man, So you know, if I'm still up kicking in, y'all can do this.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 9: You said, you said all you got is your son and your daughter and yourself. Like that's not enough, my brother, That's all you need is from God.
Speaker 15: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 14: Man, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 14: I'm good, I'm happy, I'm up, I'm smiling. I'm working seventy two hours a week, man, barely making it by. But you know what, I'm alive. The air smells.
Speaker 15: Good, it feels good.
Speaker 14: I'm alive man, and listening to you guys every morning. Po Man got to smile on my face going to work.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 9: Man, brother, I'm glad that we can put a smile on your face. I'm telling you, man, that's all you need Like that I've been going. Brother, we be stressing like we don't have everything we need. Man, if you got your family and you got God, I promise you you can get through anything.
Speaker 4: I promise you. Hello, who's this dj MB?
Speaker 15: Sure to be with God? Good morning?
Speaker 1: Oh g Ron, what's up?
Speaker 15: Oh g what's happening y'all? Listen?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 15: So it's a blessing to call in head with y'all brothers. Man, and before I do my thing, before we do our thing, I know how we give it up. Just want to say, brothers, we need to be prayful right now in these times. You know what I'm saying. You gotta stay prayed up. We got you. Gotta stay paid up. Man. The devil is real busy right now to seek and destroyed.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 15: You know what I mean. So I just want to say the prayers for us man and let us know, man, we gotta stay paid up today. Brother, too much going on, but I know it's Friday.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna bar us up, do your think.
Speaker 15: All right, check it out. I said, picture this, Get your lens right, set the frame so you see it clear. He his talking because I'm outside. Let me get a few dance first. Hustle hard called block work rains all in the comments because I'm stuck on that power line. Man, it never makes sense. This is something for the small talk me in tent with full intent. Pick pressure on the pavement. Hip hop is what I came with. Who's lost in that mumble rack? Go a bot on for TikTok. Got something up to make them dance, slide on them like flip flops, move for in fort preciseness. So I staid, be gonna really rock call it style what you want to? Oh school, So get off mine, check one to the check too, skills pooping off the walk through the center stage on my playground, dag them up, make constable.
Speaker 4: Oh geez ojee, y'all, I got some bars. Okay, okay, okay, you ready, let's go. Life is too short, But Charlotte, be playing some games that takes some time and think about if it's really losing me, Why must it be this way? Why do you have to play with my mind all the time? Disting help me? Say all? I really want you say?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't want to sing man.
Speaker 4: Let me get something, yo, let me get something. My name is a Nod. I'm so petty.
Speaker 9: You use a spoon to eat your spaghetti tasting on your radio station. Friday the thirteenth, I'm gonna play Jason Today is today that MC's played. If you smell rotten teeth is tooth to k and Nby's gay bars.
Speaker 15: Okay, okay, okay, NV got yourself for you, so you're gonna be happy.
Speaker 9: That's your I'm not paying him no attention. When he when he said be happy, he means gay. That's not your okay, gay, that's means happy.
Speaker 4: That's what he wants. That's not true. That is not true. What he means I want to he will.
Speaker 15: Happy.
Speaker 5: He mean he means happy like gay.
Speaker 4: No, that's not it.
Speaker 1: Oh you Rob, you have a good weekend.
Speaker 15: Yo. Y'all, y'all have a blessed weekend. Brothers, be safe.
Speaker 4: You're in the family, all right, you brother? All right now when we come back, we got your room report. We gotta talk Jada pink and Smith. Jada Pinkin Smith.
Speaker 9: What I said, Jada Pinkin Smith's sounds like he smelled sell mid in Texas, Jada, Jada. Go see Jada Pinkersmith over there selling mid in Texas.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 4: We gotta talk Jada. She has a book out and she is just loose lipping it and she got more to say. We'll get into it. NeXT's the Breakfast Club on b E T The Breakfast Club Morning, everybody in Steve j n V Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club. Let's get to the rumors. Let's talk to Iley brothers name or you got to been on you chatting?
Speaker 1: Is the rumor report?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess we're on the Breakfast Club. This is where the tea spells right right, damn it's cool now. Ronald Eisley was on the Breakfast Club a couple of months ago, and Charlemagne asked him about his relationship with his brother because it was rumors that they weren't. Hee and I to eye on some things.
Speaker 9: Our things now, because I know one of your brothers was suing you over to brother Tradmarky. That's not really a problem. You know, it's hard for me to discuss it now, but it's not.
Speaker 4: That's not a problem. But what's whatsoever? Well, it's sad to say that his brother Rudolph has passed away. He died at the age of eighty four. He was one of the founding members of the Isley Brothers, and that that only leaves Ronald as the sole surviving member of the original Isley Brothers, which was Ronald, O'Kelly and Rudolph. Now, he also wrote their first hit, shout you Got It? What come on, Grandma, come on, grand dad, look do a little day. They still played this at the baseball games, football games and all that shout get to save you.
Speaker 9: Call your grandma down. Your grandma just lost it real quickly. Grandma just lost it real quick in the kitchen, didn't she. I hope those issues, uh, you know, were just business and not personal.
Speaker 4: But look, the issue is the name. You know, he said that, you know, Ronald shouldn't have the name. But Ronald said that you're not in the group, you're not performing, So that's why you know, we use the name. But yesterday he left the statement that said there are no words to express my feelings and the love I have for my brother. Our family will miss him, but I know he's in a better place. So rest in peace to Rudolph Ice.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's I said.
Speaker 9: I hope those issues were just business and our personal because it would suck to have unresolved, you know, personal issues with somebody that you love, you know, and that's really really close to you. But y'all might not have been on the best of personal terms when they passed. You know, that's something you got to live with forever.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 5: I hope it was just.
Speaker 9: Business is not personal, but definitely sending healing energy to the good brother Ronald Isla.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Now, Jada Pinkett Smith, she's on tour. Of course, she has a bookcase on tour. She's on tour. She has a book that's coming out, and she's been talking to pretty much everybody.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: She was talking to Crystal Jordan at Rolling Out and just talking about her, you know, how she felt about Tupac and the chemistry.
Speaker 19: If there is such a thing as past lives, m hmm, I definitely think Paca and I have traveled a few together, you know, in various forms.
Speaker 20: So has there ever been a time that you regretted the decision that you made not to take it to that level with him and to keep it in the friendship space.
Speaker 18: It just wasn't possible.
Speaker 19: There was no chemistry between us, you know.
Speaker 5: I talk about it in the book.
Speaker 20: It's just hard to believe. We see chemistry with the two of you guys, even in the videos. The videos you guys dance and there seems to be so much chemistry, but for yours, that friendship love.
Speaker 4: Trust me, Okay, Jada, We're gonna buy the book, all right.
Speaker 9: As a Pinkett Smith, Winfrey knows Carter, I'm telling you right now, I'm gonna buy the book, and I was looking at I didn't see the clip yet, but I saw my good peoples at all the Smoke sluthon map Bones and Stephen Jackson. Make sure you listened to all the Smoke podcasts on the blackfecu Ie Heart radio podcast network. I saw they put out a clip that said Jada Pinkett Smith reveals that Tupac proposed to her while he was in jail. Can we get that clip school for later?
Speaker 4: Wow?
Speaker 5: Jesus Christ. Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you don't know Jada and Tupaca, they went to high school together in Baltimore. She also talked about you know Baltimore and how she never wanted to be a drug dealer's girlfriend. So she talked about how drugs affected the area and her neighborhood. She said, I wasn't trying to use drugs. I surely wasn't going to be the drug dealer's girlfriend. But I wanted money so that I could be independent. I wanted to take care of myself. So she talks about actually selling drugs. So that's in the book as well.
Speaker 9: I'm going to buy the book. It's called Worthy, Okay. I actually cannot wait to read it. The press tour has worked this week, all right.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Also saw a headline that said, Jada Pinkett Smith she has actually never met Will Smith.
Speaker 4: No, shut up, man, but we did. Will Smith was up here and Charlamagne asked Will Smith about you know, everybody always talking about Tupac and Tupac and Jada's relationship and how he felt about it. So this was Will Smith talking about it when he was here. Ever jealous of the love Jada had for Tupac.
Speaker 21: Yeah, that was in early days, and it was like, that's that was a big regret for me too, because I could never open up to interact with Pac. You know, they grew up together and you know, they loved each other, but they never had that, you know, they never had a sexual relationship, but they had come into that age where now that was a possibility. And then Jada was with me, but she just loved him like he was the image of perfection.
Speaker 1: But she was with the fresh prince.
Speaker 5: Want a comment.
Speaker 21: No, That's what Jada was saying all the time. She was like, I'm telling you, y'all are so similar. You will you love him and I just never I couldn't. I couldn't handle it. You know, I was just. I was the soft rapper from Philly.
Speaker 5: And he was pac right now.
Speaker 21: I was deeply insecure and just I wasn't mad enough to handle that relationship.
Speaker 4: Jesus Christ, Jada should just named this book All Eyes on Me. Man. Well, we do have the clip that you was talking about where Jada Pinkett was on all the smoke. A lot of people might not know, but he proposed to he while he was in jail.
Speaker 19: I talk about this in the book when I go to see him in Rikers, when I wrote about that in the book, and when I had to.
Speaker 4: Talk about it.
Speaker 19: Speak my words for the audible version of the book, that was probably one of the more painful hearts seeing him there, the condition that he was in, and having to leave him there, and he was in, he was, he was in, he was, he was, he was in bad shape. And so when he asked me to get married, he was at Rikers.
Speaker 22: And I knew at that time that.
Speaker 19: He needed somebody to do time with him, which I was gonna do. Anyway, you have to marry me to.
Speaker 9: Do We need to hear WILLI Smith's side of this. Will Smith's just need to remake I am mad at you. Man, you know what I'm saying. Just express all his feelings. Keep your head up about this. I'll keep your head up. You know what I mean? One of those two. No, no, no, I ain't mad at you. You know what I'm saying. Because everybody probably think he mad at Jada. Remember Jamail Hill was here yesterday saying Will not a victim, and everybody probably think he's mad at Jada. Right now, just go ahead and let join the Lucas rewrite. I am mad at you for Jada real quick. Will, I'll hit him up.
Speaker 4: Whatever you want to do with him, hit him up him, go change his first whatever you want to do.
Speaker 9: Well, we understand, Jesus. But guess what I'm getting the book. I have to read this damn book. I have to read this book. I I want to hear her speaking. I like to read like I'm old school.
Speaker 4: Can imagine her speaking at.
Speaker 5: Though, I mean, she don't sound like she sounded an interview.
Speaker 4: I like that. Yeah, I'm gonna cluse monster, Jada Pinker Smith.
Speaker 5: Okay, I don't know why.
Speaker 9: I just feel like I need to drop a bomb for you, all right, you out here doing your thug This he.
Speaker 4: Said, I ain't want to be a drug dealer's girlfriend, so I just sold it myself.
Speaker 9: This has been one of those book runs that actually has worked. I want to read the book. All right, I'm probably gonna read the book anyway, but I really want to read the book.
Speaker 5: Nothing me too.
Speaker 4: You got no copies yet, daddy, Nope, not yet? You got what how you got one copy?
Speaker 1: You keep it for.
Speaker 4: Yourself on next week? Or they sent in no copies next way? All right? All right, well we come back. We got front page news. Seland Figure will be joining us, and then Joe Claire will be here, I you know, form a rap city host also comedian.
Speaker 2: It's the breakfast slogan Morning the breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same morning.
Speaker 4: Everybody is DJ Envy Charlemagne, the God. We are the breakfast Club. Let's get back in some front page news.
Speaker 18: What up tears going on?
Speaker 4: DJ ands Charlemagne to God, to the hood Whisperer.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: Last night, Kansas City beat Denver nineteen eighteen, the NFL and the baseball playoffs. If you're still watching, the Phillies beat Atlanta Braves. They move on to the National League Championship. Siviies against the Arizona Diety. It's very important to note that the Broncos are now one in five. I mean, as of right now, the Russell Wilson era artis Sean Payton era has not worked in Denver in no way, shape or form. No, not at all. But let's jump right into the news. Let's jump into these two offices.
Speaker 9: All split verdick, God damn you jump into the two office.
Speaker 4: Come stop it, man, yanky, this morning, go ahead.
Speaker 18: It is freaky Friday.
Speaker 11: But a two officers faces split verdict in Elijah McLean's death. Listen to the report and then I'll give you just some additional information on the other side.
Speaker 23: Butt verdict and the death of Elijah McClain. The twenty three year old black man died in twenty nineteen after being subdued by police and injected with the sedative ketamine. One officer, Randy Rodema, was found guilty of egligent homicide and third degree assault, both felonies. The assault conviction carries a penalty of up to sixteen years in prison. Second officer Jason Rosenblatt was acquitted.
Speaker 18: Man naturally, Yeah, just some additional information. When he died. And again this was twenty nineteen.
Speaker 11: Remember we talked about yesterday how they moved so swiftly on Carly Russell.
Speaker 18: But this was twenty nineteen.
Speaker 11: After he was given the drug, McClean went into cardiac arrest and was declared brain dead.
Speaker 18: He died several days later.
Speaker 11: Now, the corner's report that was released in twenty twenty one, which obviously a couple of years after he died, said that the death was caused by the administration of the sedative, as you heard the report, but the coroner could not rule out the possibility of the choke hold contributed to his death because obviously a choke hold restricts blood flow to the brain. After the verdict, his mother said that this is what happens in the Divided States of America, and she was visibly a set, you know, as she left the parking lot.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is amazing to me.
Speaker 9: You know how many of these stories I can honestly say I forgot it about hear me both and I remember when this first happened, and that young man was big in for his life, you know, saying he doesn't eat meat. And it's one of those stories that when you unfortunately listen to the video, well, listen to listen to the audio. You kind of like trying to suppress out of your brain because you don't want to, you know, hear somebody suffering in that way.
Speaker 5: But it's just sad that we.
Speaker 9: Kind of we I can only speak for me, just just kind of move off from from these things and you forget that these cases are even going on.
Speaker 4: You know, it's crazy when I when I read it and I seen Elijah McLean, I was like, well, who's a lot which one is Elijah McLain because it happened so much, you know what I mean, until you know, we just bought the story up. It's very sad.
Speaker 11: And I just want to point out that during the trial because supposed to ask, you know, why how did they get in the show called what Happened with That? And the officers just said he looked suspicious in a hot crime area. He was just walking to the store. Doesn't that sound for me? You remember again Trayvon Martin. But obviously that wasn't you know, an officer's situation. But still he was walking to the store. They told him to stop. He said, you don't have the right to walk wherever I want to walk, and they said, well, you also should stop because you look suspicious. And that's what happened, so very very unfortunate. And yeah, you people forget about these you become known to them, unfortunately because it happens so much.
Speaker 9: So yeah, you know, bum ass, A bum ass dude just driving, you know what I'm saying, got the audacity to look at somebody like Elijah McClean and just he sized them up right, you know, he said, he looks sketchy and he might be a good person or a bad person.
Speaker 5: Like come on, man, it's so crazy.
Speaker 4: Now let's talk about the safest cities in America.
Speaker 18: Yeah, safet cities of America.
Speaker 11: You guys had talked earlier about you know, what's happening today in New York, but let's talk about how.
Speaker 18: A few of the a few cities have been deemed you know, not so safe.
Speaker 11: America's biggest and most famous cities have a safety problem from crime to financial problems and the threat of national disasters. So a new pole you know, has listed out these cities and wanted to give a few of them to you. Rounding out the safety cities is overall Joshua New Hampshire is number one as safe the safest cities. The others Maryland is two, South Burlington, Vermont three, Gilbert Arizona four, and Warwick Island five. In Columbia ranks as a safet city in the country when it comes to home community safety, and South Burlington is the top location for financial safety.
Speaker 5: Well Columbia, Columbia, will.
Speaker 18: Columbia, I just said it.
Speaker 9: Hold on, uh huh, must be Maryland. They damn sure ain't South Carolina to the eight oh three to metro. What's happening? Love Columbia, But no, I don't think we would ever make that.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 11: Now, the major cities that have problems is New York, Chicago, Houston to be concern right now, going on with that with the mayor's race of comers room Shiela Jackson Lee and tough on crime is one of the major issues. They're talking about San Francisco, Seattle, Atlanta, and Philadelphia.
Speaker 18: So those are the cities that have the problems according to this post.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was driving in today and it's crazy because I got to see the city change at one time. You know, we've always had a lot of homeless people, but you didn't see. It's almost looking like La. When I mean looking like La. I was driving by in La. That's what you would see, you know, homeless people intents, you would see the big boxes like you would see like the homes made out of makeshift things. And I'm starting to see that a lot in New York now. So that just tells me that they they're having a huge problem. They can't find places to put people, they can't find a people, can't find jobs. It's a lot of problems out there for New York.
Speaker 9: It's also amazing how most of the safest cities, with the exception of Columbia and Maryland, I've never heard of and they probably want to keep it that I never heard of Columbia Maryland. You never heard Columbia Maryland. No, No, I definitely heard columbu in Maryland, Columbian Maryland. But yeah, I've never heard of these cities, and they probably want to keep it that way. They're probably mad that even shot in their mouth don't blow the spot up. All right, Well, that is front page News thinking. Tis have great weekend, and make sure you subscribe to Teslan Figureos podcast as great shot. No chase of podcasts on the Black Effect, iHeart Radio podcast network and follow at tesland figure on all social media platforms.
Speaker 4: All right, now, when we come back, Joe Claire, comedian Joe Claire, former host of Rap City, will be joining us, and I hope that.
Speaker 9: You've been watching to Welcome to Rap City Documentary on BT All week Man, there's a lot of things that got left on the cutting room floor.
Speaker 5: Joe Claire will be telling us about some of those things.
Speaker 4: All right, we'll get to that next. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning, the Breakfast Club. Morning. Everybody's stej n V Charlamagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got a special guests in the building.
Speaker 5: Hold on the legendary.
Speaker 10: I see he got his Morgan State.
Speaker 1: Really bro, really bro?
Speaker 4: You know, I just you know, want to put my helmet man, please.
Speaker 17: Good morning, good morning, good morning, good morning.
Speaker 1: How y'all doing?
Speaker 4: Explain this to me?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 4: I know that the Hampton Howard rivalry, but what's Morgan State?
Speaker 16: So every HBCU thinks it's the greatest HBCU that has ever been HBCUs correct, the only real one is Morgan State. But then the other ones still feel like they are a Morgan State. So you have that Howard Hampton thing on more House thinks it's Morgan State. You know, fam you thinks it's Morgan State. And know this, I love those institutions, bring institutions who turn out incredible people. But then nines, watch your mouth. Yeah, Morgan State.
Speaker 4: Y'all was gonna go to Morgan State because that's the first school that's on the tour.
Speaker 5: You know your argument.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you I was gonna go to Morgan. I was gonna go to you know, we go to Morgan Howard vs. U Virginia, and then Hampton Hampton. Right when I went to Morgan State, I remember it like it was yesterday. The first thing we go on that on the campus well whatever you want to call it a campus.
Speaker 1: Oh no you didn't, just because y'all got that little river running behind y'all.
Speaker 4: Little school, little campus. And then you know what I seen on my dad scene, y'all was playing craps on the steps. And my dad was like, this is the same thing as Queens. Why am you gonna leave Queens to come to Baltimore.
Speaker 1: That's the school you want to.
Speaker 16: Pay Craps on the steps, That's what so mine was the complete object. As soon as I seen the crowd, like, this is the place for me, This is definitely the place for me to get a degree. It was perfect made five years. The five years thard me, well, MA to me do it for no, I ain't doing it for me.
Speaker 10: No I did.
Speaker 16: I did my five and I was an r a man. I did everything you could do at school. I was the mascot want semester. I needed a gym credit. Okay, I needed a gym credit.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 16: They was like, you wanna go lift weights or you wanna be the mask got I said, Man, give me the bed outfish I was. I was the most DC bed the ate I had on my new ballance because it was a raggedy suit. Listen Charloamade. It was a raggedy suit. At the time, we didn't have the funding to get a new mascot outfit. At that time, Mortgage State was going through something, so they gave me the old one that they used to have and the hat. The head was perfect. The suit defeat cottage. So I used to rock whatever. The bed would come out rocking fresh new Bucks, new butter Tims, and everybody who is the bed, he's fresh whoever the beds freshest band we ever had artist.
Speaker 9: If you walk on the HBCU Can and Rolling Dice schedule, you might not need to go to an HBC.
Speaker 4: It was like, this is the same thing I seen in Queens and I don't want my kid, you know, rolling craps.
Speaker 16: So what it is we wasn't rolling craft. That was a probability study. See you wasn't your father, It wasn't your pops, wasn't here. That is just a probability study I got from some kids in the engineering the park.
Speaker 4: Now let's talk about what's going on in Morgan right now. Morgan State. You know there was a shooting there recently. Yes, uh, you guys have canceled the homecoming and there was a lot going on. So have you reached back out to the school. How is everything happening now? Because I know you're big when it comes to giving back to that school.
Speaker 16: So I was supposed to actually host our homecoming gala, which is the biggest fundraiser of the year. I host the Gaily Years shirt you know, tuxedo out, and that got postponed to December the eighth. The official homecoming got canceled, but Black people. Homecoming went on as playing. They were sty oh they were still party. They called it because the homecoming got canceled. Brunch because the homegum we got canceled day party because of the So we you know, you have thousands of people who were looking forward to this weekend, so they came down and had a great time and showed solidarity after the shooting.
Speaker 1: You had mothers. There was a group of mothers who got together.
Speaker 16: Who didn't have kids in school, who came up just to show support for kids who were far away from home who needed a mom. If you need a hug, if you need to ask a mom question real quick, we're standing right here.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 1: And so while the tragedy happened, and.
Speaker 16: You know, our prayers are with those students and their families and everybody affected, there's also this gigantic push of solidarity, this gigantic push of unity. This is a new Morgan State, and we're gonna stand together to shake off some of the.
Speaker 1: Old reputation and move in a new positive way.
Speaker 16: When things like this pop up, it throws a monkey rich into the we're a new Morgan thing.
Speaker 1: So we came out even stronger. That's why I've been. I've been orange and blue since that that day.
Speaker 16: You know, my kids are walking around with the hats and everything else, and I'm screaming it out as much as I possibly can these institutions.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't have to come on here and appreciate you.
Speaker 16: What an HB means for our community. So you know, at this time in my life, I'm happy to be able to be there for my school.
Speaker 1: Whatever they need.
Speaker 16: They call me for anything, if the students need anything, my frat brothers need anything.
Speaker 4: They hit me up, and like, let's go do X, Y and Z. Do you think they should have canceled on coming.
Speaker 16: I think it was a good call by doctor Wilson is an incredible leader for that school. And let's imagine if he didn't cancel this, Black Mama, he ain't canceling. It's a tragedy. So he did the smart thing. He did the thing that someone in academia should do. Let's cancel this. Everybody else though, we went and partied and everybody had a great time.
Speaker 5: It's all the events around homecomers.
Speaker 23: Yeah, none of that.
Speaker 8: You ain't.
Speaker 4: You ain't canceling rare essence. You ain't canceling the go.
Speaker 16: Go, because you know, you're not you supposed to have a go go on Baltimore in the front first place. So the fact that you got to go go in Baltimore, oh we coming, and you're not canceling that you can't go in Baltimore. It's too old Baltimore. Now most of the country doesn't really doesn't know that. There is a unspoken rivalry between the African American community and Baltimore and the African American community in DC.
Speaker 1: They got their own language, they own and so we have two.
Speaker 16: We grew up with two different like you said, cultures, different accents, music, food, we did, way we dress, and the like. So when I got to Baltimore, there was no go go but soever you did not don't even don't even bring that up in Baltimore now because of I think because of the twenty thirty is that DC has been heavy going to Morgan State making alliances in the city. My wife is from the West Side. First, let me say that my wife is from the West side of Baltimore. And when I married a Baltimore woman, the DC women like.
Speaker 1: Hold ah ha, y'all, no, that's not what we're doing.
Speaker 4: I was like, Oh that's what we do.
Speaker 1: You you don't sleep with her, you haven't had some of that that old bait that she served.
Speaker 16: She's got a crab boy for your ass that you don't know nothing about. And so I think that there's there's there's slowly, but surely there's there's an alliance that has been coming between Baltimore and DC. At least the the hard line has been softened. I won't say that is an alliance, but the hard line has been softened. But you never hear about this rivalry that we had that goes on. I think it's the stupidest thing ever. I think that the two communities, African American communities in those major cities. D C is a major city, Baltimore's a major city.
Speaker 1: I think we need to come.
Speaker 9: Yeah, anything that brings you all together, I would think, like comedy, right, because I think your comedy underrated comedy is an underrated comedy scene in Baltimore, DC. You got Dave, you got Donall so here, so quick, just hilarious. So here's how we feel about that. The same applies. So it's like this glowing up anything coming out of Baltimore.
Speaker 16: You just automatically x and if you in Baltimore, anything coming out of DC, you just automatically x NA, you don't know them.
Speaker 1: I learned that from my bo my Baltimore gooons.
Speaker 4: What's up with y'all? I ain't saying no names, what's up a child?
Speaker 1: But I know some straight goods. And you know Baltimore.
Speaker 4: You know the wire was real.
Speaker 16: Let's let's let's keep let's keep it the buck. The wire was real. And the climate in Baltimore.
Speaker 1: It's it's serious, it's very very serious. So it's gonna take thirty forty years for that alliance to pop off.
Speaker 16: If you're talking about black folks who are setting their ways. Black folks are very very slow to change. And unless you have a reason to change, a very straightforward reason to change, ain't ain't gonna be that much change.
Speaker 4: When we come back. Got kicking it with Joe Claire, so don't move gets the Breakfast Club. Good morning warning everybody, it's dj n V Charlomagne the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. But kicking it with Joe Claire. Of course, from Rap City Charlamagne.
Speaker 9: You got into comedy, yes okay, and then comedy led to radio or TV.
Speaker 1: First comedy led to TV first.
Speaker 5: Because I was watching RAPS.
Speaker 4: I was watching the doc and I saw that you called Rap City every day.
Speaker 16: Listen, bro I called rap City once. I called BT once a week. I was watching the show every day like everybody else, Rap City, Rap City? Who is the host at the time, Da Joe and Chris and Lez had just come on, Liz had just come on, and I'm watching every day.
Speaker 19: Now.
Speaker 16: BT is in Northeast, which is not too it was. It wasn't too far from my house. I'm like, I'm close, I'm this close. So I started calling like four one one and then can I have the director? And they finally get me Keith Patchell, and I get his voicemail and I leave the message and he didn't call back.
Speaker 1: Let me call hi again.
Speaker 16: You know when you nineteen and you got that, you don't have any clue how the end of street works. So I just kept calling. Well, he never called me back. But a friend of mine, J Nice, who was in the episode last night. Djj Nice was DJing, He's like, gonna be on Rap City tomorrow, said you gonna be a Rap City tomorrow? Roll Like, yeah, sure, I said, where y'all shooting? At I said, te him the mayk a shot in my house. He said, all right, cool, I'll tell him. He now, I hadn't told anybody. I was calling Rap City every week, look like goddamn food. So he called me back and said, Yo, we'll be at your house tomorrow.
Speaker 4: He left.
Speaker 16: I said, you're gonna be at my house tomorrow? At he living to shoot. Rap City said yes, he said, we'll be at your house tomorrow. I said, cool.
Speaker 1: I hung up the phone.
Speaker 4: And for people listening in that don't know, b E T used to be out of DC, right, they weren't in New York. They used to be on DC.
Speaker 1: It was out, it was out of It was out of DC. So showing up.
Speaker 16: They show up the next day and Chino XL bomping my wounded. So I'm like, oh man, I'm you know, I'm my mind blowing. I'm a hip hop head on my mind whatever y'all need.
Speaker 15: I got.
Speaker 1: Being in the refrigeray, we had no We had no furniture. I had a bar.
Speaker 16: It was exposed bricks, wall, spiral, staircase, fireplays, nothing.
Speaker 1: No furniture. It was perfect for a Rap City shoot. Anyway, the producer.
Speaker 4: Says, hey, man, you a comedian?
Speaker 3: I said, yeah, he said, I saw you.
Speaker 1: You open for Paul Mooney.
Speaker 16: Now I had snuck in Paul Mooney showing beg for five minutes this time.
Speaker 1: They always told me no.
Speaker 16: But this time when of the security knew me from the club, like, nah, that's funny, put him on.
Speaker 10: So I got on. They let me do that.
Speaker 1: Fast forward eight months later, Yo, you open for Paul Mooney.
Speaker 4: I was like, yay.
Speaker 16: He's like, man, you funny, but I didn't know your name. Blah blah blah blah blah. Hey we might be looking for Yeah. All he had to say is we might be looking I'm your guy.
Speaker 10: Whatever look for, I can do it.
Speaker 16: And he had me shoot a few things while I was standing there with Chino excel in them and then they gave me a couple of auditions and next thing you know, I was the I was co hosted with Big Legs.
Speaker 4: You know what I realized last night watching that documentary.
Speaker 9: Not realized it reminded me you and last had some of the greatest chemistry I've ever.
Speaker 4: Mean, any duo have period. Did y'all know each other before that?
Speaker 22: Up?
Speaker 16: So I worked really well with women, specifically because of what I was taught about women, and then my brother taught me about respecting people.
Speaker 1: Period.
Speaker 16: That's how That's what me and Liz were off the break And since she was already there, she knew more than I did, so I kind of gave her this big sister thing.
Speaker 1: YO, show me this and show me that, and how does this work? And I don't know these hip hop guys? And oh who is that?
Speaker 4: Could you?
Speaker 1: Can you introduce me? That's how that chemistry worked out? Now some of her friends?
Speaker 18: What's up with Joe?
Speaker 4: It was a different.
Speaker 1: Let me show you a little bro dude.
Speaker 4: So why did you leave? What ended with Rhapsody? Why did you leave? Rap Cdy?
Speaker 16: So I'll tell you. I'll tell you both versions. The version from where I sit now in my fifties. Stephen Hill was a guy coming into BT who needed to to make his thing work.
Speaker 1: He had been hired to make this thing work.
Speaker 16: That means people gonna get let go, sets are gonna get changed, systems are won't get tossed up. I was new to that though, I didn't know that that's how that worked. And we were a Beet family up until that point when it happened Stephen Hill call me and Liz in his office and he.
Speaker 1: Says, so, you know, we're gonna go in another direction. I was like, cool, what's the direction.
Speaker 24: I had?
Speaker 1: I had never heard that before.
Speaker 16: I had never heard were going in another direction more times, I had never heard everything that was right exactly. That was the first time I heard that, and that meant that you would be you, you would get in let go. From how I understood the industry at that time, I thought that was just the most move, like he ain't shake my hand and like take us to lunch and be like, bro, we love you, but you know this is what it is. And then then it was just a cold, uh, we're going in another direction. And to his credit, man, he came in and did what he had to do and look at where I where BT went from there.
Speaker 1: It became such an iconic brand for everybody.
Speaker 9: But I was wondering, and I was I was thinking about the dog watching this last night. Did you and Les even get a chance to audition for one O six? Because that was the other thing that happened. They launched one O six and kind of phase rap City I didn't.
Speaker 4: Even have that would make that was the no brain of them.
Speaker 16: So so what happened is out not rap City kept going kept but but but the shiny jewel no network rap City.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 16: And what I didn't even know about one O six in Park until I got tapped to do Mad Sports. I was living here in the Tri State. I was living in Jersey and I was coming into the city all the time. And so uh, they changed a New York New York's and new Hub and all this other stuff, and I started doing Mad Sports.
Speaker 1: I started hosting that show. So I had to come up to the BT offices one day. I see AJ.
Speaker 16: But I had known AJ from Howard when he was a party promoter and a kid, you know, a dude around town in DC from you know, college scene. We would bump heads a lot.
Speaker 4: So I was like, oh you doing here?
Speaker 1: He's like yo on the new show.
Speaker 4: I was like, what's the show?
Speaker 1: He's like one of those six in Park. I was like boom back, like, let me know.
Speaker 16: If you need anything, you know, good going, Good to see you. I'll catch you on I'm doing Mass Sports. And that's how I found out about One of six and Park.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 9: It just baffles my mind because when you got two talented people like yourselves. You would think that y'a would always be top of the mind.
Speaker 5: For BT.
Speaker 1: It's the game. Yeah, the game.
Speaker 16: Come on, you've seen it. You've seen both of us, all of us seen the game is. And let me say this for the people who are listening. When you get into this industry, any media, music, entertainment and all those other things, remember that you chose this game because the games got rules that you did not set in place.
Speaker 1: You got to learn how to roll with.
Speaker 16: Them rules and keep getting getting ahead or become a bitter old used to be I could have been type of mouth. I was like, I them is the rules, keep it moving. I still go out every weekend and go get a bag telling jokes, you know. So when they making all these changes and things are going up and down, Okay, I'll see y'all on Monday, cause I'm in Tallahassee this weekend. Oh you catch me, and you know I'll be in La this week and tell a joke. So for me, a lot of that got to roll off my back. And I'm remembering this.
Speaker 1: The game man.
Speaker 4: Then they after you guys, was Ticker and then Tiger, so Ticker was on with us. Ticker started doing news and then he became like, it's three hopes.
Speaker 16: So it was me, Lez and Tigger, and then Steven came and was like, Okay, why don't we just keep Ticker And that's how that worked.
Speaker 1: Now, Ticker and I go back to Sunday Night hip Hop show on.
Speaker 16: WPGC, and and that's what we me and Tigger used to flow every Sunday night.
Speaker 5: You you was always nicer than Ticket too.
Speaker 4: By the way, that's gonna throw that out there as a rapper, Smooter Ticket.
Speaker 16: You know, while I am a comedian and I take hip hop very very seriously, I never tried to be on the show saying I'm a rapper.
Speaker 1: Let me stay in my place because this is too hot.
Speaker 16: I like cats who have record deals, cats who are moving and shaking in this industry that we love so much, So let them shine.
Speaker 4: I want to ask too. You know, back then, you know, when we see people on TV, for some reason, we automatically thought they was rich, right, we thought they were getting brand. They talk, That's what you see them on television, right. Do you remember how much you were making back then?
Speaker 16: Did anybody see the documentary when Deborly said we were on a shoe string budget. You know that little thing at the end of the shoe string. Yes, that's the budget we would not the little plastic. Yeah, yeah, that's the budget we had at Rap City. So that's why I kept a radio job and comedy. So when I do Rap Studio, do television, do radio, those things are just adding to I'm already getting.
Speaker 1: But I wasn't made. I wasn't becoming wealthy.
Speaker 4: All right. When we come back with Kicking It with Joe Claire, so don't move, it's the Breakfast Club, Good Morning, wanting everybody. It's the dej n V. Charlamagne the guy we are the Breakfast Club with Kicking It with Joe Claire of course from Rap City Charlomagne. Another thing too.
Speaker 9: I was watching the doc Man, I've always loved the interview you did with Big. That's that's the iconic interview. And I knew that was Big.
Speaker 4: I couldn't.
Speaker 9: I knew that was Big last interview. It was his last television interview. I think I think I think Swave might have been he was going, he went, did the radio? Now, did y'all shoot that in La?
Speaker 4: Shot it in La?
Speaker 16: That's what we was laying like in the park right we sent them, so we really were on a sound stage and they were shooting the hypnotized video.
Speaker 4: The dance scenes were going on in there.
Speaker 16: So they took a break from that sat us outside and that's how that interview popped off.
Speaker 9: Always wondered, were you concerned for your safety shooting that in LA at the time, because it was all the East Coast West Coast beef and all of that.
Speaker 16: I'm concerned for my safety every day, so my head is always on a swivel. So I didn't feel any more concern than I normally feel when I go to l A. I just know, like doing Rap City. The thing that I knew was when you go to somebody hood, when you go to a city, you a bide by. They rules you shut your mouth, don't start no shit won't be no. So Nah, I didn't have any extra concerns for my safety that day. We had plenty of security Anama civilian.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Then I sit and I do the interview. It's a great day season Junior Mafia right behind us, the dancing girls over there, of course, and then BIGGI said you wanna smoke something?
Speaker 1: The day just got better I'm not a.
Speaker 16: Smoker, but if you're gonna smoke with somebody, you're gonna smoke with Biggie Smoke. So I had to catch a red eye that night because I was going out on the Deaf Comedy Jam tour.
Speaker 4: This was the first night, so I had to fly home Wednesday.
Speaker 16: After getting the interview, pack my bags, get on the tour buses coming from Kicking Preland, the Jersey coming down to DC. Pick me up, and then we drive to Dallas. We do the show in Dallas. The next night we go to Houston. Do the show in Houston. Had a ball and three thirty four o'clock in the morning, kid called my phone.
Speaker 4: Like, Yo, they say, Biggie yuy shot.
Speaker 1: You know it's four o'clock in the morning.
Speaker 16: You've been out drinking, Like whatever, you know, it's just some more hip hop here say. Then my girlfriend at the.
Speaker 4: Time called me.
Speaker 1: She was like, they say, biggie guys shot.
Speaker 16: Let me on headline news. Y'a remember headline news. Then every half our first story, rapper.
Speaker 1: Christopher Wallace has gunned down.
Speaker 4: At this point, the interview wasn't out.
Speaker 5: Interview's not out.
Speaker 16: I just it was this is Sunday morning. I just was dead Wednesday. This is Sunday morning at six in the morning. So nah, no interview out.
Speaker 1: They ain't get time to try. They still in la party.
Speaker 16: And just those next couple of weeks, when I got to reflect on it, I realized I was just numb because Tupac had just died and now Biggie got killed.
Speaker 1: I was like, we cannot be that dumb?
Speaker 9: Are we?
Speaker 1: Black folks were really not that stupid?
Speaker 10: Are we? Is this who we are?
Speaker 1: Time has sewn that. Unfortunately, it's sad.
Speaker 10: It was.
Speaker 1: It was one of those times Charlemagne and Envy where I really just I'm very us.
Speaker 16: I was like, man, I man a lot of that, so a lot of the like hanging out and I just did not want to do like because I don't know what you on. And then and I watched I knew some of the most righteous dudes. Next thing I know, he come with the chain and he gotta get his swag together. You you, you've been made since you was nineteen years and ten years old.
Speaker 4: You've been made.
Speaker 1: You've been a man. I know your family, I know what you staying on you switching up because you think this is what the coach are doing. Man, my head and has colored how I see us.
Speaker 4: Since then, nothing has changed your mind about it.
Speaker 16: I mean remember, leading up to that, I sat in the middle of the East Coast West Coast thing. Every week, every day, every rapper's got something to say about the other coast.
Speaker 4: That what made you start saying the East Coast West Coast worldwide.
Speaker 1: I took it straight from the Lost Boys.
Speaker 16: Yes, we really need to we really need to do this big shout out to Mac ten and Fat Joe because I don't know if you guys remember they did a movie Thinking in Water Up something like that, and then and Fat Joe realized and Fat Joe used to be coming up to this show like man that I'm keeping the flame going on this East.
Speaker 1: Coast West Coast. After that, I see Joe and he's like, naw, they cool.
Speaker 4: And then as you used to see Mac tenn and Mac then.
Speaker 1: Like Noah, they cool. They super cool.
Speaker 16: And then you found out it really wasn't the East Coast versus it was the media making it and it was Park against Biggie, and they used to be best friends and now we're looking at really just came down the two best friends fell out. Now they have other influences, and that just got.
Speaker 3: Bigger and bigger and bigger the control.
Speaker 9: You know, we have conversations on the Breakfast Club that have ended up confrontational. Did y'all have any of those on Rap City?
Speaker 1: That y'all?
Speaker 4: Y'all?
Speaker 1: The only person who ever like tried to sum me. He summ me one time.
Speaker 16: It was my first live taping and I'm interview on Pete Rock and cl Smooth.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, my heroes. My I know they album back to back with and Forward.
Speaker 4: I know everything.
Speaker 1: I know every syllable of that album. So it's like five four three two go.
Speaker 16: I'm like, hey, it's Rap City, Joe play Hea blah blah blah blah blah blah blaha.
Speaker 4: Do my thing, So what's up with you?
Speaker 16: And then I don't get nothing from cl He's pretty So then the cameras cut off.
Speaker 1: He's like, Yo, son, you mad extra?
Speaker 5: I saiaid what what you means?
Speaker 1: Like yo over the top? Be he like mad extra, Yo, bring it down a little bit?
Speaker 16: Five four three two All right, y'alle man, Joe clar heren't Wrap City.
Speaker 1: I got bigger end for me.
Speaker 16: I took it as a vet to somebody who was in the industry, showing me what he thought I should be. No skin off my you know that's what you think I should be already know Joe clar And if it's nothing, I know joke. I know what Joe Clere do and I stayed extra for five years. I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 4: This conversation.
Speaker 1: Oh man, And we just let me get there's a few things I like to get on my chest. Make sure you follow.
Speaker 16: Make sure you follow me at Joe clare on all social media platforms. If you are in the d m V watch me every day at three o'clock on Fox five. It's called the d m V Zone. I am on news every day and you'll see it when you tune in. And other than that, just follow your boy Matt when you got to it when your next shows. I do my own shows monthly at a play at a spot called Bowie in Bowie, Maryland. So we do a comedy show in Bowie. Very intelligent, well to do black craft, so I love going in there. We got heavy hitters coming through each and every month. So just you can just check the schedule there and then let me see. I'll be at the Joe Claire dot Com. Just go that, just go thank you well, it's Joe clar ladies.
Speaker 4: And to make sure you watch the Rap City dot it's the Breakfast Club Good Morning.
Speaker 9: Watch that documentary on BT. Okay, watch the Rap City documentary this weekend. It's three parts. And I'm not telling you all that because we're on BT. I'm telling you all that because I like the documentary. He said, it's good.
Speaker 4: It's very good man.
Speaker 5: It's rap city.
Speaker 4: That's what we grew up on.
Speaker 9: I was born in nineteen hundred and seventy eight, Okay, when you grew up in that era, that's what we used to run home and watch on television. Before there was a tic tac and the Instagram and tiktoks all of other platforms.
Speaker 4: Before it was any of that, that's all we had. It was Ralph McDaniel's video music box.
Speaker 21: It was.
Speaker 4: It was rap city, and it was your own TV raps.
Speaker 9: That's the few in New York you had rald City rap City. I'm not rap City video music, but Raph McDaniels.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: We didn't have that in the rest of the country.
Speaker 4: Did you have did you have the thing where you would have to pay for videos.
Speaker 9: That was the box that was I used to see that when I used to go to visit my family in Orlando, Florida.
Speaker 5: I used to see the box. I think it was called the box. The box. Yeah, you have to pay for it.
Speaker 4: I think it was like ninety nine cent. You could pay for a video and then you'd have to wait for that video to come on.
Speaker 5: Oh know how we ever paid for videos?
Speaker 10: And what do you have?
Speaker 3: I have a credit card.
Speaker 5: I never paid for it.
Speaker 4: I just sat there and waited and hope my video came on that I went to see. I didn't remember at the box. But let's get to the rooms. Let's saw Cardi B through name or you gossip? You chatty?
Speaker 1: Is the rumor report?
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess we're on the breakfast club. This is where the tea spells right right now. Yesterday was Cardi Bee's birthday and she had a bigger stravagantens and Offset took care of her for her birthday. But they taped that she was in the car and she was smoking a cigarette and people were commenting about her smoking cigarettes. Well, you know, Cardi B, She's not never gonna hold her tongue. So she responded to those people talking down on her for smoking a cigarette.
Speaker 7: You she's out here drinking Nike will mixed with the Benajo. Yeah, popping yea even y'are even you're not even getting the right perks. And let me talk about you bitches. You pitchers went from popping perks to popping Zanny's. You pitches out here walking around with Silippe and you out here that all bitch that be yes the out smoke a little cigarette.
Speaker 4: Give me the that's just a psa from cardib She sounds like you need a cigarette, Cottie.
Speaker 9: Stop letting people scratch you out on your born day, man, damn shout out the body be now.
Speaker 4: Also Shaquille O'Neill and Alan Evison, they just been. They just got jobs at Rebox. She killed it, was announced as president of Rebox Basketball Division and Alan Iverson was named vice president, which I think is pretty dope.
Speaker 9: I love it dropping the clues bonds for Shack and AI love it. I don't think I would be wearing Rebox if it wasn't for them to absolutely yeah, I'm trying to think the only Rebox I've ever bought my life.
Speaker 4: Well, you know ions and the d Browns already.
Speaker 5: And the fifty four.
Speaker 4: Elevens, yeah, fifty four elevens or for the you know you bouy those ladies. I thought you maybe you like it. If you like it, don't worry about that for a low one. Now in the new position, he will lead both of them, will lead Rebox basketball strategy and cultivate partnerships with team athletes to execute new brand deals and regain relevance and dominance in professional basketball. So I guess they'll be using them to get new athletes signed on to Rebox Love It Now. Genie Mid was talking to Sherry Shepherd and this is what she was saying on the Shery Sheppard Show.
Speaker 22: I know because I one that has been through it and we are praying for you.
Speaker 4: But you're going through this divorce. How you doing, Mama? You know I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 22: It takes every day to just really sit and just be quiet in your thoughts, take care of me. But one thing I know is you give God your pain, he will give you his power.
Speaker 13: Period.
Speaker 22: So every day I'm like, here you go, you got room for more, here's some more.
Speaker 4: You just taking it day by day.
Speaker 22: You know, how were you handling this being a mom Monica? You know Monica that is my north star. Yeah, and I can definitely tell you that I don't know if I would handle this the same way without her, because today I'm able to look at her and I can say, what would I advise.
Speaker 4: You if you were in my shoes? Yes, and it changes everything. So I'm so thankful now we know Geez is a notoriously private person, right correct? So if you know you're soon to be uh x as a private person, maybe X maybe they working, but from what we know now, soon to be ex that.
Speaker 9: If you know you're soon to be a private person, even though it's your story, tell should you speak on it or do you not owe that person anything anymore?
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's so public now, So I guess she feels like she she you know, some things that she wants to get off a chest. But if they wanted to work, if she wants it to work, and she knows your significant other a's a private person, I think you would try to respect their wishes. I was if you was Genie, Ma, Okay, what would you do?
Speaker 9: I'd write a book and I would wait till my book comes out, and then I would say all of this on my book tour. Have y'all not learned anything from Jada Pinkett Smith? Okay, all right, but Jeezi got a book out, But Gzi ain't gonna roll, He ain't gonna ain't.
Speaker 4: Gonna move like the gosh. If I was Genie Man, I would just wait, write a book and then use this on my book tour. Yes, okay, And lastly, let's talk Monica.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: During the live conversation that the shop, Monica opened up about being forgotten by in the music industry. Oh forgot Monica? She says, She's been nominated for several awards, but I guess only one one, h and that was the one Soul Tree Award in twenty twenty, almost twenty years after she hosted.
Speaker 6: What I learned in those moments is that there's a plan for all of our lives, and it's orchestrated by somebody bigger than every person in this room. And what was meant to happen was for my life to change that day, and I was able to really enjoy my career because I didn't have any expectations.
Speaker 18: I was not worried about Awards.
Speaker 6: I'm actually a person that for all the records I've broken, I really have never won any awards. I'm really the most forgotten if you think about it. I'm pretty much the underdog, but I sit very comfortably in it because I can still go where I want, do what I won't, live how I want. But when I say that, I am often forgotten. I was hosting the Soul Train Awards, was nominated for five three of my songs in one category and still lost. But I went out to eat and kick my regular after. I was not bothered because that's not what I do it.
Speaker 5: For Wow bombs. For Monica.
Speaker 9: I feel like we celebrate Monica frequently and often no and what Monica may or may not do, so she is the subject of debates. Monica and Brandy has been debated at barber shops and dice games for years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I don't think we celebrate Monica as we should the amount of hits and the amount of the records that she's put on the board, and even myself. You know, I got to this summer I was actually on tour with Monica. It was like an R and B tour, R and B and comedy tour and you just meeting personally. I forgot how many hits and how many records she had. Man, when she was performing, she was just what I was, was just hit after hit after hitting. The crowd was singing you be like, Damn, I forgot about that. Damn I forgot about Monica and Brandy had their verses. I know, I was on this radio telling y'all I got Monica all day long. Look, I think I think for a lot of people in our generation, at least gonna speak for me. I'm not gonna speak for everybody, okay, because I can't no such thing. But I feel like it's Mary J. Blige and then as far as solo R and B female artists, it's Monica for me, for me and my generation. For me, I'm just stound there trying to say, marry Ja, Yeah she's married. You know that's she's a god. She's another let that it's Monica. Yeah, that's just my personal opinion. Just trying to think before I agree with You'm trying to think if there's anybody.
Speaker 9: Else fight yourself in the comments, argue with your stuff, because I don't be on there check it off.
Speaker 5: You ain't gonna be arguing with.
Speaker 4: Me from that era? You mean from our era to nineteen hundreds us, I'm talking about our generation.
Speaker 9: I ain't talking about all time. I'm talking about from our generation. Yeah, I would agree for me and mine. I would agree it's married and it's Monica.
Speaker 4: I would agree with you.
Speaker 5: R and B solo female artist from.
Speaker 4: That Yeah, I would agree with you.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I can't think anybody else? Can you think of about us?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 9: Nor read for the rican you say she care or something you right now? You say, Jennifer Lopez, let me jumping in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right. We gotta beat him up. They all right, Well, that is your room or report now don't candy, who are giving your donkey? Two?
Speaker 9: Listen for after the hour man, we need a teacher to come to the front of the congregation. This teacher's name is Stephen Taylor. Now this is a great teachable moment for teachers because if you don't want to be in the classroom, we don't want you there.
Speaker 4: We'll discuss, right, we'll get to that next. It's the breakfast Club. Good morning, the breakfast Club. Your mornings will never be the same.
Speaker 10: That donkey up to.
Speaker 16: Damn, but he hogged it's time for donkey.
Speaker 1: I me ain't trying to be donkey today no more.
Speaker 9: They should be embarrassed by what they already did. I'm not making these people do these.
Speaker 4: Days called donkey of the day, and it really caught me off guard.
Speaker 6: Damn Charlamagne, who got the donkey out of day today?
Speaker 9: Well, jess hilarious donkey today for Friday, October thirteenth.
Speaker 4: Friday thirteenth, go to a Kansas teacher named Steven Taylor.
Speaker 9: Well, actually a Kansas teacher who got fired named Steven Taylor. Yes, Steven Taylor was fired from Old Laces Mill Creek Campus Alternative School in September after board members objected to a series of TikTok videos Steven Taylor had made. If it ain't that damn tiktac, it's Instagram. If it ain't that damn Instagram, it's Facebook. If it ain't that damn Facebook, it's the twenty fourth letter in the alphabet. When will y'all realize that whatever happens online and can absolutely impact your life offline?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 9: And Stephen Taylor has learned that the hard way, But maybe he doesn't care because he doesn't want to be a teacher anyway. See, Steven has been a stand up comedian for eight years and a teacher for six. And I feel for Steven because he says the reason he's doing comedy on Tickless is because he only gets paid forty five thousand dollars a year and he works all the time. I'm telling you right now, I'll be the first to tell you that I believe teachers are criminally underpaid. Dropping the clues bond for all the teachers out there. My mother was a public school teacher in Berkeley County and South Carolina. She told me that the most she ever made it annually was thirty grand a year. That's why teachers are so special, because most teachers want to be teachers because they genuinely enjoy teaching. They genuinely enjoy pouring into our badass little kids. Do you understand the enormous responsibility we put on teachers. Not only do they teach our kids, but the fact that we are trusting our kids were for another adult for several hours a day. Think about that. Think about that for a second. Just think about that, vy we all paying. It's red you a parent, We are parents, right? Think about how protective we are over our children, yet we entrust another adult to watch.
Speaker 5: Over them for several hours a day.
Speaker 9: It's quite unbelievable that we trust teachers the way we do, yet we don't compensate them financially, okay, the way they should be anyway. And in some cases you end up getting guys like Steven Taylor who eventually revealed themselves to be people who shouldn't be teachers. Would you like to know some of the things Steven Taylor was doing, Well, let's go to tick Seed for the report.
Speaker 24: Teachers, if a student is annoying you, just remember you can lie. There's nothing that says you have to tell the truth all the time. I teach history, I tell my students the wrong stuff all the time.
Speaker 10: When they annoy me.
Speaker 24: I tell them that Abraham Lincoln invented the car, that's why it's named after him. I tell them Logan Paul and Jake Paul had a great grandfather named Paul Revere. Because they don't even know how names work anymore. And I crop dust them all the time. I save a big milky lactose intolerant farts, and I drop bombs silently because I'm an adult and I know my body and then I just let it steal and then I.
Speaker 10: Walk away and I go, oh my god, it stinks over there. And then they have to sit with it.
Speaker 24: And you know what, they can't fire me because they need me too badly.
Speaker 5: Damn is mother, Steven Taylor, I was entertained.
Speaker 4: Cut it short.
Speaker 5: He's still getting donky now.
Speaker 9: He could just be practicing material via to cal But even if he is, our kids are too precious to be.
Speaker 5: Playing with now. I'm not with the crop dusty, all right, don't fought on my kids.
Speaker 9: Brouh directly or indirectly that I don't fart in my clothes, So I damn sure I'm not gonna fight on anybody, especially somebody's kids.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 9: I have a lot of rules to fart in. Number one, if you fought while you're praying, the prayer is nulling. Boy, don't even play with God like that, all right. The Bible says God created man and his image of courting to his likeness. So if someone was speaking to you and pleading to you about something, asking you for something, and they just fought it while he was asking you for something, would you take them serious or grant theory quests Okay, I know the answer is no. That's how God feels when you fought while praying.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 9: Another fart rule I have is I don't think men should fart around other men. I personally believe a man faughtening around another man is a very primal way of flirting.
Speaker 4: You want me to know what's your ass smell?
Speaker 10: Like?
Speaker 9: Okay, our lack thereof. So if it's a very loud fart with no smell, he's letting you know he's ready for action. Right Honestly, Stephen Taylor might have to register as a sex offender. Okay, intentionally, purposefully and wolfully dust cropping kids, all right? Do you know farting on humans under the age of eighteen is illegal? To your googles? Do your googles google it right now? It's a formal chemical warfare. You've heard of tear gas? Yes, farting on people is considered rare gas, and it's a felony in fifty states.
Speaker 5: Now his thing. I just made that whole foughting on people as a felony thing up.
Speaker 9: But you should believe me even when I'm lying, because a person that's honest about lying is a person you can trust. This is why you can't trust Stephen Taylor because Stephen said he lies to his students all the time. He says, I tell my students the wrong things all the time when they annoy me, right, when they annoy me. Clearly a joke. But the reason you can't trust him is because he says he only lies to his students when they annoy him. I don't trust people who lie when they are annoyed.
Speaker 5: Are mad.
Speaker 9: I only trust people who lie for fun like me. Now here's the reason Stephen Taylor is getting donkey today. It's simply because he made the choice to get fired. What do you mean he made the choice to get fired. Well, let's go to WDAF Fox Walford Report Police.
Speaker 5: Today.
Speaker 24: I woke up, got ready, went to work, only to find the parking lot empty because today's President's Day and I'm a teacher and also an idiot.
Speaker 17: Stephen Taylor has been a stand up comedian for eight years and teacher for six, most recently Oleeitha's Mill Creek Campus Alternative School, and he also makes TikTok videos.
Speaker 24: The reason that I'm doing comedy on TikTok is to make money, because you only pay me forty five thousand dollars a year, and I work all the time.
Speaker 17: The series of videos at the beginning of the school year got him called into HR with the unusual question how often he passes gas near students. He was told to take the videos down and ask to see the district's social media policy.
Speaker 24: They don't understand it. The social media policies are designed for MySpace. They are years behind where we're currently at in the world, which is TikTok is alive and well everybody's on it pulse.
Speaker 17: It goes on and say you shouldn't post anything online you wouldn't say at a public meeting or a member of the media. Dom Taylor's talked to both as the district moved for termination after he says he refused to sign a non disclosure agreement and resign.
Speaker 9: All you had to do was take the video down, Stephen, and you would still have your job. Are you making forty five thousand dollars a year on ttoko bell If not, what's the point?
Speaker 4: Okay, this is what I'll be saying. When folks choose viral overvalue, a paycheck has actual little, actual monetary value. Going viral on TikTok boom could have some monetary value, but clearly for you it's not.
Speaker 9: And if ticket Hold is not paying your bills, then there's nothing to discuss. Just take the video down. But Stephen, God works in not so mysterious ways. I'm glad you didn't take it down because it's good. Know what your priorities are, all right. You don't want to be a teacher anyway, You want to be a stand up comic. We don't want you to be a teacher because you don't want to be. If your priority when you are in the classroom is not our kids, then beat it, all right. We only need teachers teaching our kids that want to be there for a paycheck. Is your motivation for being a teacher, then you have zero motivation because teachers don't make no damn money. Sadly, Okay, all right, But Steven, I need you to hear this. Teaching is not a job. It's a lifestyle. It permeates your whole life. All you doing, Steven is permeating poops. Okay, And always remember, a teacher cannot teach anybody anything. A teacher can only make you think. And Stephen Taylor's case, he doesn't want to teach anybody anything. He can only make things stink. Please give Steven Taylor the sweet sounds of the Hamiltons.
Speaker 8: Oh no, you are the dog gee of the day, the dog gee all the day.
Speaker 4: So you've never cropped ust to the plane before.
Speaker 5: I don't fart in my clothes, you notice.
Speaker 4: I think that's a lie. I don't fought in my clothes.
Speaker 9: I don't disrespect me. I don't fart in my clothes. I don't believe it clothes one of the times I'm lying, I don't fart my clothes. How do I know if you're telling the truth when you always LYE, I'm not always lying? First of all, did you tell you when I'm lying? That's why you can trust me? Okay, A person that's honest about lying is a person you can trust. I tell you believe me when I'm lying. I tell you before I lie that i'm lying. I tell you immediately after i'mlying. I lie that i'm lying.
Speaker 4: You're lying? Red? Have you ever passed gas on a plane?
Speaker 10: Red? You lie?
Speaker 9: I feel like yes, people who pass gas on the plane or poop on the plane should be arrested.
Speaker 4: Innocent closed space The air is already very thin up there. It's disgusting sending you ever passed gas on a plane. She's saying, talk to Nick. That means yes, Nick, a lion you when you went to New Or leads you that long gass fight. You're in past gas one time, no.
Speaker 9: Man clothes and if you go to the bathroom like a civilized person, pull your pants.
Speaker 5: Down, fart and go back to your seat.
Speaker 9: Cap All right, well, I can only tell you, all right, well, I ain't here to make you understand.
Speaker 4: When we come back, Vlad, we'll be joining us. Of course. You know Blad DJ Ladd. He has Blad TV, and we're gonna kick it with him when we come back. It's crazy how Vlad don't sound right by itself. You either got to say DJA Blad TV. When you just say Vlad, it don't sound right, not at all. But we're gonna kick it with it when we come back. It's the breakfast Slow, come on.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club morning.
Speaker 4: Everybody is DJ n V, Charlamagne, the gud. We are the breakfast Club. You got a special guest in the building. Yes, indeed, I know miss DJ Flad, but everybody else knows Miss Blad TV flat here.
Speaker 10: What up, Lad? What's up?
Speaker 1: It's been a minute man.
Speaker 9: First of all, Blad, I want to tell you congratulations because you you are responsible for helping the family of two Oxy Corps get justice enclosure because of some of your interviews you did with Keef d on Black TV.
Speaker 5: I've already said it. I think you should win a Peabody.
Speaker 9: If you was any other journalist outside of hip hop, I think you would get get some type of an award for that.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 5: How do you feel, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, the purpose wasn't for him to get locked up or anything else like that, because, as I've said before, when Las Vegas ped reached out to me, I didn't respond. I didn't cooperate.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: My whole thing was, this is a story I'd heard for I mean for a long time, for close to about eighteen years or so, and by actually sitting down with Keifey and getting his whole story from beginning to end, at the end of the interview, I'm like, okay, I pretty much saw the case at this point. A shout out to Greg Katie who actually got the you know, the original KVD confession. But in terms of the public that was the first time Kify actually told the entire story of how it happened, what led up to it, what happened that night, what happened afterwards. So I mean, ultimately, I don't think anyone could really be surprised.
Speaker 4: I thought from maybe the interviews it made it seem like he had a deal already on the table. Was any of that true? Like that thought that was the reason why he was able to talk about it, right.
Speaker 3: So he had a profit agreement. So when Greg Katy met up with him, keefy d was Greg Katying. Greg Katy was was an LAPD investigator who was looking into the entire case. He had caught Keefe in this huge PCP ring and Keify was facing life in prison. So what happened was there's something called a profit agreement aka queen for a day, meaning that you could sit down with someone that could ask you a whole bunch of questions and you could admit to all the crimes you did that day and you can't be charged with any of those crimes, and in exchange, they dropped the whole PCP case against him. He was able to walk free. But the thing about profit agreements, from what I understand is that it's called queen for a day because it's only valid that particular day. So if you choose to retell that story afterwards, you could potentially get charged for it. A little bit of a gray area, you know, And I think that his lawd is probably going to be fighting in terms of that. But I think Keithy was in an assumption that he said at once he could say it as many times as he wants, and I don't think that's the case when it comes to proffer agreements.
Speaker 4: When you say that Vegas police wanted you to co op, what did that mean?
Speaker 3: I think they wanted the raw footage. Okay, I actually have the voicemails from them like oh, we've been trying to reach you and everything else like that, and I think they they thought that maybe there's a bunch of things in because we did two interviews that they could use in the case that we didn't publicly release. But if you know flat TV and both of you have been on flat TV, we use damn near every second of the footage, so they're kind of barking up the wrong tree. But my whole thing was that if someone interviews on my platform, I'm not going to turn around and then work with the police against them, regardless of what it is that they said. It's just business wise, you know, in terms of my values, is not what I do. So I didn't choose to cooperate.
Speaker 5: By way, What could they ask you that they didn't hear themselves.
Speaker 3: It's all out there, and he's done multiple interviews. It's not just flat TV. Yeah he did that. He did a few other ones. So it's kind of like he.
Speaker 5: Wrote a book.
Speaker 4: He wrote a book.
Speaker 10: Well, and that's the whole thing.
Speaker 3: People thought that I got this whole confession out of the blue, Like before we did the interview, we got a.
Speaker 1: Copy of the book.
Speaker 3: We read through the entire book, and that interview was the blueprint of that interview was that book. So there are certain parts where I asked him a question he didn't really want to answer it. My thing was like, well, the book says X, Y and Z and then so he had to kind of address that. But if you write a book about a crime, I have no problems interviewing you about the book that you wrote.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and it's not even just a KVD interview that I think I would say constitution you winning something like a peabody.
Speaker 4: It's all the interviews you did surrounding it. It's the Grey Kating who else?
Speaker 13: Who?
Speaker 9: Like the if this is the Vlad cinematic universe, what would be all the interviews you got to watch to get the full start?
Speaker 3: I mean Greg, Greg Kating, who was the lead investigator, Chris Carroll, who was the first responder that showed up, you know, at the scene after a Pak got shot and Shug got Grace Edi. I mean, who's the car behind Tupac when he got killed?
Speaker 4: So to watch the said watch the Kifi Greg kting.
Speaker 3: Ed, I mean Chris Carroll. Yeah, just a lot of pieces got put together.
Speaker 4: Now did he ever say it was was Pack the attended target or was it Shugary intended target? Or because I did see that they thought Pak was grabbing a gun allegedly and they were returning fire or something like that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I pressed him on that, he didn't really, you know, admit to that. But from everything I heard. I remember, I talked to the co writer of that book and he told me that when he first met up with Kifi, he was like, look, man, I'm I'm very pro black, I'm very positive. How do you feel about, you know, your role in killing one of you know, one of our great hip hop icons. And Keifi's response was, they had no business putting their hands on my on my nephew, like you know what I'm saying. And the thing is, like everyone is so shocked because it's Tupac. But right now, somewhere in America, some you know, gang affiliate gang member just got beat up and it's out there grabbing their gun right now to go retaliate.
Speaker 4: Of course, this is.
Speaker 3: Standard procedure when it comes to this type of world. So so everyone's shocked because it's Tupaca. We love Tupac, but this is how things happen in this type of lifestyle. Unfortunately, unfortunately.
Speaker 9: You know, it's interesting when you say your intention wasn't to solve the case. So I guess people would say, what is the point of doing all of these interviews? What is Vlad TV's intention when he puts together all of these different interviews.
Speaker 3: My intention wasn't for him to be convicted to put him in jail. Like, I'm just a huge Tupac fan. Like, if you you know, I loved All Eyes on Me is one of my favorite all time albums. I mean what, he's just such a charismatic individual. I mean, you could it'd be hard to argue that Tupac is not the greatest rapper of all time. Shout out to Tabiggie, shout out to Nipsey. But if you look at worldwide, you see more Tupac murals around the world than any other rap And that's because I think that outside of the rapping and the good songs, there was a social commentary involved in what he did. There was the struggle and that everyone in every country could really relate to. So my whole thing is like, oh, this is my favorite rapper, and here's a story that's unsolved. But like everyone in law knew this story. It was like the worst kept secret in LA. So let's try to put it out there and bring out to the public because there's so many conspiracy theories abound. It sug had him killed, the government had it killed, had him killed.
Speaker 4: He's in Cuba.
Speaker 1: Somewhere, like you know what I mean, He's still alive.
Speaker 3: He's you know, he faked his own death. It's like a lot of them was so ridiculous that I wanted to put a piece together that that had all the different angles of the same story and they're all matching up.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 4: Was you was supposed to interview with Keef D again before he was raided up?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he reached out to me. We had a conversation. He had already gotten arrested, his house got raided, and I'm like, all right, well, I'm just gonna leave it alone. But then he reached out to me, had a conversation with me, and then you know, his co writer was the one that I kind of communicate with a lot when it comes to this type of thing. They're like, he wants to do another interview. It's like, all right, you know, we gave him.
Speaker 4: A deposit he hadn't asked for me paid for interview.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I paid for for both of his interviews.
Speaker 4: Pays for a lot of interviews. People don't know that.
Speaker 3: It's like, well, for certain interviews and other ones that I don't pay for my regular guests, I'll get paid absolutely, which which makes sense Boosy and tk kirkl regular guests get paid if you see him on blad TV over and over again. You know, we make money, so we choose to compensate our guest as well. So I mean he reached out, we gave him like a small deposit, wasn't It wasn't really a lot of money, And I figured that I'm probably not going to see this again because you know, his house got raided and I was hearing that there was a grand jury underway and there was a possible indictment coming. And from what I understand, he hit up a few other outlets and got deposits from all of them. So I think he was just trying to gather up money because he knew that he was about to go away.
Speaker 10: So it is what it is.
Speaker 6: To me.
Speaker 3: It was not a big deal and it was to be expected.
Speaker 4: All right when we come back with kicking him with Vlad TV some more.
Speaker 1: So don't move.
Speaker 4: It's the breakfast club on b ET morning. Everybody is DJ n V Charlemagne, the guy. We are the breakfast club were still kicking it with DJ Vlad Vlad TV Charlamagne.
Speaker 5: Now you know, this situation doesn't help.
Speaker 4: The rumors are the stigma of the lad curselad.
Speaker 9: Curse Ladder defend. People say a lot of folks get jammed up after they interview with you. Do you ever feel bad or regrets, you know, doing those interviews after folks get caught.
Speaker 3: Well, the stigma's a stigma, man like, like people going to say, last the police blattis de fans. I've heard it literally for fifteen years, you know, but ultimately it's just not true. But in this case, I mean it is true to a certain degree. And you know, if people are mad at me for helping to solve the murder of the greatest rapper of all time, I'm okay with that now.
Speaker 4: Also, recently, you did an open letter to I always call it an open letter, open let it's kind of like an open tweet, yeah, to Drake and Calik. Correct, Now, why did you feel like you wanted to write a tweet to them?
Speaker 3: Well, you start of see what's been happening right when you used to look at the Gaza Israel situation. It's horrific. And I put out a statement about that myself where I said that I feel sorry for all the citizens you know, from Israel and Palestine that are caught up and what their leaders are choosing to do. You know what I'm saying. I don't agree with what Netanyahoo has done in Gaza in terms of blockading the country, reincreating essentially an open air prison. And I definitely don't support what Hamas did in terms of killing hundreds of people, beheading babies and everything else like that. It's a serious topic. And when I sat back and looked at it, it's like, Okay, Drake is the most famous Jewish person on earth essentially, right, who else cou could do a tour and fill out colosseums worldwide? Who's Jewish besides Drake? Calin is the most famous Palestinian in the world. But neither one of them has said anything about this at all. And people saying, well, well, they're not politicians whatever. They influence hundreds of millions of people, which ultimately has an influence on the world, and you're not choosing to say anything. And Drake, who has a Jewish mother, you know, which by Jewish law makes him Jewish, but not only that, his parents got divorced when he was five years old, and he grew up with his Jewish mother and her Jewish relatives in Forest Hills, which is a Jewish community in Toronto.
Speaker 1: He had a bar mitzvah.
Speaker 3: And then when this happens, he doesn't say anything because I think that he doesn't want to potentially affect his record sales.
Speaker 5: Well, why did they have to say anything him? Like, why why does him RK. Kalin have to say anything publicly?
Speaker 3: They don't have to say anything, But I'm saying as representatives of these communities, their voices are powerful and they should say.
Speaker 4: Something, just like I have said what it is supposed to say. Though, But you're educated on the topic, clearly, and they.
Speaker 3: Don't have people around them to educate them. They have access to the highest level of everybody, you know what I mean, in terms of professors, experts and so forth.
Speaker 9: But even being educated on something don't mean you have an understanding of it to be able to express it. And you don't want somebody to craft something for you and just post it on your social media. And I've been watching celebrities all week, you know, say some of the stupidest Like I saw Justin Bieber post pray for Israel, but he put up a picture of Palestine and had to pray for Israel over the picture of Palatine.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like one of those things.
Speaker 9: If you really don't know what you're talking about, you probably should just sit it out.
Speaker 3: But you probably should learn about it because I mean this is before Drake was a rapper, he was Jewish, Before Khaled was a stuper producer, he was Palestinian. Like this runs deep. You know what I'm saying that this is the essence of who they are, of their families and their communities. Like Drake was raised in a Jewish community. I'm sure his relatives feel a certain type of way about this. And look like Drake has taken all types of shots of Kanye. When Kanye went out as Hitler rants, Drake didn't say anything specifically.
Speaker 1: About that, but he takes shots at him.
Speaker 4: Like if something happened with George Floyd or if something happened in our community, and you say absolutely positively nothing as a black person, right, I.
Speaker 9: Don't think you have to, though. I think if that's your thing, sure, but I don't think you're obligated to.
Speaker 3: You're not obligatd But I feel like you should say something in your position. And my example was Tupac when something happens that's close to his community. Pac was was gonna say something, well, yeah, but the caliber of you know, like where Drake is where Tupac was something I.
Speaker 5: Was about one to one As far as the type of people.
Speaker 9: They were, like Tupac was socially conscious, you know, like Tupac's mother was a radical, a black panther.
Speaker 4: That's not I don't I got it. That's not who those are. I'm not I get what you're saying, right, because if you look at what happened in our community during their time with George Floyd and people were protesting. I think everybody that had a little bit of influence as something, whether it was Lebron James, whether it's a comedian, whether it's a celebrity, whether it's an actor.
Speaker 3: All of those people always do those ron Lebron has just chimed in, but you're not always.
Speaker 5: Chiming in on social issues.
Speaker 4: That's when he's again, Michael Jordan has right, and people were saying Michael Jordan didn't so Danvers and there's a criticism with him.
Speaker 3: But ultimately, I feel like when you're at a certain level, like you have a responsibility because you have so many people like you could shift global thought with just a simple statement.
Speaker 9: But because to me, I'm like, what if drinking kald are doing things behind the scene. I think that's more powerful than a tweet or an Instagram post. Like, you're not going to change people's minds on a seventy five year old situation.
Speaker 4: How long had it just been going on for?
Speaker 9: How long?
Speaker 3: Thousands of years?
Speaker 1: Thousands?
Speaker 4: Yes, oh shoots, I know thousands.
Speaker 3: Okay, but yeah, man, it's said.
Speaker 9: I just don't want us to have a because I already think America has like unhealthy obsession with celebrity and like we're always looking for celebrity to fix the world problems.
Speaker 4: Like when I when I.
Speaker 9: Thought, I promise you when I was the first time I heard about this, I did not think of Draco call. I went to people like scholars and academics, you know, that's the people I want to hear from.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But but like Charlotte Maye, like before you were on the radio, you were black and you had to deal you have a black family, and you understand black issue. You know, like you you could injure, like you could walk out of the breakfast club right now and become a private citizen and never have to do anything, but you'll still be black. Certain things should run deep with you, you know, with everyone.
Speaker 4: But we don't know if they don't. You don't know how Draker Kalla feels about it, like what do we want to Instagram post a tweet. Ye, that's true because we don't know what they're doing. They could be behind it.
Speaker 3: Just you know, name mean more famous Palacinian than cant.
Speaker 4: I'm with you, but I don't know how. I can't say he don't feel anything about the situation because he didn't.
Speaker 3: Pot he's not but not speaking about it, but he's speaking about his new Jordan's you know what I'm saying. He's doing sneaker shopping right now. Drake is doing this whole, this whole like literally writing paragraphs about Joe Bunden because his feelings were hurt or album criticisms.
Speaker 1: So it's not like they're too busy.
Speaker 3: They have time to put out things, you know, like for example, like Andrew Tate was disparaging Canadian men. Did you see that? Yeah, he was saying, oh, yeah, you know, you know what I'm talking about it. He's saying, oh, a man from Canada, there's no such thing. Drake's respond Drake responds green light on Andrew Tate. So when Canada gets insulted, he needs to come up and say something. But when his own community that he grew up with his mother his everyone's like that he's remaining silent. But I think ultimately, and in my tweet, I think they're too worried about staying relevant, staying hot, and not getting a certain group of people not supporting them anymore.
Speaker 10: That's what I think.
Speaker 4: I don't see what could Drake and Kalen do to stop.
Speaker 3: Drake did a free Larry Hoover concert.
Speaker 9: That makes more sense because that's an actual action, Like, that's something they raise the way to fort hopefully Larry who can get free.
Speaker 4: Like, what could they do to stop a thousand year old wold.
Speaker 3: He can't stop and he didn't stop Larry Hoover from still being in prison, right, Larry Hoover still locked up, but he put his voice out there and he put his support out there, and it may make a difference in the long run.
Speaker 9: You're just saying that they have these platforms you'd like, Yes, I understand what you're saying. I just I've never seen him do that, So.
Speaker 3: I don't know why they was and they haven't, and that's that's unfortunate. And this is why I think that as time goes on and we're talking about many years in the future, their relevance will pass away as well. They won't live on for you know, eternity, like the iconic people like a Tupac.
Speaker 4: But we appreciate you for joining us. Blad TV, somebody check you out, follow you and all that good stuff.
Speaker 5: What interview should we be checking out right now?
Speaker 3: I got a leader a Cohen interview that's about to drop this new phase all love Love interview that's out. I mean, just a bunch of stuff in the works.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Blad TV. It's the Breakfast Club, The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 1: Morning.
Speaker 4: Everybody is dj n V Charlamagne. The guy we are to Breakfast Club is Friday. So you know what that means. It's time for past the.
Speaker 10: Hawks, It's time for fasty yacht Yeah, DJ.
Speaker 25: Hey, what's up guys in y l A Happy Friday, Haaby Friday.
Speaker 18: Okay.
Speaker 25: So the first record that I'm gonna go with it's gonna be fraid O Bang in Italy Chappa. It's called Sideways, which sure I think you'll like because you really like the one on Drake's tape.
Speaker 9: I love Drake, I love that baby Daddy. Yeah, so I think he puts his hand on his knees every time he record Hall.
Speaker 4: How do you know that. Why is that like a new rhythm, new youth and is everybody trying to do the KPN n B shot my Way?
Speaker 5: Is that the thing now?
Speaker 4: Because that's what it's like. That's what Drake used a little bit this drop before Drake's project drops. So I don't know who did what first.
Speaker 1: I either way, they both sound good.
Speaker 4: That's what you got his name KP and Envy. Oh really, he was a huge kpn VY fan. Which one is envy?
Speaker 5: I don't know. Actually she likes the one.
Speaker 4: She was white one is that envy? Either way, that's what he got his did not get my name from KP and and people?
Speaker 10: I did not tell you that.
Speaker 25: I mean, they're kind of classic, So there's nothing wrong if that's name from cat, that's what you told me that.
Speaker 5: Where did you get your name from?
Speaker 9: It's long story A V Shorty swing my Way, it's yeah, said that to him. That's that's how give first pulled swing Shorty swing my Way. She fell forward and he said they used to call himself that she was k he was Envy and his stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but that's that's a dope song. And I see n L a child, But it's the second song, he's done like that but that but that that kind of jersey bounce.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 4: I like it. Okay.
Speaker 25: So the next one I'm gonna go with is Denzel Curry.
Speaker 5: The joint is called Woo.
Speaker 10: I like it.
Speaker 4: Your picks have been great so far in the streets today.
Speaker 5: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 4: I love that?
Speaker 1: I love Denzel Curry.
Speaker 10: Back in the day.
Speaker 4: Yes, he did not sit to the new studio. I need to get him up here, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the last one I'm gonna go with is R and B.
Speaker 25: I know I gotta throw RB one in because the next past the OX, which is on October twenty if if you haven't already, rs VP's an R and B night. So I'm highlighting a bunch of R and B artists right now. So this is Leon Thomas. He just dropped a fire new R and B album.
Speaker 5: Check it out.
Speaker 25: But my favorite one on there is Crashing Burn.
Speaker 4: Okay, Leon Thomas heard Leon Thomas?
Speaker 5: Are you from?
Speaker 25: I think he was originally a singer, I mean, not a singer, I'm sorry, actor actor an actor turned singer.
Speaker 4: Damn yeh, Leon Thomas. Check out the tape.
Speaker 5: I think you guys would like it.
Speaker 25: Make sure you guys check out the Past the Ox playlist, available by clicking the.
Speaker 1: Link in bio.
Speaker 9: Will Leon Thomas be at the next Past the Dogs Live since his R and B centered, No, he.
Speaker 25: Won't be because we already have three headliners firmed, but we will probably reach out for something else because I think we're gonna do another R and B night during around Valentine's Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jesus Christ, that's a long time away.
Speaker 25: Because the next one is Afrobeat, then the one after that is Wrapped, and then the one after that would be R and B.
Speaker 4: I got you, Okay, we got a system going.
Speaker 25: Okay, make sure you guys tapp in ww do pastadox live dot com. If you guys want to RSVP download the playlist and yeah, I'll see you guys on the score twenty word.
Speaker 4: Alrighty, Well, when we come back, we got the People's Choice mix. You know, we throw back on a Friday. It's the Breakfast Clugal Morning.
Speaker 1: The Breakfast Club.
Speaker 5: Your mornings will never be.
Speaker 1: The same morning.
Speaker 4: Everybody is CJ N V charlamagnea God. We are the Breakfast Club. So let's just salute to Vlad DJ Blad lad TV for joining us this morning. And also Joe Claire, comedian and former host of Rap City on b E T S for joining us.
Speaker 9: If you have not got an opportunity to watch Welcome to Rap City on b T you should check it out. You know, Joe Clad's on the Big Tiger, Big Glass. Chris Thomaston mayor Prince de Joe like all of the you know, the Rap City hosts are on there and they talk about all of the great Rahap City stories. Joe Claire told us a lot of things that they left off the cutting the room floor because his story is deep. I'm sure a lot of their stories are deep, but you can't tell all of their individual stories, you know, in one documentary.
Speaker 5: But saluted Joe Claire and salute.
Speaker 4: The vlad Man. Vlad helped to get arrest in the murder of Tupac. Yes he did.
Speaker 9: That's big, d say what you want, that's big. So salute the blad TV absolutely and listen. I also got to say Happy born Day to our girl, Pretty v Man. Today is Pretty V's born day. Happy born Day, Pretty V.
Speaker 5: I love you. Enjoy your weekend all right, when.
Speaker 4: We come back, we got the positive notes so don't move. It's the Breakfast Club. Good morning morning. Everybody is j n V. Charlamagne de goud We are the Breakfast Club is cold in here.
Speaker 5: It's definitely freezing, man.
Speaker 4: But you got a positive note. Oh yeah.
Speaker 9: Before I get to the positive note, I just want to tell everybody out there, man, Veterans is November seventh, and I can't think of any other way, any better way to celebrate Veterans Day than telling y'all about this book called Invisible Generals by my man Doug Melville. It is the next release off my book in print Black Privilege Publishing. It tells the amazing true story of America's first black generals, Benjamin Old Davis Senior and Junior, a father and son who helped integrate the American military and create the famous Tuskegee Airmen.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 9: So on Veterans Date November seventh, It'll be in bookstores everywhere, but you can pre order it now. And just want to say salute to all the veterans out there, and I can't wait to, you know, just give out of a give out a bunch of books to the veterans, and because I just think it's a great story honoring you know, some veterans, Benjamin O'Davis senior and Junior. So November seventh, it'll be in stores pre order now everywhere you buy books. In Visible Generals by my man Doug Melville, the next release off my book in print, Black Privilege Publishing with Simon and Schuston.
Speaker 5: In the positive notice, simply this.
Speaker 4: Safety.
Speaker 9: And I'm telling you all this because I want y'all to be this weekend, because it is really crazy out here in these screechs.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 9: Safety is not just the absence of danger, but the presence of peace and comfort. So even when you're out here being safe, okay, make sure you try to find some peace and some comfort to go with that safety.
Speaker 4: All right, You'll have a great weekend. Breakfast club bitches, you don't finish, or y'all done.