Speaker 1: And that's what you really missed with Jenna.
Speaker 2: And Kevin an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Welcome to and That's what Really missed podcast the Glee three D E dish Welcome yep here.
Speaker 2: It is the movie that no one saw coming, none of us, No, we didn't. It was one of those add on to the extensive list of things that we did not think were possible. Were one of those things in the original pilot contract that we did not think was ever going to be needed. But here we are. We got to have a movie after the second season.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, this is like the time of like like the Justin Bieber kind of documentary films which shout out to John Chu and like the Katie Perry wan which I loved. And so yeah, okay, this was not that, but it was not that, And this I thought it might be, but it was.
Speaker 2: This was peak Glee. I also wonder if this is also when like, I feel like this was the first indicator that we were a bit oversaturated.
Speaker 1: M that's fair. It just feels like they were like, look, this is probably an easy like drop in, you know, like it We're already doing the tour, so why not just film it and then throw it out, you know, fix it and post and then throw it out into the world. But let's talk about it. Let's talk about So this is Glee three D, the concert movie, and it was released on August twelfth, twenty eleven, which.
Speaker 2: Is crazy because we finished tour the beginning of July and they did post production in six weeks. From the time they started doing posts the time it was out, it was six weeks, which makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Also that tracks, yeah, and what.
Speaker 2: Was wild too, is so you have to understand that in six weeks of tour, we performed for over half a million audience members, right, And so then because we couldn't go on tour for a long cerod of time, they're trying to like maximize the reach, the reach and so then here we are. But like maybe we saw a lot of the people that wanted to see us in person because those shows were sold out.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 2: So we shot this in New Jersey over two days. We came into arenas like we normally do, but for this we came in hours earlier to do some of these steady cam close up things. That's why the wide zucy were sweaty.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: They also shot some of the wides in concert like while we were actually doing the tour. Yeah, just real audiences. Yeah, but yes, we needed the close ups and the steady cans and the things that needed to be where the camera's on stage, and we couldn't really have that while we were doing the actual tour because that would infringe upon our performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all these people that paid to come see the concert, and we did get some of that. There were moments where a steady cam operator and Andrew talked about this, where there was a steady cam that would come out very quickly and briefly so you could see some of the audience and honestly watching this that was Those were some of my favorite moments because there were quick inserts of from behind us to an arena full of people, because I think sometimes you get used to just seeing us on stage and you forget that there's fifteen sixteen thousand people.
Speaker 1: Well it's not Glee, it's Glee the concert, right, So yes, yes, totally. It's it's a more immersive that way reminds you where we are.
Speaker 2: So to talk about the state of mind a bit, we're just jumping in going, I mean sure a bit. We didn't really know what was going on because we were in full tour mode. We hadn't seen anybody, Like we left La right and we were just touring with our whole tour family. There's no Ryan, there's no Zach Woodley or.
Speaker 1: Brooke's going yeah.
Speaker 2: And so then we get to New York and we do these shows in New Jersey and we're filming and all of a sudden, everybody shows up. Everybody shows up, and we're sort of like rehearsing again, trying to figure out and we're a little like beaten down entire rewind.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when they told us we were going to do the three D tour movie the three D I don't either. It feels like it was kind of a dropped in there and then like a runaway.
Speaker 2: But also I think, yes, I think that was probably strategic in how because it really didn't cost us any more time other than showing up early those two days where it's like we got paid a fee but we're still doing the same thing.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What's weird is too is like, so Kevin tantra On, who directed this, I've known Kevin since I first moved to LA when I was fourteen, when I first started coming to Eli actually, and so it was also this and he's friends with John Chew as this very like circular, serendipitous thing where it's like, Okay, Kevin understands performance and dance and is the nicest person. And so then Kevin's coming in to like shoot this thing, but like Ryan's there and everybody's there, and so then we didn't know what the structure of the film was going to be, right. We didn't know that they were going to be these fan interactions at all. We didn't know what they wanted from us backstage, and so that's when Ryan showed up with the camera right and shooting us himself.
Speaker 1: Because I think I'm not I'm sure Ryan had a vision, because Ryan always has a vision, but I'm sure they were also just taking as much footage as possible, kind of like a documentary, like you just shoot and shoot and shoot and then you find your story, right, And so I think they were Ryan's like, we have to get like the confessionals right of the characters. And at one point we weren't sure if we were going to be us or we were going to be our characters, kind of like the tour, like there was a decision to be made, and because the tour was all in character, I think Ryan decided that it was you know, only appropriate that we were also in character for our little confessions, which were very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't like Kenna, oh Kenna, look at us, Jenna and Kevin's experience going a tour. It was Art's experience aging exactly.
Speaker 1: And yeah, there was just it kind of happened before we you we could like blink. It was like they were coming. We were at the end of our tour or before like the end of the US leg, right, and they came in and they kind of like gorilla style shot all those behind the scene things while we were in the makeup room, because that's really where you get all of a lot of us at one time.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: You know, other than that, you're shooting whatever we're you know, doing on stage like we're performing. And yes, we didn't know about the fan interviews, which thank god they did them because that made the whole film what it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we didn't know until we sat down to watch at the premiere, right, and it was so special, like this is actually, oh.
Speaker 1: Why we do it? Yeah, because again, like we didn't like the show like the tour, you don't get those one on one moments with fans. You get droves of fans, you know, trying to get attention or an autograph or something, right, and so we didn't get any of their stories. So thank god for that, I will say, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I mean they were in depth. I felt like I was watching you know, American Idol back in the day where they would like, oh yeah, stick with one person when they were first auditioning. They would go to like get their little story and all that, and it was it was really sweet special.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about what was going on in the world a little bit and then we can get more into the film itself. So the number one song around this time was party Rock anthem like by Ella feol.
Speaker 2: I feel like that paints a really perfect picture of where we were in time time when this movie came out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the number one movie was Rise of the Planet of the Apes. I did see this, you know.
Speaker 2: The movie wasn't number one Glee three D.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely was not. And on August sixth, just a week before the release, the clastically attended the premiere at the Westwood Village Theater in California, and that's where we went to the Twilight premiere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, where it was like full circle moment, Yes, very strange.
Speaker 1: And we also released the soundtrack of the Glee Concert movie, which I have to say I do listen to because it's live. So I like listening to the not as produced Glee songs. And I listened to the Glee three day sometimes some versions of something else.
Speaker 2: I forgot it existed. Okay, I never listened to it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you should go back. It's fun to go listen to, like Ain't Away. And then the album was also made on CD, like who has CD's anyway? And then on August seventh, Kevin Glee won three awards at the Teen Choice Awards were bre but I remember this time getting ready with like our glam team and everything, and it was just NonStop. It was like you're like you again, let's get.
Speaker 2: Ready and if you find pictures of us are the Teen Choice Awards. I clearly was overwhelmed by the amount of things we were doing, because my outfit says as much, because I remember I forgot to like do it plan an outfit and my friends guess Silas Bow at the time was over at my house and He's like, okay, what can we do? And he like took some old clothes I had and like cut off the sleeves.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Really yes, it like really bad things and just started chopping things up and like well this is good enough, Sure, sure, sure we'll do. This's so many pictures where I'm just like what were we thinking? Because everyone looked really good at the movie premiere the day before, and so I think that was And we had a junket all day. We were wink press the entirety of the.
Speaker 1: Day, run out our stuff. I will say, the junkets for the Glee three D movie. You sit in a room and the press comes to you and it's it's it is a lot, but because you're just sitting there and you're waiting for the next person to come in, you get to gab and there's just so many fun memories that we had and I really actually it's one of those press days that I actually enjoyed the most because like we didn't have to move.
Speaker 2: I just remember being out of like out of my mind. You were all out of our minds. I was so tired because all questions too, yes, the same questions you're talking about yourself, which is not like super fun, and then you're talking about the tour that we had just ended doing, so like it was very redundant, you know, like we were worn out about this.
Speaker 5: How was this?
Speaker 2: And also like how was this movie already out?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: It very much felt like that, like where are we what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like and like yeah, what's happening? And then we're like go back to work. Yeah, it was very fast. I don't think I got a surfboard this year. This was the pretty one that I wanted because I like the colors, and that's the one, the ugly one the next year. I don't know if I have the surfboard from this team choice sword. I have a couple I can't find. I don't even know where my teen choice word. Did I give her away?
Speaker 2: Mine are still like bubble wrapped and my garage?
Speaker 1: Isn't it in my garage? Or did I give it away?
Speaker 2: I might have given you might have given it away. You give stuff away.
Speaker 1: Normally I would keep something like that. But I think I kept one surfboard. I don't, but we call it you have it like you actually can surf on them. I will say they did say they gave us the fins, they gave us the wax, like, but who's surfing on their choice award?
Speaker 2: Or Okay, why didn't we get this one?
Speaker 1: I don't think we won and comedy cast we won for comedy like like cast ensemble or whatever.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's right, because with the year before, did I host the year before? Yeah, with Katie Right and the boys or Demi? Oh, Demi, Demi? I hosted in twenty twelve, okay said the following year, yes with Demi? Okay, because then I got one. That's when we got one.
Speaker 1: That's right. Okay, So this movie we had some special guest stars. We had Gwyneth in there who came and did Forget You in Jersey and then also in London.
Speaker 2: Did she helicopter in?
Speaker 1: She helicarapters from New York City over to Jersey. It's a nine minute flight.
Speaker 2: It is so smart because we waited like an hour and a half in track.
Speaker 1: To get through the tunnels.
Speaker 2: She's helicopter again.
Speaker 1: You know what when you're Gwyn's Paltraw, you helicopter in yep. And Jane Lynch, who opened the show for us a couple of times. I in my memory this one and maybe one other one, maybe in La she was there with Matt maybe yeah, or maybe that was Radio City. I can't they're all the they're all blending together. We didn't meet any of these wonderful uh cinematographers, or at least I didn't, or the wonderful editors of this film.
Speaker 2: Well that's you know. When we were talking to Andrew and I was like, oh, you did the steady camera and he' said no, that was somebody else. As a whole three D thing. We didn't meet anybody really because this was all happening behind the scenes where like we sort of went about our same tour day right, Like I said, like we were just on stage and we didn't really know where the cameras were. We were just performing. We also had some like little audience in there during that time, do you remember, hmmm?
Speaker 1: No, we had actually in the morning right, yes, early early matinee if you will.
Speaker 2: Okay, and there was like a small section like close to the stage, I think, just to like give us something to perform for. And then Sam admitted to us that she was there. Sam, do you want to come on for a second so we can ask you about this. Our memories are foggy as you're used to, but you were in the audience. How did that happen?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 6: I had tickets to the first night of the tour, and I remember we were like getting all ready, literally, my friends and I curling our hair, best dresses because we were like maybe someone will see us from like the rafters, you know, so you're getting already, and my friend she like called me and she was like, I think I just won something huge. And I was like what, and she was like, I saw on Twitter they were asking if you're like a Glee fan, so she like entered her name and then they contacted her and we're like, hey, can you be at the Izod Center again tomorrow morning at like eight am and you're gonna watch them film for the three D movie.
Speaker 7: And we were like three D movie because.
Speaker 6: I don't think anyone even knew that was happening at that point, right, So we're like totally, and they're like, and if you come, you'll get tickets to tomorrow night show as well, So we were like, sign us up totally. We went and saw the show and it was amazing, and then the next day we reported for duty at like eight am, and we like lined up outside and then they let us in and they brought us in and they sat us in that section.
Speaker 7: It was like a stage left I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and we were sitting there and we just got to watch you guys like redo the numbers like hundreds of times, like over again, just so they could get the shot. And we sat there all day, and I remember we were like freaking out because we could see you. You were just like hanging out in between sets. I remember you guys are in between songs. I remember you guys laying on the stage and we just it felt like we were like at a freaking zoo watching you're.
Speaker 2: Not much more things.
Speaker 7: We were like, we were.
Speaker 6: All freaking out and you just were like I remember watching you guys like laying on each other on the stage in between each song, and someone would take your your chair, Kevin at some point just like roll around in it, because why not. I remember at one point they had Darren come and talk to us and like amp us up before filming, and everyone was like.
Speaker 7: Oh my god, because he was like right there.
Speaker 6: I also remember us watching Darren was like skateboarding throughout the arena at some point. And then yeah, we just like, we're watching you guys the whole time, and then they had us they would film reaction shots from us. You cannot see me in the movie, especially after rewatching last week. I remember when we went to go see we were devastated, like we were there the whole day, and they filmed the reaction shots from us. They had like dummies sitting next to us too.
Speaker 7: They had like.
Speaker 6: Inflatable people to make it seem like there were people there too, just to fill it out. Yeah, And then after we were there for like hours, it was like amazing, we just got to watch you guys redo it forever. They had us like sit inside the concourse of the arena because they couldn't like let us out to let us back in.
Speaker 1: Oh, she was just like were there all day.
Speaker 7: We were there all day. It was legit, like extra work.
Speaker 6: And then when we were sitting there, I remember the doors were shut and Leah was doing or I don't know if she was sound checking or they had filming her doing don't ran on my Parade, which I think at that point had been like cut from the set.
Speaker 7: So we were all like whoa, we could hear her.
Speaker 6: Doing it, and I remember all of us inside were like cheering from the concourse because we were like, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 6: She went saw the show for the second time that night, so not after the first night all day, and then we went back that night and saw it again. Yeah, it was It was really fun though. We were like, this is the best thing that's ever happened to us. My friend and I were like, this is so cool.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: The odds, I know, how weird is I know, yeah, we were.
Speaker 6: I forget when I was just talking to my friend last night. It had to have been Twitter. It was something like that. It was a social like they were, you know, asking for fans of something like that.
Speaker 7: But it was so cool. Yeah, it was amazing, and.
Speaker 6: There was like a lot of people there. I remember like both nights I think were sold out or something. Our second night seats were like behind the stage, like I was just for photos and our viewers from like behind the stage just looking because I remember I posted the whole thing on Facebook.
Speaker 7: At the time, like oh my god.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll have to send you guys the photos because I thought we had it.
Speaker 7: We were like superstars. But it was a really fun experience.
Speaker 2: So for us it was fun.
Speaker 6: I know it was crazy for you guys, but for fans it was really really fun.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, M glad your memory is better than ours now, Claire.
Speaker 1: Yes, thanks Sam.
Speaker 2: I do remember that us like hanging out with everybody on the floor while we were filming. And I will say we didn't not enjoy this. We just were sort of like, what are we doing? Tell us where to go and do it? Yeah, And it was nice to actually catch up with people. I remember, like hanging out with Zach all day. Hadn't seen in age, like since we had left Vegas or right. And I do remember because we had done the show so many times by that point, you know what the lighting looks like, you know what the crowd looks like. I remember looking out at the stage both nights we did that, especially, I think it was the second night was like the really big night and it was lit differently and it looked so cool. I think they added an extra lights for the entire thing, but they all I think there was also extra lights for the audience to light the audience in a way and because you can't normally see them, And I have this very distinct memory of looking out and literally being able to see every single row and it was so cool and it felt it just felt bigger. It felt like a really important, interactive, immersive thing, you know, especially after you've done the show. You know it in and out, you can sort of do it with your eyeshut, and then all of a sudden you're like, oh my god, there's that many people here. And then we had you know, family and friends there too, and so.
Speaker 1: Well you also have like in the inner ear zone so you can hear yourself, hear the music, and it kind of drowns out the screaming fans. But you know, mid show, I'd always take them out, or at least one, just so I could feel and hear what they felt like and what you know, how cool that was. And it was like when you're looking at people's faces, there's just a different like when you're connecting with people and fans versus like how stadiums are so massive it feels kind of impersonal. So to be able to see all these faces there, knowing that, like Sam said, is like the best day of their lives. It's like, that's so cool. I I do remember that. I do remember in some photos of Jersey seeing like in the Encore, I remember it being brighter, like I remember us looking brighter as well, like our blue jackets looking brighter. I also remember the second day we shot the we came in like a little bit earlier to do like a couple of extra things for the movie. It wasn't a full I don't think it was a full day. That's when we did dog Days and that's when it was getting close to the show.
Speaker 2: I remember, yes, and.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately it was like this is why, this is why I got cut. Really, I know, I joke about it all the time and I had like a pusspace about it, But actually what happened was we got really close to the show. The camera was taking a long time. Kevin was like he didn't know any of us well enough to be like stay here, So like people were just like all right, I gotta get ready for the show and like starting to like kind of leave. And I remember during it going I don't think we got what we needed for this number, or at least being disappointed that like, yeah, it didn't get the time, you know what I.
Speaker 2: Mean, that everything else mattered you coming back and saying that and just being a little bummed out, like I don't know what's going to happen, but.
Speaker 1: And then I just never thought they would cut it without telling me. But it's it's okay, it's not all about me. But I was bummed about it, and I remember very distinctly thinking like, I don't think we got everything for this number, because which is.
Speaker 2: A bummer, because such a number. The number is so good. It also looks beautiful. Yeah, you guys sound so good.
Speaker 1: They also like, there's it is in the extras, so like they did get enough. Yeah, yeah, it's weird. It's very strange.
Speaker 2: It is also weird how they completely changed the order of the set list.
Speaker 1: No, I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: It is just like random, and it's I you know, it goes I guess in accordance to the stories they're telling in it exactly. But part of me want to be like, can I just I want to see it in the order how we did it, because I think it was structured really, it was paced really well, like there was a whole thing of group numbers, solo numbers, and the classroom thing, like there were segments intentionally.
Speaker 1: Right, Maybe we're just attached to it. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Probably we're too. Yeah, so something we wanted to do for this episode because the movie was really all about the fans and finding people who connected with the show on a deeper level. Also shout out to all the people who said they were getting tattoos Berkeley. So we had a bunch of people, actually, like an overwhelmingly amount of people, large amount of people send in voice memos about their experience with the movie, and so we're gonna play some and talk about it.
Speaker 1: I'm really excited to hear. Actually, Sam was telling us that there's like a lot of people who wrote are voiced in and let's do it.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 9: First of all, this is Andrew maguire from Gleickly Week Podcasts. You all reached out and asked if I had any memories of the Gley three D concert movie or that tour somemmer in general and oh my god, you know that TikTok sound where it's like, oh my god. I had noowt this question. Unfortunately, I was unable to go to the tour, and I was very very jealous of all the There was a group of girls I remember that all went to the Philadelphia up date in a limo and I was like, y'all do not deserve this.
Speaker 8: I that should be me.
Speaker 9: But I did go to see the movie later that summer on a random weekday in the middle of the day with my mom, and in my head, I was like, Okay, there, it's going to be packed with gleeks. I'm ready to be surrounded by my people. Of course, when we arrived to the theater, absolutely not a soul in sight. We watched the movie and it wasn't until the very end that I saw that there was a guy sitting by himself in the back row of the theater.
Speaker 8: I thought we were alone, and yet we weren't.
Speaker 9: Anyway, I've already shared this with Jenna during our episode with y'all, but the fact that dog Days Are Over was not part of the movie but Virgin story, Like, I'm convinced that that's why my theater was empty. Like they were like, oh, there's no Tinquin Chang representations. I am not actually going out to the AMC today, But on a railo, I did love the fact that there were some gleek spotlight representation in the movie, specifically Trenton talking about his coming out experience and talking about it on such a platform. Was such a moment for me in my own coming out experience, and I am positive that it had such a great effect on other closeted queer youth.
Speaker 10: So love that.
Speaker 9: All in all, Summer twenty eleven was for the Gleeks. We had the tour, the movie, and we had the first season of the Glee Project.
Speaker 8: We stayed fed that entire summer.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for you.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's not wrong. It was the summer of the Gleeks. We gave them everything we had, I know, truly, and shout out to Trenton who shared his story. I think all those like wonderful people who came on there to you know, put there to be vulnerable in a movie like that where you're sort of going in cold and like, here's my story, and I hope the world appreciates it where it's like you never know who's going to affect and there you go, you know, you have somebody who's personally impacted by that in such a great way.
Speaker 1: Yes, and there are so many of those stories, so I'm glad we could highlight one, just one.
Speaker 11: Who's next, Hey, Kevin and Jenna, it's your girl Alex in Manhattan I'm so excited that you guys are making an episode all about the Glee three D Concert movie. I can't wait to hear all of the stories that you guys have to share, but I definitely have some stories to tell of my own, so thank you so.
Speaker 8: Much for reaching out.
Speaker 11: I saw the movie the day it came out in theaters, and I was ten years old, and I went with my older cousin, who is about to flee for college, and that was something that really bonded us at the time, despite our age difference, was our shared love of the Glee music. And I remember I went to the theaters checked out in my finest Glee merch that I had gotten from Claire's, so as you can imagine, I probably looked super chic.
Speaker 8: And I think that the movie was.
Speaker 11: In theaters for like two weeks, and I remember I dragged my grandparents to the theater and begged them to take me to see it for a second time.
Speaker 10: And there was.
Speaker 11: A movie theater employee there who had overheard that conversation and came up to me and offered me the Glee three D Concert movie lanyard that they were wearing, and I just remember thinking that that was just such a nice gesture from Gleek to gleek and it has.
Speaker 10: Stuck with me for the last twelve years and.
Speaker 11: More recent note, I have since bought the Glee three D Concert movie on iTunes. And in college, some of my roommates and I were looking for something to watch after a long night and decided her on some wholesome family fun that was the Glee three D Concert Movie. And this is where we would usually say that this isn't our story to tell, but my roommate Zoe has.
Speaker 8: Given us permissions.
Speaker 11: So right as Puckett started singing Fat Pottom Girls, she ended up doubling over in pain and we had to take her to the emergency room and she ended up having kidney stones and we spent the night there and when we it came back the next morning, our TV was still puzzed on Fat Bone and Girls in the Club, so we sat down and we watched it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 11: None of us thought that that would be a memory that we would look back on fondly, but surprisingly we do.
Speaker 8: And I just think that that is the spirit of.
Speaker 2: Glee branding to the TV.
Speaker 11: I'm sure that there's so many other people who have similar stories about the Glee movie and so thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to share mine.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sweet. I love people who forced their family members to go with them to the movie. There was a lot of that, you know, the show bringing people together, and that's what we saw in person too. The demographic of people, how wide it was was we could never get used to that.
Speaker 1: I think we thought we were going to be performing for a ton of tweens at the tour, yeah, to be honest, and we had moms, grandma's couples. It was really like an adult full grown adults jamming out like they were at a bon Jovi concert.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you just said, it was good, wholesome, family fun truly. And there's this man in the movie who talks about he has like three daughters and two sons and it's something that they can all bond over every single week and watch it together. And I would imagine from the standpoint of like Ryan brad and Ian that has to feel really good to create something that is talking about and showing so many different walks of life, and yet you can bring in so many different types of people together, families together, I just had another memory of do you remember what? Also, we were talking about a lot backstage when we were filming this what the Glee Project?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: So the Glee Project started airing while we were on tour, and we really didn't know anything about the Glee Project tbh. We were stored. I don't know if we were ever officially told it was happening or we all found out, you know, when trickles. I don't know, but I remember it was the first time that we were around Ryan since it had come out, and we were all sort of like, so, what's up with this?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: And remember we all he had to like get us all into a meeting or was it and talk about what the Glee Project was just so like we didn't think they were hiring people to come like take our jobs and things like that.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, because we were definitely feeling confused by it.
Speaker 2: What is this being replaced? So this was so new? Interesting. A lot of my memory of that day was there was this slight undercurrent of panic, Yes, what the hell is happening?
Speaker 1: Well, especially because we were going into a new season, right, so like we didn't know what was coming. Yeah, Okay, that's a good memory, Kevin, that's very interesting. We should talk about that in more, in more in depth at somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's definitely do a Glee Project episode.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, Yeah, get on some of those So some of those peeps.
Speaker 2: Also shout out to Damien. Was Damien McGuinty in this movie?
Speaker 1: He was there? Yeah, he was there. They showed him. We need to get Damien on. We need to get Samuel Larsona, and we need to get Hannah. We need to get Lindsay. We need to get all these people because I think, yes, Bally, yes, Damien, we get in our sweet, sweet prodigal Damian McGuinty is they.
Speaker 2: I love that chat?
Speaker 12: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's play another voice note.
Speaker 13: Okay, Hi, Kevin and Jenna, This is Alexis Reese from South Florida and this is my Lee Live three D concert movie story. So in twenty ten, I had senior guys at Radio City Music Hall for your first tour and it was the best concert I ever been too.
Speaker 8: I was obsessed.
Speaker 13: I was twelve years old, and so naturally, when the second tour was announced, my mom got us VIP tickets first row. Meet great with you guys and I was so excited.
Speaker 8: This was in Ohio.
Speaker 13: Because for some reason, you guys had something against Florida, so we always had to travel to see you guys.
Speaker 10: Not a problem.
Speaker 13: So a few months out, I auditioned for The X Factor with a bunch of girls. We were in a little girl group. We were from the ages like thirteen to fifteen. It was really cool and we made it all the way to the live rounds with the judges Simon Cowell, Paul Abdul, l A Reed, Nicole Scherzinger. So the filming of the live audition with all of the big names that's going to be on TV was the same exact day as Glee Live.
Speaker 1: And I to make a choice.
Speaker 13: Twelve year old me had to make a choice X Factor, my career or Glee, and I stupidly chose the X Factor because when we got on see in front of fifteen hundred people, we bombed and Simon Cowell said we sounded like twenty five cats being ran.
Speaker 1: Over the freeway.
Speaker 13: So all in all, I did not get to see you guys on that world tour, and I was devastated. I thought for sure you guys were gonna go on tour again. I guess what, you guys never went on tour again. And this story still haunts me because I am the biggest gleep that there ever was and I didn't see this tour and I'm still devastated. I'm still horrified. So with that being said, when all the clips of you guys on tour were coming out and when you guys dropped the CD for this tour, I was hysterical. The very first night of that tour, I was sitting in my bedroom looking at your faces on my posters, crying as I'm listening.
Speaker 1: To the d D D da da da.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was awful.
Speaker 10: Back to the movie.
Speaker 13: My mom ended up getting me like bi pee tickets to this like pre screening.
Speaker 10: Of the movie.
Speaker 13: We got all this like free merch and all these theme things.
Speaker 10: It was very, very fun.
Speaker 13: It was such a cool experience because I never see you guys at that capacity and.
Speaker 10: It was just so so much fun.
Speaker 13: So yeah, that's my little Glee Live story. I love the movie. I watched it all the time, but it was just not the same I seen you guys in person, And to this day, I think about that decision and I'm like, why did I do that?
Speaker 10: So yeah, that's not on that Okay.
Speaker 2: Bye, No, I think you made the right decision.
Speaker 1: Definitely.
Speaker 2: You and I share that experience of being told negative things by Simon on stage on ins factor.
Speaker 1: I do also think that this just reminds me like that the movie, for all the weird things that it was, like, it's still people who weren't able to make it through the tour really did get a piece of it in some way.
Speaker 2: Totally, and I do. I do like, even though we're playing our characters and saying the weirdest, most random game of ad libs mad libs behind the curtain, it is also cool to see, like those were the rooms we were getting ready in that is us just like hanging out backstage. So it was like a little taste of that. I remember us all talking how we wanted we wished there was more behind the scenes stuff of us in real life, to actually to meet the crew members, to see like what our daily routine is, just to like the experience of showing up to an arena when there's nobody there and all that process and then going out into the world and seeing that there's you know, sixteen thousand people screaming at you, right, but it's still the ditch job. People went to it and liked it.
Speaker 1: Let's keep going, keep it moving. I got a lot of people who wrote who voiced in you guys.
Speaker 8: My name is Jordan. I'm from Vermont, and funny enough, I'm.
Speaker 14: Currently watching the episode of the Office where they have a Glee viewing party.
Speaker 8: Y'all talked about that.
Speaker 14: But anyways, my experience with the Glee three D movie. I was a big fan of Glee obviously, and my dad, who we don't bond on too much, but we watched Glee together and we enjoyed that, and so we went to see the movie together and we turned out to be the only ones in the theater, which can be pretty but that's really fun because I was dancing in the aisles to all the songs and I loved the whole movie, and my dad loved the movie and it was a super fun experience and a really fun memory.
Speaker 10: Love the podcast.
Speaker 2: Thank you guys, Thank you. I love that there does.
Speaker 1: Seem to be a running theme that they were the only ones in the theater.
Speaker 2: Empty theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, also like bringing you know, like to not have a lot of things in common with your with your father and then to be able to for Glee to be able to do that again. It's just good reminders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's sweet.
Speaker 1: It's sweet. What's deep going?
Speaker 15: Oh my god, Hid and I hike Kevin. Yeah, my name is Max. I'm from Amsterdam. And yeah, my first time wasn't Glean. When when I was teen, there was like a girl's night at my local theater.
Speaker 8: And it was all pink.
Speaker 15: Themes and like you got all girls stuff and there was like girl toys or whatever, and then all the girls get to watch the movie together. But it was the only way of watching the Glean movie for like the direct first time. So I tried to buy a ticket. They wouldn't let me in because I'm a boy. But then my mom came and then my mom threatened to shoot the theater. I believe them of sexism, and then I got it instantly. So yeah, I'm really thrateful to my brother.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have to somehow sue your way in to see the Glee movie. That may be the only one who did that in the entire world.
Speaker 1: And all girls thing, Hey, what what what is it that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Why are we? Why are we excluding?
Speaker 2: They hadn't seen the show. They didn't know what it was about.
Speaker 10: C Hi, guys, I'm Mitchie.
Speaker 16: I'm from Argantina and I watched Lee from the beginning, and obviously we didn't get the tour here, so when the movie was released, it was like our way of experiencing it in our country. So we were dancing this at the cinemas and singing and it was so much fun and we cried all the way through the end credits.
Speaker 10: So it was great.
Speaker 12: We wish we could get the show, the actual show, but the movie was was good as well.
Speaker 10: So Hi, thank you, and let's from Argentina.
Speaker 1: Bye, Wow Argentina.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what was so special. Like the movie ended up making more money internationally right than it did domestically, And I think that's because, like we didn't get to go all to all those places, right. I did want to do another tour, do you remember? I had, like you, I had an idea for another tour.
Speaker 1: You did? I was like, you're crazy.
Speaker 2: There was no way I was going to get anybody to agree to it exactly, but I was trying to make it simpler to do bigger venues, go to one city and my name for like several days. Yeah, and like, do South America, do Asia? Do all the places we didn't get to go to do Australia, so you know, at least there is the movie for that. They got to experience it in Argentina.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were the only one thinking of another tour, and well, because I.
Speaker 2: Was thinking if we did stadiums we would be Yeah, then I was it would incentivize people. You can make more money that way. So that's how that was.
Speaker 1: Now years because you're a smart cookie, none of us were thinking that way. We were thinking chefs and chefs and drivers.
Speaker 2: You know, no time for sure. Yeah, It's like the world was overstaturated with Glee, and then in a different way, the cast was also oversaturated with Glee.
Speaker 1: True, we were all oversaturated with Glee. Okay, let's keep going.
Speaker 17: Hi, Kevin and Jenna. My name is Anika. I'm from Vancouver, Canada. I went to see the Glee concert in Toronto. I went to one of the Mattine shows and I had front tickets and I was so excited that the concert was going to come out as a movie version.
Speaker 8: I basically spent the whole summer talking about.
Speaker 17: The concert, and so when the movie was coming out, they did like a special screening to see the movie specifically for Glee fans, and so it came with a merch package that had a bag, a ticket with a lanyard, three D classes of bracelet, a pin, and a hat. So it was just for gleiks and we all sing along, we all danced. Sure, the theater was sold out and it was seriously so much fun.
Speaker 1: Sold out the first time.
Speaker 2: For everything I do love, though, that has to be such a like like I went to the Justin Bieber one, I went to the Katy Perry one. But I'm not someone who necessarily like sing in a theater, right unless it was Beyonce. So for people who like this was their favorite thing, what a special experience you get to do that and like share that with people who love it as much as you do.
Speaker 10: Right, hey, guys, it's your read.
Speaker 18: I'm from the Netherlands, and because I'm from there, I could not go to the show. I was super devastated, and I followed a tour one basically every night.
Speaker 10: I remember the Dublin the very last Dublin show.
Speaker 18: Specifically because the old As went rogue in every performance and Darren kissed Chris on stage and I kissed Heather on stage, and some ofder on Twitter completely broke down, like it's stopped working because.
Speaker 10: All of the fans were online talking about it. It was crazy.
Speaker 18: After the tour, I definitely saw this for the movie theaters because we made it our own concert experience.
Speaker 10: Friends and I just sang along to every song. There were like two other people there. I think I knew all the choreo to ver.
Speaker 18: Deep because I saw YouTube videos of the cast dancing it behind Nyan Ember so many times.
Speaker 10: I loved watching Jenna and Heather do that.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 10: Love you guys, love this podcast.
Speaker 18: It brings back so many good memories and I have so many.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you so much. I just I just love. I'm so glad we did this, are doing this. I know.
Speaker 1: I love hearing from our fans from across the world. And we don't get to do it a lot. We're just talking at a blank zoom to each other, always to each other. But that's this is awesome. Yes, you're right, Kevin, Let's hear a few more.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 12: My name is Kendall Cole, and I am from Saint Paul, Minnesota. When I first heard about the Glee three D concert movie.
Speaker 8: I was absolutely excited.
Speaker 12: I remember listening to the first couple of albums and listening to them on repeat, to the point where I even scratched a couple of the CDs. But to see that it was gonna be a movie form, I was just beyond excited. We planned on seeing it opening day.
Speaker 8: Who was me and my.
Speaker 12: Mom and my sibling, and I wanted to dress up as Mercedes, so I wore this sparkly purple shirt with this awesome hat. I don't know, it just gave me Mercedes vibes. But it was just amazing, and I remember at the end of the movie, I didn't want to leave my seat. I was too excited and I just wanted to stay there and.
Speaker 10: Watch it again.
Speaker 8: It was so awesome.
Speaker 12: I also tried to contain myself from singing all the.
Speaker 8: Lyrics during the movie.
Speaker 12: It was so good, and I remember it seeing it two times after that as well.
Speaker 8: I loved watching it as well as the show.
Speaker 2: Wow, I love that repeat offenders. I get it, you know. It's also it's everything you want. You also have the best seats in the house.
Speaker 1: You get whatever seat you want.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: The world is your oyster. Oh God, I'm sorry him.
Speaker 19: My name is Daisy and I'm from England. I love the Glee three da concerts so much because all of the songs are just amazing, the performances were amazing, the whole show was just put together so amazingly. And my favorite performance would have to be Riverty Mountain High because Amber and.
Speaker 8: I just sleigh so hard.
Speaker 19: They literally killed that. I love them together, I love their friendship. The concert was the first thing I actually ever bought. I brought it on a DVD from a Thrive store and it's literally my prize possession. I just love it so much, like I love seeing the click us together on stage doing what they love, and just everything about it was just amazing, Like the dancers were amazing, the whole performances were amazing.
Speaker 10: I love it so much.
Speaker 19: I have something. I have the bath bag from the tour. I have some cute little merch from the premiere. I have Leah's blue jacket with g on it.
Speaker 20: What also, Kevin, we heard in Nya's book something about you crawling on the floor outside your hotel in London after the show, and we need a storytime for this.
Speaker 2: We do need the story time for that Kevin I was crawling on the floor outside of my hotel room in London. I mean that sounds like a lazy stripper moment. Yeah, I'm entirely sure.
Speaker 1: Outside in London. Where were we in the Savoy Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of lazy stripper moments, which was a dance that we would do, and it's it is what it says, it is, You're just being a lazy stripper. Naya does a little of it during Valerie in the movie twice. Actually really I cut it twice. She does it once. I river deeper. She slaps her own ass.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite.
Speaker 2: And then she during Valerie when she's walking shaking your shoulders, it's the same part she did in the show at the film version, you know the series as well. That's probably what it was. I imagine. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, you never know. The world is your oyster.
Speaker 3: A little bit about my Lee three D experience, honestly, was that I was a sophomore in college and may have gone a couple of friends to skip a class or two, was just about to turn twenty one, may have talked my older friends into bring in some flask in for us, but honestly, it was like being front row at a concert. It was the most amazing experience. You guys looked like you were having a blast on stage. We as an audience were having a blast with you. There was people dancing, everybody was singing. I don't think anybody was sitting, to be honest, I'm pretty sure we were all standing and it literally felt like we were at front row at a concert, just having a ball. It was the coolest experience ever.
Speaker 5: I really appreciate what you guys have done and like, honestly, like I didn't get to go to watch you guys live, but that three D movie made me feel like I got to watch you guys live.
Speaker 10: You guys are so talented.
Speaker 8: Thank you for that movie.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 1: Terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh this is really good for like a if we ever need an ego boost, Like what am I going to come back to the world? Yeah? Yeah. I was asking my family if they went to the movie, and my sister said she went twice.
Speaker 1: I believe that my brother did as well because she went to imagine Oh yes, that's right.
Speaker 2: And then she she said it was so cool crazy. Then she had to go again, like without the craziness of all that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you need to like go have a second with it.
Speaker 2: I had a friend of mine. I was talking to him the other day and I was like, did you watch Glee. He's like, no, I didn't, but I did watch the movie, and I go, well, we're doing an episode about the movie, so like, if you have anything you want to contribute, and he just sent me a voice note.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Hi, Kevin Diva, this is Jared Gellman, your best friend lover Hey icon inspo. Anyways, I have to let you know about my experience with the Glee movie.
Speaker 8: I saw it in three D.
Speaker 4: I was possessed by Slave for you.
Speaker 8: I mean, that was culture.
Speaker 4: I was just so enthralled, and my most exciting moment of that entire film experience I was watching You do Pretty Young Thing live.
Speaker 8: I saw it next thing I knew.
Speaker 4: I wanted to break my legs, steal a wheelchair and just recreate it. I still may I'm gonna get the passco to your garage door, so if you're missing your wheelchair.
Speaker 8: Oops.
Speaker 2: Love you, Mike, Love you, Jared. Thanks for love you, Jared. I mean, Slave was a moment watching Heather perform every single night was a gift.
Speaker 1: I remember you would always did you have time? You would go and watch it often?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah I did. Yeah, I remember that as really I needed to learn it. Yeah, and so I'd usually stand somewhere on the side and try to I try to do that. Yeah. Yeah, you know. What can I say?
Speaker 10: My name is.
Speaker 21: Lauren, I'm from New Jersey and I went to the East Rutherford show. It was so much fun and absolutely crazy. We didn't know that there was even.
Speaker 10: Going to be a movie until we.
Speaker 21: Got there and someone came out on.
Speaker 10: Stage and was like, we're gonna be filming this.
Speaker 21: Let's chant out all the characters' names, Kurt, Mercedes, Rachel. We were like, oh, that's different, okay, and then sus Silvester comes out, Jane Lynch comes out wearing her blue tracksuit wedding gown, and we were like, oh, that's that's also different. And then Gwyneth Paltrow comes out and sings Forget You. And we had known the setlist because we were keeping up with the other shows, so that was insane.
Speaker 10: But it was absolutely crazy. But I'm so glad that's the show I got to go to.
Speaker 21: It was such a fun night and as a massive Glee f and it.
Speaker 8: Was just such an amazing experience.
Speaker 2: That is true. I didn't think about that. People showing up to that one were like, is this how it is? Every night? Right?
Speaker 1: They got a special one.
Speaker 2: It's true. It's like with Beyonce. Adds in the Big Three to Renaissance tour stopped talking about Beyonce.
Speaker 1: They never stopped talking about Beyonce. That was awesome. And how many people actually like voice memo in was awesome. Thank you guys for all of your memories. It really is like grounding to hear all of you guys talk about your experiences, and we love to hear it.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, thank you so much for spending your time watching the movie, getting your friends and family to go to the movie, and then sharing that experience with us today. So special. I love it made my day so cute. I bet some of my siblings didn't even go.
Speaker 1: You know, you have a lot of siblings, so I would give one of them, you know, like one out of the Oh no.
Speaker 2: My brothers got really quiet in the group chat when I asked if they went to the movie.
Speaker 1: See that's what I'm saying. They had seen enough Kevin, there was a out of glee at the time. Whatever you can't keep up, Okay, let's I think we should do some tardy takes.
Speaker 2: I would love to.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the cringe moments, I was saying that cutting Dog Days out of.
Speaker 2: That absolutely yes, mistake, huge cringe, huge ouchiet no, unacceptable, no excuses.
Speaker 1: Okay. Best dance move I pick safety dance or yours and I Valerie val Valerie.
Speaker 2: I was watching this this morning and Austin's like, well, this is just.
Speaker 1: The best number that in riverde but the like Carrie and Heather are running in that, Like what.
Speaker 2: A shout out to all of the dancers, because friends, the dancers are pulling like triple duty. The guys are in the warblers and are dancing with us. The girls are in every single number. They're on spin bikes doing single ladies. It's a lot, and they never have a break and are like the nicest, most sounded people. It's such a great group of dancers.
Speaker 1: Best song, Jenna, River Deep, River Deep, That's my vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think River Deep. And you know, I got a little emotional watching Somebody to Love.
Speaker 1: I love that one too.
Speaker 2: Also weird to put it like as a post credits type of thing.
Speaker 1: Agreed.
Speaker 2: I don't know about that best performance by a prop.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I honestly don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean the slushie thing.
Speaker 1: Oh the confetti slushies. Okay, I think they made them into three D slushies right, Yes, they were confetti slushies in the tour.
Speaker 2: There are also some like extra fireworks during fireworks like that's not Did we add that in post?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: They did, because I wish it lived that cool in real life.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, the best lines. All of your stuff was great. It was so weird, really funny, very funny.
Speaker 2: I was, yeah, and just I already got real gay.
Speaker 1: He did, but I loved it. Yeah, you just saying like you were contender. Pimples will be seen in three D.
Speaker 2: That was also we shot that in Dublin. Do you remember, oh the makeup Like, no, the makeup stuff was shot in New Jersey, but the room I'm in when I'm talking about pimples, I think that was all shot in Dublin because I think we needed more scene stuff, so somebody came was filming that. I also remember sending in. I went to We went to London after that and Kevin tantra on hitting me up, and I had to send in voice memos so interesting, like dubbing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whoa, that's how fast they were moving.
Speaker 2: Nya saying that she just drinks latis was very good.
Speaker 1: That was definitely a Naya Nya.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I thought Island's improv skills were pretty good.
Speaker 1: No, very good, very good performance MVP. I gotta say, okay, performance, MVP. I think Amber takes the cake in terms of her vocals. She always takes the cake. She was, she was, And then I have to say the tour, MVP, movie, tour, movie, whatever, the whole thing was, Kevin, why because you were a cheerleader. You were a literal cheerio, cheering us on, keeping us afloat.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sweet. You loved tour. I did, and I love all of you, and I loved watching everybody perform every night you did. I loved watching people, love watching you guys like I.
Speaker 1: You loved it all. You loved it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was just nice to be able to, like, you know, like, look, Naya wasn't that confident in her like performance ability. She was nervous to go out there and sing, and there would be nights. I'd be like, go out there and do this. She's like, I don't know, I don't know if I might just do this like you're gonna. And so to be able to watch everybody go out there and Chris was like, I'm singing live, I'm doing this and he was out there by himself. Yeah, and you know, it's it's not every day that you get an opportunity to do that. And then I also do as like you said, as weird, as like the movie was random, as the movie was, it is nice to have that forever, to look back and be like, you know, we did this thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: I kind of want to say the MVP is all of us because we got through it.
Speaker 1: My h no, not all of us, but that's it. Are we doing a TikTok this episode? We sure are okay.
Speaker 2: Unrelated, just like you are the only exception in the Brittany episode. This TikTok was posted on Lilia's TikTok liar and it is the five Stages of Gleef, which is pretty great. It's a guy watching it and talking about at what stage are you a fan of a different character? As you're binge watching it, and it's very relatable for us.
Speaker 1: Funny, very funny, lilyar very good.
Speaker 2: Also, it is just so crazy to see, like the age of people watching Glee. It really is.
Speaker 1: It's also some of those fans who called in said that they were ten years old when it was on is troubling me.
Speaker 2: But yeah, when she said she was ten, you and I looked at your like like, oh, I got a bunch in the stomach, But also like at least they were alive, because some of the people on TikTok were not alive right right and posting watching Glee and have opinions and.
Speaker 1: They were just floating souls waiting to come inside.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for joining us today. Thank you again for sitting in all those things.
Speaker 1: Yes, what a fun episode.
Speaker 2: Next episode, Jenna to season three? Are we season three? I have to say, I'm very excited because I feel like I'll be watching it all for the first time.
Speaker 1: Best season.
Speaker 2: Do you really you stand by that it's the best season.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I've just heard people are saying it's this season. I have to find out because I've never seen it. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: We just haven't seen it. Since it's been on.
Speaker 1: It's been a while.
Speaker 2: And I'm also not somebody who watches reruns.
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I'm excited, so like, oh I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I saw Friends when it was on. I have watched it since I just watched it last night. And then all of you people say, well, I know you don't like Friends, Like, no, I just watched it when it was on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not like a rewatch.
Speaker 2: No, so should do this podcast?
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'll only rewatch it if I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Just kidding. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And That's what you really missed. Thanks for listening and follow us on Instagram at and That's what you really miss pod. Make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. See you next time.